Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: For a Bloomberg audiences worldwide. I'm David Weston and we're delighted to welcome the Secretary Treasurer, mister Scott Bessant to our students in New York.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, mister Secretary.
Speaker 1: For being here. David, thanks for having.
Speaker 2: Me, particularly just fresh off a flight from Banff. All right, from the G seven, and we want to talk about that. But first of all, while you're up there, you might not have heard the House of Representats actually passed a bill, the tax bill you've been talking about for so long. Give us your sense of the scoring as it were on that bill, because I know you're concerned about the deficit. A lot of people concerned it it's not helping us that much of the deficit.
Speaker 1: Well, David, I think this bill is very important because, as I've said, our economic policy was trumpet. An economic policy's a really three legged stool, so it's trade, taxes, and deregulations. So this tax bill first step making it through the House. I think the permanence in the bill from twenty seventeen is going to give everyone's talking about, oh, there's not enough certainty. Now, well, what I can tell you is this permanence is going to give great certainty. And I think the scoring you and I have talked about it quite a bit. It's Washington style scoring and it's not real world scoring. What I am concerned about, or have been concerned about. Are we controlling expenses? Yes? Are we going to grow the economy and accelerate the economy and stabilize and then bring down the total debt to GDP? And I think this bill does a great job of that.
Speaker 2: As you told us more than once, one of your goals is a deficit that's no greater than three percent of GDP. The scoring the predictions on this bill as it's written right now is seven percent, maybe six and a half percent next year, not anything close to three percent. Now, you said we won't get there right away, but when will we get there?
Speaker 1: Well, David, what I've talked about is something with a three in front of it by twenty twenty eight. We didn't get here overnight. We're not going to get there tomorrow. But what we've got to do is change a trajectory and start moving it down. So could we get down to six percent something below there with a five handle because what the scoring doesn't include. We have substantial tariff income coming in, so that's not included. We have dose savings in the hundreds of billions, that's not included. And then President Trump has made this very Bowld proposal on prescription drug pricing, which could save HHS substantial amounts of money. So none of those are included. So I'm very optimistic.
Speaker 2: So let's include those for a moment here and start with the first one that you identify, which is tariffs. We've had some announcements even very recently about tariffs maybe fifty percent from EU and twenty five percent on apple products. Is that motivation for that revenue? I mean, do you need those tariffs actually to go into effect to meet the numbers Union in deficit?
Speaker 1: Not at all, because we have substantial revenue coming in now, and there is at some point there's an equilibrium rate. It's called a lafter curve for tariffs, so and I think we will reach that rate. The other thing that's happening is a lot of their tariff barriers or non tariff trade barriers. A lot of these non tariff trade barriers are coming down, so friction is decreasing there and again because we don't know where these tariff negotiations are going to end up. They won't end up being scored, but several hundred million dollars a year, several hundred billion dollars a year of revenue that will be used for every one hundred billion, that's one hundred billion less of bonds a treasury has to issue.
Speaker 2: When you talk about uncertainty and getting more certainly because the tax bill, some of the uncertainty, A lot of it is because of tariffs right now, because we're not exactly sure we're going to end up. Do you have a sense when the economic community, the business community will get better certainty on tariffs.
Speaker 1: Well, we've done the ninety day pause. As I've mentioned several times, we have eighteen important trading partners. So what everyone should really focus on are those. We've done a deal with the UK. My sense is over the next couple of weeks we're going to have several large deals announced. We have put a pause and a ninety day pause with China. I expect that we will be negotiating in person with them again. And then the President today when we initiated the pause, the pause and the ten percent are moving down from the April second rate to the ten percent level was contingent on countries or trading blocks coming and negotiating in good faith, and I think the President was getting frustrated with the EU. You know the problem with EU, I've said several times they have a collective action problem. They're twenty seven countries, they all have different needs. The Germans they are interested in cars of French and agriculture, so and then you have Brussels negotiating with them. Now I am very impressed. I met my German counterpart who's part of the new German government, the German Finance minister in bamp that he was very responsive. I think that the new Chancellor Mertz is going to give a opportunity for a US Germany reset. So I'm very optimistic that perhaps Germany can help push the EU forward.
