Speaker 1: Welcome to Reasonably Shady, a production of The Black Effect Podcast Network and iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Welcome to another episode of Reasonably Shady. I am josellbe Bryant.
Speaker 1: What's up? What's up? Everyone? This is Robin Dixon. Thank you for being here with us once again. We appreciate you as always.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, and we're like super excited.
Speaker 2: First of all, it's March.
Speaker 3: Hello, March okay, And March is like actually Robin's month again because it's her birthday month, so let's.
Speaker 1: Get hearn that.
Speaker 3: And I'm taking Robin out whether she wants to go and not even if I have to kidnap you, like pick you up, throw you over my shoulder.
Speaker 2: We're going out for your birthday. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: I have to start mentally preparing because this so this is like a it's like, you know, semi milestone birthday. I'll be turning forty five.
Speaker 3: Forty five, forty five, this is amazing. Same to me, we celebrating bribing.
Speaker 1: So I'm just like, okay, do I have to like what do I need to do? It's also the month of March is my parents' fiftieth wedding anniversary. Wow, which I'm like I haven't planned anything surrounding that either, So we got a lot to do.
Speaker 2: Missy.
Speaker 1: We're all just like really low key, like we just don't do you think I just spent you know that? But I'm saying my parents as well, like we're just like, you know, we just don't do like huge celebrations all the time. But I think fifty years of being married.
Speaker 3: Listen, you spend fifty years with with some shoes or a purse, it is time for some acknowledgement.
Speaker 2: Okay, right, fifty year is is a long time.
Speaker 1: Right, Oh my god, speaking of spending years with shoes and purses. I just I have been purging my closet, yeah, for a few months now because I actually built a new closet in my house. I turned one of my guest bedrooms into a closet. But I have got rid of so much stuff, Like it's so crazy how much we accumulate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't you feel good about it?
Speaker 1: I do, because it's like, I mean, bags and bags and bags of clothes and shoes and handbags. And I'm just like, why do we accumulate so much stuff? Why?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, so how often do you purge.
Speaker 3: When I just feel like my closet is getting overrun. I'm like, okay, maybe like twice a year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you have shoes that you've had for like longer than ten years? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, I mean I have. There's still some shoes and bags and stuff that I can't depart with that I've had for probably damn near twenty years almost. But then there's somewhere it's just like you think about how much money you paid for them. They were designer whatever at the time, and it's like you almost get mad at yourself, like I can't believe I paid much for these shoes and I wore them twice and they've been in my closet for ten years or however long, Like this is ridiculous. It's just so I've been going through a lot of that emotionally, just letting go of stuff that I'm like, I spent a lot of money on it, but I haven't worn it, and it's got to go.
Speaker 2: Let it go.
Speaker 3: The exciting part about today is that it's International Women's Day. Today is not the day, but it is happening reasonably. Shady is so excited that we're able to like honor women like, uh yeah, that's what we need to be doing, honoring some women and you know my shady moment, because that's how we always start this episode, has to do it little women call my children?
Speaker 1: What did they do this time?
Speaker 3: First of all, they're like money in their little car that they call stink bug. The all change light was on, okay, so I was like, okay, guys, I'll take it in not a.
Speaker 2: Rout, I take it. And this car is rather old.
Speaker 3: Right, and they're like, oh man, you we can change the oil for you. But the oil is leaking into the oil pan and you know, engine transmission.
Speaker 2: It's this, it's that. So I was like, what does that mean to me?
Speaker 3: And so they were like we I think we need to like handle this problem okay, which was going to cost thousands of dollars.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's just start there.
Speaker 3: But I'd rather my kids be safe than sorry. Yeah, so just handle it, they said.
Speaker 2: Cool. I go to the little people.
Speaker 3: I live with the little women, and I say, hey, your car is not gonna be ready for two more days.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: They fell out like they were like actually like it was an atomic bomb.
Speaker 2: Their hands were on their heads. There was screaming at the top of their lawns.
Speaker 3: They were like no, just were like going nuts, like Mommy, why didn't you why did you do this to us?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: And I'm like what They were like like.
