Speaker 1: The following He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This is Girls Talk Boys Talk, presented by Jigsaw Dating, preferred dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys and broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World Headquarters at the Star. Now your hosts, Christy Scales, Aisha Morrison, Nicole Hutcheson, and Jess.
Speaker 4: Navares Cowboys Nation, Welcome into Girls Talk Boys Talk presented by Jig Saw, the third dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys. Right here back in the SBC studio, I'm nicollected alongside Aisha Morrison, Jess Navares and Christy Scales.
Speaker 5: Ladies, we back in the studio.
Speaker 6: Feel I missed you, guys, Like it's so weird to see you in person.
Speaker 5: I know I can like feeling you right here now.
Speaker 7: It's the longest that we've been Usually when we go to training camp it's like twenty five or twenty six days, but literally a month later on July twenty third, and coming back August twenty second, So I'm glad we were all able to do it together. But now that we're all in the same room, I think it feels good.
Speaker 4: For sure, it feels good that, you know, we finally get eighty eight back too. Yes, a month holdout will technically like a couple of months hold out. Yeah, we're not talking about anymore because he's back. Yeah, the Cowboys get the deal done. Thirty four million dollars per year or four years, it'll be one hundred and sixty four one hundred and six thirty six million excuse me, and one hundred million guaranteed. That's a wide receiver record, second highest paid on QB in NFL history. Ladies, just what does this mean for this team?
Speaker 8: Now that they have their star war receiver.
Speaker 9: Back, they can get a real look at what the offense is gonna look like, get him acclimated again. It sounds like he's been keeping up with things like via an I or whatever the case may be, but nothing can replicate him being on the field. So they'll just start and get in a feel again and let him get his legs under him and let's go play football.
Speaker 6: At this point, well, as much as you wanted to see him at camp, right, that was kind of the ideal situation. Obviously, that time came and went. But now this gives him time to ramp up ahead of Week one when it really matters, and it gives you an opportunity to not have to rush him back in.
Speaker 5: And you know, Mike.
Speaker 6: McCarthy is really, really known for this ramp up phase, and so I'm excited to see him ramp up.
Speaker 5: Also a very.
Speaker 6: Player friendly deal in my opinion, because Ceedee Lamb by the end of this four year extension fifth year option included will be twenty nine or thirty depending at the end of the four or five years there. So what that tells me is if he keeps up his productivity, the consistency in his play as well throughout these next four possibly five years, you could see another deal done for Ceedee Lamb. And at that point you're looking way ahead in the future. Who knows what the wide receiver could be reset at at that point too, So very player friendly for CD Lamb, who could potentially get another deal looking way way ahead. I'm just saying, if you're thinking ahead in that term, very happy for.
Speaker 10: Him, very excited.
Speaker 7: Yeah, absolutely, because the new broadcast contracts will be done by then. We'll probably have an eighteen game season regular season by then, and so the salary cap took a huge leap from last year to this year. But yeah, by the time these newly signed guys get done with their next contract. You know, the thing is when you look at salaries and how things are spaced out and the guaranteed money and all that look year to year, at what percentage of the salary cap they are for the entire team, And so like three percent or five percent of a cap would be quite a bit nine.
Speaker 10: Percent think of that.
Speaker 7: Well, if the cap goes from two hundred and thirty to two hundred and eighty million, think of how much more that is as a percentage. So yeah, but great for CD and and I like what you said about McCarthy and the ramp up, And one of the things that Mike McCarthy said yesterday talking to the media was, you know, it's it's one thing to be in great shape, but some things you just can't replicate until it's football until and he doesn't mean taking hits in practice, but even just you know, splits and things like that and contested catches and other things.
Speaker 10: So yeah, but the in.
Speaker 7: Thirty plus years to see in this it's amazing how many of these deals get done at the end of camp when the guys don't have to come to camp.
Speaker 6: So it's amazing how it happens right before they're coming back to the.
Speaker 11: Start for a Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: No, we'll hopefully get a chance to see I'll see today. I know Miche McCarthy mentioned yesterday that he should be back in the building today, So that'll be around six o'clock for practice, So get a chance to see him then. But no, we've got other news now, ladies. The Cowboys brought in Dalvin Cook.
Speaker 6: Can affirm we saw him, can confirm? I made sure with Nicoles, like am I seeing things?
Speaker 11: Yes?
Speaker 5: Is that in fact Dalvin it was? He is still in.
Speaker 4: The building And just talking about Dalvin Cook, that possibility of the Cowboys bringing him in. I know we heard some news about, you know, possibility this offseason, but just to see it could.
Speaker 10: Be a real possibility.
Speaker 4: What does that do for the running back room? And realistically do you how do you see him fail?
Speaker 10: Start with you?
Speaker 6: Just yeah, So when you think of a guy like Dalvin Cook, I mean something interesting too when studying him earlier. He played under Zimmer before for the Vikings between twenty seventeen twenty twenty two. Out of the last four to five years he made the Pro Bowl over one thousand yards between twenty nineteen twenty twenty two.
Speaker 5: I mean, you're talking about.
Speaker 6: A guy that can produce period at the end of the day, forty seven rushing touchdowns.
Speaker 5: That's fourth in Viking's history.
