Speaker 1: Toss Popcorn is a production of iHeartRadio. We are back Baby. Hello.
Speaker 2: Hello, I'm Leanna Holsten, I'm Sianna Jacole, and welcome back to Toss Popcorn, the podcast where two idiots watched every film on the AFI's one hundred Greatest American Movies of All Time, the very slightly less racist tenth Anniversary edition, and are now watching films directed by went In.
Speaker 1: Yes, I forgot I have to talk next. I was like, she's really taking this time for emphasis. It's awesome. This podcast is a safe hotel room for people who don't know anything about movies. Today we're watching good Luck to You Leo Grant number three. We do a sixty nine, if that's what it's still called. I don't know for me on Top five talky style, is that right?
Speaker 2: M I don't know if you can say I saw your titles on your documents and I loved them.
Speaker 1: I got all the words. Okay, uh warning, there will be spoilers about this this recent this recent movie I just can't wait to talk about. I don't okay, what do we do now?
Speaker 2: Predictions?
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, it's been so long. I've been all across all over the world, of Western I've seen so many things that's really changed me and.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, well can't talk about that yet. Sienna, could please hear your prediction for and what did you think?
Speaker 3: It was?
Speaker 2: Called? Good Luck? Leo Grande?
Speaker 1: Hi, Leanna, this is Sienna, welcome back, thank you of us. I'm about to watch good Luck Leo Grand Leo Grande. I don't know what this is about, but I did while looking it up see that it's uh, it is Emma Thompson and then the guy from the young Guy from Bad Sisters are together in a movie and they're sitting in front of a bed. So I wonder if it's gonna be like a what do they call it? A winter, a winter spring relationship?
Speaker 2: I didn't know what it was winter winter, two seasons right after each other.
Speaker 1: So anyway, I'll be interested in how that is. I love you, goodbye.
Speaker 2: Great Well, here's my prediction. What so I'm April in your March. That's fine. I don't get it. I don't understand it's regular. Okay, ready mm hmmm, hello Sienna, Leanna remember me. Yes, I'm about good luck to you, Leo grand Grand. I don't know anything about this besides Emma Thompson and a little young hobby are in it, and I assume they bang and good for her. Yeah, it must be nice. Jealous, I predict. Oh, I hope I have a fun time. Love you bye. I.
Speaker 1: I guess I'm not talking about it yet. We have to wait.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, all right.
Speaker 1: I just want to know your general vibe, your general vibe before we get into it in a bit.
Speaker 2: My general vibe is I have a lot of appreciation and time for this film, and I think I'm severely sexually repressed, and you.
Speaker 1: I definitely I was waiting for it to become less lame at certain times. There's a lot of things I really liked for what they were going for, But when it got to the very end and then they were having a really fun time like doing it, I was like, this is what I thought we were going to be doing more of the time. So so anyway, I just wanted her to be I wanted her to be getting down. That's kind of the whole point is that she's talking about it for a long time, which I also think is great, like the we'll talk about all the conversation and stuff I thought were very real, very lovely there were certain things that went kind of came back around to being not appropriate.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: Anyway, all right, all right, general vibes, okay.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, much to discuss my firsty girl, Hey girl, welcome back.
Speaker 1: Thanks, welcome back from your grande tour by grande tour across the real grande.
Speaker 2: Ooh, oh my god god. And we haven't really spoken.
Speaker 1: No, I've spoken.
Speaker 2: We've handled a few tax things. Oh my god. You had coffee with my parents.
Speaker 1: I had.
Speaker 2: You were in my parents'.
Speaker 1: Home with your parents and they're listening right now. Hello, Hello to JB and Ann. Thank you so much again for hosting me. Your father picked me up and brought me back home. It was okay. You've been in my dad's car. I've been in your dad's car. I've been in that Ford vehicle. I guess not your childhood home because you know they're later.
Speaker 2: But I've been all around.
Speaker 1: I've seen all the art.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, what were your takeaways?
Speaker 1: First impressions, last impressions.
Speaker 2: Let's hear see.
Speaker 1: Some of the color scheme really was very Leanna, and I thought that was so cute. There was like a boy's edge mm hmm.
Speaker 3: That was nice. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Really that cool kinetic art piece in the bathroom that was like a little wooden Oh yeah, did you like that guy going like, eh, I loved it. I loved that guy.
Speaker 3: Great.
Speaker 1: There was some gorgeous art. There was the the the these western landscapes with these little foxes downstairs.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, loved I think might even be a coyote.
Speaker 1: Coyote makes more sense, coyote.
Speaker 2: Oh how fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had a delightful time.
Speaker 2: There is a lot of art.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right, you guys have a lot of art. Yeah, geez, it was amazing. It was everything I dreamed.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's so how fun. Cianna was passing through Denver, Colorado on tour and she went to my parents' house. Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 1: It was awesome.
Speaker 2: Can I get something? We need hours to really digest the tour. But are there any like big bullet points, big highlights? Well, we talked, so everybody survived.
Speaker 1: We survived. To be honest, that like surviving health wise, being in the car spending that much time together actually went fine. We were in the.
Speaker 2: Car for so long that we tried to learn telepathy. Okay, and weirdly like that's the first I've heard of that happening. That's not like a like, you know, if a human's in a car for a long time. I don't know that everybody jumps straight to well time to learn. It's been enough hours.
