Speaker 1: Hello everybody, and welcome to episode eight. I've been there, Dean that we just got back from a trip, but we're not going to talk about that trip just yet.
Speaker 2: I thought that's what we were talking about today.
Speaker 1: I was prepared, you are prepared about it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought you said we were going to talk about it this week.
Speaker 1: We are Aruba. We're doing back to back apps. We're doing an episode pre Aruba and the next episode will be Aruba.
Speaker 2: What's pri Ruba? What are we talking about today?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm so glad you asked, kailin, because today we are going to be talking about something we mentioned in last week's episode about Guatemala. Do you know you can guess use that big brain Ireland, use the big brain in your big in your regular size head.
Speaker 2: Ireland. No, we already talked about Saint Lucia.
Speaker 1: Yes, so we're just going to do it a little quickie on have a sup? I have a sup? I falls So Kaitlin and I this was back in November of twenty nineteen, started dating. We had been dating since June. So what would that be? Four months? Yeah, we were fresh, five months. We were fresh. I think that everyone at least now has to know of have a sup Eye. At the time, it was still very very popular, but it's only just grown in popularity since then, and it probably will continue to grow in popularity. But it's something that had been on my list for a very very, very very long time. Did you know about how a Supie before we went to it?
Speaker 2: No? And I was just thinking, I don't think that many people know about how a Supy, like I think a lot of people do in our sphere. I'm putting myself in that sphere because I've done a lot of hiking with you, But like the hiking photography, there's no other word but sphere, sphere. Those people kind of know about it, but I don't think a lot of other people outside of that know about it.
Speaker 1: That's surprising because a person like you of Indigenous descent, you'd think, you know, there's a drive down there. I know from the Midwestern tribes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think every Maybe I'm a bad Native American, but I don't think we know about every tribe and in location and what they have to offer.
Speaker 1: You're not and I'm not saying that you are bad Native American whatsoever. I was just trying to be facetious I suppose, but yeah, so have a Suphie is a very well known indigenous population in northern Arizona. It's it's well known for its waterfalls. Specifically, there's one waterfall that's about one hundred feet tall. To have a sup Bye Falls That is maybe the most breathtaking waterfall I've ever seen in person. I would venture to say the most beautiful waterfall in Northern America. I wouldn't go as far as say, in the entire world.
Speaker 2: Because I think there was in America that, but we have to take an into account Canada.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so like what Niagara, I.
Speaker 2: Was thinking, BAMFP has to have a cool waterfall.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's just say this. It's the It's easily the most picturesque waterfall in the Western United States. Sure, maybe it's just so beautiful and everyone had talked about it. My brother had done this hike years prior and listening to this podcast, if you've listened to it for a while, you'll know that I'm obsessed with my brother and I want to be more like him in every single way that I possibly can be. He's always raved about it, and I have just always always wanted to do it. But it's hard for me to have done stuff like this, Like, yes, I would love to do it by myself, but I would rather do it with partners and my friends in Los Angeles. They ended up doing it later on, and I wish that I had reached out to them, like trying to like catalyze this idea, but it never happened. And then so when I got a girlfriend, I was like, oh, great, I can just drag her along with me on this.
Speaker 2: And boy was I dragged.
Speaker 1: You were, Yeah, you were dragged. So what we did was we hopped online. We had like a weird window to make it work. We went in November, so I think that's like kind of the lower season for them, which ended up being pretty good for us because temperature wise, it was a little cooler. It was still pretty blisteringly hot during the day, but got kind of cold at night. I remember that anyway. So we've found some cancel tickets on their website, which if you are looking at booking a trip to have a soup, I'd go to their website, looks specifically under the cancelations tab because it books out. I think the tickets go on sale February first of every year. And it books out incredibly fast, and we found tickets just in the cancelation side of things. I was looking at prices.
Speaker 2: Now they're crazy.
Speaker 1: Well, it's the same price as what we paid back in twenty nineteen, which I was surprised by. It's one hundred dollars per person per night. Yeah, and it's a three night minimum.
Speaker 2: I thought it was more than that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, so for us, we spent six hundred dollars just to go camping for three nights, which is just mind blowingly expensive when you consider campsites are, you know, mostly free. Sometimes you're going to pay five, ten, fifteen bucks, but one hundred bucks a night for per person is just it's mind blowing. It's kind of worth it.
Speaker 2: I would say, would you say, oh, yeah, I think it's worth it for sure?
Speaker 1: I would say it's worth it at least once.
