Speaker 1: You're listening to Part Time Genius, the production of Kaleidoscope and iHeartRadio. Guess what Will?
Speaker 2: What's that Mango?
Speaker 1: So I was commuting this week to the Midtown offices at iHeart and I read a story that kind of related to my commute. It's about a guy named Morton Plant.
Speaker 2: Morton Plant. What a great name. I feel like you could just stop right there and I'd be happy. I think we're done.
Speaker 1: That's it. Well, it is a great name, but it gets a little better. So Plant was a financier who had made a fortune from his family's railroad company. And this was in the early nineteen hundreds. He built himself a limestone mansion on Fifth Avenue and fifty second Street, which is obviously a pretty smank area, and then a decade later he built another mansion on fifth and eighty sixth Street. Now, when Plant and his wife relocated, he agreed to lease the fifty second Sat property to a pair of up and coming jewelers. And they were named Lewis and Pierre Cardier, and they had been outgrowing a smaller shop up the street.
Speaker 2: So Cardier like the jewelers we know today, right, Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: And around the same time Plant's wife May she walks past the Cardier window and she spots this gorgeous double strand natural pearl necklace, so it is super fancy, and she tells her husband all about it, and he decides he's gonna do the romantic thing. He's gonna go out and get it for her, which is really really sweet, right it is, But I don't think you'd leave it just there.
Speaker 2: I feel like there's gonna be a twist to this story.
Speaker 1: We're gonna end this episode twice early Sinday. Right, No, there is a twist. So this isn't just any necklace. It is incredibly expensive. So Plant made a deal with the Cardiers. In exchange for the necklace and one hundred dollars in cash, he traded them his mansion, his entire mansion. So he's wait, he traded his mansion for a single necklace. Yeah, but at the time the necklace was valued at a million dollars, which is about twenty four million dollars to day, so it's not like he exactly got ripped off. In fact, he was thinking quick and figuring out how to purchase a gift without like, you know, liquidating any funds or anything like that. He really wanted this for his wife. The problem was that, unbeknownst to Mordan Plant, at that very moment, a Japanese entrepreneur was developing technology to produce cultured pearls at scale, and this changed everything about the price of pearls. So basically, this new industry caused the value of natural pearls to plummet, so that by the time may Plant died in the nineteen fifties, her necklace was worth just one hundred and fifty one thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Only worth one hundred and fifty one thousand dollars, I mean, that's not even worth wearing mango. That's almost embarrassing to have a necklace worth this time.
Speaker 1: But no, I mean like twenty four million dollars.
Speaker 2: True, No, that that is wild. And what we do know you definitely can't buy a fifth avenue mansion for that amount of.
Speaker 1: Money, definitely, But remember the Plants still had their other fifth Avenue mentioned, so you don't have to feel too bad for them. And to this day, more than plants Old Home is the Cardier's flagship store in New York, so you can think of him the next time you're making a reckless purchase to impress someone you love.
Speaker 2: I will keep that in mind. Well, today we've got eight more stories of romantic gestures gone a little bit wrong or sometimes a lot wrong, because that is how we celebrate Valentine's Day around here. Whether you're single, taken, or it's complicated, this one's for you. So let's dive in. Hey, their podcast listeners, welcome to Part Time Genius. I'm Will Pearson, and as always, I'm here with my good friend Mangesh hot ticketter and over there just sobbing into a pine of Hogan DAWs. I know he loves Hogan DAWs, but he's crying into it today. That's our pal and producer Dylan fag And now I'm no expert Mango, but this looks to me like a classic case of heartbreak. So poor Dylan and Valentine's Week, So I don't know, it just seems like a tough one for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but actually he's holding up a sign it says I didn't get dumped. I just did my annual rewatch of A Walk to Remember, which I believe is a Mandy Moore movie.
Speaker 2: You know, I've actually never seen it. Mango, I need to confess that.
Speaker 1: He's making another sign now that says this one says, I cannot work for people who've never seen a walk to remember. So we don't want to lose Dylan. So we'll be streaming that tonight.
Speaker 2: Tonight, for sure, I'm on it.
