Speaker 1: This is Patriots Playbook. Is my turn to talk now. He's your host of Patriots Playbook, John Rook bad as select.
Speaker 2: Yeah, baby, we welcome you into the playbook. It's my microphone on Matt. Okay, good. I just want to make sure having a hard time hearing we're in the new studio here. Oh there it goes. Hey look at this. This is pretty in here. Huh wow. I'm really impressed by this. You did a good job, built it all myself. I was about to say, did you build this all by yourself?
Speaker 1: This is mystic engineers, the.
Speaker 2: Mystic engineer or should we give them credit? That mystic engineer?
Speaker 1: I think they did a great job.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, good, Yeah. So if you're watching the stream on Patriots dot com, then you can see that we've actually got some new digs in here. Uh and uh, it's interesting. We're kind of squeezed into one corner around the studio and the lights are pretty damn bright. That's all I can tell you right now. But it's all good. We have to work out all the bugs in here, right and I'm sure we will. But who complained first? Was it Fred or was it Paul? It was Paul?
Speaker 1: Right, didn't want the chairs, wanted the desk.
Speaker 2: Wanted the desk.
Speaker 3: Okay, he's got used to the chairs by now, Okay.
Speaker 2: All right, okay. I kind of liked the desk a little lower than the old desk though, you know, because I always felt like I was getting up in my high chair.
Speaker 3: Well that was you know, for old listeners. The old desk was so high for Andy to feel tall.
Speaker 2: That's why they built it like that, right, because Andy's high chair. Yeah, high chair, got it. Okay, I got it. So anyway, pretty cool stuff in here. We welcome into the playbook. It's our training Camp edition. Today is the first day of NFL training Camp, which is really cool. So we're glad that the schedule worked out that we could be able to do the show today on the day one of training camp. We're gonna get to a lot of different stuff. You''re streaming at home and you're probably figuring out, Hey, I got some nice looking young people in the studio with me, and we mentioned this last month. We'll mention it again here. But our July show is traditionally part of our sports broadcasting pre college program at Dean College. And I have sixteen want to be Kevin Harlan's, Mark Jones's, I don't know at a Brooks. You don't know John Brooks. No, no, no, they don't want they want to They want to make more money than John Rook. Trust me on that one, right, Aaron Andrews is right. People like that. Okay, so that's kind of where we are with that. But I'll introduce everybody here in just a moment. But the idea of the show today because these guys covered camp today, all right, So everybody covered camp. Everybody had a specific assignment in order to be able to cover camp today. And so they're going to bring you their thoughts, their research, their opinions, and we want you to also join the show. So somebody says something you agree with, don't agree with, want to argue with, get into a little fisticuffs with. All right, Well you'll have to do with Chase over here first. And Chase is a football player, so he'll probably you know, you know, I don't know, you leg whip them, what would you do? Bench press them? What would you tackle them? Okay? I like that one. That one works. But you're welcome to that eight five five pats five hundred. The toll free telebe number eight five five p A T S five hundred. You can also get ahold of us on the program the regular ways that we always have open web radio at Patriots dot com. The email address you can hit up my X address at JR Broadcaster on X and you can also hit my Facebook page a John dot rook if you want to do that and file your questions that way. All right, so let me introduce everybody here from left my left to right so you can understand who's yapping at you today. Chase Stevens is actually going to be an incoming freshman at Dean College and we'll be on the football team. This false of Chase. Welcome. Appreciate you, thank you for being here, Thank you for having me. What do you think of our new studio?
Speaker 4: I think it is beautiful. Everything here is just amazing. You know that, the desks, the seats, Yeah, everything is here.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And you don't have to feel like you're getting up a high chair. So that's really good. I think we can all appreciate that.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: Daniel Piaseki Daniel is uh? Are you also coming into Are you a senior or you're going to be a freshman?
Speaker 6: So I'm going to my junior year.
Speaker 2: Junior year, yes, okay, and where you and where do you live?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 8: So I live in Randolph, Vermont, which is near the capital, Montpelier, about thirty five minutes south.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I didn't realize we're getting good geography. Listen. Okay, So, Daniel, thanks buddy, appreciate you.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: To my immediate right is Jack grossek that I pronounce it right, It's Grassic? Okay, I already screwed it up. Okay, Well that's okay, it's one today.
Speaker 3: Close are the mics everybody?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So Jack Grassic? Thank you? What year are you in school? Going into my senior year, going into your senior year? And you are from Rye, New York? Okay, right, New York? Are you a Jets fan? Giants fans fan Giants fan? Okay, I can almost accept that. I mean, it's it's I mean, there are a lot of Patriots fans that will hate the Giants forever because they ruined you know, seventeen and zero. But at the same time, you know, the Patriots have more championships than the Giants do, So I guess you have to look at the big picture.
Speaker 9: Right, Well, something happened in twenty ten.
Speaker 2: What happened in twenty ten? I don't know.
Speaker 9: It might have been Giants Patriots.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, well that's just one. That's just one. Although the Giants are undefeated against the Patriots in the Super Bowl. I guess we should mention that Adelina Auben is the young lady on our first panel here today, and she is a senior and goes to Mount Saint Charles Academy in one socket, Rhode Island. Right, yes, okay. And I mentioned Aaron Andrews because I think you said when we got started a couple of days ago, that that's the kind of job that you'd like to have. Is that still right?
Speaker 6: Yes, that's right.
Speaker 2: But tell tell me.
Speaker 10: Why I like being in front of a camera.
Speaker 11: I like sports. I think it's interesting you get to tell athlete story through recording and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that'll work. That would definitely work. She's good enough, good looking enough to be on camera, don't you think, guys? Yeah, absolutely, that helps. Okay, you can't be an ogre with big warts on your nose. That's not gonna work. No one wants to look at that. They don't want to look at me. I think this is the worst decision this program ever made by putting it, you know, the television stream on Patriot dot Com. But I didn't have any says so because Fred made me do it. So that's just kind of the way we roll here, all right. So I've got Adelina, I got Jack, I've got Daniel, I've got Chase.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 2: They're the first of four groups that will actually be with us here on the program today. We have four major topics of discussion that we're gonna get to today. And I mentioned this when I put the show out on social media earlier today, because right now, I mean, let me start this way. What were your overall impressions of day one at practice today? What you saw out there. We didn't see a whole lot of exact stuff. We saw a lot of drill work, right, We saw a lot of kind of going through the motions. I mean, there was a little bit of seven on seven, there was a little bit of eleven on eleven. There was no hitting because nobody had on full pads today and full pad practice isn't gonna start really for another week or so. So what were just your overall impressions of kind of taking it in Well.
Speaker 8: First, I want to say all the guys when we met him, they were very nice, too awesome. And then I felt like that there's lots of a competitive energy there also at the camp too. I could tell that many people are like gunning for some spots. And I think that there were good vibes all around, and I think that it will be I think it was a good start for the first AID training game.
Speaker 2: Good vibes all the way around. I guess we need to play a little beach boys in here. Good good vibe. Okay, Chase, what did you think day one?
Speaker 4: I think it proved a lot. I think Jalen Rieger is really a great wars for the Patriots. I saw him catch so much crazy passes by Drake May and Dreck Oversa. I feel like the whole receiver corps could really be great for this new Patriots team, new offense. I feel like the defense is really good. We saw some breakups in the passes, some d line rushing the pass or too. It looked really good. The old line looked really good too. I think it's gonna be a great season for the Patriots.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, that's a pretty thorough recap, I would agree with you as far as the receivers are concerned. I honestly, I'm excited to see some of those young guys, you know, I want to see you know, Polk especially uh since he torched Mialma Mater in the national semifinal last January. But that I'm hoping whoever ends up being the quarterback by mid season and beyond, if they end up, you know, going that route, I'm hoping that they find the go to answer out of the guys that they have on the roster. Jack, what did you think overall day one of practice?
Speaker 12: Uh, it's just similar to what Chase said about their receiving corps. I mean, Drake May had a few really nice connections, especially Osbourne and Javon Baker, throwing really deep sometimes he was just contest in the pocket, got out and made his pass and ran.
Speaker 2: Okay, Adelena, you want to add anything to that.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I kind of agree with.
Speaker 2: Whomever.
Speaker 11: Yeah, Daniel said, sorry everybody's name for a second. Daniel said, everyone was very nice when we were talking to them after when they were giving out signatures. They were all really extremely nice and they all seem to be in really good spirits after camp and stuff like that. So I think going into that having that attitude is really good for a starting point for them.
Speaker 2: It's probably not a surprise that, you know, they would have good attitudes going in. It's just day one. They haven't had to sweat. Basically, nobody's popped them in the mouth, no coaches really yelled at them yet. So, I mean, day one a camp, it is like day one a kindergarten as far as i'm p you know, it's, hey, let's everybody make nice and play. You know, blocks are over there, crayons are over there. I mean that's kind of how the first day at camp really goes. But we'll find out more once they put on the pads and things start popping, and that won't happen until probably next week, by around midweek next week, or I think day off next week is Wednesday, so probably by Thursday next week, another week, and then we'll see, you know, this get a little bit more physical, all right. So the question that we had for you guys, and to me, this is almost the number one question overall for the Patriots going into the new season, going into training cap this being day one today, and I know that This is front of mind for almost every fan that follows this team because other than having a new coach and coach Belichick moving on and Drod Mayo and his staff coming in new is the first time that there's been this kind of a changeover in the staff in more than twelve over twenty years. You know, there's another new quarterback that they hope that they will find a way to come in and be, you know, maybe even half as successful as a guy named Tom Brady was. So the first question of the day really has to do with the quarterbacks on this roster, but more specifically Brissett versus may at the quarterback position. And I just kind of like to know what you guys think, because I know we all know, and I think even the players know, and I think Jacoby Brissett knows. He knows when he was brought in here that the job maybe his right now. But they drafted Drake Maye for a reason. They drafted him to be the future of the franchise, the future face of the franchise, the future you know, TB twelve of the franchise, whatever you want to call it. So that's what they did, and I'm curious to know what you guys think. What the pros and the cons are of starting the rookie over the veteran at quarterback. What's good about it? What's bad about it? What should the Patriots do? Do you have an opinion one way or the other? Uh Drod Mail went out of his way when the team reported on Tuesday to say that Brissett was his starter. Brissette is his starter.
Speaker 11: So.
Speaker 2: We'll assume sometimes it's difficult when he assumes you gotta watch that, but will assume that the job is open for competition, right, and that you know, the rookie can work his way in. Or maybe I don't know. Am I leaving out? You know? You know Bailey's appy? Am I leaving out? You know? Joe Milton? I mean, I'm leaving these guys out of the competition here, although clearly one of them is going to stick simply because of the way the roster breaks down, and you can never have too many. So let's start with, you know, Brissett versus May and see how these other guys kind of fit in. What were your impressions of what you saw the two guys today atally? And I'll start with you.
Speaker 11: I would say that Prissette, I think he already knows that when they drafted May that he would probably be a leader to him, so he would kind of just follow in like the veteran. He's a veteran, so he's gonna guide him in the background of it and stuff like that. And I think them have Patriots having a very young receiver as their like receiver, that I think that starting a new quarterback can help them like grow, and that Brissette will help him as well.
Speaker 2: Okay with that, Okay, all right, but once you jump in on this, all right, Chase, go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what's called when when you put a young quarterback out there without any help you need Like look at Zach Wilson at the Jets. Yep, he didn't not have any help the first year. He just got thrown into there. That's why he didn't do that good. Second year when he tried, they got Aaron Rodgers, right, he got injured the first game, so he couldn't really really developed.
Speaker 2: We still don't know where Rodgers is going to go, right until we actually see him out there in the field.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, So we could have really developed Zach Wilson as good as he could have been That's that's why I feel like they should really just put in Jacob Bersett. Jacob said, for like the first half of the year. Let Drake May put in the next half of the year. See how good he could do with the Patriots in their new offense.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, Daniel, you want to jump in on this too and let me know what you think about. You know, the advantages of taking a guy like Drake May and throwing him in the fire early. Is there such a thing? Yeah?
Speaker 8: I mean, like, I mean, I kind of also wanted to add on to what Jay said about then giving May maybe some experience.
Speaker 6: To see what it's like, just.
Speaker 8: Uh maybe on the bench for a couple of games, just to see, I mean, because obviously NFL experience is like a lot different from college. So I think that him having a couple of games is to see what the defense is like, reading that maybe from the bench, seeming like on his tablet and stuff, and then with help from verseet and but then to answer you your question about what would be good about him maybe being thrown at the fire is I mean, remember what you were telling us about getting reps being announcer, him getting reps as quarterback in this level be I mean great.
