Speaker 1: Hello, it's Bowen.
Speaker 2: I for my episode had to choose Great Americans with Tina fe for our year end roundup. For reasons that go without saying. This was recorded the day after Ioadebris episode of SNL that she hosted, and that's context for what we talk about up top in terms of that night feeling like a bellhouse night, in terms of us being with all of our friends and celebrating each other and celebrating Io. And then it was so nice to have the next day be a debrief with the one and only Tina Fey herself to hear her perspective on this. She's obviously someone we look up to and also someone who you know, came up with her coterie of people in comedy in Chicago and New York. And of course it all culminates in Gosh, the number one single greatest I Don't Think So Honey of all time. Of course, it's I Don't Think So Honey bo Yang for sharing his real opinions on movies on this podcast. It all ends with that famous line, authenticity is dangerous and expensive. A lesson that I have learned over and over again this year is I'm sure you have as well it's a pretty universal axiom at this point. It applies to all of us. But this is just so much fun. We got to talk to theme parks, we got to talk old TV and everything great about Tina and everything great about the culture. She really is the north star for us and it was so so so fun to have her on. She was so good on this episode that even Vanity Fair named her I don't think so many as one of the best performances of twenty twenty four. We couldn't agree more here it is great Americans with Tina Fay.
Speaker 1: Look maher oh, I see you my own and look over there. How is that culture? Yes? Goodness, Wow, loves culture ding dong los culture is us calling back in back in tact tactile position. Talk to us.
Speaker 2: About the mozzarella stick number rock that you were working.
Speaker 1: So. I don't know why this was the answer to how I should end my night, but I get home, it's three thirty in the morning, I get stoned and order mozzarella sticks. Bad because I know I have to wake up. But let's say ten sort of mentally prepare and you know, clean really physically prepare for the podcast today and last night I'm ordering my Monzrelli sticks and I see it says six monzarel sticks, and in my mind that's not enough. And then this morning, when everything sort of settles, you think you didn't need one.
Speaker 2: That's the devil's math. That's sixth with Mozzarelli sticks.
Speaker 1: But I feel you, Dick, feels like nothing right.
Speaker 2: I think six is more than enough. Well, yeah, I ordered Mozzarelli sticks. This is the last time I ordered montzrel sticks. Was at Alma draft House what watching The Boy, The Boy and the Heron and I had to leave in the middle because of work call.
Speaker 1: Of a work call? Is that what you call violent?
Speaker 2: And it was not?
Speaker 1: What because I know you the second we both went in here today we both ran to the bathroom, and I know what that was.
Speaker 2: Was a work call. Okay, this is all to say I got six and I only finished four.
Speaker 1: That's a huge brag and an insult to me. No, it was ravenous last night for them. But last night was very celebratory and was very nice. Io did great, what an unbelievable performance.
Speaker 2: She had, very very fun.
Speaker 1: I mean I think about between twelve and fifteen people said this, and it just kind of kept getting kicked around. But yes, this is like the Bell House. This is like the Bell House. But it really was. It felt like a celebration.
Speaker 2: Was very nice. We made it proud of her. Now, what was your review of the Countess Cabaret?
Speaker 1: I'm still I saw the sheiks not because not necessarily because of the talent, but she was great. The Countess Luyanne as fifty four below was She certainly has star quality, but there's something that happens where she steps on stage and sort of everyone looks at each other and you go, we're getting blacked out. We're all drinking so much tonight.
Speaker 2: I asked you, was it like going to the Disney World character breakfast?
Speaker 1: It was not unlike that.
Speaker 2: It was like seeing Goofy come out while you're eating a Mickey shaped white cake.
Speaker 1: Let's say Minnie Mouse, let's become Annie. It's not saying Goofy comes out okay, no oh no, no, no, that's he's gonna want It's not what I was saying. If you're watching, if you're you're just saying lou had the impact of Goofy. Yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, not anything to do with the air get sucked out right. One hundred percent, like when Goofy walks in the room. It's like Nicole Kimmen and the Chanel number five commercial by Baz Luhrmann. It's just like, you know, do you know the commercial I'm talking about? I think so speaking of fragrances, I want you to smell me right here and tell me.
Speaker 2: What it is. Okay, go, you know what this is? By Rado?
Speaker 1: No, it's axe. Oh, so I have yesterday, I said about one. I'm like, I have no dealer in New York. I don't know what happened. My New York apartment has no deal order. And my mother was like, I want to get you something for Christmas. I said, don't. I don't want anything. She goes, okay, I'll get you a bunch of little small things. Ten axe deordorance, which is both a trigger to like high school locker room and also quite out of fashion.
Speaker 2: But that is like the timeless, enduring thing about suburban life is that you're never more than half a mile away from it from.
Speaker 1: An axe body spray, especially from Long Island. That's like a big culture axe body spray. Yes, and so I do. I am walking around and it's sort of like a little bit of having a little bit of how I am a little triggered, but also it's horny.
Speaker 2: It's horny.
Speaker 1: Well that's why I wanted you to smell me, to get your horned up for the episode. Speaking of getting horned up, speaking of horny, Speaking of horny, I think everyone's horny for well, first of all, Restless Leg Tour.
Speaker 2: We're talking eleven.
Speaker 1: Days at the Beacon, eleven days nights at the begin Yeah, I love my surprise. I'm like, well, of course, well.
Speaker 2: Of course, and it's the Beacon and New York. I think they're all sold out. But well, yeah, kind of elbow your way in.
Speaker 1: Are you going to sign the wall? Yes?
Speaker 3: Yes, and I mean obviously if you guys want to come.
Speaker 1: Oh the nineteenth nineteen.
Speaker 3: Thank you for doing the math real quick.
Speaker 1: I did the math and eighteenth Okay, wait, now we have to officially bring around because that can't be the entrance. Hold on, hold on, it was really so weak.
Speaker 2: No, no, not week, girls, I have us coming back on Netflix.
Speaker 1: Okay, thanks fucking god, because I had been wondering about that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's coming. Oh, March is going to be a big month for humanity and uh, mean Girls the musical of course the movie. Oh we're not calling it the musical, and.
Speaker 1: No, we're calling it Me Girls twenty twenty we're calling which I text you about it. I said ten times, I said, it's called Me and.
Speaker 2: Girls twenty twenty four mean girls. Eighth note in the negative space where the A is.
Speaker 1: Do you know what's funny this person created and start our favorite movie and our favorite show. Yeah, and I'm not even talking about Saturday Night Live, which also is in the top two of favorite show. Oh yeah, thirty Rock.
Speaker 2: Oh for sure.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine just go back in time and tell us in twenty sixteen when we started this, that day is going to be on the podcast, said.
Speaker 2: Tina fe is gonna be in the podcast.
Speaker 1: You know what I thought in the shower this morning, I thought, what did you think in the shower where you do your backside?
Speaker 2: And this is where this I thought. Worldwide Pants took down all of the t FA on Letterman interviews and those were my fucking comfort watches in college.
Speaker 1: I told you, though, that you could find it somewhere else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think Seth lied liar.
Speaker 1: Why they take them down?
Speaker 2: I think I think a Letterman wants to protect his content. I don't know, I can't possibly begin to understand. And then also, I mean so many things.
Speaker 1: You love her.
Speaker 2: You really love this person so much, don't you. I'm talking to you, the Surroyal you, the Royal you. Everyone. Welcome, gentlemen and the crew.
Speaker 1: By the way, this episode is directed by Christopher Nolan. It's Oppenheimer. The film is crazy. A lady needs a lot of lights and the gentleman a lot of lights blow out the Countess loo from Ladies Please. Are you familiar with the Countess flu Yes?
Speaker 3: That is that is the original sort of Real Housewives New York era. That was my era. I once chased Countess Luanne down the street on the Upper West Side because I was so. I was like, she's on the Upper west Side, the restaurant West that used to be there, And I was like, and I basically was like, I was like Countess and I was like, I work at NBC too, I'm a universal girl, work for university.
Speaker 1: We brushed elbows at the upfront. So wait, when you were watching Roney, like, were you were you sort of were you sort of like I'm Bethany, Like I'm like.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, No, I'm not bethany h way, no, thank you.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: I used to watch the season one. I used to really love, like season one. You guys were probably in middle school because it was before nobody was aware, no one was like working the camera yet nobody was, and it was just really I just wanted to see people's apartments.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 3: I wanted to see their apartments and make judgments. And I didn't need them to be fighting about stuff.
Speaker 1: No, I just wanted.
Speaker 3: And so who was it was? You know who I was obsessed with at that time was Alex mccordy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, essentially it had the show gone in a different direction, which was we just watched these people live their crazy lives and it wasn't like a conflict in the show. Yeah yeah, yeah, because people gravitated towards you know.
Speaker 2: That's so funny though, because I think Architectural Digest home tours of like scratched the itch or like taking over that little fascination we have of like people's homes and like that's fully been supplanted, right, and.
Speaker 3: Just be like just going and looking apartments. But remember when she was redoing her Brooklyn townhouse and Jill's aren came over and she's like, we're restoring this banish when she was like, honey, you don't have to save everything that's not a good. Bands like Jill's jill Zaren almost Yah.
Speaker 1: Who else wasn't that original Ramona and I just recently picked for some reason this was on. It was the fashion Show episode where Ramona walked with those crazy eyes and Jill is just dragging and just like killing it in the front row commedically, comedically, total, it was really on fire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they kind of buy like their second season, so this was not the phenomenon back then either. But it wasn't this thing where like they saw themselves for the first time on TV and then they got the work done.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Just like facially, she happens to everyone.
Speaker 3: I mean, you see yourself on TV and you go, oh no, breakdown, Oh no, what are we going to do about this?
Speaker 1: In my face all the time people see my face as that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, speaking of Universal, do you have any thoughts about this epic universe announced?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because we know you're a Disney gay like us.
Speaker 3: Well listen, I'm gonna check it out.
Speaker 1: Yea.
Speaker 3: My instinct, my gut instinct is oh honey, it's SNL mad TV that there's not the taste maker at the core defines the thing, right, and so Walt Disney.
Speaker 1: But I'll go, yeah, yeah, you're going to be there, but I'll go.
Speaker 2: And we all love we like mad TV and.
Speaker 3: They are amazing things that mattiv amazing, hilarious people came out of My TV. But the just wasn't that unifying core?
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally, Well what if I told you this? So on one of the announcements they said was that there's going to be a Frankenstein ride and the star of the pre show is Victoria Frankenstein, the great grand daughter of doctor.
Speaker 3: But is that the Diablo movie that's.
Speaker 2: I conflated this last week?
Speaker 1: Okay, a lot of girl Boss Frankenstein's happening right now in the culture. We have to differentiate.
Speaker 3: Universal is trying to use that understanding the Universal Monster's catalog and fun ways, and I'm enjoying that.
Speaker 1: If you went in there and said I'll play doctor Victoria Frankenstein, you first of all, you book.
Speaker 3: Media seventeen shows a week, seventeen nine minute shows a week, every day.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't even do the pre show? Would I do a cue that's what we mean the c C.
