Speaker 1: I Am All in again, I.
Speaker 2: Am All in Town Meeting with Suzanne French and Tara suit An iHeartRadio podcast. Hey guys, welcome back to another episode of I'm All in Town Meeting with myself, Tara and Susanne.
Speaker 3: Hello.
Speaker 2: Hello, and this is a special episode. It's not our usual recap. We've done a couple of special ones, like our pale Fest, our Connecticut trip, but this one's kind of interesting because, uh, we want to continue the conversation from Amy and Danielle talking to Donna from Star TV because she brought up a really interesting question. Yes, so she brought up at the end of their episode, and definitely feel free to go back and listen to the Gazette Yeah from the other day. So basically what she said is, given that Lorelai was so determined to break away from her family and create her own path, why did she choose to name her daughter after herself and her mistakes continuing the family name. And this is basically what Donna said from Start TV. And before we get into it, Suzanne, Yeah, for the fans who are going to come at us, we know that it's explained in the show, right and it was mentioned in season one, episode two, the Lorelei's first day at Chelton. So I just will kind of let you go from here, Suzanne, Can you kind of explain, because you meant you actually before we jumped on, said that it's mentioned twice in the show, right.
Speaker 3: So it's mentioned in two different places, right at the very beginning season one episode one, Season one, episode two, and in the pilot in the scene where Rory meets Dean at Childon, she drops her books all over the floor and they introduce themselves, and she says her name, and then she says, it's my mother's name too. She named me after herself. She was lying in the hospital thinking about how men name boys after themselves all the time, you know, so why couldn't women. Her feminism just took over, although personally, I think a lot of demarol also went into the decision. So that was from the pilot episode and then the very next episode, which is where they go to Chilton and they're checking in with the secretary at the desk and Laura's kind of stumbling over her words a little bit, and she says, Oh, I'm Laura like Gilmore. This is my daughter, Laura like Gilmore. I named her after me I was in the hospital all whacked out on demarol. And then then she says, but we call her Rory. It's short for Laura I or even hey you, So we know right there that it. The show explains it as like her feminism kind of took over. But it's an interesting question. Yeah, you know, Donna had kind of tied it into you know, Connecticut high society and the expectations of honoring your family, et cetera. I don't know, I personally, I didn't read that much into it because she also points out Donna also pointed out that Laura I was like a sixteen year old at the time, So a rebellious sixteen year old probably is not thinking about, oh, let me honor my family with this decision, like she's just gonna blurt something out.
Speaker 2: No, she probably like gave birth and she's like, well, I can't think of a name, so I'm gonna name her after myself.
Speaker 3: Right, So I think you could. I think you can interpret it on multiple levels.
Speaker 2: It's like terrible, terrible comparison. I'm not comparing people to animals, but you know, when like a kid names a puppy, right, you know, it's an interesting name.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it is an interesting thing to think about because when you think about Richard's mother was also Laurel I, and so there was a decision made to name how do I say, to name the Lauren Graham Laura I after the Mary and Ross Laurel I. Not to get the Laurel lies confused, but like they consciously made a decision to name their baby after his mother, which would have been you know, like, yeah, they were trying to do that, like they were trying to honor their family, whereas the younger Laurel I may not have been thinking that way.
Speaker 2: At what points did she say, but her nickname's going to be Rory.
Speaker 3: Yeah. That's another question that comes up a lot, is how do you how did where did Rory come from?
Speaker 2: That's that's the thing is like I wonder if and tell me if I'm wrong or if you know, people we can have a bigger discussion on our Instagram at iam all in podcasts if you want to believe a comment, but was could it also have been like she liked the name Rory and Rory could be a spin off of Laura I. Because of the law Rory I don't know, I'm like really stretching it, but yeah, like where did Rory come from?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: And and that's the one thing that is never explained in the show, Like they don't ever tell us where Rory came from. And I've seen a lot of people. There's a lot of different opinions out there.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Some people think, well, maybe it came from Rory herself couldn't pronounce her own name because they are hard for little kids to say, and so maybe maybe Rory came up with Rory. You know, we don't know, so we could take our imaginations in any direction. We reade that one.
Speaker 2: Our producers, Jackie and Emma, grabbed a couple Reddit user comments because when in out Reddit has talked about everything under the sun. Yes, so I'm going to read a couple these are just from anonymous users. Someone said, I think the name also emphasizes with the fact that Laura la I sometimes views Rory as an extension of herself and wanted Rory to do the things she herself never got the chance to do, probably a coping mechanism which made it easier to give up so much in order to raise her daughter all by herself.
Speaker 3: I think that makes sense. You know, we've we've talked about already how Laurai was so independent and I, you know, she made the decision to not get married to Christopher and to do this on her own, and I think that makes sense to a certain extent, that she she wants Rory to just be hers.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, here's another one. This one says and here I am with the idea for the past upteen years that Lorelai named her daughter Laurai Ilmore as a sort of second chance by giving herself a do over, a figurative a figurative clean slate, a chance at erasing all of her and her parents' mistakes and getting Laura l I right the second time around. I kind of thought that was the whole point in everything she did in raising Rory from the start of the series, which is another really interesting point.
Speaker 3: It yeah, it is. But again going back to the fact that she was sixteen at the time, I don't know that she was like, she was still so young. I don't know that she was necessarily thinking of having a do over at age sixteen. I think that would have made sense, you know it when we start the show in her thirties.
Speaker 2: Right, But as a sixteen year old.
Speaker 3: Right right, yeah, but it's a good point that could be.
Speaker 2: Another one said was she high on demarol or did she think men name babies after themselves all the time? Why can't women?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Which is which is what she said in that.
Speaker 2: Which is what she says. Yeah, yeah. And then the last one we have is I think it would have been interesting to see a flashback of her deciding on Rory as the nickname. This person's thinking, like I am, like when she saw her for the first time or did it come later, I don't know, just something I wonder about. Yeah, that's where I think I've had this thought before, but I just never vocalized it because it was just me in my room watching No More Girls. But like, truly, like I would love if I were ever in the presence of Amy Sherman Palladino. That would be my next question is why the nickname Rory? Yeah, but I feel like then Amy would say something like, well, it would be really confusing if we had Laura and LOURAI.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, right, but Rory is is like why not you know Laurie or Laura or you.
Speaker 2: Know something, or would have made more sense yeaeah, Like, Rory.
Speaker 3: Is a very specific name and there's a lot of there's men named Rory.
Speaker 2: So I was about to say I have a friend named Rory and he is a grown man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it was an unusual choice, and I agree. I would like to ask Amy, like, how did she how did she pick that name when she was writing it all out?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, Well, I guess the conversation can continue. I guess we can go back and forth about this a lot. I know we would love for people to head to our Instagram at im all In podcast to comment your thoughts because we really want to hear your theories, so leave it in the comments. Yes, and thanks again to Donna from Star TV, which is the brand new home of Gilmore Girls, for coming up with this question that kind of then trickled from their podcast episodes to ours. And you can catch a show every weekday at five pm four Central and again at eleven pm ten Central. So go to start tv dot com and see how you can watch where you live.
Speaker 3: Meeting adjourned.
Speaker 1: Dot dot
Speaker 2: Everybody, and don't forget follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com