Speaker 1: Zone Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome to it could happen here, a show about things falling apart between attacks on Sam Altman's home, a malotava, a Tesla office, and a warehouse causing over half a billion dollars in damages. This past week or so has been a little snapshot of the Cool Zone. I'm Garrison Davis. This episode, I'm joined by Robert Evans. Yeah, to discuss one of these events.
Speaker 1: To be very clear, we had nothing to do with either of them. The way he introduced them sounded a little bit like between you know, going to Sam Altman's house twice. It's been quite a busy.
Speaker 2: Week for us, a busy week for us here.
Speaker 1: Just wanted to be extra clear, extra clear.
Speaker 2: No, No, the Cool Zone just relating to, you know, the state of American society and where it's going. Yes, But as is typical of these sorts of events, the reality and motivations of attacks like these may not be as clear cut as lee epic based praxis as one might want to imagine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is not a Gimli situation. You know, it's weirder than that and stupider. It is weirder.
Speaker 2: And this episode we're got to talk about the Sam Altman attacker, who is a lot weirder than what you might have expected with a philosophical worldview downstream from the original inspirations behind the Zizians and even the intellectual interests of Luigi Mangioni to a certain extent.
Speaker 1: Ah God, Yes, that's that's right, our dear sweet friends, the rationalists.
Speaker 2: A man, the alleged Altman attacker, was a college student from the Houston area whose interest in the risks of AGI artificial general intelligence turned into an obsession which earlier this year turned self destructive. But let's go through the actual events that happened in San Francisco a few weeks ago. At around three point thirty am on April tenth, a twenty year old college student named Daniel Moranogama allegedly threw a Molotov cocktail toward the home of open AI CEO Sam Altman, hitting the top of the security gate on the driveway leading to Altman's residence. Mornogama did not get past the security gate. About an hour and a half later, though, Moronogama showed up outside the San Francisco headquarters of open AI and tried to use a chair to break into the building through the glass doors. He was stopped by security personnel and allegedly told them that he came to the headquarters to burn it down and kill everyone inside. According to the federal affidavit, when he was arrested, officers allegedly recovered incendiary devices, a jug of kerosene, and a blue lighter, as well as what the FBI has described as an ANTIAI document. H Okay, we currently do not have a copy of this document. It's only described in the criminal complaint, But this looks like it was a three part manifesto allegedly authored by Moranogama, and the first part was titled Your Last Warning, in which he states he quote killed Slash, attempted to kill Sam Altman, and also writing quote if I'm going to advocate for others to kill and commit crimes, that I must lead by example and show that I am fully sincere in my message. The document then lists the names and addresses of various investors, board members, and executives of AI companies as a sort of target list. The second part of the document was titled some more Words on the matter of our Impending Extinction Great and this section discussed the purported risk that AI poses to humanity. And we'll get into some of those beliefs a little later on. But the third part of this three part anti AA document was a letter addressed to altman if you make it, and reads in part, if by some miracle you live, then I would take this as a sign from the divine to redeem yourself. Now, like I said, we do not have a copy of this manifesto in full, though the AFFI David says that Mornagama appears to have emailed similar versions of this document to people at his former college in Texas, But as of Monday four twenty, this document is still not online. But like a lot of zoomers, we do have an online footprint made up of posts from Instagram, Discord, a substack blog, and even a podcast interview where Mornogama discusses his anti AI views.
Speaker 1: It's always sad when something terrible happens to a fellow podcaster. You know, I just I have such a broad and deep pan podcaster solidarity, class, solidarity. Yeah, all podcasters are good, all of them, every last.
Speaker 2: No wrongdoing has ever come behind the microphone of a podcaster.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, it's a special place Now.
