Speaker 1: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome back to the Bop Left Sets podcast. My guest today is Vince Guilt, was putting out monthly EPs to celebrate his fifty years in the music business. Vince, how good a golfer are you?
Speaker 2: Well? I might have tried to play tour golf if I hadn't been a decent guitar player. But I was a little bit better guitar player than I was a putter, so I made the right decision.
Speaker 1: Well, how much do you play now? I play all the time.
Speaker 2: I've played my whole life since I was a little kid, and played all through school and on the school teams and stuff. And I just had so much more interest, I think, in music than I ever did in sports or any of that stuff. So I chose a path of being a hillbilly singer.
Speaker 1: Okay, but how did you get into golf to begin with?
Speaker 2: I guess I watched my old man take off on the weekends, you know, and go play play weekend golf with his buddies, and he couldn't break a hundred with a gun to his head. And he took me out when I was probably first, second, third grade, and we played nine holes in a little golf course in some for an area of Oklahoma where the greens weren't even made out of green of grass, they were made out of cottonseed holes. And it was it was pasture pool at its finest. And it stuck. And I've played my whole life, okay, but so literally, how much do you play now? I'll play a couple of times a week, you know, usually last year was a lean year.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: You belonged to a club, so you can get out several that's by old guitars and club and country club memberships. That's my advice.
Speaker 1: How do you decide which course to play, which one I like, which one is not going to be the most crowded, you know, generally is where you turn up? And have you done any golf tourism like going to Scotland to play.
Speaker 2: I've never played any golf over there, and I'm dying too. Every time I went over to Europe, it was always for music and it kind of took it, took center stage, and all my spare time would be doing interviews or getting wherever you were going, and I didn't have time to play. But I'm gonna go over there someday on a just a golf trip with somebody's.
Speaker 1: And you lived through the revolution from blades to perimeter, waiting on the all of this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can go in my garage and track back the last sixty five years of golf technology, and it's you know, it's amazing what they can do now. The old guys, you say, you have to dig it out of the dirt, you just have to figure it out by beating balls and stuff. But now, with the technology, then they can help you a whole lot more than they ever could when we were young.
Speaker 1: Now, when he passed, it came out that you were friends with Arnold Palmer. How do you become friends with Arnold Palmer?
Speaker 2: I don't know, It's just my good fortune. You know, I played with him times. One of my favorite stories is I was playing golf with Arnold in a pro am and we played several times together before. And you know, when you're playing with somebody like that, it's it's pretty it's pretty nerve wracking. But anyway, we had played all day long, and neither one of us had said one word about what we were shooting. You know, we just played and but I knew that he was four under par, and I think he knew that I was four under par playing the last hole, and we're playing this last hole.
Speaker 1: It's part for it.
Speaker 2: I hit my ball up there about fifteen twenty feet from the hole, and he hit his up there about twelve fifteen feet and I hit my putt and missed. He looked at me and marked his ball, knocked his end and went, I got you. I said, okay, my favorite beating I ever took.
Speaker 1: Okay. What most people don't know is the pros play a totally different game. The way they worked the ball, et cetera. What can you tell us about that?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, they a lot of those A lot of those guys told me that they thought I had enough talent to play professionally if I'd have applied to golf what I applied to music.
Speaker 1: But I didn't.
Speaker 2: I didn't apply to golf what I did to music. And so that was always a pretty neat thing to have happen, is to play with one of your heroes and play well. I got to play with Jack Nicholas one time, and it was the same kind of thing. We got to the last hole and he beat me by a couple of shots. But just to get to hang with him and occasionally get one of them. Is the best feeling in the world.
Speaker 1: So who else in the music world is a scratch golfer a good golfer.
Speaker 2: God, there's plenty of guys that play well.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Glenn Campbell was a great golfer, you know, back in the day. And Alice Cooper played a lot of golf. And you know this, when when I found out his real name was Vince and that he played golf, I was a huge Alice Cooper fan, you know, And and funny thing, you know, all these years later, not too long ago, I got to play guitar on an Alice Cooper record. That was thrill of a lifetime because I played a lot of his songs in my garage bands as a kid. And we have a nice friendship. And it's amazing how many friends I have that are musical, people that are musical, but because we both share the love of golf, that's where I found myself. Meeting them was more centered around a golf event or a tournament or what have you.
Speaker 1: Well, at this point in time, are most of your friends in the music world or do you have friends you grew up with their friends from country club.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I kind of got a little bit of both. You know, I'm a little bit of a chameleon in that. You know, I have a gaggle of friends that play golf. I had a gaggle of friends for a long time that played basketball. I had a gaggle of friends at all played guitar. I got guitar nerd buddies and we go shopping try to find old guitars. And you know, I never met a stranger, and pretty easy to know and pretty easy to like, I think hopefully. And so I've kind of gone through life just being open and willing to just about anything or anybody.
Speaker 1: Well, are you like Jerry McGuire, where if you're sitting home alone looking at the four walls, you got to make contact, You got to get together with somebody. Or are you more introspective if you're you're good when people are around. But do you need to be around people?
Speaker 2: Not necessarily? You know, Amy, my wife, Amy and I are both generally okay with being alone. You know, I'm comfortable in my own skin, and so is she. And we have to divide and conquer a lot of times, and she'll go to her and I'll go to her and we'll both travel and be gone. And it works great, you know, because she's totally okay with with being the only one in the room, and so am I.
Speaker 1: So what do you do when you're the only person in the room.
Speaker 2: I'm a surfer, A channel surf, a channel surf. I'll play the guitar. Now with these damn telephones, you know, you'll sit there and scroll, and I'm finding a lot of really neat music, you know, just by scrolling different things. I found a kid not too long ago. I don't know if you're familiar with this name, Lamont Landers.
Speaker 1: Have you heard of him? No? I haven't.
Speaker 2: And it's funny because I found him and he he's a kind of a soul singer, you know, throw back to an old soul singer. And he's just really redheaded, white kid from Alabama and he sounds just like Al Green when he sings. And I'm just kind of it doesn't make sense, you know. You look at this dude and then this voice comes out of him and he can't believe that it's real, but it is. And I tracked him down. I was such a fan. I asked him to come and sing on one of my songs on the next record that's coming out in May next EP and he brought his mom with him and he said, well, when I was little, my mom brought me to one of your concerts, and you were one of the first concerts I ever saw. So I made a new friend. And I love that, you know. I love discovering young people that are talented. And you know, when I was the young kid, you know, I had so many examples of my heroes and the people I looked up to reaching out to me and being kind to me and being uh supportive of me and inclusive of me, and all those things made an impact, you know, And I try to do it to the kids that are coming along. If I see somebody I think's great, and I'm I'm gonna be a big champion for him, route him on and no, it feels like the only way to be.
Speaker 1: Do you remember exactly how you found about just.
Speaker 2: Traveling, I mean not traveling, but just traveling on the on the phone, and and he'd like, he'd say, he'd do something like you see him posts to go. Okay, imagine if Sweet Home, Alabama was old soul and he turned it and oh yeah, I've seen this yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, and they they did. He played uh he played the Apollo Theater not long ago and just killed the crowd. They went nuts for this kid, you know, And and he comes out with his red hair and everybody's going what and the hell is going on? And then he started singing and everybody was all about it and standing up and cheering him on. And I just think he's, you know, really talented.
Speaker 1: So when you're on the phone, you know, there's many different platforms. Do you go on Instagram, Wheels and TikTok?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not a TikTok guy, but I'll get on Instagram and Facebook. And it's hard now there's so many things on there that are's such fabrication, you know, whether it's me and I'm you know, I have stage four cancer, I do this, blah blah, and you see all this stuff.
Speaker 1: It's just so so.
Speaker 2: Silly and and all that. But you kind of got to wade through that, and you never know what you're gonna find. What's going to be the next little thing that pops up. And I know that when you stop on something, then it starts giving you more and more and more of that that same thing that you stopped and and looked at. But it to me, it's kind of it's a modern day television.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: You get on there and you look around and you find guitar players that you think are great, or you find a singer you think is great, or songwriter you think is great. And I've discovered quite a few people. You know, it's kind of fun to kind of be in the loop on some of these young people that people are crazy about.
Speaker 1: What do you think about people I'm your contemporary. What do you think about people our age who are so social media averse, who hate these platforms.
Speaker 2: Well, here's the funny thing. I've never sent a text, So I am not really you know, gen z or whatever you want to call it, an hip on all the on all this technology. I don't know how to run it. I don't know how to get on it. My buddy Matt here takes care of the studio. He has to come solve all my problems when the phone doesn't work and I can't fix any of it.
Speaker 1: But I don't care.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm not a I'm not the kind of guy that projects what I think other people should should do. You know, if you want to sit on your phone all day and text and stay stay connected. And I'm not going to post what I had for lunch. I'm not gonna you know what I mean. And and so I remember years ago I met a young girl at at a restaurant and she said, you're Vince Gill, aren't you. And I said yeah. She goes, you mind if we get a picture? And I said, no problem. And we took the picture and she said we have a mutual friend. And I said, oh, who's that. She told me, oh, yeah, I know who you're talking about. She goes, you can text him that picture if you want. I said, I don't text. And she said, well, I can show you how. I said, well, it's not a matter of knowing how, it's a matter of desire. I don't want to, you know. So I people, all my friends know that if they text me, I'm going to call them back, you know. I like the I like that personal connection of a voice, maybe more so than I do the written word. And hard to kind of convey certain things in in a text or written word. That if you're talking to somebody and you hear the sense of humor, you hear whatever, it's easier to to text whatever the hell they are saying.
Speaker 1: And so I'm.
Speaker 2: I'm not not all about it, but I don't you know, I don't give a rip if somebody wants to live their life on that phone.
Speaker 1: But you have kids, A lot of kids not only won't talk on the phone, they won't let you leave a voicemail, exactly right.
Speaker 2: And I remember I caught our kids one night texting each other at the dinner table.
Speaker 1: I said, this is pretty weird.
Speaker 2: And they all know that if they want to talk to me, they have to call me. No, I'm not going to respond to a text instead a text.
Speaker 1: And what about the reverse? If you want to get a hold of them, I call them and they'll pick up. They either have to pick up or they don't have to talk to me. It works works great either way. Okay, so you're surfing on your phone and you find something good used to be there was a threshold someone had a deal with the record labeled someone should not. Now they're all these acts, you know. Sometimes I'm listening, like to these stations on serious There's one called XMU. It's a college rock station, and I say, this is great, and then I say, am I the only person who ever heard this, it could be so you get exposed to all these things. What is it that twriggers you to reach out and try to help?
Speaker 2: Well, I think just if it connects to me. You know, I've always been a responder of music. You know, I love what music makes me feel. I really have always been drawn to the melancholy side of music. I like sad songs. I like great singers, I like great musicians. You know, when I was young, I didn't really set out to be an artist, you know, I set out to be a guitar player, and I set out to be one of those guys that got called to play on people's records and be a session guy. And that's what I did in those early years when I was trying to figure it out and get to the next place, whatever was in store for me. And so over my life of these past fifty plus years, I've worked on over a thousand artists records, as a background singer, as a guitar player, as a producer, as a songwriter, in whatever shape or form, you know. And I just was always drawn to wanting to be in the band, just wanting to be a part of it. I didn't have to be the focal point. And with that, you know, I just tried to become a good server of songs of sorts, you know. In that what I wanted to do when I came into a situation was to make the record that you'd made. If I was going to sing on it or play on it, I wanted to make it better, you know. And I've always been kind of pushed to be to make something great, not perfect. You know, a lot of people sometimes if you're all up in the weeds with minutia and all this stuff, they think you're a perfectionist. And I'm not a perfectionist. I'm a realist and I just want it to be great. That's all I'm trying to accomplish.
Speaker 1: Okay, tell me more about liking melancholy songs. I don't know. They stir more emotion up in me. You know.
