Speaker 1: He is NFL Today, CBS Studio analyst and a three time NFL Defensive Player of the Year and waiting for another baby on the way.
Speaker 2: Is that right?
Speaker 1: What's the what's the timeframe for baby number two dropping.
Speaker 2: This summer? This summer? Looking forward to it?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Any advice?
Speaker 3: No, Obviously you start thinking about like how many and everything, And I've been asking a lot of people and there's it's almost split fifty to fifty on people to say going from one to two is harder, going from two to three is harder.
Speaker 1: I would say one to two is going to change you. But two to three, now you're already in chaos. So once you get to three. We got to three and we immediately said we wanted to have a fourth like we did. Wow, that was it? So I had four, well my wife had four under seven years of age, so we were it was. It was chaos, it really was. But looking back on it, they grew up together. They're very close now. So hopefully you know you have a girl and that'll that'll crush you, that will absolutely rush you. So that do you know what you're having?
Speaker 4: I know, yes, Okay, you tell me, world doesn't No, oh, okay, good try though. I mean, that's that's good radio. You know, that's hot, it's content. But if it's a girl, I have three So that's where I can help you with that. But if you want to, you know, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, you're you're trying to leave me down the road here, and I'm not going okay, all right, just not all right.
Speaker 3: Although I did see, uh, I'm sure Paulie has plenty of tips for me for girls.
Speaker 2: He sent me.
Speaker 3: Uh he was trying to give Fritzy a bit of stick for how many times he texted me to get me on the show last time and paul got me on the show this time. But I said it, if you're gonna give me stick, then you can't, or if you're gonna get Fritzie shtick, then you can't send me highlights of your daughter's high.
Speaker 2: School basketball in the text messages.
Speaker 5: I no apologies. My daughter said to me, can Uncle JJ take a look at my shot? I said, of course he can. I love you on fire.
Speaker 3: I mean she is a very good basketball player, so the highlights well deserved. But I would never have said anything if you didn't come at Fritzi first. So I protect my friend Todd.
Speaker 1: I'm glad Pauli's sending you the videos in no longer US, so there's a benefit for all of this. I'm moving around. Your lasting memory of the combine was what.
Speaker 3: The relief when it was done and warm ups in the hotel ballrooms. I think those are the two things that I remember the most. And then the train station obviously is its own. You guys know, I don't know how much the outside world really knows about the train station and everything that goes on the train station, all the interviews, the meeting of coaches, and and it's basically just four days of it's literally the biggest job interview of your life. So you're walking around twenty four to seven just trying to make sure that you know everything is going according to plan because this can change millions of dollars. It can change your entire future.
Speaker 1: But are you It is your analogy. The train station like the car wash where.
Speaker 3: No, no, it's a literal train station. It's a oh, there's an actual train station in Indianapolis. It's like a decommissioned train station. So you are inside like actual train the train station with train cars, like you're doing interviews inside the train cars.
Speaker 2: It's not like the UESDN car wash. No, it's a real train.
Speaker 1: Oh. I wonder why they don't show this or give us.
Speaker 2: Oh I thought you got I thought everybody new about it. No, it's it's a pretty cool place.
Speaker 3: And I think that's why Indianapolis is so well versed, besides being so walkable. But they have this huge old decommission train station and it's turned into like a hotel. So all the hotel around the edges, and then in the middle all the trains are like offices.
Speaker 2: So you walk into one train and there's meetings with the NFL teams and then you walk out.
Speaker 3: It's crazy, but actually a good You brought me to a good point here. My lasting impression is my eventual defensive line coach, Bill Kohlar for the Houston Texans. After my meeting with the Texans, I walked out of the room. He followed me out of the room and he looks at me and he goes, I just got to ask you real quick.
Speaker 2: You think you play hard? Good coach?
Speaker 3: I play hard every single snap like I gave everything I have, so you think you can. Really though you think you play hard, it's a coach I give it everything I have. Every single snap he goes, you're a lion, son of a bitch. You don't play hard at all. And I'm like, well, not going to Houston.
Speaker 1: Check him off?
Speaker 2: And then sure enough, what's he trying to do?
Speaker 1: What give me the line?
Speaker 3: That's who he is? My whole first year, I thought maybe he did. I thought this man hated me. I know I hated him. I couldn't stand him for my life. I was I could quit a football. I was like, I don't like this. This is not fun. Is this what I actually wanted? Am I even good enough? Am I going to get cut? And now I went through his Hall of Fame ceremony for his college Football Hall of Fame induction. We're best friends. We golf together, and I love the man and I'm so thankful for him. But he was a tough, old school hard nose. He bought a pair. He literally wrestled a bear when he played for the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 1: JJ Watt NFL Today on CBS Studio analyst, the tush push is going to get a lot of conversation and feels like it's going to be kind of in the rotation here with a lot of shows for the next couple of weeks, Packers came forward and they said that they would like to get this outlawed. How do you view the Packers in this situation coming forward to say to the NFL we want this outlawd.
