Speaker 1: Cool Zone Media.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to Devoured by Bugs. It's a podcast that isn't called that. I'm your host, Margaret Kiljoy, and we're not talking about that, except once again giving you strange hints at what we're talking about before we hit record. Why do you all care? Why do I think you care? Why am our guest today is Caitlin? Aren't they hy? Caitlin?
Speaker 3: Hello? Excuse me? I was burping. We got the drink of water that I had alluded to at the end of the last episode, or maybe did I say that on Mic or off Mike, I don't remember, who knows. The point is I needed some water. I brilliantly got a can of uh sparkling water.
Speaker 2: Oh, Sophie doesn't let me drink those?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, Well it's for good reason, because they will make you burp.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which you don't realize talk until your job is to talk, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, so I might be. I'm going to try really hard not to audibly because that is gross and anyone to hear me do that. So yeah, I'll do my best. But now I feel you.
Speaker 2: Know, binary cred? What's that your non binary cred?
Speaker 3: True? Yeah, I think that the burping on air on a podcast is defies gender.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I admit I don't like it, but because I'm kind of fem.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean so now I'm just gonna not ever not I'm gonna I'm gonna burp a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, not burp cast with our host Sophie.
Speaker 1: I will also not be green lighting that.
Speaker 2: It's cool people who did cool burps, cool people who did cool stuff without burping. M Yeah, we're a burp negative, We're a body function negative podcast.
Speaker 3: Now I feel shamed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, it's actually how I knew that I was transits, that I poop roses.
Speaker 3: That's beautiful.
Speaker 2: This girl's poop roses. I don't know whether I can I can't even. Oh god, all right, we're talking about surrealis who probably would have. We're gonna talk about some people who are into some fucking kind of nasty art today in a good way. Oh hell yeah, a little bit more in the sex nasty unless the fucking burp joke whatever. Sophie's our producer. Hi, Sophie Hey. Ian is our audio editor. Hi Ian, Hey Ian. Okay, and we can't continue until you say hi to Ian.
Speaker 3: Sorry I was burping again but you didn't hear it. So I'm two for two Highen.
Speaker 2: And Unwomen Deserar theme song. This is part four of our four part are on the Surrealists, and today we're just gonna talk about even more cool anti fascist artists and queers because there's just a lot of them. Nice I thought there'd be like clog Con would be the only specifically fighting against fascist non binary person in the surrealist movement because but no, absolutely not. So back to the Surrealists. They're just getting started. You all the datas, they're like snoweight Now ur surrealis that sounds more fun. Andre Berton was a Freudian physician helping soldiers deal with shell shock, and he and others folks are like their fucking outh automatic. Writing in nineteen twenty four, Breton writes Surrealist Manifesto, this doesn't kick things off, It's already been happening, but it's the cultural touchstone for everyone except that other group from the big split with Zara that where they were like fighting each other and shit. They actually put out a different Surrealist Manifesto like two weeks earlier, but no one remembers it because it's not the one that's stuck. I think they got into a fist fight about it, about having these two different manifestos. Okay, And in the end, Breton's surrealis just kind of outnumbered the other folks.
Speaker 3: It's sort of like when a Bug's Life and Ants came out at the same time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no one remembers Ants.
Speaker 3: No, but people, I do people.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, you probably remember the first Surrealist manifesto too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've established I'm a fucking freakazoid.
Speaker 3: I mean I saw Ants, and I remember Woody Allen does a voice in it for some reason. And yeah, but bugs Life.
Speaker 1: The lesser Woody buzz Life definitely more fun. Couldn't agree more?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's exactly like that. So the Bugs Life there's more of them and people like it more. And the Bug's Life Manifesto is an absurdist document. And it's like, we know what surrealism is, but we don't know how we're going to get there, and we refused to have a set plan. And at the start, they're like art kids meeting in cafes and playing games like Exquisite Corps and doing automatic drawing and some actually mostly writing. At the beginning, it actually starts off more of a literature movement. It actually like takes a.
Speaker 3: While that magazine called literature.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly, the well named magazine literature. Some of them are rich kids, some of them aren't. Some of them are traumatized as fuck by fighting in World War One. Kids is the wrong word to use here. You know, you can be twenty two years old, but if you fought World War One, you're older than me.
Speaker 3: You're yeah, you're a grown ass adult.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Surrealism starts springing up everywhere autonomously, and they're not like official chapters. Brussels, which is super nearby, is the first. I think. By nineteen twenty nine, they're more political now and they write a new manifesto, and this one is like, we believe in collective action. We're engaged in all the following political things. And by the way, the following specific people are specifically not part of our movement anymore because we don't like them, because they don't approve of our belief in collective action in the following, narrowly defined way. Most of these splits which keep happening are fundamentally political. Obviously, Dali is run out for being a fascist, but it's also like who likes Trotsky and who likes Stalin and who likes anarchism and all this shit. But most of the people who are expelled don't actually stop being surrealist, right, because it's not actually it like claims to weve be a member organization. It is not a member organization. Some people do leave surrealism, like there's a diehard Stalinist who like, there's a bunch of people who are like, actually Stalin says that surrealism is bad and only Marxist really or whatever the fuck is good and we need to represent things in materialism and blah blah blah blah blah, like whatever bullshit. Those people stopp being surrealists. Overall, all the splits and purges and shit, it's just weird infighting drama and not stopping people from looking for the marvelous and fighting against miserableism. Then in nineteen thirty six, Friend of the Pod, the Spanish Civil War kicks off. Franco is a fascist Catholic and he tries and fails to throw a coup against the republican government of left leaning Spain, and a motley assortment of leftist band together to fight him back. Spoiler alert, they lose, but this is a huge deal internationally, this whole fight, and it's the first war against fascism in history, and the surrealists are all about supporting the republic against the fascists. You can hear other half of the Bechdel Cast talk about the Spanish Civil War on the episode probably called the Spanish Civil War with Jamie Loftus. But if you just searched Jamie Loftis Spanish Civil War, probably fine.
