Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Cavino and Rich and for the Great Dan Patrick.
Speaker 3: Day one of the Dan Patrick Hatrick Live from Mercedes Benz Studios.
Speaker 2: I'm Steve Cavino. That is Rich Davis. Good morning. I hope you had a.
Speaker 3: Great Valent Times weekend, Bopy, Hope you enjoyed some Russell stovers. Hope you enjoyed the NBA All Star Game? Was it SNL or Cobra kai that overshadowed the everything NBA All Star Game. We're taking your calls and your feedback now on Rich's NBA analogy. He's basically saying that there's no blueprint on what works and what doesn't work. But I hope you had a nice weekend of Steph Curry sort of weekend. He got the MVP, his second All Star Game MVP. The OG's got the win. We'll play some Shack Diesel trivia. But you want to explain again, Rich, Yeah, I mean it's evident that.
Speaker 4: In generally we like to think that we could tell people what they're interested in, what they like, what they gravitate towards networks.
Speaker 2: Do it.
Speaker 4: Podcasts, do it TV shows, movies, there's a sentiment that, oh, we know what the public wants, But a lot of times the public just tells you what they want. You can try to push a new artist, a new athlete, a new face of a company on the general public, but they could very well just be like, now, we don't like that, we like that. It's like the famous story of Happy Days. Fansie wasn't supposed to be the main character How I Met your Mother? It wasn't supposed to be about Barney Stinson.
Speaker 2: Did I do that?
Speaker 3: Tory Nichols wasn't supposed to be anything more than a quick cameo on Cobra Kai.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that same category as Fani.
Speaker 3: It's more relevant than Henry Winkler, even though I love him. I'm just saying the season premiere just wrapped up Tory. He's the main character of Cobra Kai.
Speaker 4: But it just shows you that, you know, like I said, Erkele Phonsie, these are not design the public decided. So you could say these are the new faces of our sport. But if the public doesn't gravitate towards them, if you, as the average NBA fan, what matchup you'd want in the NBA?
Speaker 2: Most people would say.
Speaker 4: Hold on, no, maybe like the Warriors are the Lakers because they're still hung up on Steph and Lebron and those older faces.
Speaker 3: I think, you know, I think if you're asking why is this because your point is valid. I think everybody and everything goes through transitional ups and downs, like transitional phases. We I think we were a little spoiled in the NFL, like when we got all these slew of new quarterbacks that made the transition easier. He's like, whoa wait a second, all these dudes are really good. I mean, we take guys and you embrace the new guys immediately. We say goodbye to.
Speaker 4: Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and you know, Drew Brees and that crew of quarterbacks. But we also welcomed in Burrow Jackson, Josh Allen, like Jalen hurts that.
Speaker 3: So it's like the holidays when you're grown up. Remember when you were a kid, how great the holidays seemed. Then everybody grew up and no one had kids yet, so the holidays seemed boring because you were going through that transitional stage of life and family. All of a sudden, your sister started having kids, and there was kids back in the mix and the holidays got exciting again. You're like, oh, wow, their holidays are brack. I guess now we just got through that transitional stage. And maybe the NBA, well, all the changes they're making and all the changes they're forced to make, and thinking about the way the game has changed with three points and it's become boring, and Silver's trying to forg you out, well, how do we fix it? And a new format for the All Star Game. All these things are a little confusing to people. There's a new slew of characters that not everybody's embracing yet. It's just the transition. Other side, they'll be a moment in time where all of a sudden you're like, ah, I haven't I have another reason? Who's arguably the best Major League Baseball that's never sniffed the postseason for the most part. For the most part, Trout Mike Trout Right, you could argue you have maybe not the most personality plus guy. But you know what also takes a star like Mike Trout from being next level star never being relevant when it matters in the playoffs. Do you think maybe if the Spurs were more of an elite team had had more weapons and more, you know, more of a vibe around Wemby. Wemby to me is the most intriguing young star. But in a league where twenty of the thirty teams make the playoffs, they're still on the outside looking in. Is that a part of it too, where Danny, the biggest young star that might be the biggest quote attraction, isn't even on a playoff caliber team.
Speaker 5: Well, one of my favorite players in the league right now is Dearon Fox, and the Kings traded him to the Spurs. So the Spurs are trying to work on what you're talking about right now.
Speaker 2: I mean you can't.
Speaker 3: We're coming off of crazy highs of a great MLB season first time in a long time. But it backs up what I said, another exciting NFL season and then you're like NBA and you're trying to play catch up now.
