Speaker 1: A media Hey everybody, Robert Evans here, and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode. So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's got to be nothing new here for you, but you can make your own decisions.
Speaker 2: Welcome to karapn Here. I am Andrew of THETU channel Andrewism and today I'd like to take some time to discuss nations, clonialism and the people that constitute them. That is of course quite broad, but in the end I hope that folks are able to come with a sense of at least my version of the anarchist position on Nichans, the impact of colonization, the pychees of individuals within nitions, and the role of national liberation in social revolution. Today I'm joined by me Mia.
Speaker 3: Who oh boy, it great topic. Interesting topic, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Indeed, indeed, indeed, I think part of what makes the topic so interesting is because of how for lack of bets, it's how wiggly some of these tombs are how hard to pin down some of these definitions are. So it's very important to be clear at the outset what you mean by a nation, what you mean by national liberation, that sort of thing. So what is a nation? What comes to mind for you? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh god, yeah, I know I should have pre prepped an answer to this. I have a very difficult time conceiving of a nation is something that's separated from a state, which I know is something a lot of people try to do. For me, it's just been sort of permanently welded to the nation state in a way that makes it hard to sort of think about without conjoining the two.
Speaker 2: That's fair, That's fair. I think that that really is part of what we're going to end up discussing. Because, for one, you know, as we'll see, a lot of nations were formed through the process of colonization and through the process of incorporation into the global uh you know, superstructure, global system. And secondly, it is seen to be the ultimate aim of a nation, the greatest accomplishment of a nation, to eventually establish their own state, to have a state of their own. We call nations that don't have their own state state less nations, the Kurds being one of the most notable examples. But it really is commonly seen that the ultimate accomplishment is for the braation of your people, is that you establish a state to rule that people for themselves. Of course, what for themselves actually means becomes quite clear, as in many cases foreign rulers and the practices of foreign rulers just take on a local face.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a there's a Curtis joke that goes roughly, getting your own nation state means that you speak your police towrdure you in your own language. Oh, that's fantastic, that is.
Speaker 2: I like that. I like that. And language really is one of the aspects of what it is to be a nation, and it is not it's not necessarily the only aspect or primary aspect, but it is one aspect. For example, what is considered the Basque nation, those in northern Spain and part of southern southwestern France. I believe their identity is not entirely, but quite significantly tied to their language, because it is a language that is completely distinct from any other language found in Europe or really anywhere else in the world. The language is just one aspect the nation. A nation I mean not in the sense of a state or a country or political constitution, but in the sense of an imagined community of people. An imagined community of people. I think that imagined aspect of it is quite important as well. Student see, but an imagine the community of people formed on the basis of a common language, history, ancestry, society, or culture, who are conscious of their autonomy. So it's not enough that a group of people merely share a language, or share history, or share ancestry, or share society or share culture. It's important that firms we defined as a nation, that they are conscious of the fact that they share those things in common, and that they use that consciousness to develop some sense of an imagine shared identity, of imagined community, whether or not each individual in that community knows all the other individuals in that community. Nations are not necessarily geographically bound, like you know, certain conceptions of a nation maybe, but rather often diasporic, and some nations even united under a banner of nations, such as in the case of pan Africanism, which is a form of nation movement or pan nation movement that seeks to unite the thousands of ethnic groups and also the diaspora of the continents of Africa in response to the exploitation of outsiders. In fact, the pan Afka nation is really a quintessential example of how colonism creates nations while exploiting them. And although Native America in populations retained slightly more of their heritage than the displaced African population in North America, though this is not to deny what was lost their force. Displacement also created something of a shared ethnic identity, which is where you see movements like Red Power popping up during the height of Soviriety era. Prior to the process of colonization, they were distinct in their cultural groupings. This group would be Blackfoot, this group would be create, this group would.
Speaker 3: Be Sue or something right.
Speaker 2: This script would be Sue. But then as they had the shared experience of colonization, they began to develop a sense of shared identity against those who are colonize in them, a sense of solidarity that transcended their previous cultural distinctions and designations. Not that those designations don't still exist, but many have adopted a sort of panoration above that as a vehicle through which they can undertake their struggle. However, mere opposition between a colonized group and a colonizing force is not the only way that clonism creates new nations. Also through social stratification, through hybridization, through the imposition of new religions, through new education systems, new languages, and new administrative boundaries. All of those are ways in which cluonism can develop u nations. For example, the case of the Metis, a cultural intermingling and intermarriage between two radically different groups ended up with the birth of the new nation of the Maties in the unique colonial history of Canada, and as we've see in nations are often the targets of subraction and of subjugation and Eurasia, African peoples were stolen from the constant and thoroughly stripped of their languages, histories, and cultures, and continues to be oppressed throughout much of the so called New World. In the United States, African Americans faced centuries of systemic racism. In Brazil, the afric Brazilian population also faced similar historical discrimination. Similarly in Colombia and so on and so on. Indigenous nations across the world also continue to be denied their autonomy as minorities within a domineerian state. Palestinians and Israel have faced a long standing conflict due to the raisure of their self determination. Colgin and Released, as I've mentioned, spread across several countries and do not have a country of their own, so they have historically sought independence or at least autonomy. Aboriginal Australians have faced struggles related to land rights, cultural preservation and self governance, and although New Zealand has made progress in recognizing the rights of the diligious Maria people, Marian New Zealand have also dealt with issues related to land ownership and cultural preservation, whether be the Armenians under the Ottoman Empire in the past, or the current subjugation of Hawaiian Puerto Rico under the US, or the Tibetan population still under the firm of the Chinese state. Really could go on and on. I really could go on and on. Across the world, struggles have been an rb and fought by nations for the liberation and much of their suffering a struggle is thanks to the process of colonization. Our present national borders and demographics were largely shaped and dictated by the colonization and conquest of a few nations from Europe. But what is colonialism? Exactly? As one anthropologist Chris quote Right put it, colonialism is the establishment and control of a territory for an extended period of time by a sovereign power over a subordinate and other people which are segregated and separated from the rule and power. He goes on to say that features the colonal situation and include political and legal domination over the other society, relations of economic and political dependence, and institutionalized racial and cultural inequalities to impose their dominant physical force through raids, expropriation of labor and resources, imprisonment and objective murders. Enslavement of both the indigenous people and their land is the primary objective colonization. Through colonization, native cultures must be destroyed either strict crushed, empty, subsumed, cooperated, or dismantled. And since colonism relies on a dichotomy of superiority and inferiority, the colonialists must impose their own culture over the native population, from language to dressed to daily practice. That culture, which by the way, becomes native through that process of colonization, and that already gets into the whole discussion of what makes something native, what makes a people native. There are two definitions that I balance try and dance between, one being indigeneity through land relationship and the other being indignity through colonial relationship. And so I'm referring to the indignacy through colonial relationship when I say that a culture or people becomes native through that process of colonization, because prior to colonial inclusions, there was no non native to define themselves against. They just were. You'll need to define yourself as native to a place when an outsider or an invasive force is pushing you out of that place or trying to dominate you within that place. The old forms of colonization are largely over, but the spirit of colonization still lingers. It is a specter in the spheres of culture and politics and economics. The colonial complex created the world we see today and left quite the impression psychologically on both the colonized and the colonizer. French Tunisian writer Albert Mami wrote what I guess it to be a very essential work on the relationship between the colonizer and the colonized. That work that book is called the Colonized and the Colonized was published in nineteen fifty seven, and it was written and of course in a very important time, in a time when many national liberation movements were quite active, and so this work is often held up with other important works in that anti colonial milieu, including France Phenons, The Direction of the Earth, Black Skin, White Masks, and IMA's discourse on clonialism. In the book The Colonized and the Colonized, now, he spent some time discussing the psychology of both, and he splits the condition psychological conditions the colonized and the colonized into four parts, the colonizer who accepts, the colonizer who refuses, the colonized who accepts, and the colonized who refuses. So first there's the colonizer who accepts. I've called that colonizer Christopher for obvious reasons, that being Columbus. And so the Christopher accepts his role as a colonizer, he becomes a colonist. That means he has to accept the fact that his position of privilege is non legitimate. So the any way he could really enjoy his position would be to absolve himself of the conditions of the guilt of the conditions under which he was attained. That's why Christopher forcifies history, creates racist mythology, rewrites laws, and attempts to whitewash his legacy. That's why he emphasizes his superiority while castness, persions, and the colonized. He has to do whatever it takes to justify his evils, to uplift himself to the skies while grinding those below him underground. Deep down, Christopher knows all of his master up, but he can't admit that to himself. He has to keep degrading the colonized, and so, just as the colonal situation manufactures the colonized, Christopher the colonialist is also transformed. Now he chairs on torture, discrimination, and massacre. He becomes a reactionary, a conservative, and a fascist. But the condemnation that he carries in his heart can ever truly be raised. It pisses him off that he relies in the colonize to maintain the colony, even though he came looking for profit and already has a homeland. But he has to direct his anger somewhere. So becomes a racist, and not just any racism, a racism. So fundamentally ingrained in his personality. Racism built on three major components. One there exists some major gulf between him and the colonized. Two that he can exploit these differences to his benefit, and three that these differences are absolute and cannot be changed. Therefore, he's able to remain separate from the community the colonized by holding any social mobility. And he's able to continue to justify superiority because honestly, circular logic, right, these people are inferior because they aren't at my level, and they aren't at my level because I keep them in it because I keep them in their inferior position, and on and on and on. Added bonus, of course, he gets to feel good about himself. While doing so, he becomes a humanitarian. Surely the colonize needed him to bring the light of civilization. Look at them, so stupid and sivile. All this is natural and need to know, so he has nothing to worry about. It is divine grace that has brought him to this place. It is a manifest destiny that he continues this tradition. And I mean if he enjoys a couple of perks in his quest to civilize them. Well, surely is just justice should be grateful Christopher, benevolent master of the natural order, no question. And really this is why missus there was right to say. The colonization dehumanizes even the most civilized man. It inevitably tends to change him who undertakes it that the colonizer, who, in order to ease his conscience, gets into the habit of seeing the other man as an animal, accustoms himself to treating him like an animal, and tends objectively to transform himself into an animal. No offense to animals, of course, I'm just quotients.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 2: On the flip side of the coin is the colonizer who refuses John. You see, not every colonizer becomes a colingless John tries to just the role, but he is still a colonizer. He tries to ignore his position of privilege, but he kind of escaped mentally from a concrete situation. He kind of refused the ideology of crinalism while continuing to live with its actual relationships, while continuing to benefit from the privileges he half heartedly denounces. See, colonial relations can't be boiled down to individual feelings, so it doesn't matter much materially. If John accepts or rejects it, it doesn't matter if he feels guilty or not. His identity is fundamentally defined in relation to colonization. He's still part of the oppression group. He shares in their good fortune and would likely share their faith. It makes it clear that the truth is between colonizer and colonized. There is only room for forced labor, intimidation, pressure, police, taxation, theft, rape, upulsory crops, contempt, mistrust, arrogance, self complacency, swinishness, brainless elites, degraded masses, no human contact, but relations of domination and submission. Was sh the colonizing man into a classroom monitor, an army sergeant, a prison guard, a slave driver, and the indigenous man into an instrument of production. Even if John is a leftist, a progressive trying his best to assist the national liberation to colonize people's he's still in a rough situation. Of course, not many colonizers have actually been you know about it like that. But even if John was to create a world or colonization, maybe hard for him to picture his situation change in all that much He's accustomed to privilege and so equality is probably going to feel like oppression. You can't imagine not being who he is with the comfortable domination of his culture and language, he's ever had to accommodate others before, he's had to think, oh wait, maybe I should try and learn their language, try and incorporate elements of their cultural moriors. He still holds the subtle vestiges of the racist ideology that his country was built on, and he will have to fight his own class interests and his own fellow colonizers. Revolution would require the decimation of his current identity and the rebooth of another. And that decision, that gargantuan task, maybe too challenging for some people to undertake. So, miir, what do you think of the position of the colonizer who accepts and the colonizer who refuses.
Speaker 3: One of the things that I think is interesting about this is that the original concept of privilege was something that came out of like this specific kind of analysis was about like like it was it was, it was about French settlers in Algeria, and you know, it was, it was, it was, it was. It was originally something along basically along these similar lines where it's like it doesn't really matter what your ideological beliefs are if you're sort of like a French settler in Algeria, like you just automatically have privilege that like other people didn't. And this has been sort of like I don't know, I like the original sort of context of what this analysis was has been sort of worn down. But I think I don't know, Like I think I think it is colonizers like this is this is a structural position, right, like you know, the the sort of you can't sort of individualism your way out of a structural condition. Yeah, And I think that's something people sort of have this incredible capacity to sort of believe about themselves and it's just not really true. And that's something that's very difficult to sort of like actually substantively confront. But I think it's why this analysis of stuff.
