Speaker 1: To on the move going deep Speedlis Peace do Hell.
Speaker 2: From the Baptist Health Studio. This inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is Drivetime with Travis Wingfield.
Speaker 3: He's got my hands in the playoffs. What is up Dolphins and welcome to the Draft Time Podcast. I am your host, Travis Wingfield. And on today's show, if I sound a little bit excited, the great practice we just witnessed was part of that. The other big part of that is because it's a great day to be a Miami Dolphin, because you have a quarterback worthy of a top contract at the position in the NFL. What a practice it was, Big plays all over. We'll talk about Tua Tongue of i Loa's monster practice and monster deal. We'll hear from head coach Mike McDaniel, from Kendall Fuller, Anthony Walker, Aaron Brewer, all talking about the quarterback in the day of work on the field. We'll break down all those big plays, including long touchdowns to Tyreek Hill, Devon A Chan River, Craycraft times two, and so much more.
Speaker 2: Go Koog's.
Speaker 3: We'll talk about Patrick Paul chop Robinson, Grayson Murphy among the big playmakers, Busy day. Let's get into it from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 2: This is the Draft Time podcast.
Speaker 3: Maye before we get to practice. Per reports Miami, we got a deal. That's my Russell Wilson impression Adam Schefter rap sheet reporting that the Dolphins and Tua Tongava Loa are in agreement on a contract extension for the next four years. We'll deal with the financials on that later as it becomes official. And if what I saw on the practice field today was an indication of where Tua is from a mental standpoint, after obviously having some knowledge this was getting done right, he probably knew that was going to happen today as he stepped on the practice field and had his most full practice going back to early OTAs participating in team drills. Well, then, goodness gracious, I am so glad to have this thing wrapped up and to move forward getting ready for the season because he was. I mean, the whole summer and spring program so far has been aces for QB one, but he was at his best. I think it might have been the best practice he's had as a Miami Dolphin to date because there were throws in there that were just so dang good and how great is this? We'll come back to that in a second. The guy that I personally fell in love with a prospect back in twenty eighteen in that National Championship game, gets here, has a rough couple of first seasons, maybe isn't as believed in by his head coach as he should be.
Speaker 2: We get a new head coach that.
Speaker 3: Sees the skill set, develops him, restores some confidence in the quarterbacks game, and he becomes one of the top ten qbs in the NFL. And now we have the most important position in sports secured for the long term. A beautiful, beautiful date, mummy, Dolphins fan, you have the franchise's best quarterback since Stan Marino, and he ain't going anywhere for a long long time. I do have, as we pivot here for Mike McDaniel's soundbites to run today, and I want to begin with two of them as we gear up for the first practice with you, the fans coming out to Sunday's practice. If you get out here and one of your favorite players is in Jersey but not practicing, I just wanted to play this audio to help you understand the why behind the practice schedule and rotation and all the planning and scripting that is involved in orchestrating not just a single practice, but an entire camp six weeks worth.
Speaker 2: Right, I thought coach absolutely killed it.
Speaker 3: Excuse me with this explanation of something that fans myself really anybody who's not in those meetings can possibly know. And I think it also does a great job of explaining a small part of all that a coach has on his plate, as he meant, just the entire operation.
Speaker 2: Really cool stuff. Here's head coach Mike McDaniel.
Speaker 4: What you try to do is you have your your group of players that you're going to establish on the forefront, who do you want to manage before you get to managing and find more people to manage, And in that you're trying to disperse veterans so that no one position is put out of sorts or left vulnerable by lack of legs, thereby making their position group and players more vulnerable to injuries. So that's it's all very strategic. Trust me, It's not just me involved in those plannings. That takes a whole team that when they bring the best ideas and the good ideas, I co sign those and make them my own.
Speaker 3: And coach will be the first one to acknowledge our poor injury luck the last two seasons, right, I mean that happens across the league every single year, but I don't remember getting into the management of it this early and years past outside of injuries, and obviously, like toront Armstead is a different case and how he prepares for a season.
Speaker 2: But I look at this as a lesson.
