Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys, Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 5: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 5: Ready for a break? Yeah, and so much for that.
Speaker 6: It's time for The Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com. Were on right with Ambar Garcia, Brian brought us, Patrick Walker and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 7: It is Monday, August fourteenth, twenty twenty three, Season nineteen, episode number seventeen. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break. We're live from Oxnard, California. We're back in Oxnard, California, after taking a weekend to go back to Dallas Cowboys play their first preseason game.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 7: And now we are back in ox starting to finish off the week before we had the Seattle uh, and then maybe get back home at some point. I don't know what day it is, but I mean, at this point, we're just kind of making it work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're just rolling with the punches at this point.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But back out here in California where it's not as hot as it was. You know, we we got a nice reminder Nick once once we stepped off the plane at DFW of what Texas heat.
Speaker 8: She was out of it and it was just like, you know, we had kind of been talking a little bit too about just you know, it's a little warm out here, warmer than usual, but then that all ended pursues.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so it's nice. It is very back. Actually, just be back on the show.
Speaker 7: Yes, those adults that have basically missed the last month.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 7: Nick is no longer on the break, but he is on the break today because Amber is is not back with us right now, she's back in Frisco, and Brian's now with us right now, he's back in Dallas, and uh, and so we needed some reinforcements. We brought back on and for the for the week. So you'll be on today and Wednesday, and then once we get back.
Speaker 8: Might be doing a little talking Cowboys too.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we're just putting you whereever we can put you right now. And more than anything else, it's an opportunity for you to promote your new show, your solo show.
Speaker 5: Why don't you tell people about that? How's that going?
Speaker 8: It's going it's going pretty well. Cowboys storyline. Uh, it's just me and then until we get a guest, I mean we've been getting some some guests and we're fingers crossed all getting one today, uh for today's show. But yeah, it's been it's been fun getting a chance to talk with some fans. When we get back to the Star, we'll be doing a lot more of that. They'll be getting some of the callers. I'll be trying to interact with a lot of fans right now. It's been a lot of tweets been on that text line and then also get an opportunity to get some We've had some good guests in here. And then you know, of course Maverick from Top Gun showed up. Sort of air quotes on Maverick the Tom Cruise look like kinda he came into a deuced Vaughn interview and so it was like it was cool. We chatted with him for a little bit, but it was like, all right, go dude, because this guy is a real deal. This is a real deal.
Speaker 7: The game, Yeah, let's talk about that game. Cowboys. They lose, but that's not really the most important thing. Tell us what is the most important thing as far as the way you guys look at it coming out of that game? What do you think was I guess The biggest takeaway or best takeaway for the Cowboys.
Speaker 3: For me, health first and foremost. The Cowboys didn't have any major injuries. Knock on wood Niseean Wright. He was on the flight with a precautionary boot on his ankle. It's being described as a mild ankle strain mouth high ankle strain. Mike McCarthy just said that he doesn't doesn't look like Nashawn will play on Saturday against the Seahawks, but we'll see how that goes. Doesn't sound like there's major concern that Malik Jefferson left the contest against the jag Wars with a foot spray. Sounds like Malik has a better opportunity to play, but those two guys and Junior Forjoko had a shoulder injury that held him out of the game. But he has a chance to maybe play, but no major injury. So other than that, I'm good on health. Now, it's just going to play. Demarveion Overshown, he stepped up and showed me what he can be in this Cowboys defense, and then Ducevon showed you what he can be in this Cowboys offense.
Speaker 8: Yeah, true, I mean I think that you're right when you're asking McCarthy about Jefferson and who has a chance to play Jefferson and Naseean right, that's who you're asking about it coming out for a game. That's that's a good thing because it neither one of them really looked that serious. So you know the fact that Jacksonville played their starters and the Cowboys didn't, it's hard. It's gonna be tough to gauge that. Anyways, I thought the defense did well. Take the fumble away from from Turpid, which he did, but I'm just saying, you know, you take that away. I don't think they're really driving and doing a lot of stuff on that defense. So I thought I thought the defense did a good job, and I said it to you in the press box. If this is your backups, look at the guys that they got trotten out there. It just shows good depth.
Speaker 3: Especially to that point when you see a guy like one Ya Tommas, who's been building you know, good days in camp come out there, second player from scrimmage, and he intercepts not be a third and not Roork. He intercepts Trevor Lawrence trying to get one of his top receivers down the left side line. I mean, that's.
Speaker 8: Promising, such a good play. You had to kind of have an outburst, you know, it happened. All right, Let's here's what I want to do. Here's how I want to review this game.
Speaker 7: I have a full list of players and I'm gonna throw out a name and then I.
