Speaker 1: Hey, guys, ready or not, twenty twenty four is here and we here at breaking points, are already thinking of ways we can up our game for this critical election.
Speaker 2: We rely on our premium subs to expand coverage, upgrade the studio ad staff, give you, guys, the best independent.
Speaker 3: Coverage that is possible.
Speaker 2: If you like what we're all about, it just means the absolute world to have your support. But enough with that, let's get to the show. Good morning, everybody, Happy Tuesday. We have an amazing show for everybody today.
Speaker 3: What do we have personal?
Speaker 1: Indeed, we do lots of big news coming out of Israel where the RAFA ground invasion has begun. They've taken over a key border crossing. And there's also a lot going on with regards to ceasefire deal Homash accepted and then Israel went ahead and invaded. So we'll break all of that down for you. Also have some Trump on trial updates for you. The judge and the hush money case issuing yet another fine against Trump for violating the gag order and threatening him with jail time. So talk about that. The long anticipated meet debate lab grown meat to hopefully we're getting to it today, Hopefully Sager and I will be able to avoid talking so much that we have to skip it once again, because I know you guys are very excited about our takes on lab grown meat. Columbia has officially canceled their commencement this after they claimed that one of the big reasons they were clearing out the encampment was to get ready for said commencement. So we'll take a look at that as well as polling about how people feel about these protests, about the response to the protests, a lot of interesting stuff to get dig into. Their speaking of interesting saga, taking a look at some recent Jerry Seinfeld comments that seemed to be from like circa twenty fifteen, So that's going to be a good one. I'm looking forward to that. And on a much more serious note, we are hoping to be able to speak with a doctor who just returned from Gaza to talk to us about the conditions on the ground there and what she saw in the context of trying her best to treat patients. So very much looking forward to speaking with.
Speaker 3: Her as well.
Speaker 2: That's right, we want to get in on the ground update. She literally just returned from the war zone and she can give us actual view as to what's going on before we get to that. Thank you to everybody who's been signing up and helping us out for becoming a premium subscriber. We've got a big Counterpoints debate. Everything is ready and it's set to go. It's going to be on free speech. We won't get let give you away who the contestants are, but I think suffice to say you're going to know them, You're going to like it, and there's going to be some fiery moments. So go ahead and sign up, you guys get early access to that. On top of supporting all of our work here, we've got big plans now for the DNC. I think it is official. It is definitely going to be nineteen sixty eight ESK. We will all be on the ground there. So if you want to be able to support that type of work Breakingpoints dot com, we deeply appreciate you.
Speaker 1: All Right, guys, let's go ahead and turn two developments out of Israel and the Gaza strips. Specifically, we can put these images up on the screen, so these are images of air strikes. This has actually taken from the Egyptian side of the border. Of course, Rafa there all the way at the southern end of Gaza. These are more images you can see of air strikes that are occurring. This is I think an IDF soldier TikTok running what appears to be a tank over the welcome to Gaza sign and this was released by the IDF. I know it looks like a video game. To me, it looks like a video game, but this is official footage that the IDF released of the beginning of this invasion into Rafa. And these are more drone images that were also released by the IDF. So we don't know a lot at this point. We know that the ground invasion has obviously begun, We know there has been a significant increase in terms of air strikes, and we know there have been some additional palastidian depths. We also know that the IDF has actually taken control of the Rafa crossing on the Palace to the inside. This is something that Egyptian officials are already expressing alarm about and has major implications not only in terms of military strategy, but most significantly in terms of humanitarian situation on the ground. That Rafa Crossing is one of the most significant entry points for aid into Gaza. We know that yesterday the Israelis had closed another entry point into Gaza. This after Hamas rockets had hit a nearby military installation, and in retaliation they closed that crossing as well. This comes, of course, as the un IS saying they are Asidney McCain of the un IS officially saying, hey, northern Gaza is in full blown famine. This is creeping south. We also know in Rafa you have some six hundred thousand kids, all of whom are in bad shape, many of whom are already malnourished. And yesterday, of course reported on the fact that the Israelis had asked one hundred thousand Palestinian sheltering in Rafa to leave. I read some accounts of some of those individuals Saga, and you know, many of these people they've already been forcibly displaced multiple times. They have literally no money, they have no idea where to go. There is nowhere that is actually safe. And that's not according to me. That's according to New York Times and NPR and other analysts who have looked at the quote unquote safe zones that people have been told to move to in the past in fact, Rafa was one of these safe zones that people were originally told to move to. And now you have this long threatened invasion occurring. Let's go ahead and put this next element up on the screen. Give you a little bit of background here, because this ground invasion came immediately after Hamas had actually accepted a ceasefire proposal, and the details of that proposal are very clear. The US was involved in helping to negotiate this along with Egypt and Katar, and you know, there's a lot of details about three different phases, et cetera, et cetera. The bottom line here is that Hamas wanted to release all of the hostages in order to secure an end of the war. So all the reporting is that the Israelis, after Netanyahu, really went out of his way to try to scuttle this deal, to try to sabotage it, as we covered yesterday, by announcing after there was some indications Hamas might be favorable towards the deal, by announcing really clearly, no, no, no, We're going into Rafa no matter what, as an attempt to undercut it. Also by banning Al Jazeera that Al Jazeera obviously a product of linked to the Katari government. That was an effort to piss off Gatar as well to try to undercut this deal, because Bebie's whole play is to pretend like he's opened to a ceasefire deal for the international audience, but to really do everything to block it, and of course exposes the lie that they you know this thing that we've heard a million times, Oh, if Hamas just released the hostages, the war could be over tomorrow. Well here's Ama saying, hey, we'll release all the hostages, and isral Is like, no, we want to continue the war and we're going to go ahead right now with this invasion of Rafa. Let me just put the next piece up on the screen and I'm I get your reaction, Sager. So the Israeli media, after they were kind of stunned by this Hamas acceptance of the proposal, Israeli media started reporting that Israel was not likely to accept a ceasefire deal. They claimed it was softened or one sided Egyptian version. But again, we actually we have all the details of what this deal entailed, and it is release of all the hostages, which is something that Israel demanded. The key sticking point is that the Hamas side wants the war to end and the Israeli side wants the war to continue. One side actually wants a ceasefire and the other doesn't. So that's kind of an irreconcilable difference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's basically where we're at. This is a complicated backstory. There's a lot of sniping. People are saying this is a Hamas pr move. According to the Israelis, Basically the background appears to be this, this was a ceasefire proposal that was given by the Egyptians in Cairo with the input and knowledge of the United States.
Speaker 3: Hamas sees this deal and they're like, cool, we're in. You know, we're on that.
Speaker 2: You already saw the details, crystal, which you put up there on the screen. According to the Israelis, they were never aware of that, and according to them, the US never delivered the details of that proposal to them, and the first they had heard of it is after Hamas had accepted that. Now the US Western diplomats behind the scenes were leaking and saying that's not true, actually at all, we did communicate the details of that. They were under consideration whenever Hamas accepted that deal. Another point against the Israelis is they didn't have anybody in Cairo, so it's their fault that they had nobody at the table with Hamas and with Egypt and all the other negotiators, despite the fact that the US has been begging them to come and to be available. Because Israel is not blaming the United States for being bamboozled into a situation where they, according to them, have been screwed because Hamas agreed to a ceasefire deal that they view not as acceptable. There's also a sticking point right now around the number of hostage just to be released. The Hamas counteroffer was that they'll release thirty three hostages. That these thirty three, though are some are alive and some are dead. The Israelis say, no, we want forty hostages in the first deal, but they all have to be alive. I don't know, you know exactly who is telling the truth. It obviously is conceivable that some of these hostages have sadly perish either from you know, malnutrition, from bombing.
Speaker 1: They've been in an a war zone for a semele more.
Speaker 2: We're in bad captivity and we have no idea, right you know, in terms of it's been a long time since somebody has actually been released from Hummas. There's been some proof of life images and all that that have been released. So my only point is that in terms of the background on all of this, there is a lot of pointing fingers, but the end result is clear they're using this as a pretext to go forward with the Rafa invasion, and I do think that it's a tremendous mistake from the international community side. We can put this up there on the screen, for example, just if you look at the wording of their justification. The war cabinet has unanimously decided that Israel continues the operation to exert military pressure on Hamas in order to promote the release of our hostages and the other goals of the war.
Speaker 1: They already agree to the release of the host amas.
Speaker 2: He's like, no, no, no, we'll give you the hostages though, and they're like, but you know, we're squabbling over seven whether some are alive or dead. I'm not saying that stuff isn't important, but I think we should point crystal to the fact that there are massive protests in Israel calling for the acceptance of this. To show you that the members of hostages themselves, family members are pleading with them to.
Speaker 3: Take this deal. So that's very important to underscore.
Speaker 1: A couple things to add to that. So I want to read Mooing Raboni's ad, a fantastic lengthy thread on Twitter. I just want to read a small portion of it because it gets to what's really going on here. He says, among the key sticking points in the negotiations is that Hamas demanded an end to Israel's war, well Israel insisted on continuing it. That's, like I said, kind of an irreconcilable difference when one side wants to cease fire on the other side does not want to cease fire. He goes on to say, given this contradiction, the mediators could not incorporate explicit wording that either ended or failed to end the war and still clinched the deal. What appears to have happened is that a sufficiently vague formula was included in the proposal, paired with informal American assurances that if Hamas implemented the first stages of the three stage deal, Washington would guarantee an Israeli cessation of hostilities by the end of its final stage. So Basically, the Americans were like, listen, we can't put into this deal that it will definitively end the war. But trust us, we're going to make sure that there is a permanent cessation of hostilities. That we didn't even get to covering this because it happened on like Thursday, Friday, Saturday somewhere in that timeframe when we were off air, that actually leaked out that the Americans were telling Hamas like, no, this is actually going to end the war, even though the language doesn't explicitly say that in the deal. Then the Israelis come out. That's when you get BB saying no, absolutely not, and we're still going into rafa et cetera, et cetera, which was an attempt basically to kill the deal because he doesn't actually want a deal. And just to be really clear about the hostage situation. So first of all, the Israelis are also holding thousands of Palestinians. We've covered here and many other news outlets have covered the abhorrent conditions they've been kept in under, including torture and sexual abuse. You actually just recently had a doctor from Gaza who died from the torture that was from being tortured in Israeli custody. So those Palestinian hostages are also part of this deal. And while there are may be some quibbling about how many hostages in phase one, phase two, et cetera, very clear that Hamas has as part of this deal, accepted releasing all of the hostages and all of the remains of the hostages. Know one thing, Sager, that I've been thinking about. I was talking to Yegor about this too. He had the same thought, which is a really dark thought, which is is I don't actually think that bib Netnaho or the rest of the war cabinet wants these remaining hostages to be released and talk about what their experience was like, because basically their experience was having their lives risked by their own government, being left in a war zone for seven months god knows, and what conditions God knows what sort of injuries they sustained from, potentially IDF bombing and starvation, And I'm not sure that that's a political reality that bib Netnaho wants to deal with.
Speaker 2: Well, that happened last time around, right whenever we had the previous tranch of hostages that were released, they were all were like, you were literally bombing us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then three of them were killed.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think that the family members of these people know that, for example, we can play this video please. This happened immediately after Hamas accepted the ceasefire. This is in Hebrews, so we'll just read you a translation. But the families of these prisoners are saying Hamas has agreed to the deal.
Speaker 3: The government must agree now, otherwise we will burn the country.
Speaker 2: And there actually were massive demonstrations last night in Tel Aviv and across the entire country, led by many members of the hostage families that were begging for the government to take that deal. Because I think you're right. I think look the smart ones they know and they can see it. Now. I'm not saying all of them are unanimously of some of that opinion. I know some have come out with a different opinion as well, But you could also see there is a widespread celebration at the population level on both sides of this conflict at the idea of a ceasefire. Maybe not the Israeli government. Here, we have a video came out in the immediate aftermath that we can go ahead and play This was actually in Rafa the immediately after it was announced that a ceasefire was agreed to. You know, obviously these people didn't know what was coming in the immediate aftermath, which was the invasion. But it's important just to point out there that there is obviously a widespread want, not just at the Palestinian level, but at the Israeli level for a cease fire.
Speaker 3: But the problem is the government. Crystal.