Speaker 3: Learned or maybe seeing the results and saying, let's change and find a way to prevent this. What can we do to give ourselves the best chance to be a healthy football team and not just pound our heads into the wall and do the exact same thing year over year. And I think this is a proactive measure which you can't guarantee that it works because there's no guarantees in the sport, especially with injuries. But I love the evolving operation around the concept of searching for improvement and doing everything you can to put your best foot forward. I think it's smart in concept because you're never going to know what your numbers and health will look like down the road, so it will always be evolving. But my takeaway is that being proactive and preparing for the inevitable, which is that you will be forced to adapt on the fly at some point, whether it's July or December, is smart and just that proactive. The next one here from Coach is another great example of a question you might have as a fan when you come out here. How come there's such a mix of what we've known traditionally to be the ones run with the ones they come off the field, and the twos go with the twos and so on. Now, if you've been out here before, you know that they've always done this, which Coach says here, But I thought it was just another awesome explanation from McDaniel on the why behind the things they do, because every single action, again as you'll hear, has research, thought and discussion behind it. Here is why you rotate Tyreek Hill, the best player in the NFL, possibly with your UDFA four string quarterback and Gavin Hardest.
Speaker 4: You feel comfortable doing that when you're trying to work on your entire game, and there's a lot of times that's happened since we've got here. It's kind of something that I've always believed in. If a receiver needs a manned man or needs to run a route versus man. Instead of forcing you know, the defense to cater to your needs, why not have wait for a rep that goes against man. Maybe that's in the second or third group. You know, that's kind of erroneous, and so our skill positions really rotate that way so they can get opportunities at point of attack stuff. Generally, I'm kind of hesitant because this might give our defense a competitive advantage advantage against our offense. But generally, if Tyreek's in with said quarterback, the balls probably going to them. So and you know, so there's a lot of things at play. You know, the quarterback receiver connection is important, but it's one of many things that are important, and there's a lot of work to be done in between.
Speaker 3: This might sound like something of a broken record, but I just cannot appreciate enough that thought process really behind everything this coaching staff does. Remember for a while back, you know, not everybody was using joint practices. I remember the Patriots were one of the few teams doing it at first, and it was like, hey, that seems like a really good idea.
Speaker 2: Why don't we do that?
Speaker 3: And now we see this trend of using those reps to replace some of the game reps for some guys, and in some cases all of the game reps. I don't think Jared Goff ever plays in the preseason, but I just look at expanding your joint practices to every single opponent. I look at the comments about managing workloads on the front end through this time of year, and I think about how they manufacture the time they have on the grass to get the most out of it. If we want to get a rep against man coverage, maybe we have to go back into this third part of eleven on eleven period. It all just makes a lot of sense to me. And you know what else makes a bunch of sense. Tua hitting multiple wow throws on the day that he gets his big contract extension. I've referenced this on the podcast before. A couple of years ago. Kyle Crabs from Lockdown Dolphins came down mid camp and Tua put on a really nice display and Kyle was like, pretty good by the quarterback.
Speaker 5: Huh.
Speaker 3: I'm like, yeah, it's been like that for most of camp. And then there was today three years later, and Kyle's like, you know, I come down here for these practices and you tell me about the practice I'm not at, and we have these awesome Tua days where you know, the ball gets out quick, he's on time, he's in rhythm.
Speaker 2: You have maybe one or two wow throws, right.
Speaker 3: But today it's like every damn throw is just making you be like, oh my god, that's a professional quarterback right there. Let's go through the ones that I found most impressive. First off, let's go ahead and jump ahead and work backwards here, because we opened up eleven on eleven, the very first snap that Tua has taken in this portion of practice since I don't know what part of OTA's it was, but it was like early on because he stopped doing the eleven on eleven at some point. No Ta, I think it was a sixty eight yard touchdown. The ball was either on the thirty two or the thirty Some of the lines have not been repainted, so it's hard to see, especially from the far field, but we're splitting hairs.
Speaker 2: Who cares?
Speaker 3: Who cares if it was a sixty eight or a seventy yard touchdown? So Tua executes this play fake that forces Jalen Ramsey or gets him to bite hard on Tyreek on a short throw, and as you know, a fraction of a false step on Tyreek usually means curtains, game over, good night, and that's exactly what it was. Tua uncorks the ball from his own twenty five yard line and Tyreek catches it at the plus twenty and cruises in for six from there. For those counting at home who care about this, that's fifty five yards in the air, but a seventy yard or sixty eight yard touchdown pass, depending on where the hell that ball was located. My favorite part after that was watching Jalen Ramsey go over to Tua on the offensive side of the field and patting him on the helmet and like gestures the fake handoff, and then they both come off of that like laughing and dapping each other up, like obviously that. I can't hear the conversation from there, but I imagine it was something like, yo, that that ball fake got me there?
