Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Made it to a Friday, and it's a Meet Friday at that Gang's all here ready to go, my starting five Fritzy seat and Marv Paul yours truly got a really really busy show here. Mark Schlereth NFL on Fox Analysts will join us in about fifteen minutes from now check in with the Cowboys with the great reporter ed Warder Hall of Famer Steve Young will stop by. John Fogerty, eighty years of age, former lead singer of Creden's Clearwater Revival and his bat Shape guitar is going into the Baseball Hall of Fame. He of course gave us that great song center Field. So John will join us a little bit later on as well. You can dive in variety of ways. You can dial us up eight seven to seven three DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show Good morning if you're watching on Peacock, and we say good morning to our radio affiliate as well. It is a Meat Friday beef sirloin roast and we also have roast beef sliders. We have mashed potatoes corn on the cob asparagus. Woooo has it better than we do nobody. Stat of the Day brought to you by the great folks at Pinini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. And this first hour brought to you by Maco. Uh oh, better get Maco. Most cars on the road could use a little TLC. That's what Maco does better than anybody. They bring your car back to life. Affordable paint jobs like collision repairs. Get a free estimate today. Uh oh, better get Maco. Play the day Pole question stat of the Day, All of that forthcoming. The SEC is going to a nine game conference schedule. We'll talk about that, what that really means for strength of schedule and what it means for the college football playoffs. It's week zero starting tomorrow. PGA Tour Chachampionships underway and Scotti Scheffler a hum seven under opening round. We'll talk about that as well. NFL preseason this is week three.
Speaker 3: This is it.
Speaker 2: This is when cutts start today, all weekend and Monday, and Jerry Jones and Michaeh. Parsons agent's agent are kind of jabbing each other, going back and forth. Jerry was on Michael Irvin's YouTube show and had a couple of things to say. So he talks about what he's willing to pay Micah and on how Micah's agent has messed up the negotiations. Let's start with what Jerry is willing to pay MICHAEH.
Speaker 3: Parsons.
Speaker 4: I have agreed to give more money than has ever been given in terms of guaranteed money than anyone ever has as far as a defensive player. Mike has got three years with Cowboys LIT. At some point somebody has to have the say over. The other job is managing the check. Mike has got to do the play. What is the least incremental part of the whole equation the attorney or the agent he works for Micah.
Speaker 2: Okay, he tried to backdoor the negotiations by excluding Michael Parson's agent and going to Micah. You're not allowed to do that, and he admitted doing that. Whereas years ago he would go to the agents and then he would negotiate. Now he wants to take the agents out. He wants to talk to the player. Here is Jerry Jones talking about Michael Parsons agent screwing things up.
Speaker 4: We wanted to send the details to the agent. The agent soldiers to Bepper asked. Mike and I talked, and then we were going to send it over to the agent and we had our agreements on term amun guarantees, everything. We were going to send it over to the agent, and the agent said, don't bother because we've got all that to negotiate. Well, we've got this theory resolved in my mind for the dollars cowboys, and we've got it done. And if the agent wants to finish up the detail, which is should and we're ready to go. But as far as the amount of money, the years, the guarantees, all of that, we negotiate.
Speaker 2: Okay, can we go back to the beginning of that, because did we bleep out.
Speaker 3: The wrong thing?
Speaker 2: Did weep? We bleep out stick instead of ass? Okay, Marvin, can you just play the beginning.
Speaker 4: We wanted to send the details to the agent. The agent solders, ass.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: It makes it sound like he said something really bad leading up to bleep up your ants.
Speaker 3: That's hilarious, Marvin. Did you do the bleeping here?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: I had to touch this, okay, shifted play it one more time.
Speaker 4: We wanted to send the details to the agent. The agent sodas as.
Speaker 3: Okay, Paulie, you're the executive producer, right.
Speaker 5: I think that the back room was trying to downplay the act of the phrase by getting rid of the word stick and the word ass really is not a big deal on national radio. I think that's what they were doing. Stick isn't either, right, but they by getting rid of the word stick, you kind of dumbed down the action that's being described by.
Speaker 2: Well now, I really you know, I was like, wait a minute, what did he say? And then I soul it was written out and it said, you know, stick it up, you know my ass?
Speaker 3: And I'm thinking, we just bleeped out stick. Yeah.
Speaker 6: See, it's like pixelating someone's belly button and not their genitals.
