Speaker 1: This series is inspired by true events. The stories you're about to hear are fictional, and so are the characters who are played by actors.
Speaker 2: I'd make it.
Speaker 3: We're back. I'm DJ Johnny Joulton.
Speaker 4: Boy.
Speaker 5: It's a hot one out there.
Speaker 3: Get yourselves to the lake or up backyard pool, or just turn.
Speaker 5: On a hose.
Speaker 2: Just stay cool.
Speaker 3: Friends. Samantha from Mount Pine just called in to request Cruel Summer by Banana Rama. Yes it is Samantha, Yes it is.
Speaker 1: The dog days of summer nineteen eighty four are in full swing. It's the summer between our freshmen and sophomore years. Kids are hanging out in now Lake during the day, smoking cigarettes and jumping from rope swings into the murky lake at night. They get pretty wasted at friends cake parties. But for all the summer fun we're having, there's a dark cloud hanging over me and my friends Tatiana and Melanie.
Speaker 6: Lisa Anderson's murder was the worst thing ever. I mean, it devastated us, but it wasn't like that was the end of it, because other weird stuff kept happening too.
Speaker 1: In the three months since Lisa Anderson's murder, Mount Pine has seen two fatal car accidents, one drowning, and a small plane crash which killed the pilot, the only person on board. That's a lot of tragedy for one small town.
Speaker 6: We hoped people dying and all that dark stuff was behind us. Little did we know we'd be there for the next one.
Speaker 1: I'm Nancy Clark. This is The Murder Years, Episode two, Dawn.
Speaker 7: Nine one one. What's your emergency?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I don't know. It's really loud here, but I'm kind of freaking out. I think I just heard gunshots. I mean, there are lots of gunshots, but I think I just Oh my god, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Saturday, August eleventh, nineteen eighty four is a hot one. On this particular day, Tatiana, Melanie and I are at the lake trying to escape the heat when our other friend, Carla Espinoza joins us. Back in nineteen eighty four, Carla is fifteen years old and in our grade, and her mind is like a steel trap. She has not forgotten a single detail in almost forty years.
Speaker 9: I remember I got sun in at the store and I was going to put it in my hair for the first time that day. I was hoping it would be way lighter by that night because I got a date that night. We were going to get pizza then go to the drive in. Anyway, the lake was packed.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 9: I saw Sam Foster there with his parents. They were on their boat.
Speaker 1: Eighteen year old Sam Foster, a senior at Mount Pine High School, is not just cute. He's Matt dilloncute. He's also smart, kind and popular and in love with Don Cartwright, another eighteen year old senior. We were all envious. The two were the perfect couple.
Speaker 10: Yeah, this is going to be interesting and pretty, hearn's talk about. But I'll do my best.
Speaker 1: Today. Sam's fifty six years old and owns a restaurant in town. I'm surprised he hasn't left Mount Pine. In nineteen eighty four, Sam's girlfriend Dawn would become the second murder victim and left less than six months. He agrees to share his painful memories of that day.
Speaker 10: I remember the moment I started liking Don car Ryan. It was ninth grade in biology class. She was so pretty, like unbelievably pretty. Plus she was smart and a really good writer. She wrote with the school newspaper, the Mount Pine Messenger. Well so, anyway, well, she finally a couple years later, gave me a chance and we found love like that deep teenage love that well you can only really understand if you've had it.
Speaker 1: And on this Saturday night, August eleventh, is there official one year anniversary as boyfriend and girlfriend. But their plans for a perfect evening would turn into a nightmare.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, I was playing in A real nice night started with dinner.
Speaker 5: I had seen a recipe.
Speaker 10: In one of my mom's magazines for broiled chicken breast marinated in mayonnaise and Italian dressing. I was going to make that. I can't believe I actually made that. Oh gosh. So anyway, after the lake, I went to shop a lot. I got a disc out there. I got the chicken and some salad stuff and Spomoni ice cream, you know the kind with the with the three flavors and the little candied pieces in it. It was it was Don's favorite. Back at home, I have say goodbye to my parents who were going to a cookout. I took a shower, and yeah, and I got dressed.
Speaker 5: I was so excited.
