Speaker 1: Howard. I'm so glad I saved your number.
Speaker 2: My husband Phil at a construction site.
Speaker 3: It is in critical condition and I knew it wasn't safe.
Speaker 4: I'm very sorry to hear that. I just want to let you know I'm here to help.
Speaker 1: Yeah, tell me more about it.
Speaker 4: Work injuries not only affect the victim, but also everyone around them. Inc Lawn, Chicago based here to advocate on your behalf with over one hundred attorneys and staff. If you or somebody you know has questions about a work injury called three one two six million injury law made Personal. That's aake in law.
Speaker 5: From your favorite source for Chicago White Sox talk, delivering news, interviews, analysis and more. This is The Sox Machine podcast with your hosts Jim Margolis, James Began, and Josh Nelson.
Speaker 6: Here. Everyone, welcome to the Sox Machine.
Speaker 3: I'm your host, Josh Nelson, and it's Sunday, June twenty first, twenty twenty six as we record this episode, it's Father's Day. So to all the dads out there, we all hope that you had a wonderful Father's Day.
Speaker 6: The Chicago White Sox did not have a.
Speaker 3: Good weekend as they were swept in the three game series against the Tigers. Our show Rundown for this episode the White Sox road Wares. We'll be talking about just the difficulties have been having away from rape Field, bull bend concerns again as Sir Anthony Domingus again cannot lock up the save, where's the offense? And review the Big American League Central series against the Cleveland Guardians. First, let's talk about the Chicago White Sox road wares as they are fifteen to twenty five away from rape Field. Here's Chicago White Sox manager Will Vennable addressing those issues the White Sox are facing.
Speaker 1: We're looking at everything.
Speaker 2: I think that's part of what we do on a daily basis is you know, what is it that we can do better to support this group today?
Speaker 1: And that you know includes when we're at home too.
Speaker 2: So you know, there's not been a thing that we've been able to put our finger on to you know, explain the difference. You know, for me, I think that you know in forty plus game sample that you know, a lot of teams you know, are sub five hundred on the road, and certainly we have a big disparity in our record. I think it speaks as much to our home advantage and our fans coming out and supporting us in the way that our players respond to our home fans as much as anything else.
Speaker 6: So we'll figure it out.
Speaker 2: These guys, you know, continue to put themselves in good spots to half chances to win. We just got to do a little more on the road.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: Joining me on the Sox Machine podcast is Sox Machines Managing editor. It's Jim Margulus And before we get started, Jim, Happy Father's Day.
Speaker 6: Did you have a good Father's Day?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Solo dating this week. Uh. So, it's a lot of fothering. It's uh, it's good. It's a lot easier to do it when he's four versus three. Here there's some stuff he can do by himself, more friends to play with, so it's less handholding, less crying, less of the terrible threes, which are terrible twos don't exist as far as I'm concerned. Two was fine, three was miserable. Four there's a little bit more reason to go along, a little bit more of here's our plan, and we're gonna leave this place peacefully before we show up, right, you're gonna remember that you agreed to leave peacefully without screaming when the fun is over, that sort of thing. So yeah, it's it's it's it's good, it's it's yeah. Three was tough.
Speaker 3: Well to all the dads again. Happy Father's Day, Jim. The White Sox did not have a good weekend in Detroit. As I mentioned in the intro, their dads and the road rows are continuing to pick up like this is now becoming a serious topic, and I guess, or our expectations coming to the season, it shouldn't be a surprise, but now that our expectations have been changing mid season, the White Sox have now lost seven straight road series. They are now fifteen and twenty five on the road, and you've already played half of your road games this year.
Speaker 6: If you double that number, you're.
Speaker 3: On base to be twenty games below five hundred on the road, which means that you have to be just as good or even better at home, which they have been. That's why they still have a winning record. Will Venable, I guess, based on what we just heard from in the intro, he's trying to find an answer as far as is there a better process that we should be doing to play better on the road. But what do you make of the White Sox road ros to start this season.
