Speaker 1: I packed my car. I packed my car it'sad to God and grabbed.
Speaker 2: My dunks coffee. Able to get this, I packed my CA. I apologize to everyone.
Speaker 1: Welcome to good game with Sarah Spain, where a bunch of massholes have already claimed the Connecticut's son as their team.
Speaker 2: I can hear them now.
Speaker 1: I packed my CA outside the garden, grabbed my Dunk's coffee to watch the squad wicked time. Okay, that was deeply embarrassing and I'm sorry to understand why I never made it to SNL.
Speaker 2: I promise I have better accents than that.
Speaker 1: One helped me Affles and others either way, bad accent or not very cool scene to see that sold out game at TEDD Garden. On today's show, we're going to talk with Athletic staff writer Steph Young about whether the NWSL is doing too much and what she's learning about the San Diego Wave hiring Landon Donovan, Plus a roller coaster of a ride for a US Women's national team legend, and a blockbuster nw USL trade.
Speaker 2: But first, here's what you need to know.
Speaker 1: Today in NWSL soccer, some big player moves. The Seattle Rain have acquired midfielder Jalen Howell and fifty thousand dollars in allocation money from Racing Louisville in exchange for Ford Bethany Balser. Howell was the number two overall pick in the twenty twenty two draft, and she's served as Louisville's captain since last year.
Speaker 2: Bethany Bosser's trajectory a little different.
Speaker 1: After going undrafted in twenty nineteen, she signed with the Rain and went on to win Rookie of the Year in her debut season. She went to Spring Arbor University and is the first ever Naia player to compete in the NWSL, and she's developed into a good one, one of the Rain's most consistent contributors. Her thirty three goals are third most in club history. She's also known for calling out the bs that she sees. Back in twenty twenty one, back before the NWSL had a CBA, she wrote on Twitter quote, why is equal pay important? I got a fifty dollars gift card to Chipotle for winning Rookie of the Year in twenty nineteen. Thankfully, these days they do have a CBA and the NWSL's Rookie of the Year is guaranteed at least five thousand dollars in bonus money, which is certainly better than three burritos and Asida guac. This is good news for Racing in that they need scoring help and Bethany Baltzer can give it to them, but it's tough to tell how the players are feeling about it. After the trade was announced, both players posted on social media. Howell said she's quote shocked to say the least, but added she's quote so incredibly excited to join the Rain.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, Bolster was a little more cryptic.
Speaker 1: She wrote quote people will write the narrative they want to write, but the truth will always come to light end quote. In a separate post, she shouted out Louisville, saying, quote, I will do everything in my power to help push this team forward. Some other Racing Louisville news as Jack Harlowe joins the club's ownership group. In case you don't know who he is, looking at you, producer Alex. He's a rapper, singer and Louisville native. I really can't believe you don't know who that is. Alex Catchy Catchy songs. Also in the NWSL, GOTHAMAFC fans were dealt a rollercoaster of emotions after the club announced it did sign US women's national team led Heather O'Reilly to a one day contract as an injury replacement player to play in the club's Monday night friendly match against women's Super League side Chelsea. If you remember, O'Reilly spent a year playing for Arsenal, the Cross London rival of Chelsea, which made this an extra fun signing. Actually, just in case you didn't already know that, let's do a quick refresher on the legendary career of the woman known as Hao. All you young is out there, start googling, because she's one of our faves. During her fourteen year tenure with the national team, she won three gold medals, competed at three World Cups, took home trophy in twenty fifteen, retired from professional soccer in twenty nineteen, but in twenty twenty two, the first year she was eligible to be inducted into the National Soccer Hall of Fame, she was on the player ballot for voting, and that same day she unretired in order to join Irish club Shelbourne FC, and only retired players are eligible for the Hall. Of fame, so the organization had to retract her name for the ballot, at least for now. All that to say, we were really excited to see O'Reilly back out on the field, and Gotham fans and players were super psyched to see her play. Chelsea players maybe less psyched. Less than an hour before kickoff, Gotham announced that she was no longer available for selection, and a few minutes later Hather O'Reilly posted that she didn't pass her physical. She wrote, quote, my heart