Speaker 1: Hello everybody, and welcome to another edition of Cardinal Territory. And today we have a very special guest. He's a twoy and eleven World Series champion. Right now he works as part of baseball ops for the San Diego Padres. Cardinal Finn certainly know him. He is Alan Craig hi Allen. How are you.
Speaker 2: What's up, Jim kat Hayes. Good to see you, man, Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 1: Good to see I want to start by catching up because it's been a little while. You're part of the Padres organization, have been for a while. Tell us a little bit about what you do for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is my eighth season with the with the Padres. They signed me as a minor league free agent back in twenty eighteen. I played in Triple A that year and then they hired me to be in the front office. You know, for the past eight years. My roles you know, evolved and changed quite a bit over those years. The last three years have been you know, kind of focused on you know, the major league team and working around ops around the major league team and uh, you know, doing a lot of different things. You know, been blessed to be a part of the Potter's organization. They've allowed me to you know, be exposed to pretty much every department within the front office, and you know, gained a pretty good understanding of you know, what it kind of looks like behind the scenes, you know, you know in the front office with scouting, amateur scouting, pro scouting, player development, you know, in the Major league ops around the team. So, you know, blessed to have the opportunity and learn. I love the game and love to continue to learn about it. So excited for the for the opportunities they've given me. So sounds great.
Speaker 1: And uh, I know you're also a girl dad, right, you have a couple of girls. Been a while, so tell me about when you're not working the day to day.
Speaker 2: For Alan Craig. Yeah, so I have three girls and I have a son who's three years old. Now, so I have four kids, and I lost my oldest time flies. You look up and the World Series was fifteen years ago, right, So yeah, yeah, I have three girls. I have a thirteen year old, a ten year old, a seven year old, and then my son's three. So yeah, you know, obviously, like you know, family is my my number one priority, and you know, my wife and I are on you know, the full circuit of you know, taking our girls to horseback riding, taking them to school. My middle daughter plays basketball, and you know, my son loves to hit, throw and play basketball in the front yard, backyard, and you know, we live busy lives and we love it. So we have a great combination of you know, family life and and baseball life. You know, I'm blessed that my family loves baseball. My wife loves baseball, my kids love baseball. So you know, when I'm working, it doesn't really feel like I'm working. They enjoy being around the park and doing all that stuff. So you know, us for sure.
Speaker 1: Perfect perfect Now if your kids realize but they hit the genetic lottery with you being one of the parents. You know, we have Matt Holliday on our show quite a bit. His kids turned out pretty good. Kyle Gibson's kid apparently it's pretty good. Are your kids showing the athletic ability that leads you to believe there might be college or something else in their future?
Speaker 2: You know, they are athletic, you know, believe it or not. There is some athleticism that goes into horseback writing. And my oldest daughter is you know, pretty accomplished in horseback riding and that's kind of her thing, and she wants to go on and be a nurse. My middle daughter loves basketball and you know she's I think she's got a chance to be pretty good. You know, she continues to love it and work hard at it. My youngest daughter is actually she's seven, and she's just picking up a baseball bat for the first time, and she wants me to work with her swing. And I mean she's improving like daily, so you know, there's definitely some sneaky apple this isn't in there. And then you know, my son is asking me to hit and throw every single day, like I mentioned, and you know, he's got a nice little lefty swing and you know, he basically thinks he's on the Padres team, and it's it's the coolest thing to watch him watch the games, ask me amazing questions as a three year old, and you know, you can see that love for the game just sparking, and yeah, it's it's awesome. So we'll see, we'll see what happens. But yeah, my kids, my kids love sports.
Speaker 1: My my son is seventeen. He's a pitcher and he doesn't listen to anything I tell him about baseball, even though he've been around the game a little bit, he does not listen at all. So enjoy while they're little, because at some point they might not listen to you, even though you're Alan Craig.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: I think cardinal fans watching this have one big question. We'll talk about your your your time as a cardinal in a little bit, but they want to know how is to.