Speaker 2: My father used to sing a song to me when I was a little boy, and it always made me cry. Every time he sang it didn't make me cry. It's called Old Shep if you've never heard, it's an old folk song. It's about a boy and his dog and they grow up together. They're best friends. The dog saves him from drowning dog saves him from all kinds of peril. And at the end of the dog, at the end of the song, the dog grows old and the guy has to shoot his beloved animal. And it's the most soul crushing song you've ever heard in your life. And my dad would sing this to me when I was a little boy, and I think probably more for meanness than anything else. But we'd be having you know, we'd be sitting down and playing and having jam sessions, and I'm loving life. I'm playing with my dad and he's you know, responsive to me and helping me learn a little bit. And he's finally he'd say it's time for you to go to bed. I said, man, can't we play one more song? He said no, I told you, Now do what I say. And I go to bed and I said, come on, Toddy's just one more song, and he starts singing. When I was a lad and old ship pup, I'd run to my room as fast as I could, you know, because I knew I was gonna cry. And I don't know what it is, but I think the emotion of music is what I respond to most. And I'm not I'm not impressed. As much as I am moved by music. That's what I'm going to the music for is to be moved and have it take me someplace.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I remember so many of the first records I ever got. Last year, I think it was years year and a half ago. I think it was when they had a memorial for Jimmy Buffett out in LA and the Eagles were going to back up Paul McCartney, you know, and I was in the band, and so I was singing the song for us to learn it at soundcheck and it was let it Be. And it dawned on me as I'm singing it, I said, this is the song that was playing the first time I ever had a slow dance with a girl.
Speaker 1: Wow, And it was so cool.
Speaker 2: And then we're getting ready to do the show and we're doing soundcheck and Paul's not there yet.
Speaker 1: So I tell the crew.
Speaker 2: They said, go ahead and sing it, and I go, okay, But if Paul comes, I don't want to be singing his song if he shows up, and so lo and behold. I told the crew, I said, tell me if he shows up, and I look over and I'm in the middle of singing let it be. And there he is sitting there with his arms folded, you know, and I'm going, oh, no, you know. And he comes over and he gives me this big hug and he said, man, I believe you sing that song better than I do. And I said, oh, no, that's not true. We know that's not true, but thank you. And I told him, I said, here's why this song is so special. I said, that's the song that played when I had my first slow dance with a girl. And he winked and he goes, well, I hope it worked out for you, and I said, no, I was in seventh grade, but it was still a pretty great moment in my life. And to look over there and see him playing the piano and singing that song is like, you couldn't you couldn't dream that up in a million years when you're that kid trying to learn songs, trying to figure out how to play a sea chord and the G chord and all that stuff. And so I am beyond blessed and beyond lucky and all those things. You know.
Speaker 1: I look at it with.
Speaker 2: A complete kind of unbelievable response to it all, not like I expected any of it. I don't know if i'd have done it, if I'd have known how it turned out, you know. I like just discovering what happened. I like finding out who was on the other end of a phone call. Remember years ago, I got a phone call and this was at a period of time where they were kind of they were kind of stopping playing my records on current country radio, and I knew I wasn't going to have hits anymore.
Speaker 1: So I'm kind of in this period.
Speaker 2: What I didn't know what was next in the phone rang and it was another Englishman that was Eric Clapton. He said, Vince, he said, I'm having it. He said, this is Eric Clapton. I'm going, yeah, sure it is. Who's yanking my chain? Who's branking me?
Speaker 1: You know? And he's laughed.
Speaker 2: He goes, no, it really is me. And he said I'm calling because I'm doing a guitar festival in Dallas. This has been twenty two years ago now something like that, And he said I want you to come. He said, I'm only inviting guitar players I like, And just hearing those words from him was like this validation and affirmation of a lifetime of trying to do it, you know, And what was beautiful was he saw me That's what I'd always intended to be, was just a musician. He saw me as a serious musician and invited me and I got to go to most all those crossroads guitar festivals and see and play with all my heroes.
Speaker 1: It's unbelievable. Let's stay with the melanchol you mentioned Clapton the second Queen album, Disraeli Gears second side opens with tales of brave Ulysses. There's a certain darkness. It's like I watch a lot of streaming television. You watch the British shows. They just have a dark, melancholic feel. And I don't know, maybe it's a cinematographer, but let me try to slice and dices a little bit. Hey, A lot of that when we were growing up was based in alienation. To what degreed do you find yourself as an alienated person?
Speaker 2: Probably not much, you know, I think you wind up having your tribe. You know, you have your people that tend to like the same things you do, like the same music you do. And even going back to I mean, I've five or six years ago I lost my oldest and best friend, a guy named Benny Garcia, who we met in the summer of sixth grade, and he was the first musician friend I ever made. We played in our first garage bands together and played our first school dances together, and he went on this journey with me throughout all my successful years and as a guitar tech. He was a great musician, but he chose the path of being a guitar tech for me. So I got to go do all of this stuff with my oldest friend by my side. It was the greatest gift I could have ever gotten, you know, And I think we were We were such great friends because we were both drawn to so much of the same stuff. And so I I feel like, you know, conversation, music, songs, all those things. You find your folks that are drawn to it too, and that's where you land.
Speaker 1: This is you know, the guy passed, And that's much more important than the question I'm gonna asked, but I got to ask it. Anyway, you hire your friend, how do you decide what to pay them?
Speaker 2: Well, what everybody else got, you know, I was I have a long history because I was a side man, because I was in a band, because of all of those things, I took care of my people. You know, in my heyday this is unheard of. But in my heyday of doing really well and playing arenas and selling out places, I had to deal with all my guys. I said, I'll have a bonus structure, a bonus system in place that if I do better, you will too. And it created loyalty, it created longevity. It just it did a great thing for everybody. Everybody felt like, hey, we're all in this together. If it goes better, I'm going to do better. I was never and that's the way I was treated. When I played with Rodney Rodney Crowell, I played guitar for him and played guitar for Roseanne Cash, and they took great care of the musicians. They were respectful of them.
Speaker 1: And I think.
Speaker 2: Nashville has probably always had a hard time doing that and that there wasn't that much money in it to begin with, so everybody had to go maybe as bare bones as they could. And oftentimes I would tell a musician, I said, this is what I'm making, this is all I have, but you're entitled to a fair portion of it. And so it just it was the way I experienced my career and my life as as working for somebody else. And it's the way that I lived my life as a session player. As a session singer, there was a union amount of money that was paid to you if you were a union hand, and so it just made sense, you know, to treat people better than you.
Speaker 1: Maybe you should, Okay, going back a couple of minutes, you talked about the period when the hits evaporated. How did you metabolize that? How did you handle it emotionally? Well, it was easy in that I knew it was coming. You know.
Speaker 2: I tell every kid that comes to town and starts hitting the lick and starts kind of getting fired up, I always tell them, I said, now listen to me, and listen good. I said, they quit playing Elvis Presley, and they'll quit playing you just be ready for it. And it's kind of been the truth. You know, nobody survived it their whole career. There's been a period of time where somebody caught fire and stayed on fire.
Speaker 1: For a pretty good while. And then it's the way it should be. You know.
Speaker 2: It has to evolve and the next generation has to take the mantle and go and do what they want to do and be who they want to be and write the songs they want to sing, and play like they want to play, and it's the way it should be. So it was never it was never much of an issue. And the other thing that was good was I had plenty of years of struggling trying to be an artist. You know, in the early eighties, I got a record deal and then tell people, so I couldn't really prove it because nobody had those records. But I stayed with it and hung in there, and then finally I started having some hits. So I had just about as many years of I wouldn't say failing, but struggling. That prepared me for the years of success. I would watch people react to their success and oftentimes go, I don't ever want to be like that. I don't ever want to respond like that. I don't ever want to say something like that. And so with that, I just kind of took the good with the bad and and let my ears lead me more than anything else. And I always felt like my ears have never lied to me. And if I go back and listen to those early records, I can go, yeah, I can see why they weren't successful. They weren't that great, and be honest enough with myself, be honest enough to know I'm probably writing better songs today than I did in my heyday when I was having a lot of success, you know. And it's just all in there. It all kind of you know, forms my opinion and forms my thought process into how I want to react.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's it's not easy to to react to struggling. It's easy to react to success.
Speaker 1: That's not hard.
Speaker 2: But I learned a whole lot more about struggling than I did by succeeding.
Speaker 1: Are you as even tempered as you come across or do you get angry and we just don't see it.
Speaker 2: I'm a hot head on the golf course, you know, And that was it was interesting. That's the reputation I've I've earned and deserve, you know, as a club breaker and a club thrower and really oh yeah, yeller and screamer and all that stuff. And it's my whole life was kind of that way. And I think it's all kind of comes from an insecurity kind of a place in that you want to show people you're better than what you just did, so insecurely you reach out and strike out and cost yourself beat the club into the ground whatever you do. And I was the same musically. If I wasn't doing it to a level that I wanted, I would get frustrated. So I do have a great temper. It's legendary. And I was playing golf with this guy one time who's a sports psychologist for a lot of tour players, and we're playing and we played a few holes, and so finally I looked at him and said, okay, Doc, I said, shoot me straight. What do you think? He started laughing. He goes, oh, yeah, you got a good reputation.
Speaker 1: He goes.
Speaker 2: All your buddies, all your tour player buddies, they all give you down the road about about getting mad and stuff. He said, But let me tell you. I'm going to tell you some stuff that you've probably never heard in your life before.
Speaker 1: He said.
Speaker 2: First of all, all those guys are way worse than you've ever been with getting mad and losing it and all that said, they have learned to control it because that's their job, that's their workplace, and it's detrimental to them if they don't, you know, act accordingly, he said, But you, he said, you're different. He said, first of all, the reason you're successfulcessful because you have that burn in you to be your best and do your best and have a expectation that it's at a very high level, he said.
Speaker 1: He said, then, think about what you do for a living. He said.
Speaker 2: You stand up in front of people, you play, you sing, and all you ever receive is adelation. He said, that's so abnormal. There's nothing more abnormal than that.
Speaker 1: He said.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to tell you, and probably only you, that I think is really healthy for you to beat yourself up. He said, if you need to go off in the woods, break a club and call yourself dirty names, go ahead and do it. So it's going to keep you level and amy. When we first met, she kind of had the same comment to me, which was kind of life changing. I don't get I don't get too uptight anymore. I'm sixty nine and I don't, you know, kind of lost the ability to care that much about what I shoot.
Speaker 1: And uh.
Speaker 2: We were playing one day and we weren't married yet, and I hit a shot and I was unhappy and I broke my three wood when I stuck it in the bag. She turned around and was shocked, and I said, man, I'm sorry. I get a little lamped up at this game. She goes, Oh, that doesn't surprise me. I said, what do you mean? She goes, well, she said, you know I'm crazy about you? And I go, yeah, vice versa, And she said, who laughs harder at chokes than you do? That's when stuff's funny. Who laughs harder at you? I said, nobody? I said, who loses it in front of the whole world? You're the town crier. I see you fall apart all the time, giving a speech or singing a song. She said, And now you've hit a golf shot and you're mad. She said, you can't control any of your emotions. How would you ever expect to be able to just control one? I went, nobody's ever said that to me. It was so beautiful and so profound, and it's kind of helped me let go of a lot of that. But yeah, I'm pretty easy going, you know. And then you know, if you don't have a temper, you're not probably ever going to accomplish much if you don't get a little worked up.
Speaker 1: Well, Amy has your number. But does that temper ever come out in everyday life? Not too much.
Speaker 2: We have the we have the sweetest relationship and it never never gets never gets weird. You know, it never gets you know, when we first got together, you know, we got getting ready to get into it about something, and I just said, hey, I said, before you say something, I said, just let's just take a minute and be still. She goes, what do you mean. I said, well, I know you're mad at me and I deserve it. Blah blah blah. You're going to say something that's going to trigger me, and then I'm going to say something. And I said, and you're not going to like what I'm going to say back. And and I said, why don't we just let a moment pass and we'll talk about this in a little bit. I've done all the about all the yelling and screaming I want to do in a relationship. And so it's kind of a pattern we got going, and we we don't square off much. We got a pretty pretty peaceful stretch. Have you ever been to therapy? No, even the therapist. We have a family therapist and all of our kids go to and and uh, she pulled me aside and she goes, I said, what about me? And she goes, You're fine, You're kind of a She says, you're kind of a you're the solid foundation for this whole bunch. She said, I see that in you, and she said.
Speaker 1: You're you're good.
Speaker 2: And I told her, I said, look, I don't I don't have any angst about the past. I don't want to try to fix my relationship with my father. I don't want to try to fix this. And that, I said. I'm just I'm kind of okay with being exactly who I am and uh, prey straight ahead. And so she told me I was good.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's go back to the anger. You said, you said two things. Want to focus on this. You said, I want to prove myself. What do we know? First, the average person has no idea how hard it is to make it. Talent is in most fifty percent, it's unbelievably hard. So when you get your chance, you want to deliver. Or you also might say, by luck, I'm here and I want to prove myself. How much of that is involved?
