Speaker 1: Welcome back to I Do Part two.
Speaker 2: It's Kelly ben Simone, one of your celebrity mentors here on the pod. On the podcast, I've been having a blast getting to know my fellow mentors and getting to know everyone's personal journeys to finding love. Today, I wanted to bring in one half of our favorite deo on this show, Louise from Thelma Louise, to talk about dating in the new year.
Speaker 3: Hi Louise, Hi Kelly, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I'm so excited to talk to you. How's everything.
Speaker 3: Everything is good? I mean, it's the new year, so just waiting for all those you know, uniforms and rainbows to drop out of the sky. Right, it's a fresh late.
Speaker 2: So let's get into it. So we're going to talk about our love journey. We both have really interesting love durings. Actually, let's start with yours. Tell me a little bit about who you are and how you fell in and out of love.
Speaker 3: Sure, I am. I live in Los Angeles and I was hit by a lightning bolt. When I met my husband, I knew I was going to marry him. I called my mom up and I said I met my husband, and she goes you're crazy to go to sleep, You've had too much to drink. That was the height of sex in the city. So I had those you know whatever, apple martinis. But I will tell you every time I've ended up dating somebody long term, there's always been some sort of a weird twist. So now I know, if I meet somebody and there's no like twist or weirdness or something, it's not my guy. We're married to fourteen years. He has a fabulous moral compass. I think ultimately we were probably better office friends because we're both killers quite frankly, dad fabulous co parent, and we do a lot together as a family, and I get the best parts of him and none of the bad parts. So it's like I feel like I'm winning.
Speaker 1: Do you guys travel together? Yes?
Speaker 3: And with his fiance, I mean we travel. Yes, it's like you're away with that. Yes, it's the greatest situation in the world. He's with all the kids and she and I are having cocktails, laughing all day long. We do holidays like it's amazing. Seriously, my youngest kids. When my youngest kid left for college, he said to me, Mom, I just want to tell you something I like. I don't have any baggage, emotional baggage. I go white. Is you guys did divorce? Amazing?
Speaker 1: I love that? Oh, I love that? What about you? So?
Speaker 2: I was married very young to a photographer and I have two gorgeous girls. We got divorced when my girls were young. I just he wasn't the right for the right job, and I just was having like so much anxiety. After I had both of my kids, I had really bad postpartum with my first daughter, and I just genuinely realized that, you know, he was fun. You know, as a artist and creative, he's incredible, but as a nurturer and provider and partner.
Speaker 1: He wasn't.
Speaker 2: And I just was having so much anxiety. And I just got pregnant again. And then the minute I got pregnant again, I was like, we're done. I just couldn't do it. I just couldn't handle it. And my interestingly enough, my post pardon was really bad with my first but then for my second, I had no part partum and I was like, Okay, the baby's out. I had these two good, beautiful, gourg girls. It's time for me to go into my new life. I don't know how this is gonna work, but I'm gonna try.
Speaker 3: Didn't you kind of look at it like you're unknown was going to be better than your known?
Speaker 2: That's really well said. I had so much fear, and I think that you know, I had great parents, and they were so super supportive of me being happy, but very very concerned about being me, being single and providing for two kids.
Speaker 1: And I just felt like.
Speaker 2: The unknown was just fueled and filled with possibility, and the past was just something that I didn't even want to remember, not in it. Not that he's a bad person, but it's just like, that's just not what I want. I wanted to I just wanted a family for my family. That's all what I've always said for a thousand years. Just all I want is a family for my family.
Speaker 3: And do you feel like when you're looking to date, are you looking to create like a Brady Bunch situation, to recreate the family that a thousand and it blew?
Speaker 1: Yeah, thousand percent.
Speaker 2: Like I'm always looking at so people would be like, why you did someone that doesn't have kids, I'm like, why, Like I wouldn't want to do that.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't mind, I wouldn't mind, but.
Speaker 2: It would be difficult to date someone that doesn't have children because they I wouldn't be able to talk to them about things that have to.
Speaker 1: Do with raising children.
Speaker 2: They'd be like what they would be like, you know, and it wouldn't be It would be a disservice to them, be a disservice to them.
Speaker 1: Because they weren't a part of that. So those memories they weren't a part of.
Speaker 3: I also think it's a different life experience because a few people I've dated that didn't have children, because I've kind of arrived at the same place as you, I just think they're I don't want to say the word selfish, but it's like you're not. It's not selfless, right like when you're a parent, what you know, everything goes to them first, like I'm last, Like I would give them my last dollar to eat. And I think for me, you know, I had a significant relationship with somebody who had quite frankly, never been married, never had kids, and it was just we just kind of spoke a different a different language. I think I have the opposite, like you're looking to create great bunch. I have a hard time merging like the people I've dated that have kids. I have a hard time merging my children with other kids and creating that like the idea of going on a trip all of us or like it's few and far between, Like I'm way more coupled keeping it separate.
Speaker 2: Isn't that because you have such like a good thing going that your family, You're like you have like an extended family, now, do you know what I mean? Like, because it's so comfortable, do you feel like that you would be like, wait, it's not going to be as good.
Speaker 3: As this, No, because I think that's only only in the last few years. I think it was more when I got divorce. My kids were young, and you know, when I had them, I was like all in on them. And then I looked at it like I had some key percent of the time to just do me and do that that I got so compartmentalized that it was like two It was like almost like a jecko on a high right, like I just couldn't never And then, you know, only one time in the last few years did I even do a couple of those meals with somebody I dated for close to two years, but I just wasn't it wasn't comfortable for me. Now it could have been a function. In my heart, I knew it wasn't the right relationships. I wasn't going to poison the well with my kids and you know, for lack of a better word, blow my wad with them and say this was the situation. I think what I've learned now after that, have now since learned that they didn't like him, that unless I think I'm going to marry this person and go to the distance, like, I don't really want to force that on them. I guess I don't know.