Speaker 2: Oose, watch what y'all doing there now?
Speaker 3: Just kidding, And we know two a throw is one of the prettier early deep balls in football, right, He's got one of the best record of doing that from a completion standpoint, from an accuracy standpoint, from a yards and touchdown standpoint and just watch the dang thing.
Speaker 2: It looks pretty good.
Speaker 3: But what I really liked was a throw he had during one on ones where Kyrik McGowan was a guy that was added very late to the roster here before Camp caught the long touchdown. Now I should clarify first that Saran Neil pressed McGowan effectively that I think the play was over before it started, but in one on one you continue these things because why would you not, And then he got a step on Neil, and Neil, you know, good for him for doing this. He continued with the play himself even though it was probably over, and to threw a line drive deep shot. He put the ball on the rope where you have to like sneak it in under the safety because at this point of that given play that you're you know, simulating, you would have had a safety closing in on that because he had so much time to do it. So he puts this frozen rope out there because it wasn't a situation where he's even he's leaving, because this cornerback was kind of gaining ground on McGowan on this particular play. I have to get the ball to him as quick as I can, like, I see it now. I need the ball on him now, not thirty yards downfield in you know, two seconds. So he got it there, he rips it, McGowan makes the catch and scores a little bit of good on good there. As far as Neil and Tua earlier in seven v seven, Tua found alec Ingold and John news Smith on underneath throws and I want to play some sound here from McDaniel and from both coach and Anthony Walker here because I think it's instructive. Remember Tyreek's comments on Tuesday about sustained drives and putting together twelve play drives and then Wada was like, yeah, I guess I don't know.
Speaker 2: I like to score personally on the first one.
Speaker 3: I thought that was just fantastic commentary by those two elite wide receivers and you know, a look into their mindset. But we got a follow up today from McDaniel, who I thought really thoroughly clearly explained the thinking there, because who doesn't want to score one play drives when you can get them? We all do, Tybreek does too. But the reality is that sometimes you're going to have to grind out a drive and coach tells you why right here.
Speaker 4: In his own way. What he's describing right there is, you know, our offensive or our players on offense here are immersed enough in the system to understand areas where if you improve, can make everything improve. So what he's saying we we he is confident in our ability to score explosively in short drives. Well, you know, we've lived the experience the last two years that defenses don't want you to do that, so they give you up space initially, you know, close to the line of scrimmage, to to make sure they can keep a roof over over the offense and they're eligible. So everything when it's all about taking advantage of overplay. So if you're overplaying deep, how can you get most efficient yardage through execution on shorter things? Run game? You have to when you as a leader and a football student, Tyreek understands that if you unless you want to see very deep coverage with everyone thirty yards down the field, you better make people pay otherwise they're going to keep doing it. So that's something I think our locker room does a great job of is as players identifying consistencies of what's happening to us, and then our coaches we try to come up with a plan on how to counter people's counter.
Speaker 2: And that's what had me so fired up.
Speaker 3: About the addition of John ou Smith back in what was it early March, About the addition of Odell Beckham, who also offers the vertical threat there too, About the second year of Devon hen who looks we'll talk about him in a second, but looks like a freaking weapon at receiver too. Right now, just about how this offense has added pieces and yet another year of experience within the system I think breeds progress for the incumbents of it. I just think you're going to see another step and even more well rounded attack in year three of Mike McDaniel. I think you're going to see a similar jump that you saw from year one to year two in year two to year three. So when when I see them clear space on a shallow cross by the fullback by running a wheel that displaces that coverage and then run the fullback in behind that displacement, or I see them throw a stick to my big physical tight end who will catch you and then not get knocked backwards like gosh I was watching the finale against Buffalo not that long ago, and we have this drive in that second half where we just couldn't get anything going. And it ends because Braxton catches a ball right at the sticks, retreats an inch, and then couldn't power his way through the wrap up tackle that forced him to be a half yard short, which we punched the ball because you can't turn over there, right. You think that'll happen to John wus Smith. Hell no, So I'm pumped up for that. And the defenders noticed that too. Man, We've been watching these linebackers just run the gauntlet in terms of their responsibilities. In practice, they did a fun drill today where the linebackers would play the run fit recognize the quarterback in this case it's a coach, but pull the ball back on play pass. Then they have to get vertical and locate one of those big exercise balls that they roll in behind the linebacker, like in that fifteen yard range that deep hook drop and typically opens up after a successful play action. Right, It's what it's called robot technique. You turn your head to the quarterback, you get your hand on, you locate the receiver of the tight end by putting it in the hip pocket of the crossing route, you get back in phase and you get eyes back to the football. And I've been really impressed with both Walker and Brooks doing these through three days. So I asked Anthony Walker Junior about how this offense and the way they create space challenges you as a defender.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I think I had to run for forty fifty yards yesterday to defend the play. But I told Mike, uh, you know, the middle of the field is closed down while I'm in there, so I'll take pride in that. And that's what you know, that's what he prides himself on. He broke that down us and OTAs you know, this is how Mike Linebacker plays. So the soul clips of Fred Warner just on in the middle, and I take pride in that. So yeah, that's that's my job. And as I says, linebackers, we take that challenge. Obviously, when you got the speedsters out there, you know, the dbs are already stressed enough, so we don't want them to have to worry about covering you know, the shallows as well. So as long as we can take take take away the middle of the field and let those guys stay on how we're doing our job.
