Speaker 1: So what do you remember most about nineteen eighty.
Speaker 2: Six being two years old?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: Huh, what do you remember most about eighty six? Walk me through your experience in the middle eighties.
Speaker 2: In the yeah, the mid eighties.
Speaker 1: You were born in eighty four.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, sorry old.
Speaker 1: I just got so old, instantly got so old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't. I mean I think I was. I don't really were walking walk in. I'm sure as jam in, learning the little bit of dance here and there too.
Speaker 1: You were dancing already at two.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 4: I've always loved music, so I've always not been able to help myself, but like Baptist songs, and you know.
Speaker 2: I just was always really like I gravitated towards it a lot.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what do you remember about eighty six?
Speaker 1: I was ten years old in eighty six. I remember a lot. I was.
Speaker 3: Uh, that's when I started professionally acting. I was in my first stage play and with Mary McDonald and David Suthen in nineteen eighty six at.
Speaker 1: A Dollar's House.
Speaker 3: Oh that's where you know. My career started in eighty six. So eighty six was a big year for me. I think by ten I was I had my first little dirt bike motorcycle. So I started riding around the streets and my dirt bike and it was a laser tag was big.
Speaker 2: Wait did you wear safety gear?
Speaker 1: Of course? Oh yeah, yeah, oh you did.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: If my parents are attorneys, they weren't going to let me anywhere unless I was covered head to toe.
Speaker 4: I always just think about now, even just we're getting you know, Monroe her first tricycle or whatever, bicycle and scooter and stuff, and you go on Amazon, the only place to get stuff like that anymore this point, and there's a whole package.
Speaker 2: You don't just get a helmet.
Speaker 4: It's risk guards, elbow guard's, knee pads. I'm basically putting it out there.
Speaker 2: In a bubble wrap.
Speaker 4: And it's like, I can't imagine that's how it was back in the day. I don't remember having all of that when I was rollerblading for the first time or bicycling regular bicycle.
Speaker 3: The idea of wearing a helmet in the eighties when you just were on your bike was insane. You'd fall, you'd hit your head, you'd forget that day and you'd start again the next day.
Speaker 1: That's that's what happened. It's better Now with.
Speaker 2: That say yes, absolutely, absolutely.
Speaker 3: Oh, welcome back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pjs, and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses were smart, the waves, Tsunamis and the high School's musical.
Speaker 1: I'm Wilford Del.
Speaker 2: And I'm Sabrina Bryan, and we are talking.
Speaker 3: About nineteen eighty six for a very good reason. It's because it's time to wrangle the kids and save the orphanage. Because this week we're traveling back to that wonderful year of nineteen eighty six with the Wonderful World of Disney movie The Leftovers. Now, it's a film from Disney's past that has been completely and totally destroyed in Google searches by the much more recent HBO show from Damon Lindelof. It originally aired on Sunday Night on ABC, and it would eventually replay ten times on the Disney Channel in nineteen ninety, which gave it a bit of a second life. It debuted on November sixteenth, nineteen eighty six, and to get ahead of ourselves a little bit here, it stars singer, songwriter and superstar of the time, John Denver, who is one of the best selling artists of the seventies. He sold over thirty three million records Wow and Yeah. And he started his acting during the explosion of his career, breaking out in the nineteen seventy seven movie Blockbuster Movie, great film, George Burns' comedy Oh God, which then had a great sequel, Oh God, You Devil. But then he took almost ten years off from TV and movies, and it was actually this movie, The Leftovers, that brought him back to acting. And not only did it mark the return of the musical phenomenon, it was early in the careers of so many actors.
Speaker 4: This was so Probably my favorite part of the movie is the first time so many of these very young actors that I had never seen, yeah, acting that young before. You know, at that age again, I was young, really young. This I mean was like ah, I mean, they just kept at the first like ten minutes of the movie, they just kept popping up.
Speaker 2: In your face and you're like, wait, what, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: You know, there is almost no one in this movie that I don't recognize, from from the bit players to the bigger I mean, it's like one person after another. Yeah, became bigger actors. Character actors went on to star on TV. It is a stacked cast and we will get into that before we do. Though, you can watch the leftovers for the Freeze.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 3: It costs you no money on YouTube, which is on the computer machine, so you can go watch it now if you like or don't.
Speaker 1: You can only lead a horse to water.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 4: One tidbit though, it the one you want to download from YouTube is the picture with with John Denver, because otherwise when I.
Speaker 2: First started going, it was part one, ten minutes Part two.
Speaker 1: I oh, you had one of the broken up ones.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I couldn't.
Speaker 4: And then I realized, oh wait, and I found another one, and that's a full.
Speaker 1: Nice, very the whole movie. It looks great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's actually a John Denver fan page that posted that posted the full movie.
Speaker 2: That's why I didn't think it was an actual movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought it was.
Speaker 4: I thought it was going to be a montage of all their favorite greats and hits and all that Johnny.
Speaker 2: So that's a good tipic.
Speaker 4: Guys, go to the one where it's a nice little album looking picture of him, and that is a full movie for you.
Speaker 1: That is from beginning to end.
Speaker 3: Now, one thing I want to talk about right at the beginning here is because you played a very famous foster child in Cheetah Girls. I mean, so another Disney famous, kind of not really famous trope. But I mean a lot of kids movies deal with orphanages or with foster children. So I mean, did you know anything about the leftovers when you film Cheatah Girls? Was this like, I'm going to go watch that movie, now get in character for the Cheater Girls.
Speaker 4: Well, as a matter of fact, I kept finding myself just because we didn't dive in much after the first movie of being a foster child. That was kind of the big chunk that you got within the three movies. But what it all sets up is kind of more what I feel most movies set it up is not a great place to grow up, not a lot of stuff. And the beginning of the movie, as we're going through it, I don't want to jump ahead too much, but these kids had the biggest rooms, huge homes, giant house.
Speaker 1: All their stuff, bikes and stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so this was very different than what we were trying to portray within my character of not having a lot, you know, really struggling having to kind of pick in piece little outfits together for her, you know, cute vibe things like that.
Speaker 2: This was a little bit different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll talk about that, because it does seem like the environment they were in did not seem to be very foster. You know, again, I don't know much about the foster care system, but I do not imagine it was much like this right set up that day.
Speaker 4: At least is how it always played out on the media, you know what I mean, on movies and TVs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they really set this one.
Speaker 2: It was a cool house with some cool crazing.
Speaker 3: Yes, all right, So before we perform surgery on a dolls broken leg or remove part of its brain, let's get into the synopsis here. The director of a foster home hires a young widow. Weirdly, we'll get into that too, how she just shows up. But the director of foster home hires a young widow to keep house for his family of forgotten orphans, only to find out there's a devious plan set in motion to completely shut down and sell the house right right off the bat. What did you think of the film?
Speaker 4: So again, one of the things that really first of all, the very first thing I thought was, I asked, Jordan, who work? My husband and I are watching it together, and there's this contraption on a bicycle that flings out her newspapers.
Speaker 1: Newspaper.
Speaker 4: Now again, by the time I came around newspapers, someone was driving in a car, maybe throwing them. I don't even really think I ever paid attention to how much how a newspaper came to the door or on the driveway.
Speaker 2: But this was new to me, and so I'm going, Jordan, is that how he goes? He's younger than me. He's like, I have no idea. I don't know if that's a normal newspaper contraption. I'm like, that thing's kind of cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh no, oh, so wait you he thought that maybe in the eighties there was an actual newspaper cannon that attached to bikes.
Speaker 2: Yes, those are cool.
Speaker 1: What what were the eighties like in your mind? I'm curious, very brief and not really existent.
Speaker 2: So I had no idea.
Speaker 3: I think we have to assume that that is her inventor brother.
Speaker 2: Once I find.
Speaker 4: Out she's got an inventor brother, and I see all his other gadgets, That's when I said, oh, man, Will's going to.