Speaker 2: Oh, I mean, I don't. I don't mind.
Speaker 3: People put up rules every year, So I don't mind when teams put up rules if that's if that's what they want to do, if that's something they feel like, you know, it doesn't matter. It's not going to work. I mean, I don't. They're k not going to outlaw that play. It's very difficult to do. I also think, like everybody knows, if every team was great at it, it would be a problem, like if it was just a guarantee third and one, fourth and one. But only the Eagles have truly truly mastered it. And we watched that Bill's Chiefs game and we saw the Chiefs knew that the Bills had a tendency to run the quarterback seat to the left. They lined up and protected it and it worked and it literally got them to the super Bowl because of it. So until every one of the thirty two teams is successful at it, you can't outlaud it. Just you can't punish the entire league because the Eagles are good at it. The Eagles are just really really good at it.
Speaker 1: How do you defend it? As a former defensive lineman.
Speaker 3: I honestly know the way that the Eagles do it and how good they are at it. I honestly think that if you do, if you defended it one hundred times, you might get lucky if you if you even if you had the perfect defense, But you have to have a couple guys going extremely low immediately on the snack, which does come down to almost timing it because they know the count you don't.
Speaker 2: That's where the big advantage is.
Speaker 3: And then you have to have a couple of guys going over the top and once again hitting it at the perfect time. So you have to try and stop those old lineman's momentum. And then you also have to try and stop Jalen's momentum with the push. But that's the crazy thing to me about the push push Dan, is that not every single team practices it and perfects it the way that the Eagles have. Yes, Jalen is extremely strong and he's going to be He's more powerful.
Speaker 2: Than most quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: Yes, they have a couple of great pushers behind him, and yes their line has perfected it. But you can't tell me that if a team practiced it every single week and truly perfected it and got the push down and got the line of the time it up perfectly, and everybody to do its character.
Speaker 1: What's going on in your house.
Speaker 2: Some swallow? It's a great time to have a little construction on living on your end?
Speaker 1: Was it planned? Is that your wife with it?
Speaker 3: It's not supposed to be happening right.
Speaker 2: I can't see the back entrance, so clearly, what the hell do.
Speaker 1: You wanna do? You want to look outside? Right now?
Speaker 2: Should I? Should I go shut this down?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Give me, I'm gonna tell him. Give me ten minutes here.
Speaker 1: Okay, you can stay on the audio, okay, all right, all right, it's just fun. Maybe maybe you're building the baby room, the new baby room here.
Speaker 2: Could you take a ten minute break? Sorry, thank you, just ten minutes.
Speaker 1: I'll come.
Speaker 2: I'll come in, thank you. Yes, yes, all right, we got it, bought ourselves. Ten minutes there.
Speaker 1: Okay, great, all right, I'd like it. You don't even know what's going on at your house now?
Speaker 3: Uh, well, now I do, okay, I thank you, yeah, thank you, great great man, great man.
Speaker 1: The regular play compared to the tush push. How much more dangerous is that tush push?
Speaker 3: And you're talking all plays versus the tush push in terms of danger.
Speaker 1: Well, let's say just a typical bunny who have seen injured by the tush push. Chris Jones in the Super Bowl look like he got his neck banged up a little bit there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But I mean I would say that, I would say that it's not it's It's really hard to say because obviously, being on the D line, I know how difficulty it is, especially when you're cranking a neck down there. But I would say that a high speed collision from further away is much more dangerous than you know, two inches away damning yourself in there.
Speaker 1: The NFL is the NFL is looking for injury data. I'm guessing JJ, because once they have that, they're all about, you know, safety protection, you know, the jumping over the line. I mean, this is the loophole.
Speaker 2: Here are they are they?
Speaker 1: Do you think the NFL wants blocks?
Speaker 2: Why are a cup blocks still in the game?
Speaker 1: I agree with you one hundred percent. I agree but this this play is predictable and it's boring, and you know, it's like the extra point. They had to move it back to make it interesting. I wonder, this is my tweaking take away the lineman behind Jalen Hurts, then it's a quarterback sneak and nobody can complain about this. The Eagles will still be successful, maybe not as much, but just take the guy out from behind Jalen Hurts. That's it.
Speaker 3: I don't disagree with you at all. If they are going to change it, that's the way to change it. I also don't disagree with you that they're going to be just as successful. I don't think the pusher actually does a ton for them, because it's how good their offensive line is at it. They are so tight, they are so low, they all fire off at the exact same time on the snapcount, and Jalen is so strong that he just pushes beyond Most of the time, he is successful without the pusher even being an issue.
Speaker 1: Have you talked to the commissioner or anybody about why do they allow these linemen to cut you?
