Speaker 1: Court Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Yo.
Speaker 3: What's Up?
Speaker 4: This is Fon Tibolo from Team Supreme.
Speaker 5: We all celebrating Black History Month of QLs and releasing new weekly interviews with some incredible guests from film and music. In the meantime, we've selected some special classic episodes as well, which we run on Mondays. This classic two part of Less is from September twenty twenty, and it is with the incredible my homie, My friend, Jamel Hill. Jamel is not only someone to call a friend, She's one of the most important voices in sports where she always leaves in art, politics, and social issues.
Speaker 2: And we love her for it.
Speaker 5: Please make sure you hurt part one before you check this in your feed. In part two, Jamel talks about some important basketball history. We have a deep dive discussion remembering Detroit's hip hop mayor Kwame Kirkpatrick, and we get Desert Island Top five Albums, which has a couple surprises. I know it surprised me. Y'all enjoyed this episode, man, we did. Jamel is the homie. This is a lot of one skill less peace.
Speaker 2: One Detroit story.
Speaker 6: I've been dying to know that I haven't asked anyone well versed in sports or from the area, is where were you on November nineteen, two thousand and four.
Speaker 2: Malice at the Palace.
Speaker 7: Malice at the Palace? Oh man, I knew you were going here. I was like, it's gonna probably be about malice for the Palace.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there is no sports besides Jordan Highlight real.
Speaker 2: Films on YouTube.
Speaker 6: I watched that religiously, like I know every frame of that brawl.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, so Malice at the Palace? What was this?
Speaker 7: So Malice at the Palace was? It was a scrap like you know, now call the NBA fight something you like? These just too motherfucker's backpler Like, no, Malice at the Palace is why you don't see scraps in the NBA anymore?
Speaker 4: Have you seen I've never seen it. I didn't know what it was.
Speaker 7: I don't know if they show it.
Speaker 6: It is by far the worst fight I've ever seen an NBA history.
Speaker 3: It's magical.
Speaker 7: You'll have to text in the footage because it's like completely magical.
Speaker 6: It's it's going to be its own thirty for thirty episode.
Speaker 2: I feel it.
Speaker 7: Well, I don't think it will the only reason something like, well, something I learned at ESPN is that the NBA is extremely strict about you. It's a reason you don't see malice from the Palace footage like ever, like you see it in the Pistons dock.
Speaker 3: I think you saw it, like the Bad Boys. I feel like I think it might.
Speaker 7: Be in it might have been in there, but like you don't really see it because the NBA does not allow clearance of the footage of that. Because I remember when I was, yeah, when I was at the when I was at ESPN, it was a five year anniversary, and it was some things I wanted to do with talking about the fight, and I couldn't do them because the NBA would not give ESPN permission to do this.
Speaker 3: So they tried to like this did not happen.
Speaker 7: Thomas like Pistons, Like no, no, this was this was the Pistons era with Rip Hamilton and Ben Wallace, uh Tayshaun Prince Rashe Wallace. Oh yeah, so what happened was this It's like Indiana at this point, because I know it's hard to look at the Pistons now because we're so shitty, but yes, we actually used to be a very good basketball team in the early two thousand when Martin was sorry that I was like.
Speaker 2: That year they were they won the championship in two thousand and three.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we won the championship at oh four. What happened was is that Indiana and Detroit were rivals. You know, the Pistons went to six straight Eastern Conference finals. Indiana was the other team jockey and for the position and basically, you know, the the Pacers had kind of had a very statement win. It was on national TV statement win at the Palace, whipped the Pistons whole entire ass like beat they ass and the last maybe minute of the game, it might have been maybe like the last thirty seconds run our tests decides he he is gonna not only have a statement win, he like, we're gonna win the game and the fight. So so he has been egging on being Wallace this entire game. You know Bill Wallace Rady Defensive Player of the year. He one of them country strong brothers, Like this year is unbelievable.
Speaker 3: So went to McNee state like he he.
Speaker 7: With the bullshit, right, So, so you know, he had been needling them the whole game and being is like got a quiet demeanor. He had enough, so he just he shoved round our tests and run our test. Decides to go over, you know, because that's what he does. He agitates people run our tests. You know, they teend up being you know, players getting the faces. But no, Biggie Rodard Test goes over to the scores table and decides to lay down, just lay down flat across the.
Speaker 3: On the scores table, right.
Speaker 7: And so he's laying down on the scores table and out of the stands comes a beer that hits him while he's on the scores.
Speaker 3: Table and round our test.
Speaker 7: It took him about zero point five seconds before he got up, charging to the stands and beat the ship out the wrong fan.
Speaker 3: He didn't beat the shit.
Speaker 7: Out of the dude, the right one that through the beer, because he didn't get to him.
Speaker 3: He got to this one dude.
Speaker 7: And then next thing, you know, the fans jump in, they jumping him. Then the players from the pacers they go into the stands and Stephen Jackson goes right up into the Because Stephen Jackson was was Ron our Test's teammate. So y'all know how Stephen Jackson, Captain jack get down.
Speaker 3: He does not fuck around either like.
Speaker 7: It was a whole bunch of people from the not fucking a Round crew on two teams and that's why. So they in the stands fighting the stands. Meanwhile fans decide to come on to the floor. And I'm sure this is probably Quest's favorite part. This one thing came up to the store and I swear to god, Jermaine O'Neil almost ended his life.
Speaker 3: He all about five for five.
Speaker 7: He gonna roll up on six eleven, Jermaine O'Neill, and he got the two piece, the biscuit, the sides, and a large orange.
Speaker 4: He got old down.
Speaker 3: To make sure he cleansed his palate. He got all of that.
Speaker 7: So you are just seeing pockets of ass whoopings happened all around the arena. So when you go back and watch the footage, you could literally watch a different ass whooping every time.
Speaker 3: It's just unbelievable.
Speaker 8: They removed it from YouTube, y'all.
Speaker 7: They might have because the NBA is again very protective about this footage. So they showed this on the Jordan the last day. So really what happened was that wine that wound up honestly ruining uh, the the pacers domination at the time, you know, because they handed out rod our tests got the largest suspension, non drug suspension in NBA history. You know, he was gone for the rest of the season. Jermaine O'Neill. They gave him like sixty games. He might as well have been gone for the season. It completely tore apart their entire team. So, yeah, to answer you a question about where I was, I actually I was a sports reporter then, but I was covering college football and basketball.
Speaker 3: I was in Happy Valley. I was at Penn State because I State.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I was at pan State and we were watching at the bar, and I'm sitting there watching like, what the hell just happened? And not surprisingly, people use this as an opportunity to take a lot of shots at Detroit because clearly we have a reputation for being a violent city, much like a lot of major urban cities. But what I had to constantly remind people and what they didn't say, the Palace of Auburn Hills, what this happened is a good hour from Detroit. It's in the richest county in Michigan. Black folks were not going to like all the people you see getting they ass whooped.
Speaker 3: The only person who got.
Speaker 7: They asswhipped that was black iness was Fred Jones who was on the Indiana Pacers. His brother got his ass beat down by Bill Wallace's brother, Black on black crime at his finest, like, that's not only black people. You just see no black people running up on Ron our Tests. You did see the black people. Didn't know black people throw shit. We ain't douce shit. That was not our shit, Okay. That was some white folks acting a food okay, and they were about to get exactly now, I will say this, I am thankful it did happen at the Palace, which again is in a very zat suburban because if that had happened at the city.