Speaker 3: All right, Let's get back to the dope throws. Bro Let's go back to seven on seven when River Craidcraft had his first of two long touchdowns que the Washington State fight song. It was a coverage bust because two guys jumped up on Riv and he stuck in behind him. Look, there's a reason River Credycraft has never caught a long like you know, breakaway touchdown like that.
Speaker 2: It's just not his game.
Speaker 3: But because of a nice route and some good play fakes and ball handling from Tua, he hits him in stride for another long touchdown. This one goes sixty yards. I think it was from their own forty yard line. And I also thought Tua had Eric Azukama for a long touchdown with a perfect throw between the corner and safety window of cover two. But Azukama like just didn't have that extra gear to go make a play like Kyle Lean's over and says where was the where was the extra gear there?
Speaker 2: I'm like, I didn't see it, man.
Speaker 3: I think that's a play that our top guys would make, and maybe two of through that ball as if it were from the top two guys, and I really hope that Azukala becomes a guy that does make that play. But I will you know, I thought it was there for him to go get it. I will say Jordan Poyer got there quickly and would have had a big hit. And Poyer has been an absolute monster and his two practices so far.
Speaker 2: More on that in a second.
Speaker 3: Let's go ahead and loop Devon Hchen in here too to the two a portion, because this guy, man, holy moly, I don't think anyone's made more plays than Devon h chen has. He ran an intermediate route where he broke into a tight window between two defenders, like that second window slant or dig or you know, the deep hook, and Devon elevates like a receiver, catches it and comes down on balance and then races into the end zone. The way this ball split those defenders, the way Devon finished it. I always say this and like it seems obvious, but holy cow, man, like I have such an appreciation for professional football compared to other levels of football. You just don't see this level of execution outside of the NFL, like high high level stuff. There's a reason they pay you know, this quarterback fifty plus million dollars a year. Hn also had a wicked cutback run where he pressed playside, then wound his way back to the backside and hits this nice gap that was opened up by Patrick Paul More on him in a moment. And the way Devon runs away from people is again, it's not like what you see in professional football. It's like when Bama plays Kennesaw State, no shade kind of saw or you know Reggie Bush's high school tape. But just like you're not catching him, you just won't do it. He looks like a receiver, guys. I'm telling you, the way he catches the football, the way he controls his body, the way he stays on balance and runs after the catch. You know, Tyreek was a running back when he came out of Georgia State, and Devon is Georgia Southern.
Speaker 2: Can I say that right?
Speaker 3: Devon is He's gonna stay at running back, but he's got real, real wide receiver ability adjuster fantasy plans. Accordingly, a coach spoke about Devon chan this morning.
Speaker 4: Let's go to McDaniel, and he really impressed, guys about how the game. You hear this much the game's not too big for him, right, Well, that's cool for Devon if that's where his ceiling where he wants his ceiling. Thankfully for the Miami Dolphins, that's not.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 4: He's expanded, roles, expanded, you know, different ways that he can get the ball. But he's he's really uh, he's become a guy that pretty much every person on the offense counts on to note his responsibility because he's he and that helps everyone. So he's become a pro diet strength. It's really cool to see he he had a taste of success, and fortunately for us, he's not satisfied with that.