Speaker 2: I would definitely like to go back again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would one hundred percent go back again. But even and that, you're kind of like, well, that's kind of expensive, but it for one for your first time, one hundred percent worth it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's amazing. It is quite a trek in and out.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So well, so let's get there first, So we drove from Los Angeles. We had the van, thankfully, because it's a seven hour drive from LA and do you want to start early in the morning, and so you don't want to leave at like one am, get there at seven am, or get there eight am and then start hiking. That's kind of a pain in the butt. So what we did was we drove from LA. I think we stopped somewhere along the way like a rest stop, and spent the night, and then we just kind of like lazied our way into it in the morning. We didn't start intol like nownish. We actually didn't start until like one twenty pm, I know exactly the time.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And well cause I read about on my blog, and so I went back and read my blog and I was like kind of surprised and impressed by myself how much detail I levied out onto the blog.
Speaker 2: Make sure you check out genybabies dot com if you want to read more.
Speaker 1: Haven't updated in a few years. But I got to say, I was pretty proud of myself for that content that I had written there. I should get back into that. So yeah, so we drove, we stayed the night, we started hiking in the morning. I remember getting there. There's a checkpoint a couple miles before the trailhead, and I with my I was in my van, of course, and it's kind of like driving in your small apartment where things kind of just get locked lost amongst the clutter. You don't know exactly what's in there at all times, versus a car where you're like, oh, I cleaned it out last week, so I know exactly what's in here. There's nothing bad. I had like a couple extra beers. I had a drone. You're not allowed to bring alcohol and you're not allowed to bring drones. Those are like the three things they explicitly say don't bring these in. They do, like I pretty throw a search of your car, and especially being a van, they kind of like tore everything apart. They found the beer, they found the drone. They just maybe empty the beer out there at the At the ranger station, they asked about the drone. I just told them that I flew it and crashed it, which is true, and so it didn't fly, and so they like let me get off, thankfully. I think typically they might take that from.
Speaker 2: You, but with other people we read up a little bit on it, and if you have any of these things, they can turn you away. They're like basically can take your permits, take your money, and they're like, sorry, you're not welcome here. Yeah, alcohol and drones and somehow we got to lucky.
Speaker 1: And imagine just driving seven hours and spending six hundred dollars and getting all the way there and then and not being allowed to enter. So if you do end up going, make sure triple check and quadruple check that you don't have these things in your car. Because they were nice to us. I don't know how understanding that would be for you know, future issues like that.
Speaker 2: But yeah, and they are thorough like they will go through They went through our entire van, which is it took a while, and they will go through your entire car. So don't try to hide anything, don't try to bring anything in that you shouldn't because you'll get caught. Yeah, they've got dogs sniff in you.
Speaker 1: They got they do have a cute little puppy sniff in you. So so we get there eventually and start hiking. I do have a breakdown of kind of what I brought on the trip, but typically, like, of course you're gonna need a tent, sleeping path, sleeping bag, cold weather clothes, some suit obviously, and very comfortable hiking shoes. We got to the trailhead around one started hiking around one twenty, and from there it's a ten mile hike to get from the trailhead into the campsite. It's it's a unique hike. The way in is much easier than the way out because it's all downhill. I think it's like two thousand feet of elevation change, so you go down two thousand feet on the way in and then obviously up two thousand feet on the way back. Ten miles. I think we did the whole thing in maybe like three and a half or four hours, which is pretty good. Calen hadn't really done much hiking at this point. I remember your hip flexer was flaring up on you quite a bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to say so this was my first big hike ever in my life. This was the most I've ever hiked. I think like max before that was one mile, so this was ten or eleven ten ten. And so we went to ARII and stocked up. I had to get a bunch of new gear and stuff, and I was like, it's probably time to get legit hiking boots versus the crappy little ones that I have, And I went for style, which you should never do. Quickly learned and they were They didn't feel that heavy in your hand. But you want like the most lightweight possible hiking boots. Mine they were so they became so heavy so quickly, like two miles in lifting my leg each time pulled my hip flexer. And I was very week at the time, but my hip flexer was pulled so bad that I couldn't like it was just like impossible to keep walking. So we had to keep taking breaks. So if you were looking for hiking boots, make sure they are super light.
Speaker 1: Yeah, light is good. There is a trade off between light and like formidable. You don't want a hiking shoe that's like a super light shoe because then you'll feel every rock underneath your foot.
Speaker 2: Well, mine are super light, but like heavy duty. The new ones that I have.
Speaker 1: I mean, I firmly believe that a good hiking shoe is maybe the most important thing you need when you go hiking. If you have a bad pair of hiking shoes that you don't find comfortable personally, it's going to totally ruin your experience.