Speaker 1: So this week we thought we'd do something on romantic gesture has gone wrong. And one of the things I found in my research were cards known as vinegar Valentine's. Have you heard of these?
Speaker 2: Will? I don't think I have? What are they?
Speaker 1: So? They're like straight out of middle school mean Kids playbook, as Atlas Obscura describes them. In the Victorian era, there was no better way to let someone know they were unwanted than with the ultimate insult, the vinegar Valentine, also called comic Valentine's. These unwelcome notes were sometimes crass and always a bit emotionally damaging end quotes. So essentially they were these commercially bought postcards that you would like mail like Valentine's cards, except that they'd contain an insulting poem or illustration. And I can't imagine a crush walking up to me like smiling and then handing me one of these Like. It just feels so devastating because instead of like I choose you, choose you or whatever, here's what one reads. It reads quote, you claim you're good at everything, so come on, show me proof and let me see how good you are by jumping off a roof.
Speaker 2: Oh the horrible. That is insane. Mango.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess nothing says I hate you like a vinegar Valentine. The Smithsonian called it an early of trolling. But it's a little different from what we're talking about today, which is mostly elaborate romantic gestures that just went wrong. So will what do you want to start with today? All right?
Speaker 2: I think we need to go way back, Mango. I think we should start with Stonehenge. Of course, you know the big pile of rocks in England.
Speaker 1: Or little pile of rocks if you're watching spinal tap. But this is true, I am familiar.
Speaker 2: All right. Well, archaeologists believe it was arranged in its current semicircular shape sometime around twenty five hundred BCE, so a long time ago, and believe it or not, for a long time it was privately owned. The property was bought and sold several times finally ended up in the hands of a family called Antrobus. Now they passed it down through the generations until Sir Cosmo Antrobus inherited from his older brother Edmund, who died in early nineteen fifteen.
Speaker 1: I mean, Cosmo Antribus is another amazing name.
Speaker 2: We are racking them up today and there's more here. So enter our next character, who is a barrister by the name of Cecil chubb An another great name. It's just like one after another. Well, anyway, one day in the fall of nineteen fifteen, Cecil makes plans to attend an auction in the town of Salisbury. Now, his wife Mary reportedly had sent him out with one task to buy a set of curtains for her while he was there, but instead he buys stonehenge, you know, goes out for curtains, ends up a stone hinge which their Cosmo had put up for sale. Now the price on this six thousand pounds, which is nearly six hundred and fifty thousand dollars in today's money.
Speaker 1: I feel like I can't imagine the conversation when he got home, Like, you know, he's talking to his wife and he's like, sorry, I forgot the curtains, but I did get you the most expensive pile of rocks in the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty much a big swish there. Well, apparently Mary Chubb wasn't thrilled with the surprise gift. Sure to be fair, Cecil's impulse by may have had a more noble motivation. So at the time there were rumors that wealthy Americans might want to buy Stonehenge, perhaps to dismantle it and ship it off to the other side of the Atlantic. Apparently buying up British antigues had become something of a sport for American millionaires at the time, and Cecil Chubb felt Stonehenge should remain in England and of course be accessible to the public, So in nineteen eighteen he gave the monument to the British government, saying it was quote a gift to be held for the nation. So today's Stonehenge remains a public property managed by the English Heritage Charitable Trust.
Speaker 1: I like that, and in a way, I guess making a gift like that to your country is kind of a romantic gesture, but maybe not from his wife's perspective. Well, hopping over to another continent, I want to tell you about Ishmael Pasha, the viceroy of Egypt under Ottoman rule. So as a young man, he studied at Broad in Paris, where he became enamored with all things European. So when he came to power in eighteen sixty three, one of his top priorities was making Egypt look more like France.