is too big. The machine couldn't handle it. End quote, ultimate bummer. Chelsea went on to win the friendly three to one. Finally, before we leave the pitch, an update on Angel City defender and New Zealand national Ali Riley. Earlier this summer, Riley was ruled out of the Paris Olympics due to an ongoing nerve injury, and during a Q and A with a local girls' sports organization, the thirty six year old said she's not sure if she'll ever be able to play again. She later took to social media to clarify she's not saying goodbye to soccer without a fight, writing quote, I'm not giving up and I'm not going anywhere. My goal is to play for my club and country again, and I will think about that as I do my rehab every day for as long as it takes. In basketball news, yesterday, the WNBA Seattle Storm announced that free agent forward Gabby Williams signed a rest of season contract. Williams was the one who gave USA Basketball fits in the gold medal game at the Olympics, en route to a metal for herself and team France. She was also named Best Defensive Player of the tournament and selected to the All Star Five. She'll join the team back in Seattle next week. With France hosting this year's Olympics, she opted to set out the first portion of the WNBA schedule to prepare with her national team, and she'll now rejoin the Storm after playing for Seattle in twenty twenty two and a portion of twenty twenty three. Seattle's currently in the WNBA playoff picture, teetering on the edge of the top four in the standings. Williams will be a welcome addition to the veteran corps that includes Jewel Lloyd, Skyler, nigg And Smith and neck Ogo McKay. All Right, So I mentioned at the top when I was doing that terrible accent that the Connecticut Sun Los Angeles Sparks game a sellout at TD Garden and producer Alex was actually at the game.
Speaker 2: Alex, what do we miss?
Speaker 3: All right, y'all? So I am recording this from my car after the game, and Wow, that was just such an electric environment. As a kid that grew up in New Hampshire watching sports at the Garden, it was wild to realize that this was the first time in my life that I was able to travel to that venue and watch women's sports, and more than nineteen thousand people were there with me too. One of the first things I noticed was that the Connecticut Sun traveled with their own floor, like literal home court advantage. Pretty cool to see that they were in a different state, in a different venue and still playing on their own court. I actually asked head coach Stephanie White about that after the game, and she shouted out the team staff for pulling off such a logistically challenging event. As for the game itself, listen seeing Dowana Bonner deny someone in person, it's different. Shout out to Emily Adams at the Hartford Current who did the math on this. But this was actually the first game in her five years with the Sun that Dowanna came off the bench. Emily asked White about that after the game, and I'm gonna roll that clip because it's a good one.
Speaker 2: Deb volunteered on how to come off the bench.
Speaker 4: No, she understands that it's about winning, and she also understands that there's a motion involved when it.
Speaker 2: Comes to starting or not star.
Speaker 4: And so she came to us and talked to us and she's like, look, I don't mind coming off the bench. I just want to win. I want to figure out what our best lineup is, our best rotation is, and I'll be ready to go no matter what. And so that's leadership, right, that's sacrifice, that's putting the team above everything else. And so I'm thankful to her for that moment. I don't know if I still like it right, you know, I think we're still trying to find out, like what is the right combination.
Speaker 3: Also, this quote from Djna Carrington, who led the Sun with nineteen points, is going to stick with me for a long time. Asked after the game about the environment, she said, quote, it felt great. It felt like what every night should feel like and so wal Tonight was the Garden's first WWNBA game. It's pretty obvious it is most certainly not going to be the.
Speaker 2: Last awesome stuff. Alex. I'm glad you made it. There are two w NBA games today.
Speaker 1: The Phoenix Mercury are traveling to Atlanta, while Las Vegas is hosting the Minnesota Links.
Speaker 2: That should be a good one.
Speaker 1: Minnesota and Vegas are currently battling to secure home court advantage in the playoffs, two of the best teams in the league.
Speaker 2: Check that one out.
Speaker 1: Besides the Storm signing Gabby Williams yesterday, it was relatively quiet day in WNBA trade news, while we told you about a blockbuster trade in the NWSL, which might have you wondering which league's trade deadline came and went. So it's time for another installment of no Dumb Question.