Speaker 3: That's essentially what we just did.
Speaker 5: Which we may have done.
Speaker 2: This is why we don't win a sports him. You know, this is why Paulie's going and checking with the back room guys. Uh oh, there's going to be bleep to pay. Paulie's going to tell them to bleep it up their ass. What's the poll question today?
Speaker 3: I wonder if we actually did that in house or not.
Speaker 2: Uh I hope I did it come likestgation.
Speaker 3: The motto of our news team.
Speaker 1: Is if good journalism is wrong, well then we don't want to be right.
Speaker 3: Let's go to the newsroom.
Speaker 5: We're calling it as Kate dan uh. The IT team just went back and the entire BRG conglomerate, all of them said, we had nothing to do with that. We didn't edit it, tweet do anything to it. Marvin said he did not edit it. So it may have come to us in that fashion.
Speaker 3: Marvin, that's exactly how it came to us. Okay, on my son's oh you don't yeah your bleep, I.
Speaker 7: Swear I bleep.
Speaker 3: Where did it come from that piece of sound? It came from bleep.
Speaker 8: No, it came from all like iHeart sends us okay sound every single day.
Speaker 3: So that's where I got it from. And so and it was funnier this way, was it not?
Speaker 5: Fairpoint?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm listening to it and I'm not even hearing the rest of what Jerry's saying. I'm only hearing about Wait a minute, what did we just bleep out? If we didn't bleep out a us Okay, we're just getting started here.
Speaker 3: Whole question today.
Speaker 9: I just want to roll with this. I listened to them. They told us to bleep it up our Here's one from Paul who had the wonkiest career. What might I also say made perhaps the choppiest career. Oh that's Polway's great description.
Speaker 3: Love it. Steve Young, Kurt Warner, Nick Foles.
Speaker 5: Other Okay, this is based on.
Speaker 3: This an interesting list, Yeah, really is.
Speaker 5: It's based on Steve Young's career. Steve Young was a first ballot Hall of Fame quarterback without making a Pro Bowl or All Pro before the age of thirty. Including the age of thirty. He did all his work from thirty one to thirty seven. That is as unique as it gets in sports. We're actually looking for a comp Nick Foles. Nick Foles made a Pro Bowl at age twenty four. He had twenty seven touchdowns and two picks for Philly with the Chip Kelly era. Then he bounced around the league five different teams, and then he was a Super Bowl MVP against Tom Brady. That's his career, two things. And then Kurt Warner it takes a while getting the league, starts at age twenty seven, becomes an MVP and wins to Super Bowl. The Rams bounces around injury to the hand and then he takes the Arizona Cardinals close to a Super Bowl victory. Most Wonkee.
Speaker 2: Well, we saw Kurt Warner do something incredible with the Greatest Show on Turf, and then he was a backup to Eli and then to take the Cardinals to the super Bowl. I mean, that's a big turnaround for somebody that we thought his career was over. I don't know if we expected anything out of Nick Foles. He had the one year with Chip Kelly and that was a great year, but then do you go from that to being the Super Bowl MVP. Steve Young had a lot of talent. He was in the USFL. I think one of the great athletes we've had at that position. But thirty years of age, thirty one years of age to become a Pro Bowl quarterback, that's pretty remarkable. I don't know has anybody ever gone into the Hall of Fame not making a Pro Bowl or an All Pro before they were thirty one years of age, And unless it's a kicker, I don't know if there's anybody else that would have followed that formula.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Paul, we're looking it up.
Speaker 5: Because most guys do most of their damage from age twenty five to thirty Pro Bowls All Pros and their resume. The one that I thought might be in there would be Roger Staubach at the Cowboys, because I don't think he started playing to age twenty seven and he didn't really get the starting job. I just looked it up. Roger Stauback's first Pro Bowl, All Pro. He was twenty nine years old, his first year as the full time starter with the Cowboys, and then from age thirty three to thirty seven he was a Pro Bowl every year.
Speaker 3: He's close.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good comp because Roger was splitting time with Craig Morton wrecked and you wonder Roger Stallback and Steve Young were similar. They were really athletic quarterbacks, one right handed, one left handed. Roger had the military commitment at Navy and Steve bounced around, played in the USFL. He was with Tampa. But the fact that the Niners trade for him and he sits for four years, four years behind Joe Montana. You wonder what he would have been like if he was playing at twenty four twenty five. And you wonder with Roger Staubach, if he started playing, what if Steve Young does not get traded to the Niners. What if Joe Montana doesn't get traded to the Kansas City Chiefs.