Speaker 2: Well, I think every time I sing a song, every time I play a song, I've never phoned it in. I've never nonchalantly just gone through the motions. I want to play and sing. Every time I play and sing. The best I've ever done it, you know, And that's I think because of the gift I've been given, that's what it deserves. And so you know, I'll sit here in the studio and play something good. I said, what could be better? I think it could be better. If I played two less notes, it might speak more. It might say more. And so away I go, you know, and I I I'm sure that there's a part of this that's an unrealistic expectation. But it has to get it has to get my full attention.
Speaker 1: I have to.
Speaker 2: I have to speak up on every single thing, because I find music a great place for democracy. In the studio with five, six, seven guys, you're all in there with the common goal of making a song great. You don't care who gets all the attention. You don't get here, who gets the to be the loudest, who gets to be noticed the most? And if you'll just serve the song, you'll serve each other and listen to each other and let everybody shine. That to me is what democracy was intended to mean. And I get to live that most of my life in this environment, and it's powerful, you know, because everybody's in it for the same reason. Serve that song, make the song the best it can be, Let the song shine, not yourself. And it's really it's a great experience together with people that.
Speaker 1: Are like minded and.
Speaker 2: Listen to each other and play well together. And it's so much fun to watch something turn up, to see something be born, you know, and then have a life that gets to live forever.
Speaker 1: Okay, you were talking about your goal was not perfection. Okay, you know music is not digital zeros in ones. It's organic or at least the kind of music we're talking about. Ay, do you know when it's magic? And is that what you're searching for? Let me just go a little bit deeper. You're playing with professionals in Nashville. They can nail it. Okay, you can say this is your song, But are you searching for that moment when the hair starts to go up on your arms? Well?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the great thing is is everybody can feel it, and everybody knows it, and everybody knows when it's finally got the the groove, the pocket, the field, everything.
Speaker 1: That that stirs up in emotion.
Speaker 2: You know, a lot of things that are just flat lined perfect are not emotional, you know, And so that's I think what everybody's trying to go trying to do is I want to play something. It inspires the piano play to play the next thing, And what the piano player plays inspires the other guitar player to play the next thing. And that's what you're kind of always going for. You know, don't ever take me out of the dance. Don't ever take my attention away from a great singer singing a great song.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: That's the point of it all is to serve that that that that process. And when somebody I heard somebody say, don't whatever you do, let the main thing be the main thing, stay out of the way.
Speaker 1: Okay. So let's assume you're recording in the studio and you have to your guitar player. You have to do with solo? Do you always make it up on the spot or do you think about it in advance.
Speaker 2: It's I would say, it's a combination of a lot of things. When I'm playing, what in my head is going on is how would I sing this? So I'm letting one thing that I can do inform another thing that I can do. So when I'm trying to play a solo, I go, okay, how would I phrase this? How would I sing this? And then when I'm singing, I asked myself, Okay, how would I play this? And each one informs the other. And once again, you're trying to say the most with the least. So if I play something and I like it, and I go, well, there's three too many notes in there. What if I pull those out and make those make that space, then all of a sudden leave room for something else. There's something someone else did. That's what I'm always doing guitar solos at the end of the process. So everybody's played all their parts and played fills and played pocket things and whatnot, and I dance around it, you know, and I'm trying to listen and let all those other things still do what they were intended to do. And we said it before, but if you'll, you know, stay out of the way and let everybody shine, then then it's a home run.
Speaker 1: Okay. You talked about the process, the democracy, etc. You know, Back in the old Mono days, everybody played it once. Certainly, by time we're hitting the seventy sixteen to twenty four tracks, you're building it track by track. A how do you do it? And B? When you build track by track, how do you maintain the organic effect?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean the technology is obviously evolved. You know, they've been making country records now for one hundred years and they don't make them today like they used to. They don't do anything like they used to do. And I think technology is a fantastic thing if you use it for the right reason. You know, it's all a matter of that. And so once again, technology and whether it's in tune or you know, everybody complains about auto tuning, and I said, you're not making the singer any more interesting. You're just making the singer more in tune. And that's all you're doing. The singer's voice is either interesting or it isn't. To me, when I hear music, they may be able to sing the phone book, but if they don't have a great song to sing, I'm not interested in hearing the phone book be sung. You know, I'm interested in hearing a story. I'm interested in hearing a song and see where it goes, where it starts, where it ends, and all those things are a big part of it. But you know, nowadays, when we're in here work and you can't make a mistake, which is kind of kind of nice. You know, you go back and in the old days you punch it in on the track, and you punch it at the wrong time. You could ruin a take, you could ruin a whole record. And now you just undo and you try again, and you try again, and and like I said, you're just trying to They say about that music that it's like art at some point, it's never it's never finished, it's only abandoned.
Speaker 1: And I like that.
Speaker 2: I like that thought, you know, I like I like hearing something and go that may be about as good as I can do, and that speaks to me, maybe I could do it a little bit better, do this, do that. But you know, part of the part of the joy is the minutia. And I may be the only one that notices that I took one note out, or that I took one word out, or that I sing this note longer than maybe I would have or whatever. If I'm the only one that notices, I still have to do it, because then it's a disservice to myself. And so I just do the things that way that I do them, and and sometimes I drive people nuts. I mean, I'm not that I'm not a control freak, you know. I'm always up for a better idea, better part, better better everything, you know, and let let everybody have the opportunity to bring their gifts. When I I first worked with Don Henley, my boss, uh, he asked me to come sing on Cass County and I said, okay. So I knew the minutia details that I was in for as I knew all the stories and I heard them all and I was fine with that because I don't mind it one bit and it was a great lesson to learn for us to be friends. Was I went in there and he played me the song and I'm listening to it. He played a couple more times and I said, okay, I think I think I got it. He goes, well, this is where I want the harmonies, and these are the notes I want. And I said to him, I said, okay, I don't. I don't hear it that way, but I'll do it for you. So I did it for him the way he wanted to do it, and he was so so so pleased. You know, we got done in he goes man as advertised, that's as good a harmony singing as I've ever heard and you know, job well done. And I said, well, you want to move on and he said, no, you said something to me before we started. It caught my attention. I said, well, what's that and he goes, well, he said, you didn't hear it that way? He said, would you mind singing it for me? How you would have done it? He said, okay. So I went back in there and and I sang it. I started singing the first bit and he gets the talk back. He goes, dude, way better, let's start over. I said, okay, And so he let me have that freedom. So it was a great lesson to learn that. You know, he gets often painted as a control freak, but he wasn't, you know. And I found that out to be true, that he's if there's a good idea, he's up for it, you know. And it was great for our friendship and I earned his trust and I think I still have it all these years later.
Speaker 1: Okay, would you rather work in the studio or go on the road? Leaving the traveling out?
Speaker 2: You know, they're both the same. I love playing live because it's live, because it's in the moment and there is no fixing it, there is no going back and trying it again. It's just the moment, and that's the way I live my life. I love living in the moment. I'm really comfortable living in the moment. I don't look ahead, I don't look back with regret, and I just am grateful for the moment I have. Tomorrow's not promised, and so I just accept this moment for what it is and grateful for it. And then playing in the studio, you get to mess with it. You get to, you know, try different things. Hey, let's try this instead of that, and all options are on the table and everybody kind of like in that democratic way I mentioned earlier, everybody gets to you know, the ability to voice an opinion. There's no I'm the boss, You'll do what I want you to play in. None of that ever, And I love I love the spirit of that. I love the spirit that is in here when we do this. So I would say neither one is preferable, but they're both completely satisfying. Okay, Yes, So live gig is one and done. Every audience is different. You can be really hot one night and they're not registering it. You could make more mistakes. So to what degree are you in tune with the audience and try to win the audience over if they're not with you. Well, I think what I've learned over fifty two years of playing out live and all that is the audience is the whole key to a great show. I mean, I'm going to play and sing about the way I play and sing. If the audience catches fire and turns on and lifts you up and carries you to the finish line, it's the greatest feeling in the world.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Nowadays what's interesting about playing live. Everybody's got a phone, So every time you play, you have to deliver because they're going to go share it, they're gonna go post it, they're going to go put it out there. And so there's now a different kind of constant pressure about playing live that there never used to be. You know, you weren't going to see it again. It was just that night and you were Maybe maybe it inhibits you a little bit to not try for something that you maybe know you it might be you might not make it, you know, so maybe it makes you play a little safer, sing, a little safer whatever, because you know, at some point somebody's going to capture something and put it out there and go, oh, man, dude, it's really lost it. He can't do it anymore. But uh, I don't I don't enjoy that. I don't enjoy being under the constant microscope all the time. I don't mind in the studio, and I don't mind a live performance where everybody's there and responds, goes home and goes, oh yeah, man, one song was a little funky, but all in all that was a cool show. And now they've all got bits, pieces and parts of all the songs and they go home and relive it. I don't understand why you would want.
Speaker 1: To make the.
Speaker 2: Effort to film what you're saying live, because then you're missing the experience of the liveness of what it is that you're there to see. And I don't think I've ever filmed anything in my life of something live, musical. I just want to be in the experience of it and in the middle of it.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, in the technological age, certainly when we were growing up, the acts were gods. There used to even be seats in all these places. Now they make you stand in many of them, and it was all focused on the act. Today, talking generally that I'll get specific frequently. The audience is a star. They're going to shoot selfies with each other. Oh yeah, they want to have the artifact that here's a video. I was there? Is that palpable from the stage?
Speaker 2: Oh it's you know, when we've been doing this sphere now for a little over a year and a half, I think, and we've done fifty eight shows in there, and people ask me all the time, you know, they said, what's it like playing the Sphere? And I jokingly, and I mean jokingly, I don't really mean this seriously, but I said, it's the most people I've ever been ignored by. And it's true, but it's kind of the way it should be.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: The whole spectacle of that visual is it's unlike anybody's ever seen. You try to explain it to your friends that are going to come out and see a show.
Speaker 1: What's it like?
Speaker 2: Oh man, you're not going to believe it. It's so much bigger than you could ever imagine.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: We went to see The Wizard of Oz not too long ago, Amy and I when I was out there for a couple of Eagle shows, and it was so impact full to see the magnitude of that movie in the sphere. But then what was beautiful about it was seeing something so innocent in this day and age of they're not being very much out there, that's very innocent. We both got weepy here and Judy Garland sing Somewhere over the Rainbow with one hundred and sixty seven thousand speakers. It was. It was unbelievable. So I love playing there. I get it. I get why people enjoy it. And what's cool about it with playing there with the Eagles is everybody knows every note to those songs. They know every harmony part, they know every word, they know every guitar solo, they know the ooze, the harmonies, everything about it. You know, it's such a great lesson to learn how important songs are because the song catalog that they have is why they're them. You know, it's an amazing catalog of songs that's pretty untouchable, and.
Speaker 1: It's just.
Speaker 2: Pretty amazing to get to experience at night after night and hear Desperado then here take it to the Limit, and here Lion Eyes and here.
Speaker 1: You know, it's just it's astounding.
Speaker 2: And I love it, And I don't know if We're going to do some more shows at the Sphere, but we'll see.
Speaker 1: And it's been a blast, okay. Joe Walsh was ill and you saying life's been good. A before you played with the Eagles. Did you know the song? Of course when you heard it every night? Yeah, you're there, you're playing when you actually sang it. Did you have a teleprompter? Of course?
Speaker 2: I always have. I told Donna said, I'm gonna have to have a teleprompter. You guys have sung Lion Eyes for fifty years.
Speaker 1: I haven't.
Speaker 2: There's nine verses, so I'm going to need a telephone. I used one, but that night, you know, I remember when Joe got sick on the Friday night the night before. He was kind of coming on and off stage and taking oxygen and struggling, and so we got done. And the next morning Joe had to go to the hospital and we knew he wasn't gonna play. And Don called and said, men, you think we can work up three or four year songs? And I go, man, we don't have any content for them on the on all the all the stuff. I don't think it would work. I said, I can sing Joe's songs. He said can you, and I go, oh, yeah, no problem. I've been singing in my whole life, and so the humor of it was hearing me sing life's been good, my maserati and I you know, none of that stuff has ever been a part of my life. So it was pretty laughable to hear me singing those songs. But one of the crew guys after after we got done, he walked by and goes, man, that was cool, as you did a great job. He goes, I never understood the words because Joe was you know, does does Joe? And and uh so, yeah, it was you know, Don said, hey, we can eat, you know, we can point eighteen five hundred people or just man up and go play, you know. So we did that and there's a few detractors. I had a guy over to the right of me, and that was so pissed that I was that Joe wasn't there and I was singing his songs and they you know, but but yeah, it was I think the best option, you know that that could have happened.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's the sphere, as you say, being ignored, but the stage is low, it's almost like a high school saha, And there was a guy on the floor that really was catching your rye and affecting your emotions.