Speaker 2: Is useful exactly exactly. It's not enough to just say, oh, well, I don't think this is right, I think this is wrong. That doesn't change anything materially. It's when you act to challenge the dismantle, to confront, and to act in cell the arity with those facing those challenges in a material way that any of it really matters. I think it was particularly politin and of course Mami is writing this, and Cesaire wrote in a time when colonization is really at or rather the confrontation against colonizations really added to Zenith. And so for those of us in the twenty first century, in twenty twenty three now who are looking back, we're saying, we might think, oh, well, surely this is a data analysis, a dated way of looking at these relationships. But upon through the inspection, it really continues to be quite topical when you look at, for example, self proclaimed allies. Looking at how Mami discusses the colonizer who refuses really gives you a sense of I think, at least how far you need to be willing to go in your allyship versus how far most people have reached. Even today, we can ask ourselves and those who maybe see themselves a bit in the colonizer who refuses, ask yourself, how far I mean you may recognize your privileges even while still you know in enjoying them, but how far might you be willing to go to see an end to this system? We speak about how the loss of privilege can make equality feel like oppression, but truly grappling with that. What would it mean, for example, English to no longer be the dominant language? You know, what would it mean for us to get used to will in which we might have to learn another language? And then I've been thinking about recently, even while occupying the position of a colonized subject, I speak English, and that is a privilege. I speak English natively, and I mean I'm trying to learn another language. I'm trying to learn Spanish, which is another colonized the language.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's sort of one of the other things. It's like, you know, for me, it's it's like, Okay, you have English, it's this colonial language. You're a Chinese, which is like also colonial language. And I learned some Spanish. It's like, well, all right, and that's a third colonial language destruct the towers.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly. And this when we get into this sort of discussion about like actually postclualism and anti colonial struggle and how you go about anti colualism, right, because there is one of their different approaches. One could take different paths. I suppose we could follow there's an anticlonial approach where we could say, you know what, let's just try and recreate pre colonial society. Right, So everybody tries to learn the languages that they feel as though they might have spoken if not under clonal system, if not, if Clonal's history had not happened. And then we try to re implement those languages, and reimpose those languages, and dismantle certain institutions and structures and whatever the case may be, try to basically erase the impact of colonization from history. And then there's another path where we recognize, well, maybe we cannot undo colonization, and truthfully we can't write. But going forward, how do we intend to dismantle and to rework and to create a new you know, taking from the past to build the future, but not being bound to that past. How do we, for example, let go of certain binds on language, or certain ways of communicating, or certain ways we organize systems, or certain customs and roles and obligations. And I'm varying a bit from the intended topic of psychology of colonization, but I do want us to think about whether what role we regardless of what role we see ourselves in this discussion, how do we pursue an anti clar future. What does that look like? What paths should we be taken, and how might that path chafe against our current identity? How am that path chafe against our current privileges, our current comforts. Yes, we are as workers, all oppressed and exploited, but at the same time as we recognize there are certain privileges that some have over others, whether it be in the realm of race or gender, or ability or language. And if we are going to be pursuing a sequean so we have to ask ourselves, how might those privileges be affected? And have we truly confronted our comfort level with those privileges being affected. I think that's part of the broader effort of decolonizing the mind. And when I speak about it in my video and why Revolutionary's therapy, the idea of like really truly breaking down a lot of these ideas that we have about ourselves and about the world and questioning all of it, deconstructing and reconstructing all of it. But then when I get too far, of course, sincere called the colonization thingification. So let's turn our attention now to those things. Let's discussed the situation of the colonized in this case, Candice, and that defined by the images and myths that surround them and tell them who they are. The colonized have no way out of their condition within the colonial order. They aren't free to choose between being colonized or not being colonized. They just are colonized. And so Candace understands this in her whole life, She's had to grapple with the negative portraits of herself. They were created by the colonizer, all the images that were used to support the clonal situation that raised the colonizer and humbled the colonized. They justified the colonizer as privilege, that painted the colonized as inert and the colonizer as active. That made it seem as though the colonizer, as the colonizer, was doing the colonized a fever, that their labor was actually and the employment was actually necessary, that it was charity that the colonizer was bringing to their otherwise lazy masters. Being exposed to that kind of message and from a young age, really does a number on people, not just in the realm of colonization, but in other spheres as well. We see that with patriarchy, of course, how messages from an early age affect how boys and girls and others perceive themselves and perceive the world around them, and perceive others in the cloning context. This means that some who are colonized end up internalizing and accepting wholesale the messages that they're receiving. So kind of thinks to herself. Perhaps the colonizers right. Perhaps we are lazy, perhaps we are shifted, perhaps we are timid and weak, and this degrading portrait ends up being accepted. It's usually one of the final steps of colonization, the colonization of the mind. Once the colonize begins to tolerate rather than resist colonization, all they can really look to do is attempt to assimilate, which is impossible by a design. Does mean that Candice won't try. She sheds the memories of her ancestors and the practices institutions of her culture. She embraces the colonizers' will, and all these institutions is right and just. The colonizers selve, and the colonizers whip the colonizes God, and the colonizers' school. Her children are sent to these schools built by the colonizer to erase and replace a people's history, traditions, and language. She and her kin are imbued with double consciousness. She's trapped in the sunken place, performing for the colonizer in a home country that don't feels foreign. Double consciousness is a particularly useful concept, first coined by WB. Du Bois in the Souls of Black Folk in nineteen oh three. He was speaking specifically about African Americans, but the concept does apply in the contexts as well. Double consciousness is the dual self perception experienced by subordinate peoples in an oppressive society. It is looking at yourself through your own eyes and simultaneously looking at yourself through the eyes of a racist society, looking at who you are, and also looking at what the dominant society sees and thinks of who you are. Of course, the voice concept was further built upon, and you know, people speak about her things such as triple consciousness, and in some ways the idea of double consciousness is can't be tied with the conversation of intersectionality. But they are those who experience that double consciousness, and rather than reasserting their view of themselves and their people, they accept the negative view held by the dominant society. They surround themselves the language of that dominant society kindnesses world from the street signs, the documents to the courts, the bureaucracyeded industry, or use the colonizing language. While her mother tongue, the one used tenderly by her ancestors, the one that sustained in the most feelings, emotions and dreams, is he valued and degraded. Candice loses far more than she gains by history, a culture future. She rejects herself, self love and liberation itself. She rejects herself self, love and liberation itself. I tending to model herself after the colonizer, or rather crush herself into conformity, she gains self hate, shame, and alienation. She sees her own people through the eyes the condonations and accusations of the colonizer. She's atomized and estranged from her people and rejected by the colonizer, utterly defeated. But when he offers another path, an alternative mindset in the colonized who refuses. You see, like Candace, not knows that there will never be emancipation within the colonial relationship. But unlike Candace, they know that there is no liberty in a similation revolt is the only way out. An absolute condition requires an absolute solution, and there can be no compromise. Deliberation is a process of self recovery and autonomous dignity. They must shake off the force images and boldly attack the institutions of oppression. But even in their resistance that still bears the traces of colonization. They still share some of the values, techniques, and methods of the colonizer. They still speak the language the colonizer can understand. To be truly emancipated, that must work to rebuild a new, authentic and self assured identity for themselves and their people. That must reclaim and transform that which the colonizers consider negative, must take pride in all their wrinkles and moods, never shying away from their colonization, but accepting it as a fact of their experience, their history, and yet overcoming that colonization. However, there is the risk of continuing to define yourself in relation to protest, in relation to revolt, and in relation to colonization. At some point, maybe not now, but at some point not we'll need to move beyond that means. The definition what that future looks like is anyone's guests and also up to everyone to help build I hope you appreciated this. Sometimes meander and dive into the minds of the colonizer and the colonized. The fight is not over. The psychological, political, and economic consequences of colonization are still fell to this day. The mentalities and conditions that discussed still exist in very extents today. Hopefully this helps us to better understand client's impact on us, so that we can deconstruct that Leviathan together to create a freer and what diverse and more humane world. Next time, I'll be discussing the role of national liberation in the struggle for freedom and what precisely that would entail. As I didn't have time to get into it in this part. Welcome toake it happen Here. I am Andrew of theature channel of Andrewism. Last time I spoke about clonalism's effect on the psyche of the people within it, and today I want to talk about how people under the thumb of clonalism go about deliberation and how that struggle fits within some version of anomic asnalysis. National liberation is a struggle against the relationship of exploitation and domination inflicted upon a nation. It's a struggle against the domination of one people by another, often centered on questions of language, culture, welfare, equality, and land. It has consequences, and it's not something where you can just stand by mutually and ignore. In fact, ignoring national liberation struggles would been sided with national oppression. There's no centrist take here. There is no both sides to the oppression of a people by another. Of course, that doesn't mean that national liberation struggles are free of critique or necessarily morally righteous. National libriation struggles are usually quite diverse. Within them, their many tendencies at play, from the most reactionary to the most revolutionary. I don't know if any immediity come to mind. Fiumia.
Speaker 3: Oh god, yeah, there's I mean, you know, I think I always think about right is like China's a well, it kind of unique. I mean, there's there's a lot of countries that you get multiple like national liberation movements. China is kind of unique and that we had two nominally left wing national liberation movements and like one of them, one of them is the KMT who like the the the the the end of their natlib arc is like training a bunch of desk squads in El Salvador because they've gotten so good at killing peasants that like, you know, this is what they're doing with their life. And the other one is CCP and it's like, well, okay, like great, great job, guys, like liberated, We've liberated a lot of people. We've like you know, I don't know, it's it's I think I think there's sort of two ways of looking at that, where it's like you have on the one hand, you can look at it from the sort of like worker's perspective, where it's like, well, yeah, okay, so both you have your two national liberation movements and both of them end up machine gunning about a million workers depending on like you know, in offset from each other in about forty years. But you know, you have the Shaghai massacre and you have the cultural revolution. And then I think the other thing that's important when you're looking at like a gnatlib movement is like whose nation is being liberated? And this is something you get with like Indonesia. Right, you know, you have the national liberation movement, but then you simultaneously have like the occupation of West Papua.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's almost like a Russia nest egg of national oppression, like the like Adonesia is being oppressed by the Dutch and then Indonesia and sulf oppression if you for West Papua and East Timor and all those different places.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you see this a lot with like, you know, I don't know. This is why, like I think I keep coming back to like whose nation is being liberated the thing because it's like, you know, you get this with a lot of like the sort of pan Air movements and it's like, well, okay, we're doing like resistance to sort of like French or British colonialism, and then like yes, this is this is okay if you are Arab, like God help you. If you're a Curred or like CD or like you know, so there's there's always these sort of I don't know, you have to be careful about who wins the national liberation.
Speaker 2: Movement exactly exactly, because not a whay a national liberations struggle is happening. They're most likely minorities that are not encapsulated in that you know, they're always going to be populations of people who are not of that nation. Within the territory of the national liberation struggle and then be on that they're also within national liberation struggles other ongoing struggles, including class struggle. While the oppressed classes might claim to national liberation struggle in an effort to defend against foreign subjugation and exploitation, the capitalist class is using that struggle for national liberation to consolidate their own power and monopolize their own exportation the working class. A lot of capitalists, their whole investment in national liberation boils down to I don't like the fact that I have to compete with foreign capitalists. I want to compete with local capitalists so I can come out on top. And yeah, that's not cool. Yeah, And then I think. Another thing that gets conflated when you start talking about national liberation the liberation of a nation is the concept of nationalism.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: Nationalism is a program that has been proposed, or rather a suite of programs I've been proposed as the solutions national libration struggles, because I can't even say that nationalism is a single program. Nationalism itself is quite diverse, as we'll soon see. But nationalism is only one response, one possible response. It may be the most common response, but it's only one possible response to the national liberation struggle. And then it's also the terminology that gets modeled when you start talking about nationalism, right because, as I defined, national liberation is the struggle of an exploited people against a dominating group or against their domination, just generally necessarily against one specific group, could be multiple groups, but it's the struggle of a people against their domination. However, when you get into nationalism, there are forms of nationalism developed by oppressive groups, developed by the oppressors. Sometimes they developed on nationalism in order to more effectively oppress the people they oppress it, and so, and you know, you can even argue that there are cases where oppressed nations adopt nationalism as strategy for their liberation and end up pursuing a form of nationalism that is quite similar to that which they were being oppressed under. There's one immediate example that comes to mind, if you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I have like nine so I'm not entirely sure what you're pointing at or nine.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, what are you thinking of?
Speaker 3: Okay, well, okay, I wanted to talk about this. I think there's like a very there's like a kind of Chinese nationalism that does this a lot, but this is I think a kind of common thing of like they're one of the sort of responses to colonization that's pretty common. Is this really really this sort of like like quintupling down on patriarchy where you know, you like because one of the effects of colonization obviously is like the sort of like one of the sort of psychological things is is this sort of like you know, is this installation of inferiority into the minds of the people who being colonized. And so one of the ways people respond to this is by being like, no, like the colonizers are wrong, Like our men are actually really strong, and like our men are actually incredibly manly, and like we have really really like tight powerful controller of women. And you see this fucking everywhere, right, This is why all of like there's so many sort of like Chinese nationalists who are so obsessed with like these videos of like like basically indistinguishable from American right wing videos where they're just like walking around with no shirts on and being like, look at how strong I am. It's like you see you see this thing with like hn do for people too, where's like they do like exactly the same ship, Like it's all over the fucking place. You can see you can see the Taliban doing this now too, and it's like it's it's like it's you know, it's it's they very cool.
Speaker 2: They're seeing colonization as emasculating.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and and and that's you know, and I think there's there's there's this mode of like reactionary anti colonialism where it's like they see it as emasculating and they see the problem with colonization was it stopped them from being an empire. You see this a lot which Chinese nationalism, where it's like, you know, like they're they're they're their effective problem with like the century humiliation was that they didn't get to keep being the Ching empire and get to keep colonizing other people. And that's like a very I don't know, I think that that that's a very common sort of like thing that happens when it's this is a very common sort of like ideological basis for sort of the right wing of anti colonial well, I don't know, even calling the anticolonial movement is kind of like being a bit generous, but yeah, yeah, I think it's a very common form of sort of right wing nationalism that emerges as a reaction to colonization.
Speaker 2: What immediately came to mind to me, and what I was thinking of was Zionism.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that too.
Speaker 2: Not to be fair, it was rather correct me if I'm wrong. It was a movement that existed prior to World War Two. No, yeah, yeah, right, And then you know, the experiences of World War Two took place, and there were different paths for the movement could have taken. And I don't want to invalidate the beginnings of the movement, considering the experiences of Jewish people for centuries in Europe and the oppression and the programs and so they faced. But what we've seen the fruit of one particular path that that movement undertook, and that path has led to another nation struggling for its liberation, and that being the Palestinians. The common example of distinction used is that of the distinction between white nationalism and black nationalism. White nationalism having a very clear history of violent supremacy and clualism, while black nationalism was established in response to that experience of subjugation and clualism and with the desire for self determination. The program nationalism specifically among oppressed nations has generally seen the oppressed nation as a united bloc national liberation movements, nationalist movements. Nationalists movements typically ignore class, they ignore gender, they ignore religion, and they ignore other divisions for the most part, in favor of the development of an independent state, which is usually some form of capitalist either a state capitalist welfare capitalists, or a neoliberal capitalist. A Nationalism is often weaponized and promoted by the ruined class in orders to unite the oppressed classes with their domestic oppressors, replacing foreign capitalists local capitalists, foreign generals local generals, and foreign government officials with local officials, in a word, to conceal the importance of class struggle. You see often in the cases of newly independent countries there's almost a brief haze of rather, let me speak not generally but from my own knowledge of my own history. Trying to Bago gain independence in nineteen sixty two from the British. This was after a very brief period where we experimented with a West Indian Federation, West Indies being a designation of the Caribbean by the British. The federation failed and so Trinidad and Tobago struck out on their own, and so trying Tobago became an independent country in nineteen sixty two, and there was really a sense of you know, joy and jubile and celebration because of that freedom. You know, it finally broke the shackles to the British. However, it was a very recently, a very constitutional independence. You know, it wasn't an independence brought forth by violent struggle. You know, it wasn't a situation like Algeria. It was more so the British carefully groomed a generation of politicians and political leaders that would and business leaders that would take on the role that they were fulfilling in order to continue that colonial situation in under new management essentially and the more familiar management. And that very quickly became apparent to the population, which is why we had the Black Power Revolution in nineteen seventy. It was borne on to the frustration that new management when everything was pretty much the same. Many people who experienced the successes of independence and of nationalism that often bears out independence, they actually come to recognize that nationalism was not enough nationalism has repeatedly failed to solve poverty, to solve oppression and exploitation and suffer it. Or many states have become formally independent from their colonial masters thanks nationalist movements, new columnalism persevers and yet in spite of the continuation of oppression and suffering post independence, you end up seeing some people's response to that being greater nationalism rather than an exploration of other options. So it is this result of nationalism that has led to its criticism and opposition by anarchists. Again, there's a difference between nationalism and national liberation. But in that criticism of nationalism, I see some anarchists, while recognizing that they are class divisions in the nation, end up ignoring national divisions in a class in favor of some ideal and united working class. The truth is that the oppressed classes of some nations have benefited from the domination of the oppressed classes and other nations, So let's not do class reductionism. Nations that have had constant war waged against them for centuries tend to turn to nationalism for the national liberation. That's obvious. I think you know, you cut them some slack for not thinking about the global working class when they are literally under assault for the national identity. When you fighting clonial administrators and foreign armies, you're not studying the class war, which is why historically national liberation struggles use in nationalism have ignored class divisions among the oppressed nation, but not always. Black nationalism, for example, has always been a very diverse political movement with several currents and opposing perspectives within it. The common threat is of course, irresistance the predominance the white supremisist system and the assolution of lacks of sovereignity, recognizing that we have to free ourselves without wheat and for permission, Recognizing we have to protect ourselves from the continued assault of the empire of the empire, recognizing that we can be proud of and love or bodies or minds on our heritage, or rejection of your centrism. And yet some manifestations of black nationalism have been reactionary, capitalistic, morphobic, and patriarchal. Others have student stock opposition to those currents. In particular, revolutionary black nationalism, unlike other forms of black nationalism, has consistently stood in opposition to all forms of oppression, including imperialism, white supremacy, and capitalism. In my view, and as many other black anarchists have noted, revolutionary black nationalism has a place in a struggle in conjunction with the struggle against patriarchy, capitalism, and the state, as we aim to prefigure world free of all forms of nomination. In spite of our critiques of how nationalism tends to manifest, it is not the only way to undertake national liberation. We can incorpor rate other fights within that struggle. We can recognize the importance of national liberation whilst staying true to all principles. Anarchism is an internationalist movement. It aims for an entirely new world, not just a pocket of change here and there. But we cannot be so focused on that international struggle that we ignore the very vital local and regional struggles taking place. Internationalism and class struggle are not in contradiction to national liberation struggle. I believe a real internationalism has to stand in solidarity with the working class and peasantry everywhere, including those of oppressed nationalities. However, at the same time, we cannot uncritically support national liberation struggles. We cannot afford to just write a blank check of support. It is necessary to engage politically national liberation movements and engage in dialogues with all of their complexities and contradictions, engaging with and uplifting the progressive elements within those national liberation struggles while criticizing the reactionary elements within those struggles.