Speaker 7: Wow?
Speaker 2: You know, the sports is filled with these kind of stories like if that doesn't happen, then that doesn't happen. But we'll talk to Steve Young a little bit later on and Mark Schlereth will join us coming up the NFL on Fox. Annaly's former Denver Bronco offensive lineman. What other pole question are we entertaining today, Seaton?
Speaker 6: Yeah, we're running with that one hour one. We're also going to put up a second pole question. Is a better word to describe their career as wonky or choppy?
Speaker 3: That that is part due? Okay, Paulie loves him some chopping.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it might be choppy because Nick Foles early greatness, late greatness, Kurt Warner early greatness, late greatness.
Speaker 3: They're all interesting people in their own right. Yeah, all right.
Speaker 2: Would you rather have Steve Young's career or John Fogerty, Oh, that old question. I'm gonna have to take John Fogerty. He's eighty and he's still playing, and he's in a few he's in a few Hall of Fames, he's in the Songwriting Hall of Fame, He's in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and now his baseball bat shape, guitar and the song center field going into the Baseball Hall of Fame, Yes, Martin.
Speaker 3: But I'm sure Steve Young's in a few hall of Fames himself.
Speaker 2: Okay, Greenwich, Okay, mister forty nine er defender here, Okay, I'm not.
Speaker 3: Saying it because he's my favorite quarterback ever. I just yes, Paulie Dan.
Speaker 5: You're gonna love this. We're gonna do the quick Steve Young game if you have time for it.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 5: Other than Steve Young, there's only one other quarterback who didn't make a Pro Bowl till after the age thirty and got into the Hall of Fame, modern era, modern era, eighties, nineties guy. And remember, there's a reason he wasn't in the NFL early in his career. Wasn't even in the NFL. There's the hint, So.
Speaker 3: Jim Kelly, Nope, but that's a good guess. Warren Moon.
Speaker 5: Warn Moon is correct.
Speaker 3: Warren Moon.
Speaker 5: He played seven years in Canada. He joined Houston but didn't make the Houston Oilers. He didn't make a Pro Bowl till age thirty two and then made nine straight.
Speaker 3: All right, let's take a break.
Speaker 2: We settle on our poll question and I believe phone lines your jam, so we'll get to phone calls as well to meet Friday. Morale is extremely high. Well, let me check in with Todd.
Speaker 3: Morale is extremely high. Good. You feel good? I feel great great? All right, well then I do too, because I live vicariously through you.
Speaker 5: That's very kind.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: By the way, I'll give you my review of the Dallas Cowboy documentary on Netflix.
Speaker 3: I'll have that for you coming up as well.
Speaker 2: Take a break. We'll come back with Mark Schlareth of Fox, and we'll do so.
Speaker 1: After this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 10: He's Mike Krmen, I'm Dan Bayern. We have a fantasy football podcast called I Want Your Flex.
Speaker 1: That's right, Dan.
Speaker 11: Every week we're gonna scour the waiver wire to find the pickups to turbo boost your fantasy lineup, sit starts, fantasy football players rankings to get you ready to dominate the competition.
Speaker 10: Listen to I Want Your Flex with Mike Carmon and met Dan Byer on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts and wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Pickleball is booming and Tyroll is leading the charge. These are the first shoes built for pickleball and they are great. Uh, They're gonna outlast your tennis shoes. They're a better grip comfort t y R O L. Remember the name, Play Longer, move quicker, and look like a pro at Tyrol pickleball dot com. Before we get to Mark Schleareth Shadd in Vegas joins this shad what's on your mind today?
Speaker 12: Jarnie Fellas, how are you great?
Speaker 4: Good?
Speaker 8: Hey?
Speaker 12: I just wanted to confirm and and and vouch for your back row guys. That clip from Jerry Jones I heard yesterday here in Las Vegas yesterday at around three thirty in the afternoon, and they believed out the same phrase. And I was wondering what was so offensive with stick? But I can vouce for your boys. You're stilling the money for an SB.
Speaker 3: Thank you an s B. I take S too. I got a better chance of winning an Academy award. Eric and La Hi, Eric, TP, what's up?
