Speaker 1: Quest Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to another episode of Quest Love Supreme. This is unpaid bill. Last week we gave you.
Speaker 3: Part one of our studio interview with our friends Hannibal Burns. According to Hollywood, you haven't yet checked that out. Hannibal spoke about Chicago, his beginnings in comedy, and more. We're back with part two and also this full interview will be available on YouTube soon, so be.
Speaker 4: Sure to check that out too.
Speaker 2: All right, folks, here we go.
Speaker 4: I would think, like if I'm making my for raight in the comedy, I would have my defense ready, Like how do you deal with hecklers? How do you deal with How early you deal with hecklers?
Speaker 5: I mean you try to just win the room back, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: I mean it's different early on when they don't know you, because then.
Speaker 5: It's just fully combative versus dealing with it.
Speaker 6: Now when people pay money to see you and they might have been wanting to see you for a while, and then somebody else's ruining their experience, so it's easier to light them up and flip.
Speaker 5: You could just say like, hey, they.
Speaker 6: Didn't come here for that ship and they're like, we didn't come here for that.
Speaker 7: You ain't got to no Heckler's rule. I've seen a lot of comedians have that now, like.
Speaker 6: We just said before the show, but if people want to, I mean sometimes people say stuff and you just just like it's not they stay in.
Speaker 5: The seats, so it usually it's usually light work.
Speaker 6: I'd rather not talk with them just because I got an hour and a half of show and stories.
Speaker 5: So it's not really going to ignore them.
Speaker 6: No, no, no, no, you don't really ignore if they're loud enough because they took focus. So you just try to just settle the room and and just you know, show them why they're there.
Speaker 4: Who's that was it?
Speaker 2: Said?
Speaker 4: That told us that he makes sure that one of his openers is like a shooter like that comes out in his mere job is to roost the audience to be like, you know, I don't bash you. I think Chris Rock also had that. Do you know the white Uh yeah, he's good? Oh yeah, who Jce No, no, no, it wasn't. Well I know Jesselyn, but it's another guy. It's a new guy where he just he intentionally just comes down the audience and talks like lights you up unprovoked whatever, and it you know, it's I'm surprised that he's still living, that's how good he is at roasting. But for you, do you always have like your back pocket full of like your mama jokes.
Speaker 6: Or or no, you kind of you know, even now, you just try to get an idea of where they add and just you know why they you know, it depends on the situation of what you were talking about. A lot of times if they interest especially if they interrupted in a story. It's just as simple as saying, I don't know why you thought it was cool to say that right there. That was a terrible spot for you to say that must be drunk, uh yeah, drunk or just you know, it's just a heckle by accident.
Speaker 4: So you don't.
Speaker 7: You got no heckle by accident, Like just like I'm sorry, I thought that was a question for me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it wasn't.
Speaker 6: Sometimes people talking amongst themselves and it's it's so loud it sounds like a heckle But then a lot of times too, it's a function of my show not being that tight yet, and so it left them too much room. Yeah, it left too much room, and so they're like, that's my turn. I can't sit with my thoughts that long. I got something. And so now as I've been on the road with this one and now that the show is, you don't really leave too much space for somebody to even think of something to say because you're on to the next So that's that's what that A lot of the hecklers happen if I'm in a in a gap and like, oh, where's my next thing?
Speaker 5: But so now where if the ship is like that, then they ain't got no room.
Speaker 4: At what point are you taking this series as in, this is what I want to do for a living? And are you aware of the Chicago paths? I e. You know, either go the Second City route, so that a Steve Higgins, Yeah, Like, is it general knowledge for every comedian in Chicago that either Higgins or a rep for Lauren Michaels or anyone SNL related it's going to spend three weeks out there and sort of circle the Second Cities and the ucb's.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well yeah, around then it was it was known, but that wasn't really my path or what I wanted to do at the time. I was kind of really locked in on stand up. Even getting SNL was a after fouling. Seth Myers wanted to meet and I didn't know what he wanted to meet about because I was I didn't I hadn't submitted a packet. I had submitted some stuff the year before, and I thought it was that it was so bad that I was blackballed. I did that cast submission with some bad I was like, here's rock being Jerry Seinfeld. It was some stuff that really wasn't as good as I could have. So I was thinking, what does he want to meet about? Because I didn't added a mine, and I damn it didn't take the meeting because I had a price line ticket back to Chicago and those guys really they have really rigid shame's policies.
Speaker 5: So I was like, what does he want to talk about?
Speaker 4: Because you can't talk about on the phone. Wait, all right, So that's another question you get answered for me because this is the number one thing every comedian friend of mine and the Tonight Show and SNL. Yeah, what is a package? And what goes in those package? Because they always say to me, well, just have to send me a package, right, what's the what's the package?
Speaker 5: The writing package? For SNL or just in general.
Speaker 4: Or if you want to be have you written for a late night show before you did SNL or was that SNL your entry into writing for a show?
Speaker 5: SNL was my entry?
Speaker 4: Okay, So if I want to submit a package to SNL, what is in that package?
Speaker 5: Probably a few handful of sketches.
Speaker 6: This is also you know, I'm just thinking of what the format of the show is. I don't know exactly, So it'll be a few sketches, probably a commercial parody, some weekend update jokes.
Speaker 4: And you have to type this out like submit it as a script or you do this like video.
Speaker 5: Or if you submit it as a writer out there you would have it typed out.
Speaker 4: Does it help if you have a visual to it? Especially now?
Speaker 6: Probably now you know I was my year was O nine, so I'm sure now it is definitely more visual because they got more visual.
Speaker 5: I think they got different three different.
Speaker 6: Visual camps in there now, so yeah, you know, they definitely focusing more on the on the digital. But yeah, I think that's what it will be a few sketches maybe, yeah, commercial parody, weekend update and that and that. That's just a solid submission.
Speaker 4: So you feel as though that your actual stand up on that show was your. You didn't officially have to submit.
Speaker 6: I never Yeah, I never submitted anything written up. They just I met with Seth. I think the meeting was just to see if I was crazy.
Speaker 5: In person or intolerable and then for me the job.
Speaker 4: At the end of the meeting. How many years were you at SNL? One year? One season? Wait? What?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: In my mind you were like or maybe I'm just lumping you in with Tim and Chay.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: We never like Tim Robinson and like all.
Speaker 5: Never overlapped with Chay or who's uh or JB Smooth?
Speaker 4: No, he was the only lone black guy.
Speaker 6: In and h Keena was, Yeah, Keena was. It was just yeah, it was me there. Who's Fred Armisen was there? As far as Yeah, it was Jenny Slat's one year there? Yeah, n Megan Fox was the season premiere. That was your That was your that was your first that was first episodes.
Speaker 4: And inside for people, that particular episode is what has started the mythical war between Melody Cole and I because I had a dope sweater that she liked and she ignored him. She's like, oh, I like your sweater. I was like, oh thanks, and she like he was like and that sort of that's the beginning of our spy versus spy on Instagram thing with each other. But for you, the one thing, now, I wish i'd known you known you during that period because I'm always running the Higgins on a Monday after I watch a show, because sometimes I'm trying to figure out how do things get greenlit that I can't actually see written on paper? For instance, like I would assume that all sketches on that show that people have to sit at a table, yeah, and physically describe something and you can feedback in the room or not. But there's some things that I literally can't see it be in formed with, like and at this point, I'm gonna fall down the stairs, and trust me, it's gonna be funny. Like is there a lot of that where it's this faith that Okay, it sounds like you know what you're talking about right the bit, Well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, people, it's the pitch meeting, the Monday pitch where everybody's in the office in Lauren's office and some people pitching real ideas, some people pitching fake and then folks right on Tuesdays and then it's the read through that two thousand and nine twenty ten season was the first What's up with that?
