Speaker 1: So how are you moving into different markets, Like what are some challenges with that. You started where you're from, but now you're going to Texas and you going to you say they moved to Atlanta and different things like and then you're doing different different product types as well. Yeah, we talk about navigating that.
Speaker 2: So relationships, man, it's it's it's everything. I think when I was coming up in Milwaukee, one of the things that I did was just build those relationships off network, and I was at every event. You couldn't miss me. I literally you could not miss me. I was everywhere. Uh So I took that same model, but now I'm doing it on the national scale. Everything in DC real estate based events, I'm there. I'm not there as much now because I've been you know, headed down, but I'm in those Atlanta based events, I'm in that, Houston based events, I'm in those you know, Birmingham based events, I'm in that. So I look for the macro economic trends that I liked population growth. I really like red states and blue cities because it allows for flexibility and getting out tennis that may not pay right. I'm not saying you're vic folks, that's not what I'm here for but at the same time, places like Atlanta.
Speaker 3: Atlanta is in as bad Atlanta's d C. Let's use DC. For example.
Speaker 1: You said red state and blue city.
Speaker 3: Yes, those are places like Atlanta.
Speaker 1: I likes.
Speaker 2: Georgia's Birmingham all blue states, red city. I mean, I mean traditionally george is not a blue state though it No, no, no, I mean blue Citi's Red states. I may have said it the wrong.
Speaker 1: What Birmingham would be, Yeah, yeah, for sure, New Orleans, Yes, stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I really like blue states, red cities. Sorry, blue cities, red states because the higher level laws allow for more flexibility, like a place like DC, for example, there were people that literally d C prior to the pandemic. You can go rent an apartment, never pay your rent, and you don't have to get out for at least seven months because that's all on the process stakes. Like I know people that lived in the building that I lived in that literally leased it and didn't pay rent. They just leased it out every summer so they can enjoy the rooftop and they just burn up different people's things like okay, your name this year, were all gonna live there.
Speaker 3: Your name this year? We're all gonna live there.
Speaker 1: Are there any Are there any major cities that are run by Republicans? I don't think so. Right most every major city run by Democrats. Think about it.
Speaker 3: That's a good Chicago, LA.
Speaker 1: Miami's a Democrat, the mayor's a Democrat. I don't think there's any major city that that's interesting. I just thought about that. No, no major city has demo, has Republican control, even even if it's in the Republican l A. Yeah, San Francisco, San Francisco saying yeah, Philly, yeah, and you know, Pennsylvana's back and forth.
Speaker 3: But those those cities, those states.
Speaker 2: That have those very like strings and laws, like a DC for example, I'm not the most fond of. Right, Like during the pandemic, there are people that literally lived for over a year just because of the system. And it's like you're not paying any rent. As a landowner that has thousands of units, I don't want thousands of units in the place that I can't get people exploiting this system. Out in Wisconsin, you get somebody thirty days, all right, boom, you go through the process. Atlanta even quicker than that. And I'm not saying we should exploit it either. But from a business perspective, it doesn't make sense for me to be in a place where X amount of people that pay rent, especially as I'm a rising Like when I get bigger, of course, maybe I could deal with some of that drop, but right now now I'm focused on cities where it makes sense financially.
Speaker 4: So you moved throughout the cities. I know the HUT is involved in the Birmingham situation. There was three hundred and seventy million allocated for the developments. Is it a situation where you can now again go back to hood and do the same type of oppose in a different city.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: So, I'm a finalist for three cities right now.
Speaker 4: I knew it, man, I knew.
Speaker 2: I'm a finalist for three cities right now. I got a call yesterday about one. We'll talk about the cities offline.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the strategy and the game plan there is, if let's say once a year, once every other year, I can pick up one of these. Birmingham will be further along now I'm starting that and if each one is kicking out a thousand plus units, you get three four cities.
Speaker 3: I mean by the time I'm thirty four.
Speaker 2: Now by the time I'm forty two forty three, I have thousands of units under my belt that I've developed and really just starting to enter my prime.
Speaker 4: On your financial map, does a percentage change with the amount of units? Right when you started at the one forty, you had your percentage that was put in. Now you're doing eleven hundred, but you have partners.
Speaker 3: Yes, great question, Yes it did change.
