Speaker 1: Hey, thanks for listening to the Coveno and Rich podcast.
Speaker 2: Be sure to catch us live every weekday from five to seven Eastern to the four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 3: Find your local station for Coveno on Rich at Foxsports Radio dot com, or stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app. It's like searching FSR.
Speaker 2: All right, Hey, Iowa, Sam says we're hot. I think that means we're on the air or he's just really complimenting us today.
Speaker 1: Oh thanks Sam.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we're badcasting live from the Fox Sports Radio Studio.
Speaker 1: We are Covino and Rich. We're pretty hot.
Speaker 2: And if you miss any of today's shown you want to catch the podcast. Search Covino and Rich wherever you stream your podcast. But better yet, you could see what Sam's talking about. See the hotness, Yes, so hot.
Speaker 1: That's right time in Live today, So hot. Want to touch the heinies? So hot?
Speaker 2: See what you hear Covino and Rich FSR on YouTube and joining the live chat. We have midweek major We gotta talk Bell. We have lots to get to, but first we rock out.
Speaker 3: Let's go all right, doing it live from the Fox Sports Radio Studio and live anything Today Danny g does such a great job putting up Our podcast does the best of every day. And if you want to see our crew and watch instead of listen, like you said, YouTube dot com, slash at Covin on rich FSR. Let's start this bad boy, let's uh the wild rumpust begin.
Speaker 1: It's a rumpus, not a rumpus.
Speaker 2: But I do want to say hello to Kay Rain and Wilhelm and a Criner and Wes and everyone chiming in and chopping it up already. If you want to talk some smack, you could either call at eight seven seven ninety nine on Fox or hit us up on YouTube.
Speaker 3: You're a you're a fan of a nice wild rumpus, huh. I A rumpus is right, And I saw you know why?
Speaker 1: I saw it today Sidney Sweeney, Sidney Sweeney and her new lingerie brand. Yeah, I saw that too.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, Nicki Minaj was all over the news day with her rumpus. But that's a whole other story. We're gonna take you back way back on a Wednesday to nineteen eighty six. On this day, something tragic and memorable yet memorable happened on this day we're going to talk about that. Rich is watching a new show and let's just say it involves a superstar athlete's mom.
Speaker 1: And he has a thought on that.
Speaker 2: We gotta talk Belichick and I know Stu Gotts was talking about it all day.
Speaker 1: But it's a huge story, no doubt.
Speaker 2: But Rich, this Schwartz story is sort of funny, and Swart saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe the Schwartz be with you.
Speaker 2: After the Browns informed defensive coach Jim Schwartz this morning they were passing him over to hire Todd Monk, and you just heard Dan Byer talking about it as head coach.
Speaker 1: Schwartz apparently was visibly upset.
Speaker 2: And when I say visibly upset, I imagine steam coming out his ears.
Speaker 1: He said goodbye in the building, he was like, peace out comes down, and he told all the other coaches. Is that a direct quote peace out? Cup scout?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm improvising a little bit, Rich, using my imagination.
Speaker 1: On sources say he said peace out, pig snout.
Speaker 4: Oh that's from a Cleveland Brown source piece big.
Speaker 2: Snout, And he says, get this though this is true. He tells the other coaches he's not coming back. That's according to sources. Schwartz is currently under contract with Cleveland. They want to retain it, but his future is now unclear. Get this, He's been is the defensive coordinator since twenty twenty three. He's still supposed to be on the team, but he already sort of made a scene and it's kind of an interesting story.
Speaker 1: Again. Todd Munkin is back. He was the offensive coordinator.
Speaker 2: For the Ravens, and even before that, he was the offensive coordinator with the Browns in twenty nineteen, so he has history with the He's now the head coach.
Speaker 1: But Schwartz is like, I'm not having it.
Speaker 2: He feels overlooked and undermined and mad about the whole situation.
Speaker 3: I'll say this the same way Mike McDaniel is known as an offensive mind, Right, Mike McDaniels, You're like, yeah, I would love to have that guy run my team, but maybe not as a head coach.
Speaker 1: He's an offensive guy.
Speaker 3: Dan Byers, It's safe to say Jim Schwartz is one of those guys that any team would beg to have him be the DC, but maybe not the head coach.
Speaker 5: I think that's fair. I do think that he does rub some people the wrong way. So I don't know if it would be every team, but bring to your point about being a head coach versus defensive coordinator kind of in that realm that you're looking at it. Yeah, yeah, I think that he's best suited probably as a defensive course.
Speaker 3: In fact, Brandon who works here, one of our buds, big Niners fan, like I am, He's like, how do your place? Robert Sella You strike while this guy's mad and say, yo, Jim Schwartz come to the Niners. A guy like that could get the Niners defense back on track.
