Speaker 1: West Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey, this is Sugar Steve from Quest Love Supreme and I'll be half the team Supreme.
Speaker 1: Thanks for being part of us.
Speaker 3: We love you.
Speaker 4: Is this.
Speaker 1: Fucking go?
Speaker 5: Oh? Oh my god?
Speaker 3: This is It's okay to sing along, y'all.
Speaker 5: Okay, I used to be.
Speaker 1: He used to be.
Speaker 3: A man.
Speaker 1: On the bridge too. Seems like it's your chance, you see, have my plea. I don't even know this. I actually don't.
Speaker 6: Lisa, go ahead, Melly, can't you see?
Speaker 5: I'm a cry. I can't believe he did this.
Speaker 1: Wow, man, you.
Speaker 5: Are blacker than I've never thought.
Speaker 1: Wait the half suit?
Speaker 6: Oh my god?
Speaker 1: Wait, I love you like.
Speaker 2: My friend, famous brother, happy poor, Thank you quest Love for this magical journey.
Speaker 1: You used to I don't feel like I'm my funeral ship he used to. Wait a minute, I'm so many.
Speaker 5: Questions, no technical questions.
Speaker 1: How did you get the instrumental.
Speaker 7: The internet?
Speaker 8: He's engineered this, Jesus, Oh my god, Erica, oh man, man, Wow, oh.
Speaker 5: My gosh, I'm a second. I'm gonna tell off.
Speaker 1: Wait, aren't getting then? Are we getting? The rigging belt burst?
Speaker 5: He put so much working I didn't hear it.
Speaker 1: There you got this.
Speaker 6: One.
Speaker 5: This was gone and happened. But he never told me.
Speaker 1: He told me that this clodcast never did he.
Speaker 5: Don't get this.
Speaker 8: To me.
Speaker 1: One This was gone happening, but he never told him to win. He told me that this podcast.
Speaker 9: Never would be cold up dad.
Speaker 1: He won't say his die. My god, no, my god, no, I wan know.
Speaker 5: Wow, that sounds really good.
Speaker 4: Steve harmonized, that's not you see.
Speaker 10: Yeah, who have I been sitting next to for eight years?
Speaker 1: Who is this guy?
Speaker 11: Who is this.
Speaker 1: Guynte has an infamous saying that he says occasionally in quest of Supreme episodes, which is from downtown. That was the ten year from downtown.
Speaker 7: I thought it was just gonna be like ten seconds long.
Speaker 3: Got to commit.
Speaker 11: So when we get in the s R and B.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was between that and on the wings.
Speaker 5: I even think you liked R and B.
Speaker 1: He he liked that y a little.
Speaker 11: I mean that's black.
Speaker 1: But no, this was a choice.
Speaker 12: This was a choice, Steve. That was the greatest thing you've ever done. The thing was I thought, in my mind you brought up there is a I wanted this to be.
Speaker 5: This was way better. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: The length of the song a couple of times.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine in your mind that he had to study all the lyrics because you ain't I know that joint. Did you reported that where you did it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Nah, Man, that that was touching Steve that that kind of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd like to communicate in song.
Speaker 1: Hey, but we were saying we received received, we receive it.
Speaker 4: Brittany reminded me of some honorable mentions that you had asked a question about, and I just wanted to mention these real quick because I feel like they might touch your soul on the answer to the real question of the hardest booking I have it because you've never heard the episode, which is Dave Chappelle, because we're still waiting for him to sign that paperwork. It caused a rift between he and I. Unbeknownst to him, he didn't give for three years.
Speaker 1: The riff is still going on.
Speaker 5: Oh why I thought y'all made but y'all.
Speaker 1: Made up cordial. I mean. The thing is is that this is also the quasi elephant in the room, Like, yes, there's the risk that if you're doing business with your loved ones or your friends that the script will get lost. Miscommunication happens whatever. Like in the case of Dave, I don't know why he wanted to pull the episode.
Speaker 4: Because he got beer drunk and he thought they thought that he didn't sound coherent because it was.
Speaker 11: It was dope, It was dope. He was just in there chopping it up.
Speaker 5: Shout out to Corey Blacksmith, fucking it up. I don't care.
Speaker 6: And then also did they get to hear it?
Speaker 5: No, no, no, no, no, no, they're good. This is just a historical we have to detail that you you won't hear this episode to that part.
Speaker 4: And then also another uncomfortable guest situation must be brought up because of mirror. I know you with me on this one who Snoop's house? Where say it was it Bill or Steve was living a different life than me and a mirror on the other side of the table.
Speaker 5: Do you remember that? The Oh okay, then it was Steve and.
Speaker 4: Fante living a different life on one side and you and I were living us.
Speaker 10: Totally, because I think that was like his guy kept trying to wrap it up.
Speaker 1: All I remember was I couldn't get into the Snoop episode because we I guess they're just under the impression that it was going to be like a quickie, yeah, twenty minute thing, and didn't know the depths that we went into it, and Fante just kept shooting from the half court and all the way over the other side.
Speaker 7: Remember that time you did that record with this person.
Speaker 1: That was cool.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and he kept going like as long as Snoop was having a good time, I was like, if he having a good time, shit, I'm gonna keep going.
Speaker 1: Would ask a question, and then Snoop brought like gave us another like three minutes, but he just kept asking I guess, lion, and I just kept trying.
Speaker 4: To but his boy kept getting closer to me and a mirror like I know, y'all see me standing here, like.
Speaker 5: Wrap this shit up, and I had to and he had to bring me.
Speaker 4: I had old school radio flashbacks because I had to go outside and talk to that brother and be like yo, while.
Speaker 5: The interview, it's as like you on us and I can I'm supposed to be doing this and you right here.
Speaker 4: I wish, But Snoops House is really fun though, and we played a lot like kids. No.
Speaker 1: That was awesome. That was an awesome show. Yeah, it was fun, Like I wish we could have deep dove, but it was such a panic to keep him engaged, you know. And so all right, so there are some questions that our audience asked for us. The number one is, how have we individually evolved since QLs launched in twenty sixteen. How have we how have we evolved in the last almost ten years.
Speaker 3: Like professionally or personally?