Speaker 8: It would have been people waiting outside.
Speaker 7: This you got to understand how we do it in the d Now, that ship might have been something else, Okay, that would have been a tragedy and not just that ass whip it because like, we don't play that shit.
Speaker 5: And so yeah, I knew Ron our Tests was a different dude when like I did. I'm not I wasn't a sports fan at all. I knew Ron was a different nigga when I heard his Michael Jackson tribute song. Okay, Michael Michael, Michael.
Speaker 4: My nigga, you.
Speaker 3: Make this up.
Speaker 4: I'm not making this up.
Speaker 5: Google, ron Or Tests Michael Jackson's tribute Now you released it like the day after Michael Jackson died, and it was like, what the fuck?
Speaker 4: Michael Michael, Michael, you my nigga. I'm not lying about Test. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I thought you would have knew this to me, the way you like to play like.
Speaker 3: He just found it. Oh god, oh.
Speaker 4: Wow, Michael Michael, Michael, you my nigga.
Speaker 3: And the fact that you know the course is ending right now, that's.
Speaker 4: How I know Ron Tests.
Speaker 5: I mean I knew when he became Metal World peace right that's name.
Speaker 2: Now Well.
Speaker 6: M w well what I was leading to, Well, your one was where were you at when it happened? But Detroit has such I know, like, yes, the Philadelphia that always had to face Boston. Yes, I can attest to the fact that many a racial moment at the hands of Boston fans have occurred, and you know I've seen it.
Speaker 2: But I'll say that Detroit probably.
Speaker 6: Has the second most intense fan base next to Philadelphia, which Philadelphia is yeah, no, but it's well, okay, maybe as a team, not the fans. We are the worst fans of all time. But is it necessary for you guys to always be like the bad boys of whatever?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's in basketball.
Speaker 7: It is something we wear with honor because understand that when the bad Boys were winning, we interrupted a narrative that was going on in the NBA at that time. It was supposed to be Magic and Larry Bird. That was the error, right, that was the rivalry. And then here comes Isaiah Thomas out of nowhere having a nerve to win back to back titles. And because of the brand of basketball that Detroit was playing, and let's not get it twisted, people act like I seen many eclipse where Kevin McHale was lumping motherfuckers up.
Speaker 3: I saw media clips Robert Parrish.
Speaker 7: I mean, you know he he's sitting up there just almost damn near Macho May and Randy Savage and people.
Speaker 3: Like all the time.
Speaker 7: But we were the ones who got the reputation because I think it went hand in hand to generally what people thought of the city. You know, Detroit has always had this reputation of being not just a violent city, but a city that nobody gives a fuck about, Like Detroit.
Speaker 3: People just don't deserve nice things. That's just been the.
Speaker 7: General attitude, like we're not cool like Chicago. You know what I'm saying, Like we're not cool like Chicago. We're not cool like New York. We're not cool like La. They murder rates to look like ours. But people love these cities because they think they're so cool and trendy. And it with Detroit, we're treated like a stain on this country. And yeah, I mean, even though Motown obviously gave you, you know, one of the greatest black empires of all time, the reality is that that's always been our lot in life. And because of that disrespect, I think our general conditioning tells us, Okay, oh y'all think we ain't shit, well, we're gonna act as eight shit as possible. And so that was always, you know, kind of the thing with the bad boys. They were taking on very much the character of the city like a hard, scrappy.
Speaker 2: We'll show you crazy, yes.
Speaker 7: Exactly, like you think we're bad boys. Okay, let's see what. We'll show you what we're about. And we knew that, you know, truly, the campaign starting to Detroit, Detroit versus everybody that's our mentality, and that translated to a lot of our sports teams, but the Pistons in particular, because you know, the black identity is kind of tied up in that mindset that we all we got cm B, we all we got so because of that, that's why you'll find that a lot of Detroiters take an unusually high amount of almost delusional pride in the city.
Speaker 3: When you run into anybody from Detroit, you're like, damn, don't like, Yes.
Speaker 7: That's how we are, you know, and so and for that, you know, I think the way that that city having that character certainly is something that whenever I've run into obstacles or whatever, it's that character that was that was kind of infused in me early being from this city, that has really helped me whether a lot of different things in my life.
Speaker 3: It's like, you know, we just tough, We just we just built different.
Speaker 5: Now, y'all got a chip. So I'm a production part of ZOUL. He's Detroit and talk to him. Yeah, it is Detroit. Yeah something the DMV know. He's been there for like the past, you know, twelve thirteen years, have a long but not Detroit is home for him.
Speaker 4: But in being around him.
Speaker 5: He just explained to me, I kind of got that mentality like everything you say, Jamil, just out Detroiters. You just kind of have that chip on your shoulder, like it's just that eternal chip that you know you're gonna go harder.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna show you like it's that thing.
Speaker 5: And it's and it's even different than like a Chicago kind of hip, Like it's a different it's a different thing. It's but yeah, but all my the thing I always like about Detroiters is that you know what it is with them. There's no ambiguity. They either love you or they hate you, and you know what it is. And I appreciate that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and we I mean we ride for our folks. I mean, you know, anybody from the d or just people that we love that show us love. You know, Isaiah Thomas is from Chicago, but you know he can do no wrong in Detroit ever, you know what I'm saying, because that's our dude. And it's the same any of those pistons in O four that got into Mallas in the Palace when the whole nation.
Speaker 3: Was just just.
Speaker 7: Throwing shots at Detroit about oh this is what you expect from a violent city. We're like fucking the happy at Auburn Hills. That ain't even us, but we'll claim it. Yeah, that's us, now, what you know. So it's it's been a it's a badge honor.
Speaker 3: Definitely.
Speaker 6: Question Barry Sanders, did you ever get to meet him, watch him play, interview him, or.
Speaker 2: Anything like that.
Speaker 3: Like I said, I'm ten thousand years old even so.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So here here's the the unusualness about my my Detroit fandom. The one team I'm not a fan of is the Lions because Lions it was.
Speaker 3: So damn shitty.
Speaker 7: Like you, if you can see in my background, you see this little mini helmet here. That's my husband's he alliance fan. Please pray for him because he's from Detroit too.
Speaker 4: I'm a forty nine ers.
Speaker 7: Yes, the big helmet is mine because we actually win things, unlike the Lions. So to answer your point, though, I mean, you know Barry during that time we talk in late eighties, you know, early nineties. I mean, he was some of the for the Lions on some of the best teams they've ever had. The thing about Barry is when you meet him, like he's a very soft spoken very quiet, you know, kind of person. But I don't know if I've seen too many players rupture more Achilles and tare Mour knees than Barry. Standers did trying to tackle that. Dude, asked Rod Woodson, still looking for his kneecap because of Barry, saying okay, you know, and he could make he I mean, he's the only running back probably in history that could make a one yard loss look like the most incredible play you have ever seen in your life. And it was an exciting time for Lions fans then because he was such a superstar, somebody who was committed to the city. Barry still lives in Detroit, and that's yeah, he still lives there. I mean that's you know, and very beloved. And that's the people we that gives us a special kind of pride with. It's people that are not even from there, people that as soon as they're done playing, that could leave and they still stay there anyway.
Speaker 3: I mean that's just love.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Yo, Okay, that reminds me speaking of Detroit, because I don't think me and you never talked about this on your show.
Speaker 4: What is your Detroit take? On? Kwame?
Speaker 9: I was about to ask in the middle, I was talking about they ain't breaking and they spelled.
