Speaker 1: Call It what It Is with Jessica Capshaw and Camille Luddington, an iHeartRadio podcast. Hello, Hello, Hello, Hello, Call It crew, and welcome to our first call it a rewatch.
Speaker 2: Oh. I like the way that sounded it does. I like new things. I like new things.
Speaker 1: We've I mean, this is what twenty twenty fially you bringing you guys. You're welcome new things, asking you shall receive.
Speaker 2: I know, gosh, it was I gotta say this, really, this really took me back. This was really fun, literally and figuratively. I in the weirdest way. I would say it was the thing that I didn't know that I wanted. Because you know, people do ask me quite often do you watch the show when you're on it? And also like do you still watch the show or do you know how does the show affect your life? And I talk so much about having been a fan of the show, But that was when I wasn't on it, and then I got on it, and then I definitely did watch probably the first twenty five to fifty episodes that I was on, I probably watched.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then you feel like you lived it, like you're I don't need to watch it, like I've heard it in the table read I lived it, and now you know you're moving on in the story.
Speaker 2: But the first twenty five to fifty I was checking my work. Evidently after that first quit long, you just need to check my work, Yeah, yeah, yeah, or or maybe I just yeah. I don't know, but I definitely did transition out of watching it every week, and so then I think I would just watch a couple maybe during the season. And now here we are being asked to rewatch. And I have to say that the first thing that I thought was this is a really good show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, should we talk about Okay, let's talk about what episode we is? Our first recap episode. Well, it was the People's choice. It's the people's choice. We threw it out to the crew. We're like, what do you want us to do first? And overwhelmingly, yeah, overwhelmingly.
Speaker 2: It was a wed episode. It was the weed cookies.
Speaker 1: It was the weed cookie episode, which was not surprising. And what's funny is I thought to myself, what do I actually remember storyline about that? I mean, I remember, like some people ate the wee cookies, but I watching it back, it was like a fresh episode to me.
Speaker 2: Well, it was also we made it five six years ago, I heart said to me.
Speaker 1: When I got on this call, They're like, you know that episode was six years ago. I was like, what, no wonder, I look young and fresh.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's be honest. When we had a very very brief chat before we got to sat down to record, and I said to Kamilla a lot of things that we'll talk about, but one of the things I said was, oh, you look so pretty. And what did you say back? I said, I did look so pretty.
Speaker 1: And I was like, wow, you look so pretty Lunnington. And then I spent some of the episode just vanity wise, wondering where.
Speaker 2: It's gone wrong? Do you know what I mean? Like, what what exactly has slid.
Speaker 1: On my face? What is melting to make me look the way I look now? I wish i'd appreciated that back then. You're crazy. You look even But I said to Jess in return, you look even hotter now.
Speaker 2: Because by the way, she did not say to me, you look so pretty.
Speaker 1: Too, I said, I think you look hotterer now, like pure girlfriend, like Vanity. You know, I think Jess is as she ages, she's made a deal with the devil and she's getting hotter and the rest of us are melting.
Speaker 2: I will I will take that compliment. I will take that compliment. And then uh, and then I do remember saying back to you funny because if if that is true, yeah, I have a worldwide audience of you know, my worldwide audience appreciating what's happened. It's diminished since the years where it was on television every week with whatever it is that I look like in the episode that we're we watching, Yeah, you said how many millions of people will watch me then?
Speaker 1: And now it's like seven. You said, it's just the dog's that one horse and the kids.
Speaker 2: I know it is what it is. The chickens. The chickens get the nice Yes, the chickens. You know. The poppy named one of them China, and I was like short for what she's like, the Jina. Of course, I have a chicken named China. Listen, China's a cute chicken. I love it.
Speaker 1: We have to jump in though, because I can. I tell you I have six I stole my kids notepad. I have six pages of notes on this episode. I went through it and I and like just said, when we were watching back when I was watching it, back, I was like, A, this cast is fantastic, this is this is a great cast. The storyline's fantastic, everyone's so solid. I was laughing. I was into all the storylines. I was shocked by someone's like what what, and of course, like I know that it happened, but I don't remember.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I too felt the same way. I just was in awe of how good everyone is and how perfectly cast. Shout out to Linda Lowie. I mean, truly, the show is just so well cast. Everyone's so good in it. There were things that they were doing that I was like, God, I don't And then I was trying to think back to you know, I think it's worth mentioning the table read is where it all starts. Yeah, and I do. It was trying to remember the table read, and I remember certain shows you know from the table read. You know that it's you feel kind of bad for the director because they're usually you know, only there for that episode, and you're like, ooh, this one's so good. Don't get up. Yeah, this one's good. And it was written by Julie Wong, who is just a fan favorite and a hilarious human being.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you go back and watch Julia Wang's episodes, you will realize she can do it all. But she can really do comedy. And I think comedy is hard to write.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh got it.
Speaker 1: But she just always steps up to the plate when she has to write an episode that's funny, It's gonna be funy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Then a director was a female director that episode, Sidney Freeland. Yes, yep, I felt a little bit. Like I said, I felt for her. I didn't feel bad for her. I felt for her because there was a lot of pressure to get this really awesome episode done well. And it was episode twenty of that season, which means we were all nearing the end of the season. And do you know what happens when that happens during that time of the season.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a certain time of year in a certain seasons where people are up for renegotiation.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, but I'm talking about this just that was true of that year, but but that this is like any year when you coming up to potentially twenty four. And so we're in twenty So everyone's.
Speaker 1: Toasty, everyone is tired. Okay, So where to start, Well, the let's start with the episode opens up. So the episode opens up on what I think is probably the most important character of the show. Go what the rewatches are gonna be about?
Speaker 2: You guys? It opens up with a gorgeous at Joe Wilson.