Speaker 3: I mean, listen in my heart of hearts, am I holding out for a Disney queue? Of course did I at one point try to volunteer me and Amy Poehler to do Sarah Palin and Hillary Clinton for the Hall of Presidents And they were.
Speaker 1: Like, we're good.
Speaker 3: Oh my well I only volunteered it to my friend who's like the guy, and I didn't call it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's Sam. It is a huge part of too. Oh my god, that makes me so happy we went there. But he loves you. I love him. I know you can tell it's a special relationship.
Speaker 3: It really is.
Speaker 1: The Disney relationship is a special relationship. And that's actually real Coature number eighty eight.
Speaker 2: The Disney relationship is a special relationship. God blessed Sam because Sam took us on guard to the Alexy Cosmic rewind no less than seven.
Speaker 3: Times, which is not medically advisable.
Speaker 1: No, you done it.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's beautiful, but I'm an age. Were like, I can do it once. Also, you don't not see a lot of protein spills outside guard, And just for clarity, that is vomit.
Speaker 1: Well, I've become that girl that's like when the part of the ride that makes people nauseous comes up, I'm like, keep looking at the planet. Keep looking at the planet, don't look to the side. You're gonna suck yourself up. And if you listen, you have your strategies. Yeah, I have my strategy. Yeah. Well I knew this about all of us, that we shared this, and that's that's why I bring it up. And that's why now correct me if I'm wrong. You've been on the Avatar flight of passage R of course. Don't you think that should be him in the pre show.
Speaker 2: Just explaining what the banchees are.
Speaker 1: You have the scientific gravitas to carry that pre show through.
Speaker 2: I don't want us to fully raise the middle finger to that guy.
Speaker 1: It's not about him. This is about you. This is about what's best for you to be in that pre shows define the.
Speaker 3: Guy that c and I don't know if this is a true story or a story that I made up for myself either way, but I feel like someone else was supposed to shoot that and then and something went wrong and they're.
Speaker 1: Like, you have to do it. You made that up.
Speaker 2: I think you made that up.
Speaker 1: Here's well, no, Sam isn't it great to have a resource. The Disney relationship is a special relationship. You go to that person for information like this, Can I tell.
Speaker 3: You a deep Disney nerdery thing? If it interests you, I could try to get you in on this.
Speaker 1: Let's do it.
Speaker 3: Okay, So have you ever done a voice at Pixar?
Speaker 1: A voice at Pixar?
Speaker 3: No, that's an oversight that needs to happen.
Speaker 1: Okay, good, Sure, Okay, I think you have. I got lucky enough to do one. Aa.
Speaker 3: But so the guy Pete doctor who runs Pixar, super nice guy, legend, the kindest, loveliest man, and he invited me in on this super nerdy thing that sometimes they do where they have they I guess they used to do it in persons during the pandemic. They were doing it over Zoom where they just have literally like someone found a case of like weird b roll building the park footage and they just play it like they haven't seen it, and it's just like from like nineteen seventy one, we're building the Haunted mansion and it's just like raw footage of nothing but like guys working. And then there's experts on who like they're all these imagineers who are talking about what it is.
Speaker 1: And then they just drink really and it's amazing.
Speaker 3: And because it happens on the West coast, if you're watching it East coast, it's like start it's like two in the morning and you put your laptop in your bed.
Speaker 1: Woh wow. But it's so cool. That was my dream, like until I found out it was mostly science and math and yeah, actually there's a lot of engineers at otherwise the people fly off and exactly, I need to reconnect with Sam.
Speaker 2: Oh. Sam was lovely. Sam was really well.
Speaker 1: I was a tour guide at Disney who is an icon and a legend and this is a big shout out to him. He's a great American.
Speaker 2: He's a great American. And then he said he was coming to see you, and Amy was it.
Speaker 1: He came to d C.
Speaker 3: He came the first weekend.
Speaker 2: Has been what's that like?
Speaker 3: The shows are so fun. I do hope you'll come to the begin I want to come, Yeah, please come, but it's like I'm I'm gonna, I'm coming. We have the best time. It's the two of us. We take you on our little journey if we can, and we usually always have like one special friend show up and we go to these cities. People are so lovely to come see us, and then we stay at a nice hotel.
Speaker 1: And I've said this before, but it is like we get up.
Speaker 3: Like the other night, I really did text Amy before a show and I was like, right before we went out, she was on the other side stage, was like, I'm getting excited about going to sleep because we do like we have so much fun. Like I'm also learning, like I love the part where we do the show. And I was like, I guess some people go on tour because they want to party after the show or whatever. They want to hook up. And I was like, I like the part where we do the show. And sometimes if we have a new thing and it works, I'm like that works. And then I go home and I wash my face and I like stand in silence facing a wall like I'm like a little.
Speaker 1: Like you let yourself like charge, and I'm like satisfied.
Speaker 2: But I think this is just a function of like time, And I will say for Matt and I it's exceptional if we go out after the show.
Speaker 1: I mean even yesterday, like we were in Bowen's dressing room like and Bowen comes in. He's like, all right, so the after party and we were all were like at the same time, like we don't know, we know it might it might be a quick drink that we're hung over from Lunn. But no, good, that's the difference. You still look really good.
Speaker 2: I put on concealer because today because the camera is because I'm just away from people.
Speaker 1: I love it. If I knew how to do my own concealer, I would do it. Is it as simple as that up? Kind of? I don't know. I tried.
Speaker 3: I tried to do my make up today and I probably will see this and be like, oh, it was like coming from a matine of playing missus love it. I'm I didn't get to my husband went I didn't get see it. I was touring, all right. Well, I try to use that rare beauty bluff, which is but it's so pigmented that then I do it and I'm like, I'm either fucking great.
Speaker 1: Or have you been? Have you checked in on the new Feud?
Speaker 3: I haven't watched it yet, but I think I will. I don't watch every part of the of the Murphy Verse, but that one I'm like, you might get me.
Speaker 1: I do feel.
Speaker 3: I was like, Okay, the pr is over time because there's so many articles now about IM, like, are we this is really what we're this top of top of mind in every paper?
Speaker 1: But yeah, it does seem interesting. It is a lot of fun to watch just because of the like atmosphere of it all. I will say, the entire story of it is just well, you know, Truman Capoti befriended these women and then you wrote an article and they never spoke to them again, and that's literally I'm kind of interested to see how it's going to be a whole limited series because even in the first episode you get it like they're not talking to him anymore, right, But then I'm thinking, like maybe every episode will be like a bottless episode and be getting more into the specifics of who these women were, which is going to be great. I need more Callista though.
Speaker 2: At this moment, I got three different line reads of Demi Moore calling Tom Hollander venomous.
Speaker 1: She with her whole chest gets to say a slur and it's really fun to watch her just let it rip. They really let dem go for it, and she goes, yes, yeah, I loved it.
Speaker 3: Well, I do you think that is you know that he is giving these actresses like he's making people's phones ring who maybe their phone wasn't ringing them.
Speaker 1: Molly Ringwold's like her phone rang off the hook for this.
Speaker 3: And you know what Molly Ringold has been doing in the meantime.
Speaker 1: Translating French book, translating French book.
Speaker 2: Yes, fly with Me. It's it's a really sad gay French novel.
Speaker 1: What. Yeah, she's really smart.
Speaker 2: She's very I believe that. No, she's incredible. Yeah, she's a very she's a great American.
Speaker 1: Well, one of my obsessions at this moment is Chloe seventy now that this has all been happening. And apparently Chloe simply broke down on the day where she had to shoot with Molly Ringwold because that was how much how Yeah, I don't know. That's uh huh. Chloe, who's like the coolest like you would imagine, it's like very unbothered about the whole thing. Ye. Actually in interviews, like I watched her on Jimmy the other night and she's very like like y'all, she's like like everybody, Oh, try I cry. I break down to Molly Ringwall just like you and me and everyone else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the shared I guess American experience. I'm kind of tying this back to a national sort of narrative.
Speaker 1: Well, she also was like they did this thing because, like, you know, she's obviously a fashion icon Chloe, and they were like looking back at all of her like iconic looks because she was like that, she had nothing nice to say about anything she ever wore. She's like, oh this, no, this, no, this no. And I was like, maybe that's what makes her such an icon.
Speaker 3: She also needs to keep looking. She didn't. She didn't just find a uniform and stick with it, never satisfied.
Speaker 2: Never have we found her uniforms.
Speaker 1: This is your uniform?
Speaker 2: Sure, okay, this is a cream collar, long sleeved.
Speaker 1: Collar like a strong kit.
Speaker 3: Is it a sweat?
Speaker 2: Is it it's a sweats.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's good.
Speaker 2: So, but that's I don't know if this is the uniform though. It's the glasses. It's the I mean, yeah, that's it. You've changed your glasses though last year. Yeah, yeah, yesterday, I had my contacts in for the show and then they had to audition different pairs of glasses for the sketch. And then one of them had an actual prescription in them, and I was like, oh, this one has a prescription in them. And then my dresser, Audrey, was like laughing, and she was like, keen and earlier had the same thing happened to him, and he said, there's medicine in the medicine, by the way, Keenan Thompson, And I'm not and this is perfect, but this is truly like an apropos thing for me this week where he was up till four am with us shooting the sketch, just rallying everybody, keeping the morale up, like getting everybody looked like like out of like the four am overnight shoot, like Doldrums or whatever.
Speaker 1: Team Captain Vibes.
Speaker 2: What a treasure.
Speaker 3: And again, as we continue to make the list of great Americans, who do we have? So far we have Sam Loomis, Keenan who was somebody in between Molly Chloe, I mean Chloe, yes, yes, Top twenty, top twenty New Yorker there.
Speaker 2: With Hamilton Hamilton and do you have any thoughts about what she has said, I guess in a rolling Stone thing about how New York is all Lulu Lemon and dogs, too many dogs. But you're as a recent dog owner, yes, what do you make of this?
Speaker 1: Like and as someone who's been in New York for a.
Speaker 3: Minute, Yes, are there too many dogs?
Speaker 2: I mean I haven't noticed anything.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of dogs.
Speaker 3: I mean I don't go I don't go to like the dog park and that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: I have. I have people that.
Speaker 3: My dogs group inside every single day.
Speaker 1: Oh really, Oh they're a mess insistent places.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I I'm like, guys, I'm I'm the Queen of Versailles. You can't have this. And the dogs are like, we haven't watched that.
Speaker 2: No, have you watched the series, Queen?
Speaker 3: No, someone just told me about this. I will watch it. I did recently rewatched the original excellent movie, fascinating, incredible.
Speaker 2: The series is a little bit of a cheapened version, I'll say. I'll say that on the record, but.
Speaker 3: Because like all documentaries, not all, but a lot of great documentaries, it's they started thinking it was going to be about one thing and then it changes.
Speaker 1: That usually is exciting and yeah, yeah, yes, was not. Like the most famous example of that is probably the Jinks, right is the jinks?
Speaker 3: The jinks and also capturing the Freedman's oh yeah, which have you ever seen that?