Speaker 2: Toty is amazing? He's uh, you know, he's living life at his own pace, like I always say, you know, he's not in a hurry to get to too many places. And you know, I can I could promise the fans out there that he's well taken care of, he's fed well, you know, he's socialized well with the people that come and visit him, and uh, you know, he's doing he's doing great. He's uh, you know, the best pet that that anyone could have. For sure.
Speaker 1: Now you told me that he got a visit from another piece of cardinal folklore recently.
Speaker 2: Tell me about that. Please, Well I can't I can't share his location that's undisclosed, but his caretakers, his caretakers put up a a a camera just to make sure that he's being taken care of, that he's eating his food, and he he had a visit last week. From it looks like the rally squirrel. That's no joke and that's not AI that that is not AI generated. I can promise everyone that Rally Scroll showed up and met Torty for the first time. So stars are aligning in some fashion. I don't I don't really get it, but that was pretty cool.
Speaker 1: That's awesome, right, uh, real quick. The Cardinals are in a reset, right you understand as part of baseball that they made some changes at the top of they're supposed to be a recent they're playing pretty good baseball as an opponent as my brother padres. Just your view of what the Cardinals have going on, Yeah, well, I think.
Speaker 2: It's It's part of the beauty of baseball is that you never really know. You know, you got to go out there and play and you know, we can make projections on how things are going to play out and this and that, but you got to play the games. And you know, I have two of my closest friends, uh, you know, in baseball in life over there working for the Cardinals in John Jay and Daniel Descalzo, and you know, got to know Ali over the years, and you know, there's clearly a lot of good things going on behind the scenes. You know, I don't know exactly what they're what processes or anything like that, but as someone observing from the outside, you know, I'm excited for you know, my two friends, you know, to be succeeding at a high level.
Speaker 3: Hey s Geek is MLB's official ticket marketplace, and in addition to finding every single game on the MLB calendar, there are big events coming up soon.
Speaker 4: There's an All Star game. There's a home run derby. And if you think you're perfect and you can pick the right seat at the home run derby to get the most home run balls, you can get the little green dot and that might be your lucky seat. Don't go red dot, though, because you might not get any balls. But go redgreen dot and get as many home run balls as you think you can catch.
Speaker 3: Yep, you click the seat, you check out what your view is. Each ticket's rated on a scale of one to ten, so you know you're getting a good deal. And that's what AJ's talking about. Green good, red bad. With those dots and the code for you Territory one zero for ten percent off your next set of tickets at Sea Geek. That's ten percent off any MLB tickets with promo code Territory ten. Make sure you click the link in the description of this episode that'll help you download the app and get the code automatically added to your account so that you can use it later. Thank you to Zekek.
Speaker 1: I wanted to talk to you about your career as a cardinal, and I guess the best place to start, right would be twenty and eleven when you guys won it all. I'm thinking about what you did in World Series Game seven against Texas, right. I remember you catching the final out and running in almost like on a cloud with John J big smiles on your face after you guys had done that. But you also homered in the game. Believe you rob Nelson Cruz of a home run in that game. When you think about two thy and eleven in that magical run, what stands out to you?
Speaker 2: Austy have like two or three hours to talk about all the stories and how we got to that game seven. I mean I think about I think about a lot of things. You know, It's funny that you know, you bring it up. I actually, my wife and I threw on the World Series DVD for our kids yesterday, and you know, we we try to watch it like one time a year. You know. It's not it's not about like, oh, look at what dad did or this and that, but it's about there's so many amazing storylines of resilience and competitiveness and you know, working through failure and all that stuff you know that went on that I'm able to bring color to you knows as their dad and somebody that experienced it firsthand. So that's probably like the first thing that comes to my mind is just like team resilience, individual resilience, you know, WANO having to have Tommy john in the beginning of the year as our number one starter, you know, myself, David Freeze, Albert Poohols all broke bones in the middle of the season and came back and recovered and were contributors to the to the World Series team. And then being down you know, to our last strike, our last out, you know, twice, and you know, having the Lance Berkman come through, you know with his focus and calm, you know, in the face of pressure, and then obviously what what data did you know twice multiple times, you know, over that whole playoff run and specifically with the triple the right field, you know, and the walk off home run in Game six. You know, there's just amazing storylines and that's that's probably what I look at the most, is just you know, the team, the team aspect, you know, for me individually, just being able to start Game seven and left field and just have the have the game come my way like that and be able to capitalize in those moments is something that I'll that I'll never forget. With the with the go ahead home run and robbing a home run and being able to catch the last out. I mean, it's just something that that you can't really draw up. And you know, the last thing I'll say about Game seven that that was just amazingly special, is you know I mentioned Jay and and Daniel earlier. I'm just at my relationship with them, how close I am with them. You know, you look back to that ninth inning and you know, Jay caught the first out in center, Daniel got the second out of third, and then I caught the final out. And you know I said this before and probably told it to you, but it's like that's that's like storybook stuff and things just don't happen like that, and it was just a special time and it's very special.