Speaker 4: But no, but it goes back to what I'm saying. Otani is the biggest star, but guess what he also did. The biggest star showed up on the biggest stage and that team won the World Series.
Speaker 3: I think once the I'm stating the obvious here, but once the playoffs are kicking in and you're seeing Lebron and Luca do their thing again. Big team, big national, nationwide team, not just here in LA with superstars that you recognize. When you see them competing with these younger dudes that you really don't know that well, you start kicking in and your fandom starts to kick in, and you start getting excited about it. Luke and Lebron, Stephen Draymond, like the names that you want to say. Yeah, but you're tuning into the NBA right after the NFL, right after Super Bowl. You all hyped up about the super Bowl, and then you're tuning into the NBA because it's all there is to tune into right as we approach All Star break. So that's kind of boring as a casual NBA fan.
Speaker 2: Let's go to Andy and Rhode Island. Andy, what is it?
Speaker 4: I mean, Andy, I don't want to talk about, Well, the NBA, it's a three pointers and.
Speaker 2: This and that. Andy.
Speaker 4: To me, it's just saying you just can't force what works. Yeah, you can't force you can't tell people what they like.
Speaker 6: No, absolutely, guys, and I feel that because you know, a lot of it kind of just goes back to Revision's history.
Speaker 7: Because you know, we can't really.
Speaker 6: See who's gonna be, you know, the next breakout generational players ahead of time, so we kind of just cling back to, you know, the guys that's still in the league, that have been doing it for so long, because I feel like a lot of it has to do with social media. We have so much access to these guys that in essen it's always on to the next with the current society that was living nowadays, and it's just so tricky because we want to embrace the new guys, but then I feel like a lot of these new guys they don't have that super star you know, that pole horizon energy that we look forward to it just like you know, you go back to Michael Jordan's he was so polarizing, but it was so it was such a mystery because we didn't have all the access to ends. So that I feel like that's the biggest difference. And you know, like you guys said, it's a transitional phase and we'll.
Speaker 7: See where it goes.
Speaker 6: Right now, it's just up in the air. You know, we can only hope for the best of the NBA, but it seems like we're embracing the NFL stars a lot faster because the NFL is this case, it really is, it.
Speaker 3: Is, and it's that that good of a product where you're not really competing with anything. If you're a casual NBA fan, you're oversaturated with other options. Like if you asked me honestly over the weekend, yeah, would you rather watch the NBA All Star Game or Cobra Kai. I'm watching Cobra Kai. That sounds ridiculous, but we have. My point is, you have options. As your mom would say, up the wazoo.
Speaker 2: You have so many other things to watch.
Speaker 7: Mom.
Speaker 3: It's competing with all the these other things, you know, So it's a mixture. It's a perfect storm of all of these things, Richie. I can't force these things, the new formats, the new stars, and you have all these other things to watch.
Speaker 2: George and La, what's up, Bud, what's Fellas? What's up?
Speaker 8: Man?
Speaker 2: Hey, Buddy, Hey Man, got to hear you guys this morning. It was a good surprised, nice man, high surprise surprise.
Speaker 7: My second sorry with your daughter.
Speaker 4: Bro.
Speaker 7: Was that was cool?
Speaker 6: Man, That was real cool?
Speaker 3: Hey, thanks man, it was all right. You know, it's a weird. It's a weird moment. To just sort of accept that your daughter it's not her first boyfriend.
Speaker 9: But she's fifteen now, so different right now. Yeah, so it's on your mind.
Speaker 8: George.
Speaker 1: Hey, bro, I'll tell you it wasn't cool that Sprinky Dinky also our game.
Speaker 10: Bro.
Speaker 7: It was pretty lame.
Speaker 1: It was non competitive. They need to come up with a better idea.
Speaker 6: Maybe, how about.
Speaker 7: Like something like, well, what hockey does?
Speaker 1: That hockey game was was beast but that was awesome.
Speaker 2: First, Yeah, hockey. So the weekend with their fights, I mean hockey fights.
Speaker 4: You know what it was. This weekend was hockey fights. Saturday Night Live fifty and a couple other things that all sort of overshadowed. It was a pick a ball tournament.
Speaker 5: There was some crazy crashes in the Daytona five hundred when that picked up after the weather delay.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't want to I don't want to be the guy that piles on I don't want to kick the NBA walls.