Speaker 1: Young people wondering about if we had newspaper launchers attached to the bikes in the eighties.
Speaker 4: Sorry, I'm sorry, I know, I you know, but it had to be said because it really happened to me while I was watching this movie.
Speaker 1: Did you like the film overall?
Speaker 4: I thought there was so many holes and not making sense points and things that I'm excited to kind of dive into. But I did love Again. I loved the young cast. Yeah, and I thought I thought they're little characters and their idea of this close knit family that you again, which is such a great message. You don't always have to be born into this amazing tight knit family. You can create that, you know, and these kids embracing it and him as a as a foster dad for them. He I mean, especially towards the end. And I will say that if in my Sabrina Seaes, if we don't cover I teered up.
Speaker 2: There was one cut that I teared up.
Speaker 4: So, I you know, there were quite a few things that were hard to get over. It wasn't I was not excited to jump and watch it for a second time, that's for sure. Yeah, maybe down the line, I will, But it was it was pretty good.
Speaker 2: It was pretty good.
Speaker 1: I kind of felt the same way again.
Speaker 3: The cast stellar great to see all the young talent that was there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, John Denver.
Speaker 4: I'm assuming in their like firs first roles to these little kids right by their first opportunity.
Speaker 3: This was par for the course back in the eighties, especially which was I mean not the newspaper shooters that was a fake thing, but taking a movie like so ABC, NBC, Disney, they would all do this thing where they would take these movies of the week and you would cast it as many people that were big on television at the time as possible, you know, And I think NBC was the one that really started to do it with movies like Poison IVY or High School USA, where they would take Michael J. Fox, they would take cast members from different strokes and they put them all into one kind of movie. So this was a fun version of that where it hadn't it happened without them knowing it, meaning that a bunch of the kids they cast would then.
Speaker 1: Go on ye incredible career. So I felt the same way.
Speaker 3: A lot of it made absolutely no sense, It needed a solid rewrite, but it was It was fun for what it was.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, we keep talking about the cast that's stacked. Why don't we get into.
Speaker 2: The get into it because it's pretty awesome.
Speaker 1: It really is.
Speaker 3: So we've already mentioned that the movie stars John Denver. He plays Max Sinclair.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: John Denver was obviously a singing and songwriting legend who dabbled TV.
Speaker 1: So the hit songs are one after another.
Speaker 3: It's Leaving on a jet plane, take Me Home, Country Road, Rocky Mountain High.
Speaker 1: I mean, just one kind of hit after another.
Speaker 3: He also became the first American artist to tour the USSR after the Cold War, and it was considered a massive moment in a very tense situation between the two megapowers. He was also the first Western artist to do a multi city tour of mainland China in nineteen ninety two. John Denver was like the guy you called when when a country finally opened up and something western was allowed, we'd send John Denver, Like, there you go, John, take it for us, Golden Boy. He was a huge fan of airplanes. He famously wanted to be one of the first people to go in the Space Shuttle. When he was one of the people considered actually when Kristam Kaliffe, the unfortunate teacher who died in nineteen eighty six on the shuttle Challenger. John Denver was one of the people that was actually considered to go up on the shuttle as well.
Speaker 1: He loved being a pilot.
Speaker 3: It was one of his first love's next to music, and unfortunately it cost him his life because he tragically died in nineteen ninety seven while piloting an experimental aircraft above Monterey Bay, and he was only fifty three years old, which is a shame. Second on the call sheet is Cindy Williams, who is another television legend. She is universally beloved as Shirley Feenie, Yes that is her last name, Shirley Feenie in Laverne and Shirley, a sitcom that is still considered one of the greatest ever created. She plays Heather Drew. That's the nanny that's hired and I'm putting hired in quotes. She just shows up, which is really weird, to help at the orphanage in exchange for room board. Williams would also appear in the movies American Graffiti and The Conversation and was working as recently as last year when she.
Speaker 1: Passed away at the age of seventy five. Very unfortunate.
Speaker 3: She was a great, great television presence, especially and television legend.
Speaker 1: And then a friend of mine.
Speaker 3: Pam Adlon, but credited as Pam Saghal, plays Jesse, the street smart orphan with a strong sense of friendship. Pam has been acting since the age of nine, but it wasn't until her fifties that she became a familiar name in pop culture. She began her career in Greece two and would appear on shows like Facts of Life in Night Court. She was in movies like Say Anything, The Adventures of Ford Fairlane, but it wasn't until thirty years later that her role on Louis and then the spinoff. I guess it's kind of a spinoff, but not really. It's more about her life better things that she'd find herself nominated for six Emmy Awards. She is also, and I can say this, one of the most talented and heralded voice actors of all time. She's best known as Bobby Hill on King of the Hill, a role that she won an Emmy four in two thousand and two. And here's some other things. She's been in of the hundreds of I mean, she's a legend in the animation world. Rick and Morty, Bob's, Burger's, Phineas and ferb Rugrats and Recess where she was Spinelli. She was also my Pumyra to my Liono in ThunderCats and I got to write.
Speaker 1: I wrote the two episodes she was in. It was really really cool.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: And she's the nicest, sweetest. What you see is what you get with Pam. She's so funny and she's was a talented actor even back in the day.
Speaker 1: It's just some meant to be in this industry.
Speaker 2: Yes, she was so cute.
Speaker 1: She is great.
Speaker 3: And then Friend of Ours, friend of all the podcasts in the world. Andrew Barber plays Zoe, the quirky stuffed animal doctor living in the orphanage Andrews, best known as the iconic Kimmy Gibbler from full and Fuller House.
Speaker 1: This is well over a year before that.
Speaker 3: Uh, the audition for full House when she was just little kid was this movie.
Speaker 1: So she was already rocking it.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: So she was even younger than I thought when she did Full House.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they were that's when we talked to the Full House. Uh, to everybody from Full House. They were all younger than we thought they were. Yeah, I mean you're talking to Jody and everybody there.
Speaker 1: They were kids. They were like kid kids.
Speaker 2: Aby started ye yeah gee and.
Speaker 1: At only six years old.
Speaker 3: Andrew also appeared in almost one hundred episodes of Days of Our Lives. We talked to her about that. I think she was at Bowen Hope's wedding. Don't get me started. And now while we're talking TGIF, Jalil White played Jake, the culinary and airline friendly young chef of the house. He's another Family TV icon, obviously known as Steve Erkele from Family Matters, a character that would later appear on Full House. So we get a little early sign of the things that are going to come in Hollywood in the Leftovers with Jaliel very very young again, this is only his fifth job in Hollywood at the time. This is nineteen eighty six. And then of course Erkele takes over and becomes an absolute household.
Speaker 4: He was just meant to be a character actor. And it starts here. There wasn't a whole lot of stuff that you could tell was actually given to him with this character, but he plays it. He was so animated, and I mean he just is just so freaking cute.
Speaker 1: He just lights up the screen.
Speaker 3: One of those kids doesn't matter how old you are, that you know what you're born to do, and just absolutely lights up the screen. I mean, I know it's crazy to kind of equate these, but it's like a Shirley Temple where it didn't matter how old they were, you just put them on screen and they light up.
Speaker 1: They light up everything.
Speaker 2: You can't take it and easily.
Speaker 1: And a lot of this cast were those young actors. They really were.
