Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. So we want to take a look at gardening product maker Scott's Miracle Grow, unveiling new growth targets in its investor day today, fresh off the new CEO appointment. The company says the adjusted EPs and sales targets are part of a quote growth algorithm with lakes into twenty twenty nine, and to put a finer point on that, the company putting out those mid range financial targets for fiscal twenty twenty seven through fiscal twenty twenty nine average annual adjusted EPs growth of five to eight percent. Fresh off that investor day, right here in Studio two is the CEO and President of Scott's Miracle Grow, Nate Baxter. Great to see you, Nate.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: I know you're getting settled into the job. You had to come talk to the Wall Street wharredes. How did they treat you today?
Speaker 2: Everybody was great? Yeah. You know.
Speaker 3: The reality is I've been having conversations for the last eighteen months with our investors. So while the title has changed, the underlying strategy is still consistent with what I've been talking about for the better part of two years.
Speaker 1: Talk about the underlying strategy. When I see EPs growth a five to eight percent, that doesn't seem aggressive, but it's not necessarily low either. Are given all of the complexities going on in the world today, what gives you the confidence that you can meet that?
Speaker 3: Well, we do recognize it's sort of conservative. It's sort of in the sweet spot of a value investor. If I look at the last couple of years, we've had a lot of volatility in the markets, a lot of events between tariffs and the war in Iran that we just couldn't predict. So our point of view is we're going to be fairly conservative, but we are going to turn into a growth company. Have we believe that the underlying initiatives that we outline today are going to get us to where we need to be. But we also wanted to be honest with investors about growth. I told the team, I think we can outperform that, but our focus right now, especially from a capital allocation standpoint, is getting that leveraged down a little bit.
Speaker 1: So with regards to the growth strategy, and forget me, I don't mean to be flip about it, but when I think about the products, you see obviously iconic brand, the branded products. But that doesn't seem like a growth story unless I'm missing something.
Speaker 3: Well, I think you have to look at our a couple of ways. So we do believe there's a lot of organic growth possible. Our average house penetration is only about ten percent. So if you look at the eighty five million households out there only being penetrated by ten percent, we have a lot of organic opportunity. Now, the question is how do we convianse consumers to engage with us in our category.
Speaker 2: So I think that's one of the fundamentals.
Speaker 3: The others we know channels, consumers are shopping channels that they didn't before, you know, you come out of the pandemic. I think we had something like less than five percent of our total point of sale that was through e commerce. Now we're up to thirteen percent, three hundred BIPs alone this year. So what we're realizing is we need to go to where the consumer is, especially the younger consumer, and they're in totally different channels.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll talk to me a little bit about that, because what is sort of I mean, you talked about this at the investor, you talked about this on your earnings last week. I believe as well about digital advertising and your approach to it. What does this mean You're just making like, you know, funny things on TikTok or is it a little more sophisticated.
Speaker 3: Then no, I mean we certainly don't want to we don't want to cheap in the brands.
Speaker 2: It's more sophisticated than that.
Speaker 3: What we're recognizing is we need to meet the consumer where we are. You know, we used to be a traditional media company, buy those upfronts. You would have a fixed date, the cost was sunk, you would run it. The weather might not be great, not necessarily the right way to do your media strategy. So we've now pivoted where eighty percent of our media is digital, and it does two things that are really important. One is we get to tailor it for individual consumers, and the second thing is we get to be really agile with it. We can decide on a Monday, if the weather is not going to be good in Chicago this weekend, we can pull back or we can redirect it. So it allows us to be much more effective, and we've seen a commensurate increase in the media ROI as a result of that.
Speaker 1: Is your marketing primarily created in house or are you relying on third party?
Speaker 2: It's a hybrid. We have a for the social stuff.