Speaker 3: I imagine she did at least twenty other podcast about that specifically.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, well there was that whole year where the Bechdel Cast was just movies about the Spanish Civil War.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, Pan's Labyrinth and others.
Speaker 2: I know, a whole bunch, but that's because I'm a nerd. Wait, what are some others? Wait, there's this one that's an inversion of Pan's Labyrinth. Okay, you know how Pan's Labyrinth is like magical realism against fascism and set in the Spanish Civil War, like kind of immediately after the Spanish Civil War. There's one that's magical realism against four fascism set in the Spanish Civil War. It's called ill bosk the forest but ill I L I think is maybe the Kathalan spelling of it. Okay, yeah, and it is pro fascist. It's the other side of the Civil War right, and like it comes out kind of a it's like ants the bugs life. Yes, it's like a couple of years later. Although you know what, I'm not a big fan of what are you on? And yeah? No, and it's it's fucked up. It's kind of worth watching, just as like this like weird, like so what are the people who wish that? Who are Glad franco one think of all this?
Speaker 3: You know, wait, does the movie take the stance of like, wow, fascism is awesome or is it just about those characters who feel good?
Speaker 2: The movie is pro fascist? Oh god, it is like pro it is anti leftist, is anti the people who are fighting against the good, hard working bourgeoisie of rural Catalonia. And this was a recent movie, yeah, like ten like twenty years or so. Yeah, yeah, maybe ten years ago or so. Oh god, okay, so does that one? And then there's Libertarios which is awesome, which is about anarchist women fighting, and then there's Land Freedom by Ken Loach who's like my favorite did he did the Win, the Shakes the Barley, So he's like one of my favorite directors because he the my favorite movie. But the Irish Civil War or Irish Revolution and the Civil War and okay, that's it might be all this. I'm sure there's more. Oh, the Anarchist Wife, which is the worst name for any movie. It's a French movie. Okay, this is not Margaret lists all the Spanish Civil War movies. Anyway, I did enjoy that very much, though, thanks, We should watch it. I would love to see get your take on il Bosky.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll watch it, I guess.
Speaker 2: Oh and then wait, there's the zombies one, the recent one. It's on Netflix. There's the one where it's a it's like anarchists and also some fascists, but like francoists have to team up against the Nazis and the zombies. And it's called Valley of the Dead on Netflix. All right, and that one doesn't take a pro fascist side, takes an anti fascist side. Yeah. Anyway, Spanish Civil War, big deal in history is the first real war of against fascism in history. I already read this part, so at least four of the surrealists are like, let's fucking go. I think a bunch more did, but like, there's four that I've currently tracked down, and there are two couples, and it's actually happened a lot like couples would just go and join the army together to go fight against fight against the shit. Because this is one of the also the first times you have organized military forces in the Western world that have men and women both fighting alongside one another. One couple. They joined the same force that George Orwell later joined, called the Poom and these are the anti Stalinist Marxists who basically end up allied with the anarchists in the Civil War within a civil war where Stalin decides to try and kill half of his own side to consolidate the other half. The other couple they joined the Drudi Column, which is an anarchist unit, and I'm one of these people who went to fight. I'm going to single out Mary Low because she's sort of one of the most interesting. She was born in nineteen twelve. She was a British woman and a poet, and she became a surrealist. Her partner was a Cuban surrealist poet named Juan Bria, who is one of the founders of the Cuban Surrealist group, and he kept getting arrested everywhere he went for his communist agitation, both in Cuba and Spain, and then he kept getting in trouble with the communists because he wasn't the right kind of communist AKA, he wasn't a Stalinist, because he and Mary were both Trotskyists, so they're like less authoritarian communists. Way more of the people who end up on this show follow the not stalin people will be surprised to know. The other couple is a woman named Remedios Varro and her partner Benjamin Pere. And Pere, since he's like he's like the surrealist founder and the white guy who's fighting in the Spanish Civil War, he's often written about as the one surrealist who fought in the Spanish Civil War. This is just not true. But he's cool as shit and he fucking threw down to try and stop fascism at the very beginning, so he's great. All four of them fight on the Aragon Front against the fascists, all while writing about their experiences for various newspapers. Right because they're like, well, we're writers and artists and shit, you know, so we will use our communication skills the best way we can, which involves both shooting guns at fascists is a very direct form of communication, and then also speaking about these experiences and putting out like radio broadcasts and newspapers and stuff. And Mary Lowe she actually funds, like she funds the English language version of the pum's paper. And at first I was like, oh, she's like a rich kid right now. She right before she went to Spain, she won a ton of money at while gam Oh nice, she just like went and played Roulette ed La Like hell yeah, use that money for the revolution by putting out the English language paper for her unit, okay, And they're also doing radio broadcasts, and Mary does an English one and Benjamin does one in Portuguese. He's French, but he speaks Portuguese. And then the Stalinists try to force everyone into their command structure in the middle of this war, and the POM and the anarchists are like, no, you just showed up. You can't tell us that you're in charge. And so the Stalinists are like torturing and murdering all the other leftists and literally flaming people and shit and being bad. Jan Bria, the Cuban surrealist. He gets arrested twice by the Stalinists in only a few months while he's in the middle of trying to fight their common enemy, right, and then they try and kill him. A car tries to run him down in an alley, and he's like, this is a fucking movie. The way he gets out of this assassination attempt is he is to literally break down a door in the alley to like escape, you know. And so the couple flees Barcelona rather than get murdered. The other two leave Spain about four months later, I think, for more or less the same reasons. And getting back to France after this must have fucking sucked, right, because this is like revolutionary Spain is like this is it. We were doing it right. All of the things we've dreamed of, they're actually happening. We're creating a pluralistic like leftist revolution. We're collectivizing all these workplaces. We are like abortion is legalized, like divorce is legal made easier. I don't remember exactly about the divorce. I remember the abortion part clearly. They get back to France and everything's starting to fall apart, and Benjamin is arrested for distributing anarchist literature by the French government and he has to flee to Mexico. Right. Mary and Juan they're broke as hell and they're watching the Spanish Republic fall to the comb forces of Stalin and Franco. They hang around for a while, they're just like living, broke as shit, and they write a book called The Red Spanish Notebook together. Then they go to England and get married, and then they go to Qubo.
