Speaker 1: Hi, Sabrina. Hey will Okay, quick question. What's the app on your phone you use the most.
Speaker 2: Oh, You're gonna look so horribly down on me, but it's definitely my Instagram, Is it really?
Speaker 1: Oh wow?
Speaker 2: Because other than that, I mean I'm on like a Tetris kick. Other than that, I'm not really on.
Speaker 3: My phone that much.
Speaker 2: Or of course my it's like my camera whatever game I'm on.
Speaker 3: Actually, you know what, hold on, I don't feel like I.
Speaker 2: Use my phone that much. I do go on Instagram. I probably at this point right now am using my audio books app more than my Instagram.
Speaker 3: On that.
Speaker 2: I love throwing on my audiobook and like or like I heart and like listening to like a podcast.
Speaker 1: But I'm not familiar them.
Speaker 3: No, you're not familiar with that.
Speaker 1: I'm not familiar with my heart never heard it.
Speaker 2: But other than that, like unless I'm working or whatever, I think that's kind of the only apps I use. Okay, but I've got a bunch of them, which is ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I've got fifty two apps too, like a thousand.
Speaker 3: Don't use any of them? What about you? Since you're not on a Xagram.
Speaker 1: Apps that I use eight to ten hours every single day. And it's my clock app because I use it as my clock. Oh okay, I sleep with my phone next to me, with my with my clock app.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, yeah, I have never seen Oh why.
Speaker 1: When you can make it lighter darker? So when I travel, I always have the same I have the same clock and alarm everywhere I go at my house, travel, whatever I do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I use my phone for my clock too, for like my my wake up call.
Speaker 3: There you go, clock app, There you go, there you go. Your Well, it's true that.
Speaker 1: Brings us perfectly to today's wonderful film. But first, welcome back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pj's and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses were smart, the waves, tsunamis and the high school's musical I'm Wilfordell.
Speaker 3: And I'm Sabrina Brian.
Speaker 1: Well. Nothing says Disney Channel like manipulating men with your smartphone. So this week we're diving into the twenty fourteen sci fi comedy Zapped, starring one of Hollywood's biggest modern day names, and it's just one name of that, Zindaiya Sabrina Are you Zindia fan?
Speaker 2: Oh you know it? The last time we covered one of her movies.
Speaker 3: I I'm a huge like I love her.
Speaker 2: I've I just I have always from the first time I watched her, just have thought this girl is a star.
Speaker 3: I mean, she she is. She's just unreal.
Speaker 2: And then this one, unlike the other one, we got like a small hint of her dancing nobility. This movie you got to see how magnificent she is as.
Speaker 1: A dancing Yeah, in a stupid, pointless scene that meant nothing to anything.
Speaker 3: To anyone to and including me.
Speaker 2: But I don't care, Like I would watch that section over and over again, Okay, I would.
Speaker 3: I think she's so great.
Speaker 2: It made me actually go on YouTube start downloading all of her Dancing with the Stars clips.
Speaker 3: And Dancing with the Stars, Oh yeah, she murdered it, And I don't I think she was. I think Lisa's no.
Speaker 2: Okay, I was gonna say, I think it was a classic unfortunate thing that tends to happen on Dancing with the Stars is the best dancer doesn't win.
Speaker 1: Right where they gave it to somebody who dances on TikTok and then claims she's not professional. I get it started. Don't get me started, don't get me started. All the all the bets are off when it's about my best friend, like, oh yeah, so don't get me don't I get it?
Speaker 3: I get I get it.
Speaker 1: I agree she's a star. But we will get into that in a little bit. Zapped itself debut on June twenty seven to twenty fourteen, and since we noted the first decom appearance of a cell phone back in the day, we got to now announce it's our first app the listen and obey app yeis. The movie was filmed in the dcom capital of the North Kanada and is based on a book called Boys Are Dogs Isn't That Wonderful, which might just be the most on the nose awful title in the history of titles. It was written by Ya author and obvious man hater Leslie Mark Golis, and it's part of a series called Annabelle Unleashed, which makes sense because the original title of this movie was Unleashed. Each book in the series apparently has to do with animals, so check out some of the titles. Boys or Dogs, Girls Acting, Caddie, Everybody bugs Out One Tough Chick and Monkey Business. Did you have any book series you read as a kid.
Speaker 2: I think I remember, you know, uh the box cart series books series?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 2: The I don't know, I don't know and goose bumps. I remember, yeah, Steint arl Stein. Yeah, I read what about.
Speaker 1: You just box Car Children, The box Car Children.
Speaker 3: Okay, there we go.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I read fantasy stories after fans, so like the Belgariad, the Malorian series my favorite than the Choose your own Adventure books and who do you have?
Speaker 2: Somebody that got you in them? Like that steered you in that direction.
Speaker 1: Yeah. My third grade teacher with the she she had us read The Indian in the Cupboard by Lynn read Banks, which is one of the greatest books ever, and that got me kind of into the fantasy world after that. Okay, yeah, then it was just.
Speaker 2: All because you're talking, what age that you jumped into this fantasy world?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: Eight?
Speaker 1: Eight? Yeah, the third grade, so yeah, eighter nine is when I started real. But but I started with the choose your own adventure books. Then you go to the Peers Anthony books, which as a kid you think are great, the Zant books, and you read as an adult and they're just like horrifyingly awful. And then I found the Belk series when I was probably about twelve, and that just changed my whole life. That was just when I started reading about Bell Grath and Paul Gara and Gary and it was like, Oh my god, the world just opened up to me. It was the coolest thing in the world.
Speaker 3: There was a.
Speaker 2: Book that was that's mentioned in this movie that caught me off guard a little bit, just because I know in this movie that we just know.
Speaker 1: Which to kill a mocking Oh yeah, which, of course every every young girl's favorite book, To Kill a Mockingbird. Zapp was also Oh We'll get there. Zapps was also a broadcast success, bringing in five point seven million viewers for its debut, making it the most watched broadcast on cable that night. Okay, did you watch it? Did you know about this? Twenty fourteen? You missed all this too?
Speaker 3: I was not at all.
Speaker 1: I knew nothing of this obviously either, and I'm glad I didn't. Zapp is available right now to watch on Disney Plus, which can either guide you through our recap or our recap can guide you through your viewing. Either way, a guide will be hired, so please do a background check and keep it professional. Well, get the JV squad ready to perform. Here's our synopsis. High schooler Zoe discovers a magical app that lets her control boys like dogs. At first, it makes her life easier, but soon chaos erupts when she learns that controlling people isn't the same as connecting with them. Early thoughts, Sabrina, what did you think of this movie?
Speaker 3: This movie was rough for me.
Speaker 2: It was it felt like one hundred thousand minutes long, and at the beginning, I just kept like the I know, we get really like extreme rooms and things like that, but the bedroom for her, the bathroom, like there was just so many things that I was like, this is really like over the top two big. Disney does big, but like's they're always they're usually hone it into just that perfect level, and just even from the the house in general, even that I just I don't know, I things were throwing me off from the very beginning of this movie, and sometimes, you know, we both talk about it. We got to like maybe we're in a weird headspace and we're not like going, Okay, no, this is a Disney movie. We're gonna kind of like and then once we get in the zone it gets better. That never happened for me, and I was very frustrated because again I love Zendia and everything that she's in I feel like is gold and I was like looking for the gold.
Speaker 1: I was right, I'm on a gold hunt, on a.
Speaker 3: Gold hunt, and I can't find it. Sydiya, I'm sorry. I had like anxiety from it. It's just you know, yeah, it.
Speaker 2: Was not my not my jam. This movie was not my jam. It was yours, though, Wasn't it my favorite so far?
Speaker 1: I loved this I hated this movie. This is I think possibly, and I don't mean possibly. No, I'm gonna say it. This is the worst movie we've watched so far, in my opinion, totally my opinion. I could think of nothing I hated more than I hated this movie. And I agree with you one hundred percent. She is a star. None of the acting was bad. It wasn't like the acting was bad, it was just so. She was fine. I get she's a star. The story, the script, there was nothing about this movie that I liked. It was a really bad movie. In my opinion.
Speaker 2: I found a pink blazer that I really loved.
Speaker 1: Okay, war, Okay, there you go.
Speaker 3: Well then, and I did like the dancing, Like I said, I thought.
Speaker 1: That anything her troop and.
Speaker 3: What she did. You know, I was excited for this, like battle. I love a dance battle and.
Speaker 1: You kidding my dance battle King is I know?
Speaker 3: And it just kind of fell flat because it really just didn't matter at that point. It did.
Speaker 2: Nothing mattered. I don't understand it, but I am excited. Eventually, it's towards the end to talk about one of the most awkwards I think we have seen yet on the Channel.