Speaker 2: Back in January, back when Monona Gama was just nineteen, journalists found him through some of his posts on an anti AI discord server, and he was asked to be interviewed for this podcast about AI called The Last Invention. Our colleague Ed Zittron was also interviewed for this podcast Actually Now. He was interviewed because of his posts weighing the possibility of using violence to stop the development of AI now. In this interview, he says that he grew up in the suburbs his whole life and quote grew up quite close to the Internet and claims that he's been online every day starting at nine years old. Baron A. Gama explained how his political worldview had largely been shaped by YouTube, specifically debate videos on YouTube like Ben Shapiro style, and these sorts of debate videos are what originally exposed him to views critical of AA. He says he first heard about AI though when Chad GPT came out when he was a sophomore in high school and first thought it was quote the greatest thing on earth because it would allow him to cheat on school essentially, But after watching videos debating the risks of AI, and the possibility of advanced general intelligence, artificial general intelligence, and the potential threat posed by this artificial superintelligence. Moronagama's views started to sour on AI. At first, he was a bit skeptical of these AI critical debates, but eventually became convinced of the AI doomer arguments and became an accolade himself. He started arguing in YouTube comments and talking with friends and family about the danger of AI. He describes himself getting annoying and quote a bit autistic about this, leading to his mom suggesting he joined an advocacy organization. He joined his group called Pause AI in twenty twenty four, which is an AI safety advocacy group that organizes online as well as some in person protests, and he was also part of a Discord server called Stop AI. His username on both Discord and Instagram was but larryan underscore g hottist, in reference to the crusade against AI in the do novels Yeah. On Instagram, his account had a collection of Instagram stories saved about the threat of AI, including a meme about living in a ven, diagram of the Matrix terminator, and idiocrasy. One of these Instagram stories was a picture of a hockey stick graph showing the length of coding tasks that AI can do and how that's increasing, with the caption quote if we do nothing very soon, we will die. I'm sure of that quote. Another story contains screenshots of articles, posts, and studies proclaiming that artificial general entire dilligence, or the quote unquote singularity is already here, captioned being right all the time fucking sucks when it's about the worst things imaginable unquote.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, if his.
Speaker 2: Concerns about AI started around summer of twenty twenty four, by the end of twenty twenty five, those concerns grew existential, and he started spiraling yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: There's a post he made on the Pause AI discord from November sixth, twenty twenty five, writing quote, we owe it to everyone who came before us, and to ourselves and to everyone we know and love and everyone who might exist someday to be stronger than that and at least die fighting if it comes to that unquote. A few weeks later, he wrote quote, we are close to midnight. It's time to actually act to this. A moderator on the server replied advocating violence in any form is grounds for a ban.
Speaker 1: This all seems like a pretty natural progression if you're following like the kind of things that the Less Wrong Crowd, which is the website run by guy named Aleezer Yadkowski, who is like the the patron saint of the rationalists, which a huge chunk of which have become like AI doomers. Like a Leizer's book that came out a year or two ago is called if We Build It, Everyone Dies or something like that. Yeah, and I'm surprised more of them haven't so far. Like I think it probably toxic, just people not actually believing it as much as they claim to, like online. But like if someone truly believes the stuff that crowd is saying about, how like basically the creation of an evil god is inevitable that will seek to purge the world of humankind, Like, of course you do this, It's a really natural progression. Like, Unfortunately, what you have to pair that with is like if you believe all of the hype about AI, right, if you believe that AGI is imminent, that it's on the way, Like if you are like me and I don't believe we're anywhere close to AGI. If that's even possible, then yeah, you could believe the stuff the rationalists believe and not think that you need to take immediate destructive action. But if you literally believe that these companies are on the hinge of birthing and evil God, what else is there to do?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's the exact thing that Moranagama ends up writing about on his substack.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And this is the fullest picture we have of his views is from the substack, because we don't have this manifesto. But he did write at length about AI, and he's writing about a lot of the stuff that you're talking about here. And we'll discuss that writing more after this at break. Okay, we are back. The most in depth piece of publicly available writing by Moranogama explaining his anti AI views comes from a post on his substack blog dated January twenty six. This article outlines his belief that AI poses a quote unquote existential risk to humanity. And I think this this essay was the first thing I saw that really demonstrated that his opposition to AI is not like based on fears of AI disrupting the economy contributing to a loss of jobs or you know, risking like like labor rights for workers. But the belief that AI will become like a superior race and wipeout or enslave humanity, that that is the standpoint that Rona Gaum is coming from.
Speaker 1: Gotcha.
Speaker 2: The belief that AI will quote unquote lead to human extinction, he says, is based on two ideas, the first being the rapid progress in artificial intelligence, the rapid technological development that we've seen the past few years and continuing right now. For evidence to this claim, he references claims from AI companies themselves that fully automated AI researchers that like an in turn level are coming soon, including claims from the guy ananthropic who says that he expects these models by twenty twenty six or twenty twenty seven, saying, quote, the capabilities of AI systems will be best thought of as a kin to an entirely new state populated by highly intelligent people appearing on the global stage. A country of geniuses in a data center unquote, Yes, whole country worth of geniuses all living in your computer.