Speaker 3: You're supposed to fix all problems, like ma, like why would they need the car for two days?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 3: So Robin I dropped that stupid stink bug off on Thursday. Yeah, Monday it was still in there. Yeah, And they said they didn't know when it was.
Speaker 1: Going to be done.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: I keep forwarding the text message that they send me. I send to them and for whatever reason, it's my fuck. And so I'm like, girls, let's be clear, I'm spending thousands of dollars on this stupid car that y'all call stinker, right, so deal with the fact that y'all need to be appreciative number one. Number two, if you don't.
Speaker 1: Have a car for five minutes, calm down, be Okay, that's what Uber's for.
Speaker 3: So Uber your ants around town? Okay, are they working? So that's what they said, Well, we're babysity and we need the car, and you know, a door does the cross now and she's trying out for the team, not that she's not going to make it, and she's like, I have things to do.
Speaker 2: This is such an inconvenience and mommy, why why would this happen? Why?
Speaker 1: But they've only been driving this car for how long? They act like? Right?
Speaker 2: Five minutes? Okay, So these little women need to get.
Speaker 3: It together, right, Oh my god. Yeah, they have it back now, thank god. But I was just like I couldn't believe their reaction. They just like lost it.
Speaker 1: So would you because I know, like you went out of town recently, would you let them drive your car while you're out of town?
Speaker 2: No, they don't.
Speaker 3: They actually didn't want to drive my car because they feel like it's too big and they would definitely wreck it. Okay, So they're fearful to drive my car, which is creat Okay. They will wait for sick buck to be back and stride again, okay, Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they wanted to put a band aid on it, and then the band aid would all off and the thing would fall apart.
Speaker 2: Now, but everybody relaxed, calm down, it's okay, Okay.
Speaker 3: So there are some women that I want we need to talk about, especially when it comes to.
Speaker 2: Contributions that they.
Speaker 3: Have done in science and in math and there's like some bad ass women out here, and.
Speaker 2: I feel like they don't get their duke, Robbin. They do not get their duke right.
Speaker 3: The next time, Robin, that you use your navigation in your car or any navigation software like Google Maps, you can thank doctor Gladys West, who is actually a black woman. He's the inventor of GPS technology. Gladys West. Now have you ever heard that name before? Have you ever like nos that ever been on radar? Like if we don't have navigation, we're scrossing.
Speaker 1: Right, And I'm just thinking of how significant that invention and convenience is because you think back in the days when you had to pull out the paper map and you know, write down where you were going first. I think when I started driving, that was when like map quests was useful. So was she? Did she contribute to the map quest stage or more to like what's on our smartphones and in our vehicles now?
Speaker 2: I think what's in our vehicles now?
Speaker 3: Because she help invent software like Google Maps, So Google Maps is kind of like what's what we use today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's the inventor of GPS technology.
Speaker 3: Like, right, every day, I use my GPS tech every day, every time I get in the car, So thank you, Gladdys.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean it's amazing. It's like don't you wonder how that works because it's like where it shows you the traffic. I use it every day too, even if I know where I'm going, because I want to see what the traffic is like. And that's just yes, So that's even amazing. It's just you can you can get to your destination but also get to it in the quickest way possible. That's yeah. No, Gladys is the bomb. I would love to like, I would love to know more about her, you know what I'm saying, like where does she go to college? And what was Like how does she get in this field? I always think when you think about technology, you don't see a lot of women in the technology field, Like how did she get there?
Speaker 3: Maybe she got in there kicking and screaming, or maybe she got in there because somebody, you know, realized that without her technology, they had.
Speaker 2: To let her in.
Speaker 3: I don't know her back story, but like even with the ladies from Hidny Figures.
Speaker 2: Do you remember that? Do you remember that movie?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, those ladies NASA did not want to use their knowledge. They didn't want to respect the fact that they had the knowledge. They didn't want any parts of these black women, but because they were so bad what they were doing, they had to acknowledge them.
