Speaker 1: Hey, guys, welcome to I've never said this before with me Tommy di Dario. It is officially the week of Love. Yes, whether you hate it, whether you love it. Valentine's Day, it's approaching. But here's something that I know for sure you will love, and that's the new romantic comedy horror film Heart Eyes. My guest today is the wonderfully talented actress Olivia Hall, who stars in this incredible film opposite Mason Gooding, who I had on my show last week and was a total gem. Okay, So Olivia, She's quickly rising to the top as part of Hollywood's next generation. You know and you love her from the hit show Cruel Summer and from Marvel's Cloak and Dagger. She also started opposite Kuran and Shipka in the film Totally Killer. Oh and she made her Broadway debut as Roxy Heart in Chicago Casual. Plus he is such a gifted singer and her EP titled Olivia debut in the top twenty on Billboard's New Artist Chart. But let's get back to Hard Eyes, because Olivia is such a badass in this movie. The main goal is to stay alive on the most romantic day of right, how hard can that be? The mass killer targets couples, and Olivia's character finds herself as the latest victim. But what's so unique and fun about this movie is, yes, you have all of the jump scares that you crave and want in horror, but there are also really tender and sweet and comedic moments, ones that you find in your favorite rom coms. So at the very least, if you aren't a big Valentine's Day fan, well perhaps this movie will give you a reason to look forward to that holiday every single year. So let's see if today we can get Olivia to say something that she has never said before. Olivia Hall, how are you, my friend?
Speaker 2: I'm good?
Speaker 1: You're good. Are you feeling alive? I know you've been busy on a whirlwind.
Speaker 2: I actually feel really good. I don't feel jet lagged yet.
Speaker 3: I feel like normally that hits me when I finally have like settled into my space and at home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I feel good. I'm happy to be here.
Speaker 1: Well, what an exciting time for you right now? I saw the movie. I love the movie. We're going to talk all about it. I am such a big horror fan, so I had high expectations going to this film, and they were exceeded. I will say I thought it was absolutely fantastic. But to start, I was doing a little perusing on your Instagram and I saw you got a tattoo? Was it in December?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And I believe it says always, yes, correct?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: What is the meaning behind that? Cause I didn't see a caption about it. Someone what that means?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 1: Always? Was that your first tattoo?
Speaker 3: No, I actually have like sixteen. Oh yeah, it's yeah. No one really knows this, but they're all kind of hidden, and they're all very dainty and small.
Speaker 2: The biggest I have two big ones.
Speaker 3: One is on my back and it's a skeleton wearing cowboy boots, and then I have a dagger along my neck and Always. I actually got a matching one with one of my childhood friends. She has it in the exact same spot, So that's kind of like our thing. But I also like to think it has a double meaning because I'm obsessed with Harry Potter, and if you're a Harry Potter fan, you know that there is a very famous line in the franchise where a character says always.
Speaker 2: So I got it for that and there's like a little period at the end.
Speaker 1: Oh I love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can't see it in the post because it's so small. It's actually probably the period. It's probably gone now wow, because it's so small.
Speaker 1: So you're kind of addicted to tattoos.
Speaker 2: I am a little bit. I go through phases.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I want them all off my body and then other times like I want them everywhere.
Speaker 2: I love them. They are addicting.
Speaker 1: I've been debating getting my first one lately. Don't Leslie, I'm afraid to say anything in front of your girl, Leslie over here. Okay, she approves, good good. I don't know if I'm gonna hear about that later. But yeah, I've been.
Speaker 2: Roll when I said I had sixteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well I'm working on my first. We'll see if I if I.
Speaker 2: Get the courage.
Speaker 3: But like once you once you have one, it's it's hard to steer away from getting more.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, maybe you'll be my inspiration. Maybe I was meant to meet you to get the courage to do it.
Speaker 2: I'm all for it. You have my full approval.
Speaker 1: Okay, good good, good, Well, I need to talk to you about your character and heart eyes, heart eyes is great for so many reasons. But I really liked your character because she's such a total badass. And I feel like in a lot of these horror movies sometimes the protagonist can be portrayed as a real victim, and your girl's not. She's not. She's a total badass. Are you a badass like her?