Speaker 1: They're weird because they're not what you would expect, Like I would think if the White Sox were beat on the road, it's because they're not hitting on the road, because maybe they're a little two reliant on the offense hitting homers at home and those cheap or wind aided fly balls to right field don't carry the same kind of like the Kaufman Stadium problems of just going to a bigger park or a park with less friendly corners, all of a sudden, they have to sequence plate appearances better, they have to defend better, and they're just not doing that. But in this case, like they're hitting actually better on the road, Like that's not necessarily the problem. So that's the first place I looked, And that's not the issue. They are, you know, at least of late they're playing decent teams on the road, or you have good teams like the Yankees and Phillies, like that's you know, and we're trying to figure out this new like White Sox. But then they lost, you know, a series against the Twins. They lost the series against the Giants, so like, it's it's been longer running than that. The one number that jumped out to me, like the pitching is the big disparity, and that's what's confusing, just because you would that if pitching staff, it's that can give if the homer would get in trouble, they'd have problems at home as much as they would in the road. But actually they're pitching better at home. So like, the one thing I wonder is looking at the babbit batting average on balls and play forty points higher on the road. So I'm curious, you know, that could be luck. That could be you know, it's a small sample. It's less than half a season divided into half seasons, so it's it can be a little bit wonky. But part of me wondered, if you have younger players and perhaps this outfield that's been kind of a mishmash all year, does it change the way they're defending, does it change the way they're positioned to where the pitching staff is not getting its usual support. Yeah, I looked at this just out of curiosity, see if it was a weird right field thing. Now, the batting average on balls and play is pretty even for hitting for the White Sox batters home and away, but on the he ha's like two sixty AT's home, it's three oh seven on the road for batting average balls and play a lot more hits, a lot more longer at bats. So that could not Yeah, maybe it's not defense, but it could be you know, who knows, like just you know, besides luck, it could be pitchers being perhaps because they're trailing, they put in their front in the bullpen, or they have starters or eating it just because they have to get an inning where you know they're not. You normally wouldn't have them in if they are leading, and so just games get away from them because they're already trailing and you don't use your better pittures while trailing. It could be just a simple matter of that. But if you're looking for like something more concrete or something I'll be paying attention to just to see like is there anything there. That's one thing that jumped out to me, just with maybe outs not being converted and just because the pitching staff isn't elite, you know, it's still young, still uneven. Yeah, we're watching guys go through first full seasons. Uh, could be a case where you know, it's it's just noise. But maybe they need you know, great defense or all the defense the White Sox can provide them, and when they don't, it gets kind of hairy. That's really like a theory all throughout there. Not necessarily what I believe, but something I noticed and can think of some moments kind of flashing before my eyes of just like, yeah, the defense, maybe uh wasn't that great so or there was some miscommunication in the gaps by the walls, et cetera. But yeah, it could also just be a noise from lesser pitchers being used.
Speaker 3: With the whole bab up stat like three oho seven seems to be closer to normal. Jim, the two sixty at home, that's a surprising number to me. Like I fear regression to the mean would be coming for the White Sox pitchers at home.
Speaker 1: It could be you know, I have to look at it, but it could be a case where just rate field being a smaller field, harder to drop hits in. Okay, I buy that. Yeah, Like you know, some like Corus Field because the outfield's massive, that's why the batting average is so inflated. But with rate field being uh, you know, symmetrical, being no weird gaps to cover and the alleys are pretty small, like it's bad park for triples. Also, you know, not a great park for batting, average, great park for homer's, great park, or a good park for offense overall because of the homers. But if you're not hitting homers, then maybe it's a little harder to especially as defenses get better, positioning gets better, harder to really just get those hits when you need a hit.
Speaker 3: So other than the annoyance of not being confident anymore, when the White Sox on the road, it's like, what an amazing week four and one against the Atlanta Braves in Los Angeles, Dodgers, Wow, turn that around one in five against the Yanke He's and Todd getting swept by the Tigers after not getting swept by the Yankees is very disappointing. And if you didn't get a chance to watch the series. The opening game, the White Sox actually had a lead against Derek Scuolball. I know everyone pays attention to the verbal spat that was going on between school bull and injured pitcher slash clubhouse wizard Mike Vassel, but the White Sox had a three to two lead, Tristan Peters made a defensive blunder. Tigers end up winning that game board at three. That's a disappointing loss. The next day, Sam Antonaci had the lead off homer.
Speaker 6: That's it.
Speaker 3: That's pretty much the extend of the offense. The White Sox lost four to one, and then on Sunday. This leads into the bullpen concerns because Davis Martin I thought Jim had a nice bounce back start. Sure, the strikeout to walk rate not great. I think he had four strikeouts to three walks. He did have to deal with some traffic, but he only allowed one run over six innings on seventy seven pitches and a two run lead for Ryan Hudson, Grant Taylor, and Sir Antony Dominguz. Those are the three best relievers Jim that Will Venable has right now.
Speaker 6: Hudson did his job.
Speaker 3: But Grant Taylor again allowed another home run, and Sir Anthony Domingus he got the first two guys out, but then he stumbles, allows an infield single and then things just start coming apart again on Sir Antony Dominguez. So with Grant Taylor and Siranty Domingez kind of having really rough outings the last couple of times have been out there. Do you have concerns with Grant Taylor and Sir Antony Dominguz.