Speaker 3: But if you weren't painting the narrative, then you wouldn't be accurate either. And that was the narrative on If you took the temperature on social media and just the buzz of of what people were saying about All Star Weekend, that's exactly it. If you see it otherwise, feel free to share. We're just painting a picture for you. As I said to you, I don't want to.
Speaker 4: I just don't want to pile on and be like, yeah, I mean he stinks, right, guys, because I just think there's a they're trying. Adam Silver was striking. I'm just saying you can't force people to like something.
Speaker 3: I mean another thing though, just to show that you're not rich is again, that's the overall sentiment of how people are feeling. Right, So we're not gonna come here and be like two that was electric? Are we would sound ridiculous?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Right.
Speaker 3: Draymond Green over the weekend was basically talking about how flat it was, how weak it was, how you have these you know, young players out there that don't deserve to be out there, and that the format didn't work like he made it no secret And that's been a theory of ours too on this show. When you have the analysts and former players and current players dumping on the product, how do you expect the casual fan to be excited about it? That's bad marketing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there were twenty minute breaks in that bracket final, and a lot of the players spoke out afterwards saying they didn't like it. They understand that it needs to be kind of stretched out for TV, right, and they're just being honest. But like Kevin Hart was doing stand up and little skits and he was at Lebron's locker putting his shoes on, and you know, and Trey Young said he was part of Chuck's Global Stars. I didn't like the breaks. The games were so short. Obviously we can score, so I feel like extend the game, you know, because they need breaks and things like that.
Speaker 2: But the players want to play.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think the silver lining here is they're trying to figure it out or trying to give you something else. Like we always say, Rich Gary Ve, we quote him innovator died or trying to innovate and trying to make things exciting.
Speaker 2: So that's the positive.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 9: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich Davis, and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 4: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Why should you listen to Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 4: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 9: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 4: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something.
Speaker 2: Right, So check us out. We like to get you involved, to take your phone calls, chop it up.
Speaker 4: As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 2: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 9: Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcast, and of course on social.
Speaker 2: Media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 4: Let's go to our dude, Marvin, one of the Dan Adds, who, by the way, we had such a fun time the last couple of years sing him at the Super Bowl, and it was great to see him this year just for you know, for a moment.
Speaker 2: But let's welcome Marvin, Marvin. How are you, Bud?
Speaker 7: What's going on? Guys?
Speaker 2: What's up? Brother?
Speaker 7: Man? Things are good, man? Just a little vaca, that's it.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, you should be sleeping in dude.
Speaker 7: No, no, no, I got a kid and a dog. I'm up.
Speaker 2: Yeah the dog. Yeah, you ain't sleeping.
Speaker 4: So you have a story about the picture or my sweet new sneakers.
Speaker 7: Oh look, I'm gonna plead the fifth on your sneaker thing. But the pictures. So when I was when I was young in this business, I was working at Gillett and Deon Sanders was working for the NFL network, and so I was like, oh, man, can I get a Can I get a pick? In one of my coworkers. I was like, yeah, got a pick? And it did. It was blurry, it was awful, all of it. And I'm sitting there looking at him like, man, this might be the only opportunity that I might have to take a picture with prime time, not knowing that life would turn out how we did. So you know, things have worked out where I've taken a couple more with them, but I was just so angry. I was like, man, you are useless.
Speaker 2: I did the same thing one time.
Speaker 3: I feel so bad our buddy Spot, who you know, when he's not in a fetal position with the black lung, when he's here not sick. Uh, you know, he's producing our show and doing videos and stuff like that, and he never asks for photos with celebrities ever. We had Nicholas Cage on our show one time, and it was the first time, honestly that Spot asked for a photo.
Speaker 2: He's like, hey, guys, you know I hate to ask, but could I.
Speaker 9: Get a picture with Nicholas Cage was full on, like the most famous face I'd ever seen. He was in full on Nicholas Cage.
Speaker 2: He's like, where wal Yeah.
Speaker 9: The Spot was like, can you get a picture, and he gave the camera to me. I took the blurriout photo but hold on and I ruined it.
Speaker 3: He was so upset by it because he wanted his mom to see it and everything. But now there's technology where you could take your primetime photo. I know you got an updated one, Marvin, but you could you know, put it in the nap and now I fix it.
Speaker 2: But it gives you creepy eyes though.
Speaker 9: It will fix it though, man, because I've taken in that Nicholas Cage photo and is crystal clear now like it never happened.