Speaker 3: Last year, we have the commissioner come into CBS every year before the season starts and we can. You know, we talked to him asking questions last year. I was asking him more broad questions about football in general, the violence, about the flag, football aspect, and which way it's going. I haven't asked about that specifically, but it is one that I've brought up in NFLPA conversations. It's one that I bring up anytime anyone wants to talk to me about health and safety or protection. Obviously, being INTI lineman, I know how much they protect the quarterback. Can't hit him low, can't hit him high, can't hit him here.
Speaker 2: Can't hit him there.
Speaker 3: Yet as a defensive lineman, I can fire off the ball and they can purposefully split the blockers so that I come off free, and they can have a guy come from the side and literally his coaching point is to put his helmet on my knee. So don't tell me that it's all about health and safety when that's a perfectly legal block. And I'm not saying that it should be a flag, because at the current moment it's not. So it's legal. I have to protect it, but there's no place for it in the game, and it is literally the goal of it is to wipe out a guy's knee.
Speaker 1: I feel bad for you. Like the back dromp you got there is pretty pedestrian.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I know. I mean my wife's the real star of the show. So that's why fastest goal in the US women's soccer history.
Speaker 2: I don't have that. Yeah, definitely quickers. She's much more agile.
Speaker 1: You don't even have your jersey framed.
Speaker 2: This.
Speaker 3: This is a book. This is a book from the Houston Texans, A really cool book. When I retired, they gave me a book of all my career.
Speaker 1: All right, okay, really cool. You got to dress that up a little bit here.
Speaker 2: I mean, what do you want? I got the Arnold book over here, big big heavy book. I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's a great book I got, Yeah, I mean, what's your yours? You're just I don't have the cool memorabilia that you have where I can just shower it all over my entire room. Well, I don't know, just I mean it's incredible, it really is. Yeah, And how often you switching stuff out every day every day and it's only you.
Speaker 2: Nobody else touches it.
Speaker 1: They're not allowed to. Would you send me a Burnley patch and I'll put a question I'll put it up here on the front. Okay, now, explain this soccer bet that's going on here.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It was started as a literal joke.
Speaker 3: So like, obviously we talk to the guys on our team all the time and James Strafford, our keeper is literally he'll be the England number one keeper someday, he's that good.
Speaker 2: And he messaged me one day.
Speaker 3: It was we were talking about the Steelers Bengals because obviously my brother plays on the Steelers, and he was messing with me and he said, hey, do you fancy coming out of retirement playing for the Bengals, And so, being a smart ass, I said, yeah, you don't give up another goal the rest of the season, I'll come out of retirement play for the Bengals.
Speaker 2: There were twenty eight games left at the time. I was like, this is this is just a joke. Next game, he didn't give up a goal.
Speaker 3: So I messaged him again and I said, hey, you're really taking this serious, huh, And he was like, I really want you to play for the Bengals. So two games later, two more games with no goals, I messaged him back. I said, all right, it's getting a little ridiculous. Now do you think you can make it the whole way? And he goes, how do you eat a whale? One bite at a time? So he just and now here we sit and we're thirteen games later, and he is not giving up a goal.
Speaker 2: In thirteen games. He is one.
Speaker 3: He's beaten every record along the way. There's only one record left that he hasn't broken in the history of English football, which is old as hell. He is setting records, so it's getting pretty serious. We've created a lot of claric fans in Cincinnati, Ohio, which is really cool. We're getting a lot bigger ratings and numbers from the Ohio region, so it's been really fun.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you have a game plan. Let's say he doesn't give up a goal.
Speaker 2: I'll do it.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm I'm if he does that, which is insane. I mean, there's a twelve thirteen games left. If he does it, it's insane enough and respectable enough that I will absolutely follow through and I'll go out there. I'll who knows they even want me, I don't even know. I haven't talked to him, but I'm in shape. I'd go play.
Speaker 1: But are you contractually you're not obligated to the Texans or anybody.
Speaker 2: No, No, I don't even know how. I didn't even think that far ahead. How do how do you unretired? Is there? I never filed retirement PaperWorks? Does that mean I have to? If I have to file paperwork to get.
Speaker 1: Back in, I don't. I don't know if they actually make you file retirement papers.
Speaker 2: Oh I didn't, So no, I don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, damn, Yeah, what would you do?
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean, I'm technically I would assume I'm a free agent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we need to work on Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, we're getting closer.
Speaker 3: It's couldn't He said, they have two penalties in one game, which was insane. Our other defender, CJ. Egan Riley, he's a massive Bengals fan. So I'm going to reach out to the Bengals here and I got to at least get these guys a gear. You know, I'll reach out to Burrow and see if you'll sign the jersey form because they're actual big fans, which I don't understand that.
Speaker 1: How did that happen?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'm gonna ask him.
Speaker 3: I'm going over there a couple of weeks and I said we're gonna We're gonna sit down and we're gonna talk through all this. How did how did the Bengals become the team that our defense rests uck?