Speaker 1: I can't wait. I can't wait, Chef's Kiss, I can't wait well. As mentioned earlier, the movie stars Zendaya, who began her career on the Channel as Rocky on a show called Shake It Up, then as the star of Casey Undercover. She also appeared on episodes of Good Luck, Charlie and Aunt Farm and was put on the musical Fast Track as well releasing pop music through Disney Records. And this was actually her second t com. She first starred in Front of Me as alongside Bella Thorne, a film we've already recapped, so go check out our archives for that Zinda would eventually grow up and become one of the most sought after talents in Hollywood, and rightfully so. She is in the Spider Man movies, The Greatest Showman, the Dune franchisees Challengers, and the HBO show Euphoria, which makes me jump to my knees and Thank God I didn't have children, which won her the Golden Globe and the Emmy. I watched one episode of that and I was like, if kids are like this, Oh my god, I don't want have anything to do with anybody. Yeah, oh god, the drugs and say ah. Anyway. She's also set to voice a new character in the upcoming Shrek movie and to star in the movie I Cannot Wait For, Cannot Wait For, Cannot Wait four, based on my favorite book of all time, Christopher Noland's next movie, The Odyssey. Oh just the little things I'm hearing about it. I'm salivating already. And we've got Spencer Boldman as cool guy Jackson Kale. He was a Disney star as well. He played Adam Davenport on the show Labrats and guest starred on I Carly Jesse and Mighty Med. In twenty twenty two, he was in four episodes of Welcome to Chippendale's, but not a ton of acting as of late. Then you've got Chanelle harkwayl if sick. I hope I'm saying that right plays Rachel. We've seen her before in one of our old favorite T coms, Radio Rebel, and more recently she appeared on the TV shows Sacred Lies, Supernatural, Happy Face, and a Million Little Things. Amelia McCarthy plays Taylor, and she's another magical rewind fae from her time in the Zombies movies. God, these just made me long for a Zombies movie. You may recognize her as Lacey, one of the human cheerleaders alongside Addison. And most importantly, this movie runs Sorry I'm taking a pause, my anger subside a hundred and two minutes, an absolutely disgusting number twelve over the bulls Eye of ninety and just the wrong foot to start on. If you ask you, my disappointment is immeasurable, and my day is ruined, Actually several days are ruined because I couldn't get through this movie in one sitting and stopping and starting and stopping and starting, and.
Speaker 2: Then having to rewind because you're like, wait, what I think I've I think I missed it, I went too far because I'm lost.
Speaker 1: Yes, and we don't like to blame anybody for that on this show. But if you're looking to blame somebody, it's director and actor Peter Delouiz. He's best known as Officer Doug Penhall awesome alongside Johnny Depp in the eighty show twenty one Jump Street, one of my favorite shows of all time, and he was great on that show. He also started in Squest twenty thirty two and Stargate SG one, but he's also a very established director with quite a career. Deluiz started with some episodes of twenty one Jump Street and then continued to shows like Kyle x Y Andromeda, VIP and Silk Stockings. But now he is heavy in the Hallmark Game Lucky, directing movies like Love Under the Olive, Treenica on Rye and A Brush with Love. On the writing side of things, author and again man hater Leslie Margalisee got her credit for writing the book the script is based on. Then we have the Eddie brothers, Billy and Matt. We've mentioned them before as the writers of teen Beach two, and this was their first movie. They go on to write a few other d cooms, Bad hair Day and Invisible Sister, which ironically we haven't seen the transition of their career, then took them to the Monster High Movies, and they also wrote on a Disney Junior show Eureka. By the way, I didn't get a laugh for that, and I think the irony of us having not seen Invisible Sister was pretty great. There Sabrina, But whatever, I'll try harder.
Speaker 3: I I got caught. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I got caught on Bad hair Day because I think we saw we did do Bad hair Day at this point.
Speaker 1: Bad hair Day is the one with the so the one whole day. Yeah we did that one.
Speaker 2: Yeaheah, the wig and yes, okay, yes, we want to make sure that's what's I got the cop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got interviewed the woman.
Speaker 1: Who played police officer.
Speaker 3: Yea, I know I missed your your good one joke. I'm so sorry, my.
Speaker 1: Good wall Oh that was such a backwards like what you'd say, Oh my god, she's a sweet spirit.
Speaker 3: I'm so sorry. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Well, I did not mean it that way. I got stuck on the Bad hair Day and missed your joke.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I'm gonna have you know it's you know you're funny when you have to point out every one of your jokes. And now everybody sit, bag, bark, shake, rollover, good boy, it's time to break down. Zapped Exactly, we opened up a fancy wedding and app alerts young Zoe Stevens that it's time for the toast. Also, what the hell app is that? Talk about? Specific Also, there's an awful lot of z's in this movie. Zapped with Sundeia as Zoey Zoe Yeah. She announces that she's not only the daughter of the bride, she's the maid of honor. She's thrilled about her mom's new husband, Ted, but emphasizes that her and her mom had been alone together for quite some time, and now she'll have a whole new family to live with, not only just Ted, but his son's Adam, Zach and Ben. They're all messy, smelly bros. And the idea of living with four guys because the dog two is Humphrey is also a male, is weighing heavily on her mind. She must accept that her life is completely changing, but it's not going to be easy. As she raises her glass, the boys trigger a chain of events that sends Humphrey running unto the table and a fondu bowl full of chocolate. It doubses Zoe head to toe and now she looks like carry on prom night. Zoe takes a deep breath and angrily finishes the toes to her new family and remind you don't just keep in your head about her being covered with stuff, because it happens over and over and over. Yeah, we jumped to a week later. Zoe's asleep in her room at six forty five, and yes, since it's the main character's bedroom, forced to learn a little about her in the form of posters highlighting dance and music. This was obviously your favorite bedroom we've ever seen, am I right? Little for you?
Speaker 2: It just didn't make sense to me. She's just moving into this house and she's got it's just so decorated.
Speaker 3: To me, it was like, you don't know why that bothered me.
Speaker 2: That's why I had to be like, Okay, check yourself, where are you mentally?
Speaker 3: Why is this irritating you? Like?
Speaker 2: I don't know why, but honestly, I literally, I mean we're two minutes in I thought she was so cute. I thought I loved her toast. I thought I was like, gosh, she's such a cute actress.
Speaker 3: She looks gorgeous. YEP, I get to the room and bam, I'm irritated. I'm like, what's going on?
Speaker 1: Like, okay, I guess the irritation isn't gonna stop. So then we are startled by a bullhorn. It's Ted now, screaming like a drill sergeant telling the boys to get up for the bus. The kids fumble all over each other as Zoe walks out of her room confused. Ted tries his hardest to adjust for the new female in the house, but it's just not working. Now. In her bathroom, Zoe is working with a beauty planner app because why not, to get ready for school, and she's interrupted by her youngest stepbrother who tries to share a sink and fidgets with her makeup cover in the room and powder. She's also disgusted by the pea around the toilet bowl. The reality of her new testosterone filled family and their frat house style is just not working. With each man set very much in their ways, it's starting to sink in for her. Life's going to be very different. The brothers even take to the kitchen to make disgusting protein pancakes, stealing her cottage cheese and acting all around like animals, like no human kids ever do in the history of the world. Three brothers that are making Hey, it's right before school, let's cook pancake never happens. Zoe looks to her mom for help, but her mom can't do anything about it because she's barely there in this movie in an absolutely useless character. They just do things differently here. Her mom tries to calm the situation by presenting her with her childhood music box, a gift from her deceased dad shaped like a castle. Also, tomorrow marks her first day of high school and dance tryouts. Back in the kitchen, the brows are still brown out, leading to an eruption when the middle sun starts the blender before putting the lid on once again, drenching Zoe head to toe. We are five minutes into this film. She's been covered with twice. It's now the next day at school and Zoe is taking everything in. A skater almost crashes into her jocks, are lifting weights in the parking lot, nerds are playing video games and there's a group of smelly guys who are just smelly. None of this makes any sense the skating Okay, totally understand that. Yeah, but did you often find guys with their shirts off in the parking lot or the quad just lifting weights on full benches?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: And we've got to pause on that because I'm like, practices and standards and practices, that's like big thing.
Speaker 3: I've talked about it a lot.
Speaker 2: I had to wear leggings under every single skirt that I ever wore on the channel.
Speaker 3: Why can these guys be half naked?
Speaker 1: Yeah, lots of man nipples.
Speaker 2: Understand, And they come twice like they actually talk about it later on and You're just like, this is weird to me. It was uncomfortable? Am I weird to think that on the channel? It's uncomfortable to have like teenage guys without shirts on and they're like lifting weight Like that was just like a weird.