Speaker 10: I was like, well, that.
Speaker 8: Nigga cme definitely made it.
Speaker 7: I mean that might be the most that might be the most detroit nigga. Ever, I ain't gonna lie like that is what? What is he in prison?
Speaker 5: They was talking about it for a minute and then they stopped it. Your Christine she ended up was on like a show or something that.
Speaker 7: Was about It was about women who, like they they basically tried to pick up their lives and put it back together after something happened. And I mean, it's a long story, but it's such as.
Speaker 3: The women involve will call me is like what y'all talking about?
Speaker 7: Yes, it's Oh my god, that's what I mean.
Speaker 3: That's what I remember.
Speaker 8: I remember text to texting. It's been so long.
Speaker 3: It's just such a his story.
Speaker 7: And I was there when when all of it unfolding, and working at the newspaper that I want a Pulitzer for for essentially taking.
Speaker 3: Him down, you know. So Kwame. Yeah, I don't know if y'all remember this, but Kwame was built. He was on the conversary.
Speaker 4: Mayor is over here we go in five.
Speaker 7: Out there in nine button suits, the Steve Harvey Specials Steve Collection.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: He proposed of this and uh so he it's a different look. He got an ear ring in his ear. He in his early thirties. He the mayor of Detroit, you know, one of the blackest cities in the country. All that ship is a recipe for disaster because because you know, when you're mayor, obviously you have you know, you have power, you have a security detail, access, you have access, you got you got a city credit card, you got all these other things. He went to DC about the borrow out. We can't we had the mayor that was doing stuff like that. It was just it was just like it was just so like he would give you a professionalism with some hood and it's just like what.
Speaker 3: Like I swear to guy every.
Speaker 2: Friday, like addressed with or like.
Speaker 7: But he did have on I mean, I'm sure you guys, as musicians, at some point you probably had to do an interview or do something with w JLB at Detroit, which is like the big earthen station in the v and he he had a weekly segment on JAILB talking about called how at the mayor.
Speaker 5: Really, yeah, that was the That was the original podcast.
Speaker 7: So uh, the movie had a State with Chris Rock was partly based off Kame Kirkpatrick, like if this dude could like that's what.
Speaker 3: He was a good mayor or No, it.
Speaker 7: Was just about the fact that what happens when you just take an address abject negro dem to a political office and the shenanigans that can shoot. Because it's a lost story short, this is ultimately the downfall of Kwame Kilpatrick and it's based off one of the most infamous yet unproven Steell stories about what happened during his regime. So the urban tale is that and how this all kick started him going down for in Bestling City. Yes, yes, because of course yes, Oh no, it's a whole thing. So the Minogian Mansion is the mayoral mansion in Detroit. The urban legend is that Kwame Kilpatrick threw a party there, a huge party that you talked to anybody from Detroit, they swear they was there, but nobody knows shit, but they all.
Speaker 4: Said they was there.
Speaker 3: He threw this party.
Speaker 7: Wife, he goes out of town, wife, he circles back to the party because I don't know I guess it was like something just ay right or whatever.
Speaker 3: Right, So she circles back.
Speaker 7: Supposedly comes back, and the urban legend is Kwame was there. It was strippers, his boys, party out of control. She beat up the stripper who uh who later wound up who was later murdered, like very shortly after this happened, she was murdered execution style on the street of Detroit.
Speaker 3: What it's still unsolved. It's still unsolved, right.
Speaker 7: So then you know this party like people spent I mean investigative reports really tried to uncover like did this party take place?
Speaker 3: Did not?
Speaker 7: Whatever happened, long story short is that, uh, he was also having an affair with his with his deputy, who was Christine Beatty, who is talking about on the I think she was like his deputies. Now she wasn't deputy mayor. I don't know if she was press secretary. She was one of those positions.
Speaker 3: Kids used to call him uncle because he was best friends with her, friends with her husband. Now this is all on the record.
Speaker 7: So he had an affair with Christine Beatty, and what happened is dirty macket.
Speaker 3: It was just a dirty mackett.
Speaker 7: Is that he used city money to continue his dirty, dirty the dirty Mackett. So he some of his security detail figured out that they were having an affair and he was trying to get them to lie for him and do all you know, like you can't do that, right, and so uh, they he fired one of them.
Speaker 3: The dude that he fired wound up suing him and.
Speaker 7: All these part of the evidence was all these text messages.
Speaker 3: So I'm just trying to figure out how.
Speaker 4: Let's clear all these text messages on company phone.
Speaker 3: Phones, on the city phones.
Speaker 7: Here's a little uh, here's a little tip pro tip that people may not know. We have something called the the uh freedom of right. It's called foy For sure, any public official and government of office, you can put in a Fourier requests and get everything they've written on city whatever, every all the text messages, anything, because anything you're governor local government does it is public information. It's still a lot they may have to sue to get it because some people try to block it, but it's all public information.
Speaker 3: Like you could go.
Speaker 7: Down right now and ask for the like, you know, the mayor's contract or the city contract with the police department. They have to give it to you because it's all public information. So this is reporters. We use this all the time to our advantage. So long story short, these text messages, the free press gets them, and their text messages not only to Kwame and Christine Beatty, proven that they did indeed have this affair, proven that he did fire this main person in his security detail because he did it out of vindictiveness and vengeance, because he wanted him to try to cover up his affair, and he wouldn't do it till he fired him.
Speaker 3: And he wound up suing the city for eleven million dollars.
Speaker 7: And it was like a whole thing. These text messages were pure gold. I mean pure gold.
Speaker 4: Yes, we were climing player.
Speaker 9: Actually, I think we used to read him out loud on the radio, like do a dramatic interpretation.
Speaker 7: They're so unbelievable and you come to find out, you know, it wasn't just Christy Beattie, Like the mayor was out there doing his just told him I'm mac you know, he was out there.
Speaker 3: Doing his.
Speaker 8: First song to hit me at this time.
Speaker 9: I would just like to shout out to all the young black mayors who are doing their thing. Asia Brown, I see you in Compton and Michael Tubbs and California Stockton, I see you as well.
Speaker 3: Yes, oh yeah, and the new mayor of Ferguson first black man.
Speaker 9: Wait, she's not my Black Lives Matter sister though, right, it's that's.
Speaker 3: The one who is.
Speaker 7: She won the primary and it's poised to to win a representative seat. But no, I mean so it was just abject foolishness. And on top of all the things he was doing, he put his daddy on a city contract that like.
Speaker 3: He never made it on. It was just foolish man.
Speaker 7: His boy, uh, he allowed him he had he had done some reckless and he allowed him to report to jail on the weekends.
Speaker 3: And it turned out he wasn't even report to jail on the weekends.
Speaker 7: It was like it was just every time he could possibly steal, he figured out a way to try to steal it.
Speaker 5: But so basically he was the blueprint for Trump pretty much.
Speaker 3: I mean pretty much.
Speaker 7: I mean he he hooked up his family in a very similar fashion. And you know, Detroit already a broke city, so it's like we ain't even got shipped, and you just so you have just stolen everything that wasn't nailed down.
Speaker 3: So gentrification yet hell yeah, we got it now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not back then.
Speaker 7: I mean you know, I mean there were some uh you know Detroit that's just like every like any city. You know, it's right off the waterfront in Canada's our neighbor. So all that all that stuff was, you know, they basically waited on property values to be depressed.
Speaker 3: And now I go downtown.
Speaker 7: They got a Lululemon and a Whole Foods and I can't believe it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and a bunch of white people.