Speaker 4: Oh man? Yeah, I love that. Did you have something to do?
Speaker 6: Like, No, I didn't have it, but I just you know, being there for the beginning was cool, and I remember everybody was kind of singing it around the oven.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well that's the thing though, like at a pitch table, Like that's a bit that relies a lot on repetition, mostly Jason Sadac dancing in the background. Yeah, but it involves a lot of physical things in which how do you literally don't see how that's funny on paper, but it's one of the funniest things I've ever seen on the show.
Speaker 6: So yeah, I think the song care in it in the in that setting, you know what I mean, Like everybody's.
Speaker 4: Just you know, Coatri Sponge sugar free.
Speaker 5: Yeah with that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, was there a bit that you like, what was the bit that you were surprised that actually made it to air that you were part of?
Speaker 6: Only had one sketch of my own that made it, and then I contributed to others and contributed lines here and there. I had Rihanna said one of my lines that that that helped me for a little bit, just you know, because I popped into Lonely Island office when they were working on Shyronni. Because it was just you know, it was a time where I realized, Okay, I'm not getting stuff on, so let me just pop in and try to you know.
Speaker 4: Are you allowed to keep your head in and what's going on here?
Speaker 6: And then yeah, you could just you know, yeah, you could just pop in territorial like maybe some people you know, they weren't, but some people might have been on that. They might have some people might have been more closed off than others. I'm not even you know, those day I felt comfortable going, you know, just to chop it up with them.
Speaker 5: So I popped in. They were working on shy Ronnie and I had.
Speaker 6: Actually sent him a Bangs video you remember, let me take it to the movie and.
Speaker 5: So that's yeah, that's where you got.
Speaker 4: The ha yeah, and so yeah, maybe where it came from.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And then it was a line they was they were doing the Schyronnie and then I came up with the line this beat cost a lot of money for Rihanna to say, and so this to see it, I was like, WHOA was Brehanna just said some ship.
Speaker 5: I said, man, that's crazy.
Speaker 8: It sounds like, so did you did you really enjoy being a writer? Like it doesn't sound I mean like you sound you were thankful for the experience. Yeah, it seemed like you just really wanted to just be on stage kind of doing you.
Speaker 6: I think before the second half of the season, Chris Rockett actually told me to try to get on camera, try to get on weekend Update, And so so I met with Sad, Hey can I get on Weekend Update? Which was it was I feel like it was a strong ass because you yourself. I hadn't done anything, but it was just you know, well, might as well asked you. He said, all right, write something up and we'll we'll try it at the table.
Speaker 5: And so I wrote, wrote something.
Speaker 6: I reformatted the picklejuice joke and this other joke about rental cars or something. I formatted as me as a financial advisor or something like that, and then we tried it at the table.
Speaker 5: It went cool, and then we.
Speaker 6: Did it in dress rehearsal actually, and it went cool at dress and then it got cut and then we're gonna get you next week, and then it never came okay.
Speaker 4: So I have a question about dress rehearsal. So in my observations, whenever you guys have the post dress rehearsal meeting, when you guys find out if you made the cut or not, I automatically know that the people that didn't make it, they always rush up to seventeen and they just start getting drunk, like yeah, there's a level depressed giving family secrets away. No, there's just a level of hope, like you know, you're pointing all your hope that this makes it, and they do like what they do, like an extra six or seven sketches on the rehearsal show to see what works, and then they got to cut the six and then remix it for the eleven thirty show. And usually I would know that some writers that whose jokes didn't make it, and you know, you take that lonely trip up to seventeen where there's always a stash of beer like brown liquor whatever, and people just get ungodly drunk and be like all right, I'll try to get next week. Like but for you, were you taking stuff personal or did you feel like there's a time limit, like I gotta get something on next week.
Speaker 6: It was just it was tough to not get stuff on because it was just you know, I knew I was funny and I was having I was doing well it's stand up, you know what I mean, And so I was I was having success there. Uh, but yeah, it was frustrating to to not to not have stuff moving and feeling like I was creative enough to succeed in the in the format. I think, you know, if I did it another year, because then I would have known how to move around in the building and just how to collaborate and and how to just learn really yeah, yeah, I learned the system because it's really I mean, it's a terrible on boarding process, being honest, you.
Speaker 5: Just right, here's your office peace, like what.
Speaker 9: On board just created last year?
Speaker 5: It was just just get there.
Speaker 4: But the thing was, I always thought that because I also recalled you were on thirty Rock a lot that year. Yeah, right, So was the decision like, okay, well let me try did you write for thirty rock or you were.
Speaker 5: Just like I wrote for thirty rock?
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, was that a better fit for you?
Speaker 6: Or it was SNL kind of soft fired me. There was no real and then you just didn't get a call back, just didn't get.
Speaker 5: A call back. And then and then thirty Rock came through.
Speaker 6: I think because Donald had left to do community, so didn't they need to.
Speaker 5: They need to feel their diversity spot and so there.
Speaker 4: To punch up Tracy Morgan and guys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I punched up. I did a lot of It wasn't a general thing.
Speaker 4: Okay, every time I mentioned that on the show, people look at me like, I just like, like I landed from another planet. But I recall, I don't know if you've seen it in jests. I mean, he wasn't saying it jokingly. But I was always under the impression that Glover's sort of existence on thirty Rock was sort of to punch up whatever Tracy Jordan's character was, like, to enhance his stuff, like you did like Werewolf, bar mitzvah and all that other stuff. And you know, so I just assumed that when it came to Tracy's character, they needed to not look like all white people writing for the show, and.
Speaker 6: That uh nah, that was never explicitly explicitly said. It was just you know, you in the room with everybody and they go on line through line by the script.
Speaker 5: Everybody pitch of the.
Speaker 6: Line until something is just undeniable and then you write it with that.
Speaker 5: And then move along. But yeah, it was yeah, I think the day job that was more of a regular job.
Speaker 6: Thirty Rock was like that was every you know what I mean, show up at nine or ten or whatever, even at at six.
Speaker 8: And so was that challenging because that scene that just sounds like the complete opposite it was being a comedian.
Speaker 5: Man, it wasn't. It wasn't for me, man, But I yeah, it wasn't.
Speaker 9: Less stressing essnal though. Right.
Speaker 6: The thing with ESSNL though, was that you would have weeks off, so you might do two weeks on, two weeks off, three weeks on, one week off, and then so for that week you could go on the road do whatever.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thirty rock was just your on on on. So yeah, it wasn't. It wasn't really for me like that.
Speaker 9: How long you do that job?
Speaker 5: One season? I went through one season, but.
Speaker 6: It was early on I was I realized it wasn't for me, and I said, man, about to quit this. I wrote out pros and cons on the sheet.
Speaker 8: To quit just writing or quit comedy period, no quick that that job, and so I just said, let me just tough it out for this year and and do it.
Speaker 6: It's a it's a steady paycheck. But then after that, because I had cabin fever, I think I went on a road for probably eight months straight, you know what I mean, just because I was.
Speaker 5: I went everywhere.
Speaker 4: How far in events? Was the Andre Show? And how is that pitch to you? And does it make sense to you? At the time when that looked like for real.
Speaker 5: I think it was just more I'm doing this.
Speaker 4: Thing and you already know he's crazy, And it.
Speaker 5: Wasn't even it was just you want to It was when did we film that?
Speaker 4: Oh? Wait, see like an improved version of Hits from the Streets? Yeah, and is well you never done any of the have you done any of this street bits that he does?
Speaker 6: Or yeah, we did some street stuff in New York? Did the Black Israelites? I did acting like we did beating up the police car. I did draw a police officer with a forty. We did Who Get a Stranger? I wrote a stranger to let like, who can get the most strangers? Let them hold their babies? Which I bailed on that when I do it in real life. Wait a second, I know I wrote this, but to do.