Speaker 3: Thing to be on the channel in general.
Speaker 2: But every group that she's encountering our boys too, which I thought that was strange. I mean, I get it, this is we know what the right is, but like that was weird that there were no girls at all in this And then yes, like when we walked past the football team's locker room right, like there, that's where they are after practice and their doors are open, it stinks like it's gross.
Speaker 1: Just sure.
Speaker 2: Locker room, right, And yeah, I'm sure there are smelly boys in school, but not like this, like this is just a group of kids.
Speaker 1: You don't care about their school? Are you going to?
Speaker 2: I don't know, but this is one another thing that I'm like. This was the second thing of so extra. These things were so over the top that was weird for me because again, yes, we're expecting that of the channel, but the channel usually has a really good radar of what's just too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this again, this is twenty fourteen. This is not big huge Disney channel of nineteen ninety eight.
Speaker 3: No, this is we are Yeah, are they veering back.
Speaker 1: Into I don't know, maybe they tried.
Speaker 2: I remember feeling we said something similar about Zindea's other dcom.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a little bit bigger than it needed to be.
Speaker 1: Well, they obviously are seeing her and she's good at it. They're seeing her as like a very physical comedian. But it was just it was by I was like smelly groups, how is that it's not even a thing. Okay, Nerds get it, Jocks get it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, scholey guys like, what the hell is that?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Yeah anyway, Now, she eventually stumbles on Trip this guy or the Tripster or Tripathon. He's a surfer type actually named trip and she asks him for help, but instead he just farts on her. Yes, this actually happened. I had to look around my room for hidden cameras in case I was on a frank show. He just turns around and farts on the beautiful new girl in school, right.
Speaker 3: Not even turns around, like lifts his bub and ull.
Speaker 1: Like on the gorgeous brand new girl. Who's just because first of all, there's nowhere in the world where any guy looks at Zindian is like, who's the ugly girl? Like she's stunning and just walks into the school and the first thing this guy does is fart on her, like you do so ugh. By this point, I was like, I'm not sure I'm gonna be able to get through this movie. In the Malaise of Gas, Zoe meets Rachel, a cool boy, crazy girl in a fedora who wants to be a friendly face and a helping hand. Rachel says, all the boys in school are cute but gross knuckleheads. Rachel's main target is a boy named Charlie who looks a lot like Justin Long, so let's just call him Justin Short. Eventually, Rachel leads Zoe to a classroom where she's startled by a movie about praying Mantis's Praying Manti prankmmit about a praying mantis that they're all watching. And I was thinking to myself, movies on the first day of school. Really okay? Her shriek makes her the center of attention, and lo and behold, she's in the wrong class. Algebra's on the other side of campus. Thanks so much for Dora Rachel for leading me in the wrong direction. Also, we're introduced to Jackson Kale and yes, that's what I'm gonna say his name every time, who's instructed to show a where to go. He's a real rebel type and a stupid beanie in and sunglasses and a leather jacket with the sleeves rolled up. Dude, are you hot or cold? Which one are you? Because you're wearing multiple layers and you have a leather jacket on and sunglasses and class. But you're rolling up the sleeves. Are you hot or cold? Figure at the out? This movie angered me.
Speaker 3: Also why is he like thirty five years old?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: He was so old, so much older looking than the rest of the cast.
Speaker 1: Then everybody else, and the character was so like whoever, Okay, so I don't know what the book is like this, but whoever wrote like just didn't understand boyser men at all. Where it's like, well, you're either a smelly idiot, oh you're the cool guy who also plays chess and whiz leather. It's like there's not a normal boy in this whole movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's no like guy, just guy. How is this of her new brothers?
Speaker 1: Right now? At the beginning, he's the and we'll get into this movie seriously angered me all I know, there was so yeah, I just it was I'm.
Speaker 2: Okay with pointing out things that got like the pain and the toilet that drives me crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the boys don't pull up.
Speaker 2: But the thing if you ever go you know, so many restaurants bathrooms are like unisex now, and if you go to a bathroom and you see that.
Speaker 3: It's just out, it's it's gross.
Speaker 2: It outrages me. I can't handle it, Like this is a everyone should be respectful on it, like like girls are gross too. Anyway, I'm fine with that kind of stuff me too, to point that out, but this is so extreme, making it seem like.
Speaker 3: Every guy has is just disgusting.
Speaker 4: The worst, and I'm like, whoa except the one guy who's a caricature of what whoever wrote this thinks every is.
Speaker 1: He's a bad boy but also a chess champion. Yeah, and it's like.
Speaker 3: In the park and just read the books.
Speaker 1: By himself and his jacket with a beanie all the time. It was so ridiculous, but anyway, so yeah, anyway, he looks like justin Bobby from the Hills and is actually a honky genius. On their walk, Rachel stumbles through her words and he's openly flirting with her. He eventually wanders off, and we notice a pretty and concerned blonde has been watching this interaction the entire time. And now at the Dance Squad audition, Zoe rives a bit late and joins Rachel, who traded in her fedora for a flat brim sideways baseball cap, and guess what, that blonde girl who was suspiciously watching Zoe talk to Jackson Kale. Well, she's tailor and she's the captain of the varsity team. Running the audition. With an iron fist, she announces the varsity team is full, but there may be a spot if you're perfect. Zoe tries to introduce herself, but only gets attitude in return, and even worse, when Zoe looks in her gym bag, her shoes are covered in the boy's pancake mix. Because, of course, as Zoe ties on her pancake sneakers, Taylor quickly busts out a routine to memorize.
Speaker 2: Okay, but why didn't she go to the bathroom and just like get some towels and clean them off before she puts them?
Speaker 1: Can I also ask a question, as you're a resident dance expert, couldn't she have danced barefoot?
Speaker 3: She could have. I don't feel like she would have wanted to.
Speaker 1: I understand better choice than pancake shoes.
Speaker 2: The choice would have been to go to the bathroom, grab some towels, ripe off your shoes, and then put them on like that would have been the choice.
Speaker 3: Or she had tennis shoes on already.
Speaker 2: They weren't like dance in your shoes. They weren't like hip hop tennis, right, they weren't. They weren't kicks.
Speaker 1: As the kids say. Yeah, kicks to me will always be a serial.
Speaker 3: But she could have worn those.
Speaker 2: It was very like, you know, yeah it was again, it was just like these were just odd choices throughout the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what it seemed like to me, and I'm just realizing this. It seemed I know it was a YA book, but it seemed like this was a book written for kids that were eight or nine. Then they decided to just put them in high school without changing any of the stuff that happens in the book. Yeah, Like like like if this were if it was the exact same movie, but they were all in the fifth grade, right, smelly boys and missing the toilet, then all of this would make sense to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or even yes, even if they were the age of We just watched a few of the new episodes of Wizards of Waverley Place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Wizards Beyond Waverley Place, Like yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: That they're young character in that she's like probably in like fifth or sixth grade, Like.
Speaker 1: That could have worked make them make them nine or ten. Then it seemed like that's what this book was. And they went, no, we're not going to change a thing about the book, but we're gonna make everybody fifteen. It's like, well, then.
Speaker 2: Changes Sendea in it. So they're like, we need something for Sendaia, so we're.
Speaker 3: Going to add some We're gonna add some some dance elements.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was such very.
Speaker 3: Some opportunities for her to have music. I do believe.
Speaker 2: I don't know for sure, but it did seem like she was on the sound her soundtrack, like the main.
Speaker 3: Which we're catching. Yes, there we go, there's a popline they were.
Speaker 1: Taylor quickly busts out of routine to memorize. No candidates can remember the moves except for Zoe, who not only nails it, but she adds some flavor to it. Everyone is impressed except Taylor, who now hates Zoe for two reasons, being a good dancer and talking to her ex The dance felt a little goofy to me. But what did you think, dance expert of the this first one?
Speaker 3: The first Yeah, I was kind of like, oh uh oh, oh.
Speaker 1: Don't do it. Don't do it to my girlsz Yeah, don't do it to Zeke.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that part was kind of weird, but this was the thing. When I saw what they were going to do, I went h oh. Then Zendia did it and know the choreography was not like great, but.
Speaker 1: Look, and that's.
