Speaker 1: You found the Second Date Update podcast. It's Brooke and Jeffrey and we're here with your awkward Tuesday phone call today.
Speaker 2: It's brand new, and I feel for this guy.
Speaker 1: He's gotta have an awkward conversation with his neighbors, and when he gets nervous, something strange happens to him.
Speaker 3: Some people will afford to confrontation and the other people are like this guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh man, you you're in for it this time. He definitely needs our support. But before we get to the brand new call, what do we got on comments?
Speaker 4: Alexis Yeah, Abraham said, I listen to you guys all the way from Germany at work, even though he gets me into trouble, But you guys are worth the risk. I love you guys to keep up with the dating world apocalypse.
Speaker 5: How do we get you in trouble? You have like a serious job and you're laughing on.
Speaker 2: Everyone in Germany is serious? Oh yeah, allowed to just kidding. I'm just kidding. Here we go, let's start this.
Speaker 3: You see it in TV shows and movies, but it's true in real life. Sometimes neighbors, even if they get along, can get on each other's nerves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, my neighbor trying to fight me. Remember a couple of times, I think, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Especially bad when they decide to shut the blinds on that one window where your telescope's pointed at.
Speaker 5: Yeah, come on, Norman, it happened to the fun.
Speaker 3: But one of our listeners is dealing with a different kind of neighbor drama, and I can honestly say we have never had to give advice quite like this before. You're gonna hear why in your brand new awkward Tuesday phone call right after this.
Speaker 5: It's awkward.
Speaker 6: It's Tuesday.
Speaker 5: It's awkward Tuesday phone call. We've all had to deal with annoying neighbors before. Oh yeah, it's possible. It's Brook and Jeffrey in the morning.
Speaker 3: Like Brook, Remember when your next door neighbor wouldn't sell you his childhood home after you offered severely lower than market value.
Speaker 2: And has the goal to still live there.
Speaker 3: I know, wow, even after you had your daughter plant termites underneath his front porch and reported into the city.
Speaker 2: He doesn't care, Jo, But.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know what a But one of our listeners is having neighbor problems too, and apparently it's bad enough where he emailed the show about it.
Speaker 5: So, Craig, welcome to the brook and Jeffrey Studios. How you doing, I'm doing.
Speaker 2: Okay, sound down.
Speaker 5: Man, before we get into this and waste time. We know how the termite thing works out. We can send Brooks.
Speaker 3: Over you like, that's always an option for us. But tell us what's going on with you in this neighbor.
Speaker 7: Well, I tried to talk to this person a few times.
Speaker 5: Okay, biggest mistake.
Speaker 2: You tried to reason.
Speaker 7: I try, but They've been a base of really really and I'm really bad with a confrontation that you can tell.
Speaker 8: You know, I need help, I really need help.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, So give us a little bit of details about like what's pcifically is going on between you and this problematic neighbor and their name.
Speaker 7: There's a couple and the lady name is Danny. Okay, but the neighbors are a couple. I have a problem with both of them, okay, And I'm not getting through to the guys. So now I figured that now I have to move to the wife.
Speaker 1: And not always that is not always.
Speaker 5: So what is the root of the problem.
Speaker 7: Well, one of the problems they keep borrowing stuff and they don't return it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, give us an example, like, what's the most expensive thing that they still have of yours?
Speaker 7: They have a humidifier that I have. I have one in every rum in my house. That just makes the air quality so much better. But they asked to borrow it, and, like I said, I don't like confrontations, so I was like, okay, guy had one in every room of the house.
Speaker 5: I'd be like, yo, let me get one of these ten. Does it really make that big of.
Speaker 2: A difference when you lent it to him? Did you tell them when you needed it back?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 5: I didn't the problem.
Speaker 7: I figured that he'll use it for a day or two. But every time I confront him about it, he says.
Speaker 8: Oh, let me use it for a couple more days.
Speaker 7: A couple more days, and it's been a while.
Speaker 2: Right now, you have one room in your house it's very dry, I hear you.
Speaker 5: So is it just the humidifiers?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 7: They borrow everything.
Speaker 8: They borrow my tools, they borrowed.
Speaker 7: Dishes, They have borrowed my lawncheers, they.
Speaker 2: Borrowed your weird things.
Speaker 5: He borrowed my wife for a week. Yeah, what are you saying?
Speaker 2: Yes? Every time they ask for something.
Speaker 7: Well here the thing?
Speaker 8: Lease?
Speaker 7: They were like they live a shoe houses down. You know, we have game night and when we were close, we go out to rest around.
Speaker 8: You have a good relationship, Okay, it's good.
Speaker 5: Oh so you have been friends, got it and you been neighborly.
Speaker 1: You just need our advice to what call them and set some boundaries here, How can we help you.
Speaker 8: I'm not really worried about what to say.
Speaker 7: I think I have an idea how to approach it. My problem is I have this thing that happens whenever I get nervous in a tense situation.
Speaker 8: My voice kind of gets get high and I can't control it.
Speaker 5: Your voice, your voice goes high, like high pitched.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it just did it. I'm sorry it gets high. I can't control it, and I really don't want that to happen.