Speaker 3: It came out at the same exact time as the movie The Notebook.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Actually, Nicholas Sparks famously fought in the Spanish Civil War.
Speaker 3: For both sides.
Speaker 2: I actually don't know Nicholas's sparks politics. Surprise.
Speaker 3: I think they're not good. I think he's pretty conservative.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and surprised me. I used to have to write in Nicholas Sparks style romance books because I used to ghost write romance books, and they were like, we want you to write. I was not Nicholas Sparks's ghostwriter, but I was writing where they were like, look, we're ripping off Nicholas sparks. Can you write these books.
Speaker 3: Fascinating?
Speaker 2: Yeah? That was my That was my job when like that that saved me from pretty abject poverty at one point. Okay, yeah, wild and I signed a non disclosure agreement, so I can't say what they are.
Speaker 3: Damn, that's a secret. I would like to know. Are they like famous though?
Speaker 1: I guess you know.
Speaker 2: I mean, like, What's Funny is like one of them? Until recently, was probably the most red thing I'd ever written. Okay, but now, thanks dear listeners, my actual fiction is starting to be read more than the absolute garbage that I churned out for five thousand dollars a novel when I had no money in my van. I lived in a van, but my van was broken.
Speaker 3: Is that all the more the ghostwriters get paid?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not good. A dire fucking novel for five grand. They paid the cover photographer. It was like an Abercrombie and Fitch photographer. They paid the photographer the same that they paid me to like, I had three weeks to write the book, because they this is totally what the listeners are here for whatever, I'm gonna finish the story. They were like, you have a month to write this, and I was like, sure, and the whole thing sounded so scammy that I waited for the first check to clear before I started writing. And then I had three weeks to write the whole thing, and I just hid in my partner's apartment while they were teaching and listened to Dope Throne by Sleep over and over again and wrote terrible, the worst shit I've ever written. I'm saying, yeah, anyway, that is like the book that they wrote, the Red Spanish Notebook. While they were living also broke. They went to England to get married. Oh, I almost went to England to marry actually my partner from then, but I didn't. They went to Cuba for a while, then they traveled around Europe, and then they had to flee the Nazi occupation of Prague and literal Nazi custody right, and they used the help of some literary friends to get out of Nazi custody and got the fuck back to Cuba to just follow just close out their story. One died of this or that illness in nineteen forty one. Mary married another Trotzkist and helped overthrow the Cuban capital's government, all while raising a bunch of kids, then fucking Stalinists. She'd settled into the Revolutionary society as a professor, being like, hooray, we've made a communism. Her husband was a his civil servant, and then Castro was like, hey, sorry, I have to persecute all the Communish aren't exactly the right kind of communist. So the couple had to flee. This time they went to Florida. I think Margaret complains about Stalinists. This is probably the free space and cool people did cool stuff bingo. But Mary lived a long ass time stay in suru to or politics right to the end. She died in Miami in two thousand and seven at ninety four years old. And if you want to live to ninety four years old, what are you promising near bag cut supplements? Right? Isn't that a thing we should start selling? Is that a cool thing? If we could promise people eternal life? Vamporism, Yeah, there we go.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, where's that?
Speaker 1: Say? We try to not do the supplement stuff, and okay, vamporism. Most of them give me the grifterick.
Speaker 2: How much would you pay Kaylin Durante to become a vampire? Five dollars, ten dollars, one thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: I mean something. I didn't hear the first part of your question because I was drinking more of my pur.
Speaker 2: Trying to avoid burpan. How much would you pay to become a vampire?
Speaker 3: Oh? Wow? Honestly, here's the thing. I don't want to live that long, okay, and I don't want to have to eat people, So I would pay zero dollars.
Speaker 2: Okay, So you would choose to not become a vampire? Yeah, yes, Sophie, would you become a vampire?
Speaker 1: All I'm saying is there was one time in Los Angeles where I ran into the really really really mega baybelicious guys who played the vampire in the Vampire Diaries, the two brothers. That was really fun for me.
Speaker 2: So you're already a vampires? What you're telling me, That's what I'm saying, is do they I've never seen you outside?
Speaker 1: They are they included in the vampires?
Speaker 2: Because that would change my answer.
Speaker 1: So much. Also, I hope that guy's dog.
Speaker 3: Is well, Ah, did you put his dog?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 1: I literally ignored the men and just talked to the dog the entire times, as you do.
Speaker 3: I was like I would pay a lot of money to become a dog.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I'd pay a lot of money become my dog has a great.
Speaker 2: Life, yeah, spoiled A spoiled dog.
Speaker 1: Ye a podcast, A podcast dog.
Speaker 2: I would become a vampire. I don't to eat people, and I'm squeamish, but I feel like I like owe it, you know, like like turning down that much power. That could be like, let's do.
Speaker 1: It, magpilots start. Let's start it, all.
Speaker 2: Right, So we are selling vamporism. If you give us your first born child? Is that a that's not how still? Oh okay, well we'll figure it out and then insert the following ad for vamporism.