Speaker 5: Want you guys, just riff what did you see? What did you like? What did you not like? And let's talk about it. From that standpoint.
Speaker 7: You've already mentioned who I thought was probably the player of this game, Duece Vaughan. He had eight carries for fifty yards, a six point three average, a touchdown, and a couple of highlights that I've seen all over the place. I mean, you know, just he was the kind of that was a game for him where I think coming out of the game as similar to what happened with Kevante Turpin last year when he had the return for a touchdown.
Speaker 5: I think nationally people start saying, oh wow, that's a new toy for the Cowboys. What were your thoughts on duce Fon.
Speaker 8: Well, he's going up to make catches in the middle of the field, he's running the in between tackles and all that stuff. These are the things he's doing as a running back. And when I got a chance to talk to Will McClay last week, he said, we drafted a running back. We didn't just draft his gadget player. We drafted a running back. And I think he showed that right there. And I think, you know, I was talking to some people. They have a decision to make on Deuce. What do they want to do with him? Do they want to say, all right, this week starter? And I say that because it's really still the backups and all that. So you start the game and you get a chance to get some good run. Or do you just say, listen, let's let's feel this thing back and let's not let other teams know what we're gonna do with him. But he needs to work. It's a tough it's always a tough dilemma.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like I'm right there on the line. I feel like it's nearly time to bubble wrap him, like how we failed for Kvanti Turpin after those two kick returns last year. But I feel like, again, like you said, Nick, he does need to work. So I would get him to work. In preseason game number two against the Seahawks and then no matter what happens in that game, I'm sitting him for Game three against the Las Vegas Raiders. But uh deuce everywhere he did everything. He was a receiver out of the backfield, he was in single back sets as a running back. But more impressive to me, which I should say, what should impress people more so than anything, It's something that I've kind of been angling toward people, focusing on people want to find out who's going to be the short yardage guy when Tony Pollard is not on the field. Right, So, yes, you have bigger bodies in Ronald Jones, Malie Davis, Rico o'dowdle who I have as the front runner for RB two at the moment. But Duzvon showed you what he can do in the A gap, in the B gap. He can get in there, disappear and then he reappears at the second level, and then it's him in space versus a linebacker, and you saw what happened there. He starts collecting ankles like their bottle caps.
Speaker 5: And having them destroy each other each other.
Speaker 3: Now you see me, now you don't. Duvon just a fantastic first showing for the Cowboys.
Speaker 8: The screen game too, what I love is kind of out of there. And and the guy made a great play down by the goal line because he was cutting back. I thought he was gonna score on that one so close. But that is going to be a problem just sneaking out. It reminds me a little bit of I remember Bay back in the day with the Eagles with Brian Westbrook, is that you can blitz if you want, and you want to say, oh, we're gonna attack this little guy and see if he can picky. That's fine. But if he sneaks out, yeah, and he jumps it over, now you got problems. And so it's it's gonna be it's gonna be a problem there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there are a number of ways to handle the blitz. Picking up the blitz is one. One another is get that guy out and whoever's blitzing now is that guy left in a situation where either that other person is out there or one on one or nobody accounts for him. And those can be some interesting things. But you know, one of the interest things about duce Vaughan is this was not a surprise for me, and I think for a lot of people who watch Big twelve football, this was not a surprise. You're actually looking forward to seeing it because you were like, rest of the league doesn't seem to understand what this guy is.
Speaker 5: Yes, he's five five, but he is a problem.
Speaker 3: The movie on, he keeps hammering that home, trying to tell people, like, as a former Longhorn, if Marvey on Overshown one of the main people who've said time and again, wait until you see what he does at the NFL level. So's he's a problem for other teams. For other teams I would like to see, particularly in Game two, I want to see if they ask him to do more pass proeh, especially in those single back sets. I want to see if they ask him to do more of that so that we could get a better evaluation of what his potential is there. But other than that, I mean, he stole the show.
Speaker 5: All right, let's move on. Let's talk about my guy, my Longhorn.
Speaker 7: You mentioned him, Marvin Overshewn, another guy that I think showed up and played some good football.
Speaker 5: Tell me what your thoughts on him are.
Speaker 7: On him after that game, well, I mean I'll start other than hook them.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, he looks like he could be a safety and it might be that thirty five number, but he hits like a linebacker. He hits like even bigger than that. I mean, I think I think dan Quinn has got a perfect toy here a defense. I mean, you're talking about dudes for the offense. Overshown can be that guy on defense. He he's just got a great vision for him. I thought he was flying around. It was fun to watch. He's gonna be He's gonna and he's so smart. That's the thing with Douce. These two guys. You bring in guys that are play a big, big time football. They're versatile and they're very smart, and they're capable of picking things up, and that's why I think they're gonna be able to contribute early.