Speaker 2: I could hear him, yeah, I mean he was mad. I mean we when we played, we play about three songs and then Don comes out to talk and welcome everybody, and and it was obvious that Joe wasn't there. We started with Hotel California, and Deacon covered and did a great job. And uh so Don's walking out, and this guy over to my.
Speaker 1: Right goes, where's Joe. You know, he's not.
Speaker 2: Happy, And Don looked over and at him and through the microphones says, shut up, and I'll tell you.
Speaker 1: He didn't take anything off of anybody. And I love it.
Speaker 2: But uh and then he was you know, I could hear him over there. And finally somebody, the security, you know, finally says, you know, you you kind of have to shut up or.
Speaker 1: You're gonna have to go.
Speaker 2: And and a friend of a friend of mine that I had breakfast with was sitting right behind it. That morning, I'd had breakfast with my friend and he was sitting right behind this guy. And he finally grabbed a guy and said, if you say another word, I'm taking you out of here. Myself and all of that, and it finally, it finally simmered down. But you know, it wasn't it wasn't a whole lot different than the first night I played with them, you know. And and Glint had passed, and so I'm going to sing the first song I sang, and I'm scared to death, you know. And and what was really amazing was I could feel the apprehension of that crowd at Dodger Stadium. I knew they just were not having it, you know. And I got done with the verse and chorus. I've taken the limit, I think, and I felt everybody just go, it's.
Speaker 1: Going to be okay. It's going to be okay.
Speaker 2: And you know, I've had detractors the whole time and will and I expect it and.
Speaker 1: Well, wait, wait a second, s it's the Eagles, I know. No, no, what I mean by that is, was it like the dude in that movie The Eagles have the biggest selling album of all time. It's like it's like Windows versus you know, mac Ows. The people who are negative, you know, they have passions about it. Yeah, I get it, you know.
Speaker 2: And I told people when I first started talking about I go look, I don't want to hear me sing new kid in Town either, you know, But that's that's the option. That's what we're left with. And the way I've always kind of reacted to getting to do that. You know, I'm beyungrateful that I was the guy they called to come and do that, but the only reason I got to do it was because of a tragedy. And that's always at the forefront of my mind. So I don't I'm not high five and people go, hey, man, I'm in the Eagles, you know, I'm just going I'm here because something really sad that happened. I wish it didn't happen either. I wish I didn't get to do it. I wish Glenn was still.
Speaker 1: Alive, but he's not.
Speaker 2: And and so hopefully this is this is an acceptable option, you know, And with most people it's been okay, Well I.
Speaker 1: Was there, and I understand what you're saying, but you know, it's kind of like dead End Company. Dead End Company. There's a lot of heretics, but they were tighter than the Grateful Dead and that night, you know, the band maybe because they knew they had something to prove. It was actually a step up from what it had been, you know, prior to your tenure. But how did you find out they were interested in you filling the rule? Was it one and done? Did they call and say, hey, you want to do it or not? Or did they make you go through some hoops? And were you always in or were you somewhat anxious that maybe this wouldn't be a good thing for you? Now.
Speaker 2: I remember when I did Kennedy Center honors for the Eagles, when they were honored, and I think I sang peaceful, easy feeling and some of life in the fast lane and maybe something else, And that might have been the moment where Don might have been sitting there going, hey, this guy might work. Don told me, he said, you're one of the only people I even consider doing this with, you know, Deacon obviously, because he was Glenn's son. And Don's a big believer in the son of the Father and the trade and a big believer in that, and so that made sense, you know, And it helped also from an emotional place for a lot of people to see Glenn's son up there. But I think that was maybe when they thought maybe I might be the right guy, and I'd had a relationship with everybody in the band. Prior to that, you know, Timothy and Joe and Don. I'd written some songs with Joe and we played at Eric's Crossroad Guitar festivals together, and Timothy came and sang on my version of I Can't tell you Why. When we did a tribute to the Eagles record Beat Eagles Records in the mid nineties. And then Glenn and I were golf buddies, and Glenn and I shared Larry Fitzgerald as our manager in the years that the Eagles were not together between eighty and ninety four, so I was friendly with all those guys. And when Irving called Larry and said, hey, we're talking about maybe trying this just in an experiment, see if it works. Do you think Vince would have any interest? And Larry called me said what do you think? I said, when do we leave?
Speaker 1: You know it?
Speaker 2: It was a no brainer. You know my favorite and you know easily, and I got tapes of me as fifteen year old kids singing their songs, and I tell people, I said, I was in pure Prairie League, but I wanted to be in the Eagles. So yeah, it was It was a very easy, yes, you.
Speaker 1: Know, and and.
Speaker 2: And the premise was early on, let's just do a few shows and see how everybody takes it, you know, And everybody was kind of okay with it, I think audience wise, their fan fan base wise and them and and you know, I'm kind of of a village idiot. I'm cutting up all the time and cracking jokes, and I keep it pretty light. So I'm a good bit different than maybe what they've experienced in the past with the drama.
Speaker 1: Irrelevant of what you play in the set, what are your two favorite Eagles songs?
Speaker 2: I would probably say Desperado's my favorite.
Speaker 1: In that.
Speaker 2: When I first started playing with them, I asked, I said, okay, shoot me straight. I said, what's the first song you and Glenn ever wrote? And he smiled and said Desperado. I said, no way. I said, you got to be bs and me. You had to write some average songs before you wrote Esperando. And he started laughing, No, that's the first song we ever wrote. And so I said, moy, you talk about meant to be so that one is always emotional for me when I hear it. Realizing that was the beginning of their partnership, in the beginning of that band and what the song was that lifted them off? And you know, I don't know, maybe another one might be, might be Rocky Mountain Way. In that I was a probably a thirteen fourteen year old kid in my room learning how to play it, you know, And I was a Joe freak. I love James Gang and I loved it solo records, and I played that song in every garage band I've ever been in, and that's always it's always a head scratcher. Look over and go, are you serious? You're playing Rocky Mountain Way right now, you know, And it's it's not lost on me. How how amazing this experience is, you know, I.
Speaker 1: Walk away being grateful. I walk away.
Speaker 2: Learning how important songs are again, you know, and why they're them is because their songs are so good, you know.
Speaker 1: And I just.
Speaker 2: Hope that they walk away being feeling the same way that they were. They feel good about asking me to come do it with them.
Speaker 1: Okay, you talk about glenn and Don writing that National's famous for its writing sessions. There's Lennon and McCartney. Although it came out one person would write more than the others, it went on what's your feeling about writing in terms of collaboration.
Speaker 2: I enjoy it, you know, I enjoy seeing you know, I think oftentimes I've written plenty of songs that have been successful by myself. I've written plenty of songs with other people that have been successful, and vice versa.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I remember there's a great joke about Roger Miller. They asked him one time, they said, did you ever? Do you ever co write? Did Picasso ever co paint? And so there's been a lot of people that weren't for it, that didn't do it, and I always enjoyed it. I enjoyed the process. I enjoy making a new friend. I enjoy keeping an old friend.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I got people I've written songs with for forty five years that I still write songs with, you know, and always will. And brand new people kids that come along that have an act for it and have a gift for it, and you know, two three heads or sometimes maybe better than one.
Speaker 1: Okay, But if you're writing alone, ay, do you take it as work like I got an album and I got to have songs or are you waiting for inspiration? And do you find qualitatively the stuff that's written on inspiration different or better than the stuff that you're grinding it out.
Speaker 2: I think I'm a way different songwriter at sixty nine than I was at twenty nine in that I'm willing to wait for it. In those early days, I might not have been willing to wait for it. When I first started playing with Pure Prairie League, I was god. I think I was twenty two twenty three years old. I was very young. I'd only written seven songs in my life and I joined that band. They didn't have any songs, and we're going to make a record, and they said, do you have any songs? And I said, I get some. They cut five of them, and none of them were I didn't think any of them were that good, but the only options they had, so we I wound up getting five of my songs cut on this first record. I went, Okay, now I'm a songwriter. So that was the start and then where I am today. I just love the patience that I have to be willing to edit myself. When you're young, you think you know everything, so maybe you don't think you need to edit.
Speaker 1: You don't need to. Well that's good. I think that's great. But you could.
Speaker 2: You could try and try and try again. I'm in here all the time, like singing a vocal on a song I wrote, and I'll go, I don't like that line that doesn't sing well, so I'll rewrite it and find words that sing better, you know, And and all those things are a part of the process, and just always being willing to edit yourself. You know, I think writing a song is no different than writing a book or a story in a newspaper or a review or what have you. You know, you got to be willing to once again edit yourself and go to what do I really need to tell this story? I remember there's a great songwriter I wrote a song with on one of these records, and sadly his name won't come to me right now. He's the guy that wrote the house that built me for Miranda Lambert, and his name won't come to me. And I'm embarrassed. But you know, we wrote this song and had one verse in one chorus, and we're writing and saying it, and I go, I think we're done, Because what do you mean we're done? I said, Well, look at the lyric. What else would you say?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: The story is told because gosh, you're right, I said, Merul Haggard did pretty good with only writing one verse to a whole lot of songs. And you know, guys like Rodney Crowd, Guy Clark, those are the guys that helped teach me to not overdo it, to be willing to only say what's necessary. There's a word in there that doesn't have the story it has to go, you know. And so I think, more than anything, you know, the process of writing has evolved over the years. And I just thought of Tom Douglas as the guy I was trying to think of his name that wrote that song with me, and he's a brilliant songwriter. And I'm embarrassed. But the old mind ain't what it used to be.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're growing up in Oklahoma in the sixties and seventies. Are you a rock guy or a country guy? Both? I was.
Speaker 2: I was a chameleon in that I was the youngest in my family. So when I was growing up, before I could buy my own records, I had my mom and dad's records, which were primarily country. My dad liked big you know, singers like uh he like Eddie Arnold, somebody like that, like crooner's stuff like that. My big brother loved the blues, my sister loved pop music, rock and roll, and I was drawn to bluegrass and country music later. But I never got to buy my own records, so I had to listen to everything that in the folks in my family chose to pick and play, and so that gave me a pretty diverse palette for music early on. And I liked everything I was. I was responding to everything. When I first had enough money to go buy a forty five, probably in grade school, I went and bought a Beatles record. I bought Twist and Shout, and that's the first record I ever bought with my own money. It was either that or They're coming to take me away to the Funny Farm. I can't remember which one was first, but I'm betting it was the Beatles. But you know, I then I got and I liked the country music of buck Owens.
Speaker 1: I liked the.
Speaker 2: Merle Haggard and Twang Years stuff more than the smooth stuff. You know. I liked it, but that had that edge to it, that drive to it that some of it didn't, you know. And I think country music in its history has always done this pattern of evolving in that sometimes it felt like it was embarrassed to be what it was, so it tried to go emulate pop music. It tried to go emulate Frank Sinatra. Took Ray Charles to make a really great record nineteen six called The Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music that showed everybody how soulful our music was. You know, this beautiful singer Ray Charles would take a Hanks Williams song or a Don Gibson song or whoever and make it into this soulful, amazing piece of work. And it was I think invaluable in expanding people's viewpoint of what country music was. I think they were always embarrassed about the hey bales and the overalls and that kind of stuff. You know that it was hicck issuan, It was mountainee and all those things. But those are the things I loved about it and was drawn to being a teenage bluegrass picker, and all of a sudden I was immersed in the Stanley Brothers, Bill Monroe and learned about murder ballads and all this great stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I'm growing up in the Northeast. You know, there's a lot of political division in the country now, but there's more homogenization than ever before. A you're growing up in Oklahoma, I'm growing up in Connecticut and the New York radio market. There is no country music. Of course, of course there's Charlie Rich who crosses over the most beautiful girl in the world every once in a while. So you're growing up, you know, is your country like on the radio you're dialing in, you're listening to that as well as Top forty maybe underground FM.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we sure did. And you know, the Grand Old Opry. A lot of people don't realize the intention of the Grand Old Opry when it started one hundred now one hundred. It's in his one hundred and first year of being on the air. In nineteen twenty five. It started, and it was an insurance company whose moniker was WSM, which stood for We Shield Millions. It's an insurance company, and their premise was when they started broadcasting music on the radio, was to find a way to appeal to rural people to sell them insurance. It's not that they had this great affinity for country music, can string band music and all that kind of stuff. They were trying to sell insurance. So it was all about trying to make a buck. And so they said, well, what are the rural people like. They said, well, they like that fiddle and banjo stuff. They really like that, that twangy stuff. And so a fiddler named Jimmy Thompson, they brought him into a radio or into a hotel room downtown Nashville in nineteen twenty five. He played fiddle tunes for thirty minutes to try to appeal to the rural people to sell insurance. And that's kind of how it got started. So, I mean, we listened some to WSM. You know, it was a big, big station that carried all across the country because of how many, you know, fifty thousand watts station and would carry all over And man, I listened to everything I always did, and I was you never got to see much on television, a little bit, not a ton of music. And then Andy Griffiths show had had the Darlings, which were the Dillers, and it had Clarence white and Roland Whitey were called the Kentucky Colonels and Flatt and scrub Us on the Beverly Hillbillies. And little by little you discover some of this stuff that I really liked, you know, I love the sound. My dad played the banjo, but not like Earl Scruggs. He played more of a PC or folk style of banjo, and that's what I heard as a little boy. And then when I heard Earl take off on a banjo, I.
