Speaker 1: From time to time, we like to recommend a new podcast you may like as a listener of X Revision from the award winning television critics at Vanity Fair. Still Watching gives audience members a deep dive into the shady business of dealings of the Roy siblings, while predicting who will be the one to take over the reins of Wastetar royco join Richard Lawson, chief critic at Vanity Fair, and Chris Murphy as staff writer at Vanity Fair as they recap the final and most anticipated season of HBO's Succession on Still Watching. Tune in every Monday as Richard and Chris discuss Sunday nights new episodes. Make sure you're following Still Watching available now wherever you get your podcasts. Margot Moves is not scared of any competitor and we will happily support them because market Moves is the only one that makes the market move. Warning this podcast to day spoilers for season four, episode five, and six of Succession on Max. Hello, my name is Jason Concepcion and I'm Rosey Night and welcome.
Speaker 2: After a week off back, It's good to be visiting of.
Speaker 1: The crooked media podcast where we dive deep to your favorite shows, movies, comics, and pop culture.
Speaker 2: In this episode, it's a super sized edition of Market Moves. It's moving. Get your money ready because things are moving. They're moving up, they're moving out, moving sidewkiss.
Speaker 1: Those hondows laid out and a beautiful fan, and get ready to invest. Invest, invest, because the stack is only going up.
Speaker 2: Succession Episode five and six from season four. We're going on holiday and then we're gonna live forever. It's gonna be great, guys. And in nodoubt, David pictures us on Red Dead Redemption two as the next video games TV adaptation. I would love to see it.
Speaker 1: Coming up market. Booz, all you roise pop your value like this can? And Roman and Connor and Shiv, all you roise pop your value like this can and Roman and Connor and Shive. Just do it, do it? Do it? Do it?
Speaker 3: Do it now, Bite it good. Bite my arm just like you should. Right now, bite it good, Bite my arm just like you should. My mar my kit, my move, and my vest, my mar my cat, my move, and my vest, my mar, my cat, my move.
Speaker 2: That's right, it's Market.
Speaker 1: We're covering episode five and six of succession season four, and we're going to Norway. In episode five, we open with the new co CEO structure in place. Interim boy kings, Ken and Roman begin making their marks at waste Our HQ that means walking in getting applause from everyone. The c suite boy ours get whipped into line and they're getting ready for their journey to Norway to grease the birth canal of the Gojo deal. Lucas Matson requesting the presence of all the players large and small, not just the roy family, but all the kind of upper level executives that they might want to keep or might want a fire, as the case may be. And the timing, of course, isn't great, what with Logan recently dropping dead on an airplane Rosie remember that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Ken and Roman have literally been in power for twenty four hours.
Speaker 1: Give ord Tank.
Speaker 2: It's bad timing and this is an obvious power play from Matson, who is just doing the most this episode.
Speaker 1: The grieving pro pross is still ongoing with the roy children, but Lucas Madson doesn't care about any of that, and Ken says, okay, well, let's just do it. Let's go over there and bleed the suite on the plane over. Ken and Roman do the absolute least they can do to make make Shim feel like she's part of this, as they had kind of agreed upon soft agreed upon earlier that they were all everything's gonna come across your table, as Shiv, you're gonna be involved in No, and they are really not even trying to make her feel like she's part of it.
Speaker 2: This is a mistake that they will soon come to regret. I feel as we look upon the fortunes of the future Wastear Royco Company and it is just so hilarious and bleak. How quickly they went back on that word. This was literally yesterday.
Speaker 4: And.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, we said going to and guess what they're doing it. They cut her out to them.
Speaker 1: To the victor of the spoils, and you know, there's a piece of paper with Ken's name on it. And Shiv meanwhile, is concerned that there's all these stories and forubes and business inside her in Wall Street Journal at about Logan about what a shit show his late reign was, and she is like, what's going on with this? I thought we is this coming from us? I thought we agreed not to slander Dad as he is laid freshly in his grave. And Ken Roman are like, you know, we were crunching all these numbers here and we got to get ready for this deal. What are you the with Like, let's talk to Hugh Hugo. This is not coming from us, right, And he goes like, no.
Speaker 2: I don't know what you ever heard of this?
Speaker 1: And uh and so that's over with. And meanwhile, shiv Uh Ken and Roman say, if you want us to fire Tom in the most humiliating possible way, that off to you, dear sister, draw and quarter him, you know, hang him, not until dead, until he's merely unconscious. And then we go in and we cut open his abdomen and we pull his guts out in front of him. We put it on a fire and we burn from and then we cut him up into pieces and we put his head on the spike. We can do that if that's what you want. And she was like, no, I don't know. Meanwhile, the old guard Frank Carl, Carolina Hugo and the other guy are pinching their sides to see which one of them is the fattest hog at the slaughterhouse. And as rumors of a kill list circulate. Jerry tells everyone, settle down, listen, I get it. We're going over there to meet the upper level GOJO people and they're all like ex Olympians and they yeah, they're like in their mid thirties and they're all like full bright scholars with PhDs. But they're all fucking soft because they had that socialist healthcare and they never had to worry about like going to the dentist. Meanwhile, we came up through the through the mean meat grinder of the American system, and we're fucking tough, and they put mayo in their fries and we eat blood red states. Don't worry about it. They're soft.
Speaker 2: First prompt, Rosie, what is that guy's name? Harry? I don't know, he's just that. Okay, you're going with Harry? I think. I think, what about Harry?
Speaker 1: I know what it is, and I'm just gonna say what it is, but I'm also going to say that I only know because I had to look it up.
Speaker 2: His name is Ray and Ray uh my.
Speaker 1: My most indelible memory of Ray is from the boor on the floor outing and I believe Romanian holiday. He shows up, I think wherever it was Tom said, sothing like spooky Dracula something, And he was the guy during boor on the floor who was like really really into it.
Speaker 2: He's like, yeah, I would you get that sot. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the Gojo confab happens at like this really gorgeous resort of some kind Norwegian kind.
Speaker 2: Of like I don't know. He seems to be very comfortable there.
Speaker 1: There's beautiful there's like a gondola going up to the top of this peak, and then all the buildings are like this glass and closed, like futuristic shit like that the billionaire would from X Macino would live in kind of now, as they're heading up in the gondola, the old guard, Carl in particular, is like, okay, Ken, do you want to go over the money one more time? And of course Carl has visions of of of Lesbos or some other Greek asle like dancing in his head, and and Ken is like, no, listen, I understand. One four is are absolutely can't go lower than this price, and we want to go higher than that, and we'd love one forty eight, but we'd settle for like one forty five. And when they say one forty five they mean.
Speaker 2: Billion billion, forty five billion dollar billion dollars.
Speaker 1: Uh and so, and Ken's like, I get it, so we'll get him. We'll get him about one to forty four. Meanwhile, Connor is back stateside and he's dealing with the fact that Marshall wants to wants to have Logan laying in his coffin in a kilt, which Connor thinks is weird despite the fact that Logan is from Scotland, was a Scottish man, a proud Scottish man, and a supporter of either Hibbs or Hearts And I'm not I forget do we know if Romans still oads that team Jack is co owner of either Hibbs or Hearts basically calls Ken saying, give me full authority to tell Marsha that we can't very pop in a kilt, and Ken is like whatever, he hangs up on.
Speaker 2: Him, and he also says, very blankly, He's like, send photos of your dad's inn bombed body, keep off.