Speaker 2: I mean nothing against France, but that's kind of a shame. I feel like being Egypt is sort of one of Egypt's biggest strengths, don't you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, seriously, But Ishmael was obsessed with European architecture. He also loved the art music, you know, the whole nine yards. And at the time, the Suez Canal was being built by a French company and that had been granted a concession by the Egyptian government. So there were lots of connections between Egypt and France in the eighteen sixties, including a rumor that Ishmael had fallen in love with the French Empress Eugenni, the wife of Napoleon the Third. Napoleon the Third is the grandson of Napoleon Bonaparte, the first president, second Emperor, and last monarch of France anyway. So Eugenny, it turns out, came from a Spanish noble family and was known for her fine taste in fashion and art in decor. It said that Ishmael met her during his time in Paris and he just became incredibly smitten with her. So when it was time for the Suez Canal's grand opening, this was in eighteen sixty nine, he invited Eugenny to attend as a guest of honor.
Speaker 2: He must have been impressed by the canal, because can you imagine being one of the first people to see something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it must have been incredible. But even more impressive was the palace that Ishmael had built for the occasion. He called it the Palace al Jazeera, and it costs about seven hundred and fifty thousand Egyptian pounds to build, which was really a fortune at the time. He hired European architects to build it in this neoclassical style. He brought a renowned German designer to outfit the interior. Reportedly, Ishmael even had one of the rooms designed as a replica of Eugenni's chambers in Paris, so that she'd feel right at home, like it was this grand, grand gesture.
Speaker 2: Wow, So what ended up happening? Did that? Did that win her over?
Speaker 1: It really wasn't enough, apparently, Like the thing is, Eugennyan Napoleon didn't have a great relationship that was kind of widely known. He kept mistresses on the side, but for whatever reason, whether it was loyalty or not wanting to cause an international incident, when the Suez Canal festivities ended, Eugeni just packed bags and went home to France. And Ishmael of course was super heartbroken. But worse than that, all that spending meant that he'd racked up millions of pounds of debt, Like he borrowed so much money from France and Great Britain that eventually those countries stepped in to exert control over the Egyptian government. Like that's how much he borrowed. And Ishmael was deposed spent the rest of his life in exile. And here's an interesting detail. Part of the Al Jazeera Palace building was incorporated into the Cairo Marriott, a five star luxury hotel, So you can actually book a room there today for yourself and anyone you're trying to impress.
Speaker 2: Well that's a great travel tip. All right. Well, let's stay on the topic of prominent national leaders, and I'm going to go to Winston Churchill for my next fact. I know you've heard lots about Churchill's political life, but today I want to take a peek at his personal life. So he married a woman named Clementine Josier. This was in nineteen oh eight and they remained together until his death in nineteen sixty five. But before he settled down, Churchill was a real ladies man. One biographer reported that he was known for prowling London's theater district, trying to pick up girls from various music calls. And then he fell in love with Pamela Plowden. She was the daughter of a military official he knew from his time in the service. Now, Pamela had many admirers, so Churchill knew he'd have to go above and beyond in order to win her affection.
Speaker 1: So does he buy her like an extravagant gift or what happens here?
Speaker 2: Not at all? That was actually part of the problem. So Churchill had wealthy relatives, but he himself wasn't super rich, and Pamela made it known she wanted to marry someone with money, since she didn't come from a family of means either, so Churchill relied on his greatest skill. Those were, of course words. Now he began writing her this steady stream of love letters and kept at it for up to two years. Now. In what might have been my favorite gesture of all, when he finished his first and only novel, he had the manuscript delivered to her. He even came up with a plan to make more money, and after becoming a member of Parliament, he embarked on a lecture tour across North America, giving paid speeches that earned him thousands of pounds.
Speaker 1: Wow. So at this time, I'm guessing he's pretty financially secure, he's employed, he's a good writer. So does she fall from him now?
Speaker 2: Mega? Remember this is an episode about romantic gestures that did not work, so of course not in this case. So Churchill proposed repeatedly and Pamela rejected him every single time, eventually marrying Victor Bulward Lytton, who went on to have a prominent political career of his own. But he never not once gifted her a manuscript of a novel. So I think it's just just a shame.
Speaker 1: Well, at least Churchill figured it out and ended up in a long and happy marriage of his own. The same cannot be said of our next hapless Romeo, Count Gregory Orlov. He was a Russian military officer from a prominent family, and in seventeen fifty nine he met the Grand Duke Peter, who later became Emperor Peter I, and his Prussian wife, Catherine, who was later known as Catherine the Great. It said that Katherine and Orlov fell deeply for each other and began a relationship right away. Apparently she was very unhappy in her marriage. Catherine was an ambitious reader, a political thinker, and Peter, her husband, was less intellectual and more interested in drinking.
