Speaker 1: Welcome into the Official Jets Podcast.
Speaker 2: I Eat, Breathe, and sleep the New York Jets my team.
Speaker 3: He knows what it means to wear the green and white.
Speaker 2: That is a tightrope walk across Niagara Fall. That's hard to do.
Speaker 4: The Official Jets Podcast is presented by Kendra Scott, the jewelry company that's shining bright and doing good shop game Day Ready, jewelry styles and so much more at Kendra Scott dot com.
Speaker 1: Always great to see a big time friend here of the New York Jets.
Speaker 2: That's Mike tan Obauma.
Speaker 1: Of course, Mike, you just taped something here at Indianapolis at the NFL Combine, a GM Roundtable. Can you talk about the genesis of that and when that production is actually going to air?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I appreciate that. Eric.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So we did a GM round table, John Schneider, Jason Light and it was just the idea of the piece was to take the fans behind the curtain of what's it actually like to be a jim, what does it like to make decisions, what's it like to get between you know, the head coach and the owner and say, hey, we got you know, a challenge here, a bump of the road, what are we going to do? And two Super Bowl winning gms. They were great, great stories. Touch on the Brett Favre trade, Yeah, yeah. John Schneider was a big part of the Green Bay Packer front office when I was with the Jets, and we trade for far so we went a little bit deep on that. We made Jason like the commissioner of the NFL had a great conversation. So NFL Live Tomorrow and other ESPN digital platforms.
Speaker 2: All right, cool.
Speaker 1: So but for Jets fans, yeah, can we go back in history to the trade.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 1: Okay, so take me through because it's the summer, take me through those conversations inside the building and then also ultimately what led to the deal.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a lot of head coaches, Brian Daball, Brian Schottenheimer, Eric Mangini, we kind of all felt like, hey, Chad Paynton was a really good quarterback and we were trying to beat Tom Brady and the Patriots at the time, and felt like, wow, nothing against Chap, but if we could go get Brett Favre, let's go try to get him and what he Johnson was totally on board and we were battling hard you know, initially, I think Brett Favre wanted to go to other places. I think it's well documented in Minnesota, Tampa Bay. He had played for John Gruden at Green Bay, who is now the head coach of Tampa Bay. We had to compete against that. So and then there was always once we made the trade Eric, there was a big question like, well he actually come.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So at the time Dave Zott was the player development guy. We went down and I said, look, you know, Dave, like Brett's coming back because we had to cut Chad Paint in the stand of the cap. Whether he's coming voluntarily or involuntarily, I don't know that, but he's coming.
Speaker 1: What were those twenty four hours like for you? Because I remember jumping on conference calls late that night where you were addressing the media. I probably went into the wee hours of the morning, and then following night Jets had a preseason game in Cleveland against the Brons.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's exactly right. So I actually I didn't sleep. I went home and basically changed clothes and then went to the airport to go get them. So we did do a media call, like it was very late at night. Good memory and Eric, Me and Jeanie actually had a cut Chad in Cleveland because they were there for the preseason game. I had stayed behind because I knew what was going on, and I just felt like it was we had a better chance to execute this trade if I was back.
Speaker 3: At the office.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I remember people saying, Mike t that you didn't get on the bus.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, and uh yeah, And that's kind of how it all happened.
Speaker 1: So what about that roster at that point, because you make the trade for Farv And that team started eight and three, including a thumping of the Tennessee Titans in Nashville.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and Jeff Fishery jumped out of a plane before the game. They were undefeated, and I pissed everybody off, like he's jumping out of the plane, He's not taking it seriously. And the Vernious Coals and the Daban Woodies of the world, they were pissed.
Speaker 3: They were really mad.
Speaker 5: We had a good team, and they were really disrespected that the opposing head coach would jump out of a plane before the game and not take it seriously.
Speaker 3: And we waxed them.
Speaker 5: And I was one of those games where people were like afterwards in the locker. I still remember that they were like, who is.
Speaker 3: He to do that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Do you ever wonder what would have happened with the eight team had not far it heard some physical injuries down the stretch.
