Speaker 1: Come to Sharper Square, presented by Hard rap Bat.
Speaker 2: We are part of the Volume podcast network.
Speaker 1: This is the show that makes the squares sharper and makes the wise guys pay attention. I am Chad Millman. I am joined as always by my bff, my companion, my compadre, professional vetter, Simon Hunter Ella Simon.
Speaker 3: What's our brother?
Speaker 2: Well, look, we're.
Speaker 1: Feeling good because it was kind of a drama free day. One one score game today. Going back to Thursday night, so far one one score game the New York j e Ts Jets, Jets, Jets. They got in the win column, the Dolphins were redeemed, the Bills avoid to trap.
Speaker 2: None of those games were in our Simon.
Speaker 1: However, our record on the day is three and one. We had the Texans at plus one. We liked them up to two and a half. That's where it landed. We had the Patriots minus six and a half. We liked them at seven, that's where it landed. We had the Giants plus seven and a half, that is a bummer. And we had the Broncos minus three and a half, no sweat. We have the Steelers at plus three and a half. Tonight against the Packers, last On's in last games in today. I think we're kind of the Pats and the Giants and the last ones out. I think we're the Saints, the Jets, and I guess the Ravens. We'll talk about all of these games. We're going to get to our early leans for Week nine, and we'll get to some viewer questions and comments as well as we dig in. But let's let's kick it off with that New England game. Like I said, we had the Patriots minus six and a half. Here's how it came down to New England. For me, I was stretching this morning. This one was my arm rotation from my frozen shoulder, and it just occurred to me. We've been talking about the Patriots all week, and we had been bouncing around between a bunch of seven point games, and I just thought to myself, Dylan Gabriel cannot score touchdowns in this game. He absolutely will not be able to score. I don't care about anything else. We ended up putting them in. It was against the wise guys because this line had moved to six and a half in a lot of places.
Speaker 2: The last thing I said this morning.
Speaker 1: Before we made the pick, I believe the Browns are susceptible to big plays. I feel like our overall analysis on this nailed it. I can't believe it took us so long to commit to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say your confidence probably wasn't this level. At half. It was looking like frustrating the game of the professionals do bet where it's like the Browns basically pulled the Patriots into the mud, got a really flukey opening drive touchdown, and we were sweating because it's like May was just making bad plays, bad decisions, and they kept giving them opportunities. Like you said, the way to attack that Browns team is definitely through the air in the secondary right, they're tough to run against, but they had a bunch of opportunities passing and second half May got comfortable totally different, Like you saw him do what he should do is move the ball down the field. And what we talked about all week, Gabriel is just not a starting quarterback, let alone on the road in a hostile environment like that. So he looked good on that opening drive. But other than that, Yeah, that was a really good button. Yeah, glad that we stuck with it because it was a type of game that if it was minus seven and a half, probably wouldn't have missed it. Honestly, I really loved it was because it was minus six and a half of minus seven, It's like, well, those are good numbers. Could be laying on a push. We could, of course, but no, we leaned into it, and yeah, no doubt or that were clearly better team today. The Patriots.
Speaker 1: Well, Dylan Gabriel, by the way, the first drive looked like he had been playing for ten years. Three for three, one hundred yards. Yeah, touchdown. And it's funny you mentioned halftime. So in the first half, Miles Garrett had three sacks and a forced fumble, and he had five sacks on the day. And I kept looking at this game, and the Patriots went in at halftime up nine to seven, and actually, wasn't that anxious. I said to myself, They're one touchdown away from covering this, and I don't think the Browns can score again the rest of the day. And we have Mike Vrabel who was so freaking good, and that first drive coming out of halftime, very first drive they started the second half, Miles Garrett could not be stopped right, So what did they do? They had a trip play that ran counter to the rush. They were rolling away from Miles Garrett. They were pitching the ball on runs that cut inside the lanes where the rushers were coming upfield. It was the perfect drive, no penalties, seven plays, seventy seven yards, five runs, two passes. Can't sack if you don't drop back, and that's exactly what they did. And then all of a sudden they get aired out like they had multiple plays. The next drive, I think they had another touchdown. It was two plays of twenty plus yards, including foty yard touchdown backs to Keishan Boudi, Drake May's favorite player.
Speaker 2: So just awesome. They were awesome. I love them. I loved Drake Mae.
Speaker 3: No. It was great, but great win.
Speaker 2: Good for us, very good for us. By the way.
Speaker 1: The one thing I want to say, because we talked about Dylan Gabriel after that, after that three for three start, I think he had like nineteen total yards or something like that. It was really it was insane after the first drive he was he was after the first drive, nineteen plays, forty three yards after starting six for seventy in the first half. So good for us, good for the Patriots, New York Football Giants crushing. I mean, this is our last one in We were sort of we didn't know what to do. We took out the Ravens obviously because of all the Lamar stuff, and we're gonna we're gonna get to that. We didn't buy out of it, and we actually said on the show we're sticking with it, but we did. We decided not to put into the contest, like we decided to go with this one because of injuries to the eat goals across the you know, Aj Brown, plus in the secondary, plus on the defensive line and the offensive line for the Eagles, and then Camp Scataboo, Like it kind of took the air out for me. It felt like after that it was a little bit of a dead bet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, honestly, I watched every second of that game.
Speaker 2: The refs were just terrible, like terrible.
