Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Hoop, you had a great weekend, everybody. Gang's all here in the home studio ready to go. A lot to recap, and we get ready for a national title game coming up tonight. Although I'm listening to ESPN promoting this and it's David versus Goliath. Huh, excuse me? Notre Dame a David. I don't think so. Now you might look at the point spread and say eight eight and a half. But Notre Dame one of the more storied, maybe the most storied franchise of all time in college football history, going against the Ohio State. So that'll be coming up tonight. We're going to talk to Ryan Clark of the Mothership. His son plays for Notre Dame. He's a defensive back. He'll be playing in the National title game tonight, so he'll join us a little double duty with a father watching his son, but also we'll recap some of the football with him Steve Young, the Hall of Famer. A little bit later on Best and Worst of the Weekend. We will give you hours your phone calls always welcome eight seven to seven to three. DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com Twitter handle at DP show, and we say good morning if you're watching on Peacock, our streaming partner, and hello to our radio affiliates around the country. So Notre Dame versus Ohio State Chiefs handled the Texans, Commanders shock the Lions, Eagles hold off the Rams, and the Bills hold off the Ravens. Also the head coaching vacancies that will change probably this week. Bear's Cowboys, Jets, Jags, Raiders, Saints. Couldn't help but think about the Cowboys over the weekend, certainly when you see that the Eagles and Commanders are facing each other in the NFC title game. Also you have Dan Quinn, who was defensive coordinator with the Cowboys, who's with the Commanders. And also Kellen Moore, who was an offensive coordinator for the Cowboys, the offensive coordinator for the Eagles. Do they interview Kellen Moore? They gonna Well, if they do, they have to wait a little while here. But the fact that you had him and you had Dan Quinn, you let both get out of the building and you're still looking for a head coach feels like I don't have any information on this. It feels like we're starting to see the temperature on Dion going to Dallas lower a little bit.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 2: I think it was nice, it was fun, and everybody grabbed it, ran with it and speculated. But it feels like maybe that's been tempered just a little bit. So we'll keep an eye on what could happen this week now with Ben Jonson and Aaron Glenn, the coordinators with the Lions available to do interviews, have a poll question, play of the day, stat of the day, all of that forthcoming, and the early conference championship betting lines. According to DraftKings, the Commanders are getting five and a half against the Eagles. The Bills are getting one and a half against the Chiefs. I also found this interesting, the best odds to win the Super Bowl. Well, I'm not so prized at this. I think the Eagles had been the best team in football for quite some time. Then it's the Chiefs Bills Commanders a distant fourth here, But the early odds to win the Super Bowl MVP. It's two players who have the best dods. If you said Patrick Mahomes, you'd be correct, and if you said Josh Allen, you would be correct. Both can't be in the Super Bowl, but they both have the best odds, followed by Jalen Hurts, Saquon Barkley, and Jaden Daniels. This was really a Saquon Barkley weekend. In a Jaden Daniels weekend. Now we can talk about what happened with the Bills and the Ravens, with Lamar and Mark Andrews, the Bills defense holding up when they needed to, the Eagles holding off the Rams. Chiefs against the Texans. Yes, there's going to be conversation. Patrick Mahomes gets all the calls. He doesn't, but I think because they're always on National TV, when he does get a call, it stands out more than anybody else. Michael Jordan got calls, Lebron got calls. This has happened before. Tom Brady got calls, at least in our minds. You say they get all the breaks. Well, these games are always in front of us. Therefore, when you see something like this, you remember it's kind of burnt into our brains here. But the chiefs of the Texans, and I know the Texans there, you know they're complaining about we had to beat the officials. If that's your mindset going into a game against Patrick Mahomes feels like you're kind of defeated. Hey, we knew we had to beat the referees as well. Well, you might have had to beat the referees, but it would have helped if you kept the Chiefs from beating up your quarterback. You had over one hundred yards more of total offense, You didn't have any turnovers. You have no excuses other than your excuses that you didn't take care of business. Did Mahomes get a call there or to yes, probably did so, Probably so, or at least the letter of the law with the NFL, But they had opportunities. You can't have your quarterback get pressured, hurried over twenty times and get sacked what eight times? I mean he was hit fourteen times. That's on you, not on the officiating, not on Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 1: The Chiefs do just enough.
Speaker 2: And you have to do just a little bit more, and you didn't do that. So I don't want to hear the complaining from the Texans. You had a great season, you had an odd season. You came back and you had impressive football there at the end of the season, But you guys lost the game. You had your opportunities in the red zone, don't miss kicks. I mean, there's a lot of blame that goes around. Let's not start with the officiating, start with yourself. The commander's shocking the Lions. That was one of those where wow, somebody better slow down Washington and they.
Speaker 1: Couldn't do it.
Speaker 2: And the Lions, you know, they did their part from the standpoint of they put up points and they had yardage, but you had turnovers.
Speaker 1: And that's the big difference.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: We saw this with Jared Goff, and we saw this with Sam Darnold, like you're like, okay, all right, hey, these guys are looking good and then they weren't looking good and then all of a sudden, we seem to regress back to yeah, kind of the same old Like, is this the ceiling for Jared Goff? Maybe they had a wonderful season and they had a lot of injuries to overcome, and man, was there some pain in Dan Campbell's voice after the loss.
Speaker 4: And you lose these games. Man, it's like the players, what they put into it. A lot of people don't know, you know, what they go through. You have to get up bodies, beaches, you know, mentally, start locked in on and do those things so long season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, tough because if you're a lines fan, some of you, probably a lot of you book flights to New Orleans, and I understand why you would, because he thought, all right, this is our We're the team of destiny. You start to believe that until you realize you're not the team of destiny. That might be Washington, might be Philadelphia, might be Kansas City, maybe it's Buffalo's turn this year. But these losses, I mean, this is what you take into the off season. Imagine you're Mark Andrews. You've been the security blanket for Lamar Jackson his entire career. All else fails, Mark Andrews is open. If you would have said to me last night at halftime, Hey, by the way, it's going to come down to Lamar throwing a pass to Mark Andrews. How do you feel about it? Game on the line, I'd see, yeah, love it. Of all the people that I would want with my hands on the ball, it would be him. Mark Andrews. Always reliable. Now you had the fumble where they punched the ball out. I don't know why he was trying to juke somebody to get more yards there, but he did. But it came down to the two point conversion and Lamar rolling out. Now, I said at the time, I know we have revisionist history a lot, but I wanted to see, and I've said this all year long. All I wanted to see is whatever was made Baltimore successful.