Speaker 2: I mean, it kind of sounds like they never should have gotten married in the first place.
Speaker 1: I mean, it was one of these royal things, right, Like it's an arranged marriage designed to strengthen the ties between Prussia and Russia. But Peter became an emperor in seventeen sixty two, and shortly thereafter Orlov and his brother Alexey helped plan a coup that overthrew him, making Katherine the Empress of Russia.
Speaker 2: I mean nothing, says, I love you like a coup mango. Let's be honest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and not only that, Just a week after the coup, Alexei strangled Peter to death so Catherine would never have to deal with his poorish behavior again. There's actually no evidence that she was aware of that part of the plot, but still it paved the way for her in or Love, to become Russia's biggest power couple. Accept Catherine's advisors weren't thrilled about this, and they wouldn't let them marry. She did give Orlov the title of count and several high level appointments, and he worked alongside her to reform Russia's legal code. But in seventeen seventy two the relationship ended. It turns out that Catherine had fallen in love with another man, Gregory Petempkin, who'd also been involved in carrying out the coup. So now Orlov's like shocked. He's trying to win her back, and he goes out and he buys one of the most famous diamonds in the world. This is incredible. It weighs nearly two hundred carrots. It's an egg shaped stone that was allisurely stolen from a temple in Mysore in India and smuggled to Europe and in seventeen seventy four Orlov purchased it for one point four million Dutch florins. Catherine accepted the gift because you know who wouldn't, and she had it mounted in her royal scepter. But she was still in love with Potemkin and she refused to rekindle her romance with or Love and this sent to into a tailspin. You know, he spent all this money he was trying to woo her. He ends up leaving Russia, rebounds by marrying one of his cousins, and then dies when he was in his forties after suffering a mental collapse.
Speaker 2: Oh that is a rough story. We'll have another one about a diamond as well, this one involving movie stars, a media frenzy, and of course un unhappy ending. So I'll tell you all about it after we take a quick break.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Part time Genius. Today. We've got nine romantic gestures that turned into disasters. Okay, well, so you said you've gotten another fact about a diamond.
Speaker 2: Indeed, I do, and it's not just any diamond. So the jeweling question is a pear shaped beauty weighing almost seventy carrots. I love how we're throwing all these talk about carrots around as though we have any idea what this means. But that's a lot. So in nineteen sixty nine it was put up for sale at an auction. Back then, one of the biggest celebrity couples in the world was Welsh actor Richard Burton an American superstar Elizabeth Taylor. Now they were known for their luxurious lifestyle and Burton often bought Taylor the high end diamonds that she loved very much. Now they heard about this stone for sale and actually had the auction house fly it to them in Switzerland where they were vacationing, just so they could get a preview before the sale.
Speaker 1: That is incredible.
Speaker 2: It's just just crazy and it's all very relatable at the same time. But at the auction, Burton got out bid by Cartier, you know, the jewelry we were talking about earlier. But Burton was absolutely insistent, saying, no one but Taylor could wear this diamond, and so he ended up buying it from Cardier for one point one million dollars or the equivalent of nine point four million dollars today.
Speaker 1: That's incredible, and Elizabeth Taylor must have been ecstatic about this, right she was.
Speaker 2: But you know, before the couple took ownership of the diamond, they allowed Cardia to it on display in their Fifth Avenue shop, where thousands of people lined up every single day to see it. And finally the diamond was delivered to the Burton Taylors on their yacht off the coast of Monica.
Speaker 1: I feel like it just gets more and more relative.
Speaker 2: It really does. This is wild. So they were there for Princess Grace's birthday party, and while I'm sure people were happy for her Highness, the real star of the event was Elizabeth Taylor wearing this enormous diamond around her neck. But you know this isn't going to end well. Of course, Taylor and Burton's marriage fell apart, and they divorced soon after. They remarried briefly, and then split for good in nineteen seventy six, at which point Taylor decided to sell the diamond. But some good did come of it, though she used the proceeds to help build a hospital in Botswana. You didn't see that one coming. That went from like crazy crazy to a nice gesture.