Speaker 13: Yeah, I'm doubling down on the i TM investigation report here on our stick bleeping Okay, so I had a lot of windshield time yesterday. You guys are on AM five seventy and SoCal, A bunch of the other national broadcast folks were laughing about the same thing. Why did we blue out stick? I'm listening to Jason Smith and harmon yesterday evening. They're laughing about it. In real time. They bring on the kid I'm going to forget his name, but the kid who was doing editing for Cabino and Rich figured out that the act itself is.
Speaker 14: What is going to be questionable for the commons legal folks. So they went ahead and went with stick instead of acts.
Speaker 3: And there we have it.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, thank you. We have reporters part of our IT team all over the world. Here, Marvin, play that you know once again for context. Before we get to Mark Schlare, here's Jerry Jones.
Speaker 4: We wanted to send the details to the agent. The agent soldiers as.
Speaker 3: The best.
Speaker 2: We make the smooth segue to Mark schlarev NFL on Fox Analyst, three times Super Bowl champ working with Renegade Fantasy follow that stink.
Speaker 15: Yeah, well, you know what, I can't follow that, but stink is appropriate for uh for that comment. So we're good by the way your sp comment, happy grabbing up. I can't wait to see you get an Academy award.
Speaker 7: It's gonna be awesome. dB.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when does the Michael Parsons situation get your full attention?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 7: When he starts missing games?
Speaker 15: Okay, I mean this is this is so standard for Jerry Jones, the standard operating procedure when it comes to MICHAELH. Parsons, because you wait till last second to get your quarterback done, Dak Prescott, you wait till last second to get to get your wide receiver done and.
Speaker 7: So ceedee lamb.
Speaker 15: So the bottom line is this is the way they operate as a business. But this is also the reason that things have gone awry. Why you haven't won a divisional playoff round game since nineteen ninety five, Because if you do it to these guys, it creates a locker room full in my opinion, of independent contractors, you're like, if you're gonna take your stars and you're gonna rake them over the cools and you're gonna essentially, you know, give out some fake money contraction report that Dak Prescott is the highest gonna be the highest paid guy in the history of football, and you know some of the details in there are faulty, and he turns it down. Will you turn your fan base against your players? Your players look.
Speaker 7: At the management and say, what are we doing here?
Speaker 15: You knew that Michael Parsons Dan was a You knew he was a bona fide superstar from his rookie year. And the fact that you wait and you wait and you wait, it keeps you out of free agency. It keeps you out of doing the things that you need to do as a football franchise to have a legitimate chance, in my opinion, to win a championship. And so it's just the Dallas Cowboy way. I said it on my podcast, The Stink of Truth podcast. They are the Jacksonville Jaguars with better marketing. That's what the Dallas Cowboys are.
Speaker 2: If Jerryott actually relinquished the GM job, would they have been better? Would they have competed for champions would they have won championships in the last thirty years?
Speaker 15: Yeah, because I think they have. I think they've done a great job drafting. I think they are a really good, you know, really good football team. But there's more to it than that, Like when when your owner is the guy that's circumventing the authority of the coach or the people that are in place. Eventually that comes back to bitsha and ultimately for them, it's bitting them in the playoffs and those things. You know, it's hard to quantify and it's hard to put number on it, but I'm just telling you, when you have a backstaircase to the owner's office and if you don't like something going on within the organization as a player, you can go up there and talk to him about it, that is a That is not the way the structure is supposed to happen in an NFL franchise, and eventually it bites you.
Speaker 2: I always wonder about these holdout or hold ins and how that affects the locker room because to me, if I'm a Cowboy fan, I think this is going to get done. But what is the leftover acrimony? If there is, they're going to agree to a deal. He'll get forty five million, they'll hug laugh press conference, he'll be ready to go against the Eagles opening night. But I just don't know if there's spillover, and you know, as long as you played, and granted it's a different NFL now, but does it bleed into the locker room and if so, what does it do?