Speaker 5: Was yesterday the NWSL trade deadline?
Speaker 2: No, it was actually the WNBA trade deadline. Weird.
Speaker 5: I haven't seen any WNBA superstars on the move, but there were a couple NWSL trades this past.
Speaker 2: Week, right, I get your confusion. Now.
Speaker 1: There was indeed a lot more NWSL trade action this week than in the WNBA, and not just Balter and Howell. We also saw Carson Pika traded to Orlando from Racing Louisville and Alexa Spanstra sent to Portland from Kansas City.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, pretty quiet on the hoops front.
Speaker 1: That's not all that surprising, though, because big WNBA in season trades are pretty rare to pull off.
Speaker 2: Why because it's something.
Speaker 1: Called a salary cap that's the max total salary of all players that a team has on the books. For example, let's say you've got five players and one hundred dollars salary cap. Each player can only get an average of twenty dollars. Of course, you pay some players more than others, but it all has to end up at one hundred dollars. Lots of other professional sports leagues have what are called soft caps that allows teams to exceed the allotted amount for a bunch of different reasons, and if they exceed a certain amount, they could pay what's called a luxury tax, basically a penalty for each dollar that they're over the softcap. Meanwhile, the WNBA has a hard cap. It's one million, four hundred and sixty three, two hundred dollars. The only reason w teams can exceed that cap is if the league grants them hardship or emergency hardship exceptions. Other than those allowances, they can't go over for any reason, even a dollar over. That makes it pretty tough to find complimentary salaries for a swap. So if you remember before the All Star Game, we had the Sky sending Marina Maybrey to the Sun for Rachel bannonm and Mariah Jefferson. That was a pretty rare trade for a player with a bigger contract remakes over two hundred k. That trade resulted both from Maybury asking out and also the Sun being able to send over two players in return.
Speaker 5: So why do NWSL teams have more freedom to spend?
Speaker 2: Well, the NWSL has this thing called allocation money. Well what is allocation money?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a great question, And like I said, there are no dumb questions, But there are especially no dumb questions about the NWSL's allocation money because even the smartest people.
Speaker 2: In the room still struggle with that one.
Speaker 1: It's pretty tricky, but basically, it's an extra sum of cash that doesn't count towards the salary cap, and it can go towards paying high level players that meet certain criteria. This includes players that have had say, more than three appearances for their national team in the previous two years, or domestic players who have completed at least five seasons in the NWSL. The league's actually in the process of phasing allocation money out, but teams still have the option to use what they have left until December of twenty twenty six. Allocation money's also historically been in the way NWSL teams have paid international transfer fees. That's when they pay money to an international club to bring their top talent to the States to play for their team, and teams can simply trade allocation money to other teams instead of players to sweeten or even out deals.
Speaker 5: That makes sense, But wait, I'm still a little confused about why the WNBA doesn't have a lot of trades at the deadline.
Speaker 2: Can you explain it to me? Like I'm five?
Speaker 1: Yeah, long story short, it's hard to trade big name, highly paid players in the WNBA and have the salary numbers match up to avoid one of the teams in the trade exceeding that hard cap. That's why most trades involve bench players with similar lower salaries, and that's why we just don't see that much movement in the WNBA during the season.
Speaker 2: At all, with trades and especially at the trade deadline. Got it good. We're gonna take a quick break.
Speaker 1: When we come back, We're gonna talk soccer and a side of Battlestar Galactica with The Athletic.
Speaker 2: Step Young joining us now.
Speaker 1: She's a staff writer for The Athletic covering professional women's soccer and the US women's national team, and a regular contributor to the Full Time with Meg Lenihan podcast. She played soccer at MIT. She's a fan of Fried Okra, and last week she narrowly avoided death when she almost washed down her meal with a giant's wig from a bottle of hot sauce. Fun fact, She's got her law degree from Boston College, which makes her Steph Young esquire.
Speaker 2: Steph, thanks for coming on, Thank you.