Speaker 2: So each city that you go into their housing authority that you So all of these are public housing redevelopment. So think to Brittany Greens, think Marcie Projects, et cetera. We're taking the projects and creating mixed income communities because if you think about the projects that were low density, so it's thirty acres of land with three hundred units on it, that's saying thirty acres could do three thousand if you really wanted to, right, But you don't want to. You don't want to go that dence. But that's just an example of what you are going after. So, because the housing authorities typically own those lands, whoever is at the housing authority, they kind of dictate the negotiation of like the housing authority and developer in those terms the housing authority gets x percentage and then the developers gets why percentage, And right now Integrow and I are splitting that percentage. But it's very favorable, like it's pretty close to where it should be. And the way we work they come. I'm driving, but they're they're every step of away in the passenger seat. So I'm able to learn from it in their experience. They've developed, built and manage over ten thousand plus units. They've been doing this, they created the model. I'm learning from them, but I'm driving the ship at the same time. So yes, I have to share in the economics. But you know, three four hundred million dollar deals a pop. I don't mind sharing. We can figure it out. So talk about access to capital. That's something that you know, don people a lot of people haven't talked about. What is your thoughts on access to capital as far as on the real estate development side and what's your personal experience is trying to get access to capital the money on this commercial real estate side. Like I said, the money is gonna be there if you got to deal to work, the money's gonna flow at the end of the day. Now, the terms for the money talked about before that's where it gets a little tricky. I'll say in a way of George Floyd. There was an eighteen month period maybe even a little I mean, it's still kind of there, but it's scaling back where they were throwing money at black developers.
Speaker 1: Who moves stolen money like Blackrock.
Speaker 3: Uh No, that's a great question. So like the paypals of the world.
Speaker 2: When they was giving out all of the like oh, I want to invest in black communities, primarily went to CDFI's Community Development Financial Institution that we talked about last time. There's some national cd offis that governed some of those funds and they've been able to kind.
Speaker 3: Of distill those funds to us.
Speaker 2: So like Enterprise Community Partners that my equity investors on the Madison deal, they have a program called Equitable Path Forward. Their CEO just took over Fanny May. So that's the scale of like how big these CDFIs are now. They're one of their presidents, Lrie Chapman. She created this program based upon all of that money that was coming in from the corporations that were trying to give to black dollars.
Speaker 3: And this program is specifically created to be able to.
Speaker 2: They have to credit for us from an operational business perspective, they have pre development loans so you can go out each one of these deals, you need at least a half a million, anywhere from a half a million to a million before you close. You get it all back when you finish, but you need that before you close. So when you talk about like capacity, that's one of the things too. If you have five of these deals going on at one time, you're gonna need too and a half to five million dollars worth of capital just to deploy to that, not even talking about your operations and nothing like that. So they have programs that are allowing for developers to be able to tap into those type of money that helps us grow in scale. But the flip side of it is that's all to you know, kind of feel good money that's gonna flip. But to don People's point, black people don't manage big pension funds at all, right, I've heard him talk about it on y'all's platform. At the end of the day, we're less than one percent of all of the management, Black brown women, less than one percent of all assets managed. But if in New York, for example, with black brown and women. It is over fifty percent of what's going into that pension fund. Why is it less than one percent of us managing or having access to manage those funds. What is the governance around that to say, oh, you are not capable enough to do that. That's still a really big challenge to be able to even go from someone like myself that's a developer that's established, to get into funded management and be able to allocate to either my developments or other developers in the same way as some of these traditional majority firms are doing with no problem. So that's really a challenge that I think needs to be addressed, and I'm doing my job to do it. So Reinvestors a platform that I'm creating now. It's a crowdfunding platform that democratizes commercial real esset investment. My mother can invest, your parents can invest unless they are accredited. Historically, but you've seen crowdfundings start to grow in the real estate space a little bit. So I'm doing a regulation a plus we can raise up to seventy five million. I'm gonna put a portfolio of deals together and have people invest in that and back by the best of the best in the country that are doing it so it's secure by those funds, I mean buy those firms, and we underwrite the deals, we co invest in the deals. It's a it's not like investing in a company. It's not like investing in a onesie deal. Like we are, you know, putting together sophistication in a way that the marketplace has not seen. So that's one of the ways that I'm addressing that access to capital challenge for emerging developers that are like me and coming up behind me too.