Speaker 1: Hey, Jody Sweeten, what's.
Speaker 2: Up, Hey, Andrea Barber. I don't know, I just felt like changing it up today.
Speaker 3: I don't know what that was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm trying to think of new things, like new ways to say hello, new new accents to try, Yeah, new greetings.
Speaker 3: New new accents to try hello, like missus doubtfire, that's hello.
Speaker 4: And it's a drive to day mating like who should I be Australian today?
Speaker 3: I you should do the entire show as Steve Irwin.
Speaker 2: Crikey mate, right and just yeah, everything is a reaction to a really strange animal in this show.
Speaker 1: Yeah there's plenty coming up, for sure, plenty of strange animals coming so.
Speaker 3: Oh plenty plenty.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I think that would be That's that's the challenge, is that we do an entire episode in a ridiculous accent. Why it even suggest it? Because now, pep, We're gonna be like, you should totally do it, and I'm gonna be like, I was just kidding and being an idiot, and as usually, gonna get getting it. Being an idiot leads into doing something stupid.
Speaker 1: We're gonna get emails and people are gonna be like, where's the Australian accent episode.
Speaker 3: And you know what, here's the deal.
Speaker 2: We don't want to get canceled in Australia, so we are saving the masses from our horrific Australian accents.
Speaker 1: Nothing worse than having to do an accent.
Speaker 2: Everyone, Yeah, everyone heard my English accent. The first like three scenes of Full House.
Speaker 1: It was very crosscuse me, it was I.
Speaker 3: Had it was not prepared at all.
Speaker 2: What it was it was me showing up the first day and then them going, hey, you know, we think we would get you a dialect coach, and I was like, please do yes, that would have been great, and then you know you're.
Speaker 3: Shooting it on the third day.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, I can't remember doing.
Speaker 2: If I start doing Shakespeare, I'll make sure and and really lean into the accent well ahead of time.
Speaker 3: But Fuller we just didn't have that luxury.
Speaker 1: I forget why Steph lost the English accent. Do you remember what, Walter?
Speaker 3: Could you pass me the water? I think it was you?
Speaker 1: I oh, was it my stinky feet?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think you. I think you like kicked your shoes off and put your feet up and I was like, oh, oh my god, my accent's.
Speaker 1: Gone, oh okay, so the whiff of Kimmy really you.
Speaker 3: Killed Thank you Kimmy Gibbler.
Speaker 1: Saving the day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yep, but no, we were.
Speaker 2: Sitting around the table and I was like, pass the water and they were like water and I was like WoT, yeah, and that was the thing.
Speaker 1: See, you did it great.
Speaker 3: Anyway.
Speaker 2: I thought it was a great accent as long as all I'm saying is water.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and even that was yeah, no.
Speaker 1: It's they lost the accent right away because.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, could you imagine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, five season even they were like, you know, we should have cut it in the first five lines.
Speaker 3: But it's right, Yeah, I'm good. Life is good.
Speaker 2: Actually, the girls are on spring break. Well b has been on spring break this week, Zoe starts today and yeah, looking forward to you know, it's because they don't go to the same school though. It's that fun thing where like they're not really on break at the same time, so there's never like, yeah, we all just sleep in and what you know. It was just some yeah, but actually it's fine. It keeps us kind of all on a schedule because they tend to be like there's no rules when you know, it's summer or spring break and stay up three am U. No, yeah, but no, Be is currently on with her tutor right now because she has some math homework to finish over spring break.
Speaker 3: So do you want plans? You've got to get that done.
Speaker 1: Not good?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Zoa's at school and yeah, she has her first behind the wheel test tomorrow, not test, but the lesson, her first behind the wheel lesson.
Speaker 1: Is she nervous? Is she excited? Is she ready?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: The answer to the last question, I have no idea, but I mean she has I've led her. You know, she's driven around parking lots. I did, just trying to get in between the lines and you know, practice signaling and all set. But this will be her first post permit behind the wheel with someone else driving.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh wow, so she'll feel much better. Is it a two hour lesson? I think they do two hours.
Speaker 3: I think it's just a one hour lesson.
Speaker 1: It's just one.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's one.
Speaker 2: But she's got to do like ten hours of it, So I think they break it up into ten sessions. Oh that's like spaced out over I think six months something like that. Like, so it's you get a regular time then plus you know, all the all the hours that we have to sign off on as parents.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was terrified when Felicity took her first driving lesson and I was out in Studio City shooting for Lele and so I wasn't there to like she was home alone, say to meet the instructor by herself and go out by yourself and your life.
Speaker 3: But also she's like, you know, you're like, but also she's getting ready to drive, So I guess I need to start.
Speaker 1: Leap into independence.
Speaker 2: Being sixteen and looking at a sixteen year old are two very different things. Being sixteen, you're like, I'm fine. Looking at a sixteen year old you're like, you are not.
Speaker 4: You're not fine, right, Yeah, No, you need a lot of life lessons and driving lessons.
Speaker 1: You can never have enough lessons.
Speaker 2: As long as no one backs their car through my kitchen, I consider it a success in my house.
Speaker 1: If that's the standard, I think you're safe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, especially considering the kitchen is a little further back in the house.
Speaker 3: Of they backed through my kitchen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe you'd have to do like a three point turn to back into.
Speaker 2: Have a shape shifting backyard in order to fit a car back there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the only way the Tanners got it done.
Speaker 4: That's the only way that they could fit all those cars in the in the backyard.
Speaker 3: We ever have, did we ever have?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: I'm sure we did, But like a DJ driving episode? Are you guys driving?
Speaker 4: There was one episode. Uh it was a location we had. We left the studio and I don't know if it was a driving lesson.
Speaker 1: I don't even know who was driving.
Speaker 4: But we did the whole fire drill thing where you get out of the car and you switch seats.
Speaker 1: We were driving Garth Garth Gibbler's.
Speaker 4: Car called wild Thing, and we got locked out of the car because so everybody got out of the car, swached places it locked and so we got locked out.
Speaker 1: So I feel like that might have been a driving episode.
Speaker 2: Because they were not like not like I mean, at some point there was like a driver's test episode maybe or something.
Speaker 3: I just I mean I was one. I never had one obviously for me, I was young. But yeah, I didn't remember.
Speaker 4: Oh we got a note, Season five, episode twenty, DJ receives her learners permit to drive.
Speaker 1: There we go, thank you for that note. That is thank you timely perfect. Okay, okay, cool.
Speaker 2: So we've got got like three and a half more seasons to get through and then we'll get there.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's what's going on around my house. How's how's life with you? Ab?
Speaker 1: Yeah, things are good. I've discovered a new rewatch podcast which and I don't listen to rewatch podcasts, which is ironic because I co host one.
Speaker 3: But well, I mean it's like I don't watch sitcoms. But right, I know, of course.
Speaker 4: We're so weird like that. But did you ever watch the show Felicity from nineteen ninety eight?
Speaker 2: I know of it, but no, I did not watch it, but I know it was Carrie Russell and her hair. Oh yeah, the hair or her hair and Carrie Russell, depending on who should have the emphasis.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, and that was very controversial when she cut her hair in season two or threey I can't remember.
Speaker 3: And you know, God forbid a woman cut her hair.
Speaker 1: The ratings tanked and they blamed it on her hair.
Speaker 3: Is terrible.
Speaker 4: Anyways, So there's a new podcast called Dear Felicity, and I think they only have like three or four episodes out and I am just I'm I'm like, now I get it.
Speaker 1: I get why people love these rewatch podcasts. So I'm watching the episodes at night and I'm listening to the Oh, it's fantastic. It's a it's a real deep dive because they dealt with lots of sy It was an hour long drama. Yeah, they dealt with us.
Speaker 3: Yea drama. And it was like college age, right.
Speaker 4: Yes, it was about freshman It starts with freshman year in college.
Speaker 1: It went for four seasons.
Speaker 2: Yes, there's definitely some heavier topics and things to discuss.
Speaker 4: I watched episode seven last night, and they deal with sexual assault in the first season set episodes sound I'm like that they really dove deep right away, like straight from the jump. So anyways, highly recommend if you're not you, But for any fans of Felicity, I mean my I name my daughter Felicity.