Speaker 2: They had to give them the job.
Speaker 3: They had to find a bathroom for them to use as they're at work doing their job. Like all that kind of stuff is insanity. My dad worked for NASSHA, yeah, and he was just like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these women were real. Harry Dorothy was one of them.
Speaker 3: And Barack Obama gave the Congressional Gold Medal, which is the highest honor presented by Congress to a civilian, to Darden, who was at that time she was seventy seven and she's now the only living hidden figure. This was back in twenty twenty. I'm not sure now there was Catherine Johnson, all of these ladies. I can't even what's crazy is I can't even like put my finger on how smart they are because it's.
Speaker 2: Like space aviation, yeah, like all of it.
Speaker 1: It's just like, uh uh it is mind blowing, right. We can't even wrap our head around the just what they had to learn in order to do what they do. I mean, I'm you know, I worry about putting makeup on and you know, oh, let me watch a makeup tutorial. Meanwhile, you have you know, women like this who you know. It's like you wonder like what inspired them to get into the field, but also just how does your brain work to even comprehend what is going on and then to make advancements in the field. It's crazy. I mean, it's just and I thought I was a smart math student, but there's no way I can grasp what they learned. So your father was very familiar with them, Yes, yes, absolutely, that's awesome. In the movie was never made, we would still never know about them, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's the sad part. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think women are the most underrated people walking. I think that forever and still to this day. The fact that we are paid pennies on the dollar to what men are paid for the same job is an absurdity, I think, you know, when I look at because there's there's some women that talk out talk about it publicly. You know, there's I know, Gabrielle Union from the entertainment industry, Reese Witherspoon, Viola Davis.
Speaker 2: They speak publicly about like, look, this is just not fair.
Speaker 3: I read something that it's going to take a century, a century, Robin for us to be equally paid.
Speaker 2: With the rate we're going as men. And I have daughters, so.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like why yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah in the black women, like, you know, we can't get if women. If white women are eighty five cents on a dollar, we're like.
Speaker 1: Sixty sixty yeah, right, So the gender pay gap. White women earned eighty two cents for every dollar a man makes, African American women earned sixty cents, and Latina's earned fifty five cents for every dollar earned by white non Hispanic men. And the additionally, only eight eight percent of fortunate five hundred CEOs are women. And it's so crazy because women are just so brilliant. There were geniuses, we're hard workers, we're no nonsense, and this disparity still exists, which is insane.
Speaker 2: And it's like, we are proven to be smarter. We're smarter than men. I ain't no question about smarter than men.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine can you imagine if women actually were in power politically, you know, President President, you know, imagine that. Imagine how beautiful our country would be. We would not be this delighted.
Speaker 3: We would have beautiful flowers planted all over the place. We have beautiful trees. There would be peace and be peace. Everybody would be eating. Education would be through the roof.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 2: Think about all because typically teachers are more women than men.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Think about if they were paid properly, right, let's pay them.
Speaker 2: Come on, y'all, we got to do right.
Speaker 3: There's so many people that you know, I always want to give a shout out anytime I talk about like women, I always want to give a shout obviously to my mom, who was you know, huge role model and example in my life.
Speaker 2: She always pushed me to be the best that I could possibly.
Speaker 3: Be, always affirmed that the sky's the limit, that there's nothing that I should ever be scared of or that should ever let stop me from getting anything that I wanted to do. And I appreciate that and that I have instilled in my daughters. And you know, I probably instilled it too much because these these girls do just think tell them anything.
Speaker 2: But you need like strong women in your life.
Speaker 3: Listen, my mom, every every day, Robin and I did not pick this up as a mother, but every day there was food on the table. She have a hot, fresh meal that was like not a repeat for like thirty days, right, and.
Speaker 2: Now that I am a mother, that is like phenomenal.
Speaker 1: It is like it is.
Speaker 3: She made sure we always ate together as a family, right, Like that is still so much character and self worth and value in me that I didn't appreciate it at the time, of course, but that's not.
Speaker 2: The point, Like it was amazing.