Speaker 4: So, what's the planning like, because I would assume that you would have to go to a place where you absolutely know that they do not know who Eric Andre is. Yeah, and I can be in Harlem, Yeah, in the Heights.
Speaker 6: First couple of seasons that wasn't that was that wasn't an issue right twenty premiered in twenty twelve.
Speaker 4: How do you guys, like, because he's such a call phenomenon, how did you find you know? There were some places where I see y'all like went to like Redneck down South, Like, how do.
Speaker 6: You think I didn't do those I didn't do those travel ones. And that's more on production and and and on that that side of the game as far as trying to preserve that. But yeah, the early stuff that wasn't really too much of an issue. He was would have kind of catch people off guard with a lot of the early stuff.
Speaker 5: It was it was.
Speaker 4: Has there ever been a situation so dangerous that had never made it on air like a TV show?
Speaker 5: Oh? Okay, I mean I think he's gotten arrested before.
Speaker 6: It's been some crazier ones when I haven't been there that I've seen, and there might be some other stuff that's untold that I don't even I don't even know about it if I'm not there, but you.
Speaker 9: Help face it real good, Like the ship was normal. I was like, how do you do that?
Speaker 5: It's time?
Speaker 6: I mean, we added out when I break, But I do break sometimes.
Speaker 5: I think some of you just bite the inside of your cheek to hold in a last there's a little tricks. You just gotta grit the teeth feeling.
Speaker 4: One of one of the coolest things I learned and doing that show was how vomited is made. So there's a husband and wife team and they it's it's like they have their own ice cream truck. And what they do is they provide, well, no, they provide. If you ever watch a show, there's a brandonotato chips that looks like Lays, but it's called Let's and you'll see it. Just look up Lets potato Chips. It'll be on Community. It's been on like Scandal, like that's their that's their trademark, like any random snacks and you'll look like in the background, be like Let's crackers or whatever, like that's how they do it. But they also make, uh, they make blood and vomit. Like he handles the art for fake cereal and fake bread and all the foods, and she handles vomits. And so she rolled in this like cart and she's like, so, what's your favorite cereal? And I was like huh, And I was like, all right, Golden Grams and uh Captain crunching and tricks, right, and then she'll take all that and put it in a blender.
Speaker 5: And that was my vomit.
Speaker 4: That was my throw up. It was a cereal wow. Yeah. And sometimes they'll you know, they'll put the pump, they'll put the pump in your hands. So it's like, that's what thing. So I had to throw up on the show. I don't I don't even know if that made the final cut, but there was a point where like, yeah, vomited on the drum set. So it was so tasty. Yeah, it tasted real good because they put it was all cereal. And we'll be right back after.
Speaker 2: Brought to you by Let's Potato Cheses.
Speaker 4: All right, So we're back with Quest Loves Supreme. All right, So I'm going to pick a new approach to a question that I know you're tired of answering. I'm not even going to ask you the story about this. No, no, but I'm gonna ask you, do you finally feel as though the scarlet letter quote hashtag of that situation is now in your rear view mirror or seriously or do you wake up it.
Speaker 6: Like, Uh, no, no, it's not in the rare view.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 5: Sometimes people just hit me.
Speaker 6: It's like, uh, people hit me up freshly mad, like they just found out about to this day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this new message, Fuck you man, what the fuck? And it's just like, come.
Speaker 6: On, man, I've heard every reaction you could hear the to the whole thing, and so it's just kind of all that goes in this bugget like because I've heard all of it from and I've heard anything you could say about it pretty much in twenty fourteen and twenty fifteen.
Speaker 5: So it's just no, no, it's uh, it's just one of them things.
Speaker 4: How did you work through that?
Speaker 8: Because I just imagine it's crazy to just one day just wake up being the most famous person in the world for something that is totally unrelated to you, you know what I mean.
Speaker 9: And that was public knowledge but never really right right.
Speaker 5: It was a wild time, man, It was a you know, yeah, it was uh uh.
Speaker 6: That was the first time I would be on TV without knowing I was about to be on TV, and so that was, yeah, I'm just chilling and.
Speaker 10: Watching like what, man, I ain't know what because before the hat, it was just my TV appearance was you know, Eric and it was my comedy special.
Speaker 6: It was my late night stuff where it was like, I know, I'm going to be on Comedy Central at nine.
Speaker 5: Thirty, check me out. And so that was the most time. Yeah, So that that was I was jarring.
Speaker 6: It was a lot of it was it was heavy, man, because it kind of we pushed stuff back because of it, because I was we were getting ready to announce my Comedy Central show, but it was already in motion for a year or something before that. But then because that was happening, it was like, oh, we are now staying. It looked like it's I got the job because of that. Some people still think that, but it is what it is.
Speaker 4: So you wanted to hold it back so it didn't look like they want to want to drop it right in that but I don't, but they just you know, we definitely things.
Speaker 6: Were adjusted and moved around because of it, and I think it took a lot of a lot of headspace creatively and probably you know, in some form affected the work I created at that time and maybe even now.
Speaker 7: But you didn't have nobody to lean on in a way because you were like the first to do something like that to someone who had such a It.
Speaker 4: Was a viral movement that probably introduced the term cancel culture, I.
Speaker 7: Guess, yeah, for somebody who people looked at in a totally opposite way. So it's kind of like who you lean on when you are stressed about that, because who've been through it?
Speaker 4: Yeah? What do you call you? Who's on your side? Who was just your squad? Uh?
Speaker 5: Gambling?
Speaker 6: Alcohol, heavy like heavy spending, like those friends just getting private jets just as I got it, just like I had this ship already.
Speaker 8: We don't say it kind of ended or not end it because you know, you say you're still getting messages, But when do you feel like you kind of work through it?
Speaker 4: And it's like all right, you know, well can you in twenty twenty three, can you get through a week without someone bringing it up?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I can get through a week.
Speaker 6: It's not it's not something that's heavy like that. I'm chill with what it is now. But the initial ship was was crazy because it was like, oh man, this is this is intense. It was you know people, you know random after that, and I do.
Speaker 5: Want to see you with your show.
Speaker 6: And then I'm talking ship like I'm also I'm like, come see me there Moray.
Speaker 4: Who's defending him?
Speaker 9: Uh well, all we're kind of you know, don't let's keep it.
Speaker 7: Let's keep it from getting like I know, the black folks, I'm like, what you're doing putting our business in public?
Speaker 4: Right? Bo? I forgot about that part. That part, I forgot about it, right.
Speaker 5: That was.
Speaker 4: So for you though, like in terms of like doing movies and whatnot, Like I always feel like, for you, what is the end game because I've yet to see like have you thought about doing your own comedy show, like your own series? I know sitcoms are like what we call it now? No series? Is it still a hustle or is it like where do you want to land the plane? Where it's like this is what I'm definitively known for.
Speaker 6: Right Uh yeah, there's no singular thing right now. So it's it's pretty that's fag minute. I'm not too move by film like that as far as me wanting to make my own.
Speaker 5: I like docs.
Speaker 6: We did the one I did the one Doctor Handible takes Edinburgh. We did one for my festival, I solo fest. I think event the event space and just live so and and and helping others.
Speaker 5: Dude do great shows too.
Speaker 6: So I got the the the least on the old knitting factory space. So I'm taking out your back. Yeah, so I'm gonna be running that spot and congratulations.
Speaker 5: So I think.
Speaker 4: Factory, the one in the one in Williamsburg.
Speaker 5: Yeah, gotta got a tenure least there.
Speaker 4: This is a weird, sad question. Did old girl work out for you or did you work Yeah?
Speaker 5: I talked with her. She's dope. She's dope. Yeah, I gotta when I'm back out in New York, meeting in person.
Speaker 4: But so you're literally going to run that spot.