Speaker 1: You just have to on the vampire diars. You just have to somebody. You have to pay somebody who's already a vampire to put give you some of their blood and then murder you. And then you have to bribe a human to give them your blood so that you fully are a vampire. You're welcome. I have friends.
Speaker 2: We all do. You're not the main person. I talk to you all the time. And what you're talking about. Here's ads and we are back and we're talking about Prague which is basically the land of vampires. Actually, ironically, it'll come up later. One of the reasons that surrealis love the Progue surrealists, the prayer of surrealists love the prog cerealists, is because they were like your city's so like mystical and magical and like anti rationalists and steeped in like basically, they're all like vampire fans, you know, they're like, this is cool, which I mean. I also felt the like week I spent drunk in Prague when I was like twenty, so Mary Lowe was. Mary low had a much worse time in Prague than I did. She was bravely in Prague before it fell to the Nazis. While she was there, she was hanging out with the Progue surrealists who were cool as fuck. And we're gonna use another non binary or trens masculine hero named Toyan as our example, and this time I'm gonna use he hymn pronouns because I have a bit more evidence that this person who's like assigned female at birth would have preferred either those or maybe they them. And Toyen also is like one of those people who's like I only have one name. It's toy In, which is fucking cool. Toyen was born in nineteen oh two and when he was sixteen, he was kicked out of his house for being an anarchist. He started working at a soap factory to afford to get to go to art school in Prague, which I guess is a thing you can do as a runaway in Prague in the late nineteen tens. Is go to art school based on working in a factory. One of those things that people are like, we've come so far, and I'm like, have we He's hanging around with all the cool artsy anarchist types and he's going to organizing meetings and shit. By nineteen twenty three, he changes his name to toy In, which is a play on words. He has like a bunch of different It's like data where they're like, oh it's this, no, it's that, No, it's this other thing, you know, but it probably roughly means it is he in check and he refused to use feminine endings for words describing himself. And he wore men's clothing and he also wore women's clothing. He dated mostly women, but had two His like life partners were probably platonic art relationships with men m and he also once declared that he took his own virginity. I think when people were like because everyone was like, well, you're a girl, so let's talk about who you fuck. And he's like, I fuck myself like that Banks songs and it's a pop song and I know it. Maybe it's not actually a popular one. Maybe I know it because it sounds like a goth song. Anyway, I actually don't know this. Wait, it is this this artist Banks, who's a pop singer I really like, who has a song called like fuck with Myself? Like I fuck with myself more than anybody else.
Speaker 3: Nice, Okay, I'll listen to it and I might realize I recognize it.
Speaker 2: I learned about it from an article that was like, here are pop musicians who make music videos as if they are Trent Resoner from nine inch Nails. That's also how I learned about shit, what's their name? Fucking most popular person in this vein She got famous when she was like fifteen and everyone was a creep. Billie Eilish Mmmm. Oh, that's also who I learned about from that article that I read like ten years ago. Anyway, Toyen mostly drew erotica, lots of stuff with like male and female forms all mixed up, and he illustrated Marquis de Sad's writing like the person the word Sadism comes from. He is like very unabashedly into sex and sexual stuff. Right in nineteen thirty four, he helped form the Czech Surrealist group, but he was also always trying to hustle up money in that awesome proletarian artist way, the equivalent of ghostwriting novels. He writes a travel guide to pair for Chech speakers. He designs fabrics, He designs book covers. Klin, Have you had to do weird shit like this for money?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh. There was a whole I want to say, like nine months where I had cobbled together several jobs. One of them I was a delivery driver for Hooter's restaurant. I was an assistant at the same time, because I was like a part time maybe like fifteen hours a week kind of thing, because no one ordered Hooter's delivery can you imagine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're not really known for those food.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: At the same time, I was an assistant to a guy who was like a talent scout, but he specifically scouted for men to be in jerk off videos for subscription based gay porn websites. Oh yeah, so do.
Speaker 2: You have to like approach guys and be like, hey, I'd watch you jerk off.
Speaker 3: No, but that could be considered harassment. Probably wouldn't have done it all change in my plans for tomorrow. But I did have to field a lot of like email responses we got, and I had to write a lot of ad copy for ads that we would post on Craigslist to be like, hey, we're looking for muscular men for a cool opportunity.
Speaker 2: Something you do all the time anyway, Just film.
Speaker 3: It, yeah, exactly, get paid to do it. That was literally part of the selling point of our ads. And then I had like a bunch of other internships at the same time that were weird, but yeah it was I've done my fair share of goofy ass jobs.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and I like the like, you know, okay, here's the cool, Like eventually he's going to be known as like the most famous painter and most famous woman painter in twentieth century Progue or Czech Republic. And then just like he's like, eh, whatever, you know, writing these books that are probably complete garbage. Maybe they're great, actually, maybe they're incredible travel guides for Paris for Czech speakers. Well never, no, no, Probably someone will know, but it won't be me. There was tension in the surrealist movement pretty much as soon as the Czech Surrealist group started, because all of the political stuff from Paris was starting to come to a head around this time, and so there's this tension between Stalinism and freedom right in the surrealist movement and in Prague. While Breton and some others from Paris are visiting visiting the nineteen thirty five because they're obsessed with the Czech surrealists, they're like, oh my god, you all are so authentic. You're like spooky, you know, you live in like this booky city, which is like whatever, Like that's how again, that's how I felt when I was there. Sure, So while they were there, they got into a literal fight in the streets with Soviet delegates because the Soviet delegates accused, or a Soviet delegate accused the Surrealus of pederasty. And in this case they didn't mean we think you have sex with children or promote sex with children. It was like, y'all are gay, because there was a long period of time where that's coming back where you can decide that anyone who's you know, it's basically be like your groomors, you know, right. And so there's one version where they got into a fist fight about it. There's one version where it wasn't like a two way fist fight and said Breton slapped the Soviet delegate in the face several times, which it does hit the point of like you slap someone, You're like, well, one, that's not part of my daily life, right, but you're like you slap someone several times, it's like it's now you're really fucking mad. And there's a couple I've read a bunch of different ways of how to interpret this. One that I seems to be the most likely is basically the surrealis are fighting physically to defend their right to include queer artists and queer themes and specifically like to not drive out the fact that there's a fuck ton of openly gay surrealists at this point, and this anti gay repression coming from the proper communist left led to the suicide of one gay surrealist named Renee Creval, and most of his friends defended him after his death. This is like where they're like the kind of like splits that sort of are like almost like jokes to me in the twenties, right where they're like, oh, well you fuck you, no, fuck you. At this point, it's like Stalinism has driven this kid to kill themself, right yeah, And most people are like, fuck the Communist Party, We're getting the fuck out of this nightmare. And others are like, no, the immortal science of Marxist Leninism just demands that I spit on my gay friend's grave. Fuck those people, because and I pay more attention to historical drama than present day politics.