Speaker 3: Overshown Is continued to show that he's a ball magnet. He was a ball manet ball magnet. I'm sorry with Texas and he's showing that he's going to be a ball magnet with the Cowboys. He was flying around. I asked him after the game, I said, hey, you know, positionally you're listed as a linebacker. You're a convert from safety. Do you actually have a position? And his answer was I My job is to go out there and fly around, and that's exactly what he was doing against the Jaguars. And his flexibility, his versatility is going to be key, and like Nick said, it's a new toy for dan Quinn and it's one that's gonna be found that under the War's Waldough category, if you're an opposing offensive coordinator, you're gonna have to locate Michael Parsons because of the versatility, You're gonna have to locate guys like the Marion over showing he's on the field. Is he dropping back in coverage, is he coming forward? Is he playing sideline and sideline? He can do it all, And I love what Nick said. The fact is this kid punches above his weight class. So there were some concerns from some Cowboys fans saying, well what about his weight coming out of Texas? He hits above his weight class. He another guy who stole the show along with.
Speaker 8: You know who. He sort of reminds me of it and not not you know in the head space I'm talking about just not personality wise, I'm talking about player. He's got some Rolando McClain to him. In the fact that you're qualified yeah, a.
Speaker 5: Little different, yea, not even a little bit.
Speaker 8: Randomclean did not hit the way his body looked like he would hit, you know what I mean, he just didn't. And that's why you got to be a little little crazy to do that. You know, Well, you over over shown, I not want to say Overstreet over shown has got some of that.
Speaker 7: And you you mentioned that, but that the play that I think one of the plays at least that that we saw from over shown on that third and short where he basically the running backs running full speed and he basically grabs him and just kind of just just there the collision and overshown doesn't move at all. He gives no ground. That's what leads to the fourth down. That's like Landa McClain. We used to always talk about it when Alana mcclaan would hit someone. They go down, there was no extra yard, They didn't fall forward. Where they were was where they were going down. And I think that's an interesting the interesting comparison.
Speaker 8: I you didn't need binoculars in the press box to say who hit him? Like you just knew okay, the way that it just it ended right there. There was no rack or going on there, you know, hopeing not Yeah, well, I mean run after you know, contact or whatever you want to call it.
Speaker 5: There.
Speaker 8: All right, let's walk about ball magnets and rack, I mean.
Speaker 5: Get Amber off the show and it just goes crazy right as.
Speaker 7: She has her moments. Let's go ahead and we're gonna take our first break. When we come back, I have a couple other guys and several other guys we're going to talk to. Do We need to talk about the quarterback Will Greer. He spent a lot of time on the field. We'll talk about how well he performed when we come back. Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 10: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 11: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com Slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 2: Cowboys fans, after that move, We've just coined the term rowdy replay.
Speaker 5: Let's roll back the tables.
Speaker 3: Okay, there's our mascot rowdy cheering on the boys, and now he's on his phone on his Bank of America Mobile banking, now staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial assist in Erica. Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive. Cowboys fans just can't stop banking. Learn more at Bank of America dot com. Slash Can't Stop Banking.
Speaker 5: Kay is only available in the English language. Must download the latest version of the mobile banking app. Only available on select mobile devices. Message dat rates may apply a number FDIC.
Speaker 12: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf, the official Agon Turf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 13: Hey, Cowboys fins. Ready to spice up your next watch party, Bring yokiero guacamole.
Speaker 4: Be the game day hero.
Speaker 5: The yo kiero means I want and we know you want.
Speaker 13: Great, fresh tasting, ready to serve guacamole for your homegating and tailgating events. Made with real avocados and the perfect blend of spices. It will be the star of any party. You can find us at your local Robertsons or Tom Thumb in the deli section. If you can't find it, talk to your store manager and tell them Yo kiero, Yo kiiero guacam one.
Speaker 8: Back to the Break, The Emmy Award winning DOCU series Deep Blue, presented by Pepsi is back. Check out the season's four episodes on Cowboys Now, YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook, or visit Dallas Cowbies dot com.
Speaker 5: Slash Deep Blue Welcome back.
Speaker 7: Second segment of the Break Life Maxnard, California.
Speaker 8: Sea Blue.
Speaker 7: We had the first deep plue to run out last Thursday. Hall of Hawlly Fame the story of Chuck Howley, and this week we've got a new one that I'm actually really excited about as well.
Speaker 5: Call Close to the Vest.
Speaker 7: If you've never heard the story of what happened in nineteen eighty six, only game in the history of the NFL that to my knowledge, where a coach was actually asked to leave the field because there was a threat on his life.