Speaker 4: Well, because they now, so that's a beautiful evolution too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I guess and I can tie this into well one while we're doing this episode, which was I think back in twenty fifteen, you know, I took great pride in just working, work and work and work and working, doing a whole bunch of shit, doing the podcast, doing falling, DJing, and that's when I was doing like Brooklyn Bowl Heavy and you know, I would do about maybe sixteen DJ gigs a month. I mean, roots were still doing shows, and you know, it was kind of at the beginning of the end of me scoring stuff. I was scoring movies. I thought that was going to be my entry into the world of you know, movies or whatever. And actually Summer Soul kind of first entered maybe in twenty seventeen, like a year later, but I never thought I would get tired or just like, maybe I'm doing too much, don't he do it? And it's yeah, And sometimes it's also like it costs and relationships, like you have two full grown sons, you got kids and different spouses than you did when you first started this jouring or what. I don't know. I think maybe in the last four or five years, that's where I was where I was just like I was living my dreams, but like coming home to the worst silence ever, like nothing pains me, Alexand quest's what.
Speaker 5: The lyric was, thank.
Speaker 7: You and you've learned to accept your flowers. I feel like that's the thing you've learned over these years we've been doing this. That's that you know how to accept the compliment now like you never have before.
Speaker 5: You know, and it's given to you.
Speaker 1: Yes, But also I will on the professional front, I listened to four early episodes all last week, and I have to say that I think all of us have done a remarkable job in our interviewing skills. And I don't know, like what we're doing now will still apply to where we are in our lives, but I would like to actually say that, yeah, I mean there were some episodes that were chaotic. Of course, you know Fante's I roll in at the small episode, Yo, classic, that ship was crazy.
Speaker 3: We had fun.
Speaker 1: It's not his favorite episode.
Speaker 11: It was I mean, it was fine, you know, it was cool.
Speaker 1: They were cool.
Speaker 5: But yeah, yes, he was so funny. I don't know what to do with him.
Speaker 1: Sorry, it was a special episode. I enjoyed it because it was just, you know, just hearing them scream on top of each other. But yes, it was chaotic funny. But I will say that in terms of interviewing and getting to know people and that sort of thing, that's what I felt that this this platform had given me. And also you know the fact that choosing you guys.
Speaker 5: Shout out to Sean G. Because you can't be saying you chose me because called me Yo.
Speaker 1: I just showed up. But who said it to Sea G.
Speaker 11: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I thought it was Sean G.
Speaker 1: I'm a person too. What you thought you was? Just like you arrived at the doors, stoped with it in a basket given to me by the fire department.
Speaker 5: Like an assignment, like so take this good luck.
Speaker 1: No, but Shawing heard the pilot. He was just like, Okay, there's a lot of inside talk here. You guys don't explain you're talking over each other. You need someone experienced and you know, hide to stopterone. You need a lady, a woman in here to put you guys in line. And of course you know.
Speaker 5: The third person. I thought it was like.
Speaker 4: Two years before you started this podcast when I had first heard Q Tips podcast on Apple.
Speaker 5: And I was like, yo, we should do something like this. And do you know this fool said to me.
Speaker 4: You know I'm working on something, and it took know you.
Speaker 1: You already know that y'all taught me this. That there's Ronald McDonald and then there's Ray kroc u Less. Yes, indeed, we.
Speaker 5: Have talked about him.
Speaker 1: You know that I am Ronald McDonald no matter how you cut it. I know that in your eye rolling already. You know you always go to the very crock first instead of ron McDonald. When I want jay Z to do something, I don't go to jay Z to ask him to do I know who to ask to get him to be like, hey, you know what I mean. That's just the name of the game.
Speaker 4: And by the way, that's shan Gee episode also one of our sleepers, like, yes, very good episode.
Speaker 3: James Boyser episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was great. So yeah, I will say that what I learned, especially like last year, and you know, the total transparency. We had a real talk last night at dinner as a family, as as friends without microphones and whatever, and basically I felt like, especially with last year, there was a commonality where, you know, I had nine businesses open with nine imagine what it takes to run this and know that there's eight other this world, like when I do my bookshit, there's eight of this in the food, shit, this shit, root stuff, movie stuff like. And I realized probably last year that yes, even though the businesses are up and running and thriving, but I'm also failing in the personal relationship one on one thing, which a lot of that is also just the reluctant leadership, which I had to work on a lot of it is also just not knowing how to communicate, which is like called for another therapist. I got two therapists. Oh no, brow, I had to get two therapists just.
Speaker 5: To are any of your therapists of color?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, yeah, Jaska. And so it's pretty much like I had to learn, especially for this platform. My decision thought decision was also the thought decision to kind of bring this to a closer land the plane was basically like what were my bottom like, what's my priority? Set you on fire? Like for me, the roots will always be my number one thing. Movies I have a passion for doing that. Book writing is not so on fire. I'd rather be the book company and people write there's shit just going down the list. But this, as far as this is concerned, even though I love nerding out on meeting people whatever, I just wasn't able to really give this the commitment that I felt it would deserve. And I felt like it was also putting a strain on us personally as people, and I love our camaraderie on and off the air. So that's my version of like landing the plane, at least as far as this episode's concerned. So I had a lot of learning to do, like last year, as people are concerned, Yeah, I think we all did.
Speaker 10: I think back to the personal the evolution question that I think one of the viewers asked, I think for me, this definitely everything you said one hundred percent. You know, we kind of watched from the sidelines. I guess there's like one of your homeboys becomes you know, famous.
Speaker 11: You know what I mean.
Speaker 10: And so for me, I just always kind of gave that grace of just understand. It's like, listen, this has got to be a total mindfucking I've said this. You know, it's got to be a mindfucker to go from drumming on South Street to now you got Obama in your phone, you know what I mean. And that's and to go through that kind of trajectory, and you know the amount of time that that happened, you know, I knew that was a lot. And so for me, because I do know some people that ask, like why you know I left the show, I only left. The first time I left, it was because I was have a cigarettes.
Speaker 11: I was not.
Speaker 1: I'm not out for fucking cigarettes.