Speaker 1: And the Memphis Mafia impact on that ball club. I mean, Cardinal fans love that you're part of a Cardinal folklore. But I'll be honest with you, if if that was me, I would have that DVD running on a loop twenty four to seven am. I. It's not something that would play I would have. So tell me your view of tell me your view of the Freeze Triple, probably probably the most famous of anything that happened that year. What was your view of that? Because the story came out later, the cruise kind of came in a little because he wanted to get to the celebration.
Speaker 2: What do you remember about mm hmm, Well, I may be wrong. I believe that I had just struck out right before that, So I was like disappointed and you know, put putting my helmet away and like making my way back up to the top step to root for him, and then it just happens fast, you know, and you see the ball off his bat, and you know, you know, being a guy that is shagged and shagged fly balls in right field with David hitting you know, the extra juice that he has that way, and you know the extra carry that he has, so like right when he hit it, you know, I knew it was going to be a close play, but I felt pretty good about it the way the ball comes off his bat, So you know, it was a really tough play for Nelson to make. I think that that he gets, you know, unfairly, you know, some criticism for not making that play, but a lot of people don't realize like how far back you need to go to to to get that ball, how tough it is to like make a play up against the wall, and how much carried David's ball at actually has. So there's a culmination of a lot of things, and David was did an outstanding job coming through for the team.
Speaker 5: There.
Speaker 1: We're going to take a quick break here. Our guest is Alan Craig. When we come back, we're going to talk more about Allen's career. You're watching Cardinal Territory on the Foul Territory Network.
Speaker 3: Hey, for the families out there looking for a different path to help your child succeed at home, looking to K twelve powered schools Todd father, you've done the homeschooling thing in the past.
Speaker 2: I know you liked it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I did. I liked it a lot. All my kids have done it before. It's an opportunity for them to stay at home and enjoy school just as much. They learn a lot. And this is an opportunity for families that are on the go too as well. They have to understand, listen, can't be at a regular school at all times. I need my child to be doing this, whether it's an athletic career, whatever stature they are at. And we loved every second of it, and I think it is an easy opportunity for some children.
Speaker 3: K twelve offers tuition free accredit did online public education for students in K through twelve on a setting that works for your family. See how K twelve pirate schools can help unlock your child's full potential. Enroll today at K twelve dot com slash foul. That's the letter K the number twelve dot com slash foul. K twelve dot com slash foul.
Speaker 1: Two thousand and thirteen. You hit three fifteen. Uh, you knocked in ninety seven runs and I have to go back and like double check this because I remember it, But it does. You hit four fifty four, let's runners and scoring position, four fifty four with runners in scoring? Where does that come from? You were always a guide known as clutch. What do you think that came from?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wanted to be up there, cap, I wanted to be up there hitting. You know, the great thing about baseball is that when the game calls on you to be up, you're up and no one can help you. Uh, You're out there on an island and you got it. You gotta want it. You gotta want those opportunities. And I felt like over the majority of my career, you know, I wanted to be that guy that wanted to be in the spot too to drive in runs. You know, I felt like I had the right preparation that went into, uh, coming through in those at bats. I had the right approach, and I had a really good mentality, you know, to drive the ball consistently through the middle of the field. And you know, when I felt like there was a fastball over the plate, I was ready to go on it and uh and make something happened. And uh, you know a lot of it goes to like, you know, selfishly wanting to be the guy that that drives in the run, but but doing it the right way and setting up the teammate behind me with a with an easy at bat too. You know, I think there's a selfish way to go about it and a selfless way to go about it. And I felt like, you know, I had developed an approach that that really helped me. And and honestly, I looked back to my time with Tony, and you know, I connected with Tony like, you know very well, the way that he spoke, the way that he thought about the game, like, you know, psychologically, and the time invested you know that him and Big Mac invested into us as hitters on the on the mental side, and to be able to focus and come through in those situations like really help me a lot, and it pay paid dividends on the highest stage. So I'm thankful for the opportunity to be around those guys as well.
