Speaker 1: Hey, fantos, welcome back to how Rude Tanertos. Today, we are so excited to welcome a guest who we have fangirled over since the nineties. Do you remember the groundbreaking TV series My So Called Life. Like many teens in that era, we were huge fans of the one.
Speaker 2: And only Devin Odessa.
Speaker 1: Not only did Devin star in that iconic TV series, she also guest starred on Full House, Step by Step, The Wonder Years.
Speaker 2: And many more projects you're bound to recognize. So let's give a warm welcome to devn. Yeah, I'm so excited.
Speaker 3: You know what's funny is I actually like people like talk to me about being on Full House still to like this day, I just had that.
Speaker 2: Little tiny part episode. It's great. But your show, I.
Speaker 3: Think is like, you know, it was so popular that so many people have seen it and they still watch it, right like the.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: We started this podcast because we had never watched it.
Speaker 5: Apparently we were the last two or three people on earth that like hadn't watched Full House, so we were like, we should go back and watch it as adults and take a.
Speaker 2: Trip down memory lane.
Speaker 5: But yeah, people, I mean, like they know this show Inside and Out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we did school on a regular basis.
Speaker 1: And I feel like the episode you were on the Pirate Restaurant is sort of an iconic episode because it was just that whole Those scenes were so outlandish.
Speaker 5: They're so outlandish, and my cousins were in that scene.
Speaker 2: Oh they were. My cousin Shane.
Speaker 5: Is the one who sneezed on the spaghetti funny and my cousin Shane just got announced this week he is now taking over as the CEO of the American Cancer Society, So yay Shane Jacobson.
Speaker 2: He was also he just left.
Speaker 5: He was the CEO at the v Foundation, which was working with Dave and Mel and Mel doing some stuff on cancer research, also with the NHL. So anyway, weird random around the way thing. But yes, I remember that Pirate episode well because a family was.
Speaker 2: On it and it was really fun, so great.
Speaker 3: So I that that was the first time I was ever just offered a role.
Speaker 2: And it was.
Speaker 3: So I had just auditioned for Jeff Franklin for a pilot and we tested and you know how like you go back then like the nineties, it was.
Speaker 5: Like audition after Yeah, it was it was like the you know, seven Circles of Hell to get to the Grand Boss that you know, the yeah that you had an audition.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he was actually he was so nice and they were all so nice. And I didn't get the pilot that they were casting. But then like two or three, and I was super bombed because I was like young, and it was on a kid's show that goes a whole bunch of other kids and they mixed and mashes and you know, it's like they had two groups.
Speaker 2: Gonna be great. Yeah, it's gonna be so fun.
Speaker 3: But then they he my agent called and the go but they offered you a guest spot on Full House. And that was the very first time I was ever just like offered something, even though he had just seen me like a bunch of times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course other show. But it was so fun. It was like such a gift. You know. It's a good little more albums, you know Jeff is Yeah.
Speaker 5: And Jeff is really good like that like if he you know, he he's like kind in that way and that it's like, you know what, actually, I want to I liked this first, and I want to give them a chance.
Speaker 2: Like he really he's always been really great with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was super he was super duper nice. And I remember, I remember how funny everybody was on that show. Like we would we waited right outside of the Pirate Center, you know, like we were right.
Speaker 2: On side right then, like we would enter, and then they.
Speaker 3: Were just like everybody was so funny on your show, like all the adult actors, like they would just oh my god, crack so many jokes, and they were it was just like.
Speaker 2: A party the whole time. You know.
Speaker 3: Yep, they just were so funny. But I don't I don't didn't get to talk to you guys how much because you.
Speaker 5: Guys were in school, you know that's true. Yeah, yeah, we didn't. There wasn't much hanging out back then, you know. I mean, when you're a kid actor, you're like, I'm either on set or I'm in school pretty much, that's my two options for sure.
Speaker 3: And I also remember the other thing I remember is with the Olsen Twins, And I'd never experienced this before, where you guys would be filming and then all of a sudden, you would just pause and then somebody would like the I guess, like the you know coach where Adria I would like say the line and then they would just like completely mimic the line whoever, whichever, whichever girl was on or whatever.
Speaker 2: And I thought that was so interesting. I've never seen anything. And then they would like start filming again.
Speaker 3: That was just because I'd never worked with such young kids before, and I thought it was just really it was really interesting to work on your show, like I thought it was.
Speaker 2: It was super fun. But I learned a lot too. Oh yeah, for sure.
Speaker 5: We definitely had quite a few tricks and things going on.
Speaker 2: But you know what I mean that people were like, how did they memorize those lines? You're like it, actually, it was not like that at all. Yeah.
Speaker 5: It took about three times to film everything, three times longer to film everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it was good at mimicking. They were for sure.
Speaker 3: How their coach like when they would give them the line reading, they just did it like it was amazing.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, but they oh yeah, it was very impressive.
Speaker 3: But I remember them telling me, okay, just or they told all of us whoever else. We were like, you just know, talking to them, You're not allowed to talk to them.
Speaker 2: So distracting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, distract Yeah, because they were three or four and they get distracted easily, and yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: And I also think that, you know, probably some people were such fans of the show that they might like.
Speaker 2: You know, try to interact with them. Yeah, maybe or something.