Speaker 6: I need to make a point. I have not passed the bar in Massachusetts. I cannot represent you. Don't ask me for legal opinions.
Speaker 1: I had no idea that that was your background. First of all MIT, and then like super impressive, I mean, and then here you are covering soccer, which a lot of recovering lawyers actually go into sports.
Speaker 2: So I guess that checks out.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's a lot of disgruntled ex lawyers in sports writing, like you'd be shocked by. It's very disproportionate compared to like the population. So something's happening there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good readers, good writers, and get sick of going to court and or arguing things and decide to argue sports instead.
Speaker 2: Okay, important questions.
Speaker 1: First, your name on social has always confused all of us.
Speaker 2: What is thrace? Is it a brace?
Speaker 6: But fore no, it's embarrassing. It's a reference to a Battlestar Galactica character, but it's also a name of historical region in ancient Greece, So take your pick.
Speaker 2: Okay, but the Battlestar Galactica one is what you were going for. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And then I started writing under the name Freelance, and then it's such a hassle to kind of change all the associations with the name when you built some steam and you know, it was the same reason why I didn't change my name when I got married. It's like, also it would be a little weird because my wife is Waldeman Freed, and I don't think Steph Waldman Freed really suits me.
Speaker 1: But it sounds like a professor. Okay, so it's just it's you and Dwight Schrute. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Speaker 6: Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's how we'll remember it. And then also, why exactly are you a horrible soccer goose?
Speaker 6: Oh that's just a reference to geese kind of being anarchists in general. And the header of my Twitter it's from a It's a game called untitled Goose game, where you are a goose who goes around annoying people. This goose is holding glasses hostage. And it's usually a reference to my partner in crime at the Athletic Midlin, a hand who I annoy and delight in equal measure.
Speaker 2: I'm sure, perfect, perfect.
Speaker 1: So many of our long standing questions have been answered already, let's get to some new questions. We are very much still riding an Olympic high. US women's national team went from their lowest ever fee for ranking pregames to right back up where they feel most comfortable, number one in the world. Should the team actually be the favorite for every international tournament going forward until something changes?
Speaker 6: No, absolutely not anything can change between any tournament. I mean for any team you go from the World Cup to now huge swing. I look at stuff like Mexico not qualifying during the last CONCA CAFF qualifiers and then having a friendly and beating the United States. It's not quite the same, but you know what I'm talking about. Anything can happen the investment. The margins are so small now. Hate the term like the world has caught up. The world's been caught up for a while, like you need to catch up to where we are already are in the narrative, So like it really is going to come down to like much finer margins than at least amongst probably the top ten fifteen twenty teams, rather than like who can invest the most. Now it's a lot more complicated than that.
Speaker 1: In Spain is still a very good side that we thought in advance of the Olympics.
Speaker 2: It's very difficult for teams.
Speaker 1: Teams have never won both a World Cup at an Olympic in the same back to back years, so I think there are some people who still might see them as a better team if they were to go head to head, although like you said, it really is dependent on every single tournament who's available for each team who's healthy and all of that. Obviously, the Triple Espresso front three of Trinity, Rodman, Mouse, Swanson and so Smith are major faces of this team, alongside another youngster in Naomi Germa. Those feel like the leaders going forward. I was listening to an episode of Full Time with Meglenahan and almost cried when you admitted that we might not be seeing Alyssa they or the next time we come around to a major international tournament, because even though she's incredible, she would be thirty nine for the next World Cup, which is a lot of pressure to put on a body at that age to be your main keeper. But who are then the true leaders of this team, not just in play, but in voice and everything else going forward?
Speaker 2: If we start to lose some of those standbys.
Speaker 6: I actually don't feel pretty, you know, any trepidation from a leadership standpoint. It's pretty clear by now that there's the next generation of leadership, not just on the way but kind of in place. We see it with Naomi Gherma, who's like the obvious number one, like armband candidate, she's worn it before. I think Tiana Davidson quiet leader. I think we might still have roosevel in there. She is twenty nine and she does tend to get beat up in that midfield, but she still be here. You know, I think Trini Rodman kind of underrated.