Speaker 1: Go, I'm all about that. That's pretty cool sounded. So when did you start to play, and did you start on the piano or on a guitar.
Speaker 2: I started. I don't remember not playing, so I can't lay claim to say. And I started playing guitar when I was seven. My mom has a picture of me and sleeping on the couch, face down. I'm about a year and a half, maybe two years old, and I'm asleep on the couch and I have my arm around a little, tiny parlor guitar. So I knew I was beaten on one as soon as I could walk. And I took piano lessons from a little old lady down the street and that didn't take I took violin lessons in grade school, and I just wanted to play the guitar, and those things fell by the wayside, and I kind of regret not learning to read, not learning to maybe play the piano. I think it would have served me well being able to play the piano, being a songwriter and the wealth of what's available to you at a piano keyboard is amazing. But the funny thing about I always tell the story the picture of me from my arm around that little guitar when I was year and a half two years old, was I was wearing a dress in the picture. But that's another show. But all I know is I was meant to play, and it's all I ever did.
Speaker 1: So you didn't go to college, but your father was a judge. What do you say about that?
Speaker 2: Well, because he was a musician. I think I fulfilled some of his dreams by going off and playing music. And I remember my mom got interviewed some years back and they asked her the same question. They said, did it bother you that your son didn't take a more traditional, you know route and go get a good education and get.
Speaker 1: A good job. And she say, no, I didn't bother me.
Speaker 2: She said, I didn't care anything about having a rich kid, but I sure cared about having a happy kid. That music always made him happy. She would tell stories about me coming home being mad about losing a baseball game or this and that and kicking my way upstairs and muttering and being mad. She said, about ten minutes of playing that guitar and you were fine. So it was like the best friend I ever had, that guitar.
Speaker 1: Okay, are you self taught completely? Pretty much?
Speaker 2: I took some lessons from a guy in Oklahoma City when I was probably in junior high school maybe, and he didn't teach me a lot, you know, he just would show me songs, but most of the time he would smoke a cigar and talk on the phone during my lesson. Yeah that sounds good, Keep keep playing that, you know, and he just you know, interrupted his phone calling play that again, you know.
Speaker 1: And I learned.
Speaker 2: I learned a few songs from going to take lessons from him. But my ears were really the gift of gifts and that they heard what it was that I needed to do, and they informed me, they taught me, and just repetition. I mean, we didn't have the Internet to look at and the YouTube to look at and see how so and so played that lick.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: We had to dig it out of the out of our brains. And I remember years ago I was playing a show with James Burton, great guitar player, played with Elvis, Ricky Nelson and Emmy lou and one of my telecaster heroes. And we were playing a song that I'd heard him play a thousand times and I looked over and he's playing it. I go, oh, he's playing it on the third and fourth string, not the second and third strings. And I heard it and I'd played it on the second and third strings. I moved it up and started, Oh, that's why it sounds like it sounds. It was always missing, just this little detail, you know. And it was one more open string ringing from playing on the third and four strings than the second and third strings. It was pretty informative. And so yeah, we didn't have all that. And you know, people say, what do you like better? What do you think is your best gift? You're playing or you singing? I go, it's my hearing, you know. My hearing has informed all of it. Being able to differentiate what it is that someone's doing that I could learn it.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm a little older than you. I remember the early sixties folk boom. Everybody got a nylon string guitar, sing Peter Paul and Mary the Beatles, hit. Everybody got an electric guitar, formed band? You're playing guitar? What's the next step? Are you playing at school assemblies? Do you form a band? How does it go well?
Speaker 2: I think the first place I went and played was it in grade school. They let me come over and I played the House of the Rising Sun. And so I'm in grade school. I'm singing, singing songs about catouses or whatever, and I knew the die was cast and I was meant to be a hillbilly singer. And and then I got into uh seventh grade, and my friend Benny and I we had a little trio and we were learning Sunshine of Your Love, anything that was going on in the day, and and and playing, and so I was. I had my first electric guitar when I was ten, So that was that was a pretty great gift. I still have it to this day. It's a Gibson E S three thirty five.
Speaker 1: Okay, nice guitar.
Speaker 2: So I had a great instrument to learn on, you know. And and what was your ramp? I had a Fender Super Reverb. I had high tools, you know, And I had no idea at the time, but anyway, we started playing those garage bands. And then when I was about uh fifteen or sixteen, I went out. I had broken a string on my father's banjo, and I didn't know how to fix it, and I knew I was going to catch Hell when he came home. So my mom said, there's a guy two blocks a way that fixed this banchos and plays and he'd probably be able to fix it for you. All that was was changing a string, and I didn't know how to change a banjo string. So I went over and he fixed it, and he goes, he ever played any bluegrass? And I said, Noah. His name was Charlie Clark, and he said, my son, Bobby's a real good musician as a bluegrass band. They just lost their lead singer and played in and I said, I've never played any bluegrass, and he shoved an acoustic guitar in my hand, and I started trying to learn to play bluegrass, started playing in Bobby's band, and that band was called The Bluegrass Review, And I started playing bluegrass festivals and loved it.
Speaker 1: Just loved flat.
Speaker 2: Picking and hearing guys like Clarence White, Tony Rice, all these great musicians. Sam Bush had new Grass Revival going. Then I was in another band in high school called Mountain Smoke, and that's the first record I ever made. I was seventeen and they decided to make a record, and we made a record. And I'm driving through Oklahoma City one day and lo and behold, one of the radio stations played a song that I played banjo on and sang. I was the lead singer on that particular song. And I got on my Cbee radio and I'm yelling, hey man, they're playing our song on the radio. Never got to hear myself on the radio. And these truckers are coming back. You sound good, kid, Hang in there, you know.
Speaker 1: And so it was.
Speaker 2: It was amazing that the first record I ever made got played by somebody, and it gave me this really beautiful sense of hope. If you try, maybe you never know, you know. And so that hope has never really dwindled and never faded. And I still, you know, every time I write a song or make a record, I hope somebody responds. Doesn't have to be a lot. Okay, so you're playing you have this experience. Do you know from a young age, I'm going to be a professional musician or does the light bulb go off, because you're gonna graduate from high school. Oh, I knew when I was fifteen what I was gonna do. You know, I'm lucky. I think a lot of kids go to school not having any idea what they want to do. But at fifteen somebody. First gig I ever got was this little club had a little three piece man that we went down there and played, and this lady said she'd pay us one hundred bucks. And so we played and went down there and we got done with the night and we went to get paid. She goes, I'm not paying you. I said, well, ma'am, you said you'd pay us one hundred bucks. She goes, well, I don't care what I said. I'm not paying you. I said, okay, my dad's a lawyer. I said, you're going to hear from me. And I had the guts to go take this woman to court. So we get in small claims court. My dad's course, didn't go with me, and I'm before the judge and he said, son, I see here here today for services rendered of one hundred dollars of playing a gig at her club. And I said, yes, sir, And he said, are you aware that she's countersuing you for libel and slander and defamation that carries this whole laundry list of stuff. And I go, no, I was not aware of that. And he goes son, he said, you want some advice. I said, yes, sir, and he goes, chuck this one up to experience and get out of my court. So even though I got stiffed on the first paying gig I was ever going to get, I still did it, you know. And what's funniest is it never mattered what I made, you know, I just love getting to do it. If I could keep the rent paid. I left home at eighteen, got out of high school and joined a band up in Louisville, Kentucky and called the Bluegrass Alliance and pretty well known bluegrass group in the day. And I rented a room in this guy's house named Harry Bikele and my rent was only fifteen dollars a month, and we made a couple hundred bucks a week and we played the club and so I was set. I go, man, I don't need to make much. It's fine, and I'm doing what I love and I'm paying the rent, eating and I'm it felt successful even at eighteen just being able to pay the rent. And it's kind of been my mantra the whole time. If I pay the rent, I'm good.
Speaker 1: Okay, you grew up in Oklahoma, so they say the internet works everywhere, cable TV, whatever, But that's not the era you and me grew up in. You've been around the United States. What's the difference between Oklahoma and other places.
Speaker 2: Well, golly, you know, Oklahoma's not southern. It's not the South, it's not the it's not the West, it's not the Northeast. It's it's an area that I think people understood how hard work was the only way to make it work, you know. And they dug a living out of the dirt. They were very practical. They were common sensical. Everything I did when I was a kid with my mom and dad, if it better make common sense, or you were going to catch hell, you know. So I lived in an environment of whatever you did better make sense, you know. And so that's how I grew up. And everybody's kind of matter of fact and honest. And I like the people from Oklahoma.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I left the long time ago. I was only there for eighteen years. But when I go back and I get my feet in that red dirt across the borderline and get into where I'm from.
Speaker 1: It just there's a.
Speaker 2: Feeling like I can't explain, just you know, Ani M said it there's no place like home, or Dorothy said it wasn't any m.
Speaker 1: Well, how did your family end up in Oklahoma?
Speaker 2: I think my dad my mom was born in Kansas, just farm country and grew up on a farm and watched them go through hard times, depression and dust bowl that kind of stuff. They knew hard times. And my dad, I think was born in that was actually born in Kansas, and my mom's mother, my dad's mother actually knew each other in Kansas and wound up in Oklahoma after they got married. And I don't know all the details, but my mom was married once prior to me being born to my dad and had my brother Bob in her first marriage and he's twelve years older than me. And my mom and dad got married and had myself and my sister. Yeah, it just, you know, it felt normal. That's what I liked about Oklahoma. It felt real normal.
Speaker 1: Okay, So now you're living in Nashville, you're playing in the Bluegrass Alliance. Let's be clear, it's country, but it's still sex, drugs and rock and roll A. To what degree was that appealing? B to what degreed did you experience? And see what was your viewpoint on all of that?
Speaker 2: Well, I like two out of three. I never You know what's funny, I never did any drugs. I've never smoked pot. And most people hear me say that and don't believe it. My own my own son Matt, when Amy and I got married, he said to me one time, he goes, you smoke a lot of dope, don't you. I started laughing. I go, dude, I've never smoked any dope. He goes, I think you're high right now, I said, I swear I have never smoked any pot. I'm really easy going, real chill, and I can see why you would think that, but I never I never was too interested in it. One of the reasons was I saw the effects of drinking and driving with what happened to my brother. He had a really severe car wreck at twenty one, and I was just a kid, and he was in a coma and had brain injury for three months and then struggled the rest of his life and kind of hoboed around and lived in the mission, and he disappeared for long periods of time and then come back home and disappear again. And he finally came home a couple of years before he passed and said he was done traveling and didn't want to mess around with that. My mom would always you find him a place and cheer him on, help him out, get him a car or whatever.
Speaker 1: And it was.
Speaker 2: I saw what that could do. So I think that subliminally it might have kind of led me down a path that I didn't want to. I didn't want to take that chance. I didn't want to cause that kind of hurt and my folks and disappointment and whatever. And so I jumped in with both feet and I, you know, I experienced a good life, you know, and I don't regret any of it, even the mistakes I made. I'm willing to accept them because I learned something.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're going to school. There are some people who go to school. They're the life of the party, they're the quarterback on the football team, they have sex, et cetera. And there are other people on the other end of the spectrum. You go on the road to what degree are you sexually experienced and to what degree do you handle you know, the nature of you're on stage. There are people who are attracted to that. That's just you don't have to do much of anything.
Speaker 2: So what was your experience, Well, it was it was intense in that it was a it was a free stretch of life and anything went, and I went with anything went, you know, and and all of that, and I don't know just kind of the way it was, you know, and you just just accepted whatever, you know, kind of anybody was willing to want to do.
Speaker 1: I guess, you know. I I part I partook plenty and had.