Speaker 3: But I was just like, oh yeah, don't worry, I'm good, I'm just here for the ride. It was like, but it was super fun and just man, they were so funny and I had to like keep a straight face and I was laughing so hard off state because everybody was so so funny.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, it was impossible to get through a scene with if Bob and Dave were there and involved, it was I mean, going off the rails.
Speaker 3: Show was definitely because I think it was mainly just like Bob and I right outside.
Speaker 2: I think he entered first and then I had inner. But I mean I would just.
Speaker 3: Be like trying to get it together before my friends because he was so funny.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, they get they helped out not at all.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: The kids, we were like we had to be more together than the than the adults.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Sure, hard.
Speaker 3: I mean, like, I guess I don't know how many like emotional scenes and stuff, but like to you know, when you're working with people that are so fun and so funny. I always you know, I don't know, it just must have been hard sometimes too, if you did.
Speaker 2: You have to do that many emotional scenes. Yeah, you know, we did.
Speaker 5: But I think because like, like I was also really close with Bob and his family outside of the show and Dave and you know, because we also were kind of a family, I think as much fun as we had together, we could tap into those moments of real like emotion and tenderness and quiet and then like probably crrect jokes about all the time because I probably laughing. Yeah, I mean those also those scenes were probably rare, and usually those scenes involved one adult and a child, and so usually as the kids, we were maintaining the professionalism.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, it was basically Bob and Dave were in the scene together. Forget it, it was done.
Speaker 5: That was it. There was somebody was cracking a joke or doing something.
Speaker 2: Well, they would feed off each other.
Speaker 1: They were trying to out laugh each other or out joke each other, and so oh wow, joke each other.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Dave would start doing something and then Bob was like.
Speaker 2: Wait, wait, wait, wait, look at me, look at it, you know.
Speaker 5: And it was just to escalate from there, but it was, like you said, the best environment to work.
Speaker 2: It was so much, so much fun.
Speaker 1: So this was season five, so full House was pretty big at this point, like we were kind of in our heyday.
Speaker 2: Had you seen the show before? Were you intimidated to come on our set? Was it? Oh? Yeah, no, I definitely seen. You know, it's like back then.
Speaker 3: I think that's like the beautiful thing of youth is like, you're not really I wasn't intimidated because I was just so excited to get to work on it, you know, especially after not getting that one pilot.
Speaker 2: I was like so sad. And then and I and my best friend Stacy Keenan, who also yeah, we've been best friends since I was so she was eleven and I was twelve. Okay, very long time, still best friends.
Speaker 3: She also never watched her show until doing the podcast and then she and Christina or.
Speaker 2: Doing it now too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and and but it, you know, everybody was so nice and so welcoming that I think even if I was at all intimidated, it was like right away gone because everybody was just so nice. It was such a was it seemed like a really wonderful place to work, Like everybody was super kind and really fun and a really happy place. And it's not always like that, you know, sometimes you work on shows where it's a different vibe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've we've realized how rare that is and how lucky we thought that this is how sets are growing up, We had any.
Speaker 5: Different right, and I've had the good fortune to not like just really enjoy most of the people and the crews that I've worked with, never had really anybody problematic, And I'm like, oh, so that's like not everybody, you know.
Speaker 2: We just, like I always say, we're very lucky.
Speaker 5: We grew up in kind of the ideal child star environment because it was work and there was a lot you had to get done, but also it was really fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did it. Really.
Speaker 3: I've worked on a show which were it was a half hour show and I won't mention what the name of the show was, and I just came in forget spots. So it was the same kind of thing, but the lead actors didn't talk to each other, and I was explained. I was like, I don't know. Somewhere between fifteen and seventeen, I was still in high school, and I remember it was really interesting, like there was a couple of younger actors who are on the show who were super nice and we had it was great. But some of the older actors who I just happened to be in the scene with, like the a D. Like they would talk to the a D and then the AD would talk to the other actors. They were like right next to each other because like they didn't talk, Like, yeah, it was weird. So I feel like some I feel like I've been Everybody was nice to me, but I got to kind of see that dynamic and I was like, oh, you know, yeah, and that was Yeah.
Speaker 5: I definitely you see the dynamics sometimes with somebody or in like how.
Speaker 2: Though you know, and you're like, oh, oh boy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've been very very lucky as well, Like I've really only worked on really fun jobs, you know, my career, which is really nice.
Speaker 5: How old were you when you started your career, I mean, were you like like a little or were you more eleven ish?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So I would come visit I'm from West Virginia, so and my mom lived out here first, so I'd come visit my mom and like I would then I got she got me an agent, and I would do like commercials and stuff when I was a little bit like you know, young, like not middle school, like right before middle school, maybe fifth there's some script.
Speaker 2: Book, yeah yeah, yeah. And then and then.
Speaker 3: I started working more in middle school and I actually went to a public high school and they were going to kick me out because I worked too many.
Speaker 2: Days and they were like with lust. They're like, well, you're gonna have to do home school. And I'm always like, oh right, you have to do them, yeah, you know, and that terrified my mom.
Speaker 3: So I ended up then going when I was time for high school because that all kind of happened in like eighth grade.
Speaker 2: And then ninth grade rolled around and I went.
