Speaker 1: It's time for Donkey of the day. You have a bunch of donkeys out here in the street. Don't here today called donkey of the day. It really caught me off guard.
Speaker 2: If we live a life where we write are tell based off who we may offenised.
Speaker 1: He never would say anything. Give it to you are a donkey. That is why Charlemagne is some donkey today Bakfast Club. Okay, Charlamagne, who'll be giving Donkey of the day too?
Speaker 3: It's to day?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, Donkey to day for Tuesday, August eighteenth goes to one of the most confusing people in American politics, Congressman Hakeem Jefferson.
Speaker 1: Well, actually he's not confusing.
Speaker 2: If you follow the corporate pack money, then you know exactly why Haqum moves the way he moves. Okay, it's a reason they call him a pac shakor it's a reason they call him a pac rocky. But today we are here to talk about APAC. We are here to discuss Medicare for All. Okay, what is Medicare for All? It is a proposed single pair national health insurance system for the US. It would expand and improve the current public Medicare program to cover all residents, replacing private health insurance companies and eliminating out of pocket costs like premiums, co pays, and deductibles care.
Speaker 1: A lot of data I've seen.
Speaker 2: Says around fifty to sixty percent of all Americans support a national Medicare for all, our single payer healthcare system. But Hakim Jeffries is not one of those people. See Hakim was on Meet de Press with Christen Welker, and the House Minority Leader indicated that he does not currently support Medicare for all. Okay legislation, even though he co sponsored similar bills from twenty thirteen to twenty twenty one.
Speaker 1: Let's go to Meet the Press for the report.
Speaker 3: Please, all right, let's move on to Medicare for All. You co sponsored Medicare for All legislation from twenty thirteen to twenty twenty one, You've not co sponsored it since you became Democratic leader. Will you put Medicare for All up for a vote if you become speaker?
Speaker 4: Well, listen, these are all conversations that the House Democratic Caucus is going to have to have right now. We're focused on November third, not January third. What we are promising the American people, is that we're going to fight to make health care affordable for every single American. And we know there's a lot of damage that Republicans have done that we've got to restore and repair. For instance, Republicans have enacted the largest cut to Medicaid in American history. More than a trillion dollars or so has been cut from Medicaid, and what you're going to have is about fourteen million Americans lose access to healthcare.
Speaker 3: Do you personally support Medicare for All? Do you personally support Medicare for All?
Speaker 4: No, as you indicate it, I haven't co sponsored the Medicare for All legislation that has been introduced over the last several years. I do think we need to figure out how to fix our broken health care system and then build something better once we repair the damage that has been done. Now that will include doing things like extending the Affordable Care Act tax credits so that more than twenty million people who have seen their health insurance premium skyrocket in some cases by up to a thousand thousand dollars a month. That's not sustainable and that's something that Donald Trump and Republicans have visited upon the American people.
Speaker 3: Just be very clear, though, as a Democratic leader in the House, would you vote for or against Medicare for All?
Speaker 4: I think, as you've indicated in your question to me, it's not legislation that I currently am co sponsoring or that I support. Okay, but we do support the notion that we've got to find a path forward to fix our broken healthcare system and make health care affordable for every single American.
Speaker 1: Pathetic.
Speaker 2: Some Democrats don't want to win, and it's about time folks stop pretending that they do. Okay, now, listen, I want to be clear, Hakim Jeffries is not getting donkey of today because he doesn't support Medicare for All. You are allowed to not support Medicare for all. You can believe in a public option. You can believe in scrimphening Obamacare. You can believe in expanding Medicare and Medicaid. You can believe there's another way to get every American affordable health care. That's called having a policy position. But with Hakim did on meet the Press illustrates one of the biggest problems Democrats have right now, and it's one of the things that pisses me off the most.
Speaker 1: About the Democratic Party. They will tell people what they're.
Speaker 2: Against without giving them something equally clear that they're for. Okay, we will come back to that. But I have a question for Hakim Jeffries in regards to Medicare for All.
Speaker 1: Simply what changed? Okay? Right, Hakim?
Speaker 2: In September twenty nineteen, you became a co sponsor of the Medicare for All Act. Then in twenty twenty one, Hakim, you know you wasn't just somebody who eventually jumped onto Medicare for All. No, you was an original co sponsor of the Medicare for All Act of twenty twenty one meeting.
Speaker 1: When that bill was introduced, your name was already on it. Okay.
Speaker 2: Now fast forward to twenty twenty six, Hakim Jeffries, as you just heard, goes on meet the Press and says Medicare for All is not legislation that he currently co sponsors are supports.
Speaker 1: Once again, what changed?
Speaker 2: What did you learn between twenty twenty one and now that changed your mind?
Speaker 1: Did the economics change?