Speaker 1: Uh. The boys initial meeting with Mattson begins with a really awkward like nod to the fact that Logan is freshly embombed, like not cold yet, and Madison wants to have a dead dad Dick measuring contest with Lucas saying at least you didn't find him in his BMW with the engine running, YadA YadA, YadA. And when this gets no reaction because it's a very very weird thing to say, like off like as a hello, he then goes, what, no, no sympathy for Lucas, no awe.
Speaker 5: For he is a true If you want already aware that Scott's God is playing Lucas Madison as an absolute sociopath, you will be aware by the end of this episode.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, So they get down to brass coffin nails quite quickly. The boys, backed by the board want more money for wast Star for various reasons. They think it's undervalue. They you know, they want at In out of the deal. They want the price up. Lucas meanwhile, I was saying, well, if you want, if you're taking something out but the price is going up, how does that make sense. I'm getting less and I'm paying more. And he says, what about this. Put at In back in the bag and I'll buy it all for one eighty seven to fifty to fifty cash stock deal. Now, for those counting, that is a lot more than one forty four.
Speaker 2: That is the dollar price for the each share. That's why I just remembered because I looked it up. So it's one hundred and forty four dollars a share or one hundred and eighty seven dollars a shah. But it's still like a fuck ton more, but just a real.
Speaker 1: A fuck ton of money. And again that is that is the expertise that market moves brigs to the numbers and the context and the stocks and the bonds and the ethereum and the crypto.
Speaker 2: It is a lot more. Eight one hundred and eighty seven is more than one hundred and forty four.
Speaker 1: Did you know that second prompt, Rosie? What is your absolute basement amount of money to tell everyone to go fuck off and and you would never be seen again. You'd just be living your life writing Gudzilla comics for fun and doing whatever you want with your life. What is the absolute bare minimum amount of money that you would be like, I can quit everything and I will move to somewhere and I'll just do nothing.
Speaker 2: I am an extremely thrifty person, so it's probably a lot lower than anything else. But we're talking succession, so I'll put up yeah, if if I could, I would take you know, I'll go in those I believe in no such thing as a good billionaire. I'm not going there, but I could do that for ten mil. I could be gone. No one would ever see me again, no question. I put a million in a high interest the count because that's kind of thing with your market moves. I buy a little house and you never see me again. I have no social media.
Speaker 1: I'm done. I like it. The current as of March ninth, twenty twenty three, Biden Harris administration, a defense department budget is eight hundred and forty two billion dollars. Wow. I would need about a trillion dollars to really settle down because I got too many things on my mind. I too many, I got too many ideas. I can't settle down for anything less than it. I would go as low as maybe eight hundred billion.
Speaker 2: I like that. I go as low. You'll take what the general average military budget is.
Speaker 1: I think that's fair, right, I think that is fair. Ken and Roman, now kenan Roman should leap at this one eighty seven. Yeah, we want it. That's so much immediately, like incredible. Now, of course, do your due diligence. You see, if you can prod him any higher, if he says one eighty seven off rip, maybe he'd go a little higher. But this is immediately it's a win. You can go back to the board and the board would would be throwing flowers at you forever, that forever. But because kenan Roman in their hearts and their dark, shriveled, little tiny pee hearts, don't want to sell.
Speaker 2: They want the deal. I just don't want it. I just want to say I have believed ever since Kendall got the phone call from Matson where Madson was like, if your dad pushes for more money, I'm not doing the deal. I believe Kendall has planned to tank this deal since then, and now he is planning to tank it even more. And hilariously, these two are such fuck ups they can't even tank the deal.
Speaker 1: Well in there, in fairness to Ken, Madson did say, hey, if you raise the price at all, I'm fucking out, and then they asked they tried to raise the price, and Mason clearly was not out. It's true, if it's true, if if this was like pure a move, which it's not, because they want to take the deal.
Speaker 2: But it was a move move.
Speaker 1: So the boys want to tank the deal, and Matson, I think understands on some kind of instinctive level, like a hog, you know, digging for for a truffle, understands that he smells some sort of like emotional weakness, even if he doesn't quite understand that that it's that they want to tank the deal. He understands that there's an emotional connection to at and that was their dad's baby. Their dad Logan fucking loved ATN. He made that big speech at ATN. He was gonna fucking install himself as the cock of the walk back at ATN. He's the rebuilders that part. He loved ATN, and the boys want it for that reason because his dad's favorite favorite thing in the world. It's like a like his favorite watch. And so Matson just wants it to fuck them, that's all he He just wants ATN to say, fuck you guys, and fuck your dad. He's dead. Fuck you. So the boys now have to figure out how to not tell the board what's going on, because they would clearly put tremendous pressure on them to take the deal. For her part, Shiv is fine with losing NTAN it sucks. It is against kind of her politics sort of. It's openly allied with neo fascist candidate Jared Mankin, who is apparently like directing the editorial over there at atn now. And it's time to sell it for an incredible aut amount of money and just enjoy life. And the boys say, okay, yeah, totally, we'll look into that. Meanwhile, they're going to kill the deal. And as is going on, there are rumors of the Viking kill list circulating amongst everyone on the waist side. Third propt Who would you kill? Of? Who would you keep? Rosy Coe is acquiring not just Wastetar but also Gojo. You're acquiring both companies in a tremendous fifty to fifty cat Stark deal directly out of rosy cost pockets.
Speaker 2: That's a lot of money I should have already disappeared. I'm sorry, who are.
Speaker 1: You retaining and who are you firing?
Speaker 2: I'm I'm absolutely retaining. I'm sorry. I don't care if she doesn't have the I'm putting this inverted Commas experience here, Shi is staying. I think she is the only one with any sense. She I'm also doing. I like what Shiv does here, as we will get into. I'm keeping Carolina. I'm keeping Jerry Carolina. I like yeah, I like that too, I'm keeping those three. I'm mad if I'm really doing it, I'm making one of those kind of deals where like I'm paying them so much money. I'm not having any Matt's in Roman, Kendall or gone, Like, go sit somewhere else with your money. Do not be here with your sociopathic, terrible business plans and awful scandalous I'm bringing in somebody completely new to run it. You're all out, but gallo of money, because that's the way this stuff goes.
Speaker 1: I like those picks. Here's who what I would keep. If I was acquiring a Gojo n Wat Star and really everybody in succession. If I'm buying the entire succession IP for a tremendous amount of money fifty to fifty cash stock deal, I would retain Willa and Listen Sand.
Speaker 2: Okay, Winning over Sand was a flop.
Speaker 1: Okay, the sand wasn't right, among many other things, and the acting and the writing were terrible. But in the creative process, there's no such thing as failure. You got to keep going like that. This was her first foray into into writing for the stage on a big in a big way, you know, the biggest on Broadway, the biggest.
Speaker 2: Way, and and it was a good first try.
Speaker 1: And I think that listen, as they say in the business, buy the dip. That was the dip that stock is, the will of stock is the lowest can get. I think it can only go up. I am buying Willa because I think those second and third and fourth projects are gonna be better than Sad. I'm keeping Jerry because I think she's the only one that's good at a job.
Speaker 2: Yes, I agree.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna keep Frank because I just like that guy too.
Speaker 2: He's a good guy to having your corner, that's right.
Speaker 1: And I'm gonna keep Colin because somebody might try to throw on because I'm so so so rich after acquiring the succession ipe and you know, one of these pinko socialists might try to throw urine on me as I walk into the building.