Speaker 2: Where you tell the level of just like skills she has that she can make something like that. It's like watching Alison Stoner do some of the choreography that was that we saw in Camp Rock and they looked amazing doing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're great. Zoe does eventually slip on pancake mix and fall onto Rachel and then causes everyone to get rejected. Zoe begs for any way to make the team, and as a result, she's added to the JV team along with Rachel, filling out a squad made up of just nerdy boys because again, boys suck. Back at the house, so he's even more disturbed by the boys. They're bathing Humphrey in the tub and they ransacked her room, even breaking her dad's castle box. She can't believe how awful her life is. She wonders if there's anything on her phone that can help, and that's when she finds Listen and Obey an app that costs nine to ninety nine and allegedly makes it so you can command your dog to do anything if you really think about it. This won't help her issues with the boys at all, but she installs it anyway. She immediately uses the app to get Humphrey to sit and then shake, and it works. She's impressed, but right then the dog reaches up and snatches the phone out of her hands, drops it into a water filled bathtub. When the youngest stepbrother tries to drive it through centrifugal force centrifugal centric, spinning it around a lot over his head. It's centrifuical, but it's just a hard word to say. He accidentally flings it out the window and onto a satellite dish, then down the solar panels, landing in a bowl of wet dog food, causing it to short and spark uncontrollably. After retrieving it, she just lays in bed depressed. Her mom suggest something she found online, putting the phone in a bowl of rice. Have you ever done this?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: I have too, but man, it just totally ruins the rice. I love rice. Zoe doesn't even really care about the phone anymore. She just can't take living with these boys. They're ruining her life. Her mom suggests joining her family on a run to the park later, but she decides to stay in bed, and the phone is still ominously sparking in the rice. The next day, she's awoken again by the blowhorn. She grabs her phone out of the rice and hey, it works. Everything's still there too. Maybe today will be a better day after all, But of course it's not because boys. The boys are just as gross as ever, hogging the bathroom and causing chaos. But she does have one thing under control, Humphrey the dog. She uses a new app to make Comfrey sit, but now he doesn't do anything, And at the same time, a mailman makes his way to the front door. As she tries again to say sit, no response for the dog, but the mailman involuntarily falls to his butt. Then she says, lie down, and yep, the mailman lies down. Shake he shakes. Also, shake is not that dog command. When you ask a dog to shake, you're not asking to shake, You're asking to give you their paw. So none of this made any sense. This will happen a lot in the movie. Have you ever told the dog to shake? And what you meant, was this?
Speaker 2: No, No, My dog Rocky used to do I would do high five and he would pop, like pop my hand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we say five, we say Sammy gives nucks, we go knocks and she raised it up and she goes, I mean yeah, yeah, shake. But that's what shakes are. When you ask a dog to shake, it means give me your paw, not shake our old dog. When you would swimming, he knew shake it out, which after you get out of pool, we go, all right, shake it out, and then he'd shake it out. But shake means give your paw. So this was another weird kind of like why she now she doesn't see anything that the mailman is doing because her back is turned to the front door. She doesn't even see when she says do a trick, which is again not a thing, and the postal care does a front flip. Then one of the brothers appears with a gross, sloppy nacho borsh twitch and she tells him to put it down, which she does obediently. Then she tells him to pick it up and he does it in a zombie like fashion. Okay, she's now not actively using the app, so does the phone just need to be near her. I am now officially confused again for now. The nineteenth reason what's.
Speaker 2: Going on that is exactly what I was gonna point out, is she's just giving these commands at this point.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know, I don't understand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the rules. What are we talking about? The rule?
Speaker 2: Because sometimes she's got her phone and she's like speaking into it and hitting a button and hitting a button to like make it happen. And then but at this point, right now in the movie, she's just saying things and the phone is just like magically making it happen. I don't know if there there's already there's like a blurred lines of these rules. They're not making sense at all.
Speaker 1: We need the rules, people, we need the rules.
Speaker 3: We need rules otherwise a follower makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you. And now at school, she tells Rachel, who's back in a fedora, that the boys in her life are acting weird, and then on cue trip runs up and farts on her again. When has this happened in the history of the world anyway, I don't even want to say the word again. The girls are rightfully disgusted, as would any normal human be, but no one would ever do this. We see that the app is on in her pocket and she tells him to stop, and he stops. So she just accidentally kept the app on the entire time. Okay, Sindana, Yeah, okay, y see either way, Trip turns zombie and completely freezes his mouth agape. She puts two and two together and realizes she has a magic app. She says speak and Trip responds, you're you've been whipped by the Trip. She quickly instructs him to shut his mouth, and he does. They go back and forth with commands until she almost instructs him to take a poop in the hallway. This movie is so weird.
Speaker 3: Weird it is like, I don't even know it's so And by this point.
Speaker 1: I'm openly yelling at my screen by myself. My wife can hear me from across the house, going what's wrong, And I'm like, this, Bobby's the worst thing I've ever dake.
Speaker 3: I mean, but also, and this is the thing.
Speaker 2: No one else seems to notice that this stuff is happening, which also is strange to me because it's not like small things, it's like big things. We get later on to like she freezes the whole school with all the guys. Yeah, like the yoga and the this, and like it's not weird to anyone. Nope, Nope, including the adults, the very small amount of adults that we have in the movie.
Speaker 1: Nope, who are so awful too. By the way, Rachel can't believe this. What is up with Zoe's phone? It's the most amazing thing in human history. But when she tries it on the mean girl dancers, it doesn't work. So the app only works with men because girls are too caddy. That's what she was talking about. Boys or dogs and girls are caddy. Also, you have an app now in your phone that can control all boys. It seems like nobody really gives this the do that. It's you've just found huge magical powers and everyone's like, wow, you got a app on your phone that controls boys. It's like what I felt like I was taking crazy pills halfway through this.
Speaker 3: Yes, Also, like what would you honestly want to use that for? I don't know, Like, what would you what would be the purpose of doing this? Like in her world?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. We're gonna find out, I guess, and so Zoe and Rachel I will exactly I'll hit a little bell boom. Maybe I found it. I say that because I have no bells around me, because I wouldn't have to hit it anyway. And so Zoe and Rachel make their way to the quad to try it out some more. They tell skaters to stop, causing one dude to crash. The gamers are told to do something good for their well being, so they drop their mobile devices to start yoga. The gross unhygienic guys are told the fit themselves, and the jocks are told to put their shirts back on, then quickly told to take them off again because they're buff hotties. Why can you imagine if this was boys telling girls to take something off? Right?
Speaker 2: And the way that they you know, this is how it was written for them in the script, but the way they play it, it's like.
Speaker 3: Strip clubbish.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, Like they're like, oh, take that off?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, I don't know what?
Speaker 1: What? What network?
Speaker 3: I'm watching this movie on now? Very weird.
Speaker 1: And that's when they see Charlie Wang, the justin short kid that Rachel likes, but he's too emotionally closed off, and so Zoe instructs him to be more open about his feelings, causing him to jump up and talk to the Fedora Queen. And now even the tripmeister is told to be nice to Zoe, even saying toodles as he leaves. She now controls the male population at the school and she is loving it. Back at home, her oldest stepbrother, who is arguably the most ADHD character we've ever seen the d com she tells him to be fo focused and he reacts by focusing on a nearby lampshade to admire it, like she just dosed him with acid. Then her middle brother appears with a jelly pickle taco carmel Sunday, so he's told to go make better things. She forces her dad to bring down the volume of his voice and commands her little brother to be clean, two things that'll definitely make her life easier. Happy with herself, she decides to walk on free to the park, and on the way she talks to him about her newfound power, admitting it might not be ethical, but it's working, and then she runs into Jackson Gale and the flirting resumes. He's reading to kill a mockingbird in the park because he's a bad boy with a heart and a brain. It turns out to be Zoe's favorite book, because what fifteen year old girl's favorite book isn't To Kill a Mockingbird. The butting courtship continues back at home. Zoe's mom walks in to see the boys cleaning making locally sourced or dus and Ted talking in a reasonable tone. Also, the oldest is still staring at a lampshade, and you figure by day two of this, maybe they'd call somebody. The next morning. Their dad can't yell his normal good morning routine wish. Now unable to startle anybody, Zoe finally gets the morning calm she's been looking for. At school, the boys are still under her spell, and Charlie is all over Rachel. Even the gross boys are waxing their eyebrows and wearing vests. Any problem caused by boys have been solved thanks to the app. Taylor and the varsity dance squad are practicing hard in the gym while the pitiful JV team is starting their first practice. Zoe is nominated as captain, and she quickly realizes the team is doomed, but she has an idea. She pulls out her phone and uses the app instructing the guys to follow her lead, and just like that, she has a killer squad of almost professional dancers. When Taylor sees the new results, she's confused, how did they suddenly become not terrible? And why is Zoe talking into her phone, which, by the way, was something she didn't need to do earlier, So now she's talking into her phone?
Speaker 3: Now she is. Now we've switched.