Speaker 5: During a game. So interesting, intriguing story to say the.
Speaker 7: Our security guy, mister Wansley, is involved in this documentary and kind of told us the story and told us his story, so it's a part of that as well, but really really cool story. So makes you check that out this Thursday, and I think seven pm Central Time is when we'll be streaming it on all.
Speaker 5: Across all our platforms.
Speaker 7: You'll be able to check it out there and also be on demand for across our platforms for you guys to watch as well. All right, let's get back into this the recap of the game.
Speaker 5: Let's talk about the quarterback, Will Greer.
Speaker 7: He was twenty two of thirty one seventy completion rate. That's a very good completion rate, one hundred and ninety nine yards, two touchdowns, one interception. I got the sense watching the game and throughout the game that when I saw the numbers after the game, I thought the numbers were better than what I watched.
Speaker 5: Sod you guys get the same because.
Speaker 8: There's yeah, and there's one reason for that. Send me for Hoko. How many times did he snap the ball and throw it straight to Fojoko? Give him credit for that. That's fine, that's recognizing corners. We want to play ten yards off, that's fine. I'm gonna throw it to the foco. We're gonna get five or six, seven yards whatever, not nine. Sometimes that's gonna help your completion percentage. You're right, I think I think his numbers looked better. There were some times it was okay, it was good and bad. He got a lot of reps and he's more you know, mobile obviously than Cooper Rush. So but I thought he played okay. But yeah, I agree, the numbers look better than the eye test didn't wasn't.
Speaker 3: There And when you go back and look at the film on will Grid from that game, it was solid, but he could have been better. And he come up here and admit the same thing. That interception on first and ten uh in the fourth quarter. That can't happen. He wants that playback, the throw to Sean McEwan out to the left flat. He wants that throwback to throw the Jalen Brooks out to the right flat. He wants that throwback. But then semi Fojoko, So give him credit for making the completions. But two consecutives Semifo Hoko, and I think it was on that drive. He had three consecutive the Dennis Houston who made some play, so those are that's five. So those are five completions. Give him credit for that. But as far as statistics versus gameplay, it makes the statistics look a little bit better than maybe the gameplay was so really solid game from Will Grier, but he does need to stop trying to make the big play where the big play is not there. And I think he'll have a better showing against the Seahawks if he takes that the heart.
Speaker 7: All right, let's move on to Damone Clark, the other linebacker in this game.
Speaker 5: What were your thoughts on him?
Speaker 3: I can't. I don't have enough praise for what I'm seeing Fordmond Clark. I've been as timing again this offseason. What defensive guy do I think makes the huge leap in year two, and you could go to Sam Williams and he played well as well, but Damon Clark is just primed to do so, especially now that he's taking on that starter row alongside Laton Vanderish. Damon Clark had a strong game, to say the least, his name. It was being called all over the place in the first quarter, first half of the game before we started kind of migrating to Hey, the Marion overshown has taken over this game as well, So Damon Clark de Marrion overshown. Those two linebackers are showing the cow Boy's depth problem at linebacker might not be one at all.
Speaker 8: So yeah, yeah, he's got so much range, you know it. Look he looked thinner to me. He looked or leaner maybe is the right word. He just I'm not saying he was, you know, overweight or anything last year, but bulky. But if you're gonna if you're gonna be out with an injury for a while, espreshly at neck injury, you're gonna be out for a while. You come back, you're not gonna be in the same shape you are. Now he's been he's been really like he just he just looks more like a safety like it. I know I said that about Overshowing, but that's what they look. But he's got that speed, he's strong as an ox, and I love his mentality. His mentality, it's just no nonsense, ready to ball out. He's He's done that since the day he got here. I mean, this defense has wild cards to me, Like, you know who the stars are. But if these four or five guys, and I think Bland is one, I think I think over shown as one demo Clark, I think Fowler and Sam what these guys also give you stuff with? You know what you're gonna get over? Man, this could be really nasty.
Speaker 3: When you see a guy who's as who has the frame of Damon Clark, who's as chiseled as Damon Clark, nearly run down a running back from the backside who's going to the left of the play, and Damon is coming in from the right side of the play. That's really all you need to see to understand what the moon Clark might be In twenty twenty three. Yeah, it was.
Speaker 7: Interesting after that game as I was thinking about it. Between those two, the one thing I think that we all saw was the speed, their ability to get sideline the sideline to make plays. And again over shown that's who he was in college. He was a guy who was always around the ball. Every play almost you'd see overshown was around the ball, whether it was downfield, whether it's up near the line of scrimma. He was just a guy that has a knackt for the ball and was around the ball. But you see those two guys running, and I think it makes it even more imperative that a guy like Mazzie Smith get in here and get his feet under him, because if those guys up front can keep bodies off these linebackers, these linebackers can definitely run and they.
