Speaker 1: Welcome in to jag Zam.
Speaker 2: I'm kan Nannie Stevens, Brian Sexton and John Oser are with me. It's week fifteen and Jaguars were winners last week against the Titans. We're gonna get right into things with our big things and the first one is want to There's still four games left for the season, no postseason chances, but this team is focused on what is ahead.
Speaker 3: You get asked a lot about your team and where we are on our record and this and that. But I mean, you guys see it when you watch the game. Our guys they fight to the end. They don't quit, they battle. Yesterday we were able to make the place right at the end of the game. Defense stepped up huge at the end to really you know that fourth and two, you know throw and then the last one at the end of the game game you know what about the eight or nine yard line there, you know to stop him on fourth down as well. You know, those are all plays and things that we keep talking about, and yesterday we were able to finish that and finish the game, and then that was really good to see.
Speaker 1: Brian.
Speaker 2: At this point in the season, I think every game it's almost like is this the point where things kind of drop off, but they still have four games left and we're still.
Speaker 1: Seeing that effort there. Obviously, we saw it last week in Nashville.
Speaker 4: You know, Kyle, we talk all the time about how many young players there are in this roster who are starting to climb a little bit. You know, we've seen Brian Thomas Junior all season long, and Teg Bigsby when he's been healthy in the lineup. Last week, we saw Jerry and Jones. We've seen Ventrel Miller, Brenton Strange. These guys they're too new in this thing to understand this. They what they know is is they go out and play football on Sundays. And that's why I think you still see a lot of the fight because there are plenty of young guys on this roster who are still trying to prove themselves.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I've always thought that once you get to game day, players instinctively want to win. Sometimes during this time of year, it's when you're trying to get to game day, there's distractions. I've always thought that there's sometimes not pulling in the same direction.
Speaker 5: But they all want to win. They all want to put good tape out.
Speaker 6: So far, it still feels like there's a togetherness and there's a collective want to the players insistill be there. So look, in four games left in the season. History tells us that when you're out of it, there'll be a stinker somewhere and there'll be a couple where it all sort of stays together and they win. I expect them to win a couple of games, and I'll watch the stinker.
Speaker 5: When it has. Are you telling me there's another one coming? Didn't we see that in Detroit?
Speaker 6: Well, they weren't out of it yet, pointing when you're out of it. Human nature says there's gonna be a letdown at some point. But yeah, but Brian, to your point, there's been some stinkers. You're three and ten, something's gonna stink.
Speaker 2: That was a big enough singer. I don't think we need another one. What a big big number two, which is rookies. We're talking about energy from this team, a lot of that coming from the younger players, one of them having one of his best games so far. Jarion Jones talked about the sacking dot.
Speaker 7: Coach have been calling that pressure a little bit throughout the game, but he never lined up with me being to be in the blizz So this with the perfect time they lined up with me being a bliss and a little bit. That's kind of like one of my favorite days to do. So when the opportunity came, I made share with one of my best blisters.
Speaker 2: John Jarion Jones. They were forcing the ball to Ryan Thomas Junior. A lot of rookies had a good day in Nashville last week.
Speaker 5: Yeah give me fifty three. Uh, Jaron Jones is right.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think fans are starting to get the idea, this is the guy that's gonna be easy to pull forward going forward. And I did write it for Sunday that I thought the theme of the game was Brian Thomas Junior on offense, Jaron Jones on defense.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 6: Without either of those guys, they don't win that game. And Uh, all week, Brian, I've been saying, and we've talked about it, it's fun to watch these guys who instinctive football players. To use an old cliche, you get the idea that if you're all sitting around and said, hey, let's go play some football outside for free, they'd be all in immediately.
Speaker 5: So they're fun to watch.
Speaker 4: I think we've covered most of these young guys, but there are a few that I'd still like to see more of in the final month. John. I'd like to see Keilan Robinson, who's now active and we had been told back in training camp there was a situational role for him in the offense.
Speaker 5: Maybe we see that.
Speaker 4: Would like to see some more of Jordan Jefferson, the young defensive tackle who when he was in in mid October to mid November, made some plays, got a sack, powerful guy, really strong. Give me DeAndre Prince, you know, the fifth round pick from Mississippi, Who's a guy who's got the length, He's got all the prototypical the traits, the size, and he's still pissed. I'm told that he was trafted in the fifth round, hasn't obviously made enough progress to get on the field. But he's another one of those guys you could get excited about if in the final month he does get on the field and make some plays.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 6: Sorry, I am to the point Kai where everybody asked me, why should we care about these games because you.