Speaker 1: They stayed with that in the postseason.
Speaker 2: I got Derrick Henry and I'm not using Derrick Henry at the end of the game. I would love to have had Lamar and Derrick Henry and say, you guys pick your poison, try to stop one of us, and they didn't do it. Here is Lamar after the game talking about turnovers.
Speaker 5: It's a team effort, the buzzing his behind, making places happening out down that SPF four US came up short. And like I've been saying all season, every time we had situations like this, turnovers plaif fattor Pennanty is plaff fattor today twelve tonight the turnover had it, you know, and that's why we lost the game, because as you can see, moving the ball wonderfully is hold on to the ball.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry for my language, car No.
Speaker 1: I'm talking Derreck Henry had sixteen carries.
Speaker 2: I thought, in this kind of game against that defense, at least twenty twenty five carries. I don't know what the downside is with that. You've been this guy ran for nineteen hundred yards, so it's not like you go, hey, you.
Speaker 1: Know what, we're thinking about doing something different.
Speaker 2: This is what you did. He averaged five and a half yards per carry. Don't get out of your comfort zone. Do what you do well. I mean, Buffalo's defense is not formidable. It's it's a ben don't break defense. I thought that they would just go here, we go, hey, Derek's getting the ball, try to stop him, or you have Lamar as well. But look, you get in these moments and it's one play or two plays, and that's your season. Here, this is what it sounded like last night. With the potential game tying two point conversion for the tie the two point conversion, Lamar takes a snap roll to the right, throws.
Speaker 6: Complete all he dropped it, Mark Andrews hit him in the wounds, and Mark Andrews.
Speaker 1: Dropped it as he fell into the end zone.
Speaker 7: One of the more surehanded players the Ravens in Raven's history, dropped it, hitting right in the hands.
Speaker 2: Yep, I think and even Jim Nants thought that he had caught it just because of the angle there. And it's Mark Andrews because he should have caught it. Does it come down to him?
Speaker 1: Yes? It does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that play extends, extends the game and extends their season.
Speaker 1: Is it the reason why they lost?
Speaker 2: No, but that will be the singular play that will look at that they and the other play will be when the ball got punched out because Josh Allen didn't play great. But what I loved about Josh Allen, and I preached this all year long, he's learning. He's learned how to play the position. He doesn't have to be superman. He doesn't have to try so much, try so hard, Fewer turnovers. That's how you win these games. Nothing fancy, just no mistakes. And that's the difference in this game.
Speaker 8: Yes, there was a point in time where the Ravens had the ball. It was first in goal from the two, and I don't know how you don't give Dereck Henry the bass four straight times, so there's no way you're keeping him from getting those two yards four straight times. And I don't know that they gave it to him once.
Speaker 2: Crazy to me, it did remind me of Marshawn Lynch, like they have to give it to him. The super Bowl's on the line, he's right there.
Speaker 1: Just run it in. Give it to this dude. What do you throwing it for?
Speaker 2: Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards for the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Speaking of stats, Pauline.
Speaker 9: Derrick Henry had five carries on that touchdown drive the Ravens had the third quarter, and the other eight drives that they had, he carried the ball eleven times. Yeah, I have to double check that stat of the day, stat of the day, that past stat of the day, stat of the day?
Speaker 1: Here comes that what's stat of the day.
Speaker 2: Creativity can be overrated sometimes, how time we just do something really simple, just simple. Don't have to you know, you don't have to do trickery, You don't have to be Ben Johnson in the lines.
Speaker 1: Just sometimes you just.
Speaker 2: Go here it comes and it's gonna hurt, yes, Tod, But then you can do that.
Speaker 10: And then if you get stopped and it doesn't work out, you know, there's gonna be people saying they knew that was going to happen. Why would you do the same thing that they're waiting for. The Eagles got away with it. Everyone knew Saquon Barkley was going to get the ball, and he destroyed them even though.
Speaker 1: They knew this was going to happen. But Todd, you just answered your own question. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't work. Obviously it didn't work for the Raves.
Speaker 10: Ilver thought like, oh, they'll never expect this.
Speaker 1: They think we're just going to.
Speaker 3: Have Lamar and Derek run the hole.
Speaker 2: When they stop him, we can have this conversation. They didn't stop him. It did not They knew that Saquon was going to run the ball. They couldn't stop him. And if I'm Buffalo, God, I know that one of those two is gonna run the ball. I just had to factor in the web. Like I was blown away. I kept going, God, this is really simple, isn't it. Why are they making it complicated? First Hour brought to you by the great folks at Maco. Most cars on the road could use a little TLC. At Mako, they bring your car back to life affordable. Ain't John's Light Collision Repairs get a free estimate today? Uh oh? Better get make a seeton. What's the poll question from the first hour of the program. Well, we got a few options here that we could start with. We could start with who had the best weekend? We start with who had the worst weekend? We can start with who Is that a tougher loss for the Lions of the Ravens.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It feels like it's the Lions, Like I can hear it in Dan Campbell's voice. I don't know if John Harbaugh's voice. Can you play John Harball talking about Mark Andrews.
Speaker 1: Let me hear his voice.
Speaker 7: There's nobody that has more heart and cares more and fights more than Mark. We wouldn't be here without Mark Andrews.
Speaker 3: That's what you say to him.
