Speaker 1: Drake making news again to let y'all know, y'all he don't like not like us. That's number one. Number two Travis Kelsey. He's a bad brother for a multitude of reasons. It could be football, it could be Taylor Swift. You don't know what he's gonna say, but you'll find out because he's here. Next on The stephen A. Smith Show.
Speaker 2: Holla, what's up? Everybody?
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Ladies edition of The stephen A. Smith Show. Coming at you as I love to do over the digital airwaves or YouTube, and of course iHeartRadio at the very least three times a week. As always, I like to pause to take a moment to take my subscribers and followers. We have now eclipsed one point zero four million subscribers, were rapidly approaching one point zero five. That would be about fifty thousand subscribers we've picked up over the last week and a half or so. I can't thank y'all enough for the love and support. Obviously you're giving it to me as well over iHeartRadio with the millions of downloads they've received over the last few months. Keep the love and support coming, and I'm gonna keep on coming. To continue to like and follow the stephen A. Smith Show, be sure to pick up a copy of my New York Times best selling book, Straight Shooter, a Memoir of Second Chances and First Takes, obviously in paperback right now. You can go to straight Shooter book dot com to get yourself a copy. Once again, that straight Shooter book dot com to get yourself a copy. And I usually say this before I let you know about my book. To continue to like and follow the show, just click the bell and you too will be notified of our newest content and you'll be considered the latest member of the Steven A. Smith Show family. We got a lot to get into today because I got my mayor, Travis Kelsey wait and okay, Travis Kelce wait, and I got to talk to my brother from another mother, all right, who obviously is gearing towards threepeating as a Super Bowl champion. Looking forward to talking to him. I think you'll be very interested in that conversation he and I are about to have, make no mistake about it. But before we do any of that, let's get started with some news out of the entertainment industry. And it's something that we've touched on before. Y'all Drake you know that, brother, He's going ahead and filed a lawsuit against his own record company, Universal Music Group for Kendrick Lamar's not Like Us. Attorneys for Drake say the song, which is aimed at the Canadian rapper, is an example of valuing quote corporate greed over the safety and well being of its artists end quote. Kendrick released Not Like Us last summer after a series of disc tracks exchanged between the two artists in the spring. On the song, Lamar calls Drake a pedophile and accuses him of appropriating black culture. Again. Both artists are under Universal Music Group Umbrella. Here's a portion of the claims in the suit, written by Drake's attorney. They claim UMG quote approved, published, and launched a campaign to create a viral hit out of a rap track that was intended to convey the specific, unmistakable and false factual allegation that Drake is a criminal pedophile and to suggest that the public should resort to vigilante justice in response end quote. Ladies and gentlemen, I'm torn, and i want to be very very sensitive to this subject because I'm a product of the hip hop genre and what have you. I grew up in Hollis, Queens, New York City, listening to run DMC. They're from Hollis. Jam Master J, the late jam Master J. God Rest his soul was great friends with my late brother Bezu god Rest his soul LL WHOJ grew up five minutes down the block on Farmers Boulevard. You know the joh Rules, the fitty sense of the world, and others from Queens. So for me, when I bring up hip hop culture, my initial response, which hasn't changed that much by the way, is go handle your business in that studio. See, Drake got sensitive with a lot of people when he went after DeMar Deroz and talking about you know what. You know he would not go for his jersey being hung in the rafters. You know when he was put off by Lebron James dancing to Drake's music. And you know when DeMar Derozen and Russell Westbrook and these brothers were on stage while Kendrick Lamar was performing. Not like us. They all from Compton, not Lebron, but they from La That's not a crime. So in that regard, I thought Drake was tripping. I was up the mindset like YO. Handle it in the studio. He got today, that don't mean he gonna get you next week. And if he got you, he got you. But if you got sent better something, the Eclipse not like us. Do that because Drake, you that great, you that special? What's the problem? Get in the studio and handle it like that. You don't handle it in the courtroom. That's not how you address contention in the hip hop industry when it comes to actual records being made. That's not what you do. And I stand on that. I firmly believe that Drake should do one or two things. Stand down and say he got me, or stand up by going in the studio and making another distrack of your own and making sure it Eclipse is not like us, what are the other I firmly believe that I'm not backing down or bound down from that. But I'm gonna tell y'all where Drake hits me and my sensitive side. Dare I say comes into play when you have to move your child and the mother out of elementary school, when he's being threatened in school, when the mother and the child have to move out of Toronto. According to the reports, that's what it says for safety reasons. When you've been accused and people think there's validity not just you know, lyrical dissection dissection, but literally they're attaching legitimacy to allegations and accusations of you being a pedophile. Then it gets a little dicey, tou jug I mean Universal Music Group. Both of them are under that umbrella. I'm not gonna look at Universal Music Group and say what it was a crime for them trying to profit off of you? Hell yeah. They trying to profit off for you in any way they can, whether it's through your music or somebody else's music about you. The record company. Of course, that's what they're gonna do. Cost that's what they're gonna do. One could argue they should be a bit sensitive to one of their own artists, but in their mind, did it compromise your bottom line? They don't think so. Did it compromise Kendrick Lamar's bottom line since he's under their umbrella as well? Damn sure didn't it? Big up, Tim, it's making him a boat load of money. That means it's gonna make them a boatload of money. And their attitude is they probably were expecting you to come back with even more material to go out him with and they could make money off of both of y'all. That's what they probably were thinking. That ain't what happened, because that's not what happened. And when you consider the level of sensitivity that's been brought to the equation, because again, he was basically accused of being a pedophile appropriate black coach. I don't want to hear all of that. That's a different subject for another day. But being called a pedophile, yeah, he's a dad in this universe. Is your own music, is your own music company that's promoting this stuff? Okay, all right? I understand I'm not as dog a as giinst it as I once was, even though I still wouldn't do it. I understand where Drake's coming from. I just think that ultimately he's defeating the purpose because in the end, you're a hip hop artist who's gonna want your music to be absorbed by the masses in the future because you're far