Speaker 2: That's gonna be so frustrating.
Speaker 1: Honestly, It's like, yes, every time I try to confront somebody or how big emotions, I cried. No matter what my feelings are, it's not the message I want to be sending. So I get where you're coming from.
Speaker 2: Why are we calling just a wife?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 2: Not that he already tried.
Speaker 5: I tried with the husband and he's not getting anywhere.
Speaker 2: I'm guessing your voice got real high when you were Yah.
Speaker 5: Was that like a quick convo with a husband or how that go down?
Speaker 7: Well, it didn't work out well because my voice got kind and well it got high and the husband started laughing at.
Speaker 8: Mansle, you're a really weird part that my friends. We hang out with these guys all the time.
Speaker 5: Okay, gotcha. No, they know they can get.
Speaker 7: Away with you.
Speaker 3: So you need advice on how to have your voice not go high when you're asking this lady Danny to get your stuff back from her.
Speaker 5: You wanted to come across strong and powerful.
Speaker 2: Let's get the voice changer jaft.
Speaker 5: Because we'd have to lower her voice also.
Speaker 2: So I feel for you, man, I do.
Speaker 8: I appreciate it, but I need help to stay firm and stay strong to get my stuff back.
Speaker 3: I want you're one of those people that's like, give me my stuff back and they're like not right now, and you're.
Speaker 2: Like, okay, Alexis is classically good at bound.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'll do.
Speaker 2: My therapist and I can help you.
Speaker 3: And there's a lot of gentlemen out there who have trouble staying firms, So.
Speaker 5: Don't worry about that.
Speaker 3: We will come back some advice for you.
Speaker 7: What I'm talking about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I hope you're a kidding with that, because that voice is pretty high.
Speaker 5: Is that a joke?
Speaker 8: I was just having fun there.
Speaker 2: I know that is actually really funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll call that the worst case scenario. We'll come back with our advice for you to let you make your awkward Tuesday phone call right after this.
Speaker 5: It's awkward.
Speaker 2: It's Tuesday.
Speaker 5: It's awkward Tuesday phone call.
Speaker 3: We're in the middle of an awkward Tuesday phone call with one of our listeners, Craig, who's nervous to ask his neighbor to return some of the items that she's borrowed from his house lately. The thing is they're actually friends. Yeah, Craig and his wife hang out with this woman and her husband all the time. The thing that's making him nervous is sometimes during tense situations, during conflicts, his voice accidentally gets really high.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he can't construct.
Speaker 2: Frustrating that frustrating.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it already happened when he's to the husband about this situation. So now he wants to try again with the wife this time, But how do we help him stop his voice from going crazy?
Speaker 5: Brook? What's your advice for Craig here?
Speaker 1: I actually feel you because, like I said, I cry at every emotion, even just intense emotions. And what I do because it can just really get in the way of things, is I have to go in thinking I'm someone else.
Speaker 2: It's almost like I'm playing a role. You know. It's almost like I removed myself from the situation.
Speaker 1: Does that make sense, Craigrow, What deep voiced person should he imagine himself being.
Speaker 2: I've thought about this. Have you seen the movie Aladdin? What stop it?
Speaker 8: James Earl Jones?
Speaker 1: James, No, no, listen, you need a little more evil than James Earl Jones because you got to be tough.
Speaker 2: So you need to go in thinking you're Jafar.
Speaker 1: Okay, you are, Jeffore setting your boundary. It's like, that's a guy who's good at boundaries.
Speaker 5: Seventy year old man with a parrot on the shoulder.
Speaker 8: Serious, that's a good one. That's a good one. I agree, that's a good one.
Speaker 5: Trying to scratching his Jose Do you have advice?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 5: I like that, but I.
Speaker 6: Don't want you to back down.
Speaker 5: No, matter what happens. So if your voice starts getting high, stay strong.
Speaker 2: You can still be up here and be intimidating. You can still yelling people at a high voice.
Speaker 7: But if he walks away laughing.
Speaker 5: Oh, I'm scared. Not for the reason that you think.
Speaker 1: But we're calling a wife, right yes, yeah, okay, yeah, okay, okay, don't back down.
Speaker 8: I'll stay strong. I'll stay strong. I'll stay strong.
Speaker 5: There we go.
Speaker 3: Good advice from Jose never stopped talking even when people watch him. Here, I'm in the dial, Danny for you, your neighbor. Let you make your awkward Tuesday phone call. We'll step in if we feel like you need help.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good luck, don't be embarrassed like weird stuff happens all of us.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm just glad you guys are on my side.
Speaker 5: You got this. Jafar Agra will be yours. There we go.
Speaker 2: I got it.
Speaker 6: Right now.
Speaker 8: Hello, Danny, what's up? It's Craig.
Speaker 6: Oh hi, Crag, it's not your normal number. I didn't know you. Sorry, how are you?
Speaker 8: I'm doing great? Cool?
Speaker 6: Oh, Brian and I were just talking about getting together again. If you wanted to get your schedule.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, oh man, we had amazing dinner outback of the night.