Speaker 10: I ran to open the door and stand in front of me was Dawn smiling, and behind her was her dad, and Don's dad waved as he backed out of the driveway in his cream convertible buickre Vi Era. Man, that car was so cool, and I well, I poured some rum from my parents' liquor cabinet, uh, and we toasted and we sat in the dining room. I tried to make it special, you know, fancy tablecloths, candles. I used my mom's good china. She would have killed me, but Don was impressed, just as I planned, and we ate. After dinner, we headed out and my mom's powder blue Forward station wagon and into the driving.
Speaker 5: We went to see Red Dawn.
Speaker 10: It was about American high schoolers fighting the Russians who invaded their town, which which felt kind of real back done. But I also chose that one, you know, because they had my girlfriend's.
Speaker 5: Name in it.
Speaker 1: Tatiana and I are also at the drive in that night, but we aren't there to see Red Dawn. We're seeing the Karate Kid. Carla and her date are there too.
Speaker 9: We were at Karate Kid, and my dude brought pillowcases to put up on the side windows in case we wanted to make out. Most cars back then had jackets or pillowcases up for privacy. I'm not sure kids watched the movies much back then.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I brought a couple of pillowcases too, so yeah, I put the cases up. Don moved closer to me and mccuddled. Half Way through the movie, nature called and I went to the bathroom, and then I stopped at the concession stand. I ordered Dawn a hot pretzel, which was her favorite, got some popcorn for me, and two cooks. I remember I couldn't hear how much it was over the noise from the movies, and so I asked the guy to.
Speaker 5: Say it again.
Speaker 10: And then suddenly.
Speaker 9: Nine one one, what's your emergency?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I don't know. It's really loud here, but I'm kind of freaking out. I think they just heard gunshots. I mean that there are lots of gunshots, but I think I just, oh my god, oh my god, oh my god, you need to get someone here right now.
Speaker 11: Where are you calling from?
Speaker 2: A paper? At that, I meant sunset four drive in.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I remember this so clearly. Tatiana, her sister, and I are watching the movie. Then all of a sudden, mount Pine police and emergency vehicles are everywhere.
Speaker 5: It was total chaos.
Speaker 6: I was terrified. We all were.
Speaker 1: At this point. We have no idea what's actually going on. But soon we hear people say a woman's been shot and killed.
Speaker 2: It was an incredibly chaotic scene.
Speaker 1: That's Detective Kurt Peters. He's retired now, but back in nineteen eighty four he was only three years on the job. And because Mount Pine had so few homicides, Peters mostly works in the robbery division, but not on this night.
Speaker 5: They were just.
Speaker 4: Talking some people everywhere. I mean, there were two screens of moviegoers, not to mention employees of the drive, and there was.
Speaker 2: A lot of people.
Speaker 4: And while we wish we could send them home, we knew they were potential witnesses or maybe one of them was actually the killer. So the first thing I did was talk to the young man sobbing on the other side of.
Speaker 2: The police tape.
Speaker 4: He said his name was Sam Foster, and he told us how victim's name was don Codwright. She had been shot in the chest and was pronounced dead at the scene.
Speaker 10: So I told the detective somehow, and I don't even know how I got words out. I was at the concession stand when I heard something, and then a few months later, saw people looking at the direction of our car, so so I ran over and that's uh, excuse me, that's when I saw Dawn. She was slumped over and pleading from her chest.
Speaker 5: I couldn't got rid what I was seeing. He was distraught.
Speaker 2: He said, everything was okay, you went to the bathroom.
Speaker 4: Then the concession said he said he was nowhere near the car at the time of the shooting.
Speaker 10: Well he uh. He asked me if I owned a gun, and I told him, yes, a rifle, but it was at home and I had only used different hunting with my dad. And then he asked if I had any motive for killing Dawn, and that's and I really lost it.
Speaker 5: Shit. I wanted to marry that girl.
Speaker 1: We are all freaked out in really just wanting to go home, but to the cops, we're all potential witnesses, so we end up staying at the drive in for hours. Meanwhile, our parents are finding out about the shooting on the news.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Dan, I'm here at the sunset for drive In. There was a shooting during the eight o'clock screening of Red Dawn. Please tell me there is one victim who is deceased after being shot in the chest and a killer who is still on the loose.
Speaker 1: Detective Peter says a quick assessment of the crime scene leaves him believing they were two shots fired, one that went into the frame of the car and one through the windshield, and they're thinking the killer used a nine millimeter. Around midnight, Detective Peters arrives at the Cartwright home. He has to break the news to Don's parent.
Speaker 11: It was late when the doorbell rang.