Speaker 2: Yeah see. I to me, that's the key here because you know, and you guys know this. I've preached this over the last few days since you know, we started your camp experience, so to speak. But I just think, I mean, I learned to swim, guys, when I was five years old and the teacher threw me into the deep end of the pool. Yeah right, I mean I learned just you know, and he basically said swim, and so I had to learn to claw my way back up. I think there's something to be said for that. Now. Was he gonna let me drown? No, there's someone hovering over you, and so to me, Jacoby Brissette is the kind of guy who's hovering over. He's gonna catch the rookie if he starts drowning. And I think the coaching staff and do that obviously, Alex vand Peldic Ofvins according quarterback coach, he's going to do that if they see the rookie having trouble. But if you're going to expend the number three pick of the draft on a quarterback, you have to know that he's got to be your guy. You think enough of the player to take him that high. He has to be your guy. Why are we going to, you know, baby him. I'm of the opinion we need to see what he can do pretty quickly. Now. If we find out very quickly that he's over his head, we can make that adjustment. I also understand the other side of it, because you don't want to risk okay, and I guess this will probably be a familiar euphemism over the next you know, a few weeks and months. But we don't want to pull a mac Jones here. Okay, we don't want to, you know. Yeah, And we don't want to be able to ruin the guy, you know, and give him wrong direction. And I'm not sure May is that kind of guy. But let's face it, you know, the coaches really are to blame for you know, Mac Jones's experience here. I don't really blame Mack even though he's a different quarterback. And I know that we couldn't even be probably mentioning his name when we're on the show, But I'm doing it in reference because nobody wants Drake May to turn out similarly. I don't think he's going to number one. Let's remember that Drake May was selected higher in the draft relatively speaking to where mac Jones was taken, even though they were both still first rounders. Different set of circumstances, different head coach, different offensive coordinators, so it's a lot different. But to me, I think they know more than just I don't know more than just you know, throwing in seven and sevens and eleven, and we need to see some you know, when the pads pop. I want to see what he's doing. I want to see what he's capable of. Now. The entire issue with this also hinges I believe on the offensive line in front of him, whether or not they can you know, protect for you know, naturally for him. Anyway, Jack, I'm wondering if if what you see and what you studied on both of these guys going in, if you see anything other than Drake should start? What about Jacoby in particular? And do you go along with the kind of the thought process here bringing the rookie lung more slowly or would you like to see him thrown into the fire.
Speaker 9: Well, I feel like kind of exactly what you said about it's problematic. We don't want to have a mac Jones situation.
Speaker 12: I feel like this team shouldn't be rushing anybody like they rushed Mac Jones.
Speaker 9: And he can develop on the bench. I mean, this team isn't.
Speaker 12: Trying to win the Super Bowl this year, and they're probably not going to try and do that for next two three years maybe, So now is the time where you have a few years. Let's be patient, Let's let him develop on the bench. Then throw him out there, right and then have perseet for when something happens.
Speaker 2: What if we throw him out there, guys, and he fails miserably? I mean, what happens then? Because then you have no backtrack? Okay, now what do we do? Do you go back to Jacoby? You have to go back to the draft. Do you let your third quarterback, whoever wins that job, do you let them come in and take a shot at it? And we're really kind of right back to where we were a year ago and more, you know, two years ago even, And I'm just wondering if that really serves a purpose at all. What do you think?
Speaker 4: I feel like, if he fails, you got to give him more time to develop. That's the point of developed players, because like if they fail, you have that veteran leadership to get him better and better. You know, with Jacoby Brissett there, if he starts feeling, you can put Jacoby back in because he has that veteran experience, so he knows what it's like to like fail to be.
Speaker 2: In the back.
Speaker 4: So like he could teach him all about like what to do in the offense, what to do when it's pressure on you, how to throw it deep all that.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Ok, And just to add on to what Chase is saying, I think I think sometimes people try to just like focus on perfection. And then for an example, last year, you saw a rookie quarterback for the Text and c J.
Speaker 2: Stroud.
Speaker 8: He comes in as a rookie and he has an outstanding year in my opinion, But I think that like, not everyone's gonna have that as a rookie. You know, you kind of have to, like we've been saying, give time for them to ease into the situation because everyone's situation is different. So I think that when May also gets used to I mean like his receivers, his running backs, his linemen, uh, And I mean then also the defenses in college are a lot different than in the NFL. In the NFL, there's like tight like not as much space. So I think that when May gets used to that, I think it, I mean, will be good for him. And then also Brissette will definitely be helping him with breaths and stuff and just be NFL quarterback.
Speaker 2: How does this and then you know, anybody cance this, But how does this scenario as just playing out help or hurt the team? The guys that have to rally around whoever is under center, whoever is the quarterback, and whoever wins this battle? You know, are we you know? Is is Jacoby just babysitting the job until Drake you know, can get rid of the training pants and move up into it. How does that affect the team?
Speaker 4: I think it really it's really good for the team because Jacoby Satt is a really good quarterback.
Speaker 2: He saw by the coach a few years ago.
Speaker 4: Even at the Commanders last year he got him two times and he was really good. So I feel like, whoever route they want to go, I think it's a really good route. Drake May put him at a start. Jacob Brissett, you can start him. They're both good. Does it doesn't matter which.
Speaker 2: So it shouldn't matter all to the team. Anybody what anybody different that.
Speaker 11: With that, I feel like Brissette has more experience with game experience, but like the NFL, he just got mega out of college, so he's not really used to the game speed, or the defensive schemes or anything that goes on in the game. So I feel like you would have to sit the bench for a couple of games and have Brissette start before he jumps in and sees how the game is played and what he needs to do and learn those schemes and.
Speaker 2: Stuff like that. But let me ask you this. Let's say Drake comes in and just rips it apart for the rest of training camp here. You know, maybe he has a particularly good exhibition game you know that's coming up here, or you know, when the Eagles come in and they're expected to be a Super Bowl contender in the NFC this year, when they come in and they do the joint practice is in a couple of weeks and Drake shines, right, do you still think Jacoby should you know, start the first couple of games that count and continue to bring him along or do you try to ride some of the momentum that the rookie quarterback may have built up for himself and put him out there. I'm just curious how you guys feel, because to me, I'm always one that likes to play the hot hand. Yeah, you know, it's a baseball analogy. But look if the guy is four for his last six of the plate with three knocks, you know, I guess what, dude, you're in the lineup today. You're not taking a day off. That's how I kind of look at it. I want him in there and playing now. The other side of that is is that, well, okay, you're putting your star, You're putting your future hope at risk in a game that might be meaningless until the regular season starts, and then they're going to kind of you know, they'll start to count. So just kind of curious how you balance the two and is there a right way to handle this.
Speaker 11: I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: I don't think at least that's an honest answer. That's an honest answer.
Speaker 9: Well, I mean he hasn't played an NFL game yet.
Speaker 12: Yeah, so having the critique of oh, this these are reps, but these it's like he could also get injured. It's like, no, he needs the reps. You could say any game you would get injured.
Speaker 2: You know that's true. Okay, yeah, what are we missing here about this whole quarterback derby? This is whatever everybody wants to talk about. We know that. You know, hey, when we talked about this in our class yesterday, when I brought this topic up, you know, you guys are happy. The rest of the classes are like, oh, they got the quarterback because that's what everybody wants to talk about. I understand that. From a fans perspective, Yeah, sure, this is the future of this team. Everybody is so anxious to see, you know, Patriots fans anyway, the rest of the NFL is kind of like, oh, God, go away. But yeah, but I'm waiting for that moment, waiting for that moment when you know, media can say, hey, maybe the Patriots are back a little bit quicker than normal. What's the best way to get there? What I mean? You know, this is a it's a it's an overwhelming story. You clearly don't think it will harm the team one way or the other, because the team is going to be Hey, we'll be whoever's out there, We're going to rally around, which is a good, veteran way, an experienced way to look at it. I'm just I'm kind of fishing for for negatives here, for lack of a better phrase.
Speaker 8: I mean, I think that kind of what you were saying about what would make like capitalize like the playmakers on the roster, and I think that I mean, again, like we've said a lot, having like the veteran leadership for not just the quarterback situation, but with kJ Osborne who's been in the league for some time, and then with Polk and Baker, I think then he'll Polk and Baker will definitely learn from Osbourne.
Speaker 6: And then I think just.
Speaker 8: Having your playmakers like the new, like the new, the new guys on the team, having like a support system that will increase not just their skill but just like their mental approach of playing NFL football.
Speaker 2: Okay, anybody want to add to what Daniel said there? Good with that? I almost forgot Okay, I'm supposed to do this at the top of the show for good. Hey Patriots fans. If you want to see Toyota's best offers, including those not seen on TV, go to buy a Toyota dot com. It's Toyota's official website for deals from the official vehicle of the New England patriots, Toyota. Let's go places. You guys want to take a phone call? Yeah, okay, we want to do that. Eldred all right, Eldred's up first. Eldred's been sitting there. Oh, I got this control of myself. Look at this. The monitor is eight miles away from in here. Let me see if I can do this. Oh, you got him, you got him. I popped them on, Eldred. What's up man?
Speaker 14: Hey, mister legend, what's up?
Speaker 2: Baby?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 14: I see why we yeah, I see why we get along with both Campus July second.
Speaker 2: Okay, well then, happy belated to you too, bro.
Speaker 14: Yes sir, yes sir.
Speaker 2: Are we traveling today? Uh?
Speaker 14: No, I'm off today. I took a day off. Good for you, the batteries for a little bit.
Speaker 2: I got you, I got you. And plus it's day one of training camp, right right, okay, right.
Speaker 14: I wish I could have saw more, but I heard something from from the p U crew and this and that, and I'm just you know, I got my palm, palm ready, popcorn ready, crying towel.
Speaker 2: Ready to cry.
Speaker 14: Because crying tile too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you think it could? You think you could still be ugly? Then?
Speaker 14: Huh uh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 15: Uh.
Speaker 14: It's because it's new new players, new coaches, the first time the regimes done changed over. So you know, expectations ain't that high, but it's a little high, you know. So I just hope, just I just hope, you know, uh, just they got to suck a toughest schedule, so it's gonna be a little rough, you know. I just hope I can have my mom if I can laugh a little bit instead of being the better of the joke like I was last year.
Speaker 6: But other than that, okay, all right, I take that.
Speaker 2: What do you think of the question that that you know, our first team has to kind of discuss your today in the whole reset versus may derby a quarterback? I think I know which corner you fall in, but maybe you can sort of enlighten everybody here. If Drake is ready to play, should he?
Speaker 14: Yes, sir, uh he should. If he's ready to play, you should? You picked him three overall, and I'm like you and like, well, some of those guys I used to coach to not not professionally. So I went with the guy who was better, and I took my lump, and I also took my win, you know, so that's what you have to do. You're gonna take it either way it goes. Was it either rookie or the second year of quarterback or a three year quarterback? Because everybody gonna make mistakes, because everybody just see about just third team and everything. So but I started right off the back. You got him number three overall. Put him out there, bad line or no bad line, and see and see.
Speaker 2: All right, let's say again, just for argument's sake here, let's say that Jacoby Brissett is clearly the better of the two guys in training camp, and Drake is a little behind the eight ball. Maybe he's not picking it up as quickly, and I have seen nothing in day one that would indicate that would happen. But we didn't see a heck of a lot today. We saw little eleven and eleven, We saw little seven on seven right, guys seemed to be a bit okay. But he didn't get all of the reps. You know, I saw Jacoby Brissett with several reps. All four quarterbacks got reps today, So they did a pretty good job of I think splitting things relatively even. But let's just say for argument's sake that May is not better than Jacoby, then what do you do?
Speaker 14: I said him for a whole year. Okay, I'll go I ride with Jacoby, you know, and then May he's learning, you know, because I'm gonna be honest, I'm not into May Camp. I wasn't doing the draft procedure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember that, you know, I remember that.
Speaker 14: And like I tell everybody, I ain't from Missouri, but you got to show I see them two years in North Carolina and here he'll do some plays that well while the heck got again, and you you think, okay, this guy got it, he got it. Then you see some players like what the heck? You know, what was you thinking? You know? And it's just that he proved me prove otherwise. And this game is a little bit faster than college. And like I said, everybody keeps saying, well, you ain't. I'm giving them a chance. But I see him get better teams and better defense. And he bowled. He can't throw good in cold weather and in the rain, because like you said, he never been out North Carolina. With that rainy day in Clemson and with North uh, New Mexico, don't make whatever came and played him. They beat the devil line in the bad weather. He just wasn't act. He wasn't He wasn't there. I ad meant that he was twenty nineteen twenty or something like that. You know, he's twenty one now. He's the youngest of all the quarterbacks in the draft. And you know, he got a lot of upside. I give him that, but you got to put it on the field. You gotta put it on the field. And he started, and everybody keep knocking Milton, and I'm like, okay, maybe he's not what everybody think, but this team would ranked when one in the country. And he led him and he wild him to get good arm whatever, And I figured, if it comes down to it, it's gonna be May and Milton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh really that's standing. Okay, all right, all right, now you mentioned all right, so if if Jacoby struggles, I mean, excuse me, and May struggles, then you sit him for the whole year. What if all of a sudden he picks it up at mid season by week eight or week nine, or maybe even week eleven or twelve, and I guess you probably have to consider, all right, where the team is at the edge, right, where the team.
Speaker 14: At right okay, but they with Jakoby. If they were Jacoby and they like they say five and three or four and four, I'm gonna ride Chacoby for a couple more weeks, you know. But if they drop below that, they two and five or three and six, you know, I'm still I probably let him play the last two games, but I'm not gonna put him in the mixing between because that ain't gonna be a fair of evaluation. I'm sorry, I'm not because there's a reason why Jacoby is doing it. Either the line, or it's the receiver, or it's something. And now May got that running a so that Jakobe, but chakobeemed to be a be not as di maatic as made because May younger. But you know, but Chakobe can run also, and so Canmilton. But you know that's I would still have to sit for maybe the last two games the other seasons and play and then this year. Okay, May, it's your team from now.
Speaker 2: Anybody have anyth ded with, anybody, have any agreement disagreement with that.
Speaker 4: I disagree about him and Sam are gonna be the last two standing. I think Bailey Zappi really has a good, good chance of being getting away.
Speaker 14: No way. Tell me why you yeah.
Speaker 2: Tell me why you think Bailey Zabbit could stick?