Speaker 10: I was on tour with my group Little Brother, because we just came back. When I first known one album they a little Watch it number one, and I couldn't, you know, I couldn't. I couldn't do both. It was just you know, two times, you.
Speaker 1: Knew where I'm discovering now that you can't do both.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you get something's gotta give, yeah, you know, because it's gonna eventually that neglect is gonna show up.
Speaker 1: In your product, you know what I mean.
Speaker 10: And so you know, man, so yeah, that was the first time, and then this last time, I think it was just kind of what you were saying.
Speaker 11: It just kind of definitely felt.
Speaker 1: Like the show.
Speaker 10: I just saw like kind of where your career is going to what you're involved in. It was just like, yeah, I think it's time. You know, for me, it was time. I had my own work to do. And uh, you know, we was our twenty anniversary of foreign exchange period, so you know, I was able to get nick you know on we you know, able to celebrate that. You know, we had a slew releases from our label and stuff. Last year, my son graduated high school and like.
Speaker 11: Winning the congratulations, thank you man.
Speaker 10: And and then you know, at the end of the year, I lost my best friend, Big Milk.
Speaker 11: He died in September.
Speaker 10: So you know, even if I had a stayed on, you know, it was still I didn't have room for it. I just didn't have like this because I had life shit that you know was happening. And you know, it was this thing where I think we did a good job, where I think we're all at now is that understanding.
Speaker 11: It's like, listen, man, everything ends.
Speaker 10: You just hope that in the best case scenario, you can sit and talk about it and it doesn't have to end in chaos. And I think that is the biggest part for me in terms of watching you know how I've seen certain entities end over my life as anyone has seen the LB DOT you know, it was lived.
Speaker 3: It.
Speaker 10: I like that we're all at a place where we can all decide like, hey, this is where it ends. We've told our story and our relationships are no less you know, no less, not any less stronger or any you know, any more love, loss or whatever.
Speaker 11: And that's what I'm most proud of.
Speaker 10: And you know, this has been an amazing journey man, like over nine years, like you know, I mean you was joking earlier, but it's them being divorces, it's being kids born, it's being like it's you know, real shit that happened, and uh, you know, outside of just the work that we do here, like y'all are all like my friends, Like I love y'all man like straight like that, you know what I mean, and so too, Yeah, thank you for all of you know, and and this is whatever you know a lot of times me and like you talked about last night, when you're doing times with friends, doing work with friends, you have to kind of stop sometimes and differentiate. It's like, Okay, I know there's not a malicious bone in this person's body.
Speaker 11: I know it's not malicious. So they're not.
Speaker 1: Being a shitty friend.
Speaker 10: They are just trying to navigate this business, and I have to give them that grace to say, Okay, bro, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: It's not their fault it sometimes the business is shitty, but they're still a good friend.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Yeah, right, It's it's like, yeah, it's cool and you know, but yeah, took.
Speaker 5: Me a minute.
Speaker 11: Yeah, okay, that took me a minute.
Speaker 4: See, my whole life has been a little different, like doing radio and Philadelphia and going being an advocate for you guys on my own. Now you never, nobody ever forced me to be an advocate for the Root, but it was just what I felt in my heart, and then the music and going into Shawn Gee's office at some point and being like I want to work with y'all.
Speaker 5: I have to.
Speaker 4: I want to do something because it's just something more here, which that was like that might have been fifteen years ago and fast forward to this being like the first time working with you guys.
Speaker 5: It's been an interesting journey and separate.
Speaker 4: Like Fante said, like, I'm just getting to the point now where i can separate the friendship from the business because it's been.
Speaker 5: About a rocky road.
Speaker 4: I think probably out of everybody sitting here, I've probably had a little bit of a more rockiest road.
Speaker 1: You know, because you have the longest history, like you would, you know.
Speaker 4: The longest history. This is my profession. Nobody else makes money off of doing this but me. So I came in here also like hoping to, you know, get their respect in that way because I'm the person that has been doing broadcasting for all of their career and had to felt like I had to earn it in these eight years again, like I have really had to earn it and make my way and make my voice be heard and doubled and get in when you hit fit in and not talk. All the stuff that I've learned a long time ago. Now I'm experienced it with co hosts who've never been taught it. So between that and you know, just again separating the business from the friendship. Last night, was a real moment in that conversation Fonte where I really went like, you know, a mirror.
Speaker 5: He came through from me, and I.
Speaker 4: Didn't really see it because it was all this other stuff going on with other people. But when I needed him, he came through for me. When he first felt like this wasn't for him anymore, he called me that day like, I remember you called me when I was at Jeff's house and he was like, I'm and so for that, I'm not gonna get emotional, but like, oh.
Speaker 5: This is the progress that I have made.
Speaker 4: I have to make for me, and no more other people saying like, yeah, you're the shit you deserve to be here.
Speaker 5: I don't see that anymore.
Speaker 1: Now. It's like, let me like that. I one hundred appreciate you and love you for I know. I don't want to just be a kryy jowing. She got the cry out. Good, just let her cry. It's fine.
Speaker 11: It's important.
Speaker 1: You said something when we when we talked that day, when I was like, look, I don't know if I want to continue to do this, and you gave an analogy where it was like, you're right. I didn't think of it as you know, we've been running this business as a corner store. We talked about it, right, We've always had a corner store community kind of you a corporation now, my boy, right, and we're basically Amazon now. And unfortunately it's like seven people running all of Amazon, and some shit's been very shitty, and you know, it's it pains me when my friends are paid because like all last year is where I'm just like, all right, take it a mirror, like you know, most people in my position will get defensive, petty and all it.
Speaker 5: And we're born on the same day, like.
Speaker 1: Right, and so I'm not saying it lightly. Like this is probably the most important lesson that I've learned in life, and I appreciate you for bringing that to me. Fonte Layah, Bill, Damn Bill, I'm just realizing now I didn't even ask you, like what you learned? Bill, I'm good.
Speaker 7: No, I actually feel like I've noticed this being here at all, and I think I learned the most period.