Speaker 2: A had a crazy life at times, but it was never never the center of everything. You know, It's oftentimes where you'd like things to wind up, but it was still focused on playing, focused on going to hear some great music at a club, focused on listening to a new record somebody made. I love the years that I lived in California. I moved out there and when I was nineteen, end of nineteen seventy six and just loved being near the ocean and being around the musicianship that was out there. And you could go to a club and hear Robin Ford do you go to a club and hear Larry Carlton. You could go to a club and here's some of the best musicians you'd ever heard in your life. And what I liked about it it was how much wider my experience became musically when I got out there. It wasn't it wasn't only just the bluegrass world. And I loved my bluegrass, but I don't think it was ever quite enough to hold me.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I liked trying to play soulful guitar and ben strings and those things. I like country picking guitar, chicken picking guitar, I liked flat picking guitar, I liked I liked all of it. Liked R and B, I liked soulful stuff, and so man, I just all I ever wanted it to be was authentic with whatever I was doing. If I was singing a soul song, I wanted soulful people to think, Hey, that guy's a soulful singer.
Speaker 1: You know, Okay, you've been should struggle earlier. Some people live somewhat of a charm life, but most musicians it's not a root straight to the top. So once you start playing as a professional and you moved to California. Are things falling in place? Or are you frustrated now?
Speaker 2: It was generally I always felt good about what I was doing, you know, and even if I was in a supporting cast role and not the focal point, that didn't bother me. I like just being part of the process. And I think that when I first started making my own records as a solo artist, I struggled, but I didn't mind struggling because I didn't have to be successful to survive. Because I was a decent enough musician, a decent enough session player, just enough decent enough session singer that I could work on people's records and make a living. So my end all to end all didn't have to be and hit records.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It eventually happened, and I was grateful when it finally did, but it didn't. It was not the reason. You know, And I don't know if I mentioned this earlier, but when I was young, I was the one that studied the back of records, who played on this I would buy. I would buy albums from people I didn't even know who they were because I saw a guitar player I admired that maybe played on that record, so well, maybe I'll check out what he did and learn something. And and so that led me down a path of once again not needing to be the focal point. Was was pretty helpful. I knew I was good enough that if I didn't have hits, I could go play in somebody's band. I got offered a job in dire Straits in the late eighties by Mark Knunflirt.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, wait, you're talking about when they go on the last tour. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And and he came to see me play in New York City and he called me and he goes, hey, would you have any interest in coming and being in dire Straits. We're going on this world tour. And and you know, I'm struggling to pay for the house. It would have solved every financial problem I had. And at the same time, I was changing from RCAA Records to MCAA Records. I was going to go to work with my old friend Tony Brown, and I was being given a new shot. And I called him. I said, man, I don't know why I'm saying this, but I'm going to say no. He said why, I said, Well, he said, I'm getting ready to get a new shot at a new record company, and my ears tell me I'm good enough to be a part of this country music world. And if I don't bet on me, then I can't expect anybody else to. And if I take this job, it'll kind of be an admittance of failure for the last seven years, and I'm not sure I can do that to myself. So I'm gonna take a chance and make a new record and see if I can flip this thing. And lo and behold, I got lucky, and I did, but it wasn't really, it didn't happen right away. I'd released two singles from my first MCA record. One was a duet with Reeba and the other was a song I'd written with Roseanne Cash, which she also got, called Never Alone. And both of those singles did okay, but kind of a lot like the rest of my singles had done, you know, didn't find their way into the top ten or become a big smash, any of that kind of stuff. And then the third single was when I Call Your Name, and that's when everything flipped, everything changed, and that's the song that caught fire.
Speaker 1: Let's go back a step. How'd you end up in Pure Prairie League, and what were your thoughts. It is a band that had one Well, there's basically the same songs, two songs falling in out of Loving Amy that were never really singles, and the guy who wrote it was no longer in the band exactly. So how did this come to be and what were your thoughts about it? Well?
Speaker 2: I first met those guys when I was in high school and our band that I was in, Mountain Small, opened a show for them, and when they played in Oklahoma City in probably nineteen seventy four, and Amy had all of a sudden caught fire. You know, the original story of Amy. It was recorded in the early seventies, and then the band was dropped from the label and Craig had gone on to moved to Canada and left the band Craig Fuller who wrote and sang Amy. And then in the like seventy four or five, I can't remember what it was, this song catches fire with college radio stations all across the country, starts blowing up and becoming this big song, and so they go back and re sign the band to the record deal. They don't have Craig and his voice and his songs to follow up Amy with I think they would have probably had a bigger career had they had Craig. And so I'm living out in California. It's nineteen seventy eight, I think, and I was playing with Byron Berline, great fiddle player. Hired me to come out there, and a friend of mine called me up and said, hey, I'm going up to sir to audition for Pure Prairie League. You want to go? I go, sure, man, I'll go along with you. I said, I opened a show for those guys when I was in high school, and I'll just I'll go with you. It'd be fun to see him again. And so I went up there and he did his audition and they introduced myself and they said, aren't you that kid from Oklahoma that plays all the instruments? And I said, yeah, yeah, that's me. And they said will you be interested in this gig? And my friend's looking at me like thanks a lot, you know, and I said, no, I'm probably not playing with a guy firing here in Los Angeles, and I really like it. And they said, well, come up and jam with us tomorrow. Bring your stuff and come up and jam with us. So I went up there and I got to play play my guitar really loud and have some fun, and I said, well, maybe I will do this, you know. So I quit Byron and started playing with them, and we did three three records, I think three albums, and had one pretty good hit, let Me Love You Tonight nineteen eighty somewhat of a pop hit, and so that that was fun. He got me on an American Bandstand and solid Gold and a bunch of TV shows like Mike Douglas and Merv Griffin and Don Kirshner's Rock Concert and great learning experience for me to learn about the record industry a little bit and all that kind of stuff. And I wouldn't trade it for nothing. Good guys.
Speaker 1: Okay, Traditionally country has not been a catalog business. It's all been new frontline stuff. But in the Internet era, everything's completely different because everything you ever made is available at this late date. To what degree are your royalties significant from both publishing and now granted you did not only write songs for your own records, but in terms of record royalties and publishing royalties, how are those streams?
Speaker 2: I would think they're probably a good bit less than they used to be, but I would, you know, it'd be hard to compare because I haven't had a big number one record in twenty five years, twenty six years, something like that, so what I would know is minimal. I do know that it's the royalty rate. The digital royalty rate is somewhat unfair, you know, in comparison to what it used to be for terrestrial radio. And if some of those things could find their way to get fixed, it might might really benefit the songwriting community for there to be a little more shackles for evite has spread around.
Speaker 1: Do you still own all your rights? Pretty much?
Speaker 2: I partnered up with a guy named Jody Williams not too long ago, and like I said, the hit records had kind of faded away, and he called me one and I'd never had a publisher. I published myself because I had a place for all my songs and didn't see the need to split the money. And I wasn't keen on really pushing my songs to other people, and so I just kept them for myself and recorded him and had a great run and did well. But he called me four or five years ago and he said, you've never had anybody manage your songwriting. He said, I think you still have a lot to offer as a songwriter. Would you consider letting me manage your songwriting.
Speaker 1: For a while?
Speaker 2: I said, sure, it sounds like fun. And I'd known him for forty plus years and was a great friend. And so that turned into man a treasure trove of me being creative and writing a bunch of new songs.
Speaker 1: I wrote.
Speaker 2: I've probably written one hundred and fifty hundred and seventy five songs in the last four or five years, and I've got to telling myself, well, you should. You should get busy and put some of this stuff out, you know. So everybody likes a lot of content these days. And so I went in and I recorded over seventy songs and found a way to put them all out with these EPs. I'm doing an EP a month for a year, and it's the most creative stretch I've ever gone through. And I love it because I really like the songs and I think I'm doing quality work.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the EPs are coming out once a month, but all the stuff on the EPs was recorded in that seventy song burst, yes, sir, So nothing beyond that. It's just a matter of putting it out this way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I try to stay ahead of the next EP, you know, Like I've got six of them out. I just finished last week mixing number seven. It's coming out May eighth, and so I just keep myself ahead of the next one coming out. And I'm loving the process. I'm working harder than I've ever worked, probably in my life. But at this point I realized I don't have as much time to be creative left as I've had to this point. So it matters so much more to me now than maybe it ever did. So I really want to take advantage of still having my faculty, still being able to sing as well as I ever did and play as well as I ever did. Songs are cool, So I'm having a ball.
Speaker 1: To what degree do you view these because you set it up, you're working with the gentlemen publishing. To what degree do you see them as publishing demos or as songs themselves?
Speaker 2: I see them as masters. They're being released by MCA Records, and I signed a lifetime deal with them not too long ago.
Speaker 1: They win What the hell is a lifetime deal?
Speaker 2: They just said, we want you for the rest of your life. If you have something you record you want to put out, we want to be the ones to put it out. And it's to me, it's a testament to the loyalty we've had for each other for thirty seven years.
Speaker 1: Now. You know, okay, you know in California there's a question of legality. You signed a piece of paper, say I, then skill and betrothed to MCA Records till if pass pretty much.
Speaker 2: But they but they also have in there that if if they don't want to put it out, you can do whatever you want to with it. So it's more than fair and more than reasonable. And I don't know all the detail. I played the guitar. My dad was a lawyer, but I wasn't.
Speaker 1: Let's go back. We were talking about the royalties and you said you weren't sure. Are you just being evasive or are you no? You don't really know where your money is and.
Speaker 2: What's going on to a point, but I know what I don't know, you know, and I know I don't know a lot about the financial world. And I'm not an investor. I don't play the stocks, I don't do anything risky. I'm just grateful for the money I've made playing music. Well, who's managing your money. Then I've had the same same business manager for forty two years now.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, the money can't sit in the bank. You're losing money on the money. You must have investments. At some times.
Speaker 2: We're doing a few things, but it's not once again, it's like in bonds and municipal bonds and things like that that are not risky and not safe. And we don't go out and take a flyer and take a bunch of money and throw at somebody that says they can make a bunch of money.
Speaker 1: I don't. I'm not much of it. I'm not a.
Speaker 2: I hate it just sounds stupid to say, but I'm not that interested in money, you know. I like cheering my friends on, helping my friends out when they need help. And and I know I'm in good shape. Every now and then I would get a little I'd go a little crazy buying old guitars, you know. And I spent a fortune buying old guitarist And my buddy Chuck, who was he passed away a couple of years ago, that was the head of the management business management company. He would call me and he would put me in time out. He said, you're you're going a little bit crazy and you're spending too much money on guitars. And I said, okay, so I'd be on being time out for a while. Then he calls say, you're okay if you want to go get something. And then when I ten years ago, I started playing with with with the boys, and he'd called me one time and he goes, I see you just bought a guitar, and I go yeah, and he goes, you can buy whatever you want. You're playing with those guys. Now, you're fine.
Speaker 1: How many guitars do you own? Oh, probably two hundred and fifty. And where are they?
Speaker 2: They're right around the corner. They're all in my studio here at the house.
Speaker 1: Okay. Collecting guitar is totally different. In the sixties and seventies, English musicians come to America, go to pawn shops wherever they were. Now everything nothing's rare anymore. Everything's available online. Ay, how do you decide what to buy?
Speaker 2: Well, there are certain examples that you know are collectible, you know are desirable, that you know are rare, and all those things kind of factor into it, and they also affect the price. You know, there's plenty of instruments out there that are in the high six figures that you'll pay for them if you want to buy one, and that you know it's because they're scarce. It's because they're completely desirable, and they sound better than just about anything you can ever play. So I've i've, i've, I've bitten the bullet a time or two on things that I never would have expected I would have spent that much money on.
Speaker 1: Getting the money. Yeah, did the instrument live up to the rep.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, But I know what I'm looking for too. You know, I don't buy for quantity. I've never bought a guitar that didn't speak to me, that didn't play well and sound well and inspire me. What's cool about all of these instruments is they have songs in them, they have melodies in them, they have music in them. And so I'm a collector of sorts, but I'm also a player. So I'm taking these things that oftentimes would wind up in a glass case and never be heard again, and I'm letting them continue to livet letting them continue to do what they were intended to do, was to make music. And so I can't think of anything I could have done wiser or smarter with my money. I get to write them off my taxes and they appreciate value. And there's no risk, you know, unless the guitar market tank someday, which it never really has, and I don't know that it ever will.
Speaker 1: So what are you on the lookout for now? I have no clue. Just it just shows up.
Speaker 2: And there's a bunch of these cats around the country that that know me and know what I like to buy and this, and that they find me so I don't have to look real hard. They come knocking on my email very very frequently.