Speaker 1: I can probably podcast going around about kids who are like literally telepathic, and we just had all these hours to listen to and then we were just sitting in the car, so we were trying to do telepathy on ourselves. But honestly, it was it was a fun way to spend our time. It was very goofy, and I feel that I'm leaving the tour much more spiritual, really get ready. Oh yeah, well yeah, I just had time. Desert will do that to you as well. So it was really nice to be in other places. And it was the context of what I was doing, Like it was very clear, very structured, and we had a very obvious stuff to do every day. So I was just focused on the show we're going to put on. But uh, there's like the urgency. The feeling of urgency in Los Angeles is unparalleled. I didn't experience it anywhere else. I'm not saying they don't have their own stuff other places, but they like must make my things happen now, must figure out what they are, must sell myself, must tell everybody. It just wasn't the same vibe. People were just coming to our shows to have a good time.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh hell nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And on the very first day that I went to these I was at one of these shows because we played there was like three musicians before us, and then we performed with a musician during his entire show. I realized that I had, in order to survive for this month, I had to become extremely zen at live music events because normally I'm just waiting till I can go home.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I understand, but I think.
Speaker 1: This is what I mean about being spiritual is I learned that I am more powerful than I think. I can sit there for longer than I think I can survive sitting in a car for more than I think, like a more elastic Wow. I give myself credit for so oh my gosh, Yeah, it was actually a really good experience to have at this moment of my life.
Speaker 2: Gosh, how very revelatory. Yeah, well I get that anyway.
Speaker 1: So those are some takeaways. Thank you very much for listening. We're gonna have to break war down, but to be honest, survived better than you would think. The survival.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad to hear it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I used to being squeezed into small spaces and stuff. Just yea, a tall middle child.
Speaker 2: Oh that's just pictured that as the cover of a children's book. Just now, that's a tall little child.
Speaker 1: The tall middle child.
Speaker 2: And you're always on a road trip in the back of like a subaru, a mid sized sedan of some sort. Hey girl, hey girl, Okay, this girl got her visa.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that girl crazy.
Speaker 2: I got my visa this week. We signed a two year lease on our of our We renewed our our lease on our flat for two more years.
Speaker 1: Right because Eliza also got it right.
Speaker 2: Yes, my flatmate got there visa and thank god it's We feel such relief. And I've been experiencing joy over the past like three.
Speaker 1: Weeks, which is very odd.
Speaker 2: Feels anachronistic in these times and selfish and also necessary.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 2: It's confusing, and also you got to take the winds where you get them. It's also British summertime.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: We did daylight saving this past weekend, so the sun is out, the.
Speaker 1: Sun isn't here.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, it's crazy. There's something very like ft about living in a place that has really dark gray winters. Yeah, there's something really eft about how much I like that because of the stark relief that it throws the spring and summer into when they finally happen.
Speaker 1: I get it. I was thinking the other day about how much my life revolves around relief. I love the feeling of relief.
Speaker 2: Hey, speaking of can I check in about how the fiber coordination went on the tour?
Speaker 1: When I saw my dad, he was like, your listeners want to know where you stopped up? Yeah, and the coordination was successful. Yes, I had no issues, which, honest, my god, I can't.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 1: I really set my mind to it. I got in that car the very first day and I was like, I just can't let myself become miserable.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I'm just like, well, and oh, right now, currently, what's happening? Currently? Right now? I finally allowed myself to order hair products online. Wow, instead of making myself go to a specific store that would have this specific product because in my head, I'm like, well it's more carbon whatever, take the bus somewhere whatever, and it's a less wasteful packaging. Something I ordered this Thursday night. There was a promo code on the website that gave you free delivery, so I picked one day delivery. It arrived this afternoon and it's in my hair now, and I was like, huh, that really was beneficial. My life has benefited from that greatly, And that's that's interesting going. These are the products that I used to use in La. So I'm having a lot of olfactory memory because my hair smells now like it did when I lived in La. Wow, Like I was ready for us to do a walk around the block in West Hollywood to warm up for the pot. You know, I might re enter a slut era, which I wasn't in in La but I was hoping to be at a time when you smelled that you thought I'm about to be a slut Yes, genuinely, yes. So let's see.
Speaker 1: Let's see that mixed with this movie.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm. Honestly, I think the two in combo in concert with one another, putting them in a dialogue with one another. The film and my hair product. It's going to launch you, Oh my god. Okay, let's get into it. Let's launch into Sienna. Could you please give us a synopsis of good luck to you, Leo Grand Grand.
Speaker 1: Yes, good luck to you, Leo Grant. Emma Thompson hires a sex worker to learn what more life has to offer sexually. She ends up learning a lot more than that the end.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, the movie takes place pretty much just in a hotel room.
Speaker 1: Almost the whole time. The only two characters are these guys until sort of the last scene. We don't see we're talking to anyone else about anything. They're just having conversations, some of which are really interesting and some of which I'd say they toggle between interesting and important and preachy and a.
Speaker 2: Kind of lame.
Speaker 1: That's what.
Speaker 2: Okay, hmm, it's a very gorgeous Irish man in your bed right now.
Speaker 1: You've got three minutes to enjoy that. We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: But okay, let's take Emma Thompson. They could put her in anything. Oh, let's do our phone, let's do well, everybody, let's talk about the movie.
Speaker 1: If you may remember our podcast Toss Popcorn from Notes, this is where we talk about the notes we took on our phones while watching the film.
Speaker 2: MMMM, and the film that Sienna in your voice recording you called good.
Speaker 1: Luckily, Luckily, O good luck and I love. On a great note, you've said, I'm sorry, but a man humming is unsettling.
Speaker 2: The film opens in darkness with a man humming quietly to himself, and I said, oh, a serial killer. Hmmmmmmmmmmm, yeah, that's I don't Why are you humming? It did not come up again as a man.
Speaker 1: Why are you humming what you have to hum about as a man? Why would you be humming?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I have a big thing about that with as a man. Why are you five foot nine? We can't be the same height, be something else, be.