Speaker 1: Have I think a case where Dimingas is somebody who's hit the ceiling of setup. Man As somebody with good stuff, but platoon concerns and command concern and so like, that's why he's typically been used in the eighth inning of a team. Doesn't have to use him in the ninth just because you can use him against righty's, you can use them. He's at the last line of defense. You can have somebody warming the bullpen, a left handed component ready in the bullpen if needed to, where you know it's not an insult if you pull him, versus in the ninth. Typically don't have somebody warming up when the closers in the game. And so there's this general concern about Domingas. If the splitter wasn't what he needed to neutralize lefties enough, then he has problems in this case. Like the mistake was a sweeper, he had Dingler in a one to two counts. The fastball did what it should have done in terms of getting behind. He was chasing away like all he had to do. And this is very simple, but in terms of like you can understand the thought process. It wasn't the case where he had to execute a pitch that he doesn't really excute that often. Sweeper is a good pitch for him. Just had to get off the plates, left it up, elevated on the outer third Dingler smash it. So like that's execution error versus like the weakness of Dominga's wearing its ugly head. Also, he had like the infield single by a hair of a step that you kept the ending going. So a little bit of bad luck, a little bit of you know, McGonagall beating him, and then a little bit of just mortality or just uh, decent hitter beating a decent picture because it happens in baseball, and when it happens the ninth inning, it's under the microscope. And Dominga's like when you put them under the microscope, there are things you notice that aren't that flattering, and then when you zoom out you still notice them. So that's why, like you know, the white sox on in the contract they signed him to, which is kind of the contract that's a bet on somebody who might be able to close versus a proven closer versus like son of Mag's established as a setup guy. So yeah, you have concerns about him just hitting that ceiling over and over again. Taylor is like weird just because he has these characteristics James writes about of just you know, he has this great stuff. He has a starter's arsenal, he's got extension. The individual pitches great out well, and sometimes like he just gets burned, like whether it's a homer, whether it's you know again batting avergement balls to play like sequencing bad luck week hits, you know, solid hits. There's this element of like why is it come together? Why is he why is he have reverse splits somehow? Like there's there are these kind of components that just never quite fit and it's hard to know. I think, you know, having James on hand to write about pictures, it's a little bit of a double edged sword because like he still get a drilling down, uh, And I don't think many teams have somebody covering them who drills down to pictures to where is the case where do all elite relievers have weird things going on? That just aren't being explored because their savorr it's okay. Or is the case where Taylor does have some strange characteristics that are maybe unique to him or unique to his the strength of his arsenal just you know, and also his youth relative and experience relieving that you know it's there are some warts or lumps he takes when he tries to put it all together over the course of a full season. So you know, it's sticks out in my head, I should say, of like when the failures come up, like well, you know, he does have reverse splits somehow, and you know, like, yeah, it does have to locate the curveball. If lefties are spitting on the curveball, then you know, perhaps the fastball becomes more you know, vulnerable. Yeah it's Taylor. I'm still trying to figure out for a number, because it seems like he's trying to figure himself out for whittling down his arsenal and handling relievers. Could be a case too, where like a mid season wall, little bits of just league figuring my little bit stuff isn't as sharp and so they can game plan from a little bit better. Mistakes get hit harder. I would say I have more faith in Taylor figuring it out versus Dimingas because Dominga's' flaws are well established and every team that's used him as closers kind of wrestled with this a little bit. But both I think have a cause for concern. Yeah, not like severe, I would say lingering cause for concern that the pieces don't quite fit right, especially if like Taylor's being used for multiple innings then is unavailable and Dimingus more has to be the guy that, yeah, he has weaknesses being so yet it's it's not an elite bullpen. And when the office is scoring, then did the the scrutiny intensifies simply like Hudson when he had that rough patch of just like well, he has been DFAD an awful lot in his career. It's where you know, all of a sudden, him showing up in this lockdown lefty form is new, and when he regression sets in, you think like, oh, oh is turning to pumpkin, and like, no, he's fine, He's just good not greats. And so sometimes I think with Taylor there's also a case where he's good not greats and then just having this sudden contending level of scrutiny and slimmer margin for error or the errors that are made are felt more. That's new and we'll see how they handle it.
Speaker 3: I think with Domingez, my take on this situation in he told James Spgan during that excellent piece about the bullpen that you could read on soxsmachine dot com, is that Dimingus really wants every save opportunity. But moving forward, I don't know how Will Venable trusts him to do that his last two outings against the Dodgers and the Tigers, I should say, in his last two save opportunities, because he did on Saturday, just to get some work in.
Speaker 6: It's been to Alex Colomelake.
Speaker 3: I continue to use this phrase because he just continues to put base runners on And it was the same situation, Jim, It's seven eighty nine. If you can't trust Sir Anthony Domingus to face the bottom of the order in any medium to high leverage late inning situation, what do you do with this guy? And I don't know if I'm Will Venable, I don't know how I can have any confidence in Dimingus. You're still gonna need him with his home stand against two Ale Central opponents.
Speaker 6: Maybe you bitch him in the seventh, maybe you bitch him in the eighth.
Speaker 3: You do risk of him getting upset that he's not getting save opportunities because that's why he signed with the White Sox and that's what he was sold on. And maybe you do have grant Taylor pitch that ninth inning. There are White Sox fans though that after Sunday's game thought Taylor should have pitched two innings because he's not pitching all that frequently. Jim, and I'm under the impression that Venable did not pushe Taylor into the ninth inning. So he has Taylor available to use either a Monday or Tuesday against Cleveland. You might be able to only use Taylor a couple times a week. So I don't know how Venable handles this moving forward, but I don't think it's a Venable issue. It's just that Taylor and Domingas need to do their job, especially Sir Anthony Domingus, because if this continues and you don't have a lot of confidence in what Dimingas can do in medium or to high level situations during the season, I don't know how you use him.
Speaker 6: It just feels like it's ten million dollars.
Speaker 3: It's a complete waste.