from a finished product, and there's gonna be an abundance of people out there that look at this as a weak way to come at somebody like Kendrick Lamar, who came at you the way that he did. They want you to come back the same way or bow down to the fact that you got shook. That's how people are. I can see both sides of this. Before I could only see the one side that this looked weak to be using the Lord to come after an artist that took it to you in the studio. But I get where you're coming from. Now I do see it. I still wouldn't do it, but that's me a lot of people I know. But I understand why Drake could feel differently about this. I do. Coming up, he's a three times Super Bowl champion who is arguably the greatest tight end in the history of the National Football League. Travis Kelcey joins the show as the Chiefs attempt to become the first team in NFL history to three p and he may have something to say about his love life as well. He's Taylor Swift Ride right, he might have something to say. He might not. I don't know. I don't know. We're about to find out though. Next right here, when the Stephen Nate Smith show back for more in a minute, All right, everybody, listen up. The NFL playoffs underway in the college football National Championship is Monday. So with all that action happening, The Stephen Nate Smith Show wants to make sure you take advantage of it all. That's why we've partnered with Prize Picks, the best place to get real money action while watching your favorite sports. You see, with Prize Picks, you pick two or more of your favorite players, and then you simply select more or less on the projected stats for the game. Pick Patrick mahomes passing yards, Saint Kwon Barkley's rushing yards, Nakoli Jokich's rebounds, all in the same entry. And don't forget, Prize Picks is offering a free pick kick off your college football liner with a zero point five passing yards projection for Ohio States Will Howard. The free pick live now jump into the Prospects app or website to make sure you're not missing out. The free pick will be live until kickoff on Monday, So download the app today and use the code say Yes to get fifty dollars instantly after you play your first five dollar lineup. Again, download the app and use codes say Yes to get fifty dollars instantly after your first five dollar lineup. Prize picks. Hey, run your game. Now, let's look at my picks for Saturday's matchups. First up, Houston Texans quarterback CJ. Stroud facing the Kansas City Chiefs more or less than two hundred and twenty seven and a half passing yards. I'm going to go with more. I'm just going to go with more. I believe in Stroud, I believe in his abilities. He doesn't have Stefan Diggs, he doesn't have Tank Dell, but he can still fling that football. Kansas City has been shaky at times. I know, Spag Nolan, that defense, getting that you can cause some havoc. But for CJ. Stroud, this shouldn't be too big to accomplish. I'm gonna go with more on this one. Next up, we've got Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes up against the Houston Texans with more or less than two hundred and fifty and a half passing yards. For this one, I'm also going to go with more. This was shaky, I believe it or not, because Houston could get to the quarterback and I get that, And I don't think that Kansas City has the most stout running game in the world, So how the hell are gonna win this game. If Patrick Mahomes ain't throwing the football effectively, I believe he will. I believe he's rested, he's healthy. They're all ready to go. I think Travis Kelsey's gonna have a big game as well. And I think in the end, for Patrick Mahomes to chuk up two hundred and fifty plus yards is not a big ask. I think he's gonna do that in this game at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City. Next up, we've got Washington Commander's quarterback Jade and Daniels more or less than two hundred and thirty four and a half passing yards. Have you seen his brother play? I'm going with more. How the hell can we use the word less associated with Jade and Daniels Less losses? That's about it. That's about it, less drop it, that's about it. But when it comes to accumulating things that contribute to success Jade and Daniels, that word more is apropos. This brother special. He's a superstar in the making, make no mistake about it. I'm gonna go with more on this. Finally, Detroit Lions quarterback Jared Goff more or less than two hundred and seventy and a half passing yards. I'm gonna go with more on this as well, Ladies and Gentlemen's is the number one offense in the NFL, a top two passing attack in the NFL. They've got Laporter, they got James and Williams, they got a lot of cats. They got the kid Gibbs running out of the backfield. Offensively speaking, they got a lot of firepower in the Motor City. Thirteen dudes on the defensive side of the ball on injured reserve, they still blew out the Minnesota Vikans. Okay, ran them out of the building. These brothers come to bring it. And I think in a game like this, okay, with Washington, Washington's gonna do some things right. Jaydon Daniel's gonna get off He's not gonna panic in a big moment. And I think as a result of that, it's gonna call for Detroit to be more than they expected to be. And I think they're gonna ros to the occasion. And as a result, Jered Golf is gonna rise to the occasion. And the word more will fit where this is concerned. That's where I'm at with this all for these folks, y'all more and more and more and more strout Mahomes Daniels golf more because that's what we do at Prize Pect. We try to put more money in your pocket. You feel me. My guest is a former college football player and content creator with expertise in college football and the National Football League. He holds the new Up show on YouTube. Please welcome Prize Picks partner, the one and only Adam Brenneman. What's going on, Adam? How are you? You see my picks up there? You see my NFL picks up there? What are your thoughts? My man?
Speaker 3: What's up?
Speaker 4: Seven?
Speaker 5: I appreciate having me on man. My favorite pick you got is that Jayden Daniels more. I mean, Jaden Daniels is playing on a whole different level right now.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: The thing that Jayden does is.
Speaker 5: When he can run the football the way he does with his legs is it takes that extra defender out of the box and then that commander's offense is putting him in that second down and short, third down and short situation, which you know, yeah, that's where quarterbacks can thrive, man, because they got the threat of you can run the football. The defense has to play the run and then Jaden's able to take off with his legs or throw the football down on the field. Man that Cliff Kingsbury Jaden Daniels combo is a match made in heaven right now?
Speaker 1: You have any issue with me going with more with CJ.
Speaker 4: Stroud, No, I like it. I like it.
Speaker 5: I mean I The only one I'm a little nervous about is the Patrick Mahomes play on More. I mean the chief starters haven't played in three weeks now. Chief starters have been on the day they listen, they haven't played.
Speaker 4: Me a little rustier.
Speaker 5: They're gonna come out swinging on the first two three drives of the game. And you know, if if he doesn't play well in the first second quarter of this game, that may be hard.
Speaker 4: To hit that number.
Speaker 5: Uh that that that on the moral passing yards for him. So but that's the only one that lets a little shaky.
