Speaker 1: Native lamdpod is a production of iHeartRadio and partnership with Resent Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 3: Welcome home.
Speaker 1: Y'all, This is Guess It, Episode fifty four of Native Lampod, where we break down all things politics, culture, you name it, we got it. We are your hosts. I'm Andrew Gillum. I'm joined by my two favorites, Tiffany Cross and Angela Raie. What's up, everybody. I hope we're doing well and can't wait to get into the show. All right, ladies, so what's on your agenda for today? Top of mind? I can start by timply saying I know confirmations appointments are in the process. I would love, love, love to just do a quick, quick and dirty on what are recess appointments, how do they happen? And what power does the Congress have in the face of threats from Donald Trump?
Speaker 4: What you got to I will have questions for you about that. I have a lot of questions about recess appointments, but I also want to talk about the idea of this biblic quote curriculum being taught in schools. You know, in the news this week but there are a lot of other states that are trying to push this as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ay, Rob, what's on your mind?
Speaker 5: Where we go from here? I think that we kind of left hanging in our last episode if it was even necessary to continue the podcast? Should we continue? And I think we have a lot of questions out there about what we're doing, and I think it's important for us to address what we're thinking because I think it probably changes by the minute for all of us. So that's what I want to talk about today.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that, y'all. Well, Lessen, let's get to it on the topic of where we go from here. I appreciate you bringing that up, Angela, because I was, I'm sure as you all were, really just overwhelmed by our community. I know that we've all known, and we brag about it all the time, how incredible the listeners and viewers are of this show and how much of a family we feel we have cultivated up to this point. Their responses have been incredible, and if you haven't been able to check them out, I'd love for us to just quickly maybe visit a few of them. Let's see what we got.
Speaker 3: Was a good Native lampod once again. I'm Lawrence and I'm in Dallas. I want to address the question posed at the end of today's episode. I just finished watching. I don't think you guys should stop. As a matter of fact, I think you have an obligation to continue. Three of my friends, and this is very personal to me. Three of my friends were not engaged in politics, didn't really care about politics. But you know, a couple of times we shared a blunt and listened to the Native Lamp pod on my balcony. Not only did they get registered for this most recent election, but we had all kinds of conversations about local politics and they voted. They actually voted, and you guys were instrumental in that.
Speaker 6: Love that.
Speaker 3: So, not only do I believe that you should continue the podcast, but I believe it's going to be absolutely necessary, especially for the next four years, not only instructing people, but kind of delivering education when it is obviously much needed.
Speaker 4: I want to hang out with him and his friends.
Speaker 1: On that day, on that day, that other day, were you.
Speaker 5: Running another clip ag or that was that was the one you wanted to see? I thought you said run a few of them.
Speaker 1: I thought that they had put together a few of them, but hearing the diversity.
Speaker 4: Okay, another one.
Speaker 7: Hey guys, it's Don from Houston, Texas, and I just finished your episode, the first one post selection that I have been frantically waiting on if I'm being honest, and in response to your question on whether or not you guys should continue the podcast, to put it bluntly, because I've already made two videos that are too long. Absolutely hell, Yes, we need you. We need the information. We need the sensitivity to us, to our culture, to our people, and your work that you've done even before this podcast and that you continue to do through it is going to be in strumental for those of us who are not interested in watching cable news, who don't trust the mainstream media anymore, who want to know the truth about what is happening around us and in our politics. I have shared, you, guys with so many people, so many young people who just don't have any interest in politics, and.
Speaker 5: They've gotten hooked.
Speaker 7: Regardless if you reach the quote unquote masses, the community that is here needs you, and we are fairly or unfairly going to lean on you guys for that explanation, for that guide, for that conversation that is downright uncomfortable at times.
Speaker 1: Wow, wow, y'all. I think, as you know, that's a sampling of the many, many, many, not to mention the written form comments that have come in. And I really what resonates with me, and I'm gonna toss it over to you, Angela. Was the obligation part of it? I actually, you know, as they say in church, you can say amen or out. I have both an amen and an ouch in response to that. But I receive I receive that appointment, which is you can't bring folks to a certain place. And then all of a sudden, you know, like, oh, okay, you got this because you know, I can't take this kind of stuff right now, that there there's an obligatory you know, component to this. But I'd love to hear, love to hear what's been moving through your mind.
Speaker 5: Here right I am. I'm very emotional. I think that I feel the obligation. I feel frustrated, honestly with myself, because I spent so much time over the last couple of weeks just focusing on the half that I hate right now, like the half of the country that I despise, and I and and I'm frustrated about that, because you don't get understanding through frustration and hate. And I think that what I feel guilty about is knowing that there's an obligation to a whole other half, you know, of the country, and feeling like there has to be a conversation, you know, a come to Jesus, as they say, with so many people, because we are really not on the same page. And I am at a loss at this point for how to get there, and so I hate I think, you guys know, I'm fiercely competitive over all kinds of ridiculous things. But what I really don't like to do is I don't mind saying I don't know. I don't mind admitting I don't know. I hate not knowing for an extended period of time and feeling like the overwhelm of I don't know where to turn to find the answer, right, Like I don't even know if at this point people will be honest about their reasons for voting for the other side, or if they'll be honest about who they really voted for, because they probably know us or have seen us and wouldn't feel comfortable telling us the truth. So where do you go to solve? And I don't know when you're not even confident that people will be honest with you, you know what I mean? And it's like the weight of that. We were in our group chat earlier, and I'm sorry if I'm flailing. I'm trying to make sense. We were in our group chat earlier. And by the way, group chats are not triggering to me because I feel like, when are we just another echo chamber where we're in our own bubble, because now we're all getting off Twitter, because now Twitter is going to be the hellscape, and now who are we going to talk to beyond our bubbles? Because we all think at least similar, maybe not the same, but similar Anyway, I degress. My point is we were in a group chat earlier and there's this conversation about if the Rainbow Coalition essentially is a thing, like are we going to all be able to come together as people of color and do the damn thing? And the conversation was like, no, I don't think it's a thing, and I can't lose that hope. Like if we lose that hope, we don't have a path, y'all, Like we really don't if we cannot figure out how to be in coalition, in solidarity on multiple challenges, on multiple fronts, for multiple policy issues. We are. We are, Like, there's not a nice way for me to say, Dad, sorry, I had to custody. There's no other way for me to explain it. We are. If there's no coalition, if there is no coming together for a larger group, there is no path to victory. And I don't want to lose. I don't want to lose twos.