Speaker 2: Leader up there.
Speaker 6: You need to have that balance between someone who's maybe in the more quiet HEADSPACEAOMI or a Tyrna, and the someone who's there to just be like take the energy to one hundred and ten percent, And that feels like a Trinity Rodman.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think there's leadership all over the field, So in that aspect, I'm actually not worried at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you expect this iteration of the team in the next couple of years to be as involved in social and political stances. We have an election coming up, We will have all those conversations around Corbin Albert or other intersections with this team, And it feels like in the past it was very clear that they were going to lead not just their own team, but the world sort of in making sure there was equal pay and all sorts of other major issues that intersect with women's sports.
Speaker 2: Do you see those representatives on this squad?
Speaker 6: Maybe maybe not as much. I spoke to Tuna Davidson about this before the Olympics, where you know, she didn't say this, but it was implied. The personal is political, right, That's kind of the base adage that you learn in like poly PSI. And she was talking about how there's not as many out queer athletes on the team at the moment and how that could kind of affect the calculus of who's going to speak out on what, and it could be the same for any other issue. And I do think that this team will always have some politicization around it, just because the nature of how we treat women women in athletics, roles sports, the role of women's sports in our world. They're going to make it a political topic whether we like.
Speaker 1: It or not.
Speaker 6: In terms of the team taking the lead and speaking out on those political issues. Yeah, I do think we are, like, let's see what happens over the next two or three years, and then in the next big news cycle around the World Cup, who knows who's got what to say?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there's always the awful possibility of a man being at the top of US soccer again and then having to start fighting for things all over again. It is notable that the biggest changes in how this women's team were treated were in part due to finally having a woman on top.
Speaker 2: So fingers crossed that.
Speaker 1: We will continue to see positive leadership over there.
Speaker 2: That's helping even things out a little bit more.
Speaker 1: Speaking of leadership, let's switch to some NWSL topics. San Diego Wave assigning Landon Donovan their interim head coach. This is their second interim head coach after firing Casey Stony.
Speaker 2: Not a lot of coaching experience and no coaching experience with women.
Speaker 1: You actually went to the presser, What did you learn, what did you hear?
Speaker 2: What do you think about the move?
Speaker 6: Well, we are talking on a Monday, and that was when the San Diego Wave had their first open media availability with Landon Donovan and he basically confirmed that this is an interim position, although he said that the door could be open for more, but that's in the future. Let's see how it goes and at the end they'll talk if one side is like, wouldn't want to go forward, no hard feelings. He talked a lot about wanting to come in and stabilize the team, which a little bit is like, well why is the team destabilized? And it's like, okay, why did they fire Casey Stony at that point, and why did they have, you know, an interim set up through Paul Buckle, who was only committed through this time window, and why is now the team on another Those are all much bigger questions, but personal to Donovan, he talked about wanting to form personal connections, get up to speed. He did admit it was a steep learning curve. There's pros and cons to that kind of admission, right, It's like, well, if you know it's steep, then why did the team not hire someone more knowledgeable at the same time for an interim position? Who can you get who wants to come to San Diego for three months for a tempt job? You know? So a lot going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Are there any updates on the Jill Ellis accusations and whether the league plans on any further investigation, because obviously she was involved in a part of the larger investigation into all of the league in the last couple of years, But then when those former employees went public with it, it sort of felt like there was a quick refusal from the team and from Elis herself. And now it's sort of died down a little in terms of whether there will be any falloup from that.
Speaker 6: Last I heard, we were waiting on any reply from the San Diego WYE former employee Britnell Elorado, her legal team filing a response in court responding to Jill Ellis's filing alleging defamation, and I think that's where we are. We'll just have to see how they respond.
Speaker 1: Yeah, NWSL and the Players Association of agreed to terms on a new CBA that will reportedly run through twenty thirty.
Speaker 2: It's just been reported.
Speaker 1: In fact, the players union posted a cryptic message on social media saying, you know, any news concerning the players' lives will be shared by.
Speaker 2: Them, And we're all like, what what does that mean?