Speaker 15: Yeah, I just think that to win, to have a championship kind of caliber organization, you don't have the right culture to have that. And we talk about that all the time, but it's real right to have the kind of Hey, we're gonna sacrifice for each other, we're gonna play for one another, we're gonna do those things when there's some acrimony within that locker room. And ultimately you're right, you know, they'll agree to terms, they'll shake it out, they'll hug, everybody be happy. But inside that locker room, man, you kind of pick sides and ultimately, as a player, and you know, I'm never I was never a superstar. You know, I'm not one of those guys that you know that commands that kind of attention. But you got to remember that there's probably only three or four of those guys on each team. You know, the other fifty guys forty nine guys are me And you start looking at it from the standpoint of, hey, man, if they're going to do it to the superstar that's done everything the right way, the guy that came in here from the rookie year on and has played multiple positions, played inside, played outside, We've moved him around and he has just thrived and he is and he has created opportunity for us as a defense, and he's done everything the right way. And you're gonna kind of rake him over the coals or you're gonna make you You're gonna slow play this thing with him. Then what's gonna happen when I'm a free agent, What's gonna happen when I need a new contract?
Speaker 7: What's gonna happen to us?
Speaker 15: And I just think it creates animosity between, you know, the locker room downstairs and the front office upstairs, and that's a bad way to have a franchise like to be able to compete in this league.
Speaker 2: We're talking to Mark Schlareth NFL on Fox Analyst. I'm looking at the hold out with Cincinnati with Trey Hendricks and Terry McLaurin with Washington. Which one will have a bigger impact if they're not ready to go week one.
Speaker 15: I think the McLaurin McLaurin is just a guy that's gonna get twelve hundred yards regardless of who the quarterback is. And it's funny when you do Washington games. You know, when you travel around and to do a Washington game, you talk to other defensive coordinators around the league. The number one priority, nine times out of ten is how are we going to shut that guy down? How were we going to slow McLaurin down. And so he's not only that guy for Washington, but he's also that dude that when you talk to him and he just lights up a room.
Speaker 7: You know the old saying of there's two types of.
Speaker 15: People in the world, those who light up a room when they go walk into it and those who light up a room when they walk out of it. He lights up the room when he walks into it, right. He is just a guy that brings energy, brings excitement, a guy that's super respected within that locker room and within that community. So that guy, to me makes a huge difference. Listen, Trey Hendrickson is a phenomenal football player. Love watching him play, But in Cincinnati, the one thing they want to do is they want to sit back and shotgun and throw the football, and like the way they are built, the way they are constructed, they're going to try to outscore people.
Speaker 7: That's what they did last year.
Speaker 15: Their offensive coordinator came out this offseason said, Hey, we just got to outscore people, and I thought to myself, how'd that work for you last year. It's the dumbest thing I've ever heard, because the way they're constructed, they're not a playoff team. They're wasting Joe Burrow because they they basically make him play the entirety of four quarters on a high dive, and ultimately, that's a recipe for disaster, and you got to take that guy off the high dive occasionally. You've got to give him opportunities just to take a breather, and they never do. It's all on Joe Burrow twenty four to seven in Cincinnati. So whether they sign Hendrickson or not, that's not going to change the philosophy of how they play.
Speaker 2: I'm always curious how you know former players analysts read what a rookie quarterback does in the preseason, because this is what I hear, Well, it's preseason, or hey did you see.
Speaker 3: Jackson Dart light it up?
Speaker 2: And then I go, well, wait a minute, it's just pre season, Like when does it matter? And when does it not matter? With Shador Sanders look really good, Jackson Dart has looked really good. I you know, Jalen Milrow, I don't know what is real and not real, So help me out.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think that. I think that.
Speaker 15: You know, I always say this, and I think I probably stole it from John Lynch. But the preseason doesn't count. But it does matter. It matters how you play, It matters the attitude you have, It matters how you go out there and execute. And so ultimately, the preseason is the base of what you do. So if you're talking about the structure of an offense, for instance, here is what we are.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 15: As you get into the season, you build on that base, correct, Like you add plays that go with certain plays, right, you have adjunct plays based on what the defense does.
Speaker 7: So you're adding to that playbook.
Speaker 15: But the base of what you're going to do is what you execute in preseason. And if you're good at that stuff, I mean, I want back to back championships. In Denver, we ran six plays.
Speaker 7: Now we did it.
Speaker 15: Add a lot of different formations, a lot of personnel groupings, and.
Speaker 7: All that stuff.
Speaker 15: So that requires the quarterback to have more on his plate and you know, to orchestrate the motions and the shifts and all that stuff. But the bottom line, you're good at your base stuff, everything builds off of that. And so for Jackson Dart or Shadure Sanders, if you can execute the base stuff, well, if we're really good.
Speaker 7: At that, you know, it's like the ten thousand hour rule.