Speaker 1: There, I do like it. Well, here's a story about a different kind of beautiful ending. Are you familiar with the artist Marina Abramovich.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Actually, she's the one that did the project at MoMA where she said and stared at people right.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It was called the Artist's Present And she's had a really fascinating career kind of blurring the boundaries between conceptual art and performance art. And in the seventies and eighties she was in a relationship with a fellow artist. His name was Ulai, and they began collaborating. They created performance pieces together, like one where they plugged their nostrils and exhaled directly into each other's mouths until they became faint from lack of oxygen like it's weird but interesting stuff, and another called rest Energy. This one's crazy. Bramovich held the handle of a bow with the drawn arrow held by Ulai, and they leaned back until the bow was completely taught, with the arrow pointing at Abramovich's heart, and if Ulai's finger slipped, it would have killed her instantly, But the tension on the bow was coming from her way too, so not just his and they wore microphones to amplify their heartbeats. They stood perfectly still for four minutes.
Speaker 2: My god, that sounds terrifying, yeah, but it's also art, right of course.
Speaker 1: That's also the level of trust they had in each other. And in nineteen eighty they decided to get married with the performance slash romantic gesture that was bigger than anything they'd done before. Their plan was for each of them to start at one end of the Great Wall of China and then they just walked towards each other, a journey that would take months, and the idea was wherever they met, they'd marry on the spot. The problem was, they need a ton of permits from China, right, The Chinese government wasn't just handing out permits, and it took eight years to get all the paperwork squared away, and by then they had broken up. So they had this grand romantic gesture plan but no reason to do it anymore, except they decided to do it for a different reason. They decided to turn the performance into a farewell right. It was kind of an epic way of ending their relationship. After all, they had spent all this time getting the permits, so they wanted to continue through with it, so in April of nineteen eighty eight, they took their places at either end of the wall, and they start walking, and they met near the middle. Later that summer, Abramovich said that when she saw it live for the first time in months, quote, first I was angry, then I was sad, then I cried. They'd been traveling with help from translators provided by the Chinese government, and at their reunion, Ulai had devastating news for Abramovich. He'd fallen for his translator, she was pregnant, and they planned to marry in Beijing. He and Abramovich didn't speak again for decades.
Speaker 2: Isn't that wow? So it was like a romantic gesture turned romantic breakup, turned really really bad breakup pretty much.
Speaker 1: Ulai even sued Abramovich in twenty fifteen in a dispute over royalties on their collaborative works, but a few years later they reunited when she spotted him in the audience at a lecture she was giving at a Copenhagen museum. He put his arm around her and they laughed like old friends, and later Abramovich said that in that moment, quote, I gave up all the anger, all the hate, all the rest, and I think what's left is the beautiful work that we left behind, and this is what matters.
Speaker 2: Wow. All right, well, speaking of beautiful work, our next story is all about a watch that's both a technical marvel and an artistic statement unlike any other. Now, this all began in Versailles in seventeen eighty three. There was an admirer of Marie Antoinette's some say it was Swedish diplomat Axel von Furson. So anyway, decides to dazzle her with the gift of an extravagant watch. And the only person who could make a time piece worthy of the Queen was Abraham Louis Briget, the Parisian watchmaker who invented many of the mechanisms that became standard in the watchmaking industry. So Briget was up for the challenge, and he began devising this pocket watch made of gold and platinum, rubies and sapphires, all the good stuff. And it was said that he was given no budget to work with, meaning in other words, this sky was the limit here.
Speaker 1: Which means he was designing a really really stunning watch. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Actually, what made it really special is the number of complications it had, and watchmaking lingo. A complication is any function other than just telling time, So like an alarm, a date display, these are complications. And for this epic watch, Brigay loaded it with every complication he knew how to make. He built in a thermometer, a perpetual calendar, a chime, a display showing how much energy was left so you'd know when it needed winding, and more. And so when it was done there were eight hundred and twenty three components, many of them visible through the watch's transparent crystal face. Isn't that amazing?