Speaker 2: You pulled this clip which is one of the most insane things I've ever seen. Let's go ahead and play it that we have here. This is Simon Boucair. He's the vice chairman of the World Licued Arm of the party, and he says, here the abductee families, they're going to be murdered. They see what we're doing, and so then they're asking him and what they should be done. He says, I think we should have gone into Rafa already to get in, and they go okay, and then what happens. He says that they'll pop up from under the ground. There are no uninvolved civilians. You have to go in and kill and kill and kill, and she says, okay, I got it. Will that bring back the hostages? And he says we will then kill them before they get us. And they say, well, are you going to get the hostages? And he says, at the end, we will try to get them. So again, this is the international arm of the Bevinis and Yahoo Party who is on Channel twelve Israeli News Crystal. He's saying this out in the open. I think the hostage families at this point no and hear this, and that's why there's so much consternation in Israel.
Speaker 1: Actually, yeah, yeah, this is this view is not it's fairly prevalent in terms of hard right factions in Israel, and it is almost a unanimous view, I would say, in terms of the actual Israeli government administration. And you know, we talk a lot, and I think understandably so about bebing Net Nahu's calculations and how he wants the war to keep going because he needs to do that to keep his grip on power. But we should make no bones about it. The war cabinet voted unit, including quote unquote moderates, voted unanimously to invade Rapa. So you know they have their own political calculation, they're own ideology too. They are all now as being part of the war Cabinet. They are all responsible for the conduct of this war. They know they have not accomplished the purported objectives that they set out to accomplish. So they have just as much invested in keeping the brutality going as anyone else. They have as much invested in making sure these hostages can never come out and tell their story, frankly, as anyone else. And that is at odds with the population. When we brought you some pulling that even right leaning members of Israeli society think that we should prioritize getting our hostages back, even if it means sending the word, even if it means new elections, we want our hostages home. And you see that sentiment certainly expressed in the street. And you know, we're talking about huge protests, tons of thousands of people in the street saying okay, Hamas said, yes, they give us our hostages back. What the hell are you waiting for? And so, you know, a couple more things to say about this. First of all, Saga you said this was being framed as like a Hamas pr move. I think that that's I think that's fair in a certain regard, because I think they had every expectation that BB's government and by the way, US officials also were leaking to this press that they weren't engaged in good faith in these negotiations, that they have no intention of taking the deal. And so I think in a sense they did say, Okay, we're going to call your pluff. We're to say yes even to this deal that doesn't explicitly say the end of the war. We're going to take the American assurances for it, which you know, right I wouldn't recommend, but anyway, we're going to take America's word for it. This will actually result in a sensation of hostilities. We're going to say yes to a ceasefire and put the ball in your court. Bb Net, Yahoo, what are you going to do now? Because now it is exposed the entire world that all you're bullshit about concern for hostages and hey, if the if they return the hostages, the war can end tomorrow. This was all complete and unor not. So this has been clear for a while, but now it's undeniable, and I think it's undeniable to the Israeli population as well. The last thing that's really important to say about this is Biden has been sounding the oppositional alarm to a ground invasion into Rafa for months now. He even sort of kind of said it was a red line before immediately saying I'll never leave Israel, but he sort of kind of said Rafa was a red line. We've heard about these tough conversations from Blincoln just recently and Jake Sullivan and co. And these sort of vague threats that hey, we may even change US policy, we may not have unconditional support if you go into Rafa. If you especially if you go in a way that we don't like, well guess what they're doing it. So, Joe Biden, what are you going to say? What are you going to do? This is a direct rebuke. This is bebe calling your bluff and saying, yeah, you expressed concern about some other things in the past either and at the end of the day, you did nothing. You did exactly what we wanted you to do, and that's exactly what we think is going to happen now. So in that manner, the ball is now in Joe Biden's court. Do your words of concern mean anything? Does your supposed red line doesn't mean anything at all? Are you just going to let the Israelis get away with literally fit anything they want, anytime they want, till the end of time, unconditional support, no matter what, no matter how humiliating it is for you, no matter how awful it is for Palestinians. That's the real question that's on the table right now.
Speaker 2: Yep, absolutely, I mean it's humiliating for him that the fact that it even happened. And so even if he which you very likely is going to be unable to bring to the brink. So I think we all know which way things are headed.
Speaker 1: This is also another extraordinary story we didn't want to lose sight of we had covered previously. There's kind of a freak out going on in the net Nyahu government right now about possible arrest warrants being issued for net nyahuu yoav Gowan and a few other individuals and possibly Hamas leaders as well, coming from the International Criminal Court. So let's put this up on the screen. The ICC issued this rather extraordinary statement warning any entities against bullying and threatening them. Let me read you some of this. They say. The Office of the Prosecutors where their significant public interest in its investigation. It welcomes comments communication of concerns and engagement in its activities. But they go on to say independence and impartiality cannot be undermined, and they are when individuals threaten to retaliate against the Court or against court personnel should the Office and fulfillment of its mandate make decisions about investigations or cases falling within its jurisdiction. Such threats, even when not acted upon, may also constitute an offense against the administration of justice under Article seventy of the Rome Statute. That provision explicitly prohibits both retaliating against an official of the Court on account of duties performed by that or another official, and impeding, intimidating, or corruptly influencing an official of the Court for the purpose of forcing or persuading the official not to perform or to perform them properly his or her duties. They conclude, the Office insists that all attempts to impede, intimidate, or improperly influence its officials cease immediately. So they put this out and everyone was like, hmm, okay, what is what's going on? What is this about? Now we had some guesses because there had already been some reports about you know, these railies using all the tools they had about the US pressuring the ICC. But now we have these specific details of what this likely was in reference to, and this is really quite extraordinary. Let's put this up on the screen. This scoop came courtesy of Zeteo, that's Maddie Hassen's new news outlet. He got a hold of a letter that was sent from a number of high profile Republican centers, including Mitch McConnell, that directly threatened the ICC prosecutor and threatened their family members. This is this is really crazy. Let me read you a little bit of this. They say in a terse one page letter obtained exclusively by Zeteo and signed by twelve GOP senators, including Tom Cotton, Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz Kahn. That's the prosecutor is informed that any attempt by the ICC to hold net in Yahoo and as colleagues to account for their actions in Gaza will be interpreted not only as a threat to israel sovereignty, but to the sovereignty of the United States. Quote target Israel, and we will target you, adding they will sanction your employees and associates and ban you and your families from the United States. The letter concludes, quote you have been warned, so I mean direct threats being made against the ICC, their employees, their family members, direct threats made by these twelve Republican senators. They got a statement response from Democratic Senator Chris mann Holland, who said, quote, it's fine to express opposition to possible judicial action, but it is absolutely wrong to interfere in a judicial manner by threatening judicial officers, their family members, their employees with retribution. This thuggery is something befitting the mafia, not US senators. So pretty wild this situation.
Speaker 2: I was not aware of something called the Hague Invasion Act, which authorizes the US President to use all means necessary and appropriate to bring about the release not just of US persons, but also allies who are imprisoned or detained by the ICC. Who wants to guess who signed that one into Lodge George W. Book two thousand and two. Now, look, if it's one thing. If it's it's one thing, if the ICC is attacking and going after US service members, for US to exert extraordinary influence to prevent that, it's another thing to do so on behalf of a foreign nation who is not even a treaty ally who we have no obligation actually I legally to defend at all. It's just the quote unquote non but like, just so people understand, Israel has the same treaty designation or ally designation as Argentina, So you know, just so everybody understands that in terms of our actual obligations the country. Now, as we can see here though very clearly, they are saying that this would constitute an attack on the US itself, where further evidence of dual loyalty and of exactly how much these people are willing to you know, basically expend extraordinary US effort and influence on behalf of the Israeli government.
Speaker 3: It's just crazy.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's in part too because there is some risks because the US has been so involved in this assault on Gaza. So they're not crazy to see this as like this could be a problem for US too, given what we've known about these war crimes, given the you know, overwhelming support in Congress and from the presidential level to ship these weapons in contravention of US law, leave alone international law. So I don't think they're crazy to see this is like this could be a problem for US too. And speaking of the Hague Invasion Act, they actually name check it has some other like sort of like Orwellian name like the service Member Protection Act or something like that, is the official name. The nickname for it is the Hague Invasion Act because it, as it indicates, authorizes military action in the event that you know, our service members were detained or any there was any sort of you know, threat to quote unquote US sovereignty. So it authorizes extraordinary measures. And they're saying that this could be invoked. The Hague Invasion Act could be invoked even if there are just arrest warrants for Bibi Yahu yoav Goalan, et cetera. So this is this is wild, Like this is really wild. And I guess it also does speak to the fact that it's easy to dismiss like UN resolutions and whatever. Is like they don't have any you know, they don't have a police force. What do they gotta do. They're not going to actually arrest net Nyahu or whatever. Clearly from the freakout from these individuals, the direct threats that are being issued in this letter and the freakount that's been reported on from the Israeli side, they clearly think it means something. They clearly feel like this is not a little nothing that they can just handwave by.
Speaker 3: I mean, I've said this before.
Speaker 2: I don't think anybody will get arrested or anything is going to happen. But international isolation is a problem. And that's really what they're more afraid of than anything is. They just want to be able to I mean, what does anybody want. They will a land without having to even worry or negotiate or have the US to excerpt influences. Ultimately what they want bbe also backing this, putting this up on the screen. Please Yesterday was actually Holocaust Remembrance Day in Israel, and Netsan Yahu, in his message frankly, in a very insulting message to all of us, says, quote, Israel will defend itself even if it is forced to stand alone. Now, if this was a country that had not received more military aid than any other country literally in the world from the United States, it would be one thing. But this is a country that owes not only its foundation and its existence, but every military development post nineteen seventy two to the United States taxpayer. So the idea that they're forced to stand alone and it's just them against the world is bullshit.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's just insulting to us.
Speaker 2: And they just say that like as if their isolation at this point is a real because not if you look at the way that the West is supporting them to be to sell this idea that it's like oppositional, when in reality they are the greatest benefactors of the US superpower then probably maybe any other nation in the history of the world. So anyway, it just shows you that their foundational myth is like we stand alone. We stand where the underdoge, where the undergo said, come on, man, like you know not whenever you've been we've been funding.
Speaker 1: Your own country wouldn't even exist without us.
Speaker 3: It's literally the case, actually true.
Speaker 1: The UN partition plan was originally passed. It only came after we like bullied and coerced and threatened a few countries to demand their vote. Okay, So I mean it's just ridiculous, but it does speak to this sense of constant victory. We're the only legitimate victims. That's no. Number one. Everything that we do has to be seen in the context of the horrors of the Holocaust, and so since that horror was done to us, we can never be the ones perpetrating the horse. No matter what we do, we get a free pass. That's number one. And number two this self conception, which you know, people like like Christian Zionists like Joe Biden others also buy into this like outdated notion of which was never really accurate. Of Israel as the underdog, as the you know, the David against the Goliath, which is a preposterous concept when you look at the power disparity between them and the Palestinians at this point. So but he said, specifically in this message with regard to the ICC, he said, which also speaks to that dual like you know, victimhood and underdog situation. Issuing arrest warrants for Israeli officials would leave an indelible stain on the edifice of international law and justice. He stressed, the ICC was founded as a consequence of the Holocaust and should not attempt to undermine Israel's fundamental right to self defense. So again, and the ideas like because of the Holocaust, we can do no wrong. This institution isn't about making sure that the laws applied equally no matter who does it in making sure these whoors that were perpetrated against us that nothing like it can happen to anyone in the world. No, no, no, this was set up explicitly to like give us a pass and make sure that it's never done specifically to us. Which again I want to reiterate that the reporting is that the ic C of rust wots if they come, which is a big if. The reporting is that they will likely be against Israeli officials and Hummas leaders. So keep that in mind as this is all unfolding.
Speaker 3: All said, all.
Speaker 2: Right, let's turn to the Trump trials. So some major developments. Donald Trump being held in contempt again giving a speech where he says he is very happy to serve in jail. Let's take a listen to what he said.
Speaker 4: And it's a disgrace. And then you have the other thing that maybe is even more disgraces, the gag order where I can't basically I have to watch every word I tend to do. People, you ask big question, a simple question, I'd like to give it, but I can't talk about it because judge just give me a gag order and say you'll go to jail if you violated, and frankly, you know what, our constitution is much more important than jail.
Speaker 3: It's not even close.