Speaker 5: From run that spot, yeah, and probably do a month.
Speaker 4: Because they used to be the old home of Okay player well used to be upstairs.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the space was still Vagan Knitting Factory left there August of last year and then the.
Speaker 5: Realtor reached out.
Speaker 6: Hey still you know he was the new I guess they had one for a while and then he took he took it over as far as marketing it.
Speaker 5: He reached out to me, Hey, man, I know you used to do shows here. What you think about it? And initially I was like, hell, no, man, why is it still open? And that's going on? Why it's it been open for a year?
Speaker 6: And then I just kind of started, you know, running the numbers in my head. I said, this could be really this could be something really cool, man, just to and it's a great story to you know, I hosted I was. I did the first night there in two thousand and nine, which led to me hosting my my comedy night there. My comedy night was on Sundays because that was my only off day from SNL.
Speaker 4: Were you were you part of even Tarror did hip hop karaoke when like I remember DJ Terror?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Was it? Were you there with? Like? Were you running that hip hop karaoke?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 6: We just did that special for my birthday. That was my thirtieth birthday. Y'all came through.
Speaker 4: Oh I thought that was like a weekly thing.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 4: I was like, oh, this is dope.
Speaker 6: No, we just did it up for my birthday and and and yeah it was twenty thirteen. Okay, thank you for coming through. By the way, I was fun. But yeah, man, I'm hyped about that because it just gives me. I love going to shows and seeing dope shows.
Speaker 7: What's your vision, like in your mind, this is dope because you know, folks like you don't do whole venues, so you can just put whatever you want to.
Speaker 6: Yeah, just the you know, I want to get the a dope screen in there, like get the visuals right, just you know, really making my own and it's three hundred caps, so that's a great.
Speaker 9: What kind of shows you're thinking?
Speaker 5: All types of like just a dope artists man, you know, booked to my taste and I.
Speaker 4: Forgotten also factories music also, yeah, I thought you were just going to turn.
Speaker 6: It nice comedy. Yeah, it's gonna be everything, you know, everything more and more. Yeah, it'd be probably more music, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: It would be lean when you're working out comedy in New York, because I know that there's different communities up there, like yeah, established comedy seller and then kind of the Vegacy. I don't want to say, I don't know what to call the Vegas type comedian, but that's always like a midtown Manhattan Caroline sort of thing. And then there's like the Brooklyn set where like Wyatt or you know, I guess they call it alternative. Is Brooklyn really considered like the alternative comedy hub? Like, I don't think I would see Chris at any spot in Brooklyn.
Speaker 6: So Chris came through nit A bunch word, Yeah, oh Chris, Chris came through Neit.
Speaker 5: They've came through Neit.
Speaker 4: Well, there's some people that just have no fear and go. But like, is that still is it still not segregated? But is it still like the all comedians don't mess with the Vegas comedians who don't mess with the whatever the a list that comedy Seller represents.
Speaker 6: I'm not one to speak on the current scene right now because I haven't been I haven't lived in New York full time since twenty sixteen seventeen. I've been out been out West, so I'm not really even well versed. I just kind of now if I just started doing comedy in New York recently, and I'll pop out a seller, you know, I'm really not want to speak on all the dynamics.
Speaker 4: Is the seller a spot that you trust? Because most comedians tell me that you have to work out in a spot that is hard, Like Chris is like, no, I'm going to Palm Springs, Florida. I'm going to there's a spot in Ohio. He wants. He wants an audience that he doesn't resonate with whatsoever, and if they can laugh, then he knows he has something. But if you're in the comedy seller, then it's like your boys are there egging you are like, yeah, that's dope, and then it doesn't work for me.
Speaker 5: Just doing an hour on the road.
Speaker 6: Now you're trying to headline, so that's where you you know, I'd rather I don't really even do that many fifteen minutes like pop up on my show. I want to do an hour because some of my some of the pieces and stories now it's twenty twenty five minutes on their own. So I'm not gonna figure that out out there.
Speaker 5: Uh So I.
Speaker 6: Think just working on it. You you get better as a headliner by by headlining. And so this recent run it made me realize for my last before I put out Miami Nights and my last tour was all theaters, which is cool and it's and it's nice to be able to do, but it made me realize I ain't really like really hammered the show in the club and just you know, getting the timing right and and doing five in a weekend and and having you know, performed through you know, waitresses and whatever walking through and just you know, get to get the show tight and then taking it to theaters, which I'm doing now. And so I'm noticing the difference in the inequality and as far as just making the show bulletproof through through to just working on it. So it's been I'm I'm hype man because I've been you know, just been moving around and and and it's been It's an exciting time creatively.
Speaker 8: I wanted you to talk about specifically Miami Nights and and you know, your decision to put it out on YouTube. Yeah, just talking through that whole experience because it was something for me. It was really inspired. I mean we talked in private about it, but yeah, was really inspiring. I think a lot of artists it would. I think it would inspired them to hear that story.
Speaker 5: With Miami Knights.
Speaker 6: It was a lot of it was the decision making around it was definitely based in emotion because of you know, it was me dealing with my my false arrest and all of that, and so you know, going to the marketplace, it.
Speaker 5: Was tough for me to put a price on it and so like.
Speaker 6: They say this amount, like, motherfucker, what are you talking about? Is because I couldn't just it was not it was not business in that way to me. And so that was a big part of it. And then just doing the negotiation in pandemic and and having a lot of.
Speaker 5: Time to think.
Speaker 6: It was about we were about to go to Netflix, we know, right, And it wasn't ont flick talking about it. It was delivered to Netflix. We were they were subtitling that ship. And I pulled it why because it just I was just thinking about it, man, And and it was just it was part it was short term vision, long term vision where it didn't look like the road was happening in the fall, and so and it was signing away the entire the entire thing. And I didn't think the price point after sitting around thinking about it because I wasn't in motion. You're your manager, Uh at that time, I did not have management.
Speaker 5: I had agent, Yeah, I had agent.
Speaker 6: That was there was, but it was just you know, yeah, me and my thoughts was my manager, and so it was just somewhere I didn't I'm I'm happy with the decision. I wish I just did it earlier because I know they were salted it and I got relationships over there that was before they were even at Netflix. But yeah, so I decided to go YouTube just to keep the keep the ownership of it and and put it out that way.
Speaker 7: And YouTube ownership is like, because I was wondering, I'm like, don't they still.
Speaker 5: Own no YouTube? Uh?
Speaker 6: And then I took it down from YouTube too because I just it was weird releasing something in the in the pandemic and not having any live energy around it and movement and then and then then so now it's just down and I be thinking I'm gonna put it back up, but it's no urgency.
Speaker 5: And I kind of like the idea of having a special that people.
Speaker 4: Can create your own scarcity.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and so it's just no, I don't want to, you know, I like just having and you know, maybe who knows when they'll go out. They'll go out eventually, but it's not it's not I have to do it like that.
Speaker 4: It's just well, I'll ask you because I still say that that's the two things that I've not seen a comedian do yet. And I feel like comedy should be something which a comedian will attempt to go in uncharted territory. And so there was a what's his name's boy who did the comedy special with no audience. Oh, I can't remember, the white guy Drew Michael. But also I believe Silverman once did a special which it had to been at least maybe like eighteen people in the room, like, but it was just an intimate which that felt like, oh, that must be hard, like to try to make eighteen people gut laugh in that manner. But I mean, are there for you? Is there any desire to figure that out? Or it's just like nah, Like if it ain't broke, don't fix it, Like just.
Speaker 5: Do something, just doing a different message with the format.
Speaker 6: Yeah, uh yeah, there's a lot of ways to to just try it.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 8: I think to drive through shows you kind of, I mean the driving shows you did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so why didn't you like the wor you said disasters drive through?
Speaker 5: Man? That shit was just.