Speaker 5: Are out of it?
Speaker 6: Does winning matter? I think winning matters. If the young guys were talking about are improving while they're winning. If after four more games you think, okay, they won three because this bunch of young guys looks good, then I think the answer is yes.
Speaker 5: It's more important than draft position.
Speaker 1: Very telling.
Speaker 2: Our final big thing is going to be pick up the pace. We haven't seen a ton from the offense, and they did win that game against the Titans, but it wasn't necessarily because of an offensive explosion.
Speaker 1: Brian.
Speaker 2: They seem to have a little bit better chance when they were going up tempo, getting the running game going and then forcing the ball to Brian Thomas Junior. Is that the way the rest of the way for the offense?
Speaker 4: The last thing you said, force the ball to Brian Thomas Junior. That's been a drum beat all season long. But if you watch Monday Night Football earlier this week, you saw the Cincinnati Bengals throw the ball eighteen times in the direction of Jamar Chase. He caught fourteen of them for one hundred and seventy seven yards and two touchdowns. So look, Doug will talk all the time about they have the play design to go in the direction of number seven. They're not new at this, but the quarterback and the defense will in many ways dictate where the ball ends up going. However, Zach, Zach Thomas, Zach Taylor, Taylor, there you go. I was thinking Hall of Fame linebacker Zach Taylor said, we can't throw it at him enough, John eighteen times.
Speaker 5: Just keep it simple.
Speaker 4: So throw the ball at Brian Thomas eighteen times next week against the Jets.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And you don't want to do it to the point where you're throwing in a triple coverage and getting picked. So you have to be creative about it. You have to make sure you're doing it the right way. Yeah, I mean, I say, pick up the pace. All quarterbacks or most quarterbacks who are young and figuring it out, like to pick up the pace because it makes decision making easier. You're throwing shorter, and it's all coming together quickly.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 6: The pace again, to me, isn't as important as getting the ball to Brian Thomas Jr. And getting some passes downfield. Uh so then everything's not compressed. I don't know what pace that means, but I think it's something they gotta work on.
Speaker 5: And Uh yeah, BTJ all the way.
Speaker 1: All right, stay with us here on Jagsam.
Speaker 2: We'll do a little this or that when we come back after the break. Welcome back to jag Zam, brought to you by Field's Auto, Jacksonville's premier luxury auto group. You can head over to Fieldsauto dot com.
Speaker 5: This this.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to jag Zam.
Speaker 2: We're gonna talk a little this or that as Jaguards are getting ready to take on the Jets this week. Another throwback jersey game, the second one of the year, and there's a my to go in the season. So we talked a little bit about some of the rookies. We're looking forward to seeing. Who's a player that really needs to show out these final four games or so, whether it's for a contract, whether it's to get at themselves a starting job. Who are you looking at that these four games is very important for individually?
Speaker 4: That is a great question and one that I hadn't really considered. I would say Devin Lloyd probably at the top of the list. He's been inconsistent in his young career. You can see the talent. He's better going forward, I think than dropping into coverage. But is a guy who is getting close to a contract and will have to prove himself, so he could use a couple of really good games, because he's been overshadowed by Ventre Miller all season long.
Speaker 6: I think a pretty obvious one would be Mason Smith obviously there. I'll go with Parker Washington a little bit. If he shows out, if he gives you four games like the Houston game hundred yards, then I think you say, Okay, this is a drafted guy. Would be the slot receiver if he's inconsistent, if he's not starting to approach that Christian Kirk level, which I'm gonna say he's gonna get there. But then all of a sudden you have to think, Okay, do we need you know, can he be part of your three? Do you feel good about him and Brian Thomas Junior? Or do you need something more there? He has potential to do that, but doesn't it sort of feel like he's still like we're still starting, like we're still trying to figure that out with him?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, Are we missing the obvious one here and that's Mac Jones? Well yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Think Mac obviously needs to He needs a contract. He's just done this year for his own career, especially if he wants to go try and be a starter somewhere else that will be dictated by this or being a backup wherever that might be. I think I would look at Antonio Johnson. I think he got the start this week at safety. Now with Darion Jones playing as well as he is, kind of getting that nickel role, which is originally I think where they saw Antonio Johnson just seeing if maybe he can play safety as well, so utilizing him in the last couple of games.
Speaker 1: See how that ends up.