Speaker 1: It opens up with me pushing a mouse through the hospital because there it.
Speaker 2: Is competition day.
Speaker 1: You know what I thought of when I saw myself on TV, I was like, in the episode on TV, what's on TV? I was like, Oh, I would have been so excited that day to not be in scrubs. It's very rare on the show that you don't have to wear scrubs. And the fact that I was in reg regular clothes. Mimi was our customer. She was fantastic, And I just remember being very excited to be able to wear my hair down because I'm always in a bun. Look a little cute or look a little more put together. And I'm wheeling the mouse in because Joe and Meredith are working on something together and there is a grant up for grabs in this competition that's about.
Speaker 2: To be held. Yep, there's a little bit more. Everybody's a little bit more in performance mode because there are people actually giving presentations that are going to be performances.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I was trying to remember if David Bowie the mouse was real or like a CGI mouse, and I couldn't remember that.
Speaker 2: I wish I could.
Speaker 1: I don't know if we had a professional mouse act remember stuff I wasn't even there for. And then okay, so we get we and so then we get into the what is that room called that we're all in, I know, auditorium, Like yeah, it's like our presentation space.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah, we don't go there often, but it's when yeah, we give auditorium the auditorium.
Speaker 1: And I think we can say that the scenes when we're it's rare that we're.
Speaker 2: All together and it takes a long time to film. It takes a long time.
Speaker 1: To film, but it's rare we're all together, and there's a certain energy when everyone's in the scene together. Oh yeah, there's more potential for in laughter.
Speaker 2: Gree is what I was gonna say. Actually, yeah, yeah, there's always more potential. And you always have the same like the same people like you. You know that Jesse's going to be given me shit about something, Yeah, I know it. You don't. You don't have to wonder then you're going to be giving him about this.
Speaker 1: Of course, absolutely as I should. We had some new interns sort of in there.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 1: I remember when I was watching that scene, I was Maggie and Jackson had this cute little interaction and I.
Speaker 2: Forgot that they were together. Yes, I forgot. I forgot. And then when they were kind of like it wasn't sexy, but it was like intimate, like you know, like you kept me up all night or whatever where she says like you kid me and she's like she's like, get out of here. I was like this little flirty and I was like, wait.
Speaker 1: There to get I mean, I for some reason, that's like a race for my memory.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I don't know. I think that what replaces it is just the fact that ultimately on the show, the ships that are the true ships end up just being the ships. You remember, and you know that it's Sarah and Jesse.
Speaker 1: You know that it's yeah, it's Sarah and Jesse Keepner, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know what to tell you it is, by the way, I mean, I loved watching that relationship and they were so great. Kelly and Jesse were great together. I don't think so, Okay, we're gonna be honest, No, we're gonna be honest.
Speaker 1: And by the way, I think if we had Kelly on and we had Jesse on, I don't think that they I don't know what, well, listen, maybe they would argue so differently.
Speaker 2: But I felt at.
Speaker 1: The time as a viewer that something was a little off between those two characters. I didn't know what it was, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: It just wasn't in.
Speaker 1: And then I have to say, when Maggie and Winston got together, I was like, oh, that's cute, Like I'm into that for her husband that she ended up having on the show. I mean, they're divorced now spoiler alert. And then I just I felt like it felt to me like an in between me mm hmm, like I'm not a true sale ship, like an in between e ship. Sometimes a tweeny is necessary. Oh, we all have a tweeny to get out too the next weenie. We all have a tweeny for the next weenie.
Speaker 2: Yep, I got you. Okay, So you see that cute little moment. Then you see Richard and Catherine have their cu cute little moment, which also, like I knew, but I was reminded. And then Stefania yes, oh my gosh, and seeing them back together, so seat cute, so cute.
Speaker 1: I it's interesting because I didn't when I was when we were doing the episode, I kind of forgot where everyone is in their time on the show. So when I saw her sitting down, I was like.
Speaker 2: Oh, wait, are you guys together? Like what's the deal? Are you not together? Are you together?
Speaker 1: And then there was a little conversation that was very flirty and cute, and I remember like that. I know that was a tweeny relationship, but I think that could have gone the distance.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be honest, I think that could have worked. I know, I know, and I think that it was interesting because that particular season, well twenty, she came on as a guest star, and I think that I was told that she was going to really be like a short in between situation, and then it ended up becoming that she's so great that she's obviously stayed, and there was all this other story and the sister brother a relationship, and like there was so much room for it to happen. So I feel like it could have is my I'm an agreement. I think that had they've been given a little bit more of a chance, I think it probably would have gone.
Speaker 1: So you were with somebody else before that, you got you got a little ghosted by your previous little betweeny situation, and now you're you're kind of into this, you know, it's so funny. I wrote six pages of notes you guys when I read that when I was watching this, and one of my notes when Jessica appears on screen is we need to talk about your earring game. On Gray's Anatomy, earring game always, Jessica Capshaw always had you always had your three cute studs in that you would like change out, and it was just such a good earring game every episode.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to throw that out there. For the first couple of years, I just wore a heart shaped um hoop and then I think I probably just put stuff in, But yeah, thanks, thanks, it was up for the earing game. Well, so, yes, so Arizona comes in with the lesbian gratit two cookies. Well, but let's also remember what that because also when that was said, I was actually thinking, I mean, clearly the people watching it are fans, but that was based on the storyline that happened before where Arizona helps save this couple's baby and they come back in. But they're not. They're just like they just reappear, so you would have had to watch the episode before to know who they even were. But they've come back to the hospital and given Arizona cookies and said thank you so much, whatever, and then she starts giving out the cookies in this very packed room.