Speaker 3: Then we've got George Weiner, who plays the evil mister Gladstone, the money hungry owner of the orphanage who doesn't believe in Max's way of running the business and is looking to well sell it all off. Winer is a widely recognizable character actor known for Spaceball's Fletch, not another teenage movie. He is also one of the many people in this movie that was also on Boy Meets World. So there's more to come, but he just covered his episode. He's been in everything, oh wow. And he was so funny in Fletch, but and in Spaceballs. I mean just hysterical. The movie runs ninety four minutes. Again, we're so close, We're four minutes off from our ninety minute mark that we are just trying to hit. Someday, somebody who's gonna make it ninety minute movie. It was directed by Paul Schneider, a veteran of TV movies and TV shows. His resume includes Beverly Hills, nine Ozho two or Zero, Myth Quest, and the movie You Lucky Doug. It's written by and I'm gonna say this name twice because it's spelled g e N, So it's either gen or Jen Leroy, who also wrote the Disney movie Rock and Roll Mom, and Steve Slapkin, who go on to write another kind of Kids Run the Asylum Show Salute Your Shorts. Okay, now we need to save The orphanage trope is very classic and it's a specific trope that dates all the way back to the Three Stooges. Other movies in the genre include sisterrac two, Snowball Express, and Jessica Alba's Honey Never Saw That. There are other versions of it as well, you know, obviously Saving the YMCA or an Old Folks Home. Now, there are movies that are super important in my life when it comes to stuff such as Break into Electric Boogloo where Man they had to go save the rec Center hugely great film that was very important to my childhood. Or Happy Gilmour uhf another great movie. These are all variations of the theme of we've got to save something. So what do you think of this premise as a start for the film? I mean, just basic but good, right.
Speaker 4: Right, And the way it kind of comes out, I felt started to lag a little bit to figure out what their actual mission was going to be, right, that got a little murky yeah, kind.
Speaker 2: Of bounce back and forth. I was waiting for what's the mission? Where are we going?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: But but other than that, I mean it it's always fun, especially when you have a young cast, to see how they're going to figure out, you know.
Speaker 2: I loved that they.
Speaker 4: Had to take bikes in the middle of the night, Yes, jumping in someone's car and having someone drive them, that kind of stuff. Having kids figure out fun, interesting ways to complete the mission is.
Speaker 2: Always always still being kids, Yeah, still being kids.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, they're limited, and so they've got to find some fun different ways.
Speaker 3: So so do you think the fact that they're living in a giant Victorian style house where every kid gets a six hundred square foot loft suite of their own. Yeah, maybe if they just downsize to a regular size house, could that have solved all the problem?
Speaker 4: Yes, probably, you know, maybe sub let it out, let out the upstairs.
Speaker 2: That's a huge it is giant.
Speaker 3: I think what they were kind of this is why it's called the leftovers. I think what they're kind of trying to insinuate is that it was full of kids.
Speaker 2: Multi Yes, that's how I took it too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they got adopted, and these are the kids that didn't get it. DS are the leftovers, which is what they're called obviously. But it still seems like, hey, mister Gladstone, why don't we sell this multi million dollar building and move into a smaller place. Then you get what you want, I get what I want. Bob's your uncle, we're all good to go. That, of course, did not happen, but it seemed like an easy way to save the money, right speaking of the evil mister Gladstone, or would have gotten away with it wasn't for you meddling kids. Right off the bat, we learned that he's visiting the orphanage, so he's at the start of the movie.
Speaker 1: He's coming in.
Speaker 3: We learn right away that he's an awful human being and all the kids and John Denver Max need to be on their best behavior while he's there, and so Jesse runs around she warns all the kids in the house. Zoe has a very, very weird obsession with brutally operating on and kind of ripping apart dolls, which I think is one of the triads of sociopathy, if I'm not wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was creepy, but like hilarious I thought.
Speaker 4: I mean, she there's at one point where she doesn't she's not using scissors or you know, she's using a full blown saw because she saw her doll in half.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know she's giving it CPR.
Speaker 4: She sleeps with the doll because she's had an emergency in the middle of the night. I mean, this kid's little brain in her imagination is just wild.
Speaker 2: Every kid's gory, but it's just it's so epic.
Speaker 4: You have to think it's pretty adorable, right when they go that far.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, I would say it's adorable at this age. If she's still ripping apart stuff at eleven or twelve, it might be time.
Speaker 4: Yes, she seemed they played her very very young, so that made it less.
Speaker 1: Creepy in it they did, which is which works perfect.
Speaker 2: It wasn't the kid in toy story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, except so she's got her her doll hospital. And then we've got Julia White's Jake, who's a health food obsessed culinary expert. Charlie the science and technology inventor who uses the addict to work with gravitational fields and meatball launchers. Now the actor for this. The second he popped on screen, I was like, oh, yes, his name is Jason Presen or Pressin. I think it's pressing. He was also in the Disney movie The Brat Patrol from nineteen eighty six, which was really really good.
Speaker 1: And he was in another huge movie of my childhood.
Speaker 3: He was in The Explorers with Ethan Hawk and River Phoenix, which is just and I don't know if you've ever seen this movie.
Speaker 1: It is the great movie in the world. This three little kids.
Speaker 3: It's Ethan Hawk at like twelve, River Phoenix at like twelve, and then this game Jason Presson and they get these dreams from they don't know where they're coming from but they use the dreams to build a spaceship and fly up and to meet this alien. It is the coolest movie when you were a little kid. It is just the greatest thing ever. So I'm sorry, I could totally go off on.
Speaker 1: The Edgeloorers right now.
Speaker 2: We love a science fiction movie.
Speaker 3: It was so incredible. He hasn't been acting steadily since nineteen ninety one. His last gig was nineteen ninety seven, so it seems like he still lives in la but he just left the industry. But he his resume, especially for a young actor, was just so cool.
Speaker 1: So the house is supposed to be kind of crazy.
Speaker 4: Pants, Yeah, just lots of different energy. These kids all have very big personalities. Ye're very in depth interests, right. Their rooms are just filled with so much that they're interested in.
Speaker 2: And it's a lot.
Speaker 1: But there's also two dogs, a snake.
Speaker 3: That was so unnecessary, and for some reason I don't understand, a goat.
Speaker 1: There's also a goat.
Speaker 2: The goat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just so all the kids weren't enough, you also needed a snake and a goat.
Speaker 4: And with the goat came with the farming brothers, right, the two yes, what they were twins.
Speaker 3: They were twins, right, I think there were twin little kids are farmers that wouldn't eat their goat. They just want to keep it away from their little sister who might take it apart with herself.
Speaker 1: But anyway, the.
Speaker 3: Kids seem like they're pretty self sufficient, especially with Pam Adlon's character almost playing Jesse kind of like.
Speaker 1: A mom older sister role. She's definitely how old do you think she was supposed to be?
Speaker 2: I would think she was around thirteen or fourteen.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's what I was going to say.
Speaker 3: She obviously she's on the older side, but doesn't drive, so I was thinking like fourteen fifteen, yeah, yeah, which again she takes on the kind of family role of like I said, older sister kind of mom, until Cindy Williams shows up for again a really weird reason that I do understand. So yeah, the kids are told to be on their best behavior and Max says he's got to be on his best behavior as well.
Speaker 1: But then mister Gladstone, mean guy comes in.
Speaker 3: He is shocked by the kids behavior, the state of the house over the past six years.
Speaker 1: The kids aren't getting adopted at all.
Speaker 3: These these kids that are left which is again what they're called the leftovers, and it's he believes it's because that Max Sinclair is too picky as a director of this orphanage. So the committee has decided to close down the home in only five weeks, and they want to use a marketing campaign to.
Speaker 1: Make sure that the remaining children are adopted.
Speaker 3: Adopting a foster child is as easy as buying a donut.
Speaker 1: That is actually the statement that the guy uses.
Speaker 4: This is when I was a yelling at the screen, Yes, how are you?
Speaker 2: How do you have this job?
Speaker 4: You are so awful the things you were calling these kids, the even idea that you're talking about selling them essentially, yes, as doughnuts, you know, I mean it just it was so bizarre, and you know, everything that ended up happening to him was just I loved because he was just awful, awful, horrible man.
Speaker 3: I'd also like to point out here that every time he gets into the car when he leaves, he has an assistant that's in shadow. Keep that in mind, because that's going to come back for something very very cool. But this assistant is kind of always in shadow when he's there. But so, yeah, they're going to shut down the home. The kind of unseid issue in the movie is that the parents that we do meet that are looking to adopt the children also really nice.