Speaker 1: I love that it tells you the temperature, the date it's gonna alarm on it. It's like a antiquated iPhone, right. But what did Marie Antronett think about all this?
Speaker 2: Well, this is of course where the disaster part comes in. Because the watch was so complicated, it wasn't completed until eighteen oh two, almost twenty years after the work first began. By that point, Marie Antoinette was long gone. Now, if you recall French history one oh one, she got sent to the guillotine in seventeen ninety three, so she never got a glimpse of this amazing watch. And once more, Brigue himself died four years before the watch was finished. His son, who took over his father's business, had to step in and finish the job.
Speaker 1: So if Marie Antrnette wasn't alive to receive the gift, what happened to the watch?
Speaker 2: Well, the Brigue company held onto it for a while, and then they sold it to a private collector, changed hands a few times, eventually landing in a museum in Jerusalem. Was actually stolen from there in the nineteen eighties and disappeared for decades. Finally, in two thousand and seven, it was recovered, along with several others stolen time pieces, and returned to that same museum. Oh that's incredible.
Speaker 1: Well, we have one last story today, and this one doesn't involve jeweles, watches or any physical objects at all, because there's a whole other category of romantic gestures out there. I'm talking about, do do something for someone you love.
Speaker 2: I like that Love Languages book. Have you read that? It talks all about like acts of service.
Speaker 1: I haven't read it, but I imagine that's exactly what this is. So back in the nineteen forties, in the golden age of Hollywood, Rita Hayworth was one of the biggest movie stars in the world. Right she was a trained dancer. She worked her way up the studio system, going from bit parts to a starring role opposite Fred Astaire in the nineteen forty one musical You'll Never Get Rich, and she became an icon, appearing in hit movies and on magazine covers. She landed this high profile contract with Columbia Pictures as well. Now, her personal life was much rockier. She had left an abusive first husband to Mary Orson Wells, but that relationship fell apart a few years later. And then in nineteen forty eight, at a glamorous party on the French Riviera, Hayworth meets a gentleman named Ali Khan. And Khan is a fantastically wealthy social ae and he's a prince whose father was the Aga Khan, or head of the Ismaili Muslim community.
Speaker 2: Sounds like it's straight from a plot of a nineteen forties Hollywood.
Speaker 1: Movie exactly so. Ali Khan was actually married at the time, and he had a reputation for being a playboy, but Hayworth found him really charming, and after just a few days of courtship, she moved into his villa in the south of France. He organized parties to introduce her to his society friends, but it was kind of awkward, right, Like, she doesn't speak French. So anyway, he whists her off to Spain and proposes, and she says no because she has to get home to Hollywood to start work on a new film, and besides, she actually has a young daughter in the States from her marriage with wells Now. Ali Khan was undeterred. He pursues her to the Los Angeles, where he showers her with gifts. The relationship gets into the press, and, in addition to some casual racism at the time related to Ali's Pakistani heritage, people were outraged at the flamboyance of their affair, especially because he was still married.
Speaker 2: This is good stuff, magatherre like lots of good components. Here, I got my bucket a popcorn, like, keep keep going.
Speaker 1: This is really good, right. So Ali Khan's father wanted him to break it off because it was making the whole family look bad, and instead he gets a divorce and he and Hayworth finally marry in nineteen forty nine. But their lives are so different, right. He is a jet setter who keeps us safe full of various currencies so you can dash off to any corner of the globe at any moment's notice. And he was also expected to make official visits to the Ismaili communities in Africa and Asia. You know, this is all part of their tradition and as part of the service, he wants his wife to join him. But here's where the sacrifice comes in. So Hayworth actually gives up her film career to be with him. And this is a really, really costly decision. Columbia Pictures Suser for one point two million dollars for breaking her contract.