Speaker 7: So now it's like anything else. I mean, destiny is a decision that you make, and sin is how you handle what comes in your life. Now, Marko handled fantastic like he always does, because because he's a high character person, he's a tough person and he's a good person.
Speaker 3: So proud of him's a I'm proud of all.
Speaker 2: The guys more of an uplifting Dan Campbell's like, I can't hide any of this.
Speaker 1: This emotion is deep deep.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 8: Hey, there was a moment just after halftime last night when John Harbaugh came out and he's doing the interview and they're like, hey, coach Joe, you know what are you going to say? Whatever this and that second half you can start pluck And they're like, what do you say to Lamar Jackson? You know, sort of like a rough first half he had two turnovers, or what do you say to Lamar Jackson going into the second half?
Speaker 1: He goes, I don't need to say anything to him. He knows what he's doing.
Speaker 11: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't need to say anything. It's Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 3: He's good.
Speaker 8: He knows that he shouldn't have done those two things, and he knows what he needs.
Speaker 1: To do moving forward.
Speaker 3: He's fine.
Speaker 2: It doesn't happen often, you know, And I had an unbelievable season. It's just like justin Herbert, what did he have three interceptions? And then he surpasses that Lamar Jackson doesn't, you know what four interceptions? They don't turn the ball over and then what do they do? Interception and I think maybe the re ran the wrong route and then you know, fumbles.
Speaker 3: It's just.
Speaker 2: It's so small, the margin between you win or you lose, and that's why Buffalo moved on. I don't think they tried to play any different than they had all season long, and it felt like Boldemort got away, just like last year. Just like last year. We'll take a break. Ryan Clark got a busy day, busy night, and busy week covering the NFL for the Mothership. His son is playing in the National title game for Notre Dame. We'll touch on both of those topics right after this Dan Patrick's Show. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine to noon Eastern or six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. Find your local station for The Danpatrick Show at Foxsports Radio dot com, or stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app by searching FSR, or stream us live on the Peacock Act.
Speaker 12: Hey, Steve Cavino and I'm Rich David, and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 1: I mean that says something, right, So.
Speaker 12: Check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 1: That's Covino and Rich age seven to seven, three DP show.
Speaker 2: Get to your phone calls as we always do every Monday, Best and Worst to the Weekend. It was a while back that I mentioned here's a wild card MVP candidate. Nobody would had brought his name up, but watching him play for his team and what he meant for his team. Jalen Carter and I mentioned it on the show that he's one of those that you don't think of because it's an offensive driven award. Jalen Carter probably made the biggest play of the game last night, and just that disruptive force there. And he's different because you don't have those kind that's he's like old school. You know his size, but he's a disruptor. And then obviously with Jayden Daniels, I said, he's not going to win the MVP, but if you talk about lifting up a culture, he changed a culture that had been there for two decades. He gave them hope. And it's not about numbers. It's just when he's on the field, he gives you hope you have a chance. And that's why I thought, I hope he's the top five MVP candidate, certainly with what he did in the regular season. All Right, we got football tonight, National Title game. Ryan Clark, you know, he's got a busy week coming up. You got to talk football, and then you got to talk about college football. His son is playing tonight in the National Title Game. He's also got NFL Live duties as well. How nervous are you?
Speaker 11: Oh, I'm fricker or right it is?
Speaker 13: You know, we got opportunity to play two super Bowls as a family. But these last few weeks have been absolutely amazing to you know, see your son sort of live a dream, see your son make a decision that was tough on him. In the offseason. He wanted to stay at ASU. He felt like that's where his loyalty should be.
Speaker 11: I can be honest.
Speaker 13: As parents, we thought it was best for him to leave, and we had those conversations, and when he kind of finally acquiesced to what we wanted and started to take trips, when he chose Notre Dame, I was elated. It was my dream school. But you know, in week two when they lose to NIU, and then as the season it goes along and Arizona State's playing extremely well, you're like, holy hell, did did we make a mistake? Did we push him into something that's not going to be positive for him? So for him to be in this moment, having beaten Georgia, having beaten Penn State, and now an opportunity, in my opinion, to play the most talented team in college football, but certainly the most talented group of wide receivers, knowing the way that they're going to play. I think it's just been an amazing year, amazing opportunity for him to show who he is. But as a team and Marcus Freeman and what that school has been, the tradition in which Notre Dame plays with each and every week. It has really been one of the best experiences of my athletic career. But to see him do it, I mean, as a parent, there's nothing better.
Speaker 2: More likely to talk to him more today or less likely to talk to him today.
Speaker 13: No, we don't change anything. VP Like that's the cool part about having been through it as a faller and my wife having been through it as a wife and now going through it as a mother, you know, like we understand what happens.
Speaker 11: He kind of dictates how much we talk, how much we see.
Speaker 13: Him on game weekends, and the one thing for him, he's like, pop, I don't want to change a lot because it's the championship. And so we got an opportunity to visit with him last night. Thousands of parents and families and friends were there also with their loved ones from the team, and he honestly stayed and talked to us longer than he normally does, so he got to see some family members he hadn't seen in the wild. But today he say he's going to wake up with no clock. He'll go to walk through and take a nap, study film, and then he'll be ready to go.
Speaker 11: We have a ritual and you know this will be the last time we do it.
Speaker 13: Always wait in the same exact spot for him before every game, And it started last year where I just write him a little note. I thought last year would be his last, but it ended up getting injured and coming back, and so this would be the last time.
Speaker 11: I get to do it.
Speaker 13: I'll do it from the field because it's obviously is PM game, But for me, it's like the It's the best part of the day.
Speaker 11: I get to help you.
Speaker 13: I get to tell him I love him, I get to hand him over a few words he gets to read before every game.
Speaker 11: And uh, you know this would be our last time doing it in college ball.