Speaker 1: Uh? Well, good luck with that. More importantly, good luck with the baby. And uh always great to talk to you. Thank you, buddy, Thank you.
Speaker 3: I'll let them know they can get work over here. Sorry.
Speaker 1: That's jj Watt NFL Today on CBS Studio analyst and former Texans Cardinals defensive end and maybe Cincinnati Bengal defensive end.
Speaker 6: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 7: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships.
Speaker 1: What's going on in the world.
Speaker 7: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture. Stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together, I mean that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planet Earth. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 1: Mavericks at the Lakers and the Lakers got the win, but the Lakers did not cover. The line was nine and n half. That's all I cared about. It was weird. I wanted to know, like, how inspired were the Lakers going to be and the Mavericks going to LA without Anthony Davis in uniform, and what was Luca going to do? So Luca didn't have a great night shooting, but you know, he filled up every other category, had a triple double there they win one O seven to ninety nine, and the line was nine and a half. I just want to see the rest of the season how much defense they'll play. It's weird to say when you have two of the greatest players with Luca and Lebron, they're going to mesh. They're going to work. They're going to work because Lebron will make this work. He's too talented, too smart to not make this work. But watching last night, Luca deferred, you know, he wasn't he didn't have a shot, he wasn't hitting threes. But you know, you have a triple double there, and you forget just how great a passer he is. Lebron is an all time great passer, but Luca is really good. It's just when you're scoring thirty three a game, you may not throw, you know, passes to your teammates. You know, as Jordan once said, why would I throw it to you when I have a better chance of making the shot? I mean he actually did say that about his teammates. Why would I throw it to a wide open Judd Bushler when I might be double teamed. I like my chances better. But you know, it was fun last night at one point, Luca mean mugs the Mavericks bench, which I don't understand unless they were chirping at him, but they were all lovey dovey pre game, and I mean, you want to mean mug, then do that when you go to Dallas in April, and then look for the GM Nico Harrison. If I'm Luca, I look for him and I give him a handshake and say thank you, thank you. You put me in one of the basketball capitals of the world, my brand. I got a chance to be the face of this franchise. It's fun. It's la thank you, thank you. I mean, Dallas is great, and maybe that's his lifestyle, but I would be like thank you. But last night it was fun. It was fun to watch just you know, sort of the I guess the body language going on.
Speaker 8: Yes, Marvin Nico Harrison was there last night, so maybe he was looking in the direction where Nico man been sitting. Okay, so I did see him at the game last night. I don't know why he would be there, but hey.
Speaker 1: I'm going to give him credit to be, you know, front and center, like Okay, yeah, we made this deal and I'm gonna sit right here. But if if Luca is singling out the GM and mean mugging. I don't think you need to like, let me remind you of how great I am. I don't know if Luca needs to do that. Now. You want to do that when you go to Dallas. I get that, Yeah, Pauline.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna go too much. Credit to Nico Harrison.
Speaker 5: He probably doesn't want to go to home games for a while, and he's like, I'm going to hit the road a little bit. I want to get away from the home fans.
Speaker 1: They don't love you right now. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. Good morning if you're watching on Peacock. That's our streaming partner. Stat of the Day Beanini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. Say good morning to our radio affiliates as well. So we got play of the day, pull questions, stat of the Day, all of that coming up first hour. Brought to you by the great folks at True Green. They take care of your lawn. It's affordable and they're the official lawn keeper of the PGA Tour. They know a thing or two about making your lawn look like a fair way. Go to truegreen dot com for details on how you can make your lawn look great. Eight seven seven three DP Show operator Tyler is sitting by. He'll take your phone calls. NFL Combine going on this week and yesterday. Coaches in GMS they had to answer questions, well, they had to answer them in the best they could answer them without really answering them. And you know, we're so gullible as this sports society. We're just jones and for anything. Hey, these coaches are going to talk about their their draft, what they're going to do in the draft without really telling you what they're going to do in the draft. Are they gonna talk about the uh tush push without really saying too much about or maybe a player who may be on the trading block without really saying too much. But we sit there and we eat it all up, scoop it all up. It's like, oh my god, that's great. But it's it's one of those if you say, coming up on Sports Center, we'll sit down with Sean McDermott and he'll give his thoughts on the tush push and then all of a sudden, you have a question to Sean, you know, and they'll be like, hey, you know, it's a part of the game and whatever the league does and can be on whatever, and then you go, okay, alrighty, that was great, Like you don't even we're not even listening to the answers as much as the topic. Oh I saw the topic again on Sports Center. Chador Senders not throwing at the combine. What's it mean for his draft status? Nothing, It doesn't mean anything. He'll do a pro day at Colorado. His dad gets all this attention. The wide receivers who are there at Colorado get some national attention. Come on, the players have the power. It's okay. I mean I'm surprised when it goes the other way. Cam Ward, I wouldn't be throwing. You want to do something where you know it's a controlled environment, you have your receivers, you get some attention for some players, your coaching stat whatever. But we make it a big deal because we allow it to be a big deal. We click on these stories and it's just silly. And I told you this was going to happen with Shador and none of the first round quarterbacks last year threw at the combine. It didn't lead Sports Center. So I know we are gullible, we're easily led, but yeah, there are times when I go, no, you're not gonna get me on this one. And I spent eighteen years of my career trying to do this to you, Like, how do we get people to stay at Sports Center? I don't know, come up with a tease coming up on Sports Center? You won't believe what Charles Barkley just did. And then he didn't do anything, you know, like I don't know, I didn't see the highlight yet. Yes.
