Speaker 1: Hey there, fan Ritos, Welcome back to a brand new episode of How Rude Tanarritos. Today, we have a guest you've all been waiting for. It's Taj Maurie. You know him as Teddy, the lovable and very honest best friend we all wanted to have in kindergarten and his success on Full House was just the beginning. We're going to get into everything today, from Full House to Kim Possible, and yes, even the Muppets mayhem, much to Jody's delight.
Speaker 2: Definitely the Muppets.
Speaker 1: We can't wait to talk to Taj, so let's bring him in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, go like, god, hi ToJ.
Speaker 1: Reunited.
Speaker 2: So good?
Speaker 3: Whoa how so good to see you too. You look amazing you so do you?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is like the benefits of doing the show is we get to see people that we know.
Speaker 3: It's really it's a beautiful thing. It's so wonderful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, your smile, you there you go, oh all.
Speaker 4: Of that gushing and you oh you guys walk amazing you guys.
Speaker 3: You really look the same, you love the same.
Speaker 1: Well you look the same but better like you were five years old. And yes, yes, ray.
Speaker 3: Thank you guys.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, you're joining us. We're just thrilled that you're here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we just jumped right into the interview, so we're just yeah. So you know, like there's no we don't do like an official We.
Speaker 3: Just yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, because fans love to hear, like the first reaction when we.
Speaker 3: All see each other, that was.
Speaker 1: Right there, you are the winner, the best on a zoom entrance.
Speaker 3: I'll take it. I'll take it true.
Speaker 4: But you know what, I feel like, you like were you were such a part of the show for being Michelle's friend for so long, and like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just like.
Speaker 4: I I love bringing back people and like you were the younger generation, just a little bit younger than me, and like bringing back people that are like that was such a part of my childhood and like I remember it like on the behind the scenes stuff is just it's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we haven't seen each other in so long.
Speaker 3: I feel like.
Speaker 5: I've seen I feel like, out of everyone, I've seen, you guys the lead because I see I've seen other people at you know, award shows or advents.
Speaker 3: Or stuff like that. And so that's why my reaction was so light.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, I have been avoiding sometime now it's been intentional.
Speaker 2: I just I feel like we should address it. Uh yeah, the pod.
Speaker 4: Yes, Oh god, I just I what I remember is, uh, you coming to set and your sister's coming with you, and they.
Speaker 3: Were my age.
Speaker 4: So I was always stoked because I was like, yes, finally some people mine age to hang out with.
Speaker 2: And the three of us just kicked it like we.
Speaker 4: Just hung out and you know, and like, yeah, it was just like your whole family was you know.
Speaker 3: It was Yeah, I love like.
Speaker 1: Your parents, like the whole past. You guys were the whole package. You're feeling so nice, yeah, so kind, just so down to earth and wonderful to have on set.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Yes, Now, I mean you, I think you and I and Andrew have all started in this business about the same time.
Speaker 2: You were like four around there around there, Yeah amazing. Andrew you were five, I was five. I was like four and a half.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're all.
Speaker 4: We're all old and we're all we're all we've been doing this time the days of Masa.
Speaker 3: No, but we it is like.
Speaker 4: It's crazy to think of all of the things that have happened sort of in between now and then. I mean, you major, you made your debut on Who's the Boss?
Speaker 3: Right, I did?
Speaker 2: I did remember that, Like do you remember?
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't. I feel like that that was my first show. I feel like the show.
Speaker 5: I did after that, which was how I got Full House, I remember more of more of and that was a show called Out All Night and Now with Patty LaBelle and Morris Chestnut and Via.
Speaker 2: I remember that show.
Speaker 5: And that's how I think Jeff had saw me on that, and then that's how I got Full House and then so I remember more of that.
Speaker 3: But Who's the Boss, I don't.
Speaker 5: When I see it, I'm like, oh, okay, I think I remember the steps that I walked.
Speaker 3: Down right right, But like because I used to love.
Speaker 5: Like growing up on sets, and and I was mesmerized by the fact that you could go up a staircase but nothing was there.
Speaker 3: You know that.
Speaker 4: It amount of people that go that are surprised when they come to a set and they're like, wait, it's all on the same level, but you got up the stairs right, and you're like, that doesn't funny enough.
Speaker 3: The Full House stairs. I will never forget.
Speaker 5: How hyped I was the first time I got to, you know, do a scene and go up there.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh, I'm a part of the show.
Speaker 6: Now, Yes, yes, I just loved it because that set, that living room set was so cool and so I'll never forget how amazed I was when I got to finally go up those stairs.