Speaker 1: Why why why wouldn't they, Adam, We've been off three weeks, But they should come out swinging. They're gonna be spread, spry, healthy, had enough time in the hot tub to thauna the cold pledge and everything else in between. They're good to go. They should to come out there with fresh legs. They saw they ain't been beat up. They might be a bit rusty, but they can work off that Russ instantly looking to air it out. What didn't you say?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: But the thing is that passing game is all about timing, man, and and you get three weeks off, you get three weeks off. It may not click the way everyone thinks it's going to in the first quarter of that game. So I think Mahomes will play well, but taking more on his passing yards in the in the first time he's playing in a few weeks.
Speaker 4: I'm a little shaky on that one.
Speaker 1: Overall.
Speaker 4: I like the picks though.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this for I let you before I move on from list of day who you got one in these games?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 5: I like I got the Eagles winning. Okay, I like at the end of the day, man, the the way Jane and Daniels is playing. I like the Commanders to win.
Speaker 1: Uh. The way the Commander is to beat Detroit.
Speaker 4: Yes, I like I like the command beat Detroit.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And it all to me.
Speaker 5: It all to me comes down to how well the Commanders have been playing on offense. And then for Detroit and Jared Goff. Listen, it's been it's been a Cinderella story for a long time.
Speaker 3: Everyone.
Speaker 5: Everyone's riding the Lions wave right now. Everyone's talking about how great they are. All the love around Dan Campbell. It's too much for me, man, it's too much. It's time that we get a big upset in one of these games, and it's gonna be the Commanders.
Speaker 1: Well how big of an upset would be if you got thirteen to fifteen dudes on injured reserve. But that's a subject for another day. Let me switch to college football because I can't believe that Notre Dame is going to be playing for the national championship. But give Marcus Freeman all the credit in the world for doing what he has done. You see my picks up there, Riley Leonard, Will Howard just see you know, love there as well of course, Traveon Henderson. I mean, any issues with the picks that I picked right there for you?
Speaker 4: Now? I like it.
Speaker 5: I mean, first, Will Howard, how about the free swear from Prize Picks zero point five yards for Will Howard. No one's doing it like Prize Picks right now, that's a free bet. I mean, that's the thing that's a little bit shaky. A little bit shaky is just the Riley Leonard passing yards. You know how does Notre Dame throw the football against a Ohio State secondary that's been playing really well and Riley Leonard. Here's the matchup I'm watching Riley Leonard when he's playing against the blitz is one of the best in the country. Riley Leonard against drop back when a team can win when the defense drops seven in the coverage only rushes four is one of the worst in the country. He's bad when teams aren't blitzing. Um, that's true because he's not comfortable in the pocket like that. So Ohio State now doesn't blitz that much. So it's gonna put Riley Leonard in a position where he's gonna have to try to win the game with his arm. If I'm Notre Dame, I'm getting Ryley Leonard out of that pocket. Let him create with his legs, let him make some things happen on the perimeter. I'm a little bit nervous about how well Ryley Leonard can really complete passes in this game. I think that'll be the struggle, and it's why I have Ohio State winning the game.
Speaker 1: How do you feel about Ohio State's Notre Dame rather its defense to gets Ohio State's offense. I mean, with the weapons that them brothers had, it's Smith and Nigmuka and Henderson and nose boys, how is Notre Dame gonna stop them?
Speaker 5: For Notre Dame, the key is gonna come down to tackling in space. Listen, Notre Dame plays Cover one. I mean, you know, man demand coverage, just cat coverage, right, you cover that cat and that's who you got. They play that Cover one one high safety and Ohio State doesn't face the ton of Cover one because they got those freak receivers Jerry Mina Smith, I'm Mecha booke A Carnel Tate. So that matchup against these Ohio State receivers will be the key to the game. If you want to play man covers though, for Notre Dame, you better be great at tackling the guy who has the ball. That's what it all comes down to. Can Notre Dame tackle in space? If Ohio State has big plays, it's gonna be ben if Notre Dame missed some tackles.
Speaker 4: Not because Notre Dame was out of position.
Speaker 1: But Adam, I'm asking you Ken they can they tackle in space?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think they will. I have this game being very close. I think Notre Dame keeps it tight. I think they they're able to stop some of Ohio State's run game. Listen, Ohio States offense wasn't even that good against Texas. They had fourteen points and then he add on a ninety yard defensive touchdown and he add on a seventy five yard screenplay before the half.
Speaker 4: That was kind of a flute play.
Speaker 5: This Ohio State offense wasn't clicking real well against against Texas. I think Notre Dame will be able to slow them down, and I think it's a really tight, back and forth ball game. I have Ohio State winning probably twenty four twenty, but Notre Dame keeps this one close. The key to Ohio State is gonna be their star receiver Jeremiah smith Man. He's gonna have to have a big day as an offensive coordinator, Chip Kelly, You're judge in these games by how well your best player plays. Jeremy smith is the best player on the field. He needs to have a big afternoon.
Speaker 1: See for me, Adam I'm gonna let you go, but I want to go by saying this. I think if it's close, it's Notre Dame. I think Ohio State. I got Ohio State winning the national championship, but I got them winning comfortably, pulling away in the fourth quarter. I'm just of the mindset that the closer it is, the more palms will get sweaty and backsides will get tight because all the pressure will be on Ohio State because Notre Dame has absolutely positively nothing to lose. Nobody expected them to be in this position. That's just where I'm at with it. Adam. I appreciate man, you you you coming on with this prospect segment. Thank you so much. I appreciate the breakdown, my brother, Thank you. Appreciate that me on all right, the one to know the Adam Brenneman Prize Pick's partner. Man knows what he's talking about. I hear him loud and clear, twenty four to twenty Damn. I'm scared now. I'm scared for a house state now, I really am.
Speaker 6: Oh my goodness, I couldn't wait to have my next guess.
Speaker 1: My brother from another mother. It's been a wild baby. It's been a while, but I mean we're talking about a future Hall of Famer at the tight end spot, one of the greatest who've ever played the game, the one and only Travis Kelsey of the rating, two time defending Super Bowl champion Kisa City Chiefs. What's up a big time? Are you doing? Man?
Speaker 7: Man, It's so good to be on here with this. It's been too long, Man, it's been too long. Mission big guys.