Speaker 1: I noticed I put down de Luca. It's very funny that de Luca's going through his heartbreak. I forgot that storyline. And he grabs he literally takes like four cookies. It's a good setup for the storyline.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is also a good time to say that Gray's has always been really really incredible at taking real life and real time challenges and struggles and putting them in the show. So the fact that she was getting deported was also around the time that there was a lot, a lot on the news about ice and deportation, and it was you know, it was it was I remember it being on the forefront of a lot of people's thoughts. So she gets supported. Okay, So then Arizona flits around the room offering everyone a cookie, and you don't even know to pay attention. Who eats the cookie?
Speaker 1: You do not?
Speaker 2: No, no, you're not paying attention.
Speaker 1: I do remember reading the script in the table read and being real sad Jo didn't take.
Speaker 2: That cookie, and I felt the sadness again. She's like, no, I'm too nervous. I can't take the cookie. Joe.
Speaker 1: It'll be fun, baby, take the cookie.
Speaker 2: And then of course April looking so just lovely loved her costume for that looks very professional. Started the game off. Started the games off about the Graceland surge.
Speaker 1: Glad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of a prototype day. It was like the Hunger Games, and then the twenty five proposals and then five of them will receive a one million dollar grant blah blah blah, and then she wishes everyone luck and then introduces as the first candidate, Richard. Yeah, I was you know what.
Speaker 1: Meredith and Joe are singing together, and they're kind of you know, Joe's a little She's get nervous because Richard's does look good. And I remember in real life being like, well, just he's gonna get it. Yeah, but also Ken, they can figure out that was kick ass. Why isn't that pen in every episode?
Speaker 2: Is that pen real?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: I don't know if you should find out.
Speaker 1: I'm assuming because I feel like our when we do stuff like that, it's it's not something we've completely made up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's basically based on something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's usually based on something that really is up and coming in some medical Yeah.
Speaker 2: So what's happening backstage that we don't know about in the front as we're eating our cookies and watching Richard and being worried that he's gonna win. Is that Jackson and Catherine are bickering. Which watching it, I was like, what are they wired? I know, I can remember either, Yeah, what happening? And then something about a woman named Rebecca Froyd and then how he's messed up and I'm like, wait, what's happening. Yeah, he does something and now she's got to clean it up and I don't know what it is yet. And then because I haven't watched a long time, I was like, I'm intrigued. Oh yeah, yeah, I was in. I Yeah, I was in the whole time.
Speaker 1: I was in, from the the minute I was had the mouse, I was in.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I do.
Speaker 1: I like it when there's a little competition on Grays Yeah, I like it, you know, like just you know, just naturally amongst the characters.
Speaker 2: I think it adds some spice to it.
Speaker 1: I wrote, Okay, so then we sort of cut to you.
Speaker 2: Be you being paged, being paged. Yeah, that's so. Now you go to me coming around the corner. Yeah, seemingly nine to one one, which I've helped this couple with their babies, so clearly I must think that something's very wrong. Come around the corner, and then they hit me with they need those cookies back. Yeah. I cannot give them those cookies back. So they cooked it with like, uh, they made the cookies.
Speaker 1: With the cannabis peanut butter.
Speaker 2: Those are some pot cookies. Those are some pot cookies. I laughed out loud at.
Speaker 1: Your weird slow walk back into the auditorium where I'm like, she's already a little high and she doesn't know.
Speaker 2: How to deal with this.
Speaker 1: I literally put like I was laughing so hard it made me giggle.
Speaker 2: It's like this really awkward walk. And this is what I love about episodes like this.
Speaker 1: We do with so many serious episodes on Grace for good reason, right, Like we're dealing with life and death and relationships and stuff. When we get to play like this and do some of this physical comedy that we get to do this episode or you guys get to do it's so fun Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah it is. It is. And also certain people do sort of like know how to do that right, Like are kind of great with that. I mean some of the care some of the actors are like great with everything right, but some of us, like we've got different instruments, We've got different tools, ryeah. And so some are so good, like you bring up a you bring up a sad scene and they are fucking aces. They're like yeah, and everyone else is like damn, how'd you do that? Right? But then there's like funny ones, and so everybody gets to sort of sort of flex their talents in different ways. But anyways, so so, yes, I remember sliding into there, and I also remember standing there and being like, how do I get their attention?
Speaker 1: Yes, So I want to talk about this little moment with Arizona when she tells Joe and Meredith for the first time, because I think watching it back, because I know this, I think that you can tell that Ellen and I are really trying very hard not to laugh because you remember filming that scene. It was so funny that we were laughing. Just that little moment the three of us were laughing over and over, and I can tell, like, I mean, we do a good job of playing the moment, but I know underneath the real situation was that we really.
Speaker 2: Wanted to pee your pants.
Speaker 1: When you're like Ohsa and we're like who eight the cookies? And then they do the scan around the room like.
Speaker 2: Question is who didn't? Yeah, you're like who didn't?
Speaker 1: And then and then my actually I didn't remember this moment either. When they cut to Jackson and Jackson's like vagina's Vaginas I came out of this one, I was like, damn, Julie, you're so good at writing.
Speaker 2: This is so funny. Yeah, yeah, that was really funny. I love Yeah, I loved that too.
Speaker 1: And then I loved the decision in the show where they're like, uh, Meredith, I think it's it's Meredith that gets to Guz asks who who ate the cookies? And there's rat poison. I do think it's funny that we went with rat poison, yeah over something else. And then you forget to raise your hand and I nudg you. I remember finding that moment really funny to film too.
Speaker 2: That was funny too, Yeah, because I because yeah, well I think and I think that that was actually dare I say my own choice? Yes, I think I was like, oh, I'm not gonna yeah, raise my hand, a little improvisation situation, and then you and then it was your idea to nudge me, and I was like, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah yeah. So then we end up having the meeting backstage. Yes, by the way, I don't even know what.