Speaker 2: Here, let's talk from something you know terribly well, have lived it your professional life, which is the markets. The bond market hasn't necessarily stood up and applauded with what they've seen out of Congress.
Speaker 3: Is the bond market wrong?
Speaker 1: Well, I think the notion that in any movements in the bond market being driven by the action of Congress. Is what's wrong? First of all, this has been a global phenomenon that the Japanese yields and most substantially German, UK and David. If we go back and look since either the beginning of the year or January twentieth, when the Trump administration came in the US tenure, is the only yield that is lower. Today, all yields are up. And again, you know, I think that that was a coincident indicator in market's very good at latching onto a story. So I'm not particularly worried about what the market's thinking. And because you know, on the other hand, what the market also could be thinking is that this bill is going to create growth.
Speaker 2: At the same time, you have things like the term premium up almost a one percent now, and you also have real yield up well over two percent.
Speaker 3: Should we be concerned with that?
Speaker 2: Is there a question here about the long term ability to repay the debt?
Speaker 1: Look, I think that again, as growth accelerates, I'm not worried about the US debt dynamics because a change in the growth trajectory takes care of a lot of that.
Speaker 2: I should we be concerned when we see yields going up on US treasuries and the dollar weakening normally, that's not the way it works as I understand it, is that something we should be concerned about.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm not concerned about it because I think part of it is we are seeing other countries step up, so I wouldn't on many of them, I wouldn't necessarily categorize it as a week dollar. It's for the first time in much of my career, Europe is actually going through a fiscal expansion. Back to this new German government that they are opening the German purse for the first time maybe even since he had been to the Euro. They're taking off the debt break, so the fundamentals are driving the euro. Japan is seeing a large increase in interest rates, driven by the Bank of Japan. So I think a lot of this is other countries strengthening or other country and see strengthening as opposed to the dollar weakening.
Speaker 2: You have said your concerns certainly about the deficit getting outder control and the President Trump and what you says, that's really a priority for him to get down to something with a three beginning it at least, if not three point zero percent how high a priority is that, And let me push you on a little bit like Mario Dragi. Will you do whatever it takes to get it to that level so that if the present plan does not work the way you hope it will, you'll take other steps.
Speaker 1: Well. I think what we've been trying to do, especially on the cost cutting side, whether it's Doge, whether it's it's omb is go line by line, and on a lot of this, the Democrats are fighting us, the courts are fighting us. So let's see where that ends up. And of course we will. We can keep coming back in terms of making government more efficient. I think I've been there three and a half months now, and I can tell you the amount of waste, fraud, and abuse is startling.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think most of us who dealt with Washington would not disagree with that at all. The question is where do you trim and how do you go about it? There was a two trillion dollar number thrown out at a rally here in New York City, as I recall, by Elon Musk and Howard Lutnik.
Speaker 3: Was that a wrong number?
Speaker 2: Are you going to come close to two trillion dollars out of costs?
Speaker 1: Well, we'll see over what the scoring window is. Could we end up with one hundred and fifty billion a year in savings over the CBO window, that'd be a trillion and a half.
Speaker 2: So so, but you're on track, you think on the cost cutting side.
Speaker 1: Well, again, there's a lot of resistance that the DOGE and Elon were criticized for the pace they did. But I tell you just my three and a half months in Washington. If you don't move fast, then the swamp kind of grabs you and you start sinking, and the vest at interest cant.
Speaker 2: What other tools do you have in your toolbox to apply to the deficit if the present plan doesn't deliver all that you hope?
Speaker 1: Oh look, I think it's why don't we wait and see how this works out? Because I think we can see. As I mentioned, it's a three legged stool, so I think it would be the third part trade, tax and deregulation. So deregulation is the slowest moving part. I would expect that to substantially kick in to the economic growth in the third fourth quarters and really accelerate next year. Also, one of the most powerful economic parts of the tax bill is the immediate expensing of capital goods, one hundred percent for capital goods, and what we have added to that is one hundred percent expensing of factory structures. So I think that that could really accelerate the growth.