Speaker 1: And it was like, Oh, they're just talking about the league regarding the CBA.
Speaker 2: What have you heard about the agreement?
Speaker 1: And how important is it that they do have that in place when they renegotiate TV rights again in a few years.
Speaker 6: I think it's going to be pretty important. I think it's a good sign that they renegotiated early. First of all, it's basically a mid season renegotiation, and it seems like both sides were pretty willing to talk about it. The actual negotiation probably was really hard and took a long time, but it's a good sign that both sides were like, yeah, we recognize that a lot of changes happened since twenty twenty two when the last CBA was ratified. Things are very different. There's a two hundred and forty million dollar broadcast deal in place that was not in twenty twenty two, so let's talk about what that means in terms of benefiting the players. I'm sure the PA came to this being like, we helped build this league. You're generating value two hundred and forty million dollars of value off of our work, so we deserve a cut of that rightly. So I think we should probably expect to hear more pretty soon. It seemed like in the PA's announcement they're like, we'll announce that, you know, in a minute, and probably waiting right waiting for like the Olympics to die down, that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it does feel like having them aligned and having them have an agreement in place when they do renegotiate again is just huge because there won't.
Speaker 2: Be any holding out from the players in those agreements.
Speaker 1: Speaking at twenty thirty, do you think Heather O'Reilly will still be available as an entry replacement player that season.
Speaker 6: I think Heather O'Riley will be available from her side, She's probably always going to be available. Athlete Blaine like her. I wonder if she just shoots up in the middle of the night, thinking, like where else can I play? Right? Just furiously practicing wallball at three am?
Speaker 2: Case, just in case. Let's talk at NWSL scheduling. There was a lengthy Olympic break this year.
Speaker 1: They didn't have regular season games during the break, but they still had games. So the NWSL teams played clubs from LEGA, MXLF EMANIL is part of a new Summer Cup. They're also going to have this CONCACAF w champions Cup games between NWSL teams and clubs from North America, Central America and the Caribbean. Is this the NWSL doing too much or do you think it's wise for them to keep players in action during that break.
Speaker 6: Well, there's two parts to that, right. One is, as you mentioned, an action during the break, So that's kind of more of a training question, right, it's a loading question where you actually don't want to have too long of a break. You need some kind of regular like to stay in the flow of thing so that you're not out for two weeks then trying to rev back up. So from that perspective, maybe you know, trying to load these players could be fine. On the other side is you know, it's been a huge topic this year and last year fIF pros brought up a lot about you know, a busy calendar and how the calendars are not built player first and how they should actually be built around you put in brakes for players first, and then you add in fixtures instead of doing fixtures first, and then where can we shoehorn in you know, a week goth for people. Yeah, I think I take it that. I think it was Bethany Baltzer actually who tweeted something about like they're not getting extra compensation.
Speaker 2: They did, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but but it was clearly not enough for her to even know that you were getting, right, extra compensation, And.
Speaker 6: It speaks to like the organization around it, right, that should have been communicated clearly to players about like this is what you're going to get for your labor related to you know, maybe a good thing. They have another CBA coming out soon.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I do think it's interesting in terms of the increasing globalization of women's football because we also had Arsenal and Chelsea here with the Washington Spirit and then this Leiga m AGAs partnership. I think we're going to only see more of that. So it does behoo of the league and the Players Association will certainly be watchdogs on this in terms of balancing out the load brakes benefit the players while also not drastically increasing injury risk.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you look at that Olympic schedule being packed so type, plenty of injuries there, including Grace Chanda, who was supposed to join the Orlando Pride but unfortunate was put on the season ending injury list. What do you make of how that might affect the Pride the second half. I mean, they're already top of the table, best team all season, but that would have been a pretty nice addition for them.