Speaker 2: Oh and it did on the hike in and then I had to wear I'm a seven and a half dian as a men's even eleven, and so I had to wear his water shoes the rest of the way because I was in so much pain. But it's hard to know, Like that was the first long hike I've ever done, it was hard to know exactly what to look for. ARII has a great return policy, so you can go on this hike and then you can return them, which is awesome. So luckily I got super lucky with that.
Speaker 1: But and it is a big trial and air thing too. My big, first big hike I went on in Patagonia. I bought a pair of hiking shoes kind of unknowingly, just bought the things that I thought would be best hated them. So for fifty miles on that track, I just absolutely hated my shoes until I eventually found the shoes that I were Now are the Lesportiva's approach shoes, like the t X four's, and I love them personally. I think it really just you just got to find a shoe that you really like and know that you're gonna be comfortable in.
Speaker 2: But that's exactly what it is. It's trial and error, and it sucks if you make an error on a hike like that.
Speaker 1: Right, So we get there, we start hiking in. I remember at one point I tried to take a video or a picture of some of the horses and I got shushed away. They're like, delete all that stuff right now. You're not allowed to have any pictures of the horses or any of the people here, which I found surprising.
Speaker 2: I will say too, if you are going to do this hike, please don't use the pack mules. Yeah, it's just a little sad it is, so you can hike in with your back. And that's what Deem is taking a photo of. I think if they were.
Speaker 1: Donkeys, I was just making a video or video.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like it just happened to be an animal. But they were carrying people's gear in because some people don't want to carry their own gear, and please don't do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, I agree, Yeah, I agree. Yes. And so we get there. We get to the town of Supi, which is like the small town of the Indigenous people that live down there. And I actually did a little bit bit of research before this did you know what the village of Supi is the most remote indigenous territory in the United States.
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 1: It's located ten miles deep in the Grand Canyon Supy Village and have a sup by water fowls, only accessible by helicopter or on your own two feet. I just found that really interesting that the most remote indigenous territory in the US. So we get to the town, I think we there's like a lot of misinformation out there on what you can buy down there. We brought all our own food and when we get down there, there's like a restaurant. There's like little stands that kind of review fried goods.
Speaker 2: Are you talking about the fry food fry bread?
Speaker 1: I mean the fry bread.
Speaker 2: The fry bread were there were like two stands once you're within the hike. But then there's that little town. But that's still two or three miles before you get tip yeah camp.
Speaker 1: So two miles before the campsite starts. There's there is a restaurant though that we ate out on the way back, and we got the jalapeno burgers and they were very good at like I did because you don't eat beef, but anyway, So we get there, we check in and do all that stuff, and then we go to our campsite. The camping area was pretty full, I remember, So we got a campsite that I wouldn't necessarily recommend. It was like the very first Campsit in the left hand side, right when you get in, So we had a lot of foot traffic going by us all day and all night.
Speaker 2: But they the campsites are appointed to you, like I don't think so.
Speaker 1: No, you go in and it's just kind of like dispersed. You just kind of find a campsite that you want. I would recommend going towards the back. Do you remember like those Yeah, the creep and all that stuff was running through and there's a lot of really cool, unique places to camp that we didn't really get the chance to just because I think we got there super late. We got there at like five thirty in November, and so it was like already pretty dark, and so we were like setting up in the middle of the night, which was kind of a bummer. But we ended up spending four days, three nights down there and no cell phone reception. So just keep that in mind. Bring a good book or download some stuff on your phone or something, if that's what you want to do while you're down there, just kind of killing time.
Speaker 2: We watched The Harry Bear, The Cubert Affair, The.
Speaker 1: Curious Affair of Harry Cubert or something like.
Speaker 2: That with McDreamy from Gray's Anatomy.
Speaker 1: Not a good show, but it kept us entertained.
Speaker 2: It's funny that every time I think about having a SUP I think about that show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's all we watched, and I think we ran out of episodes and so we just watched it again. Yeah, which is pretty funny to think about. I would definitely recommend going with like a big group. If we had like six of us down there, we could play cards or something like that. You know, it was great obviously being down there just us too, but it would be nice to have like kind of a bigger crew to hang out with.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Group camping trips are always a good time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So we get down there. Obviously the first thing that you see we didn't really see much that night, but the first thing we saw in the morning was have a sweep by falls, the big main waterfall and just absolutely mind blowingly breathtaking, just so much water being pushed down that waterfall, like it's got so much freaking power it's insane. But what they do with hav A sup I two is the only lot three hundred and fifty permits per day, and so that's kind of why it's such a hard thing to do, is to get a permit. They book got really far in advance, that's why you have to do the cancelations. And then then there was only I found this out too just now there's only six hundred and fifty Indigenous people that live down there too. So while it is the most remote indigenous village, it is also only six hundred and fifty people. And the people were pretty nice. They were. I mean, I could definitely see like living them, like being them living down there, getting super annoyed by all these people just coming and going every single day. But I don't think we really had any negative run in with anyone down there.