Speaker 4: Like we saw him in training camp, he looked really good at training camp. All the throws he did were really accurate. Everything he did he was he was really smart with his decisions. And even last year he was pretty good when he summed him in for Mac Jones for like half of the season, he looked pretty good out there. I think he really has a shot at still being that number one quarterback for the New England Patriots.
Speaker 2: I would say probably not one. I would say probably not number one. I'm gonna side with Elderd on that one. However, there is there is a shot that he could stick with this team. My best guess though, is that he's going to have some value and that somebody who needs a veteran now veteran because he's a couple of years into the league now a backup quarterback, that's he could be cannon fodder for a trade bait somewhere.
Speaker 14: Connect that guy question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, okay, you're you're, you're.
Speaker 14: What you've seen is Zapi And there was a couple of games in games that he played last year, he's another version of mac Jones, you know, and then he fold Like I said, he's here, he'll do some wild plays. He do the other play. His arm is not that strong, he's not that accurate, and he sure ain't that mode. So what what do you What do you see that makes you think that was sick?
Speaker 2: All right, Chase, I don't see it yet. It go see.
Speaker 4: He was definitely not like mac Jones. First of all, Mac mac Jones. Some of the those I saw him throw were horrible, like.
Speaker 14: That did something too, Yeah.
Speaker 4: He did like the things the things that Max Jones said was disgusting. Right, But Bailey's appy, right, He's still he still could definitely definitely be the number one quarterback.
Speaker 14: Because like we saw you one quarterback, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Number one quarterback. Definitely definitely number one. All right, Hey, Eldrick Elder, Chase is a Giants fan, so that I'll give you a clue.
Speaker 14: Oh okay, so yeah, I got but he's doing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly. But I gotta give the Giant. I gotta give Giant fan a lot of credit today because he you know, he put his neutral hat on today and he went out, he studied football and watched these guys today, so I gotta give him some credit where credit is due. All right, guys, we're gonna get onto the next subject. Eldred, thank you, appreciate your time. As always, Pal, we're gonna talk more. We're gonna stand on the offensive set of the ball coming up in a moment. We're gonna talk more about the wide receiver battle, which is gonna have a little bit more well maybe a little more intrigue just because of sheer numbers involved here. We're not really talking about two guys, We're talking about a half a dozen or more. So we'll get onto the wide receivers coming up in just a moment. This program is brought to you by bud Light, Easy to drink, easy to enjoy. Bud Light, You guys can have any the official beer sponsor of the New England Patriots.
Speaker 16: Isn't it time to get exactly what you want?
Speaker 17: Welcome to Red Hot Deal Days from Verizon, where you get your pick of our best deals like My Plan, where you can pick the perse you want and save on everyone for limited time. Bring your own phones to a Verizon store and you can get My Plan for our best price ever. Get exactly what you want on your phone plan and only pay for what you need. Bring your phones to your Verizon store today and get my plan. These deals won't last. It's your Verizon.
Speaker 18: When someone accidentally threw away the school play costumes, oh No, replacements were shipped with FedEx and with picture proof of delivery, everyone could focus on the perfect opening night FedEx where now means next for residential delivery only.
Speaker 16: Isn't it time to get exactly what you want?
Speaker 17: Welcome to Red Hot Deal Days from Verizon, where you get your pick of our best deals like my plan, where you can pick the perks you want and save on everyone for limited time. Bring your own phones to a Verizon store and you can get my plan for our best price ever. Get exactly what you want on your phone plan and only pay for what you need.
Speaker 16: Bring your phone see you or.
Speaker 17: Verizon store today and get my plan. These deals won't last. It's your Verizon.
Speaker 18: When someone accidentally threw away the school play costumes, oh No, replacements were shipped with FedEx and with picture proof of delivery, everyone could focus on the perfect opening night FedEx where now meets next for residential delivery only.
Speaker 16: Isn't it time to get exactly what you want.
Speaker 17: Welcome to Red Hot Deal Days from Verizon, where you get your pick of our best deals like my Plan, where you can pick the perks you want and save on everyone for limited time. Bring your own phones to a Verizon store and you can get my plan for our best price ever. Get exactly what you want on your phone plan and only pay for what you need. Bring your phone see you or Start's Day and get my plan. These deals won't last. It's your Verizon.
Speaker 18: When someone accidentally threw away the school play costumes, oh No, replacements were shipped with FedEx and with picture proof of delivery, everyone could focus on the perfect opening night FedEx Where now it's next for residential delivery only.
Speaker 16: Isn't it time to get exactly what you want?
Speaker 17: Welcome to Red Hot Deal Days from Verizon, where you get your pick of our best deals like my plan, where you can pick the perks you want and save on everyone for limited time. Bring your own phones to a Verizon store and you can get my plan for our best price ever. Get exactly what you want on your phone plan and only pay for what you need. Bring your phone to your Verizon Start's Day and get my plan. These deals won't last, it's your verizon.
Speaker 18: When someone accidentally this.
Speaker 1: Is Patriots Playbook, the legend.
Speaker 2: Welcome back into the program. Here the Patriots Playbuckets, our Day one training camp edition. Here our July show. As we do Patriots Playbook monthly during the offseason for anybody that is uninitiated with the program. During the regular season, we are back to a weekly mode and we anticipate that happening right toward the end of August. Actually, I think that's what we decided, right matt Our next, our August show actually is going to come up. What day? Did we decide on August twenty eighth?
Speaker 3: Eight?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we may try to squeeze in one more on the twenty first of August, So we'll put that out over social media if the scheduling works out, because we thought about trying to do a show before the preseason had ended, and that would be right before the Washington Commanders game on the twenty fifth of August. So more on that probably in the coming weeks, but we'll definitely do a program on August twenty eighth to wrap up the preseason, and then we go into regular season mode the following Wednesday, on September fourth, in anticipation of the opener against the Cincinnati Bengals. So, and then we'll go weekly throughout the the twenty weeks or so during the course of the regular season. In the meantime, back here in the playbook, and we welcome in our second group of Dean College sports broadcasting students. I'll introduce Patrick Dacy. Did I pronounce you? Right? Yeah? You pronounce I'm good? All right? Patrick? What year you in school? And where are you from?
Speaker 3: I'm going into my senior year. I'm from Hopkinson, Massachusetts, Hopkinson.
Speaker 2: All right, so we have a local. Good. So is there any shot that you're a Patriots fan?
Speaker 10: Big Tom?
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, we'll say that's a step in the right direction. Dawson, Debari, it's over here to my right now. So, Dawson, I know you're actually going to be an incoming freshman at Dean this fall. Right, yep, what's your hometown.
Speaker 19: I'm from Swanscott, Massachusetts, Swampscott.
Speaker 2: Are you also a Patriot.
Speaker 20: Fans only since birth?
Speaker 2: I guess that means something? Then, Nick julinis or is it Jelinas? Would I say it right?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: That it right?
Speaker 20: Johnny?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 2: Okay, and you are what a junior in high school?
Speaker 6: Yes, I'm gonna be a you're in high school?
Speaker 2: Okay? And where are you from?
Speaker 5: I am from a lot of New Hampshire. So if you know New Hampshire Motor Speedway, same town.
Speaker 2: Right, okay? Yeah, we do know New Hampshire Motor Speedway. Noah, Laspina, Did I get it right?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 2: We did, okay.
Speaker 20: And your hometown is Wendham, New Hampshire.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I got two New Hampshire's and two Massachusetts New England rules on this one. Right. We picked this team, right, I think? Didn't we on Rhode Island? So let's go Yeah? Right, okay, I guess I count a little bit right.
Speaker 16: You've earned it with the Friars earned it.
Speaker 2: Well maybe, but I'm also mass see, I'm also a masshole, so that's right. In fact, I live in the same town that we have somebody on the line here that I wanted to bring onto the show. Let me hold, can I get it here? Yeah? Oh, I got it. There it is Josh is in Westport. Hey, Josh, how are you? Josh isn't there? Maybe Josh hung up because I think I think Adelina said she knew a Josh in Westport. Okay, well, Josh, you want to call back, you can. We'll leave it at that, all right, So we're gonna move on to topic number two today. We've kind of spent some time with the quarterbacks. But I mentioned before we took the break that offensively speaking, the other real focus on this team is at wide receiver. You know, I for one, am not really sold on labels for wide receivers. Oh god, how can the Patriots play? They don't have a one, you know, And who's gonna be the two, And who's gonna play the slot, and who's gonna be the tight end? And who guys? I mean, honestly, catch the ball, run with the ball, score touchdowns with the ball. That's what we need here. Now. Whether or not that makes you a one or a seven, I don't really care one way or the other. I'm kind of curious what your overall viewpoint is of the wide receiver corps as it presently consists. Now we know that there are more guys on this team right now in the ninety man roster than are gonna stick it on this team, and we all get all the way down to fifty three in another month or so right, So, well, what's your overall impression of where the roster is now? And I think we also realize, of course that well, the question I had for you today was who's likely to play on this team and who's likely to go? Which wide receivers stick and which ones move on? All right, Dawson, do you want to start?
Speaker 10: Sure?
Speaker 19: I think on the ninety minter roster right now, you really only have four guys that are completely locked in to a roster spot. Obviously Kendrick Bourne dealing with the ACL injury, but once he's ready, he's going to play. Obviously, the two rookies that you spent high draft picks on you want them to play, so I'm sure that they'll be locked on the roster. And the other one is to Mario Douglas, who was the leading receiver last year, albeit it was only five hundred and something yards. Ye, but you're looking to see him develop more in a slot role and not having to carry the outside role for this team this year.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, remind you phone lines are still open eight five to five Pats five hundred, toll free eight five to five Pats web Radio at Patriots dot com if you want to hit us up on email. You can find me on Twitter slash x at JR Broadcaster. We monitor that feed. If you want to ask a question on Twitter, you can do that, or you can post on my Facebook page. All right, let's see Nick. I know you're jumping at the bit to go, so take that one as well. What do you think?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so what Dawson said, I love that, you know, Jalen Polk, Javon Baker, those two rookies I think are gonna be big, and we saw them today in training camp Day one. I really liked what I was seeing from them, and also Tomorrio Douglas. Now, my hope with these three is that they're going to develop with Drake May and I think that these three could be kind of this is a big statement, but I think they could be the big three for the Patriots.
Speaker 2: Really, okay, And the fact that they have a chance to kind of grow together from a young age, that's.
Speaker 6: Helpful, I believe.
Speaker 5: So I think that getting those reps with Drake May, especially we saw it today, I think that's gonna help them.
Speaker 2: What did you see maybe that you didn't expect to see from any of those guys today? Did you see anything, notice anything.
Speaker 6: I noticed.
Speaker 5: Jalen Polk actually at the beginning was taking punt returns. I saw that. I was not expecting that. So that was kind of a shock to me.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, Noah, what do you think?
Speaker 6: What overall?
Speaker 2: You know, how does this group sort of rate who's likely to stay, who's likely to go?
Speaker 21: Going into this, I was skeptical of two players. That was Jalen Rager and uh sorry uh Jalen Raeger and Juju smith Schuster. Two of these guys really struggled. Now, I think that Juju smith Shuster has a big chance of getting cut, mainly because of that big contract that three years, twenty five million they gave him. Now he hasn't lived, he hasn't played up to that contract yet. Yeah, two years left, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's not on the roster. However, he could make it because because they need they need the receivers obviously, and I know that Kendrick Bourne, he in my opinion, is the most locked receiver.
Speaker 20: The other receiver that.
Speaker 2: But Kendrick Bourne is also recovering from mayr knee surgery. Yeah, so if you need a veteran presence in that lineup. Is that the only is that the way Juju hangs around? Yeah, especially if if uh, you know, Kendrick can't play at least right away.
Speaker 20: Yeah.
Speaker 21: And the other person I was skeptical on was Jalen Rager. See, I think he will make the roster as a kick returner. He had some very good kick returning plays, but I was skeptical, skeptical of him because of his playing style. He wasn't very good. However, today in training camp, he may be impressed. Big throw by Drake May and it was caught by him one hand. He reached out like that and he grabbed it next throat.
Speaker 20: It was. It was like a fire route.
Speaker 21: He beat, he beat the corner. Another big catch by him, caught it in right this and.
Speaker 20: He got the touchdown.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was. It was probably maybe the single best play of the entire absolutely practice today. Right, all right, Patrick, what are your thoughts?
Speaker 3: Well, just a piggyback off what Noah said. I think that a reason Juju could stick around is really two reasons for me, right, So one of them is if they do cut Juju, there is a lot of dead money that comes with him, and the Pats have to pay that off, so it wouldn't really help them in that regard. Right Also, I think it was mentioned before that Juju is a veteran guy and he does have some leadership in the locker room. The Pats wide receivers right now, it's a pretty young group.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: You got Javon Baker, you got Polk, you got even like Pop Doug. They're all pretty young guys. And Juju is someone who is coming off a tough year, definitely a down year for him, but he has had success in the past and maybe you give him another shot to do that. So I say, if the roster was to be cut down today, he'd make it for those reasons. But at the end of the day, I think it comes down to production and how these guys will produce in the preseason. And I think that last one or two spots is really between Juju, Jalen Rager, Taekwon Thornton, and Kaishan BOUDI to get that some of those final Cats, can.
Speaker 6: You say that real quick?
Speaker 22: Ye?
Speaker 2: Of course?
Speaker 5: So we talked a bit about Juju. So Juju four hundred and sixty one offensive snaps last season on forty seven targets just twenty nine receptions. But my question for you guys is was the QB situation part of that number?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do have Yeah, I think I think that's actually a fair question to ask. You're not getting production with me quarterback, You're not getting production receivers and vice versa.