Speaker 2: So right, your kids are older, so are my kids, so like what do you how do you feel about so? For me, like I was a full time single parent, there was no fifty to fifty. There were no Wednesdays, there were no over the every other weekends, there was no there was no like time for me to create a life. It was just with my kids twenty four to seven. And I would never train to that. I'm so grateful for that.
Speaker 3: But they also know they can rely on you.
Speaker 2: I mean you're their foundation, right right, Yes, thank you for that and I appreciate that. You know, it was very stressful to raise two girls alone and I was around a lot of people, and so I never if there was someone that I that I liked, I would never I wouldn't think, Like I was having a super Bowl party, like I would my kids be there, I would invite them.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't think twice because I.
Speaker 2: Kind of wanted to see how that person navigated my friends and everything. My kids weren't like, oh, I was the same boyfriend, Like, they never even knew if I had if I was dating.
Speaker 1: Someone or not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I was around so many people all the time.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think I was nervous. I was scared of their reaction. I was scared that they the first that the person I would finally introduce them to, they wouldn't like when I think, what I've realized is they just want me to be happy. They want the person to be a nice person, treat me well, be respectful, you know, keep me safe. But I didn't know. I didn't know that then, right, So I just kind of shouldered it all on my own and all that. But it's hard. I mean every day, I mean they're home, they're going back to school next week, and they're like, Mom, are you dating on anyone? What's going on?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: And then this was the big one they came at me with today Mom. According to all the articles, today is the super Bowl for dating apps. This is the biggest day of the year that people sign up for dating apps. It's their New Year's resolution. What's the plan? Should we work on your profile? And I was like, it was horrified. I'm terrified to do a dating app. I don't do that. Do you do dating apps? Have you done dating apps?
Speaker 1: Have? I was on ria from the very beginning.
Speaker 2: I mean I've been single for a long time and so I was on riah and I never really met anyone that I was like amazing. But my ex fiance I met him because my assistant created an account for me and that's how I met him.
Speaker 3: So Thelma to my Louise, yeah, I I am her Sarah O de Bergerac and I have been I was like, you need to do this, and she went and so I was like, I'm doing it for you. So I have done some of her online dating, just for like the last two months. We put it on pause because it was just but the minute I give her phone number out, I call her up and be like, yo, you're going to be getting a call from the skylight. I'm out now. Take take it over. Let us know how we do on our date. So it's been actually a fun it's been a fun adventure. But I don't know. My kids are pretty invested in it. Now are yours? Are you dating anyone right now?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: You have? I heard your podcast tennis guy? Yes, how's that going?
Speaker 2: So we're twenty twenty five, Louise, and there's there's so much Okay, so we're talking about dating apps. Today's a super bowl of dating apps?
Speaker 1: Wild But what do I want to know? What you want? What you're leaving behind? And then I'll then I'll tell you.
Speaker 3: God, when am I leaving behind so much? I think I think I need to leave behind. And I think I need to be I don't know, like, I think I need to be a little bit easier on myself. I think I need to toe the line better between looking for the butterfly, which is probably just the mirror of a childhood wound, and really focus on a really good, thoughtful human being, companion, nice person, because I think our needs are different in our fifties as than when we were twenties, thirties, forties, and I really need to do that. I think I need to look I need to stay more even across the board. I need to find a little more gray, less black and white. And I think that that is a theme that just carries over in all kinds of areas of my life.
Speaker 2: It's interesting because I think a lot of people are talking about this gray area, and for me, I feel like I have been so black and white with like work and laser focused and you know what I want, what I'm going to do and how I'm going to do it, and how I'm going to make money and doing this and doing that. And one of my other co hosts who I love, Cheryl, like we always talk about like how busy we are and how great we are being busy, because like being busy is just kind of like taking away like the hurt, feel the feelings, the feelings of like what we're how we are feeling, not just how we're feeling about other things, but how we are internalizing everything.
Speaker 1: And so I really just want to like be.
Speaker 2: More confident and working with Amy and Heather and Cheryl and you know, Janna and everybody I've been so I have switched. I have become literally and I know this is strange, I have literally become a different person tell me, I just am so different. I'm just so more relaxed. I listen to people a lot more. I'm not like so eager to get my point across. I kind of want to hear what they're doing and you know, what tools they have in their tool belt, versus like hearing about mine all the time. I think that just too Like outside of like my relationships, I just had such PTSD from being on Housewives, and I was always trying to tell people like this is who i am. I'm great, I'm this, I'm really a nice person. I'm I'm filanthropic, I'm kind, I'm a good mother. And I was constantly telling people. And so this year is my year of just kind of listening and sitting back and just being more open to what other people are doing. I mean, I you know, like even like with you, like I want to know, like, you know, are you gonna mean a guy I celebrity on Riyah?
Speaker 1: Like are you going to go on Riya?
Speaker 2: Like what are your I want to know what people are doing and how they're doing it, versus me always telling people.
Speaker 3: So it seems like you have more confidence and sense of self. Maybe that's what all this has come from because I've part of got That's what I think we all need to work on. That's my point of bringing it up is I think we all need to just get comfortable with our own you know selves kind of words and all right, like being authentic and vulnerable and all of that stuff. And I think that that's you know, I I think I do a good job of putting a confident face on every day, but I think on the inside, like I can feel pretty small. Sometimes I can question myself and feel pretty lonely and sad and like how did I end up this way? And then I'll be like no, like look what I've I have to like have self talk, like look what I've accomplished. Like, But I think for me, you know, I don't know like I think i've I'm I'm a little I guess I'm disappointed that I haven't found my person in the nine years. I mean, I think you and I've been divorced around the same amount of time and but a lot of different experiences and dating and stuff. But I just I don't know, Like I I think I have a fear that I'm going to just end up alone, which I don't want that.
Speaker 2: I you know what, It's interesting that I had that fear for a long time and for some reason, and I don't know why.
Speaker 1: I just don't feel like that anymore. I feel like I am such I feel like.
Speaker 2: Such a different person and the way that people are responding to me is so different. And I I'm just I'm just open to all possibilities. I just I don't want to I don't want to, like say like, I don't want to put out that I'm afraid. I don't want to put out that. I you know, I don't want.