Speaker 1: I mean, I miss you too. I'm just saying, I mean, damn, how times have changed. I mean, the brother got the new Heights podcast, God damned near three million subscribers, about to win another Super I mean, every way I turn around, I'm like, he's living a good life. How is life treating Travis Kelce these days? Man?
Speaker 7: Man, I can't complain about a single thing. I wouldn't if I could, But I just I'm enjoying playing football right now at the highest level. You know, we're back at it. Punch started taking into the dance and we're rocking and rolling.
Speaker 3: Baby.
Speaker 1: You know what, I applaored your response because I thought the response that you gave to people that were acting as if y'all were running from or avoiding playing it wishing that you couldn't played it. But the Cincinnati Biggles, I'm like, excuse me, Yeah, he should have cursed the entire football world out for saying such a thing. Are you shocked at even after all the success that you guys have had, that you have people still chirping about y'all along the lines of something like that.
Speaker 7: You know, you would think that Andy Reid has gotten the respect from the rest of the league that every single time he's he's on the football field, he's playing to win the game.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 7: Obviously we have bigger fish to fry, and at that point, you know, getting healthy and ready for this this final stretch was the biggest thing. But Coach Reid, anytime he's there, he's making sure he's motivating and challenging guys to be at the best and go out there and play a you know, play a game to win it. And so I think, you know, everybody's gonna chirp and say what they want, but I know the integrity of the team here and we were going out there to win that game.
Speaker 1: Well, listen, my point is, I certain would not accuse y'all to losing on purpose or whatever, but I was discussed. I said, five first down to the whole damn game. I'm my good lord, have mercy. I mean, I expected better than that for the third year, for crying out loud, but it is what it is. At at the end of the day, y'all are raining two time defending Super Bowl champions. Do you believe y'all have a better chance of winning this year than you did last year or even the year before, you.
Speaker 7: Know, setting ourselves up with the with the one seed, having having everybody have to come through Arrowhead. I think this year it was such a different It was such a different team, such a different field.
Speaker 3: We were barely winning football games at the end of the game.
Speaker 7: So there is always that that feeling of we gotta be better, we gotta be better, we gotta be better.
Speaker 3: And right now we're playing our best.
Speaker 7: Football man, and I'm definitely feeling confident, confident heck that this team can make a run at it.
Speaker 1: Confidence there's no reason it shouldn't be there, Travis. But I got to ask this question. When you consider the fact that y'all have home field advantage and the road to the Super Bowl has to come through Arrowhead Stadium, I know that's a plus. But one could easily juxtapose that to saying there's a bit more pressure because last year, after beating Miami, they had no chance against y'all, whether the minute the mediaologist said it was gonna be the freezer type of I knew Miami was done. They had no chance. Okay, But then after that, you go up against Buffalo in Buffalo, you beat them. You go to the AFC Championship game against Baltimore, and Baltimore you beat them. So looking at that, could one make the argument that there's even more pressure on y'all now to be the first three peat Super Bowl champions in NFL history. But you got home field advantage, or if you could win on the road last year, why wouldn't you be able to win at home this year?
Speaker 3: You know, I don't think anybody challenges me more than me.
Speaker 7: You know, I put the expectations on myself and this team more than anybody could put it on put it on us.
Speaker 3: And that being said, you know, like you.
Speaker 7: Were saying that I've won in someone else's stadium, and I've won them in my stadium, I've also lost in my stadium. So handling this situation the right way playing, playing with the momentum of the not letting the you know, the game get too big, and and uh and and you know, I think the biggest thing is when you have home field advantage, you gotta set the tone early.
Speaker 3: You got to set the tone early.
Speaker 7: Come out hot and and let the crowd be a part of it, give them something to get riled up for and and cheer for, and let the other team feel like they're in a hostile environment. But you know, it's uh, it's it's all mentality, man, it's all mentality. And when we're doing out on the field, we love Arrowhead and how crazy it gets, but we know we got to handle business on the field.
Speaker 1: And by the way, I got to throw myself on the sword. Let America know damn it. I mean you my brother from another mother. But I've lied to you for years. I've been telling you I'm gonna get the Arrowhead Stadium and I haven't done it yet. So I come on, man, that's up.
Speaker 4: Come on me.
Speaker 1: It saw on me. I got to get the freezing ass Arrowhead Stadium. But let me let me ask you this. And I say this, half half you know, playing halfway playing, well, you're gonna stop lying to the American public and telling them you thinking about retirement. I know you thirty five years of age, you just completed your twelve season, but damn ninety seven catches, eight hundred and two three receiving y'ards. Okay, I'm looking at you this year. Andy Reid, ain't going nowhere. Patrick Mahomes, damn sure, ain't going nowhere. The Arrowhead Faithful ain't going anywhere. What what you're doing talking about? You might you might contemplate with time, and.
Speaker 3: For I'm it changes every single day. Man. I love everything that I'm doing in this building.
Speaker 7: But at the end of the day, you know, I'm not having that that extreme success on the field as I as I have individually.
Speaker 3: Man, But I'm excited.
Speaker 7: I'm excited for these next couple of games to play up in Arrowhead, to finish this season off, and I'll reevaluate it like I always do, and I'll probably tell myself how much I love this thing, and I'll come back next year. But it's just it's something that you have to you have to keep in the perspective, man. And and I never want to get to the point where I'm not helping this team win, or I'm hurting this team more than I'm helping this team. So as long as I'm coming out here playing good football and the joint coming into the building every day with my guys, you'll see me in a Chiefs uniform.
Speaker 1: Let me remind you of some stats. I just want to throw this out at you. Last year you had ninety three receptions. This year you had ninety seven. Now you had about nine hundred and eighty four receiving yards this year is and the eight figures, I get that part. They're the playoffs to Rob Travis and you had thirty two receptions with three hundred and fifty five yards. Okay, I mean I don't see the kind of drop off that you're alluding to educate football lovers out there about what it is that you think you might be missing now compared to what you may have had last year and years prior that has you contemplating stuff on a day to day basis.