Speaker 2: Did We Just the animal run in, but that was it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So one on what day two or day three, we hiked down to Mooney Falls, which is an incredible hike down You remember that cliff side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh, I was just talking about when you were trying to take a photo of the horse or the horses donkey either.
Speaker 1: You're talking about when you're sell the Big Horn sheep.
Speaker 2: No, that was terrifying.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So do you remember the hike down into Mooney Falls?
Speaker 2: Yeah, also terrifying. Why the hike into Mooney Falls where I had I started crying, Yeah, why, it was really scary. So you are hiking, it's like there's all these signs, it's like dangerous, dangerous, people have died, so dramatic. But you know, I'm taking that to heart and freaking out. And then you're hiking down this little, tiny little tunnel and then you have to hike backwards this rickety rickety ladder and it's so high up and then the water from the waterfalls like whacking you, and it's slippery and my boots are slipping. It was pretty terrifying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I personally didn't think it was, but I could see why you would think it is. Yep, it was, but amazing, right, Yeah. You eventually gritted your teeth and got through it and got to the bottom and it was worth everything.
Speaker 2: Going down terrifying. Going up is obviously a lot easier.
Speaker 1: So Mooney Falls is it almost looks like the same size as Super I Falls. Maybe a little bit smaller, but the pool is a lot smaller. You can't really like swim around in it quite as much, and it doesn't get as much sunk because I think it's a little bit more in the canyon. And then we hike down a little further down the river and just kind of like walked around and enjoyed a lot of the scenery down there. What I do kind of wish we did well, I guess more so me was you can hike like down that river really far and hit the Colorado River at a certain point, and I think you can even exit that way to a degree, but I'm not really sure how that works. So if I were to go back, I would venture further down. We just kind of spent the whole day, like me entering around taking photos and walking around and stuff. And then we saw that bigcorn sheep on the way back on like this narrow little trail. I remember hearing something off in the distance, wondering what it was and looking around and eventually you spot this, you know, bighorn sheep. They're not really scary from afar, but when you get up close, their horns are massive. You don't know how skittish, they're going to be how like reactive, they're going to be to your presence, and so you really just kind of have to take it easy with them.
Speaker 2: And Dean and I were like exploring different parts for some reason, and we're like twenty feet away, and Dean got it on camera. He couldn't warn me because then that might startle the bigcorn sheep. So I'm like looking at Dean and then I'm seriously staring face to face, like two feet away from this corn sheep, and thankfully I screamed an inaudible scream, but oh my god, an internal scream. I guess it was so scary. It was so scary, But he walked right by me, didn't hurt me.
Speaker 1: And at the end of the day, probably pretty harmless.
Speaker 2: Like I bet you he was taller than me.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, But I don't think that they're going to be like predatorially aggressive towards you for being in there.
Speaker 2: They could be if I spooked him and screamed, for sure, And.
Speaker 1: I think that's kind of the whole thing with wildlife, is like if you sneak up on them and scare them, they might react in a way that might hurt you, but it was just you know, just being in that moment. It's a little more scary than talking about it, I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So anyway, so we spent a couple of days down there just exploring. Calen was nursing her injured hip flexer, so we didn't really move around that much, which was totally fine too, Like it was still just worth just hanging out near the falls and just kind of you know, waiting for the sun to go down and go to sleepwake up, and do the same thing the next day.
Speaker 2: Getting frybread. The frybread was great. I definitely recommend getting the fry bread. I grew up on it because I'm also Native American and it is a very great Native American dish.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for the unforlces, Kailin is a Native American or her grandmother is on hundred percent Native American. She's from the tribe Band of Traverse Bay, a little Ottawa Indians.
Speaker 2: Little Travers Bay Band of Ottawa Indians. My great great grandpa was the chief.
Speaker 1: That's right. That means you got chief blood in you.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, I'm chief Tis chief Tis.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not, but yeah, I do think that have a sup I was one of the things that exceeded expectations. You see so many things online and then you know, getting there and being a little underwhelmed. Have a sup I was one of the things where I was like, this is just as cool, if not cooler, than I thought it was going to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's hard to capture how incredible it is. And even if you see all those Instagram travel influencers post about it and you're like, yeah, that looks cool, but no, it's it's cooler in person.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then a few years prior, like I said, my brother went there with a few friends and one of our mutual friends, his best friend, Mike, jumped off the top of sup By Falls on hundred feet It's like ninety six feet, which you know, round up two hundred why not he jumped in. My brother has a video of it. I think it's one of the coolest things ever. And so I went up to the top of the falls and like, just like, well, if culture can do it, I can do it. And I stood up there for what like two and a half hours, I.