Speaker 4: I am well. I just want to say this about the coalition building because as you all know, I've talked about it on this show and in everything I've done, I have believed in the multi racial coalition. I've always said I have the Fred Hampton approach, like bring everybody along. Unless you know we align, we can win. I want to caution us because exit polling data is not the most reliable, and we were cautioned in our group chat by that. But what I saw was jarring to me to see so many people of color align with oppressive policies and oppressive issues, and it quite frankly broke my heart. And I have been in the throes of re examining my entire worldview around it, and I haven't landed in a place. So I would love to thumbtack that because I think that's something when we have some actual data I would love to discuss. Right now, I'm like, don't talk to me right now, you know, like, wait until I see the data. But I right now, I am not building coalitions right now. Right now, I need to be in the safety and comfort of my community. And I hope, to Angelou's point, that we can get to a place and give me a few months. I hope we can get to a place where we can lock arms and build. I want to say too, though, about hating or despising, you know, one half of the country, I don't believe it's one half of the country. I think we have to consider how many people actually participate in the voting process, and so of that small group of people, sadly, it's a small percentage of Americans who actually vote. Half of that vote, Joseph vote for Donald Trump for president. And I'm okay despising them, you know, like I and I think Angela, you have give yourself some grace in that too. You know, you go through your process, your process of grief and emotion and everything you're going through. But you know, we cannot always extend and all of brain to bigots. We cannot always come to an understanding with people who either adopt racist beliefs or are okay with racist beliefs. I don't know how the two are different. So I just don't have this, uh, this desire to understand that half. I don't think I'm in a bubble. I try to consume a lot of information from right wing outlets as well, not regularly, but I think I dealt with white folks long enough and know enough white folks that I'm pretty clear on how people feel. The people of color piece is something that I have curiosity about. So I just am so grateful that people do respect and have happily and joyfully joined the community that we built here. Like I said, it's not a podcast, we built community. I think that's reflected, and I think it will be reflected in this political cycle. I think we will see we saw a huge spike and people tuning in to this episode. We saw a huge spike and people who watched our mini pod on what happened. I think those numbers will continue to grow exponentially because the news media has painfully failed everybody, and so people are going to different sources, and so I'm I'm honored to share in space with you guys, and I take the responsibility very seriously, and so when we are here, I want to be sure that we are presenting the most clear, accurate information that you guys get to hear a diverse perspective. Y'all. See, we don't agree on a lot. This is this here I do not think is an echo chamber. I think we have very different opinions, perspectives, things that we bring, and so I just want us to continue to grow personally, professionally, and grow our audience in this space. And I'm thankful for the thousands, literally thousands of you who reached out to us over the past week to let us know what what what you meant. And I think it was heard from here to iHeart executives and all across what a value dischell is, but most importantly, our conversations with you, the audience, is what we value the most.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll just quickly say, because I know we didn't brightline this as a major topic, but both of what you said, both of your perspectives resonated with me. And to dive in just real quick with you, Angela, this whole idea of not knowing. I've really wrestled with this, like, can I be so disconnected from a set of people perspective, lived experiences that things still stunned me in the political space, which I thought, and I think probably for the three of us, we have had, at different points in our lives pretty strong commands. And on the other thing that has really vexed me is this, you know, the data that's showing that you know, we had two million fewer Democrats turn out to vote. Independence out performed Democrats. There were first more Republicans who voted, second, more independent too voted, and third Democrats's that's sun for seed in the history of this country. And so part of what I think, I hope now I take it as part of our responsibility is to deepen into what's going on within our own house, what is happening within this space where a lot of us sheer ideological family perspective that two many of us felt like we had no motivation between twenty twenty and to twenty twenty four. The threats weren't clear enough, the reality wasn't, you know, bright enough for us to even bother to engage the other thing that I didn't.
Speaker 4: Seen enough, you know, I was just saying or not seen enough.
Speaker 1: You know, correct. So that's the other way. That's the other way too get democracy, meaning where ideologically there's greater alignment with this group of people. I think it speaks to this whole not Rainbow coalition, but sort of people of color coalition, which is you all know, I have been very suspect of giving my experience in Florida of whether or not that's ever really been a real thing. And moreover, my true belief being that power is what turns people on people. Once you get access to it, your proximity to it makes you begin to otherise, it makes you I mean, we had Latinos being interviewed, you know. So there's an example of this Latino family where the kids were playing with the neighbors. Both of them had Trump signs. One family where you know, of Mexican orient the other was a white family. And the kid from the white family told them, the Mexican child to go back to his country, and then the neighbors got into a fight, and he thought they were in shared community, but in reality they were not in shared community. All that being said is there's so much to explore here, and I think we've got to in this moment be more curious rather than judging of what is happening, and that will have to be a choice. You know, it's a choice that any of us can mate. But I do think that the way forward is going to be curiosity, asking some tough questions, being willing to be proven wrong or right, or to have a new perspective shown to us. That's where I think we kind of are right now. But I just want to double down on thank you to the listeners. This is a community. We consider us fam and family, and I'm looking forward to exploration going forward. If I had a word for it, it would it would be exploration. You'll, let's take a quick break, and when we come back, we're going to hit enough job.