Speaker 1: The game, change the rules, and a new rivalry has been born, and we get a dubstep dance. Had to look that up where JV pruves they're just as good as Varsity. I shouldn't have to look these things up because I don't know if you're aware of this, but I'm kind of a dance expert.
Speaker 2: Now I am very well aware of it, and I feel like dubstep you should already know.
Speaker 3: Though from.
Speaker 1: Deadpool, No, from Step Up, Step Up movies.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, it's like a style of it, which.
Speaker 1: I still didn't know what it was. By the way, if you ever need any instruction in dance or need to know anything about dance, hit me up.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad that I'm happy to walk you through already such a great relationship with you that now I'm already calling you.
Speaker 3: I have to finish my new routine, so I'm definitely gonna be calling you for.
Speaker 1: That three words shuffleball change. I should four Wards doesn't think shuffle ball is one word anyway. Zoey brings Taylor to the principal to make the argument that JV should now be the school's official dance squad at state championships. She proposes a dance off to see who's really the best, and they'll do it at the first basketball game of the year. Again, none of this makes any sense. This infuriates Taylor, especially right after the meeting with Jackson Kale where he asks Zoe to hang out. Meanwhile, the school basketball team is struggling because of all the changes Zoe is made to the male athletes, and her stepdad, Ted, who's the coach, now can't yell out his instructions anymore. Her magical powers are backfiring. She even references the issues Michael J. Fox runs into during Back to the Future and other movies were changing the pass can destroy it, and the girls, of course come up with the idea that no, the reason that that doesn't work all the time is because they're boys again. Boys suck ass. So she's visibly nervous, so that maybe she is changing the past or the future or whatever. And yet it's time for Zoe to hang out with Jackson at the nearby fifties diner where his chess club meets, because of course he's also in the chess club. She accidentally calls it a date mid conversation and melts down, running off to the bathroom to call Rachel. By the way, okay, I will say this, he looks like he's forty years old. Act like you said. The character is ridiculous. Her character is okay, but kind of But the two of them together just talking on kind of a date. Make this the movie You're on Calm with the two of them where she gets a thirty five year old man she meets in high school, whatever you want to do. But the scenes of just the two of them together, even though he just plays the quiet guy, it's like, this was okay, just them sitting and talking.
Speaker 3: Yes, every time.
Speaker 2: They were on camera together, it was like, okay, yeah, I'm good, I'm.
Speaker 1: Good with this. I like chemistry. Her bumbling kind of quality of not knowing how to date is very intriguing and killing you and it's like do this, and he's kind of him being the cool guy, but you also find out there's more underneath him. Again, the character, the way they wrote it was ridiculous, but a week of his character would have been great, and together would have been awesome.
Speaker 3: Awesome, awesome.
Speaker 2: So but again, this relationship as we see kind of goes nowhere.
Speaker 3: Means kind of nothing, nothing like yes, it's like there.
Speaker 2: But you're right, if that had been the core of this movie, I would have loved it, because I did like them on camera together, like they had a great chemistry. She's, you know, this stunning girl who was like a blobbery like fool around him, so cute.
Speaker 1: And if it was something, if it again, not trying to rewrite the film, but I'm going to rewrite the film, you know, if it's something like that. Do you remember, I know exactly do you remember, Oh, what was the one where Jim a liar? Liar? Oh? Yeah, okay, So the power that comes happens to him, he can't he has to tell the truth all the time. It makes for better comedy, it makes for self deprecating stuff. It makes for a journey where you have to learn something. So if the app or something did something to her. It makes it a different movie, as opposed to she could control all the awful boys that are around her. It's like, so if she's now on this date and she can't control something because of the app where she's like something, yes, something, it's like then.
Speaker 2: Or she starts talking about herself in the third person like trip like that.
Speaker 3: Yes, that would have been curious and she would have killed that.
Speaker 1: She would have told it so well with all of that, and he likes her despite all these things. Like that would have been great because the two of them sitting across the table from each other. That was fine. I could watch that for ninety minutes, but I can't watch anything for one hundred and two. So yeah, she calls it a date. Mid conversation, melts down, runs off to the bathroom to call Rachel. They decide she can fix the situation by introducing some competition and element boys love. So she instructs two nearby chess players, including one in a turtleneck, to flirt with her, and she returns to Jackson. They try to rise her up, but Jackson didn't take the bait. However, he does walk her home and they almost share a kiss, which again and this moment of the two of them looking at each other and kind of fumbling being teenagers very cute. Inside the house, Zoe then finds her oldest stepbrother on the basketball court, now just staring at the rim. His focused thing is way out of control. She decides to ask him for advice about her date, and he explains that boys are just as worried and stressed as girls are. They have pressure in their life too, which is why he was always running around unfocused. It helps her understand not only the possible love interest, but her new family too, And I was like, Okay, two scenes in a row that aren't awful. I liked her with her brother too and him explaining about being the new sister and it's just been as tough in him. I was like, maybe this is a turning point in the movie, Like maybe I'm gonna be like, Okay, there's.
Speaker 3: An opening in the class. Yes, sunshine, yallow, it will yellow the light.
Speaker 1: And exactly as I tried to get, their trip farted on me again. Meanwhile, quiet coach Ted fixes her castle hand me down with some help from the boys. He presents it to her and she's clearly touched. Maybe she's misjudged these guys, or maybe they're only bearable because she forced them to be. And I was thinking the same thing, and She's like, this might not be the worst thing, and I was like, there's still under your spell. Of course they're great. She decides she will minimize the effects of the app tomorrow and see what happens, even though it's the day of the big basketball game dance off, which means nothing. She wakes up late for school the next morning, and now the app is turned down. The boys and students aren't returning their old ways. They're even acting stranger. Everything is unraveling quickly. Even the guys on the JV dance squad decide to quit. She doesn't accept their resignations. Instead uses the app to get them back in line, but it's just not as effective as it used to be. The guy's hearts just aren't into it. But Zoe isn't ready to accept defeat, so she uses the app again, this time to confuse the varsity mail cheerleaders or dance squad people whatever they're called dancers. It appears Zoe has let the power go to her head, and even Rachel's a little disturbed, and so is Jackson Gale, who caught the tail end of a little tirade she went on, calling the varsity squad and Tailor a pack of dogs. Now, since he's the good guy, the one in the world, apparently, he's disturbed that she's treating people the same way Taylor does. She tries to shift the blade, calling Jackson hot and cold, but he says he just doesn't know how he feels, and she decides she's gonna respond by forcing him to kiss her. And now we're getting into some legal territory here, everybody. Thankfully, he kisses her cheek on that she aimed, which was cute, but it was still like, what the hell. He apologizes and said everything's off. Maybe they just both need some space. Ooh, break up before they even started really. Back in the gym, Rachel suggests they end practice for the day, and Zoe turns off her phone until further notice. Soon after, in the bathround, Zoe runs into Taylor again, who seems thrilled about the recent chain of events. Rachel stops by Zoe's house before this is by the way, she notes, okay, so at this point, Rachel, no, I'm sorry, not Rachel Taylor notices that Zoe is speaking into her phone. So first idea is, well, obviously she has a magical phone with an app that is controlling all the guys, because that's of course the first thing you think.
Speaker 3: Right, how did she come to that conclusion?
Speaker 1: Just like it's a thing, Like it's a thing.
Speaker 3: There's a magic phone, right, like that, like those apps actually exist.
Speaker 1: It just it was like, what God, this is again? I think this is where I yelled, am I taking crazy bills? Because I was like, what the hell's happening? No?
Speaker 2: Again it I don't know now, I can't now, I can't unthink what you were saying before.
Speaker 3: Like this movie or the books or whatever were tailored.
Speaker 2: For a younger, so that makes a lot more sense, like you know what I mean, a lot more magical and all that kind of stuff like.
Speaker 3: Like that would have been a thought.
Speaker 2: I don't feel like a thought would have come to a high schooler, like, no, she must have an app that's controlling people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that would be something that like a little kid might think.
Speaker 1: Right, So this exact same movie set in elementary or middle school, a young middle school with a young cast. Great, then I'm buying it. It's all some smelly boys who are nine or ten.
Speaker 3: Sure, but even just like that, like imagination of being able to work?
