Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to another episode of Snake's Territory, part of the Foul Territory Network. Be sure to like this video, subscribe to our YouTube channel, maybe leave us a five star review wherever you get your podcasts. I am Jesse Friedman alongside Jack Summers and Jack talked on Friday about a pretty crushing, disappointing loss for this Diamondbacks team, and they bounce back in impressive fashion, not only winning on Saturday, but pulling off a comeback from down seven runs. On Sunday, they come back to beat the Saint Louis Cardinals and ten innings by a final score of eight to seven. This is a game that we're not gonna forget, potentially for a number of years after this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm probably gonna lead here with a little bit of a you can't beat how can you not be romantic about baseball type of sentiment. Look, unless you're winning the World championship, somebody at some point is going to go home and be disappointed right at the end of the year. But today was a really good reminder of the moments that the players play for and the moments that the fans watched for. And you know, we don't get to enjoy the sweetness that was today's comeback without some of the pain and frustration that goes along before that. So it was just a good reminder for me, you know, enjoy the ride a little bit more, even though there's going to be some tough days. Days like this do happen, and what a payoff.
Speaker 1: Eduardo Rodriguez not great in this one. He was not the central storyline of this Diamondbacks win, as he often has been. Just two and two thirds innings from e Rod. He allowed a total of five runs and one of the kind of bizarrely just pretty rough outings for him this season. But again, the Diamondbacks were able to pick him up, something that they haven't done very much of this season. They've kind of needed him to carry them in a lot of situations this year. And Diamondbacks down five to nothing going into the bottom of the sixth, the vibes are not necessarily high at that point. Jack. The Diamondbacks scored three runs in that inning. They were pretty much handed two of them with basses loaded walks that worked out very nicely. They probably should have scored more runs in that inning, given the bases loaded, nobody out situation and the two walks that came after that, in some ways kind of disappointing to only come away with three runs there, but it made it a game. It made it seven to three. And then in the bottom of the seventh where this game really got interesting. Jack, just a crazy turn of events here. Adrian del Castillo at first base with two outs and Heraldo Perdomo hits a line drive to left field. Jose for I mean, probably should have just played this ball and kept it in front of him and turned it into a single and things probably would have been fine. But it winds up going past him in left field, and Heraldo Perdomo comes away with what was eventually scored an inside the park home run and turned a seven to three deficit into seven to five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that got the game close, and you kind of felt like, Okay, this could really happen. At that point. There was a lot of angst and disappointment of only getting to seven to three with that basis loaded nobody out situation, a lot of bemoaning of lack of execution and all that, but that break went their way all of a sudden at seven to five. You could really feel the momentum shift at that point.
Speaker 1: And then in the bottom half of the eighth inning, two outs, base is empty, not much going on, Tyler Locklear sneaks a seeing eye ground ball through the infield, reaches base a two out single, and then Nolan Arnado burns his former team with a very clutch two run home run. It was not only a huge game tying swing for the Diamondbacks, but also Arnaudo's one nine ninety ninth career hit. And it was a crazy moment Jack, I mean, in just a span of a few innings. Again, the Diamondbacks entering the bottom of the sixth trailed this game seven to nothing, and they wind up storming their way back and by the bottom of the eighth it was it was a tie game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was kind of fun listening to the Cardinals broadcast version of that after the home run talking about how Nolan Aronado is now officially a Cardinals killer.
Speaker 1: Top of the ninth inning rolls around and things got a little dicey there. Ryan Thompson was called upon in this situation, not Paul Sewald, which was notable. Of course, Tory went to Paul Sewald in the exact same situation on Friday and things did not end well. So Tory goes to Ryan Thompson, wasn't exactly a clean inning. Runners at first and second, two outs. Tory turns to Juan Mario to get the last out of that inning, and it was huge Mario able to get I believe it was JJ Weatherholt to ground into a to just ground out to end that frame. And the d Backs had it set up in the bottom of the ninth jack top of the order do up. But they went quietly, and you're like, all right, here we go. Extra innings. The d Backs. Extra innings has not exactly been a recipe for success for them this season or really in any recent season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they came into it two and five in extra innings, and as all this was unfolding, I'm sitting there surmising. I think seawalld is down. I think Arcia is down. I think Kevin Ginkle's down. You know, maybe the game went eleven or twelve of our innings or something and they had no choice. They might have, you know, pulled one of those guys out to use him. But where are they going to go in extra innings with this? If they couldn't end this tent. Obviously Mario was going to come back out for the.