Speaker 7: Like now you go downtown Detroit, You going the restaurant, you might the only black person in there, which is crazy to me.
Speaker 6: Before the lockdown, I went to Detroit and I meant, you know, I still considered, especially when Dylan was here with us. I mean, I made a line share of a lot of albums I'm known for in the city of Detroit, and it is.
Speaker 2: Night and day.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 6: I know a lot of that has to do with gentrification. I mean they're white, is okay? Well, yeah, I was going to say, like, how do you feel about how Detroit has transformed? Because now things that I've never seen twenty years ago, like farmed the table, restaurants.
Speaker 3: And yeah they call South Toronto now luxury.
Speaker 6: Yeah, luxury, luxury like hotels that were former firehouses or banks.
Speaker 7: And yes, I know exactly where you stay if you stayed that that converted all the time.
Speaker 6: Yo, it's so luxurious or is that or is that a flim flam for tourists that just come to downtown Detroit. Meanwhile the other miles five, six, seven, eight, not whatever.
Speaker 7: Yeah, gentrification stops at a certain point. So for me it is Yeah, I'll be blunt. I don't like it. And the reason I don't like it is not because I don't want to see Detroit step into a progression, and it's not that I don't want my city to do well. I don't like it because for years and years and years, there was a lot of black people, a lot of black business owners who poured their sweat equity into the city of Detroit, into downtown Detroit when we wasn't fashionable to fuck with us, and they got pushed out because there's there's not a lot of black businesses down there.
Speaker 3: You brought up Diyler.
Speaker 7: His donut spot is one of the few black businesses that were down there. I think it may have closed since but the donuts were really good at any rate. So that's the part that I think not just in Detroit, but Oakland, you go to most of the major cities. That's the part that doesn't sit well is that as soon as they able to flip the complexion of what the place looks like, then all of a sudden, grocery stores. I mean when I when I was growing up, the last department store Detroit closed and it wasn't one downtown for years, years and years and years. And now to see like under Armour, Nike all these places correct, it's like, now you got these, you know, million dollar condos and swinging lofts and all that other stuff, which is which is great, But I look at who's in these buildings, who owns these buildings, and who's really benefiting off the sweat equity that people who are real Detroit just put into that place for years, and it's not us. So it's it's it's a little hurtful to see.
Speaker 2: Is the Anthemium still up the Atheneum?
Speaker 3: Yep, it's still there. My problem was at the Athenium.
Speaker 6: I gotta say that I believe I think the Anthemium opened in ninety seven.
Speaker 2: I believe either ninety six or ninety seven.
Speaker 7: I think it opened before then because my prom was there and I enjoyed it in ninety three, so.
Speaker 6: Well they did they did something where they did to repurpose right, and we were like one of the first people stay there.
Speaker 2: So it was like a brand new condo. Like it was like a touch of elegance.
Speaker 6: And then twenty years later, not quite say it's like a two star hotel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, but they got better.
Speaker 7: I mean they got a lot of great places now, like you mentioned the converted firehouse, and then they got a new joy, the Shinola Hotel, which is like, yeah, unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, say there too. Yeah, did you ever go to the hip hop shop in your teen years? The spots that Maurice Malone Like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I never went there.
Speaker 7: A lot of my friends were there, but that's obviously a very legendary place to go into Detroit, much like St. Andrew's, which Fonte brought up earlier, like that those were like kind of classic enclaves. I mean, I've seen so many underground you know, folks at Saint Andrews and even people who became you know, a really big deal like I saw The first time I saw Jill Scott was at Saint Andrews, you know, and she was there in the middle of a blizzard and I was like, this woman is incredible and I think getting it away had wasn't even that hot yet. But the person I was dating at the time was like, oh, you should check her out, like she's dope, and he took me to the concert and I was like, oh yeah, I fuck with her absolutely.
Speaker 9: I was gonna say, it's the are the folks like it seems like there's a nice collective of Detroit folks that I've done well for themselves and still are connected to the city.
Speaker 8: I like, I know, Big Sean definitely a lot for Detroit.
Speaker 3: Royce, the five nine, Yeah, I mean these are all people want to ask you.
Speaker 8: How connected are folks?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, no, you know, I've I've connected.
Speaker 7: I did a podcast with Royce which was great, Like Royce is just a real dude, Like love that dude. Very underrated lyricists. Uh, he's great. Days is great, Big Sean. Like when back Black Panthers came where I was like, what's I don't know, because I mean and it felt like they were it was some image changing.
Speaker 8: That was happening, Like, yeah, definitely.
Speaker 3: Felt like that was underway.
Speaker 7: So I'm wondering if this is them trying to craft her into something has stunned the growth just to just I don't.
Speaker 3: Know about it, but just based on that's how it looks.
Speaker 7: So when Black Panther came out, Me Day's Loaf, Big Sean, we all collaborated to to get kids in Detroit to send to go see the movie. So it's just like, you know, all we do got to do is throw up a who do you who?
Speaker 3: Call that?
Speaker 9: We all it's Eminem a big part of that collective of kind of giving back up.
Speaker 7: So I know Eminem and Royce are tight. I've never had any interaction with Eminem, but it's I mean, he's got like, he's got a really good reputation in the city. Not a person that who you know is from the d who was kind of harder to funk with for a lot of reasons.
Speaker 8: Is right, I forgot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's all I gotta say about that. For him, it's still in Detroit to right Detroit area.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, I'm just I'm still trying to figure out how dude that grew up outside of Detroit is suddenly the foremost bar of the Confederate flag.
Speaker 3: But I digress.
Speaker 6: His thing is he has a black son, and you know that's his past.
Speaker 2: So he's sister.
Speaker 8: Not the.
Speaker 7: Okay, first of all, I didn't know it was Jody Whitley's sister.
Speaker 3: I had no idea.
Speaker 7: But yeah, but he's got a black Everybody knew that he that he has a black son. So like, so him waving that Confederate flag or just him trying to flip the script like in college. When I was in college, like k Rock was calling our college newspaper all the time to try to get us to review his CD, you know, because he was a hip hop artist.
Speaker 6: Then, like you know, you spend your formative years trying to be down and then you know, when you're forty, you just morphed back into what you really.
Speaker 8: Are, like you lose your revolution.
Speaker 6: Like absolutely, I'm sorry, I'm the only one here actually like sports.
Speaker 8: That is actually a lie. But go ahead and ask question.
Speaker 2: A couple of quick questions.
Speaker 4: Who's your favorite Detroit Tiger of all time?
Speaker 3: Uh oh, that's such a good question. I'm going to say. I'm going to say Kirk.
Speaker 2: Gibson okay, and what made you nine Ers fan?
Speaker 7: So it's a very boring, ridiculous story. I know you're like, how is something boring or ridiculous?
Speaker 3: It was like this.
Speaker 7: So my mother was she was seventeen years old or eighteen years old. I think she turned eighteen. She moved out to the Bay Area with my father, and I was not in the picture quite yet, but I became in the picture when they moved out to.
Speaker 3: The Bay Area.
Speaker 7: The sight of my conception is in the Bay and so so yeah, my mother while she was out there, I wasn't born after I was born in Detroit, but she loved the forty nine ers and she really liked the team in it and as they got better, and then they drafted a young fellow named Joe Montana. She was a really big fan of Joe Montana's and so she would always talk about the forty nine ers. And she was still a Lions fan as well. But the Lions were dreadful. They were so shitty. When I was coming up then, I was like, why would I care about this team that doesn't w and they're all, you know, the franchise seems to be completely incompetent, Like why would I root for the Lions?