Speaker 1: Well, I think with Dominga is like it was fine having him close because it was the bottom of the order, right. They shape these saves to where Taylor faces the tougher part or maybe the lefties, and then when the ninth inning rolls run, oftentimes ninth innings do roll around to the bottom the order just because of the way you know, twenty seven outs rolls. Is that oftentimes, in an average game with an average number of plate appearances, the bottom of the order comes up last, and so there will be saved situations. What's weird to me about Domingas is like the number of days off he's had this month, Like you know, looking at the day's rest, like this was the first time he's pitched with like one day's rest. Otherwise it's like five three. He's pitched on back to back days once and then had another three days rest and another four days rest, so he's been infrequently used. Even going back to last month too, he had six days rest at one point. So you get the situation of like if it is rust or if it is a case where you know he doesn't get many Yeah, and the roles he was previously working in, Like he'd just be working as a set up guys. Sometimes they'd be trailing by one, sometimes they'd be ahead by one, and so he'd work more regularly. Whereas when they're trying to shoehorn shoehorn them into these ideal closer situations, or maybe they have him backing up Taylor, but then Taylor ends up going two winnings and they don't need him. You do get a case where like he doesn't pitch so like in terms of innings because he's missed time with injuries here and there. He's not off his usual innings total, but you know from last year when he was healthy and especially for the postseason, like, he does like to work. And so I wonder if because of this like level of distrust with him as the closer, but also not wanting to relegate him to seventh inning appearances when you know they'd be normally Sir Anthony Diminga is shaped in previous seasons. But you can't quite save him that because then they're saying you're not the closer. Uh, And then like the ninth in things don't roll around and like he can't be used for those either because Taylor's available, or you want your lefty in there instead. You might get situations where you just don't pitch him enough, and so he does come in these situations where it has to work and then it doesn't quite work. So I think it's maybe overall a little bit of an awkward existence to where Yeah, I mean, he's being paid like a good reliever, so he should pitch like a good reliever anytimes called upon. But he's also not working as much as he's used to working, and so it might be something where he's not feeling like himself either, And it's yeah, it's a strange fit right now with the way they paid him to close in the way he's not quite living up to it and the way will Avnable is reacting to it.
Speaker 3: Would you have Bush Davis Martin one more inning because he was only at seventy seven pitches through six.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I can see the argument both ways. If he started the inning, it would have been fine. He has t top concerns time times through the order, penalty concerns, like the third time through has been markedly worse than the second first, So if you're looking and if you ever bullpen lined up, sure, this might be the time to have him avoid that. You know, you're not saving Brian hug and you're not saving Grant Taylor like they're rested for the situation. Give it to him because how often does this happen where it's all lined up. Also, you know, it seems like Martin hit a wall. Speaking of mid season walls a little bit where he talked about being guessed and not executing the way he was. So if you see an opportunity to spare him an inning, spare him some pitches, you have him be more effective through the rest of the season. You take those little opportunities. So I could see, you know, not going with him. He wasn't necessarily dominant. He was fine. He's very effective, but it wasn't like he was blowing guys away, only four strikeouts, got double plays to get out of the ending, worked around some traffic. So yeah, I could see him starting the inning and like getting in trouble. But I could also see a case where it was very the opportunity was there to to cut it off after six quality start. Great job. All our best relievers are lined up for perfect handedness, in spot in the lineup deployments. Let's use He's let's use this opportunity while we haven't. So that's why I think I'm on the side where like what Venable did was fine.
Speaker 3: Now the opener this has been a I don't know if it's a sticky point for White Sox fans, but there are some that really do not like will Aventable using one of his relievers to start the game. This was asked to will Ventable over the weekend about his use of the opener. Here's White Sox manager Will Venable explaining his rationale continuing to use the strategy.
Speaker 2: You know, the players reactions as we've done it more, they've they've been more open to it. And really that's where it starts. You know, you are sensitive to the fact that these guys are very you know, routine oriented, and that certainly for a starting picture that using an open and disrupt that. You know, so you have different reactions to it. And in the case of when we've done it with Vetty and Burt, you know, they've they've responded very well to it.
Speaker 1: You know, as far as today.
Speaker 2: Goes, today is not a traditional opener. It's a bullpen day. But you know, as far as the benefits of an open is, you know, number one, you know you have some upside to the matchups up front, where in the case of let's say that the Tigers, where you have a green and a McDonald gold, that you know that regardless of if you throw a left to your righty, you're gonna get him the top four.
Speaker 4: You know it.
Speaker 2: Also, you know there's an adjustment usually by the opposition in which benefits you're both guy. So yesterday again a really good example where you have Burling in there. You know, you end up with an extra riety or two for Fetti, you're able to drop him and start him in a spot that's maybe more beneficial for him. So you know, there's a lot of benefits to it. And you know yesterday, even even with the two runs that they ended up scoring that you know maybe you don't love because you did use the opener, you know it really did put Eddie in a good spot to go through that line up a couple of times and was able to be successful and then tough luck play there that they ended up scoring. So there's a lot of benefits to it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but you know, in the right situations against the right line, it's a good strategy.
Speaker 3: Okay, Jim, we continue to see the opener by the White Sox. We'll be reviewing the upcoming series against Cleveland. Usually he's been using the opener for Sean Burke and Eric Vetty, and both those guys will be admiring in this upcoming series against Cleveland. We're about halfway through the season. Are you okay with the opener strategy.