Speaker 2: And he feels wanted, and that seems to be what motivates the guy. He just wants to feel wanted and desired and not overlooked. And of course he was in the moment he just got this news, but he did act like a bit of a sports baby, big baby Schwartz Matt one nine nine said, But he pieced everybody out.
Speaker 1: That's kind of awkward. Now do you think he's gonna come back?
Speaker 2: You know what it does make you think of like other moments which where you just saw people lose their lose their ass, lose they're cool at the workspace and just.
Speaker 3: Bounce reminds me of a classic Seinfeld episode. I know Spot and iwa Sam and the Seinfeld fans know this. But remember when George quit and then he just went back to work and pretended that it never happened.
Speaker 6: Is that Costanza over there? What are you doing here?
Speaker 3: But?
Speaker 6: Am I crazy? Or didn't you quit? What? What d you?
Speaker 1: You took that? Seriously? Oh funny? And that's based on a true story.
Speaker 3: Larry David quits Saturday Night Live and the story goes Larry David's roommates like, yeah, just go back into the writer's room tomorrow and like, just pretend it never happened.
Speaker 1: He did that, and apparently it worked.
Speaker 3: So maybe Jim Schwartz comes back tomorrow and he's like, hey, what's up guys?
Speaker 1: But you know who?
Speaker 2: That's awkward for the people he said goodbye to, because I want i'd want my goodbye back.
Speaker 1: Like, dude, you said goodbye on Wednesday. I'm not you know, if you all right?
Speaker 2: So you know what, if you do ever quit or after this season you get fired, I'm not gonna say goodbye again. We already went through this. It's a little awkward. So a lot of people hitting this up. Rich saying that he's just better. A lot of coaches are just better at offensive or defensive coaches than head coaches. He's just not head coach material. But who wants to hear that before they even get the chance?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: We've all been told what we're good at, and not everybody was right along the way. Rich, were you ever put in your place by a boss because they thought you could do whatever and you proved them wrong along the way?
Speaker 1: I mean, how do we.
Speaker 2: Know that just because he is a great defensive mind doesn't mean necessarily he can't be a good head coach?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: But anyway, are there other examples Larry David style that come to mind?
Speaker 3: I mean, I've seen people get fired up and walk out, and then you wonder, well, like cause you don't know sometimes.
Speaker 1: Like are they coming back? Dude? Our video guys Spot a couple of years ago.
Speaker 3: I think it was around the time Spot you started taking like testosterone shots or something. Do you remember you walked out of our podcast. You slammed down your stuff and just left.
Speaker 2: I remember it's on video somewhere if you guys want to look for it and do a deep dive. Patreon dot Com, Slash Covino and Rich.
Speaker 3: I mean, spot, was there a part of you that's like, I'm not coming back or is it just a little hissy.
Speaker 1: Fit at the time, little beefit.
Speaker 7: I mean, I didn't want to leave you guys hanging because you can't function on your own.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Papa. I didn't mean it.
Speaker 3: But I worked with a guy in New York once, our buddy Ryan.
Speaker 1: We were at a breakfast.
Speaker 3: He did not like how the boss criticized him, and he was like, I'm out of here. And it was even more embarrassing because his coat got caught on the chair at the restaurant, so he started dragging the chair through the restauran. He's like, you know what, I've had enough of this. I don't you can't tell me how to do my radio show anymore. He gets up, his jackets caught, so the chair dragging across the restaurant. You were really making a statement like that, and I think because of the embarrassment of the moment, it's sort of lightened the mood and we're like, all right, relax, come back, sit out, like you know. I wonder if had his jacket not get caught, would have been more of a dramatic you know.
Speaker 7: Later take you seriously is to have your jacket caught and then you drag it out of the restaurant, like this is comical.
Speaker 2: You showed the boss. You made your point. Man, he's furious. It reminds me of an old Mitch Hedberg joke. He's like, yeah, I got into a fight, got into an argument with my girlfriend in the tent.
Speaker 1: Did you ever hear that one? Rich?
Speaker 2: No, He's like, a tent is a terrible place to get into an argument because you can't slam the flap, he said, and then he tried to slam the flap on his way out, and it just really doesn't leave the impact.
Speaker 3: I've heard other people talk about how since we've gone from the house, you know, landlines to smartphones hanging up on someone, younger people will never know the joy of, like, yeah, what.
Speaker 1: Have you slammed the fight? What do you slam the phone? You aggressively?
Speaker 3: Do?
Speaker 1: Either point your finger hang up, Like does no slam in the phone anymore either.
Speaker 2: He's just like a loose can and some people have, you know, bigger tempers than others. But he really just was furious to hear this news because when you when you do things like that, you've truly had enough.
Speaker 3: You want to come, you know, I want you on a way back Wednesday to imagine that sound of a phone slamming that you haven't heard in years, like just when an ex girlfriend or someone.