Speaker 1: And are you like a Gibson or a Fender guy or your.
Speaker 2: Dem all of the above, Gibbs, Gibson, Fender, Martin, you name it. There's so many great makers, Gretch, you know, tons of great stuff, you know, and some of this stuff is over one hundred years old that I've collected, and you know, they're just they're beautiful. There's just something magical about an instrument that you can buy something that you can make a joyful noise on. You know, they're special.
Speaker 1: So everyone is different. But what are your three to five go tos?
Speaker 2: I have a white Fender telecaster that I bought in nineteen seventy eight. It's the first Fender guitar I think I ever bought, and I didn't pay very much money for it. I got it for four hundred and fifty dollars.
Speaker 1: Did you buy it newer? Use? Now? I bought it used? So what year I mean because CBS bought in the middle of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in the late sixties they bought the Fender company. This was nineteen fifty three when they first started making instruments. In nineteen fifty I think, is when they started making guitars. And you know, I just I got a love for him. And if what's interesting about is an instrument is it will inspire you to play it the way it wants to be played. You can't just force yourself on an instrument. You have to let it do what it wants to do.
Speaker 1: Too. There's a there's a neat balance in that. Okay, that's the way telecaster? What else?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm Martin D twenty eight that was made in nineteen forty two. When I moved away from home, I had a newer Martin that was okay, it wasn't great. And when I moved away from home, moved to Louisville. I wanted an old, pre war Martin guitar because that's what all self respecting bluegrass players wanted to play. And I found this guitar at a bluegrass festival. And I'm eighteen and I found this guitar, and in nineteen seventy five, it was twenty five hundred dollars. I had a big sign on the side of the case and that was top of the mark in that it would have been by a mile. And I asked the guy, I said, man, can I see that guitar, because can you afford it? I said, probably not, that's sure, like to see it. Opened the case up. It was beautiful condition, and it was made nineteen forty twos. It was thirty thirty three years old at that point. And I said, was you consider a trade, because not an even trade, but if you'll give me your guitar and give me sixteen hundred and fifty bucks, I'll trade you. I said, okay. So I wrote him a check for sixteen hundred and fifty bucks. And that was all the money I'd saved from all my gigs, my college fund, everything i'd save for my future. I spent on that guitar. And I told you earlier. My I rent was fifteen dollars a month, so I wrote him a check. I was dead broke, had no money, but I only had to pay fifteen bucks a month, and I could make a couple hundred bucks when I got when the band worked, and so I said, I'll be all right. So I started out dead broke, and I had a great pre war instrument that I still have to this day. And that's a precious My first one. I told you about my Gibson three thirty five and I got when I was ten, is precious, sentimental everge. When I was, you know, nineteen twenty twenty one, i'd occasionally call my old man say I'm thinking about trading my red guitar in on something. He goes, son, don't ever get rid of your first guitar. You can never replace your first guitar. So he always talked me into keeping it. I'm gratefully, did it means everything to me?
Speaker 1: Okay, couple more, A couple more.
Speaker 2: I got a a less Paul, a sunburst less Paul from nineteen fifty nine. Wow, that was my ex brother in laws. I was married the first time my wife had a sister that was married to this guy, Leonard Arnold, Texas guitar player, and he'd had this guitar since nineteen sixty eight and I'd never bought one of the Sunburst less balls. Those were the highest mark of the marks for guitars that you could buy, and they were a lot of money, and I'd never bought one. I didn't play a last ball much. And then he called me some years ago and he said, man, I just got bad news. I got cancer and I'm not going to make it. Will you buy my Burst? And I said, of course I will. I said, if you'll take it down to George or somebody George grew and as a vintaged guitar shop down, have him praise it. I'll pay you whatever he praises it for. So he praised it, and I gave him the money. And because I bought that guitar from him, he was able to save his house for my first wife's sister and they were okay, you know, and he since passed. But what was cool about that guitar was when he was in California, he was in a band called Blue Steel, and one of the guys in Blue Steel was a guy named Richard Bowden who was Don Henley's best friend growing up, first music friend, I think Don had. They played together in that band called Shiloh, and so they were going to open some shows for the Eagles when they did the Long Run Tour in nineteen eighty and Leonard played that guitar with the Eagles back then, and so I bought it and I got to play it with the Eagles again, you know, a million years later, same guitar, and so that's kind of pretty neat history and sentimental kind of attachment to it. And my gosh, I bought up an old strata Fender stratocaster from nineteen fifty nine that was Duayne Eddies brand new Wow. And he bought it brand new and never played it. He never found his way around to playing a Fender stratocaster, and so he gave it to his son, and his son played it for his whole life and sold it to me about fifteen twenty years ago. And it's my favorite strat I have plenty of stratocasters, this is the one that speaks the most, and I play the most on records and when I play live.
Speaker 1: Okay, if you go back to the old era fifty sixty seventies, even into the eighties, it could have the same model name on it and each instrument sounded different. Sure is that still the same with the modern instruments. I think so.
Speaker 2: I think every instrument is its own, you know, and you can same guy can make the same instrum, but it's always going to be a different piece of wood, you know. It's it's never going to be the same. So they all go together different, they all play different, they all sound different. It's the same make and model and all the same parts. And you think an electric guitar just would sound like an electric guitar, but they don't, you know, they really sound different. Acoustically. I always can tell a lot about an electric guitar hearing it acoustically, whether it has any life in it or not. Well, it will always transfer. If it has life in it acoustically, it will electrically too. And so, you know, looking for all those kinds of things, neck profiles, neck size, playability, all those kinds of things are paramount and finding old instruments, they're not all great. That's the beauty of it. Just because something old is some something is old doesn't mean it's great, And there were plenty of times that tar makers missed, you know, maybe the piece of wood was dead, or maybe the guy was high when he made it, or who knows what, you know, and it's all it's all part of it, you know. But like I said earlier, I never I never picked up something that I didn't like the way it played and sang, just because it might have been a good deal or a good price for.
Speaker 1: Something or what have you. And what about amps? Same thing?
Speaker 2: You know, they're all they all look alike, they all got tubes in them, They all, you know, do the same thing, but they all sound different, you know, and you're you're It's what's fun is there's a constant search to sound better, and it never stops. I still buy old amps to this day. I still try different settings. I try different amps, I try different guitars. I love to experiment. When you find a great combination of a great amp and a great guitar, many they work in. Yeah, I've got. I don't have as many apps as I do guitars, but I don't think I need quite as many apps as I do guitars.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's talk about the Eagles for a second they put out The Long Road Out of Eat in two thousand and seven, Don put out Cast County I Be Lievest twenty fourteen. There hasn't been any new Eagles material. Joe's done some stuff. I'm making a general point. It's really not about the Eagles. A lot of those bands have ceased putting out new material, many because they know the marketplace has changed, and even if they put out something as good as their class era, it's almost impossible to have those same level of success in recognition as someone who's there contemporary? Is it hard to get motivated? Like you're putting out these EPs? Turn them motivated to do new material because inherently, you know, the odds of being as successful is even your stiff material are really.
Speaker 2: Long and Neil, Yeah, of course I do. But you know, I just keep telling myself that's that's not the reason I ever did it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: The reason I did it is because of what it spoke to me inside of me, and I will I will never quit trying to make music unless I start weising like a like an old woman or something. Someday I might, but until that day, I'm gonna I guess I'm doing it for me, you know, and if anybody wants to come along, I'm grateful, you know. I tell people now when I go play live on my own shows, I go, look, I'm going to play for a long time because I love it. And I think that if you're paying as much as you are for a ticket, you ought to get as much as you can stand. And I want to play for a long time. If you want to leave, You're not going to hurt my feelings. I said, I'm going to play for a good while regardless, and I just.
Speaker 1: Think that I keep that in the forefront of my mind. I don't you know.
Speaker 2: I heard Kenny Rogers say something one time that really just took me down. Thought it was so cool and so so important, and he hadn't made a new record in years and years and years and years, and somebody asked him, I said, you've made a new record, and Kenny said, yeah, yeah, I got that. I wanted to make a new record. And he goes the interviewer said, are you hoping it's successful? And Kenny smiled and he goes, no, no.
Speaker 1: Not really.
Speaker 2: He said, I've had records that have been successful. He said, what I want this record to be is significant, and I just went, wow, there's my marching orders.
Speaker 1: Those are my marching orders. So that's just me. Okay, you have the marching order on your way up. You know you have a hunger. You want to prove yourself. We talked about, you know, playing golf, etc. Can you get yourself in that same headspace recording today?
Speaker 2: I think so, you know, and once again you know the the real truth is. And I don't It sounds arrogant almost to say, but I'm doing it for me. So I'm doing it to move me first, and I feel like if I can't move me, then I can't move you. I can't move anybody else. So that's where it has to That's where it kind of all begins and ends for me, is I'm doing this for my love of it, and whoever comes along come home if you want too, fine, but you're not. It's not going to deter me from wanting to do it, you know.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you've put out six of these EPs. I think at this point in time, what's the experience been.
Speaker 2: You know, I've I mean, would I love to see it blow up and so many as the records? Of course I would, But I know that's not realistic. And you want any time you do this, whether it's making a record or playing a gig, you just want somebody to respond. And that's all that they're that's all that you're hoping for. Somebody hears it, and somebody is taking a story that you've written and go, Man, that pertains to my life. You've you've helped me get through a hard time. You've helped me get through a struggle, you know, And that's that's a powerful feeling. If you can have an impact on somebody's life in a way that's profound.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can have a fun song, everybody likes it, sings along, but if you really you know, the one song I think that I probably will be most known for in my life is go Rest high on that mountain. It's been sung at so many services and funerals and memorials and whatnot. And what I know that it's done, what I'm grateful for is that it's helped somebody get through a hard time. If you get to do that, that's there's no better feeling, I don't think than that.
Speaker 1: Okay, in the old days, I say there was a huge separation between the people on stage and the people in the crowd today. I mean, I can't believe it. I saw Van Morrison on TikTok, never mind Todd Rungrin and other people. Okay, so yes, in the old days, there would be points where people in the community radio, maybe play a gig, would talk about it would respond to what degree is a result of modern communications methods? Do you get the response directly from the audience? Oh?
Speaker 2: Just think in the moment you get the response from an audience. You can't from them finding you on Instagram or TikToker, Facebook or wherever they find YouTube or whatever. All the formats are. I tell people all the time, I said, trust me, little Jimmy Dickens would have been on American Idol had it been there in nineteen forty eight. You know, everybody's just still trying to find the way to communicate, the way to connect. You know, it's what we were meant to do as people, as a race is you know, that's the best feeling in the world is connection. And however the format is that you find a way to connect that to me is not is irrelevant, you know, And so I'm not up there posting stuff about me all the time, but the office is so I'm still a part of it, you know, even though I'm not the one doing it, and I'm sure Van is not the one recording the video whatever he is.
Speaker 1: Well, well, you know, I don't know. He's probably not posting it, but it's him talking into the screen fair enough. But he's probably getting some help, I know, I right, Well, even Trump probably gets some help. So to what degree do you feel? I mean, because authenticity and credibility rule. It's one thing to take you have someone take care of the process, but there are companies that basically the acts are pretty much removed. They're saying, you know, these are the tour dates, this is this is what they did. So to what degree if someone follows you, are they going to really know you?
Speaker 2: Well, they have to know that I've never posted a word on any social media platform on earth and never will. I'm not responding to them if they send me a PM.
Speaker 1: Is that what you call it? Private message? Or so?
Speaker 2: I don't even know what all those things are. But I've sadly had people get scammed saying to someone that it was me posing as me saying they want to have a relationship with me, and blah blah blah, and and built them out of money. And I've seen them do that, you know. And once again, technology for the wrong reason is the wrong reason, and it's it's not it's a pretty good stain on on how we treat each other sometimes, But.
Speaker 1: Once I just.
Speaker 2: It's the it's the way of today, and you kind of have to conform or or check out, you know, and I.
Speaker 1: Have a checking out. You have this great skill and you're a songwriter. Let's just assume you were to perform the song live or a snippet a song live. What would be wrong with posting it on these sites? Well? Nothing.
Speaker 2: You know. What's interesting though, is we talked earlier about how to how to get paid for stuff. Everybody's allowed to record me playing and singing and post it and find a way to earn income from it from getting likes and advertising and whatnot. However that works, I'm not saying I know. But wait, wait wait, wait, wait wait, you're taking what I'm doing. Wait wait wait, and you're gonna make money for Wait.