Speaker 2: Okay, I just want to say, I think all your picks. If you are listening and you want to know who to buy on, I say buy on Willa because you know something that we learned today that has been kept fairly out of the press, and the narrative of this show and to the sidelines is the Royko Wata entertainment business. We are gonna wait somebody to oversee the storytelling. The movie we have going on, as we will get into, is not doing wow. We need vision. We need how to come in and tell my budget what to do.
Speaker 1: Ballon CG is not looking good. The robot spends too much time active.
Speaker 2: In the cave.
Speaker 1: We need to pump this up. We need a franchise, folks. We need a hit. We need a tent pole, and we need like the sequel, and we need the trilogy, and then we need the spin offs. And I think Willa is the person to do it. I freaking do it this, Listen. It's much easier, I think, to write for the summer movie blockbuster market than it is for Broadway with those snooty people. And I think you're right, You're absolutely right about that. Kenon Roman counter they say, what's the okay? We take at and back out. What's the price for the deal? Mattson says, listen, why do you even want it? It fucking sucks. It's propaganda for angry elderly diabetics. Which is all true, but he just wants it, and he and he doesn't even want to say why he wants it because he's just buying it.
Speaker 2: He's like, I'm just gonna make it like Bloomberg. If you're gonna be simple, it's gonna be cheap, and it's gonna be great, and you guys can ask nothing about it.
Speaker 1: And then he shits on the Boys and Shive and says, basically like, listen, your dad was one thing, but you guys are just a tribute band.
Speaker 2: That's such a good insult that's up that would legendary succession insults.
Speaker 1: The boys and Shivs say, okay, we'll take it to the board, but of course the boys don't want to take it to the board, and that night, without ship, they decide to take the deal off.
Speaker 2: Sal Sal Sal Sal Sal Kenda La Murta's chaotic motherfuckers, they say about they're like to their credit, they do talk about bringing Shiv in, and then Ken says, but do you think Pinky can dance?
Speaker 1: Do you think that she could do this song and dance required to tank the deal? And of course they don't think she can do it, so they cut her up fucking guys, These fucking guys while that's going on show. She's not a staying good She's not just like doing could see in the box that people want to put her in. She goes and meets one on one with Matton, who is blowing coke. Now, Shiv an expectant mother. No one knows this is offered coke. And if you'll notice, she just puts it in her hair. She pretends that she's gonna stort it, but she just puts it in her hand. And I think that's responsible, and that's the kind of thing you want to see.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you this episode. I've always been a Shiv fan. Okay, but she's got problems and they all have. You're being incredibly toxic romantic partner. But I am now rooting for Shiv, and I actually have I understand that people are taking her arc this season in two different ways. Some people see it as she's being pushed to the side or being put in a kind of fem fatale trope that doesn't suit her. I personally love to see Shiv taking on these idiotic men and using her kind of feminine wiles on that she is doing at least the tiniest amount of effort and they are absolutely failing for it, and she is gaining control over them. And I loved this sequence with Madison because he gives a way too much and she now knows that she has this incredible leverage going forward that she keeps that south correctly.
Speaker 1: So I love this take. Shiv listen. Has shev made some mistakes? Did she ask for an open marriage on the on her wedding night with Tom? Did she cheat on her husband with her old flame Nate the campaign manager of succession Bernie gil Evis. Did she convince a sexual assault survivor to take the money and not press her kes against waste star? Has she numerous times sold out her so called ideals because you know, she is involved in this family that is openly according a neo fascist candidate. Yes, but she will not do cocaine in the first trimester. And I think that that, among other things, is something that we need to laud about that, Lord Hivroy, thank you, And so shiv uh listen, Shiv is out here. She's digging in the digging in the hedges, gaining intel mattson his his vocal cords loosened by the Colombian White marching Powder starts talking about Ebba Gojo, head of Calms, saying that, you know, there was a weird thing with Ebba where I was kind of in a relationship with her, and then we broke it off kind and it was obviously not a good breaking it off, and then I started sending her vast quantities of my blood because it.
Speaker 2: Was kind of a joke, but it was kind, and.
Speaker 1: Then it wasn't a joke, and then it was serious, and now it's not a joke, and this is obviously highly damaging information. And at the end of which Shiv kind of offers soft offers to consult with Mattson about the goings on at Waste Star so that he can kind of get the lay of the land. And he says he likes her because she's cool and can take a joke, which is a lot of red flags from a guy who's been sending blood is a joke former employee blood, Yes, I will also.
Speaker 2: Say I this is another reason I was really loving Shiv. Here she uses this as a moment to basically secure Carolina's future in this because he's like, how's your head of comms, He's like, I've been sending my blood. She's a nightmare, and she's like, well, mine's great. She's so good at her job. She knows exactly what she's doing. And in that moment, Carolina's name supporting with solidarity. We love supporting the victim of his stalking campaign. Of course she's stan fired, but she's supporting the stronger woman, her stronger friend, she says, the one she knows personally. And I loved that because it is this great duality. I should be just supporting and enabling this. Her abused it, but she's like, my friend, she's actually.
Speaker 1: Really moves here on market moves as allies. We support powerful women, supporting powerful women over weaker women.
Speaker 2: Look, we support women's rights and women's wrongs. It's fun to see that. We like to say it.
Speaker 1: Ken puts his plan into motion. He uses Greg for this suddenly become moderately useful. Uh, and he basically says, hey, Greg, I need you to talk to this reporter who's going to call you and basically say that things are not looking good. The Swedes are fucking weirdos, and the culture is not a fit and YadA YadA YadA. Jess meanwhile, is tasked with setting up a distraction for the Gojo Vikings, and that is to set up a screening of the full rough cut of the latest of Waste War Studios Summer blockbuster offerings, a sci fi tale about a robot in a cave that runs It's something for three hours and just make the Gojo people watch it.
Speaker 2: And it is like, this is one of those legendarily bad movies. You can just tell from the responses. Ever, she breezes out, She's like, I'm gonna come back. It's intrigued.
Speaker 1: There's so much, super much to think.
Speaker 2: About, and this is a movie that is like, imagine, I will talk about I will mention one of my favorite Hollywood flops. Look it up. There's incredible reporting around it. There was a movie named Monster Trucks. It was based on the idea by a producer's three year old kid about monster who lived inside of the monster truck. The movie bled millions, hundreds of millions of dollars. There are legends that the first time they test screened it, the monster they created was so horrific that kids ran out of the cinema screaming.
Speaker 1: Good, that's what we want.
Speaker 2: Whatever, This is the way Star's version of that, this is they're talking about millions. This is I would say three hundred and fifty million and down the pan the budget is exploding. No one's gonna go and see it. It's boring. And this is what you show to the people who are about to buy your company. They're trying to tang smart tanky smart play.
Speaker 1: Well, Shiv is like, what's going on here? This is are you guys up to my brothers? Are you up to something? And they're like no, no, no, no no uh. But also Shiv, sensing that there are things going on, understanding that information is not be shared for her shared with her, does not share the information about Ebba and the blood haha. Meanwhile, she goes to meet Tom and meets up with him like outside.
Speaker 2: The movie screening tent, and she.
Speaker 1: Says, Tom, your shoes are much too bright for people who are coming down off of Molly. She starts kicking dirt on his shoes. Incredible, and then so Tom flicks her ear lob and says, you have thick lobes like barnacle meat, and poof their passion is rekindled in that moment. Rosie Prompt number four, you need to walk out of a screening. What is the excuse that you use? You are Ebba?
Speaker 2: Oh, I must leave my FedEx guy. My FedEx guy just showed up with a new delivery okay of blood. I can't let it go called half the time to the freezer. Very important.