Speaker 1: You would you would just hear that, like it was a legit, like y'all, oh she's mad. What's now? Like the phone hello? Huh huh, Like it's just the phone just goes dead. That's it. Yeah, it's just that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really no impact. But again, if you just joined us Jim Schwartz, well he was he was overlooked. At least he feels overlooked. And the Browns are going with a new head coach and Todd Mounkin. He's not vibing with it. And he left, he said goodbye and he stormed off. So what's gonna happen again? As the news story goes, his future is unclear. He's still under contract. But it does make you think of like Scarfaced from Half.
Speaker 1: Baked A few few you're you cool? F you amau you know and.
Speaker 7: Stee Steve is a Isn't that like just basically a recreation or parody of Jerry maguire.
Speaker 1: He's like, Who's He's like, who's coming, Who's coming with me? He's got to come.
Speaker 3: I guess it was a little different. Yeah, I heard Jim Schwarts held up a golfish. That is a true story, I heard, right.
Speaker 2: But that's what makes it so funny because it's it's art imitating life, right. But I feel like we see it more in art, more in movies than we actually do in real life.
Speaker 1: How many times in your life have you seen this? You're there at the office and some guy just loses it.
Speaker 2: Rich and I have one story it comes to mind where we're in the studio and you know, one of the programmers called up an old producer of ours and yelled at him, whatever the kid.
Speaker 1: If you if you remember our old producer, Sammy.
Speaker 2: Rich, he threw the chair down, he started throwing stuff and stormed out of the studio.
Speaker 1: Like those are memorable moments.
Speaker 2: But in our twenty years of working together it happened once, and we've worked in several different offices, we haven't seen anyone storm off.
Speaker 1: So that's what it's a really funny story.
Speaker 2: I mean, not to him, but if you can imagine what the scene was like, like, what a big baby. It's never fun to be overlooked or feel that way. That's not my point. Have you ever heard about his reactions?
Speaker 3: Have you ever seen someone at a restaurant or like a old cafe or deli quit? Have you ever seen someone quit? Not at your job, like you're just happy to see it go down again? More in movies, Like I saw someone once at like a New York City little you know, like a little coffee breakfast spot, get in a fight. He took his apron off, his little little you know, pastry little apron deal, slammed it down and he's like, I have this, I'm out of here. And he hopped over the counter and left. And I'm like, oh damn.
Speaker 2: You have to like deep, dig deep into the memory just to pull out that story. But again, I think he's in a really awkward situation now, being that he said goodbye to the other coaches and I'm sure the other faculty, the security guy, the parking dude he bounced. I don't know if he took a box with him or what, but he in anger and you have to imagine and again I'm speculating that he and Todd munkin if he were to come back, are going to have to have a conversation about why he feels this way. Right, So he did act like a big baby, but these are big opportunities. No one wants to be overlooked. Like I said, but what are your thoughts on Jim Schwartz storming out of the facility, Todd Munkin's the new Coach, and any other examples of you just hello, yeah, witnessing things like this first hand.
Speaker 1: I do want to give it a little context.
Speaker 3: Jim Schwartz obviously overlooked, but if you do look at his career as a head coach, he got five seasons with the Lions, and the one season he did have a winning record and went to the playoffs. I remember they started really really good and then you know, so that tailed off. But as a head coach Cavino twenty nine and fifty one, he had a two and fourteen season, six and ten, ten and six, four and twelve, seven and nine, and historically, if you look at Jim Schwartz, a.
Speaker 1: Great defensive mind. Van Baltimore Ravens linebacker coach, Tennessee Titans defensive assistant linebacker coach, defensive coordinator for the Titans after he had his little chance as a head coach in Detroit, Buffalo Bill's defensive coordinator, Eagles defensive coordinator, Titans defensive assistant, and then coordinator again for the Browns. So he's his twenty twenty three yea.
Speaker 3: I look at it from his perspective, He's like, listen, I've proven myself time and time again defensively. Am I going to get another shot? Because he's seeing guys getting third shots? So does Jim Schwartz even deserve a second chance?
Speaker 4: And remember he's watching another coordinator get the head coaching gig exactly. So if it was like some you know, John Harbaugh or something like that, maybe.
Speaker 1: He could live with it a little bit easier. That's a good point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Ravens coordinator is getting the head gig?
Speaker 1: Why not him? I mean, but let's be real.
Speaker 2: How many people in real life feel over everybody feels that way? Acting that way? I don't I really think ever gets you the job you want. People just talk about you behind your back, and I say, get a load of this guy. He thinks he deserves it. What a big baby, you know? And everybody feels that.