Speaker 1: Ten, and he did, and the Dbacks caught a major break there. There's no getting around that. Juan Mario gives up a leadoff single in the top of the tenth and it's like, all right, here we go. This is probably going to turn south quickly. First and third, nobody out, and then Jordan Walker hits a flare that is caught by Heralda Perdomo and somehow Brian Torres, a twenty nine year old rookie on the Cardinals, gets doubled off first base in the process. And admittedly, Jack like, that's not always a super easy play to make. As a base runner. You're told to freeze on a line drive. Sometimes that can be difficult if the ball has hit really hard, but this was not that. I mean, it felt like this infield flare from Jordan Walker was in the air for like two seconds, and somehow Brian Torres was just not aware of the situation and he gets doubled off first base. Juan Rio able to get Nathan Church to ground out to end the inning, and at that point you're like, Okay, the Diamondbacks have a shot in this to all they need to do is find a way to get that ghost runner home from second. And of course, the mistake that the Cardinals made in the top of the tent was it was sort of mind blowing and a big reason why the Diamondbacks ultimately won this game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I think that Jerry was heads up there. I wonder if Torres thought that maybe the ball was chopped or something, and that's why he like took off. You know, sometimes in a split second it may not be totally obvious that it was a flair. Maybe he thought it was like a Baltimore chop or something like that. That's the only thing I can think of. I mean, I don't know how we made that error.
Speaker 1: It looked to me like he wasn't even darting towards second. He was just kind of It's like he froze, but he didn't actually start going back to the base. He just kind of stood there and then the Diamondbacks easily had him done. So, just an enormous mistake there by the Cardinals. Diamondbacks still needed to push across the winning run, and they wound up in a very similar situation, pretty much the exact same situation that we discussed recently. Arguably your best hitter at the plate in Gabby Moreno. You've got the ghost runner on second base, and Moreno did not lay down a bunt jack. I imagined that is what you might have preferred he do. He did not do that. He winds up lining out, But then that decision didn't prove consequential. Max Kepler, the next hitter, drives a deep double to right field. Actually a pretty decent pitch. It was a change up below the zone, but Kepler put a really good swing on it, and that was the game, certainly deep enough to score the winning run and completing a really impressive comeback. This match the Diamondback's biggest comeback in franchise history at seven runs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the previous time they did that, of course, was Corbyn Carroll's debut back in August of twenty twenty two. I think it was August twenty ninth. They fell behind the Phillies seven nothing and came back to win thirteen to seven. So maybe a little sweet poetry and justice there. Of course, I was ready to already and geared up to debate Jesse once again about you know whether or not Moreno should have bunted. I was on the bunt club, I you know, because the same thing would have happened anyway, right, I mean, you know, say that ball wasn't quite a line drive that Kepler hit, but it was deep enough anyway, even if it was caught the run scores and also the debate that Jesse and I did have was was it a line drive? The box score says a line drive, but it was twenty one degrees a launch angle. I'll call that a flyner and it was only hitting eight an hour. No, I'm just kidding. But all's well. That ends well. Still, I would like to see Gabby ad the bunt tool to his toolbox. I think he needs that. I'd really like to see him added in there. I know he's been the best hitter. I know he's been hitting well, but you know you just need one run there.