Speaker 4: All right, welcome back, everybody, listen. I know it's all we're all still processing how we feel about this. But something that while we're paying so much attention to what's happening at the federal level, I do want to point out something happening at the local level, and that is this idea of having biblical curriculum taught in school. This was in the news this week because in Texas, the Texas State Board of Education advanced a Bible infused curriculum that will be optional for schools to way in, but there is a financial incentive for schools to start teaching a Biblical based curriculum. This comes on the hills. I don't want people to think Texas is a loan. This comes on the hills from of Oklahoma and Louisiana. In Oklahoma, the state superintendent mandated public schools to teach the Bible. This is a clear violation of separation of church and state, and the superintendent in Oklahoma also announced the creation of a new Office of Religious Liberty and Patriotism that will be housed within the state's education department. This happened on the hills of Louisiana, which is currently litigating a state law requiring public classrooms to display the Ten Commandments. This is a move that they're also pushing in Texas as well. Multiple legal issues here. Aside from the violation and separation in church and states, they're also political issu choose. This is why there is no off yer election cycles. Take a listen to the super intendent in Oklahoma and then on the other side of that you're going to hear from a woman who is advancing supporting the bill in Texas, and I'll address what they say. On the other side.
Speaker 8: Every teacher, every classroom in the state will have a Bible in the classroom, and we'll be teaching from the Bible in the classroom.
Speaker 9: They serve not only as moral guidelines for the individuals and for society, things like do not murder, do not commit adultery. These are things that help to create a thriving community and a thriving nation.
Speaker 4: All right, So you guys know, for years, probably the past two or three years, all we heard from parents and activists at the school board METE was about mind your business and let me let my kids learn what I want them to.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 4: So I just want to remind you what we were hearing when it came to issues like CRT Nick, Let's row that sound.
Speaker 10: The DEI program is a trojan horse that will bring in a slippery slope, a slippery slope that will ultimately end in critical race theory, white repentance, and the mcdonalization of America's students.
Speaker 8: Please get back to just teaching our children, math, science, factual history, equity, of opportunity and teach them how to think and not what to think.
Speaker 4: So the hypocrisy of it all exactly. Now, think about if your child is Muslim or Buddhist or Jewish and they're teaching from a Bible, the part of the Bible that you don't necessarily believe in. The hypocrisy when it comes to these moral issues. Not after you just elected the pussy grabber and chief, not after you just put up someone who was accused of sexual assault with teenagers. Matt Gates for Attorney General also maybe focused on the issues in your own district in Texas. This year, Texas has the sixth highest rate of bullying and the eighth highest dropout rate in the nation. The state ranked thirty four for its Median ACT scores and forty in nationwide ranking of SAT scores. That's according to website wallet Hub. Oklahoma has been raked forty sixth in the nation and overall childcare well being forty ninth in education. That's according to the Antie Casey Foundation. Louisiana is in the fiftieth spot for the second year in a row in rankings for the state as a whole, It rated forty seventh in education, forty sixth in healthcare, forty ninth in the environment, and forty ninth in infrastructure, forty fourth in the economy. Please don't talk to us about how seriously you take education when you just put up Linda McMahon, former WWE executive, to mansol the Department of Education. It's a shit show across the country.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, Chiff, the part that, in addition to obviously the offense to all different faiths that exist and those of no faith. Quite frankly, and I'm a strong believera go to church, and in fact, side note, all three of my kids joined church on their own decision making this past Sunday. So I'm not anti religion, but I don't trust these folks to teach my children about values. Not right. I mean, what you just listed is exactly case in point why we wouldn't want to. But these are also the same people who use the Good Book to justify enslaving another people. So so you can take this thing, you can twist it, you can use it so that it beguides people toward your dominance in society. But you are extracting from public education legitimate histories of our people of this country of this nation, and you expect that I'm supposed to now hand deliver over my children for you to now subjugate them again to second class stat is no thank you, no thank you. And Tiffany, you're right to point out that this is the type of stuff that's creeping in our states that quite frankly end up being the exact kinds of legislation that are rolled out at the federal level with members of Congress. Because it's already been planted in the states, they're just two point oh version two point zero to in fact infect the entire country. So if you're in a place around the nation where you think you're not impacted by this stuff, you just wait and see. They may be coming for Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana and states like mine, Florida, even Georgia and other places, but they may be up your street later. I just think it's crazy, but I'm really glad that we are putting a spotlight on it.
Speaker 4: But also that's why there's no off election years like these things are happening at school boards. So that's why it's important to have for parents, especially have a presence at these school board meetings. And this is how local politics impact our federal politics because a lot of these shitty policies start at the local, state and local level.
Speaker 1: That's exactly right, May Angelo and Florida being banned all across the state by school boards. Right, they're banning eber Kenny, everybody number one banner book banner in this country. Yet they want to introduce the Bible less curriculum for morals.
Speaker 11: Okay, we'll see.
Speaker 1: All right, y'all. So we've heard of late a lot of conversation about recess appointments. If Donald Trump doesn't get his non nominations through the confirmation process of the US Senate, that he has a fallback strategy to appoint these folks at a recess. So what is it? First of all, I want to acknowledge our listeners are brilliant, bright, highly sophisticated, but for some of us we may not have pulled back the layers of like, what's the possibility around this recess appointment. Recess appointments are obviously a power granted in the Constitution of the United States that essentially was established so that when Congress is on recess that the operation of government necessary piece of government could still go forward. So when back Obviously, during the time of its framing, it took up to two months for members of the Congress, the House, and the Senate to travel from respective places around the country back to DC to make decisions. Well, in that critical period of time, you don't want a president being handicapped or any agency not being able to do his job because a nominee hasn't been confirmed, which it created the opportunity for that president to make an appointment temporarily of an individual for a position that would otherwise have required confirmation by the United States United States Senate. Through court litigation, it was established that a recess has to last for a minimum of ten days in order for it to be an official recess. Some of us, if for Mike Johnson, the presumptive or expected Speaker of the House, current speak of the House, say that he'd be open to recess appointments, and you might ask yourself, well, what does the House Speaker have to do with recess appointments? Good question, because it's a confirmation is the responsibility of the Senate. Well, there is a little known section of the US law the Constitution that provides in instances where one of the houses of Congress wants to take a break longer than typical, it must be agreed to by both the House and the Senate. Well, if the Senate says we're not going to go with these recess appointments and we want to see every nominee and go through the confirmation process, it's prerogative can be upset by Speaker Johnson putting on the floor a resolution that says the House wants to go into recess for ten days. If it then goes over to the Senate. If it passes the House, the Senate can then say no, we disagree. And in instances where they disagree, the Constitution provides for the President of the United States to decide and dispand that Congress for its recess, giving Donald Trump the opportunity where he president to have Mike Johnson put forth a resolution for recess, the Senate to deny that, and then for Donald Trump to recess the Congress and make his appointments over a recess period. Obviously, this is not a practice that has been heavily utilized in our past. Actually only once has a cabinet member been confirmed that way, but Donald Trump. Obviously, this would have been during Clinton's administration. If I'm not mistaken and it was only recess appointments, of course only lasts for a term, which means once the Congress recesses then comes back into another term, which is typically a calendar year, that person is no longer in office. But of course the president could then repeat that practice for four years and continue to have people reside in those offices via recess appointment.