Speaker 1: Any other height. I of course disagree, but I can't say don't I disagree with that, but of course disagree. I think five eight is the perfect height for man I want. And I'm happy for you that that's how you feel. There are parts of this movie where I was just I was. I found myself being disappointed at certain things, which I'll comment on your next note. Actually that you've said this walked so baby girl could run, and I just I was waiting for this movie to be more daring. I know that's not what it was, but just even a little bit, just a little bit more like you know, they don't they show her naked at the very last second, and if it's like as if it's like a big prize that we all want, when I'm like, just show her naked, like, just let her be naked.
Speaker 2: But I get this, it's interesting. I get this is Yeah.
Speaker 1: But I will say I loved how Emma Thompson played everything because though I think if this had been the script had been given to somebody else, it might have been quite flat. She she is just such a good actress. I really also like her being scared and nervous and all the things like that was all very real and very like. Yeah, she she portrays those like human The stress of wanting to do something but not wanting to was like the whole thing. So I did love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I see Ia. You noted. Oh they're sitting and talking.
Speaker 1: Hmm.
Speaker 2: I guess this is gonna be the movie.
Speaker 1: You know what?
Speaker 2: Did you think it was just gonna be like a two hour fuck fest? Was that what you were thinking?
Speaker 1: I guess I thought it would be. I didn't think much. I thought there would be okay, certain scenes I could have imagined in this, and I don't want, like, this is what it was, so I'm not saying it should have done this instead. I just when I was expecting it would be more of like, you know, she experiences something tastefully, we don't have to see it, but then it's her with her girlfriends being like, have you ever been eating out before? You wanted it to be sex In the city, She and her three other friends are sitting at brunch, their normal brunch spot where they meet up every episode. They say, have you ever been eaten up before? And they all discuss it. One of them is roprude about it, yeah, the other does it all the time.
Speaker 2: That's what I wanted. And the fourth one's a lesbian. Yeah right.
Speaker 1: I literally think that is kind of what I was imagining. But I just I guess I'm a little bit. I really love what's happening culturally about us, like showing older women and talking about what it's like to age and still he experienced sexuality, Like how do we show that? But like showing it in movies and just the way like society treats you, blah blah blah, all this stuff. I'm glad that we're we're uh, we are reckoning with it now in movies. Yeah, but I just was like, it's Emma Thompson. Let her be brave, let her just boldly bone, let us see all the like nudity we see with older women too. Are that I've been and I need to, I haven't. I don't watch I don't watch that many nude movies, so maybe I don't know.
Speaker 2: But you know the genre nude movie, they're like they only ever showed them where they like look as young as possible and stuff. Yeah, I mean when it's like Nicole Kidman yeaheah, it's like, okay.
Speaker 1: Great, we've made sure to bring a person who, like their entire career, they have to look as young as possible. So since she like just looks a little bit more her age, and that was like sort of the point, just like a little bit episode. Yeah, I'm like, yeah, get down to it. But that's like a separate thing from who her character is, which is like totally easing in. So I was conflicted about that point. I just I guess I got bothered when it felt like the movie felt whoever put the movie out, like Disney plus felt like really proud of itself. You know. That was like, let this woman get fingered.
Speaker 2: Oh, my god, that is really interesting. I didn't feel any of that at all, really, I really yeah, well, I hm. For a lot of it, I was like, oh, this is my autobiography, and then watching a biopic like looking in the mirror, So I think all of her feelings of like fear and shame and not like cowardice, but like feeling like she is a coward, and then judging herself for that. All of that stuff I was really resonating with. Yeah, and just that concept of like this thing that you've wanted for so long, but having so much fear around it and not even knowing what it is that you really want from it, or like what aspects of it are the ones that you want. Yeah, all of that and so like as a result all of the scenes being like nothing actually really happening until kind of like the third meeting.
Speaker 3: I was like, yeah, yeah, yeah, I think her behavior felt until I would say the third meeting, I think her behavior.
Speaker 2: I was like, yes, I think this is exactly what I would be doing. Also, particularly when she was like my son is so boring. I love that. I love how she hated her kids. I was like, man, that is how I would feel because I'd be damn sure to raise a boy who is not a murderer, Like it's just not evil, not an evil man. But as a result, he would probably turn out to be pretty boring.
Speaker 1: She's like, I just don't think he's that cool. I don't know. Yeah, yeah, there are a lot of things like I liked him. I feel like that's a good example too, of how that generation got kind of screwed uncertain, like she like had to. She might not have wanted to be a mom that bad. She doesn't live, you know. But she's like, yeah, this is what I was supposed to do. I'm supposed to get married, I'm supposed to just like be with this man. He got to decide what sex was for us. I never really got to feel comfortable or safe like exploring anything. I felt like that was all really beautiful and real.
Speaker 3: Also, I like.
Speaker 1: That they do even though there was like a few things going that's the whole point of the movie. There's like many things going on. They talk about sex work, they talk about being older, they talk about like being scared about sex. They talk about like trying to make sex fun and it being hard, and like all this very real stuff. I found myself getting mad about some of the like be brave about showing older women, but at the same time, like the fact that it's just a movie that talks about sex is being scary for someone who's not just like sixteen and then does it in the next episode type of thing, you know what I mean. Like, I really appreciated that because it's like it is a big it's a big topic with so many feelings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they just.
Speaker 1: Like regard it as such even though she's like, yeah, I've had my life and I've like been doing it or whatever, but I still feel like I know nothing totally.