Speaker 3: I mean, history repeats itself, so whatever was happening back then is basically still happening.
Speaker 2: I know. Like the current version of this is the turf stuff. The current version is like, you know, these people who are ostensibly on the left talking about like throwing half of us out and a group that is the reason that transpaport pronos socide is repression. It's like the solely there's nothing about who we are. It's not that we're like mixed up, it's that we're being told we're bad, right, you know. Anyway, this split the hell out of the PROG group too, where the confrontation had happened. When the Nazis took over in nineteen thirty nine, they explicitly ban toy In from presenting his work publicly. They were like, you're on the list of degenerates, right, You're not Jewish, so we're not going to kill you. But unless you step out of line or do anything, which case will kill you, but you're.
Speaker 3: Not allowed to.
Speaker 2: So he spends all lot of his time underground, like directly, like actually hiding, but since most of his time doing his work underground and then living above ground and then hiding a bunch of Jewish surrealist and anti fascists, including his Jewish partner, like platonic partner. I think they actually try to escape when the Nazis first take power. But there's this fucking piece of shit who's like robbing people, trying to be like, oh I got you, I'll set you up, I'll get you out here, and it's just like a scam, right, So he hides his Jewish partner, and until that Jewish partner died of illness in nineteen forty two, so during the occupation, and then hit at least one other Jewish anti fascist for the entire course of the war, I don't know how many, and then also kept organizing surrealist stuff completely illegally, publishing degenerate art at great risk, including like our other non binary surrealist a bunch of calls for Nazis to defend. This is like a huge thing of what surrealists are doing. Is like you're clearly on the evil side, Like you're the baddies. What are you doing? You know? One Jewish surrealist photographer that he hit is named Yindrich Hasler, who developed new art techniques like new dioramic techniques of like super macro photo close ups and shit like for his art while living in Toyen's bathroom. Whoa, which is just like a fucking cool way to invent I mean, it's an awful, horrible way to invent a new form of art, but it's also fucking cool, you know. And apparently this guy, the way he would escape from like Nazis they'd come by in search everywhere, you know, is that when when the Nazis were coming, he'd like gaily skip down the front steps and like wave hello and then just like head off, you know, like at a jaunt as if he's like totally nonplussed about there being Nazis coming, so he's not worried at all. So everyone just so they're just like hey, I belong see it, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he that's wild.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And he survives, and Toyan survives, and the other his partner doesn't survive. But that well, I'm sure the Nazi occupation probably I don't know, if you die because you have to live in your partner's bathroom and hide from Nazis and you die of illness, I'll put that one on the Nazis.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Fortunately it was liberated. Unfortunately it immediately fell to the USSR. Toyen and his partner, his new partner moved to Paris, where he spent the rest of his life. He has broke as fuck, but the Surrealists support him. Basically, they actually are a community and they're actually built on mutual aid. They're like, oh, you're toy In, Like yeah, Like like Breton's like sure, stay in my apartment as long as you want, and like means it literally, and like I think he lives Breton for years, you know. Yeah, and so like the famous ones, the ones who like make it in the art world are like fucking pain. Everyone else's rent, you know, fucking rules. Yeah, and he's Antoya is fucking weird the whole rest of his life. He's so cool. When he's hanging out with people and feels that they lack poetry, he just doesn't talk. He's just like quiet the whole time. He refers to it as putting on his spacesuit.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's wow, what a flex. It's like, you're boring, So I'm not even gonna dignify your existence by speaking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And in his seventies he still made his time, made time to go see porn in the theaters every day or every week or something nice. He died broke in nineteen eighty and is now considered the Czech Republic's most important twentieth century quote unquote woman artist. During his life, he illustrated five hundred and seventy books and left behind dozens of paintings. I really like his art. I know, I'm like mostly not talking about these people's art, but his some of my favorite.
Speaker 3: Of you spell it. I'm going to do another Google image y e n y n okay, yeah, oh, I want to describe what you say imagery yeah, and vaginas oh yeah, and some other stuff that I can't quite put into words.
Speaker 2: That's surrealism, baby. Anyway, After the war, surrealism it seemed as like surrealism like kind of goes away during the war in most people's mind because it stops being the darling of the art world in the same way. But it doesn't go away in after the war, surrealism starts a more overt association with the Anarchist Federation. They're like, we're fucking done with this communist thing like or this you know, staliny thing. They start writing for the French Anarchists Federation. At this point, they start refusing to take sides. They there's growth here. When when the French Anarchists Federation keeps having it's it's like dumb splits, the surrealists are like, we're not taking sides in any of that shit. We like, we're actually all on the same side here. Get the grow the fuck up. Surrealism becomes a bigger deal again in the sixties, both under the name surrealism, including having spread to the US, where like the Chicago Surrealists Group Champions. It develops the phrase make Love not War, and threw down alongside the students for Democratic Society, who keep showing up in a bunch of my episodes, and also through its ideological descendants, probably the most famous of which are the situationists and situationists in France. But I want to cut back in time to before ads. No, this transition isn't yeah more or less. Here's where I was gonna say, I trying to sell you stuff. But honestly, other people use my work to try and sell you stuff, which is fine.