Speaker 1: The stairs were tall too, they were tall. They were tall. It was tall stairs with the land different landing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm sure I feel down them.
Speaker 4: At least one was a season.
Speaker 1: Well, they would try to put an adult up there, like if it was just kids waiting for an entrance after the stairs are they would try to put a p a or somebody there because Adria would be up there all off on the other side, or there'd be ladders or nails or all sorts of lights whatever, you know, so it could be it would you know, Yeah, splinters, yes.
Speaker 2: The seconds off camera, like if you don't see it, it looks it was just a show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: There's always like random half drink water bottles and the script.
Speaker 3: Yeah during dust.
Speaker 2: Swim through it. God, the memories.
Speaker 4: Well, House fans absolutely adore Utag. They loved you as Michelle's friend, so from the very beginning, like what made you want to become an actor?
Speaker 2: Like what was the thing that I was like, this is why I want to do it.
Speaker 5: I think it was just it was always fun for me to memorize lines and like become someone else, like and pretend, you know. And growing up my mom so I've been told I would watch commercials and then I would repeat the commercial and act the commercial.
Speaker 3: Back out, and she was like, we got to do something with this.
Speaker 5: Kid nowhere else. So yeah, it was just fun for me. And I'm so grateful because it's still fun for me.
Speaker 3: You know. It never became not fun.
Speaker 5: And I know that you know, that can happen to a lot of actors and kids who start so young they sort of grow out of love with it, but that never happened with me, and I'm just so grateful. But yeah, I just I just wanted to have fun and like pretend, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and your parents think about putting all three of their kids into the business. Were they intimidated by it? Were they go getters like we're gonna we're gonna make our kids start.
Speaker 2: Were your sisters doing it first and then you? Or was it you? And then they know it's actually we.
Speaker 5: Actually started around the same time because they actually guest starred on Full House one episode and then they ended up getting They got Sister Sister before I got Smart Guy. So I think a lot of people assume that it was like I started way later, but we're eight years apart, but we kind of started around the same time, which was just And yeah, my parents, I feel like, to answer your question, they were the best of both worlds. Like they were super supportive, but they weren't like stage parents in any way. And like I said, we liked what we were doing. We never felt forced, and I think that's why they put us in it, because they saw that like, oh they have something, and I think they like this, and we did. But my dad was in the military during it, so he my mom was usually the one.
Speaker 3: Taking us to our auditions and stuff.
Speaker 5: Like that, but he would do it also, you know, homework in the car, getting carsick, the audition because I can't read it in the car.
Speaker 3: But yeah, they were just.
Speaker 5: The best of both worlds, you know, super supportive, always kept it fun, great at running lines with us, you know what I mean. But also you know, from that military background, they taught us and instilled in us not only are our faith which is very important, but also just the hard work.
Speaker 3: You know, if you if you want to do this, you gotta work hard.
Speaker 5: You gotta know your lines, you gotta you gotta, you gotta perform, you gotta be on set and perform. But they also taught us how to separate it. So when we weren't on set, we weren't on set. We were just regular kids. And I think that sort of helped us stay somewhat normal.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think that's why you and your your family were such a great fit with the full house plan, because that was all of our moms too, incredibly supportive there every week, always taking us back and forth and whatever it took.
Speaker 2: But when we were.
Speaker 4: Off, we were off your kids, and they it was never like they wanted it more than we did. That it was like, as long as you are loving this great, if that changes, we'll like we'll figure it out, you know. And so yeah, I think we were really fortunate in that, Yes, we were fortunate in that regard that you know.
Speaker 2: It was it was something that we loved.
Speaker 4: Doing, and I think that's why that's why we still do it, because it was never something that was forced upon us or that was like a chore or something.
Speaker 5: You know right, it never felt that way, and my mom kind of just juk us for a while.
Speaker 3: She was managing all of us.
Speaker 4: I can picture your now by the way, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 5: But she jumped right into that and she just had this business knowledge that just you know, she just had it. And I'm very thankful for that because, you know, as an adult actor, I learned a lot. And because she stood up for us at such a young age. You know, I never had to really worry about not being taken care of on a set because you know, Mama Darlene, she don't play.
Speaker 3: So so yeah, I'm very I'm very thankful for both of my parents. Man, Oh my gosh, they're amazing.
Speaker 2: I definitely remember your parents being around on the set.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you were five when you started on Full House.
Speaker 4: Do you remember, I mean, do you remember your first day there? I mean again at five? Like, tell me about what you.
Speaker 2: Did on a random Tuesday thirty seven years ago, you know what I mean? You're like, oh, yes, with a lovely coffee.