Speaker 2: That's the thing the parents.
Speaker 3: Yes, a couple parents come in at the time, and they didn't make them these awful people. They made them like, I mean, this one couple that comes in want to adopt a young girl because they lost their own child, right, I mean, it's like, that's that's heartbreaking and horrible.
Speaker 2: I feel what they put.
Speaker 4: First of all, they acted like these two kids standing on a dining room table singing. You know what I would have done if I walked in it, I would have been like, yes, I will also take those too. They are so talented and adorable and entertaining. Let's just get let's let's keep this party going. They were so cute and they were appalled.
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 4: I mean when she comes in in her witch costume, the little guy in the snorkel alpha.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that kind of was weird. But they were just kids being kids too.
Speaker 3: Hey, that's the thing. They're just they're yelling, they're dressed in costume, they're singing, but this nice. They make them the villains of the movie. This nice couple that have lost their child and trying to adopt a little girl.
Speaker 1: It's so strange.
Speaker 3: By the way, Uh, the woman, I don't know who the man was, but the woman played a reoccurring nurse on Mas should of course, I've got to give a mash shout out. She played Nurse Bigelow, Nurse Bigelow in many, many episodes, thank you very much. But it was so strange that you figure they would have made them awful or I want these kids to work. I mean, if they're going Disney with it, I want these kids to work in my factory or somebody, right, But no, there's.
Speaker 1: This nice, loving couple that wanted to finally got their hearts open the adopting a child.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I find out it was a little okay.
Speaker 3: It was Yeah, that one was a little like okay, So is there a reason Do we ever get into why John Denver just doesn't adopt all the kids himself and move into another smaller house.
Speaker 1: They never really addressed.
Speaker 2: That, do they They don't.
Speaker 4: I think it was yeah, I think it was assumed that it was he did not have the money to take over.
Speaker 2: You know, obviously he couldn't.
Speaker 1: Guess it's mentioned.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's mentioned in the end a little little bit, and it's by that point it's too late, so it's.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, it was, it was mentioned. I guess that it was. You know, it's the lawyer. I think when he's saying and he has the best list of stuff, it's like, you know, Max, they kids need socks, they need they need He says, socks is like one of the first things they need. Orthodonis, they need moose.
Speaker 2: Yes, that is the worst part about the kid.
Speaker 4: Being a parent myself, the thing, I am just really nervous about the day that Ledger needs moose for his hand.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the problem. That's one of the its Like, no joke.
Speaker 3: It's probably the main reason I never had children is because I knew they needed moose and socks.
Speaker 1: I was like, what am I me?
Speaker 2: Orthodonist? You know, they embraced it. They need to go to college.
Speaker 4: Those kinds of bills. I totally understand now with socks and moose.
Speaker 1: It's moose and socks.
Speaker 4: My dog stuff is the same price as any of that stuff. You know, come on, give me a break. This wrist was pretty funny, but yes, that's what he was saying. You don't have the money to do this and I both know it. So that's I guess the biggest reason.
Speaker 3: Okay, well yeah, I mean it's if you can't afford moose and socks, forget the orthodontia.
Speaker 1: So we finally then that the reason I.
Speaker 3: Brought it up, because this is where I'm starting the Boy Means World thing is we finally get to see who his assistant in shadow is, and it's Willie Garson, who did many episodes of Boy Means World. God rest him. He was such a wonderful god Sex and the City and everything else. But he's best known as Stanford on Sex and the City.
Speaker 2: Wait, the young guy in the car.
Speaker 4: Yes, no, yes, I sat next to him at a Laker game one time.
Speaker 3: He's that was the greatest guy in the world. He married Corey and Tipanga. He was did three episodes of the show. He was on the set all the time. He was a good friend of Michael Jacobs, who created the show.
Speaker 2: Didn't even have a line in the movie.
Speaker 1: Maybe it got yeah, but that was willing will And if that wasn't cool enough too.
Speaker 3: At the end, when they're now watching the news in the garage, is the garage. The guy who runs the garage is comedian Domirera, who was just on Podmeets World.
Speaker 1: Because he was also on boy Me Throll. He played a great So we just had all these boy Me throw people on it.
Speaker 3: I'm wow, Producer Jensen going, that was a young dom Irera.
Speaker 1: So everybody's there. It's great. So yes, we got miss Willy all the time.
Speaker 3: And every time I get to see him, I just I'm simultaneously so happy and so sad, but it's it was wonderful to see him. Great actor, phenomenal and a and a great guy too. So he finally reveals to Willie Carson's character essentially mister mister bad guy, I need the money. I don't care what happens to the kids at all. I just want the land. And that's when you know we got we got a real battye here. This is this is not good, is it?
Speaker 1: So John Denver?
Speaker 3: Of course, then to the rescue. I've got to go get I've got to go get money. So he gets into the weirdest mode of transportation it's possibly ever put on phone.
Speaker 2: Do you equivalentate that van with.
Speaker 1: That goes through his van? Can you walk us through his van a little bit.
Speaker 4: It was I mean going back even a longer generation farther in front of my time, but it looked like a seventies van that was spray painted.
Speaker 2: My guess is.
Speaker 1: Maybe the kids he let the kids painted, is that what they were going for?
Speaker 2: Smoked constantly.
Speaker 4: It looked like they had a hard time opening and shutting the doors.
Speaker 2: This car.
Speaker 4: You needed to jiggle the ignition key. I mean, this thing was a pos. It was not a great car to be safely driving.
Speaker 2: Twelve kids in and two dogs.
Speaker 1: They don't bring the do they bring the dog?
Speaker 2: Brought the goat, but for some reason he brings the dogs. When he's getting a loan. It just it was then.
Speaker 3: We please talk about this is the holes in the plot for yeah, the ridiculousness of the loan scenes. Because yes, so he goes to the bank like a loan, like a not even a bank, it's like all cash app loan kind of place without an app because it's nineteen eighty six. But like he's trying to get them at the local bank. They give him stuff to fill out to get.
Speaker 2: The loan, and he's instantly hungry.
Speaker 1: He's instantly hungry for lunch. It's lunch.
Speaker 3: He knows he's got to sit there, and so his foster daughter whatever, Jesse says, I made you a peanut butter sandwich.
Speaker 1: Very sweet.
Speaker 3: He opens it up and he pulls it out, and it's not a peanut butter sandwich.
Speaker 1: It's one of the doll's brains. But for some reason it's.
Speaker 2: Wet and giant. A giant brain for a doll, I felt.
Speaker 1: But also who puts in?
Speaker 5: What kind of doll had an anatomically correct and wet brain?
Speaker 2: Not none. Those dolls heads are filled with cotton like they're not.
Speaker 4: They don't ever have brains. There's no reason for them to have them.
Speaker 1: So was it supposed to be a prank?
Speaker 2: You think, like, yes, They talk about it a little bit later.
Speaker 4: They refer to it, oh Jesse peanut butter jelly, because she does it again when he goes back out, he said, They go like, as if this is like kind of one of Jesse's things.
Speaker 2: She sort of does pranks, is what I.
Speaker 3: Oh, I thought, she I thought when they said it again, it was her going like, I made sure it's actually a sandwich this time.
Speaker 1: Because he takes the bag again. It doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 2: No, and he doesn't even check it.
Speaker 4: I would have been like, mm hmm, okay, fine, all right, thank you for the brain.
Speaker 1: It falls on the Yanks. The brain falls on the ground in.
Speaker 2: The bank, and everyone's horrified, horrified.
Speaker 1: Freaks out.
Speaker 3: He then steps on it or people he's trying to find on the ground. So security comes.
Speaker 4: And now he's a psych path who needs to be escorted out.
Speaker 3: Of the bank loan center place. Yeah, by the security guard.
