Speaker 1: Donald. I'm very excited today.
Speaker 2: I'm very excited today too.
Speaker 3: Listen, man, hold on, before we get it started and before we get into this. I'm so happy with all of the press that we're getting and all of the people that are listening.
Speaker 2: To us and stuff.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listeners of tuning in.
Speaker 2: This is really amazing.
Speaker 1: We certainly weren't expecting it to We just did press to Australia. We certainly weren't expecting this kind of reaction.
Speaker 2: Not at all.
Speaker 3: And I did some press for Emergence today and they wanted to talk about the podcast. Yes, and it was overseas though like in the UK and stuff. I guess are we playing in the UK?
Speaker 2: Is this true?
Speaker 1: All over the globe? You can listen to this In Stad you can listen.
Speaker 2: Can you really listen to it?
Speaker 1: And stod Yes, if you have a computer you can listen to us.
Speaker 3: As long as you have iHeart. Wherever you get your podcasts, you can hear us. A very sponsor our plug is iHeart, so big shout out to iHeart.
Speaker 1: I don't have it. We don't have a sponsor yet really yet we will, I guess. But I just want to say that Red Bull if you want to sponsor us, you should, because I just drank a full one and I am so hyped up right now. I'm so thrilled about our guest.
Speaker 2: So am I I'm very excited about who we have on the show.
Speaker 1: But first we should sing, Donald, let's.
Speaker 2: Get into it, bosh six seven stories.
Speaker 4: I'm that show we made about a bunch of dogs and nurses.
Speaker 2: Here's the stories natural, so.
Speaker 1: YadA, YadA, all right now. You might know her as America's favorite Canadian. You might know her as second Becky. You might know her as the beautiful blonde that starred on the show Scrubs for many years. Go ahead, Donald, do you do the intro?
Speaker 2: Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, cats, dogs, whatever you may be, Please welcome to the show. The one and only.
Speaker 1: Sarah Shaw Sarah Hi, Hi, Sara. Don't worry. We'll add thunderous applause.
Speaker 2: It'll sound like you walked into a stadium.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dan, can you add thunderous applause? Thank you all right here, Sarah chalk Hi, Sarah.
Speaker 5: I even didn't know where to talk because I didn't hear the thunder supplies. I thought maybe I was just getting a glitch in these fancy headphones. Can I see you guys? Like, right now, I'm staring at the garage band screen? Can I make it small so I can see you guys.
Speaker 2: You got to do is click back on zoom.
Speaker 5: So so Dan, can I make Can I hit the yellow button and make garage bands small?
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna put it out there. You ruined our introduction.
Speaker 1: No, I don't want to edit it out. Dan, listen. No, now that Sarah's ruined the magic, I want the fans to know that we've been on We've been on zoom for a half hour. While Sarah was getting technical supported. Sarah literally had Sarah had a technical intervention with our editor. She was like, how do you start your laptop?
Speaker 5: And yet I've still I felt I've never felt more proud are you than I do in this moment, because okay, I just want to successfully. Jean Michelle is gonna edit this out. Just give me one second. I'm gonna hit the yellow button in the corner, Dan and minimize garage band so I can see Zach and Donald.
Speaker 1: I do it.
Speaker 2: Just do it. You don't even have to ask.
Speaker 1: I'm worried that Sarah's gonna call Dan for other technical help in her life. She's gonna be like, hey Dan, I'm wi FI signal.
Speaker 5: I have dan Zy mail.
Speaker 1: Special.
Speaker 2: How are you, Sarah?
Speaker 5: I'm good, guys. I miss you. I miss you, and now seeing you on this zoom is making me miss you more weird.
Speaker 1: Where are you quarantining in Canada? I imagine, so I'm quarantining.
Speaker 5: I'm quarantining Canada. My sister and I have decided to quarantine our families together, so we have communally six children, three dogs, and a cat.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: Wow, How are you doing school? How's school going?
Speaker 5: School is interesting? School is basic. We have children between the ages of three and sixteen, so we'd only have so many screens and so much bandwidth to attend different online classes. So we've been kind of doing some of that and then some group classes. My sister is a lawyer, so she's teaching law, so like really right things like, you know, lessons on the Rights of the Child, the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child. Next week's the Constitution, and I do equally important things like give them cartoons sides and they audition for cartoons.
Speaker 1: You could give them a scene from Rick and Morty and you guys could all play parts.
Speaker 5: We have actually we've done we've done some cartoons. We haven't reached Rick and Morty yet because that's not appropriate for the four year old, right and as it's sort of you know, tight quarters, we haven't gotten there yet. But yeah, it's it's pretty nuts. I mean, we're all quarantined together. I'm the designated grocery shopper, probably because of all my OCD tendencies. So I feel like that's the most harrowing experience in my life right now, which is, uh, you know, I go to the grocery store. I have my own you know, version of Ppe, which is like rating the drama eight prop spin. So I have like a tuk and sunglasses and I, you know, just put my hoodie up and gloves on.
Speaker 1: For you Canadians, is a hat?
Speaker 5: It's a hat.
Speaker 2: Yes, I I'm gonna say.
Speaker 1: What is the Sara? If you wouldn't mind translating your canadianisms as we go through the podcast. There are some non Canadians listening listen.
Speaker 5: Yes, the main the main ones really are to Garbrator, Parkade and Seawalls.
Speaker 1: What's a Garbarerator?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: The garbage disposal.
Speaker 5: The garbage disposal got it, yeah, which happened to be the first thing that broke when I went when I came to Los Angeles and the landlord did not understand me.
Speaker 1: At a park is a parkade a parking parking structure.
Speaker 5: Your Canadians is doing very well. You've been studying.
Speaker 1: I'm just guessing. I'm playing a game called guest the Canadian expression. Are there any other.
Speaker 5: Parcade? Seawall?
Speaker 1: What's a seawall? The obvious? And then you have that thing with the gravy and fries. What's that called? But that's maybe the temine Okay, I know about poutine.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's the gravy and the cheese curds on top of the of the fries.
Speaker 1: It's just fries, but they take great pride in it in Canada.
Speaker 5: How is your guys quarantine going?
Speaker 2: Oh it's amazing that Sorry, how much time do you spend?
Speaker 1: Donald out in that closet. Donald tells his family that he's recording the podcast. Donald's family thinks he records the podcast every day and he's in the closet. But meanwhile, we do it a week.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: My wife keeps asking, like, yo, how come, when is the next episode coming out?
Speaker 2: You record so many of them, You're banking soon.
Speaker 1: Things that Donald records, like four podcasts a day in there.
Speaker 2: Well, I definitely do a lot of press. I'll be like, I'm doing so much press right now.
Speaker 1: You should set up you should set up your your your PlayStation in there. Donald.
Speaker 2: I just don't know how I get the TV in here. That's the problem.
Speaker 5: Dan Danos, Dan Danos.
Speaker 2: He knows Dan could hook it up.
Speaker 5: Dann do it Dan really quickly. It says, Zoom would like to record the computer screen. Grant access to this application in security privacy preferences.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, no, you don't want to record this, Sarah.
Speaker 1: Dan is out, He's not He's not there for your technical needs.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's get into it.
Speaker 1: Let's get in the wait. Before we get into the episode, Sarah, Donald and I have done this a few episodes now, and now that we have you, we wanted to ask you tell us about your casting process because as I remember, you were coming off of Roseam, you were doing that particularly unique thing where you had replaced the Becky that was years before.
Speaker 5: It wasn't yeah, it was I was like seventeen eighteen, nineteen twenty when that happened.
Speaker 2: So four years before.
Speaker 1: And uh. And by the way, I was thinking as as I was preparing for this, because Sarah, I do a lot of research. I get really into this now. By the way, I found for you Scrubs fans out there and for us, I found a website called Scrubs Wiki wiki where it has like everything you ever want to know about Scrubs. Like I'm like, literally, whoever made that?
Speaker 2: Well, it doesn't have everything.
Speaker 1: It doesn't have us, No, it doesn't have us, but it has a lot of It has a lot of insightful information.
Speaker 3: And I feel like I feel like they should not go to wiki Scrubs Wiki.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it has like it literally has like these are the fantasies in the episode. These are the girls name JD was called these are It's like all break broken down. Someone put a lot of work into it. Donal give them a shout out.
Speaker 3: Shout out to you for putting all that work in. But we got it from here.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Donald's jealous. All right, listen, Donald, you guys. Before I was thinking about Sarah and I was saying, is there another example other than Roseanne where they just replaced the actress and had them play the same character. And I she witched witched and was he still? Was he just a different Darren?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I think they just flipped him out, flipped him out.