Speaker 2: I don't think I've ever seen it.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, For first of all, because it's supposed to be about this guy who's a party clown, and then it turns out that he has his dark family history and they follow that. But you know that Silly Billy the party clown used to play the SNL holiday party up on seventeen. He would come and do like party clown stuff like when I was a writer, when like Norm McDonald's son would be there that era. So I saw the doc and I was like, that's oh my god, that's Silly Billy. Oh no, Silly Billy's family.
Speaker 1: No, he was not. What do you mean he did?
Speaker 2: The party there used to be.
Speaker 3: A little you know what it was. They would have and the tree lighting was happening. Yes, they'd have bagels and stuff and people would bring their kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they bring your kids to people.
Speaker 3: Would bring you know why, because Louren's kids were little.
Speaker 2: That's why there no children about. It's just the bagels. And it's like the meetings happening, like your sketch might get picked, it might not. It's like there's a lot of weird tens. But then the lighting is always a beautiful moment.
Speaker 1: It's a nice moment. But we were taught.
Speaker 3: You asked about New York and has Disney York have too many dogs? Probably?
Speaker 1: Does it have too much?
Speaker 3: I mean it's a mix in my neighborhood, it's a mix of like there's a Lululemon and then everything else is vacant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess most of the time where it's just all dogs. And so I just kind of accepted that me not having one is I'm wrong and I should get one. I also like, now I'm starting to feel a little guilty that I don't have one. Do you remember when I hosted that dog grooming comp I hosted a dog grooming competition show called Hot Dog hau tr Excellent, And there was a day there was a day where it was like rescue dog Day and they made me hold one of these dogs and give a direct to camera like don't you want to save a life? Like how would you feel to know that you could have saved a life? Right? I didn't, And then I like handed the dog back and I was like okay later, and then I felt bad. It was like we need to help, need to help.
Speaker 3: The message that was the help. The PSA was the help.
Speaker 1: I did my thing. I can be fun uncle to these dogs, actual children.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm ready for parenthood with the dogs.
Speaker 1: The dog you want one, he would be a great dog owner.
Speaker 3: The schedule, Yeah, because does no one brings their dog to us and ow.
Speaker 2: People bring their dogs Testina, That would be a bridge too far. Oh, there's there's a couple of people. But it's fine.
Speaker 1: Like they stay in the dressing room.
Speaker 2: They stay in the dressing room, or sometimes they'll bring them out. It's okay.
Speaker 3: That's a different world.
Speaker 2: It's a different Yeah. Would never have flown No, no, no, I don't think so. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right now I think post pandemic, we're all like, we've.
Speaker 2: Had a rough couple of years.
Speaker 1: Let's let everyone have what they need everyone, let's make sure.
Speaker 2: Everything's fine, which I culturally must feel. Why I remember that this just comes with starting out there, no matter who you are, no matter what job it is, if you start out there, it is always hard and it is always a cultural adjustment. But I just remember a time like pre pandemic where I was just like, oh, I was terrified every day.
Speaker 1: Every day I was shaking just to be there, just.
Speaker 2: To be there and yeah, would have never Yeah, I went there.
Speaker 3: I was ninety seven when I went there, And I mean that I see was clarity now, Like the nineties were so rough, like rough, rough.
Speaker 1: Rough, what sense? What do you mean?
Speaker 3: Like kindness was not in fashion and it would get worse from there, and no mental health was like what yeah, what what are you talking about? Yeah, and that's why everyone ended up with some form of like temporary kind of OCD and PTA. You know. But even just when you look back at you just look back at like nineties Letterman interviews, Yeah, and you're like, oh my gosh, she's just like haranguing teenager. Yeah, yeah, absolutely, and we were like ha ha ha, yeah that dumb slag, Yeah exactly. That was the fifty five year old man told that dumb teenager.
Speaker 1: Will never be the same after that. Well, but like.
Speaker 2: The Paris Hiltan thing, I still I mean it's rough, Like I don't like celebrate that interview necessarily. It is incredible and the most unman in the best not the best way, but in a way that you're like, it's Letterman. And then I talked about this before. It was the thing that like andresident and I watched and we're like, so, I guess the Iceberg should be like I want to talk about this thing and not talk about this Yeah you know what I mean modeled it after that. Yeah oh really yeah yeah yeah, Like we watched that, we were like, okay, so like I just want to I just want to talk about my other thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But it was like that was the nineties too. It was like really fucking yeah, making you squirm a bit.
Speaker 3: And there's just for so many things, even people like if you've seen that again, these are all people that I you know, hold nothing against them. But like there's some old Conan clip where the lady from Melrose Places, Oh gosh, someone else, the other blonde lady, Courtney Thorn thank you so much.
Speaker 1: First of all, I think thank you.
Speaker 2: I believe.
Speaker 3: I believe it's Courtney Thorn Smith, and I forget maybe it's like I don't know if it's Conan once a ant Norm on the other side or something. And they're just like doing a bit, like some kind of bit that that she looks really hot whatever, and she's just trying to tell her story from whatever it is, the pre interview of like a funny thing that happened and it's like two maniacs on either side of her, and you're just like, oh, yeah, that we're not doing that anymore. But at the time it was like ha ha, yeah, okay, and those are like Conan is a lovely, kind, involved, intelligent person. We all were I should probably try to think of a story that I tell on myself instead of like but they were.
Speaker 1: Like, we were just hard. We were hard people. Well, we had Seth Meyers on the show like probably a month ago, and he was saying that like the best time like that. He felt like the winning season was probably like two thousand and eight, two thousand and nine, like obviously when you when I went back, Sarah, do you feel that way too?
Speaker 3: Well, I feel like that was a crazy good time and Seth was pad writer and was doing a great job and the world wasn't as dark, and yeah, for me, I felt like that was my like prayer for Owen meanie moment where I was like, it was I born to look like this lady, I guess so, yeah, but now it all seems so gentle.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was there, I remember, I was I was literally there. I remember. One of the coolest ones was it was the I guess weekend up date Tuesday or Wednesday, Thursday special Thursday thing. Yes, they would add those things. And I was at the time like a standby person, like I would wait all the time. And so someone at the line like was like, yeah, they actually they give us tickets to the Thursday thing, So here's you go, and it was you Will Ferrell and I guess Darrel Hammond right like, and he was.
Speaker 3: Doing bush and stuff. Yep, I think I remember that was the one that my parents were like, that was a little too far.
Speaker 1: They were because they're republic that was a little too far.
Speaker 3: I forget what. I don't remember what the jokes were, right, they were on board and then they got back on board.
Speaker 2: This is I don't think i've This is personally important to me and I will never forget this. But I matriculated, it lived with my sister, was not in student housing, and so I was very socially anxious about meeting new people. And I had researched the improv group at Nay in April of senior of high school, and I'm reaching out to the Facebook page throw Back and I message the facebook page, when do you guys hold auditions. Does it work against me if I'm not in Tish, if I'm just a science major, does it work against Irish? And then the person who answered me was Anda dressing like hey, so fun but just like cosmically there was something about that, and then she was like, don't worry, good luck with your many forad rentals, like bye, and then auditioned for the improv group made it to the final round and then I was like, I really hope I get this. Got the email from anadress and saying we're so sorry.
Speaker 1: Oh fuck.
Speaker 2: We were floored by everybody. Please start your own groups. We shouldn't be the only game in town. Blah blah blah game in town being NYU, the only improv group at NYU. I was like, okay, licking my wounds. My sister had gone out. I had the apartment to myself. It was Saturday, Michael Phelps episode of SNL Tina Nam. It were just going on as Hillary and Sarah. Yeah, I get the call during the cold open live from Anna being liked. We talked about it, just kidding we're taking on two people and you and like you're in the group. And then it was like this crazy shift like something like.
Speaker 1: The culture decided to be good. Well no, no, no, it was just it was just like we're gonna it's gonna be a good time.
Speaker 2: The trajectory was like perturbed in like the best way for me possible.
Speaker 1: But like you were like the fact I caused it. You caused it, and no matter what you were like.
Speaker 3: And Amy didn't, it was it was you.
Speaker 2: But anyway, that's what I like will always fondly remember, not.
Speaker 3: That Oh that's a great memory. That's a great memory.
Speaker 2: Okay, but is this the thing then, like starting at SNL when you did, or coming back whatever the after party culture is at any given time, is that informing what you and Amy do after the show, because where you're like, well let's just.
Speaker 1: Go to bed.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I mean we used to. I mean we'll we were at SNL. We used to go out until I had my first child, and then I would sometimes begrudgingly go and.
Speaker 1: They, like you have to say with Laura.
Speaker 2: I'd be like, okay, yeah, I'm at that stage, but I'm childless. Childless yeah, actual, but.
Speaker 3: We used to go, but I never was an after after that was always I'm like, yeah.
Speaker 1: I can't imagine what that would even be No.
Speaker 3: I remember I feel like one time Tracy Morgan had like he did, like an illegal private casino somewhere the draft went to Like the next day, I was like, was insane.
Speaker 2: Of course.
Speaker 1: I mean, but speaking of all this culture so that we're talking about, in many ways, culture that made us side culture was for us. We have to ask you this question, and it is, of course a difficult question that has really open to interpretation. But Tina Fey, what was the culture that made you say culture is for me?
Speaker 3: Okay, I've been thinking about this question. I struggled to understand it, but I think I'm going to try to frame it like have you ever done those? I am from.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh yeah, So if.
Speaker 3: We frame it that way, I'm also much older than you, guys, and so I'm really going back. I may say things that mean nothing to you, right, I mean like I am from watching Benny Hill as.
Speaker 1: A family, Yes, yes, yes, what yeah, watching.
Speaker 3: A weird old man ogle women be kings being like this is formative his family, like it's on PBS. Guys. I am from you know a time when it just our whole life was you go to Blockbuster, you rent the stepfather you rent the now incredibly problematic sleep away camp. That's like and you watch it with your you know, gay friends. So but again, if you want to talk about how hard it is, like cackling, like knowing, like it's horrible, like yeah, or like it's me and my best friend Marlene going to Pretty Woman when it first came out and immediately cackling, being like we're the only ones that know that she's a sex worker and this is grim right that, Like, Okay, this week it's Richard Gear, but every other week it's terrible, you know, cackling.
Speaker 1: What else? I mean?
Speaker 3: Real World New York Season? Why I guys, I remember getting up early with my brother to see the beginning of MTV Wow, the first.
Speaker 1: Video like Downtown Julie Brown like video killed there, like.
Speaker 3: Getting up to see Live Aid and being so and being so pomped that it was partly in Philadelphia and guys like Phil collins Is on the concord. You guys see Phil collins Is.
Speaker 1: On the concord.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was for whatever reason, because the quality of the venue it was in wherever it wasn't Wembley, a guess, and like Veterans Stadium or something must have been the.
Speaker 2: I'm silly and stupid and I thought it was just in the UKN know.
Speaker 3: And that was the big thing was they were like Phil Collins is gonna play with this band and then get on the concord and play again. What else is formed? Who I am? You know?
Speaker 1: Sheila the Glamorous Life?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 1: Thanks for that, you know, Kelly Clarkson just brought her back. Sheila is on Kelly Clarkson's album and I feel like no one talks about on the last RAF. Yes, like yeah, he gave her a special culture award. We did. We gave her like a we gave her something. She's been recognized by this podcast.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 1: I'm glad she must What else can I give you? You know?