Speaker 2: While he wasn't throwing, was his level of attention to practice where he wanted to be as far as mental reps communication with you, I think he was listening to play calls.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, you know he he and and you know what, like everybody involved has has been super professional because he's if he is not going to be taking a rep, he's not going to have that rep lost in him. And in year three of the offense, that's that's really it's a lot more impactful than if that would be the case in year one. You get you have the muscle memory, on a lot of things. So every rep can be whether whether you're doing or not, can be something that you can use to your advantage. Because that muscle memory, it's not what he really needs to train. It's the visual scene. This particular picture. Our defense presents so many unique pictures, and he's been basically all those simulated pressures. Keep your awareness and locked in focus.
Speaker 3: Let's go ahead and pause right there for a break and come back and do some more to an offense talk. That's next Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by automation. Getting back into the podcast here and back to QB one. The very next ball that he threw after the Hn catch and run was the exact same thing to Tyreek Hill on the very next play, and Saran Neil was right there in great shape to make a play on the football. But it goes back to the old Brian Dable keyhole ball, like to a put this thing, and it's got to frustrate defenders because he rips these things into these tight windows and it's almost like arrogant in terms of the confidence he has to fit them.
Speaker 2: But he does it like all the damn time.
Speaker 3: It could not have been placed better in photoshop if you froze the frame and went and edited it that way. Tyreek breaks through the crowd and once again has gone for a long touchdown. So it was sick throws, it was long throws. It was tight windows, it was to the perimeter, it was to the inside, it was check downs, stay on schedule throws, manage the situation.
Speaker 2: Take what's there. Just a blast of a.
Speaker 3: Day when your quarterback plays like that, and it makes everything else, everything just so much more fun. It reminds me of the Josh Rosen hear the converse of the Josh Rosen year. We can't play Josh Rosen because we cannot evaluate anybody else on the team because this guy's horrible. Well, when your quarterback is great, it makes everything else better around you too. Let's go ahead and hear from a couple of guys on QB one Kendall Fuller, Anthony Walker, back to back on watching to a practice to day. Remember how Mike White spoke about two yesterday.
Speaker 2: These are pretty good too.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean he's impressive. I mean he's always looking impressive on Sundays. But it's different once you get to see somebody you know, on a day to day basis just their their mental how they how they process information, how he processes defenses. You know, you can just tell his his intent with every every snap that he takes. So it's been fun to see him and learn from him and watch him compete.
Speaker 1: Man, he made a throw today. I was like, like, dude, like, you know, it's a play that the mic linebacker. So I'm just happy that I wasn't there, but the mic linebacker should be there. But he threw the ball before you know, I think THREEQ was even out his break, you know. So you know, you see what he brings to the table. You see what he means to this team with the off how he you know, just pumps up the offense. They know, you know, when he's out there, it's just a different different feeling.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: You know, they love everybody, you love all the quarterbacks, but it's a different feeling when one is in there. And I think the guys feel that.
Speaker 3: Okay, he've broken down a lot in the passing game, but I want to get back to some of the guys that made the plays, including River Craycraft's second long touchdown off the hand of Skyler Thompson, who finished practice very strong with some really good throws late in this session. I will say I think River made the play, was the guy that kind of made the play on the touchdown because it brought he and Saran Neil to a standstill. It was a little bit underthrown, but I think River saw the ball kind of pull him back a little bit, so he slowed down because Neil's playing him and initiates some contact and then hits the throttle when Saran slows down and runs right through it for the catch for the touchdown. And Saran came up off the ground saying like that was a push off offensive passing their fear rates. But from my vantage point, I disagree, and that's a bias Cougar, But I do think it was a legit touchdown from Craycraft, who was in the running for me for the Orange jersey. On Sunday, Let's get another sound bite here, this time from Kendall Fuller, who talked about how this offense and the weapons and the vertical stretch and the horizontal stretch can really challenge you as a defender.
Speaker 6: You got to cover them vertically horizontal, you got to be able to make one on one tackles and in the open field with a lot of athletic and fast guys. So I mean it's funny because playing Miami last year, I kind of know a little bit about the offense, but you know, being able to go against it every day and just see how much they attack you vertically, horizontally in space, so you got to be prepared at each level.