Speaker 15: It's we've done this as an offense ten thousand times.
Speaker 7: You've defended a one hundred times. We're better than you and we know it, and.
Speaker 15: We're just gonna go out and now execute you. You can have success as a rookie. Now, if you have to trick everything up Dan because you're not very good and you have to outscheme people.
Speaker 7: Well then you fall into trouble. Right. That's when when you can't just line up and.
Speaker 15: Say, man, we're really good at these five things and we can execute these five things and build off of those.
Speaker 7: Well, if you can't do that, then you're going to be in trouble.
Speaker 15: But if your rookie quarterback can execute those things, I think you're all right.
Speaker 7: I think you can move forward.
Speaker 2: Mark Celera joining us on behalf of Renegade Fantasy, the first fantasy game app allowing you to actually substitute in game if your player's not playing well or he gets injured. I got the details, right, Yeah, yeah, exactly right.
Speaker 15: They say, hey, listen, man, if you're a victim, right, don't play this game, right. If you want to blame somebody else, If you want to blame the running back for not having a great game, you know, and you want to have an excuse for not winning your fantasy league, and this is not the league for you. But if you're a responsibility taker, right and you say, hey, my running back is sucking hind you know what, we're going to move on from him, and we're gonna bench him in the first.
Speaker 7: Quarter and bring somebody else on.
Speaker 15: Or your quarterback gets injured on the fourth play of the game, like having to Aaron Rodgers a couple of years ago. Well yeah, you bring your backup in You still have an opportunity to win your league, great cash prizes. Can join my league, Mark schleret dot Renegade Fantasy dot com and uh and we.
Speaker 7: Can go head to head.
Speaker 2: You blocked for Trell Davis. He rushed for two thousand yards and you won the Super Bowl that year, correct, Yes, And I'm curious if you compared that season to what Saquon Barkley did last season with the Eagles, who had a best season.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I mean, Saquon was absolutely amazing. The Philadelphia Eagles, like just from top to bottom, their roster is just ridiculously good. So yeah, I just think that one of the things that has happened here in the recent years, and this business and the business of football is so cyclical. I think one of the things that's really been interesting to me is watch the resurgence of the running game and how much people are putting, the importance people are putting into that, and it's really it's really interesting to watch how offenses have kind of looked at what defenses have done to them. So this got to be such a passing league, Dan, and such small people that you know, in my day, everybody was you know, linebackers are two hundred and fifty pounds, right, and they're taking on guards and stuff. Now everybody's two fifteen, two twenty. They can run like the wins sideline to sideline. They got to cover, and offenses have just said, well, let's just play Smash Bob, Like I had this rule when I was playing. If a fight breaks out and it comes between the little guy and the big guy punched the little guy, they go down a lot faster, right, So if you can get a three hundred and thirty pound guard on a two hundred and fifteen pound linebacker, let's go.
Speaker 7: Or the fullbacks, like.
Speaker 15: How many fullbacks do you see in the league right now that are close to three hundred pounds that played detackle in college, Like it's the way it's going right now. I've been watching a bunch of preseason I'm watching fullbacks. They're my favorite players. I watching fullbacks like Ricard and this Oots kid in Seattle out of Alabama and he's just shortened necks out there, and I'm like, this is awesome. I love this style of football.
Speaker 7: I'm in Yeah.
Speaker 2: I years ago I kept say saying, somebody is going to be counterintuitive and they're going to run the ball because everybody was really uh lean. It was all about quickness, about getting to the quarterback. And I thought, if somebody gets a running game, it's almost like Whitey Herzog with his Cardinals in Saint Louis years ago. All they did is run. Yeah, and I still think you could do that in baseball where you had speed. Everybody's got power, but you have speed just to be different than somebody else. And now you're kind of seeing a renaissance, which I think is great for the game. I think it's great that you have these these running backs who are you know not you know, we basically kind of stripped them down and said, uh yeah, go out there, maybe past block and run out for some you know, pass catches.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's I love it. I love it as well.
Speaker 15: The other thing, you know, you get into is so there's so much side to side speed and these linebackers, like I mentioned two fifteen, two twenty, but can run like the wind, and they get advantages when you run the ball outside or you flip it out there in a screen game and all that stuff because they can just run and go tackle and hit people.
Speaker 7: So one of the things, you know, the.