Speaker 19: Right, Yeah, I agree with that. I think it will be helpful to have. It seems like a veteran guide at Kobe Brissett's starting to start the year, at least because Bailey Zappi and Mac Jones were completely lost last year. The receivers were twenty ninth overall in PFF grade in creating separation, but the throwers weren't there for.
Speaker 20: Them to catch at the same time.
Speaker 19: So I think the new quarterback, the new offensive coordinator, we'll just have to wait and see how training camp goes. I think it's a huge training camp for some of these guys like Taekwon Thoron and Kashan Boody who haven't shown much in their young careers. And Booty had some legal issues and he didn't he kind of butt his heads a little bit last year with Belichick, So we'll see what Geron Mayo, Alex van Pelt what they can do to get these guys producing, and I think that'll have a big factor on how they decide the roster.
Speaker 2: The one guy that is a real enigma to me is Taekwon Thornton. All right, here's a guy that I watched him play at Baylor and I thought, Wow, he's got a lot of speed. But man, as he's skinny, you know, he's he's kind of slight. He reminded me a little bit of me when I was at age. If I turned sideways, I disappeared, you know, that kind of thing. But I didn't have the near kind of speed he's. He's, like I said, he's a big question mark. We don't know right now. He doesn't seem to be able to stay healthy enough to be able to benefit this team. I know they want to give him the benefit of the doubt because he was a higher, you know, draft pick, But it's got to be put up or shut up time with him right now, don't you think? Yeah? Definitely.
Speaker 19: I mean, he just hasn't stayed on the field. He's shown flashes. He had that two touchdown game against the Browns with Zappi in twenty twenty two, But I mean, the best quality is availability, and he just hasn't been available for them, and when he's there, he's been a complete non factor. So it's a big camp for Taegwon Thorton.
Speaker 21: Yeah, so you guys thought that Pop Douglas was gonna be on the roster at the start of season.
Speaker 20: What do you guys think?
Speaker 21: I'm pretty sure he did not play a snap in that eleven b Lemmer seventy seven.
Speaker 20: Today we guys think of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was that was definitely interesting. I'm not really sure why that was. Maybe he's just resting for whatever reason that may be. But I just think that maybe the team wants to see more some of those bubble guys and what they can do. Because to Mario Douglass at this point, he's a lock. You know, he's probably if Kendrick Bourne isn't ready to go we one, he's probably their you know, top receiver there, and they want to see what guys behind him can have a big role, you know, even the guys that probably will make the roster, like can Polk step up as a rookie, Can you know, somebody like kJ Osborne who they got from Minnesota step up and play a big role there and even some of these bubble guys like, could you know Juju get back and have a bounce back year? Could Kaysehan Boody show you something, could Thwarton show you somethings? Maybe they just wanted to see that more.
Speaker 21: Yeah, they really put Jawen Polk to the test today. They put him against Christian Gonzales.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I saw that. It was a good matchup.
Speaker 10: Wasn't it very good?
Speaker 19: He won his route, but I think it was a Joe Milton at the time missed him.
Speaker 3: Uh he beat it.
Speaker 19: I think it was a curl route on Gonzalez and the throw is a little bit too high. But yeah, I'm excited for these two rookies. They have great upside, but you never know if Patriots recent draft history with receivers, you just want to see them on the field and show that they are an NFL level talent because like guys like Nikhil Harry, I guess you can put Taekwon Thorn in that conversation. Now that they've drafted and used high draft picks, have struggled to just prove that they are NFL worthy and they just don't have They have so many guys that are just complete question marks.
Speaker 5: Now, I know you guys talked a bit about Taekwon Thornton and how he's just not been able to get on the field, and just kind of approve that the last two NFL seasons he started the season on the ir list. Yep, so injuries during camp, so really he needs to stay healthy this camp.
Speaker 2: You got to be able to have a chance. Yeah, you got to play right, You gotta play all right. To other guys, I want to ask you about, first of all, Kayshaun Boody. All right, here's a guy that you know, a lot of fans thought this team stole in the draft a year ago, and he you know, for you know, he had a hard time getting on the field his first year. Now that he's overcome, we at least hope that he's overcome all of his off field issues and available to play. How much rope do they give this guy to play with? How much of a chance do they give him but to be you know, in that top five or six that's gonna end up making this team.
Speaker 20: I'm not sure sure about that.
Speaker 21: I saw two different sections there was it looked like there was first team on the right side and there was second team on the left I spotted I spotted Booty jack Wade Jackson, and Javon Baker there. And on the right side, I saw thor In, I saw Pop Douglass there and yeah, just like the starters. So I'm not sure if Boody has a chance at the top six.
Speaker 2: So you think he's already been relegated, Yeah, I.
Speaker 6: Think he has a small leash.
Speaker 5: I think they really have to see this training camp what he can do and he has to show up also.
Speaker 3: To add to that, I do agree with you. I think he does have a small leash, and he has kind of had some off the field issues, But honestly, in terms of talent and potential, I think he has as much of any of these guys. I mean, like he just has to go out there and perform and put that stuff behind him. I mean, if you're really looking at it, Ragers a good return guy, but in the NFL, he hasn't really been a polished wide receiver, right Taekwon Thornton too. The production just hasn't been there, you know. And then Juju's coming off some injuries.
Speaker 10: He's coming off a tough year.
Speaker 3: So realistically, if if Kaishan Budi goes out there in the preseason and puts together some great performances. I think he does have a really good shot of making it.
Speaker 2: But the borderline guys on this roster at receiver, all these guys that we've been talking about that are if he making them the roster, the ones that can display versatility and maybe do more than one thing. Those are the guys that are gonna stick with, whether it's kick return or you know whatever it may be, played the slot as opposed to the ex or they they're gonna or the z they're they're they're gonna, they're gonna want you over someone who's just single minded in his duties without a doubt. That's why a guy like Reager to me is a lock, is an absolute lock, because they'll likely you know, utilize him in returns.
Speaker 19: Yeah, agree with Raeger for sure. He was a kick return, punt returned, he was on field goal kickoff. He showed his special teams versatility and that's why he stuck around last year when a lot of people were just questioning why anyone would want to pick him up after his first few years.
Speaker 7: In the league.
Speaker 19: But return game wise, I wonder with Marcus Jones healthy, who they're going to go to for punt kick return, which is probably one of the reasons that Rager could be on that bubble, even though he showed his versatility last year.
Speaker 2: Anybody else want to tackle that? All right? So if that's Key Shambudi? How about now his name has escaped me. We were just talking about him. Juju helped me out. Do you known?
Speaker 14: No?
Speaker 2: Not Osborne Baker Baker?
Speaker 5: Uh So the one thing that kind of worries me about Javon Now, he's really really good. We saw today he was making catches, but he did drop one, and that's kind of thing with him. We've seen he likes to body catch and he kind of loses focus and when even when it's a routine catch. As a result, he had fifteen drops over four seasons in college, including a ten point three percent drop rate last season. He had six drops total last season, So could that play a factor?
Speaker 2: I think it definitely was absolutely absolutely drop.
Speaker 6: Rate last year.
Speaker 23: Yeah, Yeah, there's some improvement to do there, I will add, though, I'm pretty sure with Baker he had some big drop problems, but he definitely improved as the season went on for UCF so I think he's.
Speaker 3: Definitely somebody that could overcome some of those problems, because end of the day, I mean, Javon Baker is really something this offense could use, and that's a big time deep threat which they've been missing for years.
Speaker 19: Honestly, I think one downside I saw today is doing some homework on Alex van Peut, the new offensive coordinator. He's a very run heavy and and play action pass guy. And from everything that I've read on Javon Baker, his outside blocking, he's not interested in it. So that could play a factor into him losing some snaps because he hasn't shown his willingness to block in college. But I think he has upside as a very good deep threat later as his career goes on. It's just he needs to show a willingness to block on run plays and he needs to clean up his drops.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you guys, some what in your mind is the definition of a number one receiver. You know, we opened up today talking about you know, I don't really have a designation between one or a six, or a five or an X or a Y. You know, to me catch the damn ball. But is there should there be a definite one, and what kind of trait should a one have?
Speaker 21: See a number there's there are like clear teams with the number one. You see the Dolphins, Tyreek, Hial Vikings, justin Jefferson. But when you're in a situation like you know, the Bills, I'm not sure who there are one's gonna be. He could be Keyan Coleman, I'm not sure, but the Patriots I'm not sure either. What if Kendrick's not ready, Kendrick's not ready for number one, I'm not sure who's gonna be that No more, but add on to you.
Speaker 2: I'm not even sure he'd be the one.
Speaker 21: I who was healthy really, but even if he's, even if he's if he's not ready, just catch the ball.
Speaker 20: That's how they're going to decide.
Speaker 5: I really think the Patriots don't have like one standout wide receiver. I think we have a lot of versatility in our players, but we just don't have that one player that just stands out him on the rest. I mean, of course, Tomorrow Douglass very good on like short routes, or he's super quick so he can run the ball to But I just don't think we have that one player that stands out.
Speaker 19: There's no there's no guy that's just a dude, Like they just have that alpha mentality, Like Justin Jefferson came into the league, broke every rookie record, was talking his stuff in postgame, and there's nobody on the Patriots that can really go out and be that guy like Johan Baker. I know post draft is like I make people in wheelchair stand up, which I like. I like that kind of stuff, having confidence and like, but just his building.
Speaker 2: Should should we go get Brandon Ayuk?
Speaker 19: That would that would be a big for sure, And that's I'm of the opinion room.
Speaker 2: I'm of the opinion. Yeah, sure it'd be great. But I don't think they need to give up a one for the guy. I'm not. I'm holding on to the one. I don't care what you say, because this team is liable to have a really good draft pick again next year. Now, if the rumors and the and the reported stories are true that Patriots and Elliott Wolf offered you know, a high two h and we're gonna tell you that they pay him the twenty eight million or whatever it was that he was originally looking for, I'm like, wow, and the forty nine ers didn't take that offer.
Speaker 20: See that's the problem twenty eight million.
Speaker 2: Well, it's it's big money, but the man, the man is definitely gonna step up and be what you want him to be.
Speaker 20: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: Can I add something though, Ye? Yeah, I think that a couple of things right. I think they've definitely tried to go out and get receivers, even like a guy like Calvin Ridley, who they really they tried to pursue in free agency. They couldn't get them. They tried to get Ayuk near the draft, couldn't get them. I think at this point the Patriots like, you're looking at this year, you're probably not gonna be a contending team. This is a team that's developing, and we're young. And while getting a guy like Ayuk would help, my question is to you, guys, is it worth it right now when you're not a contending team to go out and and you know, give away draft picks that I'd rather let your young guys.
Speaker 20: I mean, I think worth is it worth the money to spend?
Speaker 19: I think they missed their window to get him because the price was at its lowest probably during the draft. But now the forty nine ers they're in camp, and he actually reported he's not holding out. So at this point the price is gonna be at its highest because the forty nine ers are trying to go and win a Super Bowl. So unless they're he's gonna hold out and not play games, why would they even look to trade him if he's willing to play in the games unless that deal is perfect. So obviously, getting a guy like Brandon Ayuk, he would come in be the clear cut number one, and you're looking at this receiver room a lot different to Mario Douglas gets to move over to the slot where he's more comfortable at five eight, Kendrick Bourne doesn't have to carry the load of being a wide receiver one, and these rookies can build confidence behind these guys when they're not facing number one corners like we could go out Week one and Jalen Pole in Cincinnati is against their number one corner. So it just opens up a lot of things. If you can get a guy like Brandon Ayuk.
Speaker 2: You just want to take a call. Yeah, Jason and Lynn, Hi, Jason, how are you hey?
Speaker 15: I'm good?
Speaker 2: Oh hey Jason? Yeah, Yeah, how's it going? What do you got?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 15: And good? Coming back from my job and Quincy nine five minutes of twelve from hearing that we don't got a number one wide receiver. But I'm thinking it's uh flop from Washington. That's I've been ryding with those guys. I'm in a little bit of disagreement with the guy. I think it's a passive. I think we're gonna have some rookie time here.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 5: I was about to ask that question too. Do we think Jalen Polk will become the number one wide receiver for the Patriots?
Speaker 20: And I think so.
Speaker 5: And I think, like I stated earlier, Javon Baker, Jalen Polk, and Debara Douglass, I think you're there.
Speaker 6: They are the Patriots Big three.
Speaker 3: I think yeah.
Speaker 19: I mean, he has the tools to become a wide number one wide receiver, but he's got things to fix up.
Speaker 20: Obviously.
Speaker 10: He can't really fix that.
Speaker 19: He's slightly below average speed for a wide receiver. He needs to refine his route running. He's got the NFL body where he can go up and get a ball. We saw it you Washington. Whenever they wanted to go deep, it was usually him in traffic. He's that is his one elite skills. He can go up and get you a ball, which is a great skill to have as a wide receiver one. But there's just other things at his game that are just not ready yet to become a wide receiver one.
Speaker 14: Totally agree with you. That's a great way I look at it. Love that.
Speaker 15: Thanks boys, Okay, gold Path all right.
Speaker 2: Thanks Jason, appreciate you. Eight five five PATS five hundred, toll free number eight five five p A t S five hundred. Web radio at Patriots dot Com, at JR Broadcaster On Twitter or X what do you guys call.
Speaker 20: It Twitter or Twitter?
Speaker 6: I still call it twitter.
Speaker 2: We'll call it twitter good because I'm not trying to be politically correct, and I hate it. It's Twitter, okay. And then on Facebook, anybody here have a Facebook page? Patrick's looking at but like god, how old are you?