Speaker 3: I think it's it's incredibly important. I don't know if intervene in them is the correct thing, is the best way to put it, But like you know, from the sort of like Eustasian perspective, it's like, yeah, so we had we had three successful national liberation movements like next to each other, and then after they won their national liberation movements, instead of like continuing the war against the US or whatever, they went to war with each other.
Speaker 5: So you know, you have to sort of like something something, something.
Speaker 3: Very clearly went wrong with our natlib movements when well, I mean obviously, like okay, something went very wrong with Kahmara Rouge, but.
Speaker 2: Like you know, that's that's understates and things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you know that that's ity, but like you know, they're they're like obviously that like that the Khmara Rouge was fucked from the start. But you know the fact that like the US and Vietnam, like the Vietnamese like army finally defeats the American colonizers and then basically immediately or invaded by China is a sign that like something went terribly terribly wrong in the process of these struggles, and that like, I don't know, if you're we're going to do this properly, you have to make sure that like this ship doesn't happen, because you know, it's it's a just the product of this is just sort of unfathomable human tragedy of a much of colonized people fucking murdering each other for like nothing or you know, I guess like China's obediate I don't know, geopolitical realignment with the US and exchange for like industrial capital goods or some shit. So you know, you gotta you gotta make sure that doesn't happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, And that means intervening. Okay, like you said, you don't want to say intervene in necessarily, but it does require having these discussions rely on, like you don't wait until after a preventable tragedy takes place to try and prevent a tragedy. You know, if you're seeing signs of that, the potential for that, you know, probably do something about it. If one is so fragile that a criticism of the way that it's structured, or a criticism of an aspect of its ideology is enough to prevent it from succeeding, or prevent it from collapsing into internal divisions, whatever the case may be, then I don't think that it is robust enough to handle the struggle, uh, for a liberation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's like they're definitely you're definitely going to lose.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like if it's easy for an ally to criticize and you know, maybe call something out and that's enough for everything to crumble, how easy do you think it's gonna be for like your actual enemy is to like come in and shake things up and like dismantle the organization from the inside. You know, if you if you don't have room for dissent from you know, your allies, from your compatriots, then what about your what do you think your enemies are going to try and capitalize on? They're going to try and fuel and empower that dissent and push it in different directions. So even further splinter the movement. You know, it's it's it's complicated, it's it's difficult. It's not something that I ever wanted to present myself as having all the answers for. But you know, I feel like certain things should be clear. You know, maybe we should try and preventednessues from getting worse if you see, like, for example, a cult of personality develop, and maybe do something about it before that culture personality has you know, guns on their side and the full power of the state apparatus behind them. I mean that's just me though. A truly internationalist position, in my view, recognizes that human unity can only be achieved through mutual respect, solidarity, alliance, and discourse among people. International revolution would require participation in national struggle for self determination and human dignity against imputerist domination. It will require shift, as I always say, in our powers, in our drives, in our consciousness. I think you want to have star tooth national liberation struggles. It really starts in that realm. And then also I think there are ways that we can as allies intervene into aspect of that process, you know, in confrontation, lending you know, material support to protests or occupations, in non cooperation, supporting strike funds, in prefiguration, providing resources. You don't want these acts of solidarity to get lost in NGOs or and organizations whatever you're trying to get things. Actually, that's a whole tangent. Let me just scratch that entirely. I'm going to go off. I'll leave off by saying that if we oppose male supremacy the patriarchy, we must support women's fight against it. That doesn't mean blandly supporting, you know, bourgeois liberal curss feminism. It means listening to, learning from and collaboratively developing the revolutionary feminist project to liberate all women from patriarchal domination and ultimately all people. If workers aside a former union in many cases and existing union is pro capitalist and hierarchical, I had despite the structural issues with many unions, we still stand with the workers against the bosses, even as we try to convince them of the need for our transformation. Those unions of union militancy for position to bureaucracy in order to fully liberate them from class domination. Instead of merely engaged in dialogue with the oppressors, we can walk on tewg them. At the same time as what I'm trying to say, we can act in solidarity without being subservient to what we may perceive to be something that goes against our values. Solidarity, as I like to view it, is a discourse between people's about how we determine our own freedom. We may disagree with certain things. We can critique certain things we've seen again and again, certain mistakes being made over and over again, and movements, and we can call them out. But you know, you can have your principles. You can engage, and you should engage in the complexity and contradictions and national liberation struggles, offering critique where needs be, resistant reactionary, capitalist, patriarchal and status elements when they manifest, and providing support in any way that you are able in any way that they request that you be. People on some monoliths, think for yourself, will power to all the people, usual things. That's it for me. You can support me on patuon dot com slash saying true and follow me on YouTube at andreism. This has been it grappen here with myself and Mia be something.
Speaker 3: It's it could happen here. The thing that's happening is that shinzu Wabe is still dead. One year on. That man has not gone back from the dead. He is still absolutely the most assassinated man of twenty twenty three, twenty two. That well, you know, honestly, given how assassinated he is, we're giving him the credit for being the most asassinated man of twenty twenty three. And what was interesting about this assassination and we talked about I talked about this really briefly in my sort of intro thing to the last episode that we ran about the Abbe assassination. But this has been maybe the most successful political assassination not done by the CIA in the last like seventy years, like absolutely stunningly incredibly successful political assassination because specifically of the political impact that the assassination has had on the Unification Church probably better known as the Moonies, and how it's been forcing the sort of Unification Church aligned ruling Liberal Democratic Party of Japan to like have a serious of embarrassing scandals where they reveal their incredible intertwinement with the church apparatus and all of the culture they've been doing. And with me to talk about this is Alisa Majub who's an ex Unification Church member who got out and who works with Deprogramming Imperialism, which is a group that tell us the sort of still untold story of how the Unification Church has worked with the CIA and the Korean CIA and enormous parts of the sort of the apparatus of the American imperial war machine to cause untold suffering on the world. Lisa, Welcome, Welcome to the show. Welcome, welcome back.
Speaker 6: Thank you appreciate it. I'm glad to be back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm excited to talk with you about this because we didn't really There's been a lot of very very interesting stuff happening in the last couple of months in Japan. But in order to do that, I think we need to sort of talk about what this assassination was actually about. So the shooter, Tetsuya Yamagami, killed Abe because he couldn't get to a He was trying to kill a high ranking Unification Church guy and he like couldn't get to him. And the reason he was trying to do this is that his mom had had given they like seventy thousand yen to the church. Co'm getting the number right, and had basically like you know, like this is I yeah, I wanted to talk to you a bit about this before we go into more of the au bas stuff about how the church's financial abuse works and how you know.
Speaker 5: Like how how how how.
Speaker 3: This person's mom was compelled to sort of like literally give away all of their money to this cult.
Speaker 7: Right, Well, I would say it's sort of multi pronged approach that they use. They'll basically, oh, gosh, okay. So one of the main things that they'll do is they will charge people for ancestor liberation.
Speaker 6: Basically is that they'll say that.
Speaker 7: Your ancestors are going to go to heaven if you pay us this amount of money. And they'll have people do that for like generations and generations back in order to have their ancestors go to heaven.
Speaker 6: They do other spiritual sales, like the book.
Speaker 7: There was this one book from years ago that they they they charged people exorbitant fees on just because it was like some sort of like providential book of some sort.
Speaker 6: So spiritual sales are definitely like a main, a main focal point of this.
Speaker 7: Another thing that will happen is that like they'll they'll labor traffic people just straight up into like a lot of the time they would do fundraising teams where they would have people go out sell little trinkets and things on the street or flowers, uh, and come back and then give all that money to the coffers of the church. Another thing that they do is tithes. You're expected to give a certain amount of your income basically to the church, and if you don't, it's like they're not going to be like they're there. It's like certainly, you know, like you need to do better because you're not you're not doing enough for God kind of shit. So they have like a myriad ways that they really push people into spending money on them in their organizations, as well as having a ton of very successful businesses and capital ventures and whatnot. They make guns, you name it, and so it all sort of comes together just to this like very large wheelhouse of capital.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Japan's so so I think I should probably I'm realizing I'm probably assuming that everyone who's listening to this has listened to the previous stuff we've done on the Infocation Church, and I don't know, I don't know how true that is. So I guess we should talk a little bit we should back up a little bit and talk about just what the Inifogation church is, and I guess also the importance of Japan to it, because Yeah, from everything that I've understood, Japan's like, you know, like they have a bunch of sort of businesses that they run in Korea, but Japan's kind of like their chief financial nexus. Like the last thing I saw, I think it was like like they e'rected like one hundred million dollars. How did Japan in the last few years.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they they get, They get so much.
Speaker 7: That's their main it's their main financial powerhouse within the church. And part of that is because the church claims that because of the occupation of Korea that Japanese members have to pay more indemnity monetarily, so everything with like you know, all of the spiritual sales and stuff are just like exorbitantly higher for those members, and that is just an easy way for them to make a lot more money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which which is always a part of this thing. I thought is really interesting because you know, the church, and we've talked about this sort of a length in other places, but they are like hardcore right wing anti communists, yes, and like you know, have backed a lot of I mean just desk squads all over the world they backed they like they wound up backing poll Pot because like doing I Ran contrary twice wasn't enough for them. But a bunch yeah, yeah, it's like on once you once, once, you once you've once you've done a RAN contract multiple times, like you've got to there are very few places you can go other than like into polepot. But I think I think there's there's an interesting kind of game they're playing here because you know, on the one hand, so the party they're allied with in Japan, I mean there's like several parties they work with, but their biggest backer in the government is is the Liberal Democratic Party. And you know, if you want to hear me talk about the Liberal Democratic Party for a long long time, go listen to my Kishi episodes on Behind the Bastards, because that guy did one. So No, Masuki Kishi is the founder of the Liberal Democratic Party. He is a just horrific war criminal. I did like mass enslavement stuff like that, Like truly truly awful guy. He's like he's also the guy who just was in charge of like running the Japanese war machine dream World War two, and his grandson is is U shinzo Abe. But there's this, I think it's this interesting dynamic where you have, on the one hand, the Moonies are allying with these right wing guys who are either just straight up like like a lot of these people they're allying with are straight up like Nanjing denialists, right, they're like you know, they're they're they're people whose lines on Japanese colonization or either that it was good or we didn't do any crimes.
Speaker 6: Right, Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So it comes off pretty pretty you know, boldfaced and ironic and just very obvious that this is a money ploy.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah. But but I think it's interesting kind of politically too, because you know, like if you if you on the one hand push denihilism, but then on the other hand, you turn around and you're the only people going like, hey, look at all these crimes your government did, Like don't you owe like Korea so much? I feel like that's like it's a really like terrible and like it's just unbelievably cynical way of exploiting, like the exploiting just the whole ord is of Japanese imperialism to get.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, it's it's very underhanded, especially giving that I feel like there is been some evidence that I mean at least early church members, uh and those around them may have been collaborators at the time as well. So yeah, it's very disingenuine and a completely twisted way to go about anything.
Speaker 6: But people people buy into it and heavily.
Speaker 3: So yeah, one of the ways they've they've sort of done this is allying with with the Liberal Democratic Party. So nobody Takishi, who again is Abbi's grandfather, like, is the guy who brought the Unification Church into the party. And this was kind of a controversial thing because okay it was. It was kind of a controversial thing, not because the Unification Church is a cult, but because the Unification Church is Korean, which is like a dynamic that's at play here and this whole thing, which is you have this weird okay. So there's like two kinds of people who are anti Unification Church in Japan. It's you have like the leftists who are anti Unification Church because they're a cults and because they're you know, like a sort of Cat's Paul of American imperialism and then you have like these ultra right wingers who are like, these people are Koreans and so we hate them, which is like a I don't know, truly terrifying Japan dynamic Buthi. Kish's able to sort of overcome this and he okay. So this is the part that I don't know if you know more about this than I do. So every the stuff that I've seen about this talks about the Unification Church and the Yakuza kind of hammering out a deal to allow the Unification Church to like do the specific kinds of scams. And I've always assumed that Kishi broke at this because No Basika Kishi also is very very well connected with the Yakuza. He's been connected with the yakuza since like the twenties and thirties, So I always assumed that he brokeer this deal. But I'm not in talking sure, I don't know. I don't know if you've run into anything about it.
Speaker 7: So I know that some of it has to do with Asami Kuboki, I believe, But I wouldn't be surprised if initial links do come through Kishi, I wouldn't. I would not be surprised about that I don't know where exactly, like, you know, initially that would make sense.
Speaker 6: That would make sense.
Speaker 7: Honestly because like going back to the sort of end of the Korean War and World War two, basically how all these you know, prisoners that were Class A war criminals got you know, they got let off the books because they decided to work for America now.
Speaker 6: And and and basically.
Speaker 7: These guys were the first guys who started like funding and financing and like supporting the church with like the help of like MacArthur and stuff. And MacArthur of course is the one who got Moon out of prison.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I mean there's a lot of sort of there's a lot of very very the the the LDP as a party is sort of directly like like directly it is formed by the Dullest Brothers interviewing with the sort of Japanese right and telling them like, you guys all have to like, you guys all have to put aside your differences and form this party so as to stop like even like a vaguely centered left government from coming to power.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And the connections here are really deep. Like Kishi.
Speaker 5: Kishi literally sells.
Speaker 3: Unification Church their first building in Japan and that building is like his residence, so they are they are even deep and in it for the long haul.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and the multi generation yeah yeah, and this has been you know, sort of going on for a very long time, even after like Kishi's like specific kind of like fascist corruption faction kind of eventually falls out of favor in like the eighties because they they they kind of a series of deals with the Americans that are like too corrupt for the US that ends with like ends with a fascist porn star I like dry attempting to do a Kamakazi run.
Speaker 3: And a Yaka is a boss by flying a plane into his house, which is which is a whole thing. But you know, so that this kind of gets us to many generations of LDP, which is the Liberal Democratic Party, which has been the ruling party of Japan for most of it's sort of modern history. Many generations did this go by, and you know there's there's I think a really incredible symbiosis here where like the LDP has like consistently gotten them out of trouble of like stuff that like like they're they're you know, there's a famous example where Moon like shouldn't have been able to enter Japan because he would have been convicted of a felony in the US. And you know the and there's also like there's been a series of investigations into the Church have just gotten squashed because the LDPOLE know.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they're too powerful, They're they're in with the guys, are running things.
Speaker 3: And I think this just kind of brings us to the immediate Abbe stuff, which I think is really interesting, which is that like Abbe, okay, so long ago, in a galaxy, far far away dream Kishi's generation, the CIA was like literally running LDP elections like this is the CIA would go in with individual candidates and they would go in to sort of play the vote. They would go in and they would have like CIA assets doing canvassing for them. And what I think is really interesting is that like from what I what I've seen, it seems like Abbe basically replaced the CIA with the Moonies in the two thousands, where he was having the church do exactly the same thing the CIA did of like like hey, if you're ally with us, we will like you know, we will like go district by district and campaign for you and like use our influence networks.