Speaker 1: Tell just briefly about that, because I thought it's a very unique thing, and you've told me and Donald and I just wanted if you could just talk about what that was like really quickly because I think it's so interesting.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I mean, I was sixteen when I auditioned, and it was Glenn Quinn, the guy who played my husband Mark. The audition was with him and he just made out with seven girls. We were all dressed exactly the same and matching pink shirts, and the whole scene was this like makeout scene where he's like baby baby cam here, and I'm like, get a job at the gas station, Get a job at the gas station. He's like baby baby cam here. And it was literally like every other actress that was auditioning was like twenty two living in Los Angeles. I flew in, they flew me in for the night to go and read, and I just remember I was sixteen, he was twenty four, and just thinking he is so handsome, how am I going to remember one line? And they said, we'll let you know in a couple of days. And then they called back and they were like, Okay, come back tomorrow and read with Roseanne. Then I did, and then Tom Arnold called me at home a few days later, and he was trying to feel out whether I was going to leave the show to go to college, because I was younger then and still you know, at an age where I would do that. And Sarah Gilbert at the time had left to go to Gaale and she was flying back to do episodes, and Lacy had left to go to Vassar, and so I knew right away that that's what he was asked. I could tell that's what he was getting at.
Speaker 1: Oh, you were probably not allowed to do that, right, So he was sort of tiptoeing around.
Speaker 3: Right, baby, don't you call what happened?
Speaker 5: Probably yes? So then I said I was like, no, no, college, gross, absolutely not. And I knew I would go to college, but it was the rosi Ane was a big opportunity for me, and I knew.
Speaker 1: That, you knew you weren't going to lose the job over it, So you're like college college bombit?
Speaker 5: And I I just did it on the side, and so so I got the job. But the craziest part of the story that I actually I hadn't remembered and we were talking about recently, was they called me and told me I had the job. And I went to a party that night. So I'm to this like little high school in Canada and I get this phone call that I was going to replace Becky, and I told a couple people, and it spread around our high school pretty fast. It sounded like a lie. I mean, it doesn't like I'm going to replace Becky on the Roseanne Show. The Roseann Show was the number one show at the time. It sounded fake. And then I get a call the following week and it was The Roseanne Show saying, we're getting cold feet about recasting Becky, so we don't know if we're going to do it. So we're going to hold you for four months. We're going to give you ten grand to hold you. So, first of all, I'd never heard of money like ten thousand dollars. I thought to do nothing, like just to sit here for four months while you make a decision. And then the other half of me thought, like my ass is grass at high school, like they're going to tell me in four months if we're actually going to do this. So I had to kind of wait.
Speaker 1: You should have brought that money, sa, You should have brought that money to school and just fanned it out. They got me a hold wasn't live. For those of you who don't know, this is called a holding deal.
Speaker 2: Right, this is a holding feat.
Speaker 1: Excuse me when I fan my face with my holding view.
Speaker 5: Totally and then uh, and then I know, and by the time you converted to Canadian dollars, it was obviously a whole different situation. So so yes, it was a crazy It was a crazy experience. I was a baby and I had no idea what I was doing, and I just watched like Roseanne and Lori Metcalf and Sandra Bernhardt and Sarah Gilbert and John Goodman and Johnny Glecky and this ridiculous list of comedians and it was kind of in awe and a little bit terrified. And then after two seasons, they you know, gave everybody hugs by like I'll see you guys after hiatus, which is the break that you take between seasons for anyone listening to that weird term, and uh, then I get a phone call saying Lisa's coming back to play Becky, and apparently I said I want to talk to Roseanne for closure. I don't remember doing that, and so I did. And then and then they called me like six episodes into the following season and said come back this week. Darlene's getting married in an episode and can you come down and be Becky? And I was like it went and he said tomorrow.
Speaker 1: So Lacy had just Liasy had just changed her mind and she left.
Speaker 5: They didn't tell me, they just said can you come back tomorrow? And I said, well, I'm going to college up here now and I'm doing this movie of the week where John Ritter, interestingly enough, who played obviously your dad on Scrubs, I was doing a TV movie with him up here, and I said, so I can come on. I can come on Friday night for tape night. So it was the craziest day. I remember. I wrote an ocean off fee exam at like six point thirty in the morning, went straight into the scene with this pregnancy belly. I just remember ripping the pregnancy belly off on the way to the airport and got to LA and they had a car waiting for me with hair and makeup in the car. Oh my, I did my hair and makeup on the way to the live taping, and the taping had already started and I hadn't seen anyone since I'd been fired, and they were like, hold these flowers, say this, stand here, do this. You got to you know, the point where Roseann would take questions from the audience and somebody said, why do you keep switching Becky's back and forth? And she was like, well, it's going to be shocky from now on. And that's how I found out I had the job back for the last year and a half of the show.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's insane. Wow, I really think, Sarah, that is a that is a story that I never heard of another actor having. That is just if you're if you're I mean, when do you ever see or hear something like that happening to an actor. That's just insane.
Speaker 3: Well, we as we all know, Sarah has the craziest luck in the history of like just everything happens to say Sarah.
Speaker 1: We touched on that a bit in an earlier episode, how you would come in on Monday morning and you would have a story that was like nothing else we had ever heard, and it happened every week.
Speaker 5: Honestly, I still feel like sometimes I need to call you guys, because I'm like you, you would not believe what just happened to me. Lately, it's mostly at the grocery store. I mostly want to call you after I leave the grocery store and be like, take a deep breath and be like, Okay, so I get there, bos bottomsself and all the produce drops in the main aisle where everybody's standing. That's a woman behind me, costs little in front of me. I mean, that is every day, right.
Speaker 1: You just couldn't believe that. Every Monday morning. You would be like, you are not gonna believe what happened to me this weekend? And then and then we'd be like yeah, right, and then it would she would go into a story that was like that's the most insane thing I've ever heard.
Speaker 2: That's just this weekend, right, And also it would be so crazy. I'd be like, there's no way she could make this shit up, No way she could make.
Speaker 5: I mean, it is incredible how similar I am with Elliott.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, let's talk about the audition process.
Speaker 1: Yeah, talk about that's a good segue into talk about getting scrubs now, because what was what was the auditioning process? When I read finally came around to getting callbacks, I was I was reading with you, so you were were you the first person cast?
Speaker 5: Donald? I were cast together? My audition process, I had just moved back, like after the Roseansche, I moved back to Canada for four years, and then my best friend had finished film school and she wanted to produce and I wanted to act, and there's you know, there was just at the time not as much filming in Canada as does now, and I creatively was like, Okay, I'll go back and give La another try. We had a we got a six month sublet and we moved down. We didn't know anyone, and we never had any plans. And so this one night we had plans. We were going to a show and I get this. I had two auditions in my you know, for the next day. And normally I'm so type A I would have canceled my plans and spent every second that existed between getting the sides until going into the audition working on it. And I was like, you know what, fuck it, I'm not canceling, you know, on Gen We're going to go to the show. And I got home and it was midnight, and my audition was at nine am, and the other audition was at noon. My Scrubs audition was at nine am, and I opened the script and I started reading it, and I swore every page. I was like fuck, o shit, oh my god, this is so good. And every page I was like, oh shit, this is like the thing I've ever read. Oh fuck, I want this job so badly. I want this part so bad. And so by twelve thirty, I like sitting there with having read the script and with these sides, and I loved the show. I loved the writing. I love the part so much. So I thought, okay, I'll skip the other audition. I won't read that one. Whatever that is goes in the garbage. And I read with Debbie and Brett, the cash In directors, at nine o'clock on a Friday morning, and they said, okay, can you come back at three to read with Bill.
Speaker 1: That's a good sign.
Speaker 5: And then one of Jen's and my very very good friends husbands was in town for work and he had come over to visit us, and so him and Jen Aaron Brindle and Jen read the sides with me, and so we just kept like running them and then I went in and auditioned with Bill at three auditions were like ten days later because they were still casting other people to go to studio and network. So then we did studio and then network. So there's four auditions and I were the same thing.
Speaker 2: Every too, see.
Speaker 3: Sarah, because the last two auditions we were there together. I remember that, and you wore the same jeans with the big ass belt and it had a big belt buckle.
Speaker 5: Am I right, Okay, I know the belt you're talking about. Yeah, I went through a very big belt buckle collecting face. So I had this old vintage leather belt and then I would switch out like like an old Coca Cola belt buckle or like. So I did wear not a lot, but in my memory, I don't know we could both. I have no idea which one of us is right. But in my memory what I wore was I wore black boots at the heel, black pants and a tight black tank top. Because when I first moved to LA and I would go on these auditions, I remember I went out for an Aaron Spelling wearing these like plaid, funky bell bottoms that I thought we was really cool in this like vintage T shirt. And I thought that I like super excited about this out. And I walked in and there were ten girls and they were all wearing tight black tank tops and tight black pants, and I thought, Okay, so that's how you do it here, got it.
Speaker 3: I remember the jenes being blue. I do remember them being I thought they were tight as fuck too. I remember being like, yeah, Jesus tight.
Speaker 2: I was the same.
Speaker 1: I was the same way, not with the tight jeans, but I the second I started getting callbacks, I was like, I'm not washing this. I want my pheromones. I want my pheromones on it. I'm not jinxing this thing. And I would get like another callback and be like not changing not I mean, I was just so towards the end, I remember I was like doing the same thing I did that when I would get up, I would sit in the chair, have a coffee. I would go to the treadmill do thirty minute. Like I had a whole regiment. I would listen to the same few songs before I went to the audition. I like had a ritual. Do you remember what they were.
Speaker 5: Ah, definitely Madonna.