Speaker 20: I cannot.
Speaker 2: It's okay, it's honest. I like that. That's just that's what old. That's old people's social media, right, old people's social media. All right? How many games does this team win this year? Ahead, take a prediction, take a shot five.
Speaker 6: Seven.
Speaker 3: I got them winning six games.
Speaker 19: I don't know what the over under is at, but I think if I was a betting man, I'd go with the under, just with all the moving pieces. If it's four and a half, I think I'd go with four.
Speaker 21: I'm pretty sure ESPN bet has that they are not favored in a single game this season.
Speaker 5: But you know, I think any Patriots fan would be happy if we could somehow make it to the wild card.
Speaker 2: That more than seven I think. I mean, the defense, you're optimistic, Okay, you.
Speaker 20: Need the Bills and the Dolphins to not win a single game.
Speaker 5: And talking to some of the players at autographs, they were seeming pretty optimistic. But like you said, I mean, it is the first day of training camp. They haven't got yelled at.
Speaker 2: Yet, haven't gotten yelled at, haven't got hit in them out? All right, guys, good job. Where do you go? All right? All right, so we're halfway through this thing. We've got two more subjects that we're going to tackle coming up. In fact, speaking of tackle, on the offensive side of the ball, these are the people that have to protect Drake may These are the people that have to hold the line and block so the receivers can catch the ball and yeah, open up holes for the running backs to get through. The hole. The offensive line is a big off season and start of the season story for the New England Patriots. Have they done enough to protect Drake may or Jacoby Brissett or anybody else that would be in there? The offensive line is the subject? Is we roll along with Patriots Playbook on Patriots dot Com radio.
Speaker 16: Isn't it time to get exactly what you want?
Speaker 17: Welcome to Red Hot Deal Days from Verizon, where you get your pick of our best deals like my plan, where you can pick the person you want and save on everyone for limited time. Bring your own phones to a Verizon store and you can get my plan for our best price ever. Get exactly what you want on your phone plan and only pay for what you need. Bring your phone to your Verizon start to day and get my plan. These deals won't last. It's your Verizon.
Speaker 18: When someone accidentally threw away the school play costumes, oh No, replacements were shipped with FedEx and with picture proof of delivery, everyone could focus on the perfect opening night FedEx where now it's next for residential delivery only.
Speaker 16: Isn't it time to get exactly what you want?
Speaker 17: Welcome to Red Hot Deal Days from Verizon, where you get your pick of our best deals like my plan, where you can pick the perks you want and save on everyone for limited time. Bring your own phones to a Verizon store and you can get my plan for our best price ever. Get exactly what you want on your phone plan and only pay for what you need. Bring your phone see you or Verizon Starts to day and get my plan. These deals won't last. It's your Verizon.
Speaker 18: When someone accidentally throw away the school play costumes, Oh No replacements were shipped with FedEx and with picture proof of delivery, everyone could focus on the perfect opening night FedEx where now meets next for residential delivery only.
Speaker 16: Isn't it time to get exactly what you want?
Speaker 17: Welcome to red Hot Deal Days from Verizon, where you get your pick of our best deals like my plan, where you can pick the perks you want and save on everyone for limited time.
Speaker 16: Bring your own.
Speaker 17: Phones to a Verizon store and you can get my plan for our best price ever. Get exactly what you want on your phone plan and only pay for what you need. Bring your phone see you or Verizon Start to day and get my plan. These deals won't last. It's your Verizon.
Speaker 18: When someone accidentally through away the school play costumes. Oh no, replacements were shipped with FedEx and with picture proof of delivery, everyone could focus on the perfect opening night FedEx where Now it's next for residential delivery only.
Speaker 1: This is Patriots Playbook.
Speaker 2: Is it my turn to talk?
Speaker 15: Now?
Speaker 1: He's your host of Patriots Playbook, John Rook bad As select.
Speaker 2: As your work from home space turned into an everything from home space. Find furniture that fits your life, your budget, and your living space thanks to Bob's Discount Furniture shot tons of on trand small space friendly styles like Bob's do it All dining sets, smart storage and small footprint sectionals that can take you all the way from midday meeting to happy hour in no time. So stop into your local store and multitask stylishly with Bob's Discount Furniture, the official furniture store of the New England Patriots. We continue into hour two of the playbook, our July edition. We're featuring students that I have that I missed that, okay, yeah, we lost that. All right. We're featuring students that you good if you just lost all of that was my fault. Oh that was you, Okay. I was about to say all of a sudden.
Speaker 1: I got a lot of new knobs in here.
Speaker 2: John, I know, I know, but I like things went dark all of a sudden, I said, Oh, is this it end of life? Is it here already? Damn? I just turned I just had a birthday this week, you know, jeez, cut my feet up from underneath me.
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: Okay, at least I got the I got the sponsor in.
Speaker 10: Miss Robin, take you out?
Speaker 2: She did? She did? You know what we did? We rented a boat and we went out uh and and basically cruised Cape cog Canal.
Speaker 4: Okay, it was that.
Speaker 2: It was awesome, great weather for it. It was awesome weather. And then of course we're out in the middle of the Cape Cock. We're actually over there by mass Maritime, you know where the Bourn Bridge is out there, and the engine conked, so I had to call boat trip La and get towed in. How do you like that?
Speaker 1: You like?
Speaker 2: Dave Portnoy, I just did the same thing, did he really?
Speaker 1: He lit a flare off in the harbor.
Speaker 6: Damn?
Speaker 2: I wish I had thought of that. I would have done the same thing. I'd have staid out on the Battle of the Vote and just launched it, you know, like I'm shooting like Roman Candles or something. Oh, I wish I had thought of that.
Speaker 9: Shoot.
Speaker 2: Now I'm gonna have to get another voat and I have to break down all over again. And you okay, I digress already. It's subject number three, hour, number two year in the playbook. We have our Dean College Sports broadcasting student is a part of our mix here this afternoon, and we are going to talk a little bit about the offensive line coming up. Eric Darcy is here. Eric, tell us where you're from and what year in school.
Speaker 7: I'm going into my junior year high school, okay, and I'm from like Oakland, New Jersey.
Speaker 6: It's very like near NYC.
Speaker 7: And I want to give a shout out to all my guys at home watching Brandon, Dan, Derek, Matt, Mike. I also want to go to give a shout out to my mom the.
Speaker 2: Entire free world. Okay, that's good, that's fine, You're allowed to do that. In addition to Eric, Noah higher I know him. Hell, what year in school? Where are you from?
Speaker 24: I'm going into my junior year and I'm from Norton, Massachusetts.
Speaker 2: Norton. Oh, so you're you're a neighbor. Yeah, you're a neighbor. Are you a Patriots fan?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, please, thank you, good lord. You can't be from Norton, Mass And not be a Patriots fan. Seriously, all right, Mark manfreda, Mark, how's it going?
Speaker 3: Good? Good you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, we're hanging. We're just hanging. What year are you in school? And where are you from?
Speaker 3: So I'm gonna go to my freshman year of college at Dean.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, fresh meat.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm from I'm from Milbury, Mass. So it's like twenty to fifteen minutes outside of West.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know where Berry is. Absolutely. And are you a Patriots fan?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm just look, I gotta ask the question. I've had Giants fan here. I had, you know, Noel Lespina in the last segment of the program he's a Dolphins fan. Did you guys know that.
Speaker 6: About Norman what he's from?
Speaker 7: It is unacceptable to Hampshire totally. Are you from the area and not a fan of.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying right, and Ava Powell is with us. You're the You're I think you win the award for furthest distance.
Speaker 25: Oh well, Charlie's from Arizona.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's right, Charlie. Now, no, yeah, it would be Charlie probably. But you're from Virginia, right, okay, Northern Virginia. Right. What year are you in school?
Speaker 25: Going into my senior year?
Speaker 2: Senior year? Right? Okay? Is this somebody you really you think you want to do?
Speaker 25: I mean, I wanted to come here and experience it, just to see if I liked it, if I wanted to learn more about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, okay, good. What did you think of camp today?
Speaker 25: I think it was pretty fun. I liked watching the guys play on the field. We got to see the cheerleaders too. It's just pretty cool.
Speaker 2: You're you're in competitive cheer right, yeah, okay, so I'm sure you probably were paying attention. Actually, we have a pretty good track record of Dean College dance majors making the Patriots cheerleading school. Yeah you didn't know that, Marine, I did not know that. Listen. I'm actually I'm very proud of this. The very first male NFL cheerleader, okay, is a former student of mine. I don't even know what to say to that. I know, right, that's probably not much I did.
Speaker 6: I did not know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, the very first male in NFL history. He made the Patriots Cheerleague squad I think four years ago. Yeah, yeah, yeah, So he's uh yeah, he's a good kid. And he actually was in my speech class and he aised it. He got an A. So he did pretty good job of communicating. So anyway, so there's a track record there, there's a good track rerd. All right, guys, the subject matter here today. By the way, we'll remind everybody phone number toll free open eight five five PATS five hundred eight five five p A t S five hundred, Web radio at Patriots dot com. If you want to send email, uh, you can hit me up on Twitter at JR Broadcaster or you can find me on Facebook at John dot rook. Our question is how offensive is the offensive line? Of course, you understand the context offensive being stinky, you know, and I'm not talking about the size of the guys or anything in the trenches. But let's face it, they struggled. They struggled last year. It was a horrific year for the offensive line. A year ago. I am in the camp of if there were better guys in front of him, Mac Jones might still be here.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, yeah, I can agree on that.
Speaker 2: Okay, So how offensive his this offensive line? Is there hope for you know, Jacoby? Is their hope for Drake? And how will the play of the offensive line affect that competition? What are your thoughts? Who wants to start?
Speaker 3: I'll go first, Okay, go on Ava. What are the stats for last years for the offensive line? It was I know, I know they were bottom of the league for for something.
Speaker 25: Yeah they are.
Speaker 6: I think they were ranked last when what and what?
Speaker 25: The Patriots offensive line ranked dead last? Second with the past blocking win rate.
Speaker 2: Not blocking win rate was dead last.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's not that's not good. That's not mean. I mean, how are you supposed to win games when you're when you're O line came in to block for you, understood? I think I think there's definitely mean. Definitely from today, watching today, it was definitely like the line looks solid. There were plenty of runs rushed for ten plus yards, Jacoby and Drake May had plenty of time in the pocket when they passed, making some great passes as well. I think I think there's definitely hope. I know that cole Cole Strange is out with a torn pectuliar tendon. Uh, and we have to we have to find someone to fill that role, which I think I think it could be either Nick Lavert, Michael Jordan, or Leyden Robinson as well. Robinson made thirty three career starts at Texas A and M's right guard. Scouts believe he was close to being pro ready as well. During the draft, Michael Jor was undrafted, made twenty twenty six starts in the SEC. Scouts say he was a draftable talent a center, and then Nick LeVert I hope him saying that, right, I saw plenty of opportunities in spring his right guard sometimes top of the offensive line. Ten career starts in three seasons with Tampa, so it's not it's not a lot. So I mean, if we can get, you know, more reps for them so you can fill in for cold strange, I think, you know, I think we have hope.
Speaker 2: Oh okay Leverett, Yes, Sorrycuvert, Yeah, okay, I was thinking, do we have a new night it's pre season? What do I know?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 2: Okay, that's okay, that's fine, all right. What do you think Eric?
Speaker 24: Uh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I really think that last.
Speaker 7: Year the one of the main reasons with the offensive line struggle was injuries and health issues. I know that Cole Strange was out a lot during this was his sophomore season. I know Trent Brown was out a lot, and we had other guys having to fill in, like City, So when I believe he was a rookie, he had to fill in. I know Jake Andrews was in for the last two or so games. But I feel like now that we we have we extended on on. It was like four years, seventy one dollars we got, we got more help with a core four.
Speaker 17: YEP.
Speaker 7: I'm not exactly completely set on him. I'm not really bought on the idea because mainly he hasn't played left tackle.
Speaker 3: Or aren't they trying to switch him to the left tack right, they.
Speaker 7: Were trying to switch him to the left tackle, and he hasn't played left tackle since college, so that could be a bit.
Speaker 1: I have.
Speaker 6: I have no idea. I have no idea what what years?
Speaker 7: And I know he's been playing for a decent amount he's been He's been ok with the he we signed him from the Steelers, and I mean we still have we have David Andrews coming back, which is gonna help.
Speaker 6: Like I said on WHENU.
Speaker 7: My main concern would be with Cole Strange, as he's not going to be able.
Speaker 6: The report says that.
Speaker 7: He will be out at least for the first four games of the season, which is where I think that Loverett can come in since he was he was holding down his position well at Tampa and he only allowed just four quarterback hits and no sacks against Brady when he played there in twenty twenty two. It was around like it was four. He took like four eighty two snaps. Zero sacks is four four hits allowed. And I feel like since col Strange may probably will be out, I think that Loverett can fill that spot nicely as well. As we also have Caden Wallace that we drafted out of Penn State, the four star prospect. I think he will definitely add some He will definitely add some depth and help to the line. But my other than the concerns on Strange's health and a CORPS four definitely City Sow I have a main concern on well also.
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean, health is a huge reason why the line wasn't that good. Yeah, sure, I mean a lot of people were injured, you know, we didn't have a lot I mean, I would say we wouldn't have. We didn't have a lot of depth.
Speaker 6: Half the team was like in the Hostege exactly.
Speaker 3: So I mean for free to say, you know, it's it's all to health, I mean it really is. I mean that's that's important.
Speaker 2: Who's the left tackle on this team right now?
