Speaker 1: Speaks to the planet. I'll go by the name of Charlamagne of God and guess what. I can't wait to see y'all at the third annual Black Effect Podcast Festival. That's right, We're coming back to Atlanta, Georgia, Saturday, April twenty six at Poeman Yards and it's hosted by none other than Decisions, Decisions, Mandy B and Weezy. Okay, we got the R and B Money Podcast with taking Jay Valentine. We got the Woman of All Podcasts with Sarah Jake Roberts, we got Good Mom's Bad Choices. Carrie Champion will be there with her next sports podcast and the Trap Nerds podcast, with more to be announced. And of course it's bigger than podcasts. We're bringing the Black Effect Marketplace with black owned businesses, plus the food truck court to keep you fed while you visit us.
Speaker 2: All right, listen, you don't want to miss this.
Speaker 1: Tap in and grab your tickets now at Black Effect dot Com Flash Podcast Festival.
Speaker 3: If you would like to have us answer your questions. If you have a terrible job, a terrible boyfriend, or a terrible throuffle, guess what you've got?
Speaker 4: Decisions, Hey, y'all, welcome to another the You got decisions and I'm here to help you make them. It's your girl, Mandy B. And I'm here with Eddean Martine.
Speaker 5: I mean, you did it. You can full annunciation like I did. That's funny. And Avena is how they would call me in Spanish.
Speaker 2: You noticed, because I'm extent.
Speaker 4: Okay, come back, before we get started with are you gout decisions? I want to let you know if you haven't yet, to be sure to pre order our book, No Holes Barred Ding Manifesto of Sexual Exploration and Power. It is available for pre order. Make sure you support your local black owned, woman own, queer owned bookstores. But it's also available on Amazon, so go ahead and get that now. And I guess we'll get started, y'all. I got away from the sex a little bit, y'all was I'll talk to y'all on a regular episode, not epicking.
Speaker 5: On my nerves. They be get on my nerves. I wanted to know all.
Speaker 4: The sex stuff with me and my bullshit. I'm like, you know what, let me get away from that. Let's get into some real tea in the real world.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 2: So okay, we're not gonna do that one.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, we'll start with the corporate America.
Speaker 5: That's what we'll do.
Speaker 4: That's what we'll do for this week. So for all of my corporate baddies, hopefully we can give you a little bit of advice here too. Hey, Mandy and Weezy not here. I need some help with the decision because I've heard y'all stories about leaving the corporate world to do what you do. I've been in the same business for seven years. It's contracted work. It's what I went to school for. Was starting to make decent money and thought was my dream since I was a teen.
Speaker 2: Fast forward to a few weeks ago.
Speaker 4: My boss blindsided me and decided to not renew my contract. They told me only a few days before it was up, leaving me with only two months severance pay. Oh that sucks, this econmy It was devastating, But fut that bitch. Anyway, I just renewed my homes rental contract, so it really means I only have a few weeks to find a job before the money runs out. I've been trying sixty plus applications, but the job market is ass right now and I've had no luck thus far, I've been thinking about what's next for me. Since I have the background and skills, I would love to dive into the world of entertainment, podcasting, hosting, etc. However, I also need now money to pay the bills. If this were you, how would you transition? Do I break the rental contract, suffer the financial consequences, and move back in with my parents in my thirties and start over. Do I find a short term job first to pay the bills while simultaneously building my new career. Or do I stay in the same industry that projected me a little longer until I get back on my feet, then decide from there.
Speaker 6: Thanks, I sincerely do like all three options. I hate the going back to your parents one more than the other.
Speaker 4: Well mean too, because it's not only the months of rent the one month of rent, but it's whatever to break your your lease. Here's the thing, I know how hard the job market is currently.
Speaker 2: I have a lot of friends that are constantly looking. I think it's.
Speaker 4: Also this weird place right now where because AI is reading resumes like the advice that my friends are getting is to literally tailor their resumes for each job application.
Speaker 6: That's actually a lot of people I know are doing the same thing, has the time to do that.
Speaker 5: So it's tough.
Speaker 2: It is tough.
Speaker 4: I will say I will never ever so where you said you kind of like all three, I would actually never recommend anybody to leave getting a check to explore entrepreneurialship in a drought. Right now, there's a drop like she's like, bro, I only have two months of sevens pay, which means there's no savings.
Speaker 2: Like before I quit my corporate job, I had savings.
Speaker 4: I got new furniture, I paid off my credit card bills because Sally may ate c and me hunt. But I did those things that would make me feel comfortable to dive into entrepreneurship. So that wouldn't be my suggestion, honestly. And it takes and let's be very clear, anyone listening who wants to dive into entertainment quote unquote podcasting any of it. It costs money, a lot of money, and it takes a while to make.
Speaker 6: Money a lot of money, like a lot of money, because it's not even just like dollar bills, but money even in terms of time, it's like.
Speaker 5: It costs a lot of time. Yes, one big.