Speaker 1: That room is, and I don't know if we've ever filmed in that room. Since I have no idea what that room is. Hm, I feel like it was created. I'm probably wrong, and then I'll get messages on this. But listen, I'm rewatching this too. My memory is not so great. This is years ago. I think that little side room was made. I just don't remember ever seeing it again.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, sometimes they come up with these spaces and we never seen that. We've never seen him before, we've never seen him since. Okay, So then she comes back and she says that what's obvious, which is that none of us, whoever has had any of these cookies cannot be a doctor today. So then we all sort of then hair off. So it's de Luca, Maggie and I because Maggie wanders off and I'm like, I gotta get her. Pairs runs off.
Speaker 1: Okay, but I think we need to talk about something because within that scene, there was like a panning across of everybody, right, and everyone started.
Speaker 2: To like you could see the effects right.
Speaker 1: Like you know Andrew's comatoes, there's I think Jackson sniffs a pillow and puts it down, and a conversation started of what being high like that physically feels like an is and do you remember this whole conversation like you're not on psychedelics, you're because some of us, initially I think we're taking it too far where we were almost like we were, you know, tripping.
Speaker 2: Balls Yep, definitely on LSD.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, it was more of an LSD like you're a Woodstock kind of situation. And so we had we had we had a drug conversation like, yeah.
Speaker 2: They were one head band and a pair of bell bottoms away from trip and balls on a stage in Woodstock. Yeah. Well, so there was.
Speaker 1: A conversation about like, hey, this isn't this isn't LSD.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you remember that? And then I think it was sort of right sized, right, everybody went, oh, right, okay, and then yeah, because we also had I remember also that every actor had a different way of doing it. But I remember one actor really had created their timeline so they like, on a scale of one to ten how high they were going to be. Oh that's great. So every time we got to that scene, they were like, oh, I'm I'm at a four here. Oh that's smart, because if you don't know this, which maybe you don't, we don't shoot the scenes in order, so we jump around all the different scenes, and so to know how high or not high you were, they had like put down where they were in their character's highness, which I completely stole. I stole that and also did my own scale of one to ten for all the scenes, because again, how can you remember if you're bopping around? Yes, and I do.
Speaker 1: I remember was we take all your phones in those scenes, And I remember Maggie has this line this like you look so pretty, you look like a cartoon, and trying not to laugh every time she said it to me because it was just so she I mean.
Speaker 2: Kelly's so funny.
Speaker 1: I think you just brought that up to bring up up pretty you are again, And it was hard being that pretty that day I can imagine it was No. I thought that line was very funny, and yeah, it was difficult being that gorgeous. I know, I did laugh at the walk Pierce runs off, Andrew's just floating around the hospital and that's he's stroking the walls. And the next scene, oh oh.
Speaker 2: Oh, we missed it out.
Speaker 1: So then it cuts to this whole other storyline that I totally forgot about.
Speaker 2: It the Foster Ohen Yeah, yeah, yeah, no, this is where it goes.
Speaker 1: Yes, we go off and then it goes to and then I was trying to remember, are they together, like I was trying to figure out.
Speaker 2: I thought, that's Owen married. Yeah, and then I also, I'm just being honest. I also thought, oh, man, because lord knows, it's happened to me a million times. When you when you're the other storyline, like when there's definitely a storyline that's got like all the bells and whistles and stars and stress and pizzazz, and then you're in the storyline that's like the b storyline. Yeah, you're you have a cold at home. Yeah, And so we go to Owen finding out that he's gonna get a baby. Well, he's gonna get a foster child, and it's not going to be a child.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be a baby. Yes, it's gonna be our baby. I do this as an actor on this show. I also like to visually snoop around people's houses, like what kind of stuff, you know, because I'm like, Owen's house to me, looked good and I was like, you know what, maybe.
Speaker 2: Joe needs a little bookshelf like that.
Speaker 1: You know. At the time, she was in the loft too, I think, so I was like, Wow, he's got he's got a good setup there at the Owen household.
Speaker 2: Yep. So then he calls Amelia and says, can you help me out? And she seems pretty willing. Meanwhile, this is a little bit where logic runs out the door, because don't they like need all hands on deck with all those doctors. Shouldn't she have stayed? They shouldn't Owe actually have been called in. Owen should have been.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they absolutely should have been called in.
Speaker 2: They got no doctors.
Speaker 1: They don't have no doctors, no, no one, no high doctors exactly right.
Speaker 2: But she comes in and it's funny.
Speaker 1: I could not figure out if they were together or not, because uh, Katerina and Kevin have such really they have really good chemistry on camera, and the only way I could figure out if they were married is is I looked for their ring fingers. I was like, wait, are like, what's going on? And then I had totally also forgotten that they basically fostered a baby together, and I think he ends up adopting the baby.
Speaker 2: Does he have a child? Now?
Speaker 1: I don't know he does, but like you know, Grays, you know, it's like hard for me to remember these things anyway, So it's it does set up that storyline, and then we do cut back and to the hospital. Andrew is stroking the the wall, Maggie is running.
Speaker 2: And then when Maggie tells Arizona that she's never ever been high before and that she's not she doesn't make a choice when she gets drunk, so she thinks that she needs to be alone. Arizona's like, you cannot leave me alone. I need to be with someone, and is that when you bring it.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's not the moment, but you end up you do end up bringing them into that room.
Speaker 2: I forget what that room is. No, I think we go into a different room at that point. But then so before Amelia goes to Owen's, she goes into her lab and she finds Alex, and Alex is very apparently hot.
Speaker 1: Reveal of Alex in that like I put weird science in my notes.
Speaker 2: I don't even know what it is.
Speaker 1: It looked like in Back to the Future when Doc is wearing that thing on his head.