Speaker 2: Would say forty five minutes to an hour.
Speaker 1: It was a long time, but like an eternity and I was at.
Speaker 2: The bottom camera ready to take the video if he ever jumps. He's like pacing back and forth, just scouting it. Then he goes down to the bottom, sees how deep it is where he's gonna land, goes back up pacing, and then someone recognized him, and then the whole bottom there were probably like thirty people down there were like cheering, deep deep deep jump jump, jump, and then he came down.
Speaker 1: It's so scary being up there. I never jumped off anything that high. I do like to think of myself as a bit of a daredevil, so I know that I could do it and survive. But the jump from up there, you're like looking over a cliff, so you can't really see where you're gonna land. You like literally just just jump blind and then eventually pencil and hit the water and it's per permeated, perfeated whatever water because the waterfall is hitting it, so it's not like you're slapping still water. You could probably belly flop and survive, you know, but being up there was terrifying, and so eventually didn't jump and walk down with my tail between my legs, and then we went to bed, and then we left the next morning. I was really sad. When we left the next morning, Kaitlyn was obviously still in a great deal of pain, and so we walked back to super Village. We had heard that there is a helicopter that flies you out if you need it.
Speaker 2: But they said you had to get there at five am, like wait in line at five am, because they only do a few helicopter trips a day. And we went I think we got there at like nine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so I was, you know, totally expecting us not to be able to get it. Sure enough, there was like two people on the helicopter, so you got on first, first go. We had to wait for what like thirty minutes just for it to kind of like load up supplies and then take off. But it was like the easiest thing ever. I would never bank on that if you're going down. I would never consider like that as an option because you never know how much was it.
Speaker 2: I think it's one to fifty.
Speaker 1: I actually know exactly how much. It was ninety five dollars.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so cheap.
Speaker 1: It was eighty five dollars plus a ten dollars credit card fee.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's so cheap. Yeah, so you did it's like a five minute flight.
Speaker 1: So you got back in ten minutes or five minutes or whatever it is, back to the trailhead. And I was so mad at myself for not jumping off the waterfall that I was like, I have to. And I probably would have walked anyways, just because I'm a purist like that, if you will. And I wasn't suffering from any nagging injuries, which I think is a big, big aspect of it as well. But yeah, so I hiked back while Kaylen, I don't even know what did you do for the three hours that it took me to get back up.
Speaker 2: I think I just laid in the van.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, because I gave you the keys. Yeah, so it's an option, Like let's say you like really roll your ankle and you know you can't walk out. That's an option. I bet you it's got more than ninety five dollars now, but it seemed like a great price. Yeah, I'm shocked by that to save yourself ten miles of hiking because.
Speaker 2: I try to fly out of our engagement site spot and that was what like five hundred or a thousand SuDS, like a thousand yeah, Yeah, so ninety five great price.
Speaker 1: I'm noticing a trend here, Kaylan. I don't want to say it's okay with getting to the destination, but you always we're looking for an easy way to get back. Now that that's a bad thing, huh yeah yeah, so yeah, let's have a supie. Obviously, in a very brief nutshell, if you're thinking about doing it, I can't recommend it enough. It was one of my favorite hiking experiences. I would a million percent go back. If you want to do it and you have an extra ticket, please let me know. I'll come join you.
Speaker 2: And he's serious.
Speaker 1: I am that serious. Is there anything else that we want to talk about? Have a suphie, that's it.
Speaker 2: Have blast wear, comfortable shoes, don't take photos of the animals.
Speaker 1: Yeah yep. We went during a cool time too, where the leaves were changing, so it was like kind of exceptionally beautiful at the time. Granted it was a little chillier, but but yeah, I highly recommend it. Get on that cancelation website if you want to buy some canceled tickets. Just have an open schedule and like you know, if you have a two week window, then you can spare four days here or there, then just do it that way. I think that's kind of my best recommendation for that. But yeah, that's a very quick rundown of have a sup eye, don't bring any booze, don't bring any firearms, don't bring any drones, don't bring anything that you're going to get in trouble for. They will catch you and you will get kicked out. So just not worth the risk anything else. Thank you guys so much for tuning into this week's episode. Have been there, Dean that just trying to keep it quick. We still hit twenty four minutes here, so that's pretty good. Be sure to tune in next week. We're going to be talking about Aruba, so maybe we'll suck just a little bit less.
Speaker 2: Alas, thank demby