Speaker 1: If whatever you're doing is so hot that people want to repost it, et cetera, and they may make money, that means you're gonna make money because your song is going to be more famous. Let's give an example of the person who posted the Fleetwood Mac song to the guy skateboarding Okay, Fleetwood Mac made a lot of money even though the person who even though they didn't post it, and now everybody knows the song. Same thing with the Goo Goo dolls. Iris. So you're putting out seventy songs, why don't you help yourself? Well, I'm doing all I know how to do well. This is yeah, this is I'm gonna go. This is not a heavy lift. You have children, and you have people on the payroll for you to play one of these new songs or half of the song and say something about it. I mean, you could do this shit on your four k iPhone okay, and then you know. But the thing about okay, let me let me put it differently. If we're going on okay, there's this mozart pianist not my area of expertise, Meetsuko Ucheetah and she was writing and they did an article on her newsweek, the old news week before the Internet, and she said, I tell my students to practice really hard and trying to be great because there's very few great things out there, and if you're great, people will find you. Now we know in today's cacoph inist world that's harder. But people are surfing all yourself included, all day long, looking for something great that they can tell people about. If you're not in the pool, they can't tell. Yeah, your songs are on Spotify, okay, but the odds of someone finding it. They say, Oh, I'm a Vince Gill fan. Let me see what Vince is doing, as opposed to someone saying I'm at stage coach in my cowboy boots. You know, there's a million acts here. You know, Vince Gill. I don't care how good he is. He might as well be living in Oklahoma. You know, all I know is what I know, and you don't have to do it. All I'm trying to say is, since you were promoting new music, what's that You're like the king of jokes? You know, you know the one that the punchline is, do me a favor, buy a ticket, that legendary joke. If you can't buy the ticket, whatever, I'm putting a seat in your mind. Do whatever you want, But let me ask you this question.
Speaker 2: Then if you think, do you think that by someone recording my concert, taking it home and probably less inclined to go buy a record because they have it on their little phone.
Speaker 1: That's not even the way it works anymore. A. They don't buy a they don't buy the record. There, you're right. B. The person who's shooting the video paid to see you and is a fan. Those people are going to check out the material on Spotify, your entire catalog. What do we know? Older demos tend to be more passive when it comes to streaming. I'm I could go down that rabbit hole, but you're telling me that, really the music hasn't change and you've gotten better. So what are the odds someone who's never heard of Vince Gil is going to catch on? Not the Internet era but the doors we've the led Zeppelin rebible. Do people under the age of twenty five know who forget? How good or bad you are? Do they know Vin Skill's new music? Do they know any vins Skill music? Probably not?
Speaker 2: But what they what I think they're all looking for is the authenticity that you spoke of earlier, and I think they can recognize it. They can recognize the things that that are real, you know, like take Chris Stapleton, for example, when he opens his mouth, you go game over. That's as good as singing as you're ever going to hear in your life. And hopefully the same thing rings true for me. When I open my mouth and I start singing. They they understand that that's authentic, you know, And I think, well, I guess what everybody is.
Speaker 1: I couldn't agree more, but all I will say is the paradigm is completely shifted. It's just like you were stiff for that hundred bucks. You're a musician. I guarantee you there's a lot of money you rode that you never got paid. Okay, and look at the status you have now. So you can't enter this saying well, someone's gonna make money off of me. Let's talk Don for a second. Okay, you'll know this song the Beatles, Yes it is, Okay, you know the song. I never liked that song. Okay. Don Henley did a live version. It's spectacular, okay, and it was on Spotify because it's part of the Bridge concert thing. I wrote about it. Don said, Don had it take him down. Okay. I don't want to get really, but I'm telling you that version was better than the Beatles, he slowed it down. It wasn't quite a cappella whatever. Now he's got a lot of other avenues he's in, and he hasn't released any new music recently. So all I'm trying to say is you believe in these songs. There are ways today to give those songs a chance, because most of the stuff sucks. You know, listen, we don't know. There's no gatekeepers anymore. Right. But the other thing is, I'm sure you could tell me incredible tales of practicing your guitar as a teenager. So I was in my room for three hours. I was dropping the needle. I was slowing it to you know, to slower speed the forty five to thirty three. Figure out those licks just alone. Okay, today's kids, most of them don't do that. They're busy promoting themselves, and therefore there are exceptions. Of course, most of them don't have the skills you have. In addition, you come from an era we had to be able to sing. I get an email all the time people say, you know, listen to me. It's like, well, maybe you could be the guitar player, but you know you're then the say Bob Dylan. I said, well, Bob Dylan's the best lyricist of all time. If you were that good, we would recognize it. Yeah, I'm gonna leave in it there as I say, because I think I mean. The funny thing in this particular case, unlike most people, is you are surfing on your phone, so you know the magic I do.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm I'm always looking for something, and you know the when young people call me and say, hey, what would you do if A B and C happens? And I says, look, my way is gone.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know that I that my my words of wisdom would be relevant today because of the way that it works. And that's what I That's what I know is how it worked for me and how I had to do it to get to where I got. And now it's foreign. You know, all of this is pretty foreign to me. So I think it's as much about probably me being insecure of how to find my way out there. I'm just doing the best I can and trying to take a take a page from the folks that are are about it. So I'm in the middle of it and I'm just trying to do what I know how to do, which is write a song, play a song, and sing a song, and however it finds its way. And even if I don't get paid, you know, that's out of my out of my hands.
Speaker 1: It's okay.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm still going to do it because that's not the reason I'm doing it in the first place. And I just I will never not want to be creative, never not want to be reaching out and trying to inspire somebody to like something.
Speaker 1: So someone comes to see you live. In your coming dates, will you play any Eagles songs?
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, No, I don't think it's my place, you know. I I tell people, I said, I had not one note to do with the music of that band, an recordings any of the songs, So I can't with a straight face lay any claim to that. I said, Yeah, I got to play with him for ten years and sing some of those songs, but I don't think it. I don't think it looks good, you know. And I mean when I first started, I'll tell you this story. You may have heard it, but we were doing that first show at Dodger Stadium, which you went to, and I was singing a song of mine called Whenever You come around at soundcheck and Don came over to me. He said, what is that song? I said, it was a song of mine that I put out, you know, twenty something years ago, twenty five years ago. It was a big hit for me, and he goes, can we work it up and do it? I said, Don, with all due respect, I said I'd rather not, And he said why. I said, Look, what I'm getting ready to do isn't going to be easy, and I don't want to give these people one more reason to not like me. I don't want anybody out there saying I didn't come here to hear Vince Gill songs. I came here to hear Ego songs. So that was kind of how this all started. And all these years later, I don't feel like I I should lay claim to sing any of those songs. And if I tell people the real reason, I said, look, I just don't think it's my place. I think they're okay with it, you know, But my ego is such that I don't I don't need to flaunt the fact that I got to do this for the past ten years. I'm grateful and lucky and all that. But Don told me, he said, oh, I really respect you for that, you know, so you.
Speaker 1: Know, you know, this is just like with what's his name, Park Knoppler, you know who you are? I kind of do. I'm pretty comfy in my own skin. And who's the best rock guitarist all of them? No such thing. Let's leave clappting out and Joe Walsh out because of personal relationships. Where does that leave us? Jeff Beck's pretty bad ass? Well, that's what I say, Jeff Beck is the best.
Speaker 2: But it's like what you like and what I don't like don't have to mesh, you know. And for when they say who's the best singer? You go, who do you like? That's all that matters. Why is it who's the best NBA player of all time? They go with that, It is it Lebron? Is it Michael Jordan? I go, they're both just great? Why can't it be that?
Speaker 1: You know, that's an interesting one since they're playing in the Lebron's in the play because the style of play is so different. Lebron's a great player, but you're watching Michael Jordan. I guess you know. The reason I even make a choice here is because people tend to default to the usual suspects Clapton and Hendrix. Sure, and not that they're not great, but you know Beck was even you know, playing with his fingers, et cetera. Okay, we've I've beaten you up enough. I don't why you're throwing your clubs at me.
Speaker 2: Thanks for letting me do this. I think you're going to talk to my wife Amy here in a week or so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know, it's uh coming up. It'll be interesting because her manager reached out with you know, a lot of new technology stuff. You're living under the same house. Oh, I'll be interesting the same route, interesting to hear what she has to say. Let me ask you, since we know your your wife has famously made religious music, is that something that is inside the house or is that her identity and you have your identity.
Speaker 2: Well, I think I think that people assume I'm like her because we're married. But I didn't grow up in a church going community or family or any of that, and so we're probably a good bit different that way. But what we are is kind, you know, to each other, and respectful of you.
Speaker 1: She's taken.
Speaker 2: She went and made pop records, you know, after she'd had a great, great run in the Christian music world and got lambasted for a lot and got lambastard for marrying me. She's She's taken all of that criticism better than anybody I've ever seen in my life. It's magic, magical to watch her respond to so much of that. And you're gonna you're gonna enjoy getting to talk to her.
Speaker 1: Okay, just to build one more, because you know you brought up so many loose threads that I'm interested in Stapleton. Stapleton wins all the awards. Everybody in Nashville thinks he's the greatest. How come the rest of country music is not like kid?
Speaker 2: I don't I don't know that I believe that. You think you don't think country music likes Chris Stapleton.
Speaker 1: No, I said the opposite. They they think he's the greatest. Whenever they have awards, he always just like it, a Entertainer of the Year whatever, blah blah blah. But the rest of what's you know and hit country music doesn't sound anything else like that.
Speaker 2: No, you're right, but it it kind of never has, you know. And the thing with the I learned in all my years of award shows, oftentimes people will really vote with who they think might be the best singer and not who's the most popular. You know, the Grammys have been that way. I won a lot of Grammys, but there were a lot of artists that sold way more records than me, way more popular than me, and all that kind of stuff. But you get there and you go, hey, there's five guys. I like that guy singing the best. You can't there's nothing you can do about that. You know, he's pretty tough to beat. And I you know, i'd win a male vocalist up against some of the guys that would sell out arenas, and I couldn't come close to doing what they did, but people thought I was better, So I just part of it.
Speaker 1: You can't.
Speaker 2: I don't know how you can figure any of that stuff out. But he's pretty special, right, He's.
Speaker 1: A shining light in a ever changing world. You know. Tom Petty not the last tour, but before that, he played for a week at the Fonda. I went a couple of nights and one night said I'm gonna play a country song. He says, no, no, no, no, not today's country song. And he played something I can't remember who it was, and he goes today's country music is the rock of the seventies. And right, that's right, that's fair. But the other thing is, you know, I think people are catching on. It is so big and the artists are so much bigger than the people in the Spotify Top fifty. And you know, it's interesting because the media is still living in a past world. It's like Morgan Wallen, whether you feel good about him or not, Morgan Wallan screams much better than Taylor Swift and they all hate him. But you know, in country music or just you know, Morgan Wallen is by far the bigest artists on Spotify in streaming. According to Luminit, which is what they call sound scan now, Morgan Wallen far exceeds Taylor Swift in America. But that would be shocking. Well that's true. I could bring up the report because reports available there everybody, but I know it's a case. So you have half the country. He says Morgan Wallen was drunk and use the end word. We're never going to forgive them. And then everybody's saying how great Taylor Swift is. Whatever it is, Morganwallen is bigger. But I'll leave it there. I got love for both of them. Well, tell you my one golf story and then I'm gonna go. Okay, I played as a kid. My mother was really into it. Let me be very clear. I was never good, never good, and I'm not. You know, there are things I'm good at. This is not one of them. And then in the eighties when there became a new golf boom in the last half of the eighties, and a lot of people in business wanted to play to you know, to get into it. And you know better than any of these people. You could take it as seriously as you want. You're never gonna play like the people in the PGA. Now you could go into the trap. You can practice whatever it's.
Speaker 2: In the one or two percentile of people that play the game that ever get that good of all the players.
Speaker 1: I'm playing at a public course and the athol it's a public course, you know it is. So you got the people on the green who are not letting us on. On the part three it's an elevated t You got r foursome, you got the other foursome backed up, and you get the foursome coming off the seventh hole. Okay, I happened to hit a beautiful golf shot. Not that you have to achieve this to do this, but Wall landed like twelve feet from the pin, goes right in. Now there's like all these people there freaking out. Also, the green was at an angle and you know, so you can see it go right in. And my friend said, oh, we got to check. We gotta make sure it gets in there. And it's like it's inherently a lucky shot. I've only played golf once since then. It's like, you want to take it that seriously. I'm out. I did the impossible right, Okay, Vince, thanks for taking this time with my audience. You gotta buddy till next time. This is Bob leftstas