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's fine, especially for the pitchers being used. I think like Sunday or I should say not in Sunday the finale with the Yankees, Sean Burke throwing the final seven to third inning after Brian Hudson was like, Yeah, that's that's the opener strategy. Like the perfect execution of it one and two thirds things by Hudson, Burke going the other twenty two outs. That's what I would point to, is the exact idea of what you're going for, like the perfect execution of it. Everybody living up to the idea. And then some like if Burke started the game and went seven and the third innings, he'd say, like, great start. So the fact that he like was the last pitcher used, I think is very satisfying and basically put him in a position to succeeed. I think same thing as Fetti. Like we were worried about Fetti, thinking like he is on the chopping block because like San Francisco lit him up and he just wasn't getting any guys out and they use the opener for that one, but like they stuck with it and like the next outing was fine, and like they've actually yeah, and like looking at his record of just the or the White Sox record in games he's pitched, Like they lost his game against Detroit, but he was fine in that one. They won the previous four, so it's working. Not always the prettiest. I think you get into the situation that like Rick Rentrie I think found especially objectionable, and he was the manager and like kind of the opener came into vogue and he didn't go along with it. It's just like when you get into the situation where the opener doesn't get out of the first it feels like what was the points You're already scrambling. It's a disaster, And sometimes it happens, but like in the case of Fetti's outing, against Atlanta that happened and he pitched five and they won the game and ten innings. So like, there are ways to get out of it, even if it looks especially ugly early. So yeah, I don't see any argument to go against it. It seems like Anthony k grumbled against it and then he pitched well enough to get out of that to where he needed somebody holding his hand in the starts. But like Fetti, probably not in a position to complain about it, even if he doesn't like it, given the year he had last year and what he signed for the White Sox. But you know, he's been pitching better than the White Soxs have been winning games. It's not like you're costing him arbitration earnings because he's not getting wins. Like he's somebody who just needs to contribute to a pitching staff. So I think he's like the ideal guy to open four and Burke. I think you would hope that as he evolves or kind of settles into what his final form is as a major league starter, then he can handle games by himself. But if he goes the final seven to the third inning, he has somebody open for him against a good offense. Then yeah, that shows at least he's not you know, making excuses or like pointing the finger at being asked to enter in the middle of an inning, like he's he handled it well. So yeah, I see no fault with the deployment of openers.
Speaker 3: I mean with how well Sean Newcome pitched in that bullpen game, Like maybe he's the ideal opener. I'm not crazy about Brandon Isisert me and the opener. Like, if you're gonna do this because you're facing strong lefties, I would probably go at Newcome, maybe Brian Hudson if you are going to continue to go back to back with Sean Berke and Eric Fetti and using the opener. Yeah, I'm just not I don't know what. I don't know how you use Brandon Eisert other than hey, we're down five, it's the eighth inning. How about you close this one out for us? Brandon, Like that's the only usage I could think of for him.
Speaker 1: No, he's he's not somebody who has splits really like he had reverse splitz last year. He has traditional splits this year and to the extent of like ops but like righty's are hitting three hundred against him. So it's a case where like lefties are doing more damage, but right you see him just fine. Like it's a strange case, but yeah, you're not. I think he might be useful as lefty against lefties who struggled against lefties, but coming in for the first inning and facing like usually if they're at the top of the order, their talented left handed hitters who manage lefties just fine. Yeah, I don't think his arsenal is shaped to get them out in a way that's especially useful.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I agree with you there, no, yeah, I but then again, who do you have right now in Charlotte that you can call up to replace Brandon isis or the pitching depth as you wrote, Jim is a kind of thin at the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, like, I don't think there's a Joe Rock was there now he's in the uh he's in the bullpen right now. But I think like they have relievers, just not lefty relievers.
Speaker 3: I can think of the Joe Rock experience is wild because it does not look good at all. But he's only given up like maybe a run in his three innings that he's pitching. It's not a pretty it's effectively wild.
Speaker 6: Joe rock Is.
Speaker 3: That's the White Sox bull event right now. They the team really could use them to step up. But I think to wrap up as far as that conversation, Sir Anthony Amingus Man, you can't fail anymore seven, eight, nine.
Speaker 6: You gotta lead.
Speaker 3: You want these saves, close the game, no excuses.
Speaker 6: Do your job, Bud.
Speaker 3: You're getting paid a lot of money, and it's not that difficult of a task. To your point, Jim Grant, Taylor's handling the harder task. Now, what would have helped this weekend for the White Sox in Detroit is scoring a lot more runs. They're offense was very quiet. They only scored eight runs in this three game series. Maybe the most devastating stat from this weekend, Colson Montgomery, Chase my Draft and Miguel Vargas combined two for thirty. That is very tough for the White Sox to get any type of offense going, especially with how will Venna Bull has been using all three of these hitters in the middle of the lineup. Montgomery went zero for eleven, my Draft one for ten, and Vargas one for nine. Sam Antonaci had a good weekend. He went four for ten, but playing the games at America Park, just watching these swings, it was a lot of fly balls that were just not carrying at K America, Jim and I'm wondering were the White Sox.
Speaker 6: Trying too hard to hit home runs in Detroit?