Speaker 3: Like, who cares? Like they suck?
Speaker 7: So taking the part of the forty nine ers from her, I just started watching the forty nine ers and they just became my team.
Speaker 3: And so hints the helmet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good timing too. The Lions have never won right now.
Speaker 3: They're they're they're in.
Speaker 7: I think it's the Lions in Cleveland are the only two NFL teams who have not been to a modern day Super Bowl. Oh, for shit, they need to get to that motherfucker.
Speaker 3: They can't even sniff it. What But I do tell.
Speaker 7: People that, you know, for as much as the Lions have lost the dedication, the fans there are horribly dedicated.
Speaker 3: I live with one, so I know.
Speaker 7: And if they ever went to a Super Bowl, they ain't even got a window, bitch. If they ever got there, it just get there. It'd be the biggest sports story, arguably in Michigan history.
Speaker 4: What's the number one reason why the Lions can't can't get there or haven't gotten there?
Speaker 7: Well, you know, as they say, attitude reflect leadership. The Ford family has I got that from remember the Titans. I'm not a genius. Yeah it was, so, you know, the thing is like I believe a wood Hare said it. So the thing about the Lions is like they've been the one constant has been the Ford family ownership. And to me, it's like you keep changing coaches, You've changed many a quarterback, you've changed offenses. The one constant is the leadership up top has not changed. It's been in the Ford family for years and will probably be there forever. I think, you know, they are just not good football people. And you know right now they're trying to copy a blueprint for the Patriots because like other teams have done, like they hired Matt Patricia, who's was the defensive coordinator for the Patriots. They have a whole lot of Patriots folks in the building. Looting the GM is somebody from the Patriots organization. And what's so funny about that formula is that it's not really a formula.
Speaker 3: The formula was Bill Belichick and Tom Brady.
Speaker 7: I was about to say, I thought, OK, unless you have one of them, then you know, notice none of like Bill Belichick's coaching tree is actually terrible, Like the best coaching the best person that came from his coaching tree is Nick Saban.
Speaker 3: Everybody else has been bad.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 7: It's not like Tonyngee. Tony Dungee has an incredible coaching tree, Bill Walsh incredible coaching tree. Bill Belichick is whack because again all of them did not have Tom Brady. So unless you can create a Tom Brady, then.
Speaker 4: Good luck Belichick. He's part of the Parcels coaching tree. And that's my right, correct.
Speaker 3: So like Bill Parcell's great coaching tree, you know.
Speaker 7: And so at any rate, the Lions they just have been they've had just really incompetent front offices, just dreadful coaches. I mean, it's just, uh, it just hasn't been in the card for cards for them. Look, I don't have anything against the lines. I want them to do well because I know what it means for the city and I want to protect my husband's mental health.
Speaker 9: So now I want them to do y'all think that the South will ever get football teams or what?
Speaker 8: Will? They just continue to depend on college football.
Speaker 7: They do have some football teams. They call it the SEC pretty much.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, we got the Panthers.
Speaker 8: Me right, my trip and I just came to Panthers.
Speaker 7: It's like but you and no, probably not. And I don't think they want pro sports like they're that like to them, Alabama football is a pro sport.
Speaker 3: I mean, and it is, I mean for real, so like it ain't no big deal to them.
Speaker 9: I just came into the enlightenment of why they get so hype about college sports.
Speaker 8: I was like, oh my god, there really it's.
Speaker 5: Not a lot of but even here, it's just college football in the South is just a different animal relation sports panal correct, general, Like I mean the ACC tournament down here, like when I mean when the world was open, Like our teachers used to roll the damn cart in the classroom, you know what.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like doing the a SEC tournament. Man, we ain't do in school that dope. We watched the joint But.
Speaker 6: It is the point, not isn't the point to support that particular player and then watch them going to greatness?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, they wouldn't want a professional football team want.
Speaker 8: To make money?
Speaker 4: Well they don't think they don't want to make money?
Speaker 2: Right? Do you think they will ever play college players ever?
Speaker 7: I think a reckoning is coming because at some point they will not be able to hold back the inevitable. And what this pandemic has exposed is how their greed has honestly put them in this position because here's the thing. If they were actually paying the players, people would have less of a problem with them playing during this pandemic. Like the pros, to play is one thing because they're pros, they're paid, they all have unions. If college players were actually paid, there would not be a lot of handwringing about whether or not they should be playing. You wouldn't have to worry about the optics of having players on campus but not regular students, which sends the message that it's okay to say, we have to sacrifice your lives and your health and your safety because we built an entire free economy off your free labor.
Speaker 4: Off this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I seen thousand people watching Nigga solve a math problems, you know.
Speaker 7: What I'm saying, So that that's what's being exposed. I mean it's always been that way, but I think it's become especially obvious during this pandemic is that you have you know, you have people who have seven figure salaries. You know those college towns in Alabama. Think about what happens to Tuscaloosa with no Alabama football.
Speaker 3: So it's no shock that the.
Speaker 7: SEC has decided to continue to play because they have built an entire economy around these players.
Speaker 4: It's a whole ecosystem.
Speaker 7: It's a whole ecosystem, exactly, Nick sab but it's making eight nine million dollars a year.
Speaker 9: You think that's the question about the pros being in some of these towns, because I'm like, well, if they had a pro team, may be able to kind of balance out a little bit.
Speaker 8: I mean, it was right. I guess you're right.
Speaker 3: And not only that the Southern states.
Speaker 7: I mean, not that this has stopped anybody from putting sports ahead of the welfare of their constituents, but Southern states are are generally the poor states in the nation. So it's like there's also you know, here's why I love it when these conservatives always got they always got heat for Chicago and democratic cities.
Speaker 3: I'm like, have you seen Mississippi?
Speaker 4: Motherfucker?
Speaker 7: Like all the Republican governors are in the worst states. It's just like, all right, okay, y'all, ain't got no room for talking.
Speaker 8: Just make one one question about the last dance.
Speaker 9: I to have a Michael George question because he was talking about activism, were talking about the NBA and it's lack.
Speaker 8: And that was picking back up with Lebron. What can't we blame your boy a little bit?
Speaker 4: No, we can't.
Speaker 5: But I have a very North Carolina take on this. But I'm curious for you.
Speaker 3: I'm kidding I would say this.
Speaker 7: I think that we need to look at Jordan's off the field or off the court contributions in a different way. So here's what we have to recognize. What Jordan did do for black athletes. He gave them a blueprint for generational wealth, for global success.
Speaker 3: He also proved to.
Speaker 7: The business community that you can make a black man, a dark skinned black man, the face of a company and you could be a commercial, international success.
Speaker 4: That's what revolution is to him. Like, that's him, I mean to him.
Speaker 5: So it's like so for me, like when I look at it, it's like, you know, there was a piece that was written I wanted.
Speaker 4: I think the writer was right Thompson.
Speaker 5: But there's like a piece that was written on Jordan, like a couple of months ago that was better than the last dance.
Speaker 7: I mean, the ship was amazing piece because that's like the best piece I've ever read on Michael Jordan's.
Speaker 5: That ship is amazing, and it breaks down just as a Carolina nigga, that ship spoke to my soul. So it just breaks down, like his coming up in Wilmington and like the racist ship that went down in Wilmington.
Speaker 9: And like everything, I apologize, I'm a North No, it still it just gives context.