Speaker 3: We talked about h and Tyreek Rakkraft. How about John hu smith Man watching him in practice, him and Ployer I think are just as valuable in their approach and their temperament there. You know the fact that they are kind of badasses, right, like certified bas Like Johnny was going up against another certified BA and Javon Holland in one on ones and they weren't battling physical battles, you know, intense battles. I loved how John Whu would initiate contact, like rather than letting the press come to him, he would run his five yard route and engage in the contact with Holland, and then that allows him to dictate when the disengage occur, which is basically what creating separation is in tight quarters. He's a professional route runner and gosh, I am enjoying watching him hit do his work. Let's hear from another veteran who knows John Hu very well on how he sees John Who's game here in Miami. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I've known Jonah for a very long time. I played against him twice a year for four years when I was in Indye. Very special talent, explosive with the ball in his hands, and that's any way you can get it to him. I saw him get a jet suit today. I was like, all right, we just install this stuff now we getting bored on day three. But no, he's just again like a very unique talent at that tight end position pretty much. You know kim run like a running back and catch like a receiver and then get down and block like old lineman. So very special talent.
Speaker 3: So that was Anthony Walker. And on that jet sweep that he mentioned there, Smith won the race to the corner against a cornerback. And you know Seth from the Fish Tank podcast, My boy here leans in and says, I didn't look like a tight end brother. I'm like, I know, he looks really impressive. So you know, Omar, if you're hearing this, I don't know where you're getting the idea that he's been replaced. I saw the tweet like we ain't watching the same thing. Dog, He's been far and away the best head end on the field. Love you, Oh, but what are we doing here? Baby?
Speaker 2: Come on now?
Speaker 3: These three days have only strengthened my belief that John Who was going to be a massive, massive addition for the Miami Dolphins. Let's move on to the offensive line, where it hasn't been as pretty. But there were a couple of guys that really popped for me today, and the first one was rookie Patrick Paul. He first caught my attention in one on ones when Cam Brown tried to I put in the tweet Mohammed Kamara. I was wrong about that one. He did a nice rep against Kmara later on, but this one was against Cam Brown. Cam Brown tried to shorten his set, which is basically getting him to slide too far inside to open up the outside like speed rush lane, and he crossed over to get to that arc and Patrick just patiently sets into his passe set, cuts off the corner, and then when Brown tried to spin back inside and redirect, he threw the punch and keeping that punch in the holster until the final commitment move, because a defensive end or edge rusher wants to draw that move out of with all the you know, pomp and circumstance, and if you don't draw it out of him, then by the time he's ready to throw that punch, you're gonna get on your butt.
Speaker 2: And that's what happened. He never took the cheese.
Speaker 3: He stayed patient and just hung out back in his set and then put Cam Brown on the ground with his punch. Then he carries it over the team period where Chop Robinson, who for my money was a top five option for Orange Jersey today from his Wednesday work or sorry, Thursday work. You know, Paul had like five consecutive wins against him in a row, and including one where Chop tried to go speed to power, but Paul just absorbed it in a way that looked absolutely effortless. And that's why, like here, let's let's continue this. I cough up with Aaron Brewer after practice who discussed his impressions so far of butcher Berry, and I think this is applicable.
Speaker 2: Let's go ahead and go to the Dolphin Center.
Speaker 5: He a great guy. You know what, I'm saying, we a like I want to say, he's like a he's a great coach, and you able to communicate with him, you know what I'm saying. So like, he ain't like just trying to make it just one way. He wanted to see had you visualized, he gonna say you he visualizing, y'all gonna meet in the middle with it.
Speaker 3: I just think that's a super beneficial way to approach teaching young men in twenty twenty four, right, Like, you don't have to scream and y'all at these guys and you know, break their spirit. You give them positive reinforcement, You make them feel as part of the collaboration. And you guys have heard Patrick Paul in this podcast, very cerebral, intelligent young man, and given Butch's track record, I love our chances of really developing this guy who has every physical trait you'd want to build in a lab from an offensive tackle. The other guy I liked was Ryan Hayes, who I've been impressed with him through three days so far. Similar patients with the punch, no heel clicking, just seems really clean from a technical standpoint, which I thought that was when one area he could get better at at Michigan, and he seems to be doing it so far.
Speaker 2: Now. I did believe there was not believe it. It just was this way.
Speaker 3: There was some snap issues and some false start issues. The defense got their sacks mostly late, mostly against the twos, I thought, but we had some snap issues and false starts as a result of the snap going off, And I'm not sure what the deal was like the first two plays of team it was a false start where Brewer didn't snap the ball and everybody else moved, and then the second one he rolled a groundball to to and then the third play was the Tyreek Hill touchdown. But let's go ahead and hear from Aaron Brewer on the snap.