Speaker 1: I was about to say, you're the person that's always said like you've learned the most from this show. Well, I thank you for joining the Fray, because you know, back then you were a guest but not to digress, let me pull it back. Yes, la Yah, I absolutely twelve thousand appreciate the work that you've done. You teach me everything from communication how to treat you as a person. We definitely had our rifts and our TIFs, and that hurt my feelings when you said that I didn't realize something out of line, and yeah, there's a lot on the editing floor, thank god, and I appreciate that.
Speaker 10: I ask, how do you know when it's over? You know what I'm saying, Like we talked about a little bit last night. How do you know when it's time to end the thing?
Speaker 1: You know? It's just I think in twenty twenty four is when okay, So what I realized about me was working was my numb thing. That was my avoidance, avoidance, And you only truly feel shit when you get to sit alone in silence and really you know understand it. So you know, kind of when the first business entity before this okay came to light was having issues, I was on my defensive, joining, well, they don't know if they talking about whatever, and you know, I'm doing nineteen things a day and never never, whatever. And then when it all all to twenty twenty four was just aspiral after spiral after spiral to spiral to spiral, and so you know, both coaches therapists were basically like, sit with that, and how did it feel when the person told you like you were being unconsidered about da da da da da, or that you're not a good listener or you're not a good communicator or that sort of thing, and you know, and I had to sit with it, and I don't know. I think what I did in twenty twenty four was pretty much I started to I did less numbing things and found my humanity or learn how to feel. And that's when And I joked yesterday.
Speaker 11: Like real boy, I'm a real boy.
Speaker 1: But that's the truth. And I joke yesterday at dinner and I was like, yo, the thing that scares me the most was like, I didn't know how much I like sleeping.
Speaker 5: It's so good. I don't know which one is better, sleeping or eating.
Speaker 4: But if you're sleeping, you don't have to eating again anyway, I think it's sleeping.
Speaker 1: I'd rather sleep, which you know, and I feel like even that's a part of the process of not being hyper aware of like, oh, I should be learning ten songs right now for the for the next DJ gig, I do seven months from now, or let me play on the roots picnic da let me And I was that eight month ahead, two year ahead person instead of being present. And I hate the fact. I hate the fact that, like twenty sixteen, the administration that we're dealing with now, especially right now, Yeah, has literally taught me how to live in the present. Like unfortunately, I said, like I want to learn how to live in the present. So it's almost like me putting out to the universe. Hey, okay, that's exactly what happened.
Speaker 5: So now that's all we can do.
Speaker 1: We're literally now like twenty four hours a day. I have to go through the same affirmation process this morning, got up at eight o'clock in the morning, had to do literally living and pressing every day. So I mean that's yeah.
Speaker 10: Man, And it's and it's you know, and this, and I mean I hope people like when they listen to this, I hope they take away you know, I'm so thankful that we had a chance to bring this to the world and like bring joy to so many people. And you know, they enjoyed the show and everything. But we are literally figuring this shit out on the fly, you know what I mean, Like even with you know, you said like it like you had the radio experience, but coming into this, it's like it's a totally different thing. I mean a lot of it does apply, but it's still just a different landscape and not even.
Speaker 5: Used to people wanting to hear you talk for more than two minutes, right.
Speaker 10: Right, yeah, because radio is you know, so yeah, and so it's a big difference. And you know, I think, you know, and listening to your story, you know, I kind of saw a lot of things just kind of from the back, you know, just watching how you navigate and you know, navigating just doing directing and falling and all of this. And I think it was one of the biggest lessons I learned was just kind of seeing the difference between management versus leadership.
Speaker 1: And when you talk about leadership.
Speaker 10: Management is just kind of just kind of cattle call you just kind of just you know, a task master. But leadership speaks more to people's personal development, and that's where the personal relationships come in. Like if I know that Bill likes this, or I think I was like, hey man, I think you'll be good in this role.
Speaker 11: Let me get you over here and speak to that.
Speaker 10: But you really have to have those conversations with your people in order to know that. And you know, that was one of the biggest things I saw and just kind of y'all's I guess, you know if you say from mom and pop to Amazon, that was one of the things you kind of you kind of got to have as a leader. And you talk about being a reluctant leader. I get it, you know what I'm saying. It's certainly things that I've struggled with, certainly, things that I you know, I just want to make music and just you know, you just want to do the thing, but there's doing the thing. But then you got to be the guy, like you said, like Ron McDonald versus Ray Kroc. It's like, yo, I just want to cook burgers, dog That's all I love to do. But now I gotta go be the guy to sell the burgers.
Speaker 11: You know what I mean?
Speaker 10: And uh yeah, And it just gets to a point which is like, yeah, I'm tired of that ship.
Speaker 1: I just want to make burgers. Let's let me also, uh let's let's give gratitude to the team that also helps us. You run things goes without saying uh, you know with Brittany and cousin Jake, thank you very much for uh your your keeping the train patients and contributions and.
Speaker 11: Yeah, immaculate notes because.
Speaker 1: Listen, yes, come on. But also many animators who have made our animation for our I g all the countless of engineers who have edit uh sudes and whatnot, you too, Steve Camera, and even a shout out to iHeart thank you you know for for making this our home.
Speaker 4: And our producers like the old and new, from Scottie Riggs to Evan Yeah.
Speaker 1: Open Scotty, Let's go. Scotty still pages us.
Speaker 4: Yes, and you recall Scott was our only producer that you actually saw all the time and was on Mike.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Scott, it was yeah part of the Mike too, Yeah, Litle Chris Rock Yeah st yeah yeah.
Speaker 7: Also respond to text messages within seconds.
Speaker 13: Scott is a great If you are a woman who are texting Scott Riggs and he don't hit you back quick, he don't get out of there you don't like it, he would like your Instagram post immediately.
Speaker 5: Also, did you doing this?
Speaker 4: Can we just have a moment for the great studios that we've been in. I mean we started in the East Coast and we I mean from Reservoir, Oh my god, Reservoir Reservoir, Electric Lady Hints and Sunset initially our first l a trip. These were hand picked by Steve. There's a lot of new were hand picked, Like Steve was like, can we go here?
Speaker 5: Can we go there? We recorded in Capitol Records, the.