Speaker 5: And so it just shows like for him for people on the outside, like why didn't he speak out? Why didn't he do this? For someone like him that literally came up on a dirt fucking road, like you know what I mean, and like saw all these atrocities and you know, from his family and like all this shit. The success that was revolution to him, to him is just yo, I'm just here to do my fucking job, and my job and the work I do on the court that's gonna speak for me and speak more for my people more than me making a speech ever fucking would.
Speaker 9: And then I'm charge dollars and more for they shoot these shoes and they're gonna be all right. They might kill each other, fight each other over, but I ain't gonna say shit. I'm just gonna let it happen, and I'm gonna charge more than this. This is gonna be five hundred.
Speaker 4: Dollars, because that's what it is.
Speaker 5: I mean, listen, I mean if you go to the I mean if you look at like Starberry when he tried to do his shoe, you know, twenty five dollars.
Speaker 4: Shoes right in the middle the got that show was but no, but.
Speaker 5: I'm saying it showed that that was price point is not an issue for the people that want those shoes, Like it's not.
Speaker 4: Now he's saying niggas need to be killing and shooting and ship like that.
Speaker 5: But it was just you know, I don't think all that should lay at the feet of Jordan, like niggas is gonna do whatever to get them shoes.
Speaker 7: I wouldn't, but I would say I would not lay all that there. As the years have gone by, I tended to see his his level or brand of activism in a different way. That being said, though he had opportunities on the most basic shoot all I'm saying like him not supporting Harvey Gan against Jesse.
Speaker 3: It's like dog like, this is a layup, Like this is a la Jordan, like.
Speaker 2: This is a literal.
Speaker 9: Literally it was It's gonna be the nineties, It's gonna be the two thousands.
Speaker 7: But the other thing too, I think Jordan's you know, he provided a blueprint. The problem was within that that in decoding how he was able to gain such success is that players started to take on to an extreme level this idea that they wanted to be as politically or as a political as possible. And because that's I mean, ultimately, what Jordan was able to successfully do is he allowed himself to be such an every man that you you didn't know how he felt about anything, whatever beliefs you thought he had, or you maybe project your own beliefs onto him and be like, oh, I'm sure he thinks like this, because that's what made him quote Ico transcended.
Speaker 4: That's like people were so surprised when they saw he was listening to Ken what that is? That's my that is my uncle, like my uncle, my uncle Brod.
Speaker 5: I love my uncle the death like and he was like a big musical influence from me. And you know he was listening to pe Funk and all that stuff. But hip hop just wasn't his thing. So it's like certain men like born in the South, Yeah, like that just wasn't them.
Speaker 4: I mean, we love him blackness.
Speaker 9: I can tell by the black and white of his eyes today that he's black as hell.
Speaker 8: I'm just saying, you tell.
Speaker 5: Them jeans shout out to ever created what the fuck is Michael Jordan wearing?
Speaker 3: But the thing is Jordan was still rock that ship right now. Yes, yes, so today today.
Speaker 7: Like he ain't even got to the poort where he upgraded to be a time joiner cruise fresh, Like he ain't even there yet.
Speaker 3: You can't tell him ship.
Speaker 6: I'd be throwing off if he wore like a good tapered suit, and I'd be throwing off if he had something fitted.
Speaker 7: Yeah, despite the fact he has like he should be wearing euro cut with the slender Physicah.
Speaker 3: He should.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I agree that he could have been less a political but I also understand the times under which when that shit went down, And I also understand for someone like him from his generation where he's from, I understood his definition of success and revolution and standing up for his people looks very different than what it looks like to people now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's hard, it's hardly a Kanye.
Speaker 3: No, No, he's not.
Speaker 7: He never He always embraced being black, like there was never any question he was that he was not this But the problem I think is that I think there's some degree his miscalculation. Although it has obviously led to him attaining unbelievable wealth and being the only black NBA owner in the NBA, his miscalculation and sometimes this is many people in his position have done this that are black, is that they want to practice capitalism act. And I'm not sure if those two things were meant to be in the same sentence.
Speaker 3: As I said, charity does not.
Speaker 7: Fix structural inequality or institutional racism. It doesn't because you're dependent on charity to fix structural issues that were not created by the people giving this charity. Like as great as it is that Lebron has started his own school and he is changing lives, it can't do anything to fix ultimately, what's the real problem in acron is underfunded historically underfunded children, Black children in particular. You know, as great as it is that him for it, but this idea that I think in our community, and this is why I encourage us to not to be really very informed about how politics works, because I hear a lot of us saying like, I don't really, I don't, I don't do politics.
Speaker 3: No, you have to do politics.
Speaker 7: To make this work because the only way the structural inequality is gonna fixed is through politics. Because Lebron can't start one hundred schools to fix education in America.
Speaker 3: He can't. That can only come from policy. So we have to be involved on that.
Speaker 7: Level and understand that a lot of us give back to the community, a lot of us come back and try to buy buildings and bly to block it's still not fixing gentrification and red light it's still not fixing that.
Speaker 4: So we have to.
Speaker 3: It's a right start, but you.
Speaker 4: Got to start somewhere fix all this ship.
Speaker 3: No, but that's why you can't have one without the other.
Speaker 7: Like we can't continue to to disengage ourselves from the political process because you.
Speaker 3: Know, we we we.
Speaker 7: Think it's too hard or we don't want to fight that that fight. But it's like, no, the best thing that we could see happen is like we were talking earlier about Corey Bush, who you know is soon to be It looks like for sure she'll be Representative District one in in Missouri in St.
Speaker 3: Louis.
Speaker 7: This is a woman who started who was a Ferguson activist when Michael Brown was killed and for her to go from that to get to being a representative in Congress is huge. That's how you fix structural inequality because you have somebody there who understands the issues on the ground, somebody who is a single mother, homeless, domestic assault survivor, I'm sorry, domestic violence survivor, sexual assault survivor, somebody who understands at a basic level what it's like not to have and has and is in a position now to sit on committees, impact policy, change neighborhood.
Speaker 3: You gotta that's what you gotta have.
Speaker 7: Like, it's like, you gotta have that because if you don't, it's like the charitable stuff will come, will be depending on somebody in our community attaining generational wealth, which is not easy to do.
Speaker 3: To fix some shit. Yeah, it's a crap shoot.
Speaker 7: So it's like we gotta like even you don't even have to become a rep. If you just sit on a school board, you be shocked. You can change yo, go to a PA, run your PTA. See what happened, start ap PTA.
Speaker 5: What we're going through this shit right now with all the schools you know where everything going on, virtual going online, and nah, we're going through it.
Speaker 4: This shit is insane. This is insane.
Speaker 7: Now more than ever is the time where we need to retake a lot of our local political structures because they're.
Speaker 3: There to be had.
Speaker 7: You know, if somebody asked me, what's how would you how would you summarize twenty twenty, and I said I would summarize it. My only takeaway or the biggest takeaway we need to think about for twenty twenty is district attorneys are elected positions.
Speaker 3: That's what we need to take away from this.
Speaker 7: Understand, most DA's run unopposed, most of them do, and so most of us do not vote in local elections. And that is how because we have who the president is is powerful, not saying that, but who your mayory is.
Speaker 4: Who's on the police, your judges, all.