Speaker 6: Coming off of a shoulder injury that he was kind of rehabbing through last year kind of slowed him down a little bit, but not by much. The thing about Delvin that I noticed is he's a red zone lock. So you're talking about struggling in the red zone. This is a guy that's going to get you into the end zone from the red zone, no doubts about it. Which is interesting because when we were talking in terms of Zeke returning, that's something we said about him as well. So I think, you know, if you're talking about who's in competition necessarily for that red zone lock kind of position, it's Zeke.
Speaker 11: You're looking at.
Speaker 6: You're not necessarily looking at a Rico Dudele, because that's it's not saying it's not a strong suit of his. It's just not as as I should say, his bread and butter to be rushing into the in the red zone.
Speaker 5: So I'm looking at how this.
Speaker 11: Impacts Zeke more than anything else, and kind of how much.
Speaker 6: It would take away from his workload if this becomes, you know, an opportunity the Cowboys take advantage of.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So, But just to clarify, you're saying his workload moving forward, not in terms of being being on the team right first.
Speaker 5: Yes, nothing has happened.
Speaker 6: Not getting anybody excited here, I'm saying, if it happens, I'm looking at how this impacts.
Speaker 8: Zeke more than anybody else.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I think the timing is interesting because what happens a lot, and this isn't exclusive to Dalvin Cook. This isn't a prediction based on him and fitting in the running back room right now. But I just think people should be aware of something that happens when you bring in veterans this time of year and talk to them about joining the team. If you are a vested veteran like Dalvin, meaning that you have four or more years of service time in the NFL, if you are on the roster for week one, your base salary is guaranteed for the entire year. So what will happen oftentimes is these veteran free agents that are available or that have been on the street, not with a team or ones that get cut from another team. Today is roster cut downs. We'll talk more about that. But these guys with four more years experience that are out there, you may want them, but sometimes teams will wait until after week one because if you sign them after week one, you don't have to guarantee that base salary for the entire season.
Speaker 10: The other thing.
Speaker 7: That's different is these vested veterans for more years experience, now you can have them on the practice squad. That's something that's taken place in the last few years since COVID and expanding the practice squad, and so the practice squad prior to that, it was for developing young guys. If you had a certain amount of games that you had played in the NFL or a certain amount of years, you weren't eligible for it. Now you can take these veteran guys, proven guys and keep them on the practice squad. And with that, that's a week to week paycheck and you're not having to make a salary commitment as if you were to sign them right now before or any time before the He's an opener.
Speaker 8: Thank you for that, Christy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's yeah, they're they're they're machinations. Uh to this, you know machinations You like that? No, I mean it's if one part of the domino falls. The other thing is if you bring in like a Dalvin Cook and that takes one of your spots with the running backs.
Speaker 10: This is this is an important thing too. A young guy like.
Speaker 7: Deuce for example, that has less than four years experience one of the things that you need to look for with these roster cuts. You're going to see two different words. You're going to see released and you're going to see waved. Wave means they are on waiver. So someone like Deuce, because he has less than four years experience, he doesn't get to decide what happens to him. He's on the waiver wire and other teams.
Speaker 10: Can claim him.
Speaker 7: He and if you're a veteran free agent for a more year's experience, then you decide, you know, other teams don't claim you, you can sign with whomever. So it's a risk if you sign, for example, a Dalvin Cook or any veteran at one position group and you waive a younger guy and.
Speaker 10: Hope that you get them back on the practice squad.
Speaker 7: If you wave them, any team can claimant, and what usually happens is more than one team will place a waiver claim.
Speaker 10: Well who do they go to?
Speaker 7: Then, well, it's like the draft, the teams with the worst record, it's in the order.
Speaker 10: It's in the draft order basically. So if you get waived in Kansas City claims you, and let's see who else a.
Speaker 7: Team the Giants claim you, then you would go to the Giants because they had a worse record. So you're not in control of your own destiny as opposed to being a vested veteran like Dalvin Cook.
Speaker 4: Do you think this is an experiment thing like you mentioned, Do you feel like they'd bring them in, bring Dalvin Cook or maybe sign them before week one?
Speaker 5: Or do you think this is they could?
Speaker 7: They could, but I'm just saying that and this is an exclusive to Dalvin Cook because you're gonna you're gonna hear other names and and uh, and the roster is not done in the next two days with cutting down to fifty three and then signing sixteen back.
Speaker 10: To the practice squad.
Speaker 7: You're not clear this there's gonna be move maneuvering happening between now and not even week one, but after week one because once that first game is done, that's when you're gonna maybe sign some veteran guys because you're not having to guarantee their salary.
Speaker 9: Well, yeah, I mean the him coming in tells me two things. It tells me that, especially with the timing. I think if what Christy was talking about factors in as well. But I think they looked at these preseason games and realized maybe this ain't enough.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and you there was no.
Speaker 9: Conclusiveness to any of these runners really personally, if you really want to be honest, the best runner that I've seen the whole time out of these games, it's been fine. And so coming out of the preseason.
Speaker 4: Aside from Rico, like the first aside from and Rico didn't play the lasts because they.
Speaker 5: Sure I just wanted to.
Speaker 9: Yeah, no, absolutely, but no, it tells me that they're unsure and and the crappy part about it is just the fact that they knew this before though, like I understand they, I guess they wanted to try some of these guys out and give them the opportunity to show what they were capable of. And that's fine, But now you're in a position to where you're kicking the tires on someone like Dalvin Cook that is, to your point, brings a lot of what Zeke brings.
Speaker 8: Lacks that explosiveness that he used to have.
Speaker 9: He has some cut back ability still, but he doesn't have the breakaway.
Speaker 8: Speed that he had before. And then you talk about the shoulder.