Speaker 1: Maybe not hit home runs in terms of selling out, but I think they were trying to attack pitches in the zone. Like I think they had an idea of, like, these guys can throw strikes pretty well, so we can't count on waiting them out into fastball counts. We need to attack the pitch that we want early. And I think, you know, it's kind of like the opposite of Hawk Erelson saying, you know, the more pitches you see, the more dangerous he become. I think it can pile up to where like we're not seeing many pitches, and so it just looks very very effective and just kind of flastied overall. And so you know, perhaps the extent that hitting is contagious, I think like sometimes not hitting is contagious. Or you get a situation where we've only made him throw twenty two pitches in three innings, and now we got to start taking pitches. But then you get bad counts and you get out of sorts a little bits, and you know, I feel bad for Luis on Helicunya because like that should have been his game on Sunday. Like he's been I think he settled into a role in June to where like he's been useful. Like it seems like he's not playing much center field because Tristan Peters has it handled, so he's more or less the backup shortstop, pinch runner occasional, yeah, maybe gets one start in a series, but like he's playing pretty well. He's hitting over four hundred in June. Like he's the ideal twenty six man right now, or like last man on the bench in that you don't have to play him all that much and you're still getting something from him when he plays, and you're not like having Jacob gonzalezit for no reason. So like I was really hoping that that game would be kind of a launch point for like, hey, this is Luis an Helicunya kind of like the I think what the White Sox were hoping for for somebody who can provide some usefulness in the ninth spot. Whenever it gets on base, it's great. And he showed power a little bit over the winter leagues, and to see that manifest itself in a major league game was cool. Maybe more of that. So that's my attempt to talk about Luise on Hilicuna when the bullpen overshadowed him. But I think, yeah, they they try to attack early. You know, I think, just you know, Miguel Vargas is off, and you know, he did get a half game of rest because he's been playing basically nearly every game, nearly every inning, and just looked off. He had some short of bats, he had some Yeah, he had a three pitch strikeout that wasn't great. Also, one thing that's kind of jumped out to me over the last two series is a lot of hitters not challenging and you could see him just like shaking their head and just yeah, And I'm I'm at home being like, you know, tap in my head just like that's I do that on my couch. Sometimes I just want to pitches off, just like might want to challenge that and they can't see me. But it happens to be like after Edgar Edgar Carroll burns one early on and so they're down to the last challenge and it does seem like they had again, like when they try to take pitches, then the count wasn't with them because the pitchers were around the plate enough and the catchers were doing a good, good enough job of getting those borderline strikes called for them to where it kind of piled up against them. So I'm willing to write it off as a bad series, just kind of a uninspiring week overall. Could be a case where you know there is some fatigue setting in. There is like fatigue in terms of just like not having I guess partially fatigue partially like you're counting on Miguel Vargus an awful lot when he wasn't expected to be that great entering the season. He's been wonderful this season in All Star of the season, but like there will be moments maybe where Miguel Vargus looks like the Miguel Vargus that we thought he was, And so you know, what's the counterpoint. And then you get into the case where like the nobody's producing for catchers, Coase Montgomery runs hot and cold, Braid Montgomery and Jacob Gonzalez or rookies, and so maybe the lineup isn't as deep as it sometimes looks or sometimes so I am curious. Then we're going to talk about this a little bit in terms of like when Kyle Teal comes back in LinkedIn's lineup, when catcher goes from being a zero to maybe being a plus, what does that look like for the rest of the lineup. But for the time being, you know, as long as they've had that hole in their lineup, and as long as they have a lot of inexperienced players a lot of like shuffling, you could have these ruts where if Colson isn't doing it, if Vargas has the odd week off then or should off week he's never off, then you do get in these situations where the offense doesn't come as easily.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think the one adjustment for future games play to k America because I know Colson Montgomery and James's latest column from Detroit that Montgomery is admitting that maybe with youth on their side, they don't know what they don't know. The thing about k America is if you're noticing that the ball is just not carrying, especially for Colson hitting a lot of fly balls that weren't reaching the warning track, it's this whole concept of you have to think small, and with Detroit throwing so many fastballs in the outer third against Colson or even off speed stuff, like he needs to make an adjustment next time he faces Detroit. In Detroit, don't be afraid to just flip those pitches to left field because the way that they pulled the outfield and we saw this with Tristan Peters's double, The left fielder against the lefty hitters for the White Sox was way in the gap, so you had that complete line. So if you just waited a little bit longer like Peters did and you flip it down the left field.
Speaker 6: Line, that's like an automatic double.
Speaker 3: So I just felt like there was more opportunities and in late game situations, Detroit was very much thinking small, just focusing not only just putting the ball in play, but hitting line drives, finding pitches that they can hit a line drive and put some pressure on the White Sox pitchers. There just wasn't a whole lot of pressure this weekend from the White Sox hitters against the Tigers pitchers. Not a lot of walks as well on this weekend, so I kind of question what the entire opensive game plan was coming to this series for the White Sox, but it just puts more stress in the bullpen. The margins are very small and that's how you get swept when things just don't bounce in your favor for the Chicago White Sox. But do want to also give a cap tip to Junior Prez for hitting his first major league home run off Trek Scooble of all pitchers, so that was a pretty cool moment. Junior Prez should have had his game on Friday. Jim Luisa, helicoon, you should have had his game on Sunday. Alas, the White Sox still gets swept. And now the Chicago White Sox come home, and this is a key home stand for the White Sox. It's against American League Central opponents, but none bigger than Monday through Wednesday, as the White Sox and the Cleveland Guardians finally face each other for the first time in twenty twenty six. The Cleveland Guardians are in first place. They did not have a great week. They had a slightly better week than the White Sox. They were two and four this week instead of the White Sox going one in five. But the Guardians, who have a one game lead in the American League Central. They are currently forty one and thirty seven. They're just four and ten in the last ten game, four and six, I'm sorry, in their last ten games. Just like the White Sox, the Guardians are a good road team. They are twenty two and twenty this year away from Cleveland. You're bitching problems for this series. Monday and Tuesday night. These are at six forty pm Central time starts. It is the righty Gavin Williams for the Guardians against Anthony k for the White Sox. On Tuesday, it's Parker Messik against Sean Burke. We'll see if the White Sox to use an opener on Tuesday, and then a Wednesday getaway day.