Speaker 7: That judges like you gotta vote in those elections because you can really change your city, Like just by voting, you could truly change it. You could get in the people who understand systemic racism and criminal justice reform, who understand because das have so much influence about what cases to prosecute. If you have a DA that is not holding the police accountable, vote them out, vote them out. You could put somebody on the ballot who will carry justice the way it deserves to be carried in our communities. And that's why I said, like, we got to stop this conversation about feeling like it's a badge of honor to not be politically engaged. We can't afford to do that. We will fail our communities and act like.
Speaker 9: Just because you don't like both the candidate is one hundred percent that you just I don't like them.
Speaker 3: You know how you change that?
Speaker 8: It's like you change that.
Speaker 7: But being involved from the start, like what we have right now, that's on the ticket, however you feel about it didn't have to be that way. We have plenty of opportunities to make sure there was different.
Speaker 3: People on the ticket.
Speaker 8: It didn't right primary exactly.
Speaker 7: Hey, as long as our young people and if they as long as they continue to not vote, you keep.
Speaker 3: Doing what you're doing, you're gonna keep getting what you're getting, all right.
Speaker 6: We are quasi noted for being a music podcast. We're all things to all podcasts.
Speaker 3: I will podcast matter, yeah exactly.
Speaker 4: Well, no we're not all.
Speaker 6: So I will ask you, uh, and you cannot include any greatest sets or box sets compilations.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's important distinction you're.
Speaker 2: Right, we're in the second wave of quarantining for two years straight.
Speaker 6: What five physical albums are you allowed to listen to for that duration.
Speaker 2: Of two years?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: Records.
Speaker 7: So because I ask people this all the time, I've always prepared for this answer for the most part, and because I prefer to ask people, I call it the Desert Island question. I prefer to ask him that as opposed to like five mcs, like you got to go with the things that mean something to you.
Speaker 3: So for I used to.
Speaker 6: Do on this show gun to the Head, but they said it's too violent.
Speaker 2: So without gun to the head, I'll just say quarantine.
Speaker 7: Quarantine five five albums Songs in the Key of Life, okay, h for sure, Ready.
Speaker 3: To Die Biggie.
Speaker 2: Number four Okay, yep.
Speaker 7: I'm also I mean because I'm gonna make sure I get this album Mary Jay is.
Speaker 2: My Life Okay, number three, I'm.
Speaker 3: Gonna take the roots. Do you want more?
Speaker 7: And I'm not I'm not to say that just because, like you know, I think about like literally like life changing album.
Speaker 8: Just go ahead, finish your.
Speaker 7: List, and I think I'm gonna take because I want to say and I'm not.
Speaker 3: I'm just trying to think. You know what. No, Anita Baker Compositions.
Speaker 5: Oh you go, compositions, okay, dress, that's my love.
Speaker 7: Compositions, Compositions. I've gotten the many argument about Compositions being her best album. That's no shade any of her work. But I'm telling you Compositions is flawless.
Speaker 5: Top now that run, that rapture, giving you the best that I got in Compositions.
Speaker 6: If she would let her catalog extreme, I could actually wait in opinion.
Speaker 9: Wow, I never even checked for It's.
Speaker 2: Only on title.
Speaker 6: You could be you can barely find the angel anywhere else, Like there is no meet I need a Baker on Spotify or that's.
Speaker 8: Why you got Laylan and got her in the.
Speaker 2: Clinch, her and Her and d.
Speaker 4: Her cover of Analiah. Yeah, her cover of records.
Speaker 7: You can only get a none but the number unfortunately, but black was it one in a billion?
Speaker 3: Because that's a million?
Speaker 4: No, this is nothing.
Speaker 5: All the black Ground ships are like Tank first two albums. I think, yep, all that ship on Blackground.
Speaker 7: Is Nothing's his name Barry Hankerson, right, he holding all that ship hostage, Uncle Barry, especially a Leada ship like you just I'm so I'm glad I had her CDs, like I have a needed ship because I got.
Speaker 4: All s away because I thought, get them.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well I have the CDs, but I also put them on a on a hard drive, so I had the hard drive with I was like, oh no, I love that.
Speaker 4: So you're sorry, choices you have very Yeah, I'm surprised. Ain't Mic make it in that No, MJ. I thought, I thought I got.
Speaker 7: I thought about it as well because I was struggling between his first album, because I still you know, I think, uh, you know, Off the Wall is better than Thriller. I think, yeah, I think I struggle with with picking a Michael Jackson album or a Prints album. The problem is with both of them they have so much. I mean not that Stevie Wonder doesn't, but like to me, songs in the Kia Life is like literally a perfect album. So yeah, no, I just thought to think about the things that I have on like constant repeat, and as much as I love those artists, it's like, I mean, I was listening to My Life like literally a couple of days ago.
Speaker 4: That Joy from top to bottom.
Speaker 3: It's a banger.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna say that, you know, I'm saying it's a curious choice because I think if actually in that situation, I don't listen to not the albums that I like but like, it would be easy to stay off the wall.
Speaker 2: But I think I would get tired of off the wall after.
Speaker 3: Ye after a certain amount of spans two.
Speaker 6: Months of that, so I you know, I would actually pick like Blood on the.
Speaker 2: No, Yo, I'm gonna tell you something. I'm gonna tell you something I got.
Speaker 6: I got caught in a Michael Jackson rabbit hole, and I decided I was going to teach myself to accept or like and Invincible.
Speaker 2: Yes, that joints.
Speaker 4: The ones that hit hit on Invents Butterfly.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna I'm gonna be in so much trouble when we get to the writing Jerkins episode.
Speaker 5: No You, the Jerkins joints wasn't the ones that went off on that album, the ones that he it was it was Rocked My World. Well I did like rock My World. That was him break it an Butterflies weight.
Speaker 3: Listen. It's like.
Speaker 7: It may not have I mean to think about Michael Jackson is like you get so spoiled, like the fact that that people at the time considered bad to be a disappointment, and that's like.
Speaker 8: Garrett, like see what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: It's like, but his highs were so high that if Michael on a on a twelve a twelve song album, if only four or five of them joints are bankers, You're like, this is a disappointment.
Speaker 3: You're like, what you know?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 5: I always say, also think it's something too, it has to be something racist at work. I always thought it was something crazy that the Eagles always got the record for, like the album go Higher and hire this is.
Speaker 4: The greatest hit. So I'm like, that's bullshit, Like you.
Speaker 5: Matther fuckers had to compile all y'all best ship on one album to have smoke for a nigga that made an album of all his that ship.
Speaker 4: Like, get the funk out of here. I didn't make it, y'all.
Speaker 5: Niggas need the greatest his album to funk with the nine jams I just did and smashing all y'all ship, I don't think should be there.
Speaker 4: That's the biggest Eagle song.
Speaker 6: California Hotel, California, best of My Love and you kid in Town, I said.
Speaker 8: Like crossing, that's only one knew that ship.
Speaker 2: That's like the one sure version.
Speaker 3: I know that's a fact. Ship, that's a fact.
Speaker 8: It was.
Speaker 2: It was, but you know we did a i'l be sure episode was episode.
Speaker 6: But the day that I got private times in the whole nine.
Speaker 3: Ship Mannie, that was.
Speaker 5: That was on the sixty Versus album.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 7: And by the way, Chris, uh, what what blood sacrifice do I have to make to get you.
Speaker 2: To make it happen? Let's let's make it happen.
Speaker 8: Will make it.
Speaker 7: Happen because deep dive into how you possibly don't like Bad Boys too. We're gonna go deep dive. But by the way, when you when you said the Tyler Perry rabbit hole, did you watch Fall from Grace?