Speaker 7: It's it's going to be a core for But like I said, he hasn't he usually a right tackle, and he hasn't played left tackle since college, which could be very concerning. But I feel like with the Patriots with they also have on Whenu at right tackle, who as we know, has played both before. He has positioned versatility, and if a core for starts to struggle at left tackle, I feel like the Patriots could move him back to where he was originally playing it right and try on when Who at left because I remember they did that at some point last season and it worked out decently well.
Speaker 2: Okay, any other thoughts on that, guys?
Speaker 24: Noah, I mean, I think you covered most of the main concerns health, but I'm not I'm not too concerned about a core for moving to a left tackle.
Speaker 3: I mean, well, I mean so I looked it up. It's just so the season. Yeah, I mean he hasn't played. He hasn't played since college, so I mean that's a long time. He can be rusty, sure.
Speaker 7: But and like the the gap between like if you if you're a right tackle switching into a left tackle, it's just like a huge significant change.
Speaker 24: Yeah, I don't know, it'd be interesting to see how it goes.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to me, I think they're gonna end up having to plug and play quite a bit. Absolutely, Yeah, guys around it's the expansive experimenting. Uh, there may even be some matchup lineup changes depending upon who's lining up on the other team and whether or not you know, one of the defenders you know, plays to a particular weakness of you know, one of the Patriots players and the offensive line. I think it's gonna have to mix a match We'd love to find a core five that would be there from day one and stay hopefully as healthy as they possibly can throughout. That ain't gonna happen, Okay, we all understand that, especially over the stretch of a seventeen week regular season soon to be eighteen. I don't know, did you guys see that story? Already in big negotiations to add the eighteenth game to the regular season. And I've said that from for a long time to come, since we moved to seventeen on this program and other venues and other places, that the eighteenth game was going to happen. It is going to happen, whether anybody wants it or not. It's just an inevitability because we need more meaningful football. We don't need more non meaningful football, which means exhibition play. So they'll end up, you know, still doing a couple of preseason games. You might get a controlled scrimmage or you know, joint practices like the Patriot's going to do with the Eagles in a couple of weeks. But eighteen games is going to be here, which means likely there'll be a couple of buys an extra buy moved in it also, I know, and I know that changed the subjecting for a moment, but I brought it up just because it's top of mind. I think we'll finally the way that the calendar plays out, I think we're finally going to get that day after the Super Bowl holiday because it's going to push the super Bowl back, I think to President's Day weekend, think in February, which means everybody's gonna have the day off from good work and you guys school, you know hopefully right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah right.
Speaker 3: I mean I mean I'm staying up late for the Super Bowl.
Speaker 6: I mean who doesn't. Who doesn't somebody who has.
Speaker 2: To get up at three am for morning drive radio like I used to have to that. That just stunk. That was awye.
Speaker 3: I do know the Pats have Scott Scott Peters the new coach. I mean that's big. I mean, you know Drawd Mayo now and then he reh I mean he hired Scott Peters, who then Van Pelt hired Peters, I believe. Yeah, yeah, that's big. It's all new systems now and for people that were for alignment that we're in the Belichick era, it's I feel like I think it's gonna be a really big switch.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I also just realized that I just saw that Kate Wallace is also He also plays left tackle. So if the Pats don't decide to move on when to left, then then Kate Wallace the rookie who I mean, I don't really know if he should jump in considering he is a rookie and I feel like he may need time to develop. If a core four really does start to struggle, then I then, honestly, I feel like that the Pats could try Kana Wallace because his draft report was really good.
Speaker 6: He had a lot of positives.
Speaker 7: Plays long and can keep defenders at his fingertips, loose balance, moving with good lank and big hands. It just continues on in the amount of positives that this guy has.
Speaker 2: Where does Calvin Anderson fit into this, Because here's a guy that you know, came in, we thought he had had some versatility. He obviously had the illness issue a year ago. Uh and and so now he's trying to play his way back into the mix. He can also play tackle, and I think that's his preferred position. Is this a guy that's going to get a look?
Speaker 3: I think so?
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean I don't see why he wouldn't. I mean, just like you said, I mean he has he has, he has all the I mean he sixth season. I mean he's he's ah, not veteran, but he knows he knows how to play the position. Yeah, I mean six ' five, three h five, he's he's got any and you know, we saw we saw him today. He he he did really well during during practice, I mean I I, yeah, I don't see I don't see why it would be an issue.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And speaking of that, so who stood out to you a practice today in terms of some of these big guys out there, and was there a lot of mixing and matching. What did you notice about rotations or anything about the the guys when they were in their eleven and elevens and seven and well especially eleven and elevens.
Speaker 7: Mainly, Like, I don't really know if like anyone specifically stood out to me, but I know that during like some of their like seven on seven eleven eleven chills, they were able to like create some of the gaps in the holes for yes Madre or Kevin Harris to run through that actually got them very far down the field. I know they weren't playing tackle because it's first day of training camp, but they were able to find new able to create some really good holes for the running backs, which now that Van Pelt is here, he's a very like run heavy guy, run heavy, play action guy. So I feel like now that now that that's now that that's happening, they're gonna start favoring, They're gonna start giving Madre Harris, all those guys a lot more touches and I feel like they've had in the past, which if the O line can create those gaps and that's going to create for some big plays in the upcoming season.
Speaker 2: Okay, ay, but did you what did you see out there practice today that maybe you didn't know where you didn't expect by some of these guys, Because when you knew that, you're going to talk about the offensive lineman, I'm sure it's probably not a position you're terribly familiar with overall. But what what did they teach you? What? What did they what did they what did they introduce you to in that regard?
Speaker 25: I mean, they're all really tall, and I don't know they're they're fast. I mean, from what I saw it looked pretty solid.
Speaker 2: There seemed to be at least from what I saw out there, there seemed to be uh, some switching of positions going on at least a little bit. I think they were trying. They were kind of plugging and playing. Does that versatility help or hurt at this developmental stage? Want to tackle that one.
Speaker 3: I think it can be both. I think it hurt and hurt and help. I mean it can definitely hurt because some players aren't familiar, they're not accustomed to it. They they might not they might not necessarily know what to do in certain situations. But I think it can also help with versatility. I mean, they once they figure out how to play the position, they can play both. You know, let's just say it's a tackle they can do right and left.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it comes different. I completely agree with you.
Speaker 7: Like, like I said earlier, uh, like last season they swapped on why do I believe over the left tackle for a few games and that ended up going really well. So I think that it can help them with with if like some players discover that they have that they are versatile at position switching. But if they're not, then it's gonna end up costing the team.
Speaker 2: Costing the team what it wins, losses talent.
Speaker 7: What wins, what would cost he could be could be costing them, like pressure on the QB sacks could be costing them.
Speaker 2: We do have to keep you know, a guy named Drake may healthy at.
Speaker 6: All kinds exactly.
Speaker 7: I don't I don't want another mac Jones situation where we draft this highly talented quarterback and early in the first round and it just all goes to waste and we trade them away a few seasons later.
Speaker 2: Got you all, right, let's let's you know, I mean, look, I think we all realize that this position is going to be a WIP, a work in progress all season long. Right, you have to hope that you can stay relatively healthy. One of the keys to healthiness is versatility. Because one of the things that the Patriots have done under the previous regime, and I think seems to be really the way to roll it in most NFL camps in teams is through versatility because you create depth when guys can play multiple positions. So you're looking for players in the offensive line that can play multiple positions. You know, you've got David Andrews, Jake Andrews potentially to back him up at center. Jake Andrews can also I think, slide over to guard. So that helps you in terms of your versatility where that's concerned. The tackle obviously is the key issue to me, because you're you're protecting on the left side, the blind side of the quarterback. If you need the athleticism for the quarterback, then that's probably when he needs to recognize, you know, he needs to have a feel for that pocket a little bit, so we know when to step up and move around and avoid, you know, getting slammed. That's the biggest issue I personally believe. My thought is is that until they are able to develop some continuity, that you're going to see the Patriots not dink and dunk, but probably emphasize a shorter passing game and run a game. You know, I don't think we're going to see a whole lot of what everybody really wants to see. Hey, Jalen go long, I don't think that's gonna happen.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean we also didn't see that during during Jain camp today. I mean there were all short passes or at least midfield passes, curl.
Speaker 7: And out routes, and so I want to kind of go on a bit of the obsession about this, but one of the one of my main concerns, like I said earlier, was City Sou who was thrown into the starting lineup as a rookie due to injuries to other O linemen.
Speaker 3: Mm hm.
Speaker 7: And I mean his performance was like I mean, in my opinion, exceptional, like average is. He got he got what needed to be done, but he wasn't like he didn't wow me or catch my attention or I feel like that.
Speaker 3: Wasn't that all you need? Though it's just an average. I mean, you don't need someone to absolutely over the top impress you, like just give you a but I feel like I feels for impressions, but like someone that can fill in.
Speaker 7: I feel like with the Patriots with their the situation, their on line is they're gonna need like guys who sort of kind of veteran guys who I feel like who can play at that right guard position, can who citysau can develop and learn under for the future. Mainly guys who have played under the Earhard Perkins system, which is the system that the Patriots use on offense. HM kind of guys like they're both signed now, but guys like Kevin Dotson and Kevin Zeitler who they've played for the Steelers and Giants who have also used those type of systems that like the system is like a smash mouth offense that maximizes a team's possession and doesn't usually call on running backs as like receivers, so it's more of a throw to score, run to win type of offense and like type of scheme and I feel like if we can get sort of a guy who's familiar with that system and can play good at right guard, sort of a veteran off the free agent market, I feel like he can City South can develop under him so that when the time comes, since he's very he's still he's going into a sophomore season, when the time comes, he can set up to that role and excel at it.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think I think he could. I think games stay right where he is personally, I mean I think, hey, I mean he's a new coach. I mean again, he was coached by Belichick last year. New coach, new system. Give it a shot. I mean, toss him in there. I mean he can get experience with playing time. I mean, he had thirteen starts as a rookie Eastern Michigan. He had thirty one career starts. I mean, I don't.
Speaker 2: See experienced there of the position.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. And I don't see what he can't. I don't see why he can't get experience as a sophomore in the NFL, just by just Osmosis.
Speaker 2: Okay, So what we need is we have to hope for health, relative health, and perhaps extra versatility on the line and depth.
Speaker 7: Yeah, definitely depth, definitely death, Definitely depth. And I think that someone like I mentioned before, Cayenen Wallace, helps with that that we just drafted him. We drafted him and the other O line. I'm blanking on his name, but we There's definitely those two young yeah, Robinson, Yeah, Robinson, Leaden Layden Robinson, Yeah, definitely those two. How did they had a lot of positives in their draft report coming out of it, and I feel like that those two that it can be like the start to getting more depth on our O line, which is definitely like something that the Patriots really needed.
Speaker 3: I have a question actually, so I'm wondering how big is this season for Scott Peters. I mean, is it how important is it?
Speaker 2: I think anybody that's going to be in their first year is going to be given the benefit of the doubt. That's my thought. Now, after year two, if there isn't significant forward progress being made, then you can start thinking about, you know, shuffling the card deck, so to speak. But I think you know, there's there's got to be a minimum a full season and then you have to take a into consideration. What happened during the year was the offensive line decimated by injury? Or was their growth? Was their improvement? Uh? You know, how did the draft picks? Look? You know who got coached up? Who didn't get coached at all? You know is uh, you know, Cole, thank you strange. I keep wanting to call him something else cold strange. Does he does he work his way back into the lineup? Yeah?
Speaker 3: You know, I saw it. I saw somewhere that he's not guaranteed a spot back on the team once he's fully healed, right, And I think, I think, Oh, I mean, you know, in the NFL, your job's not guarantee to me. If someone's going to get.
Speaker 2: Back, you gotta you gotta figure out a way to get healthy. You can't play if you're hurt. You gotta get healthy.
Speaker 15: All right.
Speaker 2: Before we wrap up this portion of the program, how many wins this year?
Speaker 3: I think, I honestly think more than five. I don't know. I don't know what coach.
Speaker 2: You're gonna say five?
Speaker 3: I say over five.
Speaker 14: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know coach. I think coach over here said some about six earlier before, and I don't know what he's talking about. I'll be honest, I think we're gonna get over five. I mean, new system, new knew everything. I mean, I'm talking, I'm talking about Nick coach coach, Yeah, alright, if you know.
Speaker 2: You know, all right, I'm just wondering, all right, what do you think?
Speaker 7: I think that definitely with the new like the new revamped offense, you have the full defense coming back, Gonzalez coming back of injury, Jude on many others. I feel like we're gonna be in that this could be a bit of a stretch. I feel like we're being that eight to ten win range. Really yeah, I'm very I'm very confident, extraordinarily optimistic. I'm very optimistic.
Speaker 2: If you know, his nose is cold. Okay, good, all right, very good. What do you think wins losses? What do you think?
Speaker 25: From what I was told, the defensive line is still coming back, all of them and the same from us, so they should be strong and the chemistry should be good between all of them. With the new offensive line, I don't know. I mean, I'm probably gonna guess in the middle around neutral.
Speaker 3: So like so like eight, maybe maybe.
Speaker 25: Maybe eight something like that.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of people would settle for seven or eight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, especially last season too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean eight to nine is going to actually have If you won eight games, you would be in the playoff. Mixed through December.
Speaker 3: Actually, I saw, uh there was like an NFL report or something and they projected the Patriots win three games this whole season.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the Patriots.
Speaker 2: Where the Patriots were the the odds on favor for the number.
Speaker 6: One the Patriots.