Speaker 5: It was interesting when you ask guys like Damian Woody or Lavernius Coals and Potato like they'll they'll tell you that, you know, the team and O nine may have gone to the championship game, but the eight team was actually better. And sometimes that happens in football. That's what makes it, you know, a great sport. You know, on paper, you know when team certainly had more accomplishments, but uh, those guys would tell you like, maybe that team and in O Waight was actually better.
Speaker 1: Why was Rex the right guy for you in O nine? As he made the switch for Mangeni. But he comes in and you talk about his approach from day one when he walked into the building.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think you know, Woodie Johnson, myself, Scott Cohen, I think what we saw was a guy that was going to come in.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: It was a little bit of a two for one Eric. So Brian Schottenheimer was the offensive coordinator. We felt good about Brian and keep him and that offensive structure in place with a lot of really good coaches, and then have Rex kind of come in and for lack of a better maybe like rejuvenate the defense, give it a little bit more of a newer look, a pressure look, and we felt like it was a two for one, and you know Rex came in and Rex's Rex, like yeah, unabashably confident, a lot of energy, and it just worked right. It was the right time with the right coach, with the right roster. We had a couple you know, really really fun years.
Speaker 1: Did the organization need that kind of voice at that time?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just think, like again, like give a lot of credit to Scott Cohen, what do I think? We just kind of felt like, yeah, this is the guy.
Speaker 3: Like it was.
Speaker 5: Pretty clear, you know, ironically one of the other finalists for the job with Steve Spagnola, who's obviously got on to do terrific things. I mean, you think about all the great coaches we were around from day ball and Shoddy and obviously Rex bags, Like, you know, there were some really talented coaches.
Speaker 1: What stands out more when you look back when people say, hey, Mike t O nine twenty ten each of them very different, unique in their own right.
Speaker 2: As far as the runs are concerned.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think a couple of things stand out. I thought Rex's ability to make every player feel like they mattered, like a story I like to tell, like a mad Carol Batman, he was a first round pick with the Green Bay Packers at.
Speaker 3: Corner University of Arkansas. Didn't work out.
Speaker 5: He came in and I'll never forget this, you know, Rex says to him, Hey, like, what do you like to do? I like the blitz? And so his nickname was Batman, so we put it into Batman Blitz.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: I don't know how many times we use the Batman blitz in a game. But you talk about getting more out of a guy like who's totally vested in that's just like a little story. But like to have that relatability with players is so.
Speaker 1: Important, magical in terms of winning four road playoff games over the course of two seasons. Do you ever Pittsburgh that championship game? Do you think about that one more than Indianapolis?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I do, And I got to get over at some point, but you know, I look and he was a good player, so don't get but like we're off the field on the first drive of the game, and like fifty yards away they call Antonio Cormarti for like hands to the face and then they want up scoring on that drive.
Speaker 3: And I think.
Speaker 5: Myself, like, if nothing else in the universe ever changes, but that one call, I actually think we win the game because I think the whole game changes. You know, they're off the field, we stop them. But look, it was you know great. More than anything. This is a relationship business. Sure, Just proud of the relationships that I had with them, with a lot of those players and coaches and staff to this day.
Speaker 1: All right, Jets fans want to get back to the postseason desperately. You know that you mentioned, you know, getting back in relationships, So let's start their transitions. Bill Parcells, how much of an influence has he had on your career?
Speaker 3: A ton?
Speaker 5: He probably a lot more about life, you know, than than than anything else. And tell a quick story. So you know, I'm very fortunate to be on ESPN. And ironically, going back a couple of years ago, Aaron Rodgers is with the Packers and it's clear like he wants out and we're on air, and you know, the first hour for whatever reason. That day I was a little bit more pro player, saying, like, you know, Greenie, if he doesn't want to be a packer, they.
Speaker 3: Should just let him move on.
Speaker 5: And you know, for whatever reason, I just kind of like that day was like definitely leaning towards more like the player side of the situation.
Speaker 3: And between the eight and nine we had a little bit of a break.