Speaker 2: And I think like the act of it being scary, and then also the concept of asking for what you want being such a scary thing. And it doesn't have to be like specifically sexually, but just that idea of like, I do think I want this, This is something I need and I would like you to provide that for me is something I particularly non men, are so socialized into not doing. So it felt groundbreaking in some ways. It definitely felt it felt like kind of the beginner level of conversation, particularly around sex work. I think, yeah, which I feel like it kind of had to be like it just was there's no way this was going to get like made by a studio without having like the entry level very basic, yes convos nothing to advanced, you know, which.
Speaker 1: They had about a lot of things, like I called all the girls in my class sluts and he was like, you shouldn't.
Speaker 2: Do that, and she's like, yeah, well I guess, I guess I'm sorry that I called you a slut.
Speaker 1: But yeah, we're thinking that this could appeal to many generations of people. This is actually, you know, the beginner level should be out there and maybe we don't need people getting slammed and pounded the whole time.
Speaker 2: This is so I feel like we've switched getting slammed and pounded.
Speaker 1: Isn't that weird?
Speaker 2: I was surprised too. Is this is this because you're more spiritual now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've become more spiritual, and I just I'm open to it. No, It's like I get when when things feel really proud of themselves, I like can get really turned off. And I'm not saying that's how they were the whole time, but like at the end they showed and I it was both the moment where she felt more free to like try things, which is great. But also I felt the movie being like, but you didn't think we'd show that, And I was like, you could have done it, you could, but but it's just also just because I was deciding to be mad at that at the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, sure, yeah, Oh, ci Ia, you wrote little bush foreshadowing.
Speaker 1: Do you remember this at all? I thought of you because she said the word bush she was talking about she was telling a story. It actually might have been the story where she talked about like the sexually exciting.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, in Italy or Greece or wherever, and she was by a little bush.
Speaker 1: She was like, that was a little bush.
Speaker 2: And I was like, oh, well, ironically there was no bush at the end, I know, and I said, oh my god, which I also was, well, well, now I'm behind de brave, be brave, let her have a bush. But I was surprised. Oh, okay, ci Any, you noted I am disturbed by how bright it is at any given time feels like a new Hayze code.
Speaker 1: Were you noticing how bright it was?
Speaker 2: I was? I was, And I was confused by that because they kept saying tonight, now, in fairness, if this was all during the summer, the sun doesn't set until like nine pm, so if they're meeting at like seven a seven to nine window, it will be pretty bright outside. But absolutely no, I feel like it was on purpose to kind of like it's it's it's an interestingly unsexy film, and that's the point, right, And I feel like it not ever having like mood lighted point is part of that because it makes it makes all of it feel a little You're just less relaxed about it the whole time, and it feels a little bit internetle sometimes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it was.
Speaker 2: Was it dark at the end, Yeah, it was darker at the end.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. Oh so maybe it was a choice. Maybe it was a cinematic choice. I just like never grew darker. It made me so uncomfortable. Yeah, but again, that's that's actually pretty effective then. Just like what I did like about it being bright is that I liked the idea that she booked it super super early so that they could spend the entire evening, which is good because if I were in some sort of sexual situation that had a time around it, I would feel so stressed.
Speaker 2: Oh sure, but I wanted to talk about how they when we have two hours oh crap. I imagine on the first one. God, I'd be under deress. I mean the way she made a list and was like, we've got a lot to get to me. I love to do this than this, than this and this, and she was like, I don't want to do it out of order. I'd like to do it. There was just so much that I was like, uh huh, yeah.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: And she was like achievable goals, Like I'll take something off my to do list just because I know I'm not going to do it that day.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that way, it's not it's not actually on the list. I do need to do it still, but I don't have to look at it.
Speaker 1: There was some scene where she was giving some impassioned speech, like talking about her kids or something, and then she puts a cushion on the ground and just gets on her knees. She can give you a low job. If that really made me a laugh, Yeah, I am a I am a turty.
Speaker 2: Oh I am a turt I'm a dirty old PERV every now and again. Oh my gosh, great question, Sienna. You wrote his mom walked in on him having group sex and then she disowned him.
Speaker 1: Okay. I also right, they really lost me with this.
Speaker 2: Meeting number three. I really was like, wait, they.
Speaker 1: Were both being insane.
Speaker 2: She was being insane.
Speaker 1: I literally wrote down she was being insane. Oh yeah, like you said to be fair to him, she was being insane in that scene when she goes I found you.
Speaker 2: I found you on the when she goes let me talk to your mother, let me explain to her. And I was like, girl, you're being in that.
Speaker 1: That's not no, Yeah, I found that whole. It was a weird thing where they've been talking about sex work and stuff the entire time, like being very gentle and informative about it to viewers who we know much. But then like the fact that this character kind of I know that it's supposed to be a big breach of trust and they chose the right thing, but I'm not even sure they gave the right amount of weight to it. The fact that she like completely disregarded his boundaries, which are incredibly important in sex work. Something that is like can be so safe space, Like to say that you found his thing is like he should actually never come back ever again. Yeah, because that's just so not okay.
Speaker 2: She's like, what, what's the big jail.
Speaker 1: But anyway, I get why they chose that. I just don't know if they.
Speaker 2: I was so problematic about that. I was like, why would you put your own name on your company's house? Listen, that is your dumb idiot.
Speaker 1: But it's just like that puts him in said, it's so creepy. It juststurbed me. That scene really disturbed me.
Speaker 2: It was it was odd.
Speaker 1: It was odd.
Speaker 2: I get that there had to be some sort of like conflict, yeah, exactly, Like, wow.
Speaker 1: They chose really like a really tough one.
Speaker 2: It was pretty extreme. Yeah, because what.