Speaker 7: Well, the biggest thing is is some of the most fun you ever have in this game is having the ball in your hands. And that being said, making guys miss was something I always prided myself on and really like that was the staple. You know, I made the play more than what he was supposed to get. So if I got a deep cross of eighteen yards, I'm not just catching the ball and getting tackled. I'm turning that eighteen yard gain into twenty thirty forty plus yard game. And over the past years, being able to make guys miss just is it's got a little bit tougher, and whether or not they just know my moves and I gotta switch it up, or I gotta, you know, breakthrough tackles or find another way to trick them so I can make a miss. But that's the biggest thing is is being able to make guys missing space and getting those extra yards that aren't necessarily in the scheme of the play.
Speaker 1: You're confiding in me about it, so it's safe to assume it's a conversation you've had with Andy Reid, it's a conversation you've had with Patrick Mahomes. What have they told you about what they see from you out on the field.
Speaker 3: You know, I haven't really talked to anybody about this.
Speaker 7: You know, I think I'm still enjoying playing the game, and when I'm in the building, I'm working to get better and working to get you know, those that extra you know, strength of that extra quickness to be able to make guys miss It's it's a NonStop like staircase of success here and weekend week out. Coach Read has challenged us, our tight end room has challenged me to to do more of that throughout the season, get more than what we're just getting on the catch.
Speaker 3: And it's a focus.
Speaker 7: It's a focus that is uh that's been there since the since the since I've got here in Kansas City. And you know, I'm I'm not contemplating uh it too much, but at the same time, I'm always trying to be better than I am right now.
Speaker 1: Well, I got I got a personal complaint from my brother from another mother. I got a personal complate right here, and I'm gonna tell you what it is. Travis, you know when you used to go in the in zone, I mean, my brother got flavor. You understand, all white dudes don't have this kind of flavor that brother has. The Travis Kelsey and the dances that you will come up with in the end zone. I mean that stuff was epic. I think you kind of doll that back a little bit and dare I say you got a little bit conservative. Might be a spike here, you might slap a high five. I don't see the flavor, the celebrations, the dance moves that you used to rock anymore. I understand you ain't catching a whole bunch of touchdowns. I get that point. You got other people to do that for you. But you're still getting the end zone from time time, and I know you go do it in a What's up with that? What happened to that flavor?
Speaker 6: Bro?
Speaker 3: I mean what I think you just called called me out?
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 3: I think I need to get back to it. I think I need to get back to it.
Speaker 7: Matter of fact, the next one I get in there, I'll make sure I get jiggy for you.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: It's definitely a part of just loving the game. Man, join the game and.
Speaker 7: Having the showmanship to play with the crowd and play with the teammates, and and the excitement after you score a touchdown.
Speaker 3: So I think you just you know what, you might get me back into my old.
Speaker 1: Way, right, get back in your own way. That way, you're gonna stay a few more years in Kansas City. You don't need to go nowhere. We listen, We don't need, we don't need to be a Tyreek kill. I know that's your former teammate, and you love him, and I got in love for Tyree Hill. I think he's one. I love him to death because I think he's elite. I personally believe the biggest mistake. How do you leave Patrick Mahomes? How do you leave Patrick mahole that you want to get the money. But if you're go leave and you're gonna get the money, Travis, you can't go out and say your next quarterback is gonna be comparable to Patrick Mahomes. Could you at least give me that? Could you at least give me that, Travis, at least that.
Speaker 3: You know what?
Speaker 7: You know, loved the Cheetah and he was he was he was being a good teammates what he was being, so I respect saying it. And he was being hopeful and and and Tua came out and had an unbelievable year last year. Obviously he had the concussions and everything, but there's nobody like Patrick Mahomes and everybody knows that. But he was just being a good teammate, trying to shout out his new QB. We missed the guy and uh and I still love him to death. Man, the Cheetah will forever be one of the most explosive players that have ever played this game.
Speaker 3: And uh and and and a true brother to me. Man.
Speaker 1: Well, listen, man, let me let me get a little personal with you right here, because you and I have known each other for years. I got a lot of love for you. And you know me, I don't ask a bunch of questions. I ain't gonna ask one. I ain't gonna ask a bunch of questions now. But we're gonna get a little personal here for a second. Ruh, how's life my brother, Amy Travis Kelsey? Off the football field? You you you living a little bit better than most. I mean, could you explain?
Speaker 7: And I'm enjoying all aspects a lot that man.
Speaker 3: You are happy and I couldn't be happier to have that.
Speaker 7: You know, that confidence and that comfort off the field and all the support I could ever ask for in the stadium.
Speaker 1: Man, Yo, Travis, I got a confession to make, bro. What's all I never really listened to her music before I went to her concert, Yo, Travis. It's the greatest comfort i'ven't been through my life.
Speaker 3: It's off the change.
Speaker 1: I couldn't believe it. It's the greatest concert I ever been to in my life. I mean, and my daughter's hood with me because they got me to take ten of their friends. And that was two thousand Apartmas twenty thousand dollars on that damn concert, twent thousand dollars. By the way, I ain't got your money. I ain't got your money, Travis, I ain't got damn sore. I don't have her money. I can't, I couldn't. I said, just better be worth it, and I gotta confess it was so damn good. I went back twice. Steven Nickson, Oh yeah, I went twice. I went to two tailors Swift concerts, bro to Tailor show.
Speaker 3: She had you singing along the second time.
Speaker 1: You stand there and did and ain't that up? Ain't that's something? With that being said, when you look at your life right now, has that added to your football talent and your estimation or has it been I'm gonna compare it to a fighter, whereas you starving, you struggling, you going out there, you hardcore because you got to go and get it, and then all of a sudden you hit the jackpot with everything that you're doing, super Bowl championships, you know, herd in your life and what have you. It's the equivalent of waking up in silk for jump is it trying to go in that box and ring and get it done? Where would you describe your mentality to be at this particular moment in time knowing how well everything is going for you or both personally and professionally.
Speaker 7: Well, I think personally, you know, that's the beauty of being in a very strong relationship, is that you get that support to be able to come in and focus on your craft, focus on being the best version of you. You know, that's why I wanted to be at the concert, supporting her and being there for her, making sure she feels comfortable and supported and everything she's doing in life.