Speaker 5: So I'm checking my phone and it's a text on coach of ourselves, like, don't ever tell anybody who work for me. It's embarrassing. What does a contract actually mean? So the producer gets in my ear and says, hey, the A block of the nine o'clock hour is going to be the same as the A block of the eight o'clock hour. Your answers were great to say, you know, run it back. So Greeney comes to me. He's like, so, Mike Wi, should you know the Green Bay Packers do with our And I'm like, you know, Greene contracts a contract. I mean, you know, if he doesn't want to be there, they should find him, they should suspend him. And I was like I had a gut, like a pit in my stomach, like I still work for the guy. It's been twenty plus years, and he's just such a special guy. You know, I see him pretty regularly now and we talk about life and politics and religion and racial matters, and he has so much wisdom about our country. You know, sometimes like football doesn't even come up.
Speaker 2: Is he the best program builder in the history of this league?
Speaker 5: You know, certainly he's up the you know, look, I'm really fortunate. You know, I got a chance to work for coach Belichick too, who's in that conversation with Bill Walsh, Like those guys are amongst the best of all time. And to take you know, four different teams to the playoffs, is you know, something that no one else has ever done.
Speaker 1: All Right, So he had such a huge influence on Aaron Glenn as well. Let's go back to AG's playing career. He started in ninety four with the Jets, and of course you were there we view Bank call Hofstra.
Speaker 2: What was Aaron like as a player?
Speaker 5: A lot of the same attributes you've seen now. Look he's been on the job now for ten minutes. I get like it's not been that long, but the same attributes you're seeing, Like someone that's very like serious minded, very focused, very driven, does not suffer fool as well. A kind compassionate person, but who's very, very competitive.
Speaker 1: You're not going to tell us too much what happened behind those closed doors. But what was he like during the interviews this time around?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, Eric, it's what you see is what you get, Like, it's really not a mystery. Like he's you know, gotten the most out of players at you know, a few different stops.
Speaker 3: He's paid his dues.
Speaker 5: You go back to twenty twelve when he started with the Jets as a scout and just worked his way up and grind it. So he's a rare, rare guy, you know. And I know how hard he worked at scouting. I know how hard he's worked at coaching. He paid his dues. You know, sometimes you see people not work out because they've gone from you know, a position coach to a head coach. Like he's done it the right way and he's had success at every stop.
Speaker 1: Exhausted searches that land the Jets. Aaron Glenn and Darren Mougi. What was it like working with the guys this time around? You know, Woody Johnson for a long time, you've worked with them before. Obviously you're a member, a founder of the thirty third team, and you were working with Rix s Pielman as well in support of the search.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and Christopher Johnson and Jimi el High team president. Like it was it was I tell you, like, it's kind of it's gonna sound like weird to say this, Like there was a little part of me. It was like I was almost sad when it was over because it was so much fun. Yeah, and I learned so much. It was an unbelievable experience. I mean, we talked to so many people and just to learn from so many disparate you know, approaches and backgrounds and just it was awesome. Like, I really enjoyed it. It was long, it was detailed a lot of hours, but it was a great group of people that I think, you know, if you would ask, you know, Woody or Christopher High, me Rick, Like, I think we just kind of enjoyed being around one another. It was it was a like I said, it was a really fun process.
Speaker 1: How unique is Age's journey When you're talking about a guy who played here first round pick in ninety four coming out of Texas and place fifteen seasons in the National Football League, you hire them as a scout two thousand and twelve. He works a couple of years on the pro side and the college scout inside, and then works his way up as an assistant assistant coach, starting off with the Cleveland Browns, of course, working with Sean Payton and New Orleans, and then finally working as a defensive coordinator under Dan Campbell Detroit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he, like I said, he's earned it all. Like you know, there's no part of him that doesn't deserve this, you know, opportunity again. And that's not to say, like you know, there won't be bumps in the road along the way, Eric, but like he he has been around a lot of disparate guys from Sean Dan coach parcels like and knowing Aaron, He'll take all of those and he'll be his own guy. Like he's very comfortable in his own skin. He'll have the hard conversations like all those things are you know, really important.