Speaker 2: I would like to think I am.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how so.
Speaker 3: I think a lot like Alie. I feel like I have qualities that are very strong willed, I feel very opinionated. I also feel very grounded in what I believe in for myself. And Ali is a driven human being. She wants to have She believes in longevity and believes in her career and what can.
Speaker 2: Come of it.
Speaker 3: And I really love that when she meets Jay her he offers her a chance of perspective and she doesn't steer away from the things that she still believes in. But I think she's a little bit more open in that way.
Speaker 2: And I just I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think that there's like a really beautiful layer in quality in a human and especially like in a woman on like that you're seeing on screen. I think being portrayed that way is really special. And this badass quality that she has. I think it just comes naturally to her, and obviously she probably would have never guessed in a million years that she would be being chased by a serial killer on one of, you know, the most romantic nights of the year.
Speaker 2: But she really showcases her bad assery.
Speaker 3: And I would like to think when I'm putting uncomfortable or extreme sitch situations that that quality of myself can come out to.
Speaker 1: And you're no stranger to horror, right, It's a genre that you're quite familiar with.
Speaker 3: That I definitely have gotten into it more of my adult life.
Speaker 2: I do love that this genre.
Speaker 3: Has like opened up a whole new side of me because I used to just really be into I mean, I love action movies, I love anything in like the fantasy world, but horror I had never really like sunk my teeth into and even not even just like me being in this world just watching watching horror movies and like becoming an actual true fan. I think I just have gained a whole new respect for this genre and.
Speaker 1: Hard Eyes in particular. You've said is the most fun You've had with any job in your life.
Speaker 3: Why so, Well, it all starts with a great script and a great director. And I think our director, Josh Rubin hung the moon.
Speaker 2: He is so so.
Speaker 3: Talented and has a brilliant mind, and his vision is just.
Speaker 2: It's one of a kind.
Speaker 3: And when I met with him before I signed on to do the job, I knew immediately if it wasn't this job that I was going to work on with him, it would be it would be something because I think he's so so good And I think ultimately like it's the camaraderie, it's the community, it's home away from home for a lot of people, because I think what a lot of people don't realize is that actors, when they go and they do a job, it's always most.
Speaker 2: Of the time not at home.
Speaker 3: Like it's not in their space, it's not around their friends, it's not around their family. They're isolated from all of those people. So we shot this movie in New Zealand, which is all the way across the world, and we were there for a little over two and a half months. And you want it to feel like you wanted to feel homey, You want it to feel comfortable. And I think everyone did such a beautiful job, from everyone in production to our crew, to our incredible cast. I mean, everyone really just made it an incredible and safe environment.
Speaker 1: And you and Mason, I mean, the two of you have electric chemistry on screen, and this is a movie where you can't fake it, like you really have to have the audience believe in what's going on on screen between the two of you. So when you meet someone like a co star like Mason, how do you form that bond? How do you form that chemistry? Because you're two strangers being put together, maybe not strangers, but you don't presumably know each other. Well, you're put together very quickly, and you have to form this relationship so that it's believable, which is not how regular everyday life works. Right. That takes time, that does trust and all of that. So how do you get there to make that magic happen on screen with somebody like Mason?
Speaker 3: Well, I fear I'm not going to be able to use the same vocabulary as he did with me, because he definitely is my hype man in his life.
Speaker 2: With someone like Mason who is so.
Speaker 3: Passionate about what he does, but also just passionate about people that he cares about, it was very easy to fall into that. From day one of meeting him. He made me feel seen, he made me feel hurt, he made me feel comfortable. He created a very safe environment for me, and that was on and offset whether we were doing a scene that incorporated a lot of stunt choreography or whether we were trying to decide what we were going to eat for lunch. Like, he just like made every day so much fun. And he and he just in you can tell how much he cares. He really is just a compassionate person. And so the way that he the way that he created the environment on set, but the way that he chose to to learn about me and to create a friendship, I think I just I really respected that and we just leaned into it. And I think that translates on screen and you can feel it when you watch our characters.