Speaker 1: Don's father, Michael Cartwright comes to the door in pajamas. Heart writes, now in his late seventies, he agrees to share the family's heart wrenching story.
Speaker 11: I actually couldn't compute what I was being told. I was like, you're telling me my daughter's dead. Our dawn has been murdered. It felt totally surreal, like our whole world just ended. And I thought, look, if it's that kid in the leather jacket that she's got the major crush on, I'll break every bone in his body.
Speaker 1: Detective Peters says, a little after one am, he meets with Sam Foster and his parents at Mount Pine Police Station.
Speaker 2: I started by asking about his relationship with.
Speaker 10: Don, and I told him we were so happy, so in love. We were going to attend State College next year together. Don was going to study early childhood education and I was going to study hospitality management.
Speaker 4: I asked him again about what he did in the hours before the shooting.
Speaker 10: And I told him how my parents went out that night, I went to the grocery store and then home to get ready for our anniversary dinner.
Speaker 4: I then asked him if he knew anyone who might want to hurt Don, and he just moaned and started sobbing again.
Speaker 10: I remember, yeah, I told him, yes, I know someone.
Speaker 5: Who might want on debt.
Speaker 1: Sam Foster is at police headquarters telling Detective Kurt Peters he may know someone who would want his girlfriend Don gone.
Speaker 10: I told him I maybe knew someone who would want to hurt Don. I said something did happen earlier in the day that I hadn't shared with him yet. Well, my ex girlfriend, Michelle had actually come over. I didn't let her in, but she sat on my front steps and said she she wanted me back. She didn't care that I love Don. She was going to get me back no matter what.
Speaker 1: Sam's referring to nineteen year old Michelle Smith, who graduated the year before. She and Sam met while working at Shop a Lot and they dated for almost a year. Apparently Michelle was still hung up on Sam and determined to get him back.
Speaker 10: I told Michelle she needed to leave. I was getting ready for Dawn and my anniversary dinner and we were going to the driving later. Yeah, Michelle was pissed, really pissed, but I wasn't sure she was capable of hurting anyone, I mean physically at least, and I told Detective Peters that.
Speaker 4: So Michelle knew they were going to the drive. Then I wondered if her obsession with Sam was strong enough for her to commit murder. So Sam said Michelle was living with a few roommates and he gave me the address. When I got there, though I knot but no one answered. I hope she hadn't skipped out, and then found out her mom's adevsk and went there.
Speaker 2: At this point, it was like the three in the morning.
Speaker 4: I knocked and a short bald man in boxer came to the door. I introduced myself and asked who he was. He said it was how How Michelle's stepfather, Michelle's stepfather. I asked if he knew where Michelle was, and he said.
Speaker 2: She's with her mom there at the hospital. She's with her mom, and they were at the hospital.
Speaker 5: Michelle was having some abdominal pains.
Speaker 2: He sat around six o'clock that night before.
Speaker 4: Michelle was having some adominal pain, so her mom took her to the er. Turns out Michelle had appendicitis and was rushed into the emergency surgery.
Speaker 1: An officer is sent to the hospital to confirm Michelle is there. She's been there since early evening the day before. She has an air tight alibi.
Speaker 2: So that was a dead end.
Speaker 4: And a while later I was back at my desk when I was told there was someone there to see me. I walked out to the lobby and I saw, to my surprise, Michael Cartwright, Don's dad. He said he needed to talk, so I escorted him to an interview brough.
Speaker 1: Here's Michael Cartwright once again.
Speaker 11: I told that Detective Peters that I thought maybe I knew who killed Don. I told him I just kicked this guy out of the building I own. I mean, this guy was bad news. He was selling drugs right out of the apartment. He hadn't paid rent in months, and he was starting to get into all sorts of altercations with the other tenants. It took a long while, but I finally got him out last week. Since then, I see him around a lot, so much around that it's like he's following me.
Speaker 2: Down.
Speaker 11: Even says she'd seen him once at the gas station, like he appears out of nowhere, and I'm telling you, she.
Speaker 2: Was super creeped out.
Speaker 11: I told him I would report it.
Speaker 4: I asked mister Carr right the guy's name, and he said Todd Wilson. So I ran his name through the system and I learned Todd Wilson was twenty five years old and he had a record, but mostly for drug offenses and shoplifting.
Speaker 2: I knew we needed to talk to him right.