Speaker 2: Yes, And he gets thrown out.
Speaker 3: It's literally physically thrown out because of weird anatomically correct doll brain.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He then tries to go back with a bad mustache on and is actually arrested.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for no reason because he went to go get water and his mustache.
Speaker 1: Fell off, and then security guard recognized him.
Speaker 2: And then took him out, but then.
Speaker 1: Had him actually arrested. The next scene is his lawyer friend about a git. It's like, what was he arrested for? I got? I did not get I paused. I was like, what am I missing?
Speaker 4: My goodness, the amount of times I could have got arrested for some random stuff? Right?
Speaker 1: How many times have you stepped on an anatomically correct dog?
Speaker 4: One?
Speaker 2: Thank god? None but I've I have definitely been where my purse balls apart. My stuff lies everywhere, and I'm like a.
Speaker 4: Nuisance to the whole room because my lip glosses over there, my bones over there.
Speaker 2: I mean, is that all it.
Speaker 4: Took back in the eighties to get arrested?
Speaker 1: Eighties? Serious? And in all fairness, though, I've seen your fake mustache. It's awesome.
Speaker 3: So yours looks way better than John Denver's did. And I didn't even remember that whole time. I had that whole conversation with you.
Speaker 1: No idea, but very very strange.
Speaker 3: So then he's put in jail for no reason, for no reason, and the kids, as they're waiting for him to come back, I think from lone app attempt number two, they see a woman walking up for no reason who then is smelling flowers and is attacked by a bee, a bee which is never mentioned again or brought up in any way, shape or form. She's then just in house. Her name is Heather. She finds her way with her new baby Katie.
Speaker 4: And okay, wait, I don't I won't cover it in Sabranci's there's too many, So we've got to talk about this basket that the baby's revealed.
Speaker 2: In she's walking upstairs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, with her suitcase and a weirdly weird I mean maybe this was a basket of the eighties.
Speaker 2: Again, I wouldn't know about it.
Speaker 1: Eighties basket who knows.
Speaker 2: It's a very strange shape.
Speaker 4: It looks almost similar to like a longer version of what Bell uses while she's in the little town singing, and you know, and it's.
Speaker 2: Like, what's in there? What's in there?
Speaker 4: Oh, you're walking around with your child in a in a basket?
Speaker 2: Okay, not buckled it.
Speaker 3: You've never heard about eighties basket babies very very very popular, very much.
Speaker 2: Are you mean serious?
Speaker 4: Of course?
Speaker 1: What is an eighties basket baby? Wow? You sorious.
Speaker 4: Y'all were crazy and I don't know you got rocket launchers for your newspapers.
Speaker 3: Well, the cool thing was the combination of the two. We would launch the babies from the front of the bike.
Speaker 2: I've never even seen or heard of someone literally walking.
Speaker 4: Around their child in a basket, not a bassinet, a basket of woven little wooden basket thing.
Speaker 2: It was so strange.
Speaker 1: But the kids, the kids first think she's a parent trying to adopt them, so they go off on their their whole plan being with the plan B, which is dressing up in you know, different outfits and stuff like that, and then they're like, wait, that.
Speaker 2: Was a tomato plant comedy that was so funny.
Speaker 1: Has a tomato plant.
Speaker 4: It's pretty funny committed to but then they realized that she's not there to adopt them.
Speaker 1: She's there to get a job. She's was also an orphan growing.
Speaker 4: Up and now is her husband has passed away, she now has a young baby to.
Speaker 1: Raise and what was it?
Speaker 3: She saw an old ad for help on like the grocery store. They had to explain it because otherwise she just shows up at this house and is like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, live here.
Speaker 4: Now he's not Max is not waiting for her. She never contacted him. She just literally shows up at this house and she and it's briefly talked about. It's pretty much one sentence of the movie where she saw this ad and just poof made sense on my way.
Speaker 1: And then she's part of their life. That was it. It was like they have one small discussion about it.
Speaker 4: Questioned it, yeah, nope, Max questioned it for all of twenty seconds.
Speaker 1: Hey, who's this lady with this baby? No background checks.
Speaker 4: Mind you, who's this stranger, this older woman that just could never happen in a movie nowadays because stranger danger is just too too crazy.
Speaker 3: It was the eighties, no helmets, no background checks, Yes it was. So she's just now part of the house. She she is now, she's great with the ca she does chores. She's like, I will make myself useful.
Speaker 4: Yes, they did say they had a housekeeper of some sort that had left or passed away something like that, something like that. So she was filling in this spot that they needed and didn't need money for it, just a place to stay.
Speaker 2: I guess that is what it was.
Speaker 1: So she's now just part of the family.
Speaker 3: And when anytime a possible adopting family calls, we actually get to see a little bit of Pam's amazing voiceover work already back in the day, picking up the phone, changing her voices doing it.
Speaker 4: Yes, she did a great job that. When now that I know she was a voice actor, it's like, yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh no, she she kills shells.
Speaker 2: She had a wide range, even a young.
Speaker 3: Young aga, oh yeah she would. Everybody knew what she was going to be doing. And so when the family does actually visit Uh to come and get Zoe. They're looking for a little girl because again this is the nice couple who have lost a child and are looking to give another child a beautiful, wonderful home.
Speaker 1: So of course the villains.
Speaker 3: They get they walk into what you were talking about, Juliel and one of the farming kids doing a pretty incredible song on the team.
Speaker 4: Yes, fully decked out costumed electric guitars.
Speaker 1: Just j could play too. He was doing yes, And you.
Speaker 4: Know he did do a little bit of singing and stuff within his career.
Speaker 1: Oh that makes sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you know he was a performer for sure. And so I thought they were great.
Speaker 1: They were great.
Speaker 3: They they were punk and some of the lyrics they're singing are like punk punk, shredding rock and one of them is you try and make us go to bed, will kick, scream and bite.
Speaker 1: So yeah, they're trying to make it like we're going to be the worst people. Anyway.
Speaker 3: They hide Zoe because they don't want her to be taken away, and they are trying to get the couple to leave. The couple's like, we're not leaving. We're gonna go talk to mister Gladstone. We want to talk to the kid. They're like, there's no no girl here. We're like, yeah, we know there's a girl here. Please, we've lost our child. Let us at least see a child.
Speaker 1: Horrible. Uh So they're going to talk to mister Gladstone.
Speaker 4: That's when the mom, the the woman started getting a little like, well, I'm going to talk to mister Gladstone.
Speaker 3: Well I would be too, like I drove all the way here to see a little kid, But give me, where's the kid?
Speaker 1: I want? When we're supposed to adopt. We're trying to give this kid a home.
Speaker 3: But if there's an actual villain in this movie, not just mister Gladstone, but John Denver eventually runs up the old van again and goes to see his aunt Winifred Oh, who is uber wealthy, has had the same butler forever who helped to raise Max. So they have a kind of a wonderful relationship. But she's one step away from using baby skin to make a coat. I mean, it's like, how bad, how awful was was this woman?
Speaker 4: Yes, she's she's crazy and mean, and it's it's interesting to know that he was raised by her when she doesn't seem motherly in any sense.
Speaker 3: No, well, I think it's the butler that really raised him, that's what they.
Speaker 4: One of the funniest parts of the move happens towards the end of it, after she denies him of any money. I'm not helping you. You shouldn't be doing this. I don't like children. You shouldn't.
Speaker 2: I have told you that.
Speaker 4: She said that he's been doing it for six or seven years, and just it's a waste of time, waste of money.
Speaker 2: You know, she's just very disappointed.
Speaker 4: I'm assuming she wanted him to get into whatever kind of business her family could have offered.
Speaker 1: Money business, whatever money business.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's heading out with the butler, and the butler goes to get his coat, like slammed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're gonna need this as our social clip because he gets wrestled by this this entire flock.