Speaker 3: The Divinyls? I touched myself. That was like or like me trying to have to no success, trying to convince people that our junior prom theme should be there must be an Angel by e Rhythmic. I was just going to keep writing these papers and putting it in the box.
Speaker 1: Now what wasn't Ultimately under the.
Speaker 3: Well it was like Brian Adams Heaven. And then I think maybe senior year was maybe like this is the time Billy Joel.
Speaker 1: New song.
Speaker 2: I wow, but this is the thing where I go, how would I have done? How would any of us do? In like a bygone time?
Speaker 3: You would love it.
Speaker 1: The Blackbuster of it all really resonates because it's also about going to Blockbuster and only ever renting two things, running two things over and over over and over over and over.
Speaker 3: Watching another one was like a rach andophobia was a big one. I feel like there's a Martin Sheen one that I can't think of that was like a horror movie.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's what.
Speaker 3: And like also with my two good friends Jim and Damien, who are brothers, who between the two of them.
Speaker 1: Are the amalgam that are the basis for the Yea.
Speaker 3: And in their house they had a back staircase that had been closed off and made into a pantry that was full of every kind of junk food and get after it and also just like it like it was the eight is like no one did fitness. Your outfit was like a high collar thing with a blazer. It was just like then. There was drank so much soda. Would eat like a cheese HOGI so like a twelve inch hogy with three kinds of cheese, and then still able to.
Speaker 1: Poop exactly the body and just think I'm trying to think culturally too.
Speaker 3: It was like VC Andrew's flowers in the attic flowers, reading those on like the beach at the Jersey Shore, or like on the trolley to work. Other weird things, things that I don't realize are like I was obsessed with Paul Young. That was like every time you go away.
Speaker 1: Originally it's like boy music. Well he was super cute.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, yeah, And like sc TV used to be on after SNL three weekends a month, and then the fourth weekend it was wrestling and he'd be.
Speaker 1: Like, uh, who did you imprint on on SCTV was a Catherine, Oh my.
Speaker 3: Gosh, Catherine, Yeah for sure, Andrea aspirational free song.
Speaker 1: As you say, did I use that right? You used that?
Speaker 2: You absolutely used so is the word of twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: It's like we need translate.
Speaker 2: It's just like a feeling of like something in the.
Speaker 1: Airporia, like when something is like, oh, I have the free song thinking about this one.
Speaker 2: It's the table I.
Speaker 1: Got the I got the free song thinking about getting us on Guardians of the Beautiful Ride. I think that the boy music thing is like that is also a thing like the men of the eighties and nineties, you were allowed to be yeah, but like there was something I'm gonna say, like set aside, like ogly and stuff. But like the men of that time, hot, I sound insane for saying that, don't You could look up to men in a way that was like fine, Yeah, you could look up to men and be like I'm okay, okay, I weren't worried about what they were up to.
Speaker 3: Maybe, but I.
Speaker 2: Mean even that, I mean I think they were.
Speaker 1: They were good Americans, good Americans that's the name of this, not literally good American.
Speaker 3: But we also I mean we also were like Janet Jackson, Madonna go gos like that's along the rhythmics. I remember also remember when e Rhythmics came out, like when the first Sweet Dreams came out, and we were like people were scared of them. Yeah, she was like different, Like she had that short hair and she was wearing a suit and everyone was.
Speaker 1: Like what she was hantipop And even when she did like diva and like did do her own thing, like it was still there was something sinister about it in a way that I love.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like yeah, just gender Bendy or the.
Speaker 1: Song why by Annie Lennox. I want that. As I'm lowered into the ground, I think remember that.
Speaker 3: I do say revisit. There must be an angel.
Speaker 1: It's beautiful, okay. And also I mean walking on broken Glass like there's a reason for it. Someone's gonna sample that song and it's going to be just appear stranger things. Yeah, yeah, like like that song taking off the bush of it all.
Speaker 2: I'm happy for the rediscovery.
Speaker 1: As you guys talked.
Speaker 3: About this that that's the year of the the needle drop.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, do you watch the Bear? No? Okay, I have seen some of them, but not all of that. Probably one of the most famous needle drops of this year is Taylor Swift love story on Oh they did that. They did that, and to get the Taylor Swift song must have cost a lot of money, so thankfully it paid off on the Bear. The Bearri you're doing excellent. Yes, you guys are crushing it out there. They really are. They really are. It's so wild to see her like sleigh drama like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: I have to go back and get into it so I can see where her character arc went because I know.
Speaker 1: She's so good, and I think it was like I always like, of course coming up with her, like we always knew she was so talented. But then I was watching Bottoms. Did you see bottom? Yes, I was watching her on screen. There's a scene where the camera gets way up in her face and I think she's having a moment with her love interest, and I'm like, you got it, girl, she got it big time. We were big time.
Speaker 2: You were in the edit yesterday for this pre tape. Every take, I was like, oh, I don't know, she knows where to find the can the camera, but like and it would cut to me and it'd.
Speaker 1: Be like no, no, no, but when you know what to do with the camera. Do we all have this?
Speaker 2: Do we all have this thing where it's this there is some dysmorphia if not might be the right word. But it's like I think it's getting worse and worse for me in terms of watching myself.
Speaker 3: I've reached a point where I don't do it like unless I'm in unless it's something that I'm in charge of them is like I have to edit it. Yeah, I'm like, oh, I'm going to make this movie and I have an idea. I'm never gonna watch it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got it, and that's like freeing. Yeah, you know when it came out about the four seasons. Yeah, the gay group chats were popping. That's really excited.
Speaker 3: I'm excited about that too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is gonna be good.
Speaker 2: That's a good link up again with with Tracy and.
Speaker 3: With oh Tracy and Lang the best Tracy, Tracy Wakefield and Lang Fish.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's going to the gays that remember the movie were like like they were very right. Oh that's great. Oh no, yeah, they're lining up already. I can't get over that. My two movies from Blackbuster were The First Wives Club and Golden Eye.
Speaker 3: That's that was my personality, Like First Club, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, First Wives Club. So you watch it now and you're like, it's so a movie of the nineties where it's just like it takes a bit to get into being a movie. Yeah, and then yeah, then it is, you know what I mean. But I kind of missed the days where it was just like, no, the first half hour is just gonna be a lot of relationship building. Yep, like a lot.
Speaker 2: Is it any first talk stuff that actually ever pays off in the end. No, right, that felt like a ninety thing where it was like you just I.
Speaker 1: Think it's all worth it to watch them at the end saying you don't owe me. And I can't remember anything else about the movie besides that. And you know who else you forget is in that movie? Kind of crushing its SVP.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's great in that movie.
Speaker 1: So good.
Speaker 3: She's great in that movie. She's great in La Story.
Speaker 1: Yes, she's great in Edwood.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, this wait a minute, when Edward is so great?
Speaker 1: That's a really good one. Okay, I've got two weeks off. Yeah, wow, you do have two weeks off.
Speaker 2: I'm excited. I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to the Beacond.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, except the big the Beacon. So wait, when you would have a vacation from SNL back in the day, would you go or would you just sit? Would you bedrot?
Speaker 3: I think I mostly just sat. I feel like people at S and I'll do much better sort of self care and living their lives. But I think in the beginning, my now husband was still in Chicago, so sometimes I would go back to Chicago for the yeah or whatever. But but no, I didn't I never took one real vacation. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm just still learning how to do that. I'm like, all right, you book a trip and then you go there.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, I've never developed I don't think I think my time is up, like I think if I haven't learned by now to like book a vacation on the two weeks off, and I don't think I ever will for my remaining time there. I'm just like I don't have that thing of like that admin thing of like let me book an airbnb or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I think it's I think there's something about working there that like makes you want to stay put because you're just like moving around a lot or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you need to recover. Yeah, the thought of going to the airport doesn't seem good after that.
Speaker 2: No, never ever, I literally did this when you were in town last season, where I would like do a show on Saturday. My flight was at eight am, after daylight savings after the spring clock jumped forward, so I lost an hour and then went to the airport to go to London to then yeah shoot, and I was just like this is actually this is ct Like there's part of my brain that's leaving and so I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think, oh my god, that's sketch. Last night when I was like, and when the wind blows.
Speaker 1: I could feel who wrote that?
Speaker 2: Shout out to Asha Ward hilarious is crush. She's this she's a new young writer. She co wrote this elevator sketch with us as well. She is so damn funny. And yeah, so she she said that line I said on Tuesday night when she was pitching it, which was like kind of like going around with the idea. She's like, yeah, it's based off this People's Court, this actual People's Court episode was the plaintiff did have like the haircut, was that her scalp was showing obviously not her actual brain. But then was like, I think we're going to make it her brain in the sketches, Like that's amazing it and then she goes, yeah, and I think I wanted to say when the wind blows, I can feel my memory like being blown away, and I threw my head back. I was like, you have to put.
Speaker 1: That, Yeah, you must, you must. I did want to ask, so like when you're at SNL and also you're at the same time writing mean girls, like I guess I'm what I'm wondering is like, how long did it take you to do that? Because I remember, like literally at the time reading interviews with you where you were like I just wanted to see if I could do it, yeah, and then you so obviously could, But like, how what was that process of like juggling that, because that seems like a lot of work all the time.
Speaker 3: I am trying to remember. I know I did a bunch of it in the summer. I feel like maybe it was over two summers because it was the first time we rented a house in Fire Island on we let the fire on a guest Tire had recommended just doing that, and we went and trash picked a desk and we carried it. I remember Jeff's arms got like a huge because you never it's not fireround if you don't get a weird rash, and he like immediately got a ration and I was like, oh, I think there was deer p all over the or something, and so the I must have been doing first draft the first summer and then the shooting. I remember the second summer was the shooting draft. Because I would get Mark Waters, the director, I would get pages of notes every day and I'd be like, I think I did it and then be like, Okay, let's go through today again. He's like page four and I'd be yeah, but he was right. It was like it was stuff of like where are they this that? Could this be short? It was like a lot of technical stuff, and there was an amazing woman named Jill Messick who worked for Laura at the time. She also was just like poking me okay, like a lot of drafts between in between unofficial drafts. So I don't think I was doing it. I must have been doing it on weeks off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think.
Speaker 3: I don't have a memory of doing it a trying to do it at the same time as the actual show.