Speaker 3: So yeah, there are ways to fix those terrible moments. Marvin, Marvin, how long you been with uh? With Dan Patrick?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 7: All right? So I've been with the show as a whole for about six years, but I've been a Danette for about three years.
Speaker 2: Nice, so you've you've been together for a minute.
Speaker 4: So you guys, you know the dan Ads and Dan you guys have had your squabbles and your fights over the years.
Speaker 2: I'm sure a little, you know, butting of the heads, correct.
Speaker 7: I'm sure, yeah, yeah, absolutely, yeah.
Speaker 4: So Camino and I have only gotten a few real fights, and one of them had to do with a picture. And this, this is I think one of Covino's most embarrassing moments.
Speaker 3: Coming from the guy that where it's generic quite sneakers. It looks like they were the last in the bargain been at at gualmar So.
Speaker 4: We're living in New York at the time, but Covino's going back and forth because you know, his his ex wife lived in La So. Covino's back and forth La New York, La New York. So as a joke, when Cavino wasn't in the New York studio, we had a cardboard cutout of Cavino made so Cavino. There's a cardboard cutout of Cavino, And as a joke, we'd put the cardboard cutout in pictures with celebrities and guests on the show. One time we had David Hasselhoff on the show and we take a quick picture and Cavino loses his mind that I didn't pull his cardboard cutout.
Speaker 9: I lost in the photo because you know, I felt bad that I wasn't there and I just wanted to be represented, and Rich lied.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing. Ridgel was like, I didn't have time to go and get it. And then when you see the actual photo, it's right there in the photo.
Speaker 2: In the background.
Speaker 3: So he told the undermined, like me, as the co host of the show, imagine the cutout.
Speaker 4: Imagine being mad that someone didn't take your cardboard cutout into a photo, as if it's you.
Speaker 2: I was mad about that. Man.
Speaker 3: Hey, you know what since we do have you, Marvin, I do want your opinion on Lebron James ruining team photo or not again, Is.
Speaker 2: It the biggest deal?
Speaker 3: Absolutely not, But what are your thoughts on him wearing street clothes in the All Star Game photo?
Speaker 7: So you know what, I think people would just have this thing because Lebron's so polarizing. Whatever he does, they act like it's the first time it's ever been done. So you look back in the history of All Star photos. Look, Kobe's in a photo with street closed when he didn't play, and Dwayne Wade is it a photo with street clothes when he I think people are more upset about the timing that he said he wasn't going to play more than him being a street clothes. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's just all those things added up together and all the criticism about the game and everything else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right, right, And it's Lebron right.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, He's so polarizing no matter what all. He ruined the All Star Game. I'm sorry. In two thousand and eight, him and Ray Allen went off the comebacks for the East against the West. I was like, he's always played hard. It's the other guys, it's the jokers. It's Anthony Edwards. Those guys lolly gagg can throw up box alley you the entire All Star Game. And now people were like, oh, what happened you know to the game I loved? Man, These guys make so much money and they lolly gag. Yeah, and they do all this stuff. And I get it from a standpoint of you know, people say, oh what happened to you know what when people say the All Star Game doesn't count, no one's ever got upset about the outcome of the All Star Game. They just want some type of effort. The All Star Game is the All Star Game is supposed to be the world's best pickup game. That's exactly what it's supposed to be. When I was a kid, might be, you know, showing my age. But when Isaiah and Michael Jordan on the same team, let's go, no doubt.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that's when it was. That's when you felt that competition. By the way, Marvin, thank you to you and all the Daneuts and tell Dan we appreciate you letting us.
Speaker 7: Oh man, no, not a problem guys.
Speaker 2: Before, big fan of what you guys do. Thank you Marvin.
Speaker 4: One of the from The Dan Patrick Show. Love those guys.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 9: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 4: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 4: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships.
Speaker 2: What's going on in the world.
Speaker 9: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 4: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 2: I mean that says something, right, So check us out.
Speaker 9: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, shop it up.
Speaker 2: As they say, i'd.
Speaker 4: Say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 9: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich Live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific. And if you does any of the live show, just search Kobe known Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social.
Speaker 2: Media that's Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 9: It is the Dan Patrick Show here Fox Sports Radio, LaVar Arrington, Sicky Quinn, Jonas Knox with you in for Dan and the guys here on this fronto. And uh well, not exactly the way many people were hoping for that game to finish up last night. It was the More Nations face off, and I'll say this.