Speaker 2: That's what it reminded me of. It cracked me up because I don't.
Speaker 1: Think Alex appears in the big auditorium scene, or at least we don't see him, and so it's just revealed. Of course at some point he's had his hands in that cookie jar. Oh yeah, it's perfect Alex Karev. And it's a very funny reveal. And so he's he gets evacuated from the hospital and he's then you know, that's where that storyline is coming with me, is coming with me.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, Jackson and Catherine are back, and then it cuts back and I wrote down thirteen women. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this this storyline, even though they're high, these two together are sort of working through the reveal and truth of this that I think it was a great storyline because we'll talk.
Speaker 2: About this at some point.
Speaker 1: But Katherine, it kind of explains the position she was in and that times have changed, and she you know.
Speaker 2: Well because well at this point, I think she's really just saying, listen, there's stuff you didn't know. Now you're going to have to be a big boy and no, and I'm going to tell you what happened. And he's all full of judgment and like this is so bad, how could you do this? It starts to set up that, yeah, this is so bad, and they're thirteen women and it's it's all very much. It seems like it's very directionally going at Catherine like she's done something wrong. Meanwhile, they don't know that April is there, and she overhears the whole conversation. Yeah, she does that creepy, little like weird slide out at the end by the door.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so now she's ever heard this. Now, now you find out that it affects the whole hospital. Yes, yeah. So Meredith is like, we're done. We're canceling surgeries, all all the surgeries that are elective or can be postponed. We're cut, we're cutting. And then she sees the interns and this was the part where I was actually a bit like I had to question myself.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about this moment too, because this is a moment where I'm talking to the interns, just sort of with Meredith, and first off, I was like, oh, Blue Life, Blue Scrubs, Like it brought me back a little bit. I was like, oh, And it was also a little bit where we got to play a little a little comedy and a little like improvvness with the playfulness of Joe being in charge to the interns. I haven't seen that intern class in a long time, so I used to like see all those faces. Yeah, but yeah, so that in that moment, it gets revealed, right that one of the one of the one of the guys is lying.
Speaker 2: No, it's not revealed though, he just they all deny it and you and if you were really paying attention, you would remember that Vic was there and he did have a cookie, but it wasn't like featured, so it wasn't like he's lying. He's lying. He's lying.
Speaker 1: Well, isn't there like a punch in on him? Maybe in that moment maybe, But my point is I missed it. I think there's a little punchin on him that's like a wink wink, Remember those guys a little bell a liar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, he's yeah, he seems a little sparmy. Okay. So then something happens that I forgot that I think is such a genius Julie Wong touch, which is that Meredith gets a page that's nine to one one, so she from Bailey. So she goes to ba Bailey's o R and you forgot that Bailey had a cookie and she's like, I'm feeling a little dizzy and like yes, and.
Speaker 1: You're like, not Bailey, Yes, and shout out to our director because that like that you I don't know what that camera thing is the it's also stupid where the background's moving but you're a still and it really does feel trippy. Loved all of that in the whole episode because it's used multiple times and it does disorientate your disorient tid disoriented. And and by the way, this is the I feel like, this is the first moment that we see Levi and Jake.
Speaker 2: Brella looks so young and he's got his glasses on.
Speaker 1: The glasses on so cute. But yes, she can't she's tripping. She's tripping the balls.
Speaker 2: So Meredith is like, don't worry, I got you. I'm gonna take this over because it's already started, so we can't push this off. And then while she's saying, are you sure I got you? Sure you got you, she closes the door on Meredith's hand. On the hand, there's a hand.
Speaker 1: Now Meredith can't and by the way, that is you cannot squish Meredith Gray's hand. No, that's a dicey situation. Wait why oh, just Jake, because it's Meredith great.
Speaker 2: Are he can't hurt her? We've hurt her a lot.
Speaker 1: We've hurt her a lot, but like we have her, but she needs the hands are important.
Speaker 2: The show has almost drowned her. It is almost It's true. It's true. Yes, but you taking issue with the hand in the door. The door, the hand in the door. It frightened me, jump scare for me. When I was watching, I was not okay. So she's not going to be able to do this surgery. So who is Joe Wilson? Who's going to do this surgery? Joe Wilson? And do you know what I got to get that?
Speaker 1: I got to get them a little behind the scenes about this because there was and still sort of is a running joke that all Joe ever did in any surgery was suction.
Speaker 2: That was a joke that happened to a lot of people. There were a lot of people who were just suctioners.
Speaker 1: We and so and so this was a moment that I, I don't know, Jessin Williams loves to give me the little pokey bokes about the I only do a suction. This was a moment where it was Joe's time to shine. Yeah, and I remember is an actor being like, hell, yeah, Joe, you get your.
Speaker 2: Butt in there.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's not how she felt. She was like, you get a scalpel. She was, yeah, you get a scalpel and you go in. So I was very excited.
Speaker 2: Because you're a real doctor. I love that. And that's the bad assery. Yeah, and when you're in light blue scrubs like those moments, that's real. That's almost like going back to season one, right, Yeah, yeah, I love that. So just as an actor, it's like, yes, no suction. So then I mean, again, I give them all the love in the world, but just because I don't know, maybe we're not going to be here for twelve hours. Uh, Then all the Amelia and Alex stuff is happening at Owen's house and they're cleaning up the house and.
Speaker 1: I know, but you know what, I did love all those scenes, even though it was he did too, but it was so funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we we We're back there.
Speaker 1: Alex is scoffing all of the snacks and cracking cracking me up.
Speaker 2: And I love that, like I love that.
Speaker 1: It's him because of course he's the only character that's going to be like and he literally says, you are so screwed right now. He's he's the opposite of Amelia.