Speaker 1: Like only because like and obviously like the movie is so perfect. It's just everything. It's one of those things that like just falls into place in every way. Like I remember we were saying it was one of those movies where you sat down and watched it and I knew I was going to and had to remember every line was happening. I saw with my cousin and I was just like, this is a really special thing. And then going to school, I remember like I was like all the track girls. I used to run winter. I used this is a specific but I would run track and I would practice with all the girls because we would just talk about things like this and everyone knew all the lines. And it was so funny because I watched my one friend sort of I could tell she wanted to be like Regina George in a way where she didn't really get it. I was like, you don't want to be actually mean, like, but the way she started speaking, I'm like it truly remember it was that Anchorman. Yeah, it was like and I remember as a gay kid too, I learned the language of mean girls because that was what all the girls were doing, and then Anchorman was what all the boys were doing, and so it was sort of this like code switch. Yeah, and I remember taking my dad to see it and like he was so excited because it was coming from you. And I remember it was just like this like moment that felt like a unifier, like in high school, because everyone thought it was funny. Everyone thought the cast was amazing, And I really wanted to ask about Rachel mcaddam because this is essentially is a Rachel McAdam stand podcast. Yeah, we could just talk about her and yeah, but like I was re an interview with you recently where you were like you mentioned like watching her act like change the way that you approached.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I had never been in a movie before, and I didn't know what I would go and be in the scene. I'd only done SNL and I wasn't even really in sketches on SNL, just an update, So I'd be like I would literally be like in my head, I'd be like, I don't know if I'm on camera right now, so I'm gonna try real hard every time. Yeah, Like didn't know to even ask if I'm in this part of the setup. And she her performance was so small that I remember being worried and going to park watch and be like, oh, and then you get the dailies and it was like, yes, perfection, but it was very it was small. It was a film performance. It wasn't like me.
Speaker 1: Like we at that all the time, like the sketch mentality of coming in in one mode, especially like because we didn't have any acting training coming up, we were like creatures of the basements, you know, like any of us, and then all of a sudden, you book a thing where you have to be on camera acting and they're like, hey, just throw it away, and like, I don't know what, but you learned.
Speaker 3: But the difference is then when you see when you see people on SNL, when you see someone like Io who understands the assignment to use a now old phrase.
Speaker 1: Yeah though it's bad, it, I brought it back.
Speaker 3: She understands what she's supposed to do and what sketch requires. And then you compare to well, not name names, but you see people who come in who have only ever done film, whose performances are built in the edit room, right, who have no internal sense of pacing or even energy. Yeah, and you and oh they can fuck up a show.
Speaker 1: But they can slay the pre tape. They can play the pre tape, pre tapes for them, pre tape.
Speaker 2: That literally all we want to tell people now at SNL, Like all I tell the hosts all the time. On Wednesdays, especially at the reath thro I go fast, and we were just like just do it fast and loud, fast and loud wow, and that usually it is plenty of syles it in. It's plenty.
Speaker 3: Yeah. That's why Amy talks about how because we do a Q and A and our show and like we often get asked, like, you know, who are your favorite guests and stuff, and she's like, I love athletes because they're used to being coached and they don't care, and you just be like, just do that. They just do it louder and like say it and they're like okay ah.
Speaker 1: You also get a sense that anyone with like a Disney hid passed yep, comes in there and tears it up yep.
Speaker 3: Also, by the way, people who've done then there are fewer and fewer of these people, but used to be people who had done soaps, because like, you know, who's got to start on soaps. Alec Baldwin.
Speaker 1: Julianne Moore, Yes, Julian, make a choice, Make a choice and go get Lisa Rinna. Oh, come on, Lisa, Julian Moore. I think, well, and that's I think our favorite movie of the years May December, We Love Me.
Speaker 3: That's your favorite movie?
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 3: I enjoyed it, but that I haven't watched Four Things.
Speaker 1: Oh, you'd like four Things. It's Emma's Emma's another one like comes in and like just obviously gets it, yeah, and gets it, gets it on camera obviously. But Julian Moore, I guess because what's so fun about the movie is it's like purposefully a melodrama, right that insane music. That music was She's like, we're out of hot time, yeah, her insane accident. But then she was talking about like she's like, well, you know, I started in soaps and I actually did the archetype of like the Twins, the twins, the evil twins, like the Amnesia twin. So it wasn't even just amnesia or just twin. It was both acting opposite herself, wanting to kill herself, incredible kill the other. But like, there's all the sense in the world to me.
Speaker 2: But you said about Alex too though, where it's like they're the Rachel McAdams thing where it's like just so quiet, Yes, it's gonna work, and then you watch the you're like, oh my god, oh my god. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And sometimes you know, real stars they don't really do what they're going to do till you're on their close up, and so you know, you look at those first two seasons of thirty Out Rock and I'm like hey, and he's like, you won that one.
Speaker 2: I won that one.
Speaker 1: It really is well though, because you do a take and they're like, okay, we're moving on and you're like, there's no way we can. I didn't do anything, and they're like, no, you get the performance of a lifetime. You just won't ever know because it wasn't fun for you at all, right, Yeah, but it worked for us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, back to Mean Girls really quickly. How many times did you see in theater? Because you brought your dad so I saw.
Speaker 1: You. Oh, come on. I mean, like, first of all, like I wonder how this feels too, because to join this thing of like it was like Heather's Clueless and then it's Mean Girls, and that has to be really meaningful, very meaningful for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because those you know how those and Clueless were huge informative.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, this is my thing. This is my specificity with it is there was like a website two thousand and four and five in that time of the Internet called like the Script Database or something, and they would either have the screenplay, the original screenplay of the movie any movie you could think of, if they had it the original actual PDF or the scan or whatever of the script, or they would have a transcript. And then I remember reaching out to the admin of that being like I will transcribe Mean Girls for you. And then he did you do it? And I did it, and then and this guy was like, God bless you. The demand for a movie has never been higher than for you. I was like, I'm gonna do it. And I wrote the fucking like the Slugs, and I didn't transscribed me and girls. He was like, well you were fourteen. Wow, this is what I said. I said, I can get you the script. And then this guy, this like thirty year old man, was probably like, you mean the actual like Tina Fey, like the draft. I was like, no, no, no, I'm just gonna type out what they say.
Speaker 1: I like didn't know. I didn't know what. I didn't know what he was looking for.
Speaker 2: It was like, I don't care, I'll take a transcript. I was like, oh, that's yes, of course transcribing. Yes, I will write out what they say. I'll see Katie says that, you know, like yeah, that was the level of like eazy, fucking yeah.
Speaker 1: There's like joy in every scene. And I guess what I feel is like you forget like that such big deals came out of that movie to like Amanda Seifrid, like she's just so in the fabric of the movie having fun doing her part that you forget that she would then become like yeah, hello, And I mean it was it's like that down to to everything. And I wonder like, in shooting it, did you know that it was like did you have a feeling that there was something special happening? Which feels like a question, boring question, But because it did end up being culturally significant, thank you.
Speaker 3: I feel like, I mean, part of the reason that it worked is because those girls were so legit and took it seriously and played and played it so real, you know, if they had been campy about it, because I think that's the thing I try to sometimes pass on and whatever writershims whatever, it's like, no one, no villain thinks they're they're No one's the villain in their story. Like Regina's whole thing is like it's hard, like she's gonna come crying to me and then I gotta help her, Like, yeah, no one's the villain in their own story, right, And I think they all played that perfectly because you know, and you can see now like, oh, Regina's villain, janis villain, Kate is a huge villain. Like everyone's making mistakes and they played them all perfectly. But you know. I think I was just at that place of like basically like is it gonna air? You know, we're gonna, We're gonna it's gonna get made. That was the That was the triumph in my mind.
Speaker 2: That's refreshing to hear because I think I think Matt and I are in that mindset right now. We're just like we're working on things and we're just like, let's just not worry about the contours of this. Let's just like the goal is just to get it made, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I read this book. I think it's called like Wild and Crazy Guys, and it's just a little nonfiction book about that span of time where like it's like Steve Martin, Eddie Murphy, Bill Murray Dan. It's like all of when they all were blowing up and what movies got made and whatever, and so many of these movies that are just cannon to us.
Speaker 1: They were like didn't really open.
Speaker 3: And you're like I don't care, Like you know, I watched it one hundred thousand times, whatever. The Man with Two Brains or like that was just there just were movies, you know, and to like not worry too much about like.
Speaker 1: How it does how it does, how many theaters it is just you wonder, like how many things we would actually love so much that it just get written off. I wonder about that all the time, Like with the way the industry is now, like how many things aren't getting made that like are actually going to be things that we think about in fifteen twenty years, you know what I mean? Like it feels very far in few between that you get something, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, well I think movies still are tighter. Yeah, Like I feel like TV because there's just so much more like you are getting, like you're getting reservation dogs, You're getting you know, Simon Rich is weird show where the like, uh Simon, we know it's what Bottoms felt like, Yeah, totally so refreshing.
Speaker 1: Well, she's incredible must Sellman, the director of that. She's like, I think she can do anything she can in Bottom and we love Rachel me and so it's happening.
Speaker 3: Like and you know, my daughter's eighteen, my older daughter, and that is Bottoms is everything?
Speaker 1: Yeah, really everything?
Speaker 2: Right? Yeah, it's her mean girls in a way. Yeah yeah, oh that's so cool. That's so cool. I mean it is this thing where like maybe we're just because we're like in we have some awareness, we're like reading like the Ankler or whatever. But I'm just like the survivorship bias of it all is really hitting me where I'm just like, oh, yeah, if I think too about things that aren't getting me that I start to Ye, I started to lose my mind a little.
Speaker 1: I'm still going to the casting of me. Did everyone audition for that? Like, did you get a tape from Lindzie Kaplan or were you like, gosh, I think so, yeah, probably.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It just feels like there can have ever been a time when there was like not those not It's one of those things. It's like, yeah, I think so.
Speaker 2: And Lindsay had worked with Mark before.
Speaker 3: Lindsay had was coming. She had a lot of heat coming off of.
Speaker 1: Freaky Friday, and there's waters.
Speaker 3: I think maybe I can't remember. We should fact check for sure, but yeah, yeah, I think so. Yeah, And she came and she remember she came by s analytists to like hang out and be seen because she I think she wanted to be considered. She wanted to play Regina, which I think yes, And Louren was what always Wise was like, no, you want that person to be the person who takes the trajectory to yeah, he's like that, he's basically that's the part that you want.
Speaker 1: She was like, okay, but was.
Speaker 2: That when both you and Dennis were head writer or do he used to Yeah, that's so funny. I love that.
Speaker 3: She was also a killer on sn L, killing people who like acted as kids.
Speaker 1: Also, they're just like, where do I stand? And what do I say?
Speaker 3: Let's do it, Miley Cyrus, where do I stand?
Speaker 1: What do I say? Everything?
Speaker 3: We need to push more children into show.
Speaker 1: We need to feed the s n L.
Speaker 3: Host pipeline by ruining children.
Speaker 2: If there is like some sort of surgical neuralink type procedure to just to implant that thing, an actress of just like stand here, say it loud, saying you.
Speaker 1: Guys had that at the same time too, that must be like, yeah.
Speaker 2: That's not what you would say that, And then this lesson I say that now, like to all the hosts, we're just like, just project, that's that's our thing. But we're nice, but we're not like we're just like, yeah, just just loud.
Speaker 1: I bet it does anyway.
Speaker 3: I mean incredible, they really were, I mean from home, they were nice.
Speaker 1: They were nice. Are you watching every week?
Speaker 3: Not every single week, but I try. You know. What sort of got me back into the was was Alice being old enough to and love wanting to stay up and watch it.
Speaker 1: But she was not home last.
Speaker 3: Night because she was at the cast party for her own high school musical. They did well the prom.