Speaker 3: This is what it is.
Speaker 2: Ill gotta eat. My dog is hungry. I'm hungry. I keep kind of losing track of things. What's happening.
Speaker 3: Here's here's miserableism at its peak.
Speaker 2: Yeah as really is actually yeah, and we're back, so okay. But I'm actually going to cut back in time now talk about some other shit that the surrealist got up to, some other people that they were inspired by, and some other people that they inspired, because I want to tell you a story about three different French murderouses. It's one of my favorite words. I don't normally like. I know that the word for a female actors actor, you know, but like right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like genderize what should just be a gender neutral term.
Speaker 2: And like murderer is that it's core gender neutral term, But I like the active feminization of it. I like murderous because I will argue that a murderous is, on average a different kind of person than a male murderer, which we would call, yeah, a ware murderer. Uh probably if we're using mister murderer. Yeah, okay, because I'm going to go on a tangent. Years ago, I had this friend. We all lived in this giant mansion full of depressed punks and goths in Nashville, North Carolina. One of my roommates lived on the back porch and a coffin that she had built. She was another Yeah, she was weird. She's another trans woman, though neither of us knew it back then. She would have called herself a drag queen back then, and I would have called myself repressed. She taught me how to shave well enough to pass, oh to be twenty two or whatever? Shave right put on address anyway. Another roommate lived in an airstream out back and had kinky sex so loud we could hear it inside. I lived in a loft in the basement where I couldn't sit up without hitting my head on pipes covered an asbestos. But another roommate, there's an awful lot of roommates who lived in this place. Her mom owned a costume shop and only hired murderouses because like, after they get out of prison, right, not while they're because, as she pointed out, they make the best employees. They need work, no one will hire them. But a murderous, most murderous has just killed some fucking dude who needs a killing. Like most are won and done. They're like, my husband kept doing horrible things, so now he's dead.
Speaker 3: So now I killed him. Yeah, so they get stuff done. Yeah, they see the need for a task, they show initiatives, and they get that shit done.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Eventually, unrelated to that, the house mysteriously burned down. Oh h, not the costume shop, to the house that we all lived in. I didn't live there anymore. I couldn't stand I was paying rent where I like three months earlier, I'd been living for free in a giant mansion of a squat in Amsterdam where there was no asbestos, And I was like this is clearly I'm in the wrong country and I went back to Amsterdam. But nineteen thirties murderesses. On August twenty first, nineteen thirty three, an eighteen year old woman named Violet Nozare poisoned her parents, slipping them barbituates in their drinks. Her father died, her mother survived. She fucked off with some of their money and was caught pretty much right away. She confessed, and she gave her motive immediately to the officer who arrested her. Her father had been sexually assaulting her for six years, and the French press rushed to see who could accuse her of being a liar. The soonest, odious accusations an abominable lie. Are some headlines. The judge opened the case by telling the jury quote, remember the defendant is a liar. It's not a good way to be a judge.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: The cop who took her confession believed her, so he wasn't allowed to testify. Oh my god, after all, she is a filthy slut. She took the metro by herself. She hung around with bad boys who, according to the paper, wore a quote jackets of extremely narrow waist and coat hanger shoulders with Mexican style trousers, and the newsapers just went on and on. This is like the big thing that they're fucking talking about. Also, gasp, she might have done sex work. Hating her is all the rage. One paper said, quote, she is the inverted muse of youth, the scarlet idol of a capsized world, the flower of evil of our age.
Speaker 3: Sounds awesome to me.
Speaker 2: I know. Surrealists like this too. Yeah, yeah, like Flooria Dumal flower of Evil. That is the name of one of their favorite books of poetry by Bold There it's nineteen thirty three. So the smart part of the left is like, are you fucking kidding me? This is all we can talk about. Not I don't know the Nazis in the next country over that came to power right now, maybe we should do something about that. Other parts of the left wanted to condemn her. The Communist Party friend of the pod was like, she's hanging out with decadent bourgeois students, so she's like bad or whatever, you know, And the right is like, fuck her. She's destroying the natural social hierarchy of patriarchy and family. She had two categories of supporters. She had, the women who wrote the papers trying one hundred years too early to be believed in kind of like a me too sort of way. And then there are the Surrealists, who probably a lot of them were women who were writing from a met to perspective. Right. The Surrealists wrote endlessly in support of her. They published a book of poetry and artwork in her honor while the trial was happening. Paul l u Ard, a Surrealist poet, wrote in there quote, Violet dreamt of undoing and undid the hideous vipers, not of blood connections.
Speaker 1: Who.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know what that means, but it sounds poetic. Yeah.
Speaker 2: In nineteen thirty four, she was convicted and sentenced to death. Ironically, she did not get put to death. Ironically, it was it was the v She government, the Nazi collaborationist government that freedom that set her up to be freed because they're super conservative, right, but they're conservative Catholic and she's decided to dedicate herself to Catholicism in prison, whether earnestly or slyly. And v She France was all conservative Catholics. The Nazis hated the Catholics, but the right wing in France and Spain fucking loved the Catholic. So here's the story of redemption, the fallen woman who found God or whatever the fuck, and so her sentences changed to twelve years. She gets out in nineteen forty five. She marries a middle class dude like a prison clerk, has five kids with them, and then diaza cancer in her fifties. But she joined the ranks of the surrealist heroines for killing her abuser and breaking free of the patriarchal family. And this is alongside another scandalous case at the time in nineteen thirty three also when two sisters who are servants for some rich focks finally they just like can't take it anymore and they killed a shit out of they They gouge the eyes out and beat to death both their mistress and her daughter. Yeah, their case is very true crime podcast. There's probably a true crime prodcast about this, if not Sophie.