Speaker 9: This is a guy that used to dip his shoulder as Dodovan Wilson, they used to have their run ins when he was with the Vikings. This is a guy that used to dip his shoulder on the field. Is he gonna still with that physicality?
Speaker 8: You're getting a guy that.
Speaker 9: Is It's it's crazy to see, but when running back, it can happen so quick.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's one.
Speaker 9: Injury, it's it's it's two injuries.
Speaker 8: And then they're not the same guy.
Speaker 9: And so now the Cowboys in a position to where they're trying to check out, you know, Dalvin Cook, and it's like, well, maybe you should have did that two years ago, and now we're you're waiting for the waiver line and things. I believe that they're still probably shopping.
Speaker 8: I believe they're probably.
Speaker 9: Still looking at it, and that that also them bringing him in lets me know that as well, and so I'm really hoping that they find something outside of like the few guys that they have here with the Rico and Zeke and those guys, because it looks like this offensive line could be pretty good this year and you want to reward them with the runner that's going to take advantage of them doing the right thing. So, uh, it's it's a weird situation to be in, especially since we're looking for this run game to take a step forward and not backwards this year.
Speaker 6: You should have a question do you feel like this is another OBJ situation kind of similar of you know, lighting fire under their butt to be like, hey.
Speaker 5: Look who we can bring in.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and we can do it now because guess what, you have the cap space to do it.
Speaker 5: Because you signed Ceedee Lambs.
Speaker 6: So it makes it a viable threat to say we can bring it in, show me what you have if you really want to spot on this roster. Do you feel like it's another OBJ kind of dangling over the running backs room head kind of situation?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm not gonna light my answer.
Speaker 9: I will say yes, But at the same time, I don't think so, because clearly people don't have to compete.
Speaker 8: In this running back room to be on the roster.
Speaker 4: All right, all right, Well, going back to what I should mention, Well, you're starting to see like the dominoes fall with the turning back room, right because the Cowboys have waved Nathaniel Pete, a rookie undrafter free agent from this season. So now I'm sure the other dominoes will fall as well if they decide to bring in another guy. But I've got to ask you all this, what does Dalvin Cook bring that zeke En Rico don't bring nothing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he's I think he's more similar to to them. Yeah so, and honestly, if it were if it were four years ago, and I'm not.
Speaker 9: Going to disrespect Rico, Rico brings more than him. I think Rico is the most versatile.
Speaker 6: I just think experience, Like, if you really want to water it down to something an answer, experience.
Speaker 5: He has experience.
Speaker 11: And that's that's it.
Speaker 6: Like you're pretty much just adding a plus one to what you already have in the room. And yeah, no insults reco at all, because he has the most juice in that running back room right now out of anybody that you've seen, which is why they made the decision to sit him in preseason so early they didn't need to see anything else from him.
Speaker 4: He's healthy and news breaking. Tom Pella Cerol, thank you for this. The Cowboys are finalizing a trade sending Peyton Hindershot to the Chiefs for a late round conditional pick. That's source h Dallas plan to cut hinders Oh that's yea.
Speaker 7: Hey, that's great because because he likely was was going to be yet so and by conditional pick, it's probably related to how much he plays for the Chiefs. So if you're a Cowboy fan, you hope that hinder Shot goes on to success and lots of plays with Kansas City because you would get a little bit.
Speaker 10: Better draft pick. But I'm glad for Peyton because.
Speaker 7: With those with those with those injuries, he just hasn't been I remember I think we talked about it going into last season and wasn't the one saying, oh, they're going to be able to use him. I remember Linda Wells telling me, oh, yeah, you know, split him out. We've got some things in mind for him. A lah, the way that they're going to use Blake Jarwin, and we just didn't get to see it. H And part of it was injury related with Peyton, and so in that system, I think he has a chance to do well.
Speaker 10: But good for him. At least you're you're getting something.
Speaker 7: But they're the tight end room with those young guys coming in and those honis that they have.
Speaker 10: You know, there's in the.
Speaker 5: Camp that they just have.
Speaker 6: Here's the thing about Peyton is I think for him as a player, he needed the fresh start turned the page. His confidence has been shaken, Like you can tell in his play injury or not.
Speaker 11: You say chicken shaken, Oh shaken.
Speaker 10: I thought it was something canned. Okay, all right, there we go.
Speaker 6: His confidence has not been as high as it once was, and I think that has been so noticeable, whether you've talked to him or not, just absolutely not the same in the last year.
Speaker 11: So for me, a guy like that.
Speaker 6: Who has the ability, has the potential, you need a new start because clearly what was going on here was not working for him in the terms of you have a very competitive tight end room and let's be honest, John Stevens Junior coming back pretty much just nailing coffin for Peyton Hendershot on the roster and last year had John Stevens junior not gotten injured.
Speaker 11: Agree it would have happened last year. Let's see what it is.
Speaker 6: And that's no shake on Peyton nothing, no.
Speaker 5: Ill will towards him at all.
Speaker 6: But I'm just saying this was a long time coming and he needs the fresh start.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and if we're gonna touch on, can we touch on the tight end?
Speaker 8: I mean, yeah, this.
Speaker 9: And Christie you can tell me, because Christiannicole, you ladies can tell.
Speaker 8: Me, because here's my thing. I think I had more expectations for the.
Speaker 9: Tight end room coming into this camp and coming into this thing.
Speaker 8: And don't get me wrong, I don't know.