Speaker 1: Would be the thing that makes him leave when he's like delivering a fantasy and patient if she and he's getting paid to be there and be emotionally laboris but uh, it would be her literally like breaking the contract basically, I guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But yeah, that scene didn't didn't quite work for me.
Speaker 1: That was it's like you said, it was like they built this perfectly respectful space and they had to figure out how to break it, and it just had to make both of them be ins.
Speaker 2: Insane, just a little insane. Both went crazy and like they both are really goods, so they did their best with it. But exactly.
Speaker 1: That's the thing about these British actors sometimes are uh or I guess he's careful. These excellent actors, I should say, I just associate other places with being better actors. But true, yeah, they have to sell it no matter what, even if the script didn't give them on the stuff they needed. Yeah, are you a dirty old pervert? I bet you're not. We talk about that more in a few minutes. We'll be right back. Yeah, Leanna, you have said I am not appropriate.
Speaker 2: I just was experiencing my own things in that last scene where you noted more boning against walls, more of this. This should have been the movie. I don't completely agree. I was happy it happened. I don't think it.
Speaker 1: Should have been the whole for talking about it. I don't agree either, But at.
Speaker 2: The time I was like whoa, yeah, and for the listener, she's swinging her arms as if she's about to last so something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've become very western.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, you of course you've been immersed.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it was bringing up I just when people are freely boning, I'm a little bit like, could stop. That's not appropriate, which is my own thing. That's on me.
Speaker 1: Well, the rhythm of the movie was weird. I think we both can kind of observed and it was maybe by design, but the rhythm was like very uncomfortable, very uncomfortable, and then extremely comfortable after being comfortable, completely insane.
Speaker 2: So it I guess they had to like bond over being insane and that brought them closer.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was happy for her, though, Damn, I mean, what a scene, what a what a montage?
Speaker 1: Yes, we'll have to talk about it in trage is my greatest trage for this movie is and this is the place. I think they probably did a bunch of different versions of the orgasm moment and then edit it.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm, because I'm just f was edited.
Speaker 1: I'm sure they're like, she should do it herself, and I'm like, love, Yeah, I did love that they didn't give it enough of a moment for me, And then I wish at the end they just like been like did you did you? She's like I did, and then they're like whoa and dance around.
Speaker 2: That's where I'm like, here's the other thing that you have to remember is that she's British and he's Irish. They're never gonna exhibit that much emotion.
Speaker 1: I just it was the whole point and they barely do it. I was waiting for it to be so fun.
Speaker 2: Anyway, So yes, and now having lived in Britain for two years, I was like, yeah, like, there's absolutely no way that's about how that would go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so funny. I thought it would be a perfect way to kind of close is like, to make the point they were trying to make about like, I know it's a lot, but you can relax if you want, if you feel comfortable and it's nice, it can be fun. But the city's like was that and she's like.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm, okay, okay.
Speaker 1: It was such a bummer to me, it was such a wow.
Speaker 2: I just did not feel that way. How interesting.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm glad to have discussed it because I do feel I still wis they should I still think they should have high fived. But that's the American in me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you were watching this through an American lens. You were trying to Americanize this.
Speaker 1: And Americans love high fives. Yeah. Your final note is Academy Award for Emma Thompson. Thank you. I agree.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's discuss. Let's discuss the full frontal nudity scene, because it seems like you had negative opinions.
Speaker 1: I kind of I was more i'd say disappointed. I wasn't mad. I was disappointed, But I don't even want to make this wrong of a stance before hearing your take on it, because it wasn't It was just like.
Speaker 2: What I want to hear more like when you say, like the movie felt like it was proud of itself for doing that, Like what gives you that?
Speaker 1: Where?
Speaker 4: Where?
Speaker 1: Where do you get that impression from the fact that they.
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 1: When I step back and really think about it as art, because sometimes it does take me a while to process movies like this, Like again, it was a choice, like even thinking about it now, the idea that she like that they didn't, that the movie didn't show stuff at first and did it the end could be seen as she has finally she finally feels comfortable even looking at herself. Hmmmm hmmm, which makes sense. But the way I was reading it while watching was that they were like, we don't want to scare people off with too much raw experience of like a woman's body, so we're going to wait till the end and people are going to be wowed. That's how I was thinking about it, I think. But now, even just like rolling it around in my mind after we've discussed this and thinking of it as as if none of this is I was really kind of maybe because with the music and everything, it did feel like sort of a movie that was created really with the viewers in mind, more than more than just like art for art's sake. It felt like it was Maybe my assumption was that it was pandering in some way to something, and maybe that's why I'm being so hard on it. But thinking about it now is more of like just literally if I'm taking it as art from her perspective, that's about her. It makes sense that it was bright and uncomfortable because she was uncomfortable, and then they didn't show her body because she's like, I don't like my body, I don't feel comfortable, I don't feel free, and then at the end she's finally free. So I've maybe just actively changed my tune. It does make more sense, but that's okay. Well, that gives a little bit more clarity for why I was feeling frustrated. It felt like it was like, we're gonna show you at the end. For a second, because you guys can't handle seeing a woman's body for that long m you know what I mean, unless it's like men getting exploitative joy out of it.
Speaker 2: It felt like disappointingly and not disappointing on the film's part, but on society's part, uh, groundbreaking because at the very end of like she orgasms for the first time, they say they're goodbye, he leaves, and then she takes off her robe and just looks at her naked body in the mirror, and it's like, it's a body. It's just a human body. Yeah, it's a human body, but it doesn't fit like the exact mold of the bodies that we are always seeing on screen, especially for women.