Speaker 3: Now there's another spinoff podcast.
Speaker 2: Cool Times. Actually, I mean this podcast is true crime, but in a good way. It's pretty much like some of it. Very little of what I talk about is legally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's ethically.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, people who did cool things that boring people would consider crime, but it's actually awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally green lighted title.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's very true crime podcast. After they killed their boss and her daughter, they locked themselves in their room, like the room that they stay in it is live in servants, you know, and huddle like naked on the bed until the police kick in the door. And there's lots of like the newspapers are like, oh, it was like incest and they'd performed sexual rituals with the bodies, and you know what, that's possible. It seems far more likely that their version of the story is true, which is that it was self defense against a horrible, cruel mistress. The second affair was immortalized in a play called The Maids by a by a guy named Jean Jannat and I want to talk about him in our last little profile. In this Exquisite Corpse, get it because there's corpses.
Speaker 3: Oh oh, they killed those people and it's exquisite. I know.
Speaker 2: Okay, there probably is a podcast called the Exquisite Corpse that's like a there's so many bad puns I want to do with. Okay, anyway, Jean Jonnay is tangential to the Surrealists, sort of descended from them as best as I can understand. I just think he's really cool, so I'm going to talk about him. He was born in nineteen ten, and he got going in the arts after World War Two, so he wasn't as much a part of the Surrealist heyday. Because while this we'll talk about what he was doing during the Surrealist heyday, but he ends up a part of the theater of the absurd that came after the Surrealists. And this guy is the opposite of a trust fund kid. This is a very crime part that's coming up. Jean Jannat is a thief, a sex worker, a vagabond, a queer, and a prisoner. Those are his main occupations before he becomes a world famous novelist and playwright and pro Palestinian activist. We stand, Jean Janet. I promised you I would you stand? In the script?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah. He was born in nineteen ten to a sex worker who gave him up for adoption before he turned one. He was placed with a foster family and he kept getting arrested and running away and like spent time in like detention centers. When he was like ten, he would sneak out at night wearing makeup. He started stealing and getting arrested for vagrancy. By the time he was fifteen, he was sent to a penal colony, which I thought meant like sent to South America, but it actually is just sort of a in this case, like a crime boarding school whatever. You call those places, A bad prison for.
Speaker 3: Kids, you know, juvenile that's a tension yeah center.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Actual, they don't want to call prison for kids for some weird reason. It's nice a ring, it's catchy, you know, prison for kids. Why his prison bad? I thought it was help to make people better. I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: Right, It's almost as if they know that it's bad.
Speaker 2: Weird anyway.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: He gets out when he's eighteen, I guess because he's an adult. Now. He joins the French Foreign Legion, but he's pretty much immediately dishonorably discharged for doing some cool gay shit like having sex. So he fucks off around Europe as a vagabond, sex worker and a thief. In particular, he liked to steal rare books and sell them in the Shadow of Notre Dame, which is just classy cool. He was raised Catholic and he loved all the ceremonies and rites, and he despised organized religion. Near the end of his life, he's actually he's hanging out in a Palestinian refugee camp where he like lives for six months and is doing all this work. And they're like, what religion, and he's like, none, but if you insist Catholic and I really identify with that. So yeah, he spent almost all of World War Two in French prison, so he wasn't like a political activist, right, He's just a fucking prisoner. And he starts writing. He starts writing in prison, and he writes stories about all the cool crime stuff he's been up to, and he like sexualizes the role of the prisoner in society. The only thing I've read by him is I've read chunks of the Thieves Journal, and it's just like, basically, it's like I adore all of these like hyper masculine men in prison who all like hide things in their butt and want to have sex with me. It's pretty fun. And it's funny because the stuff that gets you condemned literally to spend your life behind bars. The literary crowd eats up. Not that I capitalize off that myself. No, sir, he wasn't a famous writer yet. He started his first novel, Our Lady of the Flowers, on his like prison job that he was supposed to be making paper bags out of like brown paper, you know, And so he's like writing his novel on it. So they burn his first draft and send him to solitary, and he had to rewrite the entire book from memory, which he claims he like did it word for word. I don't believe him, but I don't care. He got out, and he kept getting arrested again, and he was about to get a life sentence in nineteen forty nine under the notorious ten strikes your outlaw, which is like, I mean, yeah, I gu it's fair.