Speaker 4: So what happens then, because this is where I'm confused about the process on the Hill. So right now they're looking to fill Senator majority leader. Outgoing former majority leader Senator Mitch McConnell is retiring, and they are looking to fill that position. So Republican leadership, and Donald Trump has said this person has to be okay with recess appointments. So let's say they tap somebody who is okay with recess appointments. So Thune is now the minority leader. So if if Senator John Thune is is like, I'm okay with recess appointments, does that mean that then in the recess he can confirm all all the positions that need recess appointments.
Speaker 1: Presumptively, if the if the US Senate were to take a ten day break. Of course, Donald Trump would need to be president. He's not president. These nominees are not official until.
Speaker 4: They are post inauguration correct.
Speaker 1: Correct, correct, But theoretically the Senate could go on a recess.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 1: There are some procedural ways in which Democrats can attempt to upset, but eventually the majority can decide to take a recess.
Speaker 4: The Democrats have said.
Speaker 1: There are very and Angela, you may be able to wait inherit to it as well. But there are various procedural ways in which they can delay through requesting and requiring more votes, requiring hand count votes, or individualized votes. These are delay tactics. But the majority which they have presumptively fifty three is what is expected fifty three or fifty four, fifty three seats, I think majority in the United States Senate. They'll have what is required to go on recess right now. I also want to tell you, Tiff, because I know it can be confusing, and I hate this. I hate this for the listeners as well, because it's important we know it. Though of late, the current precedent has pretty much been that the United States Senate doesn't take much of a recess. They keep the they technically have been staying in session and bringing a local or a US senator who is in close proximity to Washington. In this case, if Republicans are in charge, I think West Virginia's probably going to be the closest, and they would have that senator come over and procedurally do some action on the floor that is of no import simply to say that the president cannot make any recess appointments because we have not technically gone on recess. That's been the operating mode probably since Clinton's time in office. Republicans have feared recess appointments and have kept the Congress. I have kept the US Senate technically in session to avoid appointments over recess.
Speaker 5: I just want to fact check this really quick, because I didn't think that that was true about Bill Clinton being the last one to use the power. So key for cabinet member, Oh for a cabinet I didn't hear you say that, okay, cabinet member. So for the other folks that heard it, like me, initially, the President Obama also used the resource appointments to confirm thirty two people, twenty eight of those in full time positions. George W. Bush used it one hundred and seventy one times.
Speaker 1: But as you know, Angela, you know, the president has over what six thousand appointments, but only a limited number obviously.
Speaker 5: Of the cabinet or ones that they make cabinet level. And then Bill Clinton used it one hundred and thirty nine times. These are for full time in part time positions. President Obama mostly used them for undersecretaries for the Deputy US Trade Representative and Deputy Attorney General while he was in office.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of using for ambassadorships as well, to avoid the confirmation you know process, and I do you want to make clear.
Speaker 5: To expedite when you're being held you know, captive by a Congress that doesn't want to work for you. So it's not just to like obscate a process, it's also when they are obscating the process, correct.
Speaker 1: Correct, And those have been the most regular uses of the recess appointment. However, at the cabinet level, again, these are people who are in the line of secession. Right the president goes, you know, vice President speak of the House on and so forth. So these are cabinet people. These are people in the line of secession constitutionally who are are basically being routed, you know, in run around the confirmation process, and I just I just want to make sure that we're all listeners and us are all aware that this is what the recess appointment is. It has not been abused prior, you know before, rather in this way for cabinet level positions. But there's no telling them what we can see through Trump.
Speaker 4: So I think I understand what y'all both saying. I guess my question is, for all of these people who are clearly problematic people, is there any chance that some of these people won't get confirmed because I feel like the Republican Party will just fall in line with Donald Trump. My outlier, I think is Matt Gates, who is obviously up for Attorney General just because he made so many enemies within the party. But we've seen this time and again where people are like, no, you know, screw him, and then they fall in line. So I don't know, And.
Speaker 5: I think Sif was still asking her question, Well, I just.
Speaker 4: Really I could talk it to Angela because I want to hear answer, but I just want to say, Andrew, I know you were in college at the same time as Matt gets uh, Matt Gates rather and we didn't get a chance to talk about that, but yeah, I'd love to hear from from you, Angela on is there any stopping this? You know, even outside the park? Is there any stop in any of these cabinet members.
Speaker 5: Here's what I really think is important. And before we get into what I really think is important, I really think we should go to break and talk about why this is not normal and why we should not normalize it. So let's talk about that on the other side of this break.
Speaker 3: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, welcome, y'all.
Speaker 5: I know that we all understand that this is not normal. I do not want to talk about Donald Trump and the way that he plans to use his executive powers as normal. I don't want to talk about him abusing what we know he will do is which has abuse recess appointments as normal. And I want to be very clear to the listening audience that it is so abnormal that this man has also appointed people to the Supreme Court who will always side with him. So not only will he likely get every appointment confirmed, whether it is through the traditional way or the way that he will abuse a recess appointment that will only apply to Donald Trump and no other president if forever to get another president. But I want to be very clear about the fact that the Supreme Court, who took issue with Barack Obama's appointments to the National Labor Relations Board during recess, that they will be totally fine with Donald Trump confirming and getting confirmed all of these crazy people, including a WWE exec and including Matt Gett. So I just wanted to be very very clear in ksey'all missed it. This is not normal. This is someone who intends to abuse the process. This is someone who's been rubber stamped along the way. I think part of my trauma this week is seeing every single one of his criminal cases falling off. And there are people that are diehard supporters of Donald Trump who are like, oh, it's God's favor. No, it is not. It is white supremacist privilege that only applies to this man. And I cannot figure out why it's again going to spiral me to I don't know, and I can't figure out why. So I'm going to table it there. But please, please, Andrew gillim while we have a feckless Attorney General named Merrick Garland who won't get anything done except for targeting black elected officials won't get anything done around Donald Trump won't ensure There are thousands of January sixth insurrectionists, by the way, who are arrested and have caught cases, but their leader did not because Merritt Garland sat there and watched. But please tell me more about a child molester could be the next attorney general's country. And it's just because it's not normal.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm no fan of the at all, I mean, but.