Speaker 1: Frank Sinatra Room, Sunset Sound, Yeah, Sunset, the Prince the Prince Beaver Room in Sunset Sound. Uh oh, where did they do the bad album? Where we went to Bubbles is uh nursery West Westlake?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I forgot about West west Lake Studio where they still had Michael Jackson's uh nursery for Bubbles and his uh his crib.
Speaker 4: And the few home recordings because I can only remember Jimmy jam Linda Perry.
Speaker 11: Perry was dope Quincy.
Speaker 5: Sorry, y'all.
Speaker 3: Shout out to No Brown and Brian Calhoun.
Speaker 10: Yeah, the unbothered Brian Calhoun.
Speaker 5: He missed his last episode.
Speaker 11: So unbothered.
Speaker 1: I didn't bother the right.
Speaker 11: Shout man.
Speaker 1: You know, we've been we've been rather diplomatic in terms of not letting family uh grievances or or business out there like that. So I will respectfully, no, I will respectfully give Boss Bill a shoutout absolutely because you know about him, I wouldn't be here, you know, I mean, yes, he's part of the you know, part of the foundation.
Speaker 3: Anyway, say you have self address stamp.
Speaker 1: Give you that number. I also learned that you know, it's a clean slate and when you hold strife in, yes, that's the important thing. That's the important thing. Like and I know we live now and I told you so. I never thought the tigers would eat my face time. I told you yeah. And redemption and you know is key, but you know.
Speaker 3: We'll do a reunion episode.
Speaker 1: Therapy.
Speaker 5: There you got through one fan question.
Speaker 4: I'm like, Abody asked something about what is elaborate on the statement witness protection jam and Lewis been super curious about that since it was said.
Speaker 1: When you say witness protection program, that was the name of the me bulou glasper like our yeah boom pitgeess like our our fake group name called the witness Protection program.
Speaker 3: But is there another question?
Speaker 5: What was it?
Speaker 4: What was a conversation for everybody just answered us? What was an interview that we did that was really hard for you to get through.
Speaker 10: Let me see, which I wouldn't say, Frankie Beverley, that wasn't hard to get through.
Speaker 11: It wasn't hard, you know what I mean.
Speaker 10: But it definitely that was another thing too that we learned. You learned patience, you know what I'm saying, because, like you said, with radio, it's like, just give me the quick thirty second sound bite. But you know with this one, you know, you really sitting with the masters and the elders, you know what I mean, and so you have to give them space to tell their story.
Speaker 11: They may remember some stuff they might not.
Speaker 1: It made.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was like, oh wow, it made us all more conscious in that way we were dealing with elders.
Speaker 5: Even when we dealt with Wayne.
Speaker 4: Shorter, like I noticed, everybody kind of figured out, okay, right, yeah.
Speaker 1: Let it breathe, Let it breathe. That part I didn't know about the game, like the selective memory part or the you know, just did.
Speaker 3: You forget what you were going to say?
Speaker 1: Just exactly.
Speaker 3: What about your one on ones? What was the most difficult one on one for you?
Speaker 1: They weren't difficult, actually, you know, I had a lot of Fear was my first one.
Speaker 3: Willow Falling by Yourself.
Speaker 5: Oh, yeah, that was the first one.
Speaker 1: See I don't I forgot about the Michelle Obama episode. Yeah, that really didn't count. Andre Steve Farrooon was great. I just the inside joke of met us never being in the same room, because of course, the story is that I went to Madison Square Garden to watch him drum in person finally, and I took a bunch of adult fruit shoes and.
Speaker 7: Can we can we talk about that night for one second? Yeah, because I was there and that was one of the craziest experiences as a musician I've ever seen my life. We were in your car thing and you were making charts of John Mayer tunes as we drove to Madison's Wear Garden and learning the song, learning the songs at the same time, and then you went on and just crushed it for what was supposed to be what like two songs, and he stayed played the whole set.
Speaker 1: I think, well, initially it was like the whole show, and I was like, there's no way I can learn all this. So he came up with the eleventh hour idea of just let me unplug the first nine songs and then Amere comes in and play the second half. And but the thing was, I took the adult fruit.
Speaker 7: Choose I remember way before started the show.
Speaker 1: I know, but I like calling adult fruits. Yes, that was when I was a newly micro dooser of mushrooms and so.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I took them. And then Piano's like and I was like, uh so not. I mean, I wasn't out of my mind, but I was definitely stimulated. And I don't know, you and John Mayer come.
Speaker 5: Through for each other, because this is a call back to root.
Speaker 4: You know, that's reach Picnic where him and Daved pel came in on the clinch for you because it was the end Angelo.
Speaker 1: That was that was a special day man, all of us.
Speaker 10: That was the first time we also around and the freestyle oh right yeo.
Speaker 1: Anyway we talked about that.
Speaker 4: Okay, I got a question for everybody to Okay, who do you wish we would have just got on before we ended this thing.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna start it. God damn Anderson Pack and I wanted him so bad. I wanted I wanted.
Speaker 1: I hate to tell you this, boy.
Speaker 5: What would you do? What did you do. You did a show? What did you do?
Speaker 1: No? I finally connected with Debbie Allen.
Speaker 5: Mother motherfucker?
Speaker 1: No I met her? How did I meet her?
Speaker 5: My other person?
Speaker 1: By the way, I randomly.
Speaker 11: Saw oh boy, uh nom Nixon.
Speaker 1: It's not Quest Left Supreme episode unless I do twenty five thousand dollars Pyramids. Uh director twet beef with Dame Dash director.
Speaker 4: Oh Lee Daniels, Thank you twenty five thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: No. I saw him at the was it the Denzel Fellow joined? Okay, I saw him. She was just plus one.
Speaker 5: Oh that's cute.
Speaker 1: And I thought I was introducing myself and she's like, child, I know you are, And I was like.
Speaker 4: Ah, I didn't send her like three.
Speaker 10: So yeah, yeah, we didn't get Latifa. I really I really wanted to get Latifa. Angela Wimbush was another one that I really really Yeah.
Speaker 11: Man, I I want to talk to man.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 11: So Yeahea Wimbush was that.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, didn't even tell you about the five funeral, all right. The thing is it's like a funeral. I don't think one should hold the same standards of performance excellence.