Speaker 3: The job market. Codino is tough, right, no matter what you do for a living. But traditionally speaking in the world of any career, if you get overlooked for something, that's usually indication number one to start putting that resume out there, start making those phone calls, even if it's a lateral move. Here's the deal. If he's with the Cleveland Browns, look at it this way. If he's with the Cleveland Browns and there's a head coaching vacancy and they say we're not going with Jim Schwartz, then he hit his ceiling in Cleveland.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if they're not going with him now, when the opportunity is there, it's gonna be a long while if ever. See, I can't say never because Todd Munkin was not the creator, but with Brown nineteen years later, he got the opportunity.
Speaker 3: The same way you talked about early on in your career when you were a K Rock. You were really great young rock on air talent, but they looked at you as the young guy, and if they were never going to really give you the gig, yeah, had to eventually be like, yeah, I gotta go somewhere else because.
Speaker 2: That was the sentiment, right, you got to go out and get your experience somewhere else and then maybe come back.
Speaker 3: But look, it's also Cleveland, COVID, it's also Cleveland. Where what is the if you had to say there was a redeeming quality of the Cleveland Browns, what do you say?
Speaker 1: It's that?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, the defense kept him in every game even though they stunk. That's a credit to Jim Schwartz. Defense fantastic. That was the one thumbs up. So if you're Jim Schwartz, if you say I'm out of here, you f you.
Speaker 1: You're cool, I'm out there are I.
Speaker 3: Would argue double digit double digits teams that would say, yo, let's let's figure a way to get this guy on board defensively and then maybe you go from there to a head coaching job.
Speaker 1: But to stay in Cleveland, Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Hate that idea of you have to leave and make your mark and then come back.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's what it is.
Speaker 2: The case called, but if you got always the case, because everybody makes their own path in life.
Speaker 1: But there's a lot of truth to it.
Speaker 3: I remember I remember when I worked at hot one oh seven in Syracuse.
Speaker 1: It was just one o seven before you got there. Right here.
Speaker 3: I got there and they're like, now it's hot one o seven, so hot, so hot, so hot.
Speaker 1: Now Rich is like Hansel right now.
Speaker 3: I remember Danny and listen, Danny. You remember your old school days of even music radio. There'd be a vacancy and to be like, yeah, there's an opening for the new night guy. When you're in your early twenties mid twenties, like being the night guys, like that's like the spot, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, usually the Saturday night house party guy on the weekend gets the night gig.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like you want to be on like six to ten PM or seven to eleven, like youah, the night In old school radio, the night guy was.
Speaker 1: Like the cool guy. And I remember the night did the club events.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the nighttime opening got some girls like it was that was the spot, right you wanted to work at the night time spot. When you were twenty two, I remember there was a nighttime opening at Hot one O seven. I was like a weekend guy fill in like I thought I was like the I thought I was next And much like out of a TV show or movie, we had a programming meeting. The whole staff is there and they're like and you know what we're also going to announce the new night guy. And in my mind, I'm like, I'm about to stand up and be like, hey, thanks everybody, and you.
Speaker 1: Don't think they would have talked to you about it prior to the beginning. And in my mind, I'm like, they can announce it right now. I'm a man.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, here a hot one on seven nine. We have a new night guy starting Monday whatever.
Speaker 1: And I'm thinking they're gonna be like Rich Davis, they like Matt Johnson. I'm like Matt Johnson. Matt Johnson's a thweb.
Speaker 2: I'm like, but you know what think about if you acted like Schwartz did, how lame?
Speaker 1: That would be no. But you know what I did.
Speaker 3: I didn't storm out like Matt Swartz, but I immediately was like I'm out of this place. I'll work here and I'll standpoint until I figure it out. But that was my indicator, Yep, that was my indicator, Like, Yo.
Speaker 1: What they think about you? Yeah, I'm out.
Speaker 3: And Cavino and I always said that in our career, like if there, if they're looking for a fun lifestyle sports show and they pick someone other than us, then we got to go somewhere else because that's like, I get what I get.
Speaker 2: I just think there's a way to handle yourself. This this is like the epitome of a hot head. This is hot head baby behaviors as one is outside looking in. But you know what the best one is, This is like second in recent history.
Speaker 3: But Coch, Danny g and Dan Bayer and I was saying, I'm like, I'm a little familiar with schorts for some reason.
Speaker 1: I don't know why. I always found them fascinating.
Speaker 3: We'd all agree he is cut from that like hot head often not really.
Speaker 1: Like other teams.
Speaker 3: You still got to act like a profession I know, but it's sort of an is it tracks as they say, this doesn't shock.
Speaker 1: Me, okay, but one that stands out.
Speaker 2: And I got to give props to Willem and a Criner Green for eight seven to seven on the chat Covino and Rich FSR live chat on YouTube. Antonio Brown was one of the best ones looking back. I mean, clown behavior for sure, but you'll never forget it. You know, there is some beauty in going out like that, if you're really done, that might be the best way. We all had fantasies like that right. I mean, if I ever quit this job one last day, oh man, what I'm gonna do to the boss's desk before I leave?