Speaker 5: This is the thing we have to like go from. Like this dude did not get it right. So like now we get somebody that is a complete nut basket because he's pledged blind allegiance to Donald Trump. That's just because we have somebody who actually is capable and understands the law and all that, but doesn't use it to ensure that this country is protected from this maniac. Like this is mind blowing to me. We normalize everything, wet everything as normal, and trigger back to last week when he told me just don't go to inauguration. But Jesus, like when you treat everything like it's just business as usual, you get this unusual, crazy business. And now we're all going to jail.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, tell me what can I just really really quickly, Andrew, I just want to say that Matt Gates has he is an accused. He's been accused of having sex with seventeen year olds. We called him. He's accused. He has not been convicted.
Speaker 5: He had accused of take it out the thing. But Matt Gates is not saying he's attacked Andrew personally. That is factual. He is not saying they will not see me for saying. He is not saying. And I will also say that this man there were two women who testified before the House Ethics Committee under sealed report that y'all still have not seen. I'm sure it's coming that talked about his behavior with underage women with minors, seventeen year olds, seventeen, These are miners. These are miners. These are miners. Perfect, they're miners.
Speaker 4: Well, in addition to being minors, he's also accused of paying for sex, which is also against the law. Right, you went to school with them, So I want to yeah, well we're.
Speaker 1: In the same city, we're in the same Yeah. But I will say this about is not just to him, but across the board, to these nominees. The Trump administration has decided to waive in the case of Matt Gates as well as Tulci Gabbard, as well as their nominee for the Defense Secretary FBI background checks on them, which are in depth research, interviews, and investigations on each of the nominees he's waived it. I'd like to ask this question, which is, why is it that, in the remaining days of this administration, can't Joe Biden direct the FBI to conduct these investigations right now under his watch? What limits the current president of the United States saying I believe and I will direct this agency to investigate thoroughly each of the President's nominees and make that material available to respective committees and members of both the House and the Senate, on both the Democrat, Republican and independent whoever else is up there in the Congress. But I just think that we should not yet let off the existing administration as a protectee of the Constitution and our democracy if they still believe that it is such a threat and under such threat, that they ought to use the powers that exist right now to ensure that we get the information about these individuals that we need. Because I tell you, I'm shocked that Tallahassee is not already swarming with reporters from all over. I mean, Matt and I were at college at the same time. I was student body president FAMU prior to that Senate president. He was doing similar work over at FSU. My best friend and he are law school classmates, and so on and so forth, and the stories, and I can tell you even firsthand experiences of having observed the kind of person that Matt is. A man by age, but an adolescent by attitude, demeanor and com u uh comportment, a troller in chief on every platform that allows him to still exist. There there are stories that go back to his days as as as a younger man still an adult in Tallahassee. That that that really deserve some intentional and investigative reporting. Well, I mean, well, I would say this much everything that you have seen him accused of up to this point today, should those things be confirmed and turned out to be true, know that that didn't just begin at this point in his life. That that pattern began a very long time ago, probably even before I ever encountered him or got to got to know him, when he was a student here at Florista University. And I want to be careful here because I'm not suggesting that he has anything to do with it, but he had a roommate of his pass away inexplicit inexplicably, there was an investigation that was undertaken by the Department of Law Enforcement that sort of at least it was rumored that it began as a homicide investigation, and then ultimately that went away and it was just sort of ruled as some sort of accidental death or or I forget what the actual claim on it is, but that's a job of and reporters to go in and.
Speaker 5: Find out to see out the details.
Speaker 1: I don't know why it went away, but I should note that Matt Gates' father, Popagates, Daddy Gates as the state, was a very powerful state senator at the time, had went it to retirement and now back in the and and and governing power, And so there was a lot going on under the sort of under the surface here. There are people who experienced him here, who rolled with him here, who know And I guess if I had a call out to folks who were in Tallahassee in these early two thousands and and and forward, who remember that time with him, both as a member of the legislature but going back to his time as a student at Florida State University. Who know more. If you are on the side of saving our democracy, on the side of not having a retributive uh, you know, Tyrant of a team serving as the US Attorney General, then I think you have an obligation to reach out to your local or state FBI offices, offer what you know in secret, and let them do the work that they're supposed to do to unearth what is truth and what is not. I don't want to I don't want to live in in gossip. That's why I won't say more, but I will say there there is more than smoke right now.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 1: And I think with a little bit of and and how do you say, a deep dive by by reporters, I think you can quickly start to illuminate some truths for the American people to consider before this confirmation is seen by the US Center.
Speaker 5: Can I just say really quick about Matt Gates too, because I think it is important that our cabinet officials are above reproach. There's a biblical constance we're teaching Bible in school, is teaching on the podcast too above reproach. And it is fascinating to me that the standards by which someone can be admitted to a bar, you know, to practice law, are higher than what would be required of a cabinet official. And and to me, what is also really frustrating. And I'm not saying that people don't make mistakes and that they shouldn't be forgiven or that it shouldn't be disclosed, but it could be disqualifying for an attorney to have a dui right to be arrested for dui. Matt Getz also has a d UY on his record. Oh I don't know about three. I know about one, but okay, so let's say that it's allegedly three.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, well let's go with allegedly one, but.
Speaker 4: Certain currently.