Speaker 3: The game flipped in my opinion, on that touch push, which yes, the announcer said, this isn't the end zone. There should not be. If you reach forward with the ball and you are still that's momentum. You're moving forward, your hands are moving forward with the ball, it can get punched out like you're not down and your momentums not stop. So that was that game of the Saints game. The Saints had a really lucky like the Bucks had a touchdown on a rain on whistle blue, so they brought the Bucks back.
Speaker 1: Ran into the end zone three different times today on three different plays, all.
Speaker 2: Of which the whistle blew before the play.
Speaker 3: Was just ridiculous though, like it's same as you again, like these refs need to swallow these whistles, Like we can plain all the time, but it is ridiculous. So that was absurd, Like just every little thing fell get wet again.
Speaker 1: Just to such a scene that was in the first half. The game was still very cool. Seven the Sakoon Barclay had that sixty five yard run and the Giants went right back down and scored. They looked fantastic, like Jackson Dart was slinging the ball and like looked really comfortable and their defense was playing well, and they get that fumble cave on Thibodeau on Jalen Hurts and the rest blue the whistle and the Eagles score touched on after that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then like there's still a much opportunities to where the Giants were in the game, like they had a long touchdown got called back, so the guy guy pushed off when they're clearly hand fighting. It just you're gonna have games that just go against you like that with the reps, like we just couldn't get any calls our way. All the key moments went the other way. And once again Jalen her it's playing really well, like he just killed us in this game, like a couple of big throws where it's like he's just when he's on there, it doesn't matter. There's no Aj Brown in that type of game. Like when he was on he was sitting guys deep all over the field. Like we talked about the run game, you know, Saquon gets hurt, the backup comes in, tanks Bigsby, and I think he rushes for one hundred yards. So yeah, the Giants just got rolled, bad bet and just brutal on a day where like we've talked about, we got pretty much every game right, one of the games we put in. Like I think we both agree looking back, why do we not just put the Colts and over the Giants or whatever it may be? Those always those always hurt you. Where you know, kind of hated the Giants and we ended up on it anyway and we got burned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that one was really disappointing. There was a play the Giants were keeping it close. They were down early in the fourth. They're down twenty four to thirteen. Eagles have a second and third, Brian Burns had just gotten a second sack in the game.
Speaker 2: They give up a thirty one yard run to Tank Bixby.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for the fact, not even Saquon like that was a backbreaker. And then even right after that they scored a touchdown. It then even down thirty one thirteen because it's a seven and a half point spread, the back door sort of always open, right, and the Giants nearly made it close. You're talking about that long touchdown pass from Jackson Dart.
Speaker 2: I can't remember who the receiver was. It was a great play.
Speaker 1: It was total hand fighting all the way down the field, and the refs called the pass interference OPI called it back.
Speaker 2: That's sort of the ballgame. Brian day Ball at that point.
Speaker 1: Was so apoplectic, like and like it was so funny because he didn't know what to do, and he just took his headphones and just shoved him on top of his head as hard as he couldn't look like they were like squeezing his face, Like his face was so puffy and red and angry and he's just squeezing the headphones.
Speaker 2: He was so mad. I do wonder are the rest going to have to do?
Speaker 1: So, like, is there going to be a call from the league about these whistles because it happened in a few different games.
Speaker 2: It happened.
Speaker 1: It happened in the Cowboys game, in the Cowboys Broncos game as well, So that was and it's weird that it happened multiple times today and everybody was noticing it. So that's going to have to be I think that's going to be a conversation from the league this week.
Speaker 3: I still like the idea that now that New York is involved and we're so openly about New York making calls for the refs, Yeah, give them one universal challenge every coach gets to make that they challenge a call on the field no matter what the rule is, whatever it is, that it can be a return, which I'm talking like fast interference, those type of plays where the westle blew a play dead like it's the momentum all of it. It just changes so much dramatically. I remember they tried having that challenge with the pis a couple of years ago after that Ram Saints game, and it didn't work because it was the refs working in collusion to get rid of the rule because they were just so mad. I think it was like a overturn rate. It was like dead on arrivals. So they got to figure out something. It just if New York is going to be involved, let's just get it right, like we always say, no one would complain if we just got it right, And that's that's all. At the end of that we want, like it's it cleans up a lot of the game. When the refs are changing the game so much, it should just one challenge a game, that's all we ask. Where it can challenge one call on the field.
Speaker 1: I don't know why you limited to a challenge. I think they should expand the rule of what can be overturned by the officials. And they've already.
Speaker 3: We're not killing the play, like I think that's you're about to say, a whistle killing the play is just brew.
Speaker 2: That's what I mean.
Speaker 1: So the whistle shouldn't be if well. There were also a couple times where there was no whistle blown that anyone could hear like they were running. They were running the plays back in real speed without any other audio, and there were no whistles, and they're calling the play was dead off of a whistle. So why do they have to have a universal one time challenge on plays where the whistle shouldn't be blown, wherefore progress isn't stopped, where the officials can then overturn it in the same way they can do with a turnover. So that's what I'm saying, is like, if there's a question, let that be a challengeable play, or let that be something that is reviewed an instant review from New York.
Speaker 2: That's what I think they should do.