Speaker 3: No, I don't know. I think I vaguely did it.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure if I really remember this or if it's just a name what I saw.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I remember certain scenes, so like I remember, and I don't know if it was like my first episode, but I feel like it might have been like Michelle and I talking about how she was doing her handwriting or something, and I feel like that might have been I was telling her she's got to cross her te's or daughter eyes or something like that, right, and I and I remember, I remember that scene, and I remember being in the classroom, and I remember, you know, scenes with Dave and U.
Speaker 3: And I remember very well anytime I got to go to like a new set, like I was talking about.
Speaker 5: The staircase, or like if we were in a car or like that was cool for me because I'm like, oh, I'm not in the classroom today, like I get to be somewhere up or in Michelle's room, you know. So I remember the little things, but yeah, I was so young. I remember school, being tutored with with the rest of the kids. And I remember when like Journey and Miko, I remember when it was all of us, because there were some episodes where it was, you know, the whole crew, and then there were some episodes where it was.
Speaker 3: Just me and Michelle, you know.
Speaker 5: So I remember very pretty vividly when it was like the whole crew because it was like, oh we got more kids.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was always the best when you were on a show, like for us, it was like hi, other people.
Speaker 3: My age yeah yeah yeah yeah, so it's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I remember. I remember that little.
Speaker 4: The little like group of you guys, oh my god, yeah kids.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: So those those little those little moments I remember, but I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't remember like what my first day on set was like or anything like that, because it's just like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, because you're still here.
Speaker 3: Love it. I love it. So yeah, little things, little things.
Speaker 1: Did you were you strictly tutored on set or like homeschool or did you go to regular school as well?
Speaker 3: So I think I was.
Speaker 5: This is not normal for for actors in general when they're kids, but I would only be tutored on set. So if I wasn't working, I would go back to my public school and I would be and I would be yeah. See So that's why that see, that's why that set was just so the full house set just felt like home. It felt safe because a lot of child actors don't do that. They're homeschool, they don't know what it's like to be around their peers, and then when they become an adult, it's like whoa, it's the what is this? What's life? And it can be hard. So I'm very thankful that my parents did it that way because I was in sports. You know, I had my friends at school. I didn't really have a lot of their friends per se. I didn't still to this day, my my my best friends are not in the business, and and that's how it's.
Speaker 3: Been for years.
Speaker 5: And of course I have, you know, lovely friends in this business, but my but my core group of people, they're they're not actors, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: They may be artists and other avenues.
Speaker 5: But but I think that really helped, you know, help me learn about what life is like outside of a set, which that did bring its complications because I would be gone and then come back and then kids, I remember middle school was the whole other thing because they were like, oh, you could leave whenever you want.
Speaker 4: I'm like, no, the changing dynamics, I know, like for girls, I mean, I'm not sure, but for girls, it was like you came back after being gone for three days, there were entirely this one and You're like, I thought we thought we were cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, no, that definitely happened, especially during the Smart Guy days, because that was middle school and middle schools not fun.
Speaker 3: Soddol.
Speaker 4: We all done middle school being on a TV show, I think we would definitely be like, yeah, no, that's middle school sucks.
Speaker 5: Anyway, I'll never forget. It was the first day of like see sixth grade. I had all the friends in the world, went to go shoot three episodes. A Smart Guy came back. Everyone hated me, and I was like, what is happening? And so those dynamics were hard, but I'm grateful for them because I was that kid that got made fun of at school. I was that kid that had to stand up for myself at school, and so I'm able to uh to have sympathy my mammy.
Speaker 3: I was able to grow in that way. So I'm grateful you.
Speaker 4: Give you a thicker stand where you're like, you know what you learn. I feel like you learned at a much younger age. In some way, You're you're forced to confront the ideas of uh, of being who you are versus being who people want you to be.
Speaker 2: So like, I think any kind.
Speaker 4: Of struggle with that question a little bit earlier because it's like wait a minute, like yeah, and I'm in seventh grade and you guys don't actually.
Speaker 5: And then learning learning how to discern who your real friends are and not just for like what you do you know, because I had to learn that like oh, you're on a TV show. Cool, I'll be your friend, but like are you really both friend?
Speaker 3: Though? Like you do you like me?
Speaker 6: Though?
Speaker 4: I can't imagine going through that today because it would all be about getting a picture with somebody or getting into their house and record you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like I don't know.
Speaker 4: It's hard enough then to be like I don't know, are you cool or not? Like now it's like no, I don't.
Speaker 3: Know how these kids do it now with social media. I don't know how.