Speaker 1: This is like my all time favorite show city.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well okay, yeah, I love I love the name, of course, and I love the show. And so I'm like, okay, that's what I'm naming my daughter Felicity. So I don't know if she knows that I should tell.
Speaker 3: Her that she does.
Speaker 2: Well, if she listens to our podcast, she will now and I'm sure she doesn't she.
Speaker 1: Does not know what would she? No, my kids have no interest in my career.
Speaker 3: My kids know.
Speaker 2: They're like, oh, the one thing I want to hear is your voice more.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I'm good on that. I hear it enough. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: They wish they wish that we were quieter sometimes.
Speaker 3: Right, They're like, yeah, no, I don't need to hear more of my mom's voice.
Speaker 1: All right, well, should we recap an episode today?
Speaker 3: Let's do it. Let's you know what I'm feeling. I'm feeling frisky. Let's do That's recap an episode on our rewatch podcast.
Speaker 4: What a great idea, something different. Okay, let's get into it. Welcome back to how Rude Tannertos. I'm Andrea Barber and I'm Jodie Sweeten, and today we are discussing season two, episode thirteen, titled Working Mothers.
Speaker 1: I have opinions about that title. I do too, But we'll get We'll get there, We'll get there.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It originally aired on February third, nineteen eighty nine, and.
Speaker 1: It goes a little something like this.
Speaker 4: After Jesse and Joey are offered full time jobs at an ad agency, they struggle to decide if they can do the job and still be moms to the girls.
Speaker 3: Why is it gonna be moms?
Speaker 4: I yeah, you know, it's why can't it just be parents like they have? Can they be stay at home parents or whatever?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: But yeah, they lean heavily on the gendered language in this episode.
Speaker 3: So it was it was nineteen eighty nine, that's.
Speaker 1: You know, definitely nineteen eighty nine.
Speaker 3: Some of yeah, so again some of these, some of these episodes definitely go ah, yes, the eighties, the eighties, right, yep, although it's gotten so much better. Who'd know the difference.
Speaker 4: Okay, anyway, anyways, it was directed by Peter Baldwin, written by Jeff Franklin, and we have three stars returning as Grandma Irene is Yvonne Wilder.
Speaker 1: Gosh, I love her, she just she's great. I just love every.
Speaker 4: Time she just know, I command the scene like she is so good.
Speaker 1: Great, Yeah, love her.
Speaker 4: And then we have James Hampton as mister Maltesta. He appeared in the films The Longest Yard and Teen Wolf, but he is best remembered as the eager but inepte butler Private Hannibal Dobbs oh Burglar, not butler Private Hannibal Dabbs in the classic.
Speaker 1: Sitcom F Troupe.
Speaker 4: Oh Yeah from nineteen sixty five, sadly passed away in twenty twenty one from Parkinson's He's great too, and I think he comes back yeah future episodes as the ads the ad Agency boss, so he's great too. And then lastly, we have Nora Masterson as Edna Foley. She is known for Quantum Leap, Other World and Dallas.
Speaker 1: Oh Yeah, she's great too. Love her all right, so let's get into it. We open in the living room.
Speaker 4: Michelle is wearing roller skates and is decked out in safety gear. Stephan DJ are holding her hands to keep her steady. DJ compliments her on being such an athlete, and Steph wonders why it's such a big deal they're holding her hands. Michelle gives her a judgmental look.
Speaker 3: The looks in this scene were hilarious.
Speaker 1: They're so good.
Speaker 2: I think it was it looked like Mary Kate. I think it was Mary Kate. But yeah, the looks and the attitude were just hilarious. You can really see them like this episode in particular, I feel like you really see Michelle kind of starting to have funny lines but like they finally figured out that they could kind of repeat what Adria said, and so they started really leaning into that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can tell they like the reaction When they get a laugh from the audience. You can tell that they're like, oh, oh, I'm going to do that again, I'm going to do it better.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's great.
Speaker 4: It's great watching the evolution of the babe when they were babies and now they're growing into the actors.
Speaker 1: It's so great.
Speaker 4: So DJ is trying to build Michelle's confidence, but Steph is annoyed because Michelle is two and Steph didn't learn to skate until she was four. Again, Michelle gives her a judgy look. Michelle easily likes to go of their hands and walks away in her skates. DJ asks, well, and Steph comes to the conclusion she's lying about her age. I'm very impressed with uh, with the skating skills of Mary or Mary Kater Ashley.
Speaker 1: She's really good at walking, she can.
Speaker 3: Walking in at walking. Yeah, well, I mean, have you ever tried to skate in those plastic skates?
Speaker 1: It's been having a kid.
Speaker 3: I tried it last week. No, those plastic skates, I mean it's it's like trying to skate an office chair across carnolium. Yet right, like it's not it's you're not gonna pick up any speed or yet or traction.
Speaker 2: Well no traction you'll get no, but no like no smooth, definitely none.
Speaker 3: Yeah no. But still she was great, And I mean all the safety gear was exactly how my dad used to make sure that I left the house when rollerblading, and then I'd go around the corner and rip it all off and hide it under a bush.
Speaker 1: You did, I could totally picture that. Yeah, my experience with roller blades.
Speaker 3: Were you on?
Speaker 1: This was during Fuller House?
Speaker 4: Were you in this scene where I had Kimmi roller blades into the front door or through the front door and has to land on the couch and they had a stunt double for me, and I was like, I need a stunt double i can roller blade and they were like, no, you're not putting on the roller blades. And I'm like, I'm going to put on the roller blades. So I put on the roller blades and skated over to video village and.
Speaker 1: What happens fell on my button?
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: So they're like, yes, bring your life stunty.
Speaker 3: Thank you for letting us see in action that we were right.
Speaker 1: Oh worst, A very humbling moment.
Speaker 2: But well, I mean, I guess in that case, Mary Kate was doing a lot better than you were.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's why I'm impressed with her abilities.
Speaker 3: All.
Speaker 1: She did way better than I did at age.
Speaker 3: I already lepped over the carpet probably actually you.
Speaker 1: Did many times, many times.
Speaker 4: So we have the opening credits, and then we are in Jesse's room. Joey and Jesse are pacing. They're trying to find a way to give their new jingle some pizzazz. Jesse points to the poster of Sammy Davis Junior and gets an idea. Joey suggests, we'll give them a Sammy double whammy. They channel their inner Sammy Davis Junior and give the jingle a shot.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, it was bad. That was cringe.
Speaker 3: It was super cringe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was it.
Speaker 3: I want to I was like like I just kind of sucked up into myself.
Speaker 4: I was like, no, no, you know, they tried, they tried, they tried.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a for effort, but yeah, it was not good. Not good.
Speaker 2: Sorry, that's okay, Sorry, guys, Yeah, it was. I mean, look, it was as good as my English accent.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's fair, that's fair. Yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: Jesse reminds Joey that they have to get this done by tomorrow, again procrastinating what yeah, Then he asks how much time they have before the girls come home. Joey states, well, at the stroke of three, we turned back into housewives. These these gender jokes did not age well, so Jesse quickly asks Joey what comes to mind when he says twenty four hour convenience store.
Speaker 1: Joey shrugs six dollars for a loaf of bread.
Speaker 3: Now here's here's here's the sad thing is in today's economy, I'm not sure if that's good or bad. I'm like, six dollars for a loaf of bread.
Speaker 1: I thought that was a lot for nineteen eighty nine.
Speaker 3: Right, right?
Speaker 1: But right?
Speaker 2: So that I mean, you know, the tour is a convenience store. You pay a lot more for like any little food items. But nowadays I feel like we're probably pushing six.
Speaker 3: Dollars for a loaf of bread. Yeah, I was like, six dollars over bread? Is that bad or good?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I hesitated too, sure of the reference. Yeah, yeah, I that joke didn't age well either, but yeah, well neither did inflation exactly. They continue to brainstorm ideas for Hurry Mart and come up with Hurry Mart, the Great American General Store.
Speaker 1: Jesse asks how much time.