Speaker 1: Right of course. Of course if with my mom, I always admired watching her be an entrepreneur, and I think a lot of that rubbed off on me because I would sit and watch her work, and you know, my play time, especially by myself, would be to like pretend like I owned a store, and so like everything, I would put a price tag on everything, and I have my little pretend customers and I'm ringing them up. And because I'm watching my mom. She didn't, she didn't have a retail store, but you know, I'm watching her deal with her clients and the people who you know, came in for business. And it definitely rubbed off on me to the point where I knew that as I got older, that I wanted to have a business for myself. And I think, you know, you didn't see a lot of back then. You didn't see a lot of female business owners, especially black female business owners. And so anytime I see a female entrepreneur who has grown their business, you know, especially from the bottom to to you know, great success. You have Camille Rose, the hair care products that are sold everywhere. The owner of the founder of that, her name is Janelle Stevens. I mean, she has built that brand from her kitchen, you know, just making hair products. And so for me, women like that really inspire me because I'm like, oh, okay, like I can do that. And so you know, you saw me on the Real house host Potomac come up with an idea for satin line hats and that was just a natural entrepreneurial idea that to me was inspired by watching other women have ideas and just go for them. And so always have to shout out women who just go for it.
Speaker 3: Yes, and even with what we do, like we're housewives and we came, you know, Potomac came, but six years after New York and Atlanta and Beverly Hills and OC. So I would look at like a candy burst like Kenny was so inspirational from a business perspective.
Speaker 2: You know, she's on this housewives show.
Speaker 3: She came in already as a you know, Grammy winning singer and just started started like building businesses, right, yeah, and it's so inspirational. We look at like Kyle Richards, I remember she had all of her stores, even Vicki Goldleson you.
Speaker 2: Know with that like insurance company.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and that was an industry that you didn't see a lot of women in in insurance. And for her to own the agency, not just to be an agent, that was that was pretty significant and impressive.
Speaker 3: Yes, even you know, in the past we've had we've had, you know, things to say about Bethany Frankel, like from a business perspective, you know, she started her Skinny Girl, she sold the company for a coatrillion dollars and that is just inspirational for us coming into the industry also housewives and seeing what we can do to benefit us from a business perspective outside of what we're doing on the show. And you know, I've actually talked to Candy about, you know, off camera, about her being truly inspirational, especially the black women, you know, and Candy like does it all she like had the bed broke Candy she oh my gosh, Kady Cody lights, yes, and it all worked and now she has like all the restaurants and you know, she she took that platform and she made it.
Speaker 2: Work for her businesses, which is respectable.
Speaker 1: Right, And it's inspirational not just to us as housewives, but to women viewers who are watching the show and they're saying they're seeing, Okay, I can reach for other things. I can do other things. There are other opportunities out there for me. I can make things happen for myself. Yeah. I think that's one of the beauties of us being on reality TV and taking risks and showing our lives and really just doing things and sharing it with people, is that we are able to influence and inspire other people and give them ideas. I mean, I've i know, you know, just from the business that I start that people saw me start on the show. I've had people reach out like you know, how do you start? Where do you go? And it's just great for people to actually see like, no, this is this is something that you can really do yourself, and if you really, really, really really put the time and effort and energy into it, you can build it into something amazing. Along the lines of entertainment, I want to talk about women in sports, particularly in male dominated sports. So we now are seeing more and more women on the sidelines in the NFL, the NBA particularly, There's a woman named Sandra Douglas Morgan who was in the past few years appointed to be the president of the Oakland Raiders in the NFL. So she is the first, yes, the first black female team president in the NFL. And that's major because in the NFL, yes, I mean for a long time, t is only white men that dominate the NFL. Or if there is a woman involved, it's because it was passed down in her family, or she married into it, or it was her father's team or something like that. And so to see a woman in the front office the president of the Oakland Raiders, that is amazing. A couple other women who have done amazing things that women typically haven't done in sports. Lamar Jackson is a you know, the best quarterback in the world from the Baltimore Ravens. Instead of hiring an agent, Lamar Jackson hired his mother to negotiate his contract. Yeah, no way, yes, m So. Her name is Felicia Jones. And he held out, Like with the Ravens, he was up for a new contract, and they held pretty firm for a long time, and he was able to get a five year, two hundred and sixty million dollar contract, and he put his trust in his mother, Wow to help him negotiate his contract. Another female agent who helped Jalen Hurts get at the time, it was like historically the largest contract extension in the NFL. Her name is Nicolelon. She is one of my sorority sisters. She's a Delta. She helped Jalen sign a two hundred and fifty five million dollar contract. And so those are rooms, Yes, those are rooms that women were never in, like you never heard of anything, especially to that degree. And so I love seeing stuff like that because women love sports too, and women can make good decisions for sports teams, and we don't have to only work in women's sports. We can we can be great contributors to men's sports. And you know, I'm grateful that some of these teams and these athletes are putting their trust women. I've actually seen female coaches on the men's side as well. I think there's a female.