Speaker 1: We see it on screen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't see that. You don't see like a body over thirty five. Yeah, you don't see a body that's like loose in any way or has been through childbirth. Like you just are not seeing those things. And so I thought it was like, ugh, I think this word is so gross around like the female form. But it was brave in that way because it was you're just not you don't see that ever. Yeah, it's ever.
Speaker 1: It's really interesting you're saying that and hearing my perspective because even though I'm like trying to my anger is coming from the same place of like that we don't see this very often. I'm like, oh, you think you're brave, But the reason i even feel like it's brave is because I'm not used to seeing it, you know what i mean, So like I'm getting got by the same societal like she's just a person looking at her body. But it's like, oh, you're doing the brave thing.
Speaker 2: Now, you know.
Speaker 1: It's like it literally just.
Speaker 2: Is the wok left over here?
Speaker 1: Yeah, anyway, it is I see weird that you don't like, especially in American film as well. I feel like they're really.
Speaker 2: True any any sort of like what would be perceived as imperfection bodies.
Speaker 1: You know, you're used to just seeing at the gym.
Speaker 2: You know they aren't.
Speaker 1: They're everywhere. They're like human bodies, but yeah, never on that you never see them on screen, like, and they're so surprising to me that I was like, you know, felt all these things around it of like are you doing this to be to be like because you because because you're trying to make a point, or like why is this you know that's so interesting too, because I feel like it's it's intended to be her.
Speaker 2: She's not like seeing herself. And I watched some interviews with Emma Thompson about this movie after it, and she talks about that scene and she's like, it's not like the character is seeing herself for the first time and being like, God, I'm gorgeous. I'm just like, God, I'm so gorgeous. She's just like finally kind of accepting her body and like at peace with it. And so there's a lot of like neutrality in that scene. But it's interesting that it causes us to feel so many things.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, that's such a good point. Anyway, Wow, I'm really glad to discussed this film. Oh my gosh, this was like a book club. Well the auto. Let's go to our badges and trages. Yes, please, My trauges are all going to still be about high fiving, which I do stand.
Speaker 2: By American trages. Welcome to Badges and Trages. Our segment where we award badges for body neutrality. Perhaps we're are we at with the body neutrality movement? Are we are?
Speaker 1: We?
Speaker 2: Is that the right one? Okay?
Speaker 1: I think it's the right one.
Speaker 2: I don't the one that we're doing now. But yeah, true and trages.
Speaker 1: For trying to adhere to purity culture.
Speaker 2: Oh, I have a badge for ninety seven minutes.
Speaker 1: Badge for that too. Yes, the length of film should be I completely agree, like a long episode of television. Yeah. Badge for Emma Thompson. I also have a badge for Emma Thompson. Yes, she really did a wonderful job. I really did enjoy her performance. Oh my gosh, she's so human and funny and delightful to watch. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I have a badge for Loel preparing cheek when they first meet and he's like, can I kiss you on the cheek, And she's like, oh, yes, that would be nice, and then she kind of prepares her cheek to receive a kiss.
Speaker 1: I loved that. I have a badge for how unenthused she is about her kids or talking about them just honestly like people. Yeah, she's like, they're the best thing ever. She's like, he turned out pretty well, but I don't really like hanging out with him.
Speaker 2: He's so land my Oh. My last badge is during their their their boning montage at the end when they're trying to do kind of like doggy style with like a leg up on the bed or something and just like I can't balance like this, I can't, this isn't working. Yeah, I loved that. I just love those little like real moments. This is in between like oh, they're having great sex. Cool, but then there are certain things where it's like, oh, I have a cramp, like my hip pert like we gotta move around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, clunkiness and talking about it is part of it. Uh. Yeah, I have a badge for just like the actual issues she's talking about beyond just like she has the stuff of like being older and feeling like ah, like a feeling like I didn't get to be fulfilled in this way, but literally simply just like she hasn't had an orgasm. Yeah, that's like normal and like hopefully hopefully you definitely want with sex with her partner that she'd have been satisfied or whatever, but like just the fact that your bodies don't always do things that you want them to do, or like that people have different experiences and stuff, Like I really liked all of that that she or that she's had sex for a long time but never done a lot of sexual things she wants to do you know, Like, I think that's actually a way more common experience than people talk about, you know, like there's just a sort of like, I don't know, yeah, feeling that like you've done it, you've done it all. But I think there's a lot more satisfaction exploration to be had, and like maybe you're not comfortable about it with everybody, but some people, you know, I don't know. I think that the actual crux of everything they were talking about was really important and awesome because it's so true.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: And then my final badge is it's an orgrasm. It's not a Faberge egg.
Speaker 2: That reminded me of I was rewatching White Lotus season two on the plane back from my cousin's wedding in the States. Uh huh, and the grandfather played by f Marie Abraham goes, it's a penis. It's not a sunset. That's just a fun structure, so funny. It's an orgasm, not a Faberge egg. Tradges, trages. Sorry, my trages are going to be some of the lame things I said. For example, trage number one, brightest movie of all time.
Speaker 1: I hated that. I did hate it, but I get it effectively made me feel uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: I think that's fair. What time of day did you watch it?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Evening and I watched it during the day, like ten ams. Sense maybe it just felt they could fit right.
Speaker 1: Instancy of brightness was it felt like it felt like severance or something. It's like, what's going on? Oh?
Speaker 2: Interesting? Yes, I have a trage for not the cut to batter Sea power Station at their first meeting. At the end of it, they kiss and then it kind of pans out the window or it cuts straight to an exterior shot of batter Sea Power Station in London, and I was like, what, huh so strange? Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: Leanna, oh Lena, Yes, oh Leanna, I have a trage.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's hear it, Sianna.
