Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J.
Speaker 2: Trump's leadership.
Speaker 1: I'm Christy nom the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fined nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported.
Speaker 2: You will never return.
Speaker 1: But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally.
Speaker 2: Do what's right. Leave now.
Speaker 1: Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 3: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security.
Speaker 4: Today, we have a very special story, very interesting story, and we're going to talk about the best sports deal ever made.
Speaker 5: Is that when you say the word interesting, that means it's about to get real. That's facts about to get real.
Speaker 4: So this this is the best sports deal ever made in history, the history of sports. Right. So in the nineteen seventies, there was a league called the.
Speaker 6: ABA American Basketball Association.
Speaker 4: Right. So there was an NBA, which everybody knows about the NBA, right, but then there was the ABA. So the best way I could really describe the ABA. If anybody's a football fan, remember the AFL.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so even not an XFL, right.
Speaker 4: But the AFL was pretty big at one point. They had herschel Walker up think yeah, yeah in the eighties. Yeah, so the AFL was a was a football league in the eighties and they was just wild, like they had the cheerleaders, just it was the whole vibe was just.
Speaker 6: Like, yeah, they wanted to be everything in the NFL.
Speaker 4: Wan, Yeah, it was just more renegade.
Speaker 5: You know, it would be better like WWF and w CW okay, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: That was for the kids. Similar. So the ABA was like the NBA at the time was kind of boring. It was like the Celtics, you know, just blue collar. You know, it's just kind of boring. For the ABA. They had the stripe basketball, they had the cheerleaders, they had the Duncan and they had good players too. They had great they had Doctor j. They had Moses Malone, David Thompson, David Thompson, so they had like George Gervin Iceman. So the ABA was just like flail like street ball. That's that's that's the that's the comparison. A BA was like the an one street Ball, like the Rucker stuff like that All.
Speaker 6: Star Game like that comes from the NBA.
Speaker 4: All the festivity, the All Star Game, all that dunk contest, a BA exactly. So ABA was they was they was for excitement, right, but financially they it just wasn't working out for them, right. So what happened is that there was seven teams in the A B A and the NBA wanted to merge, right because it was just didn't make sense to just kind of compete with them, and the ABA was kind of one of the last like financially, so the NB he went to them and they proposed the merger, right, So the merger, the ABA accepted the merger, and it was seven teams at the time, so four teams were brought into the NBA. Those four teams were the Nets, the Nuggets, the Pacers, and the Spurs, which are still in the NBA today, right, And then so that was three more teams left. So one team in Virginia. They they actually fizzled out and then they didn't get brought in because they just didn't make it right, they bellied up, So that that left two teams. Right. So you had Kentucky the team from Kentucky, Kentucky, I think Colonels. Kentucky Colonels.
Speaker 5: You crazy about them? The crazy thing about them is that they were owned by the owner of Kentucky Fried Chicken, Yes, which is crazy, John Brown.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So the NBA buys him out for three million dollars at the time nineteen seventy six. It like that's a lot of money. But this like that's a side business for me, Like I got Kentucky Fried Chicken.
Speaker 4: So he takes the deal and he also was the own he became the governor of Kentucky.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Governor of Kentucky.
Speaker 4: Two yeah sor right. So they had the Kentucky Colonels and the Saint Louis Squire.
Speaker 6: Spirits spirits, Saint Lewis Spirits.
Speaker 4: So they offer the Kentucky team and the Saint Louis team three million dollars as a buyout. Kentucky takes it, right, Saint Louis says, it's not so fast, not interested, not interested.
Speaker 5: Well, they said no because they had the vision. They were like, look, well, before.
Speaker 4: You go to that, before you go to that. So they said no, right, but they had good talent. Yeah, they had Moses Malone a few other players.
Speaker 5: Right, yeah, I think that was his rookie year in nineteen seventy six. He's the first man child.
Speaker 4: First, he's the first person to come from high school.
Speaker 6: He's the first professional.
Speaker 4: Right. So they rejected it, right, And the owners of the team they had it was two brothers, Ozzie and Dan and what's the last.
Speaker 6: Name, Silna Silna.
Speaker 4: And Dan Silna. So what they negotiated was a two million dollar buyout and a part of the four teams that were going into the NBA TV rights, So they got one seventh of the TV rights of those four teams that went to the NBA.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 4: So, at the time TV wasn't really big. It was like black and white, the things with the wire or stuff like that. The seventies barely, but nobody was making money. Nobody was making money on team yet yet, so they say, okay, one seventh of four teams TV rights. They were so eager to get the deal. The NBA just wanted to get the deal done, right, He said, give them two million and give them one seventh and let it, you know, let them go on their way.
Speaker 6: At that time, I think the biggest star in the NBA.
Speaker 5: You have Oscar Robertson, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, and doctor Jay is right there on that line was becoming superstar. Bill Russells probably is one of the big stars too, not the Russell, Bill Walton, Bill Warton.
Speaker 4: Okay, So all right, so now this is nineteen seventy six, seventy six, nineteen seventy six, so a few years past and the eighties come and Larry Bird and Magic Johnson coming to the league, right, Yeah, and the NBA changes fever right. And then a few years after Larry Bird and Magic Johnson coming to the league, is this.
Speaker 6: Guy Michael Jordan, Michael Jeffrey Jordan, And then.
Speaker 4: The league changes even more forever as.
Speaker 5: Far as yeah, obviously landscape and now TV.
Speaker 4: So now television television comes into play, right, and you have a network called ESPN, and now sports is just American television staple, right, everybody watching sports on TV now in the eighties, nineties. So now.
Speaker 5: This episode is brought to you by PNC Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work a boring, and sure they definitely can be, but understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to safe plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member FDIC. Erness What's Up? You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like the checkout is fast, the receipts are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds. Odds are they're using Square? We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners. Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward.
Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from El Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J.
Speaker 2: Trump's leadership. I'm Christy Noman, the.
Speaker 1: United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fine nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned and.
Speaker 2: Deported, you will never return.
Speaker 1: But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally.
Speaker 2: Do what's right. Leave now.
Speaker 1: Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 3: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security.
Speaker 4: What happened as nobody would have watched sports on TV. Let's just give these guys one seventh. They ended up as the league grule to the league v to thirty teens. Right, So their TV revenue those the two brothers equal two percent of the total TV revenue for the NBA. Right, So every year they got two percent of TV revenue in perpetuity. That was the best part of the deal. It was in purpetuity. It's no end dates forever.
Speaker 6: So you want to just tell them what perpetuities some people don't even know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, perpetuity means forever, continuous. That's the easy answer, continuous. So so now they have two percent of all NBA TV revenue forever. Right, So this thing is one of the most embarrassing things that the NBA has ever dealt with, right, because they end up paying these guys three hundred million dollars right from they started from from nineteen seventy six to twenty fourteen.
Speaker 5: The crazy part is that from seventy six to seventy nine they didn't make a dollar, but from eighty to ninety seven or eighty to like two thousands to two thousand, three hundred million, three.
Speaker 4: Hundred million, twenty fourteen eight it was three hundred million, right. So finally in fourteen, the NBA they're going to reap on the TV deal.
Speaker 5: Right, right, So like they're about to They had a few TV deals prior. They had one with NBC and then they had one with ESPN, and right, like you said, sports were build over there, Like that's a twenty four to seven sports network, so you could imagine like people are going to be consuming sports at all time. I But in twenty fourteen they re up with Turn of Sports and ESPN a nine year deal for twenty four billion dollars.
Speaker 4: Right, So right, Before they do that, they say, Okay, we have to get away from this deal because we've been bleeding money for thirty years and it's only going to get worse as we continue to grow. And now they see that, Okay, the TV deals is going to keep getting bigger and bigger, right, and we're not going to keep paying these guys two percent forever, right, So we got to get away from this. So they agree on a deal in twenty fourteen for a lump sum buy out of five hundred million dollars. Right. So now you added three hundred million that they got up into two for that number. Up, you add the five hundred million, eight hundred million dollars. They got eight hundred million dollars on a three million dollar deal. Yeah, three million dollar buyout originally that they turned down. They ended up getting eight hundred million.
Speaker 6: The NBA didn't even have to have this problem. They didn't even have to.
Speaker 5: Like they wanted to buy teams, they wanted to buy Detroit in the late seventies. They wanted to buy the Jersey Nets at that time in the nineties, they would have had been owners. In two thousand and two. Out of twenty ten they had accumulated almost three hundred million. They were worth more than the Indiana Pacers were.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 4: But the best part about the story is that, so they make eight hundred million dollars from the NBA without any overhead, no a team that nobody's heard of, a phantom team that nobody's.
Speaker 6: Heard off straightfit, no.
Speaker 4: No players, no roster, no overhead, no building, nothing. They literally made almost a billion dollars just cause yeah forever. So that people say, Okay, well why did they take the buyout? They could have just kept this going forever. Right, So the guy, one of the guys died rest in peace a couple of years ago, so I think, you know, he probably gets to a point where it's like, Okay, I'm about to die soon, so I might just get five hundred million up front. Yeah, you know right. And then also it was a headache for them because they hired lawyers. They kept going back and forth because they felt like the NBA was kind of cheating them with the numbers and it wasn't correct. So they that was kind of and then their name was always associated with that. They didn't really want to be associated with that forever. I went, yeah, it's not a bad thing. They kind of wanted to just get it over with. Uh, but in life ups and downs. Right, So they make almost eight hundred million dollars doing nothing, but then they lose a substantial amount of money.
Speaker 5: Yeah, from connect with this, the notorious notorious one Bernie made.
Speaker 4: Of Bernie Madoff. Bernie Madoff. So Bernie Madoff burns him pretty bad. Yeah, man, Bernie Madoff Berson pretty bad. And they lose a lot of money with Bernie made Off.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they said, thank god they didn't lose it at all, because they would. They had the firstified their portfolio, which is good, but they did lose a substantial amount with Bernie.
Speaker 4: They lost a lot.
Speaker 6: He's doing fifty years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's doing a lot. He's doing a lot of time. Bernie Madeo plays a part in METS as well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the will Palm family lost a lot of money.
Speaker 4: We'll talk about some we'll talk about that sometimes. But so yeah, so by day they won. Even though they lost a lot of money with Bernie made Off, they still won. And the grand scheme of things, and it's a good story. And how we bring it back to the everyday person is that we always talk about equity, right, and the power of equity and the power of the layed gratification not taking everything up front. So they still got two million dollars up front. But that TV deal that they struck was brilliant, right and met in the almost a billion dollars. So the guy from KFC, I mean, he's filthy rich. I'm sure you know. It's not the end of the world. But he has to be kicking himself or his family. I mean, you took three million dollars and the other guys.
Speaker 6: About the owners of the Virginia Squires, they left before they could even get the three million, the two million dollar offer to be bought out.
Speaker 4: Man, they weren't ollers.
Speaker 6: No, the Virginia's wives, Oh Virginia Squires folded before they can get it.
Speaker 4: They folded. They wasn't their fault. They folded well.
Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J.
Speaker 2: Trump's leadership. I'm Christy Noman, the.
Speaker 1: United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens.
Speaker 2: Have been arrested.
Speaker 1: If you are here illegally, your next you will be fined nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported.
Speaker 2: You will never return.
Speaker 1: But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally.
Speaker 2: Do what's right. Leave now.
Speaker 1: Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 3: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security,