Speaker 2: Do the other thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's that's a level of trust you have to put in someone else's hands, too, right, And I imagine that when you are halfway across the world and you're not in your an environment, you just hope and pray and wish that you're with somebody. Corslreat time.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, every time every time I go and do a job, I'm like I better like these people because it doesn't makes such a difference. And I think that's why I had so much fun making this movie is because everyone everyone really leaned on each other in the most beautiful and authentic way, and it just it separates.
Speaker 2: It separates like.
Speaker 3: A normal job where you're stressed and like just trying to make the day because time is money and money is time and you know all of these things that we're used to hearing on a job every single day. But when you can like wake up every morning and feel like you can do cartwheels on the way to work, that's like it feels.
Speaker 2: Like you made it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I had him on the show last week, as you know, and I said to him, Okay, i'll camera, what is something quirky that I can bring up for Olivia? Oh no, and let me tell you. He had a list of like seven things, and I'm like, Mason, I don't have four hours, so let me pick like my favorite too. So one of the things he said I have to bring up is that you had a private rehearsal with Josh and he told you two specific things. What were those? And why is he making me ask you?
Speaker 2: Wait? That him and I had a private rehearsal Josh are just me.
Speaker 1: I think he made it seem like you did. Is he trying to stir the pot?
Speaker 2: I think he might be stirring the pot. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't think I remember having Here's what I think. I think this is the story. So there's a scene in the movie where our characters go to dinner and there's a little tip for tatting between the two of our characters. And this was actually both of Mason and I audition scenes that we didn't do a chemistry read. So the first time that we got to read these as our characters was when we touchdown in New Zealand and we were in we were in a rehearsal with Josh and this is probably, like, I don't know, a six page scene of dialogue, which is really heavy work. And we had spent we knew that we were going to spend an entire day working on this scene, and we rehearsed it quite a bit just to get the words in our body and to you know, make it feel natural. And then it kind of felt mundane, like the way we were saying it. It didn't really feel authentic any more. And There was one day we were sitting at a long table and Mason and I were across from each other, and Josh was sitting at the head of the table and we were rehearsing the scene and he said, m I'm gonna try something, and he writes down a note on one tiny little piece of paper and he gives it to Mason. And he writes down a little note on a tiny piece of paper and he gives it to me, and Mason and I both read the notes and we were like, We looked at Josh and we were like, do we tell it? Hees, No, don't tell each other. Just take the note and do the scene again. And something magical happened. And still to this day, we don't know what was written on those notes, but that is the way that we chose to approach the scene on the day of shooting. And I think that's the story. He probably is mentioning when he told you this.
Speaker 1: So you haven't said, what's on your note? No? Well why not? Now? I feel like I have to know.
Speaker 3: I feel like, one day, oh, well, okay, you will. But I kind of love that Josh just had this this and it's.
Speaker 2: You know, it's Josh.
Speaker 3: He has a brilliant mind and just like a little light bulb went off in his head when he was watching the two of us rehearse this scene. And for some reason, the notes that the note that he gave me, I was like, oh, okay, I can do this, And the note that he gave Mason, Mason seems like he could do it too, And yeah, we don't know, all right.
Speaker 1: The other thing I have to ask you is something about lamby am I saying.
Speaker 3: Okay, So Lammy is okay? First all, when I set up the scene, the scene is we're in New Zealand. It's everyone's summer, but it's their winter, so it's freezing cold in New Zealand. It's like negative something degrees out and we were shooting mostly at night, and normally we all the actors get a warming coat in between scenes or in between takes, and sometimes they'll give you hot water bottles, you know I'm talking about, like the ones you can like hold to your body to keep warm. Well, the costume department had some really fun covers that you could put over the hot water bottles, and the one that they would give me every day was a lamb, and I don't.
Speaker 2: This is it.