Speaker 2: Works with the commanders.
Speaker 1: I believe yes, on the computer staff basketball. There is a female on like the Wizard's staff. I think she was a player, so she was like she played in the w NBA Christy Tolliver and then they let her, you know, coach during the NBA season. So it's I mean, the sky is really the limit for women. But we still are facing a huge pay gap gender inequality. But you know, we're getting there. We're getting there.
Speaker 3: I want to tell like the good old boys, like the the the rooms that are filled with nothing but all white men.
Speaker 2: Aren't y'all tied of talking to each other? Aren't y'all tired thinking the same? Aren't y'all tied.
Speaker 3: Having the same dumb ass conversation like don't you want a different perspective? Don't you want to be able to know what like the other gender that you actually live this life with is thinking.
Speaker 2: Like wouldn't you want that? Wouldn't you want the diversity? Wouldn't you want the other walks of life?
Speaker 3: I don't understand why they are so hell bent about not letting anybody else in.
Speaker 2: It's sad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think the easy answer is it's a power thing. They want to just maintain power. But I think the smart thing would be to realize women are huge decision makers in their household. They drive the economy, and so it would be behoove everyone to involve women in the decision making process because we're actually going to make sure that things are done right the first time, and that it's inclusive, and that it's you know, attractive, all of that type of stuff. And so I'm not sure want to take away anything from any men, but to think that they can do everything without women's contributions, it's just ridiculous. And like I said, if not only in politics, but across the board, if women were in positions of power or leadership, not just in politics, but business and whatever else and entertainment, I think we would be further, much further along in all of those industries.
Speaker 2: So what one hundred percent?
Speaker 3: But I mean, look how long it took to get any woman in the White House.
Speaker 2: Any woman?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it took I don't what, two hundred thousand years.
Speaker 3: You know, we appreciate you sys you got the weight of the world shoulder, but like it and it was I mean, I feel like Joe had his backup against the wall when he decided to make a woman his running mate, Like he didn't have a choice in the issue. I think Jill like them up in the closet and it's like, this is what you don't do, right, you don't do the women. But like they thought for.
Speaker 2: That, like it, you know, it's nice.
Speaker 3: It makes me feel a sense of comfort when I know that we're being represented and decisions that affect the country. Yes, women's thoughts.
Speaker 2: Just at the table, right, like let us let us it's okay men, it's okay, right.
Speaker 1: And it's not just because we're making decisions for things that pertain to women, like women's reproductive rights and all of that type of stuff, like yes, but it's it's across the board, like no, we need to contribute everywhere in every every segment, technology, infrastructure, whatever, business. I mean, it's just but but to think that there are men making decisions for women in our bodies and all of that, that's just that's listen.
Speaker 3: One of the reasons why I started every year was because men make make.
Speaker 1: Up right for women.
Speaker 2: Right, I don't know what the hell you're doing.
Speaker 3: Think God Finity came along because you know, at least we know that Rihanna is you know us, and she understands our skin and she's a woman and she gets it, but like men should not have any say really in things that's pain to women.