Speaker 2: Q sounds very disappointed. It was a bummer.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean, I don't know about you, LeVar. I wasn't rooting for Canada. It's surely not. I said they were better than.
Speaker 9: Native Now if it was football, is that a ukulele playing what it sounded like?
Speaker 8: I think so, jesus.
Speaker 10: I mean, I would have been ready to cut my wrist open if if we played them in like US versus Canada and football we lost.
Speaker 2: But is hockey.
Speaker 8: See that's the difference between you and me. Like I would still be feeling that way.
Speaker 11: And I don't even know how to play hockey, but I'd sure as well try I'd be giving it my best effort, falling down, flopping around.
Speaker 10: If I lost, I'd be like, you know what, there's more frozen pawns in Canada than there are in the United States.
Speaker 2: And I get it here.
Speaker 11: Well, First off, Canada was the better team last night. For anyone who watched. It felt like the US had a hard time controlling the puck. It felt like there wasn't the same impact as far as the physicality. You know, to some degree that the defense held up. But I also felt like, and the stats aren't always indicative of this, it just felt like when Canada had opportunities to.
Speaker 8: Score, they were a bit more legit. They're a bit more on net.
Speaker 11: It was some close calls you maybe you want to say luck, but there was just moments where if you're watching as a fan of the US, you're kind of holding on the edge of your seat, being like, okay, got by one, there another one.
Speaker 2: Bennington was unbelievable, but you know what was.
Speaker 8: Super I don't know it.
Speaker 11: And overtime was fine, But I'm saying but leading up to that point, I thought the US was was better defensively.
Speaker 8: I watched for the first three period.
Speaker 10: First of all, I watched the game because you guys made it a big deal on the show leading up to the game. That was first and fourth we did get better rating, all right, and think about this so then secondly, then then it really dawned on me, like, Wow, what an amazing setup in a situation to play off of the NFL Super Bowl and everything that has happened during the course of this calendar year. You get the most ideal matchup in a sport that could be obscure to other categories groups of people, and you guys are wondering where I'm going with this right then it's like.
Speaker 2: They're not like us. They're not like us, like probably a miin't her.
Speaker 10: And I'm sitting there thinking of myself, damn Kendrick Lamar, and Drake is sitting somewhere.
Speaker 2: Drake is sitting there proud.
Speaker 10: Like we finally won one this year, even though it took till twenty twenty five to get it, but we got something.
Speaker 2: We won something, Canada won something. I let y'all down.
Speaker 10: Kendrick Lamar's been spanking my ass for a whole entire calendar year, won awards off of going at me? Does it at the Super Bowl and everybody's like pro America and forgot about how dope Canada is and lo and behold, here we go when it really mattered for us in a sport that really matters to us, and to them, we won. We won.
Speaker 2: Drake won last night, and.
Speaker 10: I was watching it, and as I'm watching it for Rake, I'm like, damn, I bet you. Drake is sitting somewhere like, please don't lose, please, please, please don't lose, please, And it made it more interesting to me. And I just wonder how many people around the country that were in on this whole, which there's a lot of people that are connected to this Draken and Kendrick Lamar beef. And I'm telling you, somewhere Drake was sitting there and it's going to come out at some point he's going to reference that game and he's going to try to use it as a way to say that I told you Canada is better than America based on actually it made it interesting.
Speaker 9: Go ahead, and John Well, I was just going to say, based on the attire at the Super Bowl, the bell bottoms, I don't really see Ken Lamar as.
Speaker 2: A hockey by the way they called him. It doesn't strike me as a hockey fan. They don't.
Speaker 10: They don't call them bell bottoms anymore, Jonas, It's.
Speaker 2: Called flared bottoms.
Speaker 8: They call what you want.
Speaker 2: I'm just telling you, just telling you.
Speaker 8: I don't know whose calm it was.
Speaker 11: I was reading about it, but it was kind of interesting, and they were play on the adversarial position of the Drake Kendrick Lamar conversation because the popular opinion, the easy thing to said, Oh, Kendrick l won this stuff, he hit super Bowl, you know all this stuff, and they actually said the fact that the biggest moment for Kendrick Lamar was the super Bowl halftime show and he couldn't do anything.
Speaker 8: Other than perform a song.