Speaker 3: Why we all have fan Why does the go to everyone says they want to take a poop on the bus's desk? Why is that like to be? Because you do sometimes, That's why. And that's exactly what I was thinking. I would never do that, but I've dreamt about it.
Speaker 2: But the ab thing, like, of course, he's unhinged and unleashed, and that was so memorable. Imagine just dipping off on the field like that. He went out and on his own tournament.
Speaker 3: There's obviously, you know, I'm probably more than speculation that Antonio Brown is a troubled guy.
Speaker 1: Right. Oh But in that moment, though, you're like, did he just take his jersey off?
Speaker 3: Is he shirtless? Hyping up the crowd, walking out of them? This guy's a lunatan. I think he just quit.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, that's the update, guys, he was he's passed over and Enrich I think you made the best point. Yeah, that's the writing on the wall, so take a good look at it and read it. That's your sign, not just his, your sign that you gotta move somewhere else, move on to get that opportunity. Unfortunately, that's just how things work.
Speaker 3: Do you put ejections in the same categories. That's not getting fired, that's more temporary. But how do you feel about when a manager or a coach quote gets their money's worth? Like when like I remember, like Wally Backman's like throwing bases around or like a loop panela or baby hilarious but in reality embarrassing.
Speaker 2: Here's the difference, Right when I think of Wally Backman or that famous clip of some guy throwing like fake grenades and he's doing an army crawl.
Speaker 1: He's doing an army crawl, some minor league coach. I forget who it was.
Speaker 2: You know, Yeah, as a spectator, as a fan, as a guy who just likes a funny viral video. Yeah, that's great, But imatterine, if that was your dad or your husband or someone you're related to, that's.
Speaker 1: Just embarrassing behavior.
Speaker 2: Like you, you get to a certain level, you have to conduct yourself at a certain level, gotcha, all right?
Speaker 1: Well, hey that's Cavino, I'm rich.
Speaker 3: We got the whole crew here, our dude, Danny g I was Sam Dan Byer Spotty Boy.
Speaker 1: We got midweek major. We're gonna talk about Belichick.
Speaker 3: We're gonna talk about the anniversary of a really tragic event at eighty six and think about where you were forty years ago. We'll get to all that midweek major. Like I said, give away some prizes an action pack Wednesday. Love hanging with you guys here at Fox Sports Radio More.
Speaker 1: Next.
Speaker 8: Hey, it's Ben, host of The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller. Would mean a lot to have you join us on our weekly auditory journey. You're asking, what in God's name is the Fifth Hour. I'll tell you it's a spin off of it. Ben Maler Show, a Colt hit overnights on FSR. Why should you listen? Picture if you will a world will. We chat with captains of industry in media, sports and more every week explore some amazing facts about human nature and more.
Speaker 1: Listen to The Fifth Hour with.
Speaker 8: Ben Maler on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcast or wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the CNR show. Baby, It's good and nice. Dud Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio Live from the Fox Sports Radio Studio.
Speaker 1: We got super producer Danny G.
Speaker 2: Sam Byer Spotty on the videos getting ready for Midweek major the biggest stories in sports and pop culture.
Speaker 1: We do it every Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you joined the video and watch me pick my nose on Covino and Rich FSR on YouTube at Covino and Rich FSR. I'm still on the East Coast making my way back west right after the show.
Speaker 1: And man, I can't believe.
Speaker 2: We're heading to Santa Clara on Sunday bringing you all the Super Bowl coverage come Monday. So pumped about that. Thank you Fox Sports Radio for being a part of it. Remember your next success can begin sooner than you think. Put your goals with then reach at University of Maryland Global Campus, an accredited state university. Apply now and see with no application fee. Classes start February eleventh. Learn more at UMGC dot edu.
Speaker 3: And have you ever wriped with a piece of dry toilet paper and wondered? Does it get better than this?
Speaker 1: It does?
Speaker 3: Switch to life changing extra large flushable dudewipes because wetter just cleans better. Available at Amazon, all major retailers. Dudewipes best clean pants down.
Speaker 2: You think Jim Schwartz only had the dry piece today and he was just you know, a different level of angry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that would explain the f U FU you're cool? I'm out u a lah, we said Jim Schwartz. P the George Costanza if you remember this classic Seinfeld, is.
Speaker 6: That Costanza over there? What are you doing here?
Speaker 2: But?
Speaker 6: Am I crazy? Or didn't you quit? What?
Speaker 1: What? That?
Speaker 6: Are you kidding?
Speaker 8: Now?
Speaker 1: Who?
Speaker 6: You took that serious?
Speaker 1: You took that serious? Jim Schwantz will be back in work tomorrow.