Speaker 1: I've just received very important blood and I must go. I like that, okay for me. Let's see, I'm walking out of the screening. David Zaslav is there. It'says, what do you think of it? Are you leaving? And I say, yes, I am leaving, but it's because I'm gonna take a page from Emba's book here. But I'm gonna say because it's just so emotionally raw.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I really need.
Speaker 1: To process this for I need to process it. I need to go outside and maybe call my therapist. And so much is coming up right now, and it's a lot. I shouldn't share that with you, but I'm gonna tell you that I need to talk to my therapist right now. I have her on emergency speed dial whenever I need her. And something about the way the robot sits in the cave is just bringing up a lot of things for me now, and I need to think about that. I need to call her and then I'll be back, you know, sometime after the movie is over, to sit in the empty theater. I'm going to come back when the movie is over and sit in my seat, because that's how powerful this movie is. Roman and can meet with Mattson. And at the end of the day, what happens is Roman finally snaps because of all the little subtle insults and jibes and a little different pokings and proddings and the little things that Lucas is doing. You know, he's just playing the high hand with them, and he's clearly doing this and kind of delighting in the fact that he's got them, you know, days after their father's death, and he loves this little power play he's running it. Finally, Roman snaps and says like, well, fuck you. We're not selling you the company and that's it. And by the way, we think you killed dad. We think it's your fault you let him dry because you were just like running them ragged back and forth to Norway or wherever, Scandinavia somewhere to think about the deal, do this, do that, and you killed him and we're not selling it. You go fuck off. Later on the plane back to the States, it is a newsbreak comes across everybody's phone and Frank says, so either Frank or Carl says, hey, look at this Mattson one nine two one two, and Matson effectively has cornered the boys by making it public, not letting them hide it from the board has gotten his revenge by saying, Haha, I'm going to buy your dad's favorite toy for one ninety two, and the board is going to make you do it. Lucas Matson for the win. Your final thoughts on this episode.
Speaker 2: Look, I'm not trying to be a Mattson apologist. I understand that I have condoned some pretty terrible behavior, but this has been nature of talking about billionaires. I just want to say Madson isn't wrong. Logan Roy was a prick and he was also a horrible say his kids, he was he was abusive, he was an awful man. Is it sensitive to say that just after he died?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: But is it untrue? Also? No, I thought that Lucas came out as the winner here. Shiv has moved up in the rankings. To me, if she wants to be a betrayer, if she wants to go against her brothers who have already cut her out, she could end up in a very horrific but powerful position here agree a Madson ally and potential I don't know. A Matis and Shive wedding would be so horrific. I don't even know if I could deal with it. But I feel like Shiv has become the power player at the end of episode five. Now that will all change with episode six, but were right here. I think Shiver and Madison come out on top after the trip to Norway up.
Speaker 1: Next episode six, Episode six Living plus. So the operation tank the deal obviously got more complicated when Lucas Matson whipped out his hundred and ninety two valuation yard stick, but that doesn't mean the boys are just gonna quit trying to tank it. The latest plan and get this, this is the latest scheme and I think it's crazy, but it just might work. Boost the value of waste Star past one ninety two because the thought is that Lucas Matson doesn't have any You can squeeze that orange, but once one ninety two comes out, that's it. The orange has gone Dray The do nothing past one ninety two so if they can boost the valuation of the company past one ninety two, that's it. The deal is off and they will keep it. How will they do this Living Plus? What is leaving plus? You ask? Imagine a cruise ship but on dry land with like uh a live forever medical stuff involved in it, hew, vampire blood, h you know, baby DNA something. You will be in a cruise ship, but you'll be on dry land with security guards watching your every move.
Speaker 2: Will be giving you infusion. It does, that's right.
Speaker 1: They'll be IP characters running up and down, and meanwhile you'll be given the latest in life prolonging drugs. Okay, Ken is hoping that Living Plus it will be like tech meets real estate, and it'll be the stock viagra that'll that'll get it up past one nine. Matson's flirtation slash counter intelligence scam with Shiv continues that I love to say private jets they met their Matson comes out barefoot to Shive's private jets.
Speaker 2: Also, I just want to say this was a huge power play by ship here again, Bye bye bye ship. At this point, because he turns up, they meet where their planes are being refueled, so no one can see them, and he says, oh, I landed, come and see me. And she's like, nah, my plan's being refueled. I don't need to leave it, and he has to go to Shiv's plane. She is playing him like a fiddle. He needs her, but I'm enjoying how much she's making him work for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why I I always have a fresh plane waiting. I don't want to wait for the refuel I have the fresh private jet waiting at the tarmac, and then I have the I have this crane that kind of like puts the plane that I'm in on the side, and I fall out the door into the door of the other plane onto a couch, and then the plane takes off.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say that I don't have to wait. You cannot tell me that you would spend your time walking down the stairs of the plane to a different plane.
Speaker 1: It's good I stopped using my legs years ago.
Speaker 2: When you.
Speaker 1: Uh so Mattson hates living plus as he should and also terrible. Yeah, it's not only a terrible idea. It's like if you were buying a car, a used car, and then the current owner of the car who's about to sell you the car is like, Hey, also, I'm I'm gonna put the car into pimp my ride mode and put five PlayStation consoles in the car before I sell it to you.
Speaker 2: And you have to pay for them.
Speaker 1: That's my car, don't I haven't bought it yet.
Speaker 2: But don't do that.
Speaker 1: So he doesn't get it. So Mattson makes his pitch. He's like, hey, kill this product launch because it's stupid. And also, I need someone inside who's going to tell me all the stuff that's going on, and that person should be you. And Shiv plays coy, but she's thinking about it, just thinking about it. A fifth prompt is Mattson serious or he is he going to betray Shiv as well? Does thing really wanted hire her on as his like head of whatever.
Speaker 2: I think that Mattson has a short and intense attention span like many sociopaths, and I think yes, I think Shiv is very curious to him, and I think he is interested in the way that she doesn't really bow to him or have any real interest in the deal. He obviously also thinks he can get something from her, but I think for now he is committed to this bit, whether it would outlast him getting what he wanted, or them sleeping together, or Shiv joining or the merger. I don't know, but I do believe in these moments he sees her as an ally That's right.
Speaker 1: I think that's right. Everyone on the waste side is in LA for Yesterday Disney plus Day flu Kennan Roman brief the execs, including the old Guard, on the latest about the deal. Ken then kind of soft pitches do we really want to do the deal? Do we really want it? Like, isn't Mattson's kind of weird? And then Roman chimes in, He's like, yeah, he's like he's like confidentially, you know, like obviously not for wider you know, wider spread. This is just for this room cone of silences. Matts and crazy. Is he mentally ill? He kind of went like berserk on us when I blew up at him, and you know, it's obviously like we're not medical professionals and it's not for us to say. But maybe he's unwell, I don't know, And then Jerry says, but okay, but he's a genius. Everybody thinks he's a genius, and nobody minds when geniuses act weird. Look at Elon Musk or any other person that people think are geniuses. They all do weird shit and everybody's like, that's great because they're fucking geniuses. And then Carl who's still sizing up you know which Greek island he's gonna buy, like he's trying on a pair of suede.
Speaker 2: Shoes, basically flicking through the brochure.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's like, yeah, don't worry. This is a weirdo who cares like I'm fucking ready to cash out big time. Sixth prompt, Rosie, you need to kill a deal. Everybody wants this deal. I want the deal, Vasillis wants the deal, Chris wants the deal, Saul wants a deal. Delan wants to deal. Everybody wants the fucking deal. You are involved in the team that is forging the deal and you want to kill it. How do you kill it?