Speaker 6: It's funny how that keeps happening.
Speaker 9: Yeah, hmmm, Yeah, it's really the sort of long arc of But it's funny too because it's like like quite frankly like at this point, like from the CIA's point of view, like it's utterly unclear to me.
Speaker 3: If it matters at all whether the LDP or like their absolutely identical opposition party like comes into power. But there's still just this kind of like like the ghost of the CIA from like when they actually had to stop the communists in like the cifty sixties and seventies, I guess a bit through the eighties. It's just sort of still there and still doing like all of the same things that Yeah, yeah, yeah, you know who else? Actually I don't think they've ever advertised on this show, but you know who probably wouldn't be that out of place given the Reagan coin people. I don't know, it's it's ads, it's we're doing them. I hope they don't suck and we're back. Okay, So this is something I wanted to ask you. How So, in the last few months, there's been a lot of developments in terms of the reaction to the Church in Japan and how the Church has been reacting to the sort of swings in public sentiment that have been happening. So yeah, I guess I want to tesk you. So, how what's been happening inside the Japanese government since all of the stufface sort of been coming out?
Speaker 7: So uh, it seems to be that there has been quite a kerfuffle because quite a few members of both the LDP and other parties have ties to the Unification Church. So I've got some stats here, and forgive me if these are not the most current. I tried my best to find the most current, the most current numbers out here about this, but I was having a little bit of trouble due to translations. So let's see, I've got at least three hundred thirty four prefectural Assembly members in Japan have had dealings with the Unification Church or its affiliates, with over eighty percent of them belonging to the ruling LDP, according to Kyoto News, So Prime Minister of Fumiyo Kushita said that the government was in the final stage of considering whether to seek a court order to dispand the Unification Church. But also, you know his new cabinet, Well, they've got some ties. Okay, at least four lawmakers who admitted having ties to the church. The number of LVP lawmakers was ties to the churches around one hundred and eighty.
Speaker 6: And the second Tenary General has.
Speaker 7: Said that one hundred and seventy nine of the three hundred and seventy nine parliamentarians reported with links to the church and related organizations. And these relationships have ranged from attending church events to accepting donations and receiving elections support.
Speaker 6: And then at least.
Speaker 7: Three hundred and thirty four prefectural councils had contact with the US seeing related words. So there's a lot going on that basically is, there's a lot has come out about who is involved. However, the u SEE is still pretty much just denying everything. The pre trial proceedings for Yamagami began on October thirteenth. It's going to be closed door, so it'll probably be a while a little bit until the information trickles out about that. Hopefully they'll have some like I don't know if like what closed door means in that specific situation, I still have journalists in there, not hopefully, but yeah, a lot has been coming out and people have been calling for a lot of change, it seems, but how much is.
Speaker 6: Actually going to happen, especially.
Speaker 7: When they're saying now it's going to be like maybe one to three years for the deliberation on the case for dissolving the church, which means that the church will have ample time to move all of its funds and set up new new lines of money funneling.
Speaker 3: Basically, yeah, which I think, Yeah, I don't know, like I I have, I have very little faith that even even this sort of like outswing of public pressure is going to like actually seriously cause a liberal Democratic party to like really go after the church because, like I mean, like Abe, like part of the reason Abe got assassinated was that, like I think, like in twenty twenty two, he he get he like he was like he like said a video of of like of a speech like to a like to a man Elaine Unification Church, Evette. I think it was the same one that it might have been the same one that Trump said it too. Maybe it was it was a different event, but like yeah, like that, I don't know. I have a difficult time, I don't know, kind of like believing that they're the like this, like even if this crackdown does come that's going to be effective. I don't know what your thoughts on that.
Speaker 7: I'm excited that there is some movement in that direction. However, I do worry that it won't really make as much of a dent into the functioning of the movement as some people think it could, given that there seems to be a lot of time for them to recuperate funds, and they've been doing a lot of things it seems to make up for funds, as well as the fact that they already just have so much money and so many funds in the first place. It's hard to say how much they even have and how much this would make a dent into it were.
Speaker 6: It to happen, So it's hard to say.
Speaker 7: And I also do worry that that'll just sort of incentivize them to sort of further radicalize people in a very dangerous far right direction and sort of going into that. There have been some sort of recent developments within the church since all of this has come out, basically, and people are calling for some sort of justice and some sort of understanding of what's going on, which you know, the church continues to deny, but recently Hawk Jahan who is now the leader of the Mainline Church, has been meeting with the youth in multiple countries UH and recently at Japan, she sat down and told them that they are a Kamakazi group basically to save Japan in the world. So I can't imagine it's ever really, it like, it never has ended well when somebody says that to an occult leader says that to their constituents, it never goes well. And you know, acts of violence against oneself like self emolation or other things murder have not been you know, out of the realm of things that people in the Unification of Church have done in the past. So it does kind of worry me. And she's actually hot. Jahan is actually going to be meeting I believe it's the weekend of the seventh UH in Vegas with the Youth of America. So I wonder if she's going to be saying similar things at that event.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, that wouldn't surprise me, it would.
Speaker 7: Seem I have a feeling it seems to be since she's been going around and meeting, because she's also met with the youth of Europe in the Middle East, that there's like a concerted effort here to sort of get youth engagement up, which leads me into a couple of other things here. I know that for a couple of years now, the Global Peace Foundation, which is under Preston Moon, has been involved with like different like music festivals and things with K pop artists and stuff. But recently there was actually an event this year is supposed to happen called twenty twenty three Korean Dream Festa for Korean United, and then the original poster it was said that it was Global Peace Foundation that was one of the groups that was leading this. A lot of fans have soaken up, and I know at least one of the groups has pulled out, so clearly at least within that within that prong of the U see that there's there's there's some very active like trying to outreach to the youth, which I think I think I would be able to say is pretty across the board at this point. I think they're all trying some new strategies because they see that people are leaving, and especially with the number of people that have been speaking up lately, they really want to keep those numbers.
Speaker 6: And engage new people as well. Part of this also.
Speaker 7: Makes me think that might be why Sean Moon is doing the sort of like Maga rapper thing.
Speaker 3: I don't know, yeah, you know, because he could he could just be like it's possible, but yeah.
Speaker 7: But it does strike me as something that's like, hmm, maybe this is a way to get kids into the movement, you know, Like I don't really know. Part of me is also wondered why if if that is part of why Caleb Moppin has showed up at Mooney things now.
Speaker 10: Like yeah, just yeah, uh that guy, that guy, But like, yeah, it just makes me wonder about like different onboarding ramps that might be being tapped because there's potentially, you know, like a little bit of a lull here and there's.
Speaker 6: Going to be a financial dip in this specific chain. I don't really know. I can't claim to I have suspicions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think it makes I think as a theory, it makes sense, like you, I mean, the ufcation churches, the Unification Church has always tried to sort of stick itself into like different cultural trends, and I think, right, I like for what I voted stood like, I don't I don't think the last time they really tried the U strategy worked very well, like in the late twenty early twenty tens.
Speaker 7: Right, Yeah, no, it didn't. It didn't work particularly well. I wonder, however, you know, times are changing. If they happen to get one or two good strategists on board, that could change everything, honestly, But I also don't necessarily know that this is going to go well for them, seeing is that they're deeply uncool. It's a real big issue, like that's the main issue for like trying to get youth engagement up. I feel like, you know, I don't know, Uh, there's only so cool you can make it sound, which is nothing like no.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I mean it is interesting that they're kind of like the mop in things specifically is really interesting because it's it's it seems like, I don't know, it seems like they're trying to tap into this like just like whatever weird currents of like new right like stuff they can get their hands on.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it seems like that honestly to me too. And it's also specifically ironic considering that Caleb used to hit me up for information on the Moonies a lot before I.
Speaker 6: Figured that was right. He was a creep.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, and uh before I figured out he was a creep and like not somebody I wanted to be talking to.
Speaker 6: So he knows all this shit about them and.
Speaker 7: Continues and like willfully yeah, is engaging with them, which to me is just like mm hmmm.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It's like if you if you're if you're gonna sell out, like at least at least sell out into a podcast, don't sell out to a fucking cult like Jesus Christ.
Speaker 6: Come on, it's just ridiculous stuff.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really terrible.
Speaker 6: I don't know, like, yeah, it's the mashup we didn't need.
Speaker 3: And this I think this has been eased to something else I wanted to ask about. So other than the sort of like youth strategy stuff, has there been a reaction from like the Rod of Iron ministry or like the other sort of like uh, splinter fractions of the church to the to the stuff that's been happening in Japan like have and also ask the everything like as best, like everything that I've seen seems suggest that the if they were gonna like if they were gonna disband the church, it would only be the main branch. Has there been like, has the statement going after the other branches too, or.
Speaker 7: So in that respect, I am actually still kind of unclear and have some research questions I need to on that matter. As far as I've been aware, the other branches have been reasonably quiet about it. It doesn't mean that they're not internally doing things. I know that they both have large populations in Japan as well of membership, so it would make sense that they would be trying to figure something out.
Speaker 6: However, I don't actually know if.
Speaker 7: Legally they are going to be gone after the same way as the mainline church, and that's something I just need to clear up myself. But honestly, they haven't been speaking as much about it as I thought they might.
Speaker 6: That doesn't mean that they're not. It also just might mean that they're not publishing it, you know.
Speaker 7: But part of me also wants to know if the reason that you know, hak Jahan is coming to America that certain weekend is because that's exact same weekend that the Rod of Iron Freedom Festival is happening, and she just doesn't want to get beheaded by her sons who want to behead her. So yeah, because it's like, ah, she knows they're they're doing that weekend. I mean, I don't know, like that's it's just maybe silly speculation. But at the same time, they have literally said that they want to behead her.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I wouldn't be.
Speaker 6: From them if I were her.
Speaker 3: Yeah that that that that that entire fight is really a like like no matter it's either a like the eat pop or let them fight or the no matter who wins, we lose kind of thing.
Speaker 6: Right, It's just quite a mess.
Speaker 7: Like I can say that I have a lot of family drama, but nothing compared to this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just wild. Yeah.
Speaker 7: So there was a show that was originally going to be called The Devil's Whispers that was to be aired in Japan, but of course the UC complained a little bit, and they said that the program included a dramatization.
Speaker 6: They said that basically, they.
Speaker 7: They claimed that this dramatized program which was showing past tense of the group to recruit believers, including uh hiding the group's name in door to door sales taxics designs disguised as charitable. First of all, in HK, the channel that was going to air it, first of all, change the name to Dangerous Whispers, instead of the Devil's Whispers, But the church also tried to tried to make them cancel like the show from happening and airing. As far as I'm aware, I think it actually did air a couple of nights ago though.
Speaker 3: Glad gle g glad they got it through. But like the fact, yeah the name changed, like really.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm like, still, it's pretty ridiculous, Like maybe they changed it, but I think what they had said it was like sometimes in post production will change the name for whatever reason or something like that. But it's like, are you sure it's not because the church complained.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, yeah, so I don't really know. Well I guess, I guess. I guess no. One more thing I wanted to talk a bit about, which is that, And this is something we've been seeing already, is people talking about like, oh, you shouldn't spand the church on religious freedom grounds. And that's something that the U see has been really really successful at sort of hiding behind you when anyone tries to go after them, like they did this in the seventies and eighties, when there were campaigns to like prosecute them for just the crimes they were doing. Was that a bunch of sort of like like not just not just right wing groups, but sort of like like like civil libertarian groups, like like we're like, oh, you can't do this because if you if if they go after the UFI Gacia Church, they're going to be able to go after like any religious groups. And that's just like not true, Like it's just not true. These people are not like whatever you're you know, in terms of sort of whatever, like the crimes of like a normal religious group group are like the church is not a normal religious group. They have been funding desk squads for like longer than most of the people listening to the show have been alive. And yeah, I don't know. I just want to sort of like like just make people aware of it. They're going to try this shit again. And it was it was bullshit less and he did it.
Speaker 6: It's bullshit now, yeah, one hundred percent. And that's that's the thing that keeps annoying me. Well, it's not nothing.
Speaker 7: There are many things about this that annoy me and make me very enraged, But one of them is that the playbook doesn't change. Yeah, no, it's very very straightforward. This is how it's going to work. I'm kind of wondering also if the cult is going to sort of like roll out new providential edicts that will like potentially be like, oh no, this is going to be our new country that we get the most money out of, or this maybe or something like, you know, just something that they're going to say that God has made it this way so that like, yeah, you can change those.
Speaker 6: Money money funneling tunnels.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. The only prediction that I can make and I'm absolutely sure of is that it's going to be wild and it's going to suck.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm looking forward to how this is going to play out, honestly, especially given all of the like Kamakazi squad comments and stuff, makes me ill, It makes it makes me scared, It makes me not feel confident about the way that this is going to turn out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm kind of of two minds of this because like I'm hoping this will go well and this will actually work and that like even if the church tries to lash out, it's like doesn't work very well. I do think also the way that this assassination has like been turning just random like regular people in Japan who don't really know anything about the Church against them has been really really interesting and powerful in a way that was I mean not the I don't know, so there's I've been saying is like the top of the show kind of as a joke, but like, this really has been a very successful like political assassination in that it hasn't like, it hasn't back it hasn't yet backfired in a way that helps the church, and it seems to have really don't know, it seems it seemed to have very powerfully achieved this objective of getting people to go, wait, hold on, who is this cult that is like not I don't know, running is maybe too strong of a word, but has like completely embedded itself in the in Japan's ruling class.
Speaker 6: Right, yeah, yeah, people are asking questions.
Speaker 3: Now, yeah, which which I think is good. And I don't know, I hope the other thing I'm hoping is that this like people start doing this in like the US and in Korea and in like all of the other places that they've been doing shit like this, because this isn't just.
Speaker 7: Yeah, because that's been global and there have been so many people that have been victims of this group that I know a lot of us in America have also started speaking out about it, and the media here has not been quite as interested in picking up, uh, what we have to say. To a degree, they have been, but it's usually you know, sensationalized.
Speaker 6: And made a little weird and just yeah, yeah the point, oh sorry, yeah, go on, yeah, like there's.
Speaker 3: A there's a really this is something like I've read a lot of sort of American coverage of this alongside the Japanese coverage, and I mean, like I expect this of the Japanese. Wow, Okay, I guess I expect this of both, like parts of the coverage, but there is there has been very very little, if any willingness to like talk about the church's connection to the CIA, and they're you know, people will talk about them like as an anti communist group, but right like yeah, like the don't take that extra step, yeah yeah, like you have like it's they're not just in it. Like there there there are lots of anti communist groups. I mean, there are no anti communist groups that are good, right, but like there are lots of anti communist groups that never funded death squads in like not what was what was the actual number like sixteen I had I had I had a count at one point of the number of countries they funded desk squads in. But like like most most most most people haven't like like funded coups in Bolivia and like you know, kept like allowed to ran Contra to happen by keeping the Contras in the war, or like sent weapons of the mousia Hadeen like yo, like they they really they they really they've I don't know, like I I mean, I like I guess, like you know, in terms of the sort of like this is the bourgeois press stuff it like it like it makes sense ideologically why people don't want to talk about their connections to the CIA and like the operations they pulled in the US and all of the just imperials that they've been doing. But it's it's really depressing because yeah, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 7: It feels demoralizing sometimes because people only want to tell part of the story when it's like not too crazy and out there sounding for them. It's like, no, I tell you what, the actual story behind this group is crazier and more out there than you could ever imagine.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, yeah, and I think I think that's that's been an important I mean that's I think why the work you're doing is really important because thank you, like you have to actually make like you're you're one of the few people like actually making these connections. And yeah, I really I really appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 7: I appreciate that you appreciate it because it's sometimes it's it's.