Speaker 1: One of mine was changed by Blind Melon.
Speaker 5: Oh I love it does?
Speaker 2: How is a melon? Blind? It doesn't make no sense.
Speaker 1: Donald is the name of a very popular band. You might like their music. Let's circle back to south audition process.
Speaker 5: I feel like probably I'm guessing that Babies Got Back was another one of the songs.
Speaker 1: Oh oh wow, that really got you.
Speaker 2: Do you want to tell them your Baby Got backstory?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I was very impressed that you knew I didn't know that song as well as you knew that song.
Speaker 5: For grad parent event, we had to do a talent for the parents. And kids got up and played the violin and the piano, and ten of my girlfriends and I got up and danced and we had a whole routine.
Speaker 1: The routine did is a bit It was a bit sexual. I think that was kind of odd for the talent show.
Speaker 2: Now they were seen yourself.
Speaker 5: I think all of our parents were probably like I'd asked them, I should like, what did you think when your child was up there at grad parent event?
Speaker 2: It seems like a very odd How old were you guys?
Speaker 5: We were in grade twelve, which is Canadian.
Speaker 2: Grade, right, so you're about to graduate.
Speaker 1: We were in grade twelve, which is Canadian for twelfth creative yep.
Speaker 5: So any who sen of my songs the Holden BC lot and in the quarantine cleanup, I did find my sides from the auditor little visitors past. Oh I shaved both of those. But I remember being in the parking lot and just like seat back in the car and lying there, and someone told me to do this. I've never told any of this, but to visualize yourself walking into the audition, visualize the whole thing playing out, and visualize yourself walking out and it going really well. And so I remember sitting in my car in the NBC parking lot, closed my eyes, visualizing the whole thing. And then and then Donald and I were in there together with some other Turks and some other Elliots and some other jds, and we basically all took turks going in and then they came back out. And then you go back in with this person and read together, and then they peer you up and you read together, and it was yeah, pretty in nerve racking.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you a question, did you know any of the young ladies that were auditioning for your role? I knew both of the guys that were auditioning for Turk, I knew and I not only did I know them, I knew them well too, Like I hung out with one of them and we used to play a lot of basketball together, and then the other one we did a bunch of movies together, or we did a movie together. But I would see him out at the club all the time.
Speaker 1: Was it Denzel?
Speaker 2: I wish it was Denzel. I wish I could be like Denzel. I got it, Yo, d.
Speaker 1: Denzel, Denzel, this one's mine.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, Sorry, buddy, you'll bounce back. Don't worry about it.
Speaker 5: So was that weird to sit there with kind of buddies or.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, it was very it was very weird, and it was It's also one of those things where it was like, you know, if one of these guys get it, I'm gonna freaking.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna lose my shit, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Like, as much as I love you guys, and as much as you know I have root for you guys, I want this so bad. I want this so bad I could taste it. Both very successful have gone on to do other things. I just really wanted Chris Turk bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you got it.
Speaker 5: I mean, so when you're sitting in that for people that are listening, when you're sitting in that position and you're going to sit, you're going to network. You don't have the part yet, and you sign a six year contract. They call it five plus one, and I was like, well, but isn't that six years?
Speaker 1: That's a contract lingo for don't tell them a six years. We're going to call it five plus one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, five plus one. So you signed five plus one, and I feel like that's always such a feeling of I mean, you're twenty four and you're thinking, wow, until I'm thirty, and in any other scenario that would kind of take your breath away. In this case, I was just like, yes, for the love of God, please a hundred years of doing this, Like there was no two seconds of thinking about it. Was like I'm desperate and wow, if it could ever go, I would be grateful for as many years as it would go for. And that feeling of just complete signing that and so hopefully that don't happen anyways. Then Bill called me the few yards lay that date or it was the next day. It was very soon after the audition was either later that day or the next day, and I couldn't believe it. I think we all probably after reading that script, kind of felt like it was really something special and had the possibility of I mean you obviously you never know, but the chance to go for it writ so good.
Speaker 3: As you know, Sarah, I did not read the script before we shot the pilot. I didn't read the script until the table read and I was like, Oh, that's what happens.
Speaker 2: Read dude.
Speaker 3: I didn't know it was a freaking dope pilot until my agent was like, Dude, this is like a really big pilot.
Speaker 1: I never I never knew the trivia that you didn't read the script till the table read.
Speaker 5: Dude, I did not know that.
Speaker 3: Remember the Titans. I didn't know what happened in the script until the table read. I remember we did the dude. I just know, listen. I just knew only my stuff. This was I was a kid, I was young.
Speaker 1: Listen. There would be times when we'd be shooting scrubs where you know, the whole script wasn't out yet, and you know, because the writers were behind, so we would we'd get scenes, but Bill would sort of explain what was going on, and you know, you shoot out of order. So we'd be like Monday morning, you know, time to rehearse, and Donald and I are like standing on a table, and he'd whisper in my amy, like, yo, yo, why are we standing on a table? I had no idea what was happening in the script? All right, we're going to take a quick break. We'll be right back with the legendary Sarah Chalker.
Speaker 2: And we're back, and.
Speaker 1: We're back, Sarah tell us about.
Speaker 5: He just really quickly, really quickly. Before I tell you, I need to tell you. My favorite example of Donald not having read the scene was during the auditions in the show, when you're like, I can't remember what sees, but we're supposed to be auditioning, and Neil and Sam Lloyd are auditioning you and like, I remember you walked in and you, you know, were like, oh yeah, I think I could you read the actual script? You're like, I think I can you know, come up with a dance for that? And you had to come up with a dance and you just came up with on the spot, and you're such a fucking good dancer. You came up with this unbelievable dance to Poison and then like, my kids are all obsessed with the fact that it's the Fortnite dance now and they watch the Fortnite character do it. Besides you feel and they've all tried to learn it. We've tried to learn it. I can't learn it.
Speaker 2: I don't think I could even do it again. Listen.
Speaker 1: So I just want to say the billion off what Sarah said, that's a perfect example. Sorry, Sarah, that is the best example. Donald hadn't read the script and everyone loves that dance. People talk about it. It's the Fortnite dances everywhere. Donald literally showed up and was like, you want me to do what now? And he had to and he totally improvised that dance on the spot.
Speaker 3: Well, there was a lot of years of of you know, I was a huge New Audition fan, a huge Bell Bibdavo fan. I still am a huge New Edition in Bell Bibdavo fan and Bobby Brown and Ralph chans Van, all of them. Anyway, I had been dancing like that my whole life, pretty much since I was like and since ninety two, I was doing dances like that, And so when they were like we want you to dance to poison. In my mind, I was like, yeah, I know, I know some steps that I could do to that to everybody else, because I remember I was late that day. Everybody packed the room that day, and I know the pressure was on me, but I was like, this is this is something that I do all the time.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: There are other times where I didn't prepare when we were doing the show, and it cost us like hours of filming.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Donald, I remember I was. I was. I was directing once and Donald had a paragraph of medical jargon, like a really hard a paragraph you would anyone would have to practice a lot because it was like fast medical jargon and like five sentences. And I was directing and just Donald could not get it because he hadn't even looked at it. It's not something you could do on the spot. And I remember, you know, when you're directing a scene, you normally start with the widest shots and then you start moving into closer and closer angles. And I was like, Donald, we gotta move on, dude, don't worry, we'll cut it together. We cut it together. By the time we got to like an extreme close up of Donald's face, like eyebrowed a chin. He finally got it. And if you watch that episode, like Donald does the whole monologue and a shot that's like this tight, because that was finally the only time you ever got it.
Speaker 2: Those days are over, by the way.
Speaker 3: Just anybody who's looking to hire me for any thing, Yeah, I am not like that anymore.
Speaker 1: I'm sure no no casting directors or directors are listening to our podcast.
Speaker 5: But and what Zach was saying about, you know, getting the script sometimes, you know, as the season would get towards the end, and the writers were so taxed trying to crank out these scripts that were so funny. I remember one morning we got to work on a Monday morning and it was the week that my character had the voiceover, because each of our characters had a voiceover for one time. And they didn't have the script out yet. But we had to start shooting something, and so they said, We're just going to do a long kind of steady cam shot following you through the hallways, and I just want you to change your face around to go with different emotions and things you're going to write. So just you know, you're walking and you're thinking, like a little bit happy and you're a little bit sad and then you're thinking about something. We talk for two hours, just me and his steady cam.
Speaker 1: I'm like, that's funny that they probably had to eventually write to your expressions because they were changing, because then they didn't and the camera didn't want to cut away. So it's like, okay, wait, she's about it. Got a second of seriousness and then a smile, so like we need a one second sentence, and then it's something to smile about.
Speaker 5: Then looking a little nostalgic and.
Speaker 1: All right, should we go into this episode? This is one of my favorite episodes. This is one of my favorite episodes of the whole nine years. It really is special, and I want you to know I haven't seen it in twenty years and I got goosebumps multiple times watching it. That's how it really does hold up.