Speaker 1: That's fair. Gabby's hitting three h four, so you know, I'm still team let him swing the bat. He's been by far the most reliable hitter on this team in recent days. But agree to disagree once again, Jack, in this case, it didn't wind up proving consequential. As I said, Max Kepler with the big swing there, and it is just hard to overstate how big this win was for this team. I mean, the swing and vibes jack between the Dbacks losing this game and winning feels enormous, which I know is always the case in a rubber match, but given the opponent that this was against the Saint Louis Cardinals, the Diamondbacks clinch the season series with this win against Saint Louis, which feels really significant. And I mean, given the mistakes that they made in that game on Friday and how winnable that felt, I guess you could get greedy now and be like, Dback should have swept this series. There's certainly a case be made there, but coming away with two out of three and doing it in such heroic fashion on Sunday just a huge lift for this team as we continue the march toward the trade deadline.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's you can't justifiably say they should have had a sweep. I mean, you know, you can even say they were lucky to be in Friday night's game in the first place. So and you know, you come back from seven to nothing and win eight to seven. You know, that's the ultimate we for those who participate in Sarah Lang's fantastic tweets. So you know, I'm not going to get greedy and say they should have had a sweep. I'm just gonna take this and say thank you very much and enjoy the moment like I did, and as I opened, I mean, that's the that's the key here is you know, this is entertainment and that was fun. That was just a lot of fun to watch.
Speaker 1: We don't need to dwell on e Rod has obviously, the Dbacs won the game, and e Rod has been by far the team's best starting pitcher this season. Even after this start, he still has a two point six to two ERA. But I think you and I landed in a similar place, Jack, where the location of the pitches maybe it wasn't what he would have wanted, but it also wasn't terrible. It felt like the Cardinals. Actually, there were a couple of changeups that were below the zone in pretty good spots that somehow Saint Louis managed to hit anyway. And it wasn't like all of those hits in that disastrous third inning were necessarily hard hit. And yet somehow Saint Louis strings together six hits in a walk in that inning, and that's when this game really got out of hand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that triple, I mean, I don't know if he could have even gotten there to cut it off. But you know, the ball that Ryan Walts would doe for, I mean he didn't even glove didn't even get there. Yeah, and I kind of felt like Kepler was a little slow getting to the spot there too of being able to cut It's hard to tell because I was watching on TV. I wasn't at the ballpark, but I watched on the replay as well, and it just seemed like the angles that both of them took were like a little too sharp. Neither one of them took the proper angle to cut off the ball, so that that probably shouldn't have been a triple. In my mind, I think if between it, if they both took the cutoff angle instead of to try to make the play angle, they might have been able to hold that to a double. So, you know, maybe would have made that big a difference. But yeah, like you said, I you know, I even texted Jesse some of the location charts from game day, and you know, one pitch was middle middle, but the rest were either below the zone or on the edge of the black you know. Of course, he did have a four pitch walk to start things off, and the daughter himself said that he was not happy with his location. He said, hey, I made location mistakes today. The one thing that did kind of bum me out was I see him seeing him get booed off the mound, and look, fans pay for their ticket, and you know, they know how important the game is, or maybe they don't. I don't know. You know, it depends on who's at the ballgame. But Edwaro has carried the pitching staff this year, and this was literally his only really bad start all year long. I mean, he had three other outings where he gave up four runs, but he went either five or six innings in all of three of those outings. And this is the only time he's given up five runs all year long. And I just felt like the guy deserved a little bit more grace than that. But I get it. If there are those out there that feel like it's their right to boo, they paid for their ticket, they can boo. I don't think it helps the players any doesn't make them feel any better, it doesn't make them perform any better. I'm sure of that. Booing a player does not make them play better, you know, but you know it does allow the paying fan to exercise their right to express displeasure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, which fans, as you said, do have the right to do. But I'm very much with you there. You rod still has a two point six two ERA, which feels like it's you know, one hundred and ten percentile of what you would have expected coming into this season. So huge win here for this Diamondbacks team. Of course, their position in the standings improved over the weekend, and when we come back from this break, we'll take a look at that. We'll talk through some injury updates. Unfortunately, there was a significant update that came out of this game that we'll get to, So don't go anywhere. We'll be right back here on Snake's territory. Well, certainly the vibes surrounding this Arizona Diamondbacks team have improved since our last episode, and that means maybe you're feeling a little bit more like you would like to get some tickets to go see this Diamondbacks team play over the next few days as they take on the A's and of course, Sea Geek is the place to go for all of your ticketing needs. With over thirty five million download, sea Geek is the number one rate ticketing app. As I said on our last episode, when I was in San Diego a week ago, I did the thing. I compared different ticketing apps just for the heck of it, and See Geek one hundred percent to add the best deals on tickets that I could find in San Diego. So it is the best place to go bar none for your baseball ticketing needs. Not just baseball, but concerts, festivals and so forth. Are tons and tons of events that you can find on the app. And of course we have a promo code for you to use. You can use code Territory ten for ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at Sea Geek. That's ten percent off any MLB tickets with promo code Territory ten. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so that you can use it later. Thank you, See Geek. We are back here on Snake's Territory. Really appreciate all of you being here with us as always, it really helps us out. If you would drop a like on this bit. It's a great way to support the show. Another great way is to subscribe to our channel here on YouTube. Hit the bell icon for notifications so that you never miss an episode, and if you like to listen to us in audio only format on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, et cetera. It also really helps us out if you would leave us a five star review. So thank you in advance for being here, for doing all of those things, we really really appreciate it. Before we get to some of the negatives with the injury updates and so forth, I do want to look at the standings here, Jack, because this was a big weekend for the Arizona Diamondbacks when it came to the wild card race. The Miami Marlins continue to struggle. They have now lost six consecutive games, and of course Dbacks taking two out of three against Saint Louis helps as well, and Jack, they now sit just half a game behind that third wild card spot. Granted, there are still three teams ahead of them. The Cardinals, Marlins and Pirates are all effectively tied for that third wild card spot as of right now. But we don't have our little buy sell O meter graphic for this show. But if Mike Hazen had to make this call tomorrow, I think it's pretty safe to say that Diamondbacks are buyers at the trade deadline.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it was already in the by section. I mean, I don't think we need to flat line it to be like super aggressive buy. Yeah, we're not there yet, for sure. Mike's not there yet. For sure I should say I'm not the GM.
Speaker 1: What you think is what matters most.
Speaker 2: So I mean, I guess the point is is that, yes, winning two out of three from the Cardinals was very important and moves the ball forward. Certainly doesn't push them back towards sell or not do anything. But there's still time left here to move this thing in either direction, right, I mean, Okay, you've got three against the A's, you have a certain expectation. You've got to go play the Cardinals again on Thursday, and then you know you're going to be playing the Nationals and you're going to be playing the Pirates on the road, so you know before you come back home. So I think that you know, we're not going to really really know where they're at until they actually go and play the Pirates and the Nationals and finish off those because the Nationals are only a game and a half back in the d Backs. I think, you know, they're right there and most people expect them to fall off, but they haven't. Yeah, they haven't fallen back. And of course the Pirates, I mean, you know, they're they're ahead of the d Backs by half a game, I think. Right, So, you know, at this point, I don't think you can count those chickens by any means and say, oh, he's definitely a buyer. I still need to see more before I'm convinced that that's what he's going to do. And also, there still aren't enough teams selling to be a s buyer, right, I mean, that's that's the whole thing. Part other part of this dynamic. There's still only seven teams that you can easily identify, maybe eight if you squint a little bit, that you could say, okay, those teams should be selling. And of those, some of them actually don't have good pieces to sell. It's like overpriced veterans and you know, underperforming guys on expiring contracts, et cetera, et cetera. So it's not a great buyer's market. I still think that it's just as likely that we just see teams that are both in contention trading you know, strength for strength right or filling gaps and just seeing where they match up. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it'll be fascinating to see how that materializes the next couple of weeks, whether there are enough buyers or enough sellers to actually make for an interesting trade deadline. One thing I will say about this series and the games the Diamondbacks have played against St. Louis this year, the Cardinals don't look like that grade of a team to me. And I know we're talking about six games the d Backs have played against them, and that's a very small sample size, but just getting to know this Cardinals roster a little bit, it feels like the bullpen is quite shaky. I think they would be in position to have to make substantial upgrades in that regard, and their rotation has a number of guys with dcent eras, but you look at some of the underlying stuff and it's not great. And you know, I think they have some really solid position players like JJ Weatherholtz and Jordan Walker have both been awesome. But I think just seeing the Cardinals up close these these past few weeks and in these games the d Backs have played, it's been like, Yeah, this is a team that d Backs absolutely can hang with. I might take their roster over Saint Louis's. And you think about the Marlins and them kind of falling back down to earth, and you know, the Nationals playoff odds are actually very low because you know, fan grafts, projection systems don't view them favorably