Speaker 1: San Francisco at Houston, Simon says, Look, we loved it all week and we were not sort of dissuay by Houston flipping and flopping a little bit from one point dog to one point favorite, then getting up to two and a half. We sat on the show this morning, we liked it up to two and a half or really up to three. But boy man, for a game they completely and totally dominated from the get go. They made every effort to let the Niners sneak in the back door on this one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we joke it's it's always scary when a team, you know, in the first half has three hundred yards, has the ball for what was they say, thirty minutes or something insane and they give up that late touchdown. Insane throw by Mac Jones, insane little window to kill again. I know you're not the biggest Mac Jones fans. I can't get over some of the flaer as a kid makes where it's like he is getting pumbled in that game. He's getting hit every play, and like you said, we were never out of it, like he kept us. He made that we had to watch that game unto the fourth quarter, which is just ridiculous. Mean, you should have been able to turn that game off at half because Houston dominated that much. But yeah, they're just there's something up with Houston them just not finishing in the red zone. And you know, it's it's hard to get mad at a quarterback that's number one, number two receiver or out of the game like he's thrown to ye kid Higgins who's a rookie, and you know it's just not ideal. Yes, yeah, so it's like and it worked, like we said, though if if he doesn't have pressure in his face, all the injuries to foynineers have had, they're just their defense as a shell. It's like they don't give you so much. So amazing spot, unique spot for Houston. And yeah, like you know, Tuesday when we talked about it, I gave it on the basis of this is gonna be a pro team appro spot. The public will build over the forty nine ers, And as the week went along, you saw the number kept moving, like you said, opened as a dog, closed minus two, minus two and a half. So those are those are the nice, nice times to be a pro because it's like it feels like you're the smart guy in the room because like again, everyone I knew was like trying to tell me how good this matchup is for their forty nine ers, and it's just like this Texas team, they're not with their record shows and we saw that in the game. So the Colts have pretty much ended their Texas season, I guess divisionally, but Texas all have a chance, got that wild card. It's not they're not going to give up. They're a good defensive team, they got weapons, so big, big win for them. Twenty six fifteen. They needed that type of win.
Speaker 1: The Bears and the Texans. And we're going to get to the Bears and the Ravens in a minute. But had similar first quarters. As I was making my notes, the Texans dominated, completely dominated. They had just in the first quarter they had one hundred and thirty eight yards to the Niners nineteen twenty three plays to the Niners, four, six first downs to the Niners zero, and they had the ball for thirteen minutes and nineteen seconds of the fifteen minutes in the first quarter, and they were only up six to nothing. Yeah, and at least like they did continue to dominate. They got up thirteen nothing, they got up sixteen nothing, and then they had sort of a catastrophic final fifty one seconds. They let Brian Robinson run the ball back a kick off after they won up sixteen nothing. They let him run it back to about the fifty and they had a face mask and then Mac Jones got the first first down of the first half for the Niners. And then all of a sudden, they're in the end zone at sixteen to seven. They were getting the ball back to start the second half. Because the Texans defense is so good. This year they were to stop them and then they were able to actually score to go up twenty three to seven.
Speaker 2: But man like it.
Speaker 1: Was, it was the lack of pressure that allowed the Texans to continue to drive the ball down the field. We talked about it. You just mentioned it to put a stat against it. They only pressured the quarterback on nineteen percent of his forty plus dropbacks today. That was to us the key to the game and why we were betting it. We just didn't think the Niners, as much as we love Sala, they didn't have the horses to really get to the quarterback and make a difference for them.
Speaker 2: But wow, like the thing that I want to know, I want your take on this. CJ.
Speaker 1: Stroud had three hundred yards passing his issue and as the game went on, he started to throw the ball downfield more and more. You know, the first few drives classic CJ. Five yard dump, five yard dump inaccurate, bad screen.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: It looked like it was going to be a frustrating day. They started to get better. They started to convert on third downs schematically, Did we see anything in this game that we can take forward as we think about the Texans because they have such a good defense. Did we see anything that could help complement this defense?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess I think they're gonna be a borderline playoff team, which you're the Texans. That's the most you can ask for. You don't. Coming in the year you I greted them as one of the worst offensive lines in all football. So I remember we joked people were just taking them down the division because it's like everyone else in the division is a joke, and that's the view of it. It's like no one thought this was gonna be a good team, a contender. They're just not built right. So for me, it's just keep approving through the draft of the years. But like, no, watching them today, there's just I just can't see them challenging the Colts for this division. They just you watch the Colts and you watch Houston. It's two totally different worlds. One just looks like I'm machine offensively, totally in rhythm. Like you said, everything's hard for CJ in this offense. Even on days like today where the run game felt like it was getting seven yards per carry for Houston, still felt like CJM miss throws and it was tough at points for him. So yeah, I just I'm confident in them to be a playoff team potentially, but not confident in them to be one of the better teams in all football.
Speaker 1: Houston had four hundred and seventy five yards. That was more than twice as many as the forty nine Ers, who had two hundred and twenty three. They had seventy five total plays. The Niners only had forty four. So what does that tell you.
Speaker 2: About your boy Mac Jones?
Speaker 1: That he was able to make this as close as it was, and like he basically did it in three drives. He had like three good drives then enabled us to have to sweat in like the only game we really had.
Speaker 2: To sweat today.
Speaker 1: So good on Mac. He's not going to be the starter, but good on Mac. Dallas at Denver Denver minus three and a half. This was Chad's choice.