Speaker 3: I was about, there's some really great moments in this show, in particular with you, Sarah. This this You know, I looked at this show when I first when we first did this show, I was like, oh wow, we all get a chance to shine here. But this was a moment I feel like for you and for Judy as well, where you guys. You guys really crushed this episode, Like it's really fucking good, like you two alone, you alone, you and Judy alone. Like really, I don't know what it is, but you guys start off on a you know, as adversaries and by the end of it your friends.
Speaker 2: And that's for a half an hour.
Speaker 3: To be able to tell a story like that's very difficult to start two people off as enemies, especially when the narrative so far in the show.
Speaker 2: Has been you guys not getting along.
Speaker 3: And so, you know, it really is a testament to how good you are as an actress that you guys were able to not only bring the funny, but bring the drama and then also bring the connection so that the story tracks all the way through. And I just wanted to give you props on that straight up, right out, you know the bat. And also it was so early on in the show too, it was episode four, and so for us to be able to jump in and tell such a good story, it's really a testament to how good First of all, Matt tarsis, holy shit, what a good writer.
Speaker 1: D Matt Tarsus wrote it. And we should also say that this was the first episode not directed by Adam Bernstein, and it was the first episode directed by Mark Buckland, who really added a lot of cool style. You know, we've spoken about how Adam Bernstein really developed the language of how the camera moves and scrubs and how you could do some trick shots and how there was a lot of creativity. The camera was a character in the show, and Mark Bucklan, I think, with this episode, really took that and ran with it and added a lot of a new language to the way the show was shot.
Speaker 5: Adam Bernstein, it should be said, directed the Baby's Got Back video in case anyone out there does not know that, Yes.
Speaker 1: That that is beautiful trivia there for you Scrubs fans. Sarah can do the full dance and knows all the lyrics the Babies Got Back And coincidentally, was it Sir Mix a Lot? Yes, it is Sir Mix a Lot music video was directed by Adam Bernstein. There you go. That's not on your Scrubs wiki.
Speaker 2: Right, Thank you told you wiki wiki. We got it from here.
Speaker 5: Well, first of all, Donald, thank you for saying all those nice things. I felt the same way about you guys, Like I was like going like wow, Donald, Zach fucking nailing this episode, and it's like we just started, like we were a few weeks in. It was that fourth episode, but it was the third one that we'd shot in that chunk, you know, separated out from the pilot. And like, I feel like Bill had told us a long time ago that he didn't he say to the network, We're going to set it up one out of every three patients die here and you're kind of waiting the whole episode to find out who it's going to be, and then they all die. I feel like he said that to the network and they said, no, you can only have one patient die, and he said, no, it's going to be all three. We have to do that.
Speaker 2: Yees.
Speaker 5: We're coming out of the gate right now. We're going to show the audience that this is what the show is. And all those years on Scrubs, this one, for me absolutely is the one that stands out whenever I think of the show as being the one that really shows the responsibility that's put on these young, young, young doctors. I mean, my little sister is in her first year right now of being a real doctor. What a crazy time in the world to be doing that. And I can't believe for stories. I can't believe what level of responsibility that they're given right out of the gate. I mean, I'll be at work on set and I'm on lunch, and I come back from lunch and she's like, you know, she's just been doing CPR on someone for thirty minutes, trying to save them. And I'm like, well, I was just in here a makeup touch and they took the same curl and recurled it again to make it curly like it just it's such a u it takes your breath away. Really, what the decisions young doctors have to make?
Speaker 1: Do you think your sister was inspired by you? I mean it's interesting. You know a lot of younger sisters might be inspired that their older sister was a real doctor. But because she grew up with you playing this character, does she think that that inspired her at all?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 5: I tried to get my I remember I'd say to my family like, hey, guys, like, did you see you know I was so excited about the show. I've like you've seen. They were like, well, we t vote it because it's on the same time as twenty four, But that Jack Bauer what he did? They I feel like, you know, she's thirteen years younger than me, and I would like to think that I had that kind of an influence, but really she came out of the womb a doctor. I mean she the stories are crazy me. Yeah, she she was just so interested in medicine from such a young age and really so calm under pressure, Like I remember, it's just responsible. I mean I remember we went on a road trip and she'd had her license for maybe two weeks and my dad was like, so she's gonna drive, right, And I was like, Dad, I've been I've been driving for thirteen and a half years. He's like, yeah, yeah, so she's gonna drive right. Like she just is just a much more responsible human. But it definitely has been interesting just rewatching a couple, like just last night, rewatching a couple of the early episodes and thinking them, thinking about them just in the context of her and this one in particular, because it's pretty it's pretty unbelievable, as you know, you see JD and Elliott and Turk and the pressure that is on them and just all of it, like trying to figure out, you know, what calls they can make on their own and when to go for help.
Speaker 3: Here's a little bit more scrubs trivia. Your little sister taught my eighteen year old, when he was probably nine to ten months at this time, how to walk right happen on the third floor of the hospital, right in between our dressing rooms.
Speaker 5: That's so crazy crazy.
Speaker 2: And now she's an adult and she's taking care of patients. Wow. Is she on the front line right now?
Speaker 5: She is. I think about her mostly every minute.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 5: We've been pots and pans every night, all of us. And my three year old has broken a couple measuring cups because she gets so into it.
Speaker 1: That's very sweet. You do it as like an honor to the healthcare workers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so it's it's really cool. Actually, everybody, everybody goes out on the on the everybody goes outside at like seven o'clock and just bangs the pots and pans and screams and cheers.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: I like that. I want my neighborhood. I want my neighborhood to do that. We need a primal scream.
Speaker 5: Oh, you start it. It's so cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Just segueing back to the show, I want to just say that you'll hear us at a minute and forty five seconds there's this really cool steady cam shot that really kind of sets up the tone of the show. You'll hear us talk about the word steady camel lot on this and if you don't know what it is, it's a it's like it's a way of mounting the camera on a on an operator's body so that the operator can move around and the camera just feels like it's floating around. And it's something that was used extensively on the Scrubs set as we traveled on the hallways. But I pointed out, as I was talking about Mark Buckle in the director's style, how I like this sort of way he's introducing that this episode is going to be about the three of us, where the camera starts on me and then it and then it goes to Sarah and it never it never cuts, and then it goes by the children, and then it comes up to Donald as he comes into the room. And I just thought that was kind of an early example of something that we did ended up doing a lot of of of sort of moving around the hallways without cutting a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Also, if I don't know if you guys noticed, but the hospital is really dark in this episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's true.
Speaker 3: The lights aren't on. Really, everything's you know, it's very very dark in this episode. Not only that, here's another thing, it's jumping ahead, but this is one of the first times where Kelso isn't the bad guy on the show. Also, what I've noticed is that when we're dealing with something like that's as powerful or as strong as death, it's us versus the hospital. If you've noticed that, you know what I mean, it's the cast versus death. And in this one, Kelso gives is a mentor in this one. He gives really good advice in this one to JD. And he's not the obstacle. He's the one that's actually trying to help solve the problems in this Now, if you watch other episodes, he's never really like that, you know what I mean. He's always he's always the bad guy. This was the first episode, well obviously the first episode in a run, but this is the first episode that I can remember where I was like, Wow, Kelso was on board with us this whole time.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. I like what you pointed out too about the lighting, because traditionally in half hour TV comedy everything's always bright. There's like this unwritten rule that for it to be funny, to be bright, and again just challenging some of the conventions. In this episode, both John Inwood, the cinematographer, and Mark Buckland did things like have have it be in dark rooms, you know, having some of the dramatic moments like in ICU later happened in you know at night or at sundown, which I thought, was I agree, that was something I hadn't I had noticed that was this is the first time they did that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it carries on throughout the series too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. At two twenty six we meet Catherine Juston playing Missus Tanner. Now she is such an uzz she has since passed away, but was such an extraordinary actress, and I remember she had just done a very high profile run on The West Wing where that character had passed away as well, And I remember thinking, well, is that gonna be odd that she's coming onto art. I mean, I'm glad she's coming on because she's a wonderful actress, but having just played someone else who died, I think I just remember that being in my head, like she had just done such a hope, high profile moment on West Wing. But then the second I started working with her. I just felt in awe of her, of her talent, and that was the furthest thing from my mind.
Speaker 5: One of my favorite moments in the episode when she says, are you a good doctor? And you say it's probably too soon to tell, and I just feel like it's such a such an example of how the show walked that line of like you're just on the edge of your seat and you're crying and then you're laughing, and there's a few moments.
Speaker 3: Oh, there's a couple of moments that I laughed in my ass. So when JD goes to the park to meet up with her, yeah, and he's like, you got to get your ass back to the hospital. And then he's like, is that some moores? And then they cut away and then they cut back and he's still chastising her, but now he've got chocolate all on his lips.
Speaker 1: Yeah, JD was not going to pass up amores moment. Are you kidding me?
Speaker 5: You think he could have gone a big cake?
Speaker 1: JD was not. JD was trying. It was a perfect JD thing to be like, really trying to be taken seriously with s'mores chuck late over all of his lips.
Speaker 5: One of my favorite laugh out low moments is when Donald is doing the workout.
Speaker 1: Video, which is foreshadowing the Poison Dance a little bit because you're dancing in the very same room and and a.