Speaker 2: Oh man, I'd be so bad at this. Let me put my market moves hot. I would kill the deal by saying, look, if if you guys, if we do this deal, then the only way I'm gonna do it is I'm going to take all the money and I will be the one who does the deal. And no one else will get any deal money, so the deal will be out of us. So we may as well just not do the deal and then you guys don't lose his money that you don't have it.
Speaker 1: That's good. I think that could work. I could work with a little with a little framing. Let me try it. So you know, I'm sitting there in in X Ray Vision headquarters over in Malibu, right on the beach. Oh yeah, And we're sitting there in the boardroom and we're looking out at the ocean, and Vasilli's is flipping through, uh, you know, his his iPad Greek Island pages of Greek islands where he's gonna start his cult. And Ryan is thinking about buying the Knicks, and Chris and Sol are going to open a movie studio. And I'm and I need to tank this deal, this deal that's going to make us all even more monstrously rich than we are. And I'm going to look. I look at everybody in the eye, and I say, and I sigh very heavily, and I stand up, and I put both hands on the table, and I look down, and I look up and I say, and I make eye contact with everyone in the room, and I say, money isn't everything. It's that literally it is. It isn't it's not physically if you look at it from a physics perspective, science, money is not actual everything, all of the matter in the universe. So think about that, guys, and do we really want to do this? Maybe not. I think it could work, import I mean the shot silence tells me it's working. Shiv, meanwhile, smells something rotten in Gothenburg, which I think is a Swedish city. She can sense from this conversation and the way that Ken and Roman are speaking that they maybe don't want the deal and to tell, and it's really smart to tell for her, is that they've all of a sudden are bringing up that Mattson is craving, perhaps mentally ill, and they didn't gossip about it with her mean girls style, which is something that they would have naturally done. So she presses and they admit that, yes, they're trying to fuck the deal.
Speaker 2: You're trying to the deal. They cannot lie to Shive her power. Sorry, They're so sorry, and they can't believe they didn't tell. I just want to say as well, Shive again. An incredibly powerful situation because Matson had mentioned her on the plane like, oh, you know, your brother's like lost it and like told me like go fuck myself, and and she was like, sounds like it sounds fake to me. And now she knows it's true because they're trying to like reflect and pretend that that's what Mason did to them. And yeah, and I mean, this was such a great moment for Ship and such a pathetic moment for Kendall and Roman because they just cannot even commit to the bit like if you're gonna cut her out, cut her out. You did not need to tell her this plan. It was a terrible idea, but they do it. And then Roman he wants, he wants to hug, he wants to feel better.
Speaker 1: I will say this it it aid a troubling amount of humanity from the brothers that they couldn't flat out lid of their sister who they apparently love his face, So that part of it, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I like that you see in the selfning.
Speaker 1: And now Shive the meeting, let's out, and Shiv has a scheduled a conference room in which to weep if she needs to, and now she needs to because this is actually a brutal betrayal from her brothers that she takes in stride in the room. She's like, oh, yeah, no big deal. Okay, you want to kill it, and you didn't tell me anything about it, and you've been talking about killing it apparently for days and plotting and scheming to kill it. And I'm supposedly I'm supposed to get read into every decision, but you've kept this from me, and uh. And she is actually very very emotional about it. She needs to cry. But then Tom walks in because he's just happened to blunder into that office place, and he comforts her and they kiss. A reunion is bubbling shockingly. Roman then has some business over at waste Our Studios and he goes to meet the head of the film division, Joy Palmer, big time muckety muck film and we would guess TV also.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wastear of course, as we've talked about, needs evaluation higher than one ninety two. So Roman thinking, okay, well, hopefully maybe maybe film can do that for us. Roman's idea is, if I just like love bomb Joy Palmer with all the money that she's ever wanted to make these robot in a Cave features, maybe they can make a franchiseable hit that will pump pump pump up the valuation of the company, and the and the Robot in a cave cinematic universe will be launched and it'll be big, and we could sell toys and we could sell blankets, and we can have little kids going to our movies and we launch a channel and all of that. Unfortunately, Joy then broaches the touchy topic of ATM being hand in hand with fascist presidential candidate Menken and how the Hollywood creative community is little bit uneasy.
Speaker 2: She's wrong, it's a good parking, it's a very good point.
Speaker 1: Feel a little bit weird about it, and there is still troublingly for Roman, it's still enough competition in the space that they could theoretically decide not to work with we, so they could take their robot in a cave features somewhere else, and then what will we do? And Roman, irritated at the sensation of any kind of like brief kind of like gesture of criticism, fires Joy or something.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's very he puts out there as kind of a jokey threat, and then when she doesn't immediately start kissing his ass, he kind of decides he's going to commit to it, but it's also unclear whether it would legally be something he could do in that way because there are like ten other people he would have to go through. But WHOA, it was really bad. Roman is just not cut out for this. I love Roman, I have a love of love for him. Terrible, awful person, but in the context of the show, has like a little bit more humanity than other people. But him and Kendall are both going for the new title of Logan roy and it is not good.
Speaker 1: I think Shiv is doing as well. So that brings us to our seventh prompt. Who is the most logan of the children, Ken, Roman, Shiv or Connor. Who is the most currently logan esque of the Logan spawn?
Speaker 2: It's Shiv because Shiv interesting is the one who is currently working with their competitor to betray them, something that Logan has actively done in the past. She is not giving them the information that they could use against him, like the propensity for sharing and sending blood to ex girlfriends. And also, when like you very kind and generously pointed out, Roman and Kendall were opening up to Shive and admitting a wrongdoing, she did not do the same. She kept her options open. She is texting Lucas, she is calling Lucas, she is keeping him up to date, and she is doing it without a hair of anxiety or stress, like this is just like every day for her. So I do think while Kendall and Roman both think that they are playing at being the best logan, I think it is coming to Shive most naturally.
Speaker 1: I agree. I think at this particular juncture in the story, it is Shiv because she is she is moving quietly but to build her power, as you so aptly noted. Meanwhile, Roman, I mean this firing. He thinks it's something his dad would have done. But his dad would have fired someone from a position of strength of weakness, which is clearly what Roman just fired this person from a position to weakness. Meanwhile, Ken is getting up for the Living Plus presentation, and he's working with the stage crew to get the stage craft right. All he needs before the presentation, which is tomorrow, is like a legitimate like a little house.
Speaker 2: That will represent living pluses, living arrangements, you know, easy.
Speaker 1: Maybe we can think about like maybe Spanish style if you want to do that, or maybe those like really cute kind of like European gables. And then it'd be great if there was like a blue sky with like clouds moving across it, and doesn't have to be like full like Tony Stark, like you know, like Iron Man three, like holographic presentation, but it could be.
Speaker 2: But if it can be that you do it. You can do it.
Speaker 1: That's right. And and and he lays down a new rule for those Hollywood folks working for him. He says, you can't say no.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he says, this is a fun new rule. Nobody can say no, kind of that he is in on that, and that he got say no, but I will, Okay, So I need to ask you a question. This is more of a serious question. Sure, how's Kendall doing? Because he seems he seems like he may have either relapsed or he's in a mania or both, because he comes to this twenty four hours before the presentation and starts making like Broadway play style demands that would take three months, and he is excited about it and feels, honestly truly feels like everyone else is excited as him, when he's actually putting everyone out. He doesn't seem like he's doing great.