Speaker 3: And I think it's kind of cool.
Speaker 5: There's now five current NFL hit coaches that played for the team that they're now coaching from. Coach Harbaugh in uh Los Angeles with the Chargers Dan Campbell, as we mentioned in Detroit, Domingo, Ryans Houston, and Mike Rable in New England.
Speaker 1: That's a great stat you're starting out there. That's your ESPN knowledge, you're analysis coming up here. So let's talk about Darren Muci. I don't think a lot of Jets fans knew about Mooge at the beginning of this process, but now he's been on the job here over a month. Well, what stood out to you guys about Darren during this whole thing?
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was like very thorough, he was thoughtful. He certainly had a plan, you know, he had I know people will say, like he's young, but he's had a lot of experience in different roles, and when there's ownership changes or leadership changes and someone gets more responsibility, that's typically a pretty good indicy of someone that's you know, very talented, very well thought of and again, like similar to ag like he's checked a lot of the boxes and he's earned this right.
Speaker 1: As a first time GM, which you were, you have that experience. Well, what are going to be some of the eye opening things for Darren in this role?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Well, I would say to NFL Live Tomorrow and ESPN because we talk a lot about the first question actually in the roundtable is what do you know today that you wish you know on the first day of the job. And we kind of had to laugh about like, you know, you manage generally, that's what a GM does, but you know it just look, I was lucky. I was the assistant GM for five years of the New York Jets before I became the GM, and when I got the position, I was lucky enough to get the position. I had no idea what I was getting to and it could be, Hey, this person wants a new title, this person feels like they're underpaid. You know, this person is going through like a personal situation, this player's just changed agents, whatever it could be. And it's like, oh my gosh, Like I thought we were like, you know, watching film or you know, trying sad like and some of your most productive days you're not even behind your desk.
Speaker 1: How important is that relationship between GM and high coaching. What have you seen in the early stages from Aaron and Darren that you're encouraged by.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think there's like mutual respect and good communication. And you know, on this round table, I said, look, at the end of the day, like I it's such a hard and complicated job. Like if I was shoulder shoulder with the head coach and owner, I didn't care about the rest. I could handle the age and I could handle the media. But it was those two people that were critical to have alignment with.
Speaker 2: So we're coming full circle.
Speaker 1: We started off this conversation talking about your trade for Brett Favre as GM and the New York Jets. What does this leadership team have in front of them at the quarterback position?
Speaker 2: Right now? We know Tyra Taylor in the building.
Speaker 1: You got a couple of young passers as well, Jordan Travis was on a FI last year.
Speaker 2: Agri and Martinez in house.
Speaker 1: But we're a couple of days now away from free agency and then that will be followed by the draft.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a great opportunity, you know, And I think that's like in a perfect world, how things work. You reset with a in this case, head coach GM, and obviously hopefully the quarterback you know, follows, you know, quickly behind, and you know, sometimes you can get all done year one, sometimes you can't. But I can totally understand, you know, why they made the decision they made.
Speaker 1: But Moji, did you like what you hear from him as far as a decision maker is concerned, when he says at number seven, I'm open to moving up, I'm open to move him back.
Speaker 2: Because he's going to keep all options open.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, yeah, No, he's running the right play about one hundred percent. And look we're sitting here. It's the end of February. Free agency is still several weeks away, the drafts a couple of months away. So absolutely you got to get all the information that make the best decision possible.
Speaker 1: What's the first steps for this team in terms of with the new regime, once you get these guys on the field, in terms of setting third tone, the way they want to run things.
Speaker 5: Yo, go back to the beginning with Coach Parcels. I remember, you know, first being like I'm in there. It's nineteen ninety seven and he's just talking about, Hey, we're gonna have less injuries this year. The ninety six Jets had too many injuries and they won one game seven, we won nine ninety eight. We were in the championship game, and Coach Parcels, if he was sitting right here, we talked about it was the off season program being more conditioned and whatever the record is, Like, I would expect this team to be really well coached, and you'll you look at conditioning, you look at penalties, you look at end of game situations, and I have tremendous confidence that Aaron.