Speaker 5: What I love about the combine is when they ask a real direct question to a GM or coach and he has to ignore it, like I'll give you exactly you be the coach or you be the GM of the How about the Browns?
Speaker 1: Okay, Andrew Barry, Yeah, Andrew Barry? O, yes, yes, Paulie Andrew. What's the plan with Nick Chubb?
Speaker 2: What are you guys going to do to keep him or not keep him? In the off season?
Speaker 1: Man, do I love that guy? I really do. I mean, uh, you know, when I think of a running back, I think of him and he's really special guy. And uh, you know, we we appreciate all the great things that he did for us.
Speaker 5: That said, what are your plans for Wait?
Speaker 1: I thought I just said, didn't I just answer that without answering that when they say, man, I really love that guy. That guy's gone gone, yeah, hey, what do you think of man?
Speaker 5: But they start prematurely thanking him for everything they've done for a franchise.
Speaker 1: Okay, how about your Sean McVay. Okay, coach, what's the situation.
Speaker 5: Right now with Matthew Stafford and your plans for his future?
Speaker 1: Oh? Man, that's a great question, Paul, that really is. It's a great question. Stalling, stalling, stalling. I love him. I mean, you cannot write the history of the Rams without Matthew Stafford. I mean hall of famer, hall of famer in every sense. Really, what are your family? Yeah, I just I love that guys real quick.
Speaker 5: What are your plans?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I mean, you know, my plans are to just make sure I appreciate every day, every moment I have with Matthew Stafford, because you know what, he's a special player and uh, you know, on and off the field. Did I mention that, Yeah, And you can't write the history of the Rams. Did I mention that too? Yeah? I really love him.
Speaker 9: Yes, Judd, it's that tell when they say did when they're talking to past tens as opposed to and what he will be doing in the future. You're already talking in that in the prediterate tents. Is like that means that kind of closing the chapter on this guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you give me past tense, it just feels like like Nick Chubb, Let's be honest, older got injured and maybe not affordable. See ya, that's it. Uh, what are your plans for Miles Garrett Man? Now, if you say, we're not taking phone calls, we don't want to hear from anybody. We are not trading him, We have no plans or no intentions. When you when you say that, that means you're open for business. They can say all the right things. This is February, late February. Let's wait till we get to April. Let's wait till we get to the draft. Teams are going to do their due diligence on all these draft picks, and then they're gonna say, is that guy somebody that we can invest in as a first round pick and we don't have to pay him thirty million dollars Miles Garrett is going to cost you that and then some, and you got to give up draft picks. So I think you got to be fair to the teams in a situation like this. First of all, the GM is not going to tell you anything. Yeah, what do you guys plan on doing with the number one pick? Oh, I'm glad you asked. You know what we're taking Travis Hunter? Oh? I mean we could take Travis Hunter. Hey, how about And by the way, the NFL won't let you say what you're doing with the top pick, even though you may know who you're taking. Do you plan on playing Travis Hunter at defensive back or and or a wide receiver? Well you can say, oh, I mean, if we take him, he's going to be a cornerback and we hope to use him as a wide receiver. But we're so hungry for football. It's only been a couple of weeks removed from the Super Bowl. We're already fixing I need to fix. But it's still the combine and it takes up a week of our attention because there's nothing really else going on.
Speaker 8: Yes, Marvin, and that's the beauty about being a sports fan. Stuff like the Combine in the NFL draft. If you're a fan of a team that's bad, you're thinking to yourself, all right, we can get better, yeah next year. So there's always hope no matter how bad your team is.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So for the past couple of months, the good teams have been playing, the bad teams are just sitting there going all right, let me look at mel Kiper's latest mock draft here and see who we're getting. Because there's hope. You have hope right now in late February, you have hope. Free agency coming up in a couple of weeks, the draft coming up, you've got hope. Even off season, the schedule, you've got hope. And then all of a sudden reality sets in and it's middle of October and you go, damn, I thought we were going to be good. No, you're the Jets. Yes.
Speaker 5: Pay As a Bear fan, my season is February, March, and April. That's when I get to talk and chop it up and see what they're doing. Then it goes away.