Speaker 15: Thought process is, all right, well, if they've got the advantage of going side to side, let's slow them down and let's not let them move. So let's attack straight downhill with a tight zone or an ISO play, and let's put you know, Bob our back on your backer like our full back at three hundred pounds on your two hundred fifteen pounds linebacker, and let's make them stop their feet. Let's take the advantage of speed away from the defense, and let's just go after them.
Speaker 7: And you've seen a lot of that, man, I love watching.
Speaker 15: Obviously, it's a little bit different in Baltimore because you got to throw in Lamar Jackson into the mix with his ability to run. But I love that style of football. I'd love what they're doing in the run game right now. And you know, it reminds me of nineties football, which I'm all about.
Speaker 3: Meanest defensive lineman you blocked or tried.
Speaker 7: To, the meanest guy.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 15: John Randall was nasty. I mean, the guy Warren Sapp was nasty. But the guy that really, like myself and I think everybody was scared of, was uh, Lawrence Taylor. I mean, you know, he played linebacker quote unquote, but dude, you would break the huddle, man, and.
Speaker 7: You'd peak because you didn't want to look right.
Speaker 15: You'd peak, you'd had countercalled and you just kind of peeked down there and he's frothing at the bit and he like and you're just like, man, I gotta go trap this guy, and I know this is gonna hurt me a lot more than it's gonna hurt him. And you just didn't want to give him a hint. But he knew, and he just had that ability as soon as you come screaming down the line of a scrimmage man to sink his hips and lower his shoulder and then just explode into you. You knew maybe just like, oh man, he dog cussed me a couple of times and game and I thought for sure he's gonna kill me. Like I just was like, oh my gosh, may't cut him one time or something.
Speaker 7: They're like, if you ever do that again, you.
Speaker 15: Know You're like, yes, sir, mister Taylor, I won't never do it again.
Speaker 7: I promise. Uh.
Speaker 15: Yeah he was. He was frightening. What unbelievable, change the game, change the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was the first edge rusher. When you think we didn't call him an edge rusher. It was just a linebacker who was fast. And then Derek Brooks No, no, who was uh uh Derek Thomas.
Speaker 15: Derek Thomas Yeah, yeah, played that played that kind of edge. Yeah, we counted him as a big I tell you. The other thing we did with Lawrence is what I was just talking to you about. He couldn't run away from him. He chased everything down. So we just ran at him at all times and made him stop his feet. And that wasn't very successful either to him. But it was like the the lesson the.
Speaker 3: Lesser veteroth world.
Speaker 15: Yeah, we're gonna get her ass kicked either way, but we might will get her ass kicked.
Speaker 2: To the point, I remember an offensive coordinator saying that the best way to go after Alan Page of the Purple People leaders the Minnesota Vikings, was to go at him. And you know, I was trying to wrap my head around that logic that here's their best player Hall of famer, and he said, you must take away his legs, so go at him so you know where he is instead of he's going to eventually catch up to you.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I thought it was a brilliant approach. He said it wasn't always successful, but at least we knew Alan Page wasn't going to track down a running back.
Speaker 3: And it's the same with lt.
Speaker 15: Yeah, for sure. There's a couple of guys that we did that with. I tell you, you know, for the rap that Bill Belichick gets for, you know, being a curmudgeon and all that stuff.
Speaker 7: Man I did.
Speaker 15: I did a New England game a couple of years ago and sat down with Bill and we made our introductor and introductions around the table, and then he just looked at me and he goes, We've had some freaking battles, haven't we. And then we talked about Redskins giants back in the late eighties, early nineties, and we probably talked for thirty minutes. Had nothing to do with the game I was calling, just about that time and game planning, and it was.
Speaker 7: It was one of the coolest conversations I've ever had.
Speaker 2: Mark Schlareth Renegade Fantasy, the first fantasy game app that allows you to substitute in game if your player gets injured or you just don't like the way he's planned. Great to catch up with you again, Mark, Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 7: You gotta Dan, take care, buddy. Always good to be with you.
Speaker 3: We'll take a break.
Speaker 2: We'll update our poll results, some phone calls, and our play of the day right after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports radio dot com. And within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 3: Oh My God of the Day website.
Speaker 16: This is the play of the day.
Speaker 17: Check this out its Roman Hide, Roman, Reign Supreme and Gotham.
Speaker 1: That is a hit with runners in scoring position.