Speaker 4: They have left, just as Stephan DJ walk in greeting them. Steph is dressed in a honeybee costume and tells Jesse it's his turn to drive the honeybee carpool.
Speaker 1: We can't be late, she says.
Speaker 2: The honeybee puns and things. Whenever the honey bees were around.
Speaker 3: Was just ridiculously good.
Speaker 1: Oh. I never get tired of the bee jokes, never get tired of them. I never get tired of seeing you enjoyed it in the bee costume, like it's so adorable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I feel this is just sort of a general note. I feel like the hair in this episode. Everyone hairstyles were a little, i don't know, a little better.
Speaker 1: For you or just they're cast in general.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think maybe we we finally got to taming that terrible perm of mine.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, but I also just like, uh.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I feel like we we the hair was a little better.
Speaker 1: They maybe French hairraid.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wrote that down like I love that French braid. Candace's hair too, has a lot of volume, a lot of Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like, yeah, I feel like we maybe got a new a new hair person or something, because it just feels like there's a little more attention to making the kid's hair look like really done.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I'll have to look back at IMDb or something. But I don't know if it was early seasons or later seasons. We had Frankie as our hair stylist.
Speaker 2: That was like mid season, so I'm wondering if she might have joined around this time.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I had Matt danon did my hair yes later seasons that was later season. I was definitely like season seven eight, So yeah, maybe this is Frankie. Frankie's come in and this is her stamp on full full house.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Anyways, we're getting.
Speaker 4: Distracted by hair by hair. DJ walks over to Joey and asks for help with her karate. He's holding a pencil in his hand and DJ chops it in a half. Joey's impressed. I pity the guy who tries to attack you with a pencil. Steph asks Jesse if he could teach her an Elvis song for the Honeybee Talent Show. Jesse replies in his Elvis voice, I'd be happy to help you out there, little mama, and Steph mimics the impression.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much. You're a beautiful uncle. And you did that impression way better than I just did. Right now. You did very good for a six year old or seven year old. You did.
Speaker 3: It's good. I can see I see the lip. Yeah, no, I can't do a thing. Yeah, this doesn't work. It was great.
Speaker 4: Jesse gives her some pointers by flipping her collar up and holding up her lip as she tries the impression again.
Speaker 3: That's what you need.
Speaker 1: You need someone there to hold.
Speaker 3: Up your lip.
Speaker 2: That's about the only way I can do it. But now I just look like I haven't getting dental work done. Yeah, I just like a yeah, you're getting a crown put.
Speaker 3: On my on my gums or something. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The next scene, we're in the kitchen.
Speaker 4: Jesse is pacing the kitchen while holding the telephone, telling it to ring, and Michelle mimicks him every time he says it ring. Jesse finally tells her, not you the telephone huh. Never get tired of that either.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 4: Right, Joey walks up from his room carrying four large garbage bags. He announces that he finally cleaned under his bed.
Speaker 3: Jesse's Joey looks very fashionable. By the way, this is the most normal I've seen Joey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he wears a suit later on.
Speaker 3: A suit, but like he's just got a striped shirt and the pants.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no wacky sweaters with geometric I mean, I think.
Speaker 2: There was something like a weird little emblem of something on the shirt. But from whatever it was like, it was not it was very demure, shall we say, for mister Gladstone's wardrobe.
Speaker 3: But he looked great.
Speaker 1: He does look great, more like a Joe. He's not Joey, he's Joe.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's sort of the thing, is that he's, you know, all of those clothes, like he cleaned out all of the ridiculous clothes.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. I can't even put that together.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I like that.
Speaker 4: Well, he had like four garbage bags. I mean, what else would be in those besides clothes?
Speaker 2: Anne, I've seen I've seen teenager's rooms. There's a lot of things that can be under a bed.
Speaker 1: It's like a hoarder's den for sure. God.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So Jesse is very stressed because the agency was supposed to call them at one thirty and it's one thirty two. They must have hated their hurry Mark jingle. Joey tells them to relax. They must have liked it so much they threw a party and lost.
Speaker 1: Track of time. Yep, right, sure, Joey.
Speaker 4: Jesse snaps back, what's obvious is that when you were a baby, somebody played the bongos on.
Speaker 1: Your soft spot. Ouch. Wow. The barbs keep on flying between these two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was actually a pretty good one though. Yeah, yeah, that was kind of funny.
Speaker 4: Joey asks for a hand with the garbage, and Jesse tells Michelle to come with them. When the boys walk outside, Michelle decides to slam the door shut on them, locking them out of the house.
Speaker 3: Okay, when do we ever lock the door though everybody else walks into the damn house? Yeah, We've never It's always always open.
Speaker 4: Kimmy, I've barged through that door more times than I can count, And so I'm like.
Speaker 3: When did they sudden suddenly we're locking the door.
Speaker 1: It's a convenient just for the jokes. Got the jokes gotta work, yep, yep.
Speaker 4: So the guys jiggle the handle and encourage Michelle to open the door. Just as she begins to walk towards them, the phone rings. She immediately runs over it to it and answers, hey man, Jesse. Jesse's yelling at her from outside the window to take a message and grab a pencil from the desk. Michelle says bye, man and hangs up the phone before quickly running into the living room. The boys think she's headed for the front door and run in that direction. And I think this is the first time we have seen actors use that space, that back window in the kitchen.
Speaker 3: With the light the back window.
Speaker 4: I like, I don't recall ever being back there for a scene. That's just where they store like dusty foliage and light fans for the wind right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think maybe one episode you saw somebody like cross another time, but yeah, something like that. But you've never seen anybody imply that you can get from the backyard to the front door through the sideyard.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, and now picturing the house because you have to go up, you have to go up a level to get to the living room, which is what the backyard is on the same level as the living room. So did they go around and then like slide down a hill to get around to I'm overthinking this. I'm definitely overthinking this.
Speaker 3: This is this, This house is the Winchester Mystery House. Okay, it doesn't. It has stairs that go nowhere.
Speaker 2: It's got it's like an Escher painting, you know, like it just looks like it's three different stories, but really it's just one continuous loop.
Speaker 3: Like the house makes no sense.
Speaker 2: Don't even don't attempt to like look at the picture and reconcile it, because it's just not gonna happen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and my brain already hurts just from trying to work that out in my brain, just from waking up. So all of a sudden, Danny walks into the kitchen and picks up Michelle. He asks where Joey and Jesse went, and she tells him they are on the patio.
Speaker 3: Danny lets up Lenie Ray the patio.
Speaker 1: I'm like you, she doesn't know what a patio is.
Speaker 4: Danny laughs and he says, when did you learn to say patio? And she tells him Sunday He asks when she learned to say Sunday and she responds Monday. This is so cute, you know, she's just learning her days of the week and she's just so proud.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, maybe she's just or she's actually having a conversation and she's just incredibly quick witted for a two year old, and she's got great timing.
Speaker 1: Secretly, Michelle is smarter than anyone else in the Tanner household, at least smarter than the gain. Oh.
Speaker 3: Look that I've seen a few episodes. Sometimes that bar is pretty low, you know what I mean. So it's possible.
Speaker 4: So Jessa Joey continue to run around house shouting for Michelle. Jesse offers her a cookie and a kiss if she opens the door. Danny hears them outside and unlocks the door himself. Where's my kiss and cookie?
Speaker 1: He jokes.
Speaker 4: The phone rings again and Jesse answers it immediately. It's mister Malatesta from the ad agency. Joey holds the phone to his chest so he can cheer loudly about the fact that they brought they bought their jingle whoo. He returns back to the phone and calmly tells the man that's awfully good news.
Speaker 1: Sir.
Speaker 4: Joey and Jesse split off into their rooms to get ready, and Danny sarcastically complains, somebody still owes me a kiss, and Michelle places one on his cheek as he holds her.
Speaker 3: That was so sweet.
Speaker 1: Oh love it.
Speaker 3: What an episode, though, that wouldn't make any sense today with cell phones with a landline. Yeah, waiting for a call.
Speaker 1: That phone, which by the way, looks very plastic and Fisher Price esque.
Speaker 3: No, it was real phone though, I mean it didn't it didn't connect anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they looked so plastically.