Speaker 2: Oh that is a huge leap to make. So tell me, Mengo, unlike every other story we've heard so far, tell me they lived happily ever after.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know where this is headed. So they had a daughter shortly after their marriage. But from that point on, it's just a disaster. Hayworth was totally out of her element on these diplomatic trips. Ali Khon didn't change his Playwroy ways, and Hayworth ends up going home to the US and initiating divorce proceedings. But the worst part is her reputation wasn't tatters her over the top lifestyle with Ali, not not to mention the fact that she'd taken up with a married man while being the mother of a young child from her first marriage. All of this prompted a ton of outrage at the time, and.
Speaker 2: Of course this was aimed at her, not him.
Speaker 1: I'm guessing right, yeah, I mean, he did get a little bit of blowback, but yeah, of course it was aimed at her. And in nineteen forty nine, an American women's club actually organized a boycott of her films, with one woman saying, quote Rita Hayworth's studio shitsacker, her trapesing around is an insult to American womanhood.
Speaker 2: So did her career ever recover from this?
Speaker 1: I mean, that is the good part. So she finally returned to the screen in nineteen fifty two. It was with a movie called Affair in Trinidad, and she went on to make several more hit films, but her relationship with Columbia execs remained tricky, partially because of her decision to quit the movies for love.
Speaker 2: Wow, Well that's the lesson for today. I guess, don't abandon a lucrative Hollywood career to galivan around with a prince. Just write that down, always put that in your back pocket. Well, I know, we said nine mango. We love to do our nine facts. But how about we end the day with the story of a tryhard who actually did win his crushover in the end.
Speaker 1: I'm for it. So who are we talking about?
Speaker 2: And I remember us talking about this back in our mental loss days. This was, of course President Richard Milhouse Nixon. Now, from the outside, the Nixon's marriage wasn't one that most people envy. The New York Times referred to the love between the couple as quote dry as dust. Ben Bradley of The Washington Post called it sort of a dingy marriage. I have a feeling they never touched each other in any way, you know, not great, But anyway, the letters between them over the course of their marriage actually show quite a bit of affection and passion and understanding between the two of them. Whatever their marriage would become, the initial dating period was not great. Apparently, the first time he met her, he said, I'd like to have a date with you. She responded, I'm busy. Then he said I'd like to marry you, and she laughed in his face. But as Politico puts it, he pursued Pat with the same determination and persistence he would later use to win seven elections. He hated ice skating, but bloodied himself repeatedly to learn so he could go skating with Pat and her friends. On weekends. In order to spend time with her, he drove her to Los Angeles, where she went on dates with other men. He would return on Sunday afternoons and wait until she was ready for him to drive her home. Six months after they met, Pat went to Michigan to buy a car and did not contact Dick for three months. Apparently it took him three years, but eventually all that hanging around her convinced her of his charms, and so, as Pat wrote to her parents after he'd enrolled in the service, Dick looked so different, younger, real, tan, thinner, and of course very handsome. She made it clear she missed him, and it wasn't long before they were married.
Speaker 1: I don't know that proposing marriage on your first meeting after someone has just turned you down for a date is the right way to go about winning someone's affections, mon, But I'm glad it worked out. But what about gifts? Was there anything tricky to got for Pat that we know about?
Speaker 2: Let me think about as well, pandas. Of course, when Pat went to China with President Nixon, she was totally taken with the pandas, and President Nixon gifted China too Muskox, which they reciprocated with pandas. So in a way, the fact that we have giant pandas in this country is because of their love.
Speaker 1: Oh that's when I had never thought of that. Well, I guess it's pretty romantic. But that does it for this very On Valentine's Day episode of Part Time Genius, don't forget to follow us on Instagram at part Time Genius. We have some exciting stuff coming up later this month, including a whole bunch of listener prize giveaways, so stay tuned for that, and in the meantime, Will, Mary, Gabe Dylan, and myself thank you so much for listening. Part Time Genius is a production of Kaleidoscope and iHeartRadio. This show is hosted by Will Pearson and me Mongaish Heatikler and research by our good pal Mary Philip Sandy. Today's episode was engineered and produced by the wonderful Dylan Fagan with support from Tyler Klang. The show is executive produced for iHeart by Katrina Norvell and Ali Perry, with social media support from Sasha Gay, trustee Dara Potts and Viney Shorey. For more podcasts from Kaleidoscope and iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.