Speaker 6: Ye had a huh And it's just a disconnect. There's no you can't see faces people either in their cars or or sitting on it. It's no connection and so that you know, especially you know, I was rusty too, you know what I mean, with no real and so then jumping back out my first gig, it's nothing I practiced for the past, you know, eighteen years or whatever.
Speaker 5: So it was just a weird experience.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 6: I remember Cleveland was the first show. It was facing a highway and it was a train. It was a train track to the right, A stage was facing a highway. Audience is seeing so I'm so I'm seeing FedEx trucks and then the train got really active during my set and I hadn't even been on stage in months, so I'm and I'm like, whoa, this is terrible. But because the audience is listening to radio, that's not their experience, so they're not bothered by the train.
Speaker 5: They're not even seeing the trucks.
Speaker 6: So I'm just mother on stage complaining about trucks and trains.
Speaker 5: So it was just one of those was it, man? I wanted to and I was.
Speaker 6: We got about six morties and it was It was funny to flip because initially I was super excited to get that tour going, just to get something going we out here, and then I actually announced that because somebody else was taking too long. It made sense that they was taking too long because it was a dicey situation, so they was thinking about it, and so I said, no, we about to announce, and I announced, and then we get out there and.
Speaker 5: I said, man, I want to cancel the rest of these. We kind of figured it out and it got better, but it still wasn't.
Speaker 6: It wasn't the ideal it was. It was a it was an an ideal situation. As far as it's flipping stuff, I mean, you make it.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 6: We did the Hannibal Takes Edinburgh thing where that was a bunch of shows in one place, and and adding the docu documentary element. I think people liked story and seeing it seeing that part of it, I got some I got another idea for something for a special that involves some some traveling and some some moving around. So there is ways to flipp it because there's been so much just stand up done, just somebody standing on the stage. So anytime you could figure out a different visual element or something else, you know, it could just makes it be CREATI because the jokes are gonna be the jokes no matter what you're doing.
Speaker 5: So it's just how to how to figure out how to flip it.
Speaker 8: Man, I wanted you to talk about Isla Feste you pulled up because that she was insane. So yeah, how do you get how many thousands of people that you got to?
Speaker 4: Yeah, a small town.
Speaker 8: That you know you probably couldn't even find on the map.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I Solo fest December twenty nineteen. I had the idea, I have a little club. Me and my cousin own a club and I sold the Mississippi that's where my my mom's side of the family's from.
Speaker 5: And so I had the idea to do.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: I wanted to do some shows down there, just to draw attention.
Speaker 6: Population of this town is a thousand or less. Uh, super small town. But I said, you know what you do the right ship people people show up, and so I want to do a show down there.
Speaker 5: And then.
Speaker 6: First hear I hit up T Pain, expecting him to say no, it was really just a practice call. Just a practice call is practice in my pitch. I'm gonna let him say no. I hit up T Pain. You want to do the show? And I told it I.
Speaker 4: Never thought of that. I need that advice. Right, I'm doing this ship wrong. I got to call it Fredda doctor Dre.
Speaker 5: I'm expected to know he was. I said, you want to do the show? And I sold him thinking it he said yeah, I.
Speaker 6: Said what And so then I escalate into it, I said, from being a one night thing to a three day festival, which was on that sarih.
Speaker 5: But we got the memories and the experience. Uh.
Speaker 6: And then and then it was we was only doing it on three weeks notice because the play was to do it in December, So this was I guess late November that I was trying to execute this and then and then, uh, we were gonna do it properly the following Memorial Day weekend. Now that we established it and everything and then and we did it.
Speaker 5: Was cool, man.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 6: It's a lot of challenges that you could imagine to doing a show in rural Mississippi, but it was it was dope to to have it come together after, you know, because it's you know, brought a lot of artists down and and people. It wasn't thousands of folks, it was, you know, a few hundred, but it was it was people came from from everywhere to the you know a lot of spots in the South, and the folks that went to it hadn't seen anything like that there before, so you know, you could see that genuine appreciation.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna trying to get that.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna get that back rolling and do a lot of updates to the club to once once uh get my Brooklyn stuff going. The goal is to have that kind of stuff trickle down to there and maybe I'll start booking folks on the Isola Brooklyn run.
Speaker 5: But uh yeah, I want to, you know, just have your multiple multiple venues and and and.
Speaker 6: And build like that and just you know, really really do some cool stuff in the live space.
Speaker 4: When you did the Spider Man movie, which one, uh well, I recall that at one of the premieres, you had sent a sub year to go in your place. Where did that come from?
Speaker 6: It was just really I want I was on set at TAG and they needed me for that day, and I didn't want to not have any presence there.
Speaker 5: You know, I didn't want to just be I can't make it. It's a Spider Man. He looked like her.
Speaker 4: How did you know? I don't think he he just na.
Speaker 6: He really looked like me a little bit taller. He was bald, uh, and I just.
Speaker 4: Was like, how did you how did you one? How did you find him? And what was the game plan? And did you warn the Spider Man people that you're sending a sub in your place?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 6: I found him. I tweeted it out, and then I wasn't good. I said, I needed to look like I need to look alike, uh, you know, have decent comedic time. And I forgot what the ad was, but put that out, and then there was a bunch of folks that was emailing it weren't seriously white folks.
Speaker 5: He was like, come on, man, I'm trying to do something. Come on, man, I know he messing around.
Speaker 4: Was able? Was he able to fool anyone in the press line that?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 6: Then he reached out he had actually been a stand in for me on something for the MTV the Movie Awards of VMA or something that shot, so he could be trusted to not do nothing too crazy out there, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Some people might get in that environment and.
Speaker 4: Crazy trying to keep working.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he trying.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So he kept the cool And so then I just sent him all of my credentials and everything that they sent me. So when he pulled up to the with the car, you know what I mean, and security he could just show that and so yeah, I mean, you know what I mean. And then he got there did an interview. It was crazy seeing it progress like that because we were watching him on live. There was a lot of downtime on the tag sets. So I said, what I put that together and just watching that, I.
Speaker 9: Don't think nobody's ever done this before either.
Speaker 4: And you know what, I don't think here's the funny thing, uh that was done to me before.
Speaker 2: You were like camal Bell.
Speaker 4: Here, No, here's the hilarious thing. I thought. I told the story before. Letterman had hosted the Emmy Award and it was disastrous or critics thought it was a disaster job. So kind of Letterman's middle finger to the Academy because oh shockers, they'd invite me to the nineteen ninety six one and so he was nominated for Best Late Night Show whatever. So he was like, I'm gonna send out a sub. Now this is TUPAC Diawood September thirteenth. Okay, so this is let's say September fifth of ninety six. I went to the store to buy a suit because this is the very first time that I'm drumming for DiAngelo for the Brown Sugar Platinum party. This is when like this is a very time first time me Pino, like everyone's doing that. And Letterman happened to be in that store buying a suit for if you remember the character on the show, Larry bud Melman. Do you remember Larry right, legendary character on the Letterman Show. And so Letterman's looking at me in all my primitive exotic glory like this, you know, six ft three Afro guy walking in. He doesn't know who or what I am. No one knows, and they were just like, hey, would you like to suit? And I was inadvertently part of the sketch and then they were like what are you doing on Sunday? And literally the thing flips and Larry bud Melman and I are like David Letterman's representatives for the Emmys what And all I remember was who's old boy from h Scrubs? I'm sorry, I know Scrubs as in the sound effects Don Donald, Yeah, yeah, And that's the moment where Donald, like Faison was like in tears, like Tupac just got shot. And like literally, yeah, it's like that's how it. But I was I was lettermans standing. Yeah, and then maybe a week later they realized the show realized like you know, this isn't a random guy, like this guy is an actual like they put him on. But then but you got to go to That made me well yeah, but then it also made me a friend of the show. And then that's the roots could not get on Letterman at that time during that do you want More philadelph period, So that kind of opened the door. So yes, I was David Letterman's proxy.