Speaker 2: Did you discover something about Medicare for All that you didn't you know, you know when you co sponsored it? Did America's healthcare system suddenly get better. We know the answer to that. Did premiums get so cheap that I missed the announcement? Did deductibles disappear? Did prescription drugs become free? Did medical that go away? The insurance companies stopped the nying claims? Because if any of that happened, we all missed it.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: And by the way, politicians are absolutely allowed to change their minds. Okay, we should actually encourage people. People to change their minds when they get new information. Growth requires changing your mind sometimes, Wisdom requires changing your mind sometimes. But when you're an elected official and you change your position on something this significant, the people deserve to know why, especially when the thing that changed most dramatically during that time appears to be your position. Okay, not your policy position, your actual position. Because once again, in twenty twenty one, Hakem you was a congressman from Brooklyn.
Speaker 1: Remember that.
Speaker 2: Remember when you was a congressman from Brooklyn and you was quoting Biggie and Jay appearing to be down with the people. Today, you're the leader of the House Democrats, okay, the House Democratic Caucus, and could potentially become Speaker.
Speaker 1: Of the House. But you appear to be done with corporate America, not the people. So I have to ask did your beliefs change when your title changed? Because that's what people hate about politics.
Speaker 2: Okay, It's not disagreement, all right, It's the feeling that politicians believe one thing when they're trying to move up, and another thing once they moved up. Okay, And Akim Jeffreys has repeatedly said, healthcare.
Speaker 1: Is are right?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: If healthcare is are right? How are you gonna guarantee that right? That's all we want to know.
Speaker 2: Okay, Because if medicare for all isn't the answer anymore, what's the answer. Don't just tell me what you don't support, tell me what you do support. How are democrats gonna make sure every American has health care? How are you gonna lower premiums? How are you gonna load deductibles? How are you gonna lower prescription drug prices? How are you gonna stop families from being financially destroyed because somebody simply got sick? What happens to the millions of Americans who are uninsured, are underinsured?
Speaker 1: What's the plan, my guy?
Speaker 2: Okay? Because this is another problem democrats have. You cannot spend all day telling America what Republicans are doing wrong and never clearly articulate what you're going.
Speaker 1: To do right.
Speaker 2: Opposition is not an agenda, Resistance is not an agenda, where not them is not an agenda, And saying we need to fix our broken healthcare system isn't a plan. And tell you to tell people how you're going to fix the broken healthcare system. Regular people don't wake up debating the finer points of single pair.
Speaker 1: Of health care, okay.
Speaker 2: They wake up asking why am I paying hundreds of dollars a month for insurance and still have a deductible that's thouands of dollars?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Why did my insurance company deny the procedure my doctor said I need? Why does this prescription cost hundreds of dollars that I don't have? Why am I afraid to go to the er because I don't know what the bill is going to look like. That's what people are dealing with in real life, Hakim. So, once again, Hakim, I don't need you to support Medicare for all, but I need you to explain why you supported Medicare for all when you weren't the Democratic leader, but democratic Hakim Democratic leader Hakim Jeffrey, does it?
Speaker 1: Okay? What changed? All right? Was it? The policy?
Speaker 4: Was it?
Speaker 1: The country? Are your position?
Speaker 2: And I'm asking because leadership should make you know, shouldn't make your convictions harder to find. Leadership should make your convictions clearer.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: If you believe Medicare for all was the solution in twenty nineteen and believes it enough to become an original Cospontan in twenty twenty one, but you don't believe it's the solution in twenty twenty six, you have to tell us why, and more importantly, probably the most important, tell us what replaced it, because you can't tell Americans healthcare is a right and then get vague when they ask you how you're going to guarantee that right. Rights require mechanisms, rights require policy, Rights require somebody actually fighting to make those rights real. And maybe that's the lesson in all of this, all right. The easiest thing for a politician to change is their position. When their position changes, when you're trying to climb the ladder, bold ideas sound great, okay, and then you become responsible for protecting suits and raising money and maintaining coalitions and potentially becoming speaker, not to mention taking corporate back money, and suddenly.
Speaker 1: Those bull the ideas get a whole lot quiet on the creek.
Speaker 2: Okay, I understand the politics of that, but the American people deserve more than politics. They deserve an explanation. So, Congressman Jeffries, you don't owe anyone your support for MEDICAI for all. What you owe the American people is an explanation for why something worthy of your signature in twenty twenty one isn't worthy of your support in twenty twenty six. And until you explain that, people have every right to wonder whether the thing that changed was the policy or the politician, please give House Democratic Leader how Kim Jeffries the biggest.
Speaker 1: He huh, what the hell is that? You need to go see somebody right now.
Speaker 2: Jesus Christ, that's a damn biscuit God like a damn a cat.
Speaker 1: The guy has stuff that's you about to call up a frog?
Speaker 2: You know, one time I see somebody put rootwork on someone and they caught up a whole frog.
Speaker 1: Sounded just like that. It could be a hairball. How many bits you head? All right? Thank you for thank you for that Donkey of the Day.
Speaker 2: Donkey of Today is sponsored by renowned personal injury attorney Michael the Bull lamb is soft. Don't be a donkey when you need a fighter on your side. If you're ever injured, go to Michael to bull dot com. That's Michael to bull dot com. And when you mess with the bull, you get the horns.