Speaker 6: Weird work to do, Like I just read a lot about horrible things, and.
Speaker 7: You know, I mean, like I was saying that I can take a toll on you to a degree, and sometimes I'll have to take breaks from it, but at the end of the day, I'm always going to go back to it because, like I think it's worth doing, because the stuff needs to be talked about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, I guess do you have anything else that you wanted to say.
Speaker 7: Before I'll just plug deprogramming, imperialism, those two words. I think there's an underscore on our Instagram. Let me just double check. If there's an underscore, we will.
Speaker 3: Put links to this in the description.
Speaker 6: Appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you so much for coming on the show. And yeah, fuck these.
Speaker 7: People, yeah for real, they've done some really bad stuff.
Speaker 3: So hopefully, hopefully this is finally after like so many generations of terrible crimes they've been doing that. This is finally the one that's going to fucking crush them.
Speaker 7: We can hope, you know, yeah, you can very much hope though. And the more people are talking about it the better. The more people understand, like the history behind the movement, the better.
Speaker 6: So thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and yeah, this has been it can happen here. You can find us assuming Twitter still exists, when this goes up on Twitter, Instagram, haf in here pod. Yeah, you can find sources of goals on media. Yeah, go go into the world, destroy imperialism and crush the remains of these dog shit ass cults.
Speaker 11: Yeah, okay, I am also going cool.
Speaker 1: Let's go, let's suck it up.
Speaker 5: Mm hmm. Maybe that should be our intro. Keep it Yeah, you leave it all in Daniel. This is how.
Speaker 1: Fucking up my cool zone media.
Speaker 5: That's a great question, Robert, It's one we don't like to answer. The answer is yeah, Reaganagan coins. Yeah, we've got into it.
Speaker 1: Oh that's what's funding James. It's a common mistake mixing those two words up.
Speaker 5: Okay, I see yeah, yeah, I thought it was because we got to a dispute about who is going to get the next gold coin that they send us, No, every every month.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's uh, that's that's what funds are. Incredible work, your incredible work mostly over at the border.
Speaker 12: That's right.
Speaker 5: Yep. Before enough, very good, thank you, magic man.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Right before and after I go, I dive like Scrooge mc duck into my giant pile of gold coins. Yeah, and it helps me recover. But yeah, talking of the border, I am not the only one with a giant pile of gold coins who has been going to the border because friend of the show Elon Musk, has also been taking.
Speaker 1: Well you got to bring him into this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, certainly, Rubbert, he brought himself into this.
Speaker 1: Why he got to bring himself out?
Speaker 5: Yeah, really, this wasn't my believe me, buddy. I would like nothing more than to never hear his name again, but unfortunately addressed.
Speaker 1: I would like to hear it again, but specifically I would like to hear the sentence from a news anchor Elon Musk eaten by a crocodile. Yes, I was just thinking crocodile in a failed motorcycle stunt in the Florida Keys.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'd settle with like hippopotamus, crocodile.
Speaker 1: Any semi aquatic animal eating him would be pretty amusing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if a managi ate him, I'd be fucking pumped. We'd love to see it. Yeah, if any one carnivor amanity yeah yeah, yeah, it's been training its whole life for this. Yeah, that'll be in our next merch drop. Okay, so yeah, Elmo in some kind of I don't know, like punished woody cosplay.
Speaker 13: It was the very costumish, it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was. We have a saying in Texas for people who wear cowboy hats and cowboy boots when they shouldn't, and it's all had no cattle, and that is he is the definition of that.
Speaker 13: Classes I think really punched it up, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he just looked like a balland like I can't it's really remarkable that he can be that wealthy and always looks so awkward and like you could just pay someone to buy you clothes, bro, and like, at least Jeff Bezos got your when he got really rich. Elon must still looks like Humpty dumpty, not to like does look Besis looks weirdest freaking like a plastic They.
Speaker 1: All look weird, and I don't care about the fact that Elon Musk is. You know, he's not jagged or swollen, but he's not a wildly abnormal body shape for a man. And what is fucking fifty's like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, he's older than I imagine.
Speaker 1: I'm shit on him for playing at something he clearly is not, because no man has ever been further from being a cowboy.
Speaker 5: Yes, that is true, he has very few cattle. Yeah, there's no shame in anyone's body shape. It's just funny to mock Elon Musk, I guess.
Speaker 6: So.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Elon turned up at the border and he decided that he was going to learn about the border, and the way that he decided he was going to learn about the border was by assembling a collection of cops and one representative to lie to him about the border, which many of you who follow things like Journalist and will be aware that cops lie actually quite a lot, and that is what happened here unsurprisingly. So I guess I just want to take this chance to a update everyone on what's been happening since we last upbated everyone what's been happening at the border, and be just address some of these myths.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 5: Something we talked about over the break was like lots of people between now and the end of the year will be seeing family members who they might not see very often, and they might not see them too now in the next election. And there are a lot of myths specifically about migration that we will maybe copy in another episode. But I think there's some valuable stuff here that people can address. If people in your circle have been influenced by Elon Musk citizen journalism, then I think it's really important to just point out that it's all bullshit then so easily discoverably bullshit. Now, obviously not everyone spends as much time at the southern border of the United States as I do, and not everyone lives on the border. Must doesn't live on the border either, and he clearly thinks that people who do exist in some kind of world West fantasia where people you know, wear cowboy hats and cowboy boots. But like for most of us, for many of us, it's is our day to day reality, and so it's easy to go, I guess, and talk to some cops and like wave at some people who have been corralled up like like they like cattle or some kind of animals, right, yeah, right, like not engaging with them as people and throughout this right like, at no point in his little border screed, which I don't think you have to watch, by the way, if you haven't watched it, like I'm very now.
Speaker 1: You're not you're not going to like benefit from it.
Speaker 5: No, you won't learn shit.
Speaker 13: But there is there is a clip I found that's like a minute long on YouTube from the live stream where the like maybe like most ninety percent of it is him trying to flip the camera to.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was that was very funny. Yeah that yes, real iron man vibes from the guy who can't reverse his camera and then he ends up just holding it the way around in yeah this intellectual yeah no titan Elil musk So. I think the first part is that when he starts to well, first he says as an immigrant myself, which is like, yeah, brock, I'm an immigrant to the differences. I didn't have to walk across the desert carrying my child and then be detained in open air concentration camp while people around me got fucking hypothermia and then questioned about the legitimacy of my travel and right to be here, and then I'm able to work for years. Migration experiences are different, different, and you don't have a right to condescend to people who are often among some of the least fortunate people in the world, just because your mum was a Canadian citizen and you came here to go to school, Like, it's not the fucking same. And I say this as someone who came here to go to school, right, Like, it's.
Speaker 1: The same as if like I were to take a fucking flight from North Africa to Spain and be like, well, having migrated to Spain from America, Like, it's really not a dangerous journey. Yeah, it's a completely different situation.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yes, yeah, And you compare yourself to Amelia Heart and the same, it's no different. So, yeah, like Elon Musk came to this country in a very different circumstance to many of these people. The first claim that's made in this video, which is which is bullshit. It's this quote unquote open border policy. Now, at no point do any of these like old men in hats define what they mean by open border policy. And that's because it doesn't exist. It's not a thing. There is no open border policy. There has never been an open border policy Biden's. So I was in Tijuana at the Pedwest people know where. That is so at that point in time that on the day Biden was inaugurated, I was there, right. I was there because a large group of migrants were waiting to see if Joe Biden would change anything, and they had been stuck in Tijuana for month years in some cases. I spoke to people who had been sexually assaulted. I spoke to people who had been robbed. I spoke to people who lived in fear for their lives right, and they were not safe in Mexico and wanted to come to the United States. And they had seen the way Biden campaigned, and they hoped that he would do something better. Did he fuck know? He did not. For years, he continued the same policies that Trump put in place in COVID Biden Title forty two more people than Trump did. Right, The Title forty two policy was in place for much longer under Biden than it was under Trump. It's completely untrue to suggest that Biden not, at any point in his presidency opened up the border. What did happen in May. As people will be aware, is that Title forty two ended. It didn't end because Biden decided it had to end. It ended because the emergency for COVID nineteen ended. And Title forty two is not immigration law, its public health law. And so with the end of this policy, that allowed the government to do things that would not normally be able to do because it was a quote unquote emergency, they were not able to do this extraordinary and extraordinarily cruel thing, which which was Title forty two. Right, That wasn't a Biden choice, that that was an end, that was a decision forced upon him. Indeed, the Biden administration defended Title forty two in court. What has happened since then is that migrant numbers have dropped. They have decreased since the end of Title forty two. That's because lots of people saw the harsh anti migration rhetoric that was coming from the Biden White House, right, Mayorcus out there spouting stuff about bands you'll be banned from seeking asylum for five years if your court crossing between ports of entry, and that led to people thinking they had to cross before the end of Title forty two. Right now, what Title forty two did do is create a massive backlog of asylum applications because we weren't processing those applications and we were bouncing people back to Mexico, where as I've hopefully already illustrated, they were not safe. They didn't feel that that was a safe third country for them, and so in the months after Title forty two, those people have tried to cross and to make their asylum applications right. They're supposed to use app called CBP one. As we've documented in very great detail, that app is completely unfit for purpose. And people can listen to my title forty two episodes, they can listen to the interview when it did with Jake and Austin about CBP one. The issues with it are many. The facial liveness scan that it does doesn't work for people who have darker skin, It requires Wi Fi, it requires Internet connectivity. These are things that no long migrants have, and that the migrants who do have tend to be richer and tend to be whiter, so it facilitates a certain type of migrant. At one point in I believe April of this year, forty percent of the CBP one applications that were CBP one appointments that were made for Sylum applications were made for people who spoke Russian. If we spoke Russian on not forty percent of the migrants that was in Tijuana. And I guess what that means is that people who you know, especially in my experience, people from African countries are unable to apply for appointments using CBP one. Also, it's only available in a couple of languages, or three languages I believe, English, Spanish, and Haitian Creole. If you don't speak those languages is going to be a lot harder. There are many other issues with CBP one and other apps that DHS uses. But what has happened since the end of title forty two in May right is people have tried. This backlog has begun to sort of people have started to try and present their applications. And what's happening now is that people are crossing in very large numbers. That's not untrue that happens at this time of year. So the last kind of quote unquote normal years we had were I suppose twenty eighteen and twenty nineteen. If people cast their minds back to the November of twenty eighteen. You remember that was the Trump midterms, and you remember the quote unquote migrant caravan that are Identijuana at that time with thousands of people. The reason that people are always traveling at this time of year is because it is easier to travel in the months and I was hot, right, So we will see more people arriving the next few months. That's part of seasonal migrationments because of demand for work. If you're working harvesting things right as a day laborer, that happens at the end of the summer. This is part of a normal and natural cycle. People have always traveled since human beings have existed to take advantage of different conditions, different access to resources. But the idea that at some point Biden instituted an open border policy is nonsense. Biden has closed that border, right, He's built walls through Friendship Park, He's built walls in Texas, he's built walls in California, He's funded DHS more. That border is certainly not open. The large groups of people that you are seeing going through the asylum process under US immigration law, as they have under every other president. They come into the United States, they do an initial interview and they're released with a notice to appear in court. That's always been the case. Now are those notices to appear for dates at further in the future now, Absolutely, And that's because our system is backlogged. Right, because we spent all our fucking money on giving border patrol, the black Hawks, giving our cops tanks, whatever it is that we spend our money on, we haven't spent it on making it easier and quicker for these people to get their asylum claims adjudicated. One of the claims that they make in the video I'm skipping out of the order that they make them in is that the repute he speaking to representative who's a representative for the Southern border region of Texas. He's in Eagle Past, Texas, right, which is an area which I've seen a lot of migration. The guy says there's no repatriation here. Of course, there isn't any repatriation there. That's not what happens in Eagle Pass right. People come, some of them will be immediately repatriated if they are found to be For instance, know that in May somebody who was found to be on the United States terrorism watch list tried to enter the country. That that person wasn't released with a notice to appear right, that person was immediately bounced into either return to their country or more likely in their case, incarcerated. Some people will be detained there. Some people will be repatriated there, but that's because like Del Rio, Texas or Eagle Pass doesn't repatriate people. That's not their role. The courts are the ones who decide who is eligible for asylent right. And it's worth noting that this fiscal year, so that's through August of twenty twenty three, recording in October, but I couldn't find September stats. Immigration judges have issued removal and voluntary departure orders for thirty nine point four percent of completed cases, totaling two hundred and twenty three thousand, five hundred and seventy deportation orders. So it's absolutely ludicrous to say that there's no repatriation. Nearly half of those cases when they come to court result in repatriation. It's and then the representative claims that he called the president of Guatemalan the Guatemalan president said will take people back. Great, of course they will. That that's how international law works. It's not the Guatemalan president's job to decide who is decide who is allowed asylum in the United States. That's the job of the immigration courts. They are deeply flawed. But it's ludicrous to suggests that these people are not being sent back, because a deeply problematic number of them are being sent back, often to very dangerous situations. And I think it's it's deeply misleading and it's troubling to see like elected officials making these claims. I know that elected officials just lie to, you know, to to reinforce the narrative, but it's still troubling. Another claim they were like he was really shocked that people were playing golf next to the border. The US border is thousands of miles long, like we live, like for those of us, for whom it's not like an oddity to come and cause play at it's where we live. And of course we do stuff near the border because it's our home. Like I was camping near the border this week. I ride my bike near the border all the time. There are other golf courses near the border, there are parks near the border, and there's a Tommy Hill figure discount store near the border in Santa Sedro, like, yeah, it's our home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's This is something that when we were at the Butterfly Sanctuary, a friend of ours who had kind of lived on the border for forever, Marianna, brought up a lot, which is that like prior to the you know, September eleventh in particular, these were just like communities, Like the fact that there was a border was more theoretical than anything else. You would cross pretty free. I have friends in southern California that go into Mexico for the week and you didn't have a pass border or anything. Like families you know, would cross to be with each other and stuff like. It was, yeah, the way it is.
Speaker 5: Even post nine eleven. Like for those of us who are fortunate enough to have Century, which is an expert, you can skip the line basically because you've been pre cleared. I go to Tijuana to have dinner pretty often, Like I'll take the trolley down there and then walk through with my bicycle and then ride my bike to the gastropark or something, have dinner, have a couple of beers, rid my back back, take the trolley back. It's nice evening.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean, I don't know how cold it is now, but like a lot of like people that work like nine to five retail jobs or whatever it is, they would just like leave tou Wana and come back, like dad, My dad had hired a bunch of those workers. Yeah, and it was just like normal, was very normal to do that.
Speaker 5: More so now because San Diego is less affordable than it as it has been.
Speaker 13: Like, Yeah, I think the people that don't live near a border or like believe the Rickulus claims me about it. I think they imagine the border is like in this barren wasteland and it's just like a chain link fence or something. I don't think they understand what it actually is.
Speaker 1: They imagine like this desolate, yellow filtered scene from Breaking Bad. Yes, exactly, like movies like fucking Sakaria right where it's this this constant series of gunfights and like like violence occurs on the border. It's the same thing. It's actually a version of the same shit that's happened with like San Francisco and Portland.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have like a riot on a block, or you'll have like a store get robbed, and then people develop this because it gets so hyped by the media there's you can't go into these cities. They're death zones.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It was like no man, like a fucking most most of its nature, right, like that's the fucking border.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's just a place like it's it's not in any way remarkable like that.