Speaker 5: Can create some problems for a post to bank exactly right. All right, let's move on. Let's talk about Brandon.
Speaker 7: Aubrey, which I thought was an interesting day for him. He made the one field goal he had was twenty nine yards. He was two or three on extra points. He did miss one of his extra points. We had five touchbacks, which, again, when you're kicking off, that's a good thing.
Speaker 5: What were your thoughts on on Auburn.
Speaker 3: The power in his leg is there, It's evident. I mean, he's absolutely just kicking sticks of dynamite on kickoff. So you know, when you talk about who is going to be the kicker for the Dallas Cowboys in twenty twenty three, like you said, you got a factor in the kickoff as well, because if you talk about a guy like Robbie Good, now, the question is will he be able to do kickoffs and things like that. So he's got that in the bag. Alby does as far as kickoffs are concerned, kicking he had. He was having a good game until he missed the extra point and then comes the PTSD for all involved because we're like, oh my god, Brett Maher, we've been through this before. Now. Aubrey was asked about it after the game and he said that the operation was clean and it did look clean on film, but he admitted that he quote unquote rushed it and he didn't have to do that. So hopefully he settles in for game two. But all in all, it's a passing grade. You just hate that an extra point kind of put a black eye on.
Speaker 8: It because it was a bad miss. Yeah, just like oh did he No? It wasn't end Dan, Like, no, I think I don't think he I don't think he connected with the net there. You know, I think it's a souvenirio. What happened at the stadium. I mean, that's just that's bad as I mean, it's a bad miss. But you gotta remember, I mean, this is a huge chance that they're taking on him because he did not even play college football. He didn't kick, you know, at the big House in Michigan, or that he didn't do that. He's kicked at the USFL, which I don't think is setting attendance records either. So I mean, I know some some teams are some teams over there decent crowds. This is this is still new to him. So I think it's you know, he's competing with every kicker that's not doesn't have a job right now.
Speaker 7: Absolutely fact, did you guys come out of that game sold that he more soul, more confident, that he could be the kicker less confident or about.
Speaker 8: The less confident for me, less confident.
Speaker 3: I gotta my needle hasn't moved in one direction or the other. Because it started to nudge forward just a little bit, and then he missed the extra point and they dropped right back down. So I'm still where I was before the game, and we're looking at game too now.
Speaker 8: I think the standard has gotten really low though, because we're you know, like the touchdown Tolbert like great, and then it's like it made the expert. We're all like, we're watching extra points. I mean, how about a fifty one yard field goal, you know in Seattle with with you know, against the win or maybe in a little bit of rate and hopefully not rained, but you know, but something like that in some elements. Let's see, let's see something like that, because right now, extra points and twenty five yard field goals, I think that's that should that shouldn't be the standard, you know what I mean. So I didn't. I'm just a little shaky on him still, but he seems like it'd be great for the practice squad. But that doesn't help you on kickoffs.
Speaker 7: I meant at the end of the day, I do think we talked about this last week, like it's it's going to change.
Speaker 5: In my opinion, it's going to change how they play offense.
Speaker 7: Last year, I think they would get within a fifty to fifty two yard and they would think, Okay, yeah, we got it, we got the field goal, we're in field goal range. I don't think that's the way you play it this year. I think you're gonna be thinking, hey, we really are never necessarily just we're settling for a field goal.
Speaker 5: It's always you know, foot on the gas.
Speaker 7: Let's go and let's see if we can get in the end zone, because you just don't know. I think it's a it's I don't I wouldn't call it a crapshoot. I think he's better than that. But I do think there's always that question mark until he earns that credibility where you know he's money. We put him out there on forty five yard he's gonna make We put him out there on fifty yard, he's gonna make it. Until you get to that point, it's gonna have to change the office.
Speaker 8: I would I would take a Crosby or Robbie Gold. I would take a guy that's older that I think is gonna make him in the forties forty five because I've got Michael Parsons. And I say that because I don't have to kick a fifty five yarder every time. If I'm at the thirty five and it's fourth and six or whatever, I'm okay with anger punting it to the eight first intent and then let them play the way they want to play.
Speaker 5: When you know that might get your turnover more you might get a turnover.
Speaker 8: Or you're probably gonna be punning it back to turping here at midfield in about three minutes. So I go shorter field goals. I'm fine. I don't need to be kicking a lot of mainfield goals because I got a defense I trust.