Speaker 3: We'd like to do it in house because you need to be able to respond to what's happening out in the world. But we have a whole bunch of partner agencies. We don't do the traditional AOAR model. We actually pick a lot of partners and we let our people sort of direct. And it's been hit or miss. You know, We've got great agency partners. We have some that are good for a period of time and then we want to move on. But one thing, it's a little bit like AI. It's changing so quickly. We've got to be flexible with who we partner with on the initiatives.
Speaker 1: Now, talk to me about your input costs. I mean, we've seen commodity prices up, including for your REA. Obviously, it does not seem like there's going to be an end in sight right now for those to come down. With the guards and the situation in the Middle East as well as some of the other weather related factors. How have you factored that in too, that five to eight percent.
Speaker 3: So yeah, certainly, certainly been a challenge I mean, I think we talked about in our Q thre earning Q three earnings we had a little bit of a headwind this year. We absorbed most of it through costs out, but about fifteen million of it did follow the bottom line on.
Speaker 2: In Q three. For next year, we're doing a few things.
Speaker 3: One is, we've got a great team that does pretty sharp hedging and so we do he Juia diesel when it's available. But more importantly, we work on how to minimize those inputs. And we're also going to have to take some pricing this year, and that's a delicate balance. We've got to look at volume trade offs with that. But we have great relationships with our retail partners, and given we're in the mid single digit ranger pricing, we think we can figure out a way to navigate that.
Speaker 1: What's the relationship like with the retailers and where you put product versus what maybe you're trying to sell directly through your own channels.
Speaker 3: Well, let me be clear, we don't really endeavor to sell a lot directly through own channels. It's a pretty smart surrounding air for us, and it's not something we're focused on.
Speaker 2: Our lawns program.
Speaker 3: As the biggest, but our retail partners are pivoting very quickly to ECOMP. So if you look at the big three, which is what we've traditionally talked about, footsteps and those brick and mortar stores flat to down.
Speaker 2: Actually last quarter.
Speaker 3: They were slightly positive, which was a great sign to see, but they are pivoting quickly. So we are now in the mode of developing products for all of our eCOM consumers and retail partners. And that's a big part of what we've talked about today, which was innovation.
Speaker 1: I do just have to ask you, obviously, when I think of the products that you sell, it's Scott's miracle grow.
Speaker 2: I think you know you're a homeowner.
Speaker 1: You're going out into your backyard or into your front yard and applying and applying the products.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: We know that the home ownership rate has gone down. We know the turnover of homes has gone down as well. I assume that has to have a direct impact in your business. How do you compensate for the slowness that we're seeing in that space.
Speaker 3: Well, the good news is all part of how we go capture that next generation, so that next generation they are not yet homeowners. They are apartment dwellers, they have condos. So we've pivoted hard into indoor gardening, something we've always done but we haven't talked about it, and we have a whole new suite of products that came out. The other big win that we talked about at investor Day today is in the grocery aisle. We typically have not been present in the grocery aisle with our Controls products, and so we now are winning business at some of our bigger partners in the grocery aisle.
Speaker 2: That's a big deal for us.
Speaker 3: And then if you look at our partnerships, we've talked about a partnership with a small company called Murphy's. They're doing on skin natural mosquito prevention and repellent. We're finding new channels with them. So I think you know this growth story. Just to go back to what you asked me a minute earlier, it's really about getting the right products in our consumer's hands. So we've got our traditional consumer that likes the traditional product that you just mentioned, but we have the next generation consumer. They want natural, they want organic, they want things that are safe for pets and kids. That includes apartment dwellers. That includes people that aren't yet homeowners. And when I look at the home ownership I don't look at it as a win today. I look at it as it's going to be a tailwind when that dam breaks, when we start to see more turnover in the home ownership.
Speaker 2: So we don't we don't look at it as a negative.
Speaker 3: We just know that there'll be something down the road coming where we can engage that next gen consumer as they become homeowners.
Speaker 1: All right, Nate, great to have you here.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Nate. Nate Baxter there. He is the CEO and president of Scott's Miracle Growth