Speaker 2: So our constitution is more important in jail, It's not even close. Allegedly, and further going on saying that he would be happy to do it. Let's put this up there on the screen. This happens after Trump has been fined for contempt the tenth time now in the trial, has been fined one thousand dollars each time a sternest warning yet from the judge who says that clearly the money is not enough and that future gag order violations would send him to jail. So obviously that is pretty significant because the thousand dollars in the exactly cracking the wallet of Donald Trump, he especially with all of his truth social stock. But this is kind of overtaken the fact that there have been some significant developments in the trial itself. The most significant testimony actually happened on Friday. I've been wanting to give everybody an update. Let's go ahead and put this up there on the screen. It entails Hope Hicks wants his most closest advisor, his communications director in the White House. She was integral to the entire operation. She gave a tearful testimony at times over two hours quote with a behind the scenes glimpse into how his inner circle operated and responded to negative media stories. So Hicks actually was testifying there about learning about the Access Hollywood tape, about what the inside of how they learned about the Karen McDougall story, who previously also alleged an affair with Donald Trump, and then also Michael Cohen's role in the Stormy Daniel's hush money payment. So Hicks, despite being one of Trump's closest advisor's crystal called here to trial to try and offer evidence as to the fact that this was a payment given to Stormy Daniels motivated purely by the campaign and not as Trump is alleging that it was a personal expense that was done on his behalf.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, a lot was made of the fact she was very emotional. Reportedly she's still quite loyal to Trump. I mean, this is someone who's known him from times. She was quite a young woman, you know, thrust into the spotlight and into this big national position, and really was especially in the early days of the Trump presidency, just at the heart of everything that was going on, and you know, in terms of what impact it has on the trial, I think it's significant her testifying to the nature of the campaign and how they operated from just a you know, interest remembering that time. It was also really fascinating to hear her perspective on what happened the day that they got, you know, the media inquiry about hey, you want to respond to this whole Access Hollywood tape. They first got the transcript from the Washington Post. She's reading through it and is like, this is terrible. And her first thing that she sends to everyone is we need to deny, deny. Very quickly, they also get the video and realize, okay, that's probably not going to be a workable strategy, and she takes you into the room where she's the person who has to talk to Trump about what is about to come out. She said in her testimony. I shared the email with mister Trump sort of verbally, and we were at the time, based on the conversation outside the conference room, trying to get a copy of the audio or the tape to assess the situation further. We weren't sure yet how to respond. We were kind of just trying to gather more information. Everyone was observing the shock of it than She's asked. When you say you shared the content verbally, did you read mister Trump the email you receive from mister Farrenhold. He was the reporter who had asked for comment on this, She says, I write him in the email. I have a rag recollection of starting to read the transcript, and then he finished reading it himself. I believe did you hand the email for him to read? Yes, that's my recollection. And what if anything did he said say? He said that it didn't sound like something he would say. Oh really, it definitely sounds like something you would say, and obviously it's on tape, but I mean it is. It's extraordinary. She says. She was stunned, hard to describe. It was definitely concerning. I had, you know, a good sense this is going to be a massive story and sort of dominate the news cycle for the next several days at least, And she indicates it was a damaging development. This is all the reason this is relevant to this case, because you might think, like, why are they talking to This isn't actually directly related to the Stormy Daniels thing is to provide insight into the way that they reacted to negative stories that would come out about Trump, especially with regards to any sort of like you know, sexual relationships or commentary, et cetera, and how much they understood these things could be damaging to the campaign, because remember, the core this question is, okay, was this payment, these payments to Stormy Daniels, Should these have been a campaign expense or were there other reasons that Trump they have wanted to bury the story, like for example, his wife not you know, him not wanting his wife to find out. So that's why this piece is relevant, trying to provide context of like, yes, this was all about the campaign. Yes, when these Neggat stories would come out, they realized they were really damaging, they moved you did whatever they could to try to mitigate that damage, et cetera, et cetera. And the speculation about why Hope was a much. I mean, anyone could kind of relate and understand. But this is someone she feels loyal to, and here she is testifying on the stand and feeling like she's providing information that's likely damaging. I think that's probably why it was difficult for her on the stand.
Speaker 2: Absolutely I will say she did give some evidence that would help be helpful for Trump. I mean in terms of reasonable doubt. She said that Donald Trump was concerned about the impact of the Stormy Daniel's news on Malania Trump, his wife, and apparently said he was very concerned about how it would be viewed by his wife and wanted to make sure the newspapers weren't delivered to the residents that morning. And quote the former president really values his wife's opinion, so giving at least room possibly for reasonable doubt. One of the things you know, I want to prepare everybody for is that it is Remember you only need one person to declare a mistrial or a hung jury. Like it's very possible to create reasonable doubt. I think he's actually presented despite all the craziness around it, you know, enough reasonable doubt for at least maybe one or two so called impartial people to say, yeah, maybe he did do it for you know, for personal reasons, and that's all you really need to actually win this. Let's put this up there on the screen. Trump is trying to turn this to really to his political advantage.
Speaker 3: Quote.
Speaker 2: Trump escalates a tax on prosecutors, says that the Democrats run a quote Gestapo administration. This was actually made at a fundraiser. My favorite part of the fundraiser, Crystal is he said, anyone who donates a million dollars here at this fundraiser can come up here and can say whatever they want. And he was taken up on it by a couple of people. So effective strategy. One million dollar donation right now, I will let you come up and speak.
Speaker 3: Quote.
Speaker 2: Two donors then came to the stage and told the crowd Donald J. Trump is the person that God has chosen. Oh so, I don't know who you are with a million dollars with beliefs like that and a million dollars in disposable income.
Speaker 3: But I guess I.
Speaker 1: Guess money really is speech. Soaga, there we go.
Speaker 2: That's right, pretty amazing. Our main takeaway again here is that Trump. I've seen a lot of analysis on this. I'm curious what you think. Trump seems to believe that him getting rested would create another mar A Lago type moment, or being thrown in jail would create a mar A Lago type moment where it would force again the Republican Party to co list around him the same way that we had the mar A Lago raid. You already see evidence that Ron DeSantis is meeting with Donald Trump and doing campaign events set in the future on the schedule together. You haven't seen Nicky Haley or any of those others come. But he remembers how mar A Lago really saved him back and I was in November of twenty twenty two, and he believes you can recreate that if he was held in contempt and sent to jail and turn it into a free speech thing.
Speaker 1: So you're ann that's what ye Yeah, yeah, I don't know, but your analysis is that he's repeatedly violating the gag order to sort of intentionally court getting thrown in prison.
Speaker 2: I think it's possible because I don't know what's the other possible reason.
Speaker 3: I mean, nobody, because he's just beyond.
Speaker 1: Pops off of the mouth all the freaking time. Other thing. It's just like wildly undisciplined. Because I mean, if I don't I think that's possible too, that he is actually wants the spectacle of getting thrown into jail and is like kind of asking for it. I think that is possible. Yeah, I don't think it's a particularly wise strategy. I wouldn't do it either, because it's one thing in the context of a Republican primary, right, Yes, that rallied all the troops around him. In the context of Republican primary in general election, I think it's very different political dynamic. He's already got all Republicans on board. I don't think DeSantis, you know, coming on board as any surprise or has really anything to do with this trial. It's just like, yeah, he's the nominee, he's very possibly the next president. If I'm going to have a political future, I better make things right with this dude. So that was always going to happen. So that piece I don't think is really connected. But yeah, the prospect of Trump actually getting thrown into jail, you know, it just brings this story to the forefront of the public. It provides images of him actually like in prison that I don't think are really great for him. And then the other thing here too, is the reason why this latest fine was levied is he was like, you know, like smearing basically the jury, which I know they're supposed to be disconnected from the media and not know what's going on, but if you're out there just like repeatedly going after the jury or the ones that are responsible for your fate, or the judge who's very important in terms of being responsible for your fate. It's not really a great legal strategy, I would say, and you're right that he has things to work with legally in this case. You know, I think, like you said, Hope Picks testified in particular with regard to the Karen McDougall story, which is relevant here, that's one of the catch and kill situations National Inquirer, that he was worried about what Malani would think and that that could be, you know, a real part of what was going on. I don't think it's a huge requires a huge leap of imagination for people to imagine that he didn't want his wife to know about his affair with a porn star, so legally has things to work with here if he genuinely is like trying to get thrown in jail. First of all, I'm not sure it's going to work, because the judge did indicate that that might be required, but also expressed a lot of understandable reluctance about taking what would be an absolutely extraordinary step. But I'm also not sure that that political analysis from Trump really holds up.
Speaker 3: We'll see. All right, let's get to the polling.
Speaker 2: That's something that we also wanted to make sure we keep everybody updated on things actually possibly looking up for Joe Biden. Always want to show the other side of the coin. Let's put this up there on the screen. Six months out quote a tight presidential race with a battle between issues and attributes. Trump has a forty six support amongst US adults and Biden forty four in a head to head matchup. But don't let that deceive you because as we see here in the graphic in front of us, this is ABC News IPSOS all adults, it shows Trump forty six Biden forty four, but if you go to registered voters you see forty six to forty five, and if you look at likely voters you actually get two.
Speaker 1: All right, how's my hairs?
Speaker 3: Gray sor right? Usually we can move last.
Speaker 1: That was a little too it's too clangy two one.
Speaker 2: Don't let those numbers deceive you though, as you guys can see on the graphic in front of you on the right, all adults forty four percent, Biden forty six percent Trump, but registered voters forty six forty five likely voters forty nine to forty five for Joe Biden, with a huge lead there, four points outside the margin of error within the likely voter sample. Now obviously that matters because likely voters of the people were probably going to vote. Now, the same actual phenomenon comes out even clearer in our next piece. Let's put this up there please. This was from NPR. Maris just came out out again just a couple of days ago. The headline there on their poll was Democrats if your fascism, Republicans worry about a lack of values.
Speaker 3: But here again, just check this out.
Speaker 2: Among people who say they are definitely voting in November, Biden's lead expands to five points, fifty two to forty seven. The survey shows Biden is doing better with groups that they are likely or definitely voting, older voters and college educated whites in particular. What do I always tell you, people don't get don't ever bet against suburban ladies and boomers, and because they'll drag their ask to vote no matter what. So I guess and this will be the most basic election analysis I've ever given. If it's a high turnout election, that's going to be really good for Donald Trump because it means low propensity voters are coming out to the polls. If it is a normal or low turnout election like let's say twenty twenty two or anything prior, then it's going to be very good for Joe Biden. Basically people who love to vote, like basically Democrats and highly educated and boomer if those are disproportionately the number of people comprise the electorate, and Biden has a huge edge. Best said, I would never bet against Trump. He has a historic track record of always being able to bring out people who are very low propensity and have never voted in the past. So I have no idea. History says one thing. We have no idea if that's necessarily a good predictor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it used to be you could kind of bacon like, Oh, the polls are understanding Trump's support. We really don't know anymore. It's in some of the polls they've been under est demanding Democratic support. So it's impossible to like even read into the polls what it might really mean. But this dynamic of Biden doing better with the likely voter screen when the polling companies are trying to look at ari who's actually going to show up and vote versus the overall electorate is a dynamic we've been seeing for a while. It's basically remember how back in twenty sixteen, I think it was Schumer who famously said for every blue collar Democrat we lose in western Pa, we'll pick up two moderate Republicans in the suburbs in Philadelphia. Can repeat that in Ohio and Illinois and Wisconsin. Basically, these poles are like, maybe that strategy is finally coming to fruition. Maybe that was actually going to work out for them this time. Maybe. If it is the case, I do think abortion is a significant part of that. And then also just like you know, the negative sentiment around Trump, you know, which one of these men do people find to be more distasteful. That's going to be a key question here as well. How to young people factor into all of this. Who are you know, not only disgusted with Biden, but some number have actually shifted to Trump. Some number are just like I'm not going to vote at all. Some number are like, hey what about these third party candidates? That's the other big question mark is these numbers were showing you are just the head to head they don't have RFK Junior, they don't have Jill Stein, they don't have Cornell West. What ballots are those candidates going to be on? I just I just don't know. I just don't know. Like it's seems to me that it is really fifty to fifty. Every day that I see a like, oh, Biden's doing okay, the next day I see a one that's like, oh, oh, Trump's winning every swing state. And I think that is another thing important thing to bring up, Zager, is it seems pretty consistent that the swing state polls appear to be better for Donald Trump than Joe Biden, whereas the national polls are more of a mixed BacT.