Speaker 3: But that's been a lot when you had colors that matched your decord. Who has a blue phone? Besides like blues clues, you know what I mean? Who's got a blue phone? Yeah?
Speaker 4: And it's it's not even like the lips phone. I understand why DJ has the lips phone because that's cool to a teenager.
Speaker 3: Also very difficult to talk into. Though.
Speaker 2: Have you ever tried to hold one of those half of a lip on your shoulder while you're trying to do something else with your It's nearly impossible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, it's not very ergonomical, but hey, it matches the curtains and that well, not the lip phone, but the blue phone. So right, right, that's all, that's all we care about, okay.
Speaker 2: And it had a very long chord because it lived on that little back table. And now it's, for some reason sitting on Michelle's table because that's where one would have a phone.
Speaker 1: Why was it on Michelle's table? I didn't mean that the joke could work, so the joe could work, So the joke could work.
Speaker 2: Well, now I think he's also holding it in the beginning, and then he sets it down on the on that tape so that the joke, so that the joke will work.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, okay, I'll buy that.
Speaker 4: So the next scene, we're in the the ad agency. Jesse and Joey arrive in suits and are greeted by mister mala Testa. He compliments their work, and Joey asks, so you really like our jingle? Mister Malatesta replies, no, I like my wife.
Speaker 1: I love the jingle.
Speaker 3: Such a vaudevillian joke, like Rodney Dangerfield. I wonder if this was a Lenny Rips joke. He wrote Dangerfield, and it's a very Dangerfield esque joke.
Speaker 1: I bet I bet that's a wife, but I love the right take my wife please. That's got Lenny's Lenny's voice written.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean it's also a very that was just sort of that the comedy of the time.
Speaker 1: But yeah, okay, yeah, no, it's funny.
Speaker 4: Jesse and Joey erupt into fake laughter. He asks the boys about turning their jingle into a whole campaign. Jesse tells him it's not a problem, but they haven't come up with a campaign before. Mister Melotusta laughs and Jesse and Joey join in. It's like, no, no, Jesse was telling the truth, sir.
Speaker 3: Why are you you hired these people to write a song, not to run an ad campaign.
Speaker 1: It's a whole different career right there.
Speaker 2: You know, right, You're like, I know you can maybe write a little music, but how about ad campaign?
Speaker 1: What I'm a commercial with actors and sets and commercial.
Speaker 2: Give me storyboards, give me the whole thing, right, I know it's not at all music related, but just roll with it. In a day too, they have a day and you have a corner office in San Francisco with a bay view.
Speaker 1: There's so many things not there's so many things raw episode.
Speaker 3: I mean again is the you know, the luck of men in the eighties. They just got it. They got it here. You want it. You want an office job, get your the whole job, the whole all of it.
Speaker 1: There you go, yeah, all of it, to take it all? Oh dear, yeah, Hi, that's the eighties.
Speaker 4: Mister Malatesta tells the boys that he has faith in them and if they do well, he will offer them a full kind job. Jesse and Joey are extremely grateful and they tell mister Malatesta they'll have the campaign done by next week. But before they can leave, mister Malatesta tells the boys they need to present the idea to the client tomorrow. Jesse and Joey laugh, but mister Malatesta isn't joking. He guides them into an office with a beautiful view of San Francisco, telling them to make themselves at home.
Speaker 2: They are they panicking that it has to be done tomorrow. When have they ever done anything ahead of time? They always do things the night.
Speaker 1: Night before, and then they stay up all night.
Speaker 2: They should be like, great, I'm so glad that you know our working style and that we only work under extreme pressure.
Speaker 3: So we got this.
Speaker 4: Yes, even if they had a week, they would wait until the night, wait until they're basically my kids. Yeah they are teenagers. Yeah yeah, waiting till the very last minute. I need a costume, I need to write a paper.
Speaker 3: You had to do this, I mean a week or a day, it really doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: So next in the living room, Danny is seated on the edge of the couch, using one arm to hold the phone and talk to Jesse and the other to hold a punching bag for DJ as she practices her karate. Danny tells Jesse, Yeah, don't worry, I'll cover for you with the girls. DJ needs him to hold the bag a little higher, and Danny tells her to go practice her mean faces instead. Danny tells Jesse, if you guys get stuck and need any help with funny ideas for your commercial, I could hello hello he was hung up on.
Speaker 1: They don't need Danny's help.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, they're obviously experts. They're like, no, they've gone from we don't know anything to like, we don't.
Speaker 3: Need help real quick. The confidence man from the one person who has worked Intel Vision before that might have some sort of an idea of you know, hey, you guys want to Oh you got it.
Speaker 4: Okay, Steph Waltz is into the living room with that red Scottie Dog sweater I think we've seen three times now, apparently.
Speaker 2: You know what though, I like that they lean into the fact that Steph probably is like, like Eddie Kidd has one particular sweatshirt that she's mildly obsessed with, Yeah, and like wants to wear all the time, And you're like, you you have to put that in the laundry place.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know about your kids, but my kids will definitely have like a hoodie or a jumper for those UK fans, they will just wear.
Speaker 3: All the time. Yeah, so maybe that's what that Maybe the Scottie dog sweatshirt is that first.
Speaker 1: That's your thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: For Felicity, it was sloths and everything. She had shirts, t shirts. Yeah, she had her.
Speaker 4: Notebook, her backpack. Everything was slots for a lot of sloths. I know she gets it from you because of your love of slots.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Remember the sloth in my living room?
Speaker 4: Yes, I wasn't there. I couldn't be there that night, although Celia invited me. But yeah, she brought a sloth to your house. Yeah, I don't even know how she arranged that.
Speaker 2: But wildlife, uh, wildlife wat station, wildlife sanctuary out here in like your Santa Clarita. Oh, it was like an educational tour. So they well, it's not like she threw it at her back in her hers, you know what I mean. It wasn't like, hey, look what I got you back? She right, No, it wasn't like that.
Speaker 3: Like it was like a like an educational school tour. But it just the school happened to be my living room and it was fascinating.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, so that like a trainer, a handler.
Speaker 3: Came, a handler came.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was a whole little thing it was hanging on and yeah, it was sloth. Wasn't just hanging from my curtains, you know what I mean, like it was. It was a controlled sloth environment because apparently they bite the whole side tangent. Sorry guy, Yeah, well this has nothing to do with full house, nothing at all to do with.
Speaker 3: This, but yes, slots bite.
Speaker 2: I did not know that they bite, and they have a bacteria in their mouth that can cause gangreen. Yeah, what the trainer said, one of the gnarliest bite she ever got was a slot bite.
Speaker 1: I thought they'd be too slow, like, can't you move out of the way, And that's the.
Speaker 2: Only that's the it's their only form of protection is they have big fangs and if push comes to shove, they're like, I might can't run away, but I will I will bite you, which is always a great technique I'm just saying as an effective fighting tool, if you can't run away, just bite.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just bite yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. All right, anyway back to the shows. Your lesson for your sloth.
Speaker 2: Lesson for today, guys, thanks to Jody's random information that.
Speaker 4: Could be a segment on this podcast is Jody's random random facts of uselessness.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe I can finally make use of it, you know.
Speaker 4: Uh So Steph is looking for Jesse because he's supposed to help her with an Elvis song for the Talent Show. Jesse tells the girls that their uncles are duck at work. Yes, and this is where you're wearing your French braid, which is very adult and very very beautiful, which I obviously did myself.
Speaker 1: Oh for sure, did your mom do French braids? I know that's a random question.
Speaker 3: My mom can braid. I can't. I have no idea how to do.
Speaker 2: Even my ponytails on my kids are wonky. It's much to my mother's disappointment. I can't get a nice, good, smooth ponytail.
Speaker 3: It's just I'm like, I don't know, because.
Speaker 4: I feel like your mom braided my did a French braid for me on my sixteenth birthday on Sale with the Stars.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes she did. Yeah, my mom was very good at braiding and hair and setting curlers and do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was.
Speaker 3: She was good at that stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's why I asked her to braid my hair on the ship. Yeah, yeah, for my birthday. Oh that's so cool.