Speaker 2: Our biggest fear.
Speaker 1: Of betting this game was bo Nix. And you asked me before we came on the air, what did I think when I saw that play. I'm going to tell you that true. The first pick, the first pick, that's right, the first pick from Bonnicks on the first drop. I think it was the third play of the game. I was so hungry at that point, Simon, after the early games, and that Broncos game started so much later that I hadn't turned over to multiview yet.
Speaker 2: I got up and I went.
Speaker 1: I got myself some carrot sticks, and so I missed the first pick. So when I got to that game, the Cowboys were scoring a field goal, and so I only saw the good stuff.
Speaker 2: So if I had seen that.
Speaker 1: First play, I probably would have pulled a Brian dayball, like I would have been apoplectic. But because I didn't have to see it, I felt great the whole day because they kind of dominated.
Speaker 3: I was thinking of you last week when we had that really bad night. Obviously we went two and three with Houston loss for us. So it's like one in the morning, and I thought of you because I had a bowl of Count Chocula. Do you know what Count Chocola is?
Speaker 2: I know what Count chocolate is, all right.
Speaker 3: It's one of the last things remaining on this planet that tastes like the nineties. It tastes like disappointment and plastic.
Speaker 2: It tastes like the seventies, dude.
Speaker 3: And they haven't changed the rest of the guy blossom, but it is just terrible for you when I eat it. It's a true depressing meal. Uh, it's only only to get it in this Halloween type of thing. And I was thinking, if Chad ate this bowl of cereal, he would combust. I feel like you would just explode.
Speaker 2: I would turn into Dracula in the sunlight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, seriously, loove, but no, it's uh yeah, it's this is the type of game that we thought exactly was going to be cheat this Broncos game Like that's as a handicapper. That's why today has been so fun. All these games effect for the most part we talked about gone these ways and just Deck incredibly talented. But you saw that offensive line get him off his spot. He had multiple turnovers on the flip side. Next other than that one turn played against air, he just was passing. It was like a seven on seven.
Speaker 2: It was a practice game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the run game picking up ten yards a clip. You know, the Cowboys they're making a publicly know right, they're trying to get mex crowds. They're trying to get a Trey Hendricks. You're they're three or four guys on that line away from having a defensive line. So yeah, Dallas is gonna be a fun team. They're gonna somehow maybe be a playoff team. But in these type of games, like I feel like we nailed it, where if you have an offensive scheme at like Sean Payton, and you have a defense and can get pressure with four or five guys, that's gonna be Dallas's weakness if they just faced a jugging out offense like themselves and they can't put up the points themselves because they just can't keep up with all the pressure in Deck's face. So uh, yeah, great Reid, get great Beck because a lot of pros, a lot of guys talking love for Dallas this week, So uh glad we stuck with that one and never never wavered minus three and a half.
Speaker 1: We never wavered. And I will tell you right now your support for this that meant everything to me, not even kidding like you loved it.
Speaker 2: You kept saying you loved it.
Speaker 3: I'm like, all right, well we're fight over on Tuesday, not fighting. It was like both of us won day and you took it. I took another game.
Speaker 1: So yeah, no, it landed how we thought, Yeah, great would land And if the Broncos just changed their uniforms to those old school blue helmets and those jerseys.
Speaker 2: Just do it. It would be great.
Speaker 1: I love those unis. They look fantastic, they play fantastic. It's awesome.
Speaker 2: Good for us. Those were the four games we had on the day.
Speaker 1: Let's do a quick word from hard Rock and we're going to get to We got to get to that Chicago Baltimore game. We'll do that right after this so word from hard Rock. Today's show is brought to you by our new presenting sponsor, hard Rock. Bet Weekate wraps up with Washington and Kansas City.
Speaker 2: Listen to these streaks from hard Rock betstats up.
Speaker 1: You can find live odds to bet on all of the streaks in the bet app. Kansas City is on a fourteen game winning streak, is home favorites. Deebo Samuel scored a touchdown.
Speaker 2: In four straight road games.
Speaker 1: If you haven't tried your first bet on hard Rock Bet, there's still time for you to get one hundred and fifty dollars in.
Speaker 2: Bonus bets if you win. Just place a five dollars bet and if it hits, you get not only your winnings, but one hundred and fifty dollars in extra bonus bets.
Speaker 1: There's new promos every day, so if you're listening to this later, just open the app and check out what you've got any day of the week. Payable in bonus bets, not a cash offer offered by the Seminole Tribe of Florida. In Florida offered by Seminoal Hard Rock Digital, LC and all other states. Must be twenty one and over and physically present in Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, or Virginia to play. Terms and conditions apply. Concerned about gambling in Florida called one eight three three play wise in Indiana, if you were someone you know as a gambling problem with want help, call one eight hundred nine with it gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler in Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, Virginia.
Speaker 2: All right, so Chicago Baltimore.
Speaker 1: Baltimore was a six and a half point favorite in this game. Obviously massive controversy. We covered it this morning. Had a little rant the arrogance, stupidity, obfuscation by John Harbaugh in a week in which the biggest betting scandal since legalization had taken place with the NBA and Terry Rozier and Chauncey Billups and Damon Jones to have the audacity and stupidity to mess around with the injury report and Lamar Jackson, maybe he's living in a hole, maybe he hasn't come out of his film room, but you got to be self aware enough to know the situation with your league and how its relationship with operators has changed the way gambling is viewed and the way the integrity of the games reviewed. The fact that this happened, and I know the NFL has said they're going to investigate, was just, honest to god idiocy. You and I decided we were going to stick with the Ravens at six and a half, and that was partially because we liked Tyron Huntley better than Cooper Rush. So that worked out really, really well. I have some thoughts on the Bears, but I want to get your take on how you were feeling about this game as it started.