Speaker 1: I have a trage for. Oh. Their fight where she goes insane is actually like really not okay? Yeah, the boundary breaks. I was like, no, don't no, no, no, no, no, God when she called him Connor, I guess yes, it's like that is not appropriate, Emma no.
Speaker 2: And it didn't seem like she was getting it. I mean, I think she kind of got it by the end, but oh, it's crazy. It was so my next trage, I guess, okay, I also had a trage for that. I had a trage as well for I think I struggled with his character because he just didn't feel like a real He felt like an angel he was.
Speaker 1: Which I get. When she was like, you're like a sex saint, I was like, yeah, he is what he's like.
Speaker 2: In an interview she was like, he plays a sex worker, but he's really more of like a sex car yeah, which I thought was kind of a nice like way to describe that the work, but.
Speaker 1: I just, yeah, I was like, who is this?
Speaker 2: And I get also, maybe that's just because that's what you're supposed to feel, because he's like selling you something. He's playing Leo Grand He's not actually like being a three dimensional He's not supposed to be that. That's not his job in that setting. But then in meeting three, when he did become real and was doing his backstory, I was like, huh, I.
Speaker 1: Had an orgy and my mother kicked me out.
Speaker 2: She said I was she'd said that's the day I die.
Speaker 1: I do think I think that's a good trag. There's something like the fact that this movie's trying to respect that his line of work requires him to be some level of anonymous. Didn't make it confusing, as they tried to also make him like a full person while the movie just took place in one room, like they're not supposed to tell all about him.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I'm sorry. I do have to give another a late badge, a belated badge, uh, for the fact that the movie took place all in one room. I really like movies where it's like there's two people in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I thought that was really interesting and fun. Yeah, it was like a bottle episode, and I hate bottle episodes on television. I'm normally like to me, no, I want to see the plot progress, please, But if the whole thing is bottle, great.
Speaker 1: I have a trudge for I really wish the orgasm had been more fun.
Speaker 2: Uh, not the thing.
Speaker 1: Itself, just afterwards. I just because they did a little dance scene earlier. I wish they'd been like, yeah, chutchy, chutch we did we did. We didn't we did it to make it like to have some levity around it, when I felt like a big point of the movie was to find levity, and I don't expect them to like force that but I felt like that would be a really non forced moment to just have a like cute mmm you know thing. Anyway, that was.
Speaker 2: That's a see my personal taste. Oh, I love that. That's so funny.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like me saying like they should have eaten a hot dog right after. Like, I understand this is a very mean thing. I understand this is very memo that I.
Speaker 2: Like you high fiving after sex sometimes. Yeah, okay, that's cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that team teamwork makes the dream work, you know. I know it's very mean to think that a high five would be the perfect culmination of a would I know that.
Speaker 2: This sixty three year old British woman, this English woman, has an orgasm for the first time in her life, and naturally the thing she does is go for a high five on top.
Speaker 1: I know you're there. I think I'm right.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna let you keep thinking that you are wrong, but feel free to keep thinking that it can't be.
Speaker 1: It would have been insane.
Speaker 2: My final trage is a trade for her name is Missus Robinson. That was crazy, that made me, That annoyed me so much, crazy reveal and I know they like pointed out they try to like, oh, missus Robinson cute, and I was like, oh, shut up. Also, don't reference the graduate during this film where and Bankruft is what like thirty nine in that movie, Oh my gosh, yeah yeah, and they're like, oh, this ancient woman is old woman.
Speaker 1: She literally just like is from the era where they didn't wear sunscreen. She's like twenty nine. Yeah. My final trudge was just for the moment where she talks to a waiter about how this guy's tongue is is actually not appropriate behavior as a client. You have to leave the restaurant now, ye have to. You know, it's it's a movie.
Speaker 2: It is what it is. That's Amory.
Speaker 1: That's Samory.
Speaker 2: Yeah, lean because we have more, Yes, yeah, we have more. There's more podcast. Yes, this is how to pretend you've seen this film.
Speaker 1: This is for you.
Speaker 2: Are in a Hilton, a hotel restaurant, and you're you're just waiting and trying to think through some stuff, and every server in the restaurant keeps coming up to you saying do you need anything? Can I get you anything? Can I get you anything? I'm okay, sorry, think I'm okay, And then seconds later, can I get you anything?
Speaker 1: No no, no, no no, I'm okay. I'm okay. Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Can I get you anything? No? No, no, no no, I'm okay.
Speaker 1: I'm okay, okay.
Speaker 2: Can I get you anything?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: You know, while I'm here, this actually is this is so funny. This reminds me of a movie I saw. It's called good Luck to You, Leo Grand. Let me tell you thought, you know, I'm going to get you something and also I'm going to tell you all about this movie right now.
Speaker 1: And in order to stop, uh, the entire staff of this of this hotel from telling you about the film, uh, instead, we're going to give you a few things that you can say to pretend you've seen the movie good Luck to You Leo Grand.
Speaker 2: Yes, wait, staff, I've seen good Luck to You Leo Grand. And in order to send you away, I'm gonna say some of my favorite lines from their incredibly awkward first encounter. To make you feel so uncomfortable that you have to leave you Enjoy music by people.
Speaker 1: That is so real.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say that on my next first day. Enjoy music by people.
Speaker 1: Yes, entire weight staff, I have seen the film good Luck to You Leo Grand. Here's some fun facts. The film was shot within nineteen days, with an average of twelve pages per day. Oh my gosh, whoa. It really felt like it would be. It was probably a really cheap movie to make, except for paying Emma Thompson. Emma, but you literally just rent a hotel room and pay Emma Thompson.