Speaker 1: And the primary danger is the fact that people are stopped from having access to like things like water that they need, yeah, by the state.
Speaker 5: So maybe it's a good time to talk about some of the dangers that migrants are facing right now. In the last couple of weeks, it's maybe since we last recorded, I believe five migrants have been shot on the southern side of the border. People. So like this week in southern California, it's much colder. I know it's hot in lots of parts of the country. It wasn't here. We had rain. We're recording on like the first second of October. But last weekend was very cold. I was in a camp near Hakumba on Friday night through late Friday night maybe into Saturday morning, and.
Speaker 3: It was cold. It was wet.
Speaker 5: Temperatures were getting like into the single digits celsius, into the forties and fifties fahrenheit when it's wet, and it's that kind of temperature that's when you start worrying about people getting hypothermia, which is exactly what happened right. People were sick, people had to be evacuated. On Friday night, I was heating up milk for a baby, like a tiny little baby in my camping stove, so that the baby could have milk like not freezing temperatures. Right, it gave someone my gortex jacket. I was there with James and Jacqueline from Boarder Kindness and some other friends. I know some of them listen to the podcast, and it makes me really happy that people who listen to this like take the time out of their busy lives to show up and help other people. Like that's one of the coolest things that about what we do.
Speaker 1: We're very proud of those people and everyone else, you know, Yeah, pick up the slack, come on guys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like I know on that topic, like, there are a relatively few of us. It's a very remote area where we were. You know, you need a truck to get to it. Maybe a decent clearance car would be fine, but there were like six of us at one point. It is not easy to do that. Day in and day out. It really affects you to see someone's little baby sleeping in the dirt and they're asking you, like, you know, can I have a jacket and you've already given someone your jacket? Can I have a sleeping bag and you've given away all the sleeping bags you have? Like, it's fucked. It's not good for you. And I know it's taken a toll on those people, and it would be great if more people could come. As James Jaqueline said, we're vetting everyone because there are people who would like to do harm to migrants and people who don't like migrants. And so if you go back and listen to the episode or the relevant links and email addresses to volunteer there, even if you just send money, it's better to send money then to send us stuff. We've had a ton of I spent a decent chunk of Friday afternoon going through donated stuff. Some of it's great, some of it I'm afraid. Like, if a jacket is has giant holes in it for you, it also has giant holes in it for someone who's less rich than you, and it doesn't keep them any warmer than it keeps you, so like, you know, it's better if people send money, but that's taken its toll on people. It's taking its toll on the people in the camps too, not to say that they're not in very good spirits. Like it's so I was there at about ten o'clock at night when people What happens, right is people walk around the gaps in the wall, which again didn't come up in Elon Musk's video. Right there are giant, yawning gaps in the wall because they were trying to build as much of it as possible before the twenty twenty election, and so they skipped the hard parts. So people walk through where the wall stops, they're met by border patrol. Border patrol then drives them. I don't mean drive somebody like put them in the back of the vehicle. I mean drive them like you would drive cattle, by going behind them in a vehicle and pushing them forward and walks them into the camp, right, and then they arrive in the camp, and it's it's they arrive and like I was going up to ascertained, you know what sort of group it was? Were they people who were in severe distress? Right, like hypothermic or hurt or injured. I know someone came later in a week who had a very bad injury, who had fallen maybe trying to climb the wall. And so you're going to kind of trite that group, right, And some people were really start they're in America, like, and then they wanted to give me like a hug or a fist bump and be like, yeah, I'm here. Obviously some of them weren't prepared. None of them were prepared for sleeping outside. And then generally, like there have been large kind of just shelters made out of cacti or brush or scrub or whatever's there, which tend to be based around like national groups, right, just people have their community so that it's one for Colombian people, Brazilian people, punt Jabi, Sikh people. There were Kurdish people, Turkish, a lot of Turkish people, Afghan people, and so they kind of because they can talk to each other, they'll be like, hey, come over here, Afghan friend, like you know, we'll look after you. We've got this shelter set out, we've got a fire going, get yourself warm. And then those people can spend anywhere from one to three days there before they're taken out right, and so like, it's an extremely bad situation and it will only get worse, So weather gets worse. Talking of things which which are bad, should should we should we take this opportunity to pivot to things that people don't need to buy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they definitely need to buy them, James, because pass anyway, here's ads.
Speaker 5: All right, we're back, hopeful you have repleted. You're a pile of goldgoyins. So I wanted to return to addressing some words of disinformation that Elon Muskot from Men and cowboy hats. One of the things they talked about a lot was that they talk about numbers, right, They're like, oh, there are two million, there are four million. At no point do they say what these numbers represent. Are these numbers net migration? Are they border crossings between ports of entry? Are they the number of asylum cases? Are they the number of encounters the border patrol has had? Because as we know, right, an encounter doesn't necessarily mean individual. If one person crosses two or three times, that's two or three encounters, right, And they never talk about that because they're just pulling this shit out their asses. If you want information, these people are not people to get it from. None of them are even working in border enforcement.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: These were sheriffs that he spoke to. They talk a lot about how there are quote unquote two million of them, but the real number is four or five million because of the quote unquote gotaways a people who have not been processed at all. Right, They have entered between ports of entry and then are undocumented. This is nonsense. People don't want to be undocumented. People are here because they believe they have a legitimate asylum claim. They are fleeing violence, right, they have one of the We've been over to five categories that you can get asylum for before on the podcast. I won't read them out again, but I have seen people. For instance, I saw one person who they were transported to the hospital. The hospital let them out on the street in San Diego. They took a cab back to the border because they don't want to just be floating around in the US with no papers and able to work, worried that like a parking ticket or a traffic stock could send them back to wherever they'd fled from. Right, Because they've fled because they're afraid of something, and they don't want to be sent back.
Speaker 13: I think something that really bothered me in the video was how much they emphasize that, Like, remember, most of these people that can be escaping prison, they're all in they used to be incarcerated. And I'm just like, what, Like, that's not it's just like this fear mongering tactic that's so silly and trying to make people all believe that there's everyone at the border are just like prison inmates essentially.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The other side, all you often get is like, well, they're all young men heading over, and a lot of times of this like some of this is like racial panic, they're gonna you know, take our women or whatever. Some of this is like, you know, men are soldiers, you know, it's military. The reality is that, like, especially when you're talking about like the migrants who are crossing the fucking dairy and gap, this is an incredibly dangerous journey. Young men are generally a little more capable physically of it. And also it's you know, especially given some realities of a lot of you know, these cultures, that's who you expect to go and make money and send it back to their families like that that's just like it's they're not invading you. You know, this is like, these are the people who are going to work jobs and send money back to their families.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like we live in a society which is both patriarchial, patriarch and misogynist. Right, They're able to command a higher wage and they can use that to keep their families alive. I've spoken to lots of families for whom the young men left the country there in first earned money somewhere else, and then was able to raise enough money to get the rest of their family smuggled out or to facilitate their transport and then bring them to the US because they thought it wasn't safe for them there. Also, like, if you're a military aged male in some countries Russia or lots of countries in the sahell, now you could be forcibly drafted right into one of any number of conflicts that you want no part of. And I wouldn't want to do that either. I'd want to leave right And I've spoken to people who have fled that kind of situation this week. So Yeah, of the gender balance, I don't know, it's very hard to get a sense of the actual gender balance because border patrol tends to process women and children first, and especially unaccompany children of course first, but it's very hard to get into the actual gender balance without like looking at border patrol statistics, and they take a month or two to come out generally. Yeah, they talk about people with tear drop tattoos. I would estimate that I have seen tens, if not hundreds of thousands of people at the southern border. I've never seen anyone with the tear drop tattoo a leg. You'd have to be all to have.
Speaker 13: They described these like hordes of people trying to get into your home.
Speaker 5: Yes, I genuinely think that someone looked up I don't know, like Latino gangster on Google images, like right before, like racist Google images or whatever, like before they before they went down to the border. Like, I've never seen anyone with a tear drop tattoo. You'd have to be a bit of a lemon to like present yourself for asylum with obvious like stuff like that. They're asolutely going to ask you about your tattoos, or they'll ask you about everything. It's just laughable, it's ridiculous. It's all based in myth and not in reality. And what troubles me the most I think is I don't know how many people have watched Elon Musk's live stream, right, and hopefully most of them that did saw someone completely incapable of like asking interrogated questions, or reversing the camera on his phone, or look dressing like a cowboy. But there has been, to my knowledge, no national network coverage of what's happening in a cumber right. There has been limited local coverage of what's happening in U Cumba. What that has has already stopped because like it was a kind of one and done situation for a lot of outlets, but it's not one and done for the people who are volunteering, and it's not one and done for the people who are still arriving right like there are we're going to see more of this in between now and twenty twenty four. The border is clearly an area that both parties, I guess, have decided that they can grandstand on and can show himself as being quote unquote tough on migration, Like, no, I don't want to live in a world where our leaders are tough on little babies who just walked across a desert like that's a fucked up thing to be tough on. It could be tough on corporate corruption if you want to like front up to someone. And I think the Republicans are going to push on by iten being weak on the border. There will be more migration this year than we have seen a long time because we created a backlog, right because climate change is worse every single year, and like I think, as we've documented extensively on our show, parts of the world are becoming less and less survivable. I went to the Martial Landers this summer. They are disappearing, So of course people are going to want to come to somewhere where they feel safe. There are record numbers of people crossing the Dairy and Gap right now. That is something that will result in record numbers of people showing up a border.
Speaker 1: And for every group of people who make it across the Dairy and Gap, there's folks who don't like. Taking that journey on foot without kind of access to modern quality overlanding equipment is like putting a bullet in a revolver and playing a game of Russian Roulette. Like it's extremely dangerous.
Speaker 5: Yes, not to mention that you'll be preyed upon, like all the way and they talked about the trains. Actually that video as well, how the migrants control the trains fuck off? Like I have seen people who have lost limbs on trains, right like these that's an incredible jumping on a moving train. It's not an advisable form of transport and it's not a safe one. And the fact that people feel they have to take it suggests that what they are fleeing feels even less safe to them.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: I don't have children, but like if I was to take my kids and grab onto a moving train, I would only do that if I thought that what I was fleeing was less safe than that moving train. Yeah, And to talk about the.
Speaker 13: Last resort literally, like that's how desperate you are to better situation. It's not like I don't know, it just makes me the rhet the rhetoric is all backwards about that.
Speaker 5: Yes, Like when you look at what some of these people are fleeing, right, Like on Friday, I was helping hand out water bottles and I was there was a Punjabi man helping me, right Like he was one of the volunteers who who was like helping us to distribute food and helping us to communicate with people in the language they could understand. Very nice guy. And I was thinking about like the stuff that's happening in India right now, right like and the way that that country is becoming increasingly like monolithic. I guess Hindu nationalists. I guess you could call it. And that's fair, right, Robert, Yeah, yeah, like mod it's not getting any safer for them there, and I've seen tons more seek people than I've ever seen at the border before.
Speaker 1: No, there was a a I mean, fuck, it's it's not necessarily safe in Canada, right where one of those guys got murdered recently.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well they have been in America too, right, someone shut up a good water thinking it was a mosque because they fucking differentiate between different faiths and they sort of turban.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean in Canada, I believe it was a Sikh man who got assassinated at the behest of the Modi government. Oh wow, Jesus Christ. Yeah, Western intelligence led to Canada accusing India of SEK activists assassination. It's a fella named I just want to make sure because this is a story people should we may do some more direct coverage on this, but yeah, there was a guy named Hardeep Singh Nijar who was a Sikh separatist activist and was gunned down by two mask men in British Columbia. India denies that this was at their behest, but yeah, like this is and this is by the way, it's not just a thing that India does. Political assassinations from authoritarian directed by authoritarian countries in Western countries have become more and more common, right. A lot of this started with with what Russia was doing, the poisoning, the Scarpol poisonings and stuff. But like this is growing more calm, and is this sort of like rules based international order that I think to some extent we all kind of tricked ourselves into thinking existed increasingly breaks down. But that's all to say, there's a good reason why a lot of Sikhs might be trying to come into the US right now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Yeah, there's a good reason why I'm seeing so many of them on the border. There's a good reason why I'm seeing a ton more people from Russia, right Yeah. And they don't want to go on record, and that's because they're very afraid, right, They've come from a totalitarian state which can hunt them down, as Robert just illustrated, anywhere in the world, and so they don't want to talk, right, I'm seeing people coming from Columbia, Hondora, Squaff and Marla. One of the things that Musk was shocked about was that, like, not all of these people in Mexican. I don't know how big he thinks Mexico is and what he believes the population of Mexico to be, but at one minute he it's two million a year. Does he think Mexico is just like dwindling and there are like eight people left? Like Mexico is a large country, but like it does not provide us with millions of migrants a year, and more of that like comically impossible narrative, right, Like whatever I mean people and people are going to believe it.
Speaker 13: It's just part of the show.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And it confirms a lot of biases that always exist. And I guess hopefully we've dismissed some of that nonsense. And I think I don't. I think people who listen to this generally have empathy anyway, But hopefully this has given you some tools to talk about this to other people. What they will say is like I'm not a big representative caller. I called my representative to help with a migration case for someone from Myanmar who asked for our help. She was useless. But maybe this is an area where like the federal government has water buffalos, right, big water containers, it has MRIs. If these were American citizens and this was a hurricane or an earthquake, that shit would be there. It's not because they don't think that they matter as much. San Diego County has declared emergency and so they can't do anything. That's complete fucking nonsense. They again, they could if these were American citizens, they would if these people were like white wealthy people living in Lahoya. They're choosing not to because they don't think it will hurt them and like it. Maybe it won't, right, But I think you can make a meaningful difference by donating your money, because the only people who are helping are the dozen or so folks right like who all convoyed out there on Friday night down a dirt road in our trucks and handed out the beans and rice and ritz crackers. But you can make a difference of your money. The border kindness links are put in the description. Again, you can also make a difference, maybe by calling your representative and shaming them, because this is a government created problem, and the government like sticking its hands up in the air and being like, oh no, what a surprise, we'd't know how to do. Yes, they knew this was coming, right, these people, many of them have walked from Colombia. We knew these people were arriving. We've been putting this off since COVID, for three years, since the start of the COVID pandemic. I should say COVID is very much alive. I've seen some people who like obviously weren't able to rap a test everyone, but there are a lot of sick people coughing right, There were people with scabies. There were people who were very unwell. That again, if you detained people in congregate settings and the only masks are the ones that we bring as volunteers, and that's going to happen, right, We'll probably get some infectious disease that they'll get to share with Even if you don't care about other people, Sure it'll come by you and the arts eventually. Right when freaking chicken gun yod, that's not vectored in that fashion, but you know, cholera or something rocks up in America. So I would urge people to do something because so few people are and the only people who are helping our mutual aid groups who are overstretched and stressed and tired and broke. And so if you can help, you should, and well, like whatever that looks like to you, if you want to volunteer, that's great. I would urge you to go through the channels that are set so you don't just show up and look at yourself or someone else.
Speaker 3: In trouble.
Speaker 5: Or just make things harder. But yeah, there are meaningful ways that people can help. Very few people are and largely I think that's because the border exists as some kind of World West fantasy for most people consuming media in America. And hopefully, yeah, if you, if you encounter someone who believes that this will help you, give you a little bit of information, a little bit of some tools to dismiss some of that stuff.