Speaker 3: Yeah, honestly didn't waiver though, because it was s newpuntling and it's like if it was you know, a different scenario where it's a quarterback. I don't trust and I've made it a lot and clear about that. I just do not like Cooper Rush in this offense. I would add to a bio all my positions. It would have been an absolute nightmare. But got really lucky, didn't budge even though the line had moved, what four points against US? Five points against US?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the seven down to two and then it went back up. And by the way, I meant Tyler Huntley, not Tyron Huntley. Just call them snoop you want to be called snoop snoop, snoop hop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just the exact game though of you just trust the spot and the numbers, and if you can lie to yourself about the quarterback position being semi decent, it was an automatic spot for this Ravens team. We went through all the trends, everything like that. Just the Browns, I mean the Bears, they were over achievers walking into an absolute deaf trap. So, and you're gonna have feelings about Kayleb Williams and a lot of things that went wrong with that offense today. They were never gonna win. You guys win this this type of game. You guys go in there, you win, like play well and win this game outright, you got to start taking them serious as a contender in the division, Like, this is not a wildcard team, this is a legit team going on the road in a really tough environment against the most desperate team in football, Ravens fair to say like they lose this, oh my god. So yeah, just just a nightmare spot for the Bears. I'm just so happy for our fans that it covered, because it's like, nothing is more sickening than us getting a number hitting it, giving it out on the show and then, like you said, feel like we were misguided and lied to it and now we look like idiots because an organization kind of pulled the rug from Ethos. So so happy it came through. But my god, when that game first started, I was like, like you said, Bears were playing so well to start the game. Why did we not tell people to get out of this position? My god? But yeah, like we said, as the game went along, you saw it's just the Ravens defense even showed up, the run game showed up. It just all clicked today for that Ravens team.
Speaker 1: Well, look, they did some of the things that we talked about. Were they going to bring Kyle Hamilton into the box to improve their rush defense. Yes, they did that often where they going to lean and Derreck Henry and the Russian game. And after that first quarter, the Bears went down the field pretty easily, but they only got two field goals, and you know there were That's sort of the difference because in the first drive of the second quarter, the Ravens just run the ball down the field with ease. Derrick Henry makes everything look like they are just he's sort of just dragging guys behind him.
Speaker 2: And like after that, the Bears got.
Speaker 1: Unscripted and they didn't know what they were doing anymore. And one of the questions and comments from one of the viewers that's watching right now live is does Caleb Williams have a little bit of that Trevor Lawrence in him?
Speaker 2: And I'm not gonna.
Speaker 1: Lie, That's exactly what I thought today. If you look at Trevor Lawrence's stats, We've talked about this so often on the show.
Speaker 2: He looks like he's a good quarterback. He looks like he's.
Speaker 1: Earned the guaranteed contract, and he's continued, you need to climb. If you watch the games, you see the bad decisions, you see the miss throws.
Speaker 2: You see the mistakes, you see.
Speaker 1: The things that turn them from having a chance in a game to no longer being in the game. And we saw that from Caleb today multiple times, and he is normally not a guy who throws picks. And then, of course Jim Harbaugh. I thought the John Harbaugh made a very good decision. And it was fourth and five late in the game. They're up twenty three sixteen, They're in Bears territory. They could go for it, they could try to kick a field goal. Instead, they took the five yards. They pinned the Bears back. Caleb throws an interception deep in his end zone. The Ravens then score a touchdown on the following series, and that to me kind of was indicative of what you get from Caleb, which is and trevoralence, magical throws generally good stats, not the kind of plays that help you win the game consistently. That was my take on this game. And also this defense is terrible, truly terrible. Dennis Allen is a terrible coach, irresponsible the way he coached this team to not be ready for the way the Ravens are going to play this game. The only thing that usually brings me joy when the Bears aren't doing well is watching Matt Eberflu's coach in a game in which I have bet against him. I couldn't even take Joey and Eberflues today because his team is so banged up he had no shot to stop the Broncos. So instead, I got no joy from this game other than the fact we covered. But as a Bears fan, As a Bears fan, I want you to ask me what I texted to my son today after the game.
Speaker 3: Just tell us and the cats and the train them and then when you're coming home, Na, don't don't?
Speaker 2: I said.
Speaker 1: At some point during this game, I asked myself what would it be like if I decided I.
Speaker 2: Was no longer a Bears fan?
Speaker 1: What would I what would I honestly gain in my life? What would I lose in my life?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: How would my Sundays be different? How would my week be different? How would I think?
Speaker 2: You know? It's like when you're a fan, you're a fan of the Eagles.
Speaker 1: We're all fan of like, we love football, We're invested in these teams, not like it doesn't ruin our lives, but it makes me sadder than happier and this team just makes me sad and frustrated.
Speaker 3: Let me counter some of your points about my dear friend Caleb Williams. Right, we know where you stay at, Killer Williams, Chad, you let it chose Troy Aikman over them. You're just me and all the Bears fans have shunned you.