Speaker 3: Will do a great job with all that.
Speaker 5: And I think all the indices to say, like, wow, is this team being coached, Well, we'll be there.
Speaker 1: What about Aaron's And you were part of this as well, but you guys sign on Vinnie Tester Verdie. I think he was thirty five years old in ninety eight, and people on the outside probably started that sceneson saying, you, guys, don't have an answer a quarterback. Glenn fully started on that season, but then Vinnie went on a magical run. So I think there is a rush for people and fans to say you have to have the answer a quarterback right now. Where ultimately this is going to develop.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, that's exactly right, and things will happen like we've already seen is like it's Matt Stafford available, Like there's just a lot of uncertainty and we'll see what the draft brings too. You know, last year there were six quarterbacks in the top twelve. I doubt we'll see that this year, but you know, maybe there's more quarterbacks that go earlier than you know, people expect so early.
Speaker 1: Thoughts on this twenty twenty five draft class overall, you would boots on the ground and mobile you're here in Indianapolis. Just as far as maybe position groups that are more talented than the russ Yeah.
Speaker 5: I would start, you know, at the running back position. It's historically great, you know, like I think, I mean, we're obviously you start with Ashton genty, but you know from there, like you know, Hampton from North Carolina. I'm a big Campskaboo fan out of Arizona State. There's probably like ten to twelve guys. I think we'll play meaningful snaps. I think d line is also very similar, led by obviously Abdul Carter out of Penn State. But I see another ten to twelve defensive lineman going early, probably in the first you know, fifty sixty picks.
Speaker 1: Lad made his case today in Indianapolis to be the number one overall selection. Your thoughts if you're a team there, if you because the Jets aren't there right now at seven unless they move up to one, and we'll let's see what happens. It's probably I would imagine there's a lot of small percentage of that happening. But if you're Tennessee and people say, hey, maybe they would look to upgrade the quarterback position, you're staring at cam Ward, but then you're also staring at a guy like Abduall Carter who could be a potential game wrecker in the defensive side of the ball.
Speaker 2: Can you weigh that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean you have to factor all those things. And if you're Tennessee, you want to have your roster set to the extent you can so you can have flexibility. And obviously you know their decision in parts going to wait in what's you know, Brian Callahan and Mike Borganzhi's evaluation on Will Levis and that will factor in, you know, quite a bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a final thought, I just wanted to get your analysis on the quarterback class here this year because we mentioned cam Ward, but Anders, Jackson, Dart.
Speaker 2: And well you could continue to name the names.
Speaker 1: We're not going to see six quarterbacks taken in the first twelve overall selections, but do you like maybe potentially some developmental prospects down the line, you.
Speaker 5: Know, I do like Shug from Louisville, like very interesting guy. Started off, he was, of all things, justin Herbert's backup at Oregon, goes to Texas Tech, dealt with some injuries long way. I thought he was very good in mobile, talking about the Senior Bowl. Anxious to see what he does here. He's just one of you know a few others. Riley Leonard, who was a basketball player until his junior in high school, quarterback that start off at Duke, did really well, transfer to Notre Dame, did some things in mobile that were encouraging and things that he's still gonna have to work on. But you know, a big, long, good looking athlete. Jalen Milroe, another guy that flashed in mobile. So there's some guys that will be you know, developmental that you know will be interesting to follow.
Speaker 2: Enjoyed it as always.
Speaker 1: I know you're going to keep a keen eye on North Carolina next year.
Speaker 2: Can you talk about the football program and their.
Speaker 5: Latest our son, Jacob's gonna be a long snapper for them, and it's a position that he's earned and their remarkable job. And yeah, I didn't think that Mike Son would be playing for coach bellchecking Kyle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who would have thought that back in the day when you guys were walking the halls at the Weaview Bank and now your son is playing for Bill Beljicks.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 3: It is crazy.
Speaker 2: Hey, hey man, great, see you.
Speaker 3: All right, Thanks so much.