Speaker 9: And I wanted to ask Mike McCarthy if I had a chance, Like I'm not sure how how featured were they in practice, because it felt like it was if it was Ferg out there, they were features. But if Ferg wasn't out there, then you weren't getting those some of those design plays for the tight ends, you know, some of the.
Speaker 8: Boots, the rollouts and stuff like that. Like I think we.
Speaker 9: Saw a little bit more in this preseason game. Or they're going down the seams, they're doing some boots to the outside, but it's.
Speaker 8: Like offensively again, you ladies were there.
Speaker 9: I didn't see the Titans be a focal point and that might be why I was underwhelmed by them.
Speaker 8: But Brevin span Ford come out of Minnesota.
Speaker 9: This is this big body guy, got some wig one the passing game, but is a dog as a blocker, like nasty blocker. I haven't seen that from him in his last three preseas and games.
Speaker 8: He might have had his best.
Speaker 9: Preseason game last game, which I do think he's improved. John Stevens Junior coming off ACL I want to be considered of that. Starting to get his legs under me at that fumble in the game, which I hated.
Speaker 11: But I've seen him improve as a blocker.
Speaker 9: There's been times on film I'm looking at him and I thought he was an offensive lineman with just how he's sustaining blocks and latching on the second level.
Speaker 8: So he's taking a tick upwards.
Speaker 9: And Schoolmaker still like, not it's not my thing. Is is like now where you need to have someone out there, another titand out there that really threatens a defense from a receiving aspect. And I was looking for because let's call it what it is. Schoolmaker hasn't solidified that spot.
Speaker 8: I don't believe he has, and that's just me. I think he's improved, but I don't think he solidified that spot.
Speaker 9: So you were kind of looking for a John Stevens junior, albeit coming off of injury, and are in a Brevin span Ford, like somebody step up take that spot, and I, from my point of view, I didn't see it from here in Dallas. So how did you ladies feel about it?
Speaker 8: Out in camp?
Speaker 7: I thought that Brevin span Ford and John Stevens Junior were going to be the ones that people.
Speaker 10: Were talking about at camp.
Speaker 7: And I thought in preseason that they were gonna have six catches each, you know, in preseason games and stuff, and that they would really show out. And it didn't happen. Doesn't mean they didn't have good camps. It didn't mean that they were featured in the passing game necessarily. And then the one person you didn't mention, Princeton Fant. Yeah, he's the one that when they're in twenty one, meaning like a fullback in f the tight ends will often line up in the backfield and then motion out or stay there and be a lead blocker. So we mentioned seeing a lot more twenty one where you have two running backs and just one tight end and it was Hunter Lipke first team and it was Princeton Fan second, so he was getting a lot of reps. So I agree with you in terms of we thought we'd hear or see more and Nicole, I mean I thought they'd be more.
Speaker 10: I thought people would be talking about it more than they did well, and.
Speaker 4: I thought that they were going to use Schoonmaker a lot more than they did. But I saw Peyton Hindershot getting a lot more and reps in the blocking game, a lot of the tight ends were getting a lot of rep so I think that may have been a focal point.
Speaker 8: That's what I would like to ask. That was a chance practice.
Speaker 5: Yea, exactly.
Speaker 9: So when when you guys get you get a chance. That's what I wanted to ask Mike McCarthy because I've been mentioned on the show that I thought, when you talk about the run game and the run game improving, the Titans didn't block.
Speaker 8: Well on the outside for you last year.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So I'm like, maybe to your point, mich McCarthy might be one of you ladies doing a solid No.
Speaker 11: No, that's definitely it's fair.
Speaker 6: But also you need the receiving threat as well. You do the point of having multiple tight ends, you know.
Speaker 4: But the question so many wide receivers that they were trying to get a look at, that's not that it's like you had to test those guys, Tyrone, Billy Johnson, who proper I was, Jalen Cropper, Jalen Brooks. I mean, yeah, like in fact that it is so deep to where it's like.
Speaker 6: But also how many of those reps as Hunter Lipkey going full back getting some work at tight end. Did that kind of change how things were kind of implemented too.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't know that it was so much so much that in terms of lip Key, but I think you're right about with the blocking and stuff. For example, the question about John Stevens, who played wide receiver and in college.
Speaker 10: You know, is getting him on the end of the line and blocking.
Speaker 7: So yeah, that's that's what they really needed to evaluate more with him.
Speaker 9: Come on, all.
Speaker 4: Right, we're going to talk some more football coming up.
Speaker 5: In his next.
Speaker 4: Break, we talk in roster cuts, the wins and losses so far through roster cut down day that is at four pm the deadline today. We'll be right back here on Girls, Dog Boys, talk presented by Jigsaw.
Speaker 5: The preferred dating part.
Speaker 4: Of the Dallas Cowboys will be right back.
Speaker 5: You didn't like my dramatic No, it's.
Speaker 13: The official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now. Cowboys fans could get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy wipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot com slash cow Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 2: We know that juicy, cheesy, grilled to perfection burger sounds amazing, but it does sound like something is missing.
Speaker 14: Pepsi baby, the yin to this Burger's yang. Burgers and pepsi go together like well, like burgers and pepsi. This perfect blending of flavors makes every bite of lettus, every sesame seed on the bun, and every sip of that crisp refreshing ice cold Coola, a journey to Foujopia burgers better with pepsi.
Speaker 8: That's what I like.