Speaker 6: This is a one ten pm Central Time start.
Speaker 3: It's Tanner Bibe against Eric Fetti again opener for Fetti. Biby and Fetti seem to be the bad luck starting pitchers for both teams, as they've been pitching a lot better than what their win loss records look like. I think the big storyline from a White Sox perspective entering this series Jim is the possible return of Kyle Teal. Will Venable mentioned that he would be speaking with Chris Getz after Sunday's game against the Detroit Tigers. We are expecting some type of clarity from the Chicago White.
Speaker 6: Sox on Monday before the game.
Speaker 3: If not in the morning, I guess the best news White Sox fans is that if we all receive the email press release from the White Sox they have activated Kyle Teal, that's going to probably come around like ten in the morning, and that will be a breaking news story on soxmachine dot com that you'd be able.
Speaker 6: To check out. If we don't get that email, then.
Speaker 3: Around three o'clock we're going to get some type of explanation from Will Venable, maybe even Chris Guetz on what the status is with Kyle Teel.
Speaker 6: But Jim Teal's good. I mean, he looks strong.
Speaker 3: I guess he didn't need that many at bats in Charlotte if they do call him up, But they really do need Kyle Teal.
Speaker 6: I did not know just how.
Speaker 3: Bad the production has been for the catcher spot for the White Sox gym until I looked at fangrafts, both not only offensively but defensively. White Sox catchers mostly Drew Romo and Edgar Carro rank dead last in war negative zero point eight. So bringing back Kyle Teal this is the perfect time in my opinion, Jim, when now facing the Guardians, how do you feel that the immediate impact could be with the return of Kyle Teal.
Speaker 1: You don't want to put too much stress on a guy who hasn't appeared in a major league game yet this year and is coming off of.
Speaker 3: He's already gonna put a lot of stress on himself, because that's just the way Kyle Teal is.
Speaker 1: Its case, We're like, yeah, sure, it'd be great if he hits yea and right away, just given how little the catcher like the opportunities right there. And we've seen this before with the White Sox of just how hard is it to upgrade a position when they're that bad and then turns out like, h yeah, well, one they've been so bad that like they're three four wins below replacement and then they upgrade like one win below replacement and still bad, and you don't actually feel an impact because like bad is bad to quote Huey Lewis. With White Sox catchers, perhaps like catching is unique enough, the demand's position are unique enough to where you can feel the upgrade because you don't expect offense. So an offense shows up even an average amount lineup gets lengthened. Also, we'll see like how much he plays, if he's gonna play most days, or if they're gonna ease him into everyday duty, or like are they gonna play two catchers? Is he gonna d H how's that gonna work? Well? Yeah, I would be okay with him getting like every other game treatment early on, because I think like a half dose of Kyle Teal helps quite a bit with the way the offense or just like the lineup is right now, maybe for a week or two, never having him catch two games in a row, just to make sure that everything structurally sound, because it would be a bummer if like he catches two games in a row and then like something barks on him and then obviously he's back on the angel list. So I think that would be what I would consider reasonable, and anything above that's fine. But yeah, the the offense is looking for like a a Kyle Teal like production, both in terms of just hit tool power. The position he plays like fits in perfectly to add a level that this offense has not had and uh so, yeah, good luck. Just the filling goes eye. Uh if he starts out like zero for twelve because he's a rusty just yeah, it suld be a sure be a bummer. But hopefully he's got a lot of time to let it even out or get up to speed. Like he doesn't have to be great right away, as long as he's healthy and the legs are responding well enough to where like he can handle a major league workload the rest of the way.
Speaker 3: Maybe the flip side, if he goes three for four against Cleveland on Monday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, proof of concept immediately, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: I can see a situation where he starts Monday and Wednesday, and well maybe that's the follow up question. And I think maybe he comes off the bench in a bit hitting situation in Tuesday's game with Parker Messik taking the ball for the Guardians. He've been very good, but he pitches from the left hand side, so maybe try to use the platoon advantage.
Speaker 6: Now, with that said, I don't know who you send back.
Speaker 3: To Charlotte, Drew Romo or Edgar Carro at this stage, both of them, in my opinion, I don't think there's anyone else that you can call up along with Kyle Teal to do a complete hockey line change at the catcher position. Do you have a preference Jim Romo or Arrow to back up Kyle Teeal?
Speaker 1: I mean Romo is batting one forty four. It kind of feels like what.
Speaker 6: Is Carrow batting?
Speaker 1: Not one? Okay, like I'm looking at uh yeah, let me look at the He's two for thirty one his last ten games.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, time to time to get yourself to work on yourself down in Charlotte while the White Sox try to win some games.
Speaker 1: So I do think it's a case where, like you know, this was a good opportunity for Caro to be the the guy, the number one catcher, even if he's traded, like a good way to prove that he can handle another team's number one catcher demands and didn't do it. But I think now with what the situation the White Sox find themselves in, can't really worry about him being shaped like a trade asset. It's more a matter of like Kyle Teal needs to catch as much as possible as much as is responsible to put on his plates and then Carol, you handle the rest, we'll see one if he like, maybe he responds well of that, maybe like he plays well being the second catcher versus like the one a guy he kind of was or behind Romo and he looks closer what he looked like last year, and then like he's still a useful catcher, maybe just not a guy you're hoping to trade for like a significant asset. But I think right now, just yeah, treat Carroll like a backup. Don't worry about playing time. Just get your two best catchers available, and then play your best catcher between those two as much as his body will allow. And then if Carol is you know, if Carol has a roma like stretch to wear, like he's not hitting at all, then maybe you you know, switch out catchers, bring Romo back up. Look on the waiver wire, like for like a minor trade just to bring in somebody else who is in Corey lease, since it seems like they're completely out on him. Uh, but there are ways to do it. But yeah, I think it's pretty simple. Don't overthink it's as far as as soon as Teal is ready to catch what he was hoping to catch at the start of the season, then give it to him.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and the DH.