moving forward. So you know, I just observing the landscape right now, it feels like the Diamondbacks as flawed as they are. And I don't want to make it sound like they're not flawed in some of the same ways that the Gardinals are, but they're right in this thing. I don't think this is a situation where in the National League the level of competition is so high that it's like, yeah, no, the d Backs that they don't belong in the same category as these teams. I think they absolutely do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, their playoff odds went up to twenty seven point four percent on fangrass today. There's another website, Deserve to Win, has an an interesting way to put together. Their odds are at twenty five percent, and I gather that Baseball Reference is going to be in that range tomorrow as well, So I mean that's kind of where they're at, twenty five twenty seven percent chance. You know, the Pirates are an interesting team. I mean, you know, whether or not they play up to and win as many games as they should be winning on paper is another big question mark there, ironically with the Pirates is you know, their offense has been the strength of their team and their pitching hasn't been as good as expected. So well, that's an interesting development too, and you know, we'll see how it goes when we play them head to head.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, as great as these past couple of days have been for the Diamondbacks, there also have been quite a few injury updates that we've gotten in the process. Some of them are positive, but one that is certainly not positive, Jack, is that Corbyn Carroll left Sunday's game early with what has been called a hyper extended right elbow. He looked very uncomfortable on a swing in the bottom of the seventh inning and his next at bat he was replaced by Jorge Barossa. As of right now, he's being called day to day. It sounds like there's a chance he could be in the lineup tomorrow against the A's. I don't know if that's super likely, but they haven't ruled that out. So not a full on disaster here, Jack, but not good news either, especially as Corbyn has had some better swings here in recent days.
Speaker 2: Well. He also said though that he felt this before, but it didn't it went away right away, and this time it lingered. Yeah, so you know that doesn't sound right to me. I mean, I don't know why they wouldn't err on the side of caution here. Look, the guy's phenomenal athlete, he's you know, very tough. He's played through so much. They're not planning on getting him any imaging. I don't know. I for my money, I just give him the day off, Just get him in the tunnel and double check it, make sure it's okay, make sure there's no damage done there, give him, give him a game off, and then come back on Tuesday. That's the way I would play it. But I don't run things.
Speaker 1: We'll see what they do. We know that Corbyn is the type of guy who wants to be in there as much as he can, and he is not unwilling to play through discomfort. It feels like he's been doing that for pretty much the entire season at this point, so be interesting to see how the Diamondbacks handle that.
Speaker 2: We also got working out very well lately, is it No? I mean yes, he hit the home run off the foul pole in Game two of the series, and he hit a double off the center field ball today and I get it, like, you know, he's still Corbyn Carrol, but you know, he's had a really rough time and certainly injury and discomfort has probably been an issue all along underlying and they just don't like to talk about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that is very fair. Other injury updates, we got Jordan Lawler, who has been dealing with that hamstring injury, the forty seventh hamstring injury he's had over the past few years. At least that's kind of what it feels like. But Lawler is still in the process of working his way back. A recent MRI showed that there's still some signs of that injury, a signal in theres with Tory Leavello. How Tory Levello described it, he did take live batting practice against Justin Martinez actually, so that was good to see. He's taking steps in the right direction, but still not fully cleared for base running, and I don't know, Jack, We'll see how long it takes for that to happen. It's kind of unpredictable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, he's probably in a situation where he's not allowed to do full running. So I think that it's at least two to three weeks that we're still looking at with him. I mean, it's definitely you know, Tory said, we're looking at the calendar flipping, So I mean, figure, you know, first week of August is your best case scenario for Jordan Lawler to return. So anybody wondering about the outfield and what to do with this guy or that guy, you don't really need to consider Jordan for at least two weeks.
Speaker 1: Good injury update on Ryan Nelson. He is going to start a throwing program in the coming days. He had a good MRI on Friday, and so yeah, he is starting the road back to the big leagues. There's sort of this lingering question over his role when he returns. Would the Diamondbacks use him as a reliever instead of a starter in order to get him back a little bit sooner. Certainly the build up would be a longer process if he's trying to get out to five innings, eighty five pitches or whatever. So we don't have any answers on that right now, but that'll be interesting to monitor their what their plan is there. Aj Puck some not great injury news with him. He is getting a second opinion on his shoulder injury from doctor Neil Latrash, and of course Zach Gallon also going to visit doctor Ela Trash on Monday. So the dbacs are keeping him busy right now, which is never a position you want to be in. Just sticking on Puck for a second, Jack, I think it's fair to say his Diamondbacks career has probably run its course at this point.