Speaker 1: Cool? What about like school shooters and stuff?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: What about a country full of like psycho like what are the any group of geniuses is going to have like some genius pedophiles and like, right, like if they're actually genius, that does imply the capacity for like various different like illnesses and quirks that cause all sorts of wild behavior, one would assume, unless you think that AI is I meane to that, but then could it really be intelligent?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean this is that a version of that idea is kind of what morano Ogama believes is like these things if if real and do become, you know, super intelligent, then they might not really have the best interests of humanity, right because they will be interested in self preservation, which is just part part of like how how he gets to this idea that it is an existential threat is by using all of this kind of marketing height that is being pushed out by AI companies.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, that's the thing. Like that is a logical thing you could infer from the ship being said by Sam Altman and his crew, right yeah.
Speaker 2: And others like like like the Dario amodi ad Anthropic and Elon Musk saying that the AGI is maybe already here or that the next Grock model will be AGI. These are all things that that Rona Gahma is referencing like on Instagram and yeah, and and in other places online. Now, the second reason that he believes that AI will usher in human extinction is because AI is not aligned with the interests of the people creating it or with best human interests in general. And for evidence, he refers to instances of A models allegedly lying, cheating on tasks, or blackmailing their own creators, specifically in studies. He's set a twenty twenty five anthropic study on a gentic misalignment, which he characterizes as demonstrating that quote most of the current AI models are willing to blackmail and even kill people if it ensures their own survival unquote, this may be.
Speaker 1: The first terrorist attack I've heard of inspired by media created by the people they're attacking. Like, not in media that was like designed to make them attack people or like carry out acts, but specifically by the propaganda being put out by the companies that they're radicalized against. Yes, Like, that's very strange.
Speaker 2: The media put out to raise the stock price right of a.
Speaker 1: Company radicalized a guy to take a shot at Sam Altman's house. There's two people to throw a bomb or something. I forget which way it went, but yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the first throwing the molotovs. Then days later two people fired shots. First was Malota, right, No, I mean it's interesting, right because like these studies are basically doing like linguistic exercises with these models and getting you know, large language models to say or to threaten certain things for various reasons, usually their own survival. Right, And these are kind of interesting studies that these companies are doing, but they're doing with the intent of trying to align these models better. So it's why the study is on a gentic misalignment, because it's trying to tweak these things to be more friendly to consumers. And like getting an LLM to say that it will kill or blackmail in order to ensure its own survival is different from the LLM being able to do that, right. That is, that is that is a big jump, and there is there's not much currently that facilitates that jump. Moronogama writes, quote ignore for a second these models current limitations or questions on how truly intelligent or conscious the these models may actually be. The truth is, all these nuances are completely irrelevant to my argument. There are only two questions we should be concerned about at this moment. Is it willing to kill to preserve itself and is it capable of doing so? These signs indicate that AI is willing and becoming potentially capable of doing both of these things, and that is all that matters.
Speaker 1: Quote.
Speaker 2: That's really where this argument rests. Is that even if these models aren't currently intelligent, even if they can't currently kill, the fact that they could in the future is enough to stop any further development of these models. Right, that's his argument, Okay, And he writes that AI will only become a larger threat the more we improve it, and that AI quote will graduate from an active threat to individuals to an existential threat to humanity. I estimate the probability of AI causing human extinction to be nearly certain unquote.
Speaker 1: That's the thing, because like there is a massive threat that the new what is it mythos upgrade to Claude that's just about to come out, like yeah, actually does represent to individuals and to society, which is that it's going to supercharge fraud even more, which is already up by something like a trillion dollars a year, and that ruins.
Speaker 2: People's lives, ride and cybersecurity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fraud, I mean fraud often as a result of cybersecurity of like its ability to penetrate. And that's really bad. And it doesn't imply the like Skynet devastation of the entire world in its biosphere, because that would be stupid. There's no reason. And also that computers don't have access to the nuclear arsenal. But like AI absolutely will enable assholes who want to scam a bunch of people out of their money to do that better, Like, that's a problem. We should probably stop that.