Speaker 4: His last known address listed was the one he was just evicted from, so her question was where is it.
Speaker 11: I told the detective that his sister might know.
Speaker 1: Detective Peters looks her up and finds her address.
Speaker 4: When I got to the sister's apartment, I could see through the window there was a guy sleeping.
Speaker 2: On the sofa.
Speaker 4: I was thinking it had to be him, right, I knocked and the guy stirred. I knocked again, then watched him get up and walked towards the door. I put my hand on my gun. I needed to be ready. The door open place where a mess dirty clothes were strewn around the room. Empty food containers and beer cans clutted the coffee table and the floor around it. It didn't smell too good in there either, like someone had been microwaving fish. And standing before me at the door was this unshaven guy, white, mid twenties and wreaking of alcohol. I asked him his name. He said, Todd Wilson. Suggest who I was looking for. I told him I was investigating a murder and I had some questions for him. And I was actually surprised when he invited me in corn and.
Speaker 2: He looked nervous though.
Speaker 4: I asked him if he was on anything, any drugs, but he said no. He told me he recently got evicted and he was furious. I'll be able to pay my rent soon. He told his landlord he was going to be able to pay the rent soon. But the dude didn't care. He just wanted him out. I asked him his landlord's name, Cartwright cart Right. He said, I think he's.
Speaker 2: The same guy whose daughter got killed last night.
Speaker 4: I think he's the same guy whose daughter got killed last night. I asked him if he confronted the landlord, if he provoked the guy after he got thrown out. He said no, no, I haven't seen the guy since, and no, I didn't do anything to his daughter.
Speaker 2: He swore he didn't do anything to his daughter. I asked him where he was last night and he stuttered. Then he said he went to the movies. Seriously, he's admitting this.
Speaker 4: I asked maybe he had proof, and he said yes, and he had the ticket stub.
Speaker 5: In his wallet.
Speaker 1: Detective Peter says, Todd Wilson opens his wallet and pulls out a ticket stub for the seven point thirty showing of Red Dawn. But when Peters examines the ticket more closely, he sees it from the Mount Pine Cinema downtown, not the Sunset four driving.
Speaker 2: I was like, damn it.
Speaker 4: I would still need to interview the employees at the movie theater to confirm he was actually there. I mean, he could have gotten the ticket stub from a friend, but he had it already. He didn't know I was coming, And it seemed like my gut was telling me this guy was not the killer.
Speaker 1: Detective Peter says after his interview with Todd Wilson, he goes home to get a few hours of sleep. It may be a long road to catching his killer. As the days turn into weeks with no real leads, Detective Peters says he's at a loss. Then a call comes in that gives him some direction. Uh.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I don't get my name or anything, but I think I know where that gun, the one that was used to kill that girl at the drive in.
Speaker 2: I think I know where it is.
Speaker 1: Several weeks after Don Cartwright's murder, lead, Detective Peters gets an anonymous tip.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that gun, I heard It's in the lake behind the drive in.
Speaker 1: Peters says all tips are taken seriously, this one, especially since Mount Pine doesn't have a dive team they asked for from the county. Turns out, the county's dive team is responsible for a total of two hundred and eighteen lakes and bodies of water. Officer Cliff Nelson will lead the crew of ten in the search for the murder weapon. He's long since retired, but he graciously agreed to take me through what they did that day at the lake behind the drive in.
Speaker 12: Normally we use specialized equipment for searching, such as metal detectives. It was just, you know, it was just impossible. This lake was topped to bottom, thick with weeds. It was murky. We couldn't even see down there. So we had to come up with a different procedure, which was walking it and stepping on things and picking them up and seeing what it was. So we decided to link arms and we walked slowly, trying to feel with our feet with every step, out of the area where we thought the gun would be about the size of a football field. Right then, about thirty minutes in, officer yells, hey, I think I just stepped on something. He reaches down, pulled up a gun was a nine millimeter jackpot.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean it was a good day, you know.
Speaker 12: Detective Peters was very pleased, I can tell you that.
Speaker 4: So now we got the gun, but it had been underwater and maybe wiped clean, so there were no viable prints on it. But we were able to run the ceial number and it came back registered to Leslie Perkins.
Speaker 1: Detective Peters heads out to talk with forty one year old Leslie Perkins, who lives in a modest home on a cul de sac, the last street before the industrial part of town. The house is run down, it could use a paint job. Actually, newspapers covered the windows in lieu of curtains. When Peters knocks on her torn up screen door, a boy appears.