Speaker 2: Do you have a male gynecologist.
Speaker 1: Or female female? Of course? Yeah, of course yes.
Speaker 3: I don't want a man down there looking at them stuff, right, if I have cramps or if I'm not feeling well going through my pregnancy, all of that. Like she understands what I'm what I'm feeling, she understands what I'm thinking.
Speaker 2: And she could be my advocate.
Speaker 1: But think about I mean, I know when I was younger, I really didn't know if many female gynecologists, And just think of so think about how far we've come in that field. It was because the medical field was dominated by men, and so men could get into the gynecological field because it wasn't that many women in the medical field period, which was insane, but no, it was we were I was blessed, my mom was blessed to have a female gynecologist, and I just you know, went to her, and all of my gynocologists have been females. Yeah. I saw a post on Instagram recently. It was like a tweet and some man, I think he was a politician, said something about birth control is not a healthcare expense and a woman responded to his tweet, like, birth control helps control my hormone issues, you dim with, so it is a health expense, Like it is related to my health. It's not just about preventing me from getting pregnant like it actually is. Like so, it's just like men are just making they're they're making statements and they're making decisions based on stuff there aren't even informed about. And that's just wrong. And that's why we need to continue to address the inequality, the gender inequality everywhere. And that's why women need to continue to do what they're doing, and we need to continue to inspire, and we hope all the young ladies that come after us are watching and being motivated to act.
Speaker 3: Funny story about your you went to the gnecologists of your mom's So the lady that helped deliver my children, they have started to go to her as they're gone college.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yes, So I'm like, so I told her, I'm like, at some point in time, you have to retire, right, please don't retire on my kids watch.
Speaker 2: So you might have to like be rolling yourself in here when you're like one hundred and.
Speaker 1: Two, right, I mean, that is like a very intimate person in your life.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, Like, will just bounce from.
Speaker 1: Colleges to colleges.
Speaker 2: Yes, for sure.
Speaker 1: I did have one. Oh I hated it. I was in Toronto, Wan was playing for the Toronto Raptors and I was pregnant with Corey and I ended up having to go to a It was the only gynocologists really up there because they have like free healthcare and so things were a little bit different. So it was a male gynocologist that I went to because for whatever reason, I couldn't find a female and I was so uncomfortable. It was I was just like, oh no, like I don't want to do this, and like, luckily he was traded before Corey was delivered and I just came back home to my female gynecologist, thank god.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was like, oh no, I don't want this, and I'm not.
Speaker 2: I don't you know.
Speaker 1: I know a lot of male gynecologists make a living, so I'm not trying to discourage anyone, but it's just good to have that option to go to a female when you're dealing with your reproductive health.
Speaker 3: Yes, and they need to get paid the same Oh okay, absolutely so do you feel like there's any other woman in your life that like stands out as like somebody that has mentored you or helped you through.
Speaker 2: I don't know anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, especially I'm thinking, you know, you were an NBA wife, and that is like a lot to navigate. I think of Charise, like, I'm sure Charise was like very very motherly and mentory to you.
Speaker 1: I feel like in the NBA you have wives who it's hard to have your own career if your husband is a professional athlete because the husbands, you know, aren't in the same city all the time. Like you might be in your playing city for eight months out of the year and then you go back to your home base for four months out of the year, and then you might get traded to another city. So it's really hard to establish, you know, any type of career or business when you're a professional athlete's wife. So I was always inspired by the ones who I saw who actually had their own business or had their own career despite their husband being a professional athlete. So a lot of women would get into real estate, you know, because you can kind of take that wherever. There would be some women who would be teachers, you know, back then you still didn't see a whole lot of like entrepreneurs or business owners as far as like e commerce and stuff. But you know, now, I think if I was, if one was in the NBA today and we're in the same situation, I would probably establish some sort of e commerce business that you know, where you can just sell from wherever. But I was fortunate to work for my friend Abba Klile, who has a prestigious successful PR firm in DC, and we would do PR an event and I was able to work remotely. This is actually like the first time even I even realized you could do stuff like this, so I would work. I was living in Portland, Oregon, working remotely on events that ABBA's clients were having in DC. So like De Beer's was doing a grand opening, what another jewelry store, like we were planning really big, nice events, and so working for Abba, just watching her work, watching her schmoons. Her business is called TAAPR an a male dominated industry in DC, and she's an African woman, so a white male dominated industry in DC. She's a black African African woman who had a very successful PR business. Being able to work for her and seeing her navigate that industry with such class and such like great execution. I mean her her services top notch, her business, her events are top notch. Her clients got what they needed out of the PR you know, for the in the PR world from her. That always inspired me just to see how she was able to navigate like such a conservative town in being a black African woman.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love, I love, and I love you know, she's always just like a great resource. But yeah, I never I never thought about I mean obviously, I know, obviously I know she's a black woman, but I never thought about how that industry is so male dominated, white male dominated.