Speaker 5: Little bit and some and some sweet moves that I guarantee you we're not in the eighties workout video. But when he's like, she had such energy and warm, dude. The Women League of Women Voters called and they want to know where to zend your membership.
Speaker 1: Sarah tell us about I'm a tell us about I'm a Chunky Monkey from Funky Town because I remember that, and I just was like, who wrote that? That is the most random thing in the world.
Speaker 5: I guess Matt Tarsus or who knows.
Speaker 1: But was the idea that you were just testing out? Elliott was just testing out that she could say anything in front of a woman.
Speaker 5: Yes, Yes, I think so, Yes, obviously to Carla's.
Speaker 3: Display, there's a lot of there's a lot of trivia in this episode because we we introduced characters that from that moment on weren't on the show anymore.
Speaker 2: Like I remember Layla Lee. She plays the surgeon in the room with doctor Wynn and Turk.
Speaker 1: She was really good. I had the same reaction. I was like, what happened to her?
Speaker 2: She was, yeah, so I do know the story.
Speaker 3: I remember we were filming and it was a couple of episodes in and she was going to come back as my nemesis. And she was saying how she had just got this part on a television show that was going to take her out of California, or not out of California, but out of the Los Angeles area, and she was going to go do that instead.
Speaker 2: Now I remember being like, but what about us? What? What about what we've got going?
Speaker 3: This is so funny, and she was like, you know, I'm a guest star on this show, but on the other show I would be a lead.
Speaker 2: And so she went and took the other job. To be honest with you, enough, you.
Speaker 1: Remember what the show was.
Speaker 2: It was Trimors.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, it was the syndicated version of Tremors, and I remember it ran for a while and the dad from Family Ties, I think, is on it.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure. I couldn't.
Speaker 1: I just remember watching that scene, which we'll get to later in the episode, and you guys had such a funny banter that that's spoofing of a couple driving together. And then I had the same thought. I go, oh that that that young woman was so funny. What happened to her? And I guess she got her own show at the time.
Speaker 3: She got well, yeah, she got a job and went on to do other things.
Speaker 5: To other people of Scrubs Lore who were introduced in this episode seven fifty nine, I very quickly. If you watched Danny Rose, you killed the sistant and obviously became a producer on the show. He walks by in the park and he has Tankers.
Speaker 2: On his shoulders.
Speaker 1: Shoulders, Yeah, and Tankers was what a big bulldog that he?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Tankers And I just we have to.
Speaker 1: Talk about the legendary Mike Schwartz, who plays his very first appearance, very first appearance. A lot of times we're watching these episodes and I forget that some of the people were introduced so early. So Mike Schwartz was one of the writers on the show, very funny, a comedy writer, and he plays the delivery guy, the ups guy, if you will. That his first they established him giving something to Kelso and then later he comes and delivers a ton of bricks to me. He is uh he. We had so many laughs with that guy.
Speaker 5: Huh oh, my god, constantly doing bits and making us all laugh. Like you walk by him in the hallway and he'd be like, what's that, it's Jack Crew.
Speaker 1: He would do this. He would do this bit that I don't know why. It was so funny, but he would go he would pretend to call off to someone that wasn't there, and he would and he would do a bit where he was pretending that they were asking him who made his shirt, and so he'd be reaching for the tag. He'd be what, oh, hold on to me. Oh yeah, it's Jay Crew, And it was so stupid, but he was talking to no one and you would laugh every single time.
Speaker 5: Every time we're lonely this guy in the world, where you tap him on the shoulder and be like.
Speaker 1: We ended up putting that in the show.
Speaker 3: He went on to be the Was he the drummer for the for the airband that same episode that we were talking.
Speaker 1: About, y Yeah, he liked his character. Like later episodes, we learned that his character like speed metal.
Speaker 2: Right and and and that his character was a big time like drug addict and everything like that.
Speaker 1: And it was always I think, and he was very lonely. But that that bit about that was his bit where you if no one touched him, So if you ever did graize his shoulder, he would sort of cuddle his own shoulder because he was so low. He was so lonely and lacking of touch, the.
Speaker 5: Loneliest guy in the world. And then Randall Winston is introduced as Death.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeahs, And Randall Winston was our line producer on the show. And uh, for those who don't know, a line producer is the producer that really is handling the sort of the daily money of things, really like the guy with the spreadsheet being like we can afford that, we can't afford that. And he was a very he was he is a very tall man. How tall would you say, is six seven or six six? Yeah? And so he he was established early on as as Death and whole run. Yes, and some of you are too young to know that what this joke is about. Connect four, but Connect four was a was a game from it still is a game kids still, but I'm saying they didn't have the cheesy ad. She's the ad in the eighties was a brother and sister playing and the sister wins and the brother goes pretty Sneaky Sis. Remember that you guys can look it up on YouTube, and so that's why we were spoofing that old eighties ad where I go Pretty Sneaky Death.
Speaker 3: But you got to do the lead up to it is I win where I don't see it right here diagonally pretty Sneaky.
Speaker 1: Sis, Pretty Sneaky Sis.
Speaker 5: And Randall is His main belief was that it's not a party unless both hands are in the air. So we had the most incredible rap parties and.
Speaker 3: Parties man and Randall and Randall is like some of the highlights of every part, like the some of the best party highlights that I've ever experienced involved Randall.
Speaker 1: Fortunately for us, the guys ending the money for the party really loved to party.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we had some good parties.
Speaker 1: I'm sure there's episodes where they were like, you don't need that set, we're throwing a party.
Speaker 5: Why Johnny Ce's home space looked very sparse because we needed to.
Speaker 1: Go to Vogah. God, we were just talking about that, how Johnny Seed they didn't get around to Johnny cees uh partly building Johnny C's apartment. It was just a hospital set, but.
Speaker 5: I think Randall spearheaded. I'm sure the like we got to we got to go on that crazy, amazing trip everybody to Vegas. We had to do like they were able to kind of combine a press event with the Scrubs wrap party, and so they organized it so like our whole cap went to Vegas all together.
Speaker 2: Things that will never happen ever in again.
Speaker 1: I doubt any show is taking their whole company to Vegas to throw a bash.
Speaker 2: Will the old days, Yeah.
Speaker 5: When we got to shoot a whole season in the Bahamas with the whole crew.
Speaker 1: A company an episode, Sarah may have stayed and shot a season.
Speaker 5: What is the season?
Speaker 1: Donald? I want to know a sports question, and I want you to be honest. Yes, did you know what the quote unquote catch was? Absolutely, it's about it. It's a famous thing that sports people know about.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: So Joe Montana, Yeah, it looked like he couldn't throw it to anyone in this game. Now, granted, I don't know who who they were playing, so when we're talking about it in the show, I didn't know who they were playing. But he found Dwight Clark in the end zone and it was you know, it's one of the biggest catches in history. As a matter of fact, it's a part of a commercial, like a Gatorade commercial or something like that. And that's how I first heard about it, because I wasn't a big football fan growing up.
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 3: I didn't become a football fan until later on in life. But yes, I did know when we did the when when they referenced the catch, I knew exactly what it was.
Speaker 1: Okay, good because I didn't know because I don't know anything about sports. If like everyone who's into sports knows, oh, the catch, it's called like the catch.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean at that time it was called the catch.
Speaker 3: I'm sure since then they're like Eli Manning and Mario Manningham they have a you know how he found him on the you know, running down the it's it's I didn't know when or where the catch was, but I had heard of the reference before.
Speaker 1: Donald tell us about the bowling Thinguse I was laughing at this, going, what are those what are those pins?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 1: What is that supposed to be in the hospital of those giant blue things.
Speaker 3: First of all, this this is a testament for how immature Christopher Turk was. So the kid says to him, Hey, it's the catch. Turk turns around and goes, yeah, I'll watched the Catch with you, And within fifteen minutes he's bowling a kid down the hospital hall, Like, how did this kid convince?
Speaker 2: Like, that's how weak willed Chris Turk is.
Speaker 3: How in the hell did this kid convince him to put him in a wheelchair and push him down the hall into a bunch of I guess they were recycling bins.
Speaker 1: Is that what they were supposed to being? I think so, because to me they look like cardboard tubes that someone.
Speaker 3: Right, I'm hoping that it was a recycling but like, how did this kid convince him? And the rest of the floor, Like Chris Turk walked out the room and was like, Yo, this is what we're gonna do, all right, I'm gonna put him in a wheelchair.
Speaker 1: I know I just started. I know, I just started as a doctor here, but I'm gonna roll a patient in a wheelchair down the hall. If you're a new doctor, don't try that at work, please.
Speaker 3: Well, And that was the great thing about the show also is that he was held accountable for it, you know, Kelso right away and this is where Kelso mentors Turk kind of also like, we're not here to make friends, We're here to treat these patients.
Speaker 2: Dude, be a doctor.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I wanted to talk about the park salary referenced it already, but I remember feeling really bad at nine minutes and thirty seconds slamming that little girl's face into the cake.
Speaker 2: That was hilarious. I wish I could do that to my kids sometimes.