Speaker 4: Kid looked around fifteen years old, maybe fourteen. His clothes were dirty, his hair matted. I asked him if Leslie Perkins was home, and he said yes, that was his mom, and he'd go get her.
Speaker 1: Leslie Perkins invites Detective Peters inside. The place is as depressing inside as it is out, ripped up furniture, bowls of old food everywhere. Peters explains why he's there.
Speaker 2: I'll got you to chase.
Speaker 4: I told her we believed her gun had been used to murder an eighteen year old girl. I asked her if she knew Don Cartwright.
Speaker 2: And she said no, I don't. Then I asked her where her gun was.
Speaker 10: It's in my nightstand.
Speaker 2: She didn't hesitate. She said it was in her nightstand.
Speaker 9: As a single mother, I have it for protection.
Speaker 2: As a single mother, she said she had it for protection. I asked her to.
Speaker 4: Go get it, but fully knowing it wouldn't be there because we believe we at it.
Speaker 1: Leslie Perkins leaves the room and returns empty handed.
Speaker 8: The gun is gone.
Speaker 2: She said the gun was gone.
Speaker 4: I asked her who knew she had it? Just then she looked over at her son standing in the doorway, and he just faulted and ran out.
Speaker 2: The back door.
Speaker 1: Detective Peter says, he runs after him, but the kid's too fast. He's gone.
Speaker 4: So I called the backup and fibolo a be on the lookout. They put out for a white mouth around fourteen years old. He was wearing a zzy top T shirt and jeans.
Speaker 1: Police search mail Pine for hours. They called in the canine dogs from the county, but they eventually lose his scent. Detective Peters says it was as if the kid pulled a Houdini like. He totally disappeared. Six hours into the search, police find and we find him hiding in a storm drain near the elementary school. His name is Dennis Perkins and he's actually sixteen years old.
Speaker 4: Finally, right we took him into custody and went to the station where the mother was already waiting. But there wasn't going to be an interview because Dennis's mother refused to let her son speak with us as a lawyer present, The interview was over before it ever began.
Speaker 2: So we got a.
Speaker 4: Warrant and searched dnnisis room, and luckily we found one significant piece of evidence, or at least we hoped it was significant. We found a pair of tennis shoes with some small pieces of glass embedded in them. We were thinking it was glass from the windshield. We knew there was still a lot of work to do, but we had enough to hold him for forty eight hours.
Speaker 7: Luck would have it.
Speaker 4: The very next day a witness came for it and said he saw Dennis Perkins at the drive end that night, leaving the hole in the fence behind the bathrooms. We arrested Dennis Perkins upon a second degree murder charge, along with two counts of possession of a firearm. I asked the kid why he did it. He just stared back at me in silence. He was charged as an adult and held with our bond.
Speaker 1: I tracked down the prosecutor who tried the case, Ben blythe Today he's a circuit court judge.
Speaker 13: Look, the first thing I did was go back to court to argue for the charges to be upgraded to first degree murder. We believed he not only knew what he was doing, it was deliberate, and that would be corroborated by a new witness came forward.
Speaker 7: This witness was two cars in front of Sam and Dawns.
Speaker 13: He said he heard the first shot, then maybe three seconds later, he heard a second shot. We all knew there was a lot of heavy gunfire in the movie, but this witness owned the same kind of gun and knew the difference between the movie gunfire and what was happening in real life. We believed the first shot missed and it hit the frame of the car, and instead of leaving, Perkins waited three seconds, which is actually a long time one one thousand, two, one thousand, three, one thousand.
Speaker 7: Then he fired the second and fatal shot.
Speaker 13: So we argued that the killing was wilful and deliberate since he waited before firing the second shot.
Speaker 1: And judge agrees. Dennis Perkins charges are upgraded to first degree murder. He pleads not guilty. Nine months later, the trial begins. Don's parents are there every day.
Speaker 11: I mean, the pain that my wife and I were in was unbearable, and that guy I couldn't stand the sight of him in the courtroom. All we could see was the back of his head and was still.
Speaker 5: Enough to make.
Speaker 2: Me want off.
Speaker 11: I want to kill him for what he did to my family, for taking Don away from US.
Speaker 1: Prosecutor Ben Blythe believes it's an open and shutcase.