Speaker 1: Yes, so yeah, of course that's the first thing. Two things. But Rachel stops by Zoe's house before the big basketball game and Zoe apologizes. She can't believe how she let this app take over life. She needs to find a way to fix things, but the app isn't working. It's only made things worse. And that's when she notices a paper on refrigerator. It's a notice from a college. A scout is coming to see Adam play tonight, and since he's still focused on random things, this is not going to end well. She now knows she's seriously messing with his entire future, so the girls run off to the game to figure it out. At the game, the gym announcer reveals that practices have been bad and there's a college scout in the stands, two things no one would ever announce as an announcer at a basketball game. Who would do that? Ever? Wow? That it's been bad practice all week and there's a scout in the stand never. Ever, It's like whoever wrote this movie had never met an actual male in their life, and so they second hand got from another woman got the like another woman met a man once and told her friend about it, who's never met a man, and that friend went off and wrote a movie about men. That's what it seemed like to me. There's just ninety percent of the stuff happening. I was like, none of this would ever happen ever. Yeah, and this is not being Disney Channel.
Speaker 2: I'm okay for the Disney Channel stretch, Like you know what I mean, I am okay with that.
Speaker 3: This is just to the point where it's just like absurd, Like it like was like weird. It was just weird. The Disney's weird stuff.
Speaker 1: The Disney Channel stretch for me is the Italian or the Spanish guy who plays guitars plays guitar for the Cheetah Girls, and Doe looks up and falls love and he comes down while singing a song that I do know I mean right, but but you know what I mean though, it's like that they're like boys, but they're heightened versions of boys. Yes, Doe falls in love with the dancer, and he's a heightened version of himself. He's a dancer, but a banker. But no, it turns out, Okay, those those make sense. They're like still human. Yeah, this none of this made any sense to me. It was just like what is going on? And I know I seem to be bashing this movie, and it's because this movie sucks. That's why. Yes, you heard me, come at me, Come at me all day I do. I will defend movie I got from the beginning.
Speaker 3: I gotta know Lista probably knows the answer of this.
Speaker 2: What is like Team Zendaya called what are they called? You know, like you know ladys, like they're like monsters or whatever. Yeah, I gotta know what the who is gonna come at after us?
Speaker 3: Because it's definitely gonna happen.
Speaker 1: Maybe it'll be said. No, I even think I think Zendeia herself if she ever got my number and hit me up. The first she'd pick up the phone, she'd be like, you're right, that movie was terrible, because she's self aware enough as a performer to know this was not a good movie.
Speaker 3: Yea, yeah, so she got the wrong She got the wrong end of the.
Speaker 1: Stick on this one way way, got the fuzzy end of the low because she is phenomenal and this movie was not. They z Sweag swaggers zwagger like sweat like you.
Speaker 3: Got yeah waglaggers.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, the Zwaggers can come for me, but I'm gonna stop the guard on them before they get there. Yi ugh. The coach and the team are still not in playing shape, so Zoe pulls her stepdad and mom off to the side and confesses. She tells them everything, admitting she wasn't ready for her new life, but now she wants to fix things. She just needs help. The youngest step brothers suggests they do what they do with their dog when they need him to stop doing sothing yell release, but now into the app. Zoe of course loves the idea because of course her family except her mom, completely accept the fact that they've been under a spell from a magical phone. She now, unfortunate though, can't find her phone. It's gone and the game is starting. Soon as the team takes the court, Zoe and Rachel figure out that Taylor took the phone when she saw her in the bathroom. We cut the Taylor and her underling examining the phone. They've immediately figured out the app and its powers, because of course they would. Okay, we already talked about why they wouldn't put this cick but okay, so now with the listen and obey app open, she tells some nearby jocks to shake again. That would mean shake her hand because it's not a real dogman, but they shake, but it obviously worked, causing the next thing we see is Taylor being carried in by some guys in the basketball game on the throne and then telling the visiting team to robot dance and her team to kick their legs like roquettes, and in the weirdest turn of events yet for a movie already filled with really weird events, the entire gymnasium just laughs, assuming it's musical theater inspired flash mob drunk with power. Now, Taylor tells every man to bow down to her, just as Zoe and Rachel arrive. Rachel knows this could be the end of the world as they know it, so she tells Taylor that the app won't solve anything. Forcing boys to do what you want doesn't make life any easier. You have to let guys act like themselves and accept them anyway, which is well, what I assume is what my wife did, and quite a message for young girls is this is this Oh my god, did this rub any? Did you rub me the wrong way?
Speaker 3: And it is? It does it was? You know you're you're trying to I'm so big.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I grew up on the Channel. I love it.
Speaker 2: I love the messaging that the movies and the shows always had.
Speaker 3: This message is terrible. This is terrible good message to throw out into the universe for young kids to grab onto. It's weird. It's so strange. This does not in any way to me reflect what you would normally see on the Channel. It's just I we agree top to bottom, yep, right site as all of it. It's just weird.
Speaker 1: It is. Taylor doesn't care about her concerns and even infers that Zoe used the app to make Jason Kle Jackson Kle like her and perfectly time he enters the dim just to hear the accusation, of course, still wearing the leather jacket and the beanie, which that's got to smell at this point. But Zoe swears to Jackson she never used the app on him, but then amidst she did once just for that awful kiss on the cheek. To add insult to injury, Taylor forces coach ted to scoot around and bark like a dog, which she does, and right before she can command the rest of her family to do degrading things, Zoe suggests a way to directly punish her. Taylor can make Zoe do whatever she wants her to do, no need for an app She'll just follow her commands, and Zoe is told to beg, pant, sit, shake, and roll over like a dog, which she does happily. At this point, I'm like, why did somebody not just go up? And it's like she's holding your phone, which is clear, grab your phone, grab your phone back. Have your mom go up and say give me my daughter's phone back. Punch her in the face and you.
Speaker 3: Ate chop.
Speaker 1: I don't care, So I just I don't like do something. But she does. So there's a lie. She's so she's okay, if you haven't seen the movie, none of this is a joke. So she does all this stuff. She pants, she sits, she rolls over like a dog. Watching her commit these humiliating acts pulls her oldest step brother out of his trance somehow and he joins her on the floor, also doing these dog things as a silly sign of unity. Then coach stepdad Ted breaks out and joins in as well. Then the rest of her brothers and Jackson Gale follow suit like it's some sort of line dance. Notice the mother does not come and join them, which I thought was really weird. This also, of course infuriated but one weird thing after another. This also infuriates Taylor, especially because the app isn't work anymore. Zoe explains, you can never make a dog turn against its own pack, and then Rachel reveals herself to be the team mascot and tackles Taylor. Why did she have to be the mascot to do this? Couldn't she have tackled her like a while ago, just run out and tackled her before all the using the app and doing all this stuff?
Speaker 3: Now why I also thought she was with Zoe? Wasn't Didn't we see her with Zoe just not long before this?
Speaker 1: Yep? I think we did.
Speaker 2: And then and then she she ends up like somehow like secretively jumping into this mascot.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I was I was going, wait, what did she was she doing?
Speaker 1: This?
Speaker 3: Was this the part of the plan?
Speaker 1: I don't I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: This is when I told you how I had to rewind it I because I think I took a break before this and went back and went, wait, okay, okay.
Speaker 1: Felt the same way. By the way, at this point, after watching it in chunks, I looked down at my watch and said, how is there.
Speaker 3: Still so much? I felt the same way, like, this is not even almost done. I don't have a couple of minutes left. There's fifteen, fifteen.
Speaker 1: Or twenty minutes left in the movie.
Speaker 3: And you're going, how, oh, how, how what else is there to be done?
Speaker 4: Yep?
Speaker 1: So yes, she gets tackled. The tackle hurls the phone into the air, and Zoe catches it to release everyone from their trance. The men aren't The men aren't sure what happened, but who cares. It's game time, and okay, that's what's left in the movie, the basketball game. And man, does this basketball game feels so unimportant now? Taylor assumes Zoe he's going to use the app to control the school and make every guy like her, but instead, our main character smashes the phone, breaking it forever. She says, there's more to life than what's on the phone, and then the game that means nothing anymore starts. While Zoe tells the truth to Jackson, she also admits she likes him, and in turn, he admits that he likes her. He wants to go on a real date with her, none of this hangout stuff. Rachel interrupts them. It's time for the big halftime dance off. Another thing that means gall at this point, I didn't even remember it was happening. At the end, I was like, oh my god. And then they keep cutting to the college scout, like what the who's taking notes in the front.
Speaker 5: O?
Speaker 3: Yes, of the dance scene, of the dance, Yes, all of it.
Speaker 1: Anyway. The dance off begins with the varsity squad taking the court first and performing a great routine. How will the JV rejects ever ever beat them? Zoe tells her squad to just follow their hearts and have fun. Without the power of the app who knows what will happen. The school uses an applause meter to gauge the winner, and Varsity is way out ahead. As they wrap up their performance, it's JV's turn now, and they start with the traditional hakka, something two of the nerds had been suggesting for the whole movie. Zoe joins in, and eventually the whole team breaks out into a very impressive hip hop er team. Fine, when everything is said and done, their moves almost break the APPLA and they didn't need the app after all, which leads me to wonder, if they're the JV team, why did she have to do the app to get them to dance? Well, if they were good dancers the entire time, the JV team has won and will represent the school at state, we fast forward. Well, okay, I'm not even gonna get to the fast forward yet because you're well, we're both resident dance experts, but i'll throw it to you first. What did you think of the two dances that meant nothing to anything and we're just there to watch Sendaya dance.