Speaker 5: Allegedly three, maybe multiples. But I guess all I'm saying is I think that it is time for this country to take a hard look at the standards that are required for people to work a job. Why is it easier? Why is the bar lower for Donald Trump to become president than it is for someone to work at a regular nine to five job. Why is it easier for someone to become the Attorney General of the United States than it is for someone to be admitted to practice law at a state bar. Those are some of the questions that we should be asking ourselves to remind ourselves that this is not a normal time, that it is abnormal, and that we should not accept this type of abnormality.
Speaker 4: Echo Echo, echo a thousand times. Andrew, can I ask you a quick question?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Please, Okay.
Speaker 4: I want to talk about this phyllish slapley character he got run in the White House. He has named Susie Wiles his chief of staff. As you all know, that does not need a Senate confirmation. You have personal experience with Susi wise, we didn't get a chance to talk about it last week.
Speaker 1: I want to hear your yeah. I'll say, you know, I don't have dirt on Susie Wilds. What I have on Susie Wilds is the fact that she is a magic maker. I mean, she came in and took over Ronda Santis' campaign when he and I were running against each other for the office of governor in twenty eighteen. And this is at the point where my poll numbers began to climb above his, and it almost in the last thirty days just sort of looked like the thing was sort of about to be done, and Susie Wilds came in to rescue his operation and turned I mean literally in thirty days, turned that ship, you know, quite around a very very low key operative. You're not going to see her holding press conferences, You're not going to see her out front. She you know, it sort of reminds me of a character from Scandal, where you know, you sort of have this clutch player who is mysterious in many ways, sort of behind the curtain, but is each extremely powerful and frankly quite impressive about the rescue mission, does the rescue mission, does the fixing, and then I think turns out almost near unbelievable outcomes. And I just underscored this sort of almost unbelievable part because I think, you know, we ought to know, we need to know more.
Speaker 4: Well since fallen out.
Speaker 1: Then she fell out with Ronda Santis and hated DeSantis because everyone was crediting her with DeSantis's win. They basically said there was no way Susie comes in as she rescues it, and she began getting a lot of attention, which she usually pushes off, but without her permission a lot of attention inure to her. The Disantances reportedly did not like that at all and simmarily dismissed her from her role at the Republican Party of Florida. And later thereafter, Trump embraced her, picked her right on up and bought him her early on into his campaign as as a senior advisor and then later obviously as as a deputy as the.
Speaker 4: Co campaign tried to discourage and absolutely, yes, I get to fire her.
Speaker 1: I would say the DeSantis is. I think it's very important to keep Casey DeSantis in the picture because of the very outsize role that she played in his life. And then last on, this is the other Matt Gates connection. Is he actually uh played me as in debate prep as the centus sparring partner. It's quite interesting because my team advisors and staff always shows women to play the role of dissentis during my debate prep, which I don't know what that was about. I didn't question it at the time, but he supposedly played me as if uh in preparing DeSantis uh for for debate. But you're right, it's not normal, and that's why I want to press on this administration to do what they can with the power that they have remaining. I think they owe us some protection here to the extent that we can get it to unearth what needs to be on earthed, because your point, Angela around above reproach above reproach for a position like this really means that you can't hide anything that's somebody else, a foreign government or even a domestic a citizen who could get a hold of then hold over your head the disclosure of that information over your head so that they can take from you or really, in this case from the American people, what is not owed to them. We need people who are beyond reproach or they need to open up the closet and let out what is in there so that they cannot be bribed or held hostage by a citizen or foreign government for information that they have over that.
Speaker 5: Is going to happen, friend, because that's the era that we're in, Like, let's just be clear about what they can't like, all of this is going to happen. I think the sooner we come to terms with the fact that this is where we are, the better ourf will be. Now for those people out there who think that Donald Trump is like a black man because he had a mug shot. You'll probably appreciate this one too. Fun fact about Susie Wiles is she lobbied for Swiss or sweets. So I guess there's a black card for you.
Speaker 4: Wow, frustrating break? Well, well, I guess it's time for a break. Well, we'll go to a break. And on the other side of that, I would love to go to if you were a questioned that hits close to my heart and that is about the punditry class and their hot garbage takes they've been offering that. So don't go anywhere.
Speaker 11: We'll be right, yeah, ma'am.
Speaker 12: Hey, Tiffany Angela Andrew. My name is Donelle. I am originally from Cludand, Ohio, but I currently live in LA and I just wanted to I guess get you ays opinion on all these pundits post elections going around blaming wokeness as the reason Kamala Harris ultimately lost the election. Being that the term woke originated within the black community, it kind of feels like a slap in the face, at least personally as a black gay man, especially being that the LGBTQ community supporting Kamala overwhelmingly too. It just feels distasteful and, like I said, a slap in the face to me that they would go around blaming wokeness or being too woke as the reason, and it ultimately kind of makes me not want to support the Democratic Party in the future. But yeah, just wanted to get you guys' opinion on that, And yes, I think you guys should definitely keep going. Your voices are definitely needed in this space.
Speaker 4: I love it. I was born in Cleveland, Ohio, so homeboy. But I want to say, the puntry class right now is trash. I'm so disgusted by all of it. Even the people that you see taking up space on these sets like Show the viewers, you have some respect for them that you at least looked up something that you are a subject matter on, something not just taking up space. But what happened earlier this week. It came out that morning Joe host, Joe Scarborough and Mika Brazinski went to meet with Donald Trump. A lot of us weren't surprised by this, but I was really surprised that so many of you guys were, and so I was happy to get this question from this this man talking about, you know, blaming woke culture. This really isn't something new, so we really shouldn't be surprised by a lot of these same folks echoing these same garbage takes. And I just want to remind people who these folks are and who they have always been. I want you all to take a listen to Joe Scarborough in twenty fourteen. This is ten years ago. This was on the heels of the Saint Louis Rams players who walked on the field in twenty fourteen, as you all remember, with the hands up, don't shoot position. This is how the former Republican Congressman Joe Scarborough responded to that outside about any others.