Speaker 5: Like I I'm so grateful that we didn't have that because that would have been a whole other thing.
Speaker 2: Had enough hard enough, now, did you When you did smart guy?
Speaker 4: You did that from like ninety seven to ninety nine. Sure you're like exactly, yep, that was the years I could give you specific dates. But was it like super fun for you to play like this ten year old super genius kid?
Speaker 3: Was that?
Speaker 2: I mean again, you loved pretending yeah.
Speaker 3: It was cool. It was definitely.
Speaker 5: That was cool because that was my first experience with something being created around you, because that was something that we just went into the network and I just was taug and they were like, okay, we'll give you your shows, and so that was fun to know that, like, oh, this environment was sort of created around me.
Speaker 3: But I never felt the pressure of that.
Speaker 5: A lot of people ask that I never felt it because you know, the home life was great, so grateful for that. I always felt safe and looked after. But yeah, it was fun.
Speaker 3: I think the most challenging thing about that part.
Speaker 5: Was knowing the definition of the words that I was saying so that I could act it out properly, because I can't just be saying these words that I don't know what they mean. So you know, I had someone specifically on set that would be working with me with my lines to know, Okay, do you know what that word means?
Speaker 3: This is what this means?
Speaker 5: So and I'm like, okay, that might change how I how I how I say it, And.
Speaker 4: So that that was like a like a Siri before Syria, but you know what I mean, I light and look up the word.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, someone was like here's what that means.
Speaker 5: It was s at training before I even knew what SATs were. Uh, that's probably aging me too, because I don't even think they have SATs anymore.
Speaker 3: Anyway.
Speaker 2: They have a sixteen year old and she is yeah, she's taking it year.
Speaker 3: Yeah they do.
Speaker 4: But they for a while it was like optional, I think, post pandemic. And now they're like, no, maybe we need you should do it.
Speaker 3: You should do this. Who knows what's happening?
Speaker 1: Right, and now now it's digital like it used to be filling the circle and now it's not right.
Speaker 2: I can't I couldn't do it.
Speaker 3: I need to fill Oh my gosh. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So that was a whole thing for me because I had to know what I was saying and there I remember the dialogue. I think that trained me a lot, whether I realized it or not, of just like you know, big monologues of just words, because I would have to say these huge things and didn't know what.
Speaker 3: They know what they meant. So yeah, but it was fun for me. I loved it.
Speaker 2: Did it help you in school? Were you like, oh got it?
Speaker 3: Luckily?
Speaker 5: Not?
Speaker 3: Luckily?
Speaker 5: Unfortunately, it didn't help me in my SATs at all. I will, I will not be telling you that score.
Speaker 3: But it was not. It wasn't looking good. I think it helped me. Here's the thing.
Speaker 5: Because I grew up and have been in this industry for so long, memorization was never a problem for me. So in school I would always get good grades because I could just memorize.
Speaker 3: But when I got to college.
Speaker 5: That was different. It was like, oh, no, you don't really have homework. I just need you to have these fourteen novels done by the end of the semester.
Speaker 3: Right, but you don't have to come to class.
Speaker 4: And so I look at you know, your interpretation, and you're like, oh, no, no, no, I don't know, right, I don't know what this scanddron.
Speaker 2: Just give me a scan tron.
Speaker 3: So that was I remember, which is which is why I didn't. I didn't end up finishing college because it was just a little, a little too much for me.
Speaker 4: You know what school is like that kind of level, like academics are not it's not so many ways to be blessed and talented and creative like and some people test well on some people very smart don't test great.
Speaker 3: You know, yeah, it didn't, it didn't.
Speaker 5: It helped me in the memorization part, but not in the in the comprehension part of God.
Speaker 2: So you didn't actually take your SATs, although maybe you would like.
Speaker 3: To blame this.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, so young you know, did you really did you relate to Teddy? Like when you I mean, you know again, you're a kid and you basically play yourself.
Speaker 2: They're like, oh, you're kind of cute. Do more of that.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 5: I think the relatability of characters didn't come until Smart Guy because I was in every episode, so like, yeah, you would find you had more ways to find things that were similar.
Speaker 4: Yeah, as a kid on a guest star you're like, yeah, it's such No one knows how I felt.
Speaker 3: About some episodes ago is Teddy? You know again?
Speaker 5: So it was and you know also being young, so but I mean playing with your friends, you know, stuff like that at school, you know stuff like that. Yeah, but like I think on a deeper level that you know, as an adult actor, you look you look more into No, I didn't really have a sense of of that.
Speaker 3: I was just like, oh, this is the line you want me to read? Cool?