Speaker 3: Yea, because your mom apparently was like me and was like, I have no idea how to do that.
Speaker 1: I don't how to do that, ask Janice.
Speaker 3: Ok yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: So Steph is very worried because the show is tomorrow. She doesn't know whether to curl her hips, wiggle her lips or what. And DJ has a test for her green belt tomorrow, so she needs help with her karate. Danny tells the girls not to panic because he is going to teach them. Apparently this makes sense because Elvis did karate. The girls look concerned rightfully so, and Danny breaks out in an Elvis singing karate warrior impression that.
Speaker 3: Was so peak bombed, awkward, gangly. It was, it's so amazing, so gangly. He like I was like, go, go, gadget limbs, Like I didn't you know what I mean. It was like as he threw an arm out, it like it was like, uh like the stretch armstrong. It just flung out and I was like, oh my god, I got longer and then it came back like it was hilarious and it reminded me.
Speaker 2: Do you remember the time. I don't know if you were in it with us, but we were shooting a promo. This was like later seasons, I think season seven or eight. We're shooting a promo and it was we would shoot these you know, hey things for watching wkzy Z, Like you you have to go through like one hundred different stations and whatever. We were doing one, and it was like we were supposed to be dancing and so Bob, it was a long end of a long day. You have to do these at the end of like whatever you're shooting. So he starts dancing around and doing his little thing and just goes nuts, right and lays on the floor and kicks his leg, kicks his leg out, hits.
Speaker 3: Me in the head.
Speaker 6: No, no, he felt he Oh my god, it was but it was like the Jesus. It was just such a it was like, oh no, no, it was Bob.
Speaker 3: He felt. He was like, and you know, Bob like, oh, I'm so sorry. Later, oh my god, he was just obsessed with like, did he hurt you?
Speaker 1: Did he offend you?
Speaker 3: Call it my mom?
Speaker 2: Making sure my like it was you know, he felt so but it was I remember it now, And then watching him do all of that in this episode, I.
Speaker 1: Was like, yeah, brought back this memory.
Speaker 3: They're good. They go everywhere you don't know.
Speaker 2: You think you're safe, Yeah, you're without out a distance, and it just gets goes right out there.
Speaker 4: What and why are you always getting hit in the face? Little Richard smacked you in the face. Bob kicked you in the face, Like.
Speaker 3: Was it your height? I don't know, it's no.
Speaker 2: I think it's probably in part due to my spatial awareness or lack thereof. Maybe I'm just a little like just in the wrong place at the wrong time, or I'm not paying attention to what the other person is doing. And I'm stepping into as they're doing that or something. Oh, okay, it happened Brooke. My friend Brooke elbowed me in the face the other night at Madonna as he turned to me and said, I'm having so much fun and literally just just cracked me right in the face. And he was like, I'm gonna sit down now.
Speaker 1: Nothing has changed, not at all.
Speaker 3: No, nope, I love it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, Bob Bob flailing his arms and legs in every possible direction and the faces.
Speaker 5: It was so.
Speaker 3: It made me laugh so hard because it was just so Bob.
Speaker 1: It was so Bob. He looked like one of those inflatables outside a.
Speaker 3: Car wash, flailing inflatable arm guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, because he looked about that tall too, because the limbs are so long and yeah yeah. So yeah. The girls aren't impressed, but the audience cheers very loudly for this performance.
Speaker 4: Steph is confused that was Elvis. Danny says yes, and DJ needs clarification.
Speaker 1: Pressley right. So next we are in Stephan DJ's room while the girls get ready for bed.
Speaker 4: Danny hurts his back when he tries bending down. I'm relatable, relatable.
Speaker 3: Right, you do something stupid you throw your back out. I hate when that happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you're always you're always hurt like in our forties. You're always hurting yourself.
Speaker 4: Is never a good story like oh, I was climbing a mountain to rescue some something, you know. No, it's always like, oh, no, I was bending down to empty the dishwasher and I threw my.
Speaker 3: Back right and yeah, exact barrass I sneezed too hard and I and my neck was done for a week.
Speaker 4: So the uncles are finally home, greeting the family with excitement. Dj tells them Danny helped her with karate, and Steph mentions that he helped her with Elvis too. Jesse questions Presley, Danny strikes a signature Elvis move, and then WinCE is in pain again.
Speaker 3: What what other Elvis is are they? I'm Costello.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not a common name. It's the joke. The joke caster works. So joe haster work.
Speaker 4: Danny asks how work was, and Joey tells him the boss loved their ideas. Jesse announces they're gonna pitch their Hurry Mark commercial to the client and if it goes well, they may get full time jobs.
Speaker 3: Because that's how you. That's how you.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: See, if someone's worth hiring for a full time job is give them a project already.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 3: See if you can blow this up, and if you don't, you've got a job.
Speaker 1: It's a test. Yeah, it's a test.
Speaker 2: Like it's usually they're like, here's a job, and then if you blow it, you lose the job.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's a little backwards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have some questions about mister Mala Testa's hiring practices.
Speaker 3: But that's.
Speaker 1: He's a strange He's.
Speaker 3: He's a strange bird, is Yeah, he's.
Speaker 4: Definitely a strange bird. Danny tells them that's great. He asks the girls what they think, and DJ smiles, I think so, not seeming too convinced, and Steph smiles, I guess. Joey and Jesse tell the girls good night, and Danny follows them out and begins to compliment them on their achievement.
Speaker 1: You know, this is so amazing.
Speaker 4: When you guys first moved in here, you didn't even like each other, and now you might be working together full time. This is one of the happiest days of my life. He realizes what he just said and admits It's pretty sad, isn't it. Once they leave, Steph asks Dj if Jesse and Joey are really going to get a full time job, and DJ believes they will, considering how excited they were, and Steph wonders aloud, then who's gonna take care of us?
Speaker 1: No one?
Speaker 3: No one's taking care of me. You're home alone. Oh, there's going to be a movie about it, and it's gonna be great.
Speaker 1: Uh So we have a sad that takes us to a sad commercial break. Sure, sure.
Speaker 4: When we come back, we are back in the agency. Joey has his feet propped up on the desk at the agency and Jesse is guiding him through words of encouragement and concludes, any moment, our future is gonna come walking right through that door. Right then, in walks tiny little Michelle, saying hi people. Jesse runs to pick her up and asks where is Grandma. Irene strolls in and says she can't walk as fast as a two year old. She tells Jesse that she's dropping Michelle off, just like they agreed. Jesse hands Michelle over to Joey and asks Irene if she could please watch her for just a little longer. Irene tells him she can't and then gets distracted by the gorgeous office.
Speaker 1: She's very proud. She recalls a time when Jesse was just a little pumpkin running around in his diapers. He had the cutest little tushy and she reaches for his butt.
Speaker 4: She does this every time he gets a new job, and Jesse's scolds do not grab my tushy at work.
Speaker 1: And did you notice how John had his tie tied?
Speaker 5: That was.
Speaker 3: That was my first thing, was what is happening with his tie? It's not eighties around His national silliness was this?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was above his collar but still tied like a tide.
Speaker 3: It was an intentional choice.
Speaker 2: And it was a leather tie, by the way, a skinny leather that was worn outside of the I'm sure that some eighties MTV video made that super popular, and it was you know, like I don't know, flock of eagulls or something something, you.
Speaker 3: Know what I mean, like some just something.
Speaker 1: It must have been on trend.
Speaker 2: Robert Palmer, Now that was the yeah, I don't know anyway, something ridiculous.
Speaker 4: Well, if anyone listening has a picture of themselves with a tie like that from nineteen.
Speaker 2: Nine in the collar, but just chilling around your neck as though you missed the shirt.
Speaker 4: It looked like he hadn't gotten fully dressed, and I'm like, you're trying to impress he was.
Speaker 3: Covering a hickey. No, I don't know. I was just a stupid I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well with Jesse that would.
Speaker 3: Make sense, Like it was why put it as a choker right as and then have the shirt open?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was odd, you know, the desire to like things put the way that they're supposed to be.
Speaker 3: That was really that was.