Speaker 2: He just takes him out, and it was so good, right.
Speaker 1: Off his feet.
Speaker 4: It was so good. I had to watch it a couple of times. You know, that is my thing. I love seeing people just get wiped out and then so much the wear him and Max forget that he doesn't need his coat.
Speaker 1: It's so fun.
Speaker 2: It was in one of my Subrita Seas. But it's just too good to not say it right from here.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 1: It was so good, it was great.
Speaker 2: And he didn't even get ended up. He didn't even get a coat for him.
Speaker 1: He just took him out. He's like, we're good, we're fine.
Speaker 2: You look like you're busy. I'll come get it later.
Speaker 1: I'll be okay, I'll be okay.
Speaker 3: Do you think this movie missed the bar at all by not having John Denver sing a single song?
Speaker 2: You know how I feel about that.
Speaker 4: You cannot have a vocal artist who is famous for it, right, not just oh.
Speaker 2: I mean, how many actors in la are.
Speaker 1: You know can also sing?
Speaker 4: So it's not that, but somebody who's known, especially on this level. I don't know where it would have been, to be honest, in the movie, there really wasn't a place that was set up for anything like that.
Speaker 3: You have to add a scene where he grabs a guitar and he's playing a song to all the kids sitting around watching.
Speaker 1: I mean, how do you not add that scene?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I guess I just don't know where it would have been. There was a lot of chaos constantly.
Speaker 3: Maybe take out the second loan scene with the with the fake mustache and put in John denversing.
Speaker 1: That could have worked.
Speaker 4: It could have been part of her falling in love with him, because that was really touch. Does that you know, like that's a thing they do at night once the kids are settled down.
Speaker 1: Great idea something like that, Yeah, great idea.
Speaker 3: Yeah, John Denver singing to send you what come on? That's perfect. So while Max fails at getting the loan and is actually thrown in jail for it, Zoe ends up getting adopted after all. Heather, who's Cindy Williams character, she starts weirdly digging deep into She doesn't trust this Gladstone character, obviously, and so she starts breaking into his office and trying to sneak past his secretary to find out what the plan is. And she finds it. Oh my god, he's going to sell the land. He doesn't care about the kids at all.
Speaker 1: This is horrible.
Speaker 3: Yes, Andrea has a heartbreaking scene when she leaves, and it made me wonder And I can't wait because I get to say this now.
Speaker 1: We get to ask her on our Parkopper.
Speaker 3: Episode because we are interviewing Andrew Barber, but we get to ask her how she felt about John Denver, because it seemed, I mean, all the acting was great, but they all seem to genuinely really like this guy. Yes, so I'm hoping she remembers what that's like, because I can't wait to hear how that relationship affected the acting, because again, she was great, and he really did seem to care about all the kids, and they really seem to care about him. So I can't wait to talk to her because I want to know what it was like working with John Denver.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean John Denver exactly, very cool.
Speaker 1: Zoe leaves.
Speaker 3: She was adopted by a wonderful, caring family, so of course let's go get her back. They sneak out under the cover of darkness, They get on their bikes, and they then find out where her home is, her new home, and then they pretend to be capped, and so the nighbor. So then the nice family, the husband and wife, who are probably ecstatic that they finally have somebody in their old daughter's room who was again passed away, start treating them like cats and throwing the I'll do this, and they throw a boot at one of the kids.
Speaker 1: They splash water on them.
Speaker 2: Water say they're gonna call out the dogs.
Speaker 1: And yes, and then the two little tiny dogs run out.
Speaker 2: Don't forget. They use the newspaper slingshot.
Speaker 1: They ask the cannon to shoot a grappling hook.
Speaker 2: Of nails it on the first try.
Speaker 3: Well, the grappling hooks in the eighties were really well made and are grappling hook launching machines, which everyone happened.
Speaker 4: Liil obviously has some rope climbing mountain climbing experience. He goes right in, whoop, He goes right to the wall and then struggles getting up it, which was funny.
Speaker 1: Very funny. They get up there, Zoe's gone, She's already left.
Speaker 2: He goes directly to that room.
Speaker 3: Well because they say they they knowed what room she's in, because the family that they have, the parents look over, like, no, her light's already off, so she's asleep.
Speaker 1: So they're like, Okay, at least we know where she is. Right. So they a lot of breaking and entrying, a lot of b and in this movie.
Speaker 3: So they break they break in again, and she has left a very badly spelled note and there's an emphasis yes I said that right on how bad her spelling is that's never really paid off.
Speaker 1: They mentioned it twice, and it also kind of is.
Speaker 2: Pretty fisted about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it also leads to hey, maybe this new family would have taught her how to spell. So they finally they find her by singing all the family when they were driving together. And this is one time you did get to see John Denver sing, but it was with everybody was oh my darling Clement time very briefly. So they all start singing that as a like a yelling out of her name. They sing the song. They find her. She's in a playground. Oh thank god, we can bring her home. And they bring her home, and now it's morning. The kids were out all freaking night. That was the thing that amazed me. I was like, oh, this was not an hour long excursion. They've been out for like nine hours and nobody's noticed these kids are gone.
Speaker 1: Maybe John Denver isn't the person to be raising them. I'm sorry, I'm gonna say it.
Speaker 2: Well, and heather sneaks out too, for Bna for breaking an entry.
Speaker 4: Yes, where is your baby? Who is watching your baby? Well, you speak out?
Speaker 2: Who's watching it?
Speaker 6: Max?
Speaker 2: Isn't no that you leave the house. You haven't told him, because you're sneaking out.
Speaker 1: I was watching her baby.
Speaker 2: Who's watching your kid?
Speaker 3: Oh' that's very interesting. I didn't even think about that. Heather though, after again some light be any of her own, gets the documents that she needs to prove two Max that Gladstone has been cooking the books yea to make the home look like it's losing a ton of money. And actually they've been working for a real estate agent for the property. And the client that wants them out is the awful Aunt. It's Winifred good twist. I did not see that filming.
Speaker 2: I didn't either. I really didn't either.
Speaker 1: She's the bad guy all along.
Speaker 4: There also finds that she's got a great talent for unlocking locks.
Speaker 2: She's a locksmith.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in the next life, or was in her previous because her talent for just pop.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm in, I'm in. She's pretty impressive. But it is a Scooby Doo moment.
Speaker 3: It is a total Scooby Doo moment when they pull off the But you know, Winnifred I would have gotten away with it. So yeah, so we're at the deadline now, they're still going to lose the house. At this point, We're at the deadline and Gladstone is sending the kids cross country and even has Max arrested again for something now more important than bothering the loan office, which is very strange. Aunt Winnifred is ready to pounce and everyone is packing to make a mad dash. Even his aunt's lifelong assistant is going to be joining Max. He'd rather be with Max and with Winnifred. His dad figure. Max's dad figure is coming with them as well. The family's complete. But in one last interesting hail Mary attempt, the lawyer suggests that if they call the news and Charlie the kid who's also an inventor, shows his anti gravity hat on the news, right, that'll save the home.
Speaker 4: Yes, But the crazier part is how they get them on it, Like, how where the connection that he has with this news So it's it's his Yes, it's his friend, not so much when we meet the friend and he went to Camp Sakawaukee, they were the two Dans. And then finally the anchor recognizes him because he the lawyer Dan was the Dan that had severe.
Speaker 1: Poison ie ivy.
Speaker 2: That's how he got these kids on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the news anchor even goes, oh, you you survived that, like he thought he died at the camp from the poison ivy. But for some reason, this gets the local news to come by to pre empt another story. By the way, yes, to show the anti gravity machine on news. And so that's really just a cruise. Yeah, it wasn't great, but it was just a ruise to then say, hey, yes, while I have invented an anti gravity machine, kind of an important deal. Really, what's what's worse is that we're losing the house because this guy is breaking the law. So it's like they've exposed him on the local news. It was a very kind of this is why I said I need to rewrite very kind of convoluted, weird ending to this to the story.