Speaker 1: I think the thing that Ali says about guys like you zero heart rate, like you can have the best intentions, you can have the motivation, the drive, but if you're in those moments and and you're maybe too emotional or want it too badly, it might not work out. Well, did you feel that way when you're at the plate, you were able to quiet everything down and just focus?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, for sure. I mean everyone gets nervous, right, everyone gets you know, a little too energetic, And that's kind of where it all starts, is like before you get on deck, and while you're on deck, it's like you have to have the awareness of where you're at zickly, mentally, emotionally and find a way to like regulate yourself, you know, And that's something that you know, during that time period, it felt like I was really able to do at a at a high level. You know, you know the situation, you know can dictate your emotions, but but you know you can't. You can't let that happen so too.
Speaker 1: September twenty and thirteen, I think you're rounding first base and you hurt your foot, and no one knew at the time that was going.
Speaker 2: To be a real serious injury.
Speaker 1: What do you remember about that moment where it first happened and what were they telling you about the about the foot situation?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I remember the play like it was yesterday. We were down a runner two and I hit a hard ground ball in Cincinnati in the four hoole and Bottom made a great diving play and you know, he made a really tough throw over Bronson Arroyo's head, and I believe Beltron was on seconds, so he came around to score, and you know, I was I was trying to bust my butt to get to get the second base so we get the tying run or go ahead run. I forget, forget the exact situation, but you know, it was one of those players where I was busting down the line to try to beat the throw. There was a poor throw, and then I just tried to, you know, make a left turn a little bit too quick before I got my legs under me, and uh, you know, it was just too much, too much momentum, and my foot my foot rolled over and uh, I knew it was pretty serious like right away. So yeah, it was. It was a It was a tough injury, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: And you know, to be honest, you came back in the World Series. Uh, some folks that maybe came back too soon, but the Alan Craig that was crushing baseballs, it wasn't quite the same after that was that foot injury. The thing you think kind of put you on a on a different.
Speaker 2: Track, I would I would say, so, I mean, I think I would say it was the catalyst and like you know, the beginning of uh, you know, things to come as something that I you know, I obviously played well that World Series, you know, on a on a poor foot, but you know, I also had a significant knee injury back on twenty eleven, where I fractured my kneecap. And you know, when you have two, you know, significant lower body injuries like that, it's you know, it's it's going to catch up with you at some point, and you know, you know, while you're going through it, it's really hard to pinpoint. I say, when you're going through a struggle, it can be tough to pinpoint what's exactly going on. But when you have two physical injuries like that, it's going to lead into you know, mental and emotional things like down the road. And you know that's something that I definitely definitely struggle with, you know, that twenty fourteen season, you know, and then after the trade in Boston, you know, it was something that you know, really just caught up caught up with me. I fought it and and tried to improve and I put up some some decent numbers in Boston and had a really really strong finish with the Padres in twenty eighteen in Triple A. So so yeah, I mean it could take two hours to talk about, you know, what happened and all that stuff, but yeah, the foot injury was was definitely significant, and you know, you talked about you know, coming back too soon and playing in the World Series, like, yeah, I definitely did come back too soon. But that's something that that I wanted to do. I was on a long term extension with the Cardinals, and you know, between myself and and Mo and the training staff, we talked about, you know, if we can make it to the World Series and if I can just stand in the box and hit, then I'm going to come and do that. And I'm willing to sacrifice whatever happens in the future for that. And you know, I was, you know, the biggest cheerleader for our team, you know, during that run in the playoffs to get to the World Series, and you know, and and came back for the World Series. It was funny. I remember, you know, before that, before that World Series started, before they were going to activate me. They basically like you know, wanted me to go take live at bats against Heimigercia Lance Lane. I think Karp was thrown at that time to basically show, you know, that I could still hit, and I hit really really well, and I think it was pretty clear for them that I could contribute to that World Series team. And the rest is kind of history, you know, whatever happened in my career after that, Like I can look myself in the mirror and say that I gave it all that I had and you know, didn't leave any stone unturned.