Speaker 1: To put on anything that's negative. I've put out that.
Speaker 2: I've just constantly put out negativity. And I just want to say, I'm just saying no. You know, I was saying no for so long and now I'm just saying yes, and I'm being more open. And I know that sounds like so simple.
Speaker 3: Well I say, I think they say like, you just have to you know, we have to raise our vibration and admit positive vibration and it comes back to us, right like, so if you smile at somebody or whatever, it's just like you're giving off a different energy.
Speaker 2: We's so interesting what you said, because I'm a smiler so I'll walk down the street and I'll be like, I'm a smiler.
Speaker 1: I just am a smiley person. I don't know like why.
Speaker 2: I mean, I live in New York and people are not smiling, so I'm always like smiling. People look at me like what's wrong with her? And it's interesting because just because I smile doesn't mean like I'm not in like a lot of pain.
Speaker 3: But I was thinking about that in yoga today. It was so funny because I was like, I was kind of feeling blah, to be totally honest with you, and I was looking in the room and I was like, I think people would look at me and my down dog and think like, probably I'm fine, right, you don't know person just when you kind of look at them from a distance. And I was like, how many people in this room feeling kind of straight today? Right? Like I don't know it. It was just an interesting thing that you're saying that like this, you know, like the smile on the exterior is masking the interior and you hear of all these bad things that are happening lately, and you're like, oh, like we don't really know what's going on behind somebody's face. Or behind closed doors. How do you deal with projection?
Speaker 2: So hold on, wait, that's that's interesting. I'll answer the rejection things. But that's interesting that you say that because I was dinner with a friend of mine who's a man, and he and I said to him, I'm like, why are these women like do they look at me with like such a weird look all the time? And how come they're like not nice to me? And he goes, because you're always smiling, And I'm like, what do you mean? He goes, You just make things look.
Speaker 1: So easy, And I'm like, wait.
Speaker 2: A minute, I didn't have this, like you know, all this money, I didn't you know. I made my own money. I've created my possibilities for myself. No one gave me anything. And here a lot of these women have a lot of money from their exes. And I was like, so hold on, let me get this straight, because I'm not like, because I'm not.
Speaker 3: Wearing my war worms now, they're just jealous. So they have their own stuff going on. Kelly, Like, I think somebody who's smiling is so engaging and they're so like it just attracts people. It's like your aura is warm, Like the second I got on with you. It was like literally like bees to honey. It was like just so easy to connect and talk to you, like so easy, Like certain people make you feel comfortable that you can chat or you can you know my barometers of I can sit in silence with somebody and be comfortable and not have to fill the air with conversation. And I think you actually give off a really warm, very real energy. I don't agree with him, your friend. Maybe he's in love with you and he doesn't want you to smile and attract people.
Speaker 1: All right, let's talk about dating. What are you gonna do?
Speaker 2: Okay, so are you gonna go on a dating app? Or are you just gonna like hide behind your friends dating?
Speaker 3: Well, so I'm lucky in that, Wylloy No, but I'm lucky in that. You know, I wouldn't want my circle to have been divorced and experienced out, but I would say I have a lot of best friends who are divorced also. So we have like this like kind of girl posse, which is fun. We do our girl trips, we do you know, our dinners, like we have like a crew. The hard thing is is in la I don't know how it is in New York. It's like you don't really meet people when you're out right, we sit at a girl table. No guy's approaching a table of five girls. It just doesn't happen, right, I mean it just I mean your best case scenario is to go to like, you know, Bald Hare after a golf tournament and hope for the best you know, in the bar area. It's like the red onion for this generation.
Speaker 2: Oh, I got so Louise, I have to tell you this a flirting tip that Countess Lwan gave me. So Basically, when you're at a table with a with a group of women having a great time, one of your the nice that you go out what you do is that you can either drop an hapkin or you can she said send a drink over. I would right, But you can send a drink over to somebody, or you can write them a note.
Speaker 1: Hi, Can I borrow your pen for a second? And right? Show? What can you do?
Speaker 3: Aloha? That's your word? But can you do that? Like, I'm so scared of rejection, Like I got to get a thicker skin with that.
Speaker 2: If I were with you and I saw the guy that you liked, I'd be like let's get that piece of peeling.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't do it on my own.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't like, I wouldn't like sit there and be like I'm gonna drop a bit.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna drop an upt But Luanne does that. She does that.
Speaker 3: I could wing women for you.
Speaker 1: No, No, she's gotting serious, serious game. She's like, what are you doing?
Speaker 2: She's like, if I had your she said to me, and she goes, if I had your body, I'd be having sex every day.
Speaker 1: I'm like, what you are?
Speaker 3: Okay? So we need to challenge ourselves. So you're asking about January. We need to have an accountability chart and do those things. I mean we really, that's really what we need to do. Like I know people that will go sit at a restaurant and a bar by themselves. They meet a million of people.
Speaker 2: Oh you, So what you do is you use the waiter to send the note to the guy.
Speaker 1: So you say, goog, come.
Speaker 2: Over here, and then you're like, I wrote this little note, dear smoke show.
Speaker 1: How are you?
Speaker 3: But what if they reject you? How do you handle rejection?
Speaker 2: I mean, imagine if you sent a note over or like, ask the guy if he wanted to glass, you know, if you want a glass of wine and he's like married, Oh my well, by the way, I guess they just rejected waiters.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter who cares.
Speaker 3: But like, oh my god, is it easy to meet people? Like is it easy to meet people in New York?
Speaker 1: Out?
Speaker 3: When you go out with your friend?
Speaker 1: Whoa in New York? Are you kidding me? You're sitting at places and people aren't even people like people like look through you.
Speaker 3: I'm like, hello, oh my god, I was just on a girls trip in New York. It was so I feel like there's a million more guys in you York. You probably feel that way about La.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that's the thing.