Speaker 3: But Derek, we talked about this on the show a few episodes ago, and you know, one of my biggest things is kick the crutch from under the offense. Kick the crutch away, and the crutch being if you know you got a guy who can boom a sixty yard field goal, then at the beginning of that drive, you have that in your back pocket. If you take that out of your back pocket, it's likely going to change the entirety of how you call that drive. Now you're going to be more aggressive. Now you're trying to get across the fifty. You're trying to stretch the field. So I'm all for that. If you have a kicker that can be efficient up to forty five fifty yards but not longer than that. Totally fine, So bring me a Mason Crossby.
Speaker 7: Until you get to an end of a game where you need that fifty to go to overtime.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's when it right.
Speaker 5: Here's're gonna do. We're gonna take our final break. We'll come back.
Speaker 7: I got some names like Jaln Tolbert, Marquise Bell, Cavante Turpe that we have to talk about as well. We do that want come back, Dallas Cowboys dot com.
Speaker 10: Redeal Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 11: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com Slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 2: Once he used the Cowboys locker rooms favorite products. Check out the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black.
Speaker 5: Right now you can get the Jack Black Playmaker.
Speaker 2: A curated collection of Cowboys locker room favorites, for just ten bucks with free shipping. The Playmaker includes four Jack Black skincare favorites us a full sized intense therapy lip bomb. Go to get Jack Black dot com, slash Cowboys and use the code word Cowboys The Jack Black Playmaker.
Speaker 5: Tim bucks free shipping.
Speaker 14: Seed Geek has your back no matter what kind of fan you are. So whether you're a die hard fan or a don't really care fan. Oh we got them next time fan, or we'll never win again fan Here for the tailgate fan or a first one through the gates fan. The seat Geek not only makes buying and selling tickets easier than ever before, they made just about everything else easier to So whether you're a here every week fan or haven't been here in years fan, seat Geek has you covered. Download the seat Geek app today, Seat Geek your ticket the Great Seats.
Speaker 4: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of doctor Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller.
Speaker 7: Would you, dear doctor, my friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 12: But what's the right gift that says thanks for being a soldier.
Speaker 10: To cry out?
Speaker 4: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious Doctor Pepper. Nothing said thanks good? Better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: Just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 3: Back to the.
Speaker 8: Break, Come on to the Dallas Cowboys practice at the Star in Frisco during training camp presented by American Airlines. Free open practices will take place at the Ford Center starting with Cowboys nine on August twenty second and run through the twenty fourth. For more information, visit Dallas Cowboys dot com slash Training Camp.
Speaker 5: Welcome back.
Speaker 7: It is the final segment of the Break with Life Max Snart, California.
Speaker 5: It is our our We only have two shows here this week.
Speaker 7: We got one today, we got one Wednesday, and then we'll be heading to like I said, Seattle on Friday. Cowboys will take on Seattle Seahawks this Sunday, Saturday, and then we'll be back in Dallas probably like about I don't know, five six o'clock in the morning on Sunday, and ready to do it all again next Monday.
Speaker 5: Welcome to the season, guys. Yeah, is what we're doing. All right, let's jump back in. We got more names I want to throw to you.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 7: Coming off the Cowboys first preseason game, talk to me about Jaalen Tobert.
Speaker 5: What were your thoughts. Two catches, twenty nine yards on a touchdown.
Speaker 8: I thought a bad call from the offensive pass interference. I love the fact that he went and got the football. That's the one I like, the one that didn't even count. He went and got the ball, go back. I mean, that's most crews aren't gonna call that. I think I thought that was really ticky Tag. That's the player I like the most because I think it showed the aggressive stallies of alert catching tipped passes, smooth, he looks. You know, we've been saying it all year. Stop stop talking. You're saying all the right things, but nothing matters until you go play.
Speaker 3: And he did a good job, kind of kind of the opposite of to a degree, what we're talking about with Will Gear the stats look good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but the film, I'm with you.
Speaker 3: When it comes to Jaylen Tobert. The stats from last game aren't good. But if you watch the game, he was good. And of course if you can factor in if you would have been able to factor in the catch from that turn into OPI, which it was not OPI because the guy was already beat, and then there was the jersey pull after. So but that's long story. Go on Twitter and you'll see my rent on that. But that catch showed you everything you needed to know about where Jaylen Tobert is in his development. The fact that the release was fantastic. He had the guy beat on the release. The speed was there on the go route and then to turn around, elevate, locate the ball, come down with it and get both feed and bounds. That sideline awareness. That's what the Cowboys drafted Jayleen Tobert to be and it shows. And then I also liked that on the touchdown play. You gotta love the kids first touchdown on the Cowboys uniform, but if you go back and look at their route. First of all, fantastic play called by Mike McCarthy. But when you look at that route, it was so crisp and clean and so deceptive from Jaalen Tobert to pretend that he's sitting and sell it so well that the linebacker sat with him. But then it was hah, I gotcha. I'm gone middle of the field to catch touchdown. There you go. So I love what I saw from Jaalen Tobert. He's another guy who's been out here doing it in camp. Like Nick said, we hear you, we see you. Where's it that when it's time for the bright lights to come on? Bright lights came on at least semi bright lights came on last Saturday, and he showed up.