Speaker 1: Hard for me. And then you're distracted for the rest of the scene just watching that.
Speaker 3: Just wanted to be like, can I think I can I just fix your tie? Can I just do this really really quick? Yeah?
Speaker 4: So Jesse quickly ushers Irene out of the door and notices from the doorway that the clients are coming. In an attempt to hide Michelle, Joey suggests that they play a little game of hide and seek. He guides her under the desk and hands her a cookie. Joey and Jesse grab each other and start to mentally prepare as mister Mellotesta opens the office door. Gladstone getsopolis, he says as he brings in Edna Foley, the vice president of marketing for Hurry Mart. Edna takes a seat on the couch and Jesse kicks off the pitch. He strums on the guitar, telling the story of a typical American family. Joey imitates each member of this pretend family they're portraying, called the Applebee's.
Speaker 3: Was this before or after the restaurant? I feel like it was before.
Speaker 1: Why would you name a family after a restaurant.
Speaker 3: I'm saying that I think they named the restaurant after this joke. No that's not true, that's not.
Speaker 1: This is the origin story.
Speaker 3: But I'm gonna rum with it in my imaginary fan fiction world that that the creator of that, whoever started Applebee's, was like, oh, the great American typical American fan the Applebee's.
Speaker 1: And that's yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, it all started all with this pitchka.
Speaker 3: This Joey and Jesse, Well it was it started.
Speaker 2: You know, Applebe's originally started as a Hurry Mart and uh and then it it progressed so it.
Speaker 1: Expanded into food service.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, okay.
Speaker 1: Jesse switches to the banjo to tell the story of the old General Store.
Speaker 3: I guess if you can play guitar, you can play a banjo. I mean, I can't play either, but man I didn't. I was impressed.
Speaker 4: It's it's strumming an instrument you can. Yeah, okay, he's musically inclined.
Speaker 1: Okay, sure, why not.
Speaker 4: At the sound of the banjo, Michelle creeps out from under the desk. Joey notices and tries to signal her back into hiding. Jesse redirects Joey back to the presentation, but Michelle has now fully stood up from under the desk, prompting Jesse to run over with a presentation card to cover her, and he continues with the story. Jesse then picks up Michelle and we can see her feet dangling underneath the presentation card. He looks to Joey for some help. Edna looks confused and turns to face mister Malatesta.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd be like, I'm excuse me, are they Is that a toddler that they're hiding?
Speaker 5: Why?
Speaker 3: What is happening?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 1: And I'd say anything, I'd have questions.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I would be why Why are their legs dangling? Why are you hiding a small whose child?
Speaker 3: Is it right? We're right, like yeah, anyway, it's just why is she here? Yeah, it just seemed like it was really sort of like, oh, that's it happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was very sickcommy. That is a very sitcom right there. As Jesse continues, Michelle says from behind the card move. Edna questions the sound, and Jesse adds Michelle into the story card.
Speaker 3: It's it's nothing.
Speaker 5: It's nothing attention to what's happening behind the curtain, like well, you know, he's trying to think on his feet and he's like, oh, hey here right, this is this is a he's like a stray cow wanders by.
Speaker 3: It's hilarious, by the.
Speaker 1: Way, at the Hurry Mart, like this is this is hysterical.
Speaker 4: So Jesse and Joey end the pitch with their jingle Hurry Mart the Great American General Store. Edna tells mister mala Testa that she's not sure how the cow fits in, but she loves the concept. She seals the deal with mister Malitesta, and he informs the boys they'll be working for him full time.
Speaker 2: I mean just verbal agreements and handshakes, making deals all.
Speaker 1: Over the place.
Speaker 3: No, who needs a contract, he needs a contract? Who needs questions? Who needs to know where this child came from?
Speaker 1: Da?
Speaker 3: I love it, It's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: If I was mister Malatesta, I would be second guessing my decision, like wait, wait, these guys are hiding a child.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in office under a desk, I'd be like, yeah, I have I would certainly have questions. But again, you know, the boss is like, just concerned with the bottom line.
Speaker 1: Just this is that's true.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: So the boys now have a strategy meeting to get to So mister Malatesta states, you can put the stray cow back in her barn. Jesse hesitantly tells him that Michelle isn't a stray cow. He says, Joey and I have a baby. Their boss pauses for a second. Hey, your personal lives are none of my business. He exits, and Michelle says, dag nab it dag that nabbot dag.
Speaker 1: Nabbot was hilarious. She delivered. That's also because I can, I can.
Speaker 3: I also know that.
Speaker 2: Right before that was Adria saying on the other side of the camera, a ridiculous, dag nabbot, like totally over exaggerated in order to get them to do it, and that I can picture it in my head and that's it's fun and.
Speaker 1: Silly, totally.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Whatever you see, Michelle, do just know that Adria was doing it three times biggigger.
Speaker 3: Right on the other side of the camera. Yeah, and would be like and would just stop sometimes ago, Oh my god. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So next we're in the living room, Joey and Jesse toast a glass of champagne, making a sour face after the first sip. That's the last time I buy champagne and a can.
Speaker 1: Oh, Joey steaks got.
Speaker 2: Maybe they bought it from the hurry mart can the champagne and a six dollars loaf of bread, which may or.
Speaker 3: May not be a good deal. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what are I selling in this hurry moment? I'm not I'm not sure about this place. Danny walks in through the front door with a huge smile on his face. He tells them they missed a major banner Tanner Day. He introduces dj as a new Green belt holder, asking her to show the boys some of her moves. She gets embarrassed and waves her hand, saying hi yah hiya instead of hi yah, it's hiya.
Speaker 4: Danny introduces Steph as the Queen Bee of rock and roll. After she won her talent show, she struts in wearing a full blown Elvis costume. Wig included I.
Speaker 2: Did not remember this What I did not remember? I was like, I was as shocked as anyone. When I walked through, I was like, what in the wig is happening?
Speaker 1: It was glorious. When I say, I laughed for a full three minutes.
Speaker 2: I and then like trying to have like serious lines after that in an Elvis wig, I just it was I couldn't.
Speaker 3: Seriously, I couldn't. I couldn't.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 3: I was so I was like, how do I not I remember out of your mind this, you know?
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess maybe had they dressed me like Elvis and flowed me around the living room, it might have stuck a little bit more.
Speaker 3: But I did not remember my my Elvis costume.
Speaker 1: Oh it was. It was glorious.
Speaker 4: Even Michael, my boyfriend, who does not watch Full House, he was rolling at Oh it was so And you're so confident, like you're just like where You're like, yeah, I'm wearing this costume.
Speaker 1: What's the big deal? Like you're not even self conscious or like, you know, you were very confident.
Speaker 3: I probably was like, this looks awesome. I looked great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was probably very I loved wearing costume. I was probably very into the costume.
Speaker 3: And trip be told I'd wear that costume today. You should? Is what's a wig?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 3: I was looking at myself. I was like, oh, so that's what I look like with short black hair, you know.
Speaker 1: I was like, yeah, it was There's just not enough words in the English language to just describe the site to behold?
Speaker 3: And was it in like a small owl on the back of my jumpsuit instead of an eagle because you know, usually I thought it looked like a little owl or something, a little owl.
Speaker 1: I don't remember that it should have been a bee because wasn't this the honey Bee Town show?
Speaker 3: I could have could Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, if I'm sewing my own Elvis costume the night before, I definitely should have made bee out of it.
Speaker 3: What was I thinking?
Speaker 1: Yeah, missed opportunity. That's okay.
Speaker 4: So Stephanie says, thank you boys, I'm gonna buy every one of you a Cadillac. Jesse runs over to give her a kiss. Steph tells him that she was a hunka honka burn and love, and strikes.
Speaker 1: An Elvis pose with a yah, yeah, you're confident. You're just oozing confidence.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: You're selling it. I can't half ass a costume like that. No.
Speaker 3: I was like, look a minute, I'm going for it. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So Joey apologizes for missing the day, but Danny assures him that he got it all on tape. Jesse breaks their own good news and tells the family they landed full time jobs. DJ and Steph can't help but look disappointed. This wasn't quite the reaction the boys were looking for. They ask for hugs and some congratulations, but DJ says, how could you guys do this to us? With Steph adding we're going to be all alone?