Speaker 1: Gonna have a lot of emotions there.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I'm a cry I didn't I didn't like as a player. Honestly, when we won the Super Bowl, I didn't cry when we lost the Super Bowl. I didn't cry. I've cried more in these last three weeks than I like to admit, which I am admitting to you now publicly. But I think that it just shows you how much it matters, how much different it is.
Speaker 2: But your son's going against some pretty good wide receivers. I would think you've had conversations on dad, what do you see?
Speaker 11: No, not really. It's been a cool evolution of his playing career. We were driving in the eighth grade.
Speaker 13: I forget where we were going, and he turns to me and he's like, Pop, i'd love to play a college sport. And at the time he loved basketball too. I was like, well, Saturday gonna be basketball. I've seen you do that, you know. I was like, you can play that to have fun. And I said, and it's going to have to be at defensive back. And he's like, well, why I play a wide receiver for two I was like, you know, I've been around those guys and I've watched him catch football.
Speaker 11: Like it's just different. I said, but I can help you be a defensive back.
Speaker 13: And he broke his ankle probably six months later playing basketball, and so we kind of had to rehab him back from that, get him prepared for a sophomore year, went to really competitive.
Speaker 11: High school, and I mean, man.
Speaker 13: We've slept at some of the worst hotels to go to some of these football camps.
Speaker 11: We have been on planes, we've driven, and it was just that journey.
Speaker 13: And so every high school game in sophomore year, I graded the film, I grade every play, and we'd watch it together.
Speaker 11: And then the next year I grade every play and he'd watch it by himself.
Speaker 13: And so it's kind of evolved whereas to know, he's his old man.
Speaker 11: When it comes to football. If you ask me a question, I'll answer it. A lot of times.
Speaker 13: He's telling me what he sees, he's telling me what he has to do, he's telling me how Al wants them to play.
Speaker 11: And I think it is just the coolest.
Speaker 3: Thing in the world.
Speaker 2: Is Ryan Clark in the Mothership won a Super Bowl with the Steelers and weekdays for Eastern on NFL Live, I was just talking about the Ravens all season long. I said, I don't care what you do during the regular season. I want to see what your game plan is going to be in the postseason. I want to see if you stay with what made you successful. You got a great running back, and you didn't stay with that running back in the second half, a running back who was really good in the second half, they had one drive, they score time. I'm just trying to understand the philosophy of the Ravens and why it seemed to change a little bit yesterday against the Buffalo defense that I thought you could run against.
Speaker 11: I thought early on.
Speaker 13: They didn't have the sort of success they wanted to have, And when you go throughout the season with Todd Munkin, that's what we see. You know, there are the games that Derrick Henry doesn't rush for one hundred yards, they don't win. And I think people try to correlate that to continuously or consistently giving Derrick Henry the ball. But I think also in those games he didn't start out with early success, and so without that early success, when they go to eleven personnel which is three wide receivers or twelve personnel, which.
Speaker 11: They love to use, Isaiah likely in that way it.
Speaker 13: Becomes a Justice Hill game a little bit in the past game, or it becomes a Lamar Jackson drop back pass game. And I think even with Derrick Henry not having early success. I thought in the second half he put his imprint on the game, Like, that's not why they lost, Right, you go to the first half, and it wasn't the interception by Lamar Jackson that think they went three and out after that. But it's the big fumble, the DeMar Hamlin tackle with the return by Von Miller. It's the fumble of Mark Andrews where you have an opportunity to score. And then as great as Mark Andrews is, we all expect him to catch that pass on the two point conversion, and so yes, I think the Derrick Henry piece of it is huge, But I thought he did enough in the second half to help his team. I thought Todd Munkin turned to him in the right situations and during the right scenarios. But it's about making plays. When Bernard punches that ball out from Mark Andrews, that's making the play. Mark Andrews didn't just drop that, and then obviously you have to catch the ball on the two point conversion as well.
Speaker 2: Is Josh Allen consciously more cautious or like a where like situational football We always talk about that, but he just seems like, hey, I normally would try to do a little more. Feels like he's got maybe a seat belt on and it's a wise thing. Is that conscious?
Speaker 11: Yeah? And you know, I don't even know, you know, DP.
Speaker 13: I don't want to call it a seat belt because people will say or they'll think it's a negative thing.
Speaker 11: And what you're saying is true. It's positive.
Speaker 13: He understands, let's not go lose the game right. When people talk about him not winning the MVP last year, they always point to his stats, saying how much.
Speaker 11: Better they were than Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 13: But he also had eighteen interceptions and that was a way to hurt his team. This year, he cut that number down tremendously. But when you watch him, he's taking what the defense gives him. If it's a third and four, he has no problem only getting five yards, only getting six yards. He's not trying to take the shots down the field. He's playing with the level of efficiency and impatience.
Speaker 11: That matters. But to me, also like a joy of not.
Speaker 13: Being sort of forced into doing certain things to get people the ball, not doing certain things to prove a point. He seems extremely relaxed and comfortable in who he is and who he's playing with and because of that efficiency, because of that patience, because being of playing risk averse, that's why this team wins this football game.
Speaker 11: One team turns the ball over, the other team doesn't.
Speaker 2: More surprised the Ravens lost, or the Lions lost.
Speaker 13: Lions Lions, And it's just like this weird thing because when you think about all the defensive players the.
Speaker 11: Lions have lost, it makes total sense.
Speaker 13: Amik Robinson, who have been playing well on the outside, he gets hurt very early on in that game, and so it's not one of those things. Oh, you know, there isn't a reason why they couldn't get stops defensively, but they had been losing all those people the entire year. You know, most of those players weren't available against Minnesota when they took them to the woodshed.
Speaker 11: And a winner take all game in.
Speaker 13: The last week of the season, and so it was surprising to see just how bad they were defensively, but also the turnovers and interceptions by Jared Golf which truly caused them the game, because when you think of some of the games they had to win down the stretch without those injuries, it was because the offense was unstoppable and offense protected the ball.
Speaker 11: They didn't do those things against Washington, and it cost them.