Speaker 3: And you know, I think, Uh, I'm.
Speaker 7: As focused as I've ever been on my job and being the best player that I could possibly be a weekend, week out for this team. And you know it's because I'm uh, I don't have to worry about things in the off the field.
Speaker 1: There were people that looked at you at the beginning of the season and felt like you were in in peak condition and they didn't blame.
Speaker 6: Her, but they were saying you being so supportive.
Speaker 1: Of her and traveling so much that took away from you. How did you feel when you were hearing that kind of noise about yourself at that time?
Speaker 3: Well, the first thing is you have to you have to be true to yourself.
Speaker 7: You know, people are saying things. You got to be able to reflect and look at yourself and see, you know, why are they saying these things? And I was still playing high did I was still playing at a high level, you know, knowing all that has been said, we were winning football games, which is all I ever care about. And on top of that, this building knew how hard I worked and how much focus I have on football throughout the year.
Speaker 3: So it's just what's true, what's real?
Speaker 7: And how how do we become better knowing that, you know, what I'm putting out on the field may not have been my best or how do I keep getting better throughout knowing that the roles have changed a little bit.
Speaker 1: What kind of conversations did you have with your brother Jason about such subjects. This is a guy that's a champion, obviously playing in the NFL for as long as he did, damn it. I don't even remember him missing a game in thirteen years for crying out loud. And by the way, I love your brother on ESPN. He's a welcome teammate. He's a really good he's a really good guy. I love talking to him whenever I get the opportunity to do so. But what kind of conversations were you having with him about how you were looking or how you were feeling at that particular moment in time, and how you were feeling about ultimately continuing your playing career.
Speaker 7: You know, I've been so fortunate to have Jason always two steps ahead of me. It's two years older than me. We followed each other to Cincinnati Niversity of Cincinnati, we followed each other to be under a coach Andy Reider, get drafted by coach Reid. And I've seen how it's done the right way, you know, both from on the field and off the field. I think my brother is a great model of success, you know, in the city of Philadelphia, just as much as he is at the Link And and I love him for it. And I don't necessarily even have to have a lot of questions for him, but just have a talk about life with him, and and I can get a lot out of that. Out of that, I think my brother, My brother's biggest thing is, you know, when you come into the building, do you still feel you know, the energy, do you still feel the excitement and uh? And do you still feel like you can do it at a high level weekend week out, knowing the seasons are only getting longer with the man in the seventeenth game and another playoff seat or another playoff team into the playoffs. So it's just hearing him talk about how the end of his career came about and how he how tough of a decision it was for him. I can get all all the you know, I can get sent in the right direction by just being here.
Speaker 1: I tell you this much. Man, I wish he had a retired because I think the Philadelphia Eagles would even be better off if he was still there. And then we learned after he departed that that was one of the reasons Jalen Hurts was struggling because he was deferring the Jason and you know, with a lot of stuff that was going on, I'm like, well, damn, how come you didn't beg him to stay? You should have begged them to stay in additional year or two. That's where I'm going with that. But I tell you this too as well. When I think about your brother and your new Heights podcast, I want you to talk about how that came about, how that unfold. You guys got what a two point five million subscribers with crying a line and deserve it, by the way, Congrata, it's one that I got. It's one than I got for the moment, damn it all right, and you deserve it for the moment. You know I'm coming, you know I'm always coming. But here's the but here's the deal. How did that come about? And how do you feel about you two doing that? And what kind of impact y'all are having, not just in football but beyond.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And you know, I think that's been the goal, uh, for a lot of football players in this league, is to set yourself up because we know this this game, it isn't forever, and you got to be able to set yourself for what happens after football. And me and Jason, we uh to be honest, we just we missed each other. We hadn't had those conversations every single week, and now we have two hours set aside every single week to.
Speaker 3: Talk football, catch up on things, and just beat brothers.
Speaker 7: And uh, you know you got that aspect of wanting to set yourself after, set yourself up after football. And then everybody always said before New Heights, me and Jason worked on two completely different sides of the spectrum. You know, he's a he still wears flip flops in the snow and I'd like to you know, bundle up and and and look fresh and uh and you know, have fun with the things that I wear, where Jason is just about a neanderthal in that world.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 7: And they they just never saw the similarities until you get us into the same room and hear us talk at like a lunch table, dinner table. You don't really realize how close we are as brothers. Knowing that we're only two years of pardon, I've been following him throughout my entire life, man, So I wanted to show showcase that and let people know, you know, how strong of a bond and how much we support each other and what a true brotherhood looks like.
Speaker 1: Well, now that you've done that, what do you too like talking about most outside of football? I'm talking about outside of football on the podcast, the kind of information or the kind of subject matter you want to disseminate to the public. What do you enjoy tackling most?
Speaker 7: You know what the most fun I have is UH is talking about my childhood, my love for sports, and what really sparked me to get into the profession that I am that I have today. And I think having ex players come on and having the stars of my childhood and and and UH and Jason's childhood come on and talk about what made.
Speaker 3: Them great and just the stories of you know, what they went through.
Speaker 7: I think that's the fun part is being able to just talk to Jason about our childhood and tell the fun stories about being in the Kelsey household as well as you know, the things that we love to do as kids and now as adults.
Speaker 1: Are you prepared and as Jason prepared for the fact that as y'all continue to grow and shine, because the podcast is not going away, as your audience grows, I know you're going to want to continue to do it. With that being said, you're going to have to find yourself being a bit critical of folks out there when they ain't getting the job done, when they mess up and you as a three time super Bowl champion, him as a champion. When you think about what y'all are bringing to the table in that regard, are y'all prepared to have to deal with.
Speaker 3: All of that?
Speaker 7: And you know what, I think that's what makes guys like yourself so good is the ability to be true. And I think You've always been true to me in my career. You've called me out on numerous times, and I've always accepted that, and I've always, you know, reevaluated what I've been doing because you do. You always keep it real and you always keep it honest. And that's why I love listening to you, big dogwas. I think I think that is a talent in itself. I meet personally. I like to shine light on everybody and everything. I don't really like to take too many shots of people unless I've been truly disrespected.