Speaker 12: At Jigsaw Dating, we obviously want the Cowboys to bring that sixth ring home, but to be honest, we're more focused on finding the person who will put a ring on your finger. That's why we created a dating app that reveals your face through meaningful conversation so you can date deeper, because it's personality that matters the most, not looks. Join Jigsaw Dating Today. Dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 15: The Dickey family always mandated that the only police style sausage worthy of their restaurant must have high quality course ground beef and port rich spices and fresh natural casings. We still serve it to this day and it's so popular.
Speaker 16: Dickey Sausage has been named the official sausage of the Dallas Cowboys. The perfect matchup on game day Dicky's Barbecue Pit.
Speaker 15: No One out smokes us. Order at Dicky's dot Com for groups called eight sixty six Barberque Lived on the Ribs.
Speaker 5: Football is back.
Speaker 6: Come watch your Dallas Cowboys practice during back to back nights if training camp presented by American Airlines at the start.
Speaker 5: In for Risco.
Speaker 6: Training Camp cakes off tonight with the Cowboys Night and concludes with the second night of open practice tomorrow.
Speaker 11: Training camp is free open to the public.
Speaker 6: Of course, you can visit Dallascowboys dot com slash Training Camp for more information.
Speaker 5: Yes, come head out.
Speaker 7: Yeah, six to seven o'clock and tomorrow, So Wednesday at five point forty is when they have the ceremony, so the cheerleaders will performed and you'll hear from Cherry Jones.
Speaker 4: So super dope.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, it's also dope. What is it?
Speaker 4: Well, it's not really dope technically, it's actually it's actually really sad.
Speaker 8: If you think about it.
Speaker 4: I mentioned four pm today, that's a correction. Three pm Central time, four pm Eastern time.
Speaker 8: My bad.
Speaker 4: That is the deadline for NFL teams to make finalizations to that fifty three man.
Speaker 8: So thirty minutes.
Speaker 5: That means pretty much, right.
Speaker 8: Off, they got a lot of work to do.
Speaker 7: Well, they're they know, they're just waiting until the end. And the other thing is the other thing is like the hindershot trade. That's one reason why you wait until you wait, you wait, you wait, you wait, because some of these players are going to be coveted by other teams, and so you wait and see if you can get a deal. So in the in previous days, you might have your final preseason game on a Thursday or Friday or Saturday, and even though the release date was three or four days away, you'd go ahead and release some of those guys so that they could hopefully get on with another team. Because if you think about it, thirty seven cowboys are going to be unemployed in thirty three minutes thirty seven because you go from ninety to fifty three, so thirty seven, and then you multiply that by thirty two teams, and you have over eleven hundred guys that are out there, and it's like a flood all at one time. It's like a fire hose of players that are available.
Speaker 10: It's only been the last.
Speaker 7: Few years where you just have the one cut down. You used to have your roster cut down from ninety to seven to sixty five to sixty and then fifty three, but then you'd only have like seven rookie undrafted guys to play that final preseason game.
Speaker 10: So they changed the rules so that.
Speaker 7: You'd have more guys to play that final game. And that's why they do it all at one big one at the end. But there are a deluge of guys that are going to be out there and then yeah.
Speaker 11: And then.
Speaker 5: With all of these words, there you.
Speaker 7: Go and then dayling off and then the other thing is signing, signing your practice squad players. So yeah, this is the busiest time of year for personnel departments.
Speaker 4: So far, they made eighteen cuts. That means nineteen more to go. Is my math right?
Speaker 10: Thirty seven?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 5: So okay, Yeah, that's.
Speaker 4: A lot of hes, a lot of humans. Let's start with the wide receiver room they have cut so far, Tyran, Billy Johnson or waved let me use wave sorry, Tyran, Billy Johnson, David Dirden, Deontay Burnett, who they brought in this offseason, well, training camp and the rookie camp. Johnson thoughts on those cuts for those surprises at all, any of those names.
Speaker 9: Billy Johnson, it kind of felt like a surprise, just because I think they've even liked him just being on the practice squad and stuff. But I had to realize, like this is a gentleman, that this isn't a two year, three year player that's been around for a while. Four years, right, So maybe it's the thinking is this is what it is, this is what it's going to be, that they don't want to take away the opportunity for practice squad for another younger player, maybe like a cropper or something.
Speaker 8: So I kind of get it.
Speaker 9: So, yeah, that's the only one that kind of shocked me. I mean the rest of them, like I understood.
Speaker 16: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And also he's put on really good He's had a good camp, he's put good tape on during the preseason game. So that way by waving him, like you said, Christy, somebody can pick him up potentially, you know, in those waivers.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and you can still resign him to the Yeah discussed man.
Speaker 6: He's also very highly sought out or I'm not sought out, talked about by Mike McCarthy. Mike has always referenced and they call him T Billy, So Mike always talks about T Billy always being impressive to him. So he's very well liked by the coaching stuff as well.
Speaker 11: So it was a little shocking. But like you said, I mean, this is a this is a very very competitive wide receiver.
Speaker 7: And to tell you what was telling was going into the final preseason game the starters you know aren't going to play, but then you have some key reserves. So, for example, Cavante Turpin officially isn't one of your starting eleven on offense, but he didn't play any preseason games because they didn't want to risk him to injury. And they know exactly what they have in Cavante.
Speaker 10: And plus you're going.