Speaker 1: She killed it.
Speaker 3: They all killed it. They were all great.
Speaker 1: That makes sounds like production. Oh that's even more.
Speaker 2: That's all that I know.
Speaker 1: It was super cute of the prom. Okay, so that is a hilarious. So I to think about someone playing d as like a child.
Speaker 3: By the way, girl killed killed. I wish I had video for you because she killed I bet.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's the people. If you could do one role, what would it be. I'm like, it'll never happen, but I'd love to do In the prom. I had to do drag for the show I was in last year, and like I put this little wig on, like a little you know, side swoop, like not exactly Catherine Zeta, but in the world, and I was like, I think I am d D. I know I am do you know?
Speaker 3: Jeff Myth and Jeff Yeah, So he often brings up that like back in musical theater, like major of college, but you take makeup class, and part of makeup class was always like you had to do drag or like do you have to like you a gender swap with your makeup. And he really likes to brag that he looked. This may be total reference to she be like I was very pretty and I looked like Barbara Mandrel.
Speaker 1: He's like, I was very pretty photos could you confirm? I have not seen photos.
Speaker 3: I know he's we'd have to as a beard right now, but right but he might shave it for the opportunity.
Speaker 1: We might shave. Just tell him if he wants a stage, we do something that call the Culture Awards every year. He's welcome to come out and do it.
Speaker 3: Give his and then you can judge whether he still looks like Barbara Mandrush Barbara Mandreu.
Speaker 1: Also you're kind of almost there with the drag.
Speaker 2: Name anyway, totally Meandrew, and then this is what I'm saying, This is what we're saying. The opportunity, he's like a riper, and riper we're not going to judge him. It's going to be like a fucking the m a situation where he knows ahead of time, you.
Speaker 1: Were saying that's the vas because the Grammys are today, and we're like, we think people don't know if they're going to win a Grammy, but I think you know if you're winning like a VMA. Yeah, I bet yeah, because Taylor Swift has changed her Yeah, she's changed her Instagram to all black and white, which we believe means there's an announcement coming in. And I'm like, well, I wonder if Taylor Swift and announce if she's winning a Grammy. But like, because if someone could, it's probably Taylor Swift. Right, probably you don't know what the Oscars, You don't know what the Emmy's. You probably don't know what the Grammys. Yeah, it's not people's choice. No no, no, wait, they want a ton of these things they call you before.
Speaker 3: No, no, no. I feel like I do remember one time with the Golden Globes, like Alec was nominated for thirty Rock and he wasn't and he was like, you just call him and ask them if I want Yeah, because I felt like with that one, maybe you could have and I don't think he was able to. And I don't remember if he want or not or I don't. She was like, surely this one. They'll just tell me if I have to go.
Speaker 1: And well, I mean I bet they would if it's Alec, especially the Globes at that time. Now, oh, by the way, your guys host, would you guys go back and host the Gunner? Oh my gosh, I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's a faint because we ended The last time we did it was this weird like zoom one.
Speaker 1: That was the bummer.
Speaker 3: But we did used to have so much fun doing that, We really did.
Speaker 1: You guys were the best at it.
Speaker 2: Some one can't be the period on the piece, and.
Speaker 3: That's the tricky I have to put the pressure on, I know. But maybe we could either try to erase the zoom on or yeah, well NBC doesn't own it anymore, right, and you know me, you countess Luanne, But we work for NBC.
Speaker 2: You got it.
Speaker 1: We're Comcast girl upset for who's in charge of it now these days? Right, I will say she was on one the other night. She is alive up there. Yeah, she goes for it. And it's so funny because you watched the early seasons. You're like, this, Woe's never going to become a Cabaret Star, and then you go to fifty four below and she was doing covers of Oh What a Night. How do I ask this Toily? Has she been.
Speaker 3: Working on her singing? Because everyone does?
Speaker 1: It's so deeply Carl Swift. Here's what I'll say. There is a quality to her voice that I think limits what it can do. It is so low, it's Carol Channing Channing. Yeah, it exists where it exists, And so I think we're picking songs that just the keys are two steps down from what they even are for the men she covers. But I will say there's something sort of she really knows her range. She's matching pitch, and you're never going to see her like go for the money note. In fact, one time she did go for the money note, and it was more like, I'm joyfully making a big sound than it is I'm hitting a note, which.
Speaker 2: It's just about the selling and the delivery of it. I think I think her range, being what it is, is the perfect extra dimension performance. And I think she knows that now, and I think she's like, let me just have fun. Yeah no, I'm not the best singer. And we're saying this with love.
Speaker 1: Lou well, there's a.
Speaker 3: Lot of people who Yeah, if it's like, if you know how to put your show together, yeah, and give people and also if people know what they're signing up for.
Speaker 1: Yes, when we were signing up for four red Sangria as I found Yeah, and I don't know, I don't know what it was about it that made me feel like, this is the drink tonight, sugar, I don't drink you. And this is also what got me really fine. I'd make like a quote unquote famous Sangria winters Angria for holidays. It's just so much booze. And I literally was just like yay, And I realized no one likes it as much as me. But because I made it, I feel it must get consumed and then you're blacked out on Christmas and I don't. I don't even get drunk like this. It's only when I'm drinking red Sangria.
Speaker 2: And you before pre twenty one, if you didn't have a fake place to give as little Italy, you just order like a Hou's Kianti Hou's Kyanti. Well, no, you would order like a huge picture of sang It got you there, Well, do you.
Speaker 1: Remember the Chinese?
Speaker 2: So there Steph Shoe of everything ever el Yes, Stefh Sho would go there in college and get wasted at nineteen.
Speaker 1: And drink red wine. What was that?
Speaker 2: It was worse than tubuc chuck.
Speaker 1: It was something worse than fermented well grape. I had my birthday there. It was like a party of twenty five underage kids getting so much of this red wine.
Speaker 2: So much.
Speaker 1: But wait.
Speaker 2: In terms of putting together a show though, just quickly was it like you and a me being like, what do we want to do? We just want to sit down because.
Speaker 1: It would be easy to just do that. I mean, we do it all the time.
Speaker 3: We did a little test run of like Netflix as a joke. It's just mostly a Q and A and a couple of little, like really undercooked bits, and it was easy and fun. But we sort of thought like, oh, we should have a little bit of structure, and so we do. I feel like this is a really nice little structure.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I should give it away.
Speaker 3: We may keep touring, but like, yeah, we It has sort of like four parts. There are wardrobe changes, There are one to four wigs depending on the night. There is a little bit of Emperor.
Speaker 1: There is a little bit of.
Speaker 3: Stand up.
Speaker 1: And a special guest and a special guest and so.
Speaker 3: But if so, the structure we it felt reminded us of Golden Globes times because we always have we have such it's over thirty years that we know each other, so we do really have a shorthand of like what if we go X, Y Z, Like there's no ego in it, there's like we And also we've both been producing things for a long time. So I do feel proud. I feel like we're giving the white women that come to see us and other people too.
Speaker 1: It's not a full life and.
Speaker 3: Beautiful all are welcome. I feel like we're giving people like what they want but anyway, but also it's like hopefully a little bit surprising as it goes along. And but the answer was like it basically, I was on set. We were finishing filming the Me and Girls movie in Middletown, New Jersey, and we had Amy and I had been working like once a week over Zoom being like talking about what the show could be whatever, and then we had from the day I finished, and it was a brutal. It was a very tiring, fast shoot. It was like a lot of late nights and whatever, and so that was say I finished on like the Monday, and then like Saturday, we were like our test show was in port Chester, so she came in.
Speaker 1: We had like three or four days. It was very much like the Golden Globes.
Speaker 3: We were like, Okay, we got this, we got this, and we just sort of finished figuring out the show and we've honed it some since. But it is sort of like you know, when you write stuff and it's born quickly and it just comes right out. It's usually a good sign and the structure kind of.
Speaker 2: Just slipped right out.
Speaker 1: So when did you realize there was like music to you? And Amy like I wonder, like cause you guys have always been like friends and I think I don't know how true this is, but like you were snl and like put her name in their ears and then she came Yeah.
Speaker 3: So we started, you know, we were in we started together at improv Olympic. Sharna Halpern said to both of us, you don't like this girl, and we were the only two girls on a team. We go inside Vladimir and which is a gay porn that's what it was named, a gay porn VHS tape that was on display a JJ Peppers on Clark and Way, and I remember we also were like we named it after that, and then as a team, we're like, we should all watch it once as a group, and then we're like, oh, we watched it the first time, and then people drifted to other parts of the party, except for like one or two of the straight guys that just hung in. Yes. And so we toured together, and then she and we were both under studies for the main stage, and she was one hundred percent the A team and I was the B team. Like I remember one time Kelly Leonards was like, you know, so and So is going dratch, Dragh is going on vacation, and Amy can't. She can do all of the nights except one. And I was like, so, I get it, and he's like, no, you're gonna She's gonna do all the nights except one, and you're gonna go on one time. And I was like, oh, okay. But and then she left to go to UCB show in New York, and then and then I did main stage literally only because she left, or I would have been waiting another two years behind her. I was John Glazier's understudy, and he is such like a gender neutral in his comedy that I just like, yeah, you can just step right in because it's all just like wonderful weirdness.
Speaker 2: I both read for a John Glazier assistant part, and you.
Speaker 1: Love John.
Speaker 3: He and his wife listen to the podcast the best I see them A fire answers.
Speaker 1: By the way, I'm actually I didn't even mean to do this, but I.
Speaker 3: Fire Island Pines.
Speaker 1: Sorry.
Speaker 2: Sorry.
Speaker 3: So then I ended up trying to get a writing job at SNL and Adam McKay hired me and I started and then yes, So at some point, I guess after the UCB TV show ended, I was like, but would you ever but would you ever come over here?
Speaker 1: Would you ever audition?
Speaker 3: And I feel like it was sort of broker that she was like basically like I am not doing three through the door, Like I'm not like I'm too established to you come with my characters in my box of wigs. And so it was some kind of in between. It was more like a camera test, right. There was something where it was like I'm not going to work too hard, yeah forever. The Enneagram eight, the challenge.
Speaker 2: What is that one?
Speaker 1: The Challenger yes, what do you do?
Speaker 2: You know? What do you know? You?
Speaker 1: Three? Three? What is three?
Speaker 2: Again?
Speaker 1: The achiever? Oh? Now that I know, I'm going to become obsessed with.
Speaker 3: Amy's obsessed with it?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you need to take.
Speaker 3: The test tonight.
Speaker 2: Okay, what's Amy's Amy's?
Speaker 1: And eight? Is it one through eight? It's one through nine?
Speaker 2: Nine.
Speaker 3: I forget what nine is because I don't know a lot of nine.
Speaker 1: What's what's it called?
Speaker 2: Like your echo for wing?
Speaker 1: Wing four? Four?
Speaker 2: Wing four? And I forget what four is?
Speaker 1: But this is exciting. Yeah, oh this is going to take do you do you ever dabble in astrology?
Speaker 3: I know I'm a tourist. I don't believe so much an astrology because it's random.