Speaker 6: Thing for me and to even pickyback on the whole like entrepreneurship. You know, I have a lot of people who do constantly ask me, hey, like, what's a good side hostle to get on to really make things happen.
Speaker 5: I'm like, well, what's the skill that?
Speaker 6: What's her skill set? That's kind of a that's kind of a big thing for me. It's like, what is your skill set? Good question, because then now can you really use that to monetize because anybody else you could go do door dash or X y Z. But realistically, the flow of that is not as going to be as big as whatever severance you have and whatever you were making for now. One big thing that she did say that I thought was interesting is her diving back into the career that kind of also mended her in the way.
Speaker 2: Now well she had here's the thing.
Speaker 5: She clearly liked it.
Speaker 4: She said, this is the career she wanted since she was a team I wouldn't let this boss or this job, like not renewing your contract gets you down on something that's your passion and what you love. First off, I do also want to say that baby, you don't understand the privilege of having parents that you can go back, Like for it's crazy because I know we get on the internet and people we'll sit here and talk shit about people who gotta do Uh. That is actually a privilege, huge privilege to have first off, your parents still here, but also them having enough space in their home to take you in until you get back on your feet.
Speaker 2: It's a privilege.
Speaker 4: Yeah, your in your twenties, thirties, forties, fifties, If you have to go back, that's that's what parents.
Speaker 5: I encourage it.
Speaker 6: I encourage it honestly because it's like now and this is like in a dire situation Like that's where I'm like, yes, now if you're just kind of like going lazy off and then you're just trying to go back because you're like, I'm cool, I got a safety in that.
Speaker 5: Not fuck that.
Speaker 4: I will say, you brought up uber door dash. Those are things that people can like do to make but it's a lot of time. I will say it also depends the city. True, that's to how much money they can make. Right, this is this is one of those it's tricky, but it's not tricky. I think you have to buckle the fuck now. I don't know. Also as well, I believe if you get severance, you can still get unemployment. But I don't know, depending on what type of contract she had, if you know that company even paid into unemployment to allow her. Also, it was a contracted position, so I'm not sure.
Speaker 5: Apparently in most cases you are allowed to you can depend on the men.
Speaker 4: It depends on the benefits. So I would look into any any sort of assistance. First, I would be open to applying as well to things outside of your industry.
Speaker 2: You have to, you're an adult.
Speaker 4: I would actually see it clear if you are in a position of survival. The last thing I would recommend anyone is to dive into something new, like posting a podcast or you know, starting a business from scratch or like, because what that's going to do is.
Speaker 2: Take away this.
Speaker 6: And again that's a lot of money, essentially, a lot of money.
Speaker 2: Essentially, What did you do? Like, were you corporate before you got in?
Speaker 6: You know, it's funny, not really. I mean I worked a couple of jobs. I was a I was a running down, I was a bro. I did after school teaching. I did work at like a broadcasting network, and that's really it. After that I got into podcasting, and that I never really stopped. Okay, I did a lot of freelance work. I mean that's how I met you. Guys do like freelance photographies. But again it's all on the skill set. Now, if you want to maybe use your entrepreneurial skills to kind of make like a side hustle while you're doing your like side hustle while you're figuring things out, that, I'm.
Speaker 4: Like, okay, So I'm just gonna just go add on to that, because although I don't like cheaters or liars, the only way I'm going to accept it is if you lie on that resume. So if you do have skills and things, girl, check it out. Forever twenty one going bankrupt? What name some other ones that just went bankrupt. There's mad Stores that Michaels, Michaels went bankrupt. And hold on, what's the little thing where the girls used to wear the little the little leotards and ship American apparel?
Speaker 2: Girl, create create a resume with a whole bunch of.
Speaker 4: Shit that no longer exists. Ask your friends and family, Oh, they don't have no one to come.
Speaker 5: That's a good trick. I do like that. Use use some of the like, don't feel like you were, like, you know, regional man.
Speaker 4: Don't put regional manager, you can put store manager. Yeah, put things that Route twenty one. I used to work there. They no longer exist.
Speaker 5: That's a really good to you certain you.
Speaker 4: Know, and that's in retail, right, But there's also so many other companies that.
Speaker 5: Still helps a lot.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because I know too many people who try to do retail and they have no experience, and they're always looking for someone with.
Speaker 4: Experience, So use them stores that no longer exists because they have no one to really call you can.
Speaker 6: I also add like I know too many people, a lot of friends of mine who when it comes to these tough times of getting employment, they go on like let's say LinkedIn, et cetera.
Speaker 5: They do their easy applause or they apply like that.
Speaker 6: But I will also very much encourage to go meet people, go to events and stuff like that, because right now I just had someone asking me if I knew a photographer in LA and I'm like, cool, Yeah, I have like three people that could recommend you, and that's it all for that. They trust my word that hey, I know these people, they do good work and it works out, and it's from knowing someone at the same time, if you go go meet people, meet events, you'll make a connection. Hopefully you can find a side hustle like that. But that's so crazy. I love that resonates them. I'm so sorry that I can't forget.