Speaker 3: A Segnor moment for Anthony Roman.
Speaker 2: Anthony the Red Sox rookie two for five three RBIs and his Yankee debut Boston a half game back the Yankees for the top wild card spot. That's your play of the day, brought to you by Express Employment Professionals. Quit the Enalyst online job search and enlist the pros and Express never charges you a fee to seek a job. Go to expresspros dot com. Buddha in San Francisco, Hi Buddha, No Buddy.
Speaker 16: Days the super Bowl Boys, Let's go Fritzy Dan. I wanted to quickly comment on Paully's shirt from earlier this week. If you let Polly barrow your happy Gilmore Too mustache, he'd give off major magnum p I vibes straight up Tom Selleck.
Speaker 3: Baby.
Speaker 18: But I was, I was.
Speaker 16: I was surfing the old air Quotes cable the other night and I stumbled across across the show called bye bye, Barry. What a fantastic job done by all and I had no idea you were in it DP, which was awesome. I mean, that was great and just reminded me of what could have been and how much talent the Lions just totally mishandled.
Speaker 3: Not good good, Thank you Buddha.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've known Barry a long long time his junior year at Oklahoma State Aiden in Utah. Hi, Aidan, what's on your mind?
Speaker 18: Hey, big man, good mon. I'm coming to you for some life advice on all of your wisdom. This weekend, I am going to propose to my girlfriend of four years, and I want any and all advice from you and all the Dennets.
Speaker 3: What is your plan?
Speaker 18: So I have told her we are having a family dinner up the mountain, which is something we usually do, so it shouldn't be she shouldn't suspect it, you know. And then I have a I have it set up. There'll be a sign there, I'll tuck away in from trees. I'll have a photographer hidden away and I'll just walk around the corner and I shall see it and it should hopefully be a complete surprise.
Speaker 8: Okay, Yes, Todd one thing that comes to mind for me because I don't have that because I propose the JFK airport and I can never go back to that exact spot.
Speaker 3: Is wherever spot he picks.
Speaker 8: Make sure it's a spot that in the future that you could always go back to that exact spot. Assume you're just gonna say yes so that that a spot will always be. Then you'll be able to find it and go romantically down thereat to SEB and we.
Speaker 2: Just couldn't go back to baggage claim a JFK with all the construction.
Speaker 8: I have no idea where that spot is anymore. But all I know is I wish I had done it. I had to do it because I was. We were flying out for a surprise trip to Miami after I propose, But I wish there was a spot where you can go to the exact place you got on the knee, which I can't serve.
Speaker 6: You'll only go to JFK if you absolutely have to go there, that is true. Never never visit for fun.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, make sure you got to play aid. I would say this if your family is going to be involved or there during the questioning, do it fast so nobody spoils it like I'm family member, walks in, sees the girl and says, howd go pull the trigger real quick?
Speaker 3: Yeah? See yeah.
Speaker 6: I think the longer you wait, the more nervous you're going to be. So just get in there. Like PAULI said, Also, in case you're thinking of being funny, you're not as funny as you think you are. I know that I don't know you, Aiden, but trust me, you're not as funny as you think you are.
Speaker 3: Don't try to make this funny. Just do it from the heart.
Speaker 2: Good luck, Aiden, we'd like to know about it next week. Perry and Charlotte Hi, Perry.
Speaker 19: Hey Dan, First Time, Long Time, five ten seventy on a good day, quick story, and then a question on promotion relegation college football. I was in the Bahamas a couple of months back for a wedding and we were we were taking the rental card to a boat day an hour of the island. We were trying to find some music to listen to on the radio. Scan the radio all I can find our fantash speaking stations until what do U stumble into the Dan Patrick Show. I know you joke about having strong followings and you know, random staves like Stockholm in Tokyo, but I can confirm you are accessible in that small island of a Luthra in the Bahamas.
Speaker 3: Awesome.
Speaker 19: Yeah, call back to a conversation just kind of the past couple of months with promotion relegation college football. What makes pro row works so well in European soccers. You know, they have a balanced schedule. They play home and aways with every team in the league. They play thirty eight game seasons. No team can say they played, you know, a tougher schedule than the other due to the league.
Speaker 2: Oh it's Stanholt seaton'll talk. Let's just bring that one back yet seat and we'll talk to you. Ed Werder, covering the Cowboys, joins us in about twenty minutes from now.