Speaker 6: So, but these players can suggest that the Saint Louis cops shoot black youth with their hands up in the air. That's cool with the NFL, That's cool with the Saint Louis Rams. That's cool to suggest that Saint Louis police officers in the town. Probably a lot who go to the games and watch the games and are fans. Does Saint Louis Rams think it's cool for them to suggest that Saint Louis cops shoot young black men who had hands up in the air, when we know that that was a lie. It's a lie, and what was that? Just Joan Capitill or more people like going, Oh, it doesn't matter where it's the truth or not, I'm going to suggest the cops shoot people with their hands up in the air. What is wrong with this country?
Speaker 1: It's not the truth.
Speaker 3: And you know it's not the truth.
Speaker 13: And you're going on the house floor suggesting that police officers who put their lives on the line are shooting people with their hands in the air when you know it's a lie.
Speaker 6: What's wrong with you?
Speaker 4: So on the heels of that. Never mind that many witnesses say that Michael Brown what he did, have his hands up when the officer shot him. Never minded his body was left dead in the streets to rot for hours. Never mind that we routinely saw at this time, especially and nothing that has really changed black men, unarmed black men getting shot by the police. So I just you know, that was ten years ago. So the fact that the media who normalized this foolish, ridiculousness that we've seen in Donald Trump, they didn't remind people about Trump having kisleak in the oval office. They didn't remind people about the document's case. They didn't remind people about who Donald Trump was, so it should be no surprise. And I would just ask people, if you don't like what you're seeing from the pundits, then stop watching because by you tuning in, you're saying I approve of this, and you're giving them ratings. When they announced that they met with Donald Trump there they saw their ratings take a dive. So if you go back and watch, then they're seeing an uptick and they assume that you don't mind. When you tune into US, it says, hey, we see people like what they're watching, so we will expand this platform. We'll give more opportunity. When you tune out, it says all people don't like what they're watching, So you are the real power brokers at home. Tune out if you don't like it. Speaking of normalizing, note, I want to get back to the cabinet, and I know that you got a lot to say about the cabinet. Which one did you say you you wanted to hit Angela?
Speaker 1: I forget Doctor last episode.
Speaker 5: Doctors, But before I get to doctor Oz, I do want to address part of this listener question. I actually might pitch y'all off. I do think that we have some soul searching to do, because there are a bunch of us. I label myself as a progressive. I don't really hold a party label, and there are a lot of reasons, and I'm very concerned that the way that progressive people are being talked about within the Democratic Party is damn near violent right now. There is we have to have some conversations around how we define ourselves and then how those definitions are going outside. And so he just he brought up wokeism in his comments as well, and I think wokeness like so, there's a definition from Oxford that says the quality of being alert to and concerned about social injustice and discrimination. Then there is a wokeism definition also in Oxford. It says progressive or left wing attitudes or practices, especially those opposing social injustice or discrimination, that are viewed as doctrinaire, self righteous, and insincere. And I guess, I guess My question is why is it self righteous to desire to live? Why is it self righteous to ask that police officers protect and serve all, not some? Why is it self righteous to demand that my paycheck when I'm doing the same job as you should be the same. Why is it self righteous for me to seek a mortgage loan and hope that my mortgage loan would be approved because of my credit score? Just like everybody else? Tell we you're rid of those things and not disproved or denied because of who I am and my skin color and where I come from, if you can even choose that. Why is it self righteous for me to desire to live in a neighborhood where my kids and my family can be safe because I deserve that and I can stay there and I can afford MYO Like why is that self righteous? And I think that that is the conversation that we have to have. Why is it that your power has to be a usif to my to my dreams, to my liberty, to my freedom? Like why is that the case? Yes, my mere, my mere survival. We're not even trying to we haven't even talked about thriving yet. So I'm like, I am literally still at this crossroads. I get it with him, I get his frustration with the Democratic Party, and I also am curious. We've talked about it at nauseum. I think especially in our in our you know, in our side conversations, but is the tent just too big? You know? Is the tent just too at a point at a breaking point?
Speaker 11: I remember.
Speaker 1: That's one of the one thing that's one of the few things that stood up for me for election Knight, was when we were with the Breakfast Club. I think it was Charla Might who said, is the Democratic tent just too big? Can you mean all those needs? And it sat with me, y'all, because one, I think this tent that we are describing as a big, big tent and then therefore representative of a share philosophy has always been a bit of a pipe dream. We have a lot of con Democratic Party has a lot of constituencies to serve. But as we saw from this last election, there were very important parts of that quote constituency who didn't feel seen, heard, spoken to at all whatsoever, and quite lightweight disrespected by some of what was happening, you know, within that frame. I also think that we got to really face up to the fact and this was put positive by y'all, you know, and the opening this whole question of the rainbow, the coalition, what is that is that it appears to me that when certain people get access to power, they want to one exempt themselves out of the coalition and align with an interest that has worked over time toward their suppression. And in fact, even when they joined that coalition, this group is still working over time against your very existence. Do you think the average run of the mill joe on the street is really making a difference between whether or not you are legal or he or illegally if you look to them like a latino, No, they're not. Most most folks aren't gonna displice that difference. Just like that incident of the neighbor and the neighbor. You may be a legal citizen, you may have been a born citizen here in this country, yet your neighbor hadn't even demonstrated announced curiosity about that you are brown, you are different, you are other, period. And so I that this tent thing and the question you're asking you if it's if it's too big, let's go on a journey and find out.
Speaker 4: I ask you what.
Speaker 5: I hope we can do that on the mini pot because I didn't like, I didn't know this was gon. I didn't know and it wasn't planned, but just hearing like your response watch Tiffany's space. I'm like, I want to talk about this. If we can't like, what is what I think we want from our you know, political system, from democracy? What are our high hopes? Tif maybe we can imagine and find some hope in that.
Speaker 4: Well, do y'all do y'all want to talk about that? Or do y'all want to talk about the cabinet members on the mini pot or both?
Speaker 5: I would rap to talk about Yeah, we got times if.
Speaker 4: We because we're going on the hour, we do calls now, we could potentially do both because we would it would just be a longer minipod or we can get into the cabinet now.