Speaker 11: That's a distrack to Drake because that's where Drake lives in his head, rent free. And if you're comparing the two as far as what they've accomplished so far in their rapping careers, it's not even close. I mean, obviously Drake's been way more successful. So I was actually I'm reading this column and I was thinking, I don't have a dog in the fight. I honestly could care less. But it was an interesting perspective that, like, if you really think about it. As much as people want to kind of give Kendrick Lamar, Oh, he's the winner. He did that, it's like, well yeah, but I think Drake's sold Okay. I mean his name is like still out there. Granted he's saying what he's saying and there's different accusations, but he's been way more successful. He'll continue to be more successful. And like, I'm not sure that after the Super Bowl halftime show, like did that help Kendrick Lamar, Like, I think people who knew him knew him, people like his rap, like his rap.
Speaker 8: I'm not sure it like grew anything.
Speaker 11: I think if anything, it's just kind of like all right, no sweet, like the US one, I feel like we won that one. But ultimately, if you're looking at like the long term, like I mean, I'm not sure Kendrick Lamar wins in the long in the long run.
Speaker 2: I'll just say this.
Speaker 10: This this to me was one of those scenarios where you're looking at a guy and and Drake has always been considered like the sexy, light skinned it lover, right, like people are so aried by, Well, that's super light, that's like super white chocolate, sexy lover you know what I mean.
Speaker 8: You know, I take exception to that. I've got somewhat all of skin. I'm pretty sure we uh.
Speaker 10: We well light skin, and your category is very compare in New Orleans to one another. Yeah, I mean, you're not too many shades off from me, and I'm I'm on the darker side.
Speaker 2: But about like you you you, I just remember, you go, you go.
Speaker 8: We're not doing this. This is not yet.
Speaker 10: Okay, we could do it over the radio, but we are not going to do this live and in person. I mean, we're just not going to do it.
Speaker 2: But I will say I look like a paper towel that still a lar.
Speaker 10: Some of some of Qu's mannerisms when he got a little bit of oil in him are very light skin.
Speaker 2: That's all I'm gonna say. Me damn House just gonna say.
Speaker 10: And you see the way people flock to light skin cats, man, they just seem more. They just seemed more, you know, like approachable, you know, very like seem like more attractive to My name is Tyrone.
Speaker 2: I get it, bro I get it.
Speaker 10: That's what I'm trying to say. And in the end, the point of the matter is is that if I was Kendrick Lamar and you was Drake at that bar on Thursday in New Orleans. Drake was still winning, That's all I'm gonna say. And that was culminated by a win and a dub by Canada in this this World Cup night.
Speaker 2: That's okay.
Speaker 11: Can I take one exception with the format and I realize we have an NHL season to play and so we can't drag this thing out.
Speaker 8: But they split.
Speaker 11: It was a round robin. They got to play twice, the USA, one on their turf. The first time they won on the USA's turf. It feels like for the championship it should be like a best of three, like, let them play at least one two more games to figure this thing out. Now, this is gonna sound like a sore loser Tenny Canadians out there, And if you feel that way, I'm just saying you got beat up the first time around.
Speaker 8: We took it on the chin this last time. I'd love to see two more.
Speaker 11: Let's running back, let's run it back, I'd love to see I'd love to see a best of three for the actual championship of the four nations as it passed to the whole round Robin you know format, which again, it just I understand how it works.
Speaker 8: It just it would have been nice to see a best of three series.
Speaker 9: Somebody brought it up post game. Might have been Steve Levy or got to forget who a Ray Ferr. Somebody made the comment that there was an idea that was floated out there kind of in jes like, eh, well what about this thought that they would you know, you don't really need anybody else if you just every year did a hey, just for the hell of it, best of five series between the US and Canada and hockey.
Speaker 2: That's all you need. People would watch, would.
Speaker 9: Like, you don't need Finland, you don't need no like, just have those two go at it yearly. Make it a tradition, do some sort of a.
Speaker 7: I like it.
Speaker 2: It's fun, man, Like.
Speaker 10: You know, does that apply to the NBA. Maybe the NBA could stand and learn something from it. A Coros VERSUS Americans.
Speaker 9: A couple of years ago, Baseball did this World Baseball Classic.
Speaker 2: Before that, I mean we would lose, we would get our asses kicked, but people but people loved it because we would lose that one.
Speaker 9: You saw you know, up and coming stars, you saw all these players from Japan that nobody had seen before. It was staged in the US at different ballparks around and it was before spring training, before the season or in the midst of spring training, and they're going to bring it back. I think in twenty twenty six is when it comes back. But you saw that there was a wow. This worked a lot better than we thought it was going to. And this had the same feel last night to where they kind of fell upon something that they've got to build on. And for as much as we want to say about well it's you know, it's hockey and how many people care about it in this country, I guarantee you people will start following the sport and start following the NHL.