Speaker 3: To a private high school because I needed to work, you know, because it worked too many hours, which is kind of interesting that they.
Speaker 2: Don't let you do that.
Speaker 5: But yeah, now there's a it's a whole like program for yeah, if you're like working kids basically, I mean, it's so prevalent here in LA that.
Speaker 2: There's like a whole thing for it. So yeah, like so like middle.
Speaker 3: School and then and then I would just you know, I did like lots of guest spots, some pilots, stuff like that.
Speaker 2: And then for me really when I got my so called life.
Speaker 3: I deferred from college for a year, and that's when I got my so called life, and that really like changed a lot of stuff because it it it only went one season, but we were put on hold a bunch, and so I did a whole other show in between. Like we did the pilot and we were on hold for a year that we did like six episodes and we were on hold, and then we did.
Speaker 2: Nine more episodes and we were on hold. So it took like years to like just like to do one season, right.
Speaker 3: But but but yeah, so so that's when I i'd like, you know, before I just I work some like guess, but I always worked more in the summertime because there was less stress because I was really academic. So I like, you know, would have to go on auditions. Do you just remember that, like your parents like pick you up from school and you'd have like clothes in the car one audition to the other audition to the other audition.
Speaker 2: I look back, and I'm like, I can't, Like that is crazy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we always joke about, you know, like and we both grew up in Orange County, so we you know, we did the drive like back and forth, although to be fair, like starting at five, I was doing full house, so I had a little bit more of a schedule. But you know, there was definitely a lot of back and forth on freeways and auditioning, uh and reading of Thomas Guides.
Speaker 2: That's our joke always that we could read.
Speaker 5: We we know we'll survive the apocalypse because we can read a map.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: I had the most amazing Thomas Guide. It was like it was covered in this. Each page was covered in this like plastic. Oh yeah yeah, and then like it was. It made it so nice because you really mainly use just certain pages like that's.
Speaker 5: Where right right, basically everything around like Losiena and Olympic Yeah.
Speaker 3: And so so yeah, I mean I loved my Thomas Guide.
Speaker 2: Man, I know my kids were so old.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but that was I mean that that was sort of the the up and down, you know, the freeways of it all.
Speaker 2: What was your what was your first job? So my very first job was Punky Bruce.
Speaker 3: Yes, we love it so and it was just I auditioned for like Punky and then I did not get Punky obviously.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 5: Shocking and in some timeline in the university.
Speaker 3: Somewhere else, No, and then I got a like a little tiny, itty bitty little part they gave me and said, which was like really sweet, like I auditioned for it whatever. And then and then my my most like my first like kind of bigger role was a movie called Pumpkin Hill. Yes, and it was like a scary movie and that was with mine and be All, like we played sisters and a couple.
Speaker 2: It was like it was very fun. So that was really fun. Yeah, it was. We had a good time on that.
Speaker 3: So it was when my first and then some commercials I had some I did commercials, a lot of commercials.
Speaker 2: Comemercials were important back then. They were very important. Commercials were commercials were you're red butter that everybody loved getting a commercial. They really were.
Speaker 3: And on my very first commercial that I got, it was a it was for Frigidaire and so it was and I'm from West Virginia on a farm.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: So in the commercial they're like, okay, so we're gonna you're you're you're in the house and your dad's in the barn. So I need you to just yell dad, we need more eggs. This was like the callback for the commercial, and I was like, okay, so in my head where our houses and.
Speaker 2: Where the barn is? It's yell, real loud.
Speaker 5: I well, yeah, so a barn is a distance from a house usually, right.
Speaker 3: So and he said yell, so you know, all these other people have been auditioning whatever.
Speaker 2: And then like I go in and then my mom is out there hearing me yella, I mean at the top of my lungs. Okay, and then I and then my Mom's like what nobody else was yelling and I was like I'm oh no. And they didn't redirect me. They were just like right right, thank you, you know. I was like okay. And then and then when I went in for the wartere fitting, they were like, oh, you're the one. You're the one with the lungs. You're the ones that yelled. Because it was like a little family and it was right right right, said call to the barn. The barn is not right, but it's not an attached barn, you know. It's like, yeah, it was pretty funny. So now it's like my first commercial, noble commercial. Really, I mean, man, I paid many many bills with commercials.
Speaker 4: I was going to say, yeah, the days of a nice you know, national yea, and think.
Speaker 2: It was funny.
Speaker 3: A lot of times people would think, oh, I remember I did a Disneyland commercial and they're like, oh, you must need so much money on that commercial. But because it played a ton, but it only played for a short amount of time.
Speaker 2: So commercials that.
Speaker 3: Like play for a short amount of time, even if they play so much like probably you know, like those super Bowl commercials or whatever, it's like unless you're a big star, but if you're just like one of the people doing the commercial, that's it only plays for a little bit of time, so you.
Speaker 2: Really for a little bit. Yeah, exactly, true, very limit that much money.
Speaker 3: But I had a friend who was in that milk does commercial. Do you remember that milk it does?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it does a body? Milk it does a body.
Speaker 3: She made so much money because they kept holding it and it was like they would play it and then holding feet, then play it then holding feet and don't mean.