Speaker 1: I and anyone else who watches the succession television program on Max On Max No understands that there would be no amount of surprise it should Kin suddenly bobble a baggie of some white powder onto the like, and it would not surprise anyone. I would not be surprised. In fact, I would be It would surprise if he wasn't dabbling, right, I would be surprised if he wasn't in, you know, Scrooge mcducking into various vats of white drugs. Shive and Tom's ongoing unie continues a pace with the investor de Gala with a little game of bite, which apparently Shiv has a game that she used to play which she has never shared with her husband soon to be ex husband, and the game goes, you bite each other's arms until one of you can't take the pain anymore, and that's it. Later, they go to Shiv's hotel room and Tom admits that he betrayed her in season three basically for the money. He never you know, Shiv, I love money. You know that I love money. You never let me wet my beak in the money, never let me in, and it was always gonna be me between you and your dad. And I picked your dad because he's got a lot of money and I can buy some nice watches, and I thought that was the most experient way of the money. And let's be honest about it, you wouldn't give a shit about me if I didn't have nice watches. Nice suits could take you to five star Michelin star restaurants. You don't want to go to fucking olive garden. You know you don't want to do that.
Speaker 2: You don't want to endless breadsticks, Yeah.
Speaker 1: You don't care about that, and then they have sex. X ray Vision will be back. Hold on to your cape as we journey through the internet to get to the x ray Vision YouTube channel, you can watch me Jason Gncepsione.
Speaker 2: And Me Rosie night every week Begs the analysis and deep dives into your favorite franchises.
Speaker 1: Test your fandom knowledge with discussions of the latest nerd news, castings and show lore.
Speaker 2: Subscribe to the x ray Vision YouTube now now and listen to new episodes from us every Wednesday and Friday.
Speaker 1: Do it now.
Speaker 2: And we're back.
Speaker 1: Jerry reads Roman the Riot Act for firing Joy without telling her, without telling anyone, just to the spur of the moment, and apparently Joy has retained counsel, and good for her.
Speaker 2: She needs it and she's gonna get big payout.
Speaker 1: And a huge payout, and honestly, like, is it not for the best Joy Palmer to be like free of this like terrible institution, which I but by the way, here's a little inside tip for all the listeners to market moves by waste star Bye.
Speaker 2: Bye, bye bye.
Speaker 1: Roman says, I didn't fire her. I said that she was fired to her, that's.
Speaker 2: All classic classic Vermiment. Never met a consequence. He can deny or.
Speaker 1: What uh you know, Roman, who we all remember jacking off against a window in season one. Anyway, uh now know he's Roman is feeling once again that sensation of criticism coming from a person, and he says, essentially to Jerry, hey remember that thing where you were fired, where I fired you because Dad said to fire you and I did it. I delivered that message. Well, what if you're just fired all over again because something about cruises. You did it poorly and you're fired. And then she says, you know, be serious for a second. You are interim co CEO. You're just minding the store here. You're subletting and Jerry is not on the kill list. That's right. I'm going to be working at Gojo and be working very happily for multi billionaire Lucas Mathson and understand that tech is the real shit. They're not like this old money, out of fashion media money, kind of old people's stuff there, and they're where the juice is there, where the money is there, where the market is moving, and you just you just should realize that and go with the money. And it's like, well, maybe you're fired, maybe you're not. I don't know, and he walks out. He leaves in a very vague place. He basically threatens to fire Jerry, but we don't know if she's fine.
Speaker 2: And when he goes to teal Ken, he kind of wants Ken to pull it back because obviously loves Jerry. He's kind of like, you have to smooth that over. Maybe that was too much, and Ken's like, no, that was BALLA, that's fucking great ball. You're just making moves, You're doing it, and maybe these young tucks have the rights and the way to make something out of this. No, you don't, Kendall.
Speaker 1: That's why I say bye bye, bye, bye bye bye. Way start, and Ken says, you know, fuck it, drop Jerry's head in the end zone. I love it, just do you know, do the icky shuffle over her corpse? And that brings us to our eighth prompt, Joy or Jerry, who's fired or and who was merely told to them that they were.
Speaker 2: I think Joy is probably gonna keep that representation and get a massive payout because why fights to work for Roman, even if she's not really fired? Why are you going to do that? Take your because she's becomes a million.
Speaker 1: Because she passionately believes in that robot in the caves. In the cave, it's personal, it's a personal story. It's something from that speaks to her from her children, and she really passionally believes in the robot in a cave cinematic universe.
Speaker 2: Well maybe maybe then she'll fight for her passions, but I believe she'll probably take the golden parachute and begone. Uh, Jerry, I do believe that Kendall really likes this firing, But it do either of those children who by the way you made you made a great note in our preparation that is Shi's godmother. We lean hen that big succession Cannon here. I think that is a great and important note because Kendall and Roman might want to fire Jerry, but Jerry really has this. I think she'll just keep to showing up to work and getting paid. Like neither of them knows how to do it. Child's not gonna fire Jerry. How you do it? They don't really know. They can say it's fired, and she's still chilling.
Speaker 1: Like originally it's like walking into the into the cockpit of the space shuttle and being like, well, what button fires.
Speaker 2: Jerry exactly exactly, like or going into being like the pilot's fired, and everyone on the pilots like, we need to land the space show and you're like, okay, he's fired after that, and everyone's like, yeah, sure, sure he's fired. Like I don't believe we've seen the last of Jerry, and especially since she is still chilling with the old guard during what will surely become another legendary Kendall performance.
Speaker 1: Well, the conversation that follows this with Carl, I think will inform the status of Jerry Ken As we saw with Logan's birthday Wrap, is a is a natural stage performer. He just gets off on it. He is at home there, and not even the fact that the clouds over the cabin that he had built is just like missed, looks like it's very bad, it looks terrible. Even that doesn't really dampen his excitement to get up on the stage for the first time since l to the OG. He is somewhat shaken. However, when Roman fresh off this conversation with Jerry and in which Jerry essentially says, hey, you have to let this deal go through. What the fuck are you talking about?
Speaker 2: And also, i will say, secretly being manipulated by shivin Matson, because shit, Matson is saying please stop this, please stop this. So Shiv's kind of spoot trying to spook him by making him think it's going to go wrong and pointing out that Kendall is clearly over hyped about this and that the stage looks terrible. So basically Roman has everyone in his AA saying stop this.
Speaker 1: That's right. So Roman says to Ken, you.
Speaker 2: Know, is this a good idea? Do we want to do this?
Speaker 1: The numbers that you're gonna go up there with the presentation that is, let's face it, it's mostly science fiction. The numbers don't quite add up.
Speaker 2: You have been fake in the numbers. You may may or may not have ai fake dog Dad into pretending the numbers were.
Speaker 1: You did fit, You did do that, and is that, like, you know, forget the legal implications of lying directly to our shareholders. Maybe we shouldn't do it. And Ken is a little bit shaken by this and then has he leaves that room. Carl, the CFO of Wastar Royco, steps to him and is and is really tough with him. He says, Listen, I've put up with a lot of shit over the years from your dad, but I have been a major executive at lots and lots of big, big time companies, and I've been around the fucking block, buddy, And if you try and fuck with this deal, I will chop your fucking nuts off. Okay, he says, you have my dick in your hand, but I've got yours in mind, and fuck with the deal and I'll blow up your spot. And that's it, and Carlson and that and Carl walks away, and it's a wonderful power play by Carl and you have to feel like, now there's a moment here where Ken basically says, well, I'm the CEO and you're the CFO. What if I find you? Basically implying like, what if I fire you? And Carl Uh says, and this is where this informs the Jerry conversation. He basically says, when you gonna fucking fire the CFO a few days after you take control of the company, like two days after your dad died, in the midst of an interim situation in which you are selling it coming to somebody else? How's that going to play? Do that? Yeah? Good luck? And I feel like the same thing would happen exact General Counsel.