Speaker 3: Great point.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right, and we don't know for sure. Just to give some turnout evidence, I just have it in front of me. Midterm turnout actually was about fifty two percent of the vote in twenty twenty two, but that is ten points lower than where we were in twenty twenty. So sixty per sixty three percent of people came out eligible voters came out to vote in the twenty twenty election only fifty two percent. That's actually quite high for a midterm election, but clearly the Democrats had a major performance advantage with fifty two percent of people come into the polls in twenty twenty two, So in presidentials they're usually higher, But is it going to be sixty or sixty three? There's actually quite a big difference between those numbers, and you know who they are. But like you said, two, the swing voter stuff here really matters. At the same time, you're like, Okay, I see a poll Arizona ands say they're fed up with the economy, all that stuff. Well we saw all of that before twenty twenty two, and then what happened. They all came out on the elected bunch of Democrats, so I could see the exact same thing happening. Their state legislature has to try eight times to overturn a.
Speaker 3: Total abortion band. So I'm like, well, I don't know, you never know you're with them.
Speaker 1: You got a number of states, including Florida that I think Trump won by four points. If memory three serves three to four, that has a you know, abortion initiative on the ballot, that could be impactful. I'm not saying Democrats are gonna win Florida, but Biden seems to actually do better with old people than young people at this point, so you never know which puts. If Florida's in play, then you're like, oh, well, this could be a landslide for Joe Biden. I could honestly see it going either. I could see it all going to Joe Biden, like all the swing states plus some outlier like Florida. I could see it going to the other direction and be in like a sweep for Trump, perhaps with some assists from third party candidates. I could see the third party Canid's cutting the other way. We see Trump freaking out about RFK Junior right now. I will say just in terms of anticipating turnout, I pulling indicates, and I think the vibes indicate as well. And what we see in terms of response to the you know, horse race segments that we do here, people are way less engaged than they were in twenty twenty, twenty twenty. They're just completely apathetic. I don't blame them. I feel the same freakin way. I'm like, what kind of a choice is this that we have? Our great democracy and this is the choice we have. This is disgusting. So I think people a lot of people are like, who really cares? Who cares which one of these like terrible people ends up being the next president of the United States.
Speaker 2: Very important point, and yet we can see it in our own data. I mean, you know, our show began as an election show back in twenty twenty. We know just how ripping election coverage can be when people are interested. That is not the case these days. And actually we're doing better than most national news outlets. In fact, most national news outlets have had a reduction in their overall ratings six months a head of the election, which is insane because that's never supposed to happen. It didn't happen in twenty sixteen, didn't happen in twenty twenty. I mean, there was even more interest frankly in the twenty twelve election. You know, at that time, Obama being tested in all that. I mean, I remember, I'm sure you do too, that primary and Mitt Romney and everything.
Speaker 3: I think there was.
Speaker 1: More interest in like the twenty eighteen mid terms. Yeah, I think you're right than it's generally, you know, typically just in terms of you know, media business whatever. Typically there are a few media brands that really and we were one of these, that really like establish themselves and make themselves in and become known in the context of presidential races. I mean, this is the this is the peak. Usually the idea is that ratings and interest and clicks and views and all of that really spike and are an outlier, you know, order magnitude higher in presidential election years. And now, I mean, listen, it's it's a little early, but it's may. It's not that early, and people like who cares? And I feel the same way. Frankly, I feel the same way.
Speaker 2: I agree with you, and just give to give you even more evidence here also about how propensity and low propensity people may even turn out. We cannot erase RFK Junior. Let's put this up there on the screen. News Nation just did a poll. RFK Junior actually more popular. Here is showing with younger voters and specifically with Republicans, fifty seven percent of younger voters say they have a favorable review of RFK Junior, and amongst Republicans, he's got a very high approval rating. So let's say that you have more low propensity anti institutional folks who hate liberals or hate the Democrats, who want to stick it to somebody. Previously, they were just going to vote for Trump in twenty sixteen. This time around, they may come out and they may vote for RFK Junior if they do turn out to vote, So we cannot erase his role either in this election. There's a lot of X factors, but I agree, I mean, all indicators are right now is a much lower turnout than twenty twenty that the interest in a lot of ways.
Speaker 3: I mean, this might be.
Speaker 2: This almost feels like the nineteen ninety six election, which I think is the least important election of my lifetime, where you're like, eh, you know, you never whichever one you get.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying it won't be.
Speaker 2: Consequential, of course it will, right Like ninety six was consequential for a variety of reasons beyond the Gangrich era, welfare reform, etc. Like on a policy level, but in terms of the way people felt about it, they just didn't really care that much. And I think people do care this time around, but like you said, know that their choices are so limited that they're just turning the dial off. Mostly sports coverage, pop culture coverage and all of that is record highs, while political coverage is a very very.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think part of that I think part of it too, is the fact that you basically didn't really have a primary on either side. I mean, the Republicans went through the motion, but it was a foregone conclusion. Trump didn't even participate in the debates, So that there's a natural progression where people get engaged in the primaries, they get excited about the elections. They've got some candidate, some horse on their side of the aisle that they're getting excited about, and then you know that starts to spark interest in the stakes of the election. And so you have that dynamic of on the Democratic side, they just literally basically canceled the primary and we're like, nope, we don't care, no dissent, we don't care that the majority of Democrats actually would like to have someone else. We're just sticking with Joe. That's that. And on the Republican side, as I said, Trump didn't participate in the primaries, and he was massively ahead in the polls nearly once they people actually engaged the entire time. So there's that, and then there's just the fact that you've cut a majority of Americans who say they don't like Biden and a majority of Americans who they don't like Trump, and the most unifying sentiment in the entire country is utter disgust at the nature of our choices for this election.
Speaker 3: Big go. That's right.
Speaker 2: At the same time, the segment everybody's been waiting for lab grown.
Speaker 1: Meat really built this puppy up, didn't we Let's put it.
Speaker 2: Up there on the Florida Ron DeSantis has banned lab grown meat, as other states way a ban quote what's their beef with cultured meat?
Speaker 3: Good headline there from the USA.
Speaker 2: Today, Governor rond De Santas signed into law this bill which bans any quote cultivated meat because it has grown from animals. He says, take your fake lab grown meat elsewhere, We're not doing that in the state of Florida. To be clear, the ban does not include things like impossible meat, which is made from plant based ingredients and is meant to protect cattle ranchers and the integrity of American agriculture.
Speaker 3: Now, critics have come after Governor.
Speaker 2: DeSantis, saying that it goes against regulatory approvals that came in through the US just a year ago.
Speaker 3: There's actually been a huge backlash. Crystal.
Speaker 2: You'll find funny to know amongst the technology community. There's a lot of venture capitalists who to Florida who are very pissed off. They are calling this anti science and anti tech.
Speaker 3: However, there have.
Speaker 1: Been I think I saw like Bezos invested in.
Speaker 3: That's right, Bezos just invested a lot of money.
Speaker 1: This is the point against me. I shouldn't have brought.
Speaker 2: That Jeff Bezos to invest about sixty million dollars in Lab grown Meat company. He has picked up though, some interesting fellow travelers in the movement.
Speaker 3: Let's put this up there on the screen.
Speaker 2: John Fetterman has supported Rond DeSantis's lab Meat bands, saying quote, the fake meat is slop, and he says it pains me deeply to agree with the crass and burn ron, but I co sign this as a member.
Speaker 1: Picture of health, both Betterment and Santas.
Speaker 2: Okay, now that doesn't necessarily anything. Says as a member of Senate Agricultural Democrats, and as some dude who would never serve that slop to my kids, I stand with American ranchers and farmers. So this has picked I guess it's an interesting discussion which we wanted to have here about lab grown meat. So I will at least give my perspective and my advocacy for the bill. Now, I think it is a fair point just to preempting criticism. Why wouldn't you say this about factory meat. I agree with you. I think factory meat is poison. I was telling you us meat is actually banned in one hundred and sixty countries because a lot of the additives that we put in there, many of the ways that we have are in our meat supply Tyson's foods and all of this is repulsive and discussing, and if you have the ability, I would genuinely urge you to not eat it and to try and either buy local meat, which is a pastur ray, organic grass fed, et cetera, from people who actually both treat animals well, harvest them sustainably and responsibly.
Speaker 3: I understand it's more expensive. Not everybody can afford it.
Speaker 2: That's part of the curse, though, has been a factory and you know, vertically integrated meat production here in the United States. Now, the reason I'm against lab grown meat and all of this is I believe very strongly in a principle called the Lindy principle. This was you know, by Nassim Teleb and the idea is basically like the longer it's been around, the better it is. And there is just something deeply dystopian and terrible to me about the ideas of like the future technology companies like these tech guys Jeff Bezos and others, not just owning land where food production actually happens, but synthesizing meat and then possibly I mean, who knows what you're even gonna put into it. I mean, just imagine, you know, our current vegetables already are not even real vegetables. They're like genetically modified, and they have all this crap in them to make them last longer in the freezer car on the way.
Speaker 3: From Chicago or whatever to overhere.
Speaker 2: And I just feel like more that we do that I understand is better for feeding eight billion people at scale. So I'm not going to criticize it, I guess in that way, but I don't think it is healthy and moving more in that industrialize food way, and it's also stripping away, you know, the tradition, and I think the benefactor of cattle ranching and trying to move to a pre nineteen sixties food market, which I would like to see.
Speaker 3: I'm supportive of the measure Oka anyway.
Speaker 1: With all that, yes, so there first, let's talk a little bit of background the two things that are really driving this move to ban lab grown meat, which, by the way, what this is, I mean not that I really understand the process, but they take some stem cells, yes exactly, from an animal, animals not harmed, and they're able to use amino assets to basically like grow actual meat out of these stem cells, which is extraordinary, right and has potentially you can imagine the potential massive benefits because the meat that we consume, is Sager is actly pointing out, is actually really terrible. And industrial factory farming is also really horrifying and is bad obviously for the animals, but it's also bad for people. You have this massive use of antibiotics, which has led to you know, straight antibiotic resistant strains of infections, and that being a problem you have even like right now, there's a bird flu situation that comes directly out of the result of the way that these factory farms operate in the close integration with humans, and these factory farms which are disgusting, dystopian places, these animals are tortured from birth until the time that they are slaughtered. It's horrifying, horrifying situation. And that's before you even get into the climate impact. Okay, so that's number one. Number two, as I was beginning to say, the reason this is happening now is not because Ron DeSantis is deeply concerned about the quality of the food that our children consume. It's because number one, there's a lot of money in the factory farming industry that is concerned about this. And number two, Republicans have made it into this like culture war thing where it's like, and even Desanta says in his bill, like the World Economic Forum elites want us to eat fake meat and bugs and who cares about climate change, et cetera. So it's this culture war issue that has the benefit of also overlapping with a lot of big money interests. Fetterman, I think picking it up likely given his the demonstrated level of corruption and how influenced he is by money that is given or withheld from his campaign, I think it's very reasonable to assume that maybe a factor for him as well. But yeah, it's not like the rest of our food system is so pristine that it makes any sense to single out this one potential innovation. And then the other thing to say is this is like, this is a long way from coming to fruition.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's definitely true, right.
Speaker 1: It's still very early in the development. So, you know, I think what we talked the other day, I think it was me and Emily you were out about lunchables. Like to me, things like that are probably a much bigger problem than lab grown meat, which has all of the genetic indications of being just basically like meat. So to have a hard ban on this, it's more culture war signaling than it is actual concern for anybody's health, because if you're concerned for anybody's health, you have a lot more critiques of our food system than you have.
Speaker 3: Sure, but I mean take where you can get, right.
Speaker 2: I mean, to me, lab grown meat is the epitome of the Jurassic Park. Mean, your scientists were so preoccupied whether or not they could they didn't stop to think if they should.
Speaker 3: I mean the idea.