Speaker 1: But why which is? And again I'm not the anagrams off.
Speaker 3: It's because I've been on tour with Amy for the last seventeen weekends that we're talking about a lot. But I do put more stock in it because it's based on you answer.
Speaker 1: A million questions.
Speaker 3: So it's based on you and that's what you think and how you react.
Speaker 1: Correct. That's the way word qualitative. Yeah, So with the un Amy thing, like would you consider yourselves opposites? No, we're not.
Speaker 3: We're not opposites, yeah.
Speaker 1: Because it presents that in the comedic duel, which I guess. Yeah, we've been talking about this a lot, being this, but like, yeah, it's funny how you present her.
Speaker 3: Son as our opposites, right, because it's more like I'm sort of tightly buttoned up and then she's more like little dark bag.
Speaker 1: Round but we're both actually pretty bossy.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I just to answer your question, like when did I realize that we're sort of more powerful together. I remember before, like Jimmy, I was doing an update with Jimmy and then he left and I was felt very abandoned because I.
Speaker 1: Was like, we left, like he left, we had a good thing going.
Speaker 3: And I did tests with other people and stuff, and then Lauren was doing that learn thing. He was like, what do you think? Like leaving it sort of up to me, And there was part of me that was like, oh god, I think I'm supposed to want to do this by myself, right, like that's the power. But I was like, but I'm a sketch person. I'm not a startup partner, right And at the very like last minute, I remember I was coming back. This is too much information. It's coming back from a train trip from Washington, d C. Where I had weirdly and presiently taken a photograph for like a cover of I don't know what with John McCain, like in two thousand and whatever, but way before two thousand and eight, and I had to make the decision on the Amtrak ride back, and I called Amy and I was like, would you do me the great honor of being my wife? And then it just worked from there and I think by the time the globes and the Hillary and Sarah all of it all, it just was like, oh, people.
Speaker 1: Do like us together.
Speaker 2: That's the music to it that you're asking.
Speaker 1: Yes. I mean, I just because it feels like again, it feels like that thing that always was, but there had to be a time when it was decided like, oh yeah, this feels really good because and I think that's like it just feels like the synergistic thing that must have always been, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I mean it kind of asked been for a long like six sharp maybe the credit goes to Sharna.
Speaker 2: I mean it sounds like sounds like yeah, but like in terms of you guys building up the structure for the show for Russell's leg Like that is interesting to hear about because I feel like with Globes it was you guys looking at the established structure of like what an award show looks like and then being like, let's go out with mustaches and be like nominees for Dog President a movie called Dog like form breaking, Like I was like, I remember just watching. I was with my friends watching that first year of the Globes just being like, oh my god.
Speaker 1: This was also the joke structure they handed to you guys, which they don't do anymore, which as a woman who dot dot dot dot dot dot dot, like, I love that and I wish they would do that because sometimes they would just like describe it in such a weird way and they're on the actor like.
Speaker 2: And she's like not a total idiot.
Speaker 3: A total idiot who looks terrible.
Speaker 1: Who looks terrible even now? Yeah, Matt Rogers dog President.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean the things I think we knew from like I felt that we brought producer brain to the table were like front loaded, yes, don't come out. And I've watched other Ward shows since where I've been like oh no, no, no, my darling at the end of like the oscars don't come out at like ten fifty with a long ass bit. Everyone's tired. Everyone who's still in the room has lost Get out of there, you know, so like front loaded, don't go too long work the room. And also literally just like say who you are and remind people who how they know you, Like just I feel like we had just training from SNL just like watching a million monologues.
Speaker 2: That's a larn thing of like, okay, like most times were gonna be like cold up in monologue like before update, Like that's like above the fold in terms of it's like it's common sense to us, but it's also like things that I guess like people don't think of all the time. And that's that's okay, But it's also like I feel like the biggest boon of working near is to like see a different version of let's just say like fame every week and then to be like, oh, I can behaviorally adjust myself based on what I'm witnessing, you know, which.
Speaker 3: Of these paths seems like a good path?
Speaker 1: And yeah, that sounds weird to say so speaking of like the famous of it all, I wonder like you've probably met everyone at this point, but then you're in the Golden Golds room and it's literally like, is there anyone who throws you off?
Speaker 3: That is a great question, I have to say, after so much time at SNL and also just being fifty three, where you're just like, I don't care. Yeah right, and you've seen like you've seen so many waves of culture and you're like, yeah, guess who used to be a big deal and isn't anymore? Like whoever you are, it will pass, right, And also having had to go make crazy phone calls and have crazy meetings and be like like I've had to do things like can you call Mariah Carey and ask her for the rights to you know this song? And I like and once you've done, like, I don't don't know if I can think of a person that that I'd be like, you're such a big deal.
Speaker 1: Because even Oprah has been your colleague. Yeah, I mean I'm one of the most iconic.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 1: Mariah is huge because you got her with girls and you have her for she loves me girls, she loves mingols the whole song about it, one of her best songs. Yeah, to are so obsessed with me? Do you like the new Do you like the new? The Renee and Megan song? Do you like it all the time?
Speaker 2: You like it?
Speaker 3: Renee is a real one, a real star, a real star, real star.
Speaker 1: She came on this podcast then it's like her voice in that movie do you know this? With there Me, Joe, Kim Booster, Brandon Scott, Joe Crush, we were there and then Renee came out, and then Laura Bananti was hosting the whole thing and being like and just on stage orbone anything like if I had the confidence of that girl, I would have no problems. And it was just you could tell from that night, Yeah, Star, it was just And the kid that won was Andrew bart Felt the Jennifer Lawrence movie No Hard Feelings.
Speaker 3: Yes, and Evon Hansen right for the gym, Yeah, yeah, the Jimmy's with the Future. Other thing that I loved about Renee on SNL was her live vocal was right up front in that mix, right up front, right in the zone.
Speaker 1: You could hear it was live.
Speaker 2: Vibes. And then and then the after party was like I don't do like big spaces.
Speaker 3: That was like you're so cool, great Americans.
Speaker 2: I think it's time to move on.
Speaker 1: Shall we move to I don't think so honey. Okay, So this is the segment, Tina where we take one minute to rant and rave again something in culture and I'm gonna get a little specific, and I apologize to you in advance. Oh no, but I think you need to make some changes. Oh god, I know, but don't be scared. Okay, Okay, this is Pott Rodgers. I don't think so honey about me. I guess as time starts, I don't think so honey, bow and Yang. No deodorant in your dressing room, Oh get out, because I think it's like a it's a staple.
Speaker 2: Right, I don't need it and I don't need a babe.
Speaker 1: My thing is like I needed it. And you remember that you have guessed and some of them are going to be in that hot, little stuffy dressing dressing room stuffy. And I'm turning around and as I said before, no, not a deal toate in sight in my apartment, only acts, which I didn't find till this morning. I feel like, Bowen, we need to rethink and restock your dress room with the essentiary. Second, because there's a lot of you fancy good whiskey and no dealorance, no nothing that's going to actually get us to the end of the day, the end of the week. Oh, because it was smelling in there. And I apologize to you, but you had a lot of men in your in your dressing room last night and it's stank by the end of it. And I'm telling you, like, I just couldn't believe you didn't have your little essentials. You do have a lot of good cologne. I do than acts, okay, But I'm just saying, like, in terms of the sweat and the anti person, weren't you could be doing better?
Speaker 2: I don't think so. That's one minute I had MS available for our friend day because he had an upset stomach. Yeah, I have so many other This is the thing about working at SNL that I I'm never gonna get over. You could have had the worst week professionally, not the worst week, but just a rough week professor at the show, and then you still have to host your friends and make sure they are ice and get drinks for them. I'm like, this is the thing that I don't love.
Speaker 3: Like your aunt and uncle are coming to take them to the party.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you're like, oh, that's a light show for me, and.
Speaker 1: I will say I did check myself when like I think it was a couple of years ago, like a few of us were in your dressing room, just like having the time, and I think it was like a week were you having a hard time? You came and we were just like, ah, what do you mean, just because like you don't want to be like whoa like, come on, get them up on our level when it's like I am at work still, And then I do respect that.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry they didn't have deodorant.
Speaker 3: I'll get I just felt that because I reathed, you needed to have a little basket like in a wedding reception ladies room, like mints.
Speaker 1: I have brothers past deals, get mints, and he does have brothers past deals. Does everyone know where you go and tampons?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Cythiio gave me past.
Speaker 1: Cynthia Rivo gave him the best singer in the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's great. Also Big Big Brothers Past Big had all the great. Well, I'm sorry, I will do my best too.
Speaker 1: No, I'm kidding. I just didn't want to smell so bad, That's okay. And also I'm being a little like erring on the side of caution. I don't think so funny because I got absolutely dragged for the one I did last week, which was people should not be riding tailor swift so hard for the private jet usage because you don't want her to ride commercials.
Speaker 3: I saw that, and you're like, what is she gonna fly.
Speaker 1: Adult an adulta lounge? Yeah, because I'm just teasing everyone, and the girls absolutely dragged me because I'm harmful.
Speaker 3: No no, no no, I'm You're the real problem.
Speaker 1: The real problem, apologized. I've got one. Okay, bowing, I might be biting the hand. Oh baby, we'll see this is Bowe yangs. I don't think so money as time starts now, I.
Speaker 2: Don't think so honey. My co host doing ads for The Tiger's Apprentice now streaming on Paramount Plus and naming off the cast list Henry Golding, Greta Lee, Sandra Oh, Michelle Yo, but no mention of Bow and Yang. I normally don't mind, but I it's my own podcast. I'm giving Paramount a platform. I saw Mean Girls in theaters four times. I went to go see Mean Girls in the musical twenty twenty four. I am a supporter of Paramount of CBS and vi Com. I've had many wonderful experiences to work with Viacom CBS, and I can't even get a damn mention in the ads and the promo material for this movie that I had a great time doing. I play Sydney the Raft, the movie where the twelve animals of the Chinese Zodiac team up to fight an evil. In go Oh, Michelle, you places the villain second coworker with our guest. I put Paramount, please put me in the damn.
Speaker 1: Credit And that's a minute. I personally like to apologize for not improvising in the ad that you were but I don't think but dead ass, you do not know that I was in that movie. No, dead ass, I do know that you're in the movie. But you know what it's like to do ads. And this sort of a peak behind the curtain usually happens at the end of a podcast when you just want to leave until you're like coming so to Paramount plus it's gonna be everyone but bo and all right, see you later, everybody. I I don't want to say when I love I didn't go to the math for you. When I love that for you came out and we were doing ask for I love that for you. I made sure to really make your name an emphatic part of that. I just expected better from you. I expected better from you. Is really hard said that to you. If your best friend and coming to partner said I expected better from you on the air, that's rough. That's rough. No, I expect better for myself. I'm sorry. And from now on I will always say your name. I'll sneak your name into projects and you're not even in thank you. And then maybe just like and you have Deoduran for me, let's have each other's backs more in the future. Because there's a magic here and there's a music here. I've always known it.
Speaker 2: That's an equilalic exchange.
Speaker 1: You're the teen and amy of your generation. You know what what don't?