Speaker 2: Right, I mean that's yeah.
Speaker 4: Child acting is very much like a lot of memorization, you know, like can you stand there and long after you're like, this is super exciting and do your exactly.
Speaker 2: For many child actors, it's so great to hear that you had a good experience, though. I just love that makes me very happy.
Speaker 1: Was it confusing at your age to see the Olsen twins switching off the role of Michelle. Was that easy to understand or were you kind of thrown back?
Speaker 5: I think obviously my sisters are twins, so in that aspect, I was like, oh, okay, yeah that makes sense.
Speaker 3: There's two of them. They split the work like, so like I understood that. I was never like huh, like you know what I mean. I was just like, oh, okay, right, but yeah, I've never been asked that question before.
Speaker 5: I wonder It's like, I wish I could go back into my thinking the first time I saw.
Speaker 3: That happen, and I wonder exactly what I was thinking.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I think having twins sisters at home kind of like I don't know, it made it make more sense to me maybe.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, yeah, you were like, oh yeah obviously they.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, yeah, yeah, you could understand it on a basic level. Right, I'm sure that I you don't understand. Oh well, child labor laun hours so we have twins and you don't need to get into the weeds on.
Speaker 3: It also made it fun for me because you know, I would get to instead.
Speaker 5: You know, when you're watching the show, Teddy has one scene partner, Michelle, but in real life, I got.
Speaker 3: To have two scene partners and they were right.
Speaker 5: You know, they're two different people, so we had different relationships, you know.
Speaker 4: So I was like and then there was always someone your age to hang out with because you know, if you weren't in a scene, Ashley or Mary Kate would be there to you know, you're.
Speaker 5: Right, So yeah, in that sense, it was it was cool because I got like, you know, I got to I got to have two scene partners like.
Speaker 4: In the in the day, right, did you guys did you spend like a lot of time I'm with any of the kids from the show, like that little crew outside.
Speaker 5: Of oh, I feel I think I would see Journey the most. I think, yeah, I say, out of everyone, I would see Journey the most. I've talked to Miko like online as an adult, which was just so cool.
Speaker 3: When we've when we uh, you know, found each other on Instagram and and all that.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I'd say growing up, I would mostly see Journey the most because she had such a has such a big family and yeah, yeah, and they were all in the business so like so it was mine. So it was just like a little connection there.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 4: I have to ask you something because I have a great love for the Muppets, Like it's it's usually if we do like a stupid thing where we're.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, let's recast you know this episode, who would you pick?
Speaker 4: I'm always like, I can't think of actors, but I can tell you the entire cast of the Muppets, So the Muppets mayhem take the floor, tell us about it. How did you wind up doing that? It's always fun because it's I want to be.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's all.
Speaker 5: There's very There's not a lot of things that are better than talking about my experience on that show with a fan of the Muppets, because it was just, hands down one of the best things I've ever got to be a part of. There was never not a joyous moment on that set because everyone wants to be there. Everyone wants to be there, and it also blows your mind at the production value of it, because I don't think people realize that every shot that involves a muppet is a visual effect shot. So it takes it takes time, and it's very meticulous. These these these muppets, and they're real people. Jody, there are real Okay, yes you appreciate this, so will you Andrea. But you know, the most saddening thing on set was when after a take the muppet would go down because you you you're in this scene with this character and they're talking to.
Speaker 3: You, you're talking to them, You're reacting with this character, right, and then the scene ends and they just The first time I saw it, I was like, yo, animal, where'd you go? Someone?
Speaker 5: But are our cast the muppet performers, They're They're incredible. They do the puppeteering and the voice.
Speaker 2: Well, this wraps up part one of our interview with Taj Moury.
Speaker 4: If you didn't already love them as Teddy, there's no doubt that he just when you over with this interview, because I remember him as lovely and sweet and wonderful, but I think he has even become more lovely and sweet and wonderful.
Speaker 2: And we have so much to talk about. Still, we absolutely loved having.
Speaker 4: Him on the podcast, so we will be continuing this interview in part two, airing this Friday. You don't want to miss it, so make sure and tune in in the meantime. We love you, Fana Rito's. Check out our merch site, Howard Merch, Follow us on Instagram at Howard Podcast, send us an email, you know what else, keep in touch with us.
Speaker 2: We love you guys, and remember the world is small. The house is full of muppets. Much kind to my delight, much just overflowing with muppets. Yep, we gotta get you.
Speaker 1: We got to get you on a show, a movie, something.
Speaker 4: We got to get you with me go wear a sandwich board outside of Muppets studios.
Speaker 3: That would probably be effective.