Speaker 2: I would say that's most likely the case. Yeah, I don't see him, you know, getting cleared to throw and be able to come back and do anything and help the team this year.
Speaker 1: Last one we have here is Lordus Guriel Junior. He was actually placed on the injure list since our last episode. This happened on Saturday. It is a strained right adductor. The Diamondbacks recalled Adrian delca Stio from Triple A Reno in a corresponding move. Delca Steo went on to actually have a really productive game on Sunday. He was a big part of the Diamondbacks making this comeback. So you and I had talked about Lordis for a while, Jack and him just really needing to turn things around. I guess this injury maybe contributed to that in some ways. But it doesn't sound like Lordis is going to be down for too long either.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he heard it on a I think on a swing he felt something tweak, something that's actually kind of like in his thigh, in his inner thigh there. So you know, the the reason he was struggling was not this particular injury, but Tory felt very confident that it was going to be the shortest and possible wherever we heard that before. But take your time, Lordis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's fair, And I mean, regardless of Lordis's Lordis's performance on the field, which obviously hasn't been great. The d Backs have so we've discussed, they've they've rushed some guys back, or at least that's what it's felt like at times, and definitely seems like that wouldn't be a situation where you'd want to do that. So lots of injury updates there. Again, not all of them terrible, there's some good news in there. We'll be sure to keep you updated on all of those. As always, we've got more to get to in this episode. A few final notes. We're going to look ahead at this A's series that the Diamondbacks have coming up, but first it is time for our Daily Dingers segment here on Snake's tear Ratory. Well, of course, Snake's Territory is brought to you by Fan Duel Baseball fans. The MLB season is in full swing and fan Duel is giving you a chance to call your shot with Daily Dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why fan Duel is the home of home runs. Jack, what do you got in this series against the A's Be honest and say they're they're pitching is it doesn't have the greatest reputation coming into this series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we're going to talk about that in a little bit, but they are. The Dbacs are facing a couple lefties in this series, so they've done well against left handed pitching. I like Nolan Aaron Otto to continue to use his power stroke and damage do some damage on lefties. Would love to see his two thousand, two thousand it come on via the home run. So I'm gonna go with Nolan.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna be a little bold here and say that Tyler Locklear is gonna go yard in one of those games. We saw Locklear get his his first action on in this Sunday game, and yeah, he certainly was hot in triple A Reno. Maybe he's able to continue that against a lefty versus the A's. So those are our Those are our picks. Head on over to FanDuel dot com slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot Com Slash Podcast. To opt in for daily dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer, playball and swing for the fences on fan Duel, an official partner of Major League Baseball.
Speaker 3: No purchase necessary, opt in required, bonus issue does non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem caller Tex one eight hundred Ambler.
Speaker 1: We are back here on Snake's territory. One quick note before we continue. As we said in our last show, the twenty twenty six All Star Collection is available now over at foul Territoryshop dot com. They have these really sweet t shirts, one with Eduardo Rodriguez and another with Corbyn Carrol for Diamondbacks fans. And I'll throw this back up on the screen. If you scan this QR code, it'll take you right there and you can get your hands on those some great new fines over at foul Territoryshop dot com. And more more stuff on the way as well, so be sure to check that out. Jack. Diamondbacks have, of course, another very big series coming up here. Every game is big, even if it isn't against one of these direct wildcard opponents. The A's are coming to town. The A's come in forty two and fifty seven. They are not a good baseball team. We'll start here with the pitching matchups for this series. As you mentioned, couple of lefty here. Jeffrey Springs will go on Monday against Mitch Bratt for the Diamondbacks. Tuesday is going to be right hander Jack Perkins, for the A's against a pitcher that we do not know TBD for the d Backs. Our best guest there is Cole Drake being called up from Triple A. Jose Cabrera not an option there, it would be too early to recall him back from the miners. And then the finale of the series is gauge Jump for the A's another lefty against right hand ram Mary Kelly for the Diamondbacks. So Jack, what stands out to you heading into this series?