Speaker 10: Yeah, as you're bandaging emotions, you're holding right, and the thing was I was just sold last minute, like, Yo, can you play Angel real quick?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we can play it? So F five Suneral. It was at the Apollo, and I guess the default band was Me di'angelo, James Poyser the rest of the roots, I guess. So we did some ship with d it came off, we did another song. I forget what it was, and then someone yelled like angel Win wants to do Angel. These always like the King of I won't say what would be modern liquor house classics, like things that only like you know, flirt by cameo or like your uncle plays in the cassette. No, so he played it with her, But I mean it's always the moment where a singer is singing, especially without rehearsal. The one thing I'm trying to control is to keep them from turning back. Mm hmm. You never want that. And oh god, she got me at at like like and then like he's not playing it right, you missed a hit?
Speaker 4: Oh wow, yeah, like my song is my song and I mean y'all supposed to be the best that ever done it.
Speaker 1: Yeah that I immediately left after that because.
Speaker 11: That was a third Uh Stevie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh yeah, people did that Cartney.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we got close. We got really close, really close.
Speaker 1: We did.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we did, we did. We did years ago.
Speaker 1: His name is Wow.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's what's just like we got close with Grace Jones.
Speaker 11: I mean she's you know, yeah, she.
Speaker 5: Was like, as long if you want ever come to London, you live in London. In Paris, they were like, if.
Speaker 1: You ever come pull up?
Speaker 5: All right, so what about y'all give all y'all people?
Speaker 7: And you're thinking, I don't know.
Speaker 5: We didn't do Sesame Street.
Speaker 1: Were we actually supposed to interview the Muppets as themselves?
Speaker 7: That was floated at some point, Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: Do you think that would have came off?
Speaker 3: Maybe?
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 1: So my experience of doing that show was that when they would yell cut, they would still talk in that muppet voice for like a long timen't really end ever. Yeah, And even when I and even when I talked to them, they talking that character voice and I was like, wait the cameras to stop all why are you're still talking to me? Grover?
Speaker 7: You had a whole Grover bit that was That was a good day.
Speaker 1: You know, they showed I went to the Nets game on Sunday, and they chose that as they're a bit you know, like who's sitting in the audience they went to that it was a rather a random choice.
Speaker 4: But oh wait, I'm sorry. Somebody asks a really good question for Bill. Can I ask this real quick? It says Bill on video, you're a really active listener, even when you weren't asking questions or talking much. Can you speak about knowing when to jump in as a personality as opposed to when others drive a discussion?
Speaker 1: Thanks a lot.
Speaker 7: Basically, I think one of the greatest lessons I've learned being on the show is when to shut the fuck up. And I think that that's a very important listen that anyone should know. And I say that because I feel like my touchstones of race and culture and life and everything have sort of moved around a lot since I've been a part of this, and I think that I've learned so much just by sitting near you guys and listening to you talk, and like, you know, I I'd like to say that growing up as a white kid on Long Island, you don't really get the sort of like house of Prayers and all the fucking nonsense and so and so it's been. I think years from now, if I look back on this, it will be it's. First of all, it's one of my favorite things to talk about. And I have a lot of crazy things in my life, but this is definitely one of the top two. And so I think years from now, I'll look back and just be like, that was the fucking craziest shit ever, Like just for all those who may or may not remember. Like Amir Lynn called me and said the Roots are going to produce the Hamilton.
Speaker 1: Record with you.
Speaker 7: I was like, great, that's a thing, Okay. I was terrified. And then you walked in and then I said Sesame Street and you said holy shit. And then you called me on a Tuesday and you said, hey, what are you doing tomorrow? And I said, I don't know what am I doing tomorrow? And you said you want to be the first guest on my podcast and I said, oh, clearly someone canceled.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 7: Yeah, sure, I'm totally And then my life's been so fucking weird ever since that day. And then and then you remember that it went on for like six hours. I thought I was gonna be there for like twenty minutes and then and then, and then he called me the week after he goes, listen, we can't pay you anything, just but just keep showing up. And I was like, okay, and I've just kept showing up. And that's my entire that's that's here we are. That that was ten years ago, years.
Speaker 10: Ago, even working with you man, I was I had a new respect for musicals because I never what else.
Speaker 1: Have y'all done together? Oh?
Speaker 11: We should have Ganglo assessed me? So we did.
Speaker 10: I was hiking boot in a rap battle, That's right. Yeah, I was in the Almo rap bats.
Speaker 11: I was a hiking boot. And then there was another.
Speaker 1: Muppet, your boye nice I was.
Speaker 11: I was a hiking boot.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 11: I was a rapping banana. I've been.
Speaker 1: I was the banana. Like what do you say?
Speaker 11: It was?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 11: What was what was my banana?
Speaker 1: Which is use?
Speaker 10: Because I was like my whole thing. I was like I wanted it. It was like a Gzy tribute. So I was like, wouldn't be funny if it was like a trapping banana? So he was, God, what was my what was my bars?
Speaker 1: Having that live? Oh yeah?
Speaker 11: Oh yeah yeah, like it was.
Speaker 1: I was doing the old Jesus thing. Yeah shouts and jeezu.
Speaker 11: It was funny. But yeah, man, so done.
Speaker 1: We did that and stay tuned.
Speaker 7: There's an original.
Speaker 1: It'll be out by the time.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: It was out front to wrote a song for Sissa that's on Test Me Street Study fucking kill.
Speaker 1: Yeah man shout shouts My production partner zold Man. That joint was. That joint was crazy.
Speaker 11: That was another call so kind of like how you got on this show.
Speaker 10: I get a call from Bill Sherman or text It's like, hey, man, so if I needed a Sissor song in twenty four hours, you think you was so y'all can pull that off. Like I said, it's the only one way to find out, like, send me what you got. And he sent me like a little script, like a little you know, kind of blurb whatever. And we turned around and you know, normally a lot of that stuff. Man, you don't know if it's gonna go. I'm like, I think this will work. It feels good to us, but you know who knows and her people. She came back and she was like your best song ever, like we you know, she loved it. She did a great job. You know what I'm saying That joint was amazing man.