Speaker 4: The Official Jets Podcast is presented by Kendra Scott, the jewelry company that's shining bright and doing good shop game Day Ready, jewelry styles and so much more at kendrascott dot com.
Speaker 2: What's this week like for you? With free agency on the horizon?
Speaker 1: Everybody here including agents, all thirty two teams represented, and then you got hundreds of prospects here and the drafts right around the corner.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's uh, we're jugglingmultiple things and we're starting to gather information for the Draft. It's like, you know, it starts actually at the Senior Bowl when we're down there and just kind of like one eye on the prospects because that's three steps.
Speaker 2: Down the road and we've got free agency.
Speaker 6: In the meantime, we've got trades that could potentially happen, guys that.
Speaker 2: Are going to be released.
Speaker 6: It's it's you leave here and you go I can't believe I didn't get a chance to talk to X. Your list you go in, I've I've gone in and I've made lists and say I've got to these are the people I have to see, and I never complete the list because it's just it's it's too many people here trying to conduct their business, get their stuff done. But that's a good thing, right, It's it means it's a game that everybody's interested in. The off season is as entertaining as the regular season, sometimes in a different way, obviously, but it keeps it keeps everybody engaged.
Speaker 2: Three sixty five.
Speaker 1: Jets again busy this offseason. Have a new leadership team, Aaron g Darren Mugi. What are people around the lead saying about the fires?
Speaker 6: A lot of respect for for Darren Moogie and what he's done and what he was able to do in Denver in numerous roles, right and also being part of regime changes there, so seeing how things multiple times, seeing how the table was reset, what worked, what didn't work. And I know that he came in and really did a good job of communicating what his plan was going to be, more so than a lot of other guys that they interviewed, and a clear vision for what he wanted to do. That's the best thing. I mean, it's never you've got a clear vision. It may not work, but you want you want somebody who comes in has a planet and be able to execute and you go, Okay, that guy had a plan. So I know that there's a lot of respect for what he was able to do. As for Aaron Glenn, the way that they really established a culture in Detroit has really impressed people. And and and the way that he has progressed from a former player into his coaching career, a smooth transition. A guy who was h a really good coordinator and a great motivator too. I mean, that's to me, we focus way too much on here's a guy as a coordinator, that's gonna make him a good hit.
Speaker 2: That's not it.
Speaker 6: It's not necessarily that, certainly from an extent, it's who can run the operation. And they did a great job of it in Detroit, and feel like he learned a lot and is able to set it up for the Jets for what he wants to do.
Speaker 2: How much is his voice?
Speaker 1: AG's gonna resonate throughout the building and inside the lockow.
Speaker 6: It's gonna be huge, there's no doubt about it. And you saw his interactions with the media. Listen from the beginning, from the beginning of the search, before the search, actually, who can handle the New York market was going to be a big part of this whole thing, and his name was the name that came to the forefront first and foremost because they knew a guy that already had experience in this market and his so strong will that you see in his interactions with the media, the way that he's able to handle those things, that's how it's going to be internally. And you know, he already had the Quinn Williams thing with the tweet that was taken down and uh, showing already that he can handle that and and make it clear like we're we're going to be uh stronger from the inside now as an organization, uh and and and work together here and make sure that uh the strength is inside that locker room and inside the building. He's already establishing that, I believe quarterback position.
Speaker 1: Jets announced that they're gonna part ways from Aaron Rodgers. He's still on the roster. We'll have to find out what that ultimately looks like. If it is a juvene one designation. You got Tyrod Taylor in the house, you got a couple of young passers. Do you anticipate the Jets addressing the quarterback position in free agency and draft.