Speaker 5: I'm just going to say, real quick, this cast is trash. Uh, Yes, real quick, the cabinet is trash, doctor oz Uh. You know my grandmother before she passed, God rest her soul, Graham used to always talk to us about what you know, doctor Oh said, And I just would like for him to stay his ass on somebody's TV screen and out of the Department of Medicare and Medicaid Services centers. Excuse me for Medicare and Medicaid Services. That's not where he belongs. I'm deeply concerned by most of these pics. We don't have real time to get into them, but just know that he has put in the head of personnel someone who's ran his publishing companies, specifically for his books. This is literally a cabinet of Donald Trump stands. That is what you have people who have pledged blind allegiance to this man. I don't have another thing that is thought provoking to say about this, except for doctor I said, I really don't want you running this, sir, I'm.
Speaker 1: Telling you, but it's almost right, right, A president who told us to drink clorox or bleach or whatever he said to put this man over medicare medicaid. Y'all, these folks are not playing. And the truth is you said it last week, Tiffany, that trying to call out Donald Trump and follow him from a New s perspective, it's like trying to catch confetti and it's impossible, right, You can't catch all the pieces. And I think one of the things that we're going to be challenged by y'all over the coming weeks and months for sure, but years, is how it is that we create a new system of alert with his actions. We know it all falls in the categorgory of this ain't normal. But if we run around with our hair on fire, people are not going to know when to activate and when we all know this for truth that people can't stay activated twenty four to seven. We have to sleep in shifts, So so cruise got to be ready to move in when they are at their designated time. And so everything is going to feel immergent with this guy. Everything his sky is falling because it truly is. These appointments are deplorable and call them people to put the action of putting these people where he's trying to put them. But there may be different points at which there may be calls to action for us to intervene in some ways to do some things about it. And just because it's not called on everything doesn't mean that everything isn't important or a threat. But we're gonna have to calibrate ourselves as we take in what's happening to make sure we don't run people around this country with their hair on fire, but rather to start to be able to put this stuff into some perspective given what we're going to have to deal with. That's all my thoughts on that. If you want to take us at CTAs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so just to be clear, we're going to talk about what we want from our political systems on the mini pod. Yes, that's what we wanna do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we are.
Speaker 4: And just a reminder to the viewers, you can catch those mini pods. They drop every Monday, and so yeah, we'll get into that. I'm excited about it. I really kind of already gave my CTA. But I'll just reiterate. If you tune into some garbage, they think that's what you like. So you are the person who are the who's the real power broker? Stop tuning in the garbage, Stop listening to the garbage. And the thing I've said repeatedly on here, I'll keep saying it. Please share responsibly. There is so much misinformation doctor tweets, ai videos, Yes it is. Just just take a quick second before you share something and just see if it's accurate or real. I've had so much hit my inbox just this week alone, So just just take a quick pause before you post, before you share, before you drop something, just to make sure that it's accurate. Because we're about to be flooded with a lot of foolishness and guard that will sound fake, but it's sadly real on a lot of cases. Right now, Donald Trump has sixteen cabinet appointments. Who knows where we'll be at by by next week, So stay in.
Speaker 5: That's all I got, Angela, what you got, I'm going to tell y'all to track the cabinet appointments. Make sure you read up on who these folks are. I've not seen anyone yet that I'm like, you know what, that's a great pick, surprisingly great pick. I am. I am underwhelmed and really pissed, so that that would be my call to action. Please make sure y'all are checking out these cabinet appointments. Yea, videos coming, your questions, your comments. You guys have no idea how important it is to hear from you. We have a town hall style podcast over the holiday, sounds like, And that's because you all have sent in so many videos, so keep them coming.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And actually mine picks up from where you just left off, Angela, which is the commenting and the being engaged. And I don't mean just on our platform. Some of the ways in which I think we're going to be able to raise the heat about some of these nominees in the coming weeks and days is by by hitting on our elected officials. Everybody lives in the state AND's got two representatives in the United States Congress and the United States Senate. They need to know that you expect them, particularly the Democrats, but also the Republicans because they've got the majority. But we do not expect our We do not expect people who share our philosophical beliefs largely between the two systems, to roll over to anything that Donald Trump is pushing. Yes, it is going to be unfair because you are going to have to work around the clock. Your staffs will have to work around the clock. But there are not a lot of protections that people are feeling right now. We are not feeling safe, secure, held in good arms. And the upcoming a couple of months in the next four years, and so now is the time. I mean, I'm a little bit outrageous to see the Democrats only just now came up with a strategy of pushing through judges, and only coincidentally we're able to get a procedural vote pass to get some of those judges through because a couple of Republicans didn't show up. We ought to have real, fell safe plans for what we are going to do. I expect Democrats to manipulate and use the rules that are on the books to the success rate that Republicans have used them when they have been in the minority. They've used them, they've exercised them. And now is y'all's turns to get up, and it is our jobs us, the citizens, the residents in these states, to email, call, be in touch with the staffs and the offices of these members so that they can hear from us. Because if they don't hear from us, y'all, they do just like we do. They're like, oh, there are no heat on, that, there's no heat on, that, there's no expectation. So that's that's it for me. I'm sorry that was a long CTA, but I just want to warn us that this is what's going to be required of us. Are our fooling engagement with these folks, y'all. We appreciate all of us you joining us for this episode, and we hope that you will join with us in the mini pod. Y'all got some parting words otherwise.
Speaker 5: No welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 1: Before we leave this show, I want to remind everyone to please leave us a review and subscribe to the Native Lampid. We're available on all platforms and YouTube. New episodes drop every Thursday. Also, please don't forget to follow us on social media. We are Angela Rae, Tiffany Cross, and I'm Andrew Gillum. Welcome home, y'all, and guess what. There are seven hundred and twelve days until the midterm elections.
Speaker 11: There are no off elections.
Speaker 2: Thank you for joining the Natives. Attention to what the info and all of the latest rigulum and cross connected to the statements that you leave on our socials. Thank you sincerely for the faces reason for your choice is clear, so.
Speaker 1: Grateful to execute roles.
Speaker 2: Thank you for serve, defend and protect the truth human in case we walk on home in all of the Natives, we thank you.
Speaker 5: Welcomesso.
Speaker 11: Sis.
Speaker 1: Native Lampard is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.