Speaker 4: So yes, okay, okay, one, one, Okay, this is I'm going to remix this question that you yes, the question as the Steve question, but go ahead.
Speaker 1: What is the future of Sesame Street?
Speaker 7: We'll always start shooting in two weeks season fifty six. So even though there was some shake up amongst the corporate business, I think they don't have a distribution partner quite yet, but we are making new episodes in a couple of weeks. Okay, so you're moving on Faith Faith, Faith Newman, We're moving on there you.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, about that. I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: Okay, Steve, I know you didn't want the direct question, but I do want to know how to answer it. Is somebody asked, was The Roots the first hip hop act you ever worked with as an engineer? The question is who was the first person that you ever worked as an engineer? And can you speak to what made you and a mirror click? Because this relationship started whatsoever? And now it is twenty five years later?
Speaker 1: Bacon, thirty thirty years later?
Speaker 14: Excuse me, Bacon, I'll answer the second part first, would.
Speaker 3: I'm probably not going to answer the first part because.
Speaker 1: You don't know your first client.
Speaker 14: Was it's irrelevant to what we're talking about, but you know, it led to a better question. Well, I was randomly assigned as an assistant engineer to the Voodoo record after the first two or three assistant engineers.
Speaker 1: To fail out.
Speaker 14: And as far as what we bonded over, I think I've always pointed to the fact that we were both bringing different things to the table with regards to musical tastes, but there were there was some crossover, and I always point to pet Sounds as the crossover thing that we both kind of obsessed over for a long time, and and just everything since. You know, I think maybe out of all of us, because of the length of time that I've been working with him, have learned the most with regards to music that I didn't know about it before I met him. I had some I have the same experience with black music essentially that Amir had with white music, which was we heard what was on the radio, which was kind of the most mediocre stuff, you know when it comes down to it, So we all we kind of share that love for I guess kitchen poppy stuff from the eighties.
Speaker 10: As evidenced by your wonderful rendition of is this the end? You have to have that as a standalone. I feel like to release that. So yeah, you have just put it on soundclouds.
Speaker 1: Whatever.
Speaker 14: Well, my love for what you keep calling I guess black yat rock is you.
Speaker 5: Said white music. I'm like, that's just music. They just call that music these days. That's what they do black music.
Speaker 1: They music music.
Speaker 14: Yeah, and shout out to the Jeffrey Osborne episode while we were there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I learned a lot from that episode. All right, So before we wrap, is there an artist that you had a positive experience with that you didn't expect would be good not to be good? Okay, I will start by saying, and I still maintained if we had to put a top ten list of all time episodes, the way we laughed during the Family Stand episode.
Speaker 10: Damn, I forgot about that, my girl, and she was that I was on tour for that.
Speaker 5: That was a reservoir to family Family Stand.
Speaker 11: So it was that was Sondra Saint Victor was Peter Yeah, okay, wow.
Speaker 1: If there ever was a I don't mean I got you journalists episode, but it was almost like them as the interviewers were. You know, I was trying to be whatever, like the amount probably why we didn't get Miss Roon.
Speaker 5: That was one that she said yes years yes, her and Susan to pass.
Speaker 1: There was a lot of smoke for Oh okay, Atlantic Records.
Speaker 11: I gotta go back and listen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Electric Records.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I gotta go back and listen to that one.
Speaker 1: It's a master like compared to the Christmas episodes, which were always funny, say.
Speaker 7: The Christmas the Twelve Days of Fante, Like, do you remember the Christmas?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, early yeah, where I was like, next year, I gotta find my girl at work and do say we need some mope?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Right, So literally I'll say the family stand.
Speaker 5: Probably holds up, thanks Tyler.
Speaker 1: Next to uh, the Gina Christmas episode, as you know, where I laughed so hard that possibly added like a stomach although.
Speaker 4: A mirror I will counter that. And I'm sorry, Fante, this is another one you missed. But I feel like we died laughing in this room, small room. Johnny Gill was busting section sections, busting sessions.
Speaker 5: Well this is not gonna sound right, but luth the vand draws. Let me just stop.
Speaker 1: Uh they been playing the dozen.
Speaker 5: You That's what I'm I go home.
Speaker 1: Yes, I got you.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 14: I don't remember what the what the question is, but I want to bring up some of the.
Speaker 1: Well what guests surprised you? I didn't expect the family staying episode.
Speaker 3: The politicians that we interviewed.
Speaker 14: Clinton was awesome in Atlanta and a lot of the journalists definitely.
Speaker 10: Him exchanged gamer doing PS five Ah, but we exchanged gaming.
Speaker 4: I got to bring up a guests that I know made y'all feel kind of crazy, but I found it were her, so well, May she forever rest in peace, Ali Willis.
Speaker 5: Oh, Yeah, cause she.
Speaker 4: I mean the fact that she invited me over her house multiple times and we just key keyed and she gave me a tour of all of that black kitch.
Speaker 3: She's got a bobblehead of you now in the might.
Speaker 4: Be over there smoking out of watermelon papers and drinking cold for that five.
Speaker 1: The fact that we found out that she was part of just come running to me right right, yeah, by accident. That that was crazy. Is there any other guests that like Steve Miller and Miller him inventing the in ere Yeah, and using FM radio McDonalds.
Speaker 4: Michael McDonald's ferguson South Saint Louis. Yes, Michael McDonald was pretty awesome, and so was Hooty.
Speaker 1: Darius.
Speaker 5: Hoody really was greater than I would have thought he would have been.
Speaker 1: So what what I'll say to our listeners is and the prime reason and much of the cagrene of the publicists that would have their guests or like, our show was always a retrospect of a career and a journey less about not just the album, which is why I feel as though these episodes will still be timeless because its history in the future.
Speaker 5: And I know he was loud, but y'all, Billy Porter change life. I don't care.
Speaker 1: He told you.
Speaker 14: Yes, speaking of people listening to these episodes into the future, which I assume they're all going to be available, I just want to point to our wiki page, which was recently updated and nice and made nice with the help of Jake by a friend doth your cousin Jake, and Dorothy Howard who's Dorothy out wikipedian who's helped out greatly with the page. So all the shows are listed now and eventually they'll be links that will take you directly from from the wiki page.