Speaker 2: Look, as we have seen with a lot of the regenerative farming movement and others that are out there, you can actually minimize a lot of the climate impact. You can actually raise animals sustainably, you can have much healthier meat, and you can even buy directly from the sources. One of the amazing things about the internet is you can buy meat online today and you can get a ship to your house from ups. You're going to pay maybe fifteen percent more than you would buy at the grocery store. I totally understand a huge portion of the public cannot afford that. So I am not saying that it is anywhere where it needs to be. But imagine if those people got the same federal subsidies that Tyson's Foods and Purdue Farm and all these other people are getting. I mean, that's a totally different type of food system which we could get to pro technology in the way that people could still get access to or even better buy something locally which is properly raised. So I would just say this lab grown direction is one where look, there's something both in terms of the playing god, but second, I just really believe and we're gonna talk we have a guest later who we're going to be posting later on about ozempic and there is just there is this idea of hubris where we seem to believe that we can just synthesize amino acids and that there isn't something intangible over hundreds of millions or tens of millions of years of evolution of an animal being grown from birth to wherever it is, and then us eating the animal protein that can just be synthesized through a tube into something that we're going to eat and is going to give us all the nutrients that we could ever possibly want. There's no you know, history of medical science that shows you that, like Western medicine itself right now, if you were to ask me to how to fix the bone, they know how to do that, but they don't know what makes us tick. That's why nobody has ever solved depression or you know, why you can't just take vitamins instead of eating vegetables.
Speaker 3: If it was that easy, then it would already have been done.
Speaker 2: So for me, it doesn't pass the Lindy test at all, and I think we should say that always.
Speaker 1: I mean, your tick is just basically like I assume all technology is bad, not all, but a lot, I mean, and it's very it's very dissonant with other technological like embrace of you know, the Apple Vision pro and other things that you're very life and also it's very it's very dissonant also with your you know, your view that we don't really need to worry about climate change because science is going to solve it. Well, this is one area. I mean what it's like twenty five percent of carbon emissions come from its food delivery. It's very high. So okay, this is part of science solving the climate change crisis and making it so that we don't have to make some of the more dire trade offs that some of us fear that ultimately will have to make. So listen, study it, make sure it's safe. But to just have no evidence that it's a problem and be like I'm going to ban it because I want to own the World Economic Forum elites, it's just silly. It's just silly. And like I said, it's so different than the way the entire rest of the food system is viewed. It's just this sort of like based on nothing, reactionary view that I believe, based on nothing, this is going to be a problem. When you know, it's nice that you can get like your organic whatever, small ranch raised beef, et cetera. Ninety nine percent that's the stat of animals consume for food production are factory farms and it's horrible. It's horrible for the animals, it's horrible for human beings. But I don't see Santis or John Fetterman upset about that, of course not, because that's where they're getting the money from, that is being used to drive this position. And then also this just like culture war.
Speaker 3: Virtue signal, I don't disagree.
Speaker 2: I think there's also I mean, look, I understand the whole World Economic Forum thing, but really what they are saying, let's say the best faith version of it is basically in a lab grown system.
Speaker 3: What does it mean.
Speaker 2: It means you have to go to a company in order to buy your meat. You can never actually be fully sustainable or harvest something if you want it to yourself.
Speaker 3: What okay, because.
Speaker 1: People can still have their own cat, they can still buy their meat.
Speaker 3: I mean what if they outlaw that as okay.
Speaker 1: Well, then you take a stand of back against that. But instead of saying, hey, let's study it and see and actually maybe this is healthier for people. Maybe this reduces the cost of meat so that people can have more whole foods versus the like, you know, lunchables crap that they're eating now, rather than that you're just like, let's ban it before we even know.
Speaker 2: I understand what you're saying, and I'm not disagreeing that it is a culture based argument. Yeah, only telling you where it comes from. The skepticism. Again, for me, it doesn't pass Thelindy test literally at all. The idea that you can just grow something in a lab and that's going to replace it. If again, if it were true, then vitamins would have replaced all of vegetables. But all medical scients would tell you that a vitamin is not a direct you know, is not a direct substitute. Now, could it get there maybe, but they've been trying, you know, for what forty fifty years, So in this case, maybe they will get there. But it does seem like, just look, it makes me uncomfortable the idea that these people are trying to consolidate the food system such that the fake.
Speaker 1: System is already consolidated.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but we can have a problem. We have some level of self exit.
Speaker 2: Right now, I'm saying, what if we get to the point where you have a total control of the food system there, which I do think that.
Speaker 1: There is actually competitor to the consolidated food system. That's why there's a reaction against it from the political class because of these monopolists who want to be able to continue their factory farming with no alternative and have consolidated the marketplace. That's exactly the problem. They don't want a competitor.
Speaker 3: Well, but they don't.
Speaker 2: The competitors who are coming in are Jeff Bezos and the Facebook. The VC guys who I see tweeting about this on Instagram or on are on Twitter, who are you know, multi billionaires or have funds themselves. It's like Facebook taking over the monopoly of newspapers is like did we win? I mean, like if that's competitions not necessarily a good competition, Like is the new boss really as good as the old boss or is it just basically the exact same type of boss that we have here?
Speaker 1: Not?
Speaker 2: Again, is DeSantis corrupt? Do they really care about the food system? No, because they're from the top sugar producing state in the whole country. Like I'm with you, Like I'm not saying that it's not a good thing. If we could ban sugar, we probably better off doing that than we would with lab grown meat or any of this other stuff. But we could go after the agricultural subsidies and Purdue and Tyson's and all these other companies, and you know, like lunchables, which is I don't even know if that doesn't even qualify in my head as meat or hot dogs or so many of these other things with all those disgusting additives and things like that.
Speaker 1: Hot dogs are a great point. Actually, yeah, no, people are fine with hot dogs. You're worried about this, Okay, looked by the way, hot dogs.
Speaker 2: Fut and I don't eat any hot period. I'm not putting that poison into my body.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, listen, if you actually care about the food system, you would do a lot more good rather than banning something that hasn't even really been developed yet. You do a lot more good, just like killing the corn subsidies and the sugar subsidies and putting those subsidies instead towards whole foods, whole fruits, vegetables, meat, et cetera. But for some reason, political.
Speaker 3: Classmen, I think that's a fair point. Yeah, we were just trying to zoom out a little bit.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get to what's going on in terms of the college protests panic across the country. Some significant news broke yesterday with regard to Columbia University, let's put this up on the screen. So they announced their decision yesterday to cancel their university wide commencement amid protests. This headline says, and they cite specifically some vague quote unquote security threat. Note that previously the justification for like bringing in the cops and clearing out in the encampment and all that was, Hey, we got to like, we got to get it together so we can host a commencement. Could put this up on the screen. This is part of the statement from the President of Columbias. It's going to take time to heal, but I know we can do that. I hope we can use the weeks that head to restore calm, all our students complete their academic work and honor their achievements at commencement. But apparently, I mean, I don't think anyone should take their like security threat thing here seriously. They're worried about it being disrupted. They're worried about a show of you know how widely supported these protests are not only among the students, but among the faculty. They're panicked about, you know, the donor class meltdown that they've already seen, and so like UCLA before them, they decided better just to cancel it all together so no one can see any potential exercises of free speech. Because I'm Cyer recovered yesterday. There have been graduation ceremonies that have had protests. It hasn't been a big deal. You know, some people stand up with flags, they you know, get cheered or boot or whatever. They're scorted out and that's the end of the story and it really continues with their day. So you know, there's I guess two things to say. Number One, like I said, it's not about security, it's about they don't want to be embarrassed and they don't want to be out of control. And number two, you know, this has everything to do with the manufactured panic that has been created and they just want it to end and be able to, you know, silence everyone in move.
Speaker 2: It is about the donors and the parents who would be coming there more than it is about anything else. Obviously, as as evidenced, like you said, at previous ones, there were annoying protesters. By the way, at my graduation, if I recall, I think it was at the height of Ferguson.
Speaker 1: It's very common to we did at mine as a but I can barely even remember because it wasn't even like that big a deal.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm with you, I agree with you. I mean, I don't particularly care I remember. But at the same time, if I recall, the university was like, there will be no political songs on people's hats. And then people did it anyway because they're like, what are you going to do? Care well my degree? Yeah, and then people's parents were some people's parents were outrage, and other parents were supporting. I guess this is a time honored tradition. Let's put the next one, please up there on the screen. This kind of gets to some of what we previewed yesterday about where we were going to talk about. There's been some interesting new polling now about how Americans feel about these quote pro palest Indian college protests.
Speaker 3: So I'll go through support and oppose.
Speaker 2: The top line US adults is twenty eight percent strongly or somewhat support, not sure twenty four strongly or somewhat oppose is forty seven percent, so deflarent plurality. Now there is an age gap eighteen to forty four. Forty percent strongly or someone support, thirty one percent not sure, thirty percent strongly or somewhat oppose, forty five and older basically completely flipped. You got sixty two percent who completely opposed, nineteen percent only who support.
Speaker 1: Ninety wild age gap.
Speaker 3: What do I tell you about boomers votes? What I college graduates?
Speaker 2: This is another important one, important to me because it's the support figure and the don't know figure which are really interesting where the oppose is relatively similar. So you got thirty eight percent college grads who support, fifteen percent not sure, forty eight percent of pose non college is twenty four percent support, twenty nine percent is not sure as in probably just don't care, and then forty seven percent who oppose. Amongst Democrats, you got forty six percent Democrats who support independence, twenty four Republicans sixteen. And then on the opposition you've got thirty one percent Democrats, forty four percent independence, sixty nine percent Republicans. Not a surprise, they've got a breakdown there by religion. But do you want to comment on this before we go through more of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I'll just say I actually to be honest with Hugh this, you know, as someone who does support the protests. Given what I know about historic disapproval of protests, and given what I've seen in terms of being overwhelming media and political class manufacturing of consent around these protests, I'm actually surprised aren't worse, Like the fact that you still have eighteen to forty four year old's plurality of whom are in favor, the fact that the Democratic number, I mean, Joe Biden is really going against his own base, because there's a very clear plurality forty six percent of Democrats who are in support specifically of the college campus protests and only thirty one percent who oppose. You know, the religion gap is also quite quite extraordinary, quite notable. But to be honest with you, these numbers are not as bad as I frankly feared.
Speaker 5: That they would be.
Speaker 2: Interesting, I cope, in my opinion a little bit, because there's still forty seven percent of pose figure there in terms of the plurality of the public is against it.
Speaker 1: But if you look at like Vietnam War protests, which we have these numbers, we can get to in a message that they were way more negative than this.
Speaker 2: So, oh no, we'll get to that. Let's go to the next part this is about too harsh or not harsh enough. This again is where I would say there's some warning signs. Amongst US adults, thirty three percent the plurality here at least in this one are saying that has not and harsh enough of a response. Thirty one percent not sure about right, twenty sixteen percent say too harsh eighteen to forty four. You've actually got a plurality who are saying it's about right or not sure. Twenty two percent say too harsh, sixteen percent not harsh enough. But again look at that older figure. Forty five percent and older forty five and older forty eight percent are saying not harsh enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and twelve loves there. They love their order.
Speaker 2: College graduates actually very similar. There's definitely more who will say too harsh, but there's still a plurality amongst college grads for the not harsh enough figure. Same for the non college graduates figure, although if the number is higher amongst not sure amongst Democrats, even the about right figure is the one that really takes the cake at thirty percent, So even amongst people who necessarily support the protests are saying it is about right for the police response Republicans and independence. Independence actually relatively split Republicans obviously saying it's not been harsh enough, and then a similar breakdown there amongst religion. Finally, let's go to the next part. This is just on the latest parts. This is about protecting free speech. This can be relatively grim as somebody who definitely supports a free speech do Americans think cologists would focus more on protecting free speech or stopping hate speech? US adult citizens say both equally, even though stopping hate speech is a fake thing and is not real.
Speaker 1: I mean, you can understand how people say it though you know, yeah, I mean, this is one of the most unifying questions. Actually, where you see some divides among like older people are more likely to say stop hate speech was most people who are like yeah both, Like I want to predict hate speech is bad and free speech is good. Let's do both. So I don't know, even though from an ideological perspective, obviously I think protecting free speech is more important, but it doesn't I understand why they got these results.
Speaker 2: I guess I would say, I see what you're saying. Yeah, you're a no one personally not thinking, well, actually, there's no speech as opposed to free speech.
Speaker 1: But yeah, technically the first timement even applies it.
Speaker 3: You're like, which is true?
Speaker 1: You're like, let's do both. If both's an option, let's do both. Right, Okay? Fair enough?
Speaker 2: As Crystal teased, though, there definitely is a difference in terms of Vietnam War.
Speaker 1: Before we get to that shirt, I want to ask you, because I want to ask you what your takeaway or what you think the implications of these polls are.