Speaker 7: To use them in some cool things this year, and you're not going to show any of that in preseason. All these cool things ways that you want to use them in the regular season. But that final preseason game when you have marist Leah Fowl not playing, Cooper Bebe not playing because you don't want to risk them, Tyler Goyton. But then Jalen Brooks didn't play, So we knew that Jalen Tolbert had pretty much wrapped up the number three spot on the depth chart with assuming CD's back, which he now is. But Jalen Brooks not playing means that he's in your top five, top six, top six And.
Speaker 10: You think, so I found that, I know, were you surprised or that.
Speaker 8: He didn't play?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 9: And I say that because I thought, you know, Jalen Brooks when he was drafted. I remember in the draft room like we were shocked, Like most of us didn't know much about him, which was a lesson learned. But yeah, this was a gentleman that was a gunner on special teams.
Speaker 8: That was his bread and butter.
Speaker 9: So when he came in I didn't expect to get much from him from a receiving aspect.
Speaker 8: He was the last pick in the draft.
Speaker 9: You know, it's just and so what he gave you last year, I mean he actually played in game live reps last.
Speaker 8: Year, saw him in games.
Speaker 9: We saw Dad go to him and be confident going to him, and so I was like, all right, well, coming into this season, let's see what he got. I thought that Jalen Brooks had a pretty good camp, but I then wanted to see more.
Speaker 8: Flanoy was definitely clear.
Speaker 9: And I have I will say that I believe that if Ryan Floranoy was not injured the whole camp, maybe Jalen Brooks would be out there playing and they would be flip flopped. I think that there's a because you're looking at what they both bring. They broth are kind of exes, right Christy, and that's something you're lacking right now with the loss of Michael Gallop. From what you've seen from Florinoy, it just looks a little sharper, just a little stronger, just a little and so but I know that Jalen Brooks also gives them value on special teams. So it's an it's an in and out thing. But I do think that Ryan Floorinoy, if he was healthy the majority of camp, there might be some conversations on about that top five spot when it comes to the wide receiver position.
Speaker 4: So would y'all keep just a question, how many would y'all keep on this roster?
Speaker 5: Six?
Speaker 8: I think you're gonna have. You have to run with six because of Turpin.
Speaker 9: Turpin is the thing that kind of complicates things because you gotta keep him because he's a returner and you know they are gonna use him to do some things. But if it was that, if he wasn't here, it would be those five guys.
Speaker 8: It would be solid. So I think you got to run with six.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 9: And also to just keep in mind that this is Brandon Cooks is fine now if I'm not mistaken. Didn't he get banged up a little bit?
Speaker 7: Yeah, this is the second kid he's had a little bit of a sore knee and so final camp that he's hurt his knee.
Speaker 9: Last year he hurt his knee at the start of the season, took him a while to get going.
Speaker 8: This is another year. I think that they have to be smart.
Speaker 9: About wide receiver depth at this point because it it's you know, some of these chentlemen a little bit older.
Speaker 8: And that's fine.
Speaker 6: Yeah, to your point about Flinoyd to He's somebody that caught my eye during OTA because he takes initiative to go ask questions after pretty much any snap he had. You'd see him run to Dak, run to Robert Prince and like ask a question. And it caught my eye because I'm like, who's this guy run?
Speaker 5: Like what's he doing? And so I.
Speaker 6: Purposely pulled him aside one day after practice and I said, like, are.
Speaker 5: You asking questions? You know, what are you doing?
Speaker 6: He's like, yeah, I asked questions after every snap I get so that way I can learn and get feedback. And then after practice, same thing goes to Robert Prince, goes to Dak, goes to Cooper Rush, like goes to all of the right guys to ask questions, goes to Jalen Tolbert. I mean, you're talking about a guy that's absorbing information constantly. I asked him, I said, what did Robert Prince tell you needed to work on today? And he tells me, he goes, well, coach pretty much told me that if I fix up my little things and I keep doing what I'm doing and refine everything, I could be a pro bowler.
Speaker 5: Is words out of his mouth.
Speaker 6: And I said, oh, okay, I love that, Like coming from Robert Prince to say that to your rookie player out there who's taking.
Speaker 11: Initiative to bust his butt to ask you those questions.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's that's that's not something that's that's found very often. He's coachable and he wants to be coached, and any guy like that, hell yeah, hell yeah, you want him on the roster. And that's no not to Jalen Brooks.
Speaker 5: I think Jalen Brooks is coachable too.
Speaker 6: But to your point, I usheel like a nice game, running around to ask questions and improving like he did from OTAs to preseason catches my itubes.
Speaker 4: Let's go and run through the other list of list of cuts real quick, and Eric Scott Darrell Johnson, Willie Harvey, not gonna lie a little talk there, Damien Wilson, Albert Huggins, Cole Cabral, Josh Dea, Barry, Alec Caller, Jason Johnson, Nathaniel Pete, Carl Lawson, Peyton you already said that, Uh and Josh Ball, any of those guys a big surprise for you.
Speaker 7: No, not really, although it's gonna be again. That's the initial ones. We've got some more.
Speaker 8: They'll come in.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but it was going to be kind of a between Josh Ball and Matt Will Let's go, Will, Let's go. You know, uh as plays tackle, played mostly right tackle during the preseason, and Josh Ball. Uh started off as a tackle but ended up having to play a lot of guard in preseason because of the injuries. But a lot of those names that you read off, Nicole are going to be back with the Cowboys as practice scribed as players.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 4: All right, well, ladies, we got one more segment coming up. We're talking about the Chargers loss. Just recap in a little bit of a big uh, the pros and cons from that game in the last preseason game of the preseason.