Speaker 2: We're the days of holding fees. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't even know if like what commercials, like, how do they even do that now? I mean like there must be I don't know, right, like there's still commercials out there.
Speaker 5: But one of my best friends is a script supervisor and works on commercials all the time.
Speaker 2: But now they go to streamers a lot of them. I mean they still go to networks and stuff.
Speaker 5: But yeah, but it is we Yeah, we're we're the the old guard at this point of a yeah, of a business and how it used to be.
Speaker 2: Uh, now did you do you did Small Wonder? Right? So, oh my god, yeah, Small Wonder.
Speaker 5: I'm I'm weirdly obsessed with Small Wonder.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 5: As a kid, even then I was like, I don't this is so weird, but I'm going with it, and now I appreciate it in an even more of a weird way. But Candace actually auditioned to be Robot Girl Robot Girl Small Wonder.
Speaker 3: So that show I had what talk about, you know, like the universe something really. I was young and I auditioned for a show called Valerie's House.
Speaker 2: The show that's Valerie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, A Small Wonder and Highway to Heaven and I auditioned for all three.
Speaker 2: I callbacks for all three.
Speaker 3: Of them the same day, and I got all three that day, and the only ones that I did because well except that I couldn't do I only got to do one.
Speaker 2: But well, right, yeah, you're like, I can't unfortunate.
Speaker 3: They told me a Highway to Heaven that I got the part, so I was so happy.
Speaker 2: And I just had this like I just said. It was like I was just like, you know, I didn't even know. I remember my mom called my agent saying should she even go on these others? Like, oh, just go, you never know, And so we went. But I was in such like a great mood. You know, I didn't care.
Speaker 5: I was like that's always right, You're like, I don't care about this one.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna that's the one I'm gonna. I was so excited. So so anyway, so that so what happened with that show with Small Wonder is I ended up not doing that particular part, but then they brought me back and made me like a recurring role for a little while.
Speaker 3: But it was so funny because you know, you you audition. These auditions are like so when you're young, they're like so important. I remember like not listening to music or on my way to you like I got to focus, yeah, be in you know, a character or whatever, and then like you know, a day you like just don't even care, like boom boom boom, Bom boom. It was just really interesting, you know, especially for kids. It's it's such a you know, I look at my kids and I don't know it is it was a trip, like looking back being a child actor like then, I can't imagine for you guys, because I mean I was like in school and what audition whatever, but like you were actively on a show, you which is like just like.
Speaker 2: A whole different Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, although I never you know, I started school at the same time I started the show, so I never had a school experience.
Speaker 2: Outside of that to speak of.
Speaker 5: I didn't, but I they let us go to regular school in the mornings and then come to work in the afternoon, so we did get to have I went to a public school in Orange County and yeah, so I did get to have like normal life outside of the craziness of all of it, which was really helpful.
Speaker 2: That is wonderful.
Speaker 3: And that's really not sitting in county because LAUSD they didn't let you do that. They were like, no, you can, it doesn't matter if there's a set coach like you needed.
Speaker 2: To sitting in your seat, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, there was a I did to get work permit. It was a whole thing.
Speaker 5: Your grades had to be a certain thing and you could be Yeah, and it was I think probably also somehow because I was already working, you know, by the time I was doing first grade, I just started there and I was working on a show, So I think, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, somehow we just figured out how to do it.
Speaker 5: But but yeah, it was the days of auditioning and trapesing and all of that.
Speaker 2: Back and mind were a lot the grind.
Speaker 5: But yeah, Canvas was almost Vicky on Small Wonder and the things that could have been you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so funny. Yeah, that was.
Speaker 3: They were really nice on that show too. They were really sweet. And the executive producer of that show and stuff was really nice. And I auditioned for him for a pilot later on in my career and it was a producer session and I when and I go to shake his hand and there was a water, an ice water, big ice water, pitcher water all over the pfore.
Speaker 2: And you were like, Hey, I'm just gonna leave now. Thanks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so sorry, Yeah, but it ended up I still got that part nice.
Speaker 5: How random is that you walk into a room, you know, I mean, that was we found it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, thinking outside the box I love it. But it was really nice of them because I was I was so oh god, I was so mortified, but that they were really nice on that show.
Speaker 2: Uh. Yeah, I mean it's really fun.
Speaker 3: I mean these experiences, you know, that you get to have and these opportunities are are pretty neat. And the stuff you learn when you're an actor as a kid you use in everything all the time.
Speaker 2: You know, in life.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and I feel like a lot of actors turn out to be lawyers, and I like, wonder. I just have a couple of friends who were child actors who became lawyers, and it's like, you know, it's just interesting.
Speaker 2: You know, it's like that parallel a little bit to like performing, Like you.
Speaker 3: Know, when you're working as an actor and then when you know, you're doing it in the.
Speaker 1: Courtroom, it's a performance, right, right, a performance for the jury.
Speaker 2: So that's absolutely transferable skill. Yeah, yeah, it's kind of interesting.
Speaker 1: So when you did a guest spot on Step by Step, is that when you met Stacy Keenan.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, we we we were already good friends. Yeah, So we were already really good friends and and that was really fun. We did.
Speaker 3: We've worked on other things together too. But we met when she was on my two Dads.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say yeah when she was yeah, yeah, And she's amazing.