Speaker 7: He's been a name that I think most of you guys who've been watching these practices and reporting on these practices have been noticing he looks like an.
Speaker 5: Improved player over where he was last year.
Speaker 7: He's talked about that, like you said, Nick, Now he's trying to show it what he's been talking about.
Speaker 5: Let's talk about Cavante Turpin.
Speaker 7: He had one catch fifteen yards turned fumble. Is he is there any chance that he is not your punt returner when the season gets here. I know there have been people who have started to talk about duce Von like.
Speaker 5: Hey man, you know you got Ducevan. Maybe he should be the guy that's back there.
Speaker 7: I have a hard time believing that Camante Turpin, just from his skill level, is not the guy. But do you think there's even a chance that that could happen.
Speaker 8: There's always a chance. I think he's still a dangerous threat with the ball in his hands. Now he's gonna have to get away from people because I mean he can't. He will fumble, I mean, or he has and he's had some other place to last year too. You remember either the ball hit him in the face mask, I mean the ball control was an issue at times. I thought from what it sounds like, he didn't. He didn't have a great game at all. I mean, uh in Saturday, because he had some also some some mental errors lining up wrong receiver wise. So grades Tolburt and Houston grated out, Well, it doesn't sound like Turpin did so that that was kind of an issue there because we were trying to see what he did at receiver and so you know he's like, oh, we know he's a good returner. Well then he fumbles there, he drops a receiver and also had some mental error. So he needs to he'll he'll need to step it up here in Seattle. But hey, I'll be on the sidelines for the Seattle game. I was on the sidelines for the Charger game and I saw two touchdowns in a row. So I have a feeling I'm gonna get a fiscal Sea. Maybe we'll find out. We'll find out. Yeah, I hope that's why. I hope it doesn't rain. It rains. I won't be on side.
Speaker 9: Yes, oh yes, you will right eat Seattle.
Speaker 8: Who picked this?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think there's a chance, but I think that chance is exceptionally slim right now that there would be any other returner for the Boys in twenty twenty three whose name is not Cavante Turpin. And you're going to see, unfortunately, a mistake here or there. You saw it last year in the season, and hopefully this is him getting it out of the way. I'm talking about the fumble on his first return against Jacksonville. But I'm left to wonder when you look at Cavante Turpin in that game, I wonder if he was using too much of his mental bandwidth on trying to prove what he can be offensively, and it kind of stole some of that bandwidth as far as just the muscle merimory of what he needs to do making plays as the returner. But he showed some bad things, the fumble being one, the drop key dropped being another. But then he showed me some good things on the fumble on Rico Dawdle Cavante Turpin. Yes, that didn't go how the Cowboys wanted to go, but there's this little tough guy all the way downfield still blocking at the two in the one yard line. That effort was there. He made an impactful catch for a first down in the second half, so mentally he bounced back from it. Overall, I agree with Nick. I don't think that he graded out well for this game, but I did see some resiliency in the second half that I'm hoping translates over offensively to the game against the Seahawks. But as a returner again, hopefully he just that's getting it out the way so we don't see it in the regular season.
Speaker 7: This player I've probably been more excited about seeing in this preseason game than any other player, just based on what I've seen out here in practice and what I didn't.
Speaker 5: Know about him until we got out here.
Speaker 7: Practice John Stevens, he had five catches fifty six yards a touchdown twenty one was his longest catch. What his thoughts on John Stevens and his ability to.
Speaker 5: Maybe make this team.
Speaker 8: I think you got a tied end whisper going on with Lounda Wells.
Speaker 5: He knows how to find him, how to find him.
Speaker 8: I mean he'll tell you last year. I mean he told everybody Peyton Hitters shot watch this guy. He's got something. He's been saying about John Stevens since the minute that they signed him. I mean, he's just tall, lanky guys, but also not afraid to mix it up as blockers. It's one thing to just getting a tall guy and call him a tight end, but you got to be able to get in the trenches. And I think John Stevens did that that he also did the other things that he's been doing on a camp.