Speaker 2: My implication is that it's either a wash, it will be marginally important. But the reason why I actually don't pay attention to much as this as I do to there was a recent column we didn't cut it unfortunately that I just read this morning about why this is very different from Vietnam is that all of the polling that we have says that Israel Paleson is not number one or even top five, and if anything, is a fifteen out of sixteen issue for the vast majority of people, including for young people, whereas in Vietnam, Vietnam was top five and in many cases was number one and number two.
Speaker 3: The truth is that most people either.
Speaker 2: Don't care or they're marginally just like kind of interested they're like, yeah, whatever, those chaos. Maybe I'll support it, maybe I don't. And the real evidence to me was the huge not sure numbers in all of these because one things that really comes out in Vietnam, people were damn sure how they felt. They either felt strong or opposed, because people had thought a lot about Vietnam, Whereas with this one, I mean, look, I've said this before. If you watch the show every single day, you're in like the top one to two percent of news consumers in this whole country. And yeah, you know, we cover the news in the same way. If you go to the front page of the New York Times Israel, white House, Trump tile trial and all that stuff, maybe five ten percent of the country you know, actually checks in every single day. Because at that time, one point nine million Americans had been drafted into the armed forces fifty five thousand killed, the level of civic, like, the level of civic engagement around the issue was just so much higher that I just I don't really see it making all that much of a difference. Based on the polling, I would say I would probably be on the side, you know, polling just pure like popularity wise of either the about right figure or of the crackdown. That just seems to be the more popular spot. I'm not saying I support that. I don't for free speech purposes, but I'm just telling you, like, for political purpose, that's probably where I would align if we're a politician.
Speaker 1: So you think Joe Biden is handling.
Speaker 2: This well, unfortunately, he's probably doing them his best given the coalition that he has. He's got the suburban ladies, he's you know, the abortion ladies are coming out to vote for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I heard them.
Speaker 3: The boomers are loving it.
Speaker 2: The young people mostly don't vote in particular, they're making life miserable for everybody else. It's like, well, you know most people, we know how that turns out. Most people going to turn against that, even amongst colleges.
Speaker 1: Who are they making life miserable for it? Well, this unimpacted your life for my life, I mean, it's different than.
Speaker 3: I'm just waiting to get stuck in traffick.
Speaker 1: It is different from like the Black Lives Matter protests. So we've obviously we've talked about that. So I think your point about the probably more important numbers are how many for how many people? This is a critical issue, right, This is their number one issue. This is their voting issue. And I agree with you. I think that's probably a small number, but it only really takes a small number. Yeah, well see, you know, I mean, look at the uncommitted vote in Michigan. There were a few states where the uncommitted vote itself in a Democratic primary was larger than the margin that Joe Biden won against Donald Trump. So you know, in that way, even if it's only a small percentage, you say this is my number one issue, you clearly have some part of the young population in particular, who were likely Biden voters who were like, no, not doing it. Can't vote for someone who is funding a Jen'm just not going to do it, And that's a problem for him. The reason I disagree about his response goes back to the analysis. It's similar to the analysis of why I thought he made a big mistake in terms of how he handled immigration. Okay, And there's studies, especially of politicians in Europe that show when they try to move to the right and be like no, I'm actually an immigration hardliner as well, it demoralizes their base and divides their base, and it seeds ground to that right wing perspective. So that if people are like, oh well, even this guy agrees with the the right on immigration, So why am I going to go for the water down version of that? If I want the law and order crackdown, dude, I'm going with Donald Trump all day long. So I think that's number one. Number two is that the thing that has caused the impression of like chaos is not actually the students who are in relatively small numbers on each of these campuses, like setting up tents. It's the crackdown. It's the police response. It's the police coming in brutalizing these students. In fact, the initial crackdown at Columbia sparked a massive increase in these protests across the country. So I think the response itself has created this impression of chaos. That is a problem for Joe Biden with his like moderate suburban voters. Now, in my opinion, those moderate suburban voters are already voting for him, like they're not going back to Trump. They're voting for him. Many of them very energized by jobs. As you're accurately pointing out, this issue is not important to them. They don't really care either way. So I think he has Number one divided his own basic coalition. We see that in some of the numbers. Number two further alienated some potentially small but also potentially determinative number of young people who are like you just called me a Nazi, Like, no, I'm not voting for you, and there's nothing you can say it's going to change my mind at this point. And number three has created exactly the scenes of chaos that can lead to a conservative backlash that is not going to be like your law and order to do. They're going to be like Trump's law and order do. That's own going man.
Speaker 2: Counter to what you're saying is BLM is that if Joe Biden had embraced defund, he one hundred percent would have lost.
Speaker 3: I'm absolutely convinced of it.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 3: He basically tries to distance from the protest.
Speaker 1: He actually was. He were much more sympathetic so rhetorically to BLM than he was here one.
Speaker 2: But he did enough of a job of dissing himself from the violence and not all riot is the voice of the unheard, and everybody's suddenly MLK Junior all of a sudden back. In twenty twenty, No Black Squares on Instagram and no anti racism in Brahem Kendy, and that was enough for some moderate voters to come along with him.
Speaker 1: But let me say, though, that contradicts some analysis from you in the past, where you've said, and this is true even you know, you've made this point about Republicans an abortion for example, or with the Democrats, like even though I don't know, did any Democratic politicians elected members of Congress, did any of them actively say defund the police? Joe Biden certainly didn't. But your point was assailient one, which is like, it doesn't really matter because they're associated with this thing, right, And Joe Biden was associated with that thing. He was, as I said rhetorically, much more sympathetic to the protesters, was very clear about yes, I condemn the violence, but let's not use that to distract from the core issues in these core concerns, which are legitimate. And you know, obviously he became president of the United States.
Speaker 2: The point I'm trying to make is that I definitely think he paid a political price. I think though that if he had not navigated it in more of the way that he did, which was trying to split the difference, like in a kind of establishment friendly way.
Speaker 3: I think he would have lost. I think if he'd.
Speaker 2: Been more AOC on the topic, let's say, in terms of people are stealing bread because they're hungry, and more like, listen, you know, we got to hear people out.
Speaker 3: But at the end of the day, I don't condemn violence. He would have lost the election.
Speaker 1: So let me make the counterpoint, which is that if you look back at the polls, when Trump really started to have a problem was after remember the whole Bible photo op and the I don't remember which federal agency it was. There are peaceful protesters that were like cracked down. The horses came in. It was crazy, it was great, and there was a huge backlash to that. And the problem part of the problem for him in terms of his response at the time is there was chaos and it was happening under him. So my point is that Joe Biden, by green lighting this crackdown, has created the very chaos that yes, is a problem for him, and that it sort of doesn't really matter what he says about it because the chaos is happening under him. And if his response is to be like, we need a crackdown and who we'll see what he says about college student protesters today is giving some big speech on anti Semitism. Like, if you're looking for the if you were horrified by what you're seeing on college campuses and you want the law and order guy, that's never going to be Joe Biden. That's going to be Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: The thing is about the Trump thing, though, is that there were a majority of the public at the time who supported calling in the National Guard in response to the riots.
Speaker 3: So it is more complicated.
Speaker 2: And I don't disagree he owns a chaos because in a lot of ways he was like police response, but then wouldn't go all out, and he was all over the place in terms of his Bible and then what he hid in his bunker during the protest. I remember that being a big story as well. And don't forget COVID on top of that either. So you're not wrong. He paid a price, for sure. Now was it all rights? Was it COVID?
Speaker 3: I mean it's very difficult to say. I guess.
Speaker 2: Just focusing on this, let's turn to Vietnam because this is actually important instructive.
Speaker 3: Let's put this up there on the screen.
Speaker 2: For example, how Americans felt about the campus protests against the Vietnam War. So, as you accurately pointed out in your monologue yesterday, a majority of respondents blamed the students, not just for violence, but specifically in the debts of the four students.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we actually have put the next piece up because we have an overall number about approve or disapprove of public protests seventy five, which is why I'm like, well, the protests perception now is actually not that bad compared to this.
Speaker 3: No, You're not wrong.
Speaker 1: The other point I want to make about this, which was which was noteworthy to me and looking into this, is that you know, this was taken in November sixty nine. At this point, public sentiment had already really turned against Vietnam. You had a majority, in fact, I have somewhere the actual numbers, but you had a very clear majority who were opposed to it. I said it was a mistake to ever send US soldiers there, and you had I think it was somewhere in like the thirties who were still supporting it. So even though public sentiment at this point agreed with the protesters, there was this very like visceral reaction against the protests themselves, which is you know, it's just interesting that that can be two separate questions, so they could support the issue in general but also be like, you know, no to these protests.
Speaker 2: It makes sense to me, though, because what you're saying is actually, unfortunately was very different in terms of Vietnam context. So even though the majority the people who had supported and said it was kind of like Iraq, where we're like, well, we never should have gone, but now that we're there, we need peace with honor. And that was Nixon's entire thing. And that's again I think point the protest. What I mean, Remember Nixon is elected in sixty eight and escalates the war in Vietnam. The number of debts actually increased, we have the secret bombing of Cambodia. Vietnamization doesn't happen until later on in the nix In presidency, where US soldiers are still dying by the hundreds every week in Vietnam.
Speaker 3: It's insane actually to go back and to think about.
Speaker 2: So I kind of think that the protest movement, you know, in terms of the evidence from back in the day, is very strong for the fact that it was an immediate backfire. It didn't work in the immediate term or the near term. We didn't really look back, like quote unquote fondly on Vietnam War protesters until like the nineteen nineties when Bill Clinton was elected. Actually, this was an important thing in the ninety two election, when I think hw Bush called him a draft dodging bum or something because he got a college exemption for a Rhodes scholarship, and he had hair and he smoked weed at the Vietnam protests, and that was the first time it kind of didn't matter that somebody had opposed the Vietnam War.
Speaker 3: And that was thirty years later after.
Speaker 2: Something so saying the political fallout from those protests basically led to quasi republican rule from nineteen sixty eight with a brief aberation of Jimmy Carter up until what, yeah, nineteen ninety two. The same thing actually can be said of the civil rights protests. Do we have the sit in graph?
Speaker 1: We do, that's like I think the last graphic that we have.
Speaker 2: So this question, this is an important one too. This gets to what I talked about previously. Nineteen sixty one, people are asked about the sit in protests. Do you think sit ins at lunch counters? Freedom busters and other demonstrations by Negroes will hurt or help a Negro chance of being integrated in the South. Hurt fifty seven percent, help twenty seven percent.
Speaker 3: Now you can look at that two ways, you can say, and I.
Speaker 2: Totally disagree with whoever this tweeter is as the most iconic and effective protest movement. I don't think it was effective actually at all in the moment. And this gets to a point that I was dying to bring up with you, which is about abolition and about how the history of these things actually happen. So in eighteen sixty eighteen sixty one, you have the Southern secessionists, they go out and the radical Republicans come to link and they're like, we got to do abolition, man, we got to do the emancipation Proclamation. It's time the rabble rousers are gone. And Lincoln famously says, I would like to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky as in, we have to have the border slave states who stay within the Union.
Speaker 3: So who was correct?
Speaker 2: In the long run, the practical political you know, practitioner Abraham Lincoln, who understands abolition, is becoming incredibly unpopular that these radical abolitionists quote unquote who we view fondly now at the time, but who had maybe nine percent approval rating, you know in eighteen sixty. What were they correct, you know to try and to push him to do something that was very unpopular or was he correct to basically lie about his position and work within the political system at the time and force abolition and the emancipation through basically as a war aim lying to the American people and saying, well, we're doing it to win the Civil War. It has nothing to do actually with black liberation, even though that's an end result. And I think that's a very important question, is like, you know, who is who is really responsible?
Speaker 3: I would say Lincoln is the one who is.
Speaker 1: Well, so let me ask you that is your opinion that no protest movement in history has ever mattered or been successful. But that seems to be what you're laying out here.
Speaker 2: But I'm giving people good evidence. But the chances of a Civil Rights Act was zero.