Speaker 4: There's a bunch of guys in this rush. How about and Cisco?
Speaker 1: I mean that's a contract.
Speaker 4: He has not had a good season and is going to be looking to play somewhere next year. So for Andre Cisco the last four weeks. Watch they'll have three interceptions in the last four weeks.
Speaker 1: Turn it.
Speaker 4: That's kind of what he does.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 2: We've got four more games, as we mentioned, winnable on paper. If you guys were only going to win one of these four games, which one would you want to win? That would be Jets this week, Raiders Titans once again, and then the Colts will be the final game of the season.
Speaker 1: But they brought the Colts because the end of the area like the history there.
Speaker 6: But yeah, I mean it's it's always it's always fun to beat the Colts. Would be really cool is if the Colts were playing for a playoff ber and and you went into that house and won.
Speaker 5: So spoiler look all be on. So when they beat the Colts, I always smile.
Speaker 4: Yeah too, primarily because for so many years the Jaguars struggled to compete against Peyton Manning and the Colts. But in twenty twenty one, they came down here just needing to win against a three or two and fourteen teams with a rookie quarterback and an interim head coach, and the Jaguars knocked him off so much of that they painted the score in their locker room before the twenty twenty two season, and of course that didn't go all that well.
Speaker 5: So I say the Colts don't do that.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm gonna go with Jets because I want the prow of throwbacks to say and defeated.
Speaker 1: So I want that. This week says here, we'll.
Speaker 2: Talk a little bit about what's going on around the NFL when we come back after the break here in Jagsam. For eleven years, dream Finders Homes have been proud to call themselves the official homebuilder of the Jacksonville Jaguars and him does the dreamfinders homes dot com for all of the available inventory and Go Jags.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to jack Am.
Speaker 2: Normally we talk a little bit about what's been going on in the division, but we played the Titans, so you know what happened there, and the Colts and Texans were on a bye this week, so we're gonna talk a little bit about the team we are playing next week, and that's the Jets. They've lost four in a row. They fell in overtime to the Dolphins this week. Kind of a little bit felt like there may be last stand as well. I know they've been dealing with a lot coaching changes whatnot and kind of trying to figure everything out.
Speaker 1: Has it been going while there either.
Speaker 4: Well, they just missed Robert Salah on what October twelfth, and Joe Douglass has been gone for about a month now, and there's been all sorts of Aaron Rodgers has a prickly personality, and there's been sort of you know, banter back and forth, you know about personnel and about the owner. You just kind of feel like they're hanging on. That's in New York. That train wreck is when you want to get out of its way.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's They're very similar teams in a lot of ways. The Jags and the Jets expectations and then the Jets have lost seven games by six points or less. The Jaggars have lost seven by five points or less. So there are similarities in the sense that there's talent on both sides.
Speaker 5: The Jets have the capability of being really good offensively.
Speaker 6: Aaron Rodgers is playing better of late, so they're dangerous, but they're both kind of a mess. The Jets are unusual in the sense that most teams that make a mid season change don't do both coach and general manager. So there's very much a feeling of, you know, every team in that situation, I think, feels like you're just waiting to the end.
Speaker 5: The Jets really feel like, okay, we got four weeks of sort of a house of cards.
Speaker 6: Isn't the right thing, you know, just waiting with knowing what the leadership is going to be, just getting through to the end.
Speaker 5: So but they're very, very very good defensively and.
Speaker 6: The Jaguars aren't very good offensively, so that to me is a tricky matchup.
Speaker 5: For the Jags this week.
Speaker 4: Well, you also a defense here, but that's really struggling to stop the pass all season long. It's been historically bad in terms of explosive plays. And that quarterback is as good a mind as there is. He'll find your weakness and take advantage of somebody on a regular basis if you don't stop the run and force him to stand in the pocket a little bit longer.
Speaker 6: And the Jets a little bit are sort of an example of maybe change too quickly. I think they were two and three or two and four when they got rid of their coach, such a long season, and it's why it's very unusual. They've gone what like one and nine since then. So there is sometimes some benefit to just sort of stay in the course and see if you can work through this. But they didn't, and they clearly believe that a long term overall change was needed. When you committed to Aaron Rodgers, you were very much all in for the now. It'll be an interesting reset for New York at season.
Speaker 2: What that rebuild will and looking like will be interesting, for sure. Yesterday's Monday night football broadcast alternate broadcasts was The Simpsons for Monday Night Football with the Bengals at the Cowboys. We were lucky enough to be a part of the Toy Story broadcast last year.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you guys have got to check this out yet.