Speaker 3: But again, Cavino, he's a defensive coordinator expert. Does he deserve another head coaching opportunity?
Speaker 1: That's that's up for debate.
Speaker 3: He's like I always looked at Wade Phillips as one of those guys that yeah he got a couple opportunities, but he was Some people are just better at a specialty.
Speaker 2: And you know what, Rich, I'm thinking about it off there, I'm seeing the feedback at Covino on or CHFSR on YouTube, a lot of people talking about Bobby Knight. I'd have to say that in sports the rules are different than in real life. Yeah, they just are right. So again we're talking about a coaches temper. These are football coaches, hot headed college basketball coaches right. I think they played by different rules, but a lot of our conversation was in real life.
Speaker 1: It's hard to come back from these moments. However. You know, I'm picturing lou Panella kicking and screaming like a big baby. You know, it's such a baby, look a sports baby. Look. But nobody wants to feel overlooked, and that's what happened. Well, let's go to a couple of phone calls.
Speaker 3: I do want to point out our buddy Rob, who's listening in our affiliate in San Antonio.
Speaker 1: You're Rob?
Speaker 3: Whoa wait, here's no basement in the Alamo? What's up San Antonio? He said that minor league manager that you guys joked about, he went ballistic and through the hand grenades. That's Philip Wellman. He did that in the two thousand and seven Mississippi Braves Chattanooga Lookouts. I know this because manager Bobby Cox had no problem with it and extended his minor league contract the next year, and all the teammates, coaches, everyone seemed to love it internally. But I remember seeing it being like, this guy's lost his mind and we're reaping all the betute and that guy's of San Antonio native coach Philip Wellman. So look at that all, let's go to Virginia. I want to say, I had to Tony hey Don.
Speaker 1: Yeah, here for Jim Schwartz his job. He ought to work.
Speaker 8: Something out with the Ravens and become the DC there and play the Browns twice a year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know what, those little rivalries would be great for football. I mean, I just think that in certain scenarios, if there's other options, sometimes you got to bite your tongue and say, all right, I'll play it out until something fits for me. But I think if Jim Schwartz said I'm out, I'm available now, Am I crazy to say that there would be a team in the NFL that would jump to Jim Schwartz. I'm even thinking, like I said my forty nine ers with Robert Salagan, I think there could be some room for a guy like him.
Speaker 2: Every industry is different, Rich, But what do we often say when things like this occur in the professional work world. I mean, well, did he make it very clear to ownership that he wanted that job? I assume he did. For him to react that way, he had to have made it very clear that he wanted that job. If not, that's on him. And we say that to so many people. Hey, man, are you sure they know that you want the job. Don't just assume just because you're working hard that they got you written down just in case.
Speaker 1: You got to make it very very.
Speaker 3: Clear, no joke. I mean, we've joked about it here, but not really. We've said, if there's a legend on this network, whether it be DP or Colin, if one of these guys decides they're going to retire, we've made it very clear.
Speaker 1: I'm putting my hand up. Hey, you know, like you if you don't make it clear, there's no confusion.
Speaker 2: Because how often does it happen in relationships and relationships, dating relationships and work like oh well, I didn't know you were interested, I didn't know you wanted many times?
Speaker 1: How many times because you're failing to make it clear.
Speaker 3: How many times has a husband or wife said like a phrase like, oh my god, I didn't know you were unhappy?
Speaker 1: Exactly right.
Speaker 2: So I'm assuming that Jim Schwartz made this known for that type of reaction.
Speaker 1: If not, then that's on him.
Speaker 4: Maybe that was part of the frustration because it says there a little research. It says Schwartz did not interview officially for the Browns head coaching position.
Speaker 2: He didn't get the opportunity. Yeah, I'm sure he made it clear, like, hey, guys, I want this gig. So when they gave it to someone else, that's just again our speculation based on that. So unfortunately, in life sometimes not all is fair. He may have thought he earned it, and we've all been there. Everybody gets to that point and sometimes you just gotta move on to get that respect. And that's the update. But congrats to Todd Munkin. He's like, hey, what did I do?
Speaker 1: Congrats to him.
Speaker 5: What's up, dB, Yeah, just a little bit. Schwartz did interview. In fact, he interviewed twice, and I'm sorry he interviewed twice. And in fact, when I left work yesterday, there was a lot of momentum going towards this is going to be Jim Schwartz's job.
Speaker 1: Now. I don't know if his people.
Speaker 5: We're telling the insiders that he thought that he was going to get the job, and so that's why they reported it. But there's also some talk that are unsubstantiated that maybe ownership went over the heads of front office and their search committee in choosing top Monkin over Jim Schwartz and uh Neil uh shield House from the from the Rams. So there's a little bit of conflicting stories on on how things transpired. But twenty four hours ago it seemed like Schwartz was in line to be the next head coach and more embarrassing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's why I think that's why he friends.