Speaker 5: We'll be right back.
Speaker 4: You're watching girls, talk Boys Talk. Was it about jig saw the for a dating part of the Dallas Cowboys, We'll bear back.
Speaker 15: The Dickey family always mandated that the only police style sausage worthy of their restaurant must have high quality course ground beef and port, rich spices and fresh natural casings. We still serve it to this day, and it's so popular.
Speaker 16: Dicky's Sausage has been named the official sausage of the Dallas Cowboys. The perfect matchup on game day Dickie's Barbecue Pit.
Speaker 15: No one out smokes us. Order at Dickie's dot com for groups called eight sixty six Barber cute lips on the ribs.
Speaker 2: We know that juicy, cheesy, grilled to perfection burger sounds amazing, but it does sound like something is missing.
Speaker 14: Pepsi, baby, the yin to this Burger's yang. Burgers and pepsi go together like well, like burgers and pepsi. This perfect blending of flavors makes every bite of lettuce, every sesame seed on the bun, and every sip of that crisp refreshing ice cold coola a journey to footopia.
Speaker 10: Burgers better with pepsi.
Speaker 12: That's what I like at Jigsaw Dating. We obviously want the Cowboys to bring that sixth ring home, but to be honest, we're more focused on finding the person who will put a ring on your finger. That's why we created a dating app that reveals your face through meani conversation so you can date deeply because it's personality that matters the most, not looks. Join Jigsaw Dating Today, dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 13: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right Now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order, plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 6: For the fourth season in a row, two of the country's premier high school football programs will kick off the season in the twenty twenty four Jerry Jones Classic presented by Waterburger.
Speaker 11: On Saturday, August thirty first, at.
Speaker 6: Two pm Central, the North Crawley Panthers and the Lancaster Tigers will clash for the first time in over twenty seasons under the lights of the Ford Center at the Star on Frisco. Tickets are on sale now at seageek dot com, starting at only fifteen dollars.
Speaker 9: I'm laughing because don't nobody from Dallas say Lanks.
Speaker 8: They're like that.
Speaker 10: Lancaster is no, no, no, no, Lancaster.
Speaker 5: That's fine. Different people say like that, But it was.
Speaker 9: Just because when you say I'm not from here, people in downasame Mexico.
Speaker 8: Leancaster.
Speaker 5: Lancaster. Sorry from Mexico.
Speaker 4: Probably right, you probably say it, right, my old cliff See probably saying say Lancaster.
Speaker 5: Okay, well right, but the Lancaster Tigers.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you some of my homie that went to LA they heard you say the comments coming out like she does know how to say Lank.
Speaker 7: All I can say is.
Speaker 11: You see how this is felt? Are you joking?
Speaker 10: Christy?
Speaker 7: Yes, You're just lucky that we don't have Maheya playing referrao.
Speaker 10: We would be here all day.
Speaker 5: No I wouldn't have said it. I'd be like, go google it if you want to know. I wouldn't have said it.
Speaker 4: All right, guys, Cowboys wrapped up the preseason with the loss to the Chargers, But that was not, obviously the biggest news. The biggest news was Doran Bland.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 8: Yeah, with a stress.
Speaker 4: Stress fracture in his foot. He'll be out for about six to eight weeks. I'll start with you, Christy, just what does that mean for this cornerback room.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, I had a chance to speak briefly with doron they were coming out for the start of the second half on Saturday night. And you know the fact that he was there, he wasn't in.
Speaker 10: A walking boot or anything like that.
Speaker 7: If you saw him, you would just think that he's like the other veterans that aren't starters, that aren't playing in the game.
Speaker 10: But you know, he said that he had.
Speaker 7: Known since Wednesday last Wednesday, you know, about the problem with his foot, and you know, I just asked how he's doing. He's like good, And I said, hey, they're saying six to eight weeks. I think that's I mean, is that kind of the timetable? You're here? And he says, that's what they're saying, but I plan to be back before that. You know, of course all players, that's the attitude that they have. But the person who is going to step in, unless there's some other roster kind of move that they make bringing in someone with more experience, is look for rookie Kaylen Carson from Wake Forest to step in. Yeah the seat, yeah that's right, seatbelt locking people in, click it. But he's one of the young guys like we mentioned earlier, to go, I'm ready to.
Speaker 5: Be so annoying my bag.
Speaker 6: I'll just say he's going.
Speaker 7: He's like Cooper Bebe and Mara and Tyler Guidon that were guys that and Jalen Brooks that didn't play in the preseason finale because they needed to, you know, keep them healthy and make sure they're okay. He also didn't play the second preseason game because of the wisdom too. So so Kayln Carson only has one preseason game under his belt at the NFL level and four weeks of training camp going into the season opener in Cleveland. Diff In fact, he is the one that is going to start in place of Deron Bland, and that's the if you're reading the tea leaves. That's the way it is now, unless there's some other kind of roster move.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the coaches are high on him, and absolutely.
Speaker 10: He had a very good camp, very good.
Speaker 9: He's yeah with respect, he's built for it.
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 8: He has a short term memory too.
Speaker 9: He can get his tail whooped and turn around, wipe his mouth and go about his business like he's he's a player, and I think he's gonna be fine. Now we'll say I did notice that Israel mccualmo is listed as a corner. Yes, he's been doing more things in the nickel Keimon Hall is another gentleman we talked about on this show that I think has a chance be given, especially right now, especially given what's going on right now. I think he has a chance with some of his nickel flecks. So them not going out is not freaking me out too much. I don't know how you feel, Christy.