Speaker 1: Yes, John, there's something.
Speaker 9: About that fresh enthusiasm of a new head coach that doesn't have a record of any wins or losses.
Speaker 2: Just Jet where this.
Speaker 9: Is the time where you can get all excited about things until it starts going off the rails.
Speaker 1: Well it's a honeymoon. Oh she's wonderful. Oh I love her so much. Oh we were inseparable. We can't stand to be apart from one another. Then all of a sudden season starts and then all of a sudden things start to fall apart. All right, Seaton poll question today, what are we going to start out with? Is the NFL combine still useful?
Speaker 2: Yes or no?
Speaker 1: It is because of the medicals and the interviews, And I'm going off what you know. My source says that what he gets from being in those interviews when you get the medicals, now you see how hot, you know, tall somebody is, you know how much they weigh. He doesn't get caught up in the forty, but he does get He really focuses on the medical and he focuses on the interviewing process. Are you a dog or a cat? Yeah? Yes, I've asked him. I said, do you ask stupid questions like that? And he goes no, because if I ask you if you would you rather be a dog or a cat? I don't care. I just want to know, are you a football? Player. That's that's the most important thing.
Speaker 10: Are you a football player or a guy who plays football?
Speaker 1: Andrews look for football players here. I asked Andrew luck that I asked him, and you know what, he had a long pause because I always felt that he was a guy who was really good at football.
Speaker 5: Still pausing, still thinking, pondering, good.
Speaker 1: Question, dpe, Yeah, ponderous man, what else do you have there? See? I think we're going to combine for our one.
Speaker 10: Well, there's another slight tweak on that, which is the NFL combine is great football filler or useless?
Speaker 1: And I still watch, well, I don't watch as much as I once did, but it's only because I kind of figured out what I need to be aware of instead of, gosh, did you see that offensive lineman from Auburn? I don't know what it means. And there's gonna be a center, there'll be a guard, and there'll be a defensive tackle where we'll look back on the draft and you go, damn, that guy became an All Pro. But we don't care about that. I mean, we should care about it, because look at what the Eagles did with a great offensive line and a great defensive line. But you know the draft all you know, we're going to talk about Travis Hunter, the quarterbacks, Ashton Genty, what the Cowboys do, Anybody trade up, anybody trade down? What trades happened prior to Matthew Stafford, Kirk d Cousins, Sam Darnold, How do they affected the draft? I mean, that's really what the presentation is going to be, at least that first that first night. Remember a couple of years ago when Schefty breathlessly was trying to tell us that, you know, Aaron Rodgers was going to be traded, and you had all of this programming about Aaron. I was like, Aaron Rodgers, You're not going to be traded. But it was one of those where he had Adam I think, had heard from somebody who had some information and therefore or all of a sudden it became ESPN's programming. All it takes is one little thing like Laramie Tunsel and changes a draft. You know, somebody's rising, somebody's falling, and if you're you know you're carrying the draft. So ESPN is looking for those stories. They don't want predictability. They want to have something where somebody goes, oh my god, Mel what's your thought. That's what they want. You don't want this to go chalk where you go? Okay, and then okay, you want to The New York Jets have traded up, Yes, Tod.
Speaker 2: But that's part of the problem too.
Speaker 9: When we watch the combat, we get so reactionary in the moment. Just because someone runs a fast forty we already got them going to the Hall of Fame. Or someone gets their feet tied up, or they hit a cone by accident, that means they're going to be a bus and they have no chance of having a great NFL career. That's what's silly, because we're so fixated on every little number that that's going to determine their future in the pros.
Speaker 1: Thank you, tick, thank you. Now we can put a bow on this segment, Yes exactly.
Speaker 6: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 1: We'll talk to Woody Harrelson his new movie coming up. By the way, the character, if you're old enough to remember the show, cheers, the character's name is Woody. They didn't change the name of the character, just because it's Woody Harrelson. He auditioned for it. They were going to give that role to somebody else, and I think at the last minute they let him audition for it, and it just so happened. The character's name is Woody and became Woody Harrelson, and that's his real name, Woodrow. Although if you were going to say to me back then, you know that guy will be the most successful actor out of everybody who's in here. And he's been in he's been nominated twice. People versus Larry Flint, I think, and the messenger, who's our guy, Ben who was in Foster Ben Foster that he doesn't act enough. He's in the three Tender Yuma with movie Russell Crowe. Is that Christian Bale Yep?
Speaker 5: Dang that he was also in the movie Alpha Dog with Timberlake and Emil Hirsch.