Speaker 2: I I mean, I kind of just let the varsity want happen because I was really just wanting to see.
Speaker 3: To be honest, they were okay, they weren't like.
Speaker 2: Noticeably horrible, but they weren't necessarily effective either. I don't know if that makes sense. You know, It's like it was kind of the first one was just it was just kind of average. I don't think it was something like super impressive of any sort.
Speaker 3: It was just just it was a dance mediocre.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wasn't like anything great or but then you know, Zendaya is trupe like they're great.
Speaker 3: It was fine, you know.
Speaker 2: To me, it was kind of funny with the hakka, like it was kind of like, Okay, I guess we're really going for I'm not really quite sure, like why Maui has jumped into my screen from Mauana.
Speaker 1: But that's what we're going for, okay, yep.
Speaker 3: But again, Zendaya was just like mesmerizing, so I was okay.
Speaker 1: She's a star. She's a star every time. You can't take your eyes off her.
Speaker 3: Amazing performer.
Speaker 2: Like I'm like, oh man, I wish I'd gone to the show when she was on Dancing with the Stars because she's just so good.
Speaker 3: I'm sure so good life.
Speaker 1: I didn't know she was on Dancing with the Stars. I have never watched that show until the season. But she's great. You can't take your eyes off her. She's a total star. So we fast forward to sometime in the future. Is always entire families getting ready for that jog and Zowa's going to join them. It appears they have successfully blended together and created one big happy music movie over. Nope, movies not over. We then find ourselves back in the tradition of characters dancing new music, mixing with bloopers for the credits. We even see one more scene where Ted accidentally calls Zoe Zendeia and you would think that's the end of the movie again, but no, we get a rare dcom after credits scene. We see a male student cleaning the gym. He tries to impress a pretty girl by doing all the work for her detention. While sweeping, he notices the broken cell phone in the trash. He examines it, and when the girl sprays it with her perfume, it starts to spark again and we're right back where we started. App ready to put everyone in a trance. But more importantly, thank god, we're at the end of our movie. Who are these characters that we saw at the end, What did they have to do with anything? None of this made any sense? Thank god, this movie.
Speaker 3: Set up for a second one. I mean, I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's just bad. So anyway, let's do the real reviews Sabrina and you've got the one star and we have an honorable mention this week too as well. So can you read us our one star reviews?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? This one star comes from Shanny.
Speaker 3: St Creey movie.
Speaker 2: I'm against men personally, so this movie did spread a good message. But dogs are the best and it's mean to connect them to men. Love it adorable?
Speaker 1: That to me is as good and normal and like like thought out a review as the film was. Yeah, okay, but the honorable mention might be the greatest review I've ever heard in my life. Can you read the one star honorable mention too? Please?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: Honorable mention one star by Brian Frederick. If COVID nineteen in cancer teamed up to make a movie, this would be it.
Speaker 3: It would be this.
Speaker 1: Oh there is a review for the Ages people. I've got a five star review, which I'm amazed we found one. Thank you, sir Jensen. This is a five star review from izy h. Hello again, guys. I watched this movie with my loud friends again, but they were okay this time because I threw popcorn at them lol. First of all, this movie is so good and shows a clear message that girls rule and boys suck.
Speaker 4: I like that.
Speaker 1: I knew so many people like the Queens Anddeia, the boy from Radio Rebel and the dude from lab Rats, the blonde mean girl from Zombies, someone from Make It Pop, and a guy from Descendants. I think the only improvement would be that all the characters wear plaid. Five stars. Wow, thank you, Izzy h Babe.
Speaker 3: Next time.
Speaker 1: We break the pill in half. And now we come to Sabrina's favorite favorite part of our program, the feature game that we have. And so here we go to celebrate the debut of apps in a d com. Thanks to the listen and obey app terrible name for a product, by the way, we were going to be given the original names for apps or websites and we have to guess from a multiple choice list which very popular technological giant it became. So, for example, here's an easy one. Uber Cab became Uber three out of five wins. Number one Peekaboo was peekaboo, a Twitter, b TikTok or c Snapchat.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go a cee Snapchat.
Speaker 1: I am too. I've never once ever used Snapchat. I don't know what it is, but well I think if I know what it is, it's like that's the one where the picture comes up and then disappears, right it, well.
Speaker 3: It it's only up for twenty four hours. Was like the idea of it.
Speaker 1: I think it before before we start. I'm sorry, we know the producer Jensen isn't here. Who do we have with us? Reading? Reading us? This week?
Speaker 6: You're stuck with Lisa like you've never stuck with the joy to have.
Speaker 3: So yeah, there was this idea of like this was.
Speaker 2: I feel like Snapchat was right after like Facebook or whatever, where you put something, you post something, and it's on forever. This was this was it only goes, It only is on for twenty four hours, and then it disappears. And that's when my kids would think, like, oh, it's not that.
Speaker 3: Big of a deal if I post like a lot of issues.
Speaker 2: That happened with Snapchat originally was like the kind of scandalous things that kids were posting because they thought they could just like take it off. But it's like anyone can screenshot it, anyone can see it, you know. Soever people peek a boo makes sense to.
Speaker 1: Me, me too, snap Snapchat. We're gonna go both go.
Speaker 6: And see you're both correct.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay. The next one, number two, Confinity is confinity a PayPal, b zell or C cash App.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go with a PayPal.
Speaker 1: I'm going to agree with you a PayPal.
Speaker 6: It is PayPal.
Speaker 1: Yes we are two for two. Number number three bourbon b U R b N Bourbon. Was that a due lingo B Instagram or see WhatsApp? I'm gonna say it's b Instagram.
Speaker 3: I guess I don't understand bourbon at all.
Speaker 1: I don't either, which is why it's so weird.
Speaker 3: I'm going to go and see WhatsApp.
Speaker 6: It is Instagram.
Speaker 1: Hey, I already want I wonder what that what that would be so weird to the obviously the guys you created it, they knew exactly what that meant. It was something like, well, I drank bourbon one night and I came up with this idea. It's going to be something like that. Number four BackRub was BackRub a Google B discord or see uber.
Speaker 3: Background. I feel like is Google.
Speaker 1: I don't know why I'm gonna say Google this one. For some reason, I'm going to say Google too, it is Google. Hey, for.
Speaker 4: We won?
Speaker 1: We both won. And Number five kibble was kibble A Amazon, B, Facebook or C Netflix.
Speaker 3: I think I don't know why I'm gonna go with Amazon a A.
Speaker 1: I'm going to say, ce Netflix, did you just.
Speaker 6: Get a perfect score?
Speaker 3: Five or five? Do you know any of those for sure? Right away? I knew like two, Okay, did you know the Kibble one?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 6: I knew BackRub, but I can't remember what the other one was.
Speaker 1: By the way, Bourbon, BackRub and Kibble and Confinity all guesses for me. I figured peekaboo with Snapchat, but all the rest of yeah, completely guessed.
Speaker 6: Buy that lottery ticket right now?
Speaker 3: Will yes?
Speaker 1: Seriously? Surreal? Wow? Can we do Sabrina C's please?
Speaker 2: I thought you would actually catch on to this one, but this movie, Zendaya is the queen of like Jackets, Slash Blazers, Slash always has a second layer on.
Speaker 3: I didn't notice that she was just I mean, and they were cute.
Speaker 2: And that's probably why I recognize it a little bit more, just like her friend always had a hat on. If it wasn't a fedora, it was like a sideways hip hop hat.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: And so yeah, to the point where my second one is when her friend why can't I think of what Zoe's best friend's name is?
Speaker 1: Ohel?
Speaker 2: When Rachel comes out of the mascot. I almost didn't recognize her because she did not have a on like your hat, yeah, which she It was like, your face looks different because she don't have half of it covers. Brought me straight to my second one, and then the the last thing was just the bad girl's handshake. You know how we've seen.
Speaker 3: I wanted to.
Speaker 2: Actually, this is a question kind of for our producers, who are complete, like amazing just pros at everything. Yes, did that handshake ever become like a meme or anything like that, because there's a very distinct handshake between the bad girls right before they do their thing. They have like a flip, a hair flip into this or that. Lisa, do you know if anything happened from that, because it was a pretty good handshake.