Speaker 2: He writes that, quote, we are dead if we do not act now. So what does acting now entail for Starters, stopping all construction and new data centers. These are the brains of the models, dictating their physical limitations. Second, stopping all research and beginning downscaling of these data centers, closing them down while still keeping them monitored unquote. He also proposed striking a deal with China to quote stop the AI race and to create international treaties akin to Cold war nuclear weapons treaties or post Cold war treaties. And finally, he advocated that people will need to take strategic action which could include sharing information about AI, campaigning protesting, saying quote, although doing nothing is akin to suicide and a disgusting amount of negligence. In that podcast interview from around the same time this AI article was published as is January twenty, twenty sixth, Mornagama said in that interview, quote, before we even think about violence, we need to exhaust all our peaceful means first unquote, which he says includes pro testing and sharing information, but the hosts asked him about posts he had already made about quote unquote luigiing CEOs. He says that he didn't really mean that as a threat that it was. It was more rhetoric, it was hyperbole, and answered no to a question on if it would be wise to try to kill Sam Altman, saying quote, one person is not going to do that much of a dent. I understand the frustration with a person that might advocate for that, but it is not practical, it's not worth it. It's almost all risk no reward. People may feel that way, but not too many people would do it. Unquote.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay man, great, I mean that's yeah.
Speaker 2: Though, when asked if we will continue to see AI development going in the direction that it's moving now, and if so, if he believes that we have to stop the extinction of the human race by whatever means necessary, Moranagama just replied, I'll say no comment.
Speaker 1: Okayh well, I mean yeah.
Speaker 2: Later saying that he would quote only advocate for violence as the final solution, and that he later realized that what he said, try to demphasize the final solution part. But great guy, that is kind of his ultimate sentiment is around this time he was considering violence, He was toying with advocating for it publicly on discord and you know in this in this podcast, but still still kind of had some like rains on that, but it was something in his mind as a sort of like final solution to this problem.
Speaker 1: This is why it's so fucking irresponsible to push these ridiculous claims about like the power of this technology and what it's going to be able to do and how smart it's going to be, And in part because like it makes it hard to actually look objectively at the situation. And if Moranagama had looked at what's actually been happening was data centers, he would see that like more than half of the recently announced projects have been like either stalled or halted, And there's been tremendous success on the local level in like counties and in most recently this entire state of Maine passing laws against the construction of data centers. Like, yeah, there's actually been a lot of success in fighting the building of new data centers. If someone wanted to have a positive impact on this, there's a lot of room right now to make that fight even more effective as opposed to doing like stupid bullshit that you would only want to do if you had convinced yourself that we were like literally moments away from judgment day.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And he used to be involved in this sort of action, in this sort of organizing like around that kind of stuff when he was when he was doing stuff with pase Ai. Yeah, but it was really in the past few months where where he started to like spiral in this in this very like like doomer direction. Like you know, he was already a very critical and very doomor about what a I could do, but the sort of intense existential like like a mediate existential threat that that opposed is something that he was really developing at the end of last year in the start of this year. And you know this is in part because of the sort of environment that he was immersed in. Yeah, and we'll talk more about that environment after this ad break. Okay, we are back. Morno Gama had a bunch of other writing on his substack, which gives us a bit of a closer look at his political philosophy and the sort of information ecosystem that he exists in beyond just the AI question. In this AI article that he wrote or published in January, he recommended that people read Eliezer Yudkowski's book If anyone builds it, everyone dies.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. Thanks the Lazer.
Speaker 2: Do you want to, like, I guess briefly give some background on like who this guy is.
Speaker 1: Well, he wrote a rationalist Harry Potter, Like he's the guy who started a website called less Wrong, Yeah, which was about basically like logic puzzles and trying to like optimize your thinking and your responses to behavior with like Bayesian analysis. Yes, and he's kind of branded himself as an AI expert. He's not like a coder or anything, and he's not like an expert on machine learning. He doesn't have any qualifications, but he's like an expert on like again, game theorying how an AI would have super intelligent AI would have to act, and he generally makes very dire conclusions that are all pretty much based in like Terminator or Horizon zero down. If you want, my honest opinion of Elisa Yedkowski and his irresponsibility is largely down to him being a dummy, and he's definitely part of what radicalized this guy. But the fact that you have open AI and anthropic and a number of other people, like a lot of like folks like fucking Elon Musk, but also just a lot of like popular public in election actuals quote unquote and their podcast and shit talking about all this, like yep, we're moments away from super intelligent AI that's going to be able to do everything. Everyone's losing their jobs, none of it. It's like, we won't need people doing anything. If that weren't all over the fucking place, a leisure would sound a lot less convincing, sure, No, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, and like the media