Speaker 1: Okay, good flick. Yeah. But what he's had a lot of roles and and he's one of those guys that shows up in like you'll you'll be like, hey, what'd you do last night? Oh? You know Willie Nelson with uh, Woody Harrelson, and you throw out somebody what He's always involved like he's always he's omnipresent. It feels like I'd love to know what his rolodex, his phone looks like. With all the friends that he has, this feels like. And he lives in Hawaii and uh, and I mentioned this about going to his brownstone in New York years ago. He lived in the West Village or be Soho, I guess, and I brought that up to him in this conversation. We talked to Woody a couple of days ago. And he grew up in Lebnon, Ohio. Not Lebanon, Ohio, Lebnon, Ohio. I grew up in Mason, So we're about eight miles apart. And he's I think five or six years younger than me. And I don't know if he played high school basketball or not. I think his bio says he played a little bit in college at Hanover College, which is a Division III. But Woody Harrelson has a new movie and it's called Last Breath. Got to watch it on Sunday, and just the opening scene. I would watch the opening scene again because it's a deep sea diver. So wood he plays a deep sea diver. And they're in Northern Ireland. They're in the North Sea. They go down they're called I think they're called like lubricating divers or saturation divers, something like that, where they go down for these power grids and you have to do all this work. They're out at sea for thirty days, you have to decompress for four days when you come back in and it you know, this is based on a true story called Last Breath, but it's about Woody and his crew and one of his men get stuck down there and goes without oxygen for thirty minutes. And I start out by asking what he that opening scene was pretty remarkable, and what was it that brought him to do this movie.
Speaker 11: Well, Paul Brooks, who I worked, he was the producer on Champions, this movie I did before, you know. He he mentioned this to May and mentioned the documentary which was on Netflix at the time, and so he said to watch it. And I watched it and I said, oh my god, this is I'm in. I'm in one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 11: He says, you want to read the script. I'm like, I don't need to read the script. I'm in, you know, because I was just so blown away by the story, Like what an incredible story. If you if you just heard about it and you didn't see it, you know, as I did in the documentary, you couldn't believe that it could happen, you know. So I was kind of mystified by the story, and I thought Alex Parkinson, you know, who had done the doc did a tremendous job on the movie.
Speaker 1: But you have thirty minutes of time where he doesn't have any he doesn't have any oxygen, and where he was the depth of it, and you know, maybe the temperature prevented any damage. Doctors still haven't figured out why he didn't suffer irreparable harm.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think it's it's one of those unexplainables, Like you might just call it a miracle because and I'm sure that the temperature, factors, the how far below the surface, I mean, those all had something to do with it, but it's still inexplicable, you know.
Speaker 1: And you didn't have to get in the water, which is good for you, right, Well, they do it in rotation.
Speaker 11: They have three SAT divers and so that just at that time I was in the bell, which is that little tiny tin can that comes down from the ship.
Speaker 1: You don't get claustrophobic, do you.
Speaker 11: Well, I don't get claustrophobic so much as I if there's no windows open in a room, that can start to bother me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or like a car.
Speaker 2: Clausophobia.
Speaker 1: When you take away a movie like this, like I don't know what if if you search for roles, like what is new that you're you want? Like are you at that point in your career where you go, I haven't done that? Or like how does that work?
Speaker 11: Well, there was certainly novelty to this project and this character. And you know, it's nice to meet the actual Duncan and uh, I thought, And I got to meet also Dave. I didn't get to meet Chris, who's the person who all this really happened to. But I felt also about him that all of these guys are kind of philosophical and pretty zen, which you know, so they have a real powerful presence, you know. But Dunk's funny, very funny.
Speaker 1: He's Woody Harrelson. And the movie is called Last Bread and hits theaters coming up Friday, February twenty eighth. When's the last time you picked up a basketball?
Speaker 11: Uh, it's been a few months. Yeah, I played a little while back. I played with Adam Sandler and were we forget I think we were in La. I know we were in Maui. Anyway, he always gets together wherever he is, he.
Speaker 2: Gets a game going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how was your game compared to his?
Speaker 11: He's pretty good actually, and he's a baller. But I like to think we one time played one on one for it was a long, long game because he was very defensive, and it just went on and on and on and by the end of it, you know, it was like tied thirteen to thirteen or something because you needed to win by two. And uh, it was finally like I forget which one of us said it, like do you want to stop? And the other was just so grateful.
Speaker 1: We gotta stop this exhausted. It was like a ceasefire. I think it's probably what it was, a ceasefires what it was. Yeah, can can we bring up the story when I visited your house in uh in the village with Darius Rutcker.
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Sure do you remember that I came with Darius Rutger one night to your place?
Speaker 2: Of course.
Speaker 1: You don't remember too. I don't remember anything. Okay, literally have no recollection of anything. Okay, Well, now, we hold it.