Speaker 2: He's not you got this. He's like, you don't got this. He's like, you absolutely don't got this.
Speaker 1: And he's laughing and there's like chips coming out of his mouth, and it's just you needed Alex there for that moment for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very funny, Julie. But there's something about his character where even though he's saying you don't got this, you still know you do because he's not freaking out. He's kind of like always got this. Like there's a lightness to like he's chuckling at you, which makes you feel like it can't be that bad. He's just kind of laughing. It's gonna be okay. I think I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, like, I don't I think he really thinks he's probably a little bit screwed.
Speaker 2: But okay, so he tells me he screwed that we go back to the skills lap.
Speaker 1: And you I put down in my notes Arizona is guarding a weed prison. Yes, that's what that room feels like to me. Where you guys were on the couch.
Speaker 2: He's okay.
Speaker 1: So Andrew's like, he's on the he's on the floor, and he's I forget Janine's character's name, Janny Mason. I just loved Janine so much. She was so great. She was so she only because she got a big job.
Speaker 2: She got like some big show from there, right she did.
Speaker 1: She got roswell, she got a fancy show, right right, and of course she got it because she's fantastic. And just even seeing a glimpse of her face on the laying next to de Luca, I was like.
Speaker 2: Sam Bellow. She played doctor sam Bello.
Speaker 1: That's right, yeah, sam Bello, she played sam Bello. Seeing her gorgeous.
Speaker 2: Face, yeah, the nicest actress.
Speaker 1: It made me feel like Andrew, I was like, you know what, I'm heartbroken too that we we lost her. But this scene is so funny between you guys. Do you remember filming this because she's banging on about cheese and you're talking about Karina.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah that's what. That's the room where I felt like we were the longest, at least filming the longest.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: She starts talking about cheese and then I'm on the couch. I remember it was a leather couch and it was squeak every time. I was a squeaky Yes, it just makes it. You got to watch that for sound, yeah and bow and sound would be like apshaw, stop moving. Yeah yeah yeah, so I was very still yeah yeah, which kind of worked.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you remember finding it hard to get through that scene because she's like Swiss?
Speaker 2: Yes, we had I would have last for each other. But also we had no prompts. It was like none of our lines. Normally, in a conversation, your line makes sense because of what the other character said right before you, but in this situation, all of our lines were We were just having conversations with ourselves. Yeah, and then they were but then there was like someone else that was talking, like interjecting. Totally nonlinear to what you were saying. And so I found this kind of interesting because you know, I always found Arizona to be so confident, Like you didn't see her question herself a lot, Like she was always very from being lesbianic to like never having questioned her sexuality as a kid, which is like who does that? That's a superhero? Like just always straight straight, well not straight, but very straight about her ideas, like knowing exactly who she was and what she was, and so you don't see a lot of you don't see her insecurities so much, you don't see her questioning herself so much, And so I thought it was kind of interesting that there she was talking about whether or not she was going too fast with Karina, but then she starts talking about having been ghosted, and then she talks about having been left and then and so you have like this like triple packed punch of Arizona going huh. I heard her saying, am I not good enough? Right? Like? Am I not? Am I not someone that people stay for?
Speaker 1: Do you remember in this episode when you're playing these scenes, do you remember? Because I thought the episode was going to end with you breaking up with Karina, and so I was quite surprised. We can talk about this at the end. Do you remember the filming this, whether you feel like Arizona was going to you felt like it was going to be starting to lean out of the relationship as opposed to lean in.
Speaker 2: I think that maybe the reason that you might have thought that was because she had the slip where she was talking about Calie.
Speaker 1: She does later, yes, but even saying like we're moving too fast?
Speaker 2: Am I moving too fast?
Speaker 1: I don't know, I kind of okay, No, I mean you player, you tell me.
Speaker 2: I wish that they had had more scenes where you saw what they like so much about each other, because you really just had to guess, like, you know, it worked for us to be together, and we had that very funny first scene where we're like, yeah, making out, But it wasn't like you didn't see us like becoming friends too, Like you didn't see us becoming like deepening the relationship and figuring out what we liked so much Buddy to Anyways, Yes, she's talking about cheese and then it goes back.
Speaker 1: To Bailey by which, yes, they're so funny. I love you, don't You don't see these two characters together very much. Both of them say they've never done pop before, and and it just starts to set up this amazing twosome that we again don't see much and uh and and and where it goes from there, But it's the beginning really of those two.
Speaker 2: In another we Jail Another where April starts it off with I know something I heard something that I shouldn't have heard and end of an era.
Speaker 1: At the end of a bad, bad era, and you're like, oh, You're.
Speaker 2: Like, well, I guess she wasn't going to keep that secret for sure.
Speaker 1: Well you're kind of like you're kind of wondering, like how what you know? Because she's high, Like it is intriguing because you're like, what has she heard? How she interpreted it? Is she gonna spill all the beans?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And to Bailey, yeah yeah, of all people, who's just I mean, honestly, she's she's just I don't know, I can't even come up with a right word for what Bailey is, but she's definitely like she just seems like she's the one. She's like the I want to say that oracle. It's not the oracle she's like, but she's like the if you wanted to know whether something was fair or not, you'd go to Bailey. She seems like she's the person who just has all the answers. Yeah, she does, and she would figure it out. She'd be my phone a friend, you know, like if you call it.
Speaker 1: You have an opportunity to call someone that Bailey can also cause her ruckus when she knows yes, and so you know that this information is not gonna it's not gonna be smooth sailing by any means.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 1: So then cut to Miss Joe Wilson in her surgery. Yep, and I wanted to shout out to Linda Kleine, Linda Kohn.
Speaker 2: I say, bring the scans over, and we need to talk about Linda Klein. So Linda, and she goes, yes doctor, which I love her, love yes doctor.