Speaker 2: Well, remember that the A's playing in Sacramento, I mean basically are the Colorado Rockies of the American League. The park factor in Sacramento this year single U park factor is one hundred and twenty, meaning it's that park is their home park is inflating offense by a whopping twenty percent in twenty twenty six. And what that's translated into who is tremendous home and road splits. For example, their offense hits eight ten ops at home and six forty four and on the road likewise, their era is six point five seven at home four point seven on the road I mean two and a half runs difference better on the road and like so, for example, if you go back to the matchups chart. If you look at Jeffrey Springs, it's six point oh a d r A, but on the road it's a little bit more respectable. Five point nine Perkins is about a run lower, almost a run lower at six point eight on the road. Engage jump is zero point seventy five ERA in four starts on the road, So a little bit better pitching on the road from those guys. Not quite as bad as those surface numbers look. But on the other hand, the A's are without their best player, Nick Kurtz, so that's going to help the Diamondbacks pitching staff perhaps control the A's offense a little bit. Mitch Bratt is probably speaking to him on a seventy pitch limit, maybe he could go up to eighty, he said, so I wouldn't really count much length there. And that's gonna be a tough situation because the Tbecs had to use their bullpen a lot this weekend, and as a matter of fact, they're making a roster move. Wam Burgos is coming up, Philip Abner's going down. It's just to kind of fill a gap there and give them another arm. But you know they're going to need at least five innings from Bratt in this game, I think to be able to reasonably manage their bullpen. They're in this. You know, they're three games into a thirteen straight game stretch without any days off. Cole Drake is, like we said, is likely to start. He hasn't pitched since July ninth, I believe, yeah, So you know, maybe he threw some kind of you know, sim game or something in tween to get keep stretched out. And then of course you know you have Merrill come bringing up the rear there on Wednesday, going against Gage Jump, who's a very good pitcher, you know, so that Meryl's gonna have to be on this game that day, day game, getaway game against a good pitcher. I really would like to see Meryll have one of his better games.
Speaker 1: The A's have been in that kind of scary territory in recent days where they've lost so many games that you're like, oh, man, like this this is the trap series, right The people always talk about the A's. In July, they won their first game of the month against the Dodgers. They beat the Dodgers seven to one, and then they proceeded to lose their next ten games. I guess nine games going into the All Star Break, and then they lost their first game out of the break twenty three to four to the Nationals, and then the next day they beat the Nationals fifteen to one. Very very bizarre series there against against Washington. I guess that goes back to what we were saying earlier about that outrageous ballpark that they're playing games in right now, and then they lost the finale of that Nats series. They lose two out of three there, They've only they've only won two games in the month of July, and looking at the roster, I don't think it's a good team, but I do think there's a little bit more talent there than those results would indicate. So the Diamondbacks certainly in a difficult position pitching wise. As you said, e Rod only given them two and two thirds on Sunday was kind of a disaster from a bullpen management standpoint. So you know, you hope Mitch Bratton, Cole Drake, or whoever it is on Tuesday can give the give the d back some length there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some people might be wondering about Herodo Carreo Carrio. It looks like his addition to the forty man roster was a upward mobility move where there was a clause in his contract where he needed to be added to the forty man roster by a certain date, so he was added to the forty man roster, was added to the roster, and then optioned to Triple A Reno. So, I mean, I can't say for sure that it won't be him that gets to start, but I don't think so. I think it's going to be Drake, but we'll see. We just don't have any indication.
Speaker 1: Before we get out of here, Jack, I do want to touch on one Diamondbacks player who made a big contribution in this Cardinal series, and that is Brandon Fought. We don't need to dwell on the Saturday game here. I know it's sort of old news, but the Diamondbacks won this game five to three and fought very much set the tone for this one five in the third innings, six hits, two runs, no walks, three strikeouts. He got his pitch count up to eighty seven, which is the first time we've seen him touch the eighties since returning from Triple A Reno. So the pitch count is getting built back up to a more normal place, and his numbers since coming back from Reno stellar across the board, four to oh. D Backs have won all four of his starts twenty one innings, a two to one four ERA, a point nine to five whip. He's not missing a ton of bats jack with thirteen strikeouts, but he's also only walked one guy. And that's Brandon Fought at his best, where he just his command is excellent and he just kind of attacks hitters and doesn't walk anyone. And that's the version of him that we've seen since him coming back up.