Speaker 4: So it is, it is.
Speaker 7: It has been a bit of a challenge being able to call things out and be confident and try and be critical without chopping somebody down.
Speaker 3: But it's definitely something that that I'm working off for shore I try.
Speaker 1: I try to make sure I don't get personal and that a guy knows that when I'm being critical of you, I'm not rooting against you. I'm telling you you ain't doing what you're supposed to be doing. Your ability, your ability to do that. You get that. I get that, Jason gets that. But you know as well as I do, not just in the NFL, but in professional sports, there's a lot of cats that don't get it and don't embrace it that way. How do you deal with that?
Speaker 7: Well, what's real and what's not real? I was talking about it earlier, about watching film and seeing, you know, how how the success I've had in the past is compared to the success I'm having now. And I think it's the same in the media. You know, somebody's saying something. What's warranting them for saying that?
Speaker 3: Why? What's the reasoning for it?
Speaker 7: You have to be confident in your abilities, but also confident to just keep trying to find ways to better yourself, better your team and uh and you always got to separate reality from from what's not real. And what's real for me is the building I walk into, the faces that I go to work with, and uh, then the people that I love at home, and you know that's what that's what you really gotta know, differentiate and be comfortable in your own skin.
Speaker 3: Man, you can't get.
Speaker 1: Yeah, appropriate question to ask with that Lombardy Trophy hanging above your head right there.
Speaker 3: Y'alls on the shine to it.
Speaker 1: There you go, there you go. That ain't your office, though, I mean, is that's your crib?
Speaker 4: I got you so.
Speaker 1: So here you are on the verge of possibly being the first team and that NFL history to three P as Super Bowl champions. It's one thing to compartmentalize and say, we just hear we going for the chip. Obviously y'all said it on stage after y'all beat San Francisco in the Super Bowl last year. We going for a three P first team in order to pull it off? What would that mean to y'all?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 7: You know, I've always been trying to chase greatness my entire life. I've been so fortunate to be able to come here to Kansas City and have to fill the shoes of a guy like Tony Gonzalez. And then, you know, when when you start to have your own success, you start to really feel the urge to keep to keep being greater than what you've been in the past, and no team has ever done it three times in a row, man. And I don't know why, but last year I felt like I wanted it more than I had in previous years because it was the Upper Echelona teams that had gone back to back, you know, they were considered dynasty teams that were considered teams that you know, took over an entire decade of football and remember forever, and those teams being able to get it and done a third time all fell short. And I see that as an opportunity to be the greatest dynasty or the greatest you know, team of the decade, however you.
Speaker 3: Want to call it.
Speaker 7: But I just have it in me to really want that for the guys that I've gone to war with in this building and have seen work so hard to be able to get it to this point.
Speaker 1: Man, Travis, let me throw this out at you, bro. Travis Kelcey all time NFL rank as a tight end. Receptions third behind Tony Gonzalez and Jason Whitten, receiving yards third behind Tony Gonzalez and Jason Witten, touchdown catches fifth all time. If you three pet is it possible that in a month's time.
Speaker 6: Travis Kelsey says, I did it three re peede it.
Speaker 1: Look at my numbers. I'm done. My football career is over.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 7: You know I think, uh, I think, I'm I'm so deep in chasing this one right now. I can't even fathom what football would be like. Uh not in like not playing football as a profession. Man, I still love coming into the building every single day. Does it get hard, Yeah, but.
Speaker 3: I'm not. I'm not doing it for the stats. I'm doing it for the greatness.
Speaker 7: Uh the legacy that we've created here in Kansas City with with Pat, with Chris Jones, with Coach Red, Coach Spags, you name all the guys in the building. Man, it's been It's been so much fun coming in the building with these guys. So I can't fathom what it would feel like just being able to say I'm I'm satisfied, because I'm still hungry to go and get something right now.
Speaker 1: You know, I remember when Time Brady was winning Super Bowls. He had a supermodel for a wife that wanted him to retire. Uh is miss Swift? Is she encouraging you to continue to play or to retire because it is a violent sport and she don't want her.
Speaker 7: She's fully encouraging me to enjoy playing this game. And uh, she loves coming to Arrowhead and coming to the games and cheril for me. So I got all the support in the world to keep chasing these dreams.
Speaker 1: Andy Reid the best coach ever, the.
Speaker 7: Greatest to ever do it, even with Belichick out. The wins are there, the super Bowls are there. He's gone every everywhere he's gone, he's won, and and he's done it in a in a way that's that's so much respected by everybody that plays for him.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you noticed. Andy Reid and I go back to my Philadelphia days.
Speaker 3: I love that. Oh yeah, I love that.
Speaker 1: Man. I'm gonna talk to him soon. But Andy Reid, what makes him special? I know he knows what he's doing as a football coach, but I'm talking about from a personality standpoint. For him to be his age, to be around as long as he is, and to be so relatable to the modern day player while still having structured just every coach can't pull that off. How does he do it?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 7: He's tough, and he shows his toughness every single day. He shows his desire to be at his best every single day. I'd laugh about it all the time. I never see his truck leave this parking lot. Man, this guy loves, loves being accountable and loves coming in and being his best for this organization in this city. And I just I think it's a unique blend of being able to be relatable to everybody. No matter how old he gets and how young these players are getting in the league, he always has the ability to relate to guys.
Speaker 3: And that's big in the football world because these days, these days get long, and.
Speaker 7: You know, it's just it gets difficult coming in and doing the same routines for twenty weeks out of the year. So being able to relate to everybody, being able to have that toughness to respect out of everybody, and on top of that being true, he's always real. He'll tell He'll tell you when you're slacking, no matter if you're an a time Pro bowler or the rookie on the team, He'll tell you when you're slacking and when you need to pick it up. And and honestly, because you relate to him so well and he has so much toughness, it typically just turns into a challenge for you. To get better and uh, and I think he does that better than anybody in the league, on top of just being able to be creative and have fun, uh, you know, making up these plays in the building and always putting his players in the best place to the best situations to have success on the field.