Speaker 11: Well, this was in the village, so this must have been about fifteen years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it was King Street. Does that sound right?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay. So Darius is recording in New York and he said late at night and he goes, hey, do you want to go to Woodies? Well, I don't know who Woody. I think it's a bar. So we get in the car. All of a sudden we pull up to a brownstone. We walk up to the door, you answer, and I go, oh, Woodies. So we proceeded to go into your kitchen and you had some pot and Darius fell off the kitchen chair. After three hits, I say to you, at one point, can you get us something better than this ragweed? Okay? So the look on your face was like is he he's You look at Darius, You're like, is he serious? And I'm actually holding onto the chair so I don't fall off. You kept getting tupperware, and the pot kept getting like lighter green, like lime, like you were going. You went upstairs. I think at one point you're like, okay, and so you brought in reinforcements there and I I it might have been just another day of the week for you, but I I got roughed up. I got but I didn't fall off my chair. I went toe to toe with you. Whether you knew that I was going toe to toe with you.
Speaker 11: I kept up in the inne and you just you just stayed with it.
Speaker 1: When I said ragweed, the look on your face was like you wanted to You were competitive, you were insulted, and you brought out pot that it looked like ana free color of ana freeze. And I'm like, I'm in trouble here, man, I'm in trouble. Do you get like, does it still hits you the way like it crushed me and knocked Darius off the chair? But is it like you're okay? You and what he Willie Nelson? Or like this is fine.
Speaker 11: I don't want to smoke Willie's weed, but I you know, I like sativa like a calmer. I don't want to smoke one hit and have to like you know, you know rest So No, I would much rather have something that you can share and it's lighter. Yeah, I mean, I don't know. On that occasion it might have been a stronger delio. But now I try to stay with the sativa outdoor organic.
Speaker 1: I should do that too, the Five Time Club with SNL. How proud of you of that accomplishment.
Speaker 11: That might be my best accomplishment. But no, it's really a cool experience, and I'm looking forward to number six. You know, Lauren just keeps on going, probably keep doing it in another fifty years.
Speaker 1: But what's the first one? Like, what's the first what when you hosted the first one?
Speaker 11: One was, you know, very nervous when you're standing off stage waiting for the light to turn red and going out for your monologue.
Speaker 1: It is nerve wracking.
Speaker 11: I mean when you of course you know it's live and you don't get another take.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's exciting.
Speaker 1: And also the other members of the Five Time Club coming out to congratulate you, Steve Martin and Tom Hanks. Yeah, good company.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, good luck with the movie. It's Friday, February twenty eighth, based on a true story. It's called Last Breath. What are he? Good to talk to you again? Thank you?
Speaker 11: Yeah, good talking with you see in the kitchen.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not going to insult your whea to ever again. That was a big mistake. But Darius and I still laugh about that, the fact that you'd literately you knocked the guy off of a chair because of how strong your pot was. That's yeah, that's just he's no lightweight either. No he's not. No, he's not. Thank you again, good luck? All right? Yeah, take care. It's whatdy Harrelson. The movie Last Breath in theaters today. He didn't remember that I was in his kitchen smoking pot with him and Darius Rucker, very polite of him though he was.
Speaker 5: Yes, to be fair to you, that seemed like a really normal Tuesday afternoon for Woody Harrelson, having a couple famous dudes pop by his place to smoke a couple of bit and move out with their day.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I've never seen pot that color of green, like you know when somebody gets slimed, you know, it's that lime green. And it felt like every time I insulted his pot, he went upstairs to get another thing of tupperware, and then he'd bring it back down like he was competitive. And I don't smoke pot, not interested in it. But Darius we went there. I didn't know what we were doing. When Darius goes, let's go to Woodies, I don't know is Woody's a bar? We show up knock on the door. Woody is there. I go, oh, this is Woody's. And then next thing you know, we go right into the kitchen. Hendrix is playing really loud. We go in the kitchen and he has a joint, Darius swear to god. He falls off the chair after about thirty seconds, maybe sixty seconds, and he can't get up off the floor, and I'm yelling at him and he's just laughing. He cannot get up, and I kept going, man, this is ragweed? You got anything better than this? And Darius, you know how that laughter is. When I would say that he may, you know, and then yes, and he go upstairs. He went up three times. I'm I'm holding onto the chair with my right hand because I don't want to end up on the floor with Darius. I don't even know how I got out. I don't even know. I don't remember anything from the kitchen to getting outside to going going home. Yes, Marv did.
Speaker 8: Would he bring down the weed that only has the name of side effects or like sound noise?
Speaker 2: Like noises like oh what is this? It's that?
Speaker 1: No? No, there was no like the purple cush or any like. It was just it was green and one batch looked like it was, Uh, what do you put in your battery?
Speaker 11: Uh?
Speaker 10: And yeah, see it sounds like you're describing somebody leveling up hot sauces.
Speaker 1: You know, like if you ever watch that show and they're like, all.
Speaker 10: Right, here comes you know, the crucifier, You're like, Oh, this is gonna be really hot.
Speaker 1: This one came in a coffin. You're right. I think we went through five joints. And just because now I'm competitive and I'm going to compete with a guy who this is all he does is smoke