Speaker 2: I think it's like because me, I like go into these restaurants and I'm like, okay, I'm here all the time. People are not looking at me, and maybe and that's you know, it's like you were saying before about maybe that's a good tip, is that when you do go into a place that you typically go to, you know kind of like throw your shoulders back and be like it's the new girl in town, versus like, oh, I come here all the time, do you know what I mean? So that you give off that new energy like you're taught. You're always talking about like having you know, switching your energy, and maybe that's what you do. Maybe you're just like, no, I'm not gonna be like the everyday girl. I'm gonna be like the new girl. Okay, let's you just challenge each other to do something new with dating.
Speaker 1: So let's come up with the challenge. What yours? Well?
Speaker 3: I think I'm gonna have to take a play out of your friend's playbook and drop the nap and with the notes we can combine the accent.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Louise, I want you to try. So we're gonna we're challenging each other. Okay, I love, this is the game.
Speaker 1: I'm challenging you to do something and you're challenging me to do something in the dating world. So I'm gonna we're gonna.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna take the tip out of Countess Luance playbook and I want.
Speaker 1: You to tomorrow and.
Speaker 2: This week wherever you go, even if it's during the day, Like it doesn't have to be at night. It could be like at your coffee place or after yoga, and like maybe give it to like the coffee guy and be like, hey, this guy's really hot.
Speaker 1: Can you give no, write.
Speaker 2: The note before, write the note in one of your cards, not your business cards, but like a card, or.
Speaker 3: Bring it in my clutch and just.
Speaker 2: Have and if you see a hot guy, give it to whomever, the wait or whatever.
Speaker 1: Have it prepared, and like I should.
Speaker 3: Just give it to any guy and really emersion therapy and really challenge myself. Right, okay, so not you.
Speaker 1: You can't do it to give it to a waiter.
Speaker 3: Or I know, but I'll have it already.
Speaker 1: Okay, have it ready though, have it ready?
Speaker 3: Have to here's your challenge.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: You need to go to a place in New York you don't ever go to, and you need to sit at the bar by yourself, and you need to have a conversation with a man.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, well hold on.
Speaker 2: So it was last week or the week before, which is something I would literally and I'm not I don't really like the word never, but I'm telling you never do I sit at a barber myself.
Speaker 1: I will stand and wait.
Speaker 2: On my phone in the corner, pretending I'm talking to whomever like outside, versus sitting at a barber myself. Like it's like I'm like, oh my god, I just would like this. I'll freak out.
Speaker 1: And I went to I was supposed to.
Speaker 2: Honest, I was seeing this guy in New York and I was away in LA and I came back from jingle Ball and we were supposed to like walk around and do all this Christmas shopping and stuff, and he was like busy sleeping.
Speaker 1: So I was like, you know what, if you're sleeping, I'm just gonna go.
Speaker 2: My daughters were doing their thing, and I just went to Saint Ambrose and I sat at the bar and I was chatting with all these different people and I was like, loving life.
Speaker 3: You know what if somebody told me really good advice, well was.
Speaker 1: I didn't talk to a man. I was talking to like everybody, but not to a man specifically.
Speaker 3: So I don't know where I heard this. It could have been you, but it was a good idea. So if you're about to go to like, let's say you've a friend's birthday dinner and it's at seven o'clock, you should go to the restaurant early, at like six point thirty, and then you should whatever the challenge is, force yourself to sit at the bar talk to a guy, drop, give a nap into a wait or whatever. And then if it's like a crash and burn, you already know that it was a thirty minute you know, kind of quick X window and then you sit at your girl's dinner. Anyways, that's the move.
Speaker 2: That's that is the move, because you have something to do. You're not just sitting there waiting around and like that.
Speaker 3: And then you don't feel like a total loser, right right.
Speaker 1: And then you don't go home and you're like, wow, but.
Speaker 3: Kelly, I heard you're being set up from your lovely producers and I love to be set up. It is my favorite thing. So how is mister tennant? And what is going on? You know, you guys heard the podcast. You had the first phone call. So where are we at? Are you excited?
Speaker 1: I am so excited.
Speaker 2: So he's coming this Thursday where he's going to work, and then we're gonna spend the weekend doing fun stuff in New York.
Speaker 3: You're going to spend the whole Is he staying in a hotel?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Of course and then in Manhattan. Okay, and do you guys have like okay, can I ask a logistical question?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Are you making all the reservations because it's your town or is it on him to be the trigger puller?
Speaker 2: So that's a really good question. He was kind of like asking me things like what do you like to do? And He's like, one thing that I really want to do is I want to go and have a bourbon at like a really vibey place in New York, like a cool like a library bar.
Speaker 1: I'm like, that's cool, that's cool. That's very cool. I was like, I'm like, I don't drink bourbon, so I'm like I will be.
Speaker 2: But I thought that was really cool and I love that kind of like just vibe.
Speaker 1: Just sounded like very warm and fun and.
Speaker 3: Like still like in the winter and cozy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, winter cozy exactly. So I love that.
Speaker 2: And then he was like telling me stuff and asked he like send me sending me places and he liked. And then I my daughter was actually she was she was sitting at the table and she was like, Mom, what is what's going on? I was like, Oh, like, I'm going out with this guy named mister Tennis this week and he's giving me places to go. Oh my god, Mom, First of all, you have to go to Okay, then you have to go to Temple Bar then you have to do this.
Speaker 1: And I was like, okay, oh my god, that is the funny. I was all right. I was like I need a place for b and she's like, I got it.
Speaker 3: Just go on TikTok. I know we can find everything on.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: It's interesting though for him, so you kind of have to feel bad, right, It's like he's nervous, like he wants to you know, he's coming to your area, but yet he wants to be a man and come up with good so good suggestion. It's like an interesting thing and he doesn't. Like there's something worse than when you're going out with somebody and they like pick a place and you're like okay, like you know what I'm saying, Like.
Speaker 2: I love yeah, but you know I also like to your point, like am I picking stuff? So I was like, I'm not gonna pick places for him because let him have fun.