Speaker 2: The public perception, national perception is Mahomes gets calls that other quarterbacks don't get. As a former defensive player, your thoughts on that topic.
Speaker 13: Well, I think a lot of quarterbacks get calls that they shouldn't get, right. I think there is a conscious effort to protect quarterbacks at all costs, and.
Speaker 11: Officials are humans, then they just are like they know which ones are different. We felt the same way about Tom Brady, right, and we weren't wrong. Think about it.
Speaker 13: When Tom Brady gets hurt in the first game of the two thousand and eight season, there's an entire rule built the round the way he got hurt, right, which still stands today. You can't hit quarterbacks below the knee, and so there are these quarterbacks that are treated differently.
Speaker 11: I think when you see it on.
Speaker 13: Display at in such a large stage in slow motion, it feels to us like, Okay, that's just a bad call where they're cheating from Mahomes. But the Will Anderson play, we look at it and we go in slow motion like, yeah, he definitely didn't hit him in the head.
Speaker 11: When it's happening in real time? What is the official seat? Right?
Speaker 13: You go back to Sam Donald to get in his face mask, like basically take it off against the Rams. Throughout the season, we're like, well, how you miss that? So maybe that's one of those things with Mahomes. The one that paid me the most was when he's running around, he doesn't really slide, he just kind of gives himself up and these guys are trying to tackle him. He's playing freaking dipsy do with the line on the outside and jumping around and cutting back in and holding the football.
Speaker 11: You can't call that.
Speaker 13: You can't give them fifteen yards and you can't give them an extra set of dollars and they end up scoring a touchdown on that drive that essentially puts makes it a two score game. Those calls have to be reviewable. If you don't want to review him during the season, that's fine. But you can't put a team like the Houston Texas that's scrapping and scraping and clawing to stay in the game with the two time defending Super Bowl champions in that sort of situation to where you can visibly see Demico Ryans biting his tongue after the.
Speaker 11: Game to not say he felt cheated.
Speaker 2: I don't know if this analogy works for you, but later in Floyd Mayweather's career, it wasn't about trying to knock you out.
Speaker 1: He was just going to play defense.
Speaker 2: You've ounce smart you, Patrick, Mahomes is not blowing you away with stats. This isn't forty five to fifty touchdown passes. It's a I'm just going to to kind of spar with you, and then you're gonna make one or two mistakes, you leave Kelsey open, We're gonna score. You know, my defense is really the calling card of this team. I don't know if you see that, but I was kind of feeling like Mahomes at times doesn't seem like he's like, all I gotta worry. It's you know, those those times when I do have to worry, then he always delivers.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think that's I think that's the key with him right now.
Speaker 13: This man has shown up so many times in critical situational football moments that he expects to.
Speaker 11: His team expects him to, hell the other team expects him to And.
Speaker 13: When we saw him get into trouble, was trying to relive those forty five fifty touchdown days without having forty five fifty touchdown people.
Speaker 11: To throw it too.
Speaker 13: Yeah, you know, and I think he's had to make that adjustment. I mean, Dan, you know, like we all have an ego, right, Like we all feel like we're good at certain things and we want to be sort of seen and perceived that way. And for Patrick Mahomes, he was perceived and seen as the best.
Speaker 11: Quarterback on Earth.
Speaker 13: And you want to be able to push the ball down the field, you want to be able to show those.
Speaker 11: Skills, but right now, that's not the way they can win football games.
Speaker 13: And ultimately, as you begin to win football games and you're no longer having sort of the statistical output that you used to have, but people are still saying, yeah, but you're the guy, right, Yeah, he doesn't. He won't win the MVP.
Speaker 11: This year, but everybody's chasing him.
Speaker 13: You start to realize that actually winning is more important than anything, and that's what he's doing.
Speaker 1: Are you sitting tonight watching this game?
Speaker 13: So I didn't sit the entire second half of the Penn State. I stood up the entire game, and so I don't know. I like to call myself like a calm dad, because I really am. Most part high school. I didn't say much Throughout all of his years in college, I didn't say much. I just kind of set off with myself and watched the games. But it's been impossible for Georgia. It was impossible for Penn State. Uh, and it'll probably be impossible for Ohio State tonight. I mean, hell, what I'm saving it for. This is my last day as a college football dad. Anyway, good luck to mom too. I mean, yeah, she the second half of Penn State. She just cleaned out her email, she said. She said, Uh, she's like, I can't watch anymore, Like this game has my Like her her watch kept telling her her heart rate.
Speaker 11: Was high, and so she's like, yeah, I'm gonna clean out my emails. And so I don't think she has any emails.
Speaker 13: To clean out tonight, Dan, So maybe I'll just give her my phone because I have like eleven thousand underregulars.
Speaker 2: Oh, you're going to be a mess, hopefully in a good way. Hopefully I'm messing a good way.
Speaker 1: Europe.
Speaker 13: You know, you know what's crazy, Dad, Like at the end of the game, you love all those moments, all those tense moments, all those stressful moments, because you win. If you don't win, then it's just three and a half hours of your life. You know that you felt like you were going puke.
Speaker 1: Good look. Thanks for joining us, Ryan Man, thank you so much.
Speaker 11: Day every great day.
Speaker 2: That's Ryan Clark, his son Jordan's safety for Notre Dame. It's Ohio State and Notre Dame in the title game.
Speaker 1: We'll come back.
Speaker 2: We got our play of the day, your phone calls, best and worst of the weekend, Steve Young, next hour. We're back after this. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app. Stat of the Day has always brought you by Panini America Official trading cards to The Dan Patrick Show. Last time two NFC East teams met in the conference championship game nineteen eighty six. That's when the Giants meet the beat the then Redskins seventeen to nothing. So same division opponents in a conference championship game since two thousand you had the Rams and Niners in twenty twenty one, Seahawks Niners in twenty thirteen, Packers Bears twenty ten, and then two thousand and eight the Steelers against the Ravens. Hall of Famer Steve Young back on the program, I was wondering. You grew up on the East Coast in Connecticut, so you're familiar with snow, but playing day, didn't you have a game when you were with Tampa Bay you played Green Bay in a snowstorm?