Speaker 3: I couldn't take myself seriously with that line though, with the.
Speaker 1: Whig, right, you know, it's such a sad line delivery.
Speaker 3: Going to be all alone. I was like, you look ridiculous, right, I was. No one's taking you seriously. It was hilarious.
Speaker 1: Yes, they should have had you or Jesse take the take the wig off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then you know what my hair would have looked like underneath. You know, the wig never looks good when you take it right. Yeah, So, I mean, yeah, I actually liked that. Steph was just like I this is who I am right now.
Speaker 1: Now she's sad and sad.
Speaker 3: I mean, wouldn't be the first time. I mean maybe for Steph, but not for someone in an Elphis cost in true.
Speaker 4: So Danny jumps into a sure stuff in DJ, they will always be taken care of, reminding them how much their uncles love them. The guys mentioned they'll see them every day after work, on the weekends and on federal holidays. Stuph tells them that it won't be the same. They're gonna miss the whole rest of their lives. DJ and Steph walk over to give Jesse and Joey a big hug, telling them how much they'll miss them.
Speaker 1: Oh, the guilt, the guilt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but also like, somebody's got to pay the rent in his house mm hmm. Jesse's Yeah, an Joey's now got a gigantic basement apartment. He'd be paying three thousand dollars a month for that, So it's you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot of practical but I do.
Speaker 3: It's the heartbreak.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're definitely tunguing on the heart strings here, They're not really, they don't. The writing doesn't lend himself to talking about the practicality of having working parents who have to pay the rent and you gotta find childcare and a car.
Speaker 3: I would be really bummed though, if if I missed my kid dressed up like Elvis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, just for.
Speaker 3: The future pictures alone, I believe I really wish I was there for that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can start a slide show at your wedding of all the exact right childhood, all the embarrassing costumes. So next door in Joey's room, Joey is sitting down as Jesse Pace is behind him. Jesse begins to wonder if they didn't consider everything before taking this job. Joey has divided red and black checkers on the table as a visual for reasons to keep the job versus reasons to quit the job. Jesse points out one major black checker is we get a lot of great things out of raising these kids. I never thought i'd say this before, but I dig being mister mom. Joey adds, I never thought i'd say this, but you look smashing in an apron. Jesse lays a black checker on one side of the weight scale, saying it's one good reason not to take the job. Joey mentions how the job pays more money than they've ever seen, and he adds a red checker to one side of the scale.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they check.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh, very important.
Speaker 4: They add two more red checkers for being able to write entire campaigns and having an amazing office. Well, it looks like we're going to work, Jesse says. He starts to walk away, but then slowly turns around. He forgot about his music. If they take this job, there won't be any time to write or play gigs. He tells Joey to add a black checker. This makes Joey realize that he would have no time to work on his comedy. Another black checker is added.
Speaker 3: Jesse takes comedians never have day jobs. Ever, they don't. That's not a thing.
Speaker 1: Right, They support themselves.
Speaker 3: They solely on themselves, solely on their comedy. Yeah, that's most any comedian will tell you that. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Jesse takes a seat next to Joey and asks him to really think about this.
Speaker 1: Are we ready to give up our dreams for this. Neither one of them wants to give up their dream, but they've had more success in the last three months of advertising than all of those years in music and comedy. They add a rent checkeroo.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, really, it's difficult, it is.
Speaker 4: Joey tells Jesse how life is like a salad bar. You have all these great choices, but you can't help but think to yourself, how often are they changing those beats?
Speaker 1: Valid thought that was. It started off great. I'm like, oh, this is gonna be a good analogy, and then I was like, no, that's just Joey.
Speaker 2: I knew from the beginning. He was like, oh boy, yeah, where is this guy? It is a question that has crossed my mind.
Speaker 3: How often are they changing this beat?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I feel like all the soup plantations kind of went out of business.
Speaker 2: With Covid Plantation went out of business, although it apparently a new a new one has come back, and there was lines for Block. Really it was soup and Fresh, Sup and Fresh oh yeah yeah, and like all the diehard Sup Plantation people went because it's like a like an exact replica of the restaurant.
Speaker 1: Wow, my kids loved Sup plantation and he.
Speaker 2: Buffaced somewhere in Riverside, and there's soup and fresh and you can stand in line for three blocks for.
Speaker 1: Wow sup plantation.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm not that committed, but I'll send Felicity. She can drive down to all send Felicity, she can take herself soup and fresh. Danny walks down the stairs carrying Michelle. She wanted to say good night. Danny holds Michelle towards Joey so he can give her a kiss. He gets emotional and adds a black checker. Danny does the same for Jesse. He sighs and adds a black checker as well well. Danny insists he didn't bring Michelle downstairs to make them feel guilty. He leaves the room, and Jesse and Joey feel conflicted.
Speaker 1: So hard, so hard.
Speaker 3: And Michelle looked like a little ball of cotton candy.
Speaker 1: She was so cuy.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, she had some really cute dresses in this episode. So back at the ad agency, Joey and Jesse are waiting in their office as mister Malatesta comes in. Hey, boys, you wanted to see me about something. Joey admits they're having second thoughts. Jesse points out that their job is to come up with brilliant ideas, but it shouldn't matter where.
Speaker 1: They come up with these ideas.
Speaker 4: Mister Malitesta is confused and asks is this a trick question. Joey jumps in, saying it would solve a lot of their problems if they could work from home. Mister Malatesta begins to think and suggest he could hire them on a project by project basis.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is the Full House started work from home movement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would just like to say, yeah, and look where we are now, how many people are.
Speaker 3: Working And that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when it was such a foreign idea, people are like, what are you talking about? Jesse and Joey were like, look, I can be funny and do my work at home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so watch this.
Speaker 2: It's true now and now it's totally commonplace. All started right here on Full House, Ladies. Well, yeah, the Full House started a lot of mister Maltesta. Mister Malatesta here really was a pioneer in the work from house.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a great it's a great solution. They only need to come in for the pitches, but they can do all of.
Speaker 3: Their save your money on the office. Yeah, oh yeah, for sure, mister Mala Testa can take that lovely office.
Speaker 1: That felt like a boss's office. To be honest with that view that yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Was, Yeah, it's a great view.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 3: I was surprised. So yeay, he gets he gets an offer.
Speaker 4: Mister Malatesta decides, well, I guess it'd be best for everyone concerned if you guys got out of here to go home and go to work. He laughs and tells them he loves them.
Speaker 1: It's a deal.
Speaker 4: Just as mister Malatesta tries to exit the office, Danny yell's surprise while holding a bouquet of flowers as the girls stand behind him. Jesse starts the introductions and mister Malatesta interrupts, remember your personal lives are none of my business, Jesse or not, Jesse. Danny and the kids brought some plants for their new office, and Jesse tells them to pack them up because they'll be working from home. The girls erupt in cheers and hugs. Dj asks, did you guys quit your jobs for us? Jesse explains their arrangement of working at home. Steph looks at Danny. Daddy can you do your TV show at home, and he sadly tells her no, because the crew people would scuff up their floors and they would.
Speaker 3: Is before reality TV, Yeah for sure.
Speaker 4: Uh. Joey and Jesse bring everyone over to the balcony that connects to their office. They all walk outside to look at the view, and once the entire family is out there, Michelle slams the door shut. The family begs for her to open the door. She ignores them and climbs onto a chair, grabbing a magazine. And that is the show not so obvious missing panes of glass at all. So it was so totally not obvious that there was no glass glass.
Speaker 2: The best word is I start knocking, but I'm knocking on just the metal part. Oh funny, because there's no pain of glass.
Speaker 3: To knock on, And like now I'm like, why, just don't even draw attention to that, Like don't, But.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it was they can't have the panes of glass because of practice sticking our heads through the thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: It was well between that and the background, which is a beautiful view but obviously a very very fake back of.
Speaker 2: Some beautiful lithograph of It's a beautiful ancient tapestry that was hanging and stitched together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, bless the the set designers that painted that stuff.