Speaker 2: And by the way, last week, it couldn't have been happier. He was enjoying the game.
Speaker 1: He was talking about his Hammys and pulling is getting pulled muscles on the treadmill, and like he was, he was joyous last week.
Speaker 3: Well, we're all ready, as the actual Bars fan on this show. We're ready for you to walk away from this team. And Caleb Williams, it's I told you it's gonna be ugly. It's gonna be bumpy, man. He's learning an incredibly complex offense and he's a number one pick. I mean, let's be honest here on this show and run through all the number one picks of the last twenty five years. It's not a beauty. It's not a pretty list. Chat it's an ugly list where Peyton Manning worked out it's a bunch of just shit and turns there fourth. I mean, Joe Burrow got to a super Bowl that was fun. Number one pick Stafford, he won one that was fun for drafted Stafford.
Speaker 2: You're naming great players, Stafford.
Speaker 3: I know that.
Speaker 2: Joe Burrow, Jared Goff, Baker Mayfield.
Speaker 3: Like out, dare you come on? I'm just saying it, but like like it took those guys years. You know what I mean. It took Jared Goff and Baker years to get right. I just take time with Caleb. I'm with you, like he's twenty three though. I just he looks like an idiot. He plays like an idiot. It's he's so young, the league is so hard. He just he has so many bad habits. He needs to get beat out of them. And that's what you have the perfect You have a psychopath as a head coach. He will beat these things out of him over time. And if it doesn't work again, you have a psychopath a head coach. He will move on from Caleb Williams. You have no worries out of you, So I get it. You want to be upset and stuff like that. Like I I see these plays too, and you're just like, dude, get rid of get the bolldy of your hand. Stop holding on to it so long. It's never It never works out for him when he holds onto the ball and try to improvise. So we'll see. I still believe in the talent. Like you said, he still makes throws every now and then when he does push the ball forward with his feet, when he does run forward, not backwards, he actually does make good plays with his feet when he's not going backwards. So I get where're coming from, brother, but just give them time. This offense is complex. I just this was a horrible spot for the Bears. They were doing before the game even started.
Speaker 1: I've never been happier to have Caleb Balloons as my quarterback then having the Ravens minus six and a half when they're up thirty to sixteen with thirty seconds left and the Bears try to run a sneak, they can't get in and so they have to rush the final play, and you know that the play design clearly calls for some kind of quick pass, and Caleb doesn't release the ball when he's supposed to and just sort of sidearm flings it out of the back of the end zone. So that way there's no chance, there's no risk that they're going to go for a two point conversion and cover the six and a half. That's when I was like, I'm not sweating this right now because there's no way the Bears, no timeouts are gonna be able to unpack this one literally from the offensive line back into the backfield.
Speaker 2: So you know, that's just how I feel.
Speaker 1: I'm glad we wont I feel we got better's justice today. You know that's what we got. We got better justice. Good for Snoop Puntley. I got a little bit more about him later in the show. Quickly, I just want to say on Tampa Bay and New Orleans, because we're done talking about the Saints, they're not a wise guy team. I don't want to hear about them being a wise guy team. We saw the end of Spencer Rattler today. Fumble on the first series, pick six from his own two yard line to a defensive lineman. He got benched for Tyler Shuck. Tyler shocked through interception on his first series. Anchwine Winfield was in the end zone more than the Saints were. Thank freaking god, we didn't sucker ourselves here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but another team like again I know you hate them and you're saying that this is a not a sharp team, but what are you gonna do when you have receivers fumbling the ball as well? Like it just there, Like you said, they're a bad team that keep shooting themselves on the foot. It was seven three at half, and the only seven that Tampa scored was that. Yeah, so it's like, I get it, I get what you're saying, like you hate him, but there is a reason people are betting this scene. They're not that terrible. It's just they're like Tennessee, everything that could go wrong goes wrong for them. They're just these these bad teams of football now are just so bad and for them to cover like the Jets, they need ten miracles in a row. It's like it's just a weird thing right now, these teams that are really bad and the Bucks they they should like I know you said you thought this was gonna be easier of Ron for Baker. I told you, just Baker's off right now, he's injured. They're banking.
Speaker 2: It wasn't easy. It was not easy.
Speaker 3: No, that like he I think one hundred and fifty yards if I'm not mistaken, is what he had passing like just Baker was off today, but the Saints gave them five turnovers and Baker will kill you every time with that. He won't he won't make the turnover. You'll just have his off day, not make the risky throws. And uh, you know, even their running game, they only averaged like three yards of carry or whatever, it was three point two yards. Yeah, so the Bucks bad spot. They're just this is what I love about good teams. They showed up in other areas, which was their defense, and they dominated. Like like you said, Spencer Rattler looks like he's about he's already out of the league. Like I gave him all this praise two weeks ago. He is horrible. These last two weeks just bad reads. And uh yeah it's uh it's trade. The trade deadline's coming up, Saints. You have some really good veteran pieces. You shouldn't move them.
Speaker 2: On last game. I want to talk about We've got to get to it. The New York Jets. What did we say on Tuesday?
Speaker 1: What did we say on Tuesday?
Speaker 2: Take the Jets money line?
Speaker 1: Start spreading the new we said take the Jets money line?
Speaker 2: Boy, did they make us look good. They worked hard at it. They had to score.