Speaker 4: I don't know you.
Speaker 9: We don't want to run into what you were in like a couple of years ago, with no corner back depth. But I'm not terrified of Kayln Carson stepping in. I'm not personally feel what I've seen in a camp in practice, what about you, ladies.
Speaker 5: No, I'm excited.
Speaker 4: I mean, and you also heard him post game. He was asked about, you know, the possibility of having to step in for Doron, and he just seems so confident, right, But he's not like overly confident. He just knows what he can do. So I'm excited to see what he brings if he is the guy to step in.
Speaker 8: And you ladies think that Trayvon is straight out the gate.
Speaker 6: Here's what I wanted to say about that is I feel like Kaylan Carson has that confidence because I don't know about y'all, but I don't want to see a full force Trayvon Digs yet, like for sure he's into it.
Speaker 5: I don't look.
Speaker 6: I know that sounds crazy, like you want to win games and all that, But what I had the vibe and the feeling of was that Kaylen Carson was kind of gonna be the relief for Trayvon Diggs as he ramps up and continues to get to a full force point. So I feel like they're gonna utilize him anyways, but now he's gonna get kind of thrown into the fire like your time to shine now with drawn bland out. But personally, I don't want to see as much Trayvon Diggs as weish.
Speaker 10: I don't think you can do that.
Speaker 11: I don't think you have the love.
Speaker 8: You don't have the lovery to now.
Speaker 9: And honestly, the player that Trayvon is him and Kaylen Carson.
Speaker 8: They buy from the d m V.
Speaker 11: Yeah, those kids out there. You saying, I know what you're saying, to be safe, because you.
Speaker 5: Also don't have depth. That's my point too.
Speaker 11: He gets hurt, then what Yeah, it's and it's just not.
Speaker 5: You signed already. Ironically that day Gilmore is no longer an option.
Speaker 10: He's in Minnesota.
Speaker 6: So sorry, I'm just saying, you need to be careful with your player coming off of injury.
Speaker 5: You're star player was out all last year. You need to be careful with it.
Speaker 6: And whether that's a ramp up at practice or whatever, or you take your veteran rest days a little bit more, whatever the case is, I just don't want to see him practicing full force doing all of the Trayvon things right away, like especially while Dorn's out. You just cannot afford another injury in that position because then you're really screwed.
Speaker 4: So my question is to you do you start trayvont I'm just saying practice time too, and Mike does a really good job of delegating this.
Speaker 5: At practice veteran rest day. I want to see a veteran rest day.
Speaker 6: I don't want to see him like full force going at it week one.
Speaker 5: That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Well, that's what happened in practice though in training camp, yeah, it was a.
Speaker 6: Ramp extend that a little bit more too into the regular season.
Speaker 9: Hit my bed.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, no, no, I do.
Speaker 9: I do want to hear my eye on this week, specifically this linebacker room. Yes, because the hit pointer with de Marion Overshan it didn't feel concerning. It didn't feel Yeah, with the knee, it didn't feel concerning. But not seeing him at all has made me a little you know, like okay, what's going on here?
Speaker 8: Like what is this?
Speaker 9: And again, it's a deep it's a deep pelvic bruise. It probably sucks and it probably doesn't feel good to you know, especially the way that the Marion Overshewan plays. So it's probably just a thing that you have to rest.
Speaker 8: So I get it.
Speaker 9: But I do want to keep an eye on this linebacker corp. Even though Buddy Johnson seems like he could fit that fire, fit that that the Marion overshan brings an energy to your linebacker room. And if if the Marion overshown is maybe kind of worked back into things, I think Buddy is a good backup guy that could come in and kind of match that same energy as well. From what we've seen, just downhill, hair on fire, energy, energy, just strong tackler. He's really come along as this this last couple of games.
Speaker 8: It's hard not to notice him. So I me and you're talking about.
Speaker 7: Use, Well, yeah, yeah, I like him very much, and not just because he's a fellow Aggie. But I know I did talk to him after the game on Saturday. Nobody else was around his locker and just just talking to him. But no, I mean he and he's been through all this before. You know, he's he's been you know, like four different teams and getting a draft, you know, being drafted and then not sticking with that team more than a year and a half and having to move around. So he knows what this time of year is all about. But he also would be a core special teams player as well. Yeah, but I think I like what you're saying in regards to demarve On Overshown with the hip injury, is how long will it be? And do you have to make the decision of doing like you know, injured reserve designated to return. Is it going to be that kind of injury where you can so that you can you can have a spot and use it for a guy to get help get you through the first that week.
Speaker 8: And that's that's a conversation.
Speaker 7: That's a problem because a roster cuts.
Speaker 9: Right now exactly like where is he? And again, we haven't gotten that much information about the mon Clarks either the need that he's dealing with and this linebacker Cord. We've been excited about it going into this season and I would hate for it to become not a strength that we were looking at. So just keep an eye on it and hopefully we'll get some updates about it and practicing. You guys are gonna we're gonna get to see them and stuff. So okay, ladies, all.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, Cowboys night tonight at six o'clock. That's what time practice starts and ends at seven. Fans, it is free. Make sure to be out there tonight and tomorrow. We better see y'all.
Speaker 5: But that is it for today's episode.
Speaker 4: Girls Talk, Boys Talk, presented by Jig Saw, the third dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys. We'll see y'll back here on Thursday.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.