Speaker 3: She's like such a great best friend. It's fun to have friends like that for so long.
Speaker 1: Well, like you.
Speaker 2: Guys, yeah, yes, oh yeah, it really is. It's like you just.
Speaker 3: They know you so well, you know, they known you through all the different things in your life, you know.
Speaker 4: And being in this weird little club.
Speaker 5: Of young people in the business is you know, it's nice to have a friend that also really understands that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, for sure. And we went to high school together and actually she en it up. We were best friends.
Speaker 3: We met, we became like just inseparable, and then I lived in a little townhouse and when she during when by the time we were in high school, I'm a year older than she is, but by the time both of us were in high school, she actually lived she rented another townhouse in our little community, like in.
Speaker 2: My little townhouse. It was like I was maybe I think I was.
Speaker 3: Number like three or four, and she was like seven. So she's really close s guy. So that was really fun too.
Speaker 2: So fun oh night, was it like the oak Wood or something? It was not. I had lots of friends at the oak Wood, but no, it was on this It was on Whipple Street. It's actually gone now they already been down, but they tore down and yeah, yeah, but but it was really fun.
Speaker 3: And now those are the days where you could, like as a kid, ride your bike everywhere and like, you know, walk to the park and you know it's a little bit farther away.
Speaker 2: It's like so funny. How now it's just so different with kids. You know, there was my kids will I rent.
Speaker 5: My kids are like I'll be like, whyn't you ride a bike with me over to the gym? And my daughter looks at me like I have three heads. She's like, ride a bike. I was like yeah, She's like that's embarrassing. I was like what, yeah, can you get the whatever the gen z stare And they're like that's embarrassing.
Speaker 2: You're just like, it's a bicycle. I don't know what you mean. And it's also just like Lisa and lay where I don't know where you guys are, but where I am. It's like, you know, it's it's a little dangerous.
Speaker 5: I mean, well, yeah, it's it's you know, it's not certainly not growing up in Orange County where I was at, where you were, you know, just take off on your bike in the neighborhood for a couple hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know. But my daughter, I make her wear a she wears helmet. She's very seat. Yeah, as you should. Yeah, I've seen people. Yeah, and she she rides a break around with her helmet on, and she's like.
Speaker 5: I ride my bike all over the place in Studio City. I have a little basket and I just toddle around on my little bicycle.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: Lived in Venice, Like I would not drive my car unless I had to.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's the thing is like here, I'm like, I don't want to drive unless I have to. And most of the if I can keep things local, then I feel like I'm, you know, supporting small businesss.
Speaker 2: Actually it's like.
Speaker 3: For my daughter who's almost fifteen, it's she's fine, she wears the helmet like fun.
Speaker 2: But my son, who.
Speaker 3: Is just her nine, Yeah, now that's still like he wants to go out and ride.
Speaker 2: I'm like, let's just let's just go to park. Let's I have to ride, you know, I can't just let me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it depends on the neighborhood these days, but it is now. Childhood is a very a very different experience. It is now. Okay, so funny, little roundabout world here. Also, the little sister Danielle on My So Called Life, Lisa was played by Lisa will Hoot who is the older cousin of Blake and Dylan will Hoyt, who played the Katzopolis twins on Nikki and Alex on Full he Way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did not know that. It's a talented family. You know, it is a talented family. Wow, that's so funny, but yeah, so small little Uh. To be honest, I didn't even know that until Maddie found that out.
Speaker 5: So I'm not going to pretend like I knew some fact and and yeah I did not know that.
Speaker 2: Uh, Maddie put it in the.
Speaker 5: Facts and I was like, that's actually that's I did.
Speaker 1: Know that because I was such a huge fan of and I was like, oh, I'm like.
Speaker 2: You know, but I didn't know. Oh God, let's just talk about it.
Speaker 1: I mean, I know you have to get asked about it all the time, but we have to ask you about it because yeah.
Speaker 5: Since people ask us about stuff all the time, we it's we get the we get a pass, we get to.
Speaker 2: Ask you the same questions about things.
Speaker 5: Because yeah, no, I was that show came out. I think I was in eighth grade, so I was a little bit younger. But me and my best I just moved to Indian neighborhood, and me and my best friend would call each other on the phone and sit and watch it together on the phone and like talk about it, and it was everything.
Speaker 2: I loved that. I was so lucky I was. I felt like I won like the lottery to be able to be on that show.
Speaker 3: Like we we got when when we were even in the audition process. I mean that script the Winnie writes she's the I mean, she's the most beautiful, incredible person when oldsman, who know, but she's she's such a genius. But I mean like such like crazy genius, you know, she like all this kind of stuff. I mean, she's just like amazing, but she's equally the most amazing person, Like she is so lovely and kind and generous and just like the most beautiful human being.
Speaker 2: I feel like she is really like she married my husband and I when I got married, like I love yeah on such like sorry, I got really confused officiated. I was like, well you really do love her? Yeah? Great? Cool, Yeah, no, but she she is incredible.