Speaker 1: Two quick last questions before I'll let you go. Patrick Mahomes three super Bowl titles in five years. If y'all had an offensive line, that would have been four.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: But at the end of the day, here's what it comes down to. A lot of people look at him and they say he's the best ever ever. Others look at at Joe Montana four rings, Others look at a Pat Tom Brady seven rings. The three peat will cement it, okay, but without the three pat, you look at Patrick Mahomes right now, based on the guys that I mentioned, he's the best on the planet.
Speaker 7: To you ever, best ever do it, the best ever do it? And and to be honest, I think, you know, obviously I'm a little biased. I think I've been on the receiving end of a lot of Pat Mahomes throws that have just blown my mind that he.
Speaker 3: Could even make these throws. Sometimes but his ability, his natural ability.
Speaker 7: To make plays, him make plays, break break tackles, throw the ball across the field. It's it's he's done it in a way that no quarterback has ever played this game. And uh, and he's won at a very very high level. Uh, you know, with with the world count them out a few times and and I think that, uh, you know, his ability to lead, just like Coach Reid, and his ability to come in and motivate guys and make guys better on this team is second to none, man. And I just uh, I see it every single day, just like I see it with Coach Reid. His attention to detail, how fast he thinks, how fast he can get the ball out, his ability to make every throat and then on top of that, you got the wins and the Super Bowls to do it.
Speaker 6: Is there somebody that you think is the toughest competition waiting for you?
Speaker 1: Or does it matter?
Speaker 7: I said this on on New Heights, Man, I want to play the best man, whoever that is, whoever were presented. I want them to be at their best, and I want it to be you know, a challenge that's uh, that's worth fighting for.
Speaker 3: Man. I just love I love this time of the year. I think it's it's my favorite time of the year.
Speaker 7: I've been hoping I can press fast forward just to get to this point, but know that the NFL doesn't work like that. But whoever, we we get an arrowhead, I'm fired up and I'm ready to compete and just give them, give them our best.
Speaker 6: My very last question, is it all right for us to call you a swifty?
Speaker 4: Is that all right?
Speaker 3: I'm the number one swift.
Speaker 1: Number one right, even even more than Mama, even more to Mama, she seems to be a swift.
Speaker 3: Now I'm right there. We're neck and neck. We're right there, we're tired at the top.
Speaker 1: Nothing but love for you, my brother. Is so good to see you. Man. Now you know I'm gonna catch you down the road. I'll be at the super Bowl. I'll try to get the arrow head before I can't make any promises what it's cold, Whether it's coldor can't make any promises. But I miss you, my man, and and yes I'm coming on New Heights. When you call, man, I'll beat there.
Speaker 3: You're the best ever do it.
Speaker 1: Steven appreciate thanks a lot of my men. Everyone right now needs to stop what they're doing and listen up and listen good. With all the big time sports action that's happening each and every day, NFL games, NBA games, and the college football playoffs, Steven A. Smith Shiw wants to make sure you are taking advantage of all of it. That's why we partnered with Prize Picks, the largest fantasy sports platform in Older Land, to help you cash in on all your sports knowledge you see. Prize Picks is a daily fantasy app where you pick two or more of your favorite players and then you select more or less on their projected stats for the game. Choose from any of your favorite players, say Kwon Barkley, Jaylen Brown, and Steph Curry all in the same entry. Then sit back, watch and chill. The list is endless, y'all. And now with prospects Flex Friday Option, you can still cash out even if your lineup isn't perfect. That's right, every Friday, just look for the protected play so win or your cash back and get this. Prospects Now offers MasterCard for quick and easy deposits into your account during this sports season. Make your picks in less than sixty seconds and turn your sports opinions into real money all season long on Prospects. So download day app today and use code sas to get fifty dollars instantly after you play your first five dollar lineup. Again, download the app and use code says to get fifty dollars instantly after your first five dollars lineup, Prospects run your game, thanks again to the man himself, the one and only Travis kelce Travis Kelcey and I go back a long ways. You know, he's a cool brother, and I don't comment about people's personal life, and I ain't about to start that now. Let's just say I knew him long before Tiller Swift ever came along. I know what the brother's about. I know what kind of brother he is, and he's truly one of those people that's like my brother from another mother. He's just he's just that cool, that relatable, that down to earth, that decent as a as a human being. He's real good people and I've always had a lot of love for him. I don't get into a lot of intimate personal details about people personal life. I know y'all were expecting that. Damn that shit. I don't do that. Okay, whatever, he wants to tell, he wants to tell. He ain't asking me about my personal life. I ain't asking you about yours on that level. Say what you want to say, Okay. But he's very happy. He's happier than I've ever seen him. He's at peace with himself, seems to have found his rhythm in life, per se, And what can you say about it? He's one of those casters gonna be around for a very long time the minute he leaves the business. I mean you already see his new Heights podcast. You know over two and a half million subscribers for crying a lout him and his brother Jason Kelsey doing their thing. Travis, he ain't going nowhere. He gonna play football for a little while longer if he wants to. He'll contemplate whether he's gonna retire or not after this season is over. But he's definitely got a career in an industry, not just in podcasting, but in television. What network ain't gonna want to hire him to talk about NFL football? Who's not gonna do that? Okay? And then, Lord help you if things go even further with Taylor Swift, I mean, my lord, he'll be the most popular football player in history, not because of football, so I mean, and that's what a hale. That's with Hall of Fame credentials, so the sky's the limit for him. But he's truly one of those people who deserved it, and I'm really really happy for him, and it was good to see him and it was good to talk to him as well. I hope y'all enjoyed the conversation as much as I did, because I really did. And I still don't know if the Chiefs gonna win it, because I got to tell you, Buffalo or Baltimore, they got what it takes to take the Kansas City Chiefs out of here, and I think the Roy if they met him in the Super Bowl, got what it takes. I don't know if they beat the Chiefs or not. Who the hell knows who's gonna be Patrick Mahomes, But the fact that they got a chance makes these playoffs very, very interesting and compelling, which means I'm looking forward to the games to come. So I hope y'all enjoyed the show, and I hope y'all let me know that in the days to come. Until then, I'm about to sign off right here. To stephen A. Smith, I'm out until a couple of days from now. Peace and love, everybody. Take it easy.