Speaker 3: It's probably had to be there moment. This does not sound that exciting now that I'm saying it out loud, but I loved this lamb and I named it Lammy. And anytime that they would hand the hot water bottle that was, you know, dressed up as the lamb to any other actor.
Speaker 2: I would be like, why'd you give it to them? And me? I love Lammy. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then there was a really funny day where they were we were about to break for lunch and.
Speaker 2: Someone had asked, what's for lunch?
Speaker 3: What are we eating for lunch today? And someone said, oh, I think lamb chops And I was like, Lammy, So we had, we had, so we had. I mean like, that's just like an example of how much fun we had on set. We just like constantly we're creating inside jokes. But I'm gonna kill him for that one. That was a sacred thing for me.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's your next tattoo, a lamb.
Speaker 2: I'll think about it.
Speaker 1: You're like, no, I'm not getting a lamb on my body. Shut down and shut down, all right? Well, thank you, Mason. I know you'll be listening, so thank you for those questions. If you could be a part of any other horror friend, what would you pick? Ooh, have you really not been asked that yet? No?
Speaker 2: Our whole tour really Oh okay, that's like my favorite.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, I knew that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, but it's it's really hard to choose because I mean, there's so many iconic I know, I honestly, one of the first franchises I fell in love with was Halloween. Like Michael Myers, like I love like, I love Michael Myers. Also, I'm obsessed with the jumpsuit, and he looks so good in jumpsuit.
Speaker 2: I don't know, maybe maybe Halloween.
Speaker 1: Are you crushing on him right now?
Speaker 2: I think I have a crush.
Speaker 1: On Halloween's great, right right? I love that solid choice, good choice. I love the Halloween h two twenty years later.
Speaker 2: That yeah great, it was so good. It was so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I see you. You never know what can happen, some more might get made, so potentially, never know, you never know. I love your story because I think it's I'm always fascinated when people work at such a young age in this business, and I know at twelve you started working in the Disney World, right doing acting and singing and all of the things, and then you transitioned into this adulthood headlining your own movie in a major studio release, which isn't always the easiest thing to do. Was that transition tricky for you to navigate at all?
Speaker 2: Of course? Yeah? Yeah, I think.
Speaker 3: I think I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what the right move was for me doing the transition, because everyone is familiar with that formula and like how it turns out for a lot of people, or just how challenging it can be to try and get people to see you as not a child actor, or as not a former Disney star, or as.
Speaker 2: Not X Y and Z.
Speaker 3: And I think for me, I really tried to learn how to shift my perspective and just find projects that I really believed in and filmmakers that I really believed in as well, and.
Speaker 2: That that was not hard.
Speaker 3: I think there are really talented people out there, and I've luckily have been in and have created incredible relationships with people in this industry that I think are so wildly talented and that I hope I get the opportunity to work with again and again and again and again, and trying to be strategic can be really tricky because this job ain't for the I mean, it is a very very, very tricky.
Speaker 2: Career to succeed in.
Speaker 3: And I do want to be strategic about the jobs that I choose, but sometimes you can't get that lucky. And I think for me, it really is like about the ones that I believe in the most, and Hard Eyes was one of those. Hard Eyes was one of those jobs. And I don't know, I bet every year is different. You know, you hear it all the time from actors that sometimes they had to take a little break, sometimes they needed to just take a paycheck. And I hope I never get to that place. I hope I constantly am finding things that I'm obsessed with and want to make and want to bring to life. But for now, I feel very blessed to have had the path that I have been on over the course of my career.
Speaker 1: Did you feel like you ever had to work extra hard to showcase a different side to your talents when you were kind of coming out of that Disney bubble and stepping into other projects that interested you?
Speaker 2: Of course, yeah.
Speaker 3: And I don't even think I really knew what I was doing or if I even knew how to challenge myself. I grew up on sitcom and that was kind of my.
Speaker 2: Bread and butter.
Speaker 3: I fell into like a really good routine of what my schedule was like and how I would I mean, when you're playing the same character for X amount of days, months, years, you just sort of fall into a rhythm. And when I started making movies, it's a very it's.
Speaker 2: A very different rhythm.