Speaker 6: It would have been a nice addition. But I think something people don't take into account with additions or changes is that sometimes it's fine to just go with the vibe that's been working. We saw this actually in the Olympics where Marta was suspended for two games and then she got to come back for the gold medal match. But she didn't start, and I think part of that was, you look at they got through it without her. They made it that far. You don't want to kind of mess with the equilibrium. Obviously, this is a club and not a tournament, so the calculus is a little bit different. But not having a player available who you didn't already have in the first place, it sucks. You don't want any player to be injured. But at the same time, you, especially with the way the Pride have pinned this season, you're kind of like, I think that'll be fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so right now, top of the table, Pride, current Spirit, Gotham kind of packed up there. Do you expect to shake up or for any of those teams to drop off as we get back into games?
Speaker 6: Ooh boy, what a question, especially in the Anything can Happen League. Uh, yeah, that's a great question. I'm actually really interested in kind of this seven through ten, Like with the way, for example, there's quarterfinals this year for the first time with end of BISEL playoffs, so you just need to be in the top eight if you're racing Louisville, your Bay, you're San Diego way, even Angel City in eleventh. Like I'm kind of always more interested in the bottom of that because the top four, I'm like, you're fine, you're blowing people out of the water.
Speaker 1: You can take care of yourself, so you're not worried about, for instance, like a Gotham having a bunch of players that had played through that very tough Olympic schedule and are now coming back.
Speaker 6: That's always yeah, we're coming back again to like a loading issue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 6: I think the players are having their break now.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 6: I could see that having an impact with them trying to be you know, worked in carefully. You don't want to drop them into ninety minutes right away depending on where they are. But I think one Carlos Samuros is a coach who has been cognizance. You don't hire all these players, sign them for this season not knowing that there's an Olympic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: So let's quickly talk about that final playoff spot. Right now, BAFC are sitting in that eighth spot, but the Red Stars, Wave and Angel City are just a couple points behind but still in reach.
Speaker 2: And you mentioned.
Speaker 1: Racing even so you got to put one prediction out there who ends.
Speaker 2: The season in that eight spot. We you.
Speaker 6: Oh boy, you know what, I will bank on continuity over change, so I might boost angel City up there. There bays at eighteen points, angel City's only at fifteen, so four teams within all within like this three point range. Angel City just got Kristin Press back, and I don't want to bet against that.
Speaker 2: Never bet against press. Predictions are uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: We appreciate you despite that, putting one out there, Steph, Thanks so much for the time.
Speaker 2: Really appreciate talking to you.
Speaker 6: Thanks for having me on and exposing my sordid lawyer past.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much again to Steph for taking the time to chat with us.
Speaker 2: We got to pay the bills.
Speaker 1: See on the flip side, welcome back here we are on the flip side. We love that you're listening, but we want you to get in the game every day too, So here's our good game play of the day. Subscribe to the Full Time with Megalina hand podcast, read all the great women's soccer reporting on the Athletic and follow at Thrace on Twitter, slash x whatever you call it, especially now that you know why that's our Twitter handle.
Speaker 2: We'd love to hear from you, so hit us up on email.
Speaker 1: Good game at wondermedianetwork dot com or leave us a voicemail at eight seven two two four fifty seventy.
Speaker 2: Don't forget to subscribe, rate and review. It's easy, y'all.
Speaker 1: Watch Avocado Mash rating two out of five stars. Review You're not fooling anybody, Avocado Mash. I asked for avocado, delightful, slightly firm slices of joy, not mushy mash. That's part avocado, part whatever else you put in there to take up space.
Speaker 2: Listen. I'll take you. I'll take you over.
Speaker 1: No avocado, but you're no slices mash and everybody knows.
Speaker 2: I love my slices. Now it's your.
Speaker 1: Turn, subscribe, rate and review. Thanks for listening, slices, See you tomorrow. Good game, Steph, Good game, Heather, O'Reilly you that super sad feeling you get when you get your hopes of about something only for it not to happen.
Speaker 2: Stupid physicals.
Speaker 1: Good Game with Sarah Spain is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Production by Wonder Media Network. Our producers are Alex Azzi and Misha Jones. Our executive producers are Christina Everett, Jesse Katz, Jenny Kaplan and Emily Rudder. Our editors are Jenny Kaplan, Emily Rudder, Brittany Martinez and Grace Lynch. Production assistants from Lucy Jones and I'm Your Host Sarah Spain