Speaker 2: I like, you know, scrubs because the sound effects that.
Speaker 4: I didn't know what show undercats no between between Barker Lewis can't lose his scrubs like they were just you know him, gentlemen cinema in between transition. That's not that I mean, but as they were just showing like.
Speaker 9: Hey, what right, you're right, you're right right?
Speaker 4: Sound effects. Yeah, I don't call it scrubs. I just call it.
Speaker 8: But I wanted to ask you, Hannibal, when you're going out on tour, when we're touring with rappers, what do you pick up?
Speaker 4: Like what do you learn?
Speaker 8: You know what I'm saying because stepping into a new kind of a new kind of performance. Yeah, what's some of the stuff you you're watching for and you learn when you watch other MC's perform Just the.
Speaker 6: Just rapping with with force, you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: And clarity, Yeah, just that part of it.
Speaker 6: Just make engine create moments for yourself, Like because at this point people listening, but they don't know my songs, and so I just can't rap at them blindly, and so it's just kind of creating the moments either acapellas or you walk them into the song explaining with the story, or hey, here's the hook to this, or you know those parts of it because it's forcing me. I can't just lean on y'all know this shit. They do not know that shit, but they.
Speaker 5: But they willing to learn. Uh so uh.
Speaker 6: And so that part of it of just energy and just you know, yeah this, you know, figuring out the pacing of a said and who are.
Speaker 7: Some mcs that you've watched though and you've been like, you know what he got that? I need to work on that myself, Fante. Okay, I was thinking that when.
Speaker 9: He was talking.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just yeah, y'all charismatic motherfucker.
Speaker 9: Yess he on stage. It's a problem.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Fante intro me in Raleigh or yeah, Raleigh was twenty thirteen. Because I asked, you want to do something, He's like, I'll do the intro and then he went up and introed me. He was like, ladies and gentlemen, everybody got everybody standing up?
Speaker 4: Did it too good? It was right.
Speaker 5: I was like, I didn't know that was possible. I didn't know you could start a show like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I swear for it was a period of time.
Speaker 8: I was damn near Hannibal's agent and booking agent when he came to He called me that same show. He called me. I got a call the night before. Hey man, I'm coming to Raleigh. I'm saying, you know some ballerinas.
Speaker 4: You were the man in Houston. I was the guy and he was like, yo, you know some.
Speaker 8: I'm like, yes, I got this bid I want to do. I just I just wrap, but I want ballerinas with it.
Speaker 4: I'm like, and you did, like, bro, let me see what I could do.
Speaker 8: And also I knew some people and he got we had like three four balleries.
Speaker 4: That was the night Damien was open for you. Damien Lemon.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, oh my god.
Speaker 9: I college with Damien.
Speaker 4: That was a great.
Speaker 2: I love that, you know, Ballerina.
Speaker 8: I was like, and then like you call again and the funniest funny this maybe a couple of years later, you hit me again. I was like, yo, man, so I'm doing the show here where I need somebody to open for me, and you know somebody and I had a home in mind. That was, you know, making him know. He was trying to you know, get in the game. And I just hit him like, yo, bro, you want to open.
Speaker 4: The handle tonight? He was like yeah, and he went and did it and I hit handle the next y. I said, how did it go? He was like, oh that nigga bombs.
Speaker 5: He wasn't good. It just yeah, it just what you know, did he have potential?
Speaker 9: Don't handle? Did he have potential?
Speaker 5: It's uh yeah, you had to ask me right afterwards. It's been a couple of years. That was twenty seventeen.
Speaker 8: But it was, you know, it was funny because he was you were laughing, like hell just talking about him bomb.
Speaker 4: I thought it was funny. Ship.
Speaker 8: But but nah, man, I when we did that show, when we did uh the like the run.
Speaker 4: We did the LB Run in March.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and I hit you up and I was like, yo, man, you want to do it? Because me and Pool were just thinking it was like yo, we didn't want to have just uh, you know, a traditional quote unquote like we wanted to show me like look man, this is really it's really an experience. And you know, I had you had sent me some of your music and I think you at first just put out the SU tune EP and you sent meself and I was like, I was like, okay, like this ship is actually like good, so you know what I mean. So I hit you and you were down to do it. And I remember that night I watched the show. That night I watched pretty much, I mean maybe all us say for like the last pak five minutes, ten minutes, whatever, because I had to get ready. But now I watched the show Man and it was so dope to see you had the crowd like you. I mean, you had them, you know what I'm saying, because they, you know, our crowd, like they if you was whacked, they didn't let you know, you know what I mean, but you was with them. And even afterwards, you know, we had people coming out.
Speaker 4: They was like, Yo, that was a great show. We had a great time. And I didn't even know Hannibal Rap you damn ear got a deal that night. I don't even know if you realized. Yeah it was a dude. It's like, yo, if you want to do something whatever, Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 8: But but nah, I just always appreciate it man, that you know, you always like looked out for me and just you know, we always just connected you through each other opportunities.
Speaker 4: And so that was just a great show that we did. And I really appreciate you coming.
Speaker 5: Fine, man, thank you for having me.
Speaker 4: Are you looking for a music deal?
Speaker 5: Uh? I don't.
Speaker 6: I'll be over to the conversation. Yeah, I'll be over to the conversation. I could use some help lifting.
Speaker 9: Everybody has approached you already.
Speaker 6: I'm no, nobody's approached. Yeah, we'll just you know, we keep rocket get yours. Yeah, and I'm and I'm I booked myself for my.
Speaker 4: Keep it in passion.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Where does the name come from.
Speaker 5: Esu essue ish?
Speaker 9: I think you Nigerian.
Speaker 6: It's the trickster god from u Nigerian mythology. I looked up African mythology.
Speaker 4: I was hoping.
Speaker 9: I was like Nigerian, I want to put that on Hannibal. What what's up now?
Speaker 4: I once got scammed by Nigerian.
Speaker 9: Yeah, the continent like literally.
Speaker 4: Called million dollars.
Speaker 2: I have a question.
Speaker 12: Yeah, So, just in general, you do so many different types of things voiceover, acting, podcasts, music, comedy, et cetera. And I'm sure they all have their own individual challenges. But at some point does it all just become one thing or just become entertainment and you just say I'm just gonna entertain Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well, in the right now, the focus is kind of really shrunk into just uh, most music in comedy is the is the main thing. I haven't been really acting, like I did I do. I did one thing last year. I did what we do in the Shadows did a day? I really I really ain't acting on nothing. If if to ask is more than a day, Like if we can't get it done in the day, I don't want to do it.
Speaker 5: I don't care what it and so.
Speaker 4: I get it.
Speaker 6: It's just but if so with the music and comedy, what's been cool is some of the some of the concepts from comedy.
Speaker 5: You know that I just were just alluded to have.
Speaker 6: Become songs like the Veneers was was just like a throwaway joke, like yeah, I got these tv T Veneers. And then and then something else, you know, struck where I was like, oh, that could be a song.
Speaker 5: And even now I tell this, you know, I tell this whole story and my.
Speaker 6: Stand up about you know, uh, going to my grandmother's funeral, leaving the funeral and then being in uh like just driving aimlessly. I ended up stopping in Shreveport gambling, drinking, and it's the whole thing. And I'm leaving Shreveport. This guy gets shot at the gas station while I'm there.
Speaker 5: He dies, and this.
Speaker 6: Whole thing, it's a wild They whoa just because I ended up drinking too much in gambling at the casino, they took my keys even though I wasn't driving, and it held up and then I ended up being a goddamn murder witness.
Speaker 5: And so, uh, it was a wild, wild week.