Speaker 4: Right, So yeah, there is one part.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you noticed it. I don't. I have too many Serbia seas and I can't miss that.
Speaker 4: The Max as he's Max As he's watching the TV because he's our in the gage in the garage, trying to figure out how to with the yes and get this pos van to take him back home.
Speaker 2: Right, he's still there, he finds he sees it.
Speaker 4: The butler's watching the TV. He notices what's going on and he says, oh my God. But they totally not even try.
Speaker 2: To make it look voice over it, oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: And I went gosh.
Speaker 2: It just made me think from what we saw in prom Pact twenty three to nineteen eighty.
Speaker 4: Six, you can't say stopped over God and had to put gosh in.
Speaker 2: That was a huge, huge distance from it.
Speaker 1: They used to do that all the time.
Speaker 3: I remember one of my favorite ones ever was I was watching The Breakfast Club on regular television as a kid and John Bender has a line where he says, eat my yours, and they dub it to where I was watching it, and this is this is not a joke, this is how it sounded. He went eat my socks and it was somebody just it was a different voice entirely. It was the wrong pitch and it was just somebody going socks right over.
Speaker 1: It was the greatest thing. So they did that stuff all the time.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, so you're right, it was gosh, God, but they're watching he gets the motorcycle, they go home, Hey, you did it.
Speaker 2: Motorcycle saved it. So funny.
Speaker 3: You were now all a family and this Cindy Williams they kiss out of nowhere.
Speaker 4: Out of nowhere, I mean you saw the Like I said, there could have been one more little tiny.
Speaker 2: Scene that, yeah, built their relationship up a little bit more. But this kiss comes out of.
Speaker 3: Nowhere and he's like and she's like, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have done that. He's like, no, I'm I'm on. I'm on a rocky mountain, high lady. So that's it.
Speaker 1: But did the end work for you? It's seemed very wrapped up very quickly.
Speaker 2: For me, it did, it wrapped up really quick.
Speaker 4: I didn't feel like I understood really what ended up happening with the buying of the house.
Speaker 2: Is the house okay?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: What happened with the ant? None of that?
Speaker 1: No, no, no.
Speaker 4: I also thought the cake cutter was so obvious. I felt it coming when he was asking about it.
Speaker 1: I knew.
Speaker 3: I thought it was going to throw on everybody else. I thought everyone was going to get covered in cake.
Speaker 2: I thought the way he reacted seemed very real.
Speaker 4: The way maybe yeah, he didn't either he didn't know or it wasn't It wasn't practiced, you know, they just went for like the rehearsal.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it was very all right, okay, I mean.
Speaker 1: And then literally movie over, Yeah, which I was.
Speaker 2: I was kind of ready to be I was.
Speaker 1: I was too at that point.
Speaker 3: Again, I loved watching the kids so very funny story, needed to rewrite.
Speaker 5: Yeah, let's do our real reviews.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll take the one star this time. And this is from It's Either Nita or Nida B and it's I watched it because it starred John Denver. It's not one of his better films. It's okay, more of what they used to call bubble gum. I think that's accurate. If I'm at one star, I think is a bit harsh, but yeah, bubblegum is accurate.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, this five star by Susan H. John Denver, Children and Animals? How could you possibly lose? Great movie for the entire family. Didn't even know it existed until I typed John Denver into the search bar.
Speaker 2: All right, yep, I am currently.
Speaker 4: Looking for a movie which John Denver acted in called Savant. All right, this is the best part of this one. It is also I love Amazon, the products, the service, the promptness of the whatever need and not be surpass It's such.
Speaker 1: A weird way to jump.
Speaker 3: It's like I'm trying to watch John Denver movie and I love Burger King. It's like you, what's happening here, Susan h We've been playing some wonderful games.
Speaker 1: I love that, And we've got another one that's a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: This week it's gonna be a king that's called leftover or left under, and we'll be given again we do not know. We will be given a trivia question and we have to decide whether the real answer is higher than or lower than the number that we have here. So for an example, like how many hosts are on Magical rewind is it higher or lower than one?
Speaker 1: It's higher? Okay, great, So we got know we do not know these We are usually not very good at this stuff. So here we go.
Speaker 3: First, Like we told you, Julia White would later become the iconic character Steve Erkle on the show Family Matters, but it wasn't always guaranteed he break out as a star. How many episodes of Family Matters was he originally booked to a piece higher or lower than two?
Speaker 2: Oh? Oh man, I'm going to go with higher.
Speaker 1: See I'm going to go with lower.
Speaker 3: I think he was supposed to be a one off Oh, I think I think he was supposed to come in right, but he wasn't supposed to be so I think maybe they brought him on.
Speaker 1: It's one thing.
Speaker 3: It's either a four episode arc or it's a one off. I'm going to say lower, you're going to say higher.
Speaker 2: Let's higher.
Speaker 6: It's a one off. It's lower.
Speaker 1: It was it wasn't on.
Speaker 3: It's what I figured. He was only supposed to be on. All right, one for me, I actually got one. Here's a second question. John Denver is one of the biggest musicians of all times. So with this in mind, how many number one songs did he have in his career? Is it higher or lower than five?
Speaker 7: Oh, that's a tough one. Five more than five number one songs? Number one, number one. I'm gonna say hi.
Speaker 1: I'm going to say lower again.
Speaker 6: It's lower.
Speaker 1: It's four four.
Speaker 6: The songs are sunshining on my shoulders. Any song Thank God, I'm a country Boy and I'm Sorry, which means leaving on a jet plane not a number one.
Speaker 1: Wait so wait, so Rocky Mountain High wasn't a number one.
Speaker 6: No, not a number one.
Speaker 4: Take Me Take Me a Country Road wasn't a number one Country Road.
Speaker 6: That wasn't number one, No Sunshine my Shoulders any song. Thank God, I'm a country boy and I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's amazing because I hadn't heard of three of those. Okay, So Cindy Williams stars and leftovers, but it is best known for her time on Laverne and surely widely known as a set with some serious issues. If you ever want to read about Laverne and Suirly, it is a trip to read how this show was made.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Oh, they used to literally, she and Penny Marshall would go into different dressing rooms and count their number of lines and wouldn't come out of the dressing room if one of them had more lines than the other. So they had to write the script where they had an equal number of lines. Very nutty set to beyond.
Speaker 3: But how many years after Lavernon Shirley was canceled did it take to get Cindy and Penny Marshall to appear on camera together again? Over or under twelve? It's gotta be over twelve, gotta be. I don't think it's for years, for like decades, I don't think they did.
Speaker 2: I guess I'll stay hired too.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say higher, and I'm guessing, waiting for keeping. You'll get one right.
Speaker 3: Eventually before our producer jumps on, I'm gonna guess it's a lot higher.
Speaker 1: But let's see if that's right. Okay, go ahead, it's thirty years.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 6: They showed up on Nickelodeon's Salmon Cat as feuding co creators of a seventy sitcom called Salmon Cat Brilliant Brilliant.
Speaker 1: Both women pass away at the age of seventy five. Too very strange.
Speaker 2: The anxiety to hold a grudge for thirty years.
Speaker 1: Oh, I couldn't even imagine.
Speaker 2: Unreal. I can't do that.
Speaker 6: I'm planning on doing it with one of you.
Speaker 3: Two.
Speaker 6: I don't know which want you.
Speaker 1: That's fair, that's fair.
Speaker 4: It's really gonna be me because you always want me to lose on these games, all right.
Speaker 3: I think I'm four to four at this point, by the way, you are, here's the last question. Michael Eisner would host the Sunday Night Movie, appearing in intros and before commercial breaks from movies like The Leftovers and Our Favorite of Course. But it allegedly We're gonna, We're gonna bracket allegedly for his first introduction. Ever, he required how many takes higher or lower than twelve?