Speaker 2: Bing bang boom itemized budget done. Yes, Waite staff, I have seen good luck to you, Leo Grand and then the white staff says to me, let's move to you, and I say, okay, Oh god. She's like, tell me about yourself. He's like, tell me about you and she's like, oh oh no, oh god, oh god, that's so how I'm gonna be.
Speaker 1: I loved that her whole vibe.
Speaker 2: Oh god, just panic, no, no, sheer, bloody panic.
Speaker 1: I thought the blowjob thing was all actually really lovely and beautiful and yeah, she's like, so like I have to do this. He's like, you don't have to. She's like, I want to.
Speaker 2: I want to. I have to. I have to because I want to, and if I don't a coward.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Really nice. It was actually really complex. That was like you can try it if you want to, and if you don't like it like you don't have to do it again, and it's just like there's you have to like it when you try it much tied up in the fact that it's like you're supposed to like it, and there's it's like whatever, And I just I thought that was like, I don't know this movie really yeah, succeeded in that way.
Speaker 2: Yes, wait, staff, stop coming up to me. Oh you've come up so much. I have to I've spilled my coffee on my jacket and I have to go change and they say, don't change too much.
Speaker 1: Can I say? Oh god, aha, I love that. I loved that.
Speaker 2: Oh god, oh god, oh my yeah, oh okay, uh yes, wait stuff, I have seen the film.
Speaker 1: I have seen the film.
Speaker 2: Good luck Leo.
Speaker 1: Emma Thompson said that she trimmed her pubic hair in preparation for the full frontal nudity scene. She says, I greatly regret the demise of the full Bush. She explained, I did once do the full thing years and years ago, but really I regret it because they've never quite grown back to my liking. Whoa, but that's also getting old, okay, Yes, Emma Thompson on Bush.
Speaker 2: Full Bush Ambassador Emma Thompson. Well, it must be an actor during the two thousands. Oh god, Oh, I can't imagine stripped to hell. I mean, if that's what people's eyebrows look like today, imagine the bush anyway, fucked.
Speaker 1: The fact that this movie gave me hearing about Emma Thompson talking about bush is really a real win.
Speaker 2: In Portante the day passed a road called Holy Bush Lane.
Speaker 1: If you want to hear more about this, go check out the trivia because there's actually a lot and it's pretty lovely.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, Sienna, let's do should you watch this or our segment where we tell the listener if we think you should watch this movie or if you should do something else with your bush ooh, Leanna, you go first. I think this is a worthwhile watch. I think there are parts of it that don't completely land, and I think meeting number three everybody's being insane during but Emma Thompson is just a treat. I think the acting and it is really good. I think there's a lot of like very beautiful vulnerability and conversations that are not that are only just starting to be had. And I think this is one of the things that is kickstarting that and I really do believe that this movie walked so that baby girl could run. Yes, that's what I would say. How about you, Siena, I would say.
Speaker 1: You could watch this movie if you are looking for all the things that we discussed, which I think is great. There were definitely moments I felt let down because I was, for some reason expecting something else. So what you could do is watch this movie and know that it's its thing, which is actually quite lovely and I and I thought was pretty special. So I would recommend that. But then also, in addition, if you're craving some other thing, watch Sex in the City right after, and you'll have the whole You'll have the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want you to write a fan fic of Nancy from good Luck to Leo Grand going to brunch with the girlies I tried to get right after he rendezvous. Yeah yeah, Oh, Sianna, what would you rate the film good Luck to You Leo Grand.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna give it. Uh, I'll give good Luck to you Rio Grand, Rio Grand, Leo Grand.
Speaker 2: It's happened, She's been Western nine.
Speaker 1: I will give it three refrigerated Mars bars out of five. The whole time. I was just so I was really the brightness got me. Some of the conversations that we didn't even talk about. I was like, I don't even need to hear that right now, but I get that you have to address everything. I felt like they had to address so much. But I loved the stuff about talking about like sex stress basically, but that was strangely to me, not actually the majority of the movie. So for me, it's three out of five. But I'm really glad we talked about it because I am like taking more away now thinking about it. And I love play. Yeah, I love her. She did a great job in this role. Leanna, what about yourself?
Speaker 2: I will give good luck to you, Leo grand four full bushes out of five. There was so much in it that I really really resonated with, and I also understand that not everybody will, and it's it's conversations I'm glad are happening. I thought the full frontal nudity at the end was like important and some of it just did not work, but a lot of it really did. A lot of it really did, and I'm glad that it exists.
Speaker 4: Agreed, agreed, Wow, And that's it. That's our review of the Rio grand the Rio Grande. Did you see the Rio Grande on tour Big River?
Speaker 1: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: I probably saw the Colorado River.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Did you see a river?
Speaker 1: Oh? Oh my god, I saw rivers in Austin.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, don't know. Unfamiliar with those. You're just one called like the River of America, which is in Sacramento, and I'm like, why don't get the American I bet that was man made as well. I don't like that at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's been our review of Good luck to you, Leo grand Thank you for listening. We are so back. We are also on Instagram at tossed Popcorn. We are on Patreon where you can see some bonus episodes that we put up during the break patreon dot com, slash cost Popcorn and join us next week when we will be watching.
Speaker 1: After sun.
Speaker 2: I don't know what that is me neither meybe? How did it get on this list?
Speaker 1: Hmm?
Speaker 2: Thank you, we love you.
Speaker 1: Bye. You can find us on Instagram as at Sienna Jaco and at Leona Holsten. Please check the description for the spelling of our dumb names. We put out episodes every Tuesday, so make sure to subscribe so that you don't miss an episode. See you next week on Tossed Popcorn. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, check the iHeartRadio app.