Speaker 6: Uh in free in both? Yeah, Well I think yeah, or and or. The problem could Yeah. The problem is there's a lot of teams that are trying to do that. And I've heard that from multiple gms, uh talking about how different avenues can get you to the answer. They've cited, you know, back when the Seahawks difford multiple gms cite this this offseason. For some reason, everybody remembers twenty ten now where the Seahawks traded for Charlie Whitehurst and the next year they signed Matt Flanlin and they drafted Russell Wilson and in the end they said, we're just gonna go with the guy that we think and Russell was the best option for them, so they went with him, and it turned out to be the right decision, obviously. So if everybody's doing that, there aren't enough guys to fill.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 6: So somebody's gonna say, well, we really want to go after free free agent, and there's that cluster of free agents, whether it's I mean, I include Matthew Stafford from a trade standpoint, whether it's Stafford, Darnold, you know, Derek Carr might be free, Aaron Rodgers, you know, all these guys, and they might have that idea of but we're gonna get one of those guys. Well, if eight teams are going for five guys, then the other three then it's gonna have to be whether it's Wilson or whether it's Jacobe Prissett or one of those guys. I think then you're into a realm of player that Tyrod Taylor fits. You've already got that, you know what I mean. So if you go after that first tier, that's right, and everybody else so you stick with Tyron Taylor, which I think is a good option.
Speaker 2: Would be we counted this the other day.
Speaker 6: I think it's the fourth time he would be a bridge quarterback potentially, And I don't mean that to demean him. I think it's actually a compliment to him, the fact that he's been trusted with that role before. To get yourself to a young quarterback, whether it's not even this year, it could be you know, you draft a quarterback in the second third, fourth round, it doesn't pan out, that's okay. That's much better than taking a swing in the top ten and it doesn't work out, because then you can come back next year and say, well, we took a shot later on, but now we're really.
Speaker 2: Going to take a bigger spike, a good transition, good segue. Jets at seven. Yeah. Do you anticipate them not being in the quarterback business early in the draft? Do I anticipate them not being in the guest?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I do, because I don't think that this is the draft where you're going to force that, yep. And there's not a lot of cam Ward seems to be the guy that is the consensus number one, and most people think, well that's a guy, right, whereas Shidor Sanders's Eyety the beholder. You're seeing evaluations for him all over the board. You know, Jackson Dart's going to be in the conversation Quinn you were might get himself in there as well. But those guys are not being looked at as you know, top ten take them now type guys.
Speaker 2: So my anticipation is that they stay put and now.
Speaker 6: They're looking at some value elsewhere, whether it's the tight end from Penn State or some of these guys.
Speaker 2: Tyler Warren that Tyler Warren Warren, Yeah.
Speaker 6: Who who really is being talked about as a complete prospect in a way that and I don't know that he makes the seven by the way. I'm so we'll see how that goes. But you know there's talent that you had, certainly in the top temperature.
Speaker 1: Interesting offseason ahead for these guys, Glenn and Mugi, starting with free agency, because the Jets several needs. You go back in the defensive backfield and stay safety. You can say, opposite saus Gardner, who's going to be playing cornerback because DJ tjer Rady has got an expiring contract. Brandon Nichols his backup as an inspiring contract. Jamie Sherwood a team MVP last year at the linebacker position.
Speaker 2: He's on a restricted free agent.
Speaker 1: You have a couple of defensive tackles that aren't restricted who played next to Quinn and Williams. And then the offensive side of the Paul we talked about quarterback tight on Tyler Conklin. He look at Moses, Yeah, said more Moses as well, So he's gonna have interest. By the way, this is so how do you assess that when when we when we just start discussing top of the line, their free agents and their needs, how do you assess their priorities?
Speaker 6: It's well, you tell me who they're retaining, right, because it's not even their guys that they drafted.
Speaker 2: It's a completely different receipt, right.
Speaker 6: So a lot of a lot of times you could fall in love with a Sherwood and say, Okay, these guys.
Speaker 2: This guy's been with us, uh the last.