Speaker 2: Big.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he had some slip ups, but you know that's just a part of winn practice right now. So that's where you want to slip up SAT nine the game. So you just learn in front of the mistakes and keep going.
Speaker 3: And that takes us right into our last break. We'll come back on the other side talk about the defense. We'll talk with Kendall Fuller here from Coach one more Time and do extra points Long one Today Draft Time Podcast, your host Travis wingfield brought to you by automation. One of the players I was most excited about adding this offseason who is returning big time dividends a couple of days into campus, Kendall Fuller, who is just so smooth, both in the physical aspect of changing direction, but also how he sees it to make those quick movements, just transitioning out of breaks, playing one step ahead of the offense and how they react. And that was evident when he triggered and shut down by himself a tunnel screen to Jalen Waddle for a loss on the play. Let's hear a couple of soundbites here from Kendall who has been providing us with some great insight into this defense and what makes it so compelling. Here he is talking about Anthony Weaver and what he's brought to the table so far.
Speaker 2: It has been fun.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 6: We all move around, you know, Jalen is all over the field. Sometimes we're playing right, sometimes you're on the left side. Even just within the defense, corners can be asked to do different things that a nickel would do, that a linebacker would do. So I mean that's what makes the game fun, just being able to have a lot of different responsibilities, a lot of different techniques that you gotta do. It makes the game fun. So we've been enjoying it. Man, we's been good, energetic fun. So definitely a guy that a lot of guys enjoyed playing for.
Speaker 3: So we keep hearing this idea of being able to line up anywhere and do anything from anywhere, right, Kalayis Campbell talked about it on Wednesday. Well I asked Fuller about how that improves communication on the back end when all these offensive backs have so much flexibility, again, a big point on the drave Time podcast all off season.
Speaker 2: How does that help communication on the back end?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think you just have a lot of guys that My biggest thing of no matter what position you play, is learning where everybody is, because you know once you know where, it's all about knowing where your help. It is knowing where your teammates are going to be, knowing their responsibility. You know they make a mistake, If you know what they're doing, you might be able to cover up for them. So it just it brings everybody together. Everybody is just working on being a better football player, understanding the game of football more, not just learn learning what you can do and that's it. So I think even from that, you're able to have all of us are always having constant communications and things like that because all of us have played all over the field.
Speaker 3: And from that we pivot to coach McDaniel's answer this morning when he was asked kind of funny because the initial question was Anthony Weaver has an impressive package, and I laughed. I laughed very very quietly loudly, if that makes any sense. And then the question was, you know, unfrilled from there is what about his pressure packages that that make you excited as a head coach on offense and a guy that calls the offense. Here here is Coach McDaniel on the pressure packages of Anthony Weaver.
Speaker 4: A pressure in it in it of itself, you know, everybody has that. It's about the how you are able to package that with like looks that can keep an offensive balance as well as have multiplicity where the pressure is gonna come from. I think, as as teachers, the our scheme here, you know, we even a staff, really do a great job of finding concepts that players can understand, and from from one player understanding all eleven so that you can put different pieces in different places so that that balance of keeping an opposing offensive balance while being sound and multiple. Yeah, everyone would like to do it. We're we're you know, confident that we're headed in the appropriate direction in that way because that we're trying to be as challenging that we can each and every Sunday. And I think it's a it's a playing that way, being able to do simulated pressures. Specifically, you can have blitzes and coverage that overlap. You can have technique that overlaps, which means you can be better at what you do while being more multiple. So I I think with that focus, the coaches have communicated the whole vision to the players very in a very good manner because I can see by how they execute their jobs that they understand it, and really how they strain shows me they believe in it.
Speaker 3: Let's goad and roll the defense and backs into the extra points. Because we are getting very long here on the episode. So the one on one portion of practice, we had our first one on ones today. Do more one on ones please, There's so much fun to watch. Jalen Wright absolutely shook Jordan Brooks on a Texas route sold the outside movement and then cut back across face and caught the ball and took off. But Brooks had the best rep of the day in coverage where he squatted and transitioned in phase off the outbreaking pattern of Devon h Chan and he like they completed the pass, but Brooks was right in his hip pocket and had the hand up in eight Chan's face and a chance catching everything because he's a freaking star receiver now apparently. But he was right there on this five yard out route and I've never seen it covered more tightly by a linebacker. This is a drill that is not favorable to the defense, and he was right there and Mike White put a great ball on Hchan for the catch. But I was so impressed by that one rep because like, that's Devon h Chan, that's four two eight speed that he just like had no problem against. Jordan Poyer won the one on ones, he was all over Julian Hill, Hayden Rouccie, and then who's the.