Speaker 1: It was funny. I mean it was funny on paper when we got there and she has that cute little face and I was like, so, you guys really want me to jam this girl's face cake? And they're like, yeah, you gotta do it. You can't just like fake it. You got to do it. And I was like, and I talked to her. I was like, sweety, are you okay with this? And she's like, yeah, sure, it's gonna be funny. And I was like, all right, here we go, and I just jammed her head in and it felt really nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, listen, Sarah can attest to this. She hasked children as much as we love our children.
Speaker 5: Oh, sometimes you want to just.
Speaker 2: And on their face into a cake, especially going.
Speaker 5: To be quarantining for the near multiple multiple days months.
Speaker 3: If I had the opportunity and I knew my wife wouldn't be pissed off at me for doing it, Rocco's face would have been slammed into a couple of its.
Speaker 1: Birthday cakes, into many a cake.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna put that out there right.
Speaker 5: Now, and I need to go bake a couple of cakes.
Speaker 1: We're gonna go break and we come back. We have a caller. All right. We're getting good at that whole break thing, Joelle. We're very lucky here on this show, Sarah Chalk that we get to take a call or once an episode. And here she is, what's your what's your?
Speaker 2: Alexis Torres?
Speaker 1: In Donald just gave you an oprah intro. Oh, I was looking for your name. And the good thing about zoom is it just says it right there. Alexis Torres plumbley right there on the bottom ruin the woman's hearing she's in quarantine.
Speaker 6: I'm actually in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania right now.
Speaker 1: In My family has a steakhouse nearby called the Glass Lounge.
Speaker 6: Oh. I haven't gone there yet, but it's awesome.
Speaker 1: Will you go there? I want you to tell him I sent you if you're in there, If you're in that area, go.
Speaker 2: To the God's Wild Buddy.
Speaker 1: It's going to be a will Oh yeah, not now obviously, but you know when when this last Nightmare is over, go check out the Glass Lounge.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I will definitely go for sure.
Speaker 1: Thank you for coming on.
Speaker 2: And do you have a question?
Speaker 1: Doesn't have to be Sarah Chalk focused. It doesn't just because she's you want.
Speaker 2: To we understand.
Speaker 5: Is a human and she probably knows the best person to talk to.
Speaker 6: I mean, we'll see. Not just kidding.
Speaker 7: I have actually technically a question for all of you guys. If you could switch rolls with anyone in the series, any character, Who would it be and how would you play their character? Would it be different than how it was originally played?
Speaker 1: Or that's a very good question, Sara, go first.
Speaker 5: I mean, if it meant that I could have Donald's dancing skills?
Speaker 1: Was the fantasy? Was that fantasy that Sarah and I were making out and I was making out with you because she was you?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that it starts off where you guys are making out and then she's like you fantasized about kissing Turk just now didn't you?
Speaker 5: And then I made up with Mandy Moore as myself.
Speaker 1: You were Mandy was dressed up as herself. No, Mandy was just herself and you were dressed up as me. I think, right. I think that was a really beautiful moment and television history right there.
Speaker 5: Did you make out how to make up with Judy in the pilot? Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we just watched that. Were you made out with the model girl?
Speaker 2: Is that the pilot or is that the second episode?
Speaker 1: That was the second episode?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: But so you'd like to be Donald if you could be anybody else, is what you're saying.
Speaker 5: Well, if I could, if if I could do that fucking poison dance or rowdy, that would be pretty low.
Speaker 1: Low brush crush. It's a very good question, I guess. I it's funny because you don't want to pick. You want to have some screen time, right, you want to pick one of the seven, so you're gonna have some good screen time. I think I would choose Johnny c just because he had such amazing and they just knew how to write for him so amazingly well, and he he was just uh, I don't know. I think that I just love the all the material they gave Johnny, So I think that would be a really challenging fun part to even attempt to do.
Speaker 5: To pick mash walking around in a banana hammock.
Speaker 2: That's who I was gonna pick.
Speaker 3: If I could pick anybody, I guess it would be mash uh because if I could get But like we teased, we used to make fun of Mashow about running line and everything like that. But I had such a hard time learning my lines back then that I probably it probably would have suited me to play mash.
Speaker 1: You know, the first thing, the first step to a solving memorizing your lin style is to actually just do.
Speaker 2: It, or to read the script. Actually, that's read the script.
Speaker 1: I love how you're always like. I just have such a hard time memorizing class. I'm like, dude, you've been playing PlayStation in your pressing room.
Speaker 2: That's all I look.
Speaker 1: You even looked at it.
Speaker 2: No, Yeah, okay, right, do you have another question?
Speaker 1: Another question? We're going to answer a better one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, your question sucked. That's what I just said.
Speaker 5: I like you, I like creatives. It was it was thoughtful.
Speaker 1: I think you're spectacular, and I love Harrisburg, But I think you got a better question than you.
Speaker 7: No, I don't know if you got to ask what was something that you were super proud of back then that you did.
Speaker 6: Maybe it was a scene or a specific joke or anything like that.
Speaker 7: But then now since you guys are doing the rewatch and you've seen it, now you're kind of like, oh, that wasn't as good as I remember.
Speaker 1: That's a good question, Sarah. As guests, do you have to go first?
Speaker 5: Jesus the pressure. I feel like interestingly enough.
Speaker 1: Like you're like, I feel like interesting enough. I was just fucking amazing.
Speaker 6: I mean, I mean, I thought you were amazing.
Speaker 5: Like the early stuff a little bit hard, harder to watch. I feel like I learned so much on the show. I feel like I learned so much from Baill, I learned so much from the rest of the cast. And I feel like it's so different watching those early episode Thans eight years later, certainly with Elliott who the character changed a lot. Like in the pilot, we even did reshoots. She was much harder and much you know, there was she was a bit more of a batch in the in the in the beginning, and then and then we actually did a couple of reshoots to soften her, and then I think, you know, the line between me and her started to blur. It's a first part of your question what were you the most proud of? Certainly interestingly enough, it's this is definitely one of those episodes like when I think back on the eight years, this is the first one to pop into my mind about just the kind of show that that Scrubs was.
Speaker 6: And and.
Speaker 5: Then in terms of things to do differently, well, that's just.
Speaker 1: I mean, Sarah, I don't think you could have done everything differently. I wish that I could go back and have a chin, because I this episode starts with the least flattering view of my non existent chin, and in later episodes I would I would look at the director and be like, bro, don't shoot me like that. I mean, I'm doing I'm doing the best I can with what I have. But that's not the angle I want for myself and Bill.
Speaker 5: I don't know how many listeners know this, but Bill would like to add things that were actual, real physical attributes and write them into the show. So characters would be named by their physical attributes. So like the guy with the beard is beard for say, because you know, and so so for me, my character, you know, you had to say lines like short gives me pig face, which is not untrue, and or there was one where I had my characters like, oh yeah, chin, hair's back because I have this mole where three hairs grow out of it. And so that was actually written into the show. By the way, my son said to me a few years ago, completely seriously. He's like, Mama, I have terrible news. And I said what, and he goes, you're growing a beard.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 5: So so there were definitely moments of the show where he just had to go gate all in the name of comedy and so air out my biggest insecurities. Yeah, and you know, in terms of how it worked too, like Bill would come up and he would watch us, and this is not common for every you know, creator of a show to come up for every single rehearsal. He would come up from you know, to the to the set from the writer's room, and the writer's room was in another wing of the hospital. He would tweak a lot of stuff. He would say, I actually don't love this blocking. I think how it had it in my head was X Y or Z, and and he would he would he would tweak our performance in our jokes too, to the point where, like a lot of times I think actors like don't like a line read, and I just had so much respect for him. I'd be like, yeah, just if you've got some way in your head, just you know, tell us we'll do it right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Well, thank you for coming on, Lexis plumb. Are you gonna give her? Are you gonna give you the Oprah? Goodbye? Send off as well done.
Speaker 3: Let's say goodbye to Alexis trus Plumber.
Speaker 1: You get a car, You get a car, You get a.
Speaker 2: Car, Alexis, We cannot give you a car.
Speaker 6: I know it's okay.
Speaker 1: I can't go anywhere anyway, go anywhere, Yes, yes, go get a state. When this is all said and done at the Glass Lounge, all right, thank you so much, Alexis, Alexis writer you guys. At eleven forty nine, One of my biggest regrets in the history of Scrubs is that I flinch right before those bricks fall on me. And I remember Bill being so disappointed in me because there were like four takes of it and I flinched every time. But it's pretty tricky to not flinch when you know, bunch, I know that they're not real bricks, but it still was noticeably uncomfortable.
Speaker 5: I mean, it'd be pretty hard not to especially, I feel like all that shit, like even if it was like a major pratfall or something, once you've done it once, I feel like our best chance out of the gate is on your first take, because the second you've done it once, you know what's going to happen. You know the feeling of it. Maybe you like tweak something a little bit in your shoulder and then it's kind of it's around.
Speaker 1: But this was early on in the show, and I and I and I was I was really loving doing physical comedy and I always love physical comedy. You referenced John Ridder. I mean when I grew up on Three's Company, and I just thought that John Ridder was the funniest person I'd ever seen, and I wanted to be like him. And Bill was giving me lots of love for my physical comedy. And this was the first moment where he like called me in the editors room. He's like, dude, you flinched on every take And I was like, no, you blew it. I was like, I let Daddy down fucking blew it.