Speaker 3: And I felt like I was really stepping outside of my comfort zone with how to approach a character, How to approach Okay, we're about to go into seven weeks of shooting, how do you and only those seven weeks are you spending that time with that with that story and with that character? And so I really had to approach it differently and to also believe in myself. I think that was a really hard thing to do, to think like, oh, I'm not just like a child actor who who's funny? Like I want to challenge myself and take on real gritty roles that I can sink my teeth into and something that will challenge me and help me evolve not only as an artist but as a person.
Speaker 1: You know, what's so crazy even hearing you say that I'm not just a child actor, like I know so many people who did work as you know, at that young I get you feel that same way, right, and I'm hearing that not that, and I'm like, oh my god, just a child actor like you guys were doing things that we weren't doing growing up, Like I wasn't working at that age. And to have that kind of mindset of still wanting to prove that you can do more blows my mind. So it's like, well, you were doing so much.
Speaker 2: Then it messes with your head, right, But.
Speaker 1: I understand wanting to be put in a box. Right at the end of the day. None of us want to be put in a box. And I'm sure you had to kind of work through some of that stuff like Okay, like am I going to do this? Am I not going to do it? Can I do it? Like I'm used to? One thing?
Speaker 3: Well, then there's this really interesting pivot where most of the child actors, by the time their show is wrapping up, they're turning eighteen, and so you're also trying to figure out who you are as a person and a young adult, like stepping into like your late teens, early twenties, and that also messes.
Speaker 2: With your head because you're like, oh, oh.
Speaker 3: This is I've been this kid on this show, this thing that somebody has known me from for so long, and now that that's ending, who am I?
Speaker 2: Not only as an actor, but who am I? Like my very core?
Speaker 3: And that's also a really challenging thing to just dump on you too. Is this like chapter of your life is ending?
Speaker 1: So how are you so normal? But you're sitting here so together. I'm like, I don't know if I would be if I went through all of that. I'm just saying, you must surround yourself with good people.
Speaker 3: No, I definitely, Yeah, I would say that's a huge part of it. I have an amazing, supportive family. I don't know where I would be without them. They're definitely a huge part of who I am today. And a lot of it, yeah, is surrounding myself with great friends. And I've definitely had to, like, you know, go through like the weaving out of who those people are and I still am and it's and it doesn't get easier, but it definitely grounds me in a real way. And I feel very lucky for them because they're the people that I have to lean on.
Speaker 2: In the hard moments.
Speaker 1: Well, it's evident from an outside perspective, you're someone who does the work right and you want to make sure you're always kind of staying with your two feet on the ground and grounded in a very bizarre world that you work in. Were there any people from the Disney world or even the Nickelodeon world who were child actors who transitioned as well that you looked up to, or mentored or ever got a vice from to kind of like feel us alone when you were going through this business.
Speaker 3: Interesting, I I mean, there were definitely a lot of people that I looked up to.
Speaker 2: My sort of.
Speaker 3: Generation of Disney that I watched was you know, the the Miley Demi Selena era, And there is an actor on Hannah Montana who played Miley's brother. His name is Jason Earls, and Jason Earles actually came over to the first show that I ever did, called Kicking It. I was twelve years old when I started that show. I had no idea what I was doing. I don't even know how I booked the job. I did not think I was a good actor, but he very quickly became my mentor. He just sort of helped without telling us kids, like how you're.
Speaker 2: Going to do it and how it's going to be.
Speaker 3: He sort of helped guide us in a really beautiful way that made us feel comfortable and made us feel respected as kids. And I don't even think I knew what that meant at that time, But now looking back, I owe so much of who I am to him as an actor and as an artist, because.
Speaker 2: He really helped. He really helped create.
Speaker 3: Just such an awesome environment for us kids and a safe place to go to if we were ever confused or if we ever didn't know what was going on. And I think he's just a really wonderful, talented person and I'm very, very very grateful that he was.
Speaker 2: He was a part of our show.
Speaker 3: He was like our big brother, leading the way and helping us navigate this crazy career path that we've chosen.