Speaker 7: I saw where they are the underdogs in every single game this season, no matter the team. They were not favored to win a single game, correct, which I think is a bit outrageous in my opinion.
Speaker 2: No, what do you think wins losses? What do you think?
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 24: You're keeping the defense, which will help a lot with Lake chemistry, like Davias said, So, I mean it really comes down to the offense, you know, the whole new quarterback situation, which I think will go way better than last year, the on line, how they start the season without cold strange. I'm thinking a solid nine to eight record.
Speaker 2: Really well, nine and eight, there'd be a lot of people that will be, you know, you know, praising you, fellow. So I'm not sure I can go that route, but I think that would be an interesting season, and nine and eight would certainly. In my honest opinion, I think it's a success if you do better than you did last year. So you know, this team managed four wins a year ago.
Speaker 15: I just.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say six. And I haven't really even I haven't really taken a good hard look at the schedule yet. I know it's gonna be extraordinarily difficult. You know, it's strange when you have, you know, one of the worst records in the league to come back the next year with the second or third toughest schedule in the league. But the problem is is that you don't You're not able to kind of patch your schedule full of Patsy's because you have a divisional rotation in terms of the schedule that the NFL predetermines. I've asked people to ask me, how come the Patriots, you know, we're terrible last year, they're gonna play your tough schedule again because that's out of their control. That's set by Park Avenue in New York. So it's unfortunate, but that's the way that it kind of fell out because of the rotation.
Speaker 3: So we're also in a really tough division as well.
Speaker 2: Well. This is I think all three of the teams in the division. I think Buffalo probably drops back to the pack a little bit. I think Miami right now, to me, I think that the Dolphins are the favorites in the AFC East. Now I don't like the Jets. And the reason that I don't like the Jets is, you know, Aaron Rodgers is going to show me he can stay healthy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, especially with playing force naps last year.
Speaker 2: It's what I mean. You know, when I see it, I may believe it. I just don't know if that's even gonna be possible. So right now, I've got Miami, Buffalo, Jets, Patriots in the APES East. But I think the Patriots can win two or three games. Yeah, I was within the division.
Speaker 7: I also want to mention, like one quick thing before we have to head out. It was it was a stat last year that the Patriots held more teams to under ten points than any other team in the league.
Speaker 6: Correct on defense.
Speaker 7: Correct, And the reason they had like such that bad of a record is mainly the offense with the horrible O line.
Speaker 3: Or where we last in the league for points per game?
Speaker 7: Yeah, that was that was for the That was for the offense, but the defense was first in the league for like allowing under tenth like keeping teams under ten points. Yes, I feel like now with their revamped offense is why I said like that eight to ten win range.
Speaker 2: All right? Good enough, guys? Where do you go? Ridge Stone is the official tire of the New England Patriots and proud to partner. It was sort of entire New England's head quarters for quality Bridge don't Tires. Visit subtodtire dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 16: Isn't it time to get exactly what you want?
Speaker 17: Welcome to Red Hot Deal Days from Verizon, where you get your pick of our best deals like my plan, where you can pick the person you want and save on everyone for limited time. Bring your own phones to a Verizon store and you can get my plan for our best price ever.
Speaker 16: Get exactly what you.
Speaker 17: Want on your phone plan and only pay for what you need. Bring your phone to your Verizon store today and get my plan. These deals won't last. It's your Verizon.
Speaker 18: When someone accidentally threw away the school play costumes, oh No, replacements were shipped with FedEx and with picture proof of delivery, everyone could focus on the perfect opening night FedEx Where now me It's next for residential delivery only.
Speaker 16: Isn't it time to get exactly what you want?
Speaker 17: Welcome to Red Hot Deal Days from Verizon, where you get your pick of our best like my plan, where you can pick the perks you want and save on everyone for limited time. Bring your own phones to a Verizon store and you can get my plan for our best price ever. Get exactly what you want on your phone plan and only pay for what you need. Bring your phone to your Verizon store today and get my plan. These deals won't last. It's your Verizon.
Speaker 18: When someone accidentally threw away the school play costumes, oh No, replacements were shipped with FedEx and with picture proof of delivery, everyone could focus on the perfect opening night FedEx Where Now mean's next for residential delivery only.
Speaker 16: Isn't it time to get exactly what you want?
Speaker 17: Welcome to Red Hot Deal Days from Verizon, where you get your pick of our best deals like my plan, where you can pick the perks you want and save on everyone for limited time. Bring your own phones to a Verizon store and you can get my plan for our best price ever. Get exactly what you want on your phone plan and only pay for what you need bring your phone, see your Verizon start to day and get my plan.
Speaker 16: These deals won't last. It's your Verizon.
Speaker 1: This is Patriots Playbook, the Legend.
Speaker 2: Welcome back inside the Playbook. We're rounding third heading for home here. We've got four major subjects that we've been talking about here on day one of Patriots training camp here at Jillette Stadium in Foxboro, and these seem to be the overwhelming areas of concern for this team as we head into the twenty four to twenty five season. We've talked about the quarterback battle, We've talked wide receiver. We've gone into the nuances of the offensive line and whether or not there's enough talent really and versatility perhaps to be able to protect guys like Jacoby Brissett and Drake May. But now we're going to flip it to the other side of the ball for the final question of the day, because let's face it, the strong point for the New England Patriots for this season has to be on the defensive side of the ball. You're talking about an overall top five to top ten ranked defense. Even a year ago when the team struggled to four wins out on the field, So if this team is to sort of feign competitiveness at the start of this season, the defense is clearly going to have to carry them. And I say that because I know these guys are gonna try to back that up or perhaps even dispute that. So as we wrap up with our Dean College sports broadcasting students today, Ben Gilman, is are you a senior? Ben?
Speaker 3: I am.
Speaker 26: I'm gonna be a senior next year at need Him High School.
Speaker 2: Need them all right, So we've we got a local here Patriots fan? Yes, okay, I kind of thought so, Charlie Hazen. Yes, Charlie, Charlie. But Charlie, you'rean out of town or aren't you?
Speaker 10: Yes, I'm from Tucson, Arizona.
Speaker 2: That's what I thought. So you won the award for the longest distance coming in New England.
Speaker 10: I definitely did.
Speaker 2: Yeah. What's your overall impression? Is this your first time in New England?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, it actually is my first time here.
Speaker 2: What do you think you haven't seen much?
Speaker 10: Though not much, but it's interesting.
Speaker 2: Do you even know what an ocean looks like?
Speaker 10: I did go to the ocean on Saturday?
Speaker 1: You did here? Yes?
Speaker 2: Good for you.
Speaker 10: What'd you think it was? There was no waves?
Speaker 2: No waves? Really? Why do I have to pay for beaches?
Speaker 20: Exactly?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: Big? Okay, great Charlie. We're glad to have you, buddy. All right, Chris Rosner, should I say Chris or Christopher? Christopher? You prefer the longer version. It's fine the show. Yeah, okay, all right, Christopher Christopher? Where are? Where is your hometown? Of what you are you?
Speaker 27: I'm going to my senior year. I attend the Western High School, and I'm sadly not a Patriots fan, So I am a New York Giants fan.
Speaker 20: Big blue.
Speaker 2: That's two right now, there's two Giants fans. Okay, so I have to make a note. I got one two guys that get f's this week. Okay, I'm all set. And uh Connor vital Connor's wearing the West Virginia swag, so yeah, all right, I appreciate that, though, uh and uh Connor, you are from where and what year?
Speaker 13: I'm from Dartmouth, Mass. And I'm a senior at Bishop's Staying High School. Got Spartans?
Speaker 2: Okay, there you go. And you're from Dartmouth, yep, and you're a Patriots.
Speaker 13: Fan nope, I'm a Buffalo Bills fan.
Speaker 2: Baby, Oh my god, holy cow. Yeah, wow, say you no, Matt's he's agreeing with you. What are you a Buffalo?
Speaker 1: Just move move that micro around?
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, right, yeah, I get the micro un to your face and we're gonna have to look at it. Okay, good, Why Buffalo? How did you become a Buffalo fan? Living in here? Living around here?
Speaker 13: I have the same birthday as Josh Allen, and I like how the fans are crazy.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you're you're sort of a super member of the Bill's mafia.
Speaker 13: Yeah, and a little bit of a bandwagon.
Speaker 2: But okay, well that's all right, that's okay. That's how people, you know, Patriots fans got into the Patriot you know, you know, uh fandom because of the bandwagon, because of the success over the number of years. So I understand how that works. Guys. We're gonna start it though, talking about some defense to begin with, because I can we agree that this is the strong suit for this edition of the Patriot football team. That defense is really what they have to kind of hang their head on. Absolutely. Yeah, all right, tell me though, what stands out about this team defensively, and what did you see from the defenders in really a kind of loosely based practice today as we open up training camp, what did you see?
Speaker 13: They have some young pass rushers that just like to get get it done. And I feel like Matt Judon being older, he definitely like provides good leadership to the younger guys. They're gonna run this league in the next like five ten years.
Speaker 2: Okay, what else you know?
Speaker 22: To kind of switch the point here, I feel like they shouldn't sign him just for the reason is he's getting old and he I feel like he can easily hurt the team with that new contract that it's using cap space on a player that's going to be thirty two, thirty three, thirty four, so on, and the Patriots can use that money on a different player that is younger and would be with the Patriots longer. And I just think he even he is a good leader and everything for the team, but being thirty two, I feel like would be a terrible investment since he can easily get hurt again since he's so old.
Speaker 2: We should update everybody because one of the things that we wanted to talk about today is, you know, do the Patriots need and does the defense and particular need Matt Judah not be only because a lot of people feel like he's the best athlete on that side of the ball, but because he's a veteran leader. You know, he does have one year left on his current contract, but it's for little money because he got paid more last year, and of course last year he spent the you know, majority of the year on the sideline because he was injured. He did tell the media before the session before practice started today that he's willing to play for what he's got this year, although he feels he's worth more. That tells me just from listening and between between the lines here. That tells me that negotiations for an augmented deal are taking place. And so I think he feels like as long as progress is being made toward him getting closer to what he feels he's worth, he's going to play ball. And I think that's a positive for this new England team. Now, Charlie, I have to admit I'm not in total disagreement with your thought process because of the age and the youth and everything they're doing here, but because the Patriots new regime, the new staff you know, Elliott Wolf, you know Coach Mayo, everybody in this side of the ball right because of what they've done with some of the veterans left over from the Beligick regime and resigning them to create a base. I think that you know, bringing Judaon back is imperative because he's looked up to in that locker room by so many players. And so if you're resigning some and you're not resenting Jude On when he has that one year left on his deal, then what kind of a signal? What kind of a message are you sending to some of those other guys. To me, it makes it almost an eggshell type of situation. You want guys playing free and easy and not having to worry about the other stuff. You want them going down there doing what they do now age wise. I cannot I couldn't agree more. I think you're spot on on that. I think it's time you get to be thirty two. You don't need to be paying somebody, you know, eighty jillion dollars or whatever they're gonna pay the guy. I think you have to make sure that you're investing in the younger players that can play the position. Go side to side, whatever it may be, cover ground because we know, on the defensive side of the ball in this day and age, you'd better have some speed, you'd better have some fluidity, and your linebackers in particular, had better know how to cover backs coming out of the backfield because if you don't, you're gonna get beat on wheel roots left and right and you're gonna be just grasping it straw. So you got to have speed, you gotta have versatility. I mean, we love guys like Jowan Bentley, you know, the thumper at middle linebacker, but guys like that are rare now in the league, and so it's good to see him develop a little bit. But Jude on being sort of the I mean, you know, first of all, he's not a traditional linebacker. We know that he you know, he's a a what's the word, I'm looking for, a three down lineman or you know that kind of thing. He's in a point stance where he'll line up on defensive end, so he don'ton't necessarily be in the linebacking corps. He'll line up defensive end, he'll rush the quarterback, he'll get after him if he can put pressure on the quarterback. He's valuable. If he can't get pressure on the quarterback, I would say, all right, then you probably got to make your move. So here's my prediction. All right, See, if you like this Charlie starts out, he'll play all right. But if he doesn't bring in numbers and he doesn't effectively or effectively affect this team, I think you'll see them move in younger players and he's going to move off into the limelight and maybe even you know, be some kind of a trade deal. And my guess is they'll probably fill his contract with incentives. And if they fill contract with incentives and he can't possibly make those incentives, you'll probably see him be willing to move back because he'll want to keep himself healthy for his next contract.
Speaker 22: What do you think I do want to add to that is I noticed that last year he did get a boost in his contract, like an extra pay, and now coming to this season, he's wanting more. So I'm just curious on your point here, is he really looking for the money or is he just here?
Speaker 2: I don't know that he's looking for the money. He doesn't. I mean, look, he's a flamboyant guy, you know, he's he's outspoken, but he has looked up to in that locker room. I don't think he's one of those guys that basically says, hey, show me the money first. I don't think he is, yeah, agree with you. I mean, you know, I think at first I thought he might be. I know, he brought that kind of a street rep, you know, when he came from the Ravens. But I gotta tell you, I you know, after listening to him talk, seeing his interactivity with his teammates, what he said in the media, I'm not sure. I think this guy truly wants to win, and I think he would like to build something back here in New England, as all these guys would, because you know, everybody knows, you know, England, you know, had the dynastic thing going for twenty years, and I think a lot of these guys would like to be a part of the second wave of that and try to build it back to the way it was. And I think Judahan is one of those guys that could appreciate that. Now having said that, he and Bill Belichick had a mutual admiration thing gone, Yes, okay, Coach Belichick is no longer here, so I'm wondering what his incentive might be, especially if he doesn't perform up to the expectations that we all have for him once the season starts, and where that leaves this team. Does the defense take a step back? And I mean this is where I can see why some people predict this team to only get three or four wins this year, because if the defense takes a step back, then this defense, this team is going to really struggle.