Speaker 13: We knew his mom's gun was used to kill Don Okay, and it was later proven to be a match. The glass and issues came back to match the windshield, and he got very lucky when a friend of Dennis Burkers came forward at trial. He testified about how they had snuck into the drive in through the hole in the fence behind the bathroom. After walking around for a while, this guy watched Perkins knock on a car window and asked the person to roll it down. Then he said he heard Dennis say something about money. He couldn't hear what the person, the woman in the car, said, but it looked like she just rolled the window back up. The friend said he started to walk away, then he heard a shot. When he turned around, he saw Dennis Perkins standing in front of the car. Then he saw him shoot again. He said he ran and never looked back, but the next day, Perkins went to his house and told him he was mad.
Speaker 7: That the girl was rude to it.
Speaker 13: She was a bitch and looked like she had money and just didn't want to give it to him.
Speaker 7: He said.
Speaker 13: In the months leading up to the killing, Perkins would take his mom's gun and just like around the house, pretend or practice like he was robbing someone.
Speaker 7: The witness said.
Speaker 13: He felt really awful that he never told anybody about it. Thought he might have been able to prevent Don Kyle Wright's death and that was something he'd have to live with for the rest of his life.
Speaker 1: On the sixth day of the trial, the case goes to the jury. They come back in five hours with a verdict guilty. Dennis Perkins is sentenced to life without parole. Don's father bursts into tears.
Speaker 11: Yeah, great, he was found guilty, but it never should have happened in the first place. I mean, he could have just walked away after the first shot. Why does he have to keep shooting. Why do you have to take our daughter away, our only daughter.
Speaker 13: I mean, look, as the prosecutor, I was really happy with the verdict, but the whole thing was a tragedy. I mean, Don Cartwright should never have been killed, and a sixteen year old should not have made the tragic choices he made that night that essentially ended not just Don's life.
Speaker 7: But his too. This case had detected Peter's real.
Speaker 4: Hard This is just my opinion, but he should not have had access to a gun. He was a kid and a trouble kid, and I pushed for the mom to be charged too, but the DA didn't pursue that. I also thought Perkins' mom probably missed a lot of warnings tennis, and if she had been clued in, he could have gotten some help and Don Cotwright would still be here.
Speaker 2: I don't know, just a damn tragedy.
Speaker 1: So another senseless murder. Why why here and why us? We were all so scared and how.
Speaker 6: Were we supposed to protect ourselves from being the next you know, the next victim. Don't go to parties or the drive in, don't date, but make sure to give everyone money who asked for it. It was ridiculous and honestly, really scary.
Speaker 9: These murders were changing us, and the next one, damn, it almost tore that family apart at the seams.
Speaker 1: Next time on the murder years.
Speaker 10: Nine one one what's your emergency.
Speaker 4: Well, I went to throw out the trash or dumpsterraw back and there's a body inside.
Speaker 1: Another murder, this one behind the Bowling Alley.
Speaker 2: He told me he kind of hated the guy, and that was no secret. I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 10: He said he did what he had to do to keep me safe.
Speaker 1: The Murder Years is a production of AYR Media and iHeartMedia. Executive producer Eliza Rosen for AYR Media co executive producer Paulina Williams. Written by Leah Rothman, directed by Michael Celtics. Original concept developed in partnership with Anna, Margaret Johns and Greg Spring. Casting by Eisenberg Beans Casting Senior Associate producer Eric Newman, Associate producer Jill Hushesnik. Editing and sound design by Tristan Bankston, mastering by Cameron Taggie, Audio engineering by Matt Jacobson, Studio engineering by Jay Brannan. Music by Nathan Bankston. Legal counsel for a y R Media Gianni Douglas. Executive producer for iHeartMedia, Maya Howard. Performances for this episode by Gabrielle Carteris as Nancy Clark, Kelly Deadman as Tatiana Borla Cassiby as Melanie, Maricilda Garcia as Carla, Charles Carroll as Prosecutor Blythe Dathan B. Williams as Detective Peters. Desiree Rodriguez is nine one one operator, James B. Kennedy as Sam Foster, James Donahour as Michael Cartwright, John Ralston Craig as DJ Johnny Jolt, John Ralston Craig as Reporter Number one, Sarah Alascal as Al Lake Inn comm announcer, Tom Virtue as Officer Nelson menaniing Day as nine one one caller Number three menaning Day as anonymous tipster. Additional voices by Sarah Zook and Alex Salem