Speaker 2: And as you look at this problem right now, what is your approach to making sure that we bring the US economic machine into line and particularly the business community and investment most importantly.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk about two pieces. But so before us with you just now, I was with a group of community bankers. So we are doing a substantial amount of financial deregulation to make sure that the benefits are more evenly distributed across the US economy. That as I said before, Wall Street's done great. Now it's time for Maintain Street to do well also, and they can both do great together. It's not an either or. So when I was with these community bankers, they were talking about the substantial amount of regulation that's been crushing them over the past ten fifteen years, and a huge amount of small business loans, huge amount of real estate loans and loans are made by these community banks. So we are really focusing on that on US business. We want to make the US the most attractive location for capital. I was just you and I were talking. I was just with the President in the Middle East. We were in Saudi, We're in Qatar, and we're in the UAE, and the trillions of dollars that are going to be pushed into the US.
Speaker 2: One form of regulation that gets a lot of attension in New York and on Wall Street is banking regulation. Let's talk about the supplemental leverage ratio, which seems like an obscure thing off to the side, but it has been the subject of much discussion, and it does, as I understand, relate to US treasuries and yields on US treasuries, so that if major banks held more US treasuries, it would bring it bring yields down. You've said you're going to take more of an active role, as I understand it, with respect to some of that banking regulation.
Speaker 1: Where are we. I think we are very close to moving the supplementary leverage ratio SLR. That is moving along very quickly between the three banking regulators, the FED, the OCC and the FDIC. So I would think we could see something on that over the summer or so.
Speaker 2: And knowing the markets as you do, would you anticipate that might have a significant material effect on treasury yields.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it could because banks are being penalized for holding treasury. You know, there's a large supplementary leverage charge, so I think for holding the risk free asset, we can reduce that. And you know, I've seen estimates that it could bring yields down by tens of basis points. Certainly, during the COVID crisis, it was the temporarily taken and it had a big effect.
Speaker 2: Let me ask something different, but I think might be related, which is stable coin. If really we went big into stable coin in this country, what effect could that have on the strength of the dollar because people might have to hold dollars in order to match against or even for treasuries.
Speaker 1: Well, we are going big on digital assets. So Trump administration has made digital assets for priority. Past administration starved and all thus made extinct a lot of these companies and pushed it offshore. So what we want to do is apply the highest US regulatory and AML standards two digital assets, especially stable coins. And I've seen estimates that just over the short term, stable coins could create two trillion of demand for US treasuries and treasury bills to put that in context, the number is probably about three hundred billion right now.
Speaker 2: There are reports, including Blueberg that there may be if I can call a privatization of Famimine freddie Mac something that's been talked about since I think they were nationalized essentially during the Great Financial Crisis. I heard the President say I'm going to ask Scott Besson about this.
Speaker 1: So has he asked you? And where does that stand? It is a goal for this administration. Again, we're doing piece deals, tax deals, trade deals. So as we land some of those deals, then we will focus on that. But David, what I can tell you we are doing a great deal, a great deal of studying at Treasury because the one requirement, the one requirement for this privatization is that they are privatized in such a way that mortgage spreads they do not widen. And in fact, is there a way that we can make the spread between the risk free rate and mortgages titan as the Fanning and freddie Er privatized.
Speaker 2: That was exactly my question. So do you know the answer to the question, is there a way to do that? Because most people are concerned that will drive up mortgage rates.
Speaker 1: Sure, there are several ways to do it, and we're exploring it. So we will move forward again after we land some of the piece deals, trade deals and tax deals, then we will work on this privatization deal.
Speaker 2: One of your many responsibilities that has to do is taxation and the IRS. I know that you were really pushing hard for montization of the IRS. At the same time, we've lost a lot of people of the IRS. Isn't that hurting their ability to do their job?
Speaker 1: So, David, my three priorities collections, privacy, and customer service, and if we look over a long view, we haven't lost a lot of people of the I r S. There was a massive headcount increase from the Inflation Reduction Act and back to this crazy CBO scoring by increasing expenses. There was this scoring that you would actually somehow up collections, which didn't happen. So we had a great collections year. This year came in above target. And this monitorization program, the tech monitorization program at the IRS was begun in nineteen ninety that the young man who was in charge of it was not who I put in charge of it, was not even born then, So that it's fifteen billion over budget. It's a three and a half billion a year budget. I think it's running on cobal, which is what I may have learned in college, on twelve different systems. So we are going to fix that, and I think all three of my priorities are going to be served. And I think it could be substantial savings to the American people because the IRS roughly processes as many transactions as a mid size US bank, which does it at ten percent of the number of people ten percent of the cost.