Speaker 1: Does that sound right? Man?
Speaker 6: Come on, that's the lowest attendance in the history at lambeau.
Speaker 3: Field because no one could get to the field.
Speaker 6: There's a snowplow, two snowplows in front of the bus from the from the hotel, and the only people that came to the game, literally were people who snowshoot in or snowmobile. Outside of lambeau Field was like three hundred snowmobiles.
Speaker 3: Is how the game went.
Speaker 6: We were wearing white, and we didn't wear Of course, we forgot all the winter gear, so I wore Everyone's wearing their suits underneath their clothes like anything you get a hold of they were wearing and we were wearing white. I go out there and play, and I couldn't see anything. My second game as an NFL pro, I'm like, Bro, I can't I don't know where anybody is.
Speaker 3: And I thought for a little while that I wouldn't complete a pass. Dad. It was I. It was in the second quarter. I'm like, I don't want to be the first player in the history of the NFL that didn't complete a pass.
Speaker 11: Hold it.
Speaker 3: So I had James Wilder by running back.
Speaker 6: I was like, James, look, I got to complete a pass, bro, So I'm going to drop back.
Speaker 3: Just come in front of me and I'm going to shovel it to you. And you can look in the stats.
Speaker 6: I think the first half I was two for fourteen for minus three yards.
Speaker 2: You had eight completions I think, and six were to James Wilder in that game.
Speaker 6: Because I could see James was like he was close to me. He would scream at me like I could hear him. I could hear him, so I knew that he was close.
Speaker 2: Well, isn't an advantage for the offense in weather like that?
Speaker 6: I think it is because anytime it's slippery or then you know, you know where you're going and the defense doesn't it makes you know, obviously the mistakes are bigger because the footing. And yes, I thought, as long as you have a quarterback that can that can mut it, that's a huge I think it's a huge advantage.
Speaker 1: Give me the game that kind of puzzled you this weekend.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, obviously the Commanders.
Speaker 6: What I loved about what they did was they went into a you know, tough place, number one seed, and they just ripped it right.
Speaker 3: And they didn't wait around, they didn't wonder, they didn't kind of feel it out.
Speaker 6: That playoff football is about taking it from bloody hands, and so if you're going to do it, especially in those in that situation, you've got to run it out.
Speaker 3: And and what I mean.
Speaker 6: That's all they did is they just ran it right out to the fourth quarter and and and the Lions is that's what playoff football is amazing. You don't realize how like baseball, basketball, it takes a week and a half to figure out who's gonna win a series. In football, you've literally in a half you can lose it all in many ways. The Ravens in the first half, a couple of turnovers. You know, am I really gonna win? A playoff game on the road with two turnovers in the first half, even in a halftime, you got to wonder to yourself, have I already blown it?
Speaker 3: And it's a tough spot.
Speaker 2: But I brought this up with Ryan Clark of ESPN Last Hour, and I said to Ryan, is Josh Allen consciously trying not to do too many things like put on the cape?
Speaker 1: I don't can as a quarterback?
Speaker 2: Can you consciously think about don't try to do too much like you've done before?
Speaker 6: Dan, That is the art of quarterbacking exactly. If you can't do that, you won't be great. And I think that's what Patrick Mahomes has moved into, That's what Josh has moved into a place where they can be Superman, and they can be Superman almost every play. And you remember early in Patrick's career and Josh even as of last year, they put on the Superman cape so much that you actually can't. It doesn't work, It blows up on you. And so you either figure out how to become a very sophisticated passer in the pocket, get everything you can out of the play, and then be patient and recognize where the spots are where you can be Superman and where you can't be because you can't be every play. And I give both of them tremendous credit and maturity and how to figure out because in the game you have to have legs. In this game, you have to be able to threaten the line of scrimmage. You're going to cut touch the ball eighty plus times a game, every time you touch the ball as a quarterback, you have to be able.
Speaker 3: To threaten the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 6: Doesn't mean you do it, but the threat has to be there because it's so You've saw it all weekend. How many yards are there free yards for quarterbacks? Touchdowns, first downs? And if you don't have that ability, you are behind the game. Jared Goff behind the game. He has to throw his way down there all the time. And you saw when you have to throw your way down there all the time, it wear's out where the all other guys they can get on their stuffs. The field, threat, the line of scrimmage, threat, line of scrimmage, put defense on their back. Uh, it's a it's a huge difference. So yes, Josh Allen, understanding that the Superman cape comes.
Speaker 3: And goes is the maturity of Josh Allen.
Speaker 1: Where does composure come from?
Speaker 6: Well, in some ways, you're you know, it's like a gift from heaven, right like you you have a way of dealing with you know, I Adrenaline comes into your body and most human beings, it shrinks your brain, you get tight, you sweat you and sometimes things get tight and people respond opposite, like your heartbeat goes slower, you kind of calm down. And and those are the guys that you know, those are the greats. And and composure is something that you you know, you have that kind of gift from heaven, and then you also develop it. You develop it through experience. Now, Patrick Mahomes showed up in the NFL first game. I covered them on Monday night. I'm standing on the sidelines and the dude is sprinting right towards me full speed. Guy's chasing him down for the Denver Broncos. And like you know in the NFL, you don't you know, I mean, it's it's crazy speed. The game's played at and he's he throws it lefty and you could see as he's coming he's not. The adrenaline is running, but he's not like he's just kind of checking out like he's in his backyard and kind of figuring out, Okay, what can I do here?
Speaker 3: What can I do? You know what?
Speaker 6: Maybe I'll try this. And that's how he that composure was God given and he showed up with it. And I also think for him, particularly when you have a professional athlete, Dad grew up with a certain mentality that most of us have to go to the NFL and have to work through the composure thing. I think he kind of showed up that. I think Peyton Mannahan the same kind of spirit.