Speaker 3: Correct and on top of that, this is one of those situations where the stats do actually mirror what happened in the game. Targeted seven times, brought it down five times, fifty six yards and a touchdown later in the game. That implies that that player had a good game. Go back and look at the film, and that player did in fact have a good game in John Stevens. And you also saw some of the things translate from camp practices as far as John Stevens lining up on the outside as well. And when he lined up on the outside in one particular play that Jaalen Tobert touchdown, the safety and the defensive back the cornerback on that side of the field, they both had to respect his ability and his size, and that helped clear out the middle for Jayleen Tobert. So John Stevens lunda, Wells, Mike McCarthy, Will McLay, You've done it again, and it is going to make for a very interesting conversation as far as fifty three man cutdowns go. If John Stevens continues this trajectory.
Speaker 7: Talk to me about the first round pick, Bozzie Smith. What'd you see?
Speaker 8: Honestly, not not a ton. I mean that's maybe because I forgot my binoculars, but I mean, you know what I mean, was a big boy.
Speaker 5: You didn't need binocular Well, no, I don't.
Speaker 8: I don't know. Did he make a ton of plays? I didn't. I didn't really see him.
Speaker 3: So from from what I saw, the reason that his name wasn't called often as far as making plays was went back and looked at the film yesterday and there were several occasions where the Jaguars threw double and on one occasion a triple team at him before the third got peeled off for another assignment. So the immediate respect looks like it's being paid to Mossie Smith and his strength and what he can do. And then when they didn't double team him, he absolutely humiliated someone's father, brother, uncle by just shedding him, just throwing him to the ground and then getting there for Yeah, it could have been a TfL but probably was a stop at the line of scrimmage on a run to the left side. So it looked as if when Mazie isn't getting that, isn't being forced to eat up double teams, which is one reason that he's here. And if it's one on one he won more often than not. But then the double team guess what his teammates were able to win. Chauncey Goosten was able to win, Osa was able to win, So from an overall grade, he did exactly what he was supposed to do even when he wasn't able to do much.
Speaker 7: And one of the things that looked apparent to me was even on plays where he wasn't the guy that made the tackle in the run game, when the Cowboys made good stops in the run game. Typically what I saw if Mozzi was on the field, Mazzi was in a spot he did not move, and because he did not move, running backs had to adapt, and when they adapted, it created less room for them and that forced that that allowed the Cowboys defense to get in and make the tackle. So there's gonna be a lot of times when you will see a game.
Speaker 5: Where you're like, did Mozzie Smith play?
Speaker 7: But all you have to do is go look at the film and watch what happens on these running downs and you will see his impact. I think it's it's apparent when you watch that. It just may not always be apparent in the statue.
Speaker 8: Well, and that's why you have these If you're gonna clog the middle, you gotta have linebackers that can chase sides of the sideline, which is what we've been talking about real quick.
Speaker 7: I do want to talk about one other guy, Eric Scott. He's a guy that got a lot of love out here at practices throughout training camp, cornerback draft pick. What did you guys see from him to see anything in this game or see anything after the game in watching film that may have given you an idea on him.
Speaker 8: Six round pick from Southern miss you know, and the lights were on and it wasn't his best It wasn't his best performance. I mean, like, I think he had been doing some really good things out here. You want to see him and carry over. It wasn't terrible, but I mean they just wanted him to kind of compete a little bit more. He was not the best sixth round pick on the of the night for the Cowboys, I think. But are they discouraged? No, No, this guy's got he's I love his demeanor, his confidence is good. He'll he'll be fine. I really do. I think he'll he'll be fine. I just don't think it was his best game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he has the demeanor, He's definitely got that dog mentality. He has the skill set, albeit it does need you know, the sixth round pick. He's a rookie. But looking at the film, he got caught with his eyes in the backfield a little one too many times from my liking, and that allowed free releases out of the backfield that allowed his receivers signing sometimes to get out in space when otherwise he may not have. So I think that that's the key for Eric Scott going forward, especially going into Game two against the Seattle Seahawks, is that he needs to just understand his assignments, his keys and not try to overplay or not try to do too much. I think that could go to the fact that came from a smaller school. The big lights went on, he was at at and T Stadium, the pomp and circumstance of it all, and maybe he felt like he needed to prove when really he just needs to play football and be Eric Scott.
Speaker 8: And he'll get more reps because I don't It doesn't sound like Nation will play this week. That means Bland will play something. You don't want to play him a ton anyways, And you've got Kelvin Joseph out there, and I would think Eric Scott will come in after that. So I mean Eric Scott has a chance to play a lot in this escape.
Speaker 7: Ye all right, we appreciate you guys, Jonas. We will be back on Wednesday. We're gonna wrap this camp up on Wednesday. I'm gonna have lots of question for these guys about their big picture thoughts on this team. After finishing a whole training camp and then heading back to Frisco for about another week of training camp before we get ready for the season. Until then, for Nick even Patrick Walker, I'm Derek and this has been the Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.