Speaker 2: President Trump said a while ago, posted actually on social media that they were in the process of removing the tax exempt status from Harvard. There's a lot of issues at Harvard, but that's one that comes within your bailiwick.
Speaker 3: Where is that process right now?
Speaker 1: That the President is moving forward with that, and we're also looking at taxes on endowments, and I think the important thing here, and it goes a little bit back to this main street versus the elites that Harvard to have a tax exempt status, there are rules you have to follow, and if you're not following the rules, no one's above the wall. So we will see if they're following the rules. It looks like there's substantial number where perhaps they weren't, and you know again too, Harvard is a giantic hedge fund. They run a leveraged investment model. So we'll see where all that goes.
Speaker 2: Is it Harvard alone or other other universities or colleges that also might be subject to review on taxis and status.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen that. But again back to cutting government expenses. These things are more out of control the universities. They are more out of control than the government. That there is a separate inflation index, it's called like the Index of Higher Education inflation index, and most of the expenses have grown at CPI plus three percent, So you know, they need to get their houses in order.
Speaker 2: Let's come back to BAMF because you just got back from the G seven meetings and the communicats I read it really focused on imbalances. What were the imbalances you're most concerned about?
Speaker 1: Well, I think the group as a whole was very concerned about the global imbalances around China, that China just keeps increasing their share of global manufacturing and has not done a much needed adjustment in terms of consumption. And as I predicted. Normally don't like to take victory laps, but I did predict it and I was right. I said when the US put up the tariff wall, that all those Chinese goods would go somewhere. And I think the other the G six has seen that these Chinese goods are starting to permeate into their economies. They're quite worried about it. But you know, there's a whole series of global imbalances. We have a oors trade deficity with the EU, so we'd like to see more pro growth consumer spending there. But the real thing when I think about China and the rest of the world, especially the US. In the US, we are trying to rebalance towards more manufacturing, mostly high end manufacturing, not the kind China has. Everyone agrees that China needs to rebalance toward less manufacturing more consumption. And is there a chance that we could do it together what Ray Dalio might call a big, beautiful rebalancing.
Speaker 2: So as I understand, I'm not a macroeconomists, you know, So as I understand it, when you have these trade and balances, it means we're importing buying more things, and we're exporting dollars essentially overseas. A lot of those dollars have been coming back to US in various forms, particalarly in US treasuries. Can you have a rebalancing, for example of China or with Europe for that matter, that doesn't necessarily raise the yield on treasuries because there are less dollars overseas to be invested in US treasuries.
Speaker 1: Oh sure, sure, I mean these balances weren't always like this in two thousand, before the China shock. We've historically had big inflows into treasuries. But what used to happen was in the old days, trade would come in and then we would sell the other country a GM. Now we are selling them either treasury bond, private equity, or Google stock, and that has a lot of distributional problems within the US. So that's how we've ended up with the coast or Wall Street doing very well, middle of the country manufacturing being gutted. So I think it's the composition of the flows coming back in, and then as you mentioned, I think we can see more bond buying by US citizens US US institutions. But the other thing that I will say is, you know, I have access to the data and we've actually been seeing foreign national entities, whether it's reserve managers, sovereign wealth funds or pension funds have been buying more treasuries in the latest auctions.
Speaker 2: So when we talk about trade, we talk about goods, sometimes services. What about capital flows and how capital flows work? There seems to be a movement in parts of the world toward stopping capital flows. I mean, we've had Macron and France said Europe can make it on its own. We've had Australia take certain actions requiring pension plans to invest domestically.
Speaker 3: Are we moving toward toward autocre?
Speaker 1: I don't think we have to. There's certainly nothing the US is doing to prevent capital flows. We except for strategic except for strategic products, high val value tech products, the rest. We want smooth capital flows globally. Could we see more people being more nationalistic, maybe, But again, as we saw with these trillions of dollars from these Middle East countries coming into the US, that the US is the premier destination for capital. We are working to do everything we can on that. And you know, David, back to your question on the money coming back in into the bond market, that a lot of it's going to come back in in the form of foreign direct investment. Which is actually a much more stable kind of investing.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about the dollar for a second and where the dollar is. I've seen some charts actually about the nominal value of the dollar versus purchasing power parity, and in fact that there's been a growing difference between those where the nominal value is well above PPP, I mean.