Speaker 3: I mean, say what you will about the prison industrial complex, but apparently they give you a lot of chance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at this particular time and place, I wonder the fact that like the government has changed so many times, you know. So he's about to get sent to prison for the rest of his life. And I mean, I actually do think if you're up to like petty crime, you should never be whatever. I don't believe we should have prisons, but like, if you're doing petty shit, it shouldn't be like all the petty equals throw you away for life, Like that just doesn't. But the literary world, in the art world is like, no, he's our guy, and like Sart and Picasso are like, no, police, don't imprison him. We're famous and we like him, and they're like okay. So he goes free and he actually never goes back to prison again. And all this time he's sort of obsessively non political, or at least he's read that way. I would argue that he's a nihilist. He is functionally a nihilist anarchist at this point. He's against politics, but he's writing about anti colonialism and anti racism and against all institutions of power. He loves all rebels, including people doing lots of bad shit too, right, He's just like, oh, you're fucking a rebel. I'm like criminal. Queer is its own political position, and eventually when he finds like more traditional ideological politics, it's somewhere in the anarchist communist spectrum, which is in the late sixties. He in the late sixties, he gets involved more politically. He spent six months in refugee camps. He makes friends with the Black Panthers. He starts writing in the Black Panther Papers. He sneaks into the US, like multiple times, illegally because the US is like, no, you can't come in here. You're just a crime guy. And he's like, but I want to come and they're like, no, you're a crime man. And he's like, all right, I'll go to Canada and then walk over or whatever. I don't know how he sneaks in, but he sneaks in multiple times. And in France he's getting involved in the fight against police brutality of like Algerians, like basically, you know, black people in Paris are getting murdered and ship by cops, and he's fighting against that. During the uprising in France in nineteen sixty eight, he writes one of my favorite quotes about revolutionary symbolism that I've ever read, which is, unfortunately, I don't think we can win without the red and black flags, but they must be destroyed afterwards, which is like, I think a really useful way to think about labels, right, being like, are these politically useful to us, then we should consider them, but they are not our goal, you know or not? A goal is not to have a specific ideological position, right. Another quote I like by him one time he was giving a speech to a Yale audience and he his quote was basically like, your universities are quote comfortable aquariums where people raise goldfish capable of nothing more than blowing bubbles.
Speaker 3: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So he's not a surrealist, but he was inspired by them, by like the same shit as them, because he writes a play about those maids. He murdered their employers, and I only sort of a descendant of them, and I just think he's cool, So I want to shoehorn him, shoehorn him in.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He died at seventy five as one of the most acclaimed French writers of the twentieth century, which ain't bad for a criminal queer. And that is where derive ends for now or are exquisite corpse? It ends with some gouged out ladies on the floor, killed by some other ladies. There are so many more corpses. I guess they all do die. So we're all corps isn't waiting?
Speaker 3: We're all I'm just currently a live corpse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Britton and Pere are both cool as hell, and it didn't get included Max Ernston, Leona Carrington or cool as hell. They all ran all over the world, chased by this or that oppressive force, with the politics aiming further and further towards real liberation, and they inspired people everywhere. And I think they're cool. I think the Surrealists were even cooler than I already thought they were when I started this.
Speaker 3: I agree, and thank you for teaching me all about them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just for you. Actually, this is a secret one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's amazing how I'm the only person who will ever hear this.
Speaker 2: You know, Sophie's just had headphones like earplugs in the whole time too, So's.
Speaker 3: Sophie were on now you can listen.
Speaker 2: What but speaking of ear plugs, what about Caitlin. No, that's the worst. No, that's bout that was Actually.
Speaker 3: That was a great transition, great pun. And here are my plugs which will go into everyone's ears. Whoa ear plugs. You can follow me online if you wish, at Caitlyn Durante. You can listen to my podcast, The Bechdel Cast in which Jamie Loftus and I and often guests discuss movies through an intersectional feminist lens. And we have a live show that we are doing in Portland, Oregon, which I know is not how you say that, but it's too late, and that's how I said it. The show is October sixth, which I think is right around the corner of when this episode comes out. You can go to link tree slash Bechtel Cast to grab tickets if they're not already sold out, but I mean brag, they probably will be people people you can oh the live stream exactly, so oh my gosh, Sophie, you're a genius. If the show is sold out the live show, you can live stream it from anywhere in the world.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: And if you can't make it to the actual like live stream as it's happening, you can still buy a live stream ticket and check out the stream for like up to a week afterward. So there's ways to see Jamie and I talk about the movie say anything. And then I'm also doing a bunch of stand up in Portland as well as Vancouver, but I think my Vancouver shows will already be done. But check out my website Caitlinduronta dot com for details about all of those shows.
Speaker 2: Yah yay, I have things. I have a sub stack. I post on it every week. Half of them are free. If you want to hear the more personal stuff for me talking about punk cows as I've lived in that have burned down. That's the which I do. Okay, well that's the not free half. Although, Caitlin, if you give me your email a dress to add you to the thank you but not you listener, but half the shit's free. I don't feel guilty about this, and it's just like literally my more personal shit that isn't And also I have a thing that is probably kickstarting as you are listening to this called Defenders of the Wild, which has is a board game and role playing game, and I've been doing some world design on both, but I'm especially involved in the tabletop role playing game part of it. So if you want to play a game where you are a badger, ooh, my favorite character right now is is a bear with a frying pan who is really at organizing people and fighting machines. And if that sounds fun to you, then Defenders of the Wild is on Kickstarter. Might the full title of the kickstarters probably defenders the wild by outlandish Games. That's it, except for Sophie. What do you got Sophie? Well, what do we got? Margaret?
Speaker 1: Happening starting October eighth?
Speaker 2: Do you mean the book club, the Cool Zone book Club?
Speaker 1: I do Magpie.
Speaker 2: Well, every Sunday until the heat Death of the Universe, or at least for a little while, we are starting a book club. We are starting a book club called the Cool Zone book Club. It'll be on the It could Happen Here feed that is normally Monday through Friday, but now it is Sunday through Friday because on the Lord's Day, I will we.
Speaker 1: Should probably drop it in here too. Okay, that sounds great, So if you're I'll probably do that, but I'll drop it in cool People for people that because obviously people who listen to cool people think you're cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And it will be me reading new stories sometimes some other people reading me stories. We have a couple of different ideas of what we're going to do with it, and the very first thing we're going to do with it is four Sundays in a row, we're going to have me reading Robert Evans, my novella The Lamb Will Slaughter the Lion, which is more or less about a punk house full of weird people that burns down, only in this case, it's a squatted punk town that is occupied by a three antler demon deer that eats people who act irresponsibly. Hell yeah, yeah, so check that out. And I'm really excited about it. Yeah, we've been working on it for a while. That's what we got. We'll see you next week.
Speaker 1: Bye bye. People Who Did Cool Stuff is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.