Speaker 6: And so but then I talk about that in comedy in one way, and then I also talk about it in the song that the same story. But then the comedy has different expectations than the than the storytelling and the music. When in the music I just focused on the details of the story and moving it along. Is not much humor in it, where you know, with that type of stuff in comedy, you gotta flip it or it's just gonna be real depressing and dark in the room. But you know it's a little So it's just having those It's the same things. Certain ideas for a stand up lending himself to a sketch or something might expand to a movie, or it might be a conversation topic. It's just about how you choose to position any idea.
Speaker 8: How did you link with Keifer that he's one of my favorite musicians?
Speaker 4: Like, Keith is so dope, man.
Speaker 6: I heard he produced YadA YadA and it's in Pact and I heard that track and I just love pack performance and right on that and I love to beat too, just the feeling of the key, and so I just reached out to him in twenty twenty. Yo, it's just dope when I'm starting to do music, and he sent me. He sent me a few beats and the one that kept about three. It's just the way his chords are. It's just really take you to a thoughtful place and you start.
Speaker 5: Just like, oh yeah, another thing.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I remember.
Speaker 6: It just brings a lot, like his music brings a lot out of me as a as a writer. There's another track we have, uh the two that just kind of it puts you in that reflective place. And so yeah, he's he's a really dope artist and just his music, he's just really makes me realize. Oh I got a lot to say. Sometimes you hear stuff you're like, oh was it that? When I when it when the right beat of his it's just everything starts flowing.
Speaker 4: Yeah. You know often hizam songs that I don't know, you know who they are, And for some reason, I've been very late to the the Chris and Chris I always said, q Quelle Chris and the Gene Gray Project. Yeah, everything, And that was brilliant man. Yeah, I was like Jesus Christ. And then I was like ship Like I religiously re pitch Fork and I missed that review he was year it's like I think twenty seventeen or eighteening like that. Yeah, but I heard it somewhere and it was the song joined that you were on, Like are you ever going to work with them again?
Speaker 5: Or I got some I got a couple unreleased joints with.
Speaker 6: Actually, I got a bunch of stuff that I gotta just start letting let.
Speaker 8: Him fly now you kull opened my eg like y'all are like just some of my favorite artists. Man, like y'all y'all does like I really fuck with y'all. Man, it's off the beaten path, but it's still you know quality.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, he's.
Speaker 6: A dope, a dope producer, man, he's dope producer. Where it's one track that sound like a soul track that I and then I had it for a while and I said, what's the sample on this? And he sent me what the sample was and it was just some just Japanese cartoon theme song.
Speaker 5: But I thought it was.
Speaker 6: I thought it was a seventy soul sample or something, no ages something.
Speaker 5: It's not what you think it is, but it was. It was dope to.
Speaker 6: That type of sampling where it's not. We completely flipped it and put it in another world.
Speaker 4: You know, Before I close, I would like to ask you, and I guess he went on record about it before, but he talk about like how sobriety has changed you and transformed you to who you are now, just like as a family, man, and.
Speaker 5: Oh I'm not sober.
Speaker 4: I felt right. It was great. No, I saw this interview where you were like really getting.
Speaker 6: Sober on certain day. I was sober at that interview. I was sober around that time. But that was probably I'm guessing that was twenty nineteen, twenty twenty or something like that is the This.
Speaker 4: Is the perfect ending of an interview. Yeah, I swear to that heart felt answer about.
Speaker 6: Like no at that time stuff. Yes, for sure, I had a good run three. By the way, I want to apologize for you know, I I ran on the stage when y'all would do an event sponsored by butt Light.
Speaker 9: That I need this story now.
Speaker 4: Oh my god. It's really not a big deal. It's like, you know, you do those it was like super Bowl time or something like.
Speaker 5: This, south By Southwest, same.
Speaker 11: Thing, you know, And when it took opera gigs, sure, there's there's there's regular gigs, and then there's opera gigs and you know, you know, handm.
Speaker 4: What was there. So we were like, hey, just get on, I can talk. And he talked about the taste of the beer was not too savory. Ship there was like a president but moment Sean g was catching a heart attack because he don't want to drop the best. But we was laughing ass off this.
Speaker 5: No, y'all did laugh time, non't.
Speaker 2: He remembers a different.
Speaker 5: I remember completely. I didn't ask to go on stage. Y'all did tell me.
Speaker 6: I just went up there because yes, Sir Seth Herzog was hosted.
Speaker 4: It was secifically.
Speaker 6: It was a it was a special drink that they had, like bud Line or something.
Speaker 5: And I mean, like, hey, what y'all, y'all got no other ship.
Speaker 4: He was like a d Ruby Davis d okay. And I learned what a spoonerism was two days ago. So that's an example of spoonerism where you say, then, yeah, a word, what I call you? Conte pullman? You know what I mean? You ever calls you that?
Speaker 3: Let me know, that's sounds like a totally different situation.
Speaker 4: That's yeah, but it's it's I maybe because the years have went by. Wait, was that a serious moment or.
Speaker 5: It wasn't serious? But it was just it was uh, I think I was twenty seventeen.
Speaker 6: But then after now that I uh understand the economics of traveling with a band, then I felt even more bad about it. I was like, oh, they got like twenty people with them.
Speaker 4: I mean, we've never lost the account, you know, I know it was I think, I mean the but light people were definitely I believe up in the arms and showing. Was like a little nervous, but whatever.
Speaker 9: They've had bigger battles since.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, well I'm I'm glad we got to make this happen. Do you have anything that shirt Hebrew?
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is Hebrew Hebrews.
Speaker 6: He had a installation in Chicago in twenty twenty never More. It was a bunch of his art and different pieces.
Speaker 4: My favorite. I just bought a piece off of him. We bought a couple of weeks.
Speaker 7: Ago and put us on Hebrew Hebrew brantly but not spelled like he brow.
Speaker 4: Not not e w, but h e b r U. That's Hebrew Brantley.
Speaker 2: Not like people different different, different, different trick people.
Speaker 4: Yeah he's he's one of us. Okay, a differ different tricks. But yeah, but no, he trying to see what this conversation is going to figure out what Steve I'm about to play.
Speaker 9: I'm got to talk about original Hebrew.
Speaker 6: So I went to Hebrew Studio when I first moved to La in twenty nineteen. He was showing me think and then he was like, yeah, it's one hundred thousand dollars. I was like, oh, I didn't know. It was like I knew you were doing good. He was like, here, I'm gonna gift you these prints. Brother, Like, thank you very much. He's out of my budget.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, okay, I know he yeah he's dope co Yeah, yeah, yeah, there's yeah, that's my bizarro for soth.
Speaker 8: But but nah, man, I'm glad you. You know, we finally got a chance to do this. You've just always just been one of my favorite comedians and just.
Speaker 4: You know, one of my you know, this is our second episode.
Speaker 7: I got a list of a couple of other folks that you can do what you did for us with the other dude.
Speaker 9: I just was thinking that, that's all I was.
Speaker 4: Thinking, mm hmm.
Speaker 9: I just we'll talk about it.
Speaker 4: What are you talking about about? Other folks? From me to y'all, y'all, y'all, y'all play out. Yeah, where did this come from?
Speaker 5: Uh? The harmonica?
Speaker 4: Yes? This?
Speaker 11: Uh?
Speaker 5: I got one.
Speaker 6: We were just in I think it was yeah, beginning of twenty twenty, I said guitar Center with Harry Allen Kane, and she was like, let's get harmonica's and I was like, why not? And so then I was just and then I was playing harmonica, and then I think I was playing it online, just joking around, and then uh, Frederick was like, let.
Speaker 5: Me get you a good harmonica.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, Frederick, Frederick, let me get.
Speaker 5: You a good harmonica.
Speaker 6: So he sent this one and then uh, and then before I was about to come here for the podcast, I saw it.