Speaker 13: Yeah, dismiss and demystify really, because it's just thingless, imaginary, big bad wolf that no one really understands.
Speaker 5: Yeah, totally, Like it's nonsense that everyone in America's a migrant. They are indigenous people here now and they always have been, but a lot of people have some kind of migration story. And like, I don't give a fuck if your great grandpa came here quote unquote legally the barriers were not in place yet. There wasn't a wall when your me mar came from wherever she came from. But like in all of our communities, like this country doesn't work with that the labor of recently arrived for migrants. And like I think, if you look at the news, I go to places where wars are happening, right, That's part of my job, so does Robert, you know. And then I see those people at the border. The reason they're here is because they're fleeing something worse, and I think, like maybe grounding it in that, I don't think anyone would want a little baby to be sleeping in there. I know some pretty conservative people who were pretty outraged by what happened in May, and it's worse now. And yeah, no one in their right mind wants a little baby to be shivering out in the desert. You know, no one in their right mind wants a mother to be breastfeeding and sleeping underneath a cardboard box because that's all she has you know, like the it's not even if you believe in it's very liberal construct to America as a welcoming nation and they shouldn't be who we are and shouldn't be.
Speaker 3: How we treat people.
Speaker 5: And if you believe that nation shouldn't exist in borders of bullshit, then no one should be treated like that, and it's on all of us to help. I guess yes, yeah, anything else, guys, No, I think that's about it. Magic. Okay, thank you for joining me for this heartwarming episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, everybody that's going to do it for us here at It could happen here until next time.
Speaker 14: You know, stuff, welcome to it could happen here. I'm Garrison Davis. This is going to be another episode which we're discussing the Defend the Forest and Stop Copcity movement in Atlanta, Georgia. This struggle has always tied together a lot of the aspects that we focus on on this show, between the collapsing climate, political escalation, and how everything just feels like it's kind of getting worse. But through that there's people who respond to this crisis of neoliberalism and band together and figure out how to sort through all of this shit and all that is continuing as the City of Atlanta and State of Georgia unveil new state repression tactics to chill any resistance to the construction of this ninety million dollar police training facility that we have covered in depth in this show the past few years. A few months ago there was another three part series about the sixth Week of Action in June, but new things have happened since then. The referendum has been submitted, so that is all in process. But the same day the construction was scheduled to begin, the State of Georgia indicted sixty one people on RICO charges. RICO is an acronym referring to the Racketeer, Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act. This specific act is meant to legally target organizations, and organizations can relate to anything between you know, traditional incorporated organizations or something as loose as like a pickup basketball team, which is how the state is able to paint whole communities of people who are just connected by similar values as being a quote unquote organization. The RICO Act in practice, is basically a way to criminalize a whole community. Now I'm not a lawyer, but I do know lawyers, so for this episode, I brought on Mo Cohen, a lawyer specializing in state repression. So without further ado, here is my conversation with them. Mo, Hello, thank you for joining me today.
Speaker 4: No grab lim, It's my pleasure.
Speaker 14: So in late August, the Fulton County District Attorney and other kind of legal entities with the State of Georgia unveiled a whole bunch of RICO charges against I believe sixty one people relating to the Stop Coop City quote unquote movement. It's part of, like like I said, it's an ongoing kind of campaign of repression that we've talked about pretty in depth before.
Speaker 5: But before we get into the actual like rico.
Speaker 14: Charges, I first want to kind of talk about the raid that happened against the Atlanta Solidarity Fund earlier this year, and a whole bunch of like financial crime charges that they've been trying to use to suppress the bail fund organizing. I think we've talked about this kind of briefly on the show before, but we've never really gotten very much in depth about it, and from my perspective, a lot of these reco charges are very much related to the repression of the Solidarity Fund mode. I assume you're familiar with the Solidarity Fund raid and the charges against against the Network for Strong Communities.
Speaker 4: I am.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 14: Do we talk a little bit about that event. I think that that happened in May of this year, I believe, so.
Speaker 4: It wasn't a huge surprise. It wasn't, in my opinion, a very well grounded or legally warranted indictment.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And certainly the way that the way that law enforcement went in to retrieve those three people who were indicted was a little extra particularly given the nature of the allegations. I think people who are accused of financial crimes don't typically get taken out with a SWAT team. But I don't think it was a huge surprise that the district attorney brought those charges, because this kind of rego indictment was anticipated. Yes, and those kinds of financial charges or allegations of financial misconduct are sort of the predicate for bringing this kind of sweeping rego indictment.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 14: And I think like in like the weeks and months prior to the SWAT raid against the Solidarity Fund in May, people at the Solidarity Fund were basically warning that they were. They were like suspecting that they would that there would be some form of reco charges used against the movement, and everyone was kind of like preparing for that. That was definitely that was definitely talked about as like as a potential like a tactic of of suppression. You know when you say that the types of like financial crime like fraud charges that that were brought against this the sole Fund people, how they seem kind of unwarranted. That is something that the judge in the bond hearing kind of agreed with. The judge was unimpressed, Yes that I I I I I listened to the uh I listened to the hearing, and the judge is very skeptical of the prosecution's claims and basically told the prosecution like, if you like actually want this to like succeed like in actual like court, you know, once once this progresses, you're you're gonna have to have a much much stronger case because this all seems kind of like nonsense. But you know that that didn't stop the prosecutors and the uh I believe it's the Attorney General Office as well of Georgia of using using kind of some stuff from this from this raid against the Solidarity Fund and trying to kind of tie together this grand conspiracy narrative that we.
Speaker 5: Now see in this uh in this Rico indictment.
Speaker 14: So let's I guess, let's let's talk a little bit about the Rico indictment at this At this point, So, Rico is a very like scary word, right, Like this is like I feel like everyone kind of knows about like rico, like like a pop culture like it's like geist sense. But do I actually like talk about like what these types of rico charges actually are because like you know, most people, even if they charged with the crime, right, most people don't ever like have to deal with like rico as like a concept.
Speaker 5: So do it?
Speaker 14: You know, if if you're like a resident of protest to get like you know, pedestrian in roadway, there's like a litany of other kind of basic charges that cops will throw at you. Rico is a bit more serious, Like it's kind of it's kind of like a scary ordeal, you know, same thing with like the domestic terrorism charges that that that have been used the past year.
Speaker 4: So yes, what is a lot more serious.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So what exactly is rico?
Speaker 4: Rico is uh. While it was initially a federal law that was passed in an effort to target specifically organized crime, because federal prosecutors were having a difficult time prosecuting these sort of individual offenses that were being committed by dispersed groups of individuals who are all acting, maybe not in concert, but in the service of a larger criminal enterprise. There's a couple of important things that I want to say just upfront.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 4: The first thing is this is not the first time that RICO has been used against movement people. The second thing I want to say is that all prosecutions are political prosecutions, and RICO is no different. Although federal RICO and ostensibly Georgia State RICO were developed and passed in an effort to target organized crime, that is not how they've been primarily used. And I think it is really significant to note that after a lot of the people of color solidarity movements like the Black Panthers, the Black Liberation Army, AIM, the Brown Berets, the Young Lords, these groups were all really weakened by Cohen Telpro and the community groups that remained were then labeled as gangs and prosecuted under RICO and so I just you know, everything that happens in this conversation, we have to sort of hold in our minds that this particular movement is not the first movement and not the first community who has had rego leveled against it as a form of state repression.
Speaker 14: Yeah, and specifically Fultland County. It looks like the the batche of indictments that we're using these reco charges. It looks like this was at least according to the to the Atlantic Constitution Journal people this this was the same grand jury that did the ricodictments against former President Donald Trump as well for this, for this, for this batch of charges. And they've used they've used reco charges against like young black wrappers in the past. This is a thing that the Fulton County Office has has done before. Yes, and as like we have like Rico's this is like a criminal racketeering thing against the mob. In terms of like what RICO actually is, Like is it its own separate charge or is it like is it a way to like apply other felony charges, Like you know, can can you just be charged with RICO or is there have to be like other other crimes that you're accused of for them to actually like use this use this charge against these activists.
Speaker 4: RICO is its own criminal offense, but it relies upon there having been other criminal offenses committed in the service of a larger criminal enterprise or a conspiracy to try to do crimes in the service of a larger criminal enterprise. And one of the reasons that it is.
Speaker 15: So broad in sweep, I mean, federal RICO is already very broad in SWEEP and Georgia Rica in particular is notorious for being even broader.
Speaker 4: One of the reasons it is so attractive to prosecutors is precisely because it can capture these large groups of people with very little actual criminal conduct.
Speaker 14: Okay, so yeah, that's kind of one of the things that we want to talk about is I read the indictment as soon as it came out, as soon as it was made public. It is it is a long document. The first patch of it is just like it's almost like a really bad like Wikipedia article on like like what anarchism is is how it is. How the document starts, and then it gets into all these like alleged alleged like offenses that are not necessarily criminal nature, but they're all in the service of pushing forward this conspiracy to stop the construction of this police training facility. So there's a lot of like kind of like a like random almost asked and I and stuff in there that that they're that they're eluding is is a quote unquote an overt act in furtherance of the conspiracy. You know, anything from like buying glue or buying like food supplies, and they're they're including or or things like like like writing your name.
Speaker 5: As A C, A, B.
Speaker 14: They're they're they're including that as as as as an as an overt act in furtherance of the conspiracy, which is kind of silly, it doesn't make very much sense. But like these also these is this is like a very serious case as well though, because this is like you know, the people people, you know, facing twenty years in prison on top of like the domestic terrorism charges. Well, uh, do you know what else is a overt act in furtherance of a conspiracy? It is the the uh, the advertising that allows us to continue this show. It's all, it's all, it's all all part of the plan. So yes, every every single ad is a co conspirator. So take that, uh, Ronald Reikan coin. Okay, we are we are back. We could talk about a bit more about the actual indictment, uh in a sec I do kind of want to first talk about who are facing these charges, right, because these are these are sixty one people, and it looks like for when I was looking through, one of the first things that you noticed is like, oh, they're mostly charging people who have already been charged before. There's not so many new people added to this case. It's mostly people who've already been arrested and charged. Can you kind of like talk about the scope of these sixty one people who are included in this indictment.
Speaker 4: Yes, so, as I was saying, the scope of Georgia Rico is extremely broad, and some of the criminal acts that can serve as a predicate for charging Rico are these extremely unremarkable acts that we would typically think of as being very normal protest related behavior, and some of them are things like domestic terrorism. And so I don't think it is an accident that all of those people were charged with domestic terrorism in the beginning months of this of this sort of push to overcharge the stock Cup City activists, And in fact, I think one of the things that tipped us off at that point that Rico was in the pipeline was that people were being charged with domestic terrorism, which is one of the predicate offenses for Rico, and so many of the people who are on this indictment are the people who are already charged with domestic terrorism. They were overcharged with domestic terrorism. In my opinion, they were overcharged. I think the opinion of most attorneys. They were overcharged. They were charged in that manner, not because the allegations against them are serious. In fact, if you look at the allegations in those domestic terrorism indictments or they're not even indictments yet, most of them in those domestic terrorism charges, in the documents that are associated with those arrests, the allegations are, you know, as I said, these absolutely unremarkable, garden variety sort of criminal trespass allegations, by and large, the allegations against people, and they include things that are absolutely lawful, like having mud on your like having on your knees. Yes, yeah, so a lot of the allegations. One of the things that's remarkable about Rico, and frankly about the domestic terrorism stuff, is that both of those statutes allow for the sort of bootstrapping of one offense into a much more serious offense if certain conditions are met with respect to the domestic terrorism Statute. A very large number of garden variety offens is like criminal trespassing, can be transformed into domestic terrorism if they are perceived to be essentially politically motivated. In the case of So, what we have here is a situation where a bunch of people got charged with domestic terrorism, not because they were doing something really dramatic or violent, but because whatever it was they were doing was perceived as being an effort to influence public policy. So we transformed a very minor offense into a very serious offense. That serious offense then became the predicate offense for Rico, which is an even more serious offense.
Speaker 14: Yeah, And from my understanding at least in terms of a lot of the people in the sixty one indictments are the Sexton One people in the indictment is from the arrests that happened at the music festival last Menstrue, and a lot of these people were only charged with domestic terrorism, which is interesting because usually domestic terrorism in Georgia is like an enhancement charge, but lots of the people weren't actually charged with any of the other other charges yet the prosecutors just argued, because we're charging with the domestic terrorism, it's like inferred that they must have done some other crimes that we haven't yet specified. But in the way that works for the for the Rico indictments, because I think you need to have already had like like I think there's like a prerequisitive like two other like felonious charges. What they did in the in these reco charges is go back to the music festival and break down every single thing that happened there that they're alleging these people did as separate instances like like planning to go to the place, you know, marching to the place, being at the place, Like they broke it down to have all these separate things so that they could like shoehorn it into this Rico indictment. So there's a lot of like a you know, revisionist history going on here, very kind of different arguments than what the actual like domestic terrorism of bond hearings had in like a previous months.
Speaker 5: But yeah, there is at least at least one.
Speaker 14: Person in the indictments who is newly I think I I think possibly a few others, but I haven't quite checked, but there at least one person, which is a very interesting case. It's this, it's this guy who worked at the uh the Flock camera company who I saw that who they are alleging was was passing off information about where cameras were were we're located. And this is an extremely interesting case because he is he is not included in any other previous charges, but that is at least one of the people who who are kind of new additions to this indictment. One thing I didn't want to mention because you've you've said, you've you've kind of mentioned a few times that these are these are state level reco charges. Those are kind of different than federal reco charges. Do you want to kind of get into like the difference between state and federal charges and specifically how kind of the ones in Georgia work versus the the the federal rego that you know, kind of inspired different states to kind of add their own style of rico.
Speaker 4: The big difference between the federal RICO statute, which is already extremely vague. I think Scalia said something like Scalia, who is notoriously not far left activist. Right, I'm not a supporter of leftists in any meaningful way. I think described the federal Rico Statute I think is intolerably vague. So the Federal Rico Statute is already very broad in its scope. It already does this thing that we were discussing of pulling in many, many people by associating them with, you know, this criminal enterprise. The Georgia Ricos Statute is even more broad. The Georgia Ricos Statute uses a lot of the same terms, right, a pattern of racketeering activity. Right, It uses a lot of the same concepts, but it defines those concepts in ways that are even broader, even easier to apply. So I think the thing that is significant about Rico is that, similar to like what we would see with conspiracy, where you know, not every person involved in a conspiracy needs to have been participating in every single criminal instance of criminal conduct in order to be implicated.
Speaker 14: They don't even need to like know the other co conspirators necessarily.
Speaker 4: So that's the case in this indictment. Yes, yes, And that is sometimes the case with maybe other reco indictments. We certainly have seen some stuff like gang prosecutions where the people involved don't know each other. Typically, I wouldn't actually expect to see something that broad. When a prosecutor wants to indict someone for engaging in criminal conduct, they need to have individualized probable cause that that individual did the crime one of the things, and you can't attribute one person's behavior to another person. Rico offers a way around that. To use Rico in the way that the prosecutors in Georgia are doing, among other things, enables them to engage in a sort of collective punishment of people who they perceive as holding certain ideologies. And those people can be engaged in lawful behavior and even in constitutionally protected behavior, but if they can and characterize any of that behavior as having been an overt act in furtherance of the conspiracy, the fact that this person bought glue and was reimbursed for the glue, yeah, can function to allow the prosecutor to attribute all of this other criminal conduct to the person who bought glue.
Speaker 14: Basically, there, people can you know, be hit with charges that are being you know, alleged against actions of other people, but they're all getting like roped up together and they're all facing these charges together, that's right.