Speaker 5: The first time I was called up by by Bill after he left the editing room was you guys will remember the we had been so lucky to get nominated for an Emmy and we were going and we were excited and I got to borrow this fancy dress and the stylist I never had a stylist before, and she said, so you need to go get it. And I said, no, I'm not going to do that. I'm not going to go get a tan and she said, okay, go get a spray tan, and so I said, okay. So I think the Emmys were like on the Sunday and so on the Friday of work.
Speaker 2: It might have been well before that. It might have been well before that.
Speaker 3: It might have been like maybe five days before or something like that, dude, because we did the whole up.
Speaker 5: Okay, So I get to uh, I get to the tanning booth and it's like that fucking episode of Friends where Ross becomes a nine instead of for three because it keeps spraying stuff at him. He doesn't turn around. Its sprays again. So I get in there and you watch this little video and you put this cream on your hands and you got to spin around and do these weird poses. And I had like negative five minute to get this done before going to set, and I put a hairnet over my face so that I wouldn't tan my face, and then I rip that off and then then keep spraying. And so I get to set and I'm I'm tanned, and then.
Speaker 2: I say, hold on, now you were you were full of Oh no, not.
Speaker 5: Yet, not yet, because what happens with this spray ten is it develops over time. And so I was in the makeup chair and my makeup and we're doing these scenes and then as the day goes on, I'm just getting like more and more and more tanned, and instead of actually tanned, it was just more and more and more orange. And so Bill comes harder than any special effect we've ever done on a show, order than the Zac's head explode in the fantasy sequence, is going to be making you look less like an oop lumpa. They were like, we're trying to float filters in front of your face because we can't color time it and just jack out, like we can't just wind the knob and take out some of the color because we keep doing it. You're see with Donald and then make Donald white.
Speaker 3: Dude, I'm gonna say something right now. I remember, I remember when it happened. I remember you being on set and I remember saying to you, did you change something? Did you do your hair different or something like that? What's so different?
Speaker 2: And you were I remember ten.
Speaker 1: I remember, just like kids in a in a family, the three of us, whenever one of us was in trouble, I was always so happy when it wasn't me, and you just be like you just be on set, just kind of bouncing around like shit, somebody's in trouble and it's not me, and Sarah is freaking orange, so embarrassing. It's like we were laughing the other time.
Speaker 2: I got the braces on the inside of my mouth.
Speaker 1: They were laughing about that. When Donald showed up with bracest and he would like, so Bill, I got braefif and nobody couldn't even notice.
Speaker 2: The exact same thing.
Speaker 5: Oh good, So did you just have to go get and taken out?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Right off? Yeah dude, Yeah, he made me getting taken out.
Speaker 5: I got in visil line in like season two. Everybody made so much fun of me, but I had to. I would like, I had to take him out like right before tape. But you're supposed to war like twenty two to tween, like it was just a disaster.
Speaker 1: I just remember Donald. It was so funny watching him try to sell the bill that the brace is. Nobody was gonna notice those braces on the inside of his teeth.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be great. Everybody's gonna love this. Nobody keep a good notice.
Speaker 1: And I think it's gonna be great for my It's gonna be great for my teeth.
Speaker 5: I remember I went I went home that night after the spray tan and I had to scrub every ounce of my body. I just my face and my body. I just was like taking to it. And then I did a movie in Hawaii last year and the person wanted us to do a spray tand so Lauren Lapis who plays the lead in the movie, and I was supposed sposed to spray TANNDS and I said, I've actually had a couple of really bad experiences with spray tanns. I don't recommend it. I think it's just reacts with me the bad Orangeewey And they're like, no, no, no, we have like the best people in Hawaii. They're gonna come they're gonna do it. You're gonna love it. So I come down. The next morning, the woman comes to how Tell room, the four sprays you down. I come down. It's the hair and makeup trailer, and they are freaking out. They're like, your legs are orange. And then Lauren Lapis hasn't seen any of this preamble chee walks and she's like, who loves the sprint? And they're like, Sarah, quickly go back up, Joe tone, take some salt. Scrub, scrub it all off, get.
Speaker 1: It all off quick.
Speaker 5: I'm like, okay, I'll be right back.
Speaker 1: Oh God, So Sarah, I don't think Spray's hands are for you.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 2: Do you burn when you get into the sun?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 6: He is?
Speaker 1: She's very pale. Look at her, like how pale she is.
Speaker 5: It was the other joke on this movie Reason Hawaii. I would literally, in between in between scenes, I would be, you know, completely covered up to the point where we would go out at night and everyone else would be like, uh, chock, do you have your son screening on? Like I just I mean, oh I burn.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about this scene. But the dramatic scene, Sarah, I think your acting is really good. Here at seventeen oh three, there's this awesome scene where you and Judy where Judy comes to get you and you're at the soda machine. I think this is a really really good acting on your part.
Speaker 2: Was this Was this the first big monologue for you on the show?
Speaker 5: I thought you were gonna say? Was this the first that you put in your iPod and listen to Josh Raiden?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: Is that what you did? Or you're giving Josh Raiden?
Speaker 2: Was it Josh Raiden?
Speaker 5: Or was it?
Speaker 2: Who was it?
Speaker 1: I will remember, well, don't don't take away her, don't take away her. Josh Raiden plugged Donald.
Speaker 2: Josh Rayden's gotten enough plugs on this show?
Speaker 5: Is that? Is that?
Speaker 1: Is that how you used to get to make your eyes uh, to make yourself emotional in eyes tear up?
Speaker 5: Well? I was still young, I mean at that point. Now you know, as you grow old or you have many more experiences draw from. But I used to use an iPod and I would play sad music and kind of get into the mode. I don't know then that scene was kind of it was very early on. It was enough. I mean I remember just shooting.
Speaker 1: It, and it was was it babies got back. I mean there's something about the lyrics.
Speaker 6: This.
Speaker 5: You can see if you look very closely, if you stop freeze the frame, you can see my hips just kind of undulate. My booty's shaken a little bit. Yeah, Josh Raiden, let's give a plug man. He he obviously was a soundtrack to many things. I delivered my children to josh O Raydory.
Speaker 1: You go if you're gonna, if you're gonna deliver your children and that's coming up, we recommend you use the musical stylings of Joshua Raidon.
Speaker 3: Josh Raidon sang the song at my wedding. Their first dance was to Josh Raydon and he fucked up the song tremendously, he did. But I love them, Oh my god. He didn't even remember the song. I got the video, Which got the video?
Speaker 1: Which which song of it was it? It was? It was which song of his?
Speaker 3: No, it was moon pours through the ceiling tonight and praises us with life And it was perfect for the uh, for the moment.
Speaker 2: The rest of my life. Cake of this night. Whoa yeah, And only the heartaches have given me side. They bring me to you, right, bring me to you fucked it up the whole He fucked up the whole song, dude. I wish op No, it was It's fun, dude, he did it. Listen.
Speaker 3: It's not every day you get somebody like him to one perform at your wedding, also to do it for free.
Speaker 1: So you know that he also performed at Ellen's wedding.
Speaker 2: I'm sure they paid him. I didn't have to pay him and for that alone. And thank you Josh Raydon. You are one of my heroes.
Speaker 5: KEVII Donald didn't ask me to sing at his wedding.
Speaker 1: By the way, has the worst voice in the world. America. Let me tell you something, America and all other nations listening, don't ever let Sarah sing. Windows will break these what this what's happening in my house? The windows going?
Speaker 5: I was conspicuously absent in the musical episode.
Speaker 1: And also, do you remember when when the whenyl when Daryl Hannah and splash says her name. That's what happens when Sarah.
Speaker 5: I guess we haven't covered that yet that you guys didn't ask me to help you record the opening song? Can you imagine?
Speaker 1: Do you like our song?
Speaker 5: I love your song?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Charlie Pooth wrote the music and Donald and I were Donald and I were the lyrisis.
Speaker 2: Well, we wrote the melody too and then sent it to him. Well the melody is right.
Speaker 1: Credit for melody melody was us. Charlie Pooth is producer and music writer, right, and you and I are the lyricists.
Speaker 2: But we can also we also need to give a little shout out to sitcom shows from back in the day, like the Jefferson Oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and someone said on Twitter, I thought it was it was right. It said it's a mix between the Brady Bunch theme and the Jeffersons theme.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, that's exactly what it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought that was really perfect. Sarah, do you find yourself singing our theme song when you're in your house in quarantine?
Speaker 5: It's it's you know, I I've actually learned it. I've got learning the guitar of the ukulelea actually, and i''ll send you guys a clip of me singing and you you know, I'll leave it in your hands if you show.
Speaker 1: My girlfriend caught me on the treadmill listening to our theme song and laughed at me, not with me, at me, you're proud of it.
Speaker 5: You're proud of it.
Speaker 3: Things I noticed about the show, about this show go ahead. I had no idea that I bopped that hard in the hallway. And when I say bop, I mean like I had this straight up. My walk is legendary.