Speaker 2: Don't?
Speaker 1: Should we host the globes?
Speaker 3: Are getting by the way, you should host the Globes together.
Speaker 2: That room is going to be like, who the fuck are those who? Joe Koy who They're like?
Speaker 1: Who is that?
Speaker 3: It would be like, it's Joe Kimbooster because that keeps happening to you guys.
Speaker 1: And they'll be like and Zachary Quinto.
Speaker 3: No, but you really should do it because together are so much more fun.
Speaker 2: I would only do it with someone with you.
Speaker 1: I'm throwing our name in there. I was like, yeah, we're gonna do it, and Bomo was like, no, not the globes. And I was like, well, I think they're back. I think now we know they're back. You know what I mean? Yeah, they're back. Yeah, Okay, are you ready for this?
Speaker 3: I think so? Okay, So I will say I was like, I was kind of sweating because I you know, again, in fifty three, I have nothing but opinions, right, have violent opinions about everything. But I'm also constantly afraid of getting in trouble. So do an audition some No, I think I'm an okay area now, but also like, I do have backups if we do it, and you could you be like no, do a different one if.
Speaker 1: We're like no, you'll get crucified for that.
Speaker 3: I think I was thinking about my own fear of crucifixion, and it led me to my choice of topic. Okay, so, and I may look at my phone the old.
Speaker 2: This is Tina Feyce. I don't think so, honey.
Speaker 3: How it starts to know, I don't think so, honey, bo and Yang giving his real opinions about movies on this podcast. I regret to inform you that you are too famous. Now, sir, what's gonna happen? You have a problem with saltburn, quiet luxury, Keep it to yourself, because what are you going to do when Emerald Fennel calls you about her next project where you play Carrie Mulligan's co worker in the bridal section of Herod's and then Act three makes a sexually violent turn and you have to pretend to be surprised by that term. You have to have a clean paper tray on nothing negative. Everything everyone does is amazing. You hang out with Ariana and SpongeBob. Now that is your life, okay, and Matt Rogers. I gonna tell you, got about one year left, and then you, yes, learn from my mistakes, learn from io podcasts forever.
Speaker 1: Authenticity is dangerous and expensive.
Speaker 3: I don't think so, honey, that is so old timer.
Speaker 1: And you know they're starting to come for us, the people that listen to this, and like they don't say their real opinions, and it's like, yeah, I don't think that anyone needs that. Sometimes it gets hard, it gets harder, I know, I bet it does.
Speaker 2: And they're also digging through our stuff being like, well, there's a period when they didn't like Taylor Swift.
Speaker 1: Aid where they didn't like them, So to hear them be so sick a fantic now was really crazy. They call us boot liquors. I'm like, you, guys, it's a walk doing.
Speaker 3: This and it's a dangerous dance. Yes, and it's impossible.
Speaker 1: It's really crazy because the fact is we do have strong opinions about almost everything, and that's what people want. White's authentic. But also, what do I do when Emerald calls.
Speaker 3: What are you going to do when?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: But I personally and I cannot expect this of everyone. If someone's not a fan of one thing that I've done, if someone was like I didn't love Fire Island, I'll be like, no problem, I'll still be in a sketch with you. I'll still like, take a meet.
Speaker 1: Emerald Fel if I'll still take a meeting. Emerald Fanel had gotten on a podcast and absolutely destroyed Fire Island and said this is bad. I didn't get the performances, and Emerald Fanel said the words, I don't think Bowen Yang has ever pulled it off. You would feel crazy.
Speaker 2: I would feel crazy, but he'd be like, that's so.
Speaker 1: I was like, she's entitled Emerald. That was I forgotten.
Speaker 3: My one note that I didn't get to as I was at the bottom, was going to be I don't listen. I don't expect you to stand with Dave Chappelle good night.
Speaker 1: I'm not a monster.
Speaker 3: I'm not crazy, but I do need you to hug Mark Cuban like he is your long honest like Jimmy did. And also why did Jimmy do that? Why was Jimmy hugging Mark Cuban like they won the super Bowl together.
Speaker 2: Jimmy was so happy and Jimmy was so nice and he sent me milk Bark cookies.
Speaker 1: Well that's why Jimmy's the best, because he's capable of joy.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, no, and we need that. And I was by the way people are like reading me for like in the Bear Gip talk show sketch, like looking agitated in a word.
Speaker 3: I was like, no, I was like playing this.
Speaker 2: I was playing in this sketch and being like, oh, there's the guests are supposed to be like a little perplexed. I was like, you, guys, but that was fantastic.
Speaker 1: Honestly, this is a genuine question, how would you do this podcast? You know what I mean? Like, how like if you're us, how would you continue to do this podcast which started in twenty sixteen when we thought there's no way anyone will ever listen to it even once. Yeah, and we sort of established this thing of like, we see things, we talk about it, we're honest, we have our little fun with things in the pop culture. And then all of a sudden that does become hard because someone who might be a dear sister to you, right might be right?
Speaker 3: I mean, I do think you before you guys are thoughtful and gentle, and if you say you don't like something, it's not just like just to be jerks.
Speaker 1: You know you don't.
Speaker 3: Obviously we're very thoughtful about those movies. But it does become a thing where it's like, oh, do you want to be people who keep it real and have their podcast forever? Or do you want to be goddamn movie stars?
Speaker 1: Are you not? Then?
Speaker 3: Go?
Speaker 1: Then then you're.
Speaker 3: Like my, like my, my trail of mistakes lives behind me, like then Jacob Marley's train, like just chains of shame, like from like oh, I'll.
Speaker 1: Just use this real name from my high school, you like.
Speaker 3: And then hit this person like that wasn't even it, just like I liked their name, like it's nothing to do with them, yes, And then I'm like, that's the level of share.
Speaker 1: They're now going impatient because of what you've done.
Speaker 3: I mean, and then like just and then like update jokes that you're like, I'll do it. I don't care, and then you're like oh right, and then yeah, like so many kinds of of these mistakes that you're like, what did I.
Speaker 1: Especially the thing with the io thing. It's like, so someone like j Lo is so famous and has been so famous for such a long time that literally everyone in the world has said something probably incredibly positive and negative about her, just because that's like a colloquialism almost, and so for her to get dragged so much for this, not only do I think it's like uncool, but I'm like, guys, this is not this is not a Pandora's box. We want to open up. Let's dig up everything everyone said on the name and it will be an apocalypse.
Speaker 3: Sketch was like why why did you say it?
Speaker 1: That was funny too, that was great they threw that line in after Friday, after that news broke. It was just.
Speaker 2: Fortuitous or the opposite in terms of like it's Io and Jlo being on the same bill for us and all, like that's the only reason.
Speaker 1: To go, yeah, that's the but it's like even that is just like, guys, it's just I don't think anyone's gonna stand by every single thing they've ever said, and it is tough, and then when a lot of people do start listening, there is a weird rub and so like, honestly that I don't think so Honey comes out a really interesting time because a lot Yeah, I catch it all the time, and like I honestly also so sometimes I only ever think, don't take my opinion seriously. I'm like a dummy with a podcast, Like I'm just trying to have fun with this, but people do take it very seriously and that's not up to me. And also like, however, and I've never heard from I've literally never heard from like an artist or anyone that's done anything out there and said what you said on your podcast really hurt me. But like I don't know, if I were to hear that, I would definitely certainly feel bad, Like I don't want anyone to feel anything but good after having listened to it, but it is a thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a good impartments.
Speaker 1: It's been so long since we've been imparted on Oh yeah, to be imparted in this way, we needed it. Well, this was just a joy and a half. I would a delight to talk to you. Enjoy the podcast so much. Thank you for even saying that. And I just mean, like truly, like this was wish fulfillment for us, to say the least, to even have you here and even know who the hell you are. So this is pleasure. Oh my gosh, we love you. We love you a lot. And oh, by the way, get tickets to the show? Is it all sold out?
Speaker 3: As the Beacon might be sold out, We have some. We still have a show coming in like Seattle. Thank you for knowing that in Portland there might still be tickets because we have to go back to the city froze and we had to cancel the show.
Speaker 1: Everyone who was.
Speaker 3: Mad on Twitter if you couldn't get to the show that still happened, you can, I think you can get tickets, Like we're not. We're doing the right thing.
Speaker 1: So everyone.
Speaker 3: Calm down, you.
Speaker 1: Can calm down. We're doing the right thing. Calm down, we're doing the right thing.
Speaker 2: That's just generally applicable.
Speaker 3: And then let me see what I should I be a professional about. Oh yeah, Girls five Eva Meredith Gardino is amazing show.
Speaker 1: Oh it's so good.
Speaker 3: All three seasons come to Netflix so you can see and yeah, you can see so.
Speaker 1: Many wonderful people.
Speaker 3: I believe. March fourteenth. I hope I'm right about that.
Speaker 1: March fourteenth. One of our dearest friends, Matt Whitaker. I love yeah with him. Sometimes he's a big We saw Appropriate the other night on Aways Together. He's a great theater going for he is great. Yes, he sees everything, he sees it all. And then Mean Girls twenty twenty four. My mom and aunt saw it the other night and their review was this, we loved it. You know it was different because it was a musical. Yeah, that was Yeah.
Speaker 3: That was one of the ones that I was like, oh, I can't do this, and I'll get I want to be like, I don't think so, honey, Little Broadway counts complaining about two lines of Revenge Party. When I bring you fucking Renee rap, I bring you Jaquelle Spyby. This is why we can't have a Antica.
Speaker 1: She she showed up to they as I was like she did.
Speaker 2: I was like, that's fucking that's her.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: When the real the original movie came out, she wasn't.
Speaker 1: No, this is see and I wonder if that's gonna happen. Is like, now we're gonna start watching it and it's gonna look like in terms of fashion, like really dated, and I'm gonna be like, oh my god, no, it's becoming the clueless of it all where you watch Clueless now and you're like, oh, can you imagine why wearing that? It's gonna be like that.
Speaker 2: So no, no, but for me, like the fashions of those movies are like President Yamber, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It's you said all back now if you if you walk out the room looking like Sharon Diane, you'll get the coolest bitch at the part.
Speaker 2: It's not even the loop back around. It's just like that just kind of looks cool in the world of the movie. Anyway. Okay, we end every episode with the song It's with Me.
Speaker 1: I know, who wouldn't want to fall in love with me?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Okay, well you should be off books. Be off book readers. Bye bye, last Cultureati.
Speaker 2: This is the production by Will Ferrell's Big Money Players and I Heart Radio podcasts.
Speaker 1: Created and hosted by Matt Rogers and Bowen Yang. Executive produced by Ana Hasnier and Hans Soni.
Speaker 2: Produced by Becka Ramos, edited mixed by Doug Baby Monika Board and our.
Speaker 1: Music is by Henry Kamerski. Hey everybody, it's me Matt Rodgers, letting you know.
Speaker 4: Tickets are on sale now to see me on tour, the Prince of Christmas Tour. That is, I'm doing my whole album Have You Heard of Christmas? Plus a lot more with the whole band all throughout December. Go to www dot Matt rogersoficial dot com See me in a city near you