Speaker 6: Huh. Human def said that her onion was you know what I'm talking about, and she said her onion was blooming like literally, it's not out of my nose.
Speaker 8: So so classic. No, yeah, we we.
Speaker 6: Have to definitely go again.
Speaker 8: But what's up? So you know when you guys were over here on on Game Night last year?
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah are you okay?
Speaker 7: Yes, you guys you borrowed a count.
Speaker 8: Sorry couch?
Speaker 6: What are you?
Speaker 8: Yeah? Yeah yeah, I'm fine. But but regards to the cushion, oh.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, sorry, No, we're still testing it because, like I said, on it and Brian sat on it, but like we even had a dog sent on it. But we just I think we need like probably just like one more week.
Speaker 7: Yeah look sorry, that's not gonna work for me.
Speaker 8: I need it back tonight.
Speaker 6: Yes, why do you need tonight?
Speaker 8: Like literally, well, well, because.
Speaker 7: We're going to watch a movie on the couch and I keep sitting in a hole.
Speaker 6: Can you just like watching it in your bed? Like you guys have a TV in your bedroom which is way more cozy. Like I don't get why you wouldn't need this pillow back to night?
Speaker 7: No, no, listen, this needs to stop. We've been letting you borrow so many things. The humidified, the tool, the cushions, a little corn cop holders.
Speaker 6: We definitely threw those out first of all. So I'm sorry, but what you slew them out?
Speaker 8: Would you do that?
Speaker 6: They're crappy?
Speaker 8: I don't know, but they weren't yours?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you're doing amazing. Yeah?
Speaker 8: What? Thank you? Who is.
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 3: I think you're referring to us and our voices, Danny, because we're a radio show called Brook and Jeffrey in the More and you're on it.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, good morning.
Speaker 1: You have that man's couch cushion in your house right now, just one of them?
Speaker 6: He said, we could borrow it. I don't like.
Speaker 1: I'm not why the why would you not just go sit on his couch and try it out?
Speaker 2: Why would you need to take his cushion?
Speaker 6: I asked, and he said okay, and it was no big deal, and so I didn't think twice about it.
Speaker 2: It is a big deal. Can't be on their couch comfortably?
Speaker 8: It was one pillow, it was, and my corn tabholder.
Speaker 1: I mean, do you see that there's like a pattern here that is a little frustrating, Danny, of you borrowing things and not returning them.
Speaker 2: I think that's what he's trying to get at.
Speaker 6: You're acting like I'm hearing it though, like, no, I'm asking permission for everything, and he's aware that I'm doing.
Speaker 2: He is the one saying yes, yeah, but you're abusing his kindness. You're abusing his like neighborliness.
Speaker 8: Okay, we are neighbors.
Speaker 6: We share things with each other. I would give him anything. He's just never asked to borrow something of mine.
Speaker 8: Okay, Well, he's always taking mind.
Speaker 5: And that's the.
Speaker 3: Reason that he's called us for help today, Danny, is because Craig has a little bit of an issue with asking for things back. He doesn't well, yeah, so he was hoping you'd be understanding for like why he has a difficult time asking you that.
Speaker 1: Apparently he asked your husband and your husband just laughed at him.
Speaker 5: Because of his voice.
Speaker 2: That's not fair.
Speaker 6: Are we like not all adults?
Speaker 8: I don't.
Speaker 6: I don't get it.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I think an adult, an adult thing to do would be to honor his request to get his stuff back.
Speaker 2: You have as humidifier, Danny, we know.
Speaker 5: And a bunch of other very cry.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I will give back all of the things, and then next time, Craig, you can just say it to my face instead of getting a trashy radio show to call us.
Speaker 5: She did nail us like that was we are Danny.
Speaker 1: He did ask you multiple times before you knew we were here.
Speaker 2: And you know.
Speaker 5: Brooks starting to cry. She's getting emotional.
Speaker 2: That it's not a fair assessment.
Speaker 5: Okay, Danny. Today, today we would like you to give him some stuff back.
Speaker 6: I will give back this stuff today. I will be at your place at seven o'clock.
Speaker 1: I just you know, he said really nice things about you and your husband and about what great friends you are.
Speaker 6: We are friends, which is why it's so weird. It's like whatever. I just think it's really strange.
Speaker 8: Okay, but the husbands laughed at my. He laughed at me.
Speaker 3: Okay, But what would Jafar say in this situation, Craig.
Speaker 7: He should not have laughed at me and walked away and give me my corn holding back.
Speaker 5: The wrath of ja'far.
Speaker 1: Oh Man, you better buy a new cornholders, Danny.
Speaker 6: I don't even know what's going on anymore. I don't know who Jafarian?
Speaker 5: All right? I think we got our point across. I think we've achieved what we came to achieve.
Speaker 1: You know what, Craig, you should be really proud of yourself for the way you handled that confrontation.
Speaker 2: I thought you did great.
Speaker 5: Your voice didn't really peak once.
Speaker 8: Oh my god, thank you.
Speaker 2: That'far Brook and Jeffrey in the morning.