Speaker 1: With that, do you know what I mean? Like he's from he's not.
Speaker 2: He traveled, he comes here a lot, so like let him like have fun with that. But I was like the one thing that I really wanted him to do, and I said, would I think you should play tennis while you're here, Like you're gonna be here for three days. One day you're working and then two days you're hanging out with me. But like, I really want you to play tennis because it's something that you love to do and I want to watch you.
Speaker 1: And so Vanderbilt at in uh in uh it's.
Speaker 2: Called Vanderbilt and it's this private it's not a private, it's just a small, one course tennis tennis court.
Speaker 1: It's one tennis court. It's in Vanderbilt, it's in.
Speaker 2: It's on forty second Street, and it's so bougie and so cool and so unique. And I was like, that would be so fun for him and I could be his I could like hit balls to him.
Speaker 3: But it will make him so you'll like actually love watching him because if he's like super hot on the tennis court, you'll get like totally even more into him.
Speaker 1: Right, I just want him to do something that makes him feel good.
Speaker 2: I mean, I really appreciate the fact that he's coming, but I also want to do something for him that shows that I, you know.
Speaker 1: I'm interested in him and I want him to be happy too.
Speaker 3: So question for you, it's good?
Speaker 1: Is that weird? No?
Speaker 3: I think it's really awesome. But let's assume it's going to be like amazing and you're gonna be But what happens if on day day two of his three day trip you're like just not that into it? What do you do?
Speaker 1: We talk a lot, we talk at the.
Speaker 3: Phone, so you already have a connection, you feel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we talk and we get along so well, like we just get along really really well.
Speaker 3: That's amazing. I mean, setups truly are the best because a you have a little intel of somebody, you're already like kind of connecting. It's like a hometown pro so it feels safe and I don't know, a little more familiar. So it sounds like you guys are building a bit of a foundation already. So when you see him, it's just going to be like like probably you'll give him a kiss hello, not like a just like a perfunctory like hug or something.
Speaker 2: Wait.
Speaker 1: But you know what, also, it is he's a plu. So plu is people like you, people I like that. I don't know that.
Speaker 3: I've never heard that.
Speaker 2: So a PLU could be a lot of different things, but for me, a PLU is like people that are like me, that are interested, curious, you know, good parents, good friends. Like you said, strong moral compass. You know that is a that's a PLU. I mean you can meet a lot of people that.
Speaker 1: Are not Kelly.
Speaker 3: You should start a dating app called PLU. Unless you're a PLU, you cannot be a part of this dating app. We got to limit this pool better, right.
Speaker 2: Right, Everyone wants to make it bigger. I'm like, no, no, no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 1: If you're not appealing you no, you know what.
Speaker 3: I think divorce attorneys as a side gig should start matchmaking thousand. I think you guys, I'm excited to hear about it on your I guess that podcast which we'll talk about like the kind of post mortem of this weekend. What if this is? What if this happened? I mean, wouldn't this be amazing?
Speaker 1: I have a good.
Speaker 3: Feeling he's I have a good feeling. He sounds like he's a good human being, he's passionate. What happens you created a connection, You've been talking to guy's flying, you know, three thousand miles to see when you see him, like, do you just give him a little handtake or do you give him like a kiss?
Speaker 1: Hello?
Speaker 3: Like what's the kind of what do you think is going to happen when you see him?
Speaker 1: I think I don't know. I'm not going to kiss him and be like, you know, I probably will, like.
Speaker 3: You're not going to row your tongue down his throat like a kiss on the kiss on the cheek. Are you going to see each other at first in the daytime or the nighttime?
Speaker 1: I think it's gonna be the night time because he has to be at work.
Speaker 3: So I think it's a liquid courage will be coming soon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I'll probably just like hug him because I just I don't know. I'm like just I like just I like think he's so great. I think he's so great that when I texted the other guys, I'm like, I'm boring.
Speaker 3: Are you wow this? I am really crossing my fingers for you? And you know, there's a concept called do you know this concept of driftwood? Do you know who Gabby Bernstein is?
Speaker 1: You asked me this before and I did not do not to.
Speaker 3: This is my favorite concept and I'm gonna look at this. Your situation is my driftwood. Okay, concept of driftwood. You are being set up with somebody you're excited. It's good, you're talking. He's flying in and I'm sitting here and I'm looking at it like, oh, it's about to happen for me too. Instead of looking at it like why isn't it happening for me, I'm looking at it like I'm next. Yes, I mean probably know, Kelly, you might have somebody for.
Speaker 1: Me, exactly.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the whole point about like, you know, friends setting up friends, and yes, okay, you know people are like, oh, you can go on these dating apps and all this stuff, and like there's this big pool of people. But you know, I think it's really really important to set people up. And like we were saying, like recycle, recycle, and you said, like we said, you you went out with him, you went on a date with him, and I was asking, I was asking, like, what what are your what were your thoughts?
Speaker 3: It's important to recycle men because one woman's trash could be another woman's treasure.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you went on a date with mister Tennant.
Speaker 3: Yes I did.
Speaker 1: She's not trash, he's a treasure.
Speaker 3: He's not.
Speaker 2: But I'm just kidding, no, no, I'm just we're just because like before that, it was like trash and tree.
Speaker 1: I'm like, no, no, no, he's a really instellar human.
Speaker 3: I'm going to tell you first of all, I want you to know one thing and when you sit down. It was so many it was five years ago, but let me take one thing. He has the best style. His style was beautiful. We went to dinner. He was wearing this gorgeous cashmeir like kind of shawl like cardigan. He smelled really good. He's got a great body, obviously in tennis stead. He is a great dad. To be honest with you, what happened was when we got set up, I had just gotten out of a relationship and I was a little sad, and I think that was that's kind of hard to switch gears, and it was particularly hard for me and he. This is five six years ago. He had little kids in car seats and I don't know how old his kids are now. But wasn't I wasn't looking for that. I just think the timing was off. But he's and he's very close to his family, and so I think that great dad, close to his family, cute, warm, friendly, amaze his style. I want you to report back to me on it, because he had probably one of the better senses of style of any guy I'd ever gone out.