Speaker 6: Couple of years, and he's really become an integral piece and deserves that to be thrown into the mix there as a starter. And I think he's gonna have a lot of interest as well. And you're seeing what Zach Bond meant to the Eagles, by the way, so all of a sudden, the off the ball linebacker kind of like the running back becoming in vogue again a little bit with some teams. So uh yeah, I think the the cornerback position certainly is important for a for a coach who was a cornerback, the player is a defensive minded guy, so I'd say that that's a priority. And even if they bring back even if they bring back DJ Reid, you know, add another one. You know you need you need three, you need four and uh, Detroit certainly did a good job of that with their personnel to make sure that they were stacked at that position, had a stable of guys as well. So I think I think cornerback is certainly a priority for them. You know, defensive tackle is gonna be tough because these guys are gonna get paid. There's gonna be the haves and the have nots. Though at defensive tackle position, you're gonna see guys like Milton Williams make a ton of money. Oh so I think hezilla are gonna make a ton of money. I don't think you have to go certainly there. If you've got Quinn and Williams sense it's so deep in the draft, right, exactly right, exactly right. So I think I think you're gonna have the guys take the big swings. Then there's gonna be a huge drop off. They'll be guys Sheldon Rankins, the former jet is gonna be is already available. Excuse me, So I think he'll make some money. You'll have some guys in that realm. But yeah, I don't think you have to go that route. If you certainly got a dominic guy like Quinn. I don't think you have to make that necessarily a priority to go big in free agency.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's something that I think is flying under the radar. By the way, you mentioned Conklin. Apparently he's got some interest around the league as well.
Speaker 1: Too, interesting, because the other thing that these guys have to do is assess the roster because maybe the old regime thought differently as some of these guys, and then you have new coordinators across the board. Anything catch your eye there as far as Glenn's hires, respectively, when you're speaking about Tanner Angstron who came over from Detroit, passing game coordinator, Steve Wilkes, experienced guy who's done everything in the National Football League, like Chris Banjo who played under Glenn in New Orleans and was most recently assistant special teams coordinator with the Problem.
Speaker 6: And you saw how much interest there was in Banjo because he had multiple interviews this offseason. So he's considered a blossoming stud in the coaching industry as well. I love Steve Wilkes. I thought he got an extremely raw deal in San Francisco two years ago, and somebody had to take the blame for that Super Bowl loss that wound up being him, and things weren't much better once he left there.
Speaker 2: So Steve Steve.
Speaker 6: I also think Steve is and I've said this before, he's a good coordinator. I think he's got the chops to be a great head coach, and I don't think he got a fair shake in Arizona or Carolina, where he led them to a six and six record, I believe for a team that was struggling as an interim head coach and then didn't get real serious consideration for the job there because they wanted an offensive guy and then wound up hiring Frank Reich, who was gone quickly in the mid It's just it's it's Steve Wilks is a great hire and he'll be able to give Aaron Glenn the experience of, Hey, I've been in that chair twice. Once he's an interim, once is a full time guy to help him get get movement as a head coach.
Speaker 1: All right, we're going to get you out of here, but state true case. You can pick any card here. As far as since we've been talking a little bit about pro free agency, pick a card and then anyway, Yeah, okay, you're going right off the top.
Speaker 2: Hold on, hold on, Ah, this is actually a good one. So this is a good one. This is a guy going right off the top.
Speaker 6: When you when I've when you get a a GM or a head coach who comes in and you can get a guy who has been with him before. In Carlton Davis, I probably should say the name. You get a guy who's been with him before. That helps set the tone for the other guys there to say, I can translate what he wants, what he's expecting, uh, to those guys that have already been there. Uh, that is extremely helpful. Plus he's I mean, he's a good player as well. I don't mean to make it just seem like he's an honorary coach, but uh, I.
Speaker 3: Like that one.
Speaker 1: It's a good fit for the Jets right there. There you go the three card Monty, you're card mont You're a good fit for the Jets as well. Because I'm hearing that, Hey, when you're on Jets platforms, people are consuming people.
Speaker 6: My Jets, I mean my Jet fan friends, and there are plenty of them. Uh, they're watching this now. So so when Jets drive or whatever. It's always like, dude, saw you on that great awesome or you know you're an idiot at that too, but they see it, well, we all do.
Speaker 1: Maybe we can circle back and see what the Jets actually did in free agency at the league meetings.
Speaker 2: Here in a couple of weeks, I will be there.
Speaker 6: Beautiful weather in Palm Beach this time of year, so excited for that.
Speaker 2: Thanks Buding, you got a pout