Speaker 1: And he wasn't even part of it.
Speaker 2: No, he was. He was an actor. He was as he was in the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he still took the time to do that and help and mentor. Isn't an amazing when life puts these like as I call them, angels in front of you who you don't really know in the moments sometimes what the purposes are, why you appreciate them and you value them, but then you look back and you're like, oh my god, if I didn't have that, I could have maybe gone a few different ways.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, he's definitely one of those people. He just very clearly showed us the way without even what and I liked he never like talked down to us. He never talked to us like we were kids. And I very quickly caught on too that because so many people on that set, I mean, we were kids, so of course people are going to talk to us like we're kids and sometimes treat us like we're kids.
Speaker 2: But he made us feel.
Speaker 3: Like like like like we were one of him, like we were one of the big dogs. And that just made that made me especially I was the only girl on that set.
Speaker 2: It's the only girl and a bunch.
Speaker 3: Of teenage boys, and then Jason just like, yeah, he.
Speaker 2: Was the best.
Speaker 1: That's amazing, that's amazing. You you have so much to be proud of. Like I said earlier, to be leading your own studio film like this on such a grand scale is something that is so hard to achieve, and you're doing it and you put in the work over your career to be doing it. You're part You're part of so many fan favorite projects, And when I announced you as my guest, people were commenting and writing and they were just so exciting seeing where your fan bases are from. You know, like Cruel Summer, The fandom of that is incredible.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you know? All over TikTok people are creating videos hoping and praying that you'll come back for another season. Have you seen those? You have seen those?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I have?
Speaker 1: Is that something you would ever do? Or you think you've kind of moved on?
Speaker 3: I loved that show, and I also love that so many people loved it and that they're still wanting more.
Speaker 2: There's a world where I do feel like that story is. I like the way that it ended.
Speaker 3: Sometimes, you know, when you don't don't mess up something that's already that's already really great. But then there's like this other part of me that's like, man, we could really we could really dive in on these characters and just like build a whole world around them, And I also think that could be really fun. I don't know, though, I'm not the creator, I'm not the writer. I'm just the actor coming in but of course I have. Of course I have. I'm not saying no. It would be a pleasure to bring Kate back. And doing that show was actually one of like the most fun biggest challenges, going back and forth from three different time timelines every single day was I mean, talk about running from set to hair and makeup to your trailer to change into a new costume. I mean that that felt like Hollywood to me. That was I mean, it was the most wild.
Speaker 1: And it just broke yesterday or two days ago that you're teaming up with your on screen boyfriend from that show, Freud Gutierrez again. That must be pretty cool. That's rare, right to team up with people you've been on.
Speaker 2: Other projects there, Yes, it's so rare.
Speaker 3: I think Froy is so talented and he's also just like such a kind and wonderful human being, and I cannot wait to work with him again.
Speaker 1: That's really cool. That's really cool. I also saw on the TikTok. Look, I think I'm a TikTok expert. Now I know, it's like recently got on because my agent's like get on. So I'm trying to still figure it out. But people want a cloak and Dagger movie. Oh a movie, A movie?
Speaker 3: Rad you're down for it all, I'm down for it all. I'm so proud of that show. I was heartbroken when we weren't coming back for a new season.
Speaker 2: I really loved that show.
Speaker 3: And I think so much of like going back to the transitioning from being you know, a sitcom actor to trying to figure out where you are in your young adult life to figuring out what's next in your career.
Speaker 2: That was that time for me.
Speaker 3: Cloak and Dagger was the time where I it was like my going into college years, like my version of that because I think I was eighteen turning nineteen when we shot the pilot, and then when we got picked up to a series, I turned twenty oh wow, and our second season I turned twenty one. So like that chunk of time I feel like in your life is such a It's such a huge moment because you really are soaking up so much knowledge and trying to figure out who you are and what you like and what you don't like and what you're into and from you know, deep rooted things like inside internally, but also just like a whole like scale of what life can look like for yourself and Cloak and Dagger was that time. So I hold that time in my life and that show in a very deep place in my heart.