Speaker 2: I love that because I like, I worked at fash for so long.
Speaker 3: No, I know you're going to appreciate it.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: Actually, that makes me very very happy because there's so many guys that I literally that sounds awful, so many guys. But the guys in the past that I've dated, I definitely have to have given them a little amp up.
Speaker 3: And that's easy, and then that's so easy to do.
Speaker 2: It is, but it's also kind of like makes me like I feel badly that.
Speaker 1: I'm like, can you put that jacket on? And like, what should I wear? I'm like, can you wear that jacket with that shirt I have? I know it to wear. I'm like, please wear the shirt. Then what are you looking for? What are you looking for?
Speaker 3: Okay? I am looking for.
Speaker 1: Cause if I'm going to set you up, like I need to know, I love that. Okay.
Speaker 3: Most importantly, I'm looking for what I call my park bench, the person who makes me feel safe and the person who I can sit next to talking a mile a minute or quiet with a three dollars coffee in my hand, looking at the birds. Happy is to be that there's nowhere else they want to be. They need to be funny. I have to laugh. I'm funny. I'm super self deprecating. They need to be kind. They cannot have cheated on their wives. That to me is a total deal breaker. Confident, sophisticated, intelligent, fabulous father close to his family, talks politely about his ex wife.
Speaker 1: You're like a unicorn. Do you have one? Let me pull it out them.
Speaker 3: Let me taste. I was just in Sun Valley and I walked into that. I always asked for signs from the universe, and I said, Universe, show me a unicorn. That twenty twenty five is going to be amazing. And I walked into this vintage store and there was this big grass unicorn and it was for sale and I was like, oh my god. So I bought it. It should be ribing any day this week. It's going to go right on monnight table. But yes, I am looking for a unicorn.
Speaker 2: I started doing that everyone since I first met I like write down in my notes.
Speaker 1: I do like I'll ask for something.
Speaker 3: And I'll ask could I teach you about this?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: You told me that, Yeah, And I've done it and it's it's true, It's true.
Speaker 3: It's true. My friends and you have to come up with the most obscure signs. And my friend was like, show me a mini mouse that my ex she's going through divorce, my ex husband is thinking about me. And everywhere she turned out of the blue, like a friend of ours is sending a picture of her kids and the kid was in mini mouse sweatpants. And my friend was like, oh my god. And the more you do it, the more in tune you are with the universe. It's like, actually really fun. It's like a fun game.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 3: You don't feel like you're alone, which is cool.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, so you want a unicorn perfect park bench.
Speaker 3: I want nice, honest, funny, confident. You know, I need somebody. I don't need to be with somebody. I want to be with the right person.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: So it's like, I don't need somebody to pay my bills. I don't need somebody to pay my kids bills. I don't need somebody to fill my dance card. I have you know, I have friends, I have family here. I love to stay home and read a book like it really, you know, it's it's got to be totally added to my life. Or it just doesn't.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to fit a square into a rand hole. I'd rather be the right situation.
Speaker 2: So I went out a date with this guy and there was a matchmaker and she said to me, are you too busy to date?
Speaker 1: Are you too busy to date?
Speaker 3: No, I'm actually not. And when I was turning fifty, this was two years ago, I woke up on January first, my birthdays in April, and I was like, this is going to be my year. I'm going to treat it like a job. And I was like, I'm going to figure out a way to go on a date or two a week. And I did it. And I don't think I'm too busy. Like if the right situation presented itself, my hurdle is I say yes day every day, right, I mean one hundred percent. Like I love meeting people talking to them like I can. I love to talk to people and get to know people, whether they're my person or not. A different story. I don't think I'm too busy. I think I just need to put myself into different situations to open up more avenues like date.
Speaker 2: So okay, so we were looking for different avenues. Okay, we talked about Luane or like waiter thing.
Speaker 1: Which is that tip is amazing. It makes me laugh so much. Oh my god, I'm dead.
Speaker 2: But okay, so we're like, so outside of going to bars and stuff like that, I.
Speaker 3: Think we need to go to airports. We could sit at airports. I think, you know, like we.
Speaker 1: Should go with you.
Speaker 2: I begued.
Speaker 3: I could do like a fun little adventure where it's like we just go. I think you should come to La I go to New York. Then we go sit at different airports, and we fly to Atlanta and sit at a bar there at a hotel. Hotel bars are the way to go.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you, wait, what about long distance? What are your thoughts on long distance?
Speaker 3: Oh god, okay, well I used to think it was great, and then I was, you know, like I recently gone out with a guy from San Francisco and he flew down and I was like, Okay, that's that's fine. Hour whatever, maybe two hours or whatever. But I would love to date a guy in like New York on the East Coast because quite frankly, you know, I would like to I'd love to have the opportunity to live elsewhere for chunks of time. I work full time here. Luckily I have an assistant. I live in a situation which is lock and leave. I'm totally okay with long distance. Genuinely, I think it would be fun to live in New York for a month and then fun to have him be here for a month. My kids are, you know, gone, They're in college, one's about to graduate, one's a sophomore. Who knows where one's gonna be in Nashville, Like, who knows? So I would totally do long distance. And I actually think I would love to spend time in a different city, meeting new people, doing I grew up in La I know it. I'm done with it. What about you?
Speaker 2: You know, I'm open to anything now because again, like you and I are similar where our kids are older, and I'm just open to every I mean, I have to, you know, I have to actually move because I am I'm you know, I'm one of my clients. I'm living in his apartment. I'm renting his apartment and he wants to sell it. And I'm like, okay, now I have to like get up and move. And I could just do anything and go anywhere. And I mean I was even thinking like I know this sounds not that far, but I was like, maybe I'll even move uptown. I've never lived uptown before, or I could literally just do anything I want. I mean, it'll probably be difficult for me to leave my kids, to like leave the state, but like, I mean, even I was thinking maybe I should have moved to Florida, or maybe I should go to Texas for a little bit. I had work in Texas, and so I'm just I'm I've never been open to moving or being away from my kids, even though they were in college.