Speaker 3: And but it was just like it was the same kind of idea like with your show, where everybody was like so nice and so fun and so funny, and just everybody was so great on that show, Like all the crew they were everybody was incredible, actors were so wonderful, all the directors were incredible. I mean, we just had we just had so much fun working on it that when we originally did the pilot and then we were on hold, like our holding fees and not just fees, but our holding like contract whatever it is, like had expired, and everybody was like, we don't care, we'll come back. We just want to be working on this show against everybody was so happy to be there, you know, and it was it was really like I knew while I was working on that show that this is like a once in a lifetime experience.
Speaker 5: Just yeah, I mean, it was an incredible show. Like you said that, the writing was just genius on it, and you know, as that at that age that like eighth grade, ninth grade.
Speaker 2: Middle school, high school, well and.
Speaker 5: Watching going back and watching it now, you're like, oh my god, they captured it so brilliantly.
Speaker 2: And your parents, so now what I like when I did. Yeah, now you go back and you're like, it's poor parents. No, I really identify with them so much now.
Speaker 3: It's so funny because when I was a kid, it was all about like because we would get the scripts and I everybody would be like, Oh, can't wait to see what's gonna happen, you know, like before you know, like when you reached episode and then and you know, it was so for for me and for you know, some of my friends on the show, Like it was about like what was happening with us, you know. But now we're adults with kids, a few of us, and so when you watch the show, you're like, oh my god, it's all about the parents, you know, which is crazy because.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like my perspective has completely changed.
Speaker 3: Change And she so winning. I guess like went to a high school in like Pittsburgh or something, And I think this is how if I remember correctly, and like hung out there and was sat in all the classes and talked to all the kids before she wrote the pilot so that she could I mean, that's how she's a genius.
Speaker 2: Like she she you know, she she does her homework. She like figured it out.
Speaker 3: And then I think that's you know, it wasn't like like a nine O two.
Speaker 2: One zero or nothing, which is also a great show and everything.
Speaker 5: You know, it was very real and grounded and and it also it dealt with stuff that kids were actually dealing with that had that parents were you know kind of like wait what you know, my sort of life did not shy away from some of the more difficult things and the you know.
Speaker 2: Well and also like.
Speaker 3: Even our wardrobe, like they we had a closet with just like a few things, Like we didn't have like this huge amount of new clothes every single day.
Speaker 2: He was like like normal people, it's like, oh, you're gonna wear one of like your three or four jeans, like okay.
Speaker 3: And oh what shure are we gonna wear? Oh you wore last episode? Great, you're wearing it again this episode.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like they.
Speaker 3: The attention to detail I thought was like really impressive, you know, and and also like they would do really neat things on that show where you would have like a line and they would do they would do a couple takes where they would say, okay, let's take that line out, so keep the beat of the moment, but like let's take that line out, and so you would still have that moment like without the line.
Speaker 2: Like they would they really it was I've never been.
Speaker 3: And then the very first after the read through of the pilot, we like improv, We like did this whole like improv when he gave us like all the backstory to our characters and you know, all this information and then we all all of us, all the actors all maybe it's all the kids.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure if the adults. I think it was just the kids.
Speaker 3: We all do this like improv and it was amazing as our character.
Speaker 2: It was just like it was.
Speaker 5: It sounds like a very theater experience, yes, where you really dig into the character and you have some time.
Speaker 2: And next level. It was really great. But I had very low when I got that.
Speaker 3: When I got my so called life, I had really long blonde hair that was like permed because you know.
Speaker 2: Right, and because it was the nineties. Oh, I've tried many a good hair off of my head bleached and who has hair now me?
Speaker 3: You see it?
Speaker 2: Oh there it goes.
Speaker 3: But yeah, but uh so I went in the first day and they cut my hair to hair and died it like auburn.
Speaker 2: And I came home my mom was like, whoa. But I loved it. I kept it for years and it was so great. Yeah, they made me look a lot.
Speaker 3: One horrible, a lot more midwestern, you know, sah, yeah, which was good.
Speaker 2: But yeah, we had it was. I had so much fun. It was that was. I felt so lucky to be on that show. Man.
Speaker 5: It was well, yeah it was. It was a really great show. And I think it's a shame Clare Danes never did anything. She really was great. No, but it was just such a groundbreaking show for young people to watch at the time that like dealt with young people's problems as serious and not you know, sort of silly.
Speaker 2: Or fluffy or over dramatic or it.
Speaker 3: Was just very real, very honest, and like with Wilson Cruz, I think that it was like one of the first shows to have like a.
Speaker 2: Gay gay character. Absolutely, he would.
Speaker 3: Get letters where kids would say, I was gonna like, you know, take my life because I felt so And now after seeing you on this show, I feel like, you know, seen and thank you, and now you know, it gave kids you know, strength, and they felt understood.
Speaker 5: And we're it's nice to see yourself reflected in the show.
Speaker 3: Right, And I mean, that's like amazing. But it's funny because I do still get recognized from that show so much. And it was so long ago. But we just went to I was with some friends with some moms for my son's school, and the waitress at this restaurant after we paid our bill, we were leaving and she.
Speaker 2: Was like, she started to cry.
Speaker 3: She was like, I just want to tell you that I one of the reasons I moved out to California.
Speaker 2: I loved my so called life so much.
Speaker 3: And then she started like bawling, so like me and all these pta moms. It was really funny because they were like, what is going on? But she was so sweet and so nice and she was it just you could just see how much that show affected her, and.