Speaker 3: Is that what happened?
Speaker 8: Now?
Speaker 5: Did I watch it?
Speaker 7: But first of all, is okay.
Speaker 6: How I came up was the debate on Bad Boys got so bad? Then I was like, well, I might as well throw this grenade into the argument. Can you guys differentiate what what's the When we determined that Bad Boys was a classic.
Speaker 4: Film, that but that wasn't a good movie.
Speaker 2: That wasn't a good movie.
Speaker 6: Then I just wanted some suggestions on what do we consider like what Til Perry works are that?
Speaker 2: And I think I want.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I said good deeds, good deeds for me.
Speaker 10: I was like, good deeds was all right?
Speaker 9: And you know what family that praise was. I'm gonna say that's Kathy Baits, right, Yep, that's Cathy Baits.
Speaker 4: That was ran together.
Speaker 9: But I'm telling you the Fall from Grace.
Speaker 4: Yea fall Grace was just incoherent.
Speaker 9: It was like, it's the greatest bad ship you've ever seen, Like it, Oh my god.
Speaker 8: It's amazing you do that.
Speaker 9: But I mean, you got bad wigs, you got you know, Tyler Perry he filmed as a tire movie in three hours, like unbelieved, right.
Speaker 5: Just two hours more than it took him to write it like icon and this, You're like, how did you.
Speaker 8: Get he gets her everything?
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 10: It's so much happening and I mean that I don't know if.
Speaker 9: You agree with this, uhlo, But they plot twist actually went bad.
Speaker 4: It No, the plot was horrible because it was just.
Speaker 8: The only people in this world.
Speaker 5: I don't want to spoil that, but it was I can't say it without spoiling.
Speaker 4: But it was just the end part bad film.
Speaker 10: That's that's a fair question, even know.
Speaker 5: And I'm gonna be real, even though I walk into a Tyler Perry movie, I know what I'm getting. I'm not expecting, you know what, even by Tyler Perry senters.
Speaker 4: So this was just bad.
Speaker 10: It was disrespectful to the craft. But you get to watch it.
Speaker 6: Wait, where does where does it like compared to uh, what's this series?
Speaker 9: Oh, sisters, I've never seen it.
Speaker 4: I heard that I haven't have not. She swears, I haven't have not.
Speaker 9: I watched one episode. Have y'all watched that oval off and ship?
Speaker 8: I can't, honestly, I can't.
Speaker 9: I've ever seen ever put on television ever, and it's not close. There's no way that had Notts is as bad as this.
Speaker 10: There's no way. I refuse to believe that.
Speaker 9: I was just like what I mean, it's fuckery, it's coterie, it's fuckery, it's all of that, like it is.
Speaker 10: I got through an episode that.
Speaker 4: Yes, the O.
Speaker 8: It was.
Speaker 10: I know it's back for another season. Y'all saw the think.
Speaker 9: I saw the think about how Tyler period to basically feel about sixty two movies during COVID. Somehow he got the COVID test like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and he built like he built like housing for people like to stay on his like a state and ship looking.
Speaker 8: Forward in two years. The stories about this ship that's.
Speaker 9: The Tyler period formula. Is he only paying one person per movie?
Speaker 7: Like, it's just it's only he getting one You're only paying one person. Okay, shout out to Doragi Hinton because he got had some checks.
Speaker 10: But she's gonna be the only what did that.
Speaker 8: Movie gets paid?
Speaker 4: Shot shouting girl shout.
Speaker 10: I think her and.
Speaker 9: It might have been the only two people who got paid to every No way, everybody else had to do that for free. That Oh wait, hold up another one, dude. Did you see acrobody.
Speaker 4: Man achroon it? Yeah?
Speaker 6: I watched it on the plane once and then halfway through had to take it off because I didn't want the people behind me judging me. You know, like when you're watching a really bad film on the plane and someone might be behind you judging you.
Speaker 2: That's how I felt about Acrimony.
Speaker 8: I'm still trying to figure.
Speaker 10: Out how you got on the yacht. I'm still trying to figure this out. I'm like, did she fly? Like?
Speaker 8: Oh that okay?
Speaker 5: They have like it's just big plot holes. I'm like, dude, this is it's just incoherent.
Speaker 8: It's like the Long It's a lot of them, so I'm just okay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the n Alon one, Yeah, that was going on affair, fatal affair.
Speaker 10: Wait, that was that one?
Speaker 4: Yes, that was what that was. But it's in the same it's in the same neighborhood.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And if you actually look at Fatal Affair as a sequel to Juice, it is tracked like but if you look at.
Speaker 2: The Juice, it wasn't.
Speaker 8: It wasn't.
Speaker 5: It wasn't.
Speaker 6: It wasn't, but he is.
Speaker 5: You look at it as a you with me with you with me with the vision.
Speaker 9: No, you gotta watch it like it's it's we in college, we used to have bad Black movie nights, so we saw all the master piece movies like because I.
Speaker 5: Want something about it the other night after the again, because we had it on tape, like me and my boy we had it.
Speaker 4: We had the vhs, like in the dorm watching that ship.
Speaker 5: Now twenty plus years later. Oh man, it's a fucking masterpiece.
Speaker 8: Okay, yeah, that's a masterpiece of the Bad Boys.
Speaker 5: Ain't exactly and I stand on it, right, but.
Speaker 4: It is on.
Speaker 2: The you know what's weird? All right?
Speaker 6: So I have these conversations with and she swears up and down that Black Night with Martin Lawrence is a masterpiece.
Speaker 4: She lion, I gotta hear, we gotta get him on the show.
Speaker 2: She got it.
Speaker 8: She got to stand on that.
Speaker 2: She even talk to me unless I watch it completely.
Speaker 10: Have you watched it?
Speaker 4: A look on his face.
Speaker 5: Like fadal Affair, y'all gotta watch fal Affair that moving night.
Speaker 4: She don't with the.
Speaker 2: Better she dude, she no mans, She'll kill me.
Speaker 8: Damn.
Speaker 2: I can't bring no bulls into the table. What I can't bring any bullshit to.
Speaker 9: The table, not fun bullshit Like that's like fedal Fairs is fun bullshit.
Speaker 2: Yeah she can, like if it's not bettering in her life.
Speaker 6: She's like, oh man, yeah, I can't.
Speaker 8: That's what you know.
Speaker 5: That for the rest of us back at Niggavilleia, if you ever want to know the I mean, you want to talk about the Pandora's the Pandora's Box of hood black Ship. Amazon Prime is the fucking mother low no nigga Amazon Prime They black no, no, no, no, no, no, you don't understand. Amazon Prime make Netflix look like HBO with the Black Black you don't understand Nigga Amazon Prime. It's a whole subgenre of like hood. There's a Cuckoo Cow documentary on Amazon Prime.
Speaker 8: What exact remember and Cuckoo Cow? Why does sound faigiar to me?
Speaker 5: Because he had that once on my projects? In my project, he has a documentary narrated.
Speaker 8: By Cuckoo Caw and he hit his own narration.
Speaker 9: I'm in, I'm in no more.
Speaker 2: Cock cow Yo. I'm stopping this episode right now. It's like a watch it. Yes, Jamiel, we thank you very much for you on this episode. We're gonna watch Cuckoo Cow right now when we have a fun a little sugar Steve unpaid bill. Yeah, Jamil, We thank you so much for being on the show.
Speaker 1: Zea we'st Love Supreme is a production of iHeart Radio. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.