Speaker 3: You don't need to put both of them in the lineup. That's so we talked about last year. A way that Randall Gritchik and Andrew Benattendee have been hitting, you can continue to having those guys take care.
Speaker 1: Of the DH role.
Speaker 3: So unlike last year, we're not going to see Teal and Caro both in the same lineup. So I guess you can keep Edgar Carro to be his backup. But yeah, hopefully lots of Kyle Teal again when the news does break. Visit us on Socksmachine dot com to check out that news keys to this series. As we wrap up. As far as this episode, All Go Far, Team Go Far. We know the White Sox love to hit a lot of home runs, especially at Rate Field. The stat that surprised me. We talk about how the White Sox can use some right handed bats. The White Sox lead major League Baseball in hitting home runs against left handed pitching, so Messi's been rate for Cleveland. Can they find some instant offense in that form? As far as hitting home runs against the Cleveland lefties, Jim the White Sox with not having to face Rosier Ramirez that's good news. Stephen Kwan hasn't been that straw this year. But Travis Bozana is having himself a week. In his last seven games, Bzana is hitting four seventeen with a five seventeen on base percentage like in eight seventy five. He's got three homers and seven RBIs. I think he's the guy right now in the lineup for the White Sox pitchers that all right, there's no Hose Ramirez. We have to figure out this rookie and shut down Travis Bozana.
Speaker 1: Yeah, chase the latters out too, So that really does put the focus on just a few bats. Yeah, Bazana is is a key. I was looking at their monthly splits and you know, it's basically like Cleveland has turned to ev more of a Cleveland form since this month, and that they're allowing the fourth fewest runs, but they're scoring the fewest. So I would expect low scoring games. I would expect execution to be at a premium. You know, to your point about bullpen has to doest job, but also like defense has Stuart's job. Like we've seen the Guardians out defend the White Sox and win that way. Many many, many, many, many, many many times. And I guess with you know, Josh Naylor completed out of the picture with Jose Ramirez out of the picture, like you are losing some of the usual suspects to where, uh, there shouldn't be the boogeymen around them, to where you shake your head and say, like, yep, there he goes like Bazana, Yeah he's good, just unknown, so you don't have that scar tissue built up. They should be able to handle themselves well, Like, yeah, there's no reason to fear Cleveland at this point. They're a good team, Like you know, they're they're uh, they do what they do well, but they are wounded right now. And you know they did get outplayed. You know, they did have that formula used against him against Milwaukee, Like the Milwaukee does that very well in terms of hitting well, but also pitching well and bullpenning well and defending well in all of that to where like you can't out Cleveland Milwaukee. So I think they are gettable. So time to dust themselves off, get the home magic going again, and you know, win two out of.
Speaker 3: Three and not have to face Kate sved went down. Yeah, he's been really good.
Speaker 6: He's been really good.
Speaker 1: They have their formula like, they have their high leverage Emmanuel Classe never mattered formula like. It's amazing how they can just keep doing that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think the first five innings of these games is going to be pretty important for the White Sox try to avoid the back end of Cleveland's bullpen. They've been very tough this year. But we'll be recapping these games of course on socks machine dot com. James Hegan will be covering these games for us as well throughout this entire homestand so again, please subscribe to our YouTube channel to check out all of our videos. Has been posting the postgame press conferences and also YouTube shorts as well. We've been posting those over on our Instagram page as well. You can follow us on Instagram at sos Machine. But that will do it for this episode of the Sox Machine podcast. Thank you guys so much for listening and watching. If you just discover the Sox Machine podcast, you can subscribe to the show wherever you listen to podcasts or Spotify and Apple Music. You can watch the shows on our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com slash sox Machine and follow us on all the social media platforms we are at sox Machine. You can follow James at j rfigan. You can follow me at sox Machine Underscore Josh. If you enjoy our work and want full access to all of our coverage of the Chicago White Sox, Major League Baseball and the upcoming Major League Baseball Draft, you can help support sox Machine by becoming a subscriber at soxsmachine dot com slash Products for five dollars a month. You can get ad free versions of both the podcast and the website. Unlocks the comments section as well.
Speaker 4: For you.
Speaker 3: We're still running that special, right Jim. As far as the winning percentage of the first month discount.
Speaker 1: H yes, but the price is dropping unfortunately fortunately for you. Yeah, unfortunately for us. Uh and I think the White Sox fortunes as a whole. I guess it was down fifty two cents versus fifty four. But ultimately good news for you the not yet subscriber first month of soxs Machine for just fifty two cents.
Speaker 3: Yes, so great deal. Go to soxmachine dot com slash Products and sign up today. The sox Machine podcast is a production of Soxmachine dot com. You're on for all things for Chicago White Sox baseball. Alongside Jim Margolus, I'm Josh Nelson. Thanks for listening and watching.