Speaker 1: I was like, they have to have a family home.
Speaker 2: They have to have structure, they have to have comfort, they have to know that I'm you know, reliable and I'm there for them all the time. But now they're just being nice to me because like mom, we're sad.
Speaker 1: We don't want you to be sad.
Speaker 3: Well, like me, I think they worry about me, so I awful. I always saw my kids home is the people, not the structure. So I think that they've never been attached to an actual place. It's more about the people, which which is great. I think that do you remember the movie because you and I think are similar age remember the movie Sliding doors of Paltrow. Oh, Kelly, you've got to watch them.
Speaker 1: Wait, who else is in?
Speaker 3: It's Gwyneth Paltrow, some British actor. But the point of the movie is, which is how I'm choosing to look at my life now is sliding doors right and Back in the day, I used to probably make more impulsive decisions, not looking at the entire chessboard, saying well, if I do this and I For example, when I was graduating college, I went to Berkeley. I had this big plan. I wanted to spend the first five years post college and I wanted to live one year each in a different five cities. Choose five cities, New York, London, Dallas, whatever it was, because I was like, if I came straight back to LA, I knew I was going to never leave right, and I really wanted to drink their coffee. I had no idea what I wanted to do. So I got a job in New York and I was supposed to start in August of ninety four in an entertainment company, and I came home at such an idiot. I came home that summer to LA and I like met a guy and was like, oh, I'm not going to this is my guy, Like, I'm not moving to New York and I never did and it's the single biggest regret in my life. And you look at it like that was the sliding door, right, So to our kind of twenty twenty five philosophy of just say yes in a way, if we're just saying yes to opportunities, those are our sliding doors. So for all you know, Amy and Heather want to set you up with ten and as guy who's la, you guys get hit You said yes, you could hit it off. All of a sudden, you're not locked into, you know, a mortgage in New York. You could be living in La. You have no idea. These are sliding doors. Every day we have sliding doors that are presented to us and we have to decide, like which door are we going in or not going in? And what is that gonna domino effect?
Speaker 1: What about like making new friends?
Speaker 2: So we've talked about dating apps, we've talked about we're gonna do together, but what literally what about like it's so hard to meet Like I'm so happy to meet you just because you know, you're you're smart, you're interesting, you're engaging, you're insightful, like you just you you think differently a little bit, a little differently than than me, but we were we're in the same scope of possibility in our thought process, which I love about you. But like, if I didn't know Amy, I wouldn't know you. So how, you know, how do you meet other friends that are interested in the same things when they're when you don't Like when we're younger, we have all these you know, the play groups and the parents, and like you meet all these people and you're like the common denominators your kids. But now it's like I don't have a common denominator. Or if I meet someone, they're like, oh, you're single, and I'm like.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I'm single. They're like, oh, Like it's like a bad thing.
Speaker 3: Like you know, it's funny. I haven't had to be honest with you people. I don't I haven't had that. I haven't had that experience with which I I love my girlfriends so much, and I have such a great kind of posse of friends and I just love I don't know, like I actually love collecting amazing friends. I will tell you that new friendships. I'm a very open a new friendship and I'm really look, I might not be a lot of things right, but I know I'm a really good friend and I'm really loyal and I'm super like dependable, like I love my friend. I'm a giver, I'm not a taker. So for me, making friends has never been a challenge for me. I've had you know, friends since I was you know, like two years old. I have a hard time being more connectable to men, to be honest with you.
Speaker 4: And so for me, like I meet you, I goes back to me asking you like if you're too busy and maybe that's so, maybe it's not maybe maybe I have to rephrase the question, like because it's.
Speaker 1: You know, just from you know, listening.
Speaker 2: To you, you obviously are so proficient in so many things you know you are, You're like perfect in so many ways you are.
Speaker 1: But does that what? What? But what about for men?
Speaker 2: Like how how do they how do they come into into play? Like you know what void can they feel for you outside of being your your you know, you said you like your park bench, but there they have to be They need more than that than to just be your park bench. They need to feel wanted and needed. And if you have, if you're this, you know.
Speaker 3: I think you're right, Kelly. I think that's my You're beautiful. I'm super self sufficient. I'm super self sufficient, and I think that for a lot of men, you know, probably similar with you, Like you know, you've kind of done it on.
Speaker 2: Your self sufficient, but you're also really really beautiful. So it's like a lot of women are self sufficient, but they're not so beautiful. So it's like they are more maybe they're more insecure because they're they're not you know, they're not they don't look like you. I mean probably walk down the street and guys.
Speaker 1: Like, holy sug, who's that? Thank you?
Speaker 2: So how do they but no, just I'm asking, like, so, how like what can you do to be more open, like you said the grave, be more open to allowing these men.
Speaker 1: To see like who you are too. I mean that's what I've been doing.
Speaker 3: I need to be a little more dependent, not independent. I need to learn to be a little softer. I think I need to learn to ask for help more. I think I need to. You know, when I'm on a date, I tend to ask a lot of questions and deflect the off of me. And sometimes when I go on a date, now I like sit down my hands, you know, like Louise, stop asking so many questions, like let them ask you. You know what I'm saying, Like, I think it's just a default, right, it comes from stuff in my in my childhood.
Speaker 2: I think it's also genuinely like because you're really smart, so you're like asking questions and you probably know the answer to most of the questions that you're asking.
Speaker 1: Which is there's nothing that's amazing, by the way, But.
Speaker 2: One thing that I've learned in the past couple of months is not and people are calling it trauma bond, but I don't think.
Speaker 1: I don't like trauma bond.
Speaker 2: Like I don't need to say to you, I got divorced and my ex husband did this, and I've been doing all these things and my life is so bad. How bad is your life? Like that's not how I want to connect with you. I want to connect with you in ways like I know who you are, I know who your friends are.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about like you know.