Speaker 1: But explain Jade and Daniels.
Speaker 6: So I'm telling you just did some people respond and a presence under pressure opposite of what most humans do. It's it's it's irrational to the human experience. But some guys just and that's why they're great. And great quarterbacks generally have this ability as the as things use look quarter that's the filter for quarterbacks. How many quarterbacks you see when it gets tight, they oh my gosh. And then the game gets smaller, they don't do as much. Their athleticism starts to disappear, their mind starts to speed up, and they can't process the way they did.
Speaker 3: And some people are just built different, and he's built that different.
Speaker 6: You can see it and uh in today's game, he is the ultimate prototype. He is threatening line of scrimmage every play and can as he learns, he'll get he'll figure out. You know, some of the things we just talked about Superman Cape, but he starts it, threatens it every every every play and with a with an innovative play caller.
Speaker 3: And you've talked, well, you don't have to talk about this, but I'd like to say half.
Speaker 6: The league has an innovative play caller who understands the game has changed that there's more space. How do you deploy people out in the space is not like twenty fifteen? And how many teams in this league, Dan, I have stretched my eyeballs out. We're still running plays from twenty fifteen and thinking, oh.
Speaker 3: This is the way we used to do it. We were really good.
Speaker 6: We're like, bro, those days are over. You give me an innovative play caller. Cliff Kingsbury is amazing innovation. You saw some of the cool plays over the weekend. People are coming up with crazy stuff that's amazing, and you can deploy it in this way because the game has changed. The field is bigger, and then Jayden can just fill it all up and it's fun to watch. And look, if I'm the Commanders, I'm going to Philadelphia on a championship weekend, I'm going to run it out just like it did against the Lions. Like, just run them out of the building. They cannot stay up with them. They cannot score forty, they can't go thirty five, they can't score thirty. So just run it out and let them chase you.
Speaker 3: That's the way I would do it.
Speaker 2: Steve Young, hall of Famer joining us, we get caught up as members of the media, which you were a member of the media, but also Hall of Famer. We look at postseason success at the quarterbacking position, whether it's fair or not. We look at that and here's Lamar Jackson probably on the verge of a third MVP, and then he bounds out again. How important is postseason success maybe for the legacy of Lamar Jackson In the end.
Speaker 3: We have to live it out, Dan, you know you have to. You just it's the fact. It's a percept. Look, perception is nine tenths of the law.
Speaker 6: It used to be possession in law school, but perception is nine tents of the law. In other words, if that's the way that everyone wants to respond to Super Bowls, then you better get on board. And I think Lamar is on board with that. You can see it, you can see the pain.
Speaker 3: I love that guy. I think he's an amazing football player.
Speaker 6: And as he gets to become a more sophisticated passer and the Ravens lean in, I appreciate the hybrid they're leaving the Harbaugh run the ball, play great defense, like that's twenty fifteen. Like you I've got to enter into this new space that I think the Ravens have done in new play caller, and you know, and I think he's making the transition. And he's he is the most dangerous player in the field almost every time except for you know, when he run plumbs into Patrick or runs into Josh.
Speaker 3: And so the pain is real, the reality is real.
Speaker 6: You're not gonna you're not gonna you're not gonna have the perception of the of who you are as an athlete without it.
Speaker 3: And that's just the way it is. And he's and you can see it in him.
Speaker 6: He goes through the regular season and they run through the rank and file of the NFL ravens over and over and over again, and you can see it this year.
Speaker 3: He was like, yeah, yeah, yeah, whatever, whatever, I'll see in January. I'll see in January. I'll see in January. You want to be Ambach, Yeah, I'll see in January.
Speaker 6: I don't care. I don't care. And so that's why yesterday was particularly painful. And and like he said, after the game, what a stud When you know market dropped the ball and everyone say, well, that's the game, then he's like, no, bro, I had two turnovers. I can't turn the ball over. And that's the thing about the play a football. They didn't what they turned over the ball three times forty interce like that had been amazing, and then all of a sudden, you know, mistakes, mistakes, mistakes, three turnovers and like I said, you got to take it from bloody hands in the playoffs and especially in the super Bowl and the and the Bills.
Speaker 1: Did you're talking about perception.
Speaker 2: The perception is that the officials play favorite, certainly with Patrick.
Speaker 1: Mahomes consciously, subconsciously.
Speaker 6: No, I honestly I think Pat is a you know, hon is he superman when he wants to?
Speaker 3: And he's figured that out. He's an artist, and look, you.
Speaker 6: Can say he should just you shouldn't use the art of the presence of mind that he has on the field to lure people into trouble.
Speaker 3: He's like the kid down the streets like, hey, let's go down here, and you know this will be fun.
Speaker 11: Try it.
Speaker 3: You know, like no, And he lures officials into the same way. I think in so many ways.
Speaker 6: He's just you have to you might you might say I hate Patrick Mahomes because he gets preferential retreatment.
Speaker 3: He got trust me on this.
Speaker 6: Now he's not the officials get get graded. All they're thinking is I want to get it right. I want to get it right because I mean to get graded in the NFL and I want to run the super Bowl and I want to I want to have a playoff game. Like That's all that's going through their minds. They are not thinking, oh wow, I got to help the Chiefs out. Now everyone on the outside is like, why are they opened out the chiefs? Patrick has he's like kid that lures you like he he's even lures in the officials because he's like that.
Speaker 3: He has a way of giving a sense that that was that was a foul.
Speaker 2: Did you get preferential treat Did you in Montana get preferential treatment?
Speaker 6: It's a different time, Dan, You might say preferential treatment means that they didn't really get to l w you in the growing in the way. Rather they got you in the they got you in the chest. You know what I mean, Like, no, that's a press mental treatment. Is that they didn't actually draw blood, like hey, no blood this time, So that's good.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 6: I think I think you had you had officials that your friends, you know what I mean, like like you got to Jerry, Mark Bright and and and uh, just guys that you've ran into all the time in all the big games, and you had conversations all the times.