Speaker 6: I do not remember. I don't know. I think get this one the one scene in that movie where they get on the floor.
Speaker 1: On that one next.
Speaker 6: Other than that, I don't remember the handshake.
Speaker 2: I just recently saw my last one was I mentioned it earlier in the podcast that there was one of the most awkward scenes and this is like on the top five most awkward scenes like on Instagram.
Speaker 3: It kind of made me go into it because I hadn't we had seen this movie yet.
Speaker 2: But this clip where they are doing the dog thing and they're all they all join in. This was on like Disney's number like top five, and it was like number two. It was it was I started researching it a little bit because we have seen some of them. It's one of them was from the others one.
Speaker 1: Camp Rock twere they walk in the dance That one is on it.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to think of. And then there was like a waver Waverly place one and then this was on it. But anyway, so yes, so I had to make sure we talked about it. I thought we would have anyway, but it was bonkers.
Speaker 3: It was so weird. It was like, even though we had already.
Speaker 2: Seen so many just strange moments and characters and things that were going on, this still happened. And it happened at the end of the movie, and then again we already talked about it.
Speaker 3: Then I was like, oh my.
Speaker 2: God, we still have so much more time and we've already passed the ninety minute mark. At this point, You're just like going, what else could we do that's going to just make this movie?
Speaker 3: Ough?
Speaker 1: Yep, that was it. I'm at this, Okay, I'm I never do this. I've literally I don't think I've done this in however many movies we have reviewed. Yeah, but I need to ask producer Lisa, Yes, did you.
Speaker 2: Like this movie?
Speaker 5: I will tell you I I did not rewatch it. I have not seen it since I did press for it in twenty fourteen. Okay, but the answer is probably no. But I will tell you that you can tell difference. So there's about a handful of Disney Channel movies that were made by an outside company.
Speaker 6: So it's like sixteen Wishes, Radio.
Speaker 3: Rebel, this, this Radio Rebel.
Speaker 5: There's a couple others, and you can tell because they're also very heavily Canadian with like their actors, and you can just kind of tell a difference. And these ones Disney just kind of licensed. So it doesn't really have that same magic of a real DCOM.
Speaker 7: Doesn't definitely well, yeah, like a fully produced, fully bringing in Disney writers, bringing in the whole thing.
Speaker 3: This movie fully misses the mark of a d COM for sure.
Speaker 2: And now that you said that, with the other ones, I feel like there were differences that you can see, Like I remember thinking Radio Rebel didn't. We liked it, but it didn't seem like a what we were used to seeing in G comms.
Speaker 1: So okay, well, now we get to the point. Thank you. I had to ask producer Lisa because I was so curious because if you came on and said, this is my favorite movie and I would have to meet it at park ten paces away, because it's possible that I don't want to know. I don't want to know. Okay, So now we have to rate this movie. Uh, let's do one out of ten this time, and we're gonna make ten. No, we'll make ten the biggest. Okay, okay, So our options are one out of ten, hanukkahs on rye one out of ten, chocolate carries fart bombs. Please don't pick that one. Justin Schortz one at a ten, sloppy Nacho borsch witches, jelly pickle, taco Carmel Sundays one out of ten, Shake dog commands, musical theater inspired flash mobs are one out of ten. Confusing after credit scenes. Which one would you like to do this week?
Speaker 3: I guess confusing after credits scenes?
Speaker 1: Okay, I agree, I think do I go first this time? Or do you go first?
Speaker 3: I think it's my turn to go first.
Speaker 1: Take the gosh.
Speaker 3: You know again, love Zendaya. I can't say that more at all, because this, to me was an unfortunate situation she put had was put placed in.
Speaker 2: Now we've done interviews and and David Henry, who we have recently talked to, mentioned because I wasn't on a TV show for them, like on their shows, I was in the D coms for them, he had mentioned that they're like in their contract of some sort, they had ties and like that this was an expectation.
Speaker 3: So because that's what he talked about with Dad Nap, Yeah, that stuck with me a lot during this movie.
Speaker 2: Was this something that she read and would have possibly passed on, but because in her contract with her show, was kind of.
Speaker 3: Couraged a little bit more to do this.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but it just didn't seem like a like a like a project she would have really jumped on. For me, this didn't seem like her brand either, if that makes sense. So I struggled really bad with this one. I again, I'm put in a position where I love the actor, love everything about them and their career.
Speaker 3: This was a miss, A huge miss for me.
Speaker 1: So I.
Speaker 2: This is one of my worst ratings, and I want to say I'm sorry before I get I.
Speaker 3: Don't tell my girl but and her zwaggers. But I'm giving this a four point five confusing after credit.
Speaker 1: Okay, after credit scene means that's fair. Oh, I thought it hurts.
Speaker 3: It hurts me.
Speaker 1: I agree with everything you said. She's a star. You gotta take her kind of out of the equation because we're here to talk about movies. Okay, So Double Teamed are all the other movies that I've given lower ratings to that I didn't like. I can get why other people would like. I could watch something like Double Teamed and see why somebody would would watch that at a certain age or any time and be like, you know what, this was one of my favorite movies. Okay, it wasn't for me, but I get that. Yeah, I don't. I don't see how anyone could watch this movie and like this movie. I don't. I don't understand it. So I think you were amazingly generous again taking her out of the equation. I'm giving this too confusing. Gosh, after the scenes, I liked nothing of this movie. This was if this if Zendaya wasn't in this movie. This is the one of the worst movies I've ever seen in my life. I just watched Troll two, which is considered the worst movie ever made, and I had so much more fun watching Troll Too than I had watching this movie.
Speaker 3: Troll to like the cartoon No Troll.
Speaker 1: Troll what is considered one of the worst movies of all times. A movie called t which literally has nothing to do as a goblin. Yeah, well it's supposed to be, but it's not. It's like the dumbest older older Okay, it's it's awful, but it's awful in a fun, fun way. And yes, I think Jennifer Anderson was in the first Troll movie and the second one had nothing to do with it. It was about goblins, but it became famous. They've did They did a documentary. Michael Paul Stevenson, who was the kid star of Troll two, did a documentary on Netflix. It's really funny about making this movie. It's great that at least was tongue in cheek and fun and I enjoyed watching one of the worst movie. This was just bad. Everything about it was bad. The acting was fine. I'm taking the acting completely out of the equation because even the other actors in the project who had the you know, had to do characters like the Fartmeister or whatever his name was. The acting wasn't bad.
Speaker 3: You sold it. It just was weird that they were doing it.
Speaker 1: In general, I do not blame the cast for this one at all, which is the cast alone bumps this up to a two for me. Wow, A too confusing after credit scenes. This was not a good movie. I again stand by this was not a good movie. Get why people would be like Double Teamed was great or you're such a jerk, Brink is amazing. I get that point of view.
Speaker 4: This.
Speaker 1: I don't see how you can defend this movie. It was just bad. Anyway, there we are wrapping it up, thank god. Next week we're doing Zapped two. No, I'm kidding right now, exactly, No, please, I think I think our next movie is gonna be awesome. I'm hoping because we really liked the first one. Yes, that's right, we're going back to spooky season and sequel season. It's time to tackle Halloween Town too with with my good friend Kimberly. So I'm I'm excited for this one because we liked the first one. We love the world. Some people I think even like the second one better than they like the first one. Yeah, I'm excited for I am too, and I need a good palate cleanser now. So, as you can imagine, Halloween Town two is available to stream on Disney Plus, so make sure you go and do your homework. But before we all get scared together, let's take a trip back to what we were talking about to camp Rock. For our park Opper episode, we spoke to Anna Maria Perez to Tagli, who is known to magical rewinders as Ella from the Camp Rock movies or Ashley de Witt from Hannah Montana. With all this chatter about an upcoming Camp Rock sequel, we had an awful lot to talk about. So let's hear a preview of what you can expect.
Speaker 8: We had a different director, we had a different choreographer. The dancing was so much harder, and I did half of that movie with a sprain foot, so all of the dance numbers, especially we Can't Back Down, which is the you know, the sign language one. I was struggling and me watching it back, I was like, I could see that struggle.
Speaker 3: I'm sure.
Speaker 8: Now that I'm telling everyone, people will watch it back and be like, oh, yeah, but she did not turn on beat.
Speaker 1: Ooh that was a good one. Yes it was. Make sure to subscribe to the dedicated Magical Rewind feed so you don't miss it, and listen to all of our interviews sitting in our archives by subscribing. For even more info, you can follow us at Magical rewind Pod on Instagram. Now, oh, I'm so mad the movie's over. Actually, what's funny. The movie's done and yet somehow there's still fifteen minutes left. Thanks everybody, we'll see you next time. Bye.