Speaker 2: That's why I have a dagger on my I.
Speaker 1: Figured it as soon as you said that. I'm like, Yeah, Cloak and Dagger boaking dagger, that's amazing.
Speaker 2: I'd be down for a movie that sounds fun.
Speaker 1: You're down for it all, like I said, for it all. And music too, is so important to you. I know that was your first love, and is that something you still hope to get into as well a bit more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean music is my first love.
Speaker 3: I've loved to sing ever since I was a little kid, and I feel very grateful that I've gotten so many incredible opportunities to make music over the course of my life. Music is a very sacred thing to me. It feels very feels very personal, and when I start making music again, I want it to feel authentic.
Speaker 2: And I've had to learn.
Speaker 3: Over the last ten years of making music what my voice sounds like, and not only sonically, but also lyrically. And I've worked with some really, really, really extraordinary producers and writers on songs that I've done, and I just I want that next chapter of music to feel the most authentic to me is possible, And I don't know what that quite looks like yet, but I am figuring it out slowly but surely. And I really do want to put out music and let that part of my life be be something meaningful to me instead of just dropping songs that I don't necessarily know if I believe in or love.
Speaker 1: Well, that's when the best magic happens, right when you really full heartily do something for the right reasons, that's when sometimes you reap the biggest rewards from it because there's passion, yeah, which is the most amazing thing. I'm sure you see people all the time comments and they want more music, right boys. Yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: It makes me so happy too that they and that they've sort of stayed on this music journey with me because it sort of has been a long one. But I mean, like, I feel like you're watching so many amazing artists pop off right now, but they've been doing it for so long and it really takes it takes a lot of hard work to get to those places. And I'm so proud of everyone that I've seen now winning Grammys, and it just it really is. It really is an amazing It's a really tough career, so it's amazing to see these people get to where they are now.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, I think Olivia. One thing that I'm so impressed by is you've done so much in what I think is a very short amount of time. And I think sometimes when you're in it, it's hard to remember that because you're kind of on the hamster wheel and you're worried about what's next and what's coming in a very tough business. But are you able to sit back sometimes and reflect on everything that you've achieved and feel like, wow, like I'm doing it. I'm actually making my wildest dreams come true instead of just worrying all the time about what's next.
Speaker 3: It's actually funny that you mentioned this, because I feel like I'm having one of those moments right now.
Speaker 2: I've never had a theatrical release.
Speaker 3: I've never had a movie come out in theaters, and ever since I was a kid, I would go to the movies every single weekend with my family, and the experience of walking up to a theater and seeing a poster of a movie that I'm in is.
Speaker 2: I don't know any other term other than dream come true.
Speaker 3: And it's like I get goosebumps thinking about it, because this really is like one of those moments in my life that I can't rush. I just have to enjoy it and soak it all up. And I was talking to you about how many flights I've been on this week, and it's so easy to just get caught up and like you said, the hamster wheel of the rush and trying to figure out, Okay, well, after this press run is done, like what's next? What am I doing after that thing is done? And I like to take pride in the fact that I am a very present person and I do like to take moments and it's no particular routine or part of my day, but in the moments that I really feel the wash of gratefulness come over me, I like to just take a beat and just yeah, I count my blessings because it really is a challenging career and every job that I go on, I still have pinched me in my dreaming moments because it is my favorite thing to do. And yeah, I think one of those moments is right now in my life.
Speaker 1: I think I remember seeing a picture you posted of you in it theater with the hard Eyes poster kind of crouched down, and that's probably one of those moments.
Speaker 3: The first time I saw it, really yeah, and I was with my It was over the holidays and I was with my parents and it was just my parents and I and we were going to see a movie. And I think I was like looking down at my phone or something walking to the theater and I just hear my mom gasp. She's like and I was like what what what and she was like look, look, and there was the Hard Eyes poster and it and I was like kind of embarrassed to stand in front of it while people were walking by.
Speaker 2: But I also was like, guys, like, this is my movie and it just it is.