Speaker 1: And I'm gonna reach out to you for that, we're getting the treatment, all right, So let me let me just say this, so, Steve, I want to thank you for really planting the seed that this could be done. Because as much as we joked back in two thousand and two thousand and one, two thousand and two, listen to studio rats and all your little side projects and whatever. It's one thing to talk about it, but you're definitely a person who quietly will push me to do something that I didn't think was possible. And sometimes you know when to push me. A great example in game. We'll talk about that later, but still in game. Yes, there's still at the end. Yeah, yeah, no, it's it's real and the guys leading the charge. Yes, in ways that I never imagined.
Speaker 5: Black thought episode one of the greatest of all.
Speaker 1: But I will say, Steve, thank you for being the person that pushes me to do things. Fante. You are the heart of this show and thank you. I think keeping it Real has been so overused that it's almost doesn't mean much anymore. But you know, I think everyone will universally agree that all the episodes that you're on that you provided.
Speaker 4: I'm thinking about all the times when you were look at me for gotcha questions and Fante would ask them.
Speaker 1: Episode is one of the great episode.
Speaker 7: Music that kid open that door, right though, Oh.
Speaker 10: My god, yeah yeah, fun times tis.
Speaker 1: Like Fante would boldy go where no question will.
Speaker 14: Your publicist told us that you don't want to talk about your relationships, So what's going on with reship?
Speaker 1: Hey, shoot a shoot, there you go. She was gonna shoot. Yeah, you're the stowaway of the crew and you you know, you wrote with us, but thank you for consistently riding with us, and you know you definitely come through the clutch also with like your fandom and your fascination for guests that have come on the show.
Speaker 5: And thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I totally forgot he was. There's a lot of episodes I forgot about. Thank you people, and also you know, like help make my dream come true because I was. You made fun of the fact that I still actively watched Sesame Street long after me.
Speaker 3: It is for children.
Speaker 1: Long after.
Speaker 8: All.
Speaker 1: Right, right, you got it, And like, yes, you hold all of our feet to the fire and and our toes. I don't even want to go after that, And everything I said I absolutely meant. I love you all dearly, and I think love you, to love you, to yes, I love you. That's all the reasons be here. Thank you man, you know we really we appreciate this seriously.
Speaker 5: Thank you and your evolution. Look at you all grown up now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm going and scared to death to be growing love on behalf of the entire staff that brings this to you, Uh, Brittany and Jake, all everyone behind Manart and Bryan and Sean and everyone that you mentioned, everyone who films our show, you who watched the show. Brittany, thank you very much, all the.
Speaker 4: Record reps, all the publicists that repeatedly came back.
Speaker 5: I just want to shout them out to Yeah.
Speaker 10: Yeah, shouts to Nicole and rap a big pool. Yeah, little brother we ever have a little brother and for an exchange on the show, and get your.
Speaker 1: Tickets to the Little Brothers last year. All right? Any projects coming up, Bill, Steve.
Speaker 11: Fuck it?
Speaker 7: Raising kids?
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, we got t shirts coming out.
Speaker 1: That's important.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 1: Listen the way we came and y'all let's do it.
Speaker 9: Supreme Up, up, up, Supremo, roll, Supremo, Supremo, suprema, supremo role.
Speaker 5: It's like you and I believe it's time. Yeah for me to go, Yeah, for me to ride.
Speaker 9: Whareema su su supremo role suprema.
Speaker 7: No, I'm unpaid bill. Yeah it was episode one. Yeah, but I'm still here. Yeah, and now we're done.
Speaker 9: Up breva sup s subscreen roll suprema shut suppree My role.
Speaker 3: My name was Sugar.
Speaker 14: Yeah, big announcement to make. Yeah, I'm starting my own show. Yeah where I just get paked.
Speaker 9: Noma su su Suprema roll call Suprema, shut Suprema.
Speaker 11: My name is Fante. Yeah, y'all all my friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 11: By time on, this show has come to an e.
Speaker 1: Roll apprima s sprea. Thank you to the people. That's a great place to start and I love you all in the bottom of my iHeart.
Speaker 9: Up Bravo, Roll up, Bravo, sup sup up pre roll suprema.
Speaker 1: Thank you people, You're bye. Hey, what's up y'all? It's Quest left here And finally, after hearing that finale part two episodes, I want to thank you all so much. I see how much you guys have loved and supported the shows throughout the year, especially all the socials, and you've showed up for Quest Love Supreme time and time again. That's Steve's phone. What's up, Steve? It's good anyway. Basically, you know, this is the one time that I can freely speak for Maya Fonte on Playbill and Sugar. Can I speak for you all right? Well, anyway, I'm speaking for true. We want to thank you all for making QLL as possible these past ten seasons. And if you've been rocking with Quest Love Supreme since the beginning, or even if you just pulled up yesterday, you know it's been a labor of love, and it's been a space for music nerds, cultural heads, and curious minds to get deep into the stories behind the sound. And over the years, ah Man conversations, we've had too many to mention, but so legendary.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: We've had laughs and tangents and rabbit holes and deep dives and all those good things. But you know, here's the thing. The greatest grooves always need to evolve. We know that, and we are pivoting. So Quest Love Supreme has reached its finale, but don't you worry. We're gonna develop something fresh and different in the future. You'll soon know something a little different, something that still fees the soul, but with just a new flavor to it. And I want to be clear, this is not entirely goodbye. We're just turning the page and figuring out what the next chapter of this podcast is going to be. And uh, it'll come soon, and I promise it's gonna be worth the wait. It's gonna happen right here. So stay tuned, stay curious, stay supreme. All right, thank you, Love you guys, You're still gonna pass. Thank you for listening to Quest Love Supreme. Hosted by Amir quest Love Thompson, Why You, Saint Claire Fonte, Coleman, Sugar, Steve Mandell, and unpaid Bill Sherman. Executive producers are Mara quest Love, Thompson, Sean g and Brian Calhoun. Produced by Britney, Benjamin Cousin, Jake Payne, Eliah Saint Clair. Edited by Alex Convoy. Produced by iHeart by Noel Brown. Questlove Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.