Speaker 2: And the funniest thing about this as well is I love I actually kind of love to see the kids losing a little bit of that and a little bit of control. It starts to seem like the rope is a little bit greased and they're sliding down it. Because the real truth is there is a major subplot in this episode where Kendall is forcing the accountants to fake numbers like this is not just a potential you know risk, This could blow up in everyone's face, including Colin. Cal wants that fucking island bro.
Speaker 1: He wants that island man, get the hummus going get the Spanic Coipeda going exactly democracy, the whole thing, you know, the fucking the Spartans, the Peloponnesian War, all the history, all that shit. Fucking let's get it going. And that's what he's gonna be doing, is studying the rich history of the development of European democracy and the traditions of democracy that have formed our beautiful American system. And he's gonna be doing that, studying that with his brother in law there on the island that he is going to purchase all academic pursuits merely for the betterment of the mind, exactly.
Speaker 2: Ultimately mankind, because if his mind gets back everyone well, you know, every ship will be lifting the things that will happen on the Greek island to be named later owned by Carl, and his brother in law will put this down and buy stock in this. We was better the human race, back said the human race.
Speaker 1: Every problem that we face, war, injustice, in a quality island paper straws, all of that will be solved on some Greek islands that we don't know about right now. Ken's presentation is what it may be. Cringe so hard. I blew out a vertebrae in my neck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it starts absolutely horrific to watch. My mom had to leave hard. My mom is visiting and she had to leave because the episode made us so uncomfortable. Not fully forever. Just go for a walk.
Speaker 1: He He opens by saying, big shoes, you know, saying that you know, he's filling his father's shoes. He says, he repeats the phrase big shoes at.
Speaker 2: Least like nine times, and everyone is watching him like this man is having Enovis breakdown, Like this is less than the rap.
Speaker 1: Then he says whose big shoes, and logan appears on the screen computer well, you know, computer background, but like assets taken from an earlier shoot hyping up Living Plus, obviously taken before the absolutely tragic de mind Logan Roy high in an airplane with his mistress and other executives. He and and uh and aided. This presentation is by, as we have noted, completely spurious fictional numbers. Bottom line with the numbers and Logan Roy's CGI edited form say that Living plus will double. That's right, you heard right, you heard correctly. That's not earwax in your ears. You don't have to take the AirPods out of your ears. You heard right, was Star Roy COO's value will double because of Living Plum.
Speaker 2: Everybody loves everybody loves it. But I just need to say, if you're wondering what living plus is. Kendall essentially goes on stage pictures this horrible kind of fabricated community where there will be security guards, you can see Goofy, maybe a director will walk past who made a sleeping sleeping robot. And the big promise is that you will essentially live forever. He promises people immortal life. We are getting into very weird territory here. Now this is based on they legally real There are real things like medication and they call it life extension treatments. You know, you get blood infusions, plasma transfusions. Thanks for the extremely rich. But Kendall essentially comes out and promises people they can live on a cruise ship for their whole life on land with a security guard. They can meet Goofy, they can have blood transfusions and live forever. And it is one of the worst things you've ever seen. And of course, because succession is horribly realistic, everybody fucking.
Speaker 1: Loves everybody up. The stock is going crazy. People are fucking going crazy. Jim Kramer over med money.
Speaker 2: Oh he's saying bye bye bye bye bye bye bye. He's going bye bye bye. He just like his butt.
Speaker 1: His actual blew up.
Speaker 2: They blew and.
Speaker 1: Flew across the studio. Such was the excitement at the at the announcement of Living Plus. You know who doesn't like it is Lucas Madsin.
Speaker 2: I was gonna tweets who tweets? Uh die?
Speaker 1: I forget the actual phrase, but it is the German phrase that was over the concentration camps that welcomed the the sad victims of the concentration camps, and translated it means something like work will set you free, York will set you free. Basically, he is trying to say in a joking way that these are concentration camps for rich people who willingly go there, and not a great I don't think that's a good I would.
Speaker 2: Say, never do any tweets about the course in general, like especially not a joke tweet where you put it next to a character, a fictional character. Very horrific business. I have to say this was a big turnaround because Mattson he thought he was doing something here. Unfortunately for him. Kendall dealt with it enough. He seizes the moment and kind of he half makes a joke. He acts incredibly magnanimously. He manages to end with a standing ovation thanks to his you know, Jurassic Park style Richard Attenburgh, Bryan Cooks, you know dad who's helping him there, and Mattison ends up making himself look like a Nazi, which, lets be real, he is meant to be an a right kind of Nazi tech nightmare. He did. He did quote the Nazis to be to be fair, so like he did just he did, and it makes Madison look bad, and it makes Kendall's stock value rise. He looks so high, and everybody loves Kendall. He might get to that one ninety two dollars per share with this performance, even Carl, who was ready to literally castraight him. Carl is like, this man's special.
Speaker 1: I see it, he says. I know special when I see it, because it's some of the Greek islands that I'm looking at are very special. And I get the same feeling when I look at Ken, I get that same feeling.
Speaker 2: I have to be honest, in that moment, I felt like for the first time this season, I felt like Karl's eyes moved away from the Greek Islands, and I felt like I felt like he might in that moment he was seeing he was getting sucked back into the roy black hole, and I think he sort of was considering, like what would it be like if he was like this all the time and we really could mold him into a new logan, like how much more money could I earn? How much more capital could I gain? How much further could I rise? Obviously betting on Kendall, who is a literal murderer and has had many emotional problems throughout this series. Not a good, bad manslaughterer. Oh sorry, sorry, sorry manslaughter. I don't know what the laws working in the in the UK England, but I don't know if it's the same, but I would imagine it would be like a manslaughter. I would say you murdered. The connotation does come with an expectation of intent, but I would say, if you kill a service welcome.
Speaker 1: With your car, I do you think you could say him casually that he murdered him?
Speaker 2: But you're right on market moves. This is about education and correct information. So if Ken did ever get held accountable, which will never happen. He would be a manslaughterer.
Speaker 1: I just want to be accurate. I'm not, that's right. I don't have any kind of legal acumen. I am not. I don't want to get much richer than him by waist hover right, I am much richer than Clara Simons me and I want to be accurate. It was probably man's flam.
Speaker 2: Probably man's law, and he has had many emotional ups and downs. I don't think it's a good bet. But I did see Carl. I felt like he got sucked into the I'm putting success in inverted commis because it was awful, but it did go well. Kendall's back on top, and I hate to see.
Speaker 1: Ken is on top, and he and and you can see the worry on his siblings face and Roman's face, on Shiv's face. They're thinking, God, has Ken is? Has Ken strapped himself of the rocket ship to the top of the mat? Has he actually done it? And Ken is high off of this. He then re edits his dad's video so that it and sends it to Roman so that their late father again passed away forty eight hours ago or something is saying to Roman, I have a big announcement to make Roman. Roy has a micro dick and he's never been right about anything, and Roman, being an absolute like pain pig, watches the video again and that again and again and again.