Speaker 5: I was like, I'm a fucking up with the harmonica.
Speaker 4: One of the secret talents. Do you have talents?
Speaker 5: But I just want to I'm working on drums.
Speaker 6: I got drunkard at the crib and so and I want to learn keys, and I think I'll make my best music after I got kind of proficiency had an.
Speaker 5: Instrument for three or four years, you know.
Speaker 6: And and so I do want to at some point be able to drum in some in a band or sit in and and not have people.
Speaker 5: Be like fucking up, you know what I mean. I want to be able to do that.
Speaker 6: And I think it's definitely helped my production and and and music creation. So I think once I you know, keys and drums it'll it'll take the music up.
Speaker 4: At the time in the pandemic. Uh, we did a bit where you were, uh cooking and whatnot. So how's how's your like? Once the pandemic was over, have you stopped your.
Speaker 6: I'll tell you about that, because that I was when we did that was the quest love, what was the name of that food? I didn't I had a misunderstanding on what the demands for that was gonna be. And I job because then because I was like, yeah, I'll do that, and and then and so uh, I had a little bit of mushrooms because I was like, hey, we just were just out here at it, but.
Speaker 5: I didn't know what. And then I opened They said the kid is outside your door.
Speaker 6: And I opened my door and it's lights and a camera and I was like, oh, no, I ain't know.
Speaker 4: So I asked. This was during the pandemic. I guess the Food Network had asked me to put together an hour special asking my notable friends, you know, for recipes and whatnot.
Speaker 5: What did you make? I forget. I just remember.
Speaker 6: I just remember the panic of having these people on zoom and they were like, you know, put the lights there and keep plugging in and just I was like, oh, man, I didn't know I was about to be a.
Speaker 5: Guy for Up in the Air.
Speaker 6: Yeah, do you remember the part where I was so overwhelmed.
Speaker 5: I was just like, man, you just.
Speaker 6: If you just closed the laptop, everything's over. I was like, no, you can't do that. At the quest love tough it out.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 9: Just now, I gotta look this up because you might have made some No, I don't even know.
Speaker 6: I think I just showed you the pantry or something, or it wasn't even it wasn't that.
Speaker 4: Ye see your kitchen, and yeah, I swear you made something. Tiffany asked me fried chicken on the air fryer.
Speaker 9: Did the hannimal.
Speaker 2: The fact that Handle doesn't even remember.
Speaker 5: I didn't make it. I didn't make anything.
Speaker 6: Showed your bare season I just showed some seasonings and and just waiting for my high to go down. I sweated on camera, set up lights. I remember setting up lights more than anything.
Speaker 4: All right, So gamming is your secret talent. I know you stopped drinking for a minute.
Speaker 8: You have like other drugs that you just preferred more so now, like mushrooms, more so.
Speaker 5: Than I'm noticing, Like I don't really I think on the road. Now.
Speaker 6: I think with the drinking, I think it's adjusting. I got sober in a in a certain time, and now I'm adjusting to a different level of stimuli and a different life.
Speaker 5: And so that's uh.
Speaker 6: You know, with with doing music and and another level of activity where the traveling and that part of.
Speaker 5: It is what's sort of getting me.
Speaker 6: But when I'm here and at home, I'm in the studio, I'm just you know, seeing my daughter. So it doesn't it doesn't, it doesn't pull me like that one.
Speaker 4: Ho is she? Now?
Speaker 5: She too? Doing some change. It's doing some change.
Speaker 6: She got some uh, she got strong, she had strong musical opinions. Now oh wow, once she really want to hear Moanna one of the Moana songs. And if you play the wrong one, not that one, not that one. She used to vibe to my stuff. But and she but now it's like, nah, not that one. I'll be playing her other stuff.
Speaker 4: You got to the age of seven to program your child to have good taste before she.
Speaker 5: Just yeah, no, radio gonna make it happen. We're gonna we're gonna make it happens.
Speaker 4: Dope. Actually, okay, before I close, I kind of need advice. So this is like a community question for you people, and Annimal you can you can chime in. Uh, our crew behind the cameras can chime in as well. I need a creative idea for Halloween and I don't know what to be.
Speaker 5: What yeah for you means party costume.
Speaker 4: I'm literally running out of party Yeah Heidi.
Speaker 8: Heidi coon, Yeah he winn't he can't do that.
Speaker 4: She like a or something. Wow, thank you, Steve, I appreciate that.
Speaker 6: Today go is uh tie trip it and just be really energetic everywhere.
Speaker 4: You could go was my bass player on this on this l O run. And also I also blame Thattius for like Fattius in the Roots shout out. You know, we had a COVID situation with Mark, so Fatty's had to replace Mark on the LL tour and he made us a thirty year old group again, like all that dance and all that energy and you kind of you saw the last night. So Fattius actually broke his leg. Fatti's broke his leg in Atlanta, so he was not supposed to be on his leg or dance or whatever, so he pretty much I don't even know if the audience knows that he was hopping on one foot the entire time. Wow, the entire show. Yeah, those trippets are are a special.
Speaker 2: How about Black Doc from Back to the Future.
Speaker 9: That's not as fun. That's just a colt.
Speaker 4: I'm just trying to do anything that short of Charlie Brown just putting a bunch of holes in the sheet and saying I got a rock. You could be Denzel's character in me. Yeah, that could be.
Speaker 9: You could do Frederick Douglass.
Speaker 4: I mean, coach prompt.
Speaker 8: But if you do Frederick, that could be fair. If you do, you got to go all the way. You gotta show up to the party with a white woman.
Speaker 7: That's a harsh reality that I wasn't ready to face today.
Speaker 8: Commit you gotta go all way in he was.
Speaker 4: I like, that's a great question.
Speaker 9: The Lion the Wiz is making a comeback.
Speaker 5: Let me see I got Muneo line.
Speaker 4: It was Muno line. Uh yeah, I might field it in this year. Man, Like, I don't know she's gonna do.
Speaker 9: That's man ship. How she don't run the ideas?
Speaker 4: No, she you know, she's whatever she's doing. I know she's preparing the last week of September. So my favorite costume I saw I'll do And this was years ago. It was a root show and y'all came out in the dead presence make up. Oh that's right. They used to do that. Y'all don't dress well. We used to do Halloween shows. But you know, yeah, all right, I be half me Sandell. That's the last word I say, Claire, all right and Bannable hers. Yes, this is Let's cove, and thank you for listening to our very long part. This is Is this a three hour man? Listen?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 9: Two half to half?
Speaker 4: That's not bad. Okay. I love these quality shows when we get together and talk. So this was a long time in the coming to. You can call it through.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 9: That's how we do it live from your venue. All right, all right, come on, man, thats gonna be.
Speaker 4: Called at the Knitting Factory.
Speaker 9: What's gonna be called?
Speaker 4: Have you wait? You're not calling it the knitting Factory?
Speaker 5: No, that's no.
Speaker 6: God, create a new I got a working title I Solo Sessions, but I'm still I'm still brainstorm the Fittingnactory.
Speaker 4: And that's out. Jake and Brittany, thank you very much.
Speaker 5: And the next go around, this is.
Speaker 12: Sugar Steve Thank you for listening to Quest Love Supreme. This podcast is hosted by a Mere Quest Love Thompson, Liah Saint Clair, Pompte Coleman, Sugar, Steve Mandel, and unpaid Bill Sherman.
Speaker 4: The executive producers are a mere Quest.
Speaker 12: Love Thompson, Sean g and Brian Calhoun. Produced by Britney Benjamin, Jake Payne and Liah Saint Clair. Edited by Alex Conroy. Produced for iHeart by No Brown and Mike Johns. What Are You Engineering by Graham Gibson at Iheart's La Studio.
Speaker 1: Post Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.