Speaker 1: You've had, obviously the highs and the lows in your major league career. In your current position, I know there's a time where you're working with players too, and even some minor leaguers. What do you tell like a young prospect who hasn't been through it yet, when you share your experience, you know, being at the very top and then having a battle through some things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that, you know, I tell players that, you know, if you haven't struggled in this game, you know, you just haven't played long enough. Like it's going to happen at some point. It's and it's how you respond to it, you know. And I think that like The biggest thing that goes into that is you know, always keeping yourself in the mindset of, you know, being able to make the proper adjustments at the right time. You know, it's not always an overhaul and your offensive game or defensive game like sometimes it is, but most likely it isn't. If you can make the small adjustments as you go game to game, pitch to pitch and all that, you'll find yourself, you know, in a really good spot. And you know, one thing that I've seen over the years and the players that I've been around, is, you know, the players that have success at a high level and do it for a long time, they know who they are as players and their identity and what they're good at, what they're not good at, and they're able to, you know, have real communication with their coaches about you know, getting better. They're able to filter in the good information and kind of put the bad information aside. They're able to ask good questions to their coaches, and they're able to have like real conversations, real back and forth. You know, the players that you do everything that a coach says, you know, tend to struggle at times and on the other end of the spectrum of the players that don't like, don't listen to coaches, are not coachable. Those guys struggle as well. So it's you know, from minor leaguers for anybody really, it's like, you know, where's that balance and how can you strike it?
Speaker 1: See, baseball is this is the last thing by the way them We'll let you go. But baseball to me is always evolving. But in many cases it's cyclical, like it evolves into something that it was doing ten twenty years ago. It always seems that something comes back. You know, you're around baseball now with your current position, how is baseball different now then back when you were a young player coming into your.
Speaker 2: Own Yeah, I think there's just clearly, you know, the elephant in the room is that there's a lot more you know, data and statistics around the game, and a lot more information that's making its way to players. You know, that can be good and bad. You know, in my experience, you know, you know, with the padres, I feel like I've gotten pretty well versed in a lot of the different data points and I understand it, you know, at a at a pretty high level, and you know, it kind of just comes down to like how that information is being given to the players. Is is it being given to them in a way that they can you know, actually like apply to their game. And I think that, like, you know, we do a pretty decent job of that, but clearly, like the numbers are different. You know. The one thing that I'll say with that question is that, like, you know, the fundamentals of the game, you know, I believe remain you know, and as the game speeds up and there's more numbers and this and that, I think it's like even more important to like double down on the fundamentals of the game, you know, offensively, defensively, pitching you know, always comes down to like throwing strikes, getting strikeouts, putting the ball in play and and all that. So that's how I answer that one. Kat No, I like it.
Speaker 1: I like it. Hey, Alan, it's great seeing We appreciate you spending half hour or so with us. Just know, right, you're a padre now, but Cardinal Fins never forget, never forget, and you're always part of that Memphis mafia. And when the Cardinals come back to town and I returned to my other job, I will say hi to your boys for you, cause, uh, you guys were fun to watch and uh, you're right descalso and John Jay your grave so we appreciate that one.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 1: Thanks for the.
Speaker 2: Time, my friend. Hey Jim, thanks for having me on. I always love I always love seeing and talking ball with you. You're you're the best. You do a great job, man, Thank.
Speaker 1: You, You're you're the best. All right, that's gonna do it for this edition of Cardinal Territory. We'll see it for the next episode. Hopefully that one won't suck.