Speaker 1: To go strut? Is it like a stress?
Speaker 2: It's like a struck. But it's like so over the top, dude, it's so over the top.
Speaker 1: It's like George Jefferson when he would this is.
Speaker 2: Exactly like George jeffersons it's like so heavy. It's like, yo, dude, why are you going so hard with that?
Speaker 1: And that was your inspiration? Do you remember who your inspiration was?
Speaker 2: It's always Sherman Hemsley, Sherman Hemsley always.
Speaker 1: I wanted to say something about the scene in nineteen oh seven There's the I had this dramatic scene with Catherinejustin and it was the first time I ever had the balls to go to Bill because I thought I did a good job. And then he showed me an edit of it and he had taken out some of my dramatic pauses, and it was one of the first times in my acting career where I was like I was like, I gotta go talk to him because he's making me look like a bad actor. He's he's taking out the pauses like you know, because you know, the show had to be cut down to twenty two minutes or something, and I remember Bill Willing like, dude, there's no time. It's twenty two minutes. There's no time for pauses. There's no time for dramatic pauses. And I think in the end he put he put a little bit back, but it was like it was when she goes, are you okay? And then I go, I'm scared. And then when I saw it edited together for the first time, I was like, are you okay? I'm scared? And I was like, oh, that makes me look really bad. And this is the thing that actors, I'm sure I know as a director feel all the time. Sometimes you look and go, why did you cut me like that? Like on the day, I thought I was doing a much better job. But if you take out that pause and cut to me like like that, I don't look as good as I want to be. You know, I'm sure you guys had that feeling throughout the show sometimes.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, you know you We would tell jokes sometimes and jokes wouldn't make the show, and you know, we'd have moments where we thought, you know, we were crushing it and then only to see you know, the editors and Bill decided to use the reaction shot instead of your actual you know, instead of your.
Speaker 2: Before gone right or the joke's just completely gone right. Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 5: I love that scene that you're talking about, Zac. It was one of my favorite ones in the in the episode when you know, she tells you to go and live your life and you're like, you know, uh huh uh, I'm just taking on a few things and you go up to the thing and you're kind of pretending.
Speaker 1: I don't want to go, and and then it's always you know, my father, who passed away recently, always always would reference this moment in Scrubs that he thought it was so incredibly moving, the idea of a of an older woman comforting a young doctor about death. And and he said, I just you know, he was He's like, I never seen anything like that before, and and and I just watching it this time, I just remember how much he would always reference that because it was so beautiful that that sentiment that the JD doesn't know how to deal with death yet, but here's this older woman who's ready to go and she's the one comforting him about it. I just thought that was beautifully written.
Speaker 5: Somehow managed to also be funny in parts. That was what I couldn't believe, Like when she's just like everybody dies, No they don't.
Speaker 2: Right, No, they don't right. The Scheifel to the Miffel Tower.
Speaker 1: The Mindful Tower, the Minffel Tower, about the Minfele Tower.
Speaker 3: That being said, the whole list thing, especially the way things are right now, that whole list thing, got me to thinking, you know what I mean, I don't have any regrets in my life or anything like that, but there are certain things that I still want to do, you know what I mean. And uh, you know, we're in quarantine and it doesn't seem like, you know, it doesn't feel like we're going to get out of this anytime soon, you know what I mean. Not to sound more but or dark or anything like that, but when JD brings up the list and she's like, I've done all of those things already, it really made me think, like, well, you know, when this is over, I'm gonna make sure that I get out and I live a lot more than I did before, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: And well, that's interesting. I mean, this quarantine thing, I agree. I think it gives you perspective. And I've just been feeling focusing on gratitude a lot because I just think that, like when all this is so insane, and it makes you focus on how lucky we are and what we want to appreciate in life. You know, they just the simple things like being able to go to a restaurant with friends and laugh and have a drink. And I don't know, it's interesting you say that. So have you made a list on? Are you making lists of things you want to know?
Speaker 2: I'm going to start a list.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 3: A lot of it has to do with my kids and making sure that they get to experience a lot of the things that I didn't experience when I was a kid when I was young, you know what I mean. I try to do that now, but I feel like maybe I need to go a little bit overboard, and then, you know, have my wife tell me we need to dial it back a little bit. We're going too far, you know what I mean, Like, Uh, there's certain things that my kids have never done that and that's because I don't do it, you know what I mean, and don't.
Speaker 2: I don't want to do that to them. I want them to have that experience in that adventure.
Speaker 5: I feel like I feel like it's it's also because we don't know when this is over. We don't know how long we're going to be doing for, and it doesn't seem to be short. Obviously it sounds like potent until we have a vaccine. Who knows how long this chunk of our lives is and what it looks like and whether it opens back up. I feel like as impossible it is, it is and has trite as it's like trying to be in the moment and trying to figure out what like the rare times with them that I have now that are so hard to get in the like in the every day you think about how much time you spend in the car driving them to activities, doing whatever, and when work takes over and that becomes so all consuming, and I feel like as much of it is that we can squeeze out just here, like just sitting with them. Like I was reading something the other day saying, you know, people are worried about their kids getting behind in education. What if they actually came out ahead. And I thought that was such a cool way to look at it, Like, kids, this is going to form who they are and who they become. And what if they actually start to appreciate the small things that we're starting to appreciate right now instead of just the grind of everyday life. And what if they actually learn to do meaningful chores at home and learn the the value in that and learn how to you know, actually.
Speaker 2: Be I hear you know.
Speaker 3: The only thing I worry about with all of that is there's social skills when this is all said and done, you know what I mean, That's the only thing I worry about. But yeah, you know, we got this kid reading, you know, she's on site words and we're trying to get her to read and stuff like that, and we're working with math and all of that stuff. But at the end of the day, it's like, you know, there's something special about being around other children their age to interact with, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: It's so true. I know, my heartbreaks for only kids who are you know, having to go through this right now with no kids to play with. It's really hard.
Speaker 1: The show ends with Hallelujah by John Cale, which has been covered by lots of folks. I thought this was a particularly beautiful rendition, and again I think it was the first real time I noticed the show ending with a sweet, somber, uplifting song in a beautiful way cutting to the montage, and I got I wrote down, I got goosebumps at twenty fourteen when we all three whip our heads around, yeah, revealing that we've all it's not one in three in this case, the odds have fallen, so we've lost three of three. I got goosebumps up and down my arms at that moment. I thought that was really beautifully done.
Speaker 5: Absolutely so shocking when that happens, right Like, as a viewer, I think you're not expecting that. You're kind of waiting for that statistic that they set up at the beginning.
Speaker 2: And then we end the show.
Speaker 3: And this is what I was saying a few episodes before, Sarah, you weren't here for this, but it's really important for doctors to be able to pick themselves back up after something like this happens. And you know, it's also very important that this happens to these young doctors at an early time, so they do know how to set up boundaries and do know how to set up balls to help them be professional. It's tragic that it has to be death that does it, but yeah, you know, to lose someone you care about and then show up the next day at that job, it's very difficult. I can't I can't imagine it. I find it difficult to watch and it's very difficult to experience.
Speaker 2: I would imagine.
Speaker 5: And that was that, and that piece of It's so cool that the show kind of owes that right after, with all, you know, Churt going back and introducing himself to the patient, Jad taking the time to go be on the grass, Elliott kind of figuring out how to take charge. And that was kind of cool too. Johnny's conversation with Elliott when he says, you made the right call, you did, and she says, I know, and I don't. I didn't remember that. And when I saw that, I, you know, just sort of having her take that confident position.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was really powerful. I was really powerful. I thought, Okay, listen, guys, we did it. We did it. I'm so glad Sarah we had you because we wanted to have you on this one, because we all keep saying this was a very special episode for all of us, and thank you for for coming on. And I hope you know we're having fun doing this. I hope that Donald and I both hope that you'll come as as as many times as you're willing to and and rewatch the show with us.
Speaker 5: I loved it. It was so fun, so fun to do.
Speaker 2: So is that a yes?
Speaker 1: Was that a yes? That was a very non chemical very that is?
Speaker 6: That is?
Speaker 5: I'm in you? Just you can know where I am, Guys, I'm not doing anything.
Speaker 1: How do you say? How do you say goodbye? And Canadians?
Speaker 2: I think it's goodbye? Wait? Is it something like? That's French?
Speaker 1: That's well, you know there's a lot of them speak French up there, Donald Bilingo country here, guys?
Speaker 6: Is it?
Speaker 1: Yes? On that note? Donald, if you'll lead us in song?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 5: Why god?
Speaker 2: Donald?
Speaker 5: Why can't I lead us in song?
Speaker 1: Sorry? You can lead us in song? We will now, Donald, Countison, please one two? I prefer when you count down like DeBie.
Speaker 2: Okay, you got big dreams, you take the monologue. This time fame costs and right here is where you start paying.
Speaker 4: The sweat by six stories, I'm not sure we made about a bunch of.
Speaker 1: The story. Next all should know
Speaker 4: So Gadder Rado here, hop Gatherer rad you here, Hobbs Butch, We watch your Witz and and no