Speaker 2: And that's another like a whole other lesson here again, thank you tv F Yeah, thank you, screw you bing?
Speaker 1: Yeah? What is bing?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: But it's a matter of like, don't count you spot thank you fine. I was like, you're the guy that uses bad That's what is loaded on this computer right here.
Speaker 2: I know, don't count your chicken Chandler. It's not official until it is.
Speaker 1: It's like watching album on Apple Music. It was just already there. It's so funny.
Speaker 3: Damn Bayer, don't pardon Danny g He was asking Jeeves.
Speaker 1: Next game navigating over here. Yeah, didn't have the up to date info.
Speaker 3: Cleveland Brown's hiring, like you said, Monkin, offensive coordinator for the Ravens, offensive coordinator for the Bucks, the Browns. Like he's made his rounds offensively does it make Schwartz feel any better that they just went with an offensive leaning minded guy. Is at like the rationale, like if you get dumped for a guy and the guy so different than you, then you might be like, well, yeah, you.
Speaker 5: Know, this is where sometimes I'm not a big thinker in group think. But so Nathan Schielhouse, the Rams offensive or passing game coordinator's going to go back to the Rams. He interviewed for the Browns job, he interviewed for the Bills job, interviewed for some other coaching jobs. I don't know how much. Monkin interviewed elsewhere for other gigs. He interviewed to be their offensive coordinator, but not a head coaching gig. So they went with an older offensive coordinator as opposed to turning younger when neither have head coaching experience in the NFL. They went with an older voice on the offensive of the ball instead of going with defense and Schwartz or the younger candidate and Shieldhouse with By the way, again, Grant Edinski and Mike McDaniel would throw their names from consideration for the job. Jesse Minner was up for it, but he ended up getting the Ravens job, so there's a lot there, but they went with the older offensive guy.
Speaker 2: Hey, well, speaking of dB, he's got your update. But let me pose this question first. Speaking of head coaching gigs, they're few and far between. And speaking of head coaches, Bill Belichick, the other big story that Dan Byer broke on this show yesterday is sort of caught us by surprise, like, wow, really think about this.
Speaker 1: The voters cowards or integrity.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of speculation, man, these cowards, these cowards, cowards or valid right, plus some other nuggets of thought when it comes to Bill Belichick. We'll get to that and your feedback and Midwick major, But first dB with the update.
Speaker 1: What's up buddy?
Speaker 5: So yeah, just on the heels of that Belichick story, Tom Brady came to his head coach's defense and speaking with Seattle Sports seven to ten am earlier today.
Speaker 1: There's no coach I'd ever rather play for.
Speaker 2: If I'm taking one coach to go out there to win a Super Bowl, give me one season, I'm taking Bill Belichick.
Speaker 1: So that's enough.
Speaker 5: Set even the President his way in. President Trump took to social media, calling the decision quote ridiculous end quote. In that social media post, says that the vote should be overturned.
Speaker 1: Isn't listen, let me tell you overturned.
Speaker 3: It's absurd to think that it's so bizarre that Tom Brady the president mahomes like, I saw all the tweets, like, there's not one person I've seen with that has credibility.
Speaker 1: That's like, yeah, I agree, No, that's not true.
Speaker 2: It's it took us my surprise. I'll say that I didn't hear a lot of exactly. Rob Parker is like cheet. I heard him, and it made me think. Props to the odd couple and other people that have stated this hall cheating is cheating, cheating, that is cheating.
Speaker 1: Although I was very surprised as well. Yeah, Parker says Tom Brady shouldn't be elected into those Well hold that, well, yeah, what what else is going on? dB?
Speaker 5: Patriots quarterback Drake May limited in practice today with a shoulder injury. Of course, they've got the Seahawks coming up in Super Bowl sixty. The NBA trade deadline is a week from tomorrow, and ESPN reported earlier today multiple teams have made aggressive offers four Bucks forward Giannis and Teta Kumpo. The report said that Giannis has let it be known for months with a team that he wants out of Milwaukee. Team is now listening to those offers, with the trade deadline again coming up next Thursday. That's not tomorrow, that's a week from Thursday. Anthony Edwards expected to play for the Timberwolves to night against the Mavericks. Rocket Center Steven Adams going to miss the rest of the year following surgery on his ankle. Janick Center will face Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open Semis. On the men's side, Patrick Reid announced he's leaving liv Golf and seeking reinstatement to the PGA Tour, where you can start playing in PGA Tour events as a non member in August, which is one year removed from when he last teed it up in a Lift Golf event. Guys, back to you, Wow.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Dan Bayer, Thanks Dan.
Speaker 3: Some more thoughts on Belichick and of course next Hour will give away some prizes with some.
Speaker 1: Words of wisdom.