Speaker 2: It was so it was so sweet. I mean, because I was just lucky to be.
Speaker 3: On that show, so like, you know, I just with a very small little part, so I felt what she I agreed. I also feel like that, like it was just such an incredible experience and it really.
Speaker 2: Was just so fun and I don't know it was.
Speaker 3: It was such a really special time in my life and you know, all of us in Weeworth on that show. But yeah, it's it's funny.
Speaker 2: It's like still, I mean like I'm, you know, fifty.
Speaker 3: One years old and I'm you know, I did that show a long time ago.
Speaker 6: People are fread on me all and it's still but you guys still, I mean, you guys are doing the show again and stuff.
Speaker 2: So we did, yeah until twenty nineteen.
Speaker 5: We did Fuller five seasons on Netflix, and I mean five Netflix seasons, which is like, you know, nine to thirteen episodes, but hey, we'll take it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's really neat because I bet a lot of people saw that and then like went back like the.
Speaker 2: Oh for sure.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a lot of kids, like parents started their kids on Fuller House and then they were like, Okay, now we're gonna go back and watch the original one now that you kind of have an idea of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So right about your show is it was such like it was so wholesome, you know.
Speaker 3: It was like, I mean, even though they were those jokes, those guys were so funny.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, No, the jokes that were on screen and the jokes that were off screen were wildly different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was very different and so funny.
Speaker 3: But like I remember, I think shows like that are so good for especially for kids, and I can see why parents. You know, it's like, oh, let's go from the beginning, because you know, it's like they're teaching lessons.
Speaker 2: You know, it's like be a good person, be kind. You know.
Speaker 3: It's like it's stuff that like unfortunately, I feel like, you know, we're losing now, So it's it's nice, you know for these you know, it's a different time to be a kid. Now.
Speaker 2: There's all the sure like all the social media, all the you know, and it's this is all about like a much simpler time.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: There's no there's not a cell phone to be found, there's not a you know, nothing.
Speaker 2: It's just a very simple time.
Speaker 5: And I think, yeah, I think even kids nowadays are like, oh wow, that's so weird. You guys didn't have like any electronics. No, we all had to watch one DV.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. My daughter is like I wish I was born and like that's what I wish that I lived. Like like that's like to me.
Speaker 3: She loves She still doesn't do a ton of social media and I'm like, I'm so happy, yeah, because she has I think a good like good head space to live in and stuff, which is nice.
Speaker 5: But absolutely, yeah, absolutely, Are you is your daughter interested in acting or performing?
Speaker 2: I know that's the question we always get to. But so she does, you.
Speaker 3: Know, she does like speech and debate. She's Lollyball's great. Yeah, ye, sporty.
Speaker 2: So that's kind of one thing.
Speaker 3: My son is currently at a musical theater camp right now. Yeah. Yeah, he probably end up being the one that, you know, if he if you know, after he goes just performing and does all his stuff, like if.
Speaker 2: He wants, you know, he can do whatever he wants.
Speaker 3: But I feel like, again, like the stuff that you do in acting is something you can take with you to any kind of career that you for sure, just even public speaking. So many people that I know are like feel so uncomfortable with public speaking, And that's something I never dealt with because I was a child actor, you know, right, It's like it seems like easy for us, but it actually Yeah, that's the.
Speaker 5: Least scary thing that I ever have to do. They're like, oh, you have to go talk in front of a crowd, Like.
Speaker 3: Oh right, easy, that is like a real issue with like a good you know, a good amount of people that I know have said me, you know, you should teach a class on how to like you know.
Speaker 5: Whatever, because I my mom, our moms would do an episode of the show. My mom did one little thing, had to knock at the door and stand.
Speaker 2: There, and she was like, never again, never again. That was terrifying. Hey, I didn't want to do Yeah, yeah, I think that is so interesting.
Speaker 3: But but yeah, so that's so now.
Speaker 5: So you got a sporty one as you're older one, and then in speech of debate, and then young ones the performer that's kind of like mine really or yeah, yeah, my older daughter is uh super athletic and play soccer and all that. And then yeah, b is my is the the singing, dancing, tap dancing one.
Speaker 2: She's a performer.
Speaker 5: Oh yes, well, Devin, thank you so much for joining us on the show today. This was so much fun to like get to sort of mutually fangirl out at each other's shows. And also, you know, to talk about what a small, weird little world, uh growing up in this business.
Speaker 2: Hose, No, I know it really is, and I'm I'm it's funny that like we didn't really because I feel like we've never met, right how cross, I don't know. Oh especially, I don't know. It's so strange because.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I feel like a lot of people, I mean, there were people on your show that I knew Scott Wert Yeah, yeah, he dated Kelly Martin, who was a friend mine.
Speaker 2: Yep for six years, seven years time, So like there were people, you know, like, but.
Speaker 5: Well, you guys, I think you guys also were like a little bit older.
Speaker 2: I mean, you were a little bit older than I was.
Speaker 5: So that and five years or so makes all the difference in the world when you're young. And then I think also like you had done like guest appearance stuff. But when you started doing more of my so called life, full house was kind of done.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that was kind of when you.
Speaker 5: Start and I think maybe that was you had a different sort of cohort maybe a little bit.