Speaker 2: Solutions, tricks, fun things to do together, but at the end of the day, like the solutions that are that we are coming to at this time of our life, Like that's really really what's super important to me, and this podcast has been so crucial because it's opened me up to again like listening to be vulnerable.
Speaker 1: To before my fear, I had so much fear, but the way that it was projected was like this over self confidence, which was the opposite.
Speaker 3: I was literally like crawling inside you and I are the same person.
Speaker 2: I'd be grinding my teeth at night. My dentist is like, what are you doing. I'm like, I don't know. She's like, you're grinding. You're literally grinding your teeth down. I'm like, because I'm like a nervous wreck.
Speaker 3: That's me. That's me too. And you and I are super super I'm just like the blonde version of you. We're super super similar. And I think we have the same lessons to learn, and I think that we're learning them every day and we're going to be presented with different people to teach us those lessons. Right, Like every relationship I have has taught me something more about myself or made me be more vulnerable.
Speaker 2: I have something. So now we have a second challenge. Okay, so the first challenge is like what we're going to do for something that's fun to meet new.
Speaker 1: People, which I love that, but why don't What about our second challenge?
Speaker 2: Could be something that's we did something this week that made it extremely vulnerable, like in a super a super awkward position.
Speaker 1: I want to I want to do that. Okay, so what are your ideas? What are your ideas?
Speaker 3: I need to I need to think about it. I uh, I see my kids are here one more week and then they're leaving on Sunday. So I've kind of because they just got back from being gone with their dad for two weeks. So like my whole week is like it. I just want to focus on that.
Speaker 1: It could be like a ten minute thing.
Speaker 2: It's not like it's no yeah, like on your way to yoga or something like something I don't know, just something that would put you in a vulnerable position.
Speaker 3: There was a guy I'm dangerous.
Speaker 1: I'm not asking you to.
Speaker 3: Like no, no, no, no no no no no no. I had dated a really nice guy and we broke up in October and he was a good guy, and I'm like, part of me is like did I got? But he was a really good guy and he had texted me over Christmas and he's like, let's have dinner in January and I was like, yeah, totally. I think I'll reach out. I'll reach out to this week and see if he wants to.
Speaker 1: Have dinner or you don't have to have dinner. Why can't you just go for a coffee or.
Speaker 3: A drink or a coffee.
Speaker 1: But like I think, I, yeah, just have a coffee. And by the way, yeah, don't don't to the dinner. Don't to the dinner.
Speaker 2: Oh so one of my producers, she told the Starbucks barista about her breakup.
Speaker 1: So like, it's okay to you know, be.
Speaker 2: Open, and I think it's interesting, listen whatever happens with this guy. I think it's good to also have conversations. Like I'm the kind of person I'm so black and white. And maybe that's because I'm like I'm a super mom. I'm gonna protect my family. I can do it all. Here's my cape. And so what I do is I'm like, I don't like what you do. I'm like, you're done, and I just I just remove you.
Speaker 3: Oh, you and I are so similar. Do you look back in the rear view.
Speaker 2: If I see someone, if I see you in the stail, like, Hi, I have zero interested in calling you.
Speaker 1: I have zero. They're like, oh yeah, you're gonna call me, I'm like, no.
Speaker 3: So it, Kelly. If somebody crosses you, are you black and white? Whereas you just kind of look back.
Speaker 2: If I'm dating you and you did do things that really like put me in a position that makes me super vulnerable and afraid, I'm like we're done, like finished, or if you put me in a situation where like trust, you know, trust in this new part of my new world is like paramount to anything everything, And so if I can't trust you, or if I can't you know, I'm like, I'm an action speak louder in the words, like a lot of people are like YadA, YadA, YadA, and so I just want to be able to trust people. And I just think it's great and I want to hear what I want to hear what happens, because if that happens, I want to hear what happens after you guys.
Speaker 3: After you guys talk, I'll do that, you know. And it's funny, I'm the same way with you with trust, Like trust is like a piece of paper. Once it's ripped or torn, you can glue and tape it, but the schism is always there. And I think that when somebody blows your trust or crosses you in a way like there's just no going back for me.
Speaker 1: In the spirit of your driftwood. It's like painting over rotten lumber.
Speaker 3: Yes, well, driftwood, you're my driftwood. Tennis and your driftwood. I'm so excited. Seriously, we have so many like texting things that we've got it. And when are you going to come to la will you might.
Speaker 1: Be hopefully soon, hopefully soon visiting.
Speaker 3: Tennis and then he's going to hunt you to me for an hour or we can all go to dinner, I know, remember.
Speaker 2: Louise, Oh my god, thank you so so so much. Okay, so we know what our marching orders are. Yes, something vulnerable and something really fun.
Speaker 3: Something vulnerable and something risky with like the Countess Luerns, like taking a play out of her playbook. And don't forget the going to a restaurant or a bar thirty minutes before your girl's dinner, because you can accomplish something there in a safe kind of time.
Speaker 1: Brame.
Speaker 2: But by the way, I'm actually going to do the same thing that you're doing. And I'm gonna write myself a little note and I'm gonna take a photo. Yeah, I want to write two notes tomorrow tonight, tomorrow to when I'm out about whoever I am.
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna be like, can you give this that person?
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's do let's challenge ourselves because guess what we doing? Great stuff comes back and.
Speaker 1: Return You're like, should she drop something?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, you are so much fun. I love talking about meeting new friends and people that you know when you meet somebody in your life and they're aligned with kind of your core values and where you are, know you, well, you're that's you. You're my girl, You're new, You're my new twenty twenty five friend. I'm good, Louise.
Speaker 2: It was so great getting to chat with you today on the pod. You have such great insight, and it's been so cool to meet someone who's going through a similar journey as me.
Speaker 1: Do you want dating advice?
Speaker 2: Call us or email us, follow us on socials. All the information will be in the show notes, and make sure to rate and review the podcast. I Do Part two an iHeartRadio podcast where falling in love is the main objective.
Speaker 3: EXTI EXTI fou