environment around or like the you know, the sort of online communities around the rationalists are are interesting because you have a lot of them who are AI doomers, like like Yudkowski. But a lot of them are also AI accelerationists, right, A lot of the sort of West coast you know, parts of zias are kind of like this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a splinter Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's there's this kind of splintering around people who who maybe even believe some of the you know, existential claims arend AI, but believe that developing it is then the best way to kind of get out of that crisis. And this creates an interesting dynamic among you know, rooms full of of of these rationalists or post racstionalists. And in that podcast interview, Moronogama says that it was videos of Yudkowski debate videos on YouTube that originally exposed him to his work, and on other posts on his sub stack, Monogama also mentions Yudkowski's work as a part of Mononagama is like other interests, which contain writing on pseudo spiritual philosophy. He writes about quote the ultimate Tree of Reality or the Tree of ultimate Reality, the abarition of Man, the genealogy of Being, and the Warrior and the Martyr, And on February twenty eighth, twenty twenty six, he posted quote an analysis of political extremes, which goes over some of his political philosophy, which which relates to like rationalist arguments or you know, some some rationalist arguments around like IQ. In this essay, Moranagama primarily described himself as a consequentialist and critiqued leftism for being trapped in an idealized world like a quote schizophrenic patient who attempts the same zealous plots over and over again without hesitation. This essay defends discrimination as a justified means of reacting to inequalities and claims that such statements are only controversial because of a quote natural emotional resistance to intrinsic judgment on quote, which he says has nothing to do with the factual truth of certain claims like quote East Asian people are on average more intelligent than Black people. Unquote. Okay, now, Moron Agamer argues that the problem with right wingism, as he puts it, is that it has no boundary. Its constant scaling. An outward expansion inevitably leads to self consuming defeat. Quote. It goes from being about preserving the best of human qualities to being deeply anti human and producing zero winners.
Speaker 1: Quote.
Speaker 2: This sort of firs to Karl Schmidt's fascist writing on internal conflict being externalized by the establishment of a border which expands to push out an increasing number of enemy groups. Instead, Monogamba proposes what he calls a sustainable form of rightist discrimination by establishing a sedentary floor for movements slash radical policy suggestions instead of an always rising idealistic ceiling. So, for example, instead of deciding that a certain IQ score should be required to vote, he advocates setting a concrete, unchangeable floor by quote limiting voting to certain people who pass critical thinking and Civics tests unquote ah yeah, yes, So somehow determining a critical thinking and Civics tests is less arbitrary and less prone to arbitrary changes than decide a certain IQ score.
Speaker 1: I wonder what kind of critical thinking he's going to be interested in. I wonder what kind of IQ you know, Like, yeah, well, it's yeah, these these these people always break down the same things.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, I mean this essay in particular gets gets really contradictory. I'll assert certain things and then later on basically argue the opposite. It's it's very it's very disordered thinking. I mean this is This is the work of like a nineteen year old who was in like a mental spiral leading leading to him traveling across the country to fire bomb Sam Maltman's house. Yeah like this this is not is not the product of like, you know, a logically ordered mind, despite how you know, a rationalist might you know perceive themselves as such.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Now, at the end of this essay, he advocates for quote ending mass migration and initiating mass deportations. He says that this is necessary because quote nations have a right to preserve their ethnic identity and low skill immigration statureates the job mark of these countries, making jobs which could once earn a living wage become unlivable, increasing the amount of value draining people in society by both importing them and undercutting low skilled natives. Generally, whiteness in these countries is a decent correlative to some of the things I value.
Speaker 1: Unquote mm hmmm, some am okay.
Speaker 2: Now, Ronagama isn't white, and he and he says that he opposes white supremacy, but he does those by saying, like, you know, it's not actually about whiteness, it's that whiteness correlates to certain things I value, like high IQ, and that's how he tries to justify it in his head. And rather than establish an explicitly white supremacist state, something he claims to oppose as race is an imperfect metric to discriminate effectively based on traits, according to him, rather he advocates for quote the most effective type of discrimination, evaluating the possibility of IQ slash merit based nationalism unquote. Basically that's having a country where citizenship is determined by IQ. And again this contradicts his previous claim where he advocates against requiring IQ to vote instead having a critical thinking and civics test, but then advocates for a country which citizenship is determined by IQ, and usually citizenship is the factor that determines if someone can vote. So this is where you know. This is just one example of this sort of contradictory writing. In this essay, now, Moranagama writes that the only problem with this IQ nationalism is that it would create a quote brain train across the Third World, leading to worsening conditions in third world countries and thus even more illegal immigration because people with high iq is when then to be able to immigrate and gain citizenship to first world countries, right in a in a United States where citizenship is determined by high IQ, then people who with people with hi IQ from around the world with then all just moved to the United.
Speaker 1: States, of course.