Speaker 2: Twelve takes is a lot. I'm gonna go lower.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say higher again.
Speaker 6: It's sixty eight. By the way, this is a fact that was in numerous places, not just fu O.
Speaker 2: My gosh, were you for five?
Speaker 4: No, I got the first, the third one, I got your.
Speaker 2: Twelve years geez, gosh.
Speaker 1: Sixty eight takes.
Speaker 2: That's a lot. Imagine how long that was.
Speaker 4: Because the fuzz Bucket one we saw it looked like it was a one, like one long take, like like a monologue that was pretty long.
Speaker 2: Do you remember that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So imagine how long sixty eight takes of something like that would be.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no one watched. No one watched the fuzz Bucket when it was like, Michael Eisner should be in these movies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: In all fairness, it was not Michael Eisner's fault. They were being directed by David Fincher.
Speaker 6: That's true. A lot of takes, a.
Speaker 1: Lot of takes. Okay, Well, let's what what do you got left for? Sabrina Ce's did we hit most?
Speaker 4: Oh man, we hit quite a bit of them. I jumped in with some of them. So, but because there's just so.
Speaker 2: Many But one thing I thought, I don't know if you picked up on it.
Speaker 4: This is kind of their only building moment of romance that is built in the movie. It's when outside and they're you know, hanging clothes, which I thought was so funny.
Speaker 2: I don't know, again, in the eighties.
Speaker 4: If that was a super normal thing and people didn't have dry washing machine.
Speaker 1: People stillide not a ton.
Speaker 2: That was a lot of clothes they had. That was everything that they own.
Speaker 1: There fourteen orphans members.
Speaker 2: Of the household.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so anyway that was I obviously was just you know, I always think that's so cute when when that happens.
Speaker 2: I love that in movies.
Speaker 4: But so they are taking their time talking about it, and then as he's he's leaving, she says, oh, Max, you better take an umbrella today.
Speaker 2: There's forecasts of rain today. And I'm like, then, why did you just hang all this un clothes outside and you're and he's leaving, You're done?
Speaker 4: What are you So that that was really like a funny little thing that didn't click in with many people on set apparently, And then we mentioned this and I don't want to stop it. Then because I thought I might have. I guess I got it wrong. But the time when we were sitting it says with our stuff with our producers, that Zoe gets adopted. I picked up that she was going for a couple of days to try it out. It wasn't an actual full blown adoption. And he even says, is this legal. I'm like, no, that is not legal. You cannot just like, this isn't a layaway borrow situation with a child. That was so bizarre to me, Like, no, that is not legal. No, Max, do not let her go with them, And she did, and it was sad, it was ridiculous.
Speaker 3: I'm still just now because you said it's terribly worried for Cindy Williams baby.
Speaker 2: My gosh.
Speaker 4: So then the last one I'm gonna do because this I believe, and honestly, I don't know if it's true, but it's it definitely looks like it is incorrect. There's two of them in the very first scene when Jesse's on her her bike with this awesome eighties contraption that.
Speaker 1: Sent everybody's harpers.
Speaker 4: She's riding along and all of a sudden wipes it looked like the dog there was a dog that came out and it almost looked like the dog wasn't supposed to do that kind of thing, and she wiggled and then just kept riding and.
Speaker 2: They kept it.
Speaker 4: She took her hands off, Yeah, she took her hands on, and then the dog freaking to.
Speaker 3: Be like hey, and then she like like almost wiped out on the bike.
Speaker 1: I saw that it was that.
Speaker 4: And then the second one again I think, because that could have easily been something that wasn't meant to happen, and then they just kept in because they liked the dog and added a you know, voysilver or whatever. And then the next one I think could have been the same way because it was kind of funny. It was a little mishap when mister Gladstone's coming back into the car the last time and we see your friend his assistants in there, and he's flabbergasted talking about firing Max.
Speaker 2: He's out of here, blah blah blah blah blah, and he kind of looks like he forgot to shut the door.
Speaker 4: And then he tells the driver and he says, what are you in Acoma? And then you see the actor that's next to him kind of like, you know, gesture to the door and then he shut the.
Speaker 2: Door and they fly off. Don't you think they could.
Speaker 4: Have something that was just a mistake. But it was funny and they kept it going and did not.
Speaker 1: And that's what I still didn't know. It was Willy, Like, oh, it's I didn't either.
Speaker 2: He only comes up one time after Willy.
Speaker 1: That's good.
Speaker 2: He had three small little scenes and that's so.
Speaker 1: And I don't think he had a line or he had one in the whole movie.
Speaker 2: So that's it for me.
Speaker 1: My great Sabrina sees as always.
Speaker 3: And now we have to rate our movie one out of ten, one of course being bad, ten being amazing.
Speaker 1: What should do one out of ten?
Speaker 3: Pet goats, stuffed animal surgeries, beat up hippie vans, awful.
Speaker 1: Aunts or anti gravity hats? What do you think? I'm also gonna add.
Speaker 3: Eighties newspaper cannons, which of course everybody had back in the.
Speaker 1: Day, the eighties.
Speaker 7: Terrible uh, terrible baby baskets or terrible baby baskets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's do the eighties. What did you call it?
Speaker 1: Eighties newspaper cannons? Okay, perfect, So out of out of ten eighties newspaper canons. How many do you give this one?
Speaker 2: Oh? Man? You know was?
Speaker 4: I did like a lot of it again the young cast, yep, but I.
Speaker 2: Didn't love there was too many what wait? What what?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: It's just kind of all over. Like I said, a lot of it was a little spastic.
Speaker 2: For me and at a lot of times.
Speaker 4: So I think this is not going to be one of my better ones. I'm gonna go.
Speaker 2: With six eighties newspaper cannons.
Speaker 3: You know what's funny, it's exactly the number I'm going to give it. It would be a much lower number for me if not for the cast. Yeah, the cast was great.
Speaker 1: The cast was great, and.
Speaker 2: It was really fun to see.
Speaker 4: Obviously the older actors were more well known, but it was really cool to see these young actors in a job that you just know was one of their very first things that they.
Speaker 3: Were doing, and they were great for early in their career. An awesome cast that saved it for me. So I'm also giving it six eighties newspaper cannons.
Speaker 1: Well that's it.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for joining us for this episode of Magical Rewind. It was a fun watch again, go check it out if you want to or don't totally up to you.
Speaker 1: This is America.
Speaker 3: The next movie we're going to be doing is from the two thousand is The Color of Friendship, which everybody loves this movie.
Speaker 1: I know nothing about this movie.
Speaker 4: I haven't seen it in so long. I am so excited for this.
Speaker 3: Okay, good, I know nothing about this movie, literally nothing.
Speaker 2: Such a great movie.
Speaker 3: Oh I'm okay good. Oh I'm very very excited. And if you want to watch it beforehand, it is available to view on Disney Plus.
Speaker 1: So go and check it out and.
Speaker 3: Remember to subscribe to our feed and you can follow us at the Magical rewind Pod on the Instagram Machine. Thank you so much for joining us, and don't forget in our Park Copper episode, we're gonna be talking to Andrea Barber. It's gonna be so much fun. We have so many questions, like whatever happened to that baby? Because that's yikes. That poor kid seen again, I've never seen again. Check out a clip because it's a great interview.
Speaker 1: Like everybody in it went on to do.
Speaker 3: It was either huge in television or went on to be huge in television.
Speaker 1: Basically the entire.
Speaker 4: Cast it was like a training ground for like future child stars and like big actor names.
Speaker 2: It was great, you know it was.
Speaker 4: We had no idea at the time, Like I had no idea who these people were, you know, like.
Speaker 2: Jaliel wasn't even Rkle yet.
Speaker 4: Like we went on to be the annoying neighbors on our respective sitcoms.
Speaker 2: So great, so cool.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much everybody, and we will see you next time. Bye bye
Speaker 5: Sl