Speaker 2: So yeah, okay, I.
Speaker 1: Don't be like our inspirational sister up the the I mean, her clients ranged like a high end designer Carolina Herrera and I said, De Beer's and now she's working with the top chefs of the world, the Gordon Ramsey's and the Philip Chow and you know, any new restaurant that comes to d C, the high end restaurant, that's her client almost And so to see her just do what she does and look, I always say like, once I'm finished with Housewives, I'll just go back and work for Alba because I actually I was working for her. Season one. It was a lot, like we had so many grand openings going on. And then season two we started filming. It was like two weeks into filming, I was like, I have to quit my job because I just didn't have the time to devote to our clients and to film until I had to quit. And so you know, I always I have an open I always have a job waiting for me to go back to.
Speaker 2: Because you know, I want you to give me like into the into the restaurant opening.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, can you give me a reservation?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, I mean it's just been like such inspiration and a blessing to watch an actual friend, a close friend, build her business and be one of the top pr agencies in the city of DC.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I love it.
Speaker 3: When I first got married and you know, I married a pastor and I didn't know what on earth I was doing, and I was like throw thrown into like the world of first Lady and whatever that means for a mega church. I just remember like there were you know, I always had like Jamal's mom, you know, married to Jamal's dad, who was a big time bishop at the time. There's always just women that knew like I'm struggling, help me. There's like Patrice Ellis who's married to Bishop Neil Ellis. She's She's been a face to me, like even to this day, Elaine Flake, Joanne Browning, like they would always give me love, check on me and just like make sure that I was okay.
Speaker 2: And we just kind of check on in with each other because.
Speaker 3: It's actually sometimes very difficult to be a woman in this country and every now and again, we just need to check on each other so that you know, that is my advice to all of us, like check on each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. And you know a lot of women look at each other as competitions, so you know, or they don't want to see another woman in their lane doing better than them. And so but I think the only way we really win is if we encourage one another, we support one another, we lift one another up, we share our resources with one another. I mean, there's room for everyone to eat.
Speaker 3: Everybody. Yeah, everybody. We're going to get out of here, but reasonably. Shady is celebrating International Women's Day this week. We are just excited because we're able to honor incredible women at the network and worldwide, and we are.
Speaker 2: Happy to uplift women any time, any day.
Speaker 1: Yes, and although International Women's Day is Friday, March eighth, every day should be International Women's So make sure you are doing what you can to honor the women in your life, the women that inspire you, and to push women's initiatives in to close that paygap.
Speaker 3: Yes, so I don't forget to live your life either reasonable or shady and be the best woman you can't be.
Speaker 1: Yes or women's supporter all right, bye or both. Ye. We mentioned it all throughout today's show, but the team here at Reasonably Shady is celebrating International Women's Day this week. For more programming honoring the incredible women at the network and worldwide, head over to iHeart Podcasts International Women's Day feed by searching Women Take the Mic. Wherever you look for podcasts, We're featured alongside great shows like Angela Ye's Lip Service, Very Special Episodes with Danis Schwartz, and more. That's Women Take the Mic on the iHeartRadio app or wherever you get your podcasts