Speaker 7: Right, Yeah at that time, I mean, yeah, you know now, yeah, because I'm I'm forty three, how do you're fifteen?
Speaker 2: You're baby, You're baby, don't worry.
Speaker 4: I'm I've aged myself on.
Speaker 2: The inside considerably.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, my soldier years right, yeah.
Speaker 5: Oh god, yeah, but no, I I so I think, yeah, that's always sort of the hard thing to you know, can a difference makes But.
Speaker 2: But I did.
Speaker 5: I look up to you on my so called life because I was like, oh my gosh, this is like again the older wiser, you know, you obviously.
Speaker 2: Knew everything at that point, and so I was like, gold Girls.
Speaker 3: One of my girlfriends just gave me a Golden Girl calendar. So that's what you get to look forward to, is a oh no.
Speaker 5: We are, We're I've been We've been throwing this idea around for years that we uh, the next iteration of of full House somehow is going to be Fullest House, and it's going to be us as the Golden Girls on on the Luni in a calf tan eating.
Speaker 2: Cheesecake and that. Yeah, that's gonna be it cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, full retirement home, Yeah, full nursing home hopefully guest on that. Yeah, we're gonna it's gonna be just all old nineties child stars.
Speaker 2: We're all gonna be old.
Speaker 5: It's gonna we're gonna do it like twenty years and just really go for it.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I think it's gonna be great. Yeah, thank you, Yeah, let's do it well perfect, this was your audition. I am so glad that you've taken on this rule. It's gonna be really great. You got the role, tell you right here in the room. But yeah, you didn't even know you were auditioning. Yeah, go ahad we got the sound work out now? Yeah, sorry about that. Yeah, I'm so glad we've got that, or we we wouldn't know.
Speaker 5: No, But Devin, thank you so much for joining us. Let people know. Are you on socials where they can find you, or if you're promoting stuff, or if you're like a normal person.
Speaker 2: Now are you in? Are you? I'm full, mom, I'm full mom.
Speaker 3: I actually did just work on something, but I'm allot to say what it is.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's so ridiculous, but it was not because I don't know, it's so funny. Everything is so secretive. But I just did three episodes of a show that was.
Speaker 2: Like so much fun and such a gift. I mean, I everybody on that show, it was like they were the nicest people ever, and I couldn't even believe so.
Speaker 3: But it's not doesn't come out till till next year, and I don't know why they they my manager was like, you know, what's suppos talk about it and I'm like.
Speaker 5: Oh, yeah, yeah, well so there's something coming but we don't know what it is yet and it's going to be next year.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's just three episodes. There's a dangling care Yeah, it's just yeah, and it's a small little role.
Speaker 3: But it was super fun and everybody looks like super nice and I think, like, you know, it's hard, it's hard right now for actors and stuff.
Speaker 2: So I feel like the luckiest for every world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I feel like when you work and I have friends that are working right now, and it's like everybody on set is just like so happy to be there that it's really positive experiences for everybody. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Right there, everyone's like, I'm just so glad to pay my rod.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's truly though. Well she's kind of like the job.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, well awesome. Then we will keep our eye out for that. Devin, And so lovely to have you on the show.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for us so much for I really appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, and uh and we will see you around soon.
Speaker 2: I mean I might run into you all right right here. You by.
Speaker 5: She's so great. She's such a sweetheart. Yeah, and now it's so funny now that I hear her kids name, I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, oh yeah, yeah, no, I totally that's so awesome.
Speaker 1: Smart.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Her hair has always been the most fabulous hair ever since she was young.
Speaker 2: Like, what are your secrets?
Speaker 5: I mean, I always have hair. But yeah, I see people like that. I'm like, that's got it's a wig. I want to pull on it.
Speaker 1: You know, she's so lovely, I get I love me really Yeah. Nineties child actors that.
Speaker 2: We never we never met, yeah in the day, So this was long overdue. I know, I feel like I may have met her now I don't never met her.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think we were kind of it was like ships sort of passing in the night with our in terms of when we started working more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, that was great.
Speaker 5: I'm so and I'm excited to see the pirate episode, mostly to make fun of my cousins at that.
Speaker 2: I can't wait. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I did watch the scene she was in last night, just the scene, but I can't wait to watch the whole.
Speaker 2: Thing and see your cousin. Yeah. Yes, hysterics so great. All right, Well, thank you everybody for joining us.
Speaker 5: In the meantime, if you want to follow us on Instagram, you can check us out at how Rude podcast, or you can send us an email at how Rude Tanarito's at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Like and subscribe.
Speaker 5: You know the deal, Give us a rating, give us some stars, tell us you love us.
Speaker 2: You know whatever we were, we're actors.
Speaker 5: We're terribly insecure, so just yeah, you know, you us want to please let us know. If you don't, please don't let us know. It really damage our.
Speaker 2: Our fragile egos. But anyway, we love you guys.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much Tannerrito's and Fana Rito's for listening, and we will see you next time.
Speaker 2: And remember the world is small, but the house is full of wonder, small wonder, like small wonder. Yeah, it's a small world, lots of wonder. Very smart, Jody, sweet and wonder. I'm tracking. I mean, you had to tie in.
Speaker 5: I'm weirdly obsessed with that Robot girl show next, so weird y