Speaker 2: But it was pretty cool what they were able to do with kind of the Simpsons set up for it, and it's just a cool experience. And I'm so I think it's so neat that they're being able to kind of incorporate these things into the game.
Speaker 4: It's not just a game anymore, is it. It's entertaining, Well, it is a game technically, yeah, right.
Speaker 5: Well, and.
Speaker 6: It's clearly younger audience and Simpsons, I get is in younger but trying to get other audiences to come.
Speaker 5: In and experience it.
Speaker 6: So yeah, it's an opportune time as well, because you had two teams that realistically are probably not going to playoffs, so you brain, you are meant to make an otherwise.
Speaker 5: Uninteresting game a little more interesting. So it's cool.
Speaker 1: What cartoons would you guys pick if you were going to pick a cartoon.
Speaker 5: To do, well, you gotta pick I mean, I gotta pick peanuts.
Speaker 6: So she can move the ball out of the way, right, she can't leave it there.
Speaker 1: She set a standard. Charlie Brown cannot get the football.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, I don't know how that many cartoons.
Speaker 5: On with this the one.
Speaker 6: What I can think of, a little.
Speaker 2: Little new tunes I think could be good. I think i'd probably go, well, my New England roots. I would go a family guy, just because Peter Griffin trying to play.
Speaker 5: Would be interesting. And anytime you can get Stewie involved a good day.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely sorry to get the football shape.
Speaker 5: That's true. Also you go with super Friends from the seven.
Speaker 1: There we go all the superpower skill players. I think we have a lot of good ideas. We'll see what comes up next for the next alternate cast. But I enjoyed the Simpsons one. If you haven't seen it, go check it out. Stay with us here after the break, we'll tell you what's going on the rest.
Speaker 7: Of the week.
Speaker 1: Here from the Jaguars.
Speaker 2: CHAGXAM brought to you by Dream Seats Jags fans. If you want customize Jaguarsh furniture for your home, checkout zipchair dot com to browse all the customizable options. Zip Chair is furniture for fans and also this week's game is brought to you by Hundai. Get a great deal on a new Honday at the Honday Getaway Sales event. Visit Hondai USA dot com today.
Speaker 4: We gotta make them bleep, we gotta make them blue. Make your second down and five Bigsby is the running back they give it to.
Speaker 7: Pitch me try on the left side.
Speaker 6: Hit the five step touchdown, the take for six and the Jaguars not the league.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, as tankos, the team goes. When he plays well, this team gets a win. And hopefully you can do that again this week against the Jets. That's miked up this week, we want to check it out. Had a victory micd up in a while, so definitely want to check that out at Jaguars dot com.
Speaker 1: Are you guys getting into this week?
Speaker 4: I'm going to chase down Phil Rausher to the offensive line coach.
Speaker 5: Back to back weeks.
Speaker 4: I know that there technically was a sack, but there was no yardage lost last week in Tennessee. So two really good weeks protecting Mac Jones and see what the formula looks like to keep that going against the Jets.
Speaker 6: Yeah, this team has pass blocked well, I mean it's it's uh with co Lannon in there as well, with Ton Harrison getting scratulated with sickness.
Speaker 4: And I told by Jeff Loggi and he played really well.
Speaker 5: And Cole's wont and out in the NFL.
Speaker 6: So and so is Josh I figured out. I'll I have Jaran Jones on the ozone podcast. And he's such an interesting guy sometimes when these guys come in as fifth year seniors, h I meaning having played five years in college, a little more maturity, a little more ready.
Speaker 5: Uh. He really strikes me as that guy who is gonna be a team leader.
Speaker 4: I have an extreme question for you. Yes, all right, So Aaron Rodgers is two and one at EverBank Stadium.
Speaker 1: Is that true?
Speaker 4: That's true? But he's never lost to the Jaguars. So who beat him?
Speaker 5: Saints?
Speaker 4: Right? Yeah? Opening Day twenty twenty one or twenty twenty two, the Saints had to move their home game out of New Orleans because of Hurricane Ida, and so they played it here because the Jaguars were on the road, and Aaron Rodgers and the Packers were taken apart by the Saints that day thirty eighty three.
Speaker 6: I think they almost had more wins in the stadium this year than it was close.
Speaker 5: It was going to be all right.
Speaker 2: We will get into that matchup against the Jets a little bit more on jag Zam tomorrow, so make sure you join us on Thursday.