Speaker 1: Breese Hall had to score three touchdowns in the fourth quarter, including a touchdown pass on a halfback option with one minute and fifty four seconds left in this game, for the Jets to win thirty nine thirty eight.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: I can't wait for the headlines in the New York Post. I can't wait for the press conference this week with Aaron Glenn, who's gonna make it sound like he's a genius. Justin Fields thrown for two forty five. That's about twenty five percent of all the passing yards he's thrown for this year. Magnificent, magnificent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And we definitely talked about on that Tuesday show that at that point Joe Flacco, if you bet against him, you could have got plus two to seventy on the money line with that Jets team, and you know, before kick That's why I love watching the market, because it's just interest. Since how the money dictates the work and how it moves. It closed up plus two to fifteen that money line. Yeah, So it went from on Tuesday plus two seventy to close at plus two fifteen. Some books close with them at plus five and a half that Jets team. Yeah, so I mean, geez talking about the ultimate sweat, like you needed so many things to go your way to cover that number, and not even just cover it, you went outright. It's why we talk about how stupid football can be, why we love betting these dogs, and this year it's just it's just not the pressing. You're sad, but it is in a sense that, like I don't bet the money line around robin dogs like I used to. I'm really heavy to bet an ound money line around Robin favorites because it's what cash is. And again, like this with the Jets happen not every week but every other. It felt like, now just you don't get these stupid upsets like this, and like this week it was all chalk. There was this upset, Miami's upset. Other than that, it was all favorite like it just all favorites outright. So I just I love these type of games. You can go back and watch it a thousand times, like they kept showing the fans and the stansy since you fans, and they knew like we all did at home, that it was over. Even when Joe Flacker got the ball back, still up six it's just football is the best that way. You can just you just you've lived it so many times you know it's gonna happen and doesn't matter what you do, you can't stop it. Like we all knew it was coming, so you know, all the fourth downs, all these like insanely random plays that worked with Justin fields today. Like you said, he passed the ball really well. And you know, in a week where his owner's throwing him under the bus, under the boss joke of an ownership, one of the worst owners in the league, for him to go out there win that type of game, thirty nine points on the road. Yeah, what a great, great feeling if you're a Jets team. But I don't know about their fans. They're probably upset, right, they don't want to win anything now they're one of them. But I think you'll be all right Jets fans.
Speaker 1: I still think I don't anticipate no a run.
Speaker 3: Like as a fan, you only get one or two a year. Jets through that bad That was That was a great all timer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was truly truly fantastic.
Speaker 3: The Jets Denver they lost, I know it's England. They lost eleven to thirteen. Panthers. They lost thirteen to six. I mean they're not that like again we're joking Aaron Guns a back coach. They haven't given up on them. I give them credit for that. Three straight weeks one score games, they've been in it. They've been fighting in these close, ugly games. So my god is the Jets experienced terrible but huge win for them. Now they have a buye a week. Who knows, who knows what it could be for them going for They got Cleveland and New England coming up.
Speaker 1: Simon, it's time to play. Shame shame, shame.
Speaker 3: Shame on you, Shame on you NFL officials in that Giants game. I just I know it's lazy, but I just that's the only thing that really got me mad this week. Like every team we bet on, I thought they played well. Even Jackson Dart, I thought he played well enough to cover for us. So I really came be mad at the players, came him out, of the coaches, just the refs. They might have ruined me and Chad's perfect four oh day. What could have been? What could have been? I have really fun videos I'm ready to post for our perfect day, but got away for another week. We're not perfect yet.
Speaker 1: My shame, shame, shame. Pregame, no doubt about it.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: It was John Harbaugh. But postgame, shame on you. Shame, shame, shame. Cincinnati Bengals defense against the New York Jets.
Speaker 3: Same same, same, shame shame on you.
Speaker 1: You were up thirty one sixteen against a winless team with a quarterback who had thrown for a combined ninety one yards in the previous two games, with two minutes left in the third quarter.
Speaker 2: You had this game wrapped up.
Speaker 1: In the fourth quarter, you give up a touchdown and a two point conversion. You're up thirty one twenty four. Then you score, You're up thirty eight twenty four. Then you give up two more touchdowns. You give the Jets the opportunity to win their first game of the year on a half halfback option with a minute fifty four left. Brisol, before he might get traded, had three touchdowns in the fourth quarter. The Cincinnati Bengals defense gave up more than five hundred.
Speaker 2: Yards to the New York Jets.
Speaker 1: They gave up two hundred and sixty yards rushing to the New York Jets. They gave up two hundred and forty five yards passing to the New York Jets. This is an offense that had not been able to score more than a touchdown. You gave them three in the third quarter and you let them win the game. Shame, shame, shame on the Cincinnati Bengals. Love it, Simon, Who is your hero of the week.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna give it to my guy, James Cook. Interested news talk a little bit about it. I was heavily bet invested in the Buffalo Bills today. I know we didn't talk about much on the show, but it's people, don't I mean, I can talk. I guess more about me taking position on money lines. But heavily invested in that money line of that Bills team. And Chad knows a little funny story to him before the show is taking that check. Gave me eh why to my belove of the Bills before our show this morning. But I mean, Cook, something's up with Josh Allen. You cannot look right in this game at all? Yeah? Cook cooked? He did though like two sixteen two touchdowns. I think he broke off his sixty five yard run. Sixty four yard run just unreal when it's going with that Bill's running attack, and you know a game where Josh Allen didn't have it, he didn't need to because that running attack was so dominant. And yeah, I guess I could also go to Andy Dolton. He was also here in that game. But now Cook for me, just a guy that we always ask why he's not get more touches in this Bill's offense. And I think Joe Brady's coming around to it. It's like, I get you want to rotate guys in and out. Just let cook cook.