Speaker 3: Like I remember Jerry was great because you throw a ball.
Speaker 6: It was tough ball, you know, led the receiver open, you know, in traffic, and he's you'd get up.
Speaker 3: From getting pounded and goes, hey that's a good ball, nice.
Speaker 1: Throw, you know, like he was a fan.
Speaker 2: Did you ever get an official gift? No, of course, like you paused there for a moment, like a jersey a football.
Speaker 6: Did you ever know Jim Tunney was my favorite? But like no, you know I would I have never other than Jim I spoke. He became a friend later.
Speaker 1: The area.
Speaker 6: Uh, and you know the story when one of the officials I did get proferential treatment briefly because his daughter. He says, you know, you see, he's in law school and when I was going to law school too, and he's like, you guys should go.
Speaker 3: On a date, you know.
Speaker 6: And I'm like, all right, fine, you know, and uh, and then I got foul.
Speaker 3: I mean, I got hit and he threw the flag and he says, she likes Mexican, you know, and like, let's miss up.
Speaker 1: So wait a minute. If it came out you were.
Speaker 3: Dating, dive into this one.
Speaker 2: If you were not dating, I'm not bringing up Marie Osmon. How long did you date Marie Osman?
Speaker 3: Well, we had a couple of dates.
Speaker 2: Bro, you're scrambling now, you're not getting preferential treatment.
Speaker 11: That's all right, that's what I do.
Speaker 3: That's one of the games. Come to me, Dan, It's twenty twenty five minutes my game.
Speaker 1: So just don't wait.
Speaker 11: Man.
Speaker 2: Imagine if it came out that Josh Allen was dating an official's daughter, you were dading, you.
Speaker 3: Two gun, then you could really complain. Then you could really complain instead.
Speaker 2: Of just we didn't know about it because we didn't know that you went out with somebody to get preferential treatment.
Speaker 1: You know what super Bowls certainted. Now.
Speaker 3: I did never go out stop, it didn't happen.
Speaker 11: Relax.
Speaker 6: It was just a fun moment that I was trying to like lighten the moment when you're hearing a tough show.
Speaker 3: I'm just trying to you know, bring some you know, ballast to this thing. Man.
Speaker 2: You know what, now you've now now you know how the Chargers felt in the Super Bowl when you were lighting them up and you never ever stopped throwing the football.
Speaker 3: Steve Right, Hey, hey it was.
Speaker 6: It was Mike Shannan told me pregame eight touchdowns, we're throwing eight.
Speaker 3: Touchdown Really he did no, He looked at me right in the eye.
Speaker 1: Well you could have.
Speaker 6: See, you know how serious he is. He's like, he's Mike, let's go over it against Shanahan. So he was like, we were freaking and we were going over it again.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: Well, you know how long the Super Bowl is. It goes forever, right, and so finally he's like, let's go over it again. Let's go over again. Mike, I can't go over it again.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: I know you love to go over it again. I do too, but we can't go over it again. He goes, Okay, they touchdown.
Speaker 14: You know you were the leading rusher in that game too. Those are the days, Dan, Yeah, I know what it could have been. Remember when Shannon she came into halftime. You know what he did and he looked me dead in the eye and he went like this four and so that's halftime. So when they took me out with six, he was he was petted. But that's Mike.
Speaker 3: That's why Kyle's That's why Kyle's.
Speaker 6: Great, a great innovator and an amazing play caller, because he's like his dad.
Speaker 3: Like they like father, like son.
Speaker 6: That apple did not have fall fall from the tree because that Mike was. Mike was all about pounding people into absolute submission.
Speaker 3: And I loved it. I was amazing.
Speaker 1: And what did we learn today?
Speaker 2: Did we learn that Steve young career tainted it a little little bit, dated an official's daughter just to get preferential treatment. Okay, I mean I respect it. I mean that you're you're a winner, is what you are, Studd. Whatever it takes.
Speaker 3: I'm a Dodger, as you know. Yeah, that's that's what runs deep in the blood.
Speaker 2: Yes, yep, that baseball career. They're still talking about it.
Speaker 3: But I could have what I could have been, Dan.
Speaker 1: You were the shoheo Tani of Greenwich, Connecticut.
Speaker 3: What I could have been?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know how hard it is to be to beat your way out of the mead streets of Greenwich.
Speaker 1: You did it. You did it.
Speaker 3: That is not easy, bro.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how about a round of applause for Steve everything over time? You did it.
Speaker 3: Things are tough out here, man.
Speaker 1: No, no, somehow you you did it.
Speaker 3: We're very proud. We trudge along.
Speaker 2: So when you went to BYU, your BMW was used, like they didn't give you a new one.
Speaker 3: Bro, sixty five Oldsobil Dynamic eighty eight. My dad drove out.
Speaker 6: He's like, hey, you know, if you need a car, uh, you know, we got the old olds here that could you know?
Speaker 3: And then I'm like, I don't. I'm in Utah, that's thirty thousand miles away. He goes, I'll drive it out. You know, it'll be fine and.
Speaker 6: Great, young freaking drives it out, drives it across the country.
Speaker 3: I'm like Dad.
Speaker 6: That thing is you're not gonna get You're not gonna get off.
Speaker 3: The queen you know, the Queen's Expressway.
Speaker 6: You're not gonna, I mean, let alone, you know, getting over the throat to neck like you're.
Speaker 3: Long direction. Dad, I understand, don't worry.
Speaker 1: You're on a round. Just leave it alone, all right, all right, we're gonna go the long way. I hope you have a great day.
Speaker 3: You're the best, Dad.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Steve. That's uh, Steve Young referential treatment. Let's go out with the officials.
Speaker 11: Daughter.
Speaker 1: She likes Mexican food.