Speaker 2: Third tight I forget there was another title? Was it?
Speaker 3: I think it was Tanner Connor where they all tried to run like pivots or whips or China routes, like where you run inside, juke back to the outside of vice versa, and he stayed on top of all those and knocked him all down and then celebrated like this is not gonna happen against me.
Speaker 2: Boys.
Speaker 3: Zach Steeler was unblockable in the one on ones. That's probably not news to you. Onto the team stuff. Cam Smith two really nice plays in this practice, including a pass breakup where he covered Jalen Waddle that got my attention because Wattle's tough to cover. He stayed in phase, broke on the ball and made a play on it on the pass from Mike White. Chop Robinson had some more good work after that tough series against Patrick Paul. He blew up Jack driscoll and route to a run stop. He also completely blew up a bootleg where Skyler Thompson tried to boot off of the run action and he got the ball over Chop on the throw, but in live action Chop is running through him like Jack Parkman in Major League two running over Rube Baker behind the plate. DeShawn Hand had a massive run stuff, so did t r Tart. Both instances they got two or three yards of penetration. Malik Washington gets into the podcast with one of the best catches of camp so far, full extension, diving fingertip catch.
Speaker 2: That is what I saw from the rookie. He had a good day to day.
Speaker 3: Grayson Murphy had maybe the rep of the day on defense where he went up against Keon Smith and I love the rushman because and this is what Grayson Murphy did so well at UCLA. It led to one hundred and sixty two pressures over three years there and at North Texas, which was the most in college football the last three years combined by the way he understands like games and different paths as far as a rusher in your rush lanes, because he took this rush lane inside and condensed Keon Smith kind of like I talked about with Cam Brown trying it on Patrick Paul and the one on ones, and it worked. He got ke On to condense inside and then shortened that corner and disengaged with the outside or the inside arm rather ripping through and then flattens of the quarterback and he had a free run on a blind side quarterback.
Speaker 2: I think it was I think it was Mike White, might.
Speaker 3: Have been Skylar Thompson, but he was gonna destroy this quarterback because the red jersey, we're not doing that. I think it was a strip sack. Also saw Kalais Campbell unleash a wicked bull rush on Austin Jackson from a five technique for a pressure and probably a sack.
Speaker 2: And that was it.
Speaker 3: Man, that was a fun freaking day. And your quarterback is signed, sealed and delivered.
Speaker 2: Man, let's go. Let's freaking go, dude.
Speaker 3: I cannot wait for you guys to see to a firsthand because he's a different quarterback this year in the best way possible.
Speaker 2: He's better.
Speaker 3: He's a better player than he was last year, just like he's been every year so far in his career. And again, per reports out of Schefter, he and rapaport Tua signed, sealed and delivered. I haven't done my orange jersey predictions in the podcast, shame on me. Tell me if I forget that again next time.
Speaker 2: Please.
Speaker 3: My prediction today was Elijah Campbell, so I was wrong. I am zero for to now, though Anthony Walker was on my short list. So I'm gonna do this because it's so hard.
Speaker 2: To predict this.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna give you three names every day that I think will wear the orange jersey for Sunday. I mean, doesn't it make sense to announce Tua and then put him in the orange jersey and just watch the entire practice facility explode when he comes out to the field. That's what I would do, But who knows, we'll see. I thought he was the best player in the field. My second options river Craycraft. My third option is to von Chan and h Chan probably has a bit of a cumulative you know.
Speaker 2: Hat in the ring.
Speaker 3: As far as I have been really good for three days, give it to me then, But I think today to a cray Craft eight Chan Sunday. We'll see you guys out here. Until then, enjoy your Saturdays off. We'll do it all again in forty eight hours. In the meantime, you all please be sure to subscribe to the podcast. Leave us a RANKULLYIBS review, Follow me on social at Wingfold NFL. Follow the team at Miami Dolphins. Check out the fish Tank podcast with my guys Seth and Juice. Check out the YouTube channel for medi Availabilities, Dolphins Today, and so much more. Last, but not least, Miami Dolphins dot Com. Until next time, Finn's Up, Caroline Cameron, Daddy's coming home, gives me my kids to night for the first time and ten days let's go. What a great day is for the Wingfield.