Speaker 5: That, like live just a little bee a lot of it, just a little bit, little bit.
Speaker 2: Like look at the skills. You know how to follow a shirt.
Speaker 4: It's like, I don't know, like I think that that's something to do. And then oh my god, I had another tip at the tip of my tongue.
Speaker 5: I like that.
Speaker 2: You brought up the LinkedIn.
Speaker 6: And people throwing, people throwing something and hoping the sticks. But realistically it is just like you said, it's very ai or automated, like if not looking through the shingle.
Speaker 5: Oh well, they have characters, no, no.
Speaker 2: Here we go and a little backstory.
Speaker 4: So I moved to New York in twenty twelve from Miami. I got up here. I immediately went, of course to bartending. So I was bartending, and when I tell you, I was hustling. So I bartended Applebee's. I went all the way to Long Island to this place called Giggles, which was like a comedy club. I commuted from Brooklyn to Long Island to Bartend. Then I got into like the strip clubs. I used to do the Duck in Harlem. So I did all these like random gigs bartending. But what really got me like a stable check was getting into a temp agency.
Speaker 2: Okay, so there's Robert Half.
Speaker 4: There's like a lot of different names, and I don't know which ones are local to you because you didn't put where you live. But when I tell you, temp agencies will get you in and get you jobs that can go from temporary to permanent. They go across various industries or a lot of times you can just be like executive assistant receptionists, things like that. I was a receptionist for an ad agency. I was a receptionist for a law firm. I was a receptionist an executive assistant at Ross, which, by the way, another company that just went bankrupt.
Speaker 5: Ye that's Ross was another one.
Speaker 2: Ross dressed for less.
Speaker 4: But I was in their corporate office here in New York and all of these Oh listen.
Speaker 5: That's the thing that she's like, you see, especially.
Speaker 4: At the time, it wasn't a Let's be very clearly, this is twenty twelve, I had to make ends meet, and I was making anywhere from like sixteen to twenty dollars an hour. And you know, taxes will bust your ship. But there are options out here, There are options. I would also say, lean into your skills, girl. If you know how to braid hair, these braiders is charging so get you know what I mean, if you know how to if you're a man and you know how to how to do a haircut.
Speaker 5: Like I like what you said. That's it. You just amount us to doing haircuts. I mean in construction there you go. I like that construction TVs. Something something.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was gonna say, task rabbit, Yeah, something gotta get mounted always always.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I mean I listen. I feel for anyone currently without a job in.
Speaker 5: This marketplace time, this is a.
Speaker 2: No, no, no.
Speaker 4: First off, we've been in a recession, but an old ass just didn't want to say it. We've been here, we've been here, and so I can only wish you luck, wish you the best.
Speaker 2: Tap into your network.
Speaker 6: Tap into the high by the way, because I still be going on discord every once in a while, and they do have a channel for that.
Speaker 5: They have a channel channel for jobs and stuff like that.
Speaker 6: Okay, So I don't know if you're on the Discord, but going discord is one of your benefits as a Patreon number.
Speaker 5: But yeah, that's a.
Speaker 4: If you are a Patreon member, get on the Discord and go to the job section. You're right, the Hive really does be looking out. I mean, we've had someone reach out to us a couple of years ago.
Speaker 2: They were high.
Speaker 4: Up in content development and Netflix and was like, y'all looking at dude, So yeah, shout out to the Hive. I would say, yeah, I'm not sure. If you're a patron and if you're listening to this and you are a Patreon member and you're in the same type of position, yeah, get your butt over to the Discord channel and check out that job through.
Speaker 6: So I'm saying, go meet people, find the community, talk about it, make it work.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And I love at the end of the day because if I was twenty six, I would have told you, gir go get some of these niggas. But I'm gonna tell you the job market is drying up, is so is these niggles, Like they is not breaking bread, they is not tricking, They is not doing the things that.
Speaker 5: It is rough, bro, it is rough.
Speaker 4: But everybody like a shout out to the men they have.
Speaker 2: To see here and be providers in this economy.
Speaker 5: It is expistive. Do you have to be you know what I mean? Like I have no choice, It don't matter, like I ain't gonna hold you.
Speaker 4: Back in the day, it was nothing to ask a nigger to come up my little six hundred dollars rent, baby, would a bitch is rent is fucking twenty five?
Speaker 2: It becomes a little more difficult, Like I.
Speaker 4: Get it, I get it. It's crazy. These times are hard. The times are hard.
Speaker 5: Well, as y'all know.
Speaker 2: We normally leave comments.
Speaker 4: So if you're on the Patreon and you're watching this video, if you know of any temp agencies, if you know of any sites that are really up to date on what jobs and companies are hiring, please drop it in the comments below. If you are not able to watch this because you're only listening to us, make sure you go on over to the comments on our Instagram page. It's at Underscore Decisions Decisions and again this is another You've Got Decisions episode.
Speaker 2: Make sure you pre order No Holds Barred.
Speaker 4: Help us become new York Times Bestsellers and until next Wednesday up day, See you later,