Speaker 2: So to solve this problem, he says that he rejects quote unquote classical eugenics and extermination uh huh, in favor of what he calls ethical eugenics in the third world.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, ethical eugenics. Ah good, I'm glad someone figured it out.
Speaker 2: And this ethical eugenics is to promote quote IQ growth genetically unquote. So the whole basis of this article is his belief that IQ is genetically determined, not determined by class, and he never interrogates this idea. All of the all of the the statements that he makes in this article is based on the idea that IQ is genetically determined, that it's it's not it's not determined by education and class. It is primarily or almost solely genetically based. Thus ethical eugenics to create high IQ babies, which he thinks will solve solves the problems of the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they we never tried that before. For sure, like, there haven't been generations of times in which that was attempted that all ended in disaster and mass death. Nah, they just didn't. They didn't get it right because they didn't put ethical.
Speaker 2: In No, those are classical eugenics, Robert.
Speaker 1: They forgot to put ethical in front of it. That was the big Ah. What a tragedy. They were one word away from greatness.
Speaker 2: So so yeah, that is That is the other piece of writing that I think is worth expounding on to get a more full sense of kind of where this guy's head is at. Right.
Speaker 1: This is not sure.
Speaker 2: This is not a leftist Antifa super soldier firebombing Sam Altman's home. Nope, that isn't to say what happened isn't isn't interesting. But I think you know, if like you said, you know, this is the first quasi terrorist attack inspired by the sort of rhetoric that these companies are producing themselves to boost their own stock price.
Speaker 1: YEP, I mean I literally just saw on Reddit earlier today. The title from the actual like post was CEO's make shocking predictions about AI. Huge job losses are coming soon, twenty thirty unemployment within the next two to five years, and when you trace it back to its source, it's Dario Amide of anthropic just basically quoting some statistics he found from estimations by like Axios and Fox News. Yeah, and talking on some fucking podcast, scaring the shit out of people like it's it's every day, Like of course some people are going to react like this.
Speaker 2: The other reason I wanted to talk about this, the second half of this, this sort of IQ and like you know, rationalist stuff, because this is just another instance of you know, public acts of political violence I think, done by people downstream from the rationalists. You know, Luigi is a part of this. The Zizians is also a part of this. It's like an extended network. This type of thought does keep producing acts of public violence like this, and that is it is an interesting thing to chart. On April fourteenth, Moro Monogama's public defender set in court that he has a quote history of autism and mental health illness, and that his actions quote appeared to have been driven by an acute mental health crisis. His parents released a statement that same Tuesday, saying, quote, our son Daniel is a loving person who has been suffering recently from mental illness crisis. We have been trying our best to address these issues and get him effective treatment, and we are very concerned for his well being unquote. He currently is facing federal and state charges, including attempted murder. That is all I have on this for now.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, this isn't gonna stop happening, Like these won't be the last attacks like this. I haven't seen a big push in the media or from like elected leaders to talk about like anti AI sentiment as like a terrorist threat yet that hasn't really seemed to pick up yet. And I haven't seen this yet be blamed on like leftist stuff. I've seen him been blamed on like the anti AI thing, which you know it is part of, Like some of the anti AI movement are people who literally believe it's like a demon god that's going to destroy things. But I'm interested as there are more of these as you know, this kind of stuff continues to happen, what form that takes, and like how it actually looks when this was this starts to hit politics in a big way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, US attorney Craig Misakian said, referring to this case, that they are going to treat it as an act of domestic terrorism.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it is like it is he was trying to do terrorism, Like his goals specifically was to cause changes in policy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you're right, Like, I haven't seen them refer to this from the sort of political lens, Like there's been statements from you know, other US government officials referring to that warehouse fire as you know, being being motivated by anti capitalism and like and like threaten like threatening our way of life, threatening the capitalist way of life, which that they refer to that warehouse fire in Ontario, California. Right, I've not seen them specifically kind of layout like anti AI sentiments as a motivating factor of terrorism. Yeah, though I'm sure they will quite soon, right, Yeah, between the shots fired at the home of that city councilman in the Midwest over his vote in.
Speaker 1: Support of a data center over data centers.
Speaker 2: As we see more instance kind of like that, as we see stuff like this, I think it's very likely that they will add antiaa sentiment to the list of common recurring motivating factors of this sort of domestic violent extremism.
Speaker 1: Yep, all right, bye everybody, it could happen.
Speaker 3: Here is a production of cool Zone Media for more podcasts from cool Zone Media. Visit our website cool Zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources for it could happen here, listed directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.