Speaker 2: And then listens to it also actually and putant to note here Greg is rising up the ladder of power very quickly, because it was Greg who illegally edited the deep fake style video of Logan Roy to say double wastear Roy coast value, where before it said to raise the value. And I feel like when it's unclear whether Roman knew that Kendall was gonna do that, and I feel like when he was listening to that edit, it was kind of like playing in his mind what Kendall had done, not just this cruel like masochistic thing. Honestly, like Kendall said when he watched the original cut of the video and his dad was insulting the kids, he said, that's a Valentine's Day card. These kids actually love to hear that hat. But I think Roman is feeling he's already starting to have to plan his play of how to get rid of Kendall or get back in the good books, because he's basically forgotten. Now Kendall is the CEO. There's no co CEO after Roman turned down being a part of that speech.
Speaker 1: How does Kin celebrate the highest moment of his professional career. Well, he wants to do it in water. Water has been such an important medium for Ken. It is, of course where he did murder a guy in water. It is where he tried to commit suicide in water in Italy, and now it is where he baptizes himself at the church of his own success, diving into the waves off the coast of beautiful Malibu, emerging to stare into the gray slate sky and think about what a fucking badass he is, Which brings us to our final prompt of this double sized. Much like the stock valuation of waste oar Home double, this episode has gone double. The final prompt who is the biggest threat to Ken? Ken is at the mountain top right now, and you know what that means. There's only one way to go, and that is down. Who if anyone will bring him down? Will it be Jerry, Carl and Frank the old Guard and also Ray that guy. Will it be Shive in cohoots with either Tom or Matson or both? Will it be Matson alone, Will it be Roman alone? Who is going to be the person who knocks Ken off of his perch.
Speaker 2: I'm on the Shiv train today and I'm sticking with it because Shiv has so much control over Matson that in this episode, Shiv is the one who tells Mattson do a tweet to fuck over Kendall. He does it, that terrible tweet, and then Shiv calls him and says, you need to don't that was a bad tweet, and he deletes the tweet. So shared tweet, mad tweet, shad tweet, bad tweet, the words of Ken. She has a lot of power right now over a very irrational and edgy, but very powerful man. I think those two are a big threat. Even unintentionally. They could just really fuck things up. If they put them heads together and actually actively try and take Kendall down, he'd be in trouble. But there's also just shenanigans that could occur between them that could end up forcing Kendall into a bad place. So that's my bad at the end of this I like that.
Speaker 1: Pick two, and I think that these moments of vulnerability that they're giving us with Shiv, the reveal of the pregnancy, the tears, the kind of like deep emotional frustration and pain and hurt, and the betrayals of her brothers that she's having to keep under this placid mask. I think that they're setting us up to feel the vengeance that she is going to put into play. Now, is it gonna go? As we think this is succession and they're always subverting us. Yes, for instance, you know, I mean just the fact that they give Ken a win here, I know is a big subversion that we're so used to. We're so used to Ken losing, from killing a guide and trying to kill himself to saying to wrapping you. We're so used to him getting kicked in the ass. That is it was quite a shock and surprise to see him win. And I feel as if even if Shiv does quote unquote win, it will be a chalice with a lot of poison. Yes, I agree, And that brings us to this edition of Market Moves. Can't wait to talk to you next week about the upcoming episodes of the Succession Program. We hope that you follow all of our financial advice and succeed beyond your wildest dreams. As the Socks will only go up is just a word success, finance, bonds, crypto mutual funds going going up.
Speaker 2: In today's not outway, you tell us what you love? Am why oh a theory that you're excited to share. David pitches us on Red Dead Redemption two and why it should be the next video game adapted for TV. I can't actually believe that hasn't happened yet. It's a good idea they must be thinking about.
Speaker 4: Hi, Jason and Rosie. My name is David, and I want to talk to you guys about the Red Dead Redemption universe, which I think should be the next TV adaptation of a video game. I've played Red Dead Redemption two. I picked it up during the pandemic when I needed to pass the time with a new game, and I feel like it's the best single player storyline I've ever played. It's a huge, open world game with hours upon hours of different main quests and side quests, and what really makes Red Dead Redemption two special is the storyline and the character development of not just the main character, Arthur, but the various different side characters you get to play along with. Especially I think Sadie Adler's is the best character development in the game. Essentially, what you get to do is you play as this member of the Vanderlin Gang, Arthur, and you're traveling through a world which is leaving the Wild West behind as America moves into the twentieth century, and your character starts to question his loyalty to the gang, his loyalty to his leader Dutch, and I don't want to spoil too much, but you just get to really see these characters grow change their mindset about the world around them. And I think that with the many different hours of gameplay and the character development, it really leads itself to a TV adaptation that could span multiple seasons, and then you could move into the story of Red Dead Redemption one, which follows a different character that you see grow in RDR two. So it's obviously my hope and dream that you know, a TV company picks us up and I get to share on the screen this game and story that I love with people who don't necessarily play video games all the time. So thanks for your consideration of this Nerd out pitch and a shout out to your sound guy Vasillis, who was a grad school classmate of mine.
Speaker 2: Cheers, Thanks David, If you have theories or passions you want to share, hit us up at x ray at cricket dot com. Instructions are in the show notes. As always, that's it for us, Rosie any plugs. Yes, it is Free Comic Book Day. This is a plug for you guys. On May sixth, Free Comic Book Day will be hitting your local comic shops. You can get free comic books. Many different comics from all different publishers will be available for free and you can go and grab them. I will be doing a signing. If you are in the LA area, you can come to Jeffrey's Comics, which is a really brilliant local comic shop that I love me and a bunch of my buds you've worked on Godzilla will be there along with a load of other cool local artists. You'll be able to grab some free comics, get some stuff signed, buy some rad graphic novels, support a local comic shop, Come and say hi to me. It should be very fun.
Speaker 1: I love it well, folks. It is May. That means in a little over two weeks Sea nineteenth, on Amazon Prime, Slash Free v TV, you can watch the Primo television program Executive produced by Michael Shore, Television's Michael Short is a Good Place and the Office and Parks and Recreation, and four time New York Times bestseller Chai Serrano. It is a beautiful, wonderful single camera tail in the Michael Shore style that is sure to leave you laughing and clutching at your heartstrings. And it's available to watch. May nineteenth.
Speaker 2: Added to your watch list now.
Speaker 1: Amazon Freeview added to the watch list now. Catch the next episode of x ray Vision Friday, May fifth, in which we will discuss the final installment of the Guardians of the Galaxy trilogy, Guardians of the Galaxy Volume three.
Speaker 2: What a wild ride.
Speaker 1: It's a bit, It's a wild ride.
Speaker 2: If you want to see us as well as listen to us, you can subscribe on YouTube. Well you've watched full episodes of the show, can follow us on Twitter, x r V pod and check out the discord to me and hang out with tons of amazing fans and listeners plus Jason and Mayern't that that's right?
Speaker 1: Five star ratings. Five star reviews us we need them. Here's one from Johnny Blass. Fantastic. Jason and Rosie are very well researched and hilarious. Thank you love this podcast. Their love of comics has introduced me and throw me my children to the wonderful world of comics. Thank you so much for your commitment to excellence.
Speaker 2: Thanks oh John, Thank you Johnny.
Speaker 1: X ray Vision is a Crooked Media production of the show is produced by Chris Lord and Saul Rubin. The show is executive produced by myself and Sandy or art Our. Editing and sound designers by Vasillis Fatopoulos, Dilon Villanueva and Matt De Group provide video production support. Alex Rella for Handle social Media. Thank you Brian Vasquez for a theme music.
Speaker 2: See you next time. Bye,