Speaker 1: You're creating a binary choice though. I mean, what you're basically saying is the only thing that matters is these individual great men. None of the social movements, none of the protest move the sit ins, the freedom writers, the abolitionists, the suffragettes, the anti apartheid protests, and none of these things matter at all. All that matters is that you get one dude in there who's going to do the right thing. And I think that that is a fundamental misreading of history. I think it's you have to have a confluence of factors, right. The social movements are critical, having like the labor movement, pressuring FDR. These things are critical for pressuring these people in power to make these steps in history that are important. So I just can't go along with the idea that protest never works, it always backfires, It's always fool hardy, you know, because when I look at the lunch counter sit in numbers, like the conclusion is the exact opposite. It's not only do people disapprove, they found it disorderly, chaotic, etcetera, etcetera. Just like the reaction you know, among many to the protests. Now, not only that they said this is going to hard, this is going to create a backlash, just like you're saying this is going to be a problem, it's going to make it worse. And I don't think any reading of history can look at that and say that's accurate. And so the fact that a protest movement is not accepted by NORMI Americans is you know, uncomfortable for them, rejected where they think it's going to be backlash, et cetera is not at all determined if you look at history of how successful those movements are ultimately going to be. So, you know, the apartheid movement eighties is like a great example of that, you had to say, And it's probably a more close example to Israel than Vietnam, because you're right, there was much more focus on Vietnam. It was much longer period of time. You had Americans getting drafted, you had Americans dying. I mean, this was massive, right. The apartheid example, I think is a much more closely related one. But you still had the same like normy backlash. You still had I feel like freed Zakaria out there, you know, like what are you kids doing? And yeah, you was on the wrong side of that one. Yeah yeah, that got dug up recently in terms of context of it whatever. Anyway, But they mattered, they helped. Were they the only thing? No, But they were part of a global movement combined with internal struggle with in South Africa itself that contributed to a climate that ended that racist regime. So I guess my question for you is, like, put yourself in the shoes of these college shoes and I don't know, you don't agree with their perspective, that's fine, but I think you are. I think you understand they're not doing this for like clout. They genuinely feel very passionate that there is a genocide that is being conducted in their name with their dollars, and they want to do whatever they can think of to do to throw some sand into these gears and to desperately try to stop these horrors that they see unfolding in front of their eyes. Like, what would you tell them to do?
Speaker 3: It's a tough question.
Speaker 2: I mean sometimes you have to understand too that you have no influence on the system. I mean I felt this way whenever Congress passes Ukraine AID and we spend two years talking about how it's useless, how it's a stupid cause, how it's just going to waste more life, and we get the majority of the American public on our side, and then Congress passes it. Any Way, what did I do the next day, I put on my suit and I came back to work.
Speaker 3: I mean, like, what else are you going to do? Always got a beat.
Speaker 1: No significant protest movement with regard to Ukraine, And I think it is not correct to look at the response of Joe Biden the Democrats and say they're not feeling the pressure the very they very clearly are. I mean, I think, like we know the US was involved, and I believe this reporting was involved in trying to secure this ceasefire deal. Barack Ravine, who is you know, the White House whisperer, and all of this is saying like they see this as really important politically, because but Joe Biden obviously doesn't care about Palestinians, He's obviously committed Zionist. He is feeling political pressure from this protest movement. That to me is very clear. And so since we don't really live in the kind of democracy where the majority like rules and just you get public sentiment on your side and that's it, that pressure that he feels from this movement is what counts way more than whether Normanis are upset about a campus building and a window broken and the you know, what's the encampments, the disruption itself is creating the pressure. That is the thing that could I'm not saying it's guaranteed, but that could change things.
Speaker 3: I don't disagree.
Speaker 2: I do think there's we're flirting right along the line right now of the same danger that happened back in the nineteen six where the disruption can turn and can actually be going against the disruption can become a political asset. The reason I bring all these things up is not because I revel in the fact that America was frankly very sympathetic with the Jim Crow South, or at the very least didn't think it was their problem. It's only to say that I know that that was the reality, and so like, let's you know, the sit in thing is the perfect example. Like this person calls it the most effective protest, It's just not true. Nineteen sixty one was a time when the President of the United States, John F. Kennedy and Robert F. Kennedy, his Attorney General, support rhetorically the civil rights protesters. At the day that Kennedy died, the likelihood of a civil Rights Act being passed zero percent. It was his death and LBJ that eventually the genius of LBJ ushers in the nineteen sixty four Civil Rights Act. But then even to say that you know that these people were wrong. I don't think they were wrong. The truth is that race politics then rules the Republican Party in the South for what nineteen sixty eight, race riots are basically the reason that Nixon gets elected. Then Ronald Reagan, everybody seems to just forget this, happens to launch his nineteen eighty campaign in Mississippi at the very heart of like some serious segregationist sympathies. I mean, the year I was born, in nineteen ninety two in the in Texas, fifty percent of the public did not support interracial marriage, which is nuts.
Speaker 3: But that actually happened in the year that I was born.
Speaker 1: But the question then, the logical question of that then is okay, so was it worth it? And I think most people would say myself included of course, of course getting the Civil Rights Act passed and ending segregation, ending Jim Crow, even knowing that it did create this You know this, LBJ. We lost the South for a generally him being right, like he knew that that was going to happen, it was still worth it. And so you're Like, if your argument to me is like, oh, now Democrats are going to lose elections, you think I fucking care about that. I don't care about.
Speaker 3: That's a fair point.
Speaker 1: Like if I knew that Democrats were going to lose elections for the next twenty years straight, but the genocide in Gaza was going to end, sign me up for that deal today. And I think that's the way that many of these students, they're not worried about how Democrats are going to do in the fall. The fact that they're a threat to democratic electoral chances is the only thing that gives them power because the Democrats certainly don't care about human life in Gaza. So yeah, it's a problem for Democrats electorally. Their policy in Gaza is a problem for them electorally. The way they're treating them people is a problem for them electorally. The chaos that they themselves created is a problem for them electorally. And to that, I say, good, it should be. It should be a problem for you.
Speaker 2: I agree, and I'm glad. I mean, you're honest about it. But they're not right. I mean, these people are craven self interested with politicians, like I'm saying you, and the protesters are like, yeah, we don't care about the Democrat.
Speaker 3: I'm with you, by the way, I'm with you.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying for them is these pos politicians, they're craven, they don't care, they're you know, narcissistic. All they want to do is really get re elected right at the end of the day.
Speaker 1: Which is why causing problems for their reelection is the only strategy, because it's not like we've.
Speaker 3: Been, it's more electorally beneficial, which we have been.
Speaker 1: There, we've been, you know, ceasefire has been a majority of position since like day two of this war. Definitely, public opinion has been on the side of these protesters, not maybe in terms of the protest tactics, but in terms of what they're actually protesting for a long time now, and it hasn't matter. So if this is your number one issue, if you cannot sleep at night, see like seeing these children starving to death, children being bombed, knowing these are tax dollars, Like what else are you going to do? This is the the only And they have been so disciplined, ninety nine percent nonviolent, Like the worst thing they've done is break a window and enter one campus building. Okay, that's that is incredible discipline, very big contrast definitely with the seventies protests and with the Black Lives Matter protests as well, Like this is the this is not guaranteed to work, but at least it has a chance of working. And I think that's that's all you can That's all you can bet on, is that, like, I'm doing everything I can think to do. I'm being principled in my non violent tactics, which they really have been. And even now, even with the I mean incredit, I've never seen a media propaganda campaign like what we're seeing with this. I genuinely this is beyond war and tearor whole of politics, congressional response banning, TikTok, Dana bash and you know Fox News making common cause with bab Net and ya whoever these kids are Nazis and Joe Biden, mcgrid, the whole bit, everybody in league. And you still have a clear plurality of Democrats who are like, no, I'm with the protesters. I mean, that is kind of that is pretty extraordinary. Like the Democratic base is quite split with specifically regards to the protest tactics in spite of the most insane propaganda campaign I've ever seen, and American public is very clearly on the side of the protesters in terms of wanting to secure a ceasefire and the end and not supporting for their aid to Israel and saying that Israeli military has gone too far, like they're on their side and that. So, yeah, I think this is the only thing that has even a chance of making a difference. And so I you know, I say, God bless these protesters, Thank God for them.
Speaker 3: We'll find out. We'll find out whether there's a cost or not.
Speaker 1: All right, Siger, what are you looking at?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: Political correctness is killing comedy. That's a sentiment I may have agreed with, like seven years ago, when Louis c. K lost tens of millions of dollars over a New York Times story and decades old allegations. It's a comment maybe I would have agreed with when comedy movies themselves were basically stopped being made in Hollywood, like a decade ago, as the latest Marvel films were coming out.
Speaker 3: But it's not really a sentiment.
Speaker 2: That I agree with anymore, and in fact, increasingly think is being used by people who aren't funny to complain about their own mediac This monologue was really inspired by both the hoost of Tom Brady that I watched on Netflix yesterday and juxtaposed next to another Netflix star, Jerry Seinfeld. Seinfeld is hot off of his latest project, Unfrosted, where doing his media tour he made some interesting comments about comedy and what is stifling it.
Speaker 3: According to him, let's take a listen.
Speaker 6: Oh Cheers is on, Oh Mash is on, a Mary Tyler Moore is on, all the families on. You just expected there'll be some funny stuff we can watch on TV tonight. Well guess what where is it? This is the result of the extreme left and PC crap and people worrying so much about offending other people when you write a script and it goes into four or five different hands, committees groups. Here's our thought about this joke. Well, that's the end of your comedy. They move the gates, Like in the scheme culture, the gates are moving. Your job is to be agile and clever enough that wherever they put the gates, I'm going to make the gate.
Speaker 3: So Gordon and seinfeldt the extreme left and PC crap has killed comedy. Now.
Speaker 2: Maybe there would be something to that if it wasn't for the fact that the movie he produced, Unfrosted, is probably one of the dumbest Anadyne and Born comedies that I've ever had the indignity to suffer through for research purposes of this monologue. What really revealed to me, though, is how dumb Seinfeld's take here is, especially with the release of the Tom Brady.
Speaker 3: Roast that just happened. Now, everyone should go watch this roast.
Speaker 2: I don't even watch football, and I got all the references, but what I really took away from watching it was how dead political correctness and so called woke left limits on comedy are.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: This is mainstream comedy roast on the most establishment of all places, Netflix, with people like Kim Kardashian and Ben Affleck in attendance. It's about as establishment as it gets. And with that, they allowed the madman Tony Hinchcliff to sound off like this.
Speaker 7: Tom is afraid of the giants, which is why Kevin Hart is hosting Tonight All Night. He's been using the stool that Aaron Hernandez kicked out from under himself is so small that when his ancestors picked cotton. They called it deadlifting. Tom Brady is a Patriot, which is surprising considering he looks like a Confederate fag. Clearly your ex wife takes after you. I hear she's out there draining balls right now. People love you, Tom. You have the same fan base as Kyle Rittenhouse Gronk. I'm happy you could take a break from writing Santa letters to be here today. I knew you were here when we were all out of chocolate milk backstage. You look like the final boss in George Floyd the video game. Jeff is so Jewish he only watches football for the coin toss. Nikki has such a bad eating disorder the industry keeps shoving her down our throat. You might recognize over our podcast appearances, specials and winning the Triple Crown at Churchill Downs. You might recognize Kevin is the jockey that wrote her, and that's Churchill Downs the racetrack. Not to be confused with what Jeff Ross looks like when he smokes a cigar. Sam Jay in Obese African American lesbian. So by having here, Netflix checked off a lot of boxes. Andrew Schultz, I'm glad you took a break from watching YouTube videos on how to tap up black dudes. Correctly, Schultz's mom is a professional ballroom dancer, which means she's a stripper that talks too much. Bert Kreischer is a king. He looks like at the Tiger King and the Liver King, only ate Burger King and had a liver that looked like Martin Luther.
Speaker 3: King got beat up by Rodney King.
Speaker 7: And how about the parents from the Great Ron Burgundy huh ah whales vagina which reminds me Kim Kardashian's here. She's had a lot of black men celebrating her end zone. Kim. Word of advice, close your legs. You have more public beef than Kendrick and Drake. Thank you guys, Thank you Tom, thank you joke, Thank you Netflix.
Speaker 2: So we have gay jokes, black jokes, ju jokes, sex jokes, retard jokes. I mean, is it me or is it two thousand and five? Am I watching the Office? And is Comedy Central on the best part? Despite the fact that this was watched by millions, including Hollywood darlings, like I said, Kevin Hart, Ben Affleck all these others, I couldn't even find a single think piece about how mean spirited it was, or how Tony Hinchcliff and Andrew Schaltz, Bird Krascher, Jeff Ross.