Speaker 10: Based on what an easy marketable deal, right, you can leverage that in the market. It's relevant within each market. And let me ask you, what do you think the percentage of Canadians playing in the NHL are plus you'd have you have NHL franchises that are in Canada, so like, what would like what would that population be. I'm sure it's significant enough. I know we get their biggest stars coming to play in the NHL. Listened, Like, imagine that Canada to the way three percent.
Speaker 11: Just a little history on this, uh, dating back to the nineteen eighties, it will used to be seventy five percent town.
Speaker 10: Yeah, they're better taken. I mean in theory you would consider them to be better. I mean I just would. I think it would be interesting and and honestly.
Speaker 2: Maybe every single sport could benefit from that.
Speaker 10: Instead of doing the Pro Bowl where you take the All pros and you do this weird ass water down deal, have them play the best mother lovers that play in Canada have had like the second tier guys.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't watch that.
Speaker 10: We just don't know that they could field a team. No, bro, they played football in Canada. I don't know if you watch Canadian football, they played football in Canada. All I'm gonna say is it would bring a different market into watching a singular game because of the pride of Canada versus the US. The US versus Canada. Don't use the best of the best. Use those ones, give them a bonus and send them out there and have a real ass exhibition game against the best of the best in the Canadian Football League. That gives you what you want with the American viewers. It gives you what you want for the Canadian viewers, and it gives you an opportunity to showcase players that might have needed an opportunity to get some exposure.
Speaker 2: I would do it in basketball too.
Speaker 10: You want to make a different format that matters to the fan, where it's like there's a sense like Q was talking about earlier in the week, where there's a sense of pride or the intensity. You think an American NFL football player wants to lose a game to a Canadian League football player.
Speaker 2: Let them lose that game.
Speaker 10: You know how much scrutiny and criticism would come upon the NFL and the players if they lost. I guarantee you, with that bonus money and with them playing that game with the pride of the USA, they would play their asses off.
Speaker 8: It's like the Olympics. Watch the NBA. You know players go over and playing in the Olympics for USA.
Speaker 2: You don't want to see them lose. Yeah, you you do not want to see.
Speaker 10: What we believe is we're the superpower. We are the ones that are superior to everybody else. If you lose, it is.
Speaker 2: The end of the world unless you bet on the other team. Oh, you know, like you like who they have.
Speaker 9: I think the Sudan Uhan took they almost won, took the US to the wire last year or something like that one. I mean, you got them at plus forty or something.
Speaker 2: That's a big pay. Yeah, but that's you.
Speaker 10: You're moving the goal post. Like forget Sudan. Like like I'm saying, take the superpower of taking the best players, which, by the way, a lot of those players are American football players that air quotes did not were not able to make it playing in the NFL. Imagine you take the All Stars, the best of the best out of the Canadian Football League, off their teams, you put them together and they represent Canada in an exhibition game against what would be perceived as the best of the best of the NFL. But it would not be the best of the best. You're not You're not putting Patrick Mahomes or Josh Allen out there. You're putting Dak Prescott, Chad.
Speaker 2: Kelly lighting up Vic Fangio's defense.
Speaker 10: Come on, man, come on, man, Stott, you tell me you wouldn't want to I would rather attend that game than the Super Bowl. I would actually want a ticket to go watch that game.
Speaker 8: Jonas is an idiot.
Speaker 2: He was an idiot.
Speaker 7: I did not.
Speaker 11: Realize how he slipped that in there. Chad Kelly's not born in Canada, jonas.
Speaker 2: Any places for the CFL.
Speaker 8: I figure it doesn't mean he's gonna represent that.
Speaker 9: You think he could do a twenty three and meter and find out he's got a relative from Toronto somewhere.
Speaker 8: Probably not.
Speaker 11: Dang well, I mean, are you based that off of just him being related to Jim Kelly and situation?
Speaker 2: You know, it feels like a loose accusation, far off.
Speaker 10: There's something wrong, loves slipping in weird little sad bars. I figured that's what he meant. I didn't know who the second one was, but I knew who the first one was, so it's fine. She She didn't see when he gave you that little grin he looked over with the you know, with his little fang hanging out his mouth.
Speaker 8: Here's here's all I know.