Speaker 2: It looks they're beautiful. But yeah, now you can see it and you're like, that's nothing's moving. That's the strangest, flattest light I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: Thing is moving. There's no clouds, there's no like yeah this.
Speaker 2: Well, there's never clouds in San Francisco unless it's a particular episode about Carl the Fog. Yes, yes, Otherwise, clear blue skies like Eddie San Francisco.
Speaker 1: All the time.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: Oh man, So this wasn't my favorite episode, but that's okay.
Speaker 2: It well, it went a long way in explaining how three adults and three children can continue living in a house and eating food while also watching the kids and continuing up with the hijinks at home.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, so no, it's it's true. I wish they had I do wish they had talked a little bit more about like the practicalities of this, like yeah, we need we need jobs to pay for this home that you live in, or yeah, it's it's sort of.
Speaker 2: That lesson like to you know that like you know, sometimes it's sort of like I always telling my kids, like, there's the half twos and the want tos, right, and you you know you usually have.
Speaker 3: To take care of the half twos before you get to do the want too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was not really a discussion about that, and I love that just sort of as a throwaway line at the end when STEP's like, hey, can you do your thing at home?
Speaker 3: Danny says no because they'll scuff up the floors, and not everybody's job works like that. Let's go.
Speaker 2: Like it was just such a like it was just it was funny, like it was such a you know, yeah, don't go buy bugging your parents about working from home kids, because not everyone's job can do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, it's true, It's true. It was.
Speaker 2: It was. As I mentioned, there were tons of kids after this episode that went home. We're like, oh, Jesse and Joey work from home, Like, yeah, you work from home?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I wish it was a little too clean or tidy of a of a solution. I mean it was great, but like they I wish they'd gone over different options like working parents do, Like how do you get your kids to and from school? Do you have to do a carpool, right, you know, who's going to babysit the kids, who's going to help with their homework? Like, there's a lot of practical things, not just this emotional guilt that working parents feel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's yeah exactly. I think that it felt kind of like the only option was like do they care about the kids or not? And it's like, well, that's not the that's not the choice. Really, that's not I mean, that's not even the question.
Speaker 3: Is.
Speaker 2: The question is like how how can I take care of them and get them where they need to be while also providing food?
Speaker 4: And yeah, it's not so black and white. There's a lot of nuance, right, and there's deception.
Speaker 2: Well right, I'm I'm going to venture to say that nuance was not something that was able to fit in twenty two minutes of six.
Speaker 3: True.
Speaker 2: Very true, although h terribly misogynistic jokes were so there's always that you yeah, I know I was a little I know I was, but you know what, let's that's how far. I'd like to think that we've sort of come now in the realization that like all of the jokes about like being mister mom or working mom or like you know that they flag now was like, that's so unrealistic. Every you know, it's working parents like, but you know, so, I will say in that regard, I'm it's nice that we even notice a like, oh my god, you wouldn't even think like that really.
Speaker 3: Did, or most of us wouldn't. But it's just a nice little window back into the eighties.
Speaker 1: Yeah to go.
Speaker 2: And I will say one of the things that I wrote down was I love Irene because there's the line that she says when she drops Michelle off and Jesse says, can't you watch her for another couple hours?
Speaker 3: Her response is, no, I've got to go to school.
Speaker 1: Good for her, Good for her?
Speaker 2: And I was like, yes, Irene having boundaries with these men who are like Irena, she's the only one, the only one. Yeah. She's like, look, I'm you stop it, you, I'm done, And she was like, no, I gotta go to school.
Speaker 3: And I literally wrote down, I love Irene.
Speaker 4: I love her, Yeah because she I love her character. I love the actress, like she's just such a force and she's fantastic.
Speaker 3: She was yeah, did you uh did you have any everywhere you look moment?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yes, oh yes, I do. I have one I did do it. I wonder if we have the same one.
Speaker 3: I think, when did you when? When did yours have a teaser? Did yours mind too?
Speaker 1: Oh? Do we have the same one?
Speaker 3: Teaser? I think we have the same But that's okay. That's that means that's we're that's that's yeah, that means we're both.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: So in the in the teaser scene, during the last few moments, when Michelle is walking in her roller skates, the camera pans back and you can see the edge of the set and then the stage the stage.
Speaker 1: Walls right behind it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, And I was wondering too. I was like, why did we have Why did the shot have to be that white? But like, you know, what the what the balloon? I don't know how I did that.
Speaker 1: I was very excited about this. This everywhere you look.
Speaker 2: I guess apparently they were like balloons. Yeah, no, it was so I was like, why do we have to see that much of the set in order to get but who knows?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the things you.
Speaker 2: Can do now where you can like you're like, oh, we could just digitally punch it in and cut that out so you don't see like that wasn't it.
Speaker 3: You were like, well, it's there, that's what we're doing.
Speaker 4: So I love about eighties and nineties sitcoms is that these these things they don't.
Speaker 1: Care shadows everywhere, attention.
Speaker 3: To detail in these shows. Yoh yeah, it was like just whatever, slap together, people will be fine. Uh yeah, it's definite.
Speaker 2: But that was my everywhere you look too was well at the end we see off off the stage behind Michelle.
Speaker 1: I did have one other, but that's kind of our first.
Speaker 3: Uh have we seen any other like goofs like that shots with the with the with the like caught the edge like that of the sand not.
Speaker 4: There was only like at the wake Up San Francisco set, but that was intentional. They wanted to show that they were supposed to.
Speaker 3: Be part of the set.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Now I feel like this was kind of the first.
Speaker 1: Uh oh, I think so too.
Speaker 5: What is that?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: My other one, and this is not a huge one, but I love how in the the guy's office at the ad agency there's this.
Speaker 1: Clunky, small, clunky computer, but it's not on the desk.
Speaker 4: It's like in the back off to the side by a potted plant, on just a random table. And I'm like, today you would have a massive computer screen and the computer would be right on your desk, front and center.
Speaker 2: Well, and everyone would have one, like you know, it wouldn't be one office computer. Yeah that you know with the green flashing MS dows thing or you know that you could play Oregon Trail on.
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean that was like it was Yeah, it was wild. I actually said in.
Speaker 2: Here too, I said, oh, this office is dripping in eightieses, like the glass tile block behind the thing, and the paint colors, the wall art behind Jesse and Joey in that first scene is so it's just so eighties Amy vice as, Oh my gosh, it was great, like late eighties, early nineties bad.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 3: I don't even know what you would call it, Like it was just that weird like eighties post modern sort of.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what they were imagining a future, like a real professional office it's going to look like, right.
Speaker 3: I guess, I don't know. It was just but it was like it was just very eighties, eighties. I appreciated that.
Speaker 1: I just can't get enough of these bad eighties things. So good, it's so good. I love it. Oh, well, that's the quietest we've been in an hour. Fifteen.
Speaker 2: Well, I was because I was thinking and then for once I wasn't thinking and talking at the same time.
Speaker 1: You're getting ready for your outrosing, You're you're preparing mentally for your outro, so you have to take a beat. Yeah, get your brain, put.
Speaker 3: It on, got it the right way. I'm all this time, I'm I'm ready. Okay, we'll see you this time. I'm ready.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: But thank you so much for joining us for this week's episode of How Rude.
Speaker 2: Tannerto's We have truly enjoyed going over this with you, and next episode is season two, episode fourteen, Little Shop of Sweaters.
Speaker 3: Oh that's oh.
Speaker 2: I love this episode, which aired February tenth, nineteen eighty nine, So that will be our next episode that we're coming up with our next recap episode anyway, and if you want to follow our Instagram, we are at how Rude Podcast. You can also email us at how rudpodcast at gmail dot com and make sure wherever you're listening to the podcast that you are liking and subscribing so that way you can make sure and get all the episodes as soon as they drop. We will see you next time. Amazing fan Ritos and here we go. Remember the world is small.
Speaker 3: But the house is full.
Speaker 1: Nailed it. You finally got it read it correctly this time. Thank you to the fan that gave you that bracelet.
Speaker 2: I can't tell you how many comments I get about the people that were like, you can't even read it.
Speaker 3: I was like, it's upside down.