Speaker 1: Yes, Linda makes me feel so good. So Linda's a real surgeon. She's an executive producer on our show. She's been here like literally since the beginning of time.
Speaker 2: She was on Niptock before.
Speaker 1: And she is the one that actually during scenes, she during the or scenes or any of these medical scenes, she comes in. She Corey Grass that she tells us what we're doing wrong, What we need to do right mostly what we're doing wrong.
Speaker 2: She is the absolutely best. I mean it is the best. Talk about like the heartbeat of a show.
Speaker 1: I mean, yes, so she's just bringing scans to me, but really that she is the doctor, the real doctor. God in the room is Linda Klein. And I did get a kick out of her saying yes, doctor, Yes.
Speaker 2: I told I I saw her. And whenever I see her, it's like, oh, yes, I'm so happy. Bokey's in the room too.
Speaker 1: Bokey is in that surgery too, and Bokey has been with us forever.
Speaker 2: Quick quick story, real quick.
Speaker 1: When I very first started the show, how I met Bokey is that Shanda Rhimes before I even no maybe i'd filmed something, but she sent me to watch a real surgery and Bokey was doing that real surgery, open heart surgery. And that's the first time I met her. She helped me scrub in. She's just doing anything, scrub nurse and so h So Bokey's there and Joe and LEVI, you know, like they're not friends really yet, I think, but but they obviously slept together at this point. But it's fun that I love it when they're own surgery is together. Then it's backed to Jackson and MoMA Avery.
Speaker 2: Yep, and they're going to get into it. They're going to get into it because he's freaking out and he's not understanding why his mom is so calm because it's all new information to him. So then they kind of get into the whole thing about reminding us that they're actually both high too, so they are both high while this guy saying very big thing.
Speaker 1: These two are the most I think these two are the most grounded high for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, for sure. Then we're back because then we're back.
Speaker 1: To Owen and uh and Alex Kreb is not a grounded high Alex Kreb has made a chip baby.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I remember when the table read these moments with Alex.
Speaker 1: Being high and just thinking it was so hysterical because then the baby comes in and Alex pretends he's there, he's supposed to be in the back room, but it smells like Owen or something smells too much like oh.
Speaker 2: Yes, guess yes, but wait, also just to go back because I actually thought that like wow, because there's things that are in you know, headlines right now that are quite that touched on the same topic. But I actually took I took a screenshot.
Speaker 1: Of it, so I was like, you know what, Oh, let me see what is it?
Speaker 2: Well, no, it's the words to the scene because when Jackson really gives Catherine a hard time and says like, what the heck, like, you don't get to do that? Why did you get why did you keep this a secret? And she come she starts to come back at him because she realizes something, and she says to him, no, no, no, you do not get to do that. You do not get to stand there in judgment of me thirty years ago, getting harassed at work, getting groped at work wasn't something we could protest. It was something we had to take with our morning coffee. It was part of the job. And if we made a noise, if we fussed, we were told we were overreacting, and more often than not, we lost the job and our reputation along with it. I was not then who I am now. I didn't have the voice then that I have now. I had choices. I could stand there and let your grandfather fire those women and drag them through the mud, or I could make sure they got some money a leg to stand on a path to move forward. I'm not ashamed of myself, Jackson, but I am ashamed of what your grandfather did. And I'm so sorry that now you have to carry that burden along with me. Did you pull up the script? Did you go back and google the script in your phone? I to, well, when I was watching it, I had the captions on. Oh yeah, and I screenshot every single line because I was like, I had to go.
Speaker 1: Back because I was like, oh, good, Julie, so glad we went back, Julie.
Speaker 2: Those are such I mean.
Speaker 1: So it just this is what this is what I love, love love about Crazy Anatomy so much as these writers are so good, and it started so early from episode one, and it just has carried on and we are talking about season fourteen right now, this episode of season fourteen, and it keeps doing it, which is just illuminating the challenge, illuminating the hardship and things are not simple, and sexual harassment is not simple.
Speaker 2: It is very nuanced, and each situation in which it occurs is obviously individual, but how often, no matter, what seems to be associated with sexual harassment is that the woman did something wrong, that she overreacted, that she you know that she did something, and almost always it seems like it's the woman that gets blamed. And I mean, if you go after listen, if you start looking around at everything that anyone's ever done in their life, you're likely to find something. Right. But I think that we lose sight of the point, which is that all that matters is the sexual harassment. In a court of law or in a court of public opinion, all the matters is the offense. Who the person was or how they dealt with it is not the issue. Anyways, I digress. No, No, I think it's a great I don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't want to skip over it, to be honest, because I think that one thing that it makes you ruminate about is that and this still happens, is this is not not you can there's still a feeling that you can't speak up for many many reasons and all different kinds of environments and jobs and family and all the things. And I think that women were have this expert level of finding ways to shake it off, laugh it off, yeah, make a joke of it, make it highte like, however you needed to deal And I think that we deal with this in so many episodes on Graze.
Speaker 2: But this speech of hers taking.
Speaker 1: It with your morning coffee, that line is fantastic because it feels it for a time and for some people it still does.
Speaker 2: It feels like that's just part of life. Just endure it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, okay, glad we went back. I'm so glad you took pictures of that, right that that was probably the most important moment of the whole show. But we do go back to uh, to Alex Greb and his crushed chip baby and the and the baby arriving, and then we go to Richard and the weak cookies.
Speaker 2: Yes, and now he's now at least we have another responsible doctor. We have someone else, thank god.
Speaker 1: At this point we're like using the janitor for like surgeries. We have someone that did not take the wee cookies. And then we're dealing with an intern who is high doctor Roy and a central.
Speaker 2: Line, yeah, because he responds to he responds.