Speaker 3: Almost at historical levels.
Speaker 2: From your experience with markets, does that have to correct itself? Does that mean the dollar's overvalued?
Speaker 1: It doesn't, doesn't have to mean it's overvalued. And lots of lots of times that levels can stay versus PPP, which is just an academic measure. Many currencies stay above their PPP equilibrium for a long period. And David I can tell you that when I look at the amount of innovation going on in the US, vice of either the rest of the world, everybody wants to come here.
Speaker 2: So as you look forward, what is the thing that worries you the most.
Speaker 1: That we are not able to that somehow our agenda gets slowed down that whether it's whether it's the courts, whether it's the the democrats, that's really what worries me the most.
Speaker 2: And on deregulation, how long will it take. So we actually see it in productivity.
Speaker 1: Well, I think we. I think we're going to see it in the economic numbers in the third and fourth quarter, in.
Speaker 3: The third and fourth quarter this year.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: That's fascinating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you know again that when when you ask me, what worries me, is this, like we need this substantial permitting reform, that we aren't able to build things that we have because of this AI boom. You know we're going to we're becoming the AI superpower. Well, that's going to take a lot of electricity, so you're going to need energy pipelines, You're going to need transmission. And the fact that we have that it takes three, six, seven years or the permitting. So what worries me is that somehow we get bogged down in a legal morass. Because this administration is really trying to get America back to building again.
Speaker 2: One of the things that people are interested in is a sovereign wealth fund. I remember, actually, as I recall seeing President Trump's sign an executive order with you in the old office and talking about it at the time, where does that stand right now? Because some people say, you know, if you're really going to try to build the wealth the United States. You're better off cutting the deficit than borrowing money to put it in a sovereign wealth fund.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the President decided that it's on Paul's while we work on everything else that we're doing now. So and he said the other day that it would probably spend more time paying paying down debt. You know, he is a laser focused on paying down debt.
Speaker 2: And you're prepared if it doesn't go the way you want to do other adjustments to make sure we are paying to the debt. Because some people are a little skeptical.
Speaker 1: Well again, let's talk about the can you grow the nominator fast and faster than the numerator? Like the reason we got here was, you know, think about taking out a home mortgage. It's fine if the value of your house is stable or growing faster than the debt's what's happened is that previous administrations took out a big mortgage. We didn't grow away out of it. Now, I actually think that there is a chance that we can constrain the spending up the growth, and that changes a trajectory because going back to this CBO scoring, which is alien to anything that makes sense, that if you cut taxes, they still score growth at one point seventy one. If we raise taxes, and if this tax bill didn't go through, it would be the biggest tax psyche and history, then growth stays at one point eight percent. So you know, I think that we can accelerate growth here. So you know, my worry would be that somehow there is a glitch and the tax bill did not get passed soon enough. So you know, I would encourage our colleagues in the Senate to push for the July date.
Speaker 3: The leader Thune has last question.
Speaker 2: Growth is critical to your approach and the President's approach. What growth are we talking about? What are you projecting and when? Because right now we're not close to three percent growth.
Speaker 1: Look, I think we can get to three percent the pretty quickly.
Speaker 2: Well okay, how big is how quickly is pretty quickly? I'm quarters years, quarters in quarters will be at three percent?
Speaker 1: You believe? Yes?
Speaker 3: Sustainable?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Look, I think we were in the middle of as I talk to industry, this US innovation edge. We are starting to see real productivity increases like no other country is. I think with the deregulation, with the certainty from taxes, and with this full expensing which from twenty eighteen twenty nineteen going into COVID for the industrial economy really gave it big impetus. So you know, I'm expecting that by certainly by this time next year, we will be north of three, and that we will be turning the corner towards the end of the year.
Speaker 2: Mister Jarah, I can't thank you enough for being really appreciated. That is the United States Secretary of Treasury. He is Scott Bessen