Speaker 4: So you can like, the allegation that there is a criminal enterprise allows the prosecutors to associate various people and various acts, even lawful acts, even constitutionally protected acts, with a tempting to further that criminal enterprise. And so the allegation that this criminal enterprise exists is the fundamental core of this indictment. Now you read the indictment and it's you know, it's laughable. They're making these claims that, you know, if it weren't so serious, if this weren't so serious, we'd all be rolling on the floor. The idea that mutual aid is sinister. It really to me when I read this indictment, I thought, wow, this is just fascinating, because what's happening here is that Georgia is saying the quiet part out loud. We all know state repression is real. We all know that the American legal system functions to repressed assent, to impose prior restraints on first amend and protected behavior, to chill speech, to frighten people into submission. Right, we understand that it is this coercive system, but there is at least a sort of set of rules that purport to prioritize fairness, that purport to value concepts of due process, and the Rico Statute, and in particular, the Reco Statute as it is being used here, really functions so explicitly to circumvent those rules that we can that they're just they're not even trying anymore. They're not even trying to pretend that they care about individual probable cause, about the First Amendment, and I would say, most frighteningly about the sixth Amendment, which is the right to counsel, because they have gone way beyond the pale in alleging that things like accessing legal help, or accessing bail, or having legal observers or you know, providing anti repression trainings are in some manner sinister acts in furtherance of the conspiracy. And I am really I don't know what will happen here. I really can't begin to guess, because I feel like it is no longer possible for me to be surprised by the nonsense that is coming out of this jurisdiction. I don't know what will happen, but I am very, very curious to see how the bench, how the judges in Georgia respond to these allegations that involve making it part of a criminal conspiracy to prove legal assistance. You know, this is to me like one of the most concerning aspects of this of this indictment, because as absurd as it is, this could have very serious consequences.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean, that's something people have been talking about with Atlanta for a while now. Is that because of how many you know, criminal cases there is around the top top city of like movement, whatever kind of the result of those cases is going to be is going to set a very influential precedent for future for future kind of eco defense campaigns, future like any anything relating to like like civil rights, you know, uh, police abolition, or even even even things it's like benign is like police reform, like any any kind of like any kind of like grassroots activist, whatever kind of movement that's going to happen in the future is going to be affected by how these cases go. Because not only is you know, as as you mentioned, the you know, Act to Bail Fund being being in like access to to to lawyers and so and legal support is being used in these reco charges, they were also alleging that by having a you know, a bail fund number on your arm, that was like, you know, that was evidence that that that's that this person intended to do crimes. And then you know, as as evident in support of these domestic terrorism charges, which is you know, an extremely dangerously legal claim to to to be to be talking about. And we've been dealing with that in Atlanta for months now, and it's you know, it's created this really chilling effect on the ground that you know, you can you can be you know, doing something as simple as marching in the street and now have not only to like terrorism charges, having reco charges for stuff that is very clearly like First Amendment activity.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it is really fascinating to me that the law enforcement apparatus in Georgia is basically engaging and really concerted state repression against this movement, which is highly visible and highly legible as state repression. And then when people respond appropriately by anticipating that they may be subject to state repression by writing the jail support number on their arm, not because they believe that they intend to go out and do crimes, but because they know that unremarkable acts of First Amendment protected conduct may result in intense state repression. The law enforcement apparatus then responds by rationalizing their repression further. I mean, it's just we can see the sort of post hoc fallacy at work in real time. It's not clear to me how much of the hypocrisy is self aware. Sure, you know who else doesn't talk to cops?
Speaker 5: Product? I cannot guarantee that.
Speaker 14: I'm not sure these companies have the same.
Speaker 5: Standards that you and I have.
Speaker 4: They don't have shared values.
Speaker 5: In terms of our willingness to to to talk with the police.
Speaker 4: But they probably has good defense lawyers.
Speaker 14: Oh yes, all of all of these products and services that support this podcast definitely do have good defense lawyers.
Speaker 12: That is true.
Speaker 14: So listen, listen to their important messages.
Speaker 4: There is actually a part of this indictment that I think deserves some very serious attention.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Absolutely So.
Speaker 4: Typically when we're thinking about RICO, we're thinking about like white collar crime, and we're thinking about the use of GO to target groups that are doing unlawful things in order to profit. This indictment seems to allege that stop Coop City activists are raising money to do crime, which is sort of the opposite right, and as as we said, the crime that they're alleging, by and large is really petty. And there does seem to be one major act of violence that is alleged in this indictment, and I think we need to talk about it for a second because that one alleged act of violence involves the claim that Manuel torteguita Tehran who was murdered by police, was firing upon officers, and that is an incredibly central claim in this indictment. That really is I think the hook on which they're hanging a lot of the seriousness of the allegations, and it is an incredibly disingenuous claim and it's an incredibly dangerous claim. The evidence that they're using to support that claim is the statement of a third party who was not present. It's a regrettable statement that they've dug up from some group balance you know, you know, thousands of miles away from the Atlanta Forest and there's no reason to credit that statement, but they are using it to support this claim. That is, as I said, it's it's critical to their argument, and it is extremely disingenuous and it's extremely dangerous for for the office of a prosecutor which you know, for what it's worth, is supposed to pursue justice and not convictions. It is just intolerable to me that that somebody thought this was an acceptable thing to put into a legal document.
Speaker 5: And like you you were talking about how you know, they're using statements from the scenes dot no Block subsite, which anyone can submit to. There's no barrier of evidence for submitting to. And one interesting aspect that I didn't want to mention is that for many of the kind of the little like you know, accounts that they that they have in their indictment, it's it's just referencing people, you know, claiming that they did crimes on on on this website. But they're they're attributing the the either like co authorship of these claims to the people at the Solidary count, which they've laid out no evidence in supporting that. That's it's it's one of the more bizarre aspects of this indictment because they make every they claim that every single post on scenes is somehow the solid Different people are in part responsible for it, which is absolutely absurd that there's there's They've they've produced nothing, no piece of evidence in support of this claim. But that is one of the core parts of their indictment because much much of what they're filling this indictment with, you know, they're talking about how there's people do you know, doing crimes in San Francisco, in in Portland, in like Minneapolis, like all across like in New York, all across the country. Right, this is part of like the criminal conspiracy angle, which were very clearly from my perspective, this is, you know, people all across the country who care about a cause, and so they're doing something in their own city. It's there's there's no there's no conspiracy to it. It's it's people taking their own individual action. But they're they're trying, they're trying to tie this into the solidarity fund in a very bizarre way. You know, I'll be.
Speaker 14: Curious to see if they ever try to produce evidence to support that claim in court. But it's it's it's so laughable on the face. So you're like, how can how can three people with with a bail fund be be connected to these direct actions happening all across the country.
Speaker 4: Well, that's not literally what they're claiming, though, right, And I think this is this is where we see this difference of perspective mattering a lot. The kind of distributed network of autonomous solidarity that exists in this instance is something that is totally foreign two people who are very used to having hierarchy in their lives. And you know, I think i've I've talked about this before, I think on this show about the fact that when the far right organizes, they organize in ways that are familiar to police and prosecutors. Right. They organize in these very martial, hierarchical ways where there's a clear chain of command. Now, often their chain of command is very still and involves people having titles like dragons and wizards. But it's legible, right, It's legible to law enforcement. They understand there's someone in charge, and there's someone who answers to the person in charge. Having a situation where we have a website that is unmoderated, hosted by or supported by some group and totally open is something that I think, you know, police and prosecutors might have a little bit of difficulty understanding, right, because it's inconceivable to them that there is not a hierarchy, that there's not a chain of command. It's like, you know, I've actually had to drop footnotes in federal court filings to explain to judges and to explain to opposing counsel that Antifa is like a set of practices and not a membership organization. Yes, right, and that trying to trying to address Antifa as though it were an organization is similar to trying to address the world of Batman fans, right, Like these are all people who might self identify in some way, but you couldn't really identify them as a group, and they don't know each other and they're not so identifying in any way for each other.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 14: Well, and as that relates to the no Blogs website, like it's they have they have not laid out any evidence of who is running this website at like who who is who's operating it, who's hosting the servers, none of that. None of that information is included in the indictment. So the fact that they're trying to tie this to Solidarity Fund in some ways is very is very bizarre, just because there was like a link on this website to donate to the Solidarity Fund, but any anyone could put a link there like that's like I've put links to the Solidarity Fund in the show notes of this podcast, right, I'm I'm not I'm not connected to them in any in any other way. So just just having having that be this this kind of aspect and even even if somehow Solidarity Fund were running running running this whole website, which there's no evidence they are, this feels like would also relate to like a section two thirty case where people who host content are not responsible for the actual like like they're they're not like the I'm not a super big lob person, but this usually applies to like social media sites and other places that host user generated content, that the actual site itself is not responsible for the user generated content that is that is that is on this site. So it's anyway, there's a whole bunch of you know, various various aspects of this claim that don't don't make any sense to me. But it's verically that they're trying to wrap all of these no blogs posts in because that's the most that's most like the evidence they have, which is extremely weak, you know, it's it's it's in some ways a good sign that all they have are these anonymous posts on this website with no actual you know, idea of who made them or if they're true or not. But that's the kind of that's the that's a lot of a lot of what a lot of what they are going off or are just these website posts which well, a lot of these things.
Speaker 4: I don't even know if they could make them admissible or under what theory, because you know, we don't. I don't know how they would attribute them, right, I mean, look their public statements. I suppose they can bring them in just as public statements that have been made. But the indictment is a mess, and it is full of baffling claims and unsupported claims and claims that are demonstrably untrue. And nevertheless, I am concerned that they may get some I don't know. I don't practice in that jurisdiction. I'm not familiar. You know, I've never defended a RICO case. Just to be clear, you know, my my wheelhouse is state repression. This is clearly that. But I'm not tremendously familiar with litigating rico, and I'm not you know, I would like to have some faith in the legal system, but that faith has been worn rather thin, and it has particularly been worn thin after watching you know, all of the abuses that have taken place in this particular case. So, you know, I am really concerned. I'm really concerned about the constitutionality of this statute and of the domestic Terrorism Statute. I am concerned about what will happen in the courts if this proceeds. That said, it is entirely possible that this is like many many criminal cases that are brought in the context of protest movements. It is entirely possible that the primary thing motivating these cases is an effort to fractionate and drain and distract and criminalize, in the popular imagination, the movement to stop cop City. They may be more interested in doing those things than they are in obtaining any convictions or proceeding to trial, and they may well succeed. You know, Look, prosecution is a very very effective way to to undermine movement solidarity, and it's a very effective way to undermine popular support, and it's a very effective way to make it impossible for people to actually focus on their movement goals because they have to spend all of their time doing court support and hiring lawyers and talking to me.
Speaker 5: Right, And.
Speaker 4: When you're talking to me, you're probably not doing a lot of public education or signature gathering or forest defense. Right, So, you know, I guess what I would say is like, this is a very clear example of state repression. It is extremely disruptive. I'm sure that the people who are included on this indictment have good reason to be quite anxious. But that said, as I frequently remind people, state repression is not new. It exists all of the time, whether or not we can see it. Right, even if we didn't have this indictment, there would be other things happening. And the most powerful weapon that the state has to quell social movements is fear. And so the solution to state repression is not self censorship. It is not staying home. It is courage.
Speaker 14: I think that's one of the more you know, interesting things about what's been happening in Atlanta the past two years is that every time the state has kind of unveiled a new suppression tactic, right, it's whether it's like you know, increased raids and domesti terrorism charges, you know, all of this, the Solidarity fund raid, you know, trying to compromise people's ability to access bail funds. Every time there's been this this kind of new attempt. It has not caused people to back down. It's caused them to actually like strengthen their solidarity with each other and keep on and keep on going. I think that's because all of these things have been seen from the start as very clear tactics of state repression. It is actually like catalyze people to actually like care for each other more and and and and recognize what is going on so they can respond appropriately and and and not let all of these all of these very like chilling tactics, but consciously make sure that you recognize that so that you don't let it really like you know, affect your ability to continue continue doing the work that you feel is so important. And that's absolutely been one of the things that's been very unique to watch in Atlanta. I think, uh, I think we've kind of covered lots of lots of what I wanted to get into. In case you have any other kind of things of note or any like any like a resources you want to you want.
Speaker 5: To point people towards.
Speaker 14: I think I think we'll be kind of close to wrapping up here.
Speaker 4: I do not do social media, so I have nothing to plug. I think the best resources that are out there are The Center for Constitutional Rights has uh zine called if an Agent knox YEP and the Electronic Frontier Foundation has a website called Surveillance Self Defense. And I would recommend everyone familiarize themselves with both of those things, and for the love of God, encrypt your phone and use signal.
Speaker 5: Yes, absolutely, I love the things about that indictment that was so.
Speaker 4: That just made me roll my eyes until they popped out the back of my head. Was this casting of the use of encrypted technology as being extremely sinister, and I thought, my god. You know, privacy is good actually, and.
Speaker 12: It's literally in the Constitution like it is in fact the case that the government is not entitled to all information about us, which is why we have curtains and doors.
Speaker 14: Yes, no, there's certainly many many funny aspects of the Reco case. Hopefully, you know, people, this will all, you know, turn out to be not very legally viable and in ten years we can just laugh about it. But I mean, you know, it's people have been talking about, you know, the increased possibility for these types of grand juries. You know this this was a grand jury in the case of these Reco indictments, where they used Special Agent Ryan Long of the GBI is their only witness.
Speaker 4: I was noticing this. I thought, my god, you only had one witness for all of these allegations. Well, no, wonder your indictment reads like it was. All right, Yes, I'm gonna stop talking shit about their indictment.
Speaker 14: While recognizing this is state oppression, there's still like, you know, an ongoing fear of grand juries and like further indicts in Atlanta, because you have to this is very like life and death work, and this is a very life and death situation, so you know, very there's very very clear uh practices like like using signal and shutting the fuck up, which are very important when you know when you're when you when you're doing this sort of thing. One other thing is that, uh, for for a while after the Solidarity Fund was rated, they were not you know, taking in donations. They they were outsourcing it to the net, to the National Bill Fund. I believe they are they are back this. The Solidarity Fund website is now once again taking taking donations to help people who are facing this repression, for legal support, for counsel, all all these sorts of things. And because this case just keeps on growing, you know, they're they're always kind of needing, needing, needing more resources to get people lawyers, to get people out of jail, all of these sorts of things. So you can you can once again donate at the at the at L solidarity site. So that is that is also kind of new news as of as of the past few, uh few weeks. Thank you mom for talking about this. Uh, this is very enlightening.
Speaker 4: It's my pleasure. And I guess the last thing I'll say is I do as always want to remind all of your listeners that there is never ever a compelling reason to speak to police or answer their questions before you talk to a lawyer. And so if please start asking you questions, the one and only thing you need to say is I am going to remain silent and I want to speak with my attorney. And if they knock on your door or call you on the phone, you can say I am represented by counsel. Please leave your name and number and my lawyer will call you.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 14: You can print up the little sheet that tells you what to say, put it, put it next to your or join the join the number of punk houses that have that have the.
Speaker 5: Sheet next to their next to their front door.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 14: Absolutely, well again, thank you Byra, Thank you for listening for everybody.
Speaker 5: Uh yeah, do not do not talk to cops.
Speaker 1: Hey, We'll be back Monday with more episodes every week from now until the heat death of the universe.
Speaker 6: It Could Happen Here as a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool zonemedia dot com or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can find sources for It Could Happen Here, updated monthly at cool zonemedia dot com slash sources. Thanks for listening.