Speaker 2: Like Chad said, my hero of the week, how could it not be Snoop?
Speaker 1: Only this is a guy who got cut by the Ravens a year ago, played in Miami, went to Cleveland, got cut by Cleveland this year.
Speaker 2: You think the Browns might one a competent veteran quarterback who is careful with the ball and knows how to run.
Speaker 1: Then he's on the practice squad back with the Ravens and they prefer Cooper Rush, who after two games averaging six and a half points, they finally decide to go to Snoop Huntley.
Speaker 2: And what does the guy do? What does the guy do?
Speaker 1: Seventeen of twenty two for one p. Eighty five and one touchdown. He gains fifty three yards on the ground. He didn't make mistakes. He proved that he.
Speaker 2: Could move this game and this team down the field.
Speaker 1: He got them in the end zone, He got them out of challenging situations. He made passes on third and long when he had to make the right pass to the right position, to the right guy, to the right shoulder. Snoop, Huntley saved us from looking like bigger idiots than we normally look like on this show. For that, Snoop, you are the hero of the week. I'm sharper square all right. Simon says, you had Houston minus one Chad's choice. I had Denver minus three brass Balls Baltimore minus six and a half, rock and a hard place. We had New England minus six and a half.
Speaker 2: Sharp versus square.
Speaker 1: I had the New York Jets plus six and a half. You have Pittsburgh plus three and a half. Our favorite parlay Pats Bills, Denver Colts. We said, you know, cut it down to minus five and a half. We also got the Chiefs minus five and a half.
Speaker 2: So that's what four.
Speaker 1: And oh right now? And then the underdog parlay Steelers Jets Saints Giants bear, So that's a loser of a bet, Early Leans, Simon, And by the way, just a reminder, we are on Pittsburgh plus three and a half tonight. I know people in the check we're asking and we said off the top of the show, we've been on Pittsburgh plus three and a half the entire week, Simon, Early Leans, for you, I got some if you.
Speaker 3: I mean insanely fishy lines this week. People be incredibly careful because my opinion could change come Tuesday. But Chiefs are minus one and a half against the Buffalo Bills. That is a line I will take on that Chiefs team right now, Like that's the Bills. Maybe they are, maybe they have fixed some of their issues, but I still think they have problems defensively, and Andy Dolan didn't exploit any of those problems. So I like that Chiefs number, even though I know it's very very Joe public. Right now, Seahawks minus three against Washington next Sunday, What in the world is that number? Seahawks, even if Daniels is back, they feel like a much better team than this Washington team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, defensively for sure. Right they're playing like like They're just solid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's a banged up Daniels Seahawks on the road as well, totally different teams. So minus three early number. I will take that as we sit here right now as well. So back to back road chalk for me to start it off.
Speaker 1: Jeff, I saw Detroit minus eight and a half against Minnesota.
Speaker 3: Already minus nine at hard Rock.
Speaker 1: Well, I'd still take it at nine, you know, because then I'm risking to push versus eight and a half fair, But I have no reason not to bet this team, and I have no reason to bet on Minnesota. Is the quarterback going to be Jj McCarthy against this Detroit Lions team that has had time off at home where they just dominate all the time.
Speaker 2: No reason to not back the Lions.
Speaker 1: Until they show us they shouldn't be trusted at home as a big favorite.
Speaker 2: So that one stuck out to me.
Speaker 1: Pittsburgh is a home dog against Indianapolis stuck out to me. I'm obviously gonna wait until I see what happens tonight in that game. But I also the other game that immediately flagged was Kansas City minus one and a half. I saw that, I'm like, oh yeah, that's that's a that's a game. We're gonna bet right now that those were those were the ones. All right, final review we.
Speaker 3: Had, I'll give I'll give one sharp line. Yeah, Houston plus one right now at hard Rock at home against Denver.
Speaker 2: Oh that's interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, still still market not valuing this this Houston team. It seems like they're a little bit overvaluing that Denver team. So well, for sure, we'll see where that number goes. My my incant reaction is I could see that flipping. So I'm gonna grab Houston now as a dog.
Speaker 2: All right. Uh.
Speaker 1: We had today the Patriots minus six and a half. That was a win, Denver minus three and a half.
Speaker 2: That was a win.
Speaker 1: Houston plus one, that was a win, the Giants plus seven and a half, that was a loss. We have the Pittsburgh Steelers tonight plus three and a half to round out our final five. This has been Sharper Square presented by hard Rock Bet, part of the Volume podcast Network.
Speaker 2: We'll be back with.
Speaker 1: Our next Sharper Square on Tuesday to go over the entire NFL Slate Watcher listen on.
Speaker 2: YouTube at Sharper Square.
Speaker 1: Like this video, subscribe to the channel. Download us from Apple Pods, Spotify, wherever you get your pods.
Speaker 2: Rate, review, subscribe, we lose five stars. Say whatever you want. Feedback is a gift. Until next time, Love you