Speaker 26: Yeah, and I do agree with you. I think that New England is a it's a very special place for sports. New England has extremely loyal fans. And just today actually after the first training day, this reporter by the name of Dakota Randall, he got a chance to interview Matt and Matt says that if it were me and if everything goes well, he'd love to stay in Boston forever. He really wants to be a part of that second dynasty and he doesn't want to move again. And he mentioned that he doesn't want to be traded.
Speaker 2: Good. So see, that's that's positive. Yeah, Dacota Randalls with nesson dot Com. So yes, yeah, okay, I.
Speaker 13: Feel like he's an absolute team guy, like as he's saying like we're at training camp and we see him run out and he's just playing catch with the kids. He wants to be here, like he loves New England. He's an all around Patriots guy. I feel like he represents the Patriots team absolutely in a beautiful way.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean to add on to that. I mean back to what Charlie was saying.
Speaker 27: For the age wise, I mean there's a negative and positivity about that desit with the new ventensive coronator like this came in DeMarcus comings In, who just you know, was the coronator down in Washington State. So for me, it's like for that young experience for him because he's been a you know what linebacker for.
Speaker 20: The Patriots before.
Speaker 2: But for me, it's like.
Speaker 27: Having that veteran guy who's been there, done that, especially with all these young guys. I mean, you definitely want to keep this team as defensive possibly possible as you can, because I mean, to be honest, last year when I watched games, you know, their defense kept him in the games. The offense wasn't provided. I mean I remember one game the Chargers and they got zero points and the defense allowed six points. So it's something like that, where you know, Judon Leavin or dude On not being signed here could affect just like the rookies because he's a big leader, he's main guy in the locker room. I mean, Patriot fans want him. I mean I saw today Huntreds to Judon shirts. I mean people love him. I mean, he's he's a he's a big fan favorite.
Speaker 2: He is a fan favorite. The fans seem to want him to still be here. I just you know the question that I asked you guys originally. I think when we started all this though, is does this defense need let's put a capital in on that word need. Does it need matt Judon? Why or why not?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 14: What?
Speaker 10: I so? What Matt Judon does?
Speaker 22: He changes the game, He can shake up the other team's game plans, and if he's still a Patriot, which is what the Patriots, Patriots need after that blue blow average season last year. So I think there's definitely some key things that the Patriots need Matthew Judon. But in my idea, I feel like there's gonna be better younger players out there that they should start developing him. Even though Matthew Judon, he is definitely a good leader in the locker room, showing the younger people how to do everything.
Speaker 2: So you don't think they need him with a capitol in I don't exactly think they need him.
Speaker 22: He's definitely a good aspect to the Patriots defense. Just saying on how good he did with his twenty twenty two season with fifteen and a half sacks and a lot of quarterback rushes. I think he adds a lot to the team. But very close here, it's gonna be his retirement. He's not going to be at his prime anymore.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's what I think, Ben, What do you think?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 26: On the talking about in twenty twenty two, for example, during Week five, the Patriots were playing the Detroit Lions and the Detroit Lions got zero points, Patriots got twenty nine points and Matt had two sacks himself. That he was the leader of the defense that game, and he was a mentor to everybody on the defense. And I think that it is valuable even though he is getting older and he's not gonna run us fast, but having him to tell these young players what to do if he steps down, and if we have nobody, which which young player are we gonna grab. Are we going to say, Okay, you're now going to be the mentor he needs to teach other people? And then once he finally goes, people are going to step up into his position.
Speaker 2: So you think they need him? I do think though, Okay, all right, so we have one nay, one yeah, and I'm really kind of in the nay category, although I would like him to be here. But if I'm really gonna answer my own question, need I I know, sure, Okay, what do you think, Connor? You want to go?
Speaker 13: So I feel like I'm just gonna be honest. The Patriots have not been as good as they were in the past years, even though their defense is pretty solid. I feel like Matt Judon is a key contributor on that team. He gets the sacks, he gets the boys going, he gives them what they want, and I just feel like without him, it's just gonna be a bunch of young guys that don't have enough mentor, and I feel like he just gives them that energy, he gets them going. He's just that guy.
Speaker 27: Okay means Christopher Sorry interrupt, So speaking of your second wave of the dynasty. So with him being gone, if, for example, because I'm on the neath side for sure. With him, I mean, he has still a lot of talent. I mean he's still had fifteen and a half sacks the year before last year, so he's definitely was, you know, productive, and for me, a lot of things that you know he said and you know in his tweets and or what he said out loud was even though he's finely playing with it, he thinks it's not a fair value, which I understand for sure. I mean there's guys, you know, because I'm a Giants fan, Brian Burns got signed to a big contract for one hundred and fifty one million dollars, you know, and that's a guy who was, you know, maybe better or maybe as good as Judon, so as he sees that, because he also spoke about how it's tough to not to walk around, you know, every day training camp and see all these guys get paid big money and then you know that you deserve it, but everyone's going to disclude you because your age and your injuries. And he's been consistently healthy guy in most of his career and he's played seventeen games. I mean he had two games out in twenty twenty because of the COVID, But I mean last year was one stint, so we don't know. But for me, definitely, with the new defensive coordinator, with everyone being so young, they need someone else to stand up and be a veter in that locker room.
Speaker 2: So for me, yeah, yeah, And let me quantifyed need, because yeah, there are more things than just football talent that are needed on a roster, and it's those intangibles that the Patriots have taken pride in over a number of years when they've had leaders like Willie McGinnis to Teddy Bruski and Vince Wilfork and so many that have come down the pike, and they're all needed. But when you get a little bit longer in the tooth, you get a little bit older, the need changes, and so can you adjust to what the need of the team is. And that's really kind of where we are. Those players, for the most part, did adjust because they were able to kind of keep up with their abilities on the field. The Patriots needed it. I don't think as much today because there is so much versatility in the game, so many different guys can do so many different things. I think that versatility certainly can make you deeper but it can also make guys expendable if you can't do the job that you're signed to do. Matt Judon is signed to rush the passer. If he can't rush the passer, the need dries up. Now that's on a football sense. The need for leadership, the need for veteran mentorship still exists and will probably always exist. That kind of then situation would fall to a guy like Jacoby Brissett, would probably fall to the head coach and Gerrod Mail. It would fall to the veteran people who have been around the game for a number of years, more so than the players on the field. I feel like the Patriots initially wanted to and my guess is that that they're doing this. Bring him back with an augmented deal, play on the last year, give him. You can add some incentives to the deal where you can still play on it and it won't hurt your overall cap. They've still got a little bit of money to play with. I think they're like ninth in money spent in the NFL after this off season, which there still gives them a little bit of breathing room, and I think they'll give him every opportunity to reach those incentives, but if he doesn't get closed, then the need will dwindle.
Speaker 22: So to add to you on that with the cap space, I was seeing that the Patriots do have the second most cap space in the NFL yep with I think around fifty three million right now. So if the Patriots really wanted to sign Matt Judon again, I feel like they would have already done it. They're they're trying to see probably during this training camp, is he really gonna do we really still need him?
Speaker 2: That he said the right things today, then didn't he.
Speaker 26: Yes, yes he did, Okay, And I think that the Patriots are also in this this rebuild state.
Speaker 2: A whole other topic.
Speaker 26: You know, we we have all these young people and we're building them up to be as good as Matt one day.
Speaker 2: You have to you have to have to. And that's part of the reason. I mean that does add to some of the need because if you're signing these other veteran players in the off season, well why not Judon. Well, but Judon's in a little bit of a category. Number one, he's older. Number two, he's got to he had a heavier contre. Number three, he's coming off you know, an injury that knocked him out for much of the year. And so to me, if I'm looking at it strictly from a money since, I'd go to Matt and I'd say, look, you know, we want you here, we want you to be a part of this, but we you know, paid you a lot of money last year and you lasted what three four games, So you know, can you meet us halfway on some of this stuff, you know, and we'll try to give you enough to where you can earn the money and then you know, when the off season, you know, when the off season rolls around, hopefully you've built yourself up another the resume where you can go out and get another contract. And if not, hey we're still here and we'll still be an option. And I think that's really the way to play it. It seems to me, at least from his initial comments today, that you know, he's willing to play ball, and I think that is a huge positive step for the New England Pagers, not just the defense, but this team overall, if he's not gonna hold out. Because I was scared death, not literally, but you know what I mean. I was concerned that he wouldn't show it all today and then of course I heard last night that he was coming in. I know, you guys would get a chance to you probably see him a little bit on the field today, which you did. What were your impressions of what you saw on defense?
Speaker 13: I feel like he could have gotten a lot more in on defense.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 13: I did like what I saw, but I just feel like he didn't play as much as I expected him to play.
Speaker 27: Okay, Christopher, And for me sending as you know mcconnor said, I mean, the reps were lacking. I mean I saw a lot of times on the side. I mean for me, he definitely I think he did see some good things. I mean definitely over by you know, the second field I was at, I saw the linebacker group and just trying to teach him stuff.
Speaker 20: And look, he definitely looked really helpful.
Speaker 2: So you did see some you know, sort of coach speak out there front.
Speaker 27: Yeah, and for sure, and I saw some friend friendly ship. And obviously when he walked up, you know and came out of the field hang out with the fans and you know, obviously waited a couple of fans are screaming his name. And he's a good guy, you know, because you know, he's been you know, for his life. You know, he grew up with nine brothers and sisters and he's known how the team team works. So for him, it's not I'm not so concerned about him. I'm not concerned about the Patriots because, like Charlie said, why would to pay him now? Because they have all this cap space. Which another thing to add on is they play these guys on offense their job. So far, they haven't showed up, like there's a stat of him being them being the worst in the league offensively and defensively they're Karen the Low. They're making stops on these big time offensive teams, he said last year. So for me, they need Judon for that reason. Also, he's just a good presence of the team. So definitely, you know, if they're gonna sign him, yes, sign him now.
Speaker 2: So you would be for the sign in terms of the need overall. Yes, Connory, what about you?
Speaker 13: Yeah, I would want to sign him again. I just feel like now, especially after all we saw a training camp, he's becoming more of a mentor than a star player, which is absolutely what the Patriots need. Is they have a very young defense.
Speaker 26: Yeah, yeah, Ben, you know, first This was my very first time actually at a NFL training camp, and it was such an exciting place to be and it was an amazing opportunity. When I first there, I saw Matt playing with the fans. I saw him connecting. He has this chemistry with his teammates and with all of his fans. People were smiling, and on the field he was he was great. We were actually we were all watching together as a group. And I think that even though they are in this rebuilt state, having a mentor for these young, young, up and coming players is very important. And like you said, I agree with the incentives where hey, you can play, but you have to reach these goals to get your money. And I think that that's very important for him because he can stay. He doesn't want to leave, he doesn't want to be traded. However, he still needs to play well and still needs to reach these goals.
Speaker 2: Charlie, what were your observations today?
Speaker 10: Oh, so what I saw today? I saw him on the left field.
Speaker 22: He was getting after the quarterback, definitely, But I mean I barely got to see him play.
Speaker 10: He I didn't see much out of him.
Speaker 22: Others say he did, but I mean, I'm not really sure, I could have a wrong, but I definitely think right now the Patriots are looking at him as kind of in the back space because he he wants to get paid.
Speaker 10: That's obvious.
Speaker 22: But I just think I just think the Patriots are kind of looking past him. I feel like the Patriots are trying to find that new guy and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, can't disagree with that. Guys. Good job, thank you, all right, you got it. Hey, bud Light's a proud sponsor of Patriots playbook Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy. Bud Light the official beer sponsor of the New England Patriots. All Right, our thanks to my Dean College Sports broadcasting class. I'm gonna name them all one last time here. All right, We're gonna go right through the list here, Adelina Auben, Patrick Dacy, Eric Darcy, Dawson, Dbari, Nick Julinis, Benjamin Gilman, Jack Grossik, Charlie Hazen, Noah Hire, Noah Laspina, Mark Manfreda, Daniel Piasecki, have A Powell, Christopher Rosner, Chase Stevens, Connor Vital. Okay, you guys did a good job.
Speaker 10: Thank you, thank you, Thank you for the opportunity Godills.
Speaker 2: I'm not letting you step on that way, got his mic.
Speaker 26: Hello to my whole family watching out there too, my mom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, any shout outs, Yeah.
Speaker 13: I'd like to shout out my friends. George Kittle, I love you, Oh, Josh Allen.
Speaker 26: Also everybody at the need Him channel, Mike Kristen, Ashley, Alex.
Speaker 2: Project.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now we pissed off everybody else in the class because they didn't get to do shoutouts. Okay, see Nick is back there waving on the other side of the glass. Coach coach k thanks to Thanks to the Marine Matt Morrell for getting this all done as well. Our August edition August twenty eighth, officially August twenty eighth, So you want to tune in, then we may do a special one before the Washington game on the twenty first, but stay tuned to social media for that one. But we know we'll be with you back again on the twenty eighth of the very latest one More to go man, and then it's the regular season. Holy crap, it's here until next time.
Speaker 1: Thank you for downloading this podcast, Subscribe on Apple, Google Play, and everywhere else you listen. Like the show, Please rate and review us Listener comments and ratings help keep us high in the podcast rankings, so new listeners can find us.
Speaker 2: Be sure to check patriots dot com for more news and more podcasts.