Speaker 1: To uh, you know, being paged and someone needs a central line and he doesn't want to do it. And then we get to see Helmum Parker. These are our interns. We haven't seen it so long, I mean, how we still have the show. But yeah, I knew when we were reading this at the table read, I was like, this is this is one of those dramas where you know, because we tend on the show to you know, not everyone makes it.
Speaker 2: It's part of the show always. I mean, it's been part of that speech from.
Speaker 1: Day one, like look at the person next to you, they may be gone, and so you know that that's part of our storytelling. And when we got to that part, I was like, oh, this may be the end for this doctor.
Speaker 2: I was like, this doctor may be heading in well, and it goes from bad to worse, right because you know that he's hosed, but now he gets double hosed because he ends up running into the part that has the scalpel and then and it's pretty bad. Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: And we should say, by the way that like we as actors, we are not always aware of who is leaving. Sometimes we really do discover these things in the tape read. I'm like, oh my god, that character's going that actor knows, but like we, you know, it's not always discussed with all of us and like a huge group meeting. So it was still surprising that this is where the storyline was going. But as we were reading the table read. I was like, oh boy, then it's back to Miss Joe Wilson and she's decided that the weber pen is going to be used. I think we should talk about redly quick because this is the surgery of the episode, all of that stuff.
Speaker 2: That you're seeing. It's like, we have this body cat.
Speaker 1: We have this body like a torso basically, and it's the middle is cut out. It looks like it's put out, and it's almost like a bowl, right, like a rectangle bowl, and we shove stuff in there, so that's like a lot of plastic guts, and we fill it with blood and all the things so that we can suction, and we fill it with water. But I believe that's most likely what's on the table. There is this this this fake mannequin with a a hole in the middle. Yeah, to make this all happen. But she comes up with this great plan. She can use the weber pen so that she doesn't maybe have to take out all of the all of the organ and find where the cancer ends. And uh and Levi assent on his way. But there's also that back and forth with Meredith of like Joe desperately wanting the answer and Meredith knows best. She knows that Joe needs to figure this out by herself. She already knows the answer, but she she needs to know it. Then we go to the intern and I.
Speaker 2: Think you need to talk. I think you I'm gonna hit it to you.
Speaker 1: How do we squirt blood on people along Gray's Nani Jessica Capsuaw, what what is the way that we do that? Because we do it all the time. Well, you mean, like the technicality, like, let's let them know, like how we make that happen on our show.
Speaker 2: Blood gets squirted all over God, And it's actually very like technically, it's very very technical. They're like little balloons of blood and they are like pellets or packets of blood, and then when you perforate them, blood explodes because they've got a little well, if there's someone standing off to the side with a little air hose and they're like make it, they're pumping it to make the blood squirt. Yeah, yeah, so yeah, that's how it goes up a little tube and it can as much or as little as you want. But sometimes and sometimes when we're doing it, it doesn't work, and we have often tiles. Sometimes we have top.
Speaker 1: Issues and we're waiting for an explosion of blood and things.
Speaker 2: Go wrong and that's the show business, baby, that's exactly right, and what and the show must what go on? The show must go on, all right. So then it goes back to my weed prison, where Andrew is still hallucinating and he's starting to see his girlfriend Sam and crying. That broke my heart when he was crying. Oh, I know, I hate that. Maggie is now on the dissection table where the first and only time you've ever seen this thing, but she's touching it the first time though I don't seen it before. I don't.
Speaker 1: I think it may have been introduced in a different episode. Maybe you tell us, guys, you tell us. But it was a great use of that table.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and organs are showing up and then they're going away, and she's touching it and she's manipulating it. And then Arizona's laying there on the thing and the couch again and she's talking about how with Karina it feels right, and then she brings up Calli's name by accident, and then Arizona wonders why she said that. But then you plant that, like you know, there's still that part of her life, and then she talks about how they.
Speaker 1: Drive her crazy and bid, yeah, I love that Arizona is just spilling it because it is not an Arizona.
Speaker 2: You guys are not close friends. She's not a friend of Arizona. Nope, nope, but she just she says it all. But that's the this is the sad part when she says when Arizona says, eventually everyone leaves her, and I was like, I remember thinking back then that I didn't know that my character felt that way.
Speaker 1: And I was like, oh, so, oh, I know that's hard when you get those scripts and you're like, wait, yeah, I feel that way.
Speaker 2: That sucks. Yeah, but that's but that's when she realizes the why she's holding onto Krina so tight. Right, She's like, oh my gosh, I can't let her go. I'm letting this go so fast because I don't want to lose her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you had that little Freudian slip of CALLI baby, I know, I know, it's all I mean, listen, this is what we're talking about. This is when you know, like you're wondering, is this ship gonna be a little in between me? Or is it gonna set sail and the little Cali slip was like, hmmm, this feels between me between sexy sees.
Speaker 2: I mean, as you said earlier, I think that they actually could have gone the distance. I think that they could have been a compelling couple. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's something else happening in this scene.
Speaker 2: Maggie does lose the liver. Yeah, she finds that. She's like, it's gone, and it's that's so funny. Okay, So I think that you know, listen, you can't know what you haven't learned yet. And this is our first rewatch, so we had no idea how long it would take us to talk about this, that and the other. But here we are at a normal episode marker for our show, and we still got a lot to talk about. And I don't want to rush it. I don't want to rush it. So I'm feeling like, maybe we push this and we do a whole other episode that finishes this rewatch. What do you think?
Speaker 1: I think we do that because I don't want to. I I'm so excited about this. I feel like the crew are so excited about this and this this episode is jam packed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and by the way, since this is our first one, we may hear from you all. Hey, guess what. We actually want you to speed it up and we want to hear about it in one hour. That's great. We will have learned well for this one. Let's call this the end of the episode.