Speaker 3: We got Midweek Major and Cavino there's there's something I want to throw at you. We live in a world now where social media has been around long enough where there's people that can look like they're predicting the future. And there's a there's a wild tweet that resurfaced that we got to get to. So we'll talk about all that and more next right here. Covino Rich on Fox Sports.
Speaker 2: Radio, Hey, Rich, Danny Sam Bayer, did you hear the biggest surprise in sports Tyson Fury's out of retirement today? Maybe Spot, I'll talk about it in Midweek Major. Maybe not, but Fury when h is on Netflix April eleventh. So Fury fighting that big giant Russian. That's the weakest part about fighters retiring. You know, they're just doing it.
Speaker 1: So please at least come back. I pay you to come back.
Speaker 3: I know we're talking about boxing versus sports entertainment, but I find the boxing retirement has the same credibility as like an old school like WWE retirement.
Speaker 2: It really has about the same Lacho Man versus Rick Flair retirement match.
Speaker 1: You like, you really have really really retirement match.
Speaker 2: Well, I wanted to bring that up in case Spot didn't have it in the biggest headlines in sports and pop culture. We do that check with it first, US Midweek Major and Mike's Wednesday Words of Wisdom. Okay, So we got your chance to win some prizes. But we're live from the Fox Sports Radio Studio and it's time for our ti Iraq Play of the Day.
Speaker 3: It's time to start paying attention to college hoops. Number three Michigan pulled that one over number five Nebraska.
Speaker 2: Coodo no looks feedback to Yax stutter step at a drive, right block, pitches left corner, but Kenny shot fake takes left base life, he floks.
Speaker 3: He died.
Speaker 8: Barreling into Holyburg seventy four seventy two.
Speaker 3: Michigan, Michigan win seventy five to seventy two. That was courtesy of Learfield Sports. And that's our Tiraq Play of the Day. And for over forty years, our good friends at ty Iraq have been helping customers find the right tires for how, what and where they drive. Ship fast and free back by free road hazard protection with convenient installation options like mobile tire installation.
Speaker 2: Ti Iraq dot com Way tire buying should be So, I'm Steve Cavino back in Jersey Union, New Jersey. That's Rich Davis and the crew back in Los Angeles, Fox Sports Radio Studio and Bill Belichick is all the buzz. When Dan Byer made that announcement breaking news on our show yesterday.
Speaker 1: We were all sort of shocked, like how is that possible?
Speaker 2: Then you start doing some sort of deductive reasoning, You're like, well, you rub people the wall. Oh yeah, well he's part of a cheating scandal. That's definitely why. So they're trying to make a point. So because you know, leading up to it, Rich it wasn't there. It like there was a lot of buzz about he might not get in.
Speaker 1: I didn't hear one persons.
Speaker 3: And I think that when you hear Tom Brady or even saw tweets and messages from my homes and you know people that are very involved, it's it's so undeniable that he's arguing Tom Brady's gonna have his back because you know, he was part of a cheating scandal too, arguably if not the best coach of the last fifty years, and he's not a first ballot Hall of Famer.
Speaker 1: That's insane.
Speaker 2: It does seem insane, but it makes more sense when you put the pieces together as to why then is it fair? You know, these are all things we could speculate. So I'm asking because I keep reading like these guys are cowards, and you know what, I would have voted him in too, But as far as conversation, like cowards or maybe they have a crazy level of integrity and they're like, yeah, not this time, buddy, you're probably gonna get in. Just you know when we say it's okay. So is it cowardly or is it integrity? They have a valid point to keep them out. And the Brady thing is also a big question mark. Could I ad a third option?
Speaker 3: And by the way, the Braidy thing is interesting because by that reason and that logic you would say, what is Brady not a first ballot guy? I mean, if you imagine not voting Tom Brady into the Hall of Fame first ballot, that's that's even more preposterous.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of ways to look at here. Here's my third option.
Speaker 3: What about the thought of hey, you know what, maybe it's a power trip. Hey, I you know, like when you give One of my favorite things is you never give someone power that doesn't deserve it. And you've given, like some of these sports art is a power that maybe they haven't earned in your mind, Like you know, I always say, tell someone what you want don't ask them like if there's you know, if you're in a young kid at the club or something, don't be like, hey, is it okay? No, say I need to get there. Like I just feel like when you ask people instead of tell them like you.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I think you gave these writers too much of a too much of a voice.
Speaker 2: Your thoughts, and I'm going to give you another little nugget of thought to make you think about it some more.
Speaker 1: But Belichick's not in. I'm sure he'll eventually get in. Is it valid? Is it bunk? Is it cowardly? Let us know? Eight seven seven ninety nine on Fox will give you our thoughts. Is it some reporters power tripping trying to get a little a little love. I don't know. We'll get to your feedback next right here on FSR