Speaker 2: And just as importantly, he's limiting the damage against left handed batters something pristine. You know, some of the damage that he has given up basically has all been to lefties. But the ops against is only six eighty three, you know, and if you look at some of his numbers and previous portions of his career, so you know, a couple hundred points higher than that. Frequently against left handed pitching, he's given up one double, one triple, one homer amongst twelve hits. He's faced forty six batters forty six tam batters. So you know, he's doing that with some changes in his sequencing and also in which pitches he's using a little you know, more of the four seam fastball. The curve ball has been working for him pretty well as well as changeup. He's limiting the sweeper against lefties and that approach has really worked. And meanwhile, righties aren't touching him. They're hitting one ninety four with a four to ten. Ops. It's only four starts, but you know, this is really encouraging to see. I mean, Brandon thought able to you know, contain the damage against lefties, throw strikes, pitch to contact, and be efficient. Yeah, that's that's the random thought that we we know and love.
Speaker 1: The last Fought note that I'll bring up here is that he's generating a lot more ground balls than he has in the past. He has a fifty percent ground ball rate over that span of four starts, which is excellent. I mean, that would be indicative of, like, you know, what we would call a ground ball pitcher. And if you think back to Brandon Fought when he first came up, he was very much not a ground ball pitcher. And that was kind of the concern was like, all right, this guy's gonna rack up some strikeouts. He's not gonna really walk guys, but he's probably gonna be very home run prone because you know, he's throwing a bunch of high four seam fastballs and there's a pretty good chance that some of those are going to go over the fence. Even the sweeper is you know, can be a good swing and mispitch, but actually tends to generate quite a few fly balls. And it's not just the span of four starts. He His ground ball rate for the season is fifty point five percent, far and away his highest ground ball rate of any season in the big leagues. And I think, even though you would love to see fots start missing more bats, you know, get back to having a strikeout rate that's right around league average, maybe even a little north of that. We've seen glimpses of that version of him, but I think this can kind of work. Like, Okay, maybe his strikeout rate is quite a bit below the league average, but as long as he's not walking anyone and he's generating this much contact on the ground, I think this can be sustainable for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and major shout out to Doug Dreibek and Jeff Badgenaro, the pitching coaches in Triple A. I mean, clearly, those guys did great work with Brandon, working with him together, helping him figure a few things out while he was down there. That certainly was a very productive, fruitful time for him.
Speaker 1: Really cannot imagine where the Diamondbacks would be if Brandon Fought had come back up from the majors or come back up from the miners and kind of look like the same guy he was earlier in the season. I mean, this has come at a perfect time for this team, battling lots of rotation depth issues, and Fought has very much answered the call up to this point. Well, we are, as always, so thankful that all of you have stuck around this long and been here with us on this episode. As always, you can find us on social media. I am Jesse N. Friedman on Twitter. Jack is at sho Wizard fifty nine, and our show is at Snake's Territory. You can find all of Jack's written work over at Arizona Diamondbacks on SI Jack. Any final thoughts here as we head into a new week.
Speaker 2: Well, I just think that the Diamondbacks need to keep rolling here. You can't let up. They've got to keep the intensity. I hope that there's no letdown. Sometimes there is after a game, like like we just saw, they got to come out firing first thing Monday. They can't put themselves in a hole in this series.
Speaker 1: It's a trap series, right, That's what That's what we say about. You know, your facing the team that's lost a whole bunch of games recently. We'll see if the d Backs can continue this nice run, and we are excited to join you along the way. Our next show will be on Wednesday. Am I remembering that right, Jack? Yes? I think so.
Speaker 2: I believe that is the case.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we will we will theoretically, we think we will be back with you on Wednesday. You can, as always check out our Twitter account. We try to post our schedule there in the early part of the week, so be on the lookout for that. But once again, thank you to all of you for being here with us on this episode. We really appreciate your time and we'll be back with another edition of Snakes Territory very very soon.