Speaker 11: Because I'm watching the game, and during the course of the game, it comes across my mind, Oh yeah, Lee was supposed to be going out tonight.
Speaker 2: Yeah did you? Oh? Yeah, sure did went to uh oh did you hear the way? Responded, sure did? He is lit up. There's number two. Check off number two. Hey, what's the what what damage you do last night? Perfect ingredients? Oh damn? Check number three quick quick shot. When the lady went to the bathroom. Lady, when the lady.
Speaker 11: Hold on, explain how that works? So she gets something, says to you, Hey, honey, I need use the bathroom real quick. Are you waiting until she's far enough away where you can be like bartender bart and you're like trying to get him to rush over to here was she?
Speaker 2: And yes, I did.
Speaker 12: I got caught her attention, said hey, can I have a quick one? And you know we sometimes they they kind of get they kind of get the game on. Got to make sure you clarify what I'm I'm kicking it with a nice gentleman who's in town from Boston. Now he's watching them, he's watching the game, his waiting, he's waiting for a table for his kids are waiting for a table. And I said, hey, you mind me putting this shot glass in front of you? Slide it right over. And then she comes back. She's none the wiser, So I have myself an I p A is shot and then uh, and then she goes to the movie, and I have myself a little Long Island as I'm paying.
Speaker 2: The bill out the door. He did you go meet her at the movie? Yeah?
Speaker 9: Oh, and if you're doing an I P A shot and a Long Island, you gotta suck it back quick so she doesn't notice. She clearly doesn't care about it, probably floating by the time he walked in there.
Speaker 2: Listen to what he said. She left him twice for the bathroom.
Speaker 10: So, so do you leave your your crackhead buddy, family member, boyfriend girlfriend alone in front of a crack dealer? I mean, you want some rocks? Crack is why I'm not gonna walk away and leave you in front of there to.
Speaker 2: I'm not leaving you there to get that rock. Yeah, wait, to violate her.
Speaker 10: She don't really care about you, Lee. She left you there knowing that you was at the bar by yourself.
Speaker 9: Come on, man, if she knew he was sucking back Long Islands and IPAs, he would have walked into a gatling gun in the theater.
Speaker 10: Bro, do you understand when somebody doesn't want you to do something? You know what she would have said, walk me to the restroom. You know what she'd have said, You're going to the entrance with me. Maybe you haven't experienced that either yourself, Jonas, But I'm just trying to tell you if somebody cares that much about what you're doing, Look, he drinking something right now. If you were to do something that somebody that loves you cares about you not doing, like say, drinking too much, you're not going to walk away from them one time and leave them there. Let alone go there to the first time, Like, we're not going to the bar together. That's first and foremost. Then I'm certainly not going to leave you one time at the bar. Then secondly, I'm not going to leave you two times like oh, I'm going to go get the popcorn and the skittles and and the bond bonds that at the you know, come on, man, you gotta be kidding me.
Speaker 2: She wanted you to drink brouh.
Speaker 12: She wants you to she wants you to ruin evening the USA getting taken out by Canada. And in Canada, I'm at the Folks Place for another week, tilling back the Folks Place.
Speaker 2: Is she there with you? She's there with you. Yeah, we got one more week to go. Oh, we gotta go. We got brear necks.
Speaker 8: No, hold on, hold on, she is staying at your parents place too. Yeah, what.
Speaker 2: Happened to the roach Motel? The roach Motel is gone, So it's our lives.
Speaker 8: That's why she's so out on that.
Speaker 2: That's why she's letting you booze up because she's got a place to stay. Yeah, you're all in case you might get evicted. She's free.
Speaker 8: She has been on her best behavior.
Speaker 2: She has she has there you go, no throwing booze across the room.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 9: By the way, there's a guy on Venice Beach listening on the iHeartRadio app in a Coleman tent, looking around, going I don't want his situation.
Speaker 2: I'll take what I got here. I'll just deal with it. Oh, my pot plots was the best. They are the best.
Speaker 9: It is a Dan Patrick show here on Fox Sports Radio. By the way, most cars on the road could use a little TLC at Maco. We bring your car back to life with affordable paint jobs and light collision repairs. Get a free estimate today. Uh oh, better get mako. So we are going to catch up with the great Albert Breer. This was touch and go. By the way, Albert was on a ski trip, so we are going to find out whether or not he's banged up and how he's feeling here because there are lots of news and notes and rumors from around the NFL. Ab joins you next here on The Dan Patrick Show.