Speaker 3: It's like it's one of the most exciting and I don't know if I'll ever have that. I hope that I do, you know. I hope that I have like another opportunity like that.
Speaker 2: So I just got to soak it up.
Speaker 3: I just got to be in the moment and enjoy all of it as it comes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, soak it all in. I think you'll have many other moments exactly like that, especially with this one. I think it will be a franchise it's just so good, and so I would be shocked if it's not a franchise. But you got to soak in every single moment. And as we wrap up, the name of the show is I've never said this before, and it was born from the idea of I work a lot of red carpets. I do a lot of junkets. You're no stranger to them. You get three minutes. If you're lucky on a carpet, you get six minutes with somebody in a junket. And I've always been more drawn to real conversation than just headline based conversation or movie sound bites, you know. And I saw longing from a lot of the people I was talking you to just want to say a little extra, something more, but just not having the time. So I'm wondering, is there something that you can think of that you've never said before that you want to share today?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think actually a lot of what we've been talking about is these really special moments in your.
Speaker 2: Life and.
Speaker 3: How how important they are to you, and how they build character for yourself. And I think it's important to remember that even in some of the happiest and most exciting moments, of your life. Sometimes there can be things happening behind the curtain that aren't as exciting and that are heavier and deeper. And I know that I've experienced that a lot in the course of my career, and I think that it's ok It's okay. I put a lot of pressure on myself to play the part, to play this is so exciting, and this is and it is and it's all of those wonderful things.
Speaker 2: But I also think.
Speaker 3: It's okay to not be okay as well, and to feel those feelings. And some of the happiest moments in my life were also the most depressing moments in my life, and I would.
Speaker 2: Feel really guilty for that.
Speaker 3: And I feel very grateful to have an incredible support system around me who helped me lean into every moment that I feel and make me feel heard and make me feel seen.
Speaker 2: And I think that's something that I.
Speaker 3: Always really struggled with with what you're talking about the three minutes or the six minutes, to try and get out all of the things that you want to say and not actually feeling like you said anything at all. And I have learned to accept that everything that I believe in, everything that I am passionate about everything that I feel, even if I feel too much, that it's okay and that I am enough.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I think that's it.
Speaker 1: I think that's it very well said. I love that last part, I am enough.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So often we forget that, you know.
Speaker 2: I think we do.
Speaker 3: We get caught up in what we think we're supposed to be or I don't know, be trick ourselves. Sometimes we have syndrome. I get that a lot. But yeah, I think to remind myself that I am enough.
Speaker 1: And one last question based off of that, because I think it's so important when I have young artists on like yourself, how do you tune out that noise to focus on you and not let other people dictate who you should or shouldn't be.
Speaker 3: It's a really, really tricky thing to do. I've learned to really lean into shifting my perspective and lean on to the things that bring me joy and that make me feel confident, because I think it's so easy to doom scroll and to compare yourself to so many people that you see on the internet, so easy to fall into that trap.
Speaker 2: I do it very often.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I'll catch myself doing it and I'll throw my phone across the room. But to remind yourself of the things that make you feel good and make you feel beautiful and make you feel confident, and that also can be a very hard thing to do. But sometimes I repeat it in my head, like the things that I like about myself until I start believing it, and that can sometimes be helpful. I feel like everyone has like a little different trick to what helps them, but I think that's something that really helps me. Well.
Speaker 1: I kind of love that more. I couldn't adore you more. Mason was right, because like, you're gonna have so much fun with her. She's the best, and I just I think everything you've built in your career you should be so proud of. This movie is fantastic. I predict it will be a huge success. Everybody, go out and see Heart Eyes. It is out now, and congratulations, I hope you come back.
Speaker 2: Thank you me too, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: It's just so nice.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I've never said this before. Is hosted by Me Tommy Diderio. This podcast is executive produced by Andrew Publisi at iHeartRadio and by Me Tommy, with editing by Joshua Colaudney I've never said this before is part of the Elvis Duran podcast Network on iHeart Podcasts for more, rate, review and subscribe to our show and if you liked this episode, tell your friends. Until next time, I'm Tommy Didario