Speaker 3: Or any of these other people should never work again.
Speaker 2: If you need proof that the PC comedy era is over, that's the proof right there.
Speaker 3: And let's not forget the real.
Speaker 2: Sign that before Seinfeld even spoke about how dead this comedy is, Shane Gillis, who was literally canceled from Saturday Night Line for his jokes about Asians in twenty nineteen, was invited to host Saturday Night Live this year twenty twenty four, and while while he was there, he made jokes about people with Down syndrome. Now, there may have been a few tweets criticizing him at the time, but let's be real, nothing even close to the cancel brigade of the late twenty tens. If anything, Shane Starr is even brighter, and he is hosting shows with Schultz directly for Netflix, selling out massive arenas. Now, I don't write any of this to say that political correctness and woke influences on comedy we're never a problem, only to say that I don't think it's really a problem anymore. And that people who rely on the crutch for why it's ruining comedy, maybe they have another agenda that they're trying to push, like, I don't know, maybe the fact that Jerry is deciding to make these comments at the exact moment, that his wife is donating huge amounts of money to pro Israel protesters, and that he has been urging people to read Barry Weiss's The Free Press, and Broadley has decided to now enter the fray as a pro Israel voice since October seventh, Camp help, But notice that Unfrosted co star Amy Schumer also been doing the exact same thing lately. If anything, they appear to be the new Snowflakes, crying about the fact that people disagree with them in public and then blaming their middling performance or their products on the very forces that they participated in when it was something that was on their side. Now, as for why any of this matters, it's because I've always thought comedy is like a decade ahead of where a lot of the media ends up.
Speaker 3: It's not a coincidence.
Speaker 2: A comedy podcasts are really what birth the podcasting format. It was the falling apart of the establishment comedy on control forces that gave rise to YouTube and podcast popularity, and that presses show like ours many others who entered that fray later on.
Speaker 3: So take from this what you will.
Speaker 2: I'll just take the victory and notice that what's really popular again today and what even establishment forces are okay with, maybe that's a bright spot for the future.
Speaker 3: I mean, Chrissell, how can you see that?
Speaker 1: And if you want to hear my reaction to Sagre's monologue, become a premium subscriber today at Breakingpoints dot com. We are extraordinarily fortunate to be joined by a remarkable guest this morning. Moira Lang is a palliative care doctor. She just recently returned from Gaza, where she visited many places, including Anajar hospital which is in Rafa. Obviously it's very relevant given the ground invasion that just began in Rafa. Doctor. Welcome, it's great to have you, Thank you, it's great to be here. Yeah, So first, just tell us the context in which you were in Gaza and a little bit of what you saw there.
Speaker 5: Sure, I mean, I've had the privilege, incredible privileg You're traveling to Gaza for ten years and working with colleagues in hospitals, in universities, and this particular visit, I was able to see what was happening to people who are living with illnesses such as cancer, kidney disease, heart disease, and to visit the colleagues and healthcare colleagues who are taking care of them. We were looking particularly, for example, at pain relief. Pain relief has been almost zero in Gaza during this last period, and I spent time yes in Alijar Hospital in fatimaal Zacha Hospital that's the oncology service that has been displaced three times already, and as well as neonatal hospitals and primary care hospitals in Rufa.
Speaker 2: Doctor, what can you tell us about some of the remaining health care facilities. You're talking there about the reduction in pain medicine, Others we hear about the destruction of the infrastructure. What was it like to actually witness firsthand?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah, Number one, it's an absolute privilege always to spend time with colleagues in Gaza, some of the most inspirational, courageous, compassionate people that I know. The first thing that struck me was that the healthcare colleagues were utterly and completely exhausted. They had been working under these conditions for six months. They had been displaced personally and professionally. Every time your hospital displaced, you lose what little supplies you'd built up. They had not been paid any salary for six months. The price of basic foodstuffs was sky high, making it impossible for their families. They were not sleeping any night. I was not sleeping any night, continually all night, drones and bombs, and yet they were still coming to work and doing the best they could. So that's the first thing I'd say. And it was a pleasure to see people that I've known. I've taught in the medical school, so you know some of the young doctors. Would you believe I was teaching communication and ethics just last August, and that brought up many a conversation about what ethics looked like in healthcare. But it was a pleasure to see people doing there at most best. But I couldn't believe how exhausted they were. There was a little bit of teasing about how much weight everybody had lost, but the reality was minimum fifteen to twenty kilograms, and that was in a place that had some access to food. I was only able to be in telephone contact with those in the north. So that's my first thing that struck me. The second is everywhere was full. The hospital on the shar a small district hospital. Over the years, RAFA has said, you don't give us a big hospital, but there was a big hospital just a few miles up the road in han Juniz, and then the major one obviously in North Gaza. That hospital should have had sixty beds. It had anything between six hundred seven hundred patients coming through the hospital and even more than a thousand in the accident emergency. It was the first point of call for trauma, even though it only had a simple X ray machine and some ultrasound now. In fact, the doctors told me they felt they were working with their hands tied behind their back, and they told me stories of young people with diabetes coming in with very dangerous blood tests something called potassium very very low. It's a known complication. Yet they couldn't test for that, and so the patient should have been an ICU, should have had blood tests. All the time they were still managing to care for those patients, and a one young doctor told me how we slept for forty eight hours next to the bed of a young man his age who was dying of diabetic keto acidosis, that's this complication of diabetes, and actually managed somehow to help that patient survive. So exhausted healthcare staff, dreadful, dreadful circumstances, patients in huge trouble with their chronic illness and then their new illness such as a pneumonia or infection, and then maybe also a traumatic event with an injury, so all of those combined and still people trying to care with compassion.
Speaker 1: Doctor you talked about how there was basically no pain management, which sounds very, I guess, sanitized when you say it. If you are a patient who's suffering from a traumatic injury, if you are struggling with aggressive cancer, what does that actually look like, and what does it look like to try to care for these individuals who are in absolutely excruciating pain, because we've all seen the reports of even children having to undergo amputations with no anesthetic, women having to have cesareans with no anesthetic.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thank you for that question. I want to put it in a context that globally this is a big issue. I've spent thirty years of my professional career with other brilliant colleagues trying to work on this issue, because this is a problem in many places, but when you're in this kind of situation, it is unbelo be the level of suffering. Just imagine the healthcare workers doing these procedures with that anesthetic. The children, the mothers with cesarean sections without anesthetic or with minimal or you get maybe one dose of a painkiller because that's all there, but nothing afterwards. Think of rehabilitating from your severe injury, all the dressings changes. Think of the burns patients. I spoke to some of my colleagues whose parents died of severe burns and they watched them cry as they died. And this is no criticism of my colleagues. And then you moved to the cancer. I had just had the privilege of working with my GAZA colleagues to train twenty amazing multidisciplinary GAZA colleagues in pain and palliative care. They have the skills, we were about to graduate them. They were pharmacists and doctors and physios and nurses, and they were saying, you gave us the skill and we can't use it. And the stories they told of the cancer patients children as well as adults just crying, crying in pain was absolutely devastating. I have to say. The day we were there, they had got a small donation through UNISEEF had arrived in fatimal Zacha. That was the clinic for the oncology hospital, beautiful oncology hospital called the Turkish Palestine Friendship Hospital in northern Gaza that had been displaced now the three times, and they got some and immediately my colleagues were coming to me and saying, you know, we know how to do this, Let's get on and do this. But they also told me that every time they were displaced, they usually lost all their supplies. And yesterday that clinic was displaced again. And I have no idea whether where they've been displaced too. I mean, where can they be displaced too? We'll even have a drop of anaalgesia, and it's absolutely heartbreaking and unimaginable suffering.
Speaker 2: Yeah, doctor you mentioned there the weight loss, just to translate for our us audience, that's about thirty three to forty four pounds that you're describing.
Speaker 3: In terms of that.
Speaker 2: We've heard a lot here about the destructive of act of famine and the lack of aid what did you witness with respect to famine and also to the lack of humanitarian aid being allowed into the strip As you.
Speaker 5: Come into Rufa through across the sin idea is that the first thing you say, that's the cross thing from Egypt into Gaza at the south, the first thing you see is queues and ques and cues of trucks. And I have to say, my heart sank and I had a deep sense of shame that. You know how humanitarian and access to manitarian aid is a basic right, it's enshrined in international law, and it was awful to see that. What we saw in Rafa at that point was people somehow getting by. I mean a kilo of chicken or two kilos of chicken. They haven't had any for months, arrived frozen from Egypt, and I think it was fifty or sixty dollars to buy enough for a family. And remember I said no one had been paid, so they were somehow managing. There was a few tins coming in and people were getting by, but were still lose weight. And of course, once you start losing below a certain level, you're using up all of your protein stores. You become liable to infections. I saw people dying of pressure sores. Now that's a combination of untreated wounds, of not enough water, no hygiene because you're living in circumstances where there is either no toilet facilities or one share between hundreds, and can imagine hygiene. It's getting hot now, that kind of infections were rising. That's a result of malnutrition. But even worse I was hearing from Northern Gaza. I had two long calls with the very dear colleague I've worked with a long time. A tomato was costing seven dollars. People were dying trying to catch the food coming from the sky. I think you've seen the and all of this is one hour from where I used to come into Asa when the area is crossing, So you know, it's not like an earthquake in a distant mountainous place. This is just beside where food and water are available. And I also attended the meeting where we got an update on the nutritional status. And there's four stages before you get to famine, and each of those stages had been crossed and crossed, and now we were looking at moving Northern Gaza fully into famine. And that is not severe malnourishment. That is imminent death of thousands, and it hardly ever happens. We see malnutrition, but a man made famine is almost unheardle.
Speaker 1: Doctor. When we covered this morning, how the ground invasion long threatened of Rafa has begun along with air strikes, the Idea has taken control of Palestine inside of the border, has shut that crossing with Egypt there in Rafa. As someone who has been in Rafa, when you hear that news, when you see those images, what does that mean to you?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, it wasn't a lot of sleep last night. Obviously, we were communicating, trying to find out who was okay, where people were, what had happened. The very house that I was living in while I was there with colleagues has been evacuated. While I was there, there were bombs killing people in the house next door, and of course we remember the very public well publicized deaths killings of World Central kitchen stuff. I mean, what I was hearing last night was just absolute panic. No one had fuel. They knew this might happen, but they'd nowhere to go. They're trying to get out the way. Where can they go? They say they're moving for peace, but there's nowhere to go, there's nowhere safe to go, and people are just trying to desperately find a way to survive. I spoke to a colleague in northern Gaza, a very dear colleague working through the whole of this time, and he said to me, dear Moira, I'm so happy to hear you and Gaza, but we have lost hope in the international community, and our people are simply awaiting our fate. And that's the sense I had last night. Number One is the international community to protect civilians, to protect healthcare, to protect the children and the sick, and also where is the humanity? I see humanity every time I go to Gaza, and I've described already what I've seen, but I felt a deep sense of shame that as an international community we have not we have not upheld the dignity and humanity of the Gadsen people.
Speaker 1: Doctor. Last question that I have for you is, you know, the healthcare system has been under attack routinely by the idea of some of the justification that's been used as the context of Alshifa and other hospitals has been that these have been places where Hamas has been sheltering, understanding that you were not in all places at all times, et cetera. I just wanted to ask you if you saw any evidence that would lead you to believe that there were Hamas operatives in any of the hospitals where you were.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 5: I absolutely not. I saw no evidence in ten years, and all the hospitals that have been mentioned in news reports, particularly alshipa hospital, was a hospital. I knew well. This In your colleagues that have been detained, I knew well, and can I just mentioned the courage of my Gaza colleagues. They are still going to work even when they know if that hospital is overrun, they will be detained. And we're hearing very very serious, disturbing eyewitness reports of torture on any particularly productors. So I saw absolutely none of that. I only saw. I didn't see any military presence at all, And there has not been any credible evidence shared. And I would really again say, we need independent journalism. We need independent international colleagues who can investigate and look into any of those allegations, but also can document which, according to the evidence presented to the international criminal courts, are evidence of war crimes.
Speaker 3: Got it well?
Speaker 2: Thank you very much. Doctor, are a very courageous woman. We appreciate your time very much.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thank you, doctor. Thank you so much for everything you've done